Genomes and Genes
Summary: Acute or chronic INFLAMMATION of the PANCREAS due to excessive ALCOHOL DRINKING. Alcoholic pancreatitis usually presents as an acute episode but it is a chronic progressive disease in alcoholics.
Publications212 found, 100 shown here
- Alcohol-induced pancreatic injuryM V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, Department of Gastroenterology, Bankstown Lidcombe, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 17:593-612. 2003b>Alcoholic pancreatitis is a major complication of alcohol abuse. Until recently, it was generally accepted that alcoholic pancreatitis was a chronic disease from the outset...
- Effects of gadolinium chloride and glycine on hepatic and pancreatic tissue damage in alcoholic pancreatitisLutz Schneider
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Pancreas 39:502-9. 2010Systemic complications in alcoholic pancreatitis are supposed to be aggravated by inflammatory liver damage...
- Alcoholic pancreatitis in rats: injury from nonoxidative metabolites of ethanolJens Werner
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283:G65-73. 2002....
- New insights into alcoholic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
Pancreatic Research Group, South Western Sydney Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:S51-6. 2009..This review summarizes recent advances in our understanding of the pathogenesis of alcoholic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer, with particular reference to the central role played by PSCs in both diseases...
- VAMP8 is the v-SNARE that mediates basolateral exocytosis in a mouse model of alcoholic pancreatitisLaura I Cosen-Binker
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto and University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 118:2535-51. 2008..Cch-stimulated amylase release by redirecting apical exocytosis to the basolateral membrane, leading to alcoholic pancreatitis. Further reduction of zymogen secretion, caused by blockade of both apical and basolateral exocytosis and ..
- Morphological and functional evaluation of the pancreatic duct with secretin-stimulated magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography in alcoholic pancreatitis patientsIsabel Pascual
Department of Gastroenterology, University Clinic Hospital of Valencia, University of Valencia, Avda Blasco Ibanez 17, Valencia, 46010, Spain
Dig Dis Sci 53:3234-41. 2008..and dynamics of pancreatic duct diameter, as determined by secretin-enhanced magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (S-MRCP), in patients with acute alcoholic pancreatitis or chronic alcoholic pancreatitis and in a control group.
- Polymorphism in alcohol-metabolizing enzymes, glutathione S-transferases and apolipoprotein E and susceptibility to alcohol-induced cirrhosis and chronic pancreatitis
Department of Gastroenterology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:177-82. 2002....
- Alcohol redirects CCK-mediated apical exocytosis to the acinar basolateral membrane in alcoholic pancreatitisPatrick P L Lam
Department of Medicine, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Traffic 8:605-17. 2007....
- Does acute alcoholic pancreatitis exist with preexisting chronic pancreatitis?Robert Brunner
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:201-2. 2004
- Cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall associated with chronic alcoholic pancreatitis. Clinical features, diagnostic procedures and therapeutic management in a retrospective multicenter series of 23 patientsVincent Jouannaud
Services d Hépato Gastroentérologie des Centres Hospitaliers Généraux de Creil
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 30:580-6. 2006The aim of this retrospective multicenter study was to collect data from patients with chronic alcoholic pancreatitis and cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall in order to better understand the outcome after medical, endoscopic and/or ..
- The epidemiology of alcohol-induced pancreatitisMary C Dufour
Division of Biometry and Epidemiology, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7003, USA
Pancreas 27:286-90. 2003..Unfortunately, no code yet exists for acute alcoholic pancreatitis. Of the approximately 2...
- Alcoholic pancreatitisAlexander Schneider
Department of Medicine II Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Dig Dis 23:222-31. 2005..Finally, this article summarizes several hypothetical concepts that try to explain the early and late pathophysiological mechanisms of acute and chronic pancreatitis...
- Ascites with Strongyloides stercoralis in a patient with acute alcoholic pancreatitis and liver cirrhosisVasile Drug
University of Medicine and Pharmacy Gr T Popa, Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Iasi, Romania
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 18:367-9. 2009..The patient had no evident immunosupression (HIV negative and absence of immunosupressive therapy). This is the first reported case where acute pancreatitis could have precipitated infection of ascitic fluid with S. stercoralis...
- [Pyogenic liver abscess in chronic alcoholic pancreatitis]F Gundling
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Universitat Leipzig
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1679-82. 2004..A 44-year-old patient was transferred for further treatment of pyogenic liver abscess and a severe attack of a chronic pancreatitis for strong upper right quadrant abdominal pain and recurring fever...
- Genetic polymorphisms in alcohol-metabolizing enzymes and chronic pancreatitisMariette Verlaan
Department of Medicine, University Medical Centre St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Alcohol Alcohol 39:20-4. 2004..Therefore we determined whether polymorphisms in the genes for alcohol dehydrogenase 3 (ADH3) or cytochrome p450 2E1 (CYP2E1) predispose to the development of CP...
- Collagen type I synthesized by pancreatic periacinar stellate cells (PSC) co-localizes with lipid peroxidation-derived aldehydes in chronic alcoholic pancreatitisA Casini
Alcohol Research Center and Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Pathol 192:81-9. 2000Chronic alcoholic pancreatitis (CAP) is characterized by progressive pancreatic fibrosis and loss of the acinar cell mass, but the pathogenesis of pancreatic fibrosis in the human is poorly understood...
- Genetic polymorphisms in alcoholic pancreatitisChristoph Hanck
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, PUH, University of Pittsburgh, 571 Scaife Hall, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 17:613-23. 2003..However, the major cofactor associated with alcoholic chronic pancreatitis is yet to be identified...
- Gene-environment factors that contribute to alcoholic pancreatitis in humansDavid C Whitcomb
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:S52-5. 2006..Human studies suggest that PRSS1 and SPINK1 mutation increase the pancreas' susceptibility to alcohol-associated pancreatitis, and that tobacco smoking, and some factors, affect disease progression...
- Stellate cell activation in alcoholic pancreatitisM V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, Department of Gastroenterology, Bankstown Lidcombe and Liverpool Hospitals and The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Pancreas 27:316-20. 2003....
- Pathobiology of alcoholic pancreatitisStephen J Pandol
Department of Medicine, University of California, Department of Veterans Affairs, Los Angeles, California, USA
Pancreatology 7:105-14. 2007....
- Emerging concepts for the mechanism of alcoholic pancreatitis from experimental modelsStephen J Pandol
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, Building 258, Room 340, 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
J Gastroenterol 38:623-8. 2003..These pathologic processes include inflammation, cell death, intrapancreatic digestive enzyme activation, and fibrosis...
- Ethanol-mediated expression of connective tissue growth factor (CCN2) in mouse pancreatic stellate cellsCarmel Lawrencia
The Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Center for Cell and Developmental Biology, Columbus, OH, USA
Growth Factors 27:91-9. 2009..The potential therapeutic effects of inhibitors of ethanol metabolism or anti-oxidants in alcoholic pancreatitis may arise in part through their ability to attenuate CCN2 production by PSC.
- Genetic polymorphisms of manganese-superoxide dismutase and glutathione-S-transferase in chronic alcoholic pancreatitisChristoph H Osterreicher
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, NY, USA
Mutagenesis 22:305-10. 2007..by polymerase chain reaction and restriction fragment length polymorphism in 165 patients with chronic alcoholic pancreatitis, 140 alcoholics without evidence of pancreatic disease and 160 healthy control subjects...
- Alcoholic pancreatitis: new pathogenetic insightsL Lucrezio
Internal Medicine Institute, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna, Italy
Minerva Med 99:391-8. 2008Though amply described, alcoholic pancreatitis continues to stir controversy. One of the most debated points is whether it is a chronic disease since onset or progresses to a chronic form after repeated episodes of acute pancreatitis...
- Acute septal panniculitis. A cutaneous marker of a very early stage of pancreatic panniculitis indicating acute pancreatitisMaria Antony Johnson
Centre for GI Bleed and Division of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Diseases, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Government Stanley Medical College Hospital, Affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr M G R Medical University, Chennai, India
JOP 6:334-8. 2005..Pancreatic panniculitis is rare, occurring in 2-3% of all patients with pancreatic disorders, with a higher incidence among alcoholic males...
- Battle-scarred pancreas: role of alcohol and pancreatic stellate cells in pancreatic fibrosisMinoti V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, South Western Sydney Clinical School, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:S97-S101. 2006....
- High complication rate of bile duct stents in patients with chronic alcoholic pancreatitis due to noncomplianceK Kiehne
I Department of Medicine, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Germany
Endoscopy 32:377-80. 2000..The aim of this study is to analyze the frequency and severity of complications caused by biliary stents in patients with chronic alcoholic pancreatitis.
- Risk of pancreatitis according to alcohol drinking habits: a population-based cohort studyLouise Kristiansen
National Institute of Public Health, Oster Farimagsgade 5A, DK 1399 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Am J Epidemiol 168:932-7. 2008..4, 4.8), and 3.0 (95% CI: 1.6, 5.7), respectively, compared with 0 drinks/week (P(trend) < 0.001). Associations were similar for men and women. Drinking frequency did not seem to be independently associated with pancreatitis...
- Purtscher's like retinopathy as the presenting feature of acute alcoholic pancreatitisH Devonport
Eye (Lond) 20:255-7. 2006
- Does acute alcoholic pancreatitis precede the chronic form or is the opposite true? A histological studyMarina Migliori
Institute of Internal Medicine, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:272-5. 2004Whether acute alcoholic pancreatitis occurs in a normal pancreas or in a pancreas that has already been altered by chronic pancreatitis is unclear...
- Two cases of thoracopancreatic fistula in alcoholic pancreatitis: clinical and CT findingsHisao Ito
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Miyagi Prefectural Semine Hospital, Osato, Japan
Radiat Med 20:207-11. 2002....
- Animal models in alcoholic pancreatitis--what can we learn?Alexander Schneider
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Human Genetics, Cell Biology and Physiology, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pancreatology 2:189-203. 2002..pancreatitis present a history of excessive alcohol consumption, the pathophysiology underlying chronic alcoholic pancreatitis remains poorly defined...
- Activated perilobular, not periacinar, pancreatic stellate cells contribute to fibrogenesis in chronic alcoholic pancreatitisKoichi Suda
Department of Pathology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
Pathol Int 57:21-5. 2007..Twenty-four patients with clinically diagnosed chronic alcoholic pancreatitis were studied histopathologically, immunohistochemically and quantitatively...
- Pathophysiology of alcoholic pancreatitis: an overviewParimal Chowdhury
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, United States
World J Gastroenterol 12:7421-7. 2006..Reports describing prospective mechanisms of action of alcohol activating the signal transduction pathways, induction of oxidative stress parameters through the development of animal models are being presented...
- Animal models and their results in gastrointestinal alcohol researchSoren V Siegmund
Department of Medicine II Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Dig Dis 23:181-94. 2005..For some alcohol-related diseases like chronic alcoholic pancreatitis, the ideal animal model does not yet exist...
- Theories, mechanisms, and models of alcoholic chronic pancreatitisNevin Oruc
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 33:733-50, v-vi. 2004....
- Individual susceptibility to alcoholic pancreatitisMinoti V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, South Western Sydney Clinical School, Liverpool Hospital, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:S63-8. 2008..this concerted research effort, no clear association has been established between the above factors and alcoholic pancreatitis. Experimentally, the secretagogue cholecystokinin (CCK) has been investigated as a candidate 'trigger' for ..
- A rat model reproducing key pathological responses of alcoholic chronic pancreatitisIlya Gukovsky
UCLA VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, West Los Angeles VA Healthcare Center, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G68-79. 2008..The results indicate that alcohol impairs recovery from acute pancreatitis, suggesting a mechanism by which alcohol sensitizes pancreas to chronic injury...
- Role of alcohol metabolism in alcoholic pancreatitisJ S Wilson
Pancreatic Research Group, Department of Gastroenterology, Bankstown Lidcombe and Liverpool Hospitals and The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Pancreas 27:311-5. 2003..metabolizing enzymes have been examined to determine whether they may confer individual susceptibility to alcoholic pancreatitis. However, no association has been demonstrated between ADH and CYP2E1 polymorphisms and the predisposition ..
- Carboxylester lipase gene polymorphism as a risk of alcohol-induced pancreatitisKyoko Miyasaka
Department of Clinical Physiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Tokyo, Japan
Pancreas 30:e87-91. 2005..Nonoxidative metabolites of ethanol, fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEEs), might play an important role in pancreatic damage. Carboxylester lipase (CEL) has been known to catalyze FAEE synthesis from fatty acids and ethanol...
- Beer and its non-alcoholic compounds: role in pancreatic exocrine secretion, alcoholic pancreatitis and pancreatic carcinomaAndreas Gerloff
Department of Medicine II, Universitatsmedizin Mannheim, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, Mannheim, Germany
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:1093-104. 2010..of alcoholic beverages, especially of beer, on pancreatic secretion, and their possible role in alcoholic pancreatitis and pancreatic carcinoma...
- Molecular mechanisms of alcoholic pancreatitisM V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Dig Dis 23:232-40. 2005b>Alcoholic pancreatitis is a major complication of alcohol abuse. Since only a minority of alcoholics develop pancreatitis, there has been a keen interest in identifying the factors that may confer individual susceptibility to the disease...
- Study of polymorphisms in the CYP2E1 gene in patients with alcoholic pancreatitisB Yang
Molecular Medicine Research Group, Plymouth Postgraduate Medical School, ITTC Building, University of Plymouth, Tamar Science Park, Derriford Road, PL6 8BX, Plymouth, UK
Alcohol 23:91-7. 2001..at position -1019 [C(-1019)T], 4808 [G(4808)A], and 7668 [T(7668)A] of the CYP2E1 gene are associated with alcoholic pancreatitis. DNA was extracted from peripheral blood of 38 patients with alcoholic chronic pancreatitis (CP), 19 ..
- Alcoholic pancreatitis: mechanisms of viral infections as cofactors in the development of acute and chronic pancreatitis and fibrosisThomas R Jerrells
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6495, USA
J Leukoc Biol 81:430-9. 2007..This apparent paradox has led to the notion that additional cofactors are involved in the development of alcoholic pancreatitis. Potential cofactors, such as diet and smoking, have been suggested, but there are no compelling ..
- What is the risk of alcoholic pancreatitis in heavy drinkers?Paul Georg Lankisch
Pancreas 25:411-2. 2002
- The natural history of alcoholic chronic pancreatitisR W Ammann
Gastroenterology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Intern Med 40:368-75. 2001..From our experience, the relief of "chronic" pain regularly follows selective surgery tailored to the presumptive pain cause or it occurs spontaneously in uncomplicated advanced CP (excluding narcotic addiction)...
- Incidence of alcoholic pancreatitis in Japanese alcoholics: survey of male sobriety association members in JapanKatsuya Maruyama
Department of Clinical Research, National Hospital Organization, Kurihama Alcoholism Center, Kurihama, Japan
Pancreas 34:63-5. 2007To estimate the incidence of alcoholic pancreatitis, a dependence questionnaire survey was administered to male members of the sobriety association in Japan.
- Severe chronic pancreatitis and severe liver cirrhosis have different frequencies and are independent risk factors in male Japanese alcoholicsYuji Nakamura
National Alcoholism Center, Kurihama National Hospital, 5 3 1 Nobi, 239 0841 Yokosuka, Japan
J Gastroenterol 39:879-87. 2004..This study was designed to examine a possible association between alcoholic chronic pancreatitis (ACP) and alcoholic liver cirrhosis (ALC), and to identify factors relating to them...
- Bacterial endotoxin: a trigger factor for alcoholic pancreatitis? Evidence from a novel, physiologically relevant animal modelAlain Vonlaufen
Pancreatic Research Group, South Western Sydney Clinical School, Sydney, Australia
Gastroenterology 133:1293-303. 2007....
- [Role of cationic trypsinogen gene (PRSS-gene) mutations in the pathogenesis of chronic pancreatitis]I V Maev
Klin Med (Mosk) 82:12-7. 2004
- Diminished cellular immune response to carbonic anhydrase II in patients with Sjögren's syndrome and idiopathic chronic pancreatitisIsao Nishimori
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kochi Medical School Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
JOP 5:186-92. 2004..A serum antibody to carbonic anhydrase II has been reported in patients with Sjögren's syndrome and idiopathic chronic pancreatitis...
- [The multidisciplinary management of acute pancreatitis: a review of 244 cases]M Roseano
Universita degli Studi di Trieste, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche Generali, Anestesiologiche e Medicina Intensiva
Ann Ital Chir 75:443-53. 2004..The aim of this work is to valuate the accuracy of the prognostic factors actually employed and the results of a multidisciplinary treatment of the AP...
- [Re: Perforation of a pancreatic pseudocyst induced by abdominal sonography]C Jurgensen
Z Gastroenterol 42:1241-2. 2004
- Keratin 8 sequence variants in patients with pancreatitis and pancreatic cancerMatthias Treiber
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:1015-22. 2006..6%) control subjects of African descent. Our data suggest that the KRT8 alterations, Y54H and G62C, do not predispose patients to the development of pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer...
- Clinical features of patients with chronic pancreatitis complicated by bile duct stricturesFumio Kimura
Department of General Surgery, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Inohana, Chiba, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1191-5. 2004..Distal bile duct stenosis is relatively rare in patients with non-alcoholic chronic pancreatitis...
- [Acute pancreatitis: our experience in the light of natural history]M Barbuscia
Universita degli Studi di Messina, Cattedra di Chirurgia dell Apparato Digerente
G Chir 25:306-12. 2004..They conclude stating how only proper diagnosis and treatment can prevent its potential evolution in multiorgan failure...
- Clinical case of the month. Expanding abdominal mass in a 41-year-old patient with a history of alcohol abuseRacheed Ghanami
Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, USA
J La State Med Soc 156:181-5. 2004
- Non-alcoholic duct destructive chronic pancreatitis: a histological, immunohistochemical and in-situ apoptosis study of 18 casesN Youssef
Department of Pathology, Saint Antoine Hospital, Paris, France
Histopathology 44:453-61. 2004..To assess retrospectively pancreatic changes in non-alcoholic duct-destructive chronic pancreatitis and to investigate the role of apoptosis in duct destruction...
- Chronic pancreatitis and malabsorptionChris E Forsmark
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1355-7. 2004
- Antibodies to carbonic anhydrase and IgG4 levels in idiopathic chronic pancreatitis: relevance for diagnosis of autoimmune pancreatitisL Aparisi
Unit of Heptatology, University Clinic Hospital, Valencia, Spain
Gut 54:703-9. 2005..Increased serum antibodies against carbonic anhydrase II (CA-II Ab) or IgG4 levels have been reported in cases of autoimmune chronic pancreatitis (ACP)...
- Mortality in alcohol and biliary acute pancreatitisAnders Møller Andersen
Pancreas 36:432-4. 2008
- Relationships among iron, protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation levels in rats with alcohol-induced acute pancreatitisAli Riza Kiziler
Department of Biophysics, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 124:135-43. 2008..These results suggest that elevated Fe levels in serum and pancreatic tissue in rats with early-stage alcohol-induced acute pancreatitis is associated with various hemorheological changes and with oxidative damage of the pancreas...
- [Mortality and morbidity in patients with alcohol and biliary-induced acute pancreatitis]Anders Møller Andersen
Bispebjerg Hospital, Kirurgisk Gastroenterologisk Afdeling K, Købehavn NV
Ugeskr Laeger 169:4351-4. 2007..Acute Pancreatitis (AP) is a serious disease with a high mortality. The main aetiological factors involved in development of AP are alcohol and gallstones. Whether aetiology influences mortality and morbidity in AP is not clarified...
- Fatal pancreatic panniculitis associated with acute pancreatitis: a case reportWoo Sun Lee
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:914-7. 2007..Laboratory and radiologic findings revealed acute pancreatitis, and skin biopsy showed pancreatic panniculitis. Despite intensive medical care, he died of multi-organ failure 3 weeks after presentation...
- Criteria for alcoholic pancreatitis. Results of an international workshop in Tampere, Finland, June 2006I Nordback
Division of Surgery, Gastroenterology and Oncology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Pancreatology 7:100-4. 2007
- Clinical implications of incomplete pancreas divisumTerumi Kamisawa
Departments of Internal Medicine and Surgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
JOP 7:625-30. 2006..Although the relationship between complete pancreas divisum and pancreatitis has been contentious, clinical implications of incomplete pancreas divisum have not been noted...
- Etiology, severity and recurrence of acute pancreatitis in southern taiwanChun Hao Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Municipal United Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 105:550-5. 2006..This study investigated the etiologies and factors associated with severity and recurrence of acute pancreatitis in southern Taiwan...
- Computed tomographic differentiation between alcoholic and gallstone pancreatitis: Significance of distribution of infiltration or fluid collectionYoung Sun Kim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 12:4524-8. 2006..To evaluate the usefulness of various computed tomography (CT) findings including distribution of infiltration or fluid collection in differentiating the major etiologies of acute pancreatitis...
- [Ethanol metabolism in pancreas and its role in alcoholic pancreatitis]Lech Chrostek
Zakład Diagnostyki Biochemicznej, Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Pol Arch Med Wewn 114:989-96. 2005
- Vascular complications of pancreatitisRichard M Mendelson
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:1073-9. 2005..This review, with illustrative cases, describes the main manifestations of these complications and emphasizes the importance of early radiological diagnosis and intervention...
- Signal transduction in alcohol-related diseasesMinoti V Apte
Pancreatic Research Group, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1299-1309. 2005
- [Effects of alcohol on the upper gastrointestinal tract and the pancreas--an up-to-date overview]S V Siegmund
II Medizinische Universitätsklinik, Fakultät für Klinische Medizin Mannheim der Universität Heidelberg, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim
Z Gastroenterol 43:723-36. 2005..Chronic alcohol abuse may cause chronic alcoholic pancreatitis after recurrent subclinical inflammatory episodes...
- [Chronic pancreatis and pancreatic carcinoma in the elderly]M Otte
Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wandsbek, II Medizinische Abteilung, Abteilung für Gastroenterologie und Stoffwechselkrankheiten, Hamburg
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:943-8. 2005..The Idiopathic Chronic Senile Pancreatitis (ICSP) is a subset of the non-alcoholic pancreatitis and is characterized by advanced age at the time of first manifestation...
- [Chronic pancreatitis--pancreas cancer: influence of genetic factors]V Keim
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Universitatsklinikum Leipzig AoR
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:811-7. 2005..These findings may be used in the future to develop newer therapeutic principles in order to improve the dismal prognosis of this disease...
- [CME-Ultrasonography 4/Solution]J Tuma
Weiter und Fortbildung SGUM Schweizerische Gesellschaft Für Ultraschall in der Medizin
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:615-7. 2005
- Descriptive study of chronic calcific pancreatitis in Sri LankaMohan de Silva
Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayawardenepura, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
Ceylon Med J 50:5-10. 2005..To describe the potential risk factors, clinical features, biochemical and radiological features, and management of chronic calcific pancreatitis...
- Validation of fecal elastase-1 determination using immunoenzymatic assay in HIV-infected patientsClaudia Giorgia Bronzatti de Oliveira
Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Lab Anal 22:286-90. 2008..424). This test is useful to diagnose pathologies related to pancreatic insufficiency...
- Development of an animal model of chronic alcohol-induced pancreatitis in the ratH Kono
Laboratory of Hepatobiology and Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7365, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G1178-86. 2001This study was designed to develop an animal model of alcoholic pancreatitis and to test the hypothesis that the dose of ethanol and the type of dietary fat affect free radical formation and pancreatic pathology...
- CFTR, PRSS1 and SPINK1 mutations in the development of pancreatitis in Brazilian patientsAndrea L Ferreira Bernardino
Human Genome Research Center, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
JOP 4:169-77. 2003..However, the inheritance pattern is still not clear...
- Emergency pancreatoduodenectomy in nontrauma patientsKaspar Z'graggen
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Switzerland
Pancreas 24:258-63. 2002..The indication for pancreatoduodenectomy has been expanded. Emergency pancreatoduodenectomy has mainly been performed for abdominal trauma...
- Depletion of serum L-arginine in patients with acute pancreatitisPer Sandstrom
Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Pancreas 27:261-6. 2003..Acute pancreatitis may be initiated by interference with the pancreatic outflow to the duodenum. This flow is normally regulated by reflex relaxation of the sphincter of Oddi in which nitric oxide is an important mediator...
- Ultrastructural changes of pancreas of white rats after experimental administration of ethanol and cephalexinAlicja Zarebska
Department of Histology and Embryology, Laboratory for Experimental Cytology, Medical University of Lublin
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 57:452-8. 2002..Administration of both ethanol and cephalexin causes reversible degenerative changes including distinct decreasing of the number of ribosomes, swelling of many mitochondria and the presence of myelinic structures inside cells...
- Histopathological study on mechanism and background of tumor-forming pancreatitisM Takase
Department of Pathology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Pathol Int 51:349-54. 2001....
- Germline mutations in CFTR and PSTI genes in chronic pancreatitis patientsEzio Gaia
Struttura Complessa di Gastroenterologia, Dipartimento di Clinica Medica, Azienda Ospedaliera San Luigi Gonzaga, Torino, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 47:2416-21. 2002..In conclusions, mutations in the genes investigated are involved in causing idiopathic pancreatitis. Such mutations have no connection either with the age at onset or the clinical course of the disease...
- Early onset idiopathic chronic pancreatitis: Is there a role for endoscopic treatment?Armando Gabbrielli
JOP 4:133-6. 2003
- [Pancreaticojejunal anastomosis. Indication, technique and results]C Gebhardt
, Thorax und Endokrine Chirurgie,
Zentralbl Chir 126:29-31. 2001..The end-to-side mucosa-mucosa anastomosis offers the best results concerning postoperativ complications and mortality rates...
- Major pancreatic resections for chronic pancreatitisD M Proca
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University, 410 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:1051-4. 2001..pain was present in 25 (57%) of the 44 patients, and pain was encountered more frequently in patients with alcoholic pancreatitis (67%) versus other etiologies (52%), and in those who underwent Whipple/Beger or total resections (68%) ..
- Salivary gland involvement in chronic pancreatitis of various etiologiesTerumi Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Radiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 98:323-6. 2003..To examine whether a cell-mediated phenomenon involving the pancreas has a secondary effect on the salivary glands, we assessed the frequency of salivary gland dysfunction in patients with chronic pancreatitis of various etiologies...
- [Changes in indicators of external and internal secretion of the pancreas during treatment of chronic pancreatitis of alcoholic etiology with somatostatin analogs]L V Vinokurova
Ter Arkh 75:48-50. 2003..To study somatostatin (SS) content in patients with chronic pancreatitis (CP) and effects of sandostatin (a synthetic analogue of SS) on endo- and exocrine pancreatic functions in CP patients...
- Early severe acute pancreatitis: characteristics of a new subgroupR Isenmann
Department of General Surgery, University of Ulm, Germany
Pancreas 22:274-8. 2001..8), whereas biliary pancreatitis was associated with a slightly lower risk compared with alcoholic pancreatitis (odds ratio, 0.34)...
- [Genetic risk factors in pancreatic diseases--significance for general practice]Volker Keim
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II der Universität Leipzig
Med Klin (Munich) 97:278-84. 2002..In approximately 20-25% of the patients with chronic pancreatitis a mutation of one of these genes can be found...
- Different CFTR mutational spectrum in alcoholic and idiopathic chronic pancreatitis?Teresa Casals
Medical and Molecular Genetics Center IRO, Hospital DIR, Barcelona, Spain
Pancreas 28:374-9. 2004..We have therefore investigated the role of the CFTR gene in a cohort of 68 CP patients...
- Exocrine pancreatic function after alcoholic or biliary acute pancreatitisMarina Migliori
Institute of Internal Medicine, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Pancreas 28:359-63. 2004..The aim of this work was to study pancreatic function in patients who had had acute alcoholic or acute biliary pancreatitis...
- Neural alterations in surgical stage chronic pancreatitis are independent of the underlying aetiologyH Friess
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Gut 50:682-6. 2002....
- Perforation of a pancreatic pseudocyst induced by abdominal sonographyK Ocran
Medizinische Klinik, Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 42:243-6. 2004..Although it cannot be advised as a treatment measure for a pseudocyst, regression of a pseudocyst due to emptying into the gastrointestinal tract has to be expected...
- Calcifying obstructive pancreatitis: a study of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm associated with pancreatic calcificationMauricio Zapiach
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:57-63. 2004..The aim of this study is to describe the profile of IPMN associated with calcification and gain insights into the pathogenesis of calcification in IPMN...
- Idiopathic tumefactive chronic pancreatitis: clinical profile, histology, and natural history after resectionDhiraj Yadav
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 1:129-35. 2003..Little is known about subjects with idiopathic tumefactive chronic pancreatitis (TCP), that is, chronic pancreatitis whose clinical presentation, usually with a mass or obstructive jaundice, suggests cancer...
- [Implication of cytokines and role of biliary-pancreatic reflux in mechanisms of exacerbation and chronicity of recurrent pancreatitis]E N Zhukova
Ter Arkh 76:11-4. 2004....
- [Fecal elastase-1 determination in the diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis]J Martinez
Sección de Gastroenterología, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Servicio de Laboratorio, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:377-82. 2002..I (14 patients with confirmed chronic pancreatitis); group II (5 patients with recurrent episodes of acute alcoholic pancreatitis; group III (9 patients with non-pancreatic diarrhea); group IV (8 patients with other gastrointestinal ..
- [Chronic pancreatitis]Philippe Levy
Fédération Médico Chirurgicale d Hépato Gastro Entérologie, Hopital Beaujon, AP HP, 92118 Clichy
Rev Prat 52:997-1000. 2002
- Endoscopic management of pancreatic pseudocyst: a long-term follow-upS S Sharma
Department of Gastroenterology, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, India
Endoscopy 34:203-7. 2002..The present study was undertaken to investigate the long-term outcome of endoscopic management of pancreatic pseudocyst with a minimum follow-up of 2 years...
- Hypoxia and free radicals in alcoholic pancreatitisGavin Arteel; Fiscal Year: 2005..damage will be blunted by these treatments, suggesting a role of endotoxin and macrophages in chronic alcoholic pancreatitis. Next, the hypothesis that free radicals play a causative role in chronic alcoholic pancreatitis will be ..
- Role of trypsinogen sulfation in alcoholic pancreatitisMiklos Sahin Toth; Fiscal Year: 2006..by applicant): The main objective of this exploratory grant is to investigate the hypothesis that alcoholic pancreatitis is caused by premature intrapancreatic trypsinogen activation, as a result of altered post-translational ..
- Mechanism(s) of Alcoholic PancreatitisBhupendra S Kaphalia; Fiscal Year: 2011..However, metabolic basis of alcoholic pancreatitis is relatively obscure...
- Genetic influences in experimental pancreatitisBishr Omary; Fiscal Year: 2013..A clear understanding of the pathogenesis of alcoholic pancreatitis has been hindered by the limited availability of experimental models...
- Role of Intra-Pancreatic Trypsinogen Activation in Alcoholic PancreatitisRajinder K Dawra; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Role of intra-pancreatic trypsinogen activation in alcoholic pancreatitis ABSTRACT Pancreatitis is an inflammatory disease of the pancreas associated with significant morbidity and mortality and is ..
- Mediators of pancreatic cancer induction by alcoholic pancreatitis and smokingMouad Edderkaoui; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, little is known about how they initiate and promote the disease. We hypothesize that alcoholic pancreatitis induces fibrosis leading to apoptosis inhibition;whereas, tobacco smoke inhibits autophagy and apoptosis...
- Lysosomal Damage, Impaired Autophagy, and Alcoholic PancreatitisOlga A Mareninova; Fiscal Year: 2013..Here we propose a novel hypothesis for the pathogenesis of alcoholic pancreatitis stating that a combination of two events is critical for pancreatitis: 1) induction of autophagy and 2) ..
- International Symposium on ALPD and CirrhosisHidekazu Tsukamoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thematic sessions include: Stem Cells in ALD, Liver and Pancreatic Cancer;Cell Death Regulation in ASH and Alcoholic Pancreatitis;Novel Insights into Liver and Pancreatic Fibrogenesis;New Treatments of ALPD and Cirrhosis;and Global ..
- The role of cigarette smoke toxin and alcohol in pancreatitisEdwin C Thrower; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is most often caused by gallstones and alcohol abuse. The primary mechanism of alcoholic pancreatitis appears to be indirect, acting with other genetic and environmental factors to cause disease...
- Smoking, Alcohol Abuse and the PancreasStephen J Pandol; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies using smoking compounds we hypothesize that smoking compounds augment the development of alcoholic pancreatitis by accelerating redox disorders in the Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) of the acinar cell and preventing key ..
- EFFECT OF ALCOHOL ON PANCREATIC SECRETIONJorge Valenzuela; Fiscal Year: 1990The pathogenesis of alcoholic pancreatitis remains obscure...
- Pioglitazone Therapy for Endocrine and Exocrine Disease in Alcoholic PancreatitisMATTHEW DIMAGNO; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ETHANOL AND PANCREATITISFred Gorelick; Fiscal Year: 1999..One of the important features of alcoholic pancreatitis is that few abusers develop the disease...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF HEREDITARY PANCREATITISDavid Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2008..The HP and familial pancreatitis studies are especially important because of the statistical power of family studies and the ability to detect modifier genes in a uniform background of susceptibility factors. ..
- NAPS2 Continuation - Genome-Wide Association Study of PancreatitisDavid C Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the genetic basis of pancreatitis will lead to new treatments, and help remove the stigma that chronic pancreatitis is only a disease of drunkards. ..
- 14th Internatinal Symposium on Inherited DiseasesDavid Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2004..The format, venue, and content are designed to maximize participation, education, translation and implementation of the key elements of the many new findings in the genetics of the pancreas. ..
- Alcohol and the Exocrine Pancreas ER Stress ResponsesStephen Pandol; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results deriving from this project will allow us to pursue further projects on integrating the effects of ethanol on the UPR to the pathological responses of pancreatitis due to ethanol as well as provide. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE OF THE PANCREATIC ACINAR CELLStephen Pandol; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of the experiments described in the present application will allow us to propose how CCK, together with a cytokine modulating its effects, acts on the pancreatic acinar cell to cause experimental pancreatitis. ..
- NADPH oxidase and pancreatic cancer cell survivalAnna Gukovskaya; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ETHANOL OXIDATION EFFECTS ON EGF SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONDahn Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Effects of Ethanol on Pancreas RegenerationDahn Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2008..In preliminary studies, using a murine model of alcoholic pancreatitis that combines ethanol feeding and pancreatic damage induced by coxsackievirus infection, we have ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND IMMUNOLOGY OF ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASETHOMAS JERRELLS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The ultimate goal of this training program is to prepare both basic scientists and clinically trained scientists for an active and productive research career on the effects of alcohol on the liver. ..
- Mechanisms of Alcohol Mediated Organ and Tissue DamageGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. Increase the involvement of young investigators in the study of alcohol research. 4. Provide an educational forum to participants. ..
- Plasminogen System and Alcoholic PancreatitisAurelia Lugea; Fiscal Year: 2007..alterations in the plg system are an integral part of the mechanisms underlying fibrogenesis in alcoholic pancreatitis. The specific aims of this proposal are to elucidate the role and regulation of the pancreatic plg system ..
- A ROLE FOR VIRAL INFECTION IN ALCOHOLIC PANCREATITISTHOMAS JERRELLS; Fiscal Year: 2005..the argument that factors other than alcohol or alcohol metabolisms are involved in the development of alcoholic pancreatitis. The hypothesis that will be investigated by the research proposed in this exploratory/developmental grant ..
- Ethanols role in mediation of monocyte suppressionGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2009..Investigation of the modulation of IL-10 and IL-12 by alcohol in dendritic cell function may identify biomarkers of alcohol-induced immune depression and reveal potential targets for therapy. ..
- Sixth Annual Meeting of the Internatioanl Society for the Prevention of Tobacco IParimal Chowdhury; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, this meeting will be a resource to decrease the huge sociological and economic burden the world faces regarding addiction to tobacco. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hepatitis C Virus, Alcohol and Host DefenseGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from these studies should reveal molecular and cellular mechanisms by which alcohol interacts with HCV infection to accelerate disease persistence and progression. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Urokinase-type Plasminogen Activator System and Pancreatic Stellate CellsAurelia Lugea; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therapeutic strategies focusing on the regulation of uPA activation may be central in preventing or reverting alcohol-induced pancreas fibrosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE ROLE OF IMMUNE RESPONSES IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASETHOMAS JERRELLS; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. To define the role of NK cells in the hepatitis associated with MCMV infection of alcohol-fed mice. ..
- MECHANISM OF ETHANOL INDUCED IMPAIRMENTS IN IMMUNITYTHOMAS JERRELLS; Fiscal Year: 2002..By using the various infectious model systems in place in this laboratory the ETOH-mediated effects on the subsets of helper T cells (TH-1 and TH-2) will also be defined. ..
- Susceptibility mechanism in alcoholic pancreatitisHerbert Gaisano; Fiscal Year: 2007..Significance: These actions of alcohol on pancreatic acinar PM-Munc18c may be the 'sentinel' event that initiates the role of alcohol in pancreatic injury, and which could be therapeutically targeted. ..