Genomes and Genes
gastric outlet obstruction
Summary: The hindering of output from the STOMACH into the SMALL INTESTINE. This obstruction may be of mechanical or functional origin such as EDEMA from PEPTIC ULCER; NEOPLASMS; FOREIGN BODIES; or AGING.
Publications219 found, 100 shown here
- Self-expanding metal stents for gastroduodenal malignancies: systematic review of their clinical effectivenessA Dormann
Dept of Medicine, Minden Hospital, Minden, Germany
Endoscopy 36:543-50. 2004The current standard approach to the management of malignant gastric outlet obstruction mainly involves bypass surgery, which is associated with significant rates of mortality and morbidity...
- Treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction with endoscopically placed self-expandable metal stentsJill K J Gaidos
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, United States
World J Gastroenterol 15:4365-71. 2009....
- Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the stomach in an adult woman: a rare intermittent cause of gastric outlet obstructionFatih Albayrak
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Tumori 96:492-5. 2010..Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor is a neoplasm of intermediate biological potential that frequently recurs and rarely metastasizes...
- Prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy versus duodenal stenting for malignant gastric outflow obstructionS Mehta
Department of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 20:239-42. 2006..We prospectively compared laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy with duodenal stenting as a means of palliating malignant gastric outflow obstruction...
- Metallic stents for gastric outlet obstruction: reintervention rate is lower with uncovered versus covered stents, despite similar outcomesIruru Maetani
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 69:806-12. 2009Self-expandable metallic stents (SEMSs) are widely used for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO). A common complication of their use, however, is stent obstruction caused by tumor ingrowth or hyperplasia...
- Clinical outcomes of self-expandable metal stent and prognostic factors for stent patency in gastric outlet obstruction caused by gastric cancerYu Kyung Cho
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University, Seoul, Korea
Dig Dis Sci 55:668-74. 2010The aim of this study was to assess clinical outcomes of endoscopic stenting for a gastric outlet obstruction caused by gastric cancer and the prognostic factors for stent patency by reviewing medical records...
- Prevention of covered enteral stent migration in patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a pilot study of anchoring with endoscopic clipsIl Du Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Research Institute, Pusan National University School of Medicine and Medical Research Institute, Yangsan, South Korea
Scand J Gastroenterol 45:100-5. 2010..Placement of a self-expandable metal stent is a palliative treatment of choice for patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO)...
- Self-expandable metallic stents for palliation of patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction caused by stomach cancerTae Oh Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University College of Medicine, 1 10 Ami dong, Soe gu, Busan 602 739, Korea
World J Gastroenterol 13:916-20. 2007..To ascertain clinical outcome and complications of self-expandable metal stents for endoscopic palliation of patients with malignant obstruction of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract...
- Palliation of patients with malignant gastroduodenal obstruction with self-expanding metallic stents: the treatment of choice?Andrew P Holt
Liver Transplant and Hepato biliary Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Gastrointest Endosc 60:1010-7. 2004..Endoscopic palliation with self-expanding metallic stents has emerged as a safe and an effective alternative to surgery, but experience with the technique remains limited...
- Metallic stent placement in the palliative treatment of malignant gastroduodenal obstructions: prospective evaluation of results and factors influencing outcome in 213 patientsJin Hyoung Kim
Departments of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 66:256-64. 2007..Metallic stents are a therapeutic option for patients with malignant GI obstruction...
- Efficacy and safety of the new WallFlex enteral stent in palliative treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (DUOFLEX study): a prospective multicenter studyJeanin E van Hooft
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Gastrointest Endosc 69:1059-66. 2009b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is most commonly a complication of advanced distal gastric, periampullary, or duodenal malignancy. Palliation of obstruction is the primary aim of treatment in most of these patients...
- Gastric outlet obstruction secondary to a large trichobezoarAaron R Jensen
Department of Surgery, Temple University Children s Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Pediatr Surg 40:1364-5. 2005
- Surgical treatment of complicated duodenal ulcers: controlled trialsB Millat
, Rue Bertrand Sans, 34295 Montpellier, France
World J Surg 24:299-306. 2000..to determine if definitive surgery is still relevant for complicated DU (bleeding, perforation, gastric outlet obstruction). Two studies have compared early to late surgery in terms of bleeding...
- Gastric outlet obstruction secondary to pancreatic cancer: surgical vs endoscopic palliationY T Wong
Department of General Surgery, Lahey Clinic, 41 Mall Road, Burlington, MA 01805, USA
Surg Endosc 16:310-2. 2002b>Gastric outlet obstruction in patients with pancreatic cancer has a grim prognosis. Open surgical bypass is associated with high morbidity, whereas endoscopic duodenal stenting appears to provide better palliation.
- Malignant gastric outlet obstruction: bridging another divideDavid A Tendler
Am J Gastroenterol 97:4-6. 2002
- Gastric outlet obstruction in Ogbomoso, NigeriaD A OlaOlorun
Baptist Medical Center, Ogbomoso, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 20:234-7. 2001Forty-three patients were operated upon for gastric outlet obstruction over an eight year period. Six (14%) of these patients bad malignant gastric outlet obstruction...
- The use of enteral stents in colonic and gastric outlet obstructionC A Ely
Department of Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, 8402 Harcourt Road, Street 815, Indianapolis, IN 46214, USA
Surg Endosc 17:89-94. 2003..Enteral stenting is emerging as a viable treatment option for malignant obstructions of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. We describe our experience and review the literature on techniques and complications...
- What is the ideal stent as initial intervention for malignant gastric outlet obstruction?Chan Ik Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Guro Teun Teun Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Dig Liver Dis 45:33-7. 2013Self-expandable metal stents are effective palliation for malignant gastric outlet obstruction. The aims of study were to evaluate efficacy and safety of double-layered Comvi, uncovered and covered stent to find out protocols which ..
- Retained surgical sponge presenting as a gastric outlet obstruction and duodeno-ileo-colic fistula: report of a caseSrinivas Rao Manikyam
Department of Surgery, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Surg Today 32:426-8. 2002An unusual case of a retained surgical sponge migrating to the duodenum causing gastric outlet obstruction and duodeno-ileo-colic fistula is reported.
- A rare variant of gallstone ileus: Bouveret's syndromeAlessandro Fancellu
Department of Surgery, Institute of Clinica Chirurgica, University of Sassari, Vle San Pietro 43, 07100 Sassari, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 14:753-5. 2010Bouveret's syndrome (gastric outlet obstruction due to impaction of a stone) is a rare variant of gallstone ileus...
- Unusual presentation of Bouveret's syndromeCharalambos P Charalambous
Department of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Hope Hospital Salford, Manchester, UK
J Gastroenterol 37:476-8. 2002..We report what we believe to be the first case of a gallstone causing gastric outlet obstruction while eroding into the duodenum, yet once in the duodenum, passing into the small bowel, causing ileal ..
- Ectopic pancreas with gastric outlet obstruction: report of two cases and literature reviewYung Cheng Huang
First Department of General Surgery, Chung Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 25:485-90. 2002..We report 2 cases of ectopic pancreas with gastric outlet obstruction. The first case was a 41-year-old man who suffered from epigastric fullness and dyspepsia for 3 years...
- Gallstone ileus presenting as gastric outlet obstruction (Bouveret's syndrome): a case reportA Sakarya
Celel Bayar University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of General Surgery, Manisa, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 106:438-40. 2006..It most frequently occurs in the terminal ileum. Gastric outlet obstruction syndrome due to the impaction of a gallstone in the duodenum passing through a cholecystoduodenal ..
- Enteral feeding patients with gastric outlet obstructionStephen O'Keefe
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 27:76-81. 2012..In conclusion, NGJ feeding provides a relatively safe conservative management for critically ill patients with upper gastrointestinal obstructions, reducing the need for surgery and parenteral feeding...
- Unresectable gastric cancer with gastric outlet obstruction and distant metastasis responding to intraperitoneal and folfox chemotherapy after palliative laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy: report of a caseJoong Min Park
Department of Surgery, Chung Ang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
World J Surg Oncol 8:109. 2010b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) caused by unresectable gastric cancer is a challenging aspect of patient care...
- Benign gastric outlet obstruction--spectrum and managementS Appasani
Department of Gastroenterology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Trop Gastroenterol 32:259-66. 2011..extrinsic obstruction of the pyloric channel or duodenum either by benign or malignant diseases leads to gastric outlet obstruction. With improvement in science and technology, the spectrum of gastric outlet obstruction has changed from ..
- Gastric outlet obstruction in an infant: lactobezoarRobert J Graham
Division of Critical Care, Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Emerg Med 25:98-9. 2007
- Malignancy is the most common cause of gastric outlet obstruction even in a developing countryS P Misra
Dept of Gastroenterology, M L N Medical College, Allahabad, India
Endoscopy 30:484-6. 1998It has recently been reported that in developed countries gastric outlet obstruction now predicts gastric malignancy. The aim of this study was to find out if this is the case in a developing country like India.
- Gastrojejunostomy for gastric outlet obstruction in patients with gastric carcinomaD A Stupart
Department of Surgery, Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town
S Afr J Surg 44:52-4. 2006To investigate the utility of gastrojejunostomy for the palliation of gastric outlet obstruction in irresectable or incurable gastric carcinoma.
- Enhanced gastric ghrelin production and secretion in rats with gastric outlet obstructionEisuke Iwasaki
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 57:858-64. 2012..and expression of neuromuscular markers in a newly established surgically manipulated rat model of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO), akin to the pyloric stricture associated with duodenal ulcer, advanced gastric cancer, and other ..
- Gastric outlet obstruction due to adenocarcinoma in a patient with Ataxia-Telangiectasia syndrome: a case report and review of the literatureIyore A Otabor
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Nationwide Children s Hospital and the Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
World J Surg Oncol 7:29. 2009..Clinical and radiographic evaluation for malignancy in ataxia-telangiectasia patients is usually atypical, leading to delays in diagnosis...
- Endoscopic stenting versus operative gastrojejunostomy for malignant gastric outlet obstructionManju D Chandrasegaram
Department of Surgery, Upper Gastro Intestinal Surgical Unit, Nepean Hospital, Level 5, South Block, P O Box 63, Penrith, NSW, 2751, Australia
Surg Endosc 26:323-9. 2012Malignant gastric outlet obstruction represents a terminal stage in pancreatic cancer. Between 5% and 25% of patients with pancreatic cancer ultimately experience malignant gastric outlet obstruction...
- Endoscopic balloon dilatation without fluoroscopy for treating gastric outlet obstruction because of benign etiologiesSurinder Singh Rana
Department of Gastroenterology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Sector 12, Chandigarh, 160012, India
Surg Endosc 25:1579-84. 2011Benign gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) causes considerable morbidity and conventional treatment has been surgery...
- Gastric outlet obstruction by Brunner's gland hyperplasia in an 8-year-old childIkbel El Faleh
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Lausanne, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Pediatr Surg 44:E21-4. 2009..We report the third and youngest case of gastric outlet obstruction because of Brunner's gland hyperplasia focusing on histopathologic condition and treatment based on a ..
- The outcome of laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy in malignant gastric outlet obstructionSimon M Denley
University Department of Surgery, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Alexandra Parade, Glasgow, G31 2ER, UK
Int J Gastrointest Cancer 35:165-9. 2005The development of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer is regarded by some as a terminal event...
- Gastric outlet obstruction after long-term prostaglandin administration mimicking hypertrophic pyloric stenosisM Lacher
Kinderchirurgische Klinik im Dr von Haunerschen Kinderspital, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 17:362-4. 2007..Little is known about the complex effects on the gastrointestinal tract. We report on an infant with gastric outlet obstruction after long-term prostaglandin administration...
- Palliative treatment of malignant obstruction of gastric outlet using an endoscopically placed enteral WallstentJ Espinel
Gastroenterology Unit, Hospital de Leon, Altos de Naya s/n, Leon, Spain
Dig Dis Sci 46:2322-4. 2001Surgical gastrojejunostomy is the standard treatment for malignant gastric outlet obstruction, although it is associated with significant morbidity and mortality...
- Gastric outlet obstruction as a complication of argon plasma coagulation for watermelon stomachFarees T Farooq
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5066, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:1090-2. 2007
- Gastric outlet obstruction caused by heterotopic pancreas: A case report and a quick reviewLi Xin Jiang
Department of Abdominal Surgery, The Affiliated Yantai Yuhuangding Hospital of Qingdao University Medical College, Yantai 264000, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:6757-9. 2008..The patient remains healthy and symptom-free in the follow-up of 6 mo. This is a report of a case of gastric outlet obstruction resulting from pancreatic heterotopia in the gastric antrum in an adult woman.
- Helicobacter pylori-induced lymphonodular hyperplasia: a new cause of gastric outlet obstructionS P Misra
Department of Gastroenterology, MLN Medical College, Allahabad, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:1191-4. 1998A 30-year-old female was seen with symptoms and radiological evidence of gastric outlet obstruction. Endoscopic examination revealed findings suggestive of gastric outlet obstruction with nodularity of the antral mucosa leading to ..
- Review article: Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric outlet obstruction - prevalence of the infection and role of antimicrobial treatmentJ P Gisbert
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of La Princesa, Madrid, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1203-8. 2002The prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in peptic ulcer disease complicated by gastric outlet obstruction seems to be, overall, lower than that reported in non-complicated ulcer disease, with a mean value of 69%. However, H...
- Palliative antecolic isoperistaltic gastrojejunostomy: a randomized controlled trial comparing open and laparoscopic approachesG Navarra
Department of Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Messina, G Martino University Hospital, V Cons Valeria, 98100 Messina, Italy
Surg Endosc 20:1831-4. 2006b>Gastric outlet obstruction is a common, often preterminal, event for patients with inoperable neoplasms of the distal stomach, duodenum, and biliopancreatic area. It can be surgically managed by open or laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy...
- [Gastric outlet obstruction in chronic granulomatous disease]M Born
Radiologische Universitätsklinik Bonn
Z Gastroenterol 40:511-6. 2002..of chronic granulomatous disease, which led by an inflammatory thickening of the gastric wall to a gastric outlet obstruction. Treatment with prednisone and gamma interferon normalised the thickness of the gastric wall and gastric ..
- Large pedinculated antral hyperplastic gastric polyp traversed the bulbus causing outlet obstruction and iron deficiency anemia: endoscopic removalMurat Alper
Department of Pathology, University of Abant Izzet Baysal, Duzce Medical Faculty, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 9:633-4. 2003..We present here a large (3 cm) hyperplastic gastric polyp prolapsed into duodenum and caused outlet obstruction and iron deficiency anemia in 60 years old male patient. Endoscopic removal was performed successfully...
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass for gastric outlet obstruction is associated with smoother, faster recovery and shorter hospital stay compared with open surgeryMohammed Al-Rashedy
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL, UK
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 12:474-8. 2005Laparoscopic gastric bypass for relief of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is feasible and safe. However, comparative data to confirm the benefits of the laparoscopic approach remain scarce.
- Endoscopic balloon dilation for benign gastric outlet obstruction with or without Helicobacter pylori infectionYuk Hoi Lam
Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, 30 32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Gastrointest Endosc 60:229-33. 2004Endoscopic balloon dilation has been used to treat patients with gastric outlet obstruction caused by peptic stricture...
- Characterization of Bouveret's syndrome: a comprehensive review of 128 casesMitchell S Cappell
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19141, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2139-46. 2006....
- Simultaneous gastric and small intestinal trichobezoars--a hairy problemKevin Hoover
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:1495-7. 2006..This case emphasizes the role of radiographic imaging in the diagnosis of trichobezoars and the importance of a complete clinical evaluation of the small bowel at the time of removal of an obstructing gastric bezoar...
- Bouveret syndromeG Brooks Brennan
Department of Radiology, University of New Mexico, 2211 Lomas Blvd, Albuquerque, NM 87106, USA
Radiographics 24:1171-5. 2004
- Self-expanding metallic stents for gastric outlet obstruction resulting from stomach cancer: a preliminary study with a newly designed double-layered pyloric stentSun Mi Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 66:1206-10. 2007Although endoscopic stent placement is now generally accepted as a palliative treatment for gastric outlet obstruction resulting from gastric cancer, it carries potential limitations such as tumor ingrowth or migration.
- Successful treatment of gallstone ileus (Bouveret's syndrome) by using extracorporal shock wave lithotripsy and argon plasma coagulationChristian Gemmel
Department of Gastroenterology, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Academic Hospital of the University of Mainz, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 65:173-5. 2007
- Gastric outlet obstruction caused by heterotopic pancreasO T Ormarsson
Department of Paediatric Surgery, St Olav s University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Eur J Pediatr Surg 13:410-3. 2003..It is unclear why the lesion changed so markedly in appearance in just a few weeks. HP is a rare cause of gastric outlet obstruction in children.
- More than meets the eye: subtle but important CT findings in Bouveret's syndromeSusan Gan
Department of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Heartlands Education Center, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:182-5. 2008Gallstones are a rare cause of duodenal or gastric outlet obstruction and therefore are not commonly suspected. Rigler's radiographic triad of pneumobilia, bowel obstruction, and an ectopic gallstone is seen in few of these patients...
- Gastric outlet obstruction in children: an overview with report of Jodhpur disease and Sharma's classificationKamlesh Kumar Sharma
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Medicine and Anaesthesia, Regional Institute of Maternal and Child Health, Umaid Hospital, Dr SN Medical College, Jodhpur, Rajasthan 342003, India
J Pediatr Surg 43:1891-7. 2008b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is overwhelmingly described as infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis that overshadows other causes; thereby, there is a need to develop an elaborate and comprehensive classification...
- Gastrojejunostomy versus stent placement in patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a comparison in 95 patientsS M Jeurnink
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Surg Oncol 96:389-96. 2007..GJJ) and duodenal stent placement are the most commonly used palliative treatment modalities for gastric outlet obstruction (GOO). In this retrospective study, we compared GJJ and stent placement with regard to medical effects.
- Treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction with stents: an evaluation of the reported variables for clinical outcomeLene Larssen
Department of Gastroenterology, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevaal, Department of Gastroenterology, Kirkeveien 166, N 0407 Oslo, Norway
BMC Gastroenterol 9:45. 2009Malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is commonly seen in patients with advanced gastric-, pancreatic-, duodenal, hepatobiliary or metastatic malignancies...
- Surgical gastrojejunostomy or endoscopic stent placement for the palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (SUSTENT study): a multicenter randomized trialSuzanne M Jeurnink
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastrointest Endosc 71:490-9. 2010Both gastrojejunostomy (GJJ) and stent placement are commonly used palliative treatments of obstructive symptoms caused by malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO).
- Successful treatment of duodenal bulb obstruction caused by a gallstone (Bouveret's syndrome) after endoscopic mechanical lithotripsyP Katsinelos
Department of Endoscopy and Motility Unit, Central Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Surg Endosc 16:1363. 2002..The stone was crushed successfully by endoscopic mechanical lithotripsy. The patient was referred for surgery, and was discharged after a successful and uneventful cholecystectomy...
- Use of stents in the palliative treatment of malignant gastric outlet and duodenal obstructionR I Aviv
Department of Radiology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Clin Radiol 57:587-92. 2002To evaluate the efficacy of stenting in the palliation of malignant duodenal and gastric outlet obstruction.
- Endoscopic palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction using self-expanding metal stents: experience in 36 patientsDouglas G Adler
Department of Medicine, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:72-8. 2002Malignant gastric outlet obstruction is seen in the setting of a variety of cancers, most commonly pancreatic. Self-expanding metal stents can be used to palliate these patients and restore the ability to eat.
- Laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy in patients with obstruction of the gastric outlet secondary to advanced malignanciesEduardo A Guzman
City of Hope National Medical Center, Department of General Oncologic Surgery, 1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Am Surg 75:129-32. 2009Surgical palliation is an important therapeutic goal in patients with gastric outlet obstruction from cancer. The use of laparoscopic approaches for this condition has not been well studied...
- Laparoscopic treatment of a gastric outlet obstruction caused by a gallstone (Bouveret's syndrome)P Malvaux
Department of Surgery, Clinique Notre Dame, avenue Delmee, 9, B 7500 Tournai, Belgium
Surg Endosc 16:1108-9. 2002..In this way, laparoscopically assisted intraluminal gastric surgery with transpyloric extraction of the stone can be a safe and interesting approach for this type of pathology...
- A prospective observational study examining quality of life in patients with malignant gastric outlet obstructionCarl Schmidt
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Am J Surg 198:92-9. 2009b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) often complicates advanced malignancy. Palliative options include surgical bypass, endoscopic stent, percutaneous gastrostomy (PEG), or percutaneous jejunostomy (PEJ).
- Helicobacter pylori-related gastric outlet obstruction: is there a role for medical treatment?A M Choudhary
Section of Gastroenterology, Bridgeport Hospital Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut 06610, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 32:272-3. 2001..Bleeding, perforation, and gastric outlet obstruction represent the most serious, potentially life-threatening complications of ulcer disease...
- Gastric outlet obstruction due to giant hyperplastic gastric polypsHuan Wu Chen
Department of Medical Imaging, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 104:852-5. 2005..A 73-year-old man presented with a 6 cm pedunculated hyperplastic polyp that had led to progressive gastric outlet obstruction. It had a distinctive appearance on double-contrast barium studies, appearing as a conglomerate mass ..
- First data on the palliative treatment of patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction using the WallFlex enteral stent: a retrospective multicenter studyJ van Hooft
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endoscopy 39:434-9. 2007b>Gastric outlet obstruction can occur as a late complication of a variety of cancers. Palliation of the obstructive symptoms is the primary aim of treatment in these patients...
- Laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy for gastric outlet obstruction in pancreatic cancerKevork K Kazanjian
Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Surg 70:910-3. 2004Up to 20 per cent of patients with pancreatic cancer develop gastric outlet obstruction. Traditionally, these patients have been managed with an open gastrojejunostomy. Laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy may now be a preferable approach...
- A systematic review of methods to palliate malignant gastric outlet obstructionJasen Ly
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Surg Endosc 24:290-7. 2010The traditional approach to palliating patients with malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) has been open gastrojejunostomy (OGJ)...
- Endoscopic excision of a prolapsing malignant polyp which caused intermittent gastric outlet obstructionHugh J Freeman
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1W5 Canada
World J Gastroenterol 11:5245-7. 2005..showed a large polyp on a stalk, protruding through the pylorus into the duodenum causing intermittent gastric outlet obstruction. While prolapsing gastric antral polyps are usually benign and hyperplastic, inflammatory or ..
- Incarcerated intrathoracic stomach with antral ischemia resulting in gastric outlet obstruction: a case reportB Salameh
Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
Dis Esophagus 21:189-91. 2008..He underwent a series of endoscopies with balloon dilation with full resolution of symptoms and is doing well at 1-year follow-up. Gastric volvulus with ischemia resulting in a stricture has not been previously reported...
- Endoscopic therapy of benign pyloric stenosis and gastric outlet obstructionTony E Yusuf
GI Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 22:570-3. 2006..To examine the short and long-term success rates of balloon dilation of pyloric stenosis...
- Antral hyperplastic polyp causing intermittent gastric outlet obstruction: case reportRasim Gencosmanoglu
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Marmara University Institute of Gastroenterology, Istanbul, Turkey
BMC Gastroenterol 3:16. 2003Hyperplastic polyps are the most common polypoid lesions of the stomach. Rarely, they cause gastric outlet obstruction by prolapsing through the pyloric channel, when they arise in the prepyloric antrum.
- Gastric outlet obstruction in pediatric patientsJu Bei Yen
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 West, Chia Pu Road, Putz City, Chiayi, Taiwan 613, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 29:401-5. 2006This study reports the etiologies, management and outcome of children with gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) in a children's hospital.
- Safety and efficacy of a new non-foreshortening nitinol stent in malignant gastric outlet obstruction (DUONITI study): a prospective, multicenter studyJ E van Hooft
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endoscopy 43:671-5. 2011b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is a late complication of advanced gastric, periampullary, and duodenal malignancies. Palliation of obstruction is the primary aim of treatment in these patients...
- Steroid responsive eosinophilic gastric outlet obstruction in a childRichard Kellermayer
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2399, USA
World J Gastroenterol 14:2270-1. 2008b>Gastric outlet obstruction is a rare complication of eosinophilic gastroenteritis, most commonly treated surgically. We report a case of eosinophilic gastric outlet obstruction in a child that responded to conservative medical management...
- A rare cause of gastric outlet obstruction in the newborn: Pyloric ectopic pancreasCoskun Ozcan
Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Izmir, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 37:119-20. 2002..Rarely is the entity symptomatic, and it should be kept in mind in differential diagnosis of nonbilious vomiting, especially in neonates. The ectopic pancreas should be removed because of the late complications when found incidentally...
- Palliative stenting for late malignant gastric outlet obstructionJames M Kiely
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226 3596, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 11:107-13. 2007Malignant gastric outlet obstruction (MGO) is a late complication of pancreatobiliary and gastric cancers...
- Gastric outlet obstruction following surgery for morbid obesity: efficacy of fluoroscopically guided balloon dilationPeter L Vance
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health System, Lee St, HSC 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 222:70-2. 2002To evaluate the efficacy of fluoroscopically guided balloon dilation (FGBD) in patients with symptoms of gastric outlet obstruction following surgery for morbid obesity.
- Rare causes of gastric outlet obstruction in childrenJiexiong Feng
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Pediatr Surg Int 21:635-40. 2005b>Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) presenting beyond the newborn period is a relatively rare condition, when infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis (IHPS) is excluded...
- Self-expandable metal stent placement for the palliation of malignant gastroduodenal obstruction: experience in a large, single, UK centreA S Lowe
Department of Clinical Radiology, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Bradford, UK
Clin Radiol 62:738-44. 2007..To assess the technical success rate, and evaluate the clinical outcome, length of hospital stay, and cost of palliative gastro-duodenal stenting in a single-centre...
- Self-expandable metal stents for malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a modified techniqueR P Venu
Section of Digestive and Liver Diseases, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612 7323, USA
Endoscopy 30:553-8. 1998Endoscopic palliative treatment may be effective in the management of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. However, experience in this area is limited, and the techniques vary widely...
- Stent versus gastrojejunostomy for the palliation of gastric outlet obstruction: a systematic reviewSuzanne M Jeurnink
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Gastroenterol 7:18. 2007Gastrojejunostomy (GJJ) is the most commonly used palliative treatment modality for malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Recently, stent placement has been introduced as an alternative treatment...
- Self-expandable metallic stent placement for palliation in gastric outlet obstructions caused by gastric cancer: a comparison with surgical gastrojejunostomyIruru Maetani
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, 2 17 6 Ohashi, Meguro ku, Tokyo, 153 8515, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:932-7. 2005In patients with gastric outlet obstruction (GOO), palliative enteral stenting is a less invasive procedure compared with gastroenterostomy. Most diseases analyzed in previous studies of such stenting were pancreaticobiliary malignancies.
- Gastric antral vascular ectasia--an unusual cause of gastric outlet obstruction: report of a caseMassimiliano Tuveri
Dipartimento di Chirurgia Generale e Vascolare, Clinica Sant Elena, Quartu Sant Elena, Cagliari, Italy
Surg Today 37:503-5. 2007..The pathogenesis of this syndrome remains unclear. Surgery in cases of gastric outlet obstruction is the only reliable method to cure the patient...
- Endoscopic stenting for malignant gastric outlet obstructionMarek Stawowy
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology L, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:5-9. 2007..The obstruction was localized in the stomach (n=5), gastrojejunostomy (n=3), or the duodenum (n=16). Self-expanding metal stents were delivered endoscopically under fluoroscopic control...
- Self-expanding coil stent with a long delivery system for palliation of unresectable malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a prospective studyJ H Kim
Dept of Gastroenterology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, South Korea
Endoscopy 33:838-42. 2001..intubation of a self-expanding metal stent is usually difficult in patients with unresectable malignant gastric outlet obstruction, because the delivery systems currently available are not long enough and cannot easily pass the ..
- Gastric and duodenal stents: follow-up and complicationsI T Pinto Pabón
Vascular and Interventional Radiology Department, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Ctra de Toledo km 12, 500, E 28905 Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 24:147-53. 2001..To assess the efficacy of self-expanding metallic stents in treating inoperable gastric and duodenal stenoses during follow-up and to evaluate the complications encountered...
- Pediatric gastric outlet obstruction following corrosive ingestionB H Ozokutan
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Gaziantep University Medical Faculty, 27310, Gaziantep, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 26:615-8. 2010..Gastric injury after corrosive ingestion is relatively uncommon as compared with esophageal injury. Gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is a significant complication of corrosive ingestion.
- Malignant gastrointestinal obstruction: endoscopic stenting versus surgical palliationJ Espinel
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de Leon, 24071, Leon, Spain
Surg Endosc 20:1083-7. 2006..Treatment has consisted of gastrojejunostomy. However, the endoscopic placement of metallic stents has provided positive results. This study aimed to compare the efficiency of both therapeutic options...
- Corrosive injury-induced gastric outlet obstruction: a changing spectrum of agents and treatmentG Tekant
Istanbul University, , Department of Paediatric Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 36:1004-7. 2001..the authors' hospital because of corrosive substance ingestion, and among them 6 patients were seen with gastric outlet obstruction. Two of them had ingested acid substances, and the other 4 had ingested alkali corrosives...
- Endoscopic stent insertion for the palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstructionH A Kazi
Department of Surgery, Southport and Ormskirk Hospitals, Southport, UK
Dig Surg 23:28-31. 2006Controversy exists as to whether endoscopic or minimally invasive/open bypass is superior in cases of malignant gastric outlet obstruction.
- Gastrointestinal neurofibromatosis: an unusual cause of gastric outlet obstructionJennifer R Bakker
Department of Surgery, Graduate Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19146, USA
Am Surg 71:100-5. 2005..We report the first case of gastric outlet obstruction with perforation caused by neurofibroma in a patient with NF-1...
- Gastric outlet obstruction caused by benign anastomotic stricture: treatment by fluoroscopically guided balloon dilationJin Hyoung Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:699-704. 2005To evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of fluoroscopically guided balloon dilation of gastric outlet obstruction caused by benign anastomotic stricture.
- Clinical significance of gastric outlet obstruction on the oncologic and surgical outcomes of radical surgery for carcinoma of the distal stomachSeong Heum Park
Department of Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul 136 701, Korea
J Surg Oncol 100:215-21. 2009To determine the significance of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) on the outcomes of radical surgery for distal gastric cancer.
- Metallic stent placement in the palliative treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstructions: primary gastric carcinoma versus pancreatic carcinomaJin Hyoung Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1, Poongnap 2dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:241-7. 2009The objective of our study was to compare the clinical effectiveness of metallic stent placement for relief of gastric outlet obstruction caused by gastric carcinoma and pancreatic carcinoma.
- Fluoroscopically guided placement of a covered self-expandable metallic stent for malignant antroduodenal obstructions: preliminary results in 18 patientsJun Yong Jeong
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:847-52. 2002..The purpose of this study was to investigate the technical feasibility and the clinical effectiveness of fluoroscopically guided placement of covered self-expandable metallic stents in the treatment of malignant antroduodenal obstructions...
- Technical modifications and strategies for stenting gastric outlet strictures using esophageal endoprosthesesI Maetani
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University Obashi Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 34:402-6. 2002..In Japan, this procedure is particularly complicated by a lack of enteral stents. We report some technical stratagems for stent placement for gastric outlet strictures...
- Successful treatment with a combination of endoscopic injection and irrigation with coca cola for gastric bezoar-induced gastric outlet obstructionChen Sheng Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Chin Med Assoc 71:49-52. 2008We report a case of gastric bezoar-induced gastric outlet obstruction that was successfully treated with a combination of endoscopic injection and irrigation with Coca Cola...
- Through-the-scope stent for malignant gastric outlet obstructionD W H Lee
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 9:48-50. 2003This report is of the technique and results for through-the-scope stent in palliating malignant gastric outlet obstruction for 17 patients. All procedures were done using conscious sedation and fluoroscopy...
- Endoscopic balloon dilatation of benign gastric outlet obstructionRakesh Kochhar
Clinical Section, Department of Gastroenterology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:418-22. 2004Endoscopic balloon dilatation (EBD) has been used for the treatment of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO). There are several reports on the utility and success of this non-surgical treatment option in peptic GOO, with variable results...
- Gastric emptying in patients with palliative stenting for malignant gastric outlet obstructionIruru Maetani
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:298-302. 2008Palliative stenting for gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) offers a more rapid resumption of oral intake than surgical gastrojejunostomy. Clinically, delayed gastric emptying is observed less frequently in patients with enteral stenting...
- Randomized Trial of Rosiglitazone for Ulcerative ColitisJames Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..If our hypothesis is correct, this study will serve to establish that ligands for PPARg possess biological activity necessary to modulate the inflammatory response in the intact human colon. ..
- Association of PPAR gamma ligands & colonic neoplasiaJames Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our results will allow us to translate the existing in vitro and in vivo observations to the intact human colon and could lead to further chemoprevention strategies. ..
- SUBCORTICAL MODULATION OF THE DORSAL VAGAL COMPLEXXueguo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- HYPERPOLARIZED HELIUM-3 MRI OF THE LUNG IN ASTHMATICSEduard de Lange; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of the studies proposed in this research will serve as a foundation for developing future clinical and basic research applications. ..
- Increasing Screening Colonoscopy Among Minority WomenMoshe Shike; Fiscal Year: 2004..Demonstration of the feasibility of this model can form the basis for a nationwide project using mammography centers to enhance CRCS. ..