peptic ulcer perforation
Summary: Penetration of a PEPTIC ULCER through the wall of DUODENUM or STOMACH allowing the leakage of luminal contents into the PERITONEAL CAVITY.
Publications197 found, 100 shown here
- The gastrointestinal safety of the COX-2 selective inhibitor etoricoxib assessed by both endoscopy and analysis of upper gastrointestinal eventsRichard H Hunt
Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1725-33. 2003....
- Laparoscopic and open approach in perforated peptic ulcerHiroaki Tsumura
Department of Surgery, Hiroshima Municipal Funairi Hospital, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, Hiroshima, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1536-9. 2004..To improve the perioperative course and quality of life of the patients with perforated peptic ulcer, we investigated the conversion risk factors in laparoscopic simple closure and omental patch repair for perforated peptic ulcer...
- Perforated peptic ulcer in children: a 20-year experienceMan Chin Hua
Division of Pediatric Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taiwan
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:71-4. 2007..Although the detection of pediatric peptic ulcer disease (PUD) has recently been increasing, perforated peptic ulcer (PPU) in children is rare. We report our experience with PPU in children...
- Association between nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding/perforation: an overview of epidemiologic studies published in the 1990sS Hernandez-Diaz
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:2093-9. 2000..Later analyses have also included the effect of patterns of NSAID use, risk factors for UGIB, and modifiers of NSAID effect...
- Trends in diagnosis and surgical management of patients with perforated peptic ulcerKenneth Thorsen
Division of Gastroenterologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Stavanger University Hospital, 4068, Stavanger, Norway
J Gastrointest Surg 15:1329-35. 2011..Only a few studies have evaluated its overall utility. The aim of this study was to investigate changes in surgical management of PPU and associated outcomes...
- Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic versus open repair of the perforated peptic ulcer: the LAMA TrialMarietta J O E Bertleff
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
World J Surg 33:1368-73. 2009..The goal of the present study was to evaluate whether laparoscopic closure of a PPU is as safe as conventional open correction...
- Multicentre trial of a perioperative protocol to reduce mortality in patients with peptic ulcer perforationM H Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Herlev, Herlev, Denmark
Br J Surg 98:802-10. 2011..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of a multimodal and multidisciplinary perioperative care protocol on mortality in patients with PPU...
- Diabetes and 30-day mortality from peptic ulcer bleeding and perforation: a Danish population-based cohort studyReimar W Thomsen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 9100 Aalborg, Denmark
Diabetes Care 29:805-10. 2006..We examined whether diabetes increased 30-day mortality among Danish patients hospitalized with bleeding or perforated peptic ulcers...
- A simplified prognostic scoring system for peptic ulcer perforation in developing countriesArpan Mishra
G I Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, NSCB Government Medical College, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
Indian J Gastroenterol 22:49-53. 2003..Several complex prognostic scoring systems are available for abdominal sepsis. We constructed and assessed a simplified scoring system for peptic perforation, which can be easily used in developing countries...
- The Peptic Ulcer Perforation (PULP) score: a predictor of mortality following peptic ulcer perforation. A cohort studyM H Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Bispebjerg, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:655-62. 2012..The objective of the present study was to develop a new and improved clinical rule to predict mortality in patients following surgical treatment for PPU...
- Accuracy of clinical prediction rules in peptic ulcer perforation: an observational studyDavid Levarett Buck
Emergency Department, Holbæk Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 47:28-35. 2012....
- Complications of peptic ulcer diseaseTomica Milosavljevic
Clinical Center of Serbia, Gastroenterology and Hepatology Clinic, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Medicine, Belgrade, Serbia
Dig Dis 29:491-3. 2011..Transcatheter arterial embolization is also an effective and safe treatment in patients with duodenal ulcers re-bleeding after therapeutic endoscopy or surgery...
- Preoperative prognostic factors for mortality in peptic ulcer perforation: a systematic reviewMorten Hylander Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Herlev, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 45:785-805. 2010..During the last three decades a large number of preoperative prognostic factors in patients with PPU have been examined. The aim of this systematic review was to summarize available evidence on these prognostic factors...
- Duration of survival after peptic ulcer perforationMichael Imhof
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, Malteser Hospital St Hildegardis, Bachemer Str 29 33, 50931 Cologne, Germany
World J Surg 32:408-12. 2008The long-term course after peptic ulcer perforation is unclear, but because the ulcer population is generally older and has concomitant disease, the long-term prognosis may be expected to be poor.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis: Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy after simple closure of perforated duodenal ulcerPrakitpunthu Tomtitchong
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University, Pathumthani, Thailand
Helicobacter 17:148-52. 2012..The most common complications of peptic ulcer are bleeding and perforation. In many regions, definitive acid reduction surgery has given way to simple closure and Helicobacter pylori eradication...
- Laparoscopic correction of perforated peptic ulcer: first choice? A review of literatureMarietta J O E Bertleff
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, P Debeyelaan 25, 6229 HX, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 24:1231-9. 2010....
- Clinical trial: the incidence and early mortality after peptic ulcer perforation, and the use of low-dose aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsA S Taha
Department of Gastroenterology, Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock, Scotland, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:878-85. 2008It is not clear whether the incidence or early mortality related to peptic ulcer perforation has changed.
- Laparoscopic surgery for common surgical emergencies: a population-based studyC M Lam
Central Surgical Audit Unit, Central Coordinating Committee of Surgery, Hospital Authority, Hospital Authority Building, 147B Argyle Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Surg Endosc 19:774-9. 2005....
- Perforated peptic ulcer disease: a review of history and treatmentMarietta J O E Bertleff
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 27:161-9. 2010....
- Factors influencing mortality in perforated duodenal ulcer following emergency surgical repairS K Subedi
BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 46:31-5. 2007....
- Management of perforated peptic ulcer in patients at a teaching hospitalAli K Bin-Taleb
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Aden, Aden, Yemen
Saudi Med J 29:245-50. 2008..To explore and analyze the current status in management of patients with perforated peptic ulcers (PPU)...
- Comparison and validation of scoring systems in a cohort of patients treated for perforated peptic ulcerMahmut Koc
Fifth Department of Surgery, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, 5 Cad 10 3, 06500, Ankara, Turkey
Langenbecks Arch Surg 392:581-5. 2007..The aim of this study is to evaluate the predictive accuracy of different scoring systems on surgery for perforated peptic ulcer referred to an academic department of general surgery in a tertiary reference center...
- [Perforated peptic ulcer--a 12-year material]Håvard Mjørud Forsmo
Kirurgisk avdeling, Sykehuset Innlandet Gjøvik, 2819 Gjøvik
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:1822-4. 2005..We aimed to explore patient characteristics, diagnostic and surgical procedures and results of treatment of perforated peptic ulcer at our hospital, and determine prognostic factors for death and postoperative complications...
- Morbidity and mortality of perforated peptic gastroduodenal ulcer following emergency surgeryP Kujath
Department of Surgery, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 387:298-302. 2002..This study assessed the surgical concept and prognosis of perforated gastroduodenal ulcers...
- Incidence and short-term mortality from perforated peptic ulcer in Korea: a population-based studySeungJin Bae
Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, Research and Development Center, Seoul, South Korea
J Epidemiol 22:508-16. 2012..We estimated age- and sex-specific incidence and short-term mortality from PPU among Koreans and investigated the risk factors for mortality associated with PPU development...
- Results of surgery for perforated gastroduodenal ulcers in a Dutch populationP H J Hemmer
Department of Surgery, Leeuwarden Medical Center, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 28:360-6. 2011..This study was designed to evaluate the results of surgery for perforated ulcer disease and to identify prognostic factors for mortality in order to optimize treatment...
- Impact of preoperative physiological risk profile on postoperative morbidity and mortality after emergency operation of complicated peptic ulcer diseaseJan Hendrik Egberts
Department of General Surgery and Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Arnold Heller Strasse 7, 24105 Kiel, Germany
World J Surg 31:1449-57. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the preoperative physiological risk profile for postoperative morbidity and mortality after emergency treatment of complicated peptic ulcer disease (PUD)...
- Factors associated with postoperative complications and mortality in perforated peptic ulcerEduardo Esteban Montalvo-Javé
Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico UNAM, Mexico
Cir Cir 79:141-8. 2011..The aim of this study was to identify factors associated with early postoperative complications and mortality of patients admitted to the emergency department with perforated peptic ulcer...
- Mortality in perforated duodenal ulcer depends upon pre-operative risk: a retrospective 10-year studyJ O Larkin
Department of Surgery, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, CO, Mayo, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 179:545-9. 2010..We retrospectively reviewed our experience with operative and conservative management of perforated duodenal ulcers over a 10-year period and analysed outcome according to American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) score...
- Perforated peptic ulcer disease: mid-term outcome among Iranian populationFreshteh Kamani
Department of Surgery, Taleghani Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Turk J Gastroenterol 21:125-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate midterm outcome of patients with perforated peptic ulcer disease and to determine the main predictors of mid-term mortality...
- Candida peritonitis due to peptic ulcer perforation: incidence rate, risk factors, prognosis and susceptibility to fluconazole and amphotericin BSai Cheong Lee
Division of Infectious Diseases, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 44:23-7. 2002Sixty-two cases of peritonitis due to peptic ulcer perforation were diagnosed between January 2000 and December 2000. Of these 62 cases, 23 isolates of Candida in 23 cases (CP) were cultured from peritoneal fluid...
- Antipsychotic drugs and short-term mortality after peptic ulcer perforation: a population-based cohort studyC Christiansen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Dennmark
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:895-902. 2008b>Peptic ulcer perforation is a serious surgical emergency with a substantial short-term mortality, but the influence of antipsychotic drug use on the prognosis remains unknown.
- Community-based evaluation of laparoscopic versus open simple closure of perforated peptic ulcersKazuaki Kuwabara
Department of Health Care Administration and Management, Kyushu University, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 3 1 1 Maidashi Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
World J Surg 35:2485-92. 2011..However, there has been no comprehensive community-based evaluation of the advantages of using LSC over open simple closure (OSC). Using an administrative database, we evaluated LSC versus OSC for patients with perforated ulcers...
- Prognostic factors of peptic ulcer perforationIbrahim Barut
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Saudi Med J 26:1255-9. 2005..However, emergency surgery for perforated ulcer presently carries a mortality risk of up to 30%. The aim of this study is to analyze and define factors influencing surgical prognosis in patients operated upon for PPU...
- Perforated duodenal ulcer presenting with massive hematochezia in a 30-month-old childNa Mi Lee
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Dongjak Gu, Seoul, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 15:4853-5. 2009..Finally, an exploratory laparotomy was performed. A discrete anterior perforation with active bleeding of the duodenal wall was found. After the operation, there were no complications and the patient recovered fully...
- Gastro-duodenal peptic ulcer perforationJ C B Dakubo
University of Ghana, Medical School, P O Box 4236, Accra, Ghana
East Afr Med J 86:100-9. 2009..To determine the epidemiology of, and define the morbidity and mortality factors following emergency surgery for patients with perforated peptic ulcer disease in Accra, Ghana...
- Peptic ulcer perforation: management of high-risk cases by percutaneous abdominal drainageM Mizanur Rahman
Department of Surgery, Khulna Medical College, Khulna 9000, Bangladesh
Trop Doct 35:30-1. 2005..There were three (4.5%) deaths; 58 (87.8%) patients improved satisfactorily. High-risk peptic ulcer perforation patients can be managed by putting in an intra-abdominal drain supported by conservative treatment.
- Evaluation of risk factors for mortality in surgically treated perforated peptic ulcerT Sillakivi
Department of Surgery, University of Tartu, Puusepa 8, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
Hepatogastroenterology 47:1765-8. 2000..The aim of our study was to evaluate complications and possible risk factors for mortality in perforated peptic ulcer patients with a special reference to the fact whether definitive or non-definitive operation was performed...
- Time trends and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation in clinical practiceAngel Lanas
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Clinico, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1633-41. 2009....
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal complications among users of traditional NSAIDs and COXIBs in the general populationLuis A Garcia Rodriguez
Centro Español de Investigación Farmacoepidemiológica CEIFE, Madrid, Spain
Gastroenterology 132:498-506. 2007..Whether use of selective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase-2 (COXIBs) will translate into a clinically relevant reduced toxicity has not been widely investigated in the general population...
- Accuracy of MDCT in predicting site of gastrointestinal tract perforationBernard Hainaux
Department of Radiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire St Pierre, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 322 rue Haute, Brussels 1000, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:1179-83. 2006....
- A randomized trial of nonoperative treatment for perforated peptic ulcerT J Crofts
Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin
N Engl J Med 320:970-3. 1989....
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori prevents recurrence of ulcer after simple closure of duodenal ulcer perforation: randomized controlled trialE K Ng
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Ann Surg 231:153-8. 2000..In this randomized trial, the authors sought to determine whether eradication of Helicobacter pylori could reduce the risk of ulcer recurrence after simple closure of perforated duodenal ulcer...
- Factors affecting mortality and morbidity in patients with peptic ulcer perforationBelma Kocer
Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Second General Surgery Clinic, Ankara, Turkey
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:565-70. 2007..The purpose of this study was to identify the risk factors that predict morbidity and mortality in patients with perforated PU...
- Perforated peptic ulcer: clinical presentation, surgical outcomes, and the accuracy of the Boey scoring system in predicting postoperative morbidity and mortalityVarut Lohsiriwat
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Prannok Road, Bangkok, 10700, Thailand
World J Surg 33:80-5. 2009..The purposes of this study were to determine clinical presentations and surgical outcomes of perforated peptic ulcer (PPU), and to evaluate the accuracy of the Boey scoring system in predicting mortality and morbidity...
- Significant factors associated with fatal outcome in emergency open surgery for perforated peptic ulcerMario Testini
Section of General Surgery and Vascular Surgery and Clinical Oncology, Department of Applications in Surgery of Innovative Technologies DACTI, University Medical School, Bari, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 9:2338-40. 2003..To evaluate the main factors associated with mortality in patients undergoing surgery for perforated peptic ulcer referred to an academic department of general surgery in a large southern Italian city...
- Perforated peptic ulcer: main factors of morbidity and mortalityCarlos Noguiera
Surgery Department, Surgery 1, Hospital Geral de Santo Antonio, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas Abel Salazar, Largo do Prof Abel Salazar, 4099 001 Oporto, Portugal
World J Surg 27:782-7. 2003..There was no statistically significant difference concerning morbidity and mortality between simple closure of the perforation and definitive surgery (VT + Dr)...
- Helicobacter pylori infection and perforated peptic ulcer prevalence of the infection and role of antimicrobial treatmentJavier P Gisbert
Department of Gastroenterology University Hospital of La Princesa, Madrid, Spain
Helicobacter 8:159-67. 2003..Recurrent ulcer disease after peptic ulcer perforation mainly occurs in patients with H...
- Laparoscopic repair for perforated peptic ulcer: a randomized controlled trialWing T Siu
Department of Surgery, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Chai Wan, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Ann Surg 235:313-9. 2002..To compare the results of open versus laparoscopic repair for perforated peptic ulcers...
- Predicting mortality and morbidity of patients operated on for perforated peptic ulcersF Y Lee
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Arch Surg 136:90-4. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The APACHE II score may be a useful tool for stratifying patients into various risk groups, and the Boey score might select appropriate patients for laparoscopic repair...
- Gastro-duodenal perforations: conventional plain film, US and CT findings in 166 consecutive patientsRoberto Grassi
Department Magrassi Lanzara, Second University, 80138 Naples, Italy
Eur J Radiol 50:30-6. 2004..The aim of our study was to report our experience in the diagnosis of gastro-duodenal perforation by conventional radiography, US and CT examinations...
- Epidemiology of duodenal ulcer perforation: a study on hospital admissions in Norfolk, United KingdomD S Canoy
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, UK
Dig Liver Dis 34:322-7. 2002..To provide updated epidemiological data on duodenal ulcer perforation, the incidence of the disease in Norfolk, United Kingdom was determined...
- Surgical treatment of complicated duodenal ulcers: controlled trialsB Millat
, Rue Bertrand Sans, 34295 Montpellier, France
World J Surg 24:299-306. 2000..pylori; (2) surgery to endoscopic treatment combined with eradication of H. pylori; and (3) for GOO, surgery to balloon dilatation combined with eradication of H. pylori...
- 30-day mortality after peptic ulcer perforation among users of newer selective COX-2 inhibitors and traditional NSAIDs: a population-based studyReimar W Thomsen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2704-10. 2006Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use is a strong risk factor for peptic ulcer perforation, yet little is known about the outcome of this condition among NSAID users...
- Risk factors in patients surgically treated for peptic ulcer perforationMorten Hylander Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:145-52, 2 p following 152. 2009..The objective of this study was to identify and describe perioperative risk factors in order to identify ways of optimizing the treatment and to improve the outcome of patients with perforated peptic ulcer...
- Surgery for peptic ulcer today. A study on the incidence, methods and mortality in surgery for peptic ulcer in Finland between 1987 and 1999H Paimela
Department of Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Jorvi Hospital, Espoo, Finland
Dig Surg 21:185-91. 2004..Simultaneously there has been a significant improvement in living and dietary habits. Quite presumably, all these significant events are reflected in the incidence and results of surgery for peptic ulcerations...
- Gastrointestinal tract perforation: CT diagnosis of presence, site, and causeA Furukawa
Department of Radiology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tsukinowa cho Otsu, Shiga 520 2192, Japan
Abdom Imaging 30:524-34. 2005..Gastrointestinal mural pathology and associated adjacent inflammation are precisely assessed with thin-section images and multiplanar reformations that aid in the assessment of the site and cause of perforation...
- Perforated peptic ulcerP H Jordan
Cora and Webb Mading Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Surg Clin North Am 68:315-29. 1988..Patients who have significant risk factors should undergo simple closure. Closure of the ulcer with parietal cell vagotomy is the author's first choice for definitive operative treatment when this procedure can be performed...
- Mortality in perforated peptic ulcer patients after selective management of stratified poor risk casesM Mizanur Rahman
Department of Surgery, National Institute of Cancer and Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
World J Surg 31:2341-4; discussion 2345-6. 2007..In this study we demonstrate a treatment option that improves the mortality among critically ill, poor risk patients with perforated peptic ulcer disease...
- Laparoscopic repair of perforated ulcer in Western Denmark - a retrospective studyT Sommer
Department of Surgery, Randers Hospital, Randers, Denmark
Scand J Surg 99:119-21. 2010..to report the distribution and results of laparoscopic repair of perforated ulcer surgery in surgical departments in a major region in Denmark and compare it with the results from the national database regarding mortality and morbidity...
- Perforated peptic ulcer: how to improve outcome?Morten Hylander Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Herlev, Herlev Ringvej 75, DK 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:15-22. 2009..emergency surgery for perforated peptic ulcer and the mortality rate for patients undergoing surgery for peptic ulcer perforation have increased. This increase has occurred despite improvements in perioperative treatment and monitoring...
- Use of a fibrinogen- and thrombin-coated patch for peptic ulcer perforation repairIsidoro Di Carlo
Department of Surgical Sciences, Organ Transplantation and Advanced Technologies, University of Catania, Cannizzaro Hospital, Catania, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 56:575-7. 2009..To present our experience with 2 patients treated with a fibrinogen- and thrombin-coated collagen patch to repair a perforated peptic ulcer...
- Risk factors influencing the early outcome results after laparoscopic repair of perforated duodenal ulcer and their predictive valueRaimundas Lunevicius
Clinic of General and Plastic Surgery, Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Vilnius University, Siltnamiu str 29, 04130, Vilnius, Lithuania
Langenbecks Arch Surg 390:413-20. 2005..The aims of our study are to report the early outcome results after operation and to define the predictive values of risk factors influencing conversion rate and genesis of suture leakage...
- Decreasing incidence of peptic ulcer complications after the introduction of the proton pump inhibitors, a study of the Swedish population from 1974-2002Michael Hermansson
Department of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
BMC Gastroenterol 9:25. 2009....
- Introduction of newer selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors and rates of hospitalization with bleeding and perforated peptic ulcerS Christensen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:907-12. 2007....
- Routine use of laparoscopic repair for perforated peptic ulcerW T Siu
Department of Surgery, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Chai Wan, Hong Kong, China
Br J Surg 91:481-4. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of laparoscopic repair for perforated peptic ulcer in routine clinical practice...
- Multimedia article: management of duodenal ulcer perforation with combined laparoscopic and endoscopic methodsH A Alvarado-Aparicio
Endoscopic Surgery Department, General Hospital Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez, Calzada de Tlalpan 4800, colonia Toriella Guerra, Mexico, DF
Surg Endosc 18:1394. 2004....
- Management of complicated peptic ulcer diseaseStephen W Behrman
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center Memphis, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Arch Surg 140:201-8. 2005
- CT evaluation of gastrointestinal tract perforationKwok Wan Yeung
Department of Radiology, Foo Yin University Hospital, 5, Chung San Road, Tung Kang, Ping Tung, 928 Taiwan, ROC
Clin Imaging 28:329-33. 2004..05). CT detected extraluminal air in more cases than the upright plain films did (69% vs. 19%; Z=4.62>Z(0.01)=2.326). We concluded that CT is a good imaging tool to differentiate the various GI perforations...
- Laparoscopic repair of perforated peptic ulcer with delayed presentationBeena B Vaidya
Department of Surgery, Government Medical College and New Civil Hospital, Surat, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:153-6. 2009..Laparoscopic repair has been used to treat perforated peptic ulcers since 1990 and is gaining acceptance. The main concerns are postoperative intra-abdominal collections and performing laparoscopy in the presence of peritonitis...
- Management strategies, early results, benefits, and risk factors of laparoscopic repair of perforated peptic ulcerRaimundas Lunevicius
2nd Department of Abdominal Surgery, Clinic of General and Plastic Surgery, Orthopaedics, and Traumatology, Vilnius University Emergency Hospital, Vilnius University, Siltnamiu Street 29, LT 04130 Vilnius, Lithuania
World J Surg 29:1299-310. 2005..Inadequate ulcer localization, large perforation size (defined by some as > 6 mm diameter, and by others as > 10 mm), and ulcers with friable edges are also considered as conversion risk factors...
- Systematic review comparing laparoscopic and open repair for perforated peptic ulcerR Lunevicius
Clinic of General and Plastic Surgery, Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, General Surgery Centre, Vilnius University Emergency Hospital, 29 Siltnamiu Street, LT 04130, Vilnius, Lithuania
Br J Surg 92:1195-207. 2005..The advantages of laparoscopic over open repair for perforated peptic ulcer are not as obvious as they may seem. This paper summarizes the published trials comparing the two approaches...
- Proton-pump inhibitors are associated with a reduced risk for bleeding and perforated gastroduodenal ulcers attributable to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a nested case-control studyHarald E Vonkeman
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Medisch Spectrum Twente Hospital and University of Twente, Ariensplein 1, 7500 KA, Enschede, The Netherlands
Arthritis Res Ther 9:R52. 2007..17 to 0.67; p = 0.002). Especially at risk for NSAID ulcer complications are elderly patients with cardiovascular co-morbidity. Proton-pump inhibitors are associated with a reduced risk for NSAID ulcer complications...
- Gastric body partition for giant perforated peptic ulcer in critically ill elderly patientsJia Fwu Shyu
Department of Biology and Anatomy, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
World J Surg 30:2204-7; discussion 2208-9. 2006....
- Laparoscopic management of duodenal ulcer perforation: is it advantageous?C Palanivelu
Department of GI and Minimal Access Surgery, GEM Hospital, 45A, Pankaja Mill Road, Coimbatore, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 26:64-6. 2007..Surgery is the mainstay of treatment of patients with peptic duodenal perforation. With the advent of minimal access techniques, laparoscopy is being used for the treatment of this condition...
- Laparoscopic repair of peptic ulcer perforation without omental patch versus conventional open repairMustafa Ates
Department of General Surgery, Malatya State Hospital, Malatya, Turkey
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:615-9. 2007....
- The "stamp method": a new treatment for perforated peptic ulcer?M J O E Bertleff
Department of Plastic Surgery, Academic Hospital Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, P O Box 30001, Groningen, 9700 RB, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 20:791-3. 2006..The aim of this study was to develop a simple method for closure of a perforated peptic ulcer, making it more accessible for laparoscopic surgery...
- Perforated peptic ulcer: use of pre-admission oral glucocorticoids and 30-day mortalityS Christensen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:45-52. 2006Despite evidence that use of glucocorticoids increases the risk of complicated peptic ulcer disease, limited data exist on how use of oral glucocorticoids affects outcome for patients with peptic ulcer perforation.
- Laparoscopic repair of perforated duodenal ulcers: the"three-stitch" Graham patch techniqueP W F Lam
Department of Surgery, Caritas Medical Centre, No 111 Wing Hong Street, Shamshuipo, Hong Kong SAR, China
Surg Endosc 19:1627-30. 2005..However, it was not a popular approach because it had problems of suture entanglement and difficult laparoscopic suturing and knotting. The authors describe their technique and results...
- Laparoscopic treatment of gastroduodenal perforations: comparison with conventional surgeryB Kirshtein
Department of Surgery A, Soroka University Hospital, Post Office Box 151, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
Surg Endosc 19:1487-90. 2005Laparoscopic techniques have been proposed as an alternative to open surgery for the treatment of peptic ulcer perforation. This study compared the outcome of laparoscopic and open approaches for the repair of gastroduodenal perforations.
- Comparison between open and laparoscopic repair of perforated peptic ulcer diseaseRicky H Bhogal
University Hospitals of North Staffordshire and Keele Medical School, 42 Clay Lane, Oldbury, Warley, West Midlands, B69 4SY, UK
World J Surg 32:2371-4. 2008..This prospective study compared laparoscopic and open repair of perforated peptic ulcer disease. We evaluated whether the early results from laparoscopic repair resulted in improved patient outcome compared with conventional open repair...
- Comparison of laparoscopic versus open repair for perforated duodenal ulcersR Lunevicius
Clinic of General and Plastic Surgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery, Vilnius University, 29 Siltnamiu Street, Vilnius, LT 04130, Lithuania
Surg Endosc 19:1565-71. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the early outcome results of laparoscopic and open repair and to propose which risk factors influence the outcome...
- The efficacy of laparoscopic surgery in patients with peritonitisMustafa Ates
Department of General Surgery, Malatya State Hospital, Malatya, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 18:453-6. 2008..The aim of the current study is to evaluate the safety and efficiency of laparoscopy and its role in patients with acute abdominal emergencies retrospectively...
- Endoscope-assisted laparoscopic repair of perforated peptic ulcersKun Hua Lee
Division of General Surgery, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
Am Surg 70:352-6. 2004..We conclude that endoscope-assisted laparoscopic repair for PPU is safe and effective. This revised technique allows surgeons to exclude patients who are likely to fail the laparoscopic repair...
- Teflon-felt grafting of giant gastroduodenal perforation in a canine modelSung Pao Kung
Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Surg Today 34:145-9. 2004..However, it is still unclear if Teflon-felt can be used to effectively repair a fragile and giant gastroduodenal defect...
- Laparoscopic suture repair of a perforated gastric ulcer in a severely cirrhotic patient with portal hypertension: first case reportPaolo Gentileschi
Department of Surgery, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
JSLS 7:377-82. 2003..Laparoscopy in this setting has the potential to reduce postoperative complications. Laparoscopic treatment of a perforated gastric ulcer in a severely cirrhotic patient with portal hypertension is herein described...
- Perforated peptic ulcer: open versus laparoscopic repairW Y Lau
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Asian J Surg 25:267-9. 2002
- Color coding of sutures in laparoscopic perforated duodenal ulcer: a new conceptSimon Wemyss-Holden
Department of Surgery, Leicester Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 12:177-9. 2002..The concept of suture color-coding may be applicable to other laparoscopic procedures where identification of "suture pairs" is difficult...
- Laparoscopic suture closure of perforated duodenal peptic ulcerJean Pierre Arnaud
Department of Digestive Surgery, Angers University Hospital, France
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 12:145-7. 2002..The results of our study show the feasibility of the laparoscopic approach for perforated peptic ulcer repair, with acceptable mortality and morbidity rates...
- Laparoscopic and endoscopic management of perforated duodenal ulcersIgor S Malkov
Department of General and Emergency Surgery, Kazan State Medical Academy, Kazan, Russian Federation Russia
J Am Coll Surg 198:352-5. 2004..Laparoscopic management for plication has been safely applied in a variety of populations. This study assessed a combination of endoscopy and laparoscopy to manage early duodenal perforation...
- The sixth decision regarding perforated duodenal ulcerSandhya Lagoo
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
JSLS 6:359-68. 2002....
- Recent trends in admissions and mortality due to peptic ulcer in England: increasing frequency of haemorrhage among older subjectsJ Higham
Office for National Statistics, 1 Drummond Gate, London SW1V 2QQ, UK
Gut 50:460-4. 2002....
- Do perforated duodenal ulcers need an acid-decreasing surgical procedure now that omeprazole is available?D V Feliciano
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
Surg Clin North Am 72:369-80. 1992..abstract truncated at 400 words)..
- Comparison between open and laparoscopic technique in the management of perforated gastroduodenal ulcersMatthias H Seelig
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Clin Gastroenterol 37:226-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate our results of laparoscopic treatment of perforated gastroduodenal ulcers during a 5-year period and to compare the outcome of open and laparoscopic surgery...
- Perforated peptic ulcer--time trends and patterns over 20 yearsJ Janik
Department of Surgery, M Kopernik Hospital, Gdansk, Poland
Med Sci Monit 6:369-72. 2000..The source of analyzed data are operative reports. Several observations regarding number, age and sex of patients affected and ulcer location have been made...
- Ulcer complications associated with anti-inflammatory drug use. What is the extent of the disease burden?M J Langman
Department of Medicine, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TH, UK
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 10:13-9. 2001..Substitution of completely safe anti-inflammatory analgesics and anti-platelet drugs would be expected to reduce admissions from 4121 to 1072, and deaths from 523 to 123...
- Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on the ulcer recurrence rate after simple closure of perforated duodenal ulcer: retrospective and prospective randomized controlled studiesV Kate
Department of Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 605006, India
Br J Surg 88:1054-8. 2001..CONCLUSION: Eradication of H. pylori after simple closure of a perforated duodenal ulcer should reduce the incidence of residual and recurrent ulcers...
- [Surgery of complicated gastroduodenal ulcers: outcome at the millennium]D Kreissler-Haag
Abteilung für Allgemeine Chirurgie, Viszeral und Gefässchirurgie, Chirurgische Universitätsklinik des Saarlandes
Zentralbl Chir 127:1078-82. 2002..Altered ulcer manifestation by improvement of medical treatment as well as advances in surgical techniques and intensive care medicine might currently have improved the outcome of these severely ill patients...
- [Adverse effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. A prevalence study in Austria]Gernot Kolarz
Institut für Rheumatologie der Kurstadt Baden in Kooperation mit der Donau Universität Krems, Baden, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 115:41-6. 2003..However, there are no recent data from Austria. The aim of this prevalence study was therefore to assess the gastrointestinal risk from NSAID in Austria...
- [Laparoscopy in abdominal emergencies]Andrzej Bobrzynski
II Katedra Chirurgii Ogólnej Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 59:873-6. 2002..Most frequently performed procedures in abdominal emergencies and trauma were presented. Indications, contraindications, advantages and drawbacks with regard to own experience and literature were discussed...
- Persistence of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with peptic ulcer perforationHelena Andreson
Department of Microbiology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:324-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to evaluate the persistence of infection by virulent H. pylori strains and ulcer recurrence in 33 patients with PPU one year after surgery and antimicrobial treatment...
- Assessment of Infant Outcomes After in Utero Exposure to Antiretroviral TherapySonia Hernandez diaz; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to evaluate the risk of congenital malformations and other adverse pregnancy outcomes following antenatal exposure to ART in a prospective cohort of pregnant women. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..