Genomes and Genes
Summary: A condition caused by the lack of intestinal PERISTALSIS or INTESTINAL MOTILITY without any mechanical obstruction. This interference of the flow of INTESTINAL CONTENTS often leads to INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION. Ileus may be classified into postoperative, inflammatory, metabolic, neurogenic, and drug-induced.
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- Role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of septic ileus in miceB Y de Winter
Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerp Campus Drie Eiken, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Neurogastroenterol Motil 17:251-61. 2005We investigated the role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of septic ileus. Sepsis was induced by intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection of lipopolysaccharides (LPS, 20 mg kg(-1)) in mice. The effect of two i.p...
- Multiple apical plasma membrane constituents are associated with susceptibility to meconium ileus in individuals with cystic fibrosisLei Sun
Biostatistics Division, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Genet 44:562-9. 2012Variants associated with meconium ileus in cystic fibrosis were identified in 3,763 affected individuals by genome-wide association study (GWAS). Five SNPs at two loci near SLC6A14 at Xq23-24 (minimum P = 1...
- Central activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway reduces surgical inflammation in experimental post-operative ileusFo The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 163:1007-16. 2011..the vagus nerve reduces intestinal inflammation following mechanical handling, thereby shortening post-operative ileus in mice...
- Water-soluble CO-releasing molecules reduce the development of postoperative ileus via modulation of MAPK/HO-1 signalling and reduction of oxidative stressO De Backer
Heymans Institute of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Gut 58:347-56. 2009Treatment with carbon monoxide (CO) inhalation has been shown to ameliorate postoperative ileus (POI) in rodents and swine...
- Inhibition of macrophage function prevents intestinal inflammation and postoperative ileus in rodentsSven Wehner
Department of Surgery, University of Bonn, Bonn 53105, Germany
Gut 56:176-85. 2007..surgery results in a molecular and cellular inflammatory response in the intestine, leading to postoperative ileus. It was hypothesised that resident macrophages within the intestinal muscularis have an important role in this ..
- Neuroimmune mechanisms in postoperative ileusG E Boeckxstaens
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 58:1300-11. 2009Postoperative ileus (POI) is a common clinical condition arising after almost every abdominal surgical procedure, leading to increased patient morbidity and prolonged hospitalisation...
- Brief inhalation of low-dose carbon monoxide protects rodents and swine from postoperative ileusBeverley A Moore
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 33:1317-26. 2005..inhalation of low concentrations of CO (250 ppm) for 24 hrs protects against postoperative gastrointestinal ileus. The current study determined whether shorter exposures and lower concentrations were equally protective and ..
- Activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway ameliorates postoperative ileus in miceFrans O The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 133:1219-28. 2007..inflammation is reduced by electrical stimulation of the efferent vagus nerve, which prevents postoperative ileus in mice...
- Ghrelin: new insight to mechanisms and treatment of postoperative gastric ileusAndreas Stengel
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Curr Pharm Des 17:1587-93. 2011Postoperative gastric ileus develops after abdominal surgery and if prolonged leads to longer hospitalization times...
- Neuronal stimulation with 5-hydroxytryptamine 4 receptor induces anti-inflammatory actions via α7nACh receptors on muscularis macrophages associated with postoperative ileusYasuaki Tsuchida
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Gut 60:638-47. 2011The main symptom of postoperative ileus (POI) is an intestinal motility disorder in which monocytes/macrophages and neutrophils play crucial roles...
- Intestinal obstruction syndromes in cystic fibrosis: meconium ileus, distal intestinal obstruction syndrome, and constipationHubert P J van der Doef
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology KE 04 133 1, University Medical Center Utrecht, Postbox 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 13:265-70. 2011Meconium ileus at birth, distal intestinal obstruction syndrome (DIOS), and constipation are an interrelated group of intestinal obstruction syndromes with a variable severity of obstruction that occurs in cystic fibrosis patients...
- Clinical and genetic characteristics of meconium ileus in newborns with and without cystic fibrosisR R Gorter
Pediatric Surgical Center of Amsterdam, Emma Children s Hospital and VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 50:569-72. 2010The present study compares the clinical presentation and diagnostic features of meconium ileus (MI) in newborns with and without cystic fibrosis (CF)...
- Inflammatory responses in the muscle coat of stomach and small bowel in the postoperative ileus model of guinea pigHong Kyu Choi
Department of Internal Medicine, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 211 Eonju ro, Gangnam Gu, Seoul 135 720, Korea
Yonsei Med J 54:1336-41. 2013..function returns first after surgery, and then the function of the stomach returns to normal after postoperative ileus (POI)...
- Albendazole for the treatment of anisakiasis ileusEnrique Pacios
Clin Infect Dis 41:1825-6. 2005
- Intestinal handling-induced mast cell activation and inflammation in human postoperative ileusF O The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gut 57:33-40. 2008Murine postoperative ileus results from intestinal inflammation triggered by manipulation-induced mast cell activation...
- Inhibition of spleen tyrosine kinase as treatment of postoperative ileusSjoerd H W van Bree
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tytgat Institute of Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gut 62:1581-90. 2013..from manipulation-induced mast cell activation is a crucial mechanism in the pathophysiology of postoperative ileus (POI). Recently it has been shown that spleen tyrosine kinase (Syk) is involved in mast cell degranulation...
- Defining postoperative ileus: results of a systematic review and global surveyRyash Vather
Department of Surgery, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Gastrointest Surg 17:962-72. 2013There is a lack of an internationally accepted standardised clinical definition for postoperative ileus (POI)...
- New therapeutic strategies for postoperative ileusSjoerd H W van Bree
Tytgat Institute of Liver and Intestinal Research, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 69 71, 1105 BK Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:675-83. 2012..an abdominal surgical procedure develop a transient episode of impaired gastrointestinal motility or postoperative ileus. Importantly, postoperative ileus is a major determinant of recovery after intestinal surgery and leads to ..
- Neuroanatomical evidence demonstrating the existence of the vagal anti-inflammatory reflex in the intestineC Cailotto
Department of Gastroenterology, Tytgat Institute for Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Center AMC, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:191-200, e93. 2012..The aim of this study is to provide neuro-anatomical evidence to support the existence of a functional neuronal circuit and its activation in response to intestinal inflammation...
- Can intravenous lidocaine decrease postsurgical ileus and shorten hospital stay in elective bowel surgery? A pilot study and literature reviewKyle P Harvey
Department of Surgery, St Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital, Pontiac, MI, USA
Am J Surg 198:231-6. 2009This study examined whether systemic infusion of lidocaine, a local anesthetic with anti-inflammatory properties, can decrease surgical pain, length of postsurgical ileus, and hospital stay.
- Influence of thoracic epidural analgesia on postoperative pain relief and ileus after laparoscopic colorectal resection : Benefit with epidural analgesiaUrs Zingg
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Spitalstr 21, Basel, 4031, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 23:276-82. 2009Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) provides superior analgesia with a lower incidence of postoperative ileus when compared with systemic opiate analgesia in open colorectal surgery...
- Use of chewing gum in reducing postoperative ileus after elective colorectal resection: a systematic reviewMiranda K Y Chan
Department of Surgery, Caritas Medical Centre, 111, Wing Hong Street, Shum Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China
Dis Colon Rectum 50:2149-57. 2007Published studies comparing the addition of chewing gum to standardized postoperative care to shorten postoperative ileus showed controversial results...
- Current therapies to shorten postoperative ileusMichael D Johnson
Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 76:641-8. 2009Postoperative ileus delays hospital discharge, increases costs, and contributes to adverse outcomes. A variety of neural and chemical factors are involved...
- The pharmacological effects of Daikenchuto, a traditional herbal medicine, on delayed gastrointestinal transit in rat postoperative ileusYohei Tokita
Central Research Laboratory, Tsumura and Co, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 104:303-10. 2007The effect of Daikenchuto, a traditional herbal medicine, on gastrointestinal hypoperistalsis in postoperative ileus (POI) was investigated...
- Early removal of nasogastric tube after cystectomy with urinary diversion: does postoperative ileus risk increase?Hyoung Keun Park
Department of Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Urology 65:905-8. 2005To examine the risk factors of postoperative ileus and investigate whether the duration of postoperative nasogastric tube (NGT) use affects the rate of postoperative ileus in patients undergoing radical cystectomy with urinary diversion.
- Epidemiology of liver disease in cystic fibrosis: a longitudinal studyThierry Lamireau
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hospital Sainte Justine, 3175 chemin de la Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Canada H3T 1C5
J Hepatol 41:920-5. 2004..To describe the prevalence of liver disease in a cohort of 241 cystic fibrosis (CF) patients...
- Economic burden of postoperative ileus associated with colectomy in the United StatesShrividya Iyer
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, 500 Arcola Road, Collegeville, PA 19403, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 15:485-94. 2009Postoperative ileus, a transient impairment of gastrointestinal motility, is a common cause of delay in return to normal bowel function after abdominal surgery...
- Damage of the interstitial cells of Cajal and myenteric neurons causing ileus in acute necrotizing pancreatitis ratsHui Zhou
Laboratory of Stress Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Changhai Hospital, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Surgery 149:262-75. 2011..detect the impairment in small intestinal motility and to assess the role of interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC), myenteric neurons and the associated mechanism in the pathogenesis of ileus during experimentally induced acute pancreatitis.
- Postoperative ileus: it costs more than you expectTheodor Asgeirsson
Department of Surgery, Michigan State University, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:228-31. 2010The clinical impact of postoperative ileus (POI) after colectomy is difficult to quantify financially because of administrative coding limitations...
- Mast cell degranulation during abdominal surgery initiates postoperative ileus in miceWouter J de Jonge
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 127:535-45. 2004..of the intestinal muscularis following manipulation during surgery plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of postoperative ileus. Here, we evaluate the role of mast cell activation in the recruitment of infiltrates in a murine model.
- Mechanisms of polymicrobial sepsis-induced ileusMarcus Overhaus
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G685-94. 2004....
- Meconium obstruction in the very low birth weight premature infantSanjuanita Garza-Cox
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0526, USA
Pediatrics 114:285-90. 2004..Gastrografin enemas were safe, diagnostic, and therapeutic. Delay in diagnosis and treatment was associated with perforation and delay in institution of enteral feeds...
- Pharmacologic options to prevent postoperative ileusYu Chen Yeh
Center for Drug Policy, Partner s Healthcare, Needham, MA 02494, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:1474-85. 2009To summarize the evidence on pharmacologic options in preventing postoperative ileus (POI).
- The management of postoperative ileusBenjamin Person
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL, USA
Curr Probl Surg 43:6-65. 2006
- Clinical trial: alvimopan for the management of post-operative ileus after abdominal surgery: results of an international randomized, double-blind, multicentre, placebo-controlled clinical studyM W Buchler
Department of Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:312-25. 2008Post-operative ileus (POI) affects most patients undergoing abdominal surgery.
- Leukocyte-derived inducible nitric oxide synthase mediates murine postoperative ileusAndreas Türler
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Surg 244:220-9. 2006To provide evidence that iNOS expression solely in leukocytes plays a role in postoperative ileus.
- Preventing prolonged post-operative ileus in gastric cancer patients undergoing gastrectomy and intra-peritoneal chemotherapyDe Chuan Chan
Division of General Surgery, National Defense Medical Center, National Defense University, Taipei 114, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:4776-81. 2005To assess the efficacy of metoclopramide (Met) for prevention of prolonged post-operative ileus in advanced gastric cancer patients undergoing D2 gastrectomy and intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (IPC).
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction in mice with a targeted mutation in the gene encoding vasoactive intestinal polypeptide: a model for the study of intestinal ileus and Hirschsprung's diseaseV Lelievre
INSERM, U676, Paris, France
Peptides 28:1688-99. 2007..Physiologically, the VIP(-/-) mice showed an impairment in intestinal transit. Moreover, unlike WT C57BL/6 mice, a significant percentage of VIP(-/-) mice died in the first postnatal year with overt stenosis of the gut...
- Gallstone ileus presenting as gastric outlet obstruction (Bouveret's syndrome): a case reportA Sakarya
Celel Bayar University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of General Surgery, Manisa, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 106:438-40. 2006Gallstone ileus is an uncommon condition that may result when a gallbladder or commonduct stone enters into the intestinal tract, usually as a result of an internal fistula between the gallbladder and the duodenum...
- Role of interleukin 10 in murine postoperative ileusB Stoffels
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, S 849 Scaife Hall, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Gut 58:648-60. 2009Intestinal manipulation triggers an inflammatory cascade within the muscularis causing postoperative ileus (POI). The aim of this study was to investigate the recovery and therapeutic potential of interleukin 10 (IL10) for POI.
- Effect of spinal cord stimulation in a rodent model of post-operative ileusJ Maher
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73014, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:672-7, e33-4. 2009Post-operative ileus (POI) is a transient impairment of gastrointestinal (GI) transit that develops after abdominal surgery...
- Endogenous endotoxin participates in causing a panenteric inflammatory ileus after colonic surgeryAndreas Türler
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Ann Surg 245:734-44. 2007To investigate muscularis inflammation and endogenous endotoxin as causes of postoperative ileus.
- The ICAM-1 antisense oligonucleotide ISIS-3082 prevents the development of postoperative ileus in miceFrans O The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academical Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1055 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 146:252-8. 2005..manipulation (IM) during abdominal surgery triggers the influx of inflammatory cells, leading to postoperative ileus. Prevention of this local muscle inflammation, using intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and leukocyte ..
- Alvimopan and COX-2 inhibition reverse opioid and inflammatory components of postoperative ileusJ Schmidt
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:689-99. 2008..with alvimopan and anti-inflammatory cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) inhibition in an animal model of postoperative ileus with pain management...
- Incidence of postoperative ileus after paraaortic lymph node dissection in patients with malignant gynecologic tumorsKohei Fujita
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Hospital Organization, Osaka National Hospital, 2 1 14 Hoenzaka, Osaka 540 0006, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 10:187-90. 2005..We performed PAND in 217 patients in a 7-year period. In the present study, we focused on the occurrence of postoperative ileus in patients who underwent PAND.
- Mirizzi syndrome and gallstone ileus: an unusual presentation of gallstone diseaseMarcelo A Beltran
Department of Surgery, Emergency Unit, Hospital de Ovalle, Ovalle, Chile
J Gastrointest Surg 9:686-9. 2005....
- Emerging drugs for postoperative ileusBeverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld
University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, VA Medical Center, Research Administration, Rm 151, 921 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 12:619-26. 2007Postoperative ileus (POI) is an impairment of coordinated gastrointestinal (GI) motility that develops as a consequence of abdominal surgery and is a major factor contributing to patient morbidity and prolonged hospitalization...
- Cow's milk protein allergy presenting with Hirschsprung's disease-mimicking symptomsAkio Kubota
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Osaka 594 1101, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 41:2056-8. 2006..During our investigation of the etiology of this condition, which we named "benign transient nonorganic ileus of neonates" (BTNIN), we noticed that BTNIN included cases of cow's milk allergy (CMA)...
- Current strategies for preventing or ameliorating postoperative ileus: a multimodal approachRichard H Gannon
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, CT, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:S8-12. 2007Internal and external factors that contribute to postoperative ileus (POI), the efficacy and safety of various nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic interventions that have been evaluated for the prevention or amelioration of POI, and the ..
- Postoperative ileus involves interleukin-1 receptor signaling in enteric gliaBurkhard Stoffels
Department of Surgery, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Gastroenterology 146:176-87.e1. 2014Postoperative ileus (POI) is a common consequence of abdominal surgery that increases the risk of postoperative complications and morbidity. We investigated the cellular mechanisms and immune responses involved in the pathogenesis of POI.
- Management of postoperative ileusMelissa Thompson
Department of Pharmacy, University of Kentucky Hospital, 800 Rose St, H110, Lexington, KY 40536 2093, USA
Orthopedics 35:213-7. 2012Postoperative ileus, a temporary cessation in bowel motility, is a common and significant complication of major surgery...
- Influence of intravenous opioid dose on postoperative ileusJeffrey F Barletta
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, Midwestern University, Glendale, AZ, USA
Ann Pharmacother 45:916-23. 2011Intravenous opioids represent a major component in the pathophysiology of postoperative ileus (POI)...
- Transcutaneous electrogastrography in patients with ileus. Relations to interleukin-1beta, interleukin-6, procalcitonin and C-reactive proteinR Frasko
1st Department of Surgery, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Eur Surg Res 41:197-202. 2008The aim of the prospective study was to characterize the disturbance of gastric electrical control activity in different types of ileus and to correlate surface electrogastrography (EGG) findings with a set of inflammatory markers.
- Reduction of postoperative ileus by early enteral nutrition in patients undergoing major rectal surgery: prospective, randomized, controlled trialPetra G Boelens
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, the Netherlands Department of Surgery, Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, the Netherlands Department of Surgery, Research Institute Growth and Development of the Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 259:649-55. 2014..However, postoperative ileus is a frequent and common problem after major abdominal surgery...
- Alvimopan for the management of postoperative ileus after bowel resection: characterization of clinical benefit by pooled responder analysisKirk Ludwig
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
World J Surg 34:2185-90. 2010A pooled post hoc responder analysis was performed to assess the clinical benefit of alvimopan, a peripherally acting mu-opioid receptor (PAM-OR) antagonist, for the management of postoperative ileus after bowel resection.
- Evaluation of sequential organ failure assessment score for patients with strangulation ileusTetsuo Sumi
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Tokyo Medical University Hachioji Medical Center, 1163 Tate machi, Hachioji, Tokyo, 193 0998, Japan
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:27-31. 2010We examined the effectiveness of sequential organ failure assessment (SOFA) score to describe patients with strangulation ileus.
- Bouveret's syndrome complicated by a distal gallstone ileusRasim Gencosmanoglu
Unit of Surgery, Institute of Gastroenterology, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 9:2873-5. 2003..Endoscopic lithotomy is the first-step treatment, however, surgery is indicated in case of failure or complication during this procedure...
- Safety and efficacy of methylnaltrexone in shortening the duration of postoperative ileus following segmental colectomy: results of two randomized, placebo-controlled phase 3 trialsChang Sik Yu
University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Dis Colon Rectum 54:570-8. 2011Postoperative ileus contributes to surgical morbidity and is associated with prolonged hospitalization and increased health care costs...
- Mast cells trigger epithelial barrier dysfunction, bacterial translocation and postoperative ileus in a mouse modelS A Snoek
Tytgat Institute for Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:172-84, e91. 2012..commonly results in inflammation of the bowel wall, which leads to impaired intestinal motility and postoperative ileus (POI). Mast cells have shown to play a key role in the pathogenesis of POI in mouse models and human studies...
- The surgical treatment of a rare complication: gallstone ileusMarcello Donati
Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Trapianti d Organo e Tecnologie avanzate, U O Chirurgia Generale e Week Surgery, Policlinico Universitario di Catania, Italy
Ann Ital Chir 81:57-62. 2010The authors describe 3 cases of gallstone ileus observed in two different hospitals and evaluate the current rarity of this complication of the biliary lithiasis and/or of cholangiocarcinomas...
- The role of lymphoid tissue in the attenuation of the postoperative ileusA Koscielny
Department of Surgery, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 304:G401-12. 2013..These data demonstrate that secondary lymphoid organs are involved in the propagation of FE and postoperative ileus. FTY720 indirectly affects FE by inhibiting migration of activated T cells from the jejunum and adjacent secondary ..
- Differential molecular and cellular immune mechanisms of postoperative and LPS-induced ileus in mice and ratsJoachim Schmidt
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Cytokine 59:49-58. 2012b>Ileus is caused by the initiation of a complex cascade of molecular and cellular inflammatory responses within the intestinal muscularis, which might be species specific...
- Systemic inflammation with enhanced brain activation contributes to more severe delay in postoperative ileusS H W van Bree
Tytgat Institute for Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:e540-9. 2013The severity of postoperative ileus (POI) has been reported to result from decreased contractility of the muscularis inversely related to the number of infiltrating leukocytes...
- Clinical and economic burden of opioid use for postsurgical pain: focus on ventilatory impairment and ileusJeffrey F Barletta
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy Glendale, Midwestern University, Glendale, Arizona 85308, USA
Pharmacotherapy 32:12S-8S. 2012..This review investigates the impact of two ORADEs, respiratory depression and postoperative ileus (POI), on clinical and economic outcomes...
- Plasma procalcitonin in patients with ileus. Relations to other inflammatory parametersP Maruna
Third Department of Internal Medicine of the First Medical Faculty UK, U Nemocnice 1, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 57:481-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to characterize PCT plasma levels in patients with various types of ileus at preoperative stage, where the other inducing factors such as a surgical stress are excluded...
- Does gum chewing reduce postoperative ileus following open colectomy for left-sided colon and rectal cancer? A prospective randomized controlled trialH M Quah
Department of Colorectal and General Surgery, Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl, UK
Colorectal Dis 8:64-70. 2006Postoperative ileus is common after colorectal resection and can prolong hospital stay. Gum chewing, a type of sham feeding, may to stimulate gut motility via cephalic-vagal stimulation, and thereby reduce the length of ileus...
- Gallstone ileus--clinical and therapeutic aspectsM Beuran
Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
J Med Life 3:365-71. 2010Gallstone ileus represents a rare (0.3-0.5%), but serious complication of a common illness--the gallbladder lithiasis and the incidence of this fascinating disease has remained the same over the years...
- Consecutive instances of gallstone ileus due to obstruction first at the ileum and then at the duodenum complicating a gallbladder carcinoma: a case reportR Zissin
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Emerg Radiol 12:108-10. 2006Ectopic gallstone obstruction, gallstone ileus, due to cholecystoenteric fistula is an infrequent condition. Its occurrence as a complication of a gallbladder (GB) carcinoma is even more rare...
- The oldest patient with gallstone ileus: report of a case and review of 176 cases in JapanAtsunori Nakao
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Diabetes Mellitus Center, Fujita Hospital
Kurume Med J 55:29-33. 2008..The postoperative recovery was uneventful. We also reviewed 176 cases of gallstone ileus which were reported in the Japanese literature in the past 20 years...
- Involvement of cannabinoid-1 and cannabinoid-2 receptors in septic ileusY Y Li
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:350-e88. 2010..to characterize the possible influence of CB(1) and CB(2) receptors on motility impairment in a model of septic ileus. METHODS Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) injections were used to mimic pathophysiological features of septic ileus...
- Evidence for mast cell involvement in human postoperative ileus: a novel linkRoberto De Giorgio
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Centro Unificato di Ricerca BioMedica Applicata, University of Bologna, Italy
Gut 57:5-7. 2008
- Vagal innervation and early postoperative ileus in miceMario H Mueller
Walter Brendel Institute for Surgical Research, Ludwig Maximilian s University, Munich, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 15:891-900; discussion 900-1. 2011Postoperative ileus is characterized by infiltrates of leukocytes in the gut wall 24 h after surgery, which is subject to vagal modulation...
- Does gum chewing reduce postoperative ileus after intestinal resection in children? A prospective randomized controlled trialY H Çavuşoğlu
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dr Sami Ulus Children s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr Surg 19:171-3. 2009....
- Gallstone ileus: management options and results on a series of 40 patientsD Martinez Ramos
Service of Digestive and General Surgery, Hospital General de Castellon, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 101:117-20, 121-4. 2009Controversy remains about the management of gallstone ileus. While some authors propose enterotomy, others defend the one-stage procedure (simultaneously fistula repair)...
- Treatment of postoperative ileus after bowel surgery with low-dose intravenous erythromycinAndrew J Lightfoot
Department of Urology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1089, USA
Urology 69:611-5. 2007Treatment of postoperative ileus remains unsatisfactory. Erythromycin (EM), a macrolide antibiotic, has prokinetic effects on the gut...
- Gallstone ileus--an atypical presentation and unusual locationShamita Chatterjee
Department of General Surgery, R G Kar Medical College and Hospital, Kshudiram Bose Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Int J Surg 6:e55-6. 2008Gallstone ileus is an uncommon cause of small bowel obstruction and is rarely suspected preoperatively. Patients are usually elderly and present with features of small bowel obstruction...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 inhibition reduces inflammation and improves motility in murine models of postoperative ileusBeverley A Moore
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Division, Spring House, Pennsylvania, USA
Gastroenterology 141:1283-92, 1292.e1-4. 2011..Inflammation contributes to development of postoperative ileus (POI), which is caused by physical disturbances to the bowel during abdominal surgery...
- Defining DIOS and constipation in cystic fibrosis with a multicentre study on the incidence, characteristics, and treatment of DIOSRoderick H Houwen
Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 50:38-42. 2010Various definitions for distal intestinal obstruction syndrome (DIOS), meconium ileus equivalent, and constipation in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) are used...
- Mechanical ileus in a pregnant woman at term pregnancy accompanied by labor painsTomoki Kuwahata
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 33:549-51. 2007..She immediately underwent ileo-ileostomy with a diagnosis of mechanical ileus, and the postoperative course was uneventful...
- Is gum chewing useful for ileus after elective colorectal surgery? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsWenceslao Vásquez
Department of Surgery, Hospital Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Dr Esquerdo 46, 28007, Madrid, Spain
J Gastrointest Surg 13:649-56. 2009The evaluation of the usefulness of gum chewing for postoperative ileus has given inconclusive results. We evaluated the efficacy of gum chewing in the treatment of ileus after elective colorectal surgery.
- The effect of neostigmine on postoperative ileus and the healing of colon anastomosesM Emirleroglu
Yeditepe University Hospital, Department of General Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Bratisl Lek Listy 112:309-13. 2011The aim of this study was to assess the effects of neostigmine on the postoperative ileus and the healing of colon anastomoses.
- Management of meconium-related ileus in very low-birthweight infantsTsuyoshi Shinohara
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Toyohashi Municipal Hospital, Toyohashi, Aichiken, Japan
Pediatr Int 49:641-4. 2007Although administration of a water-soluble contrast enema has been recognized to be effective for meconium-related ileus, there have been no definitive management guidelines for very low-birthweight infants.
- Anti-inflammatory role of glycine in reducing rodent postoperative inflammatory ileusB Stoffels
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:76-87, e8. 2011..macrophage activation and leukocyte recruitment, have been demonstrated to participate in causing postoperative ileus. Recently, glycine has gained attention due to its beneficial immunomodulatory effects in transplantation, shock ..
- Stability of extemporaneously prepared acetylcysteine 1% and 10% solutions for treatment of meconium ileusAlexander L Fohl
College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, 428 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1065, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 68:69-72. 2011The stability of extemporaneously prepared acetylcysteine 1% and 10% solutions for treatment of meconium ileus was evaluated.
- Intravenous lidocaine is as effective as epidural bupivacaine in reducing ileus duration, hospital stay, and pain after open colon resection: a randomized clinical trialBrian R Swenson
Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 35:370-6. 2010Both postoperative epidural analgesia and intravenous (IV) infusion of local anesthetic have been shown to shorten ileus duration and hospital stay after colon surgery when compared with the use of systemic narcotics alone...
- A prospective randomized double-blind study to determine the effect of thoracic epidural neostigmine on postoperative ileus after abdominal aortic surgeryEsra Caliskan
Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Adana Teaching and Medical Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Dadaloglu Mahallesi, 39 Sokak, No 36, Yuregir 01250 Adana, Turkey
Anesth Analg 106:959-64, table of contents. 2008Postoperative ileus is a major gastrointestinal complication of abdominal aortic surgery leading to increased rates of morbidity and mortality, longer lengths of hospital stay, and higher costs...
- New therapies in the treatment of postoperative ileus after gastrointestinal surgeryDavid J Maron
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Am J Ther 15:59-65. 2008Postoperative ileus after gastrointestinal surgery results from many factors, including the effects of surgical trauma, anesthetic agents, hyperactivity of the sympathetic nervous system, local inflammatory reactions, and the use of ..
- Intestinal wall damage in simple ileus in rabbits: immune-modulator role of somatostatinAntonio Jiménez-García
Department of Surgery, Virgin Macarena University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine University of Seville, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1030-6. 2004..Simple ileus causes a series of functional and anatomical changes, which have been related to the peptidergic neural system, ..
- Hypothesis: hexitols in chewing gum may play a role in reducing postoperative ileusH Tandeter
Department of Family Medicine, Siaal Family Medicine and Primary Care Research Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, POB 653, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Med Hypotheses 72:39-40. 2009Gum-chewing has been suggested as a method to stimulate bowel motility and shorten postoperative ileus after colorectal surgery...
- Differential sensitization of afferent neuronal pathways during postoperative ileus in the mouse jejunumMario H Mueller
Department of Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Ann Surg 247:791-802. 2008Postoperative ileus induces reflex inhibition of gastrointestinal motility and an intestinal inflammatory response...
- The operative management of gallstone ileusReena Ravikumar
Surgical Department, New Cross Hospital, Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust, Wolverhampton, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:279-81. 2010Gallstone ileus is an uncommon entity, which accounts for 1-4% of all presentations to hospital with small bowel obstruction and for up to 25% of all cases in patients over 65 years of age...
- Adynamic ileus and acute colonic pseudo-obstructionMihaela Batke
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, William Beaumont Hospital, MOB 233, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Med Clin North Am 92:649-70, ix. 2008b>Ileus and colonic pseudo-obstruction cause functional obstruction of intestinal transit, without mechanical obstruction, because of uncoordinated or attenuated intestinal muscle contractions...
- Pharmacological management of postoperative ileusFarhad Zeinali
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5047, USA
Can J Surg 52:153-7. 2009The duration of postoperative ileus following abdominal surgery is quite variable, and prolonged postoperative ileus is an iatrogenic phenomenon with important influence on patient morbidity, hospital costs and length of stay in hospital...
- Does gum chewing ameliorate postoperative ileus? Results of a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trialEvan Matros
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:773-8. 2006A preliminary report has been interpreted to suggest that gum chewing reduces duration of postcolectomy ileus.
- Association of the CLCA1 p.S357N variant with meconium ileus in European patients with cystic fibrosisH P J van der Doef
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 50:347-9. 2010..acts as a modifier gene in a cohort of 682 European patients with cystic fibrosis (CF)-99 patients with meconium ileus. The 357SS genotype was significantly overrepresented in both patients with meconium ileus and also with a severe ..
- Ileus following total hip or knee arthroplasty is associated with increased risk of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolismKeith R Berend
Joint Implant Surgeons, New Albany Surgical Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 43215, USA
J Arthroplasty 19:82-6. 2004..and pulmonary embolism, causes morbidity and mortality following total hip and total knee arthroplasties, while ileus complicates up to 4.0%...
- Proinflammatory role of leukocyte-derived Egr-1 in the development of murine postoperative ileusJoachim Schmidt
Department Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Gastroenterology 135:926-36, 936.e1-2. 2008Early growth response gene-1 (Egr-1) is an important inflammatory transcription factor. We hypothesize that leukocyte-derived Egr-1 plays a key inflammatory role in causing postoperative ileus.
- Effect of mosapride on recovery of intestinal motility after hand-assisted laparoscopic colectomy for carcinomaKazuhiro Narita
Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Showa University School of Medicine, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo, 142 8666, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1692-5. 2008Mosapride citrate (mosapride) is a serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine 4 receptor agonist known to promote gastric emptying and large-intestine motility. We assessed the effect of mosapride on postoperative ileus following colon surgery.
- Role of helical CT in diagnosis of gallstone ileus and related conditionsFrancesco Lassandro
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, A Cardarelli Hospital, Viale Cardarelli 9, Naples 80131, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:1159-65. 2005..Diagnostic imaging plays a great role in the management of patients with suspected gallstone ileus and overall in the correct predictive diagnosis: in the last years, some experiences in radiologic diagnosis of ..
- Meconium ileus--is a single surgical procedure adequate?Hagith Nagar
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dana Children s Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Asian J Surg 29:161-4. 2006Meconium ileus is one of the gastrointestinal manifestations of cystic fibrosis (CF), and affects 15% of neonates. The condition results from the accumulation of sticky inspissated meconium...
- Peripherally acting mu-opioid receptor antagonists and postoperative ileus: mechanisms of action and clinical applicabilityEugene R Viscusi
Department of Anesthesiology, Acute Pain Management Service, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, 111 S 11th St, Suite G 8490, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Anesth Analg 108:1811-22. 2009Postoperative ileus (POI), a transient cessation of coordinated bowel function after surgery, is an important health care problem. The etiology of POI is multifactorial and related to both the surgical and anesthetic pathways chosen...
- Mechanisms of Postoperative IleusYVETTE FRANCE TACHE; Fiscal Year: 2012..applicant): ABSTRACT The long-term objective is to open new strategies to reduce the development of postoperative ileus (POI) occurring after abdominal surgery involving manipulation of the bowel by increasing the understanding of ..
- Pathological Evaluation of a Cystic Fibrosis Ferret ModelJohn F Engelhardt; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preliminary analysis of CFTR-deficient newborn ferrets demonstrates that they are afflicted by meconium ileus, defects in cAMP-mediated chloride transport in the airway epithelium, and defects in pancreatic excocrine ..
- PPG - Gene Therapy for Cystic Fibrosis Lung DiseasePaul B McCray; Fiscal Year: 2013..This remarkable model exhibits features of CF in humans, including meconium ileus, pancreatic insufficiency, liver and gall bladder disease, and absence of CFTR anion transport in nasal and ..
- HCO3- Conductive function of CFTR: Implications to Oral Health & Cystic FibrosisMADIREDDI REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2010..abnormal mucous secretion in the intestine and airways (63, 65, 107), destruction of pancreas (53, 54);meconium ileus and distal intestinal obstructive syndrome (41, 104)...
- Abdominal Massage for Postoperative Adhesions and IleusGeoffrey M Bove; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the abdominal contents and wall) on the prevention and treatment of postoperative peritoneal adhesions and ileus. Intra-abdominal adhesions (pathological bands of fibrous connective tissue that develop after peritoneal injury) ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF SMALL INTESTINAL MOTILITYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ultimately, this study will help to better understand the pathophysiology of motor abnormalities such as intestinal pseudoobstruction, paralytic ileus, and diabetic enteropathy.
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..Acupuncture of the lower extremity has been used to treat the patients with anorexia and postoperative ileus in China...
- Acupuncture to Prevent Postoperative Paralytic lleusJOSEPH CHIANG; Fiscal Year: 2004..prospective randomized trial is to determine if acupuncture is effective in preventing postoperative paralytic ileus (PPI) among cancer survivors undergoing colostomy/ileostomy closure...
- NUTRITION SUPPORT EFFECT ON SEVERE ACUTE PANCREATITISStephen Martin; Fiscal Year: 1999..have demonstrated safety of enteral feedings infused into the jejunum of patients with post operative paralytic ileus. Advantages of enteral feedings include no potential catheter sepsis, and perhaps promoting gut mucosal integrity...
- NC/OFQ analogs as ORL1 agonists to promote gut motilityMARK FINDEIS; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary clinical target for these drugs is postoperative ileus (POI) with further utility for the treatment of other Gl motilityrelated disorders, particularly severe ..
- ION CHANNEL REGULATION IN CYSTIC FIBROSISJEFFREY WINE; Fiscal Year: 1990..mucus in females and blockage and eventual degeneration of the vas deferens in males, susceptibility to meconium ileus in newborns and an equivalent form of intestinal blockage later, and chronic lung infection, usually by gram ..
- AUTONOMIC MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR SIGNALING MECHANISMSFRED EHLERT; Fiscal Year: 2000..this proposal could provide the basis for the development of more selective drugs for the treatment of paralytic ileus and glaucoma, and in determining how drugs used in psychiatry interfere with muscarinic cholinergic mechanisms...
- mu Opioid Receptor Function in the Enteric Nervous SystemCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2007..and cellular signaling located downstream of the receptor, and 2) NMDA-R activation mediates the development of ileus/constipation induced by chronic [unreadable]OR activation...
- CFTR AND ALIMENTARY EPITHELIAL ACID/ BASE TRANSPORTLane Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2000..Meconium ileus/distal obstruction syndrome, maldigestion/malabsorption disorders, and an increased risk of gastroduodenal ulcer ..
- CL-/HCO3- EXCHANGE IN CYSTIC FIBROSIS SWEAT GLANDSPaul Quinton; Fiscal Year: 2001..abnormalities found in CF: namely, salty sweat, autolysis of the pancreas, atresia of the vas deferens, meconium ileus, depressed female fertility, and lung disease as well as a host of other abnormalities...
- NOVEL ERYTHROMYCIN ANALOGS FOR GI MOTILITY DISORDERSChristopher Carreras; Fiscal Year: 2000..gastrointestinal motility disorders such as gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD), gastroparesis, postoperative ileus, scleroderma, gallstones, and as a quick and effective drug to stimulate stomach emptying in patients requiring ..
- Intestinal Pacing for Intestinal Pseudo-ObstructionJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Severe postoperative ileus is common in patients after abdominal surgery and requires extensive hospitalization...
- BYPASSING THE SECRETORY DEFECT IN CYSTIC FIBROSISKim Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2000..and treatment of cystic fibrosis, particularly with regard to its gastrointestinal manifestations such as meconium ileus. Cystic fibrosis is the most common, severe, autosomal recessive disorder among individuals of Caucasian origin...
- Novel direct vago-vagal recording of i.v. ghrelin actionDavid Adelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..This latter function is of interest due to the clinical importance of postoperative gastric ileus and the lack of effective prokinetic therapies...
- Novel neutral antagonist for the treatment of opioid-induced adverse effectsJANET YANCEY WRONA; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., severe constipation, nausea and vomiting) and post-operative ileus. AIKO Biotechnology will determine the feasibility of using its proprietary peripherally restricted opioid neutral ..
- Modifier genes in CF-related diabetes and meconium ileusSCOTT BLACKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..that genetic factors other than CFTR underlie much of the risk for two significant complications of CF: meconium ileus, a severe neonatal intestinal obstruction, and CF-related diabetes, which is correlated with increased CF ..
- Radioactive Stenting of malignant Biliary ObstructionsStephen Bunker; Fiscal Year: 2003Luminal obstructive symptoms such as dysphagia, vomitus, jaundice, or ileus are often the first symptoms noticed by patients or physicians and unfortunately, usually indicate an advanced stage of gastrointestinal disease associated with ..
- Genetic Modifiers in CF: Role of ABH polymorphismsJENNIFER TAYLOR COUSAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Several phenotypic characteristics including gender, nutritional status, and meconium ileus (which may result from abnormal glycosyation of ileal mucus) affect pulmonary severity and will also be evaluated...
- ORAL ABSORBABLE LMW HEPARIN DERIVATIVES, IN VIVO STUDIESSIGMUND LASKER; Fiscal Year: 2000..Animal studies in rats will be performed to establish absorpton from two intestinal sites. Loops of the ileus and the colon will be used in separate experiments as test absorption sites...
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- Role of the Amygdala in Opioid Self-administration in Rats with Chronic Pain.Thomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- JEOL 1230 TEM and BOC Edwards Vacuum EvaporatorMichael Welsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..McCray will be involved with gene transfer using lentiviral vectors. Tobacman will study the structure of short actin filaments. Zabner will examine the morphology of Adeno-associated virus. ..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Background: Postoperative ileus, pain, nausea and vomiting are common symptoms in patients undergoing major abdominal surgery that contribute to patient discomfort, prolonged hospital ..
- Hypothermia for Acute Brain Injury in ChildrenCharles Cox; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- EXTRAMURAL FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROGRAMRobert Golden; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MICROVASCULAR INJURY DURING EXTRACORPOREAL LIFE SUPPORTCharles Cox; Fiscal Year: 2004..Dr. McIntire's expertise in PMN/endothelial/blood flow interactions will provide an important addition to the candidate's training. ..
- Quantifying Effects of Malnutrition on Cystic FibrosisHuiChuan Lai; Fiscal Year: 2003..The candidate will benefit from working with the multidisciplinary CF research team at the Madison CF center as well as from participation in the active and vigorous research community at UW-Madison. ..
- Experimental approaches to understanding the ENS and its disordersJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will help the attendees develop a network of professional contacts who can help the young investigator in the career development process. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protective Mechanisms of CO in Intestinal InflammationAnthony Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2009Postoperative ileus, the impaired intestinal contractility following abdominal surgery, continues to be a major clinical problem, extending hospital stay and contributing to medical complications...
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- Complex Isopathic Drug Development for NeuroprotectionWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Triggering Mechanisms of Post-Operative IleusAnthony Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2008DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Postoperative ileus (POI), occurring after over 10 million abdominal surgeries per year, is so common that ileus is thought to be an accepted iatrogenic consequence and a "physiological" reaction of ..
- Clinical Approaches to Ileal Pouch DysfunctionBo Shen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The AIMS of study are to 1) investigate visceral hypersensitivity using barostat examination of the pouch; 2) conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial evaluating the use of amitriptyline in IPS. ..
- PRESYNAPTIC MECHANISMS IN THE INTESTINEJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is also anticipated that these studies will identify new targets for drugs that can be used to treat GI motility disorders. ..