Genomes and Genes
Summary: Strong dependence, both physiological and emotional, upon heroin.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- Gray matter density negatively correlates with duration of heroin use in young lifetime heroin-dependent individualsYi Yuan
Laboratory for Higher Brain Function, Institute of Psychology, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Brain Cogn 71:223-8. 2009..These results provide compelling evidence for structural abnormality in heroin-dependent individuals and further suggest that duration of heroin use is a critical factor leading to brain damage...
- Addiction related alteration in resting-state brain connectivityNing Ma
Division of Bio X Interdisciplinary Sciences at the Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale, Department of Neurobiology and Biophysics, School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, China
Neuroimage 49:738-44. 2010....
- Interaction between dysfunctional connectivity at rest and heroin cues-induced brain responses in male abstinent heroin-dependent individualsJixin Liu
Life Sciences Research Center, School of Life Sciences and Technology, Xidian University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
PLoS ONE 6:e23098. 2011..Yet few studies considered the relevance of resting state dysfunctional connectivity to task-related neural activity in the same chronic heroin user (CHU)...
- Gray matter deficits and resting-state abnormalities in abstinent heroin-dependent individualsKai Yuan
Life Sciences Research Center, School of Life Sciences and Technology, Xidian University, Xi an 710071, China
Neurosci Lett 482:101-5. 2010..Our findings demonstrated that long heroin dependence impairs the right DLPFC in heroin-dependent individuals, including structural deficits and resting-state ..
- Deficits in dopamine D(2) receptors and presynaptic dopamine in heroin dependence: commonalities and differences with other types of addictionDiana Martinez
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Biol Psychiatry 71:192-8. 2012..The goal of the present study was to investigate these parameters of striatal dopamine transmission in heroin dependence and their association with drug seeking behavior.
- Frontal and cingulate gray matter volume reduction in heroin dependence: optimized voxel-based morphometryHaihong Liu
Mental Health Institute, Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 63:563-8. 2009..The volume changes of gray matter (GM) of these brain regions, however, have not been identified in heroin addiction...
- Gender differences in physical and mental health outcomes among an aging cohort of individuals with a history of heroin dependenceChristine E Grella
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, 11075 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90025 7535, United States
Addict Behav 37:306-12. 2012This paper examines the health status and functioning of an aging cohort of individuals with a history of heroin dependence with a focus on gender differences.
- Scaling up the national methadone maintenance treatment program in China: achievements and challengesWenyuan Yin
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
Int J Epidemiol 39:ii29-37. 2010..This article documents the steps China made in overcoming the many barriers to success of its methadone program. These lessons might be useful for other countries in the region that are scaling-up their methadone programs...
- Impaired response inhibition function in abstinent heroin dependents: an fMRI studyLi ping Fu
Department of Neurobiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Neurosci Lett 438:322-6. 2008....
- Cognitive impulsivity in cocaine and heroin polysubstance abusersAntonio J Verdejo-García
Dept Personalidad, Evaluacion y Tratamiento Psicologico, Universidad de Granada, Campus de Cartuja, S N, 18071 Granada, Spain
Addict Behav 32:950-66. 2007..These deficits are prominent in different domains associated with cognitive impulsivity, including response inhibition and decision-making. The extent and nature of these deficits may depend on the principal substance of abuse...
- Heroin-assisted treatment in Switzerland: a case study in policy changeAmbros Uchtenhagen
Research Institute on Public Health and Addiction at Zurich University, Zurich, Switzerland
Addiction 105:29-37. 2010..The high visibility of 'needle parks' and the size of the acquired immune deficiency disorder (AIDS) epidemic called for a new approach and for national leadership...
- Depression among heroin users: 12-Month outcomes from the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS)Alys Havard
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
J Subst Abuse Treat 30:355-62. 2006..Although caution in interpreting these relationships is advised given the potential for confounding by client characteristics, the findings of this study illustrate the need to consider depression in the treatment of heroin dependence.
- Structural deficits in the emotion circuit and cerebellum are associated with depression, anxiety and cognitive dysfunction in methadone maintenance patients: a voxel-based morphometric studyWei Che Lin
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Psychiatry Res 201:89-97. 2012..These results reveal that MMT patients have low GMV in brain regions that are hypothesized to influence cognition and emotion, and the GMV findings might be involved comorbid disorders in the MMT group...
- Impaired decision-making in psychopathic heroin addictsJasmin Vassileva
Department of Psychiatry MC 912, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1601 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 86:287-9. 2007..Results indicate that the presence of psychopathy may exacerbate decision-making deficits in heroin addicts...
- Why do so many drug users smoke?Robert M McCool
Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Mail Stop 1008, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 25:43-9. 2003..Third, smoking differed from drug use because it had fewer acute consequences. Because smoking, methadone, and drug use are closely interrelated, future addictions research and treatment protocols should address them in combination...
- White matter impairment in heroin addicts undergoing methadone maintenance treatment and prolonged abstinence: a preliminary DTI studyYarong Wang
Department of Radiology, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, 1 Xinsi Road, Baqiao District, Xi an 710038, China
Neurosci Lett 494:49-53. 2011..Our preliminary results suggest that methadone plays a role in the impairment of WM integrity in heroin users on long-term MMT and the normalization of WM injury may occur during abstinence...
- Association study of polymorphisms in the promoter region of DRD4 with schizophrenia, depression, and heroin addictionJ H Lai
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Public Health for Forensic Science, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, China
Brain Res 1359:227-32. 2010..022). Interestingly, there is a stronger finding with -521 C/T allele frequencies with heroin dependence (p=0.0002)...
- Functional connectivity analysis of the neural circuits of opiate craving: "more" rather than "different"?Mark R C Daglish
Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, UK
Neuroimage 20:1964-70. 2003..This argues that neural circuits of dependence and craving are not specific "craving" or "addiction" brain regions but are "normal" circuits activated to a greater degree...
- Craving correlates with mesolimbic responses to heroin-related cues in short-term abstinence from heroin: an event-related fMRI studyQiang Li
Department of Radiology, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Brain Res 1469:63-72. 2012..We suggest that these response patterns characterize the high vulnerability of relapse in short-term abstinent heroin-dependent subjects...
- Dental health in a group of drug addicts in ItalyI F Angelillo
Institute of Hygiene, Medical School, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:36-7. 1991..37 and 1.71, respectively. The poor dental health in this target group indicates the need for more extensive collaboration between the social and dental health care sectors...
- Effects of stress on decision-making deficits in formerly heroin-dependent patients after different durations of abstinenceXiao Li Zhang
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing, China
Am J Psychiatry 168:610-6. 2011..little is known about the time course of changes in decision-making ability after abstinence or about the effects of stress on decision making in individuals recovering from heroin dependence after different durations of abstinence.
- Oral health status of heroin users in a rehabilitation centre in Hubei province, ChinaM Du
Department of Preventive Dentistry, College and Hospital of Stomatology, Hubei Medical University, Wuhan City, PR China
Community Dent Health 18:94-8. 2001..Mucosal lesions were not widely prevalent. Both social factors and characteristics of drug use were related to oral health in this group...
- Dentition of addiction in Queensland: poor dental status and major contributing drugsA S Reece
Southcity Medical Centre, Brisbane, Queensland
Aust Dent J 52:144-9. 2007..Although it is said that drug addiction is associated with poor dental health, there is little research in this area. In particular, there is little work comparing the effects of the different drugs of addiction...
- Four-year follow-up of imprisoned male heroin users and methadone treatment: mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C infectionKate A Dolan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Addiction 100:820-8. 2005..To examine the long-term impact of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) on mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C seroconversion in imprisoned male heroin users...
- ABCB1 (MDR1) genetic variants are associated with methadone doses required for effective treatment of heroin dependenceOrna Levran
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:2219-27. 2008..026). These data suggest that specific ABCB1 variants may have clinical relevance by influencing the methadone dose required to prevent withdrawal symptoms and relapse in this population...
- Dysfunctional connectivity patterns in chronic heroin users: an fMRI studyJixin Liu
Life Science Research Center, School of Electronic Engineering, Xidian University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710071, China
Neurosci Lett 460:72-7. 2009..This dysfunctional brain connectivity may contribute to decrease self-control, impaired inhibitory function as well deficits in stress regulation in chronic heroin users...
- Psychiatric comorbidity reduces quality of life in chronic methadone maintained patientsPieter J Carpentier
Novadic Kentron, Network for Addiction Treatment Services, Vught, The Netherlands
Am J Addict 18:470-80. 2009..Such comorbid psychopathology substantially affects quality of life. The negative influence of comorbid psychopathology on quality of life is an important reason to provide additional mental health services for MMT patients...
- Neural activity associated with cognitive regulation in heroin users: A fMRI studyTatia M C Lee
Neuropsychology Laboratory, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PR China
Neurosci Lett 382:211-6. 2005..The pattern of imaging data obtained resembled the pattern of data observed in immature brains attempting to exercise cognitive control of behavior. Further theoretical and clinical implications of the findings are discussed...
- A randomised controlled trial of methadone maintenance treatment versus wait list control in an Australian prison systemKate A Dolan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 72:59-65. 2003..The aim was to determine whether methadone maintenance treatment reduced heroin use, syringe sharing and HIV or hepatitis C incidence among prisoners...
- Genetic analysis of AUTS2 as a susceptibility gene of heroin dependenceYun Hsiang Chen
Division of Mental Health and Addiction Medicine, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Drug Alcohol Depend 128:238-42. 2013Both alcoholism and heroin dependence are common substance use disorders with a high genetic basis...
- Costs of addressing heroin addiction in Malaysia and 32 comparable countries worldwideJennifer Prah Ruger
Yale School of Public Health, Health Policy and Administration, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Health Serv Res 47:865-87. 2012..Develop and apply new costing methodologies to estimate costs of opioid dependence treatment in countries worldwide...
- Dopamine receptor D4 gene -521C/T polymorphism is associated with opioid dependence through cold-pain responsesAda M C Ho
Department of Anatomy, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong S A R, China
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1139:20-6. 2008..The dopamine receptor D4 gene (DRD4) is associated with heroin dependence; one of its polymorphisms is a C/T variation 521 bp upstream to the gene (-521C/T)...
- Combined effect of promoter polymorphisms in the dopamine D4 receptor and the serotonin transporter genes in heroin dependenceAgnes Szilagyi
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 7:28-33. 2005..Association between the -521 CC vs. CT or TT genotypes and heroin dependence was enhanced in the presence of short (s or 14-repeat) 5-HTTLPR allele (p 0.01). The odds ratio of 2...
- Smoking cessation among Australian methadone clients: prevalence, characteristics and a need for actionJenny Bowman
School of Psychology, Faculty of Science and Information Technology, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 31:507-13. 2012..The aim of this study was to describe a sample of Australian methadone clients with respect to smoking and cessation-related behaviours and motivations...
- PET imaging of dopamine transporter and drug craving during methadone maintenance treatment and after prolonged abstinence in heroin usersJie Shi
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Eur J Pharmacol 579:160-6. 2008..Our findings suggest that chronic opioid use induces long-lasting striatum dopamine neuron impairment, and prolonged withdrawal from opioids can benefit the recovery of impaired dopamine neurons in the brain...
- Feasibility and outcome of substitution treatment of heroin-dependent patients in specialized substitution centers and primary care facilities in Germany: a naturalistic study in 2694 patientsHans Ulrich Wittchen
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitaet Dresden, Chemnitzerstrasse 46, 01187 Dresden, Germany
Drug Alcohol Depend 95:245-57. 2008..Despite many short-term studies, little is known about the long-term (12-month) effects of these treatments in different settings, i.e. primary care-based (PMC) and specialized substitution centers (SSCs)...
- [Two methods to analyze trends in the incidence of heroin and cocaine use in Barcelona [Spain]]Albert Sanchez-Niubó
Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Espana
Gac Sanit 21:397-403. 2007..To describe 2 statistical methods for estimating trends in the incidence of heroin and cocaine use in Barcelona...
- Ten-year survival analysis of a cohort of heroin addicts in Catalonia: the EMETYST projectX Sanchez-Carbonell
Blanquerna Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Ramon Llull University, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 95:941-8. 2000..To determine mortality rates and immediate causes of death in a cohort of heroin addicts, and to compare them with other European samples...
- Risk of fatal overdose during and after specialist drug treatment: the VEdeTTE study, a national multi-site prospective cohort studyMarina Davoli
Department of Epidemiology, Rome, Italy
Addiction 102:1954-9. 2007..Specialist drug treatment is critical to overdose prevention; methadone maintenance is effective, but we lack evidence for other modalities. We evaluate the impact of a range of treatments for opiate dependence on overdose mortality...
- Thirsty heroin addicts show different fMRI activations when exposed to water-related and drug-related cuesZhuangwei Xiao
Guangdong Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Imaging, The 1st Affiliated Hospital of the Medical School of Shantou University, Shantou, China
Drug Alcohol Depend 83:157-62. 2006..As the first fMRI study of heroin craving, our study adds to the scant but much-needed brain imaging literature on heroin addiction...
- Depression among entrants to treatment for heroin dependence in the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS): prevalence, correlates and treatment seekingMaree Teesson
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 78:309-15. 2005To determine the rate of current major depressive disorder (MDD) among entrants to treatment for heroin dependence in three treatment modalities and a non-treatment comparison group; and to ascertain factors associated with depression.
- Prescribing naloxone to actively injecting heroin users: a program to reduce heroin overdose deathsSarz Maxwell
Chicago Recovery Alliance, Chicago, IL, USA
J Addict Dis 25:89-96. 2006..This trend reversed in 2001, with a 20% decrease in 2001 and 10% decreases in 2002 and 2003...
- 30-year trajectories of heroin and other drug use among men and women sampled from methadone treatment in CaliforniaChristine E Grella
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 118:251-8. 2011..This study examines 30-year trajectories of heroin and other drug use among men and women who were in methadone maintenance treatment in California in the late 1970s and interviewed in 1978-1981...
- CYP2B6 and OPRM1 gene variations predict methadone-related deathsHannah Bunten
Centre for Forensic Sciences, Bournemouth University, UK
Addict Biol 16:142-4. 2011..Screening for these susceptibility variations prior to methadone prescription could assist in reducing the potential for serious adverse effects...
- The investigation of HIV and HCV infection and risk factors among opiate drug users in Beijing, ChinaYan Ping Bao
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing, PR China
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 38:140-5. 2012..To explore the prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) and the risk factors among opiate drug users in Beijing...
- Long-term methadone maintenance reduces protracted symptoms of heroin abstinence and cue-induced craving in Chinese heroin abusersJie Shi
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 87:141-5. 2007..PA symptoms have rarely been compared between drug-free and methadone-maintained former heroin users after similar lengths of heroin abstinence...
- Potential association of DRD2 and DAT1 genetic variation with heroin dependenceQiao Fang Hou
Key Laboratory of the National Ministry of Health for Forensic Sciences, College of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, 76 Yanta West Road, Xi an 710061, PR China
Neurosci Lett 464:127-30. 2009..However, no significant differences in the DAT1 VNTR were found between the two groups in either genotypic or allelic distributions and there was no gene interaction between the two genetic loci...
- Quality of life among heroin users on buprenorphine versus methadone maintenanceAlexander M Ponizovsky
Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33:631-42. 2007..To assess the quality of life (QoL) of heroin users starting and following 4 and 8 months of maintenance treatment program using buprenorphine vs. methadone...
- A randomised trial of the cost effectiveness of buprenorphine as an alternative to methadone maintenance treatment for heroin dependence in a primary care settingAnthony H Harris
Centre for Health Program Evaluation, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Pharmacoeconomics 23:77-91. 2005Buprenorphine offers an alternative to methadone in the treatment of heroin dependence, and has the advantage of allowing alternate-day dosing...
- Predictors of retention in community-based methadone maintenance treatment program in Pearl River Delta, ChinaFang Yang
Institute for AIDS Prevention and Control, Center for Disease Control and Prevention of Guangdong Province, 176 Xin gang road west, Guangzhou, 510300, China
Harm Reduct J 10:3. 2013..The aims were to identify predictors of treatment retention in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) clinics in Pearl River Delta, China...
- Cardiac autonomic modulation during methadone therapy among heroin users: a pilot studyLi Ren Chang
Department of Psychiatry, National Taiwan University Hospital, Yun Lin branch, Yunlin, Taiwan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 37:188-93. 2012..We conduct the current study to explore the cardiac vagal function in heroin users as well as the impact of lapse and methadone therapy...
- Change in quality of life and its predictors in heroin users receiving methadone maintenance treatment in Taiwan: an 18-month follow-up studyPeng Wei Wang
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 38:213-9. 2012..Therefore, it is of clinical benefit to examine what factors can predict a change in QOL among heroin users in the course of a methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) program...
- Substance use and quality of life over 12 months among buprenorphine maintenance-treated and methadone maintenance-treated heroin-addicted patientsIcro Maremmani
Vincent P Dole Research Team, Department of Psychiatry NPB, Santa Chiara University Hospital, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Subst Abuse Treat 33:91-8. 2007..This study suggests the long-term efficacy of methadone treatment and buprenorphine treatment on symptoms of opioid addiction and quality of life...
- The cost-effectiveness of prize-based and voucher-based contingency management in a population of cocaine- or opioid-dependent outpatientsTodd A Olmstead
University of Connecticut Health Center, Department of Medicine, 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030 3944, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 102:108-15. 2009..To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of using prize-based and voucher-based contingency management (CM) as additions to standard treatment for cocaine- or heroin-dependent outpatients in community treatment centers...
- Selective cognitive processing of drug cues in heroin dependenceI H Franken
Parnassia Addiction Research Centre, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Psychopharmacol 14:395-400. 2000..The finding are discussed in the context of selective information processing in general psychopathology and in motivational processes as addiction specifically...
- Agonist-like or antagonist-like treatment for cocaine dependence with methadone for heroin dependence: two double-blind randomized clinical trialsJohn Grabowski
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, Substance Abuse Mediation Development Research Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:969-81. 2004..They coincide with our previous reports of amphetamine or risperidone administered singly in cocaine-dependent individuals...
- Role of novelty seeking personality traits as mediator of the association between COMT and onset age of drug use in Chinese heroin dependent patientsTing Li
Shanghai Mental Health Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e22923. 2011..Personality traits such as novelty seeking (NS) are associated with substance dependence but the mechanism underlying this association remains uncertain. Previous studies have focused on the role of the dopamine pathway...
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of heroin detoxification methods in the Australian National Evaluation of Pharmacotherapies for Opioid Dependence (NEPOD)M D Shanahan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre NDARC, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Addict Behav 31:371-87. 2006..The buprenorphine-based outpatient detoxification method was found to be the most cost-effective method overall, and rapid opioid detoxification under sedation was the most cost-effective inpatient method...
- Amplitude low-frequency oscillation abnormalities in the heroin users: a resting state fMRI studyGui hua Jiang
Department of Medical Imaging, Guangdong No 2 Provincial People s Hospital, Guangzhou, PR China
Neuroimage 57:149-54. 2011..This resting-state fMRI study suggests that the changed spontaneous neuronal activity of these regions may be implicated in the underlying pathophysiology of heroin addicts...
- Quality of life of outpatients in methadone maintenance treatment clinicsLin Xiao
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:S116-20. 2010..To explore the quality of life (QOL) changes in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) clinic outpatients in the first 3 months of treatment...
- Acute effect of methadone maintenance dose on brain FMRI response to heroin-related cuesDaniel D Langleben
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Treatment Research Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:390-4. 2008..cues have been implicated as a cause of illicit heroin use during methadone maintenance treatment of heroin dependence. The authors sought to identify the functional neuroanatomy of the brain response to visual heroin-related ..
- Combining spatial and temporal information to explore resting-state networks changes in abstinent heroin-dependent individualsKai Yuan
Life Sciences Research Center, School of Life Sciences and Technology, Xidian University, Xi an 710071, China
Neurosci Lett 475:20-4. 2010....
- Effects of nicotine on methadone self-administration in humansR Spiga
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 50:157-65. 1998..Ratings of cigarette craving were significantly less following ad libitum smoking or administration of 4-mg nicotine gum, than following abstinence. Implications for understanding opioid and nicotine interactions are discussed...
- Primary care office-based buprenorphine treatment: comparison of heroin and prescription opioid dependent patientsBrent A Moore
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:527-30. 2007..Prescription opioid dependence is increasing, but treatment outcomes with office-based buprenorphine/naloxone among these patients have not been described...
- Altered small-world brain functional networks and duration of heroin use in male abstinent heroin-dependent individualsKai Yuan
Life Sciences Research Center, School of Life Sciences and Technology, Xidian University, Xi an 710071, China
Neurosci Lett 477:37-42. 2010..Our findings suggested that there is abnormal functional organization in heroin-dependent individuals and that the duration of heroin use is a critical factor leading to the altered brain connectivity...
- Stress-induced relapse to heroin and cocaine seeking in rats: a reviewY Shaham
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, IRP NIDA NIH, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 33:13-33. 2000..Finally, we consider the mechanisms that might underlie stress-induced relapse to drug seeking and the possible implications of the findings for the treatment of relapse to drug use in humans...
- The characteristics of heroin users entering treatment: findings from the Australian treatment outcome study (ATOS)Joanne Ross
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 24:411-8. 2005..the characteristics (demographics, drug use, mental and physical health) of entrants to treatment for heroin dependence in three treatment modalities; and to compare these characteristics with heroin users not in or seeking ..
- Reductions in criminal convictions after addiction treatment: 5-year follow-upMichael Gossop
National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, 4 Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, UK
Drug Alcohol Depend 79:295-302. 2005..Reduced criminality also provides substantial economic benefits to society...
- One year outcomes for heroin dependence: findings from the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS)Maree Teesson
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, NSW, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 83:174-80. 2006To determine 1 year outcomes for drug use, criminality, psychopathology and injection-related health problems in those entering treatment for heroin dependence in Australia.
- Neurophysiological evidence for abnormal cognitive processing of drug cues in heroin dependenceIngmar H A Franken
Institute of Psychology, Erasmus University, Woudestein J5 43, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 170:205-12. 2003..Recent studies provide evidence for specific aspects of cue processing in addictive disorders...
- Disrupted white matter integrity in heroin dependence: a controlled study utilizing diffusion tensor imagingHaihong Liu
Institute of Mental Health, Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, China
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 34:562-75. 2008..White matter abnormalities have been shown, but it remains unclear whether the white matter FA is altered in heroin dependence.
- Attitudes about prescribing take-home naloxone to injection drug users for the management of heroin overdose: a survey of street-recruited injectors in the San Francisco Bay AreaKaren H Seal
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Urban Health 80:291-301. 2003..Nevertheless, strategies for overcoming potential risks associated with the use of take-home naloxone would need to be emphasized in an overdose management training program...
- Cognitive impairment in methadone maintenance patientsMiriam Z Mintzer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Behavioral Biology Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5510 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:41-51. 2002....
- Maternal and neonatal effects of substance abuse during pregnancy: our ten-year experienceMirjana Vucinovic
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Split University Hospital, Split, Croatia
Yonsei Med J 49:705-13. 2008..The aim of the study was to assess perinatal outcome of pregnancy burdened with maternal addiction in comparison with an unselected population from a European transition country...
- Psychosocial and treatment correlates of opiate free success in a clinical review of a naltrexone implant programA S Reece
Southcity Family Medical Centre, University of Queensland, 39 Gladstone Rd, Highgate Hill, Brisbane, Queensland, 4101, Australia
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 2:35. 2007..We were also interested to review our experience with two depot forms of implantable naltrexone...
- Clinical characteristics and risk behavior as a function of HIV status among heroin users enrolled in methadone treatment in northern TaiwanTony Szu Hsien Lee
Department of Health Promotion and Health Education, National Taiwan Normal University, No 162, He ping East Road, Section 1, Taipei 10610, Taiwan
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 6:6. 2011..The present study was aimed at examining the clinical and behavioral characteristics of methadone patients in northern Taiwan according to their HIV status...
- Neuropsychological functioning in opiate-dependent subjects receiving and following methadone maintenance treatmentJames Prosser
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10003, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 84:240-7. 2006..This study tests the hypothesis that former heroin users who have detoxified from methadone maintenance therapy and are drug-free have less pronounced cognitive impairment than patients continuing long-term MMT...
- Torsade de pointes associated with very-high-dose methadoneMori J Krantz
Denver Health Medical Center, and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Bannock Street, Mailcode 0960, Denver, CO 80204 4507, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:501-4. 2002..A methadone derivative, levacetylmethadol, was withdrawn from the European market after being associated with torsade de pointes. To date, no association between methadone and this arrhythmia has been described...
- The Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS): what have we learnt about treatment for heroin dependence?Shane Darke
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:49-54. 2007..It is argued that treatment for heroin dependence is money well spent, and leads to clear and sustained benefits to both heroin users and society.
- Methadone and buprenorphine for the management of opioid dependence: a systematic review and economic evaluationM Connock
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:1-171, iii-iv. 2007..To assess the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of buprenorphine maintenance therapy (BMT) and methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) for the management of opioid-dependent individuals...
- Heroin self-administration: II. CNS gene expression following withdrawal and cue-induced drug-seeking behaviorKARA L KUNTZ
Department of Pharmacology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, R130, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 90:349-56. 2008..These latter observations of persistent changes in gene expression following abstinence may reflect molecular correlates of relapse liability...
- Association of dopamine and opioid receptor genetic polymorphisms with response to methadone maintenance treatmentSeverine Crettol
Unité de Biochimie et de Psychopharmacologie Clinique, Centre de Neurosciences Psychiatriques, Departement de Psychiatrie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois et Universite de Lausanne, Hôpital de Cery, CH 1008 Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1722-7. 2008..Genetic variations of the dopamine and opioid receptors could influence the response to methadone maintenance treatment (MMT)...
- 1-year retention and social function after buprenorphine-assisted relapse prevention treatment for heroin dependence in Sweden: a randomised, placebo-controlled trialJohan Kakko
Division of Psychiatry, Neurotec, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, S 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 361:662-8. 2003The partial opiate-receptor agonist buprenorphine has been suggested for treatment of heroin dependence, but there are few long-term and placebo-controlled studies of its effectiveness...
- Improving clinical outcomes in treating heroin dependence: randomized, controlled trial of oral or implant naltrexoneGary K Hulse
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1108-15. 2009..Oral naltrexone hydrochloride effectively antagonizes heroin, but its utility is limited by patient noncompliance. Sustained-release preparations may overcome this limitation...
- Compliance with hepatitis B vaccination in 1175 heroin users and risk factors associated with lack of vaccine responseGianluca Quaglio
Medical Service for Addictive Disorders, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Verona, Italy
Addiction 97:985-92. 2002..To investigate the feasibility of hepatitis B vaccination among heroin users, assessing adherence to the vaccination schedules and identifying factors associated with antibody response...
- Psychiatric comorbidity in young heroin usersM C Rodríguez-Llera
Health Services Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica IMIM, Dr Aiguader 80, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 84:48-55. 2006..Of 149 individuals evaluated, 33% were women, whose mean age was 25.1 years; 93% received a diagnosis of heroin dependence and 71% of cocaine dependence. Thirty-two percent of the subjects had never been treated for substance use...
- Prescription opioid abuse among enrollees into methadone maintenance treatmentAndrew Rosenblum
Institute for Treatment and Services Research, National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, New York, NY 10010, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 90:64-71. 2007..Future studies should describe HIV/HCV needle injection practices, characteristics that predict treatment outcomes, and factors that contribute to higher prevalence of persistent pain among PO abusers...
- Drug-related mortality and fatal overdose risk: pilot cohort study of heroin users recruited from specialist drug treatment sites in LondonMatthew Hickman
Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour, Social Science and Medicine, Imperial College, London
J Urban Health 80:274-87. 2003..The pilot study showed that these studies are feasible and ethical, and that specialist drug agencies could have a vital role to play in the monitoring of drug-related mortality...
- Association of VNTR polymorphisms in the MAOA promoter and DRD4 exon 3 with heroin dependence in male Chinese addictsChia Chang Chien
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Armed Forces General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:409-16. 2010....
- Dynamic neural responses to cue-reactivity paradigms in heroin-dependent users: an fMRI studyZheng Yang
Center of Brain and Cognition, Beijing Institute of Basic Medical Science, Beijing, China
Hum Brain Mapp 30:766-75. 2009..It is suggested that the dynamic response patterns in the PFC system characterize the impaired brain control functions in heroin-dependent subjects...
- Association between heroin dependence and prodynorphin gene polymorphismsS G Wei
Department of Forensic Science, School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Key Laboratory of Ministry of Public Health for Forensic Science, Xi an, Shannxi, PR China
Brain Res Bull 85:238-42. 2011..This study examined potential association between heroin dependence and four single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of prodynorphin (PDYN) gene (rs35286281 in promoter region ..
- [More than thirty years of illicit drugs in Spain: a bitter story with some messages for the future]Luis de la Fuente
Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid
Rev Esp Salud Publica 80:505-20. 2006..More than 300,000 persons were treated for heroin dependence, 20,000-25,000 died from overdose, 100,000 became infected with HIV through drug injection and quite more ..
- Cue-elicited craving in heroin addicts at different abstinent time: an fMRI pilot studyMingwu Lou
Department of Radiology, Longgang Central Hospital, Shenzhen, China
Subst Use Misuse 47:631-9. 2012..We evaluated the effect of short-term and long-term heroin abstinence on brain responses to heroin-related cues using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)...
- [Pathological analysis of heroin spongiform leukoencephalopathy]Jia Yin
Department of Neurology, Nangfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 27:881-3. 2007..To investigate the pathological characteristics of heroin spongiform leukoencephalopathy (HSLE)...
- Rapid transmission of hepatitis C virus among young injecting heroin users in Southern ChinaRebecca J Garten
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Int J Epidemiol 33:182-8. 2004..Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is quickly spread through injection drug use. The prevalence and incidence of HCV in Chinese heroin users has been rarely reported...
- Behavioral drug and HIV risk reduction counseling (BDRC) with abstinence-contingent take-home buprenorphine: a pilot randomized clinical trialM C Chawarski
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 94:281-4. 2008....
- Methadone-mediated autonomic functioning of male patients with heroin dependence: the influence of borderline personality patternWei Lieh Huang
Department of Psychiatry, National Taiwan University Hospital, Yun Lin branch, Yunlin, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e37464. 2012..This study applies heart rate variability (HRV) measurements and the Tridimensional Personality Questionnaire (TPQ) to examine this hypothesis...
- Prefrontal cortex AMPA receptor plasticity is crucial for cue-induced relapse to heroin-seekingMichel C van den Oever
Department of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research, VU University Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1085, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Neurosci 11:1053-8. 2008..As reexposure to conditioned stimuli is a major cause for heroin relapse, inhibition of GluR2 endocytosis may provide a new target for the treatment of heroin addiction...
- Heroin dependenceRandy Brown
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, USA
WMJ 103:20-6. 2004..The risks associated with heroin dependence, such as HIV and viral hepatitis, and the social costs due to associated crime and poverty exceed those of ..
- Short-term methadone administration reduces alcohol consumption in non-alcoholic heroin addictsF Caputo
G Fontana Centre for the Study and Treatment of Alcohol Addiction, Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology and Hepatology, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti n 9th, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Alcohol Alcohol 37:164-8. 2002Methadone, a synthetic opioid agonist, is commonly used for the treatment of heroin dependence. Depending on how alcohol addiction is defined, rates of alcoholism vary among those attending methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) ..
- Acute effects of sublingual buprenorphine on brain responses to heroin-related cues in early-abstinent heroin addicts: an uncontrolled trialW Mei
Guangdong Key Lab of Medical Molecular Imaging and Department of Radiology, the First Affiliated Hospital of the Medical College of Shantou University, Shantou, PR China
Neuroscience 170:808-15. 2010....
- NOVEL COCAINE PHARMACOTHERAPIES: LAB STUDIESMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF HEROIN DEPENDENCEMing Tsuang; Fiscal Year: 2004..main goal of the proposed study is to detect one or more genes responsible for the genetic transmission of heroin dependence. Our Specific Aims respond to those specified in the RFA: 1) To collect and clinically characterize a large ..
- Licit &Illicit Opioids: Comparative Studies in HumansSharon L Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): While rates of heroin dependence have been fairly stable over the last several years, rates of prescription opioid abuse, dependence and diversion have risen significantly...
- Diversion to treatment for injection drug users arrested for possession of heroinAnthony DeFulio; Fiscal Year: 2013..MMT is an effective treatment for heroin dependence, and appears very effective for criminal offenders...
- The Function of Methadone in Metabolic-& Pharmacokinetic-Based Drug InteractionsANTONIA TOLSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Methadone is the most established substitute for treating heroin dependence &is also prescribed to treat chronic pain...
- Homeostatic Plasticity in the BNST and Drug AbusePietro P Sanna; Fiscal Year: 2013..we proposed to 1) investigate changes in synaptic and intrinsic properties of jcBNST neurons associated with heroin dependence using a combination of conventional electrophysiological methods and the dynamic clamp, an innovative ..
- Using PET to Image the Neurochemistry of AddictionDIANA M MARTINEZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies include research done in cocaine, alcohol, and heroin dependence, and show that each of these disorders is associated with a loss of D2/3 receptor binding and pre-synaptic ..
- A STUDY OF ANESTHESIA-ASSISTED HEROIN DETOXIFICATIONHerbert Kleber; Fiscal Year: 2001b>Heroin dependence has reemerged as a significant public health problem in the 1990's, and with that, there has been renewed interest in improving methods of opioid detoxification...
- PET Imaging of Mesolimbic Dopamine in Heroin DependenceDiana Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Heroin dependence has become a public health problem with increasing morbidity and mortality. The pre-clinical animal literature suggests that dysregualtionof the mesolimbic dopamine system is involved in the vulnerability to relapse...
- NEUROIMAGING OF HIV AND COMORBID DISORDERSLance Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., antisocial personality disorder), comorbid disorders (e.g., mood disorder; cocaine, alcohol, or heroin dependence), and markers of disease severity (e.g...
- Reducing Cocaine/Heroin Abuse with SR-Amphetamine and BuprenorphineMark Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cocaine and heroin dependence pose disproportionate public health, social, and economic problems via increased risk of medical and psychiatric morbidities, crime, and poor treatment outcome...
- Human Laboratory Model of Cocaine Treatment: Behavioral Economic AnalysisMark K Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF COGNITIVE GAINS WITH OPIATE MAINTENANCESTEVEN FORMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Heroin dependence remains a major public health problem in the United States...
- PAIN AND ANALGESIC RESPONSE--SEX AND HORMONE VARIATIONSSandra Comer; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, they will more carefully examine sex differences in analgesic response to butorphanol and morphine, two agonists with differing selectivities for mu and kappa opioid receptors. ..
- BUPRENORPHINE ABUSE BY HUMANS--LABORATORY STUDIESSandra Comer; Fiscal Year: 2002Heroin use and treatment admissions for heroin dependence have been increasing steadily. Clearly, there is a need for new effective treatments for opioid dependence...
- Sustained-Release Naltrexone for Opioid Dependence: Longitudinal Study in HumansSandra D Comer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Heroin Addiction Treatment: Naltrexone and LofexidineThomas Kosten; Fiscal Year: 2007..Primary outcomes will be drop-out and relapse to heroin dependence, adherence to medication, and protracted withdrawal symptoms; secondary outcomes will be HIV risk, ..
- DRUG ABUSE: EPIDEMIOLOGY, TREATMENT PROCESS, & OUTCOMESYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2003..The applicant also expects to grow professionally as Associate Director of the UCLA Drug Abuse Research Center. ..
- Reducing HIV/AIDS and Drug Abuse: Linking Compulsory Rehabilitation to Methadone Yih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2008..If proven effective, the program can be widely applied in China and in other parts of the world to reduce heroin use and related HIV risk behaviors. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Readiness for Implementation of Research to PracticeYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A 12 YEAR FOLLOW UP OF A COCAINE DEPENDENT SAMPLEYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A Long-term Follow-up Study of Drug-Dependent Mothers and ChildrenYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will also lay the foundation for future in-depth investigation of the children of these mothers with histories of substance abuse. ..
- Treatment System Impact & Outcomes of Proposition 36Yih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project will produce recommendations to improve treatment strategies and inform future policy and practice at the national, state, and local levels. ..
- Gender Differences in a Follow-up of Opiate Users in CAChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study findings have the potential to develop interventions aimed at opiate users that address the specific needs of males and females over the life course. ..
- Counseling for Primary Care Office-Based BuprenorphineDavid Fiellin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will help define the role of professional evidence-based drug counseling in expanding access to treatment with Bup. ..
- HIV Risk and Neighborhood Networks of New IDUsAlan Neaigus; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Entry Into Comprehensive Methadone Treatment Via Interim MaintenanceRobert P Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..comprehensive treatment. The results of this study will provide important information to researchers, clinicians, and public health policymakers regarding the relative effectiveness and benefits of these two approaches to OTP treatment. ..
- NETWORK RISKS AMONG INJECTING DRUG USERSAlan Neaigus; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CONTEXT AND EFFECTIVENESS OF TWO MODELS OF SVC DELIVERYChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2002..These data will provide a multilevel context in which to evaluate the implementation and effectiveness of the two models of service delivery. ..
- NONINJECTING HEROIN USERS, NEW INJECTORS AND HIV RISKAlan Neaigus; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- HIV/STI Prevention for Drug-Involved CouplesLouisa Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2008..Sharp from St. Luke's Hospital in New York City, and Dr. Fals-Stewart from the Research Institute on Addictions at the University of Buffalo. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV RISK AND PARTNER VIOLENCE--MEN ON METHADONENabila El Bassel; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data from the proposed study will help inform assessment, treatment and referral protocols to reduce partner violence and HIV-risk behaviors among men and women in MMTPs. ..
- Drug Choice, Impulsivity, and Risky Sexual BehaviorCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PARTNER ABUSE AND HIV IN WOMEN RECEIVING EMERGENCY CARENabila El Bassel; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Methadone Maintenance for PrisonersTIMOTHY KINLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research will also examine the relationship of initial motivation for treatment, early criminal involvement, and cocaine abuse history to treatment outcome. ..
- China MACS: An Exploratory StudyShenghan Lai; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study could have major impact on a HIV-related biological, behavioral, and clinical research that extends beyond China to include all populations at risk for HIV infection. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Distress Tolerance and Early Smoking LapseCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study also should have direct implications for the development of novel pharmacological and behavioral treatments for nicotine dependence for this particularly vulnerable group of smokers. ..
- Novel Intervention for Drug Use and HIV Risk among Anxiety Sensitive Heroin UsersCarl W Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Testing a Behavioral Predictor of HIV RiskCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe this research can set the stage for future studies aiming to predict the occurrence of HIV-risk behaviors, prior to their occurrence, which may lead to more effective, individualized HIV-prevention programs. ..
- Preventing HIV and other STDs among drug-involved womenNabila El Bassel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The SWRD Program will be directed by Dr. Nabila El-Bassel and co-directed by Drs. Steven Schinke and Mary McKay, all CUSSW faculty with strong programs of federally funded research related to substance abuse and HIV. ..
- Motivational Enhancement for Drug Court ProbationersTIMOTHY KINLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DNA Methylation of Promoter CpG Dinucleotides in Opiate AddictionDavid Nielsen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings of the studies in this application may help to alleviate individual suffering and the tremendous cost to society caused by drug and alcohol addiction. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Predictors of Relapse to Prescription Opioid Abuse Among Pain PatientsMaria A Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2010..These questions are of immediate clinical relevance to the treatment of chronic pain with opioid therapy. ..
- Gender difference of HIV risks among IDUs in ChinaMin Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Substance Use and Other Health Consequences Among Katrina Evacuees in HoustonAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2008..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page -| Description, ..
- MEDICATION ADHERENCE IN ALCOHOL ABUSING HIV PATIENTSJeffrey Samet; Fiscal Year: 2001..The ADHERE study will enable us to develop a generalizable intervention to enhance antiretroviral medication adherence in patients with a history of alcohol abuse and test its efficacy in terms of important clinical outcomes. ..
- Maximizing Opportunity - HIV Prevention in Hospitalized Russian DrinkersJeffrey H Samet; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Role of the Amygdala in Opioid Self-administration in Rats with Chronic Pain.Thomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ENHANCED LINKAGE OF DRUG ABUSERS TO PRIMARY MEDICAL CAREJeffrey H Samet; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improved outcomes using the AHEAD approach would support the adoption of a health services delivery strategy, CDM, to better care for patients with DD. ..
- Tanzania AIDs Prevention Project - Vijana Wateja (Young Injectors) StudySheryl McCurdy; Fiscal Year: 2008..These data will be used to estimate univariate odds ratios and a multivariate model of the effects of partner mixing and concurrent partnering on HIV infection in networks of young IDUs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurocognitive Impulsivity and HIV Risk Behaviors in Bulgarian Heroin UsersJasmin Vassileva; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NETWORK THERAPY DEVELOPMENT, STAGE II WITH BUPRENORPHINEMarc Galanter; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, social support for abstinence will be evaluated to determine its predictive effect on treatment outcome. ..
- TREATMENT FOR DUALLY DEPENDENT METHADONE PATIENTSNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACE TO PREVENT HIV TRANSMISSIONKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- RISK AND RESILIENCY IN YOUNG MEN AT RISK FOR DRUG ABUSEMichael Clatts; Fiscal Year: 2002..A substudy will establish key ethical challenges arising in "participatory" ethnographic research with this population. ..
- HIV TRANSMISSION IN CRACK INJECTION PRACTICESMichael Clatts; Fiscal Year: 2002..Ethnographic data and results of laboratory studies will be used to develop a curriculum for training public health practitioners on risk reduction messages and strategies for crack injectors. ..
- A THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACE FOR HOMELESS ALCOHOLICSKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CLINICAL IMPACT ON HCV & ALCOHOL IN HIV INFECTED PERSONSJeffrey Samet; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will provide crucial information needed for the development and prioritization of interventions for coinfected persons with addictions. ..
- Neuro-Cognitive Aspects of Opiate Abuse & Antisocial BehaviorJasmin Vassileva; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Pharmacotherapy for opioid and cocaine dependenceBruce Rounsaville; Fiscal Year: 2005..4. To examine depression as a predictor of response. 5. To examine three month follow-up status after completing the treatment trial for continuation in treatment, abstinence from illicit drugs, and depressive symptoms. ..
- Alcohol Use Reduction in Methadone Individuals with HCVAdeline Nyamathi; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Economic Evaluation of Addiction ServicesJENNIFER RUGER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enhancing Alcohol Science Focus: AMERSA National MeetingJeffrey Samet; Fiscal Year: 2008..Since the Annual National Conference draws a large number of participants from a variety of medical and other healthcare professions, the impact on clinical training and practice will be substantial. ..
- FELLOWSHIP IN IV DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT RESEARCHCHARLES O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary facilities are the University of Pennsylvania Addiction Research Center and our clinical affiliates, including the VA Medical Center Substance Abuse Treatment Program. ..
- Medication Development for Marijuana RelapseMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT--PROCESS, OUTCOMES, & SOCIAL POLICYM Anglin; Fiscal Year: 2004..As the co-Director of DARC, I am academically affiliated and supported by the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute (NPI), organized within the Department of Psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine. ..
- THC AND MARIJUANA--EFFECTS IN INDIVIDUALS WITH HIV/AIDSMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2002....