Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological developments in the RECTUM region of the large intestine (INTESTINE, LARGE).
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- The prevalence of lymphogranuloma venereum infection in men who have sex with men: results of a multicentre case finding studyH Ward
Imperial College London, London, UK
Sex Transm Infect 85:173-5. 2009..To determine the prevalence of lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) and non-LGV associated serovars of urethral and rectal Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) infection in men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Urethral lymphogranuloma venereum infections in men with anorectal lymphogranuloma venereum and their partners: the missing link in the current epidemic?Nynke Hesselina Neeltje de Vrieze
STI Outpatient Clinic, Public Health Laboratory, Cluster of Infectious Diseases Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sex Transm Dis 40:607-8. 2013..1%) had concurrent urethral LGV. Among 59 partners, 4 (6.8%) had urethral LGV infections. Urethral LGV is common, probably key in transmission, and missed in current routine LGV screening algorithms. ..
- Diagnostic and clinical implications of anorectal lymphogranuloma venereum in men who have sex with men: a retrospective case-control studyAkke K van der Bij
Department of HIV and STD Research, Municipal Health Service of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 42:186-94. 2006..Recently, outbreaks of anorectal lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) have occurred among men who have sex with men (MSM). This study identifies risk factors and clinical predictors of LGV to determine the implications for clinical practice...
- Late rectal toxicity after conformal radiotherapy of prostate cancer (I): multivariate analysis and dose-responseM W Skwarchuk
Department of Medical Physics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47:103-13. 2000....
- Lymphogranuloma venereum detected from the pharynx in four London men who have sex with menO Dosekun
Guy s and St Thomas NHS Trust, Camden Provider Services, London, UK
Int J STD AIDS 24:495-6. 2013..These cases also highlight other possible routes of infection for LGV, and add to the broad spectrum of clinical presentations associated with this infection...
- High prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae infections among HIV-1 negative men who have sex with men in coastal KenyaEduard J Sanders
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, PO Box 230, Kilifi, Kenya
Sex Transm Infect 86:440-1. 2010..To assess the burden of Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and Neisseria gonorrhoeae (NG) in high-risk HIV-1 negative men who have sex with men (MSM) in Africa...
- Transvaginal ultrasonography combined with water-contrast in the rectum in the diagnosis of rectovaginal endometriosis infiltrating the bowelMario Valenzano Menada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, San Martino Hospital, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Fertil Steril 89:699-700. 2008..In 4 of 5 (80.0%) nodules reaching the submucosa, the depth of infiltration was underestimated by RWC-TVS. The RWC-TVS reliably determined the largest diameter of the endometriotic nodules and was well tolerated by the patients...
- 3D CT-based high-dose-rate brachytherapy for cervical cancer: clinical impact on late rectal bleeding and local controlHyun Cheol Kang
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Republic of Korea
Radiother Oncol 97:507-13. 2010..To identify the impact of 3D CT-based high-dose-rate intracavitary radiotherapy (ICR) on late rectal bleeding (LRB) and local control (LC) in patients with cervical cancer...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children and adolescentsEmily R Perito
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0136, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 54:266-70. 2012..The aim of this study was to describe the presenting symptoms, endoscopic and histologic findings, and clinical courses of pediatric patients diagnosed with solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (SRUS)...
- A rare and often unrecognized cause of hematochezia and tenesmus in childhood: solitary rectal ulcer syndromeDeniz Ertem
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatrics 110:e79. 2002..There are few pediatric case reports in English literature. Here, we describe 2 children with SRUS, aged 11 and 14 years, whose SRUS was diagnosed 2 and 6 years, respectively, after the onset of the first signs and symptoms...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childhood: a rare, benign, and probably misdiagnosed cause of rectal bleeding. Report of three casesJavier Martín de Carpi
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Passeig Sant Joan de Deu, 2, Esplugues de Llobregat, 08950 Barcelona, Spain
Dis Colon Rectum 50:534-9. 2007..Endoscopy and histologic examination confirms this condition...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum in men screened for pharyngeal and rectal infection, GermanyKarin Haar
Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 19:488-92. 2013..Many infections were asymptomatic. An adjusted C. trachomatis screening policy is justified in Germany...
- Complete surgery for low rectal endometriosis: long-term results of a 100-case prospective studyBertrand Dousset
Department of Digestive and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Ann Surg 251:887-95. 2010....
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children: a literature reviewSeyed Mohsen Dehghani
Gastroenterohepatology Research Center, Shiraz Transplant Research Center, Nemazee Teaching Hospital, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz 71937 11351, Iran
World J Gastroenterol 18:6541-5. 2012..This condition in children is benign; however, morbidity is an important problem as reflected by persistence of symptoms, especially rectal bleeding. In this review, we discuss current diagnosis and treatment for SRUS...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum is rare in Australian community-based samples of men who have sex with menDavid J Templeton
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, 376 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
Sex Transm Dis 38:48-9. 2011..3 per 100 PY, 95% Confidence Interval 0.008-1.7. Routine LGV typing of chlamydia infections in asymptomatic Australian men who have sex with men does not appear justified...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum as a cause of rectal strictureIlia Pinsk
Department of Surgery, The Ottawa Hospital and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Can J Surg 50:E31-2. 2007
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childhoodRadha R Pai
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore 575001, Karnataka, India
Trop Gastroenterol 29:177-8. 2008..Colonoscopy revealed multiple ulcers which on histopathological examination showed features of SRUS with severe reactive changes of regeneration mimicking malignancy...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children. A report of three casesH O S Gabra
Paediatric Surgical Unit, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield S10 2TH, UK
Eur J Pediatr Surg 15:213-6. 2005..The other patient was a fifteen-year-old girl presenting with severe rectal stricture as a result of the syndrome, which is the first to be reported in the paediatric literature...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childrenAlireza S Keshtgar
University Hospital Lewisham, National Health Service Trust, London, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:89-92. 2008..A therapeutic role for botulinum toxin injection into the external anal sphincter for treatment of SRUS associated with constipation and paradoxical contraction of pelvic floor and external anal sphincter muscles in children, may exist...
- Fertility after bowel resection for endometriosisSimone Ferrero
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, Largo R Benzi 1, Genoa, Italy
Fertil Steril 92:41-6. 2009..To determine the pregnancy rate after bowel resection for rectosigmoid endometriosis...
- Clinical presentation of and outcome for solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childrenCarol Blackburn
Department of Gastroenterology, Children s Research Centre, Our Ladys Children s Hospital Crumlin, Dublin, Ireland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 54:263-5. 2012..We have reviewed the presentation and outcome following conservative management of a group of children with SRUS attending a single national paediatric gastrointesinal referral unit...
- Case report: lymphogranuloma venereum in New ZealandAnne Robertson
Sexual Health Service, MidCentral Health, Palmerston North 4414, New Zealand
Sex Health 5:369-70. 2008..Investigation and management of LGV is discussed...
- Surgical outcome and long-term follow-up after segmental colorectal resection in women with a complete obstruction of the rectosigmoid due to endometriosisM J H de Jong
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Endometriosis Center VUMC, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 26:50-5. 2009..Intestinal involvement is reported in up to 12% of women with endometriosis. Complete large bowel obstruction is a rare complication of intestinal endometriosis. It is estimated to occur in less than 1% of the cases...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a clinicopathological study of 13 casesNabeel Al-Brahim
Department of Pathology, Farwania Hospital, Kuwait
Saudi J Gastroenterol 15:188-92. 2009..To further characterize the clinical and pathological features, a retrospective, hospital-based clinicopathological study was conducted...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a case seriesN Suresh
Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600 034, India
Indian Pediatr 47:1059-61. 2010..The other modalities included oral 5-amino salicylate (59%), sucralfate enema (4.5%) and rectal mesalamine in 9%. 64% children recovered and 13.6% had recurrence of symptoms...
- Can transvaginal sonography predict infiltration depth in patients with deep infiltrating endometriosis of the rectum?Gernot Hudelist
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Centre for Endometriosis, Villach General Hospital Nikolaigasse 43, 9500 Villach, Austria
Hum Reprod 24:1012-7. 2009..Furthermore, we aimed to investigate whether TVS can predict infiltration depth based on the distortion of characteristic sonomorphologic features of the rectal wall...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: characteristics, outcomes and predictive profiles for persistent bleeding per rectumV H Chong
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Medicine, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha RIPAS Hospital, Bandar Seri Begawan, BA 1710, Brunei Darussalam
Singapore Med J 47:1063-8. 2006..This study assessed the clinical, endoscopical characteristics and predictive profiles for persistent BPR...
- Alarm symptoms in early diagnosis of cancer in primary care: cohort study using General Practice Research DatabaseRoger Jones
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Health and Social Care Research, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, London SE1 6SP
BMJ 334:1040. 2007..To evaluate the association between alarm symptoms and the subsequent diagnosis of cancer in a large population based study in primary care...
- Anastomotic leaks after intestinal anastomosis: it's later than you thinkNeil Hyman
Dept of Surgery, Fletcher 464, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Ave, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Ann Surg 245:254-8. 2007..We sought to use a prospective database to define the true incidence and presentation of anastomotic leakage after intestinal anastomosis...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: an endoscopic and histological presentation and literature reviewJy Ming Chiang
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:348-56. 2006..Although the clinicopathologic features of solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (SRUS) are well documented, the heterogeneous endoscopic appearance of lesions that the syndrome produces and its rare incidence may make for clinical confusion...
- 'Fast track' postoperative management protocol for patients with high co-morbidity undergoing complex abdominal and pelvic colorectal surgeryC P Delaney
Department of Colorectal Surgery A 111, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Br J Surg 88:1533-8. 2001..This study evaluated a 'fast track' protocol in patients undergoing major colonic and rectal surgery...
- Rectal chlamydia--a reservoir of undiagnosed infection in men who have sex with menN T Annan
GUM HIV Directorate, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Sex Transm Infect 85:176-9. 2009..To determine the prevalence of rectal chlamydia infection in a cohort of men who have sex with men (MSM) and the proportion of infection that would be missed without routine screening...
- Management of benign rectal strictures: a review of present therapeutic proceduresG Garcea
Colorectal Department, The Leicester General Hospital, and the dagger Colorectal Department, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1451-60. 2003..Case reports detailing a particular treatment option abound in the surgical literature. An overall précis of the different techniques available is presented, with a comparison of their relative strengths and weaknesses...
- Surgical management of deep infiltrating endometriosis of the rectum: pleading for a symptom-guided approachHorace Roman
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Clinique Gynécologique et Obstétricale, Rouen University Hospital, 1 rue de Germont, 76031 Rouen, France
Hum Reprod 26:274-81. 2011..Instead of choosing between medical and surgical management in the treatment of DIER, it is most likely that the two therapies should be associated...
- Surgical outcome and long-term follow up after laparoscopic rectosigmoid resection in women with deep infiltrating endometriosisR Seracchioli
Center of Reconstructive Pelvic Endo surgery, Reproductive Medicine Unit, S Orsola Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
BJOG 114:889-95. 2007....
- Long-term follow-up after conservative surgery for rectovaginal endometriosisLuigi Fedele
Clinica Ostetrico Ginecologica dell Università di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1020-4. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate long-term results in patients who received conservative surgical treatment for rectovaginal endometriosis...
- Predicting colorectal cancer risk in patients with rectal bleedingRoma Robertson
Community Health Sciences, General Practice Section, University of Edinburgh, 20 West Richmond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9DX
Br J Gen Pract 56:763-7. 2006..Rectal bleeding is an important symptom of colorectal cancer but has low predictive value in primary care...
- Classic "outlet" rectal bleeding does not require full colonoscopy to exclude significant pathologyEric L Marderstein
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 51:202-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine whether complete colonoscopy is necessary in the evaluation of patients with "outlet" rectal bleeding...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: clinical findings, surgical treatment, and outcomesCarlos Torres
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950, Cleveland clinic Blvd, Weston, FL 33332, USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1389-93. 2007..The aim of the present study was to assess the clinical findings, surgical treatment, and outcomes in patients who suffer from SRUS...
- Confirming the Chlamydia trachomatis status of referred rectal specimensSarah Alexander
Sexually Transmitted Bacteria Reference Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HT, UK
Sex Transm Infect 83:327-9. 2007..To assess the reliability of different laboratory methods for the detection of Chlamydia trachomatis in rectal specimens..
- Laparoscopic treatment of deep endometriosis with segmental colorectal resection: short-term morbidityLiliana Mereu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ospedale Sacro Cuore, Negrar Verona, Italy
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:463-9. 2007..We describe the results of our experience as a tertiary care endometriosis referral center in complete laparoscopic management of deep pelvic endometriosis with bowel involvement...
- Outcome of laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosisEmile Darai
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hopital Tenon, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 19:308-13. 2007..Since the first description of laparoscopic colorectal resection by Redwine and Sharp, the feasibility of this approach has been confirmed by several teams but remains a matter of debate...
- Factors identifying higher risk rectal bleeding in general practiceBrian G Ellis
The Swan Surgery, Petersfield
Br J Gen Pract 55:949-55. 2005..Rectal bleeding is a common symptom. The ability to distinguish those patients having serious underlying pathology from those with self-limiting conditions is a continuing dilemma in general practice...
- Urinary complications after surgery for posterior deep infiltrating endometriosis are related to the extent of dissection and to uterosacral ligaments resectionGil Dubernard
Service de Gynecologie, obstétrique et médecine de la reproduction, Hopital Tenon, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, France
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:235-40. 2008..Surgery designed to spare the pelvic autonomic nerves could reduce the incidence of urinary complications...
- Laparoscopic resection of deep pelvic endometriosis with rectosigmoid involvementHans J Duepree
Department of Colorectal Surgery, and The Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Am Coll Surg 195:754-8. 2002..The purpose of this study was to describe our experience with planned complete laparoscopic management of deep pelvic endometriosis with bowel involvement...
- Patient-assessed late toxicity rates and principal component analysis after image-guided radiation therapy for prostate cancerMarketa Skala
Department of Radiation Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:690-8. 2007....
- A case of primary syphilis in the rectumSung Ho Song
Department of Urology, Eulji Medical University, Daejeon, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 20:886-7. 2005..After injection of penicillin G benzathine for 3 weeks, the rectal chancre and the palpable mass disappeared...
- Previous abdominal operations do not affect the outcomes of laparoscopic colorectal surgeryW L Law
Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Surg Endosc 19:326-30. 2005..This study aimed to investigate the impact of previous abdominal surgery on laparoscopic colorectal surgery...
- Urological and colorectal complications following surgery for rectovaginal endometriosisA Slack
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
BJOG 114:1278-82. 2007..To report the short- and medium-term complications of laparoscopic laser excisional surgery for rectovaginal endometriosis...
- Delayed functional outcomes associated with surgical management of deep rectovaginal endometriosis with rectal involvement: giving patients an informed choiceHorace Roman
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Rouen University Hospital, Rouen, France
Hum Reprod 25:890-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare delayed functional digestive and urinary outcomes following two different surgical procedures used in the management of rectal endometriosis...
- Laparoscopic colorectal resection for deep infiltrating endometriosis: analysis of 436 casesGiacomo Ruffo
Department of General Surgery, Sacro Cuore Don Calabria General Hospital, Verona, Italy
Surg Endosc 24:63-7. 2010..Complete removal of all visible lesions is considered the adequate treatment of pelvic endometriosis in order to reduce recurrence. Laparoscopic colorectal resection of bowel endometriosis is still challenging. A large series is reported...
- Histopathological extent of rectal invasion by rectovaginal endometriosisA Kavallaris
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Friedrich Schiller University, Bachstrasse 18, 07740 Jena, Germany
Hum Reprod 18:1323-7. 2003..We aimed to evaluate the microscopic extent of endometriosis in surgical en-bloc specimens of vaginal skin, rectovaginal septum, cul-de-sac, and part of the rectosigmoid bowel...
- Management of post-anopexy rectal strictureM Pescatori
Coloproctology Unit, Villa Flaminia Hospital, Via L Bodio 58, I 100191 Rome, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 6:125-6. 2002
- Impact of volume and location of irradiated rectum wall on rectal blood loss after radiotherapy of prostate cancerPeter C M Koper
Department of Radiotherapy, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1072-82. 2004..To identify dose-volume parameters related to late rectal bleeding after radiotherapy for prostate cancer...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a series of 13 patients operated with a mean follow-up of 4.5 yearsF Marchal
Department of Gastro Intestinal Surgery C, Brabois Hospital, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Int J Colorectal Dis 16:228-33. 2001..Delorme's operation and abdominal rectopexy help in about 60% of cases...
- [Laparoscopic surgery of profund endometriosis with rectal affect]H Roman
Clinica Ginecologie şi Obstetrică, Spitalul Universitar Rouen, Franta
Chirurgia (Bucur) 102:421-8. 2007..To present the principles of laparoscopic treatment for rectal endometriosis and to discuss possible postoperative outcomes...
- Quality of life after laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosisGil Dubernard
Service de Gynecologie, obstétrique et médecine de la reproduction, Hopital Tenon, Université Saint Antoine Paris VI, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, France
Hum Reprod 21:1243-7. 2006..Therefore, the aims of the current study were to evaluate the efficacy of laparoscopic segmental colorectal resection for endometriosis on quality of life and gynaecologic and digestive symptoms, and its complications...
- Medical treatment for rectovaginal endometriosis: what is the evidence?Paolo Vercellini
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Istituto Luigi Mangiagalli, University of Milan, Via Commenda 12, 20122 Milan, Italy
Hum Reprod 24:2504-14. 2009..Surgical treatment may be effective but is associated with a high risk of morbidity and major complications. Information on the effect of medical alternatives for pain relief in this condition is scarce...
- Digital rectal examination compares favourably with conventional water-soluble contrast enema in the assessment of anastomotic healing after low rectal excision: a cohort studyChoong Leong Tang
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 168609, Singapore
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:262-6. 2005..Interpretation of these radiographs is sometimes difficult and imprecise. As these anastomoses are within the reach of a simple digital rectal examination (DRE), this approach is proposed as an effective and accurate adjunct...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome associated with ulcerative colitisNorimitsu Uza
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 63:355-6. 2006
- Complications after stapled hemorrhoidectomy: can they be prevented?B Ravo
Rome American Hospital, Via Emilio Longoni 69, I 00155 Rome, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 6:83-8. 2002..Most complications can be avoided by respecting the rectal wall anatomy in the execution of the procedure...
- Histopathologic features of endometriotic rectal nodules and the implications for management by rectal nodule excisionHorace Roman
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Rouen University Hospital, Rouen, France
Fertil Steril 92:1250-2. 2009..These data might be useful for surgeons performing rectal nodule excision, suggesting the benefits of administrating postoperative medical treatment to reduce the risk of rectal recurrences caused by remaining active endometriotic foci...
- Screening for chlamydia and gonorrhoea in men who have sex with men in clinical and non-clinical settingsMarian J Currie
Academic Unit of Internal Medicine, Australian National University Medical School, Canberra Clinical School, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, ACT
Sex Health 3:123-6. 2006..Our aim was to determine the rate of positive chlamydia and gonorrhoea tests in this population in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)...
- Rectal intussusception is associated with abnormal levator ani muscle structure and morphometryN Rodrigo
Sydney Medical School Nepean, Nepean Hospital, Penrith, NSW 2750, Australia
Tech Coloproctol 15:39-43. 2011..It was hypothesized that RI is associated with abnormal levator ani muscle anatomy and function...
- Complications, pregnancy and recurrence in a prospective series of 500 patients operated on by the shaving technique for deep rectovaginal endometriotic nodulesJacques Donnez
Department of Gynecology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Reprod 25:1949-58. 2010..The debate continues between advocates of the shaving technique and supporters of bowel resection in case of deep endometriosis with rectal muscularis involvement, despite little evidence for better improvement with bowel resection...
- Bowel resection for deep endometriosis: a systematic reviewC De Cicco
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
BJOG 118:285-91. 2011..In a recent review of over 10000 segmental bowel resections for indications other than endometriosis, low rectum resections, in particular, were associated with a high long-term complication rate for bladder, bowel and sexual function...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children: a prospective study of cases from southern IranSeyed Mohsen Dehghani
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:93-5. 2008..As it is rare, its incidence is uncertain, but has been estimated to be one in 100 000 in adults. A few cases, however, have been reported in pediatric age groups...
- Clinical presentation and surgical outcome in patients with solitary rectal ulcer syndromeHong Jo Choi
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Surg Innov 12:307-13. 2005..The results of this study show the positive role of surgical treatment for underlying functional disorders in the improvement of incidental solitary rectal ulcer syndrome...
- Discoid or segmental rectosigmoid resection for deep infiltrating endometriosis: a case-control studyFrancesco Fanfani
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Fertil Steril 94:444-9. 2010..To evaluate the efficacy of discoid resection for the treatment of deep infiltrating endometriosis and whether it could be considered to be a valid alternative to the rectosigmoid segmental resection...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: endoscopic spectrum and review of the literatureAla I Sharara
Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Gastrointest Endosc 62:755-62. 2005
- Use of the CEEA stapler to avoid ultra-low segmental resection of a full-thickness rectal endometriotic noduleS J Gordon
Department of Endo-Surgery, Mercy Hospital for Women, East Melbourne, VIC 3002 Australia
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 8:312-6. 2001..Postoperative barium enema was obviated by rapid return to normal bowel habits and complete resolution of dyschezia and dyspareunia...
- Acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding from a dieulafoy lesion proximal to the anorectal junction post-orthotopic liver transplantWichian Apiratpracha
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
World J Gastroenterol 12:7547-8. 2006..Hemostasis was achieved with epinephrine injection and thermal coagulation...
- Laparoscopic reintervention in colorectal surgeryR P G Ten Broek
Department of Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Minerva Chir 63:161-8. 2008..Improved diagnostic tools for mapping adhesions will also facilitate patient selection for laparoscopic treatment of SBO...
- Ischemic proctitis: case series and literature reviewSuhail Sharif
Department of Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago Metropolitan Group Hospitals St Francis Hospital, Evanston, Illinois 60202, USA
Am Surg 72:1241-7. 2006..In our series, two-thirds of the cases involved transmural necrosis of the rectal wall (40% mortality) and the remaining one-third presented with patchy ischemic changes (20% mortality)...
- Anorectal function problems after left hemicolectomyLeopoldo Sarli
Department of Surgical Sciences, Section of General Surgical Clinics and Surgical Therapy, Parma University Medical School, Parma, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:565-71. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the subjective anorectal function in patients with left hemicolectomy and to clarify the clinical factors influencing postoperative anorectal function problems...
- Laparoscopic segmental colorectal resection for endometriosis: limits and complicationsE Darai
Service de Gynecologie, obstétrique et médecine de la reproduction, Hopital Tenon, 4 rue de la Chine, 75020, Paris, France
Surg Endosc 21:1572-7. 2007..Deep pelvic endometriosis with colorectal involvement is a complex disorder often requiring segmental bowel resection. This study investigated the limits and complications of laparoscopic segmental colorectal resection...
- Anterior colorectal duplication presenting as rectal prolapseAmador Ramirez-Resendiz
Department of General Surgery, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City, Mexico
Pediatr Surg Int 23:919-21. 2007..The duplication was successfully opened and connected to the normal rectum without complications. Although infrequent, a rectal duplication should be considered in the differential diagnosis of RP...
- Laparoscopically assisted colectomy: a study of risk factors and predictors of open conversionP Y Tan
Colorectal Unit, Division of Surgery, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 28 Woodville Road, Woodville South, SA, 5011, Australia
Surg Endosc 22:1708-14. 2008..This study aimed to audit the authors' experience with laparoscopically assisted colectomy and to assess the clinical outcomes of patients undergoing conversion...
- Benefits of laparoscopic colorectal resection are more pronounced in elderly patientsMatteo Frasson
Department of Surgery, San Raffaele University, Via Olgettina 60, 20132, Milan, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 51:296-300. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of laparoscopic colorectal resection on short-term postoperative outcome in elderly patients...
- The impact of obesity on outcome after major colorectal surgeryKelly A Gendall
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand
Dis Colon Rectum 50:2223-37. 2007..This review examines the data on the impact of obesity on perioperative morbidity and mortality specifically in the context of colorectal surgery...
- An unusual cause of rectal bleedingK P Basavaraju
Department of Gastroenterology, Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport, UK
Gut 55:1402, 1408. 2006
- Experience with 969 minimal access colectomies: the role of hand-assisted laparoscopy in expanding minimally invasive surgery for complex colectomiesRobert R Cima
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:946-50; discussion 950-2. 2008..Hand-assisted laparoscopy (HALS) permits placement of a hand into the abdomen to assist the dissection. Our aim was to analyze the impact of HALS on a minimal access colectomy (MAC) practice...
- Robotic colorectal surgery: first 50 cases experienceGiuseppe Spinoglio
Department of Surgery, SS Antonio e Biagio Hospital, Alessandria, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1627-32. 2008..Laparoscopic colorectal surgery is believed to be technically and oncologically feasible. However, some limitation of traditional laparoscopic surgery may cause difficulties. Robotic-assisted surgery may overcome these pitfalls...
- [Voiding dysfunction after surgical resection of deeply infiltrating endometriosis: pathophysiology and management]X Deffieux
Laboratoire d Urodynamique et d Explorations Neurophysiologiques du Périnée, Service de Reeducation Neurologique, Hopital Rothschild, AP HP, Paris, France
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 35:S8-13. 2007..An understanding of the location of the autonomic pelvic network should help prevent iatrogenic injury through the adoption of surgical techniques, such as nerve sparing, that reduce postoperative autonomic dysfunction...
- [Assessment of the urinary side effects after surgery for deep pelvic endometriosis]G Dubernard
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hopital Tenon AP HP, 4, rue de la Chine, 75020 Paris, et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, France
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 35:S1-7. 2007..To evaluate the urinary side effects after laparoscopic surgery for deep endometriosis...
- Fertility and pain outcomes following laparoscopic segmental bowel resection for colorectal endometriosis: a reviewHannah J Wills
Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48:292-5. 2008..This article aims to review the current literature to determine the pain and fertility outcomes following segmental bowel resection for colorectal endometriosis...
- Do elderly patients benefit from laparoscopic colorectal surgery?B Person
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Surg Endosc 22:401-5. 2008..The steadily increasing age of the population mandates that potential benefits of new techniques and technologies be considered for older patients...
- Laparoscopic disk resection for bowel endometriosis using a circular stapler and a new endoscopic method to control postoperative bleeding from the stapler lineStefano Landi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ospedale Sacro Cuore, Negrar Verona, Italy
J Am Coll Surg 207:205-9. 2008..Intestinal endometriosis affect between 3% and 36% of women with endometriosis and 50% of women with disease severe enough that intestinal surgery, with or without intestinal segmental resection, may be required...
- A new endoscopic over-the-scope clip system for treatment of lesions and bleeding in the GI tract: first clinical experiencesAndreas Kirschniak
Clinic for General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital of Tubingen, IHCI Institute, Steinbeis University Berlin, Ovesco Endoscopy GmbH, Tubingen, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 66:162-7. 2007..We report on 11 patients with gastric or colonic bleeding or lesions who were treated with a new endoscopic over-the-scope clip (OTSC) system...
- Systematic review of the costs of laparoscopic colorectal surgeryHenry M Dowson
Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Dis Colon Rectum 50:908-19. 2007..One reason for this is perceived economic implications. A systematic review was undertaken examining the costs of laparoscopic colorectal surgery...
- Laparoscopic approach to colorectal procedures in the obese patient: risk factor or benefit?Hubert Scheidbach
Department of Surgery, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger Str 44, 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
Obes Surg 18:66-70. 2008..The aim of the present study was to provide data to establish whether the laparoscopic approach to colorectal surgery in the obese patient represents a risk or, rather, a benefit for the patient...
- Rectal endoscopic ultrasound with a radial probe in the assessment of rectovaginal endometriosisMauricio Simoes Abrao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 11:50-4. 2004..To evaluate the accuracy of rectal endoscopic ultrasound and to evaluate endometriosis in the rectovaginal septum, rectum, and sigmoid walls...
- Hand-assisted laparoscopic colectomy vs open colectomy: a prospective randomized studyJ C Kang
Division of Colorectal Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2, Cheng Kong Road, Nei Hu Dis 114, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Surg Endosc 18:577-81. 2004....
- [Laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosis: preliminary results]O Marpeau
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, France
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 33:600-6. 2004..Therefore, the aims of this prospective study were to evaluate the feasibility, peri-operative complications and functional results of laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosis...
- Deeply infiltrating endometriosis originates from the retrocervical areaCharles Chapron
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 11:440; author reply 440-1. 2004
- Laparoscopic total colectomy: hand-assisted vs standard techniqueK Nakajima
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Surg Endosc 18:582-6. 2004..The objectives of the study were to compare the outcomes in patients undergoing total colectomy via either HALS or LAP and to determine what benefits HALS might have in extensive colorectal procedures...
- Does telerobotic assistance improve laparoscopic colorectal surgery?Guido Woeste
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:253-7. 2005..The use of telerobotic assistance may simplify complex laparoscopic procedures. We compared the traditional laparoscopic and the telerobotic-assisted approaches to colorectal surgery...
- Laparoscopic colorectal resection: a safe option for elderly patientsWai Lun Law
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Hong Kong, China
J Am Coll Surg 195:768-73. 2002..This study compares results of elderly patients (aged 70 and above) who underwent laparoscopic colorectal resection with those having open surgery...
- Outcome of laparoscopic colorectal resectionM Degiuli
Department of Oncology, Division of Surgery, San Giovanni Battista di Torino Hospital, Via Cavour 31, 10123 Turin, Italy
Surg Endosc 18:427-32. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the feasibility and safety of laparoscopic surgery for colorectal diseases...
- Safety and efficacy of the use of bioabsorbable seamguard in colorectal surgery at the Texas endosurgery instituteMorris E Franklin
Texas Endosurgery Institute, San Antonio, TX 78222, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 15:9-13. 2005..The use of BSG as a staple-line reinforcer appears to be safe and may be useful in preventing anastomotic leakage, bleeding, and intraluminal stenosis...
- Utility of an upper echoendoscope for endoscopic ultrasonography of malignant and benign conditions of the sigmoid/left colon and the rectumM S Bhutani
Program for Endoscopic Ultrasound, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:3318-22. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The forward-oblique-viewing upper echoendoscope is a versatile instrument that can be applied for EUS imaging of malignant and benign indications not only in the rectum but also in the sigmoid/left colon...
- Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research NetworkMark Litwin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The UCLA site will build upon its experience as a charter site in the first CPCRN to achieve the goals set out by the second. ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Dose-Volume Modeling of Late Rectal and Bladder ToxicitySusan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect the results of our analyses to play an important role in furthering the development of conformal techniques in RT of the prostate and other pelvic sites. ..
- Gastrointestinal Biopsychosocial Research CenterWilliam Whitehead; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed Center is university wide and includes investigators from psychology, psychiatry, surgery (gynecology division), neuroradiology, dentistry, and the school of public health. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel anti-HIV carrageenan-based on microbicidesDavid Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004..The applicant believes that the proposed research will result in the pre-clinical development of a safe, novel microbicide that is superior in efficacy against HIV. ..
- Immune Responses in Genital Chlamydia Prior to TherapyWILLIAM GEISLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Advancing the Treatment of Fecal & Urinary IncontinenceWilliam Whitehead; Fiscal Year: 2003..The conference is scheduled to take place November 3-5, 2002, in Milwaukee, and half of the invitees have accepted invitations to speak. ..
- Uropathogen Detection Using DNA BiosensorsBernard Churchill; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 4 will involve batch fabrication of the device and clinical examination of the association between urosensor results and clinical correlates of urinary tract infection...
- A community-level RCT of expedited partner treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydiaMatthew R Golden; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..