Genomes and Genes
cocaine related disorders
Summary: Disorders related or resulting from use of cocaine.
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- Evidence for addiction-like behavior in the ratVéronique Deroche-Gamonet
INSERM U588, Laboratoire de Physiopathologie des Comportements, Bordeaux Institute for Neurosciences, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Domaine de Carreire, rue Camille Saint Saens, 33077 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Science 305:1014-7. 2004..These findings provide a new basis for developing a true understanding and treatment of addiction...
- Cocaine seeking habits depend upon dopamine-dependent serial connectivity linking the ventral with the dorsal striatumDavid Belin
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Neuron 57:432-41. 2008....
- Cocaine cues and dopamine in dorsal striatum: mechanism of craving in cocaine addictionNora D Volkow
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 26:6583-8. 2006..Because craving is a key contributor to relapse, strategies aimed at inhibiting dopamine increases from conditioned responses are likely to be therapeutically beneficial in cocaine addiction...
- Executive dysfunction in cocaine addiction: evidence for discordant frontal, cingulate, and cerebellar activityRobert Hester
Department of Psychology and Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Neurosci 24:11017-22. 2004..The results reveal a neuroanatomical basis for this dysexecutive component to addiction, supporting the suggested importance cognitive functions may play in prolonging abuse or predisposing users toward relapse...
- Historical review: Molecular and cellular mechanisms of opiate and cocaine addictionEric J Nestler
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Basic Neuroscience The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9070, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 25:210-8. 2004..In this article, I present a historical review of basic research on opiate and cocaine addiction...
- Understanding polydrug use: review of heroin and cocaine co-useFrancesco Leri
Center for Studies in Behavioural Neurobiology, Concordia University, Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Addiction 98:7-22. 2003..Once clearly identified, pharmacological and neuroanatomical methods can be employed in self-administering laboratory animals to uncover the neurobiological correlates of specific patterns of co-use...
- Dopamine release in the dorsal striatum during cocaine-seeking behavior under the control of a drug-associated cueRutsuko Ito
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 3EB, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 22:6247-53. 2002..These data indicate a possible involvement of the dopaminergic innervation of the dorsal striatum in well established, or habitual, cocaine-seeking behavior...
- Stroke in young adults who abuse amphetamines or cocaine: a population-based study of hospitalized patientsArthur N Westover
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:495-502. 2007..The abuse of stimulant drugs is increasing in the western United States. Although numerous case reports and animal studies suggest a link with stroke, epidemiologic studies have yielded conflicting results...
- Acute effects of cocaine on the neurobiology of cognitive controlHugh Garavan
Institute of Neuroscience, School of Psychology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 363:3267-76. 2008..Furthermore, the effects of cocaine on midline function suggest a dopaminergically mediated intersection between cocaine's acute reinforcing effects and its effects on cognitive control...
- Escalation of cocaine self-administration does not depend on altered cocaine-induced nucleus accumbens dopamine levelsSerge H Ahmed
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
J Neurochem 86:102-13. 2003..These findings show that changes in cocaine efficacy or pharmacokinetics do not play a critical role in cocaine intake escalation...
- Effects of chronic exposure to cocaine are regulated by the neuronal protein Cdk5J A Bibb
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 410:376-80. 2001..Our results suggest that changes in Cdk5 levels mediated by DeltaFosB, and resulting alterations in signalling involving D1 dopamine receptors, contribute to adaptive changes in the brain related to cocaine addiction...
- Neuroadaptations in cystine-glutamate exchange underlie cocaine relapseDavid A Baker
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Nat Neurosci 6:743-9. 2003..Thus, withdrawal from repeated cocaine increases susceptibility to relapse in part by reducing cystine/glutamate exchange, and restoring exchanger activity prevents cocaine-primed drug seeking...
- A risk allele for nicotine dependence in CHRNA5 is a protective allele for cocaine dependenceRichard A Grucza
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, Box 8134, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:922-9. 2008..The goal of this study was to examine the association of this variant with cocaine dependence...
- Different requirements for cAMP response element binding protein in positive and negative reinforcing properties of drugs of abuseC L Walters
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 21:9438-44. 2001..These data may provide the first paradigm for differential vulnerability to various drugs of abuse...
- Lower level of endogenous dopamine in patients with cocaine dependence: findings from PET imaging of D(2)/D(3) receptors following acute dopamine depletionDiana Martinez
Department of Psychiatry and Radiology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:1170-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to measure D(2)/D(3) receptors following acute dopamine depletion in cocaine-dependent volunteers relative to healthy comparison subjects...
- A single infusion of brain-derived neurotrophic factor into the ventral tegmental area induces long-lasting potentiation of cocaine seeking after withdrawalLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 24:1604-11. 2004..These data suggest that BDNF-mediated neuroadaptations in mesolimbic areas are involved in the persistent cocaine seeking induced by exposure to drug cues after withdrawal...
- Glutamate transmission in the nucleus accumbens mediates relapse in cocaine addictionJ L Cornish
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 20:RC89. 2000..These data suggest an important role for nucleus accumbens glutamate and not dopamine transmission in cocaine-induced relapse to drug-seeking behavior...
- Reduced anterior corpus callosum white matter integrity is related to increased impulsivity and reduced discriminability in cocaine-dependent subjects: diffusion tensor imagingFrederick Gerard Moeller
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:610-7. 2005....
- Neurobiological evidence for hedonic allostasis associated with escalating cocaine useSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, Universite de Bordeaux 2, CNRS UMR 5541, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux 33076, France
Nat Neurosci 5:625-6. 2002....
- Orbitofrontal cortex dysfunction in abstinent cocaine abusers performing a decision-making taskK I Bolla
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neuroimage 19:1085-94. 2003..Compromised decision-making could contribute to the development of addiction and undermine attempts at abstinence...
- Different neural substrates mediate cocaine seeking after abstinence versus extinction training: a critical role for the dorsolateral caudate-putamenRita A Fuchs
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 26:3584-8. 2006....
- Progression of changes in dopamine transporter binding site density as a result of cocaine self-administration in rhesus monkeysS R Letchworth
Center for the Neurobiological Investigation of Drug Abuse, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 21:2799-807. 2001....
- Pattern of intake and drug craving predict the development of cocaine addiction-like behavior in ratsDavid Belin
CRI U862, Physiopathologie de l addiction, Institut Francois Magendie, Bordeaux Cedex 33077, France
Biol Psychiatry 65:863-8. 2009..We investigated whether the development of an addiction-like behavior in the rat is associated with the pattern of cocaine intake and with cocaine craving, a major feature of cocaine addiction...
- A consistent attentional bias for drug-related material in active cocaine users across word and picture versions of the emotional Stroop taskRobert Hester
Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 81:251-7. 2006..These results provide corroborating evidence for cognitive biases being a hallmark of substance dependence...
- High dose cocaine use in São Paulo: a comparison of treatment and community samplesC P Ferri
National Addiction Centre, London, United Kingdom
Subst Use Misuse 36:237-55. 2001..Better methods are required to provide interventions to tackle the problems and risk behaviors of these cocaine users...
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and sympatho-adreno-medullary responses during stress-induced and drug cue-induced cocaine craving statesRajita Sinha
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, S 112 Substance Abuse Center, Connecticut Mental Health Center, 34 Park Street, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 170:62-72. 2003..This study examined the response of brain stress circuits to environmental stimuli that are known to increase cocaine craving in cocaine dependent individuals...
- Genes associated with addiction: alcoholism, opiate, and cocaine addictionMary Jeanne Kreek
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Neuromolecular Med 5:85-108. 2004..A few selected genetic variants that currently look promising for the study of alcohol, opiate, and cocaine addiction are discussed in this article...
- Cocaine dependence and d2 receptor availability in the functional subdivisions of the striatum: relationship with cocaine-seeking behaviorDiana Martinez
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1190-202. 2004..Additional research is warranted to unravel potential neurobiological traits that might confer vulnerability to relapse in detoxified CCD subjects...
- Non-fatal cocaine overdose among injecting and non-injecting cocaine users in Sydney, AustraliaSharlene Kaye
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia
Addiction 99:1315-22. 2004..To investigate the frequency of non-fatal cocaine overdose, and responses to overdoses, among injecting and non-injecting cocaine users...
- Cocaine use and the likelihood of nonfatal myocardial infarction and stroke: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyA I Qureshi
Department of Neurosurgery and Toshiba Stroke Research Center, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14209 1194, USA
Circulation 103:502-6. 2001..Increasing cocaine use in the US population, especially in younger individuals, mandates a more extensive investigation of this relationship...
- Striatal dopaminergic abnormalities in human cocaine usersK Y Little
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor VA Medical Center 48105, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:238-45. 1999..Previous inconsistencies in results were perhaps related to selective radioligand affinity changes or a coexisting loss of dopamine neurons...
- Expectation enhances the regional brain metabolic and the reinforcing effects of stimulants in cocaine abusersNora D Volkow
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973, USA
J Neurosci 23:11461-8. 2003..The enhanced cerebellar activation with expectation may reflect conditioned responses that are not linked to conscious responses...
- Effects of cocaine context on NAcc dopamine and behavioral activity after repeated intravenous cocaine administrationC L Duvauchelle
College of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmacology Toxicology, PHR 5 224, The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA
Brain Res 862:49-58. 2000..The present study uniquely demonstrates concurrent context-dependent potentiation of behavioral and dopaminergic responses to cocaine occurring in conjunction with cocaine reward...
- Prefrontal cortical dysfunction in abstinent cocaine abusersKaren Bolla
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 16:456-64. 2004..Since impairment in ECF may be a common feature of various neuropsychiatric disorders, these findings have applicability beyond the neurobiology of addiction...
- A BDNF infusion into the medial prefrontal cortex suppresses cocaine seeking in ratsWilliam J Berglind
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Eur J Neurosci 26:757-66. 2007....
- Role of ERK in cocaine addictionLin Lu
Department of Neuropharmacology, National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Trends Neurosci 29:695-703. 2006..Pharmacological manipulations that decrease the extent to which cocaine and cocaine cues induce ERK activity might therefore be considered as potential treatments for cocaine addiction...
- Cognitive control of drug craving inhibits brain reward regions in cocaine abusersNora D Volkow
National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroimage 49:2536-43. 2010..This suggests that cocaine abusers may retain some ability to inhibit craving and that strengthening fronto-accumbal regulation may be therapeutically beneficial in addiction...
- Molecular neuroadaptations in the accumbens and ventral tegmental area during the first 90 days of forced abstinence from cocaine self-administration in ratsLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse National Institutes of Health Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurochem 85:1604-13. 2003..Cocaine self-administration produces long-lasting molecular neuroadaptations in the VTA and accumbens that may underlie cocaine relapse during periods of abstinence...
- Impact of self-administered cocaine and cocaine cues on extracellular dopamine in mesolimbic and sensorimotor striatum in rhesus monkeysC W Bradberry
Departments of Psychiatry and Laboratory Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine and the West Haven Veteran s Administration Hospital, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
J Neurosci 20:3874-83. 2000....
- Cognitive modeling analysis of decision-making processes in cocaine abusersJulie C Stout
Department of Psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 7007, USA
Psychon Bull Rev 11:742-7. 2004..The results of this analysis indicated, for the first time, that motivational and choice consistency factors, but not learning/memory were mainly responsible for the decision-making deficit of the cocaine abusers in this task...
- Alpha 1-noradrenergic system role in increased motivation for cocaine intake in rats with prolonged accessSunmee Wee
Committee on the Neurobiology of Addictive Disorders, SP30 2400, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:303-11. 2008..The data suggest that activation of the alpha 1-noradrenergic system, perhaps in the BNST, is associated with increased motivation for cocaine in rats with extended access...
- A single in vivo exposure to cocaine abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated long-term depression in the nucleus accumbensLawrence Fourgeaud
Equipe Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Avenir Plasticité Synaptique Maturation et Addiction, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 5091, Institut Magendie des Neurosciences, 33077 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Neurosci 24:6939-45. 2004..The results suggest that cocaine-induced loss of eCB retrograde signaling is caused by a reduction in the ability of mGluR5 to translate anterograde glutamate transmission into retrograde eCB signaling...
- Neurocognitive deficits related to poor decision making in people behind barsEldad Yechiam
Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Psychon Bull Rev 15:44-51. 2008..The present cognitive model provides a novel way for building a bridge between cognitive neuroscience and complex human behaviors...
- Drug addiction and its underlying neurobiological basis: neuroimaging evidence for the involvement of the frontal cortexRita Z Goldstein
Medical Research, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Bldg 490, 30 Bell Avenue, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1642-52. 2002..Studies of the neurobiological processes underlying drug addiction primarily have focused on limbic subcortical structures. Here the authors evaluated the role of frontal cortical structures in drug addiction...
- Drug seeking becomes compulsive after prolonged cocaine self-administrationLouk J M J Vanderschuren
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Science 305:1017-9. 2004....
- Transition from moderate to excessive drug intake: change in hedonic set pointS H Ahmed
Division of Psychopharmacology, Department of Neuropharmacology, CVN 7, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 282:298-300. 1998..After 1 month of abstinence, escalation of cocaine intake was reinstated to a higher level than before. These findings may provide an animal model for studying the development of excessive drug intake and the basis of addiction...
- Human therapeutic cocaine vaccine: safety and immunogenicityThomas R Kosten
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Yale University, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Vaccine 20:1196-204. 2002..Thus, the therapeutic vaccine was well tolerated with dose related increases in antibody levels, and a high proportion of patients recruited into the study were retained...
- Diffusion tensor imaging eigenvalues: preliminary evidence for altered myelin in cocaine dependenceF Gerard Moeller
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, 1300 Moursund, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Psychiatry Res 154:253-8. 2007....
- Efficacy of central nervous system stimulant treatment for cocaine dependence: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trialsXavier Castells
Psychiatry Service, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Addiction 102:1871-87. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of central nervous system (CNS) stimulants compared with placebo for the treatment of cocaine dependence...
- High impulsivity predicts the switch to compulsive cocaine-takingDavid Belin
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute and Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Science 320:1352-5. 2008..This study shows experimental evidence that a shift from impulsivity to compulsivity occurs during the development of addictive behavior, which provides insights into the genesis and neural mechanisms of drug addiction...
- Incubation of cocaine craving after withdrawal: a review of preclinical dataLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, IRP NIDA NIH DHHS, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropharmacology 47:214-26. 2004..4. Incubation of cocaine craving after withdrawal is associated with increases in the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in mesolimbic dopamine areas...
- Limbic activation during cue-induced cocaine cravingA R Childress
Addiction Treatment Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:11-8. 1999..Since signals for cocaine induce limbic brain activation in animals and cocaine craving in humans, the objective of this study was to test whether limbic activation occurs during cue-induced craving in humans...
- Liking and wanting of drug and non-drug rewards in active cocaine users: the STRAP-R questionnaireR Z Goldstein
Department of Medical Research, Center for Translational Neuroimaging, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
J Psychopharmacol 24:257-66. 2010..Additional studies are required to assess the reliability of the STRAP-R in larger samples and to examine its validity in measuring the subjective value attributed to experienced reinforcers or in predicting behaviour...
- Ambient temperature and mortality from unintentional cocaine overdoseP M Marzuk
Department of Psychiatry, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 279:1795-800. 1998..Hot weather taxes cardiovascular function and is associated with increased deaths from heart disease. Cocaine can cause hypertension, tachycardia, coronary vasospasm, arrhythmias, and increased core temperature...
- Crack-heroin speedball injection and its implications for vein care: qualitative studyTim Rhodes
Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Addiction 102:1782-90. 2007..We report on an exploratory qualitative study investigating drug injectors' narratives of vein damage and groin (femoral vein) injection associated with the injection of crack-heroin speedball...
- PET imaging of the effects of age and cocaine on the norepinephrine transporter in the human brain using (S,S)-[(11)C]O-methylreboxetine and HRRTYu Shin Ding
Yale PET Center, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8048, USA
Synapse 64:30-8. 2010....
- Neurobiology of relapse to heroin and cocaine seeking: a reviewUri Shalev
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Pharmacol Rev 54:1-42. 2002..The data reviewed also suggest that the neuronal events mediating drug-induced reinstatement are to some degree dissociable from those mediating drug reinforcement...
- Central amygdala ERK signaling pathway is critical to incubation of cocaine cravingLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, Intramural Research Program National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:212-9. 2005..Results suggest that the incubation of cocaine craving is mediated by time-dependent increases in the responsiveness of the central amygdala ERK pathway to cocaine cues...
- Route of cocaine administration: patterns of use and problems among a Brazilian sampleC P Ferri
National Addiction Centre, London, UK
Addict Behav 24:815-21. 1999..These problems, compounded by the larger doses being used and their greater involvement in prostitution, place crack cocaine users at higher risk from HIV infection and other sexually transmitted diseases as well as other physical risks...
- Transitions in the route of cocaine administration--characteristics, direction and associated variablesJ Dunn
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Addiction 94:813-24. 1999..To examine transitions in the route of administration of cocaine and the variables associated with them...
- Subsecond dopamine release promotes cocaine seekingPaul E M Phillips
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Nature 422:614-8. 2003..These findings reveal an unprecedented role for dopamine in the regulation of drug taking in real time...
- Impaired inhibitory control of behavior in chronic cocaine usersMark T Fillmore
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40506 0044, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:265-73. 2002..These findings are important because they identify a specific deficit involving behavioral inhibition that could contribute to cocaine abuse, and explain its association with other disorders of self-regulation, such as ADHD...
- Anterior cingulate cortex hypoactivations to an emotionally salient task in cocaine addictionRita Z Goldstein
Department of Medical Research, Center for Translational Neuroimaging, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9453-8. 2009..Interventions to strengthen ACC reactivity or interconnectivity may be beneficial in enhancing top-down monitoring and emotion regulation as a strategy to reduce impulsive and compulsive behavior in addiction...
- Activation of orbital and medial prefrontal cortex by methylphenidate in cocaine-addicted subjects but not in controls: relevance to addictionNora D Volkow
National Institute of Drug Abuse, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
J Neurosci 25:3932-9. 2005..It also suggests that the mesothalamic DA pathway may contribute to these processes...
- Cocaine dependence and acute cocaine induce decreases of monocyte proinflammatory cytokine expression across the diurnal period: autonomic mechanismsMichael R Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 320:507-15. 2007..Targeting sympathovagal balance might represent a novel strategy for partial amelioration of impairments of innate immunity in cocaine dependence...
- Acute cortisol administration triggers craving in individuals with cocaine dependenceIgor Elman
Behavioral Psychopharmacology Research Laboratory, Harvard Medical School McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 37:84-9. 2003..These pilot data suggest that cortisol can induce a state that is associated with drug abuse...
- Cocaine use in New South Wales, Australia, 1996-2000: 5 year monitoring of trends in price, purity, availability and use from the illicit drug reporting systemShane Darke
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:81-8. 2002..The regular and formal monitoring of illicit drug trends enabled substantial changes in the cocaine market in Sydney to be detected, and the information to be fed back to the health and law enforcement sectors...
- Relationship between extent of cocaine use and dependence among adolescents and adults in the United StatesKevin Chen
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 20, New York, NY 10032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 68:65-85. 2002..Implications of the findings for the epidemiological study of cocaine use and dependence are discussed...
- Dynamic BDNF activity in nucleus accumbens with cocaine use increases self-administration and relapseDanielle L Graham
Department of Psychiatry, The Seay Center for Basic and Applied Research in Psychiatric Illness, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9070, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:1029-37. 2007..These findings suggest that dynamic induction and release of BDNF from NAc neurons during cocaine use promotes the development and persistence of addictive behavior...
- Clock reset for alcoholismVadim Yuferov
Nat Med 11:23-4. 2005
- Transcriptional profiling in the human prefrontal cortex: evidence for two activational states associated with cocaine abuseE Lehrmann
Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Pharmacogenomics J 3:27-40. 2003..These data suggest that cocaine abuse targets a distinct subset of genes in the dlPFC, resulting in either a state of acute activation in which increased gene expression predominates, or a relatively destimulated, refractory phase...
- Downregulation of kappa-opioid receptors in basolateral amygdala and septum of rats withdrawn for 14 days from an escalating dose "binge" cocaine administration paradigmAlexis Bailey
The Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Synapse 61:820-6. 2007..The observed lowering in KOP-r binding, which was shown in two brain regions of cocaine withdrawn animals, might contribute to the persistent dysphoria reported a long time after the discontinuation of the drug...
- Epidemiological estimates of risk in the process of becoming dependent upon cocaine: cocaine hydrochloride powder versus crack cocaineChuan Yu Chen
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 624 N Broadway, 8th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172:78-86. 2004..To estimate the risk of experiencing clinical features of cocaine dependence within 1-2 years of starting cocaine use, and to examine whether crack smoking might increase this risk...
- Cocaine-predictive stimulus induces drug-seeking behavior and neural activation in limbic brain regions after multiple months of abstinence: reversal by D(1) antagonistsR Ciccocioppo
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1976-81. 2001..Moreover, the results implicate D(1)-dependent neural mechanisms within the medial prefrontal cortex and basolateral amygdala as substrates for cocaine-seeking behavior elicited by cocaine-predictive environmental stimuli...
- Cocaine use in Europe - a multi-centre study: patterns of use in different groupsMichael Prinzleve
Zentrum für Interdisziplinäre Suchtforschung der Universität Hamburg, Germany
Eur Addict Res 10:147-55. 2004..The study investigates patterns of cocaine powder and crack cocaine use of different groups in nine European cities...
- Role of dopamine D2-like receptors in cocaine self-administration: studies with D2 receptor mutant mice and novel D2 receptor antagonistsS Barak Caine
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
J Neurosci 22:2977-88. 2002..Our results also suggest that D3 and D4 receptors do not play major roles in the modulation of cocaine self-administration by D2-like drugs...
- Role of the anterior cingulate and medial orbitofrontal cortex in processing drug cues in cocaine addictionR Z Goldstein
Brookhaven National Laboratory, P O Box 5000, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Neuroscience 144:1153-9. 2007....
- Formation of accumbens GluR2-lacking AMPA receptors mediates incubation of cocaine cravingKELLY L CONRAD
Department of Neuroscience, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
Nature 454:118-21. 2008....
- Cocaine dependence: a disease of the brain's reward centersC A Dackis
Treatment Research Center, University of Pennsylvania, 3900 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 21:111-7. 2001..Treatment principles, including engagement, motivational enhancement, abstinence strategies, and craving reduction are discussed in terms of biological rationales...
- The role of acetylcholine in cocaine addictionMark J Williams
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8564, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1779-97. 2008....
- Cocaine use in Europe - a multi-centre study. Methodology and prevalence estimatesChristian Haasen
Zentrum für Interdisziplinäre Suchtforschung, Klinik für Psychiatrie and Psychotherapie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Addict Res 10:139-46. 2004..Specific strategies need to be developed to address problematic cocaine use in these subgroups...
- Gene expression profile of the nucleus accumbens of human cocaine abusers: evidence for dysregulation of myelinDawn N Albertson
Departments of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Neurochem 88:1211-9. 2004..These findings suggest a dysregulation of myelin in human cocaine abusers...
- Disulfiram treatment for cocaine dependence in methadone-maintained opioid addictsI L Petrakis
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Addiction 95:219-28. 2000..We evaluated the efficacy of disulfiram for cocaine dependence, both with and without co-morbid alcohol abuse, in a group of methadone-maintained opioid addicts...
- Toward a model of drug relapse: an assessment of the validity of the reinstatement procedureDavid H Epstein
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Research Branch, IRP NIDA NIH DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 189:1-16. 2006..The reinstatement model is widely used to study relapse to drug addiction. However, the model's validity is open to question...
- Renewal of drug seeking by contextual cues after prolonged extinction in ratsHans S Crombag
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Behav Neurosci 116:169-73. 2002..The authors suggest that the renewal procedure can be used to study mechanisms underlying relapse to drug seeking elicited by drug-associated contextual stimuli...
- Addiction as a computational process gone awryA David Redish
Department of Neuroscience, 6 145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church Street SE, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Science 306:1944-7. 2004..The model provides an explanation for important aspects of the addiction literature and provides a theoretic view-point with which to address other aspects...
- The National Treatment Outcome Research Study (NTORS): 4-5 year follow-up resultsMichael Gossop
National Addiction Centre, The Maudsley Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Addiction 98:291-303. 2003..NTORS investigates outcomes for drug misusers treated in existing services in residential and community settings...
- The role of endocannabinoid transmission in cocaine addictionJonathon C Arnold
Department of Pharmacology, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 81:396-406. 2005..This review highlights research indicating that the endocannabinoid system may subserve certain aspects of cocaine addiction and suggests avenues for future investigation...
- The role of dorsal vs ventral striatal pathways in cocaine-seeking behavior after prolonged abstinence in ratsR E See
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 194:321-31. 2007..Recent studies have implicated an important role for the dorsal striatum during craving for cocaine and in cocaine-seeking after abstinence in rats...
- Human immunodeficiency virus prevention and the potential of drug abuse treatmentDavid S Metzger
University of Pennsylvania Veteran s Affairs Medical Center, Center for Studies of Addiction, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:S451-6. 2003....
- Motivational responses to natural and drug rewards in rats with neonatal ventral hippocampal lesions: an animal model of dual diagnosis schizophreniaR Andrew Chambers
Division of Molecular Psychiatry, West Haven Veterans Administration Hospital, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 27:889-905. 2002....
- The effect of practice on a sustained attention task in cocaine abusersRita Z Goldstein
Department of Medical Research, Center for Translational Neuroimaging, Brookhaven National Laboratory, P O Box 5000, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Neuroimage 35:194-206. 2007....
- Is there epidemiological evidence to support the idea that a cocaine dependence syndrome emerges soon after onset of cocaine use?Beth A Reboussin
Department of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2055-64. 2006....
- Neuroplasticity in the mesolimbic dopamine system and cocaine addictionM J Thomas
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Br J Pharmacol 154:327-42. 2008..Finally, we speculate on how these factors may interact to initiate and sustain cocaine psychomotor sensitization and cocaine seeking...
- Differential effects of dopaminergic agents on locomotor sensitisation and on the reinstatement of cocaine-seeking and food-seeking behaviourC Dias
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, UMR CRNS 5541, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux 2, 146, rue Leo Saignat, BP 31, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 175:414-27. 2004..The dopaminergic pathways are involved in natural and drug reward related processes...
- Ionotropic and metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonism attenuates cue-induced cocaine seekingPia Bäckström
Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:778-86. 2006..Accordingly, drugs with antagonist properties at various glutamate receptor subtypes could be useful in prevention of relapse induced by conditioned stimuli...
- Continuous intracerebroventricular infusion of the competitive NMDA receptor antagonist, LY235959, facilitates escalation of cocaine self-administration and increases break point for cocaine in Sprague-Dawley ratsRichard M Allen
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Downtown Denver Campus, CO 80217, United States
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 88:82-8. 2007....
- Effects of dopamine receptor antagonists (D1 and D2) on the demand for smoked cocaine base in rhesus monkeysU C Campbell
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis 55455 0392, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 144:381-8. 1999..Previous studies suggest that dopamine antagonists may reduce the reinforcing effects of cocaine. However, the effects of these antagonists on the demand for smoked cocaine base have not been quantified...
- Treatment of cocaine dependence and depressionBruce J Rounsaville
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, and Veterans Affairs Connecticut Healthcare, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:803-9. 2004....
- Modafinil and cocaine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled drug interaction studyCharles A Dackis
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 3900 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 70:29-37. 2003..Furthermore, pretreatment with modafinil did not intensify cocaine euphoria or cocaine-induced craving. In fact, cocaine euphoria was significantly blunted (P=0.02) in one of our subjective measures...
- Extinction-induced upregulation in AMPA receptors reduces cocaine-seeking behaviourMichael A Sutton
Division of Molecular Psychiatry and the Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Nature 421:70-5. 2003....
- Behavioral correlates of fMRI response in cocaine usersRita Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TREATMENT FOR DUALLY DEPENDENT METHADONE PATIENTSNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Topiramate for alcohol and cocaine dependenceKyle Kampman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- Progestrone and the Effects of NicotineMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2006..By characterizing the progesterone effects on nicotine dependence, this study may provide a better understanding of the mechanisms which mediate the sex and menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine dependence. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- Medication Development for Marijuana RelapseMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- NOVEL COCAINE PHARMACOTHERAPIES: LAB STUDIESMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Imaging inhibitory control in cocaine dependenceCHIANG SHAN LI; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THC AND MARIJUANA--EFFECTS IN INDIVIDUALS WITH HIV/AIDSMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Pharmacotherapy for opioid and cocaine dependenceBruce Rounsaville; Fiscal Year: 2005..4. To examine depression as a predictor of response. 5. To examine three month follow-up status after completing the treatment trial for continuation in treatment, abstinence from illicit drugs, and depressive symptoms. ..
- Scientific Meeting of ISRIFREDERICK MOELLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through all sessions, the planning committee will strive for a balance of attendance and participation from junior investigators, women, trainees, and underrepresented populations through travel awards for these groups. ..
- SEROTONIN, IMPULSIVITY AND COCAINE DEPENDENCE TREATMENTFREDERICK MOELLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aim 3. To measure impulsivity in subjects undergoing treatment for cocaine dependence using laboratory tasks to determine if changes in impulsivity predict response to treatment for cocaine dependence. ..
- Combined Treatment for Cocaine-Alcohol DependenceJoy Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BEH PHARM TREATMENTS FOR ALCOHOL/NICOTINE DEPENDENCEJoy Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, the proposed study will continue and extend the scope of our ongoing research program designed to evaluate the joint effects of behavioral and pharmacological interventions for substance dependence. ..
- Serotonin, Drug Use and MDMA Induced DeficitsFREDERICK MOELLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 3: To determine whether neurobehavioral deficits seen in heavy MDMA users are related to serotonergic function as measured by a mCPP neuroendocrine challenge in these subjects. ..
- PREVENTION OF SMOKING RELAPSE IN WOMENJoy Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- INTEGRATED TREATMENT FOR COCAINE AND MOOD DISORDERSJoy Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Contingency Management plus Levodopa/Carbidopa for Trtment. of Cocaine DependenceJOY MARIE SCHMITZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..In conclusion, this study will validate the usefulness of a novel behavioral-pharmacological treatment and shed light on the mechanisms underlying the synergism between DA augmentation strategies and reinforcement-based therapies. ..
- A Long-term Follow-up Study of Drug-Dependent Mothers and ChildrenYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will also lay the foundation for future in-depth investigation of the children of these mothers with histories of substance abuse. ..
- Effectiveness of extended treatments for drug dependenceJames R McKay; Fiscal Year: 2010..Other analyses will test mediation hypotheses, examine potential moderator effects, and test the impact of disease management on HIV risk behaviors. ..
- Effectiveness and Costs of Enhanced Cocaine TreatmentsJames McKay; Fiscal Year: 2005..voucher reinforcement. Additional analyses will identify predictors of response to the TAU+V and TAU+S conditions, and test predictions regarding possible mechanisms of action. ..
- Naltrexone for Bipolar Disorder and Alcohol DependenceE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..Alcohol use is the primary outcome, and alcohol craving is the secondary outcome. Manic and depressive symptom severity and the relationship between changes in alcohol use and changes in mood will be expIored. ..
- Sex-Specific Pathways Linking Stress and Drug AbuseRajita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such an understanding will have important implications for the development of gender-specific treatments for cocaine dependence that will ultimately improve the health of cocaine-addicted women and their families. ..
- Treatment System Impact & Outcomes of Proposition 36Yih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project will produce recommendations to improve treatment strategies and inform future policy and practice at the national, state, and local levels. ..
- Reducing HIV/AIDS and Drug Abuse: Linking Compulsory Rehabilitation to Methadone Yih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2008..If proven effective, the program can be widely applied in China and in other parts of the world to reduce heroin use and related HIV risk behaviors. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lofexidine to Prevent Stress-Related Opiate RelapseRajita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Effectiveness of Extended Telephone MonitoringJames McKay; Fiscal Year: 2007..Economic analyses will determine the cost-effectiveness and benefit-cost of TMC and TMF relative to TAU, andto ach other. ..
- AFTERCARE FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSERSJames McKay; Fiscal Year: 2008..The cost-effectiveness and benefit cost of each of the enhanced interventions will also be determined, through a collaboration with Dr. Michael French. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DRUG ABUSE: EPIDEMIOLOGY, TREATMENT PROCESS, & OUTCOMESYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2003..The applicant also expects to grow professionally as Associate Director of the UCLA Drug Abuse Research Center. ..
- Treating Asthma Patients with Major Depressive DisorderE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Cholesterol and fatty acids in cocaine addiction relapseLaure Buydens Branchey; Fiscal Year: 2004..If our preliminary findings are confirmed, the use of fatty acids supplements or changes in dietary habits could have a significant potential in the prevention of relapse in a subgroup of cocaine addicts. ..
- EFFECTS OF BUSPIRONE IN WITHDRAWAL FROM OPIATESLaure Buydens Branchey; Fiscal Year: 2002..Buspirone has additional advantages. It is not sedating, has no withdrawal symptoms, has no abuse potential, does not potentiate central nervous system depressants and does not induce psychomotor impairment. ..
- HIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTION DURING CORTICOSTEROID THERAPYE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..Through this award, the Pl will extend his previous research experience by adding new skills and knowledge which will be used for investigations at the interface of neuroscience and clinical research. ..
- A 12 YEAR FOLLOW UP OF A COCAINE DEPENDENT SAMPLEYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Readiness for Implementation of Research to PracticeYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- AFTERCARE FOR COCAINE PATIENTS--EFFECTIVENESS AND COSTSJames McKay; Fiscal Year: 2001..However, it is expected that MIN aftercare will be cost-effective for low problem severity ("good prognosis") patients, whereas IND aftercare will be cost-effective for high problem severity ("poor prognosis") patients. ..
- THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACE TO PREVENT HIV TRANSMISSIONKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- HIV AND COCAINE USE--CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS AND THERAPYArthur Margolin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF MESOLIMBIC DOPAMINE BY ENDOGENOUS COMPOUNDPeter Kalivas; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, the anatomical and functional mapping of the motive circuit will provide a basis for interpreting future imaging studies in humans where attempts are made to correlate changes in spatially discrete nuclei. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES ON COCAINE SELF-ADMINISTRATIONNICHOLAS GOEDERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments described in this revised application were designed with these stipulations in mind, taking into consideration the recommendations of the reviewers of the previous submission. ..
- DETERMINANTS OF DRUG EFFECTS ON DRUG MAINTAINED BEHAVIORNICHOLAS GOEDERS; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Women and Smoking: Understanding Socioeconomic InfluencesStephen Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TREATING COCAINE ABUSE: A BEHAVIORAL APPROACHStephen Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Employment-Based Addiction PharmacotherapyKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CBT and Modafinil for Cocaine AddictionRobert Malcolm; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- INCREASING ALCOHOLICS MOTIVATION TO QUIT SMOKINGDamaris Rohsenow; Fiscal Year: 2001..The effects of the intervention will be examined on number of smoking quit attempts, reductions in nicotine dose delivery, smoking treatment attended, alcohol and drug use, etc., during the next 12 months. ..
- Neurochemistry of Cocaine ReinforcementNICHOLAS GOEDERS; Fiscal Year: 2002..These results will also provide evidence of the role that is played by steroid hormones in shaping the functional activity of the brain. ..
- Voucher-based incentives to treat pregnant smokersStephen T Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2010..Overall, the proposed studies have the potential to contribute important new information on effective treatments for one of our nation's most daunting drug abuse problems. ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsREGINA CARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2002..As such, we will be able to directly examine the contribution of DA in mediating underlying cellular mechanisms in the Acb that are involved in encoding information related to cocaine reinforcement. ..
- Future Directions in Contingency Management ResearchStephen Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., cognitive behavior therapy). Critical discussion of these issues is important to the future of CM and to the research agenda of NIDA. ..
- Brain dopamine alterations in human cocaine usersKARLEY LITTLE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Goal #4 is to confirm these increases and determine if induction of related genes occurs in human cocaine users. Specific Aim # 4 is to test the hypotheses that COX-1, NHE-1 and related mRNA's are increased in dopamine neurons. ..
- A THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACE FOR HOMELESS ALCOHOLICSKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Spirituality Guided HIV Prevention For Drug UsersArthur Margolin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ACUPUNCTURE AND COPING SKILLS TRAINING FOR COCAINE ABUSEArthur Margolin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Both clinical efficacy, cost, as well as treatment/patient matching variables, will be examined. ..
- Crack & Health Service Use--A Natural History ApproachRussel Falck; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Spiritual Self-Reevaluation Therapy for HIV+ Drug UsersArthur Margolin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Treatment process variables to be assessed include HIV information, motivation, and behavioral skills and the shift in addict and spiritual self-schemas from pre to post-treatment. ..
- MOTIVATING SUBSTANCE ABUSERS TO QUIT SMOKINGDamaris Rohsenow; Fiscal Year: 2005..The study will provide significant information about methods of reducing smoking among substance abusers. ..
- Ondansetron and Naltrexone:Cue Reactivity and DrinkingDamaris Rohsenow; Fiscal Year: 2007..Evidence will also be provided about subpopulations more likely to benefit from each medications. ..
- STRESS AND THE NEUROBIOLOGY OF DRUG AND ALCOHOL DEPENDENICHOLAS GOEDERS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The primary goal of this Training Program is to provide students and young scientists with comprehensive guidance in stress and drug abuse research. ..
- A REINFORCEMENT-BASED THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACEKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research could provide firm scientific foundation for the dissemination of Therapeutic Workplace businesses in the long-term treatment of cocaine addiction and unemployment. ..
- Lower-Cost Contingency Management in a Group SettingNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Training Therapists to Administer Contingency ManagementNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2007..Both short-term and long-term efficacy, as well as cost-effectiveness, will be evaluated when CM is administered by community-based therapists. ..
- Treatment Utilization for Alcohol-Related ProblemsLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Cognitive-Behavioral Treatments/Pathological GamblingNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2008..Patient characteristics that may be associated with outcomes will be evaluated, and a cost-effectiveness evaluation of the interventions also will be conducted. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inhalant Use/Dependence: Incidence and ComorbidityLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Gaps in our knowledge of the natural course of inhalant use will be specified for future research. ..
- Epdemiology of Non-Medical Prescription Anagesic UseLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such findings will be vital to policy makers in predicting the potential burden of NMPAU-related problems. ..
- PET IMAGING AND COCAINE NEUROPHARMACOLOGY IN MONKEYSLeonard Howell; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results obtained will also evaluate the effectiveness of monoamine transporters as potential targets for cocaine medications development. ..
- Glutamate Signaling and Drug AbuseMOHAMMADHOSSEIN GHASEMZADEH; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Role of norepinephrine and the amygdala in drug relapseMATTHEW FELTENSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transitional States in Drug AddictionLeonard Howell; Fiscal Year: 2007..These integrated efforts, including behavioral and mechanistic approaches, will provide a comprehensive analysis to elucidate transitional states in cocaine addiction. [unreadable] [unreadable]..