Genomes and Genes
Summary: A form of intestinal obstruction caused by the PROLAPSE of a part of the intestine into the adjoining intestinal lumen. There are four types: colic, involving segments of the LARGE INTESTINE; enteric, involving only the SMALL INTESTINE; ileocecal, in which the ILEOCECAL VALVE prolapses into the CECUM, drawing the ILEUM along with it; and ileocolic, in which the ileum prolapses through the ileocecal valve into the COLON.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- Evaluation of anatomic changes in young children with natural rotavirus infection: is intussusception biologically plausible?Christine G Robinson
Pediatric Clinical Research Office, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Infect Dis 189:1382-7. 2004Several studies have shown an association between vaccination with the rotavirus vaccine and the development of intussusception. We evaluated the plausibility of a causal association between natural rotavirus infection and intussusception.
- Intussusception risk and health benefits of rotavirus vaccination in Mexico and BrazilManish M Patel
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS A 47, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 364:2283-92. 2011Because postlicensure surveillance determined that a previous rotavirus vaccine, RotaShield, caused intussusception in 1 of every 10,000 recipients, we assessed the association of the new monovalent rotavirus vaccine (RV1) with ..
- Intussusception following rotavirus vaccine administration: post-marketing surveillance in the National Immunization Program in AustraliaJ P Buttery
SAEFVIC in Child and Adolescent Immunisation, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Vaccine 29:3061-6. 2011In Australia, post-marketing surveillance for intussusception following vaccination commenced with funding of RotaTeq(®) and Rotarix(®) vaccines under the National Immunization Program (NIP) in July 2007.
- Research priorities regarding rotavirus vaccine and intussusception: a meeting summaryJacqueline E Tate
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 30:A179-84. 2012Currently available rotavirus vaccines have been associated with a small increased risk of intussusception (~1-2 cases per 100,000 vaccinated infants) in some populations...
- Two year review of intestinal intussusception in six large public hospitals of Santiago, ChileMiguel O'Ryan
Microbiology Program, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Independencia 1027, Santiago, Chile
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:717-21. 2003A need for updated information on different aspects of idiopathic intussusception resurged after the Rotashield experience...
- Incidence of rotavirus diarrhea and intussusception in Hong Kong using standardized hospital discharge dataE A S Nelson
Department of Paediatrics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:701-3. 2002Incidence for rotavirus and intussusception was estimated from standardized discharge data for all Hong Kong government hospitals (1997 to 1999). Intussusception incidence in infants (78 to 100 of 100,000) was relatively high...
- Ileocolic intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis: case report and review of literatureRivkine Emmanuel
Department of Digestive and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital Jean Verdier, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Avenue du 14 Juillet, 93140 Bondy, Paris, France
Diagn Pathol 7:62. 2012Cecal endometriosis and ileocolic intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis is extremely rare. We report a case of a woman who presented an ileocecal intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis...
- Postmarketing surveillance of intussusception following mass introduction of the attenuated human rotavirus vaccine in MexicoF Raul Velazquez
Medical Research Unit on Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics Hospital, National Medical Center Century XXI, Mexican Institute of Social Security IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:736-44. 2012Mexico initiated mass vaccination with the attenuated human rotavirus vaccine (Rotarix) in 2006. This postlicensure study aimed to assess any potential temporal association between vaccination and intussusception in Mexican infants.
- Intussusception of the bowel in adults: a reviewAthanasios Marinis
Second Department of Surgery, Areteion University Hospital, Athens Medical School, University of Athens, 76 Vassilisis Sofia s Ave, 11528, Athens, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 15:407-11. 2009b>Intussusception of the bowel is defined as the telescoping of a proximal segment of the gastrointestinal tract within the lumen of the adjacent segment...
- Sociodemographic and dietary risk factors for natural infant intussusception in the United StatesBrian Johnson
National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:458-63. 2010In 1999, a US case-control study demonstrated a strong association between intussusception and a rotavirus vaccine (Rotashield)...
- Intussusception among Japanese children: an epidemiologic study using an administrative databaseMasato Takeuchi
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Pediatr 12:36. 2012The epidemiology of intussusception, including its incidence, can vary between different countries...
- Intussusception: incidence and treatment-insights from the nationwide German surveillanceAndreas Christoph Jenke
Children s Hospital, HELIOS Klinikum Wuppertal, Witten Herdecke University, Herdecke, Germany
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 52:446-51. 2011b>Intussusception (IS) is one of the most common paediatric emergencies, and the best mode of conservative reduction and its exact incidence remains unclear...
- Incidence of intussusception among children 0-5 years of age in Thailand, 2001-2006Chowalit Khumjui
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Bureau of Epidemiology, Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health, Bangkok, Thailand
Vaccine 27:F116-9. 2009To provide baseline incidence data of intussusception among Thai children under 5 years old, outpatient and inpatient records from 2001 to 2006 from five hospitals were reviewed...
- Rotavirus infection and intussusception in Tunisian children: implications for use of attenuated rotavirus vaccinesAnissa Chouikha
Research Unit of Virology, UR06 SP20 Laboratory of Microbiology, University Hospital Sahloul, Sousse 4054, Tunisia
J Pediatr Surg 44:2133-8. 2009A licensed rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn from use because of an increased risk of intussusception. The association of rotavirus vaccination with intussusception raised concerns about a potential link between natural rotavirus disease ..
- Predictive factors of malignancy in adults with intussusceptionBrian K P Goh
Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore, 169608
World J Surg 30:1300-4. 2006Adult intussusception is an unusual entity, and its etiology differs from that in pediatric patients...
- Risk of intussusception following administration of a pentavalent rotavirus vaccine in US infantsIrene M Shui
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 307:598-604. 2012Current rotavirus vaccines were not associated with intussusception in large prelicensure trials...
- Rotavirus disease and its preventionMarc Alain Widdowson
Viral Gastroenteritis Section, Respiratory and Enteric Viruses Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 21:26-31. 2005..Less than 1 year later, however, the vaccine was withdrawn when reports of cases of intussusception were linked to recent vaccination...
- Acute intussusception in infants and children as an adverse event following immunization: case definition and guidelines of data collection, analysis, and presentationJulie E Bines
Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Vaccine 22:569-74. 2004
- Trends in intussusception-associated hospitalizations and deaths among US infantsU D Parashar
Viral Gastroenteritis Section, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pediatrics 106:1413-21. 2000The newly licensed tetravalent rhesus-human reassortant rotavirus vaccine has been withdrawn following reports of intussusception among vaccinated infants.
- Intussusception and rotavirus associated hospitalisation in New ZealandY E Chen
Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Arch Dis Child 90:1077-81. 2005To describe the epidemiology of intussusception and its relation to rotavirus associated hospitalisation in New Zealand.
- Tumor spectrum of adult intussusceptionJy Ming Chiang
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5, Fu Hsing St, Kuei Shan, Tao Yuan corrected Taiwan corrected
J Surg Oncol 98:444-7. 2008Adult intussusception is rare. Most general and colorectal surgeons are unfamiliar with its etiology and optimal management.
- Epidemiology of childhood intussusception and determinants of recurrence and operation: analysis of national health insurance data between 1998 and 2007 in TaiwanSolomon Chih Cheng Chen
Department of Pediatrics, Pingtung Christian Hospital, Pingtung, Taiwan
Pediatr neonatol 51:285-91. 2010To study the epidemiology of childhood intussusception and risk factors of recurrence and operation based on a nationwide data.
- Safety and efficacy of a pentavalent human-bovine (WC3) reassortant rotavirus vaccineTimo Vesikari
University of Tampere Medical School, Tampere, Finland
N Engl J Med 354:23-33. 2006..Rotavirus is a leading cause of childhood gastroenteritis and death worldwide...
- Changing epidemiology of intussusception in AustraliaFrances Justice
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 41:475-8. 2005..In light of evidence for an association between a rotavirus vaccine and intussusception, it is important to define the baseline epidemiology of intussusception in Australia and establish a system ..
- Adult intussusception: a retrospective reviewAhmad Zubaidi
Department of Surgery, Saint Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1546-51. 2006Whereas intussusception is relatively common in children, it is clinically rare in adults. The condition is usually secondary to a definable lesion...
- Air enema for intussusception: is predicting the outcome important?P Ramachandran
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kanchi Kamakoti Child s Trust Hospital, 12 A, Nageswara Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600034, India
Pediatr Surg Int 24:311-3. 2008..We retrospectively reviewed the records of 179 children who underwent air enema for intussusception at our institution over a 5-year period...
- Natural rotavirus infection is not associated to intussusception in Mexican childrenF Raul Velazquez
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Enfermedades Infecciosas y Parasitarias, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico City, Mexico
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:S173-8. 2004To determine whether natural rotavirus infection or infection by another enteropathogen is associated to intussusception (IS); and to describe the seasonality of IS compared with severe diarrhea (SD) and rotavirus SD in Mexican children.
- Four-country surveillance of intestinal intussusception and diarrhoea in childrenShally Awasthi
Department of Paediatrics, King George Medical University, Lucknow, India
J Paediatr Child Health 45:82-6. 2009Establishment of baseline epidemiology of intussusception in developing countries has become a necessity with the possibility of reintroduction of rotavirus vaccine...
- Intussusception in Taiwanese children: analysis of incidence, length of hospitalization and hospital costs in different age groupsWan Ling Ho
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 104:398-401. 2005This study investigated the characteristics of intussusception in Taiwanese children of different age groups, including the incidence, length of hospitalization and hospital costs.
- Does the length of the history influence the outcome of pneumatic reduction of intussusception in children?Farhan Tareen
Children s University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
Pediatr Surg Int 27:587-9. 2011b>Intussusception is the most common cause of acute abdomen in infants and preschool children. Nonoperative reduction using air enema is an established treatment in children with intussusception...
- Intussusception in children in Southern Israel: disparity between 2 populationsDavid Greenberg
The Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, The Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:236-40. 2008b>Intussusception has been associated with 1 rotavirus vaccine. Our objective was to determine intussusception rates in children in southern Israel during a 15-year period before the introduction of new rotavirus vaccines.
- Intussusception risk after rotavirus vaccination in U.S. infantsW Katherine Yih
From the Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute W K Y, T A L, M K, R P, G M L, and the Division of Infectious Diseases and Department of Laboratory Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital G M L all in Boston the Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland T A L the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD D M, M N Aetna, Blue Bell, PA C N M W Government and Academic Research, HealthCore, Alexandria, VA N S and Comprehensive Health Insights, Humana, Louisville, KY M S
N Engl J Med 370:503-12. 2014International postlicensure studies have identified an increased risk of intussusception after vaccination with the second-generation rotavirus vaccines RotaTeq (RV5, a pentavalent vaccine) and Rotarix (RV1, a monovalent vaccine)...
- Trends in intussusception hospitalizations among US infants, 1993-2004: implications for monitoring the safety of the new rotavirus vaccination programJacqueline E Tate
Division of Viral Diseases, Epidemiology Branch, National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pediatrics 121:e1125-32. 2008..Because a previous rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn in 1999 after it was associated with intussusception, monitoring for this adverse event with the new vaccine is important...
- Population-based incidence and burden of childhood intussusception in Jeonbuk Province, South KoreaDae S Jo
Department of Pediatrics, Chonbuk National University Hospital, Jeonju, South Korea
Int J Infect Dis 13:e383-8. 2009The aim of this study was to describe the clinical characteristics of childhood intussusception and to estimate the incidence rate of intussusception before the introduction of rotavirus vaccines in Korea.
- Ileocecal Burkitt's lymphoma presenting as ileocolic intussusception with appendiceal invagination and acute appendicitisSheng Mine Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 109:476-9. 2010b>Intussusception is a common cause of abdominal pain in children. Although most cases are idiopathic, about 10% of cases have a pathologic lead point. Burkitt's lymphoma is not a common etiology...
- Intussusception in children seen at Muhimbili National Hospital, Dar es SalaamP M R Carneiro
Department of Surgery, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
East Afr Med J 81:439-42. 2004To review infants and children with intussusception and assess its magnitude of concern and any seasonal variation in our environment.
- Childhood intussusception at the Moi teaching and Referral Hospital Eldoret: management challenges in a rural settingR T Kuremu
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya
East Afr Med J 81:443-6. 2004To review the management of childhood intussusception at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Eldoret and identify factors that require attention for improved outcome.
- Intussusception in early childhood: a cohort study of 1.7 million childrenThea Kølsen Fischer
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS A34, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatrics 114:782-5. 2004..To describe incidence and temporal trends of intussusceptions in Danish children during 1980 to 2001...
- Transanal protrusion of intussusception in infants is associated with high morbidity and mortalityE A Ameh
Division of Paediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
Ann Trop Paediatr 28:287-92. 2008Although anal protrusion of intussusception in infants is well recognised, it is rarely reported and confusion with rectal prolapse often results in delayed diagnosis and treatment...
- The epidemiology of paediatric intussusception in Singapore: 1997 to 2004Irving Charles Boudville
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 35:674-9. 2006..RRV-TV, was registered in the US in 1998, but withdrawn within a year because of an observed association with intussusception (IS)...
- Intussusception in Kano: a 5-year analysis of pattern, morbidity and mortalityS T Edino
Department of Surgery, Bayero University Kano, Nigeria
Niger J Med 12:221-4. 2003b>Intussusception is a common surgical problem in childhood. This study was undertaken to determine the clinico-pathologic pattern of the disease in Kano.
- Adult intussusception in the last 25 years of modern imaging: is surgery still indicated?Edwin Onserio Onkendi
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 15:1699-705. 2011..With current availability of computed tomography, we questioned the role of mandatory operative exploration for all adult intussusceptions...
- Intussusception: trends in clinical presentation and managementFrances A Justice
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, Royal Children s Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:842-6. 2006The association of a rotavirus vaccine and intussusception has renewed interest in understanding the incidence, clinical presentation and outcome of intussusception.
- Incidence of intussusception in early infancy: a capture-recapture estimate for GermanyS Weis
Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Institute for Social Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Germany
Klin Padiatr 223:419-23. 2011Rotavirus (RV) vaccination with the first generation vaccine (Rotashield) has been associated with intussusception (IS)...
- Effect of rotavirus vaccination programme on trends in admission of infants to hospital for intussusceptionL Simonsen
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lancet 358:1224-9. 2001Studies have reported a temporal association between a first dose of rotavirus vaccine (Rotashield) and infant intussusception. We investigated the effect of Rotashield vaccination use on intussusception admissions in ten US states.
- Simultaneous presence of human herpesvirus 6 and adenovirus infections in intestinal intussusception of young childrenSuvi Lappalainen
Vaccine Research Center, University of Tampere Medical School, Tampere, Finland
Acta Paediatr 101:663-70. 2012This prospective study investigated the role of viral infections in the pathogenesis of intussusception, including human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), a known lymphotropic virus.
- Rectal prolapse, rectal intussusception, rectocele, and solitary rectal ulcer syndromeR J Felt-Bersma
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt, The Netherlands
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 30:199-222. 2001..A laparoscopic rectopexy should be recommended. Intussusception is more an epiphenomenon than a cause of defecatory disorder and should be managed conservatively...
- Prevalence of severe acute rotavirus gastroenteritis and intussusceptions in Ghanaian children under 5 years of ageChristabel C Enweronu-Laryea
Department of Child Health, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
J Infect Dev Ctries 6:148-55. 2012..Pre-vaccine surveillance for burden of rotavirus disease, prevalent rotavirus genotypes, and association between rotavirus disease and intussusceptions helps in monitoring the impact of vaccination...
- Lack of association between rotavirus infection and intussusception: implications for use of attenuated rotavirus vaccinesEmily J Chang
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:97-102. 2002Withdrawal of the tetravalent rhesus-human rotavirus vaccine Rotashield because of its association with intussusception raised concerns about a potential link between natural rotavirus disease and intussusception...
- Rectal hyposensitivity is uncommon and unlikely to be the central cause of obstructed defecation in patients with high-grade internal rectal prolapseN A Wijffels
Oxford Pelvic Floor Centre, Surgery and Diagnostics, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:151-4, e30. 2011..This study aimed to evaluate rectal sensory function in patients with obstructed defecation and high-grade internal rectal prolapse...
- Presenting clinical features and outcome in intussusceptionSule Yalcin
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Indian J Pediatr 76:401-5. 2009To evaluate if a correlation exists between the clinical and radiologic characteristics at presentation; and the success of conservative management, morbidity and outcome of patients with intussusception.
- Underestimates of intussusception rates among US infants based on inpatient discharge data: implications for monitoring the safety of rotavirus vaccinesMargaret M Cortese
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 200:S264-70. 2009Because a previous rotavirus vaccine was associated with intussusception, new rotavirus vaccines are monitored postlicensure for any such association...
- Intussusception-associated hospitalization among Venezuelan infants during 1998 through 2001: anticipating rotavirus vaccinesIrene Perez-Schael
Instituto de Biomedicina Fuvesin, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Ministerio de Salud y Desarrollo Social, Carcas, Venezuela
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:234-9. 2003The first licensed rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn from use in the United States because of a low risk of intussusception. Consequently tests of new rotavirus vaccines will require some baseline knowledge of the rates and treatment of ..
- Workshop on intussusception in African countries--meeting reportA Duncan Steele
PATH, Seattle, WA, USA
Vaccine 30:A185-9. 2012..Because a previous rotavirus vaccine, Rotashield(®), was associated with intussusception, a form of intestinal obstruction among infants, the current rotavirus vaccines were tested in large clinical ..
- Jejunojejunal intussusception secondary to a jejunal lipoma in an adultTsung Hsien Chiang
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:924-6. 2006
- Adult intussusception: a retrospective review of 41 casesNing Wang
General Surgery Department, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University Shenyang 110001, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:3303-8. 2009To optimize the preoperative diagnosis and surgical management of adult intussusception (AI).
- Intussusception associated with bacterial meningitisE Crushell
Department of Paediatrics, Sligo General Hospital, Ireland
Arch Dis Child 85:56-7. 2001Despite its common association with viral illnesses, intussusception has only rarely been found in the presence of bacterial infections...
- Paediatric intussusception in Calabar, NigeriaA E Archibong
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
East Afr Med J 78:19-21. 2001..To determine prevalence, clinical presentation, evaluate management methods and outcome of paediatric intussusception in Calabar. DESIGN: A retrospective study. SETTING: University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Nigeria...
- [Invagination caused by angiolipoma of the small intestine--a rare cause of occult gastrointestinal hemorrhage]M Manner
Chirurgische Abteilung, Kreiskrankenhaus Calw
Chirurg 72:305-7. 2001..Ultrasonographic abdominal screening revealed ileo-ileal intussusception with a central hyperechoic tumor suggestive of a lipoma as lead point...
- Clinical implications and surgical management of intussusception in pediatric patients with Burkitt lymphomaHimesh Gupta
Department of Surgery, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:998-1001; discussion 1001. 2007b>Intussusception as a presenting feature of Burkitt lymphoma may be associated with early stage disease, which is curable with less intensive therapy...
- Intussusception-associated hospitalisations in southern GermanyLyn J Kohl
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Department of Immunology and Infectiology, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 169:1487-93. 2010The primary objective of this epidemiological surveillance study was to estimate the incidence of intussusception (IS) associated with hospitalisation in children <1, <2 and <17 years of age in Germany...
- Association of viral isolates from stool samples with intussusception in childrenSatoshi Okimoto
Department of Pediatrics, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Science, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Int J Infect Dis 15:e641-5. 2011b>Intussusception is the most common cause of intestinal obstruction in young children. The pathogenesis of intussusception is still not well understood...
- Childhood intussusception in Uzbekistan: analysis of retrospective surveillance dataRenat Latipov
Reference Laboratory, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
BMC Pediatr 11:22. 2011Estimates of baseline incidence of childhood intussusception could help safety monitoring after the introduction of rotavirus vaccines. We studied the incidence of intussusception in Uzbekistan, a GAVI-fund eligible state in Central Asia.
- Age dependence of the relation between reassortant rotavirus vaccine (RotaShield) and intussusceptionKenneth J Rothman
J Infect Dis 193:898; author reply 898-9. 2006
- Retrograde (reverse) jejunal intussusception might not be such a rare problem: a single group's experience of 23 casesSteven C Simper
Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians, Salt Lake City, Utah 84124, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 4:77-83. 2008Retrograde (reverse) intussusception of the jejunum is thought to be a very rare occurrence, having been reported approximately 15 times (21 patients) in medical studies...
- A special type of postoperative intussusception: ileoileal intussusception after surgical reduction of ileocolic intussusception in infants and childrenYu Zuo Bai
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, PR China
J Pediatr Surg 44:755-8. 2009Postoperative ileoileal intussusception after surgical reduction of ileocolic intussusception in infants and children is extremely rare, and no reports of this special type of postoperative small bowel intussusception have been found in ..
- Trends in intussusception hospitalizations among US infants before and after implementation of the rotavirus vaccination program, 2000-2009Catherine Yen
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Scientific Education and Professional Development Program Office, University of Cape Town, Cape Town
J Infect Dis 206:41-8. 2012Although US data have not documented an intussusception risk with current rotavirus vaccines, international data indicate a possible low risk, primarily after the first dose.
- Postlicensure monitoring of intussusception after RotaTeq vaccination in the United States, February 1, 2006, to September 25, 2007Penina Haber
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS A 47, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatrics 121:1206-12. 2008..Marietta, PA) was withdrawn from the US market after postlicensure monitoring identified an association with intussusception. Although the new rotavirus vaccine (RotaTeq; Merck, West Point, PA) introduced in 2006 was not associated ..
- Prospective surveillance study of the management of intussusception in UK and Irish infantsL Samad
UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Br J Surg 99:411-5. 2012b>Intussusception is the most common cause of acute intestinal obstruction in infants. This study examined the clinical presentation, management and outcomes of intussusception in this age group.
- Adult intussusception in Asians: clinical presentations, diagnosis, and treatmentChun Chao Chang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital and Digestive Disease Research Center, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1767-71. 2007Adult intussusception is a rare clinical entity. The presentations and optimal management of adult intussusception in Asians have seldom been reported...
- Inverted Meckel's diverticulum as a leading point for ileoileal intussusception in an adult: case reportM Dujardin
Department of Radiology, AZ VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Jette, Belgium
Abdom Imaging 27:563-5. 2002b>Intussusception due to an inverted Meckel's diverticulum is considered a rare occurrence. We present a case of a 37-year-old male with anemia and melena due to an inverted Meckel's diverticulum at the base of an ileoileal intussusception...
- Adult intussusception: case reports and review of literatureS Yalamarthi
Department of General Surgery, Falkirk District and Royal Infirmary, Falkirk, Scotland
Postgrad Med J 81:174-7. 2005Adult intussusception occurs infrequently and differs from childhood intussusception in its presentation, aetiology, and treatment...
- Clinical case definition for the diagnosis of acute intussusceptionJulie E Bines
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, Royal Children s Hospital, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 39:511-8. 2004Because of the reported association between intussusception and a rotavirus vaccine, future clinical trials of rotavirus vaccines will need to include intussusception surveillance in the evaluation of vaccine safety...
- Preoperative CT diagnosis of appendiceal intussusceptionJonah Luzier
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:W325-6. 2006
- Three-year surveillance of intussusception in children in SwitzerlandMichael Buettcher
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital Basel, PO Box 4005, Basel, Switzerland
Pediatrics 120:473-80. 2007We attempted to obtain baseline data on the incidence of intussusception and its association with gastroenteritis in a cross-sectional observational study in children.
- Intussusception in adults: a 21-year experience in the university-affiliated emergency center and indication for nonoperative reductionHiroaki Omori
Department of Surgery I, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Dig Surg 20:433-9. 2003While intussusception is relatively common in children, it is rare in adults.
- Adult intussusception due to lymphangioma of the colonYoshirou Matsuba
Department of Surgery, Higashiomiya General Hospital, 5 18 Higashiomiya, Saitama 330 0021, Japan
J Gastroenterol 38:181-5. 2003We present herein a case report of adult intussusception due to lymphangioma of the colon. On May 27, 2000, a 39-year-old woman with right lower abdominal pain was admitted to our hospital...
- Real-time surveillance to assess risk of intussusception and other adverse events after pentavalent, bovine-derived rotavirus vaccineEdward A Belongia
Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Epidemiology Research Center ML2, 1000 North Oak Ave, Marshfield, WI 54449, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:1-5. 2010..A previously licensed rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn due to elevated risk of intussusception. We prospectively evaluated the risk of intussusception and other pre-specified adverse events among RotaTeq ..
- Intussusception in children: 11-year experience in VladivostokA N Shapkina
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Vladivostok State Medical University, Vladivostok, Russia
Pediatr Surg Int 22:901-4. 2006Idiopathic intussusception is an important abdominal emergency in infancy and childhood. The nonoperative management by air enema has always been the standard of care in Russia...
- Intussusception among infants given an oral rotavirus vaccineT V Murphy
Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 344:564-72. 2001b>Intussusception is a form of intestinal obstruction in which a segment of the bowel prolapses into a more distal segment...
- Assessment of postlicensure safety of rotavirus vaccines, with emphasis on intussusceptionJulie E Bines
Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Infect Dis 200:S282-90. 2009..However, given that intussusception is an extremely rare event, some risk could be detected as the vaccine is administered to a larger number of ..
- Intussusception and rotavirus vaccines: what is the background risk?Xavier Saez-Llorens
Pediatrics, University of Panama, Panama City, Panama
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:363-5. 2004The first rotavirus vaccine was associated with a small, albeit statistically significant, risk of intussusception in immunized infants...
- Population-based incidence of intussusception and a case-control study to examine the association of intussusception with natural rotavirus infection among indian childrenRajiv Bahl
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Infect Dis 200:S277-81. 2009A rotavirus vaccine previously licensed in the United States was withdrawn because it caused intussusception. Data on background intussusception rates in developing countries are required to plan pre- and postlicensure safety studies for ..
- Intussusception and rotavirus vaccination: a review of the available evidenceManish M Patel
Viral Gastroenteritis Section, MS A47, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 8:1555-64. 2009..Owing to the association of the withdrawn Rotashield vaccine with intussusception, these two new rotavirus vaccines underwent large clinical trials of over 60,000 infants each to assess ..
- Nonleukemic granulocytic sarcoma presenting as intussusception of small bowelSu Youn Lee
Department of Surgery, Kyung Hee University College of Medicine, 1 Hoegi dong, Dongdaemun Gu, Seoul 130 702, Korea
Int J Clin Oncol 13:467-70. 2008..Recently, we discovered one case of nonleukemic GS in the small intestine incidentally when intussusception was suspected...
- Intussusception in adults: clinical characteristics, diagnosis and operative strategiesSavas Yakan
Department of Surgery, Izmir Education and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 15:1985-9. 2009To evaluate 20 adults with intussusception and to clarify the cause, clinical features, diagnosis, and management of this uncommon entity.
- Surgical management of adult sigmoid colon intussusception caused by a malignant tumor: report of a caseKeiji Matsuda
Deparment of Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 0003, Japan
Surg Today 33:768-71. 2003..was divided 5 cm from the peritoneal reflection, and the sigmoid colon was divided 10 cm proximally from the intussusception. The proximal end of the sigmoid colon was brought out as a colostomy...
- The promise of new rotavirus vaccinesRoger I Glass
N Engl J Med 354:75-7. 2006
- Factors associated with bowel resection among infants with intussusception in the United StatesBrian Johnson
Department of Emergency Medicine, Highland General Hospital, Oakland, CA, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 28:529-32. 2012b>Intussusception is the most common cause of infant bowel obstruction. Because delays in diagnosis can lead to severe outcomes, differentiating milder cases from those with potentially serious outcomes is important.
- Colonic lipoma with florid vascular proliferation and nodule-aggregating appearance related to repeated intussusceptionShiro Adachi
Department of Pathology, The City Hospital of Ikeda, Ikeda, Japan
Pathol Int 55:160-4. 2005..and epithelial regeneration suggested a reparative process, with ischemic damage due to the effects of intussusception being the most likely event...
- Intestinal schistosomiasis manifesting as colonic intussusception arising from a mucocele of the appendix: report of a caseMark T C Wong
Department of General Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore, Singapore
Surg Today 38:664-7. 2008We report a case of intestinal schistosomiasis manifesting as colonic intussusception resulting from a mucocele of the appendix, caused by the obstruction of appendiceal outflow by schistosome egg-induced fibrosis...
- Bacterial enteritis as a risk factor for childhood intussusception: a retrospective cohort studyCade M Nylund
Air Force Institute of Technology Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Pediatr 156:761-5. 2010To assess the relationship between bacterial enteritis and intussusception.
- Symptomatic intestinal lipomas requiring surgical interventions secondary to ileal intussusception and colonic obstruction: report of two casesKoray Atila
Department of General Surgery, Medicine Faculty of Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:227-31. 2007..and may occasionally protrude into the lumen, thus causing abdominal pain resulting from obstruction or intussusception or they may become evident through haemorrhage...
- Colocolonic intussusception secondary to an intraluminal lipomaHala Fatima
Department of Internal Medicine Gastroenterology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:e38. 2007
- Rectal intussusception in symptomatic patients is different from that in asymptomatic volunteersL S Dvorkin
Gastrointestinal Physiology Unit, Centre for Academic Surgery, Royal London Hospital, UK
Br J Surg 92:866-72. 2005Rectal intussusception is a common finding at evacuation proctography in both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals...
- Emergency helical CT scan in acute abdomen: a case of intestinal intussusceptionJohn Bramis
1st Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, Laikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 12:155-8. 2006Surgeons are familiar to the nosological entity "partial intestinal obstruction". Intussusception constitutes a rare etiologic factor for this entity but usually remains undiagnosed preoperatively...
- Intussusception and colonic ischemia in portal hypertension: a case reportTimothy P Plackett
Department of Surgery, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI, USA
Hawaii Med J 69:39-41. 2010Intestinal intussusception is a relatively uncommon occurrence in adults in comparison to pediatric patients...
- Adult intussusception: a 12-year experience, with emphasis on etiology and analysis of risk factorsW S Huang
Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. R.O.C
Chang Gung Med J 23:284-90. 2000BACKGROUND: To determine the incidence, causes, and associated risk factors of adult intussusception. METHODS: Forty-five cases of adult intussusception proven by surgery were collected from 58,000 surgeries performed from December 1986 ..
- Small intestinal intussusception secondary to a submucosal lipomaYulia Gray
Department of Pathology, Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, 111 Brewster Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:231-2. 2002
- Predictors of failed enema reduction in childhood intussusceptionFrankie B Fike
The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 47:925-7. 2012Initial management of intussusception is enema reduction. Data are scarce on predicting which patients are unlikely to have a successful reduction. Therefore, we reviewed our experience to identify factors predictive of enema failure.
- Can hyperglycaemia cause jejuno-jejunal intussusception?T Lahousen
Diabet Med 20:335-6; author reply 336. 2003
- INDO-US Collaboration to Develop Rotavirus VaccinesPratima Ray; Fiscal Year: 2005..However, it was subsequently withdrawn from the US market because of an increased incidence of intussusception among vaccine recipients...
- Enhanced Surveillance for New Vaccine Preventable DiseasesMary A Staat; Fiscal Year: 2010..in children hospitalized or cared for as outpatients or in the ED and assessing the background rate of intussusception. In addition, we propose conducting a series of complementary studies in collaborating pediatric practice ..
- Development of an Intranasal Rotavirus Subunit VaccineALEXANDER ANDRIANOV; Fiscal Year: 2002..approved rotavirus vaccine, a live vaccine, was withdrawn from the market in 1999 because of association with intussusception. The safety concerns associated with live vaccines currently in development can be remedied by the ..
- Evaluation of rotavirus vaccines in a primate modelANTHONY CHOI; Fiscal Year: 2003..The only FDA-approved rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn in 1999 because of its association with intussusception. The subunit rotavirus vaccines that we are developing have been evaluated in a mouse model that measures ..
- NON-FLUOROSCOPY TREATMENT OF INTUSSUSCEPTIONWeimin Shi; Fiscal Year: 1990..the proposed work is to demonstrate and improve a safe air enema technique for non fluoroscopy treatment of intussusception in children and to develop a novel single-chip microprocessor-based instrument for real-time on-site ..
- Needle-Free Delivery of Subunit Rotavirus VaccinesANTHONY CHOI; Fiscal Year: 2003..only FDA-approved rotavirus vaccine was withdrawn in 1999 because of its association with bowel obstruction (intussusception)...
- Pathogenesis of Intestinal Intussusception and the Role of Rotavirus InfectionMARGARET CONNER; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Intestinal intussusception is an invagination of one segment of the intestine into an adjacent segment...
- "Intravascular Flow Field Regulation of Intussusceptive Angiogenesis"Grace Lee; Fiscal Year: 2009Two distinct forms of angiogenesis have been documented: sprouting and intussusception. While mechanisms of sprouting angiogenesis have received considerable attention, especially in the context of tumor therapy, relatively little study ..
- ENHANCING MUCOSAL IMMUNE RESPONSES BY MICROENCAPSULATIONPaul Offit; Fiscal Year: 2005..The availability of microencapsulated virus provides a unique opportunity to understand the relationship between APC and protective mucosal immune responses. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- Calorie Restriction Effects on Chromosomal AberrationsCHARLEEN MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will be essential in identifying potential mechanisms by which CR acts in cancer prevention and delay of the aging process in long-lived species such as the rhesus monkey and humans. ..
- Liposomal Opioids Extend Analgesia in Laboratory AnimalsLisa Krugner Higby; Fiscal Year: 2008..If proven efficacious, these analgesic regimens would lead to a significant change in the post-surgical care of animals used in biomedical research and veterinary medicine. ..
- Adnesion Receptors of the Insect Immune SystemJAMES NARDI; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the molecular underpinnings of the insect immune response will clearly help in understanding the fate of pathogens in the blood of insect vectors of human diseases. ..
- Rapid Analysis of Influenza Vaccine EffectivenessEdward Belongia; Fiscal Year: 2007..Interim and annual estimates of VE with 95% confidence intervals will be provided to CDC, including overall VE and VE for each of the priority age groups. ..