Summary: The prolapse or downward displacement of the VISCERA.
- An initial evaluation of pelvic floor function and quality of life of bladder exstrophy patients after ureterosigmoidostomyJennifer Miles-Thomas
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Division of Pediatric Urology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 10:473-7. 2006..In these patients, a significant risk of urofecal incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse exists. Long-term follow-up studies are needed to understand the role of pelvic floor musculature in this complex birth defect...
- Short-term outcomes of local correction of stoma prolapse with a stapler deviceK Masumori
Department of Surgery, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, 1 98, Kutsukake, Toyoake 470 1192, Aichi, Japan
Tech Coloproctol 17:437-40. 2013..The aim of the present study was to classify the short-term outcomes of local correction of stoma prolapse with a stapler device...
- Vaginal evisceration 3 years after abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomySeiya Orito
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Center for Global Health and Medicine Hospital, Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 38:1385-8. 2012....
- Subtle vaginal evisceration resulting in small bowel evisceration: a case reportKar mun C Woo
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Emerg Med 43:e125-8. 2012..Evisceration of bowel contents through the vagina is a rare event that may be complicated by bowel obstruction...
- Pelvic connective tissue resilience decreases with vaginal delivery, menopause and uterine prolapseN H J Reay Jones
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 90:466-72. 2003The late onset of pelvic visceral prolapse and incontinence after childbirth injury could be explained by menopause-associated connective tissue weakening...
- Intraoperative, postoperative and reoperative problems with ileoanal pouchesP M Sagar
John Goligher Department of Colorectal Surgery, General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds, UK
Br J Surg 99:454-68. 2012..The aim of this review was to provide a structured approach to the challenges that surgeons and physicians encounter in the management of intraoperative, postoperative and reoperative problems associated with ileoanal pouches...
- [PET-CT studies of the support system and continence function of pelvic organs. The pivotal importance of Denonvilliers' fascia for surgical procedures]F Stelzner
Aus dem Zentrum für Chirurgie der Universität Bonn
Chirurg 76:1168-74. 2005..During the course of different disease processes such as visceral prolapse, these pelvic support structures are prone to fail gradually...
- Recurring and generalized visceroptosis in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility typeChiara Dordoni
Division of Biology and Genetics, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, Medical Faculty, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 161:1143-7. 2013..To our knowledge this is the first case of multiple visceral ptoses in hEDS. Visceral prolapse may lead to severe morbidity, affecting quality of life and a high rate of relapses after surgical ..
- A literature review of spontaneous evisceration in paediatric umbilical herniasWendy L Thomson
Red Cross War Memorial Children s Hospital, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Pediatr Surg Int 28:467-70. 2012..However, we encourage physicians to be aware of the potential risk factors for spontaneous rupture and in these patients expedite surgical repair...
- Visceroptosis of the bowel in the hypermobility type of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: presentation of a rare manifestation and review of the literatureEyal Reinstein
Medical Genetics Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Eur J Med Genet 55:548-51. 2012..We further review the literature on gastrointestinal complications in the different forms of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome...
- Uterine perforation as a complication of surgical abortion causing small bowel obstruction: a reviewGoran Augustin
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Kispaticeva 12, 10000, Zagreb, Croatia
Arch Gynecol Obstet 288:311-23. 2013..The purpose of this study is to critically review the available literature and ascertain the level of evidence for the mechanisms, diagnosis and management of small bowel obstruction after uterine perforation due to surgical abortion...
- [Clinical study on concomitant surgery for stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse]Zheng yong YUAN
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 46:1533-5. 2008..To discuss indications and therapeutic effects of concomitant surgery for stress urinary incontinence (SUI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP) through a retrospective clinical review...
- [Occult stress incontinence identified by preoperative urodynamic study in women with severe pelvic organ prolapse]P Ricci Arriola
Unidad de Uroginecología, Departamento de Ginecologia, Clinica Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Actas Urol Esp 32:827-32. 2008....
- Evaluation of common vaginal tunic ligation during field castration in draught coltsJ L Carmalt
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, 52 Campus Drive, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan 57N5B4, Canada
Equine Vet J 40:597-8. 2008....
- Pelvic floor symptom changes in pessary usersYuko M Komesu
Division of Urogynecology and Pelvic Floor Disorders, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:620.e1-6. 2007..The objective of the study was to compare pelvic floor symptom changes in patients who continue vs discontinue pessary use, and determine whether changes predict pessary continuation...
- [Nephropexy in the course of time. Aspects of an historical surgical technique]M Hatzinger
Klinik für Urologie, Markuskrankenhaus, Frankfurt M
Urologe A 46:166-9. 2007..Nothing needs to be added to this...
- Vaginal vault dehiscence after hysterectomyMohammed Agdi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:313-7. 2009..The purpose of our study was to evaluate factors predisposing vault dehiscence after hysterectomy and its manifestation...
- Laparoscopic apical mesh excision for deep dyspareunia caused by mesh banding in the vaginal apexM Sami Walid
Medical Center of Central Georgia, Macon, GA 31201, USA
Arch Gynecol Obstet 280:347-50. 2009..There have been, however, increasing reports of significant rates of postoperative dyspareunia and impairment of sexual function...
- Gene expressions of small leucine-rich repeat proteoglycans and fibulin-5 are decreased in pelvic organ prolapseMarie Westergren Söderberg
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Sodersjukhuset, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Hum Reprod 15:251-7. 2009..For the first time, we show substantially decreased gene signal for production of SLRPs, regulators of collagen fiber assembly and impairment in elastic fiber assembly by down-regulation of fibulin-5 in POP...
- Vaginal mesh kits for pelvic organ prolapse, friend or foe: a comprehensive reviewRobert D Moore
Atlanta Urogynecology Associates, Northside Hospital, Atlanta, GA, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 9:163-89. 2009..Even after we gain this knowledge, it will still require advanced surgical skills to complete these types of surgeries, and to help minimize complications and maximize results...
- Tissue mechanics, animal models, and pelvic organ prolapse: a reviewSteven D Abramowitch
Department of Bioengineering, Musculoskeletal Research Center, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 144:S146-58. 2009....
- Retroperitoneoscopic nephropexy in the treatment of symptomatic nephroptosis with 2-point renal fixationAdam Golab
Department of Urology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:356-9. 2009..We present the results of treatment of NP by means of retroperitoneoscopic nephropexy (Npx) with 2-point renal fixation...
- Defining success after surgery for pelvic organ prolapseMatthew D Barber
Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women s Health Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:600-9. 2009..To describe pelvic organ prolapse surgical success rates using a variety of definitions with differing requirements for anatomic, symptomatic, or re-treatment outcomes...
- [Spanish validation of the Epidemiology of Prolapse and Incontinence Questionnaire-EPIQ]Montserrat Espuna Pons
Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Espana
Actas Urol Esp 33:646-53. 2009....
- Laparoscopic nephropexy exposes a possible underlying pathogenic mechanism and allows successful treatment with tissue gluing of the kidney and fixation of the colon to the lateral abdominal wallJonas Wadstrom
Department of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Int Braz J Urol 36:10-7. 2010..The goal of this study was to evaluate the success rate and to discuss the possible pathogenic mechanism, which has implications for the surgical strategy...
- Retroperitoneal laparoscopic nephropexyJ J Rassweiler
Department of Urology, Klinikum Heilbronn, Teaching Hospital of the University of Heidelberg, Germany
Urol Clin North Am 28:137-44. 2001..The availability of a minimally invasive therapy can facilitate decisions regarding the indication after careful selection of patients...
- Pelvic organ prolapse: a challenge for the urologistRiccardo Bartoletti
Eur Urol 51:884-6. 2007
- Postcoital vault dehiscence and intestinal prolapse following abdominal hysterectomyE Kalu
Assisted Conception Unit, St Helier University Hospital, Surrey, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 26:74-5. 2006
- The effect of continence surgery on urogenital prolapseD Robinson
Urogynaecology, Kings College Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 93:25-30. 2004
- The wax and wane of intestinal autointoxication and visceroptosis--historical trends of real versus apparent new digestive diseasesJ H Baron
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2695-9. 2002
- Magnetic resonance imaging in evaluating functional disorders of female pelvic floorP Torricelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Oncologiche e Radiologiche, Sezione di Scienze Radiologiche, Universita degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy
Radiol Med 103:488-500. 2002..To evaluate the diagnostic capabilities of MRI in the study of functional diseases of the female pelvic floor...
- The "dependent viscera" sign in CT diagnosis of blunt traumatic diaphragmatic ruptureD Bergin
Department of Radiology, Mater Misercordiae Hospital, Eccles St, Dublin 7, Ireland
AJR Am J Roentgenol 177:1137-40. 2001..The objective of our study was to describe the "dependent viscera" sign and determine its usefulness at CT in the diagnosis of diaphragmatic rupture after blunt abdominal trauma...
- A case of transvaginal eviscerationA J Cerqui
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Toowoomba Base Hospital, Queensland
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 38:229-31. 1998..We present a case of spontaneous evisceration of the small bowel through the vaginal vault in a 61-year-old women. The predisposing factors and management are discussed...
- Splenoptosis (wandering spleen)E Balik
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr Surg 3:174-5. 1993..In cases with splenoptosis the clinical and radiologic diagnostic criteria are given and the importance of splenopexy in treatment is emphasized...
- Dynorphin A-(1-13) attenuates withdrawal in morphine-dependent rats: effect of route of administrationP G Green
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Eur J Pharmacol 145:267-72. 1988..These data indicate that dynorphin acts at spinal sites to suppress withdrawal in morphine-dependent rats and may play a role in tolerance and dependence mechanisms...
- Hepatocolonic vagrancy: wandering liver with colonic abnormalitiesM T Siddins
Department of General Surgery, Box Hill Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Surg 60:400-3. 1990..The literature relating to wandering liver is reviewed and four other cases are presented. An invariable association of persisting ventral mesogastrium with abnormalities in colonic anatomy (hepatocolonic vagrancy) is described...
- [Hypertension and nephroptosis]T Zajaczkowski
Urologische Abteilung Marienhospital Essen
Urologe A 30:143-6; discussion 146. 1991..Recent observation of a 22-year-old woman in whom orthostatic renal hypertension was cured by nephropexy prompted this report. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and therapy of this condition are also discussed...
- Routine castration in 568 draught colts: incidence of evisceration and omental herniationR Shoemaker
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4, Canada
Equine Vet J 36:336-40. 2004..We undertook a prospective evaluation of short-term complications associated with castration of draught colts over a 3-year period (1998-2000)...
- Helical CT of blunt diaphragmatic ruptureAlain Nchimi
Department of Medical Imaging, University Hospital Sart Tilman, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:24-30. 2005..This study evaluated CT findings for signs of blunt diaphragmatic rupture...
- [Polymorphism of clinical symptoms of connective tissue dysplasia syndrome]V I Makolkin
Ter Arkh 76:77-80. 2004
- Classification and evaluation of prolapseLone Mouritsen
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, 2600 Glostrup, Denmark
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 19:895-911. 2005..We should work on a common classification system and agreement in which symptoms should be recorded as related to prolapse and expected to improve by prolapse surgery...
- Bleeding prolapsed hemorrhoids as a presentation of ruptured internal iliac artery aneurysm: report of a caseAnjana Singh
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Hamstel Road, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX, UK
Surg Today 35:893-5. 2005..Abdominal ultrasound and computed tomography showed a ruptured IIAA. His renal function returned to normal after surgical decompression of the aneurysm...
- Cap polyposis: an inflammatory disorder or a spectrum of mucosal prolapse syndrome?T Konishi
Gut 54:1342-3. 2005
- Vaginal pessaries in managing women with pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence: patient characteristics and factors contributing to successLesley Ann M Hanson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Urogynecology Clinic, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Women s Health Clinics, University of Alberta, 10240, Kingsway Ave, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5H 3V9
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:155-9. 2006..An aging population has resulted in higher prevalence of urinary incontinence (UI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP). This study examines a nurse-run clinic and analyzes the factors contributing to successful pessary use...
- Does vaginal reconstructive surgery with or without vaginal hysterectomy or trachelectomy improve sexual well being? A prospective follow-up studyJackie A Stoutjesdijk
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:131-5. 2006..To compare sexual well being in women with pelvic organ prolapse before and after vaginal reconstructive surgery...
- Pessary use in advanced pelvic organ prolapseKenneth Powers
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Women s Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:160-4. 2006..Our findings suggest that pessary use is an acceptable first-line option for treatment of advanced pelvic organ prolapse...
- A peculiar multiple polypoid mucosal prolapse causing jejunal intussusceptionKum Ja Choi
Department of General Surgery, Ewha Womens University Mok Dong Hospital, Seoul 158 710, Republic of Korea
J Pediatr Surg 40:716-8. 2005..A case of jejunal intussusception caused by a multiple polypoid mucosal prolapse of jejunum in a 10-year-old girl is reported. The rarity of the lesion, its location, symptoms, and diagnosis are discussed...
- Sexual function in women with pelvic organ prolapse compared to women without pelvic organ prolapseJoseph M Novi
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Urol 173:1669-72. 2005..We compared sexual function in women with pelvic organ prolapse to that in women without prolapse...
- A comparison of different pelvic reconstruction surgeries using mesh for pelvic organ prolapse patientsSang Wook Bai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:112-8. 2005..However, uteropexy showed a shorter operation time, fewer admission days, and less erosion due to mesh than conventional pelvic reconstruction with hysterectomy...
- [Treatment of deficiency of spleen energy with zhenqi fuzheng chongji and its effect on Zn, Cu and Mg in serum]L D Liangmin
Dept of TCM, Union Hospital, Fujian Medical College, Fuzhou
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 11:471-2, 452. 1991..e. "supporting in deficient patients"...