Genomes and Genes
Summary: Opening or penetration through the wall of the INTESTINES.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- The management of complicated diverticulitis and the role of computed tomographyAndreas M Kaiser
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:910-7. 2005..The aim of our study was therefore to define the role of computed tomography (CT) and to analyze its impact on the management of acute diverticulitis...
- The impact of spontaneous tumour perforation on outcome following colon cancer surgeryA S Abdelrazeq
Department of Colorectal Surgery, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:775-80. 2008..The impact of spontaneous tumour perforation on survival following surgery for colon cancer is unclear. This study compares survival outcomes for patients with perforated colonic cancer with stage-matched nonperforated cancer...
- Bowel perforation after radiotherapy in a patient receiving sorafenibNatascha A J B Peters
Department of Experimental Oncology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:2405-6. 2008
- Typhoid intestinal perforation in north central NigeriaB T Ugwu
Department of Surgery Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 24:1-6. 2005Typhoid intestinal perforation is a surgical problem with severe morbidity and high mortality in North Central Nigeria.
- Retrospective study of technical aspects and complications of endoscopic submucosal dissection for laterally spreading tumors of the colorectumT Toyonaga
Department of Endoscopy, Kobe University Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Endoscopy 42:714-22. 2010..However, ESD for LST-NG can be technically difficult. The aim of our study was to compare our ESD results for LST-NG and for LST-G...
- Iatrogenic perforation associated with therapeutic colonoscopy: a multicenter study in JapanKeisei Taku
Division of Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Chiba, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1409-14. 2007..Colonic perforation is the serious accidental complication. The aim of this study is to analyze the clinical presentation and management of recent iatrogenic perforations during therapeutic colonoscopy...
- Postoperative outcomes of extremely low birth-weight infants with necrotizing enterocolitis or isolated intestinal perforation: a prospective cohort study by the NICHD Neonatal Research NetworkMartin L Blakely
University of Tennessee, Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Ann Surg 241:984-9; discussion 989-94. 2005..infants who underwent initial laparotomy or drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) or isolated intestinal perforation (IP); 2) to determine the ability to distinguish NEC from IP preoperatively and the importance of this ..
- A clinical, microbiological, and pathological study of intestinal perforation associated with typhoid feverQuoc Chanh Nguyen
Dong Thap Provincial Hospital, Dong Thap, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Clin Infect Dis 39:61-7. 2004One of the most serious complications of typhoid fever is intestinal perforation. Of 27 patients admitted to a provincial hospital in the Mekong Delta region of Vietnam who had gastrointestinal perforation secondary to suspected typhoid ..
- Outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal epithelial neoplasms in 200 consecutive casesMitsuhiro Fujishiro
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:678-83; quiz 645. 2007..The clinical outcomes for endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD), a novel endoluminal surgery for gastrointestinal neoplasm in the colorectum, are reported...
- Initial repair of iatrogenic colon perforation using laparoscopic methodsJ I Bleier
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Surg Endosc 22:646-9. 2008....
- Phase II study of bevacizumab in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer or peritoneal serous cancerStephen A Cannistra
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, East Campus KS158, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:5180-6. 2007....
- Hospital and neurodevelopmental outcomes of extremely low-birth-weight infants with necrotizing enterocolitis and spontaneous intestinal perforationT A Shah
Department of Pediatrics, Perinatal Institute, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Perinatol 32:552-8. 2012We sought to determine the incidence of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP) in surviving extremely low-birth-weight (ELBW, <1000 g birth weight) infants and to establish the impact of NEC on ..
- Immunoregulatory protein profiles of necrotizing enterocolitis versus spontaneous intestinal perforation in preterm infantsKathy Yuen Yee Chan
Department of Paediatrics, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
PLoS ONE 7:e36977. 2012Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP) are the most common acute surgical emergencies associated with high morbidity and mortality in preterm infants...
- Laparotomy versus peritoneal drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis or isolated intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight infants: outcomes through 18 months adjusted ageMartin L Blakely
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Pediatrics 117:e680-7. 2006Extremely low birth weight (ELBW; < or =1000 g) infants with necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) or isolated intestinal perforation (IP) are treated surgically with either initial laparotomy or peritoneal drain placement...
- A large outbreak of typhoid fever associated with a high rate of intestinal perforation in Kasese District, Uganda, 2008-2009Karen P Neil
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Scientific Education and Professional Development Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:1091-9. 2012..We report a large laboratory-confirmed outbreak of typhoid fever in Uganda with a high proportion of intestinal perforations (IPs)...
- Spontaneous intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight infants: association with indometacin therapy and effects on neurodevelopmental outcomes at 18-22 months corrected ageRajan Wadhawan
Division of Neonatology, All Children s Hospital, St Petersburg, Florida, USA
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 98:F127-32. 2013Spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP) is associated with the use of postnatal glucocorticoids and indometacin in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) infants...
- Outcome of surgical treatment of intestinal perforation in typhoid feverAziz Sumer
Department of General Surgery, Medical Faculty, University of Yuzuncu Yil, Van 6500, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 16:4164-8. 2010To represent our clinical experience in the treatment of intestinal perforation arising from typhoid fever.
- Prenatal or postnatal indomethacin exposure and neonatal gut injury associated with isolated intestinal perforation and necrotizing enterocolitisR Sharma
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine at Jacksonville, 655 West 8th Street, Jacksonville, FL 32209 6511, USA
J Perinatol 30:786-93. 2010..To examine the role of indomethacin in neonatal gut injury...
- Our experience with endoscopic repair of large colonoscopic perforations and review of the literatureA Trecca
Department of Endoscopy and Gastroenterology Fabio di Giovambattista, USI Group Rome, Via Baccina 45, 00184 Rome, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 12:315-21; discussion 322. 2008..Recently successful closure with endoscopic clips has been reported. However large (>10 mm) perforations and perforations occurring during diagnostic colonoscopy are considered a contraindication to endoscopic closure...
- Small intestinal nonmeckelian diverticulosisKonstantinos Makris
Department of Surgery, Metropolitan Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:201-7. 2009..The extent of resection may be a problem, especially in patients with extensive disease involving large parts of the bowel. In these cases, clinical judgment is required from the part of surgeon to avoid short bowel syndrome...
- Intestinal perforation as a long-term complication of plug and mesh inguinal hernioplasty: case reportM Benedetti
Istituto di Chirurgia Generale e dei Trapianti d Organo Chirurgia Gastroenterologica e Mammaria, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo Università degli Studi di Pavia, P le Golgi 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Hernia 9:93-5. 2005..We report on a case of sigmoid colon perforation due to a plug of Trabucco hernioplasty performed 2 years previously...
- Endoclipping of iatrogenic colonic perforation to avoid surgeryRichard Magdeburg
Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Mannheim, BW, Germany
Surg Endosc 22:1500-4. 2008..Recently, endoscopic clip application was recommended, particularly for iatrogenic perforations, but less is known about the effectiveness of endoluminal repair of colonic perforations with clips...
- Bowel perforation in non-small cell lung cancer after bevacizumab therapyElisabeth Schellhaas
Chirurgische Klinik I, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Invest New Drugs 27:184-7. 2009..Bevacizumab is increasingly used in combination with chemotherapy for treatment of unresectable non-small cell lung cancer. The aim of this report is to underline possible risks associated with this otherwise well-tolerated drug...
- The ladies trial: laparoscopic peritoneal lavage or resection for purulent peritonitis and Hartmann's procedure or resection with primary anastomosis for purulent or faecal peritonitis in perforated diverticulitis (NTR2037)Hilko A Swank
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Surg 10:29. 2010....
- Laparotomy versus peritoneal drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis and perforationR Lawrence Moss
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn 06520 8062, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2225-34. 2006..We designed this multicenter randomized trial to compare outcomes of primary peritoneal drainage with laparotomy and bowel resection in preterm infants with perforated necrotizing enterocolitis...
- Typhoid ileal perforation: analysis of morbidity and mortality in 89 childrenS O Ekenze
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
Niger J Clin Pract 11:58-62. 2008..Typhoid ileal perforation is still prevalent in many developing countries. Despite the advances in the management, the outcome in children is still very poor...
- Incidence and management of colonoscopic perforations: 8 years' experienceHagit Tulchinsky
Department of Surgery B, Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Veizman St, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
World J Gastroenterol 12:4211-3. 2006..To review the experience of a major medical teaching center with diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopies and to assess the incidence and management of related colonic perforations...
- Accuracy of MDCT in predicting site of gastrointestinal tract perforationBernard Hainaux
Department of Radiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire St Pierre, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 322 rue Haute, Brussels 1000, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:1179-83. 2006....
- Risk of gastrointestinal perforation in patients with cancer treated with bevacizumab: a meta-analysisSanjaykumar Hapani
Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794 9447, USA
Lancet Oncol 10:559-68. 2009..We did a systematic review and meta-analysis of published randomised controlled trials to assess the overall risk of gastrointestinal perforation associated with bevacizumab treatment...
- Colonoscopic perforations: a review of 30,366 patientsT H Lüning
Department of Surgery, Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 21:994-7. 2007..This study aimed to determine perforation frequency and the management of endoscopic colonoscopic perforation...
- What is the risk of bowel perforation associated with bevacizumab therapy in ovarian cancer?Ernest S Han
Gynecol Oncol 105:3-6. 2007
- Risk of perforation from a colonoscopy in adults: a large population-based studyGaurav Arora
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5187, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 69:654-64. 2009..Previous studies that reported the incidence of perforation from a colonoscopy are limited by small sample sizes, restricted age groups, or single-center data...
- Colonoscopic perforation: incidence, risk factors, management and outcomeVarut Lohsiriwat
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Prannok Road, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
World J Gastroenterol 16:425-30. 2010..The applications of each treatment are discussed. Overall outcomes of patients with CP are also addressed...
- Ascitic fluid carcinoembryonic antigen and alkaline phosphatase levels for the differentiation of primary from secondary bacterial peritonitis with intestinal perforationS S Wu
Division of Gastroenterology, Changhua Christian Medical Center, Taiwan
J Hepatol 34:215-21. 2001..bacterial peritonitis (SBP) may be difficult to distinguish from secondary peritonitis with occult intestinal perforation; Runyon's criteria (based on ascitic fluid glucose, protein and lactate dehydrogenase levels) are ..
- Surgical management of necrotizing enterocolitis and isolated intestinal perforation in premature neonatesMartin L Blakely
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Semin Perinatol 32:122-6. 2008Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and isolated intestinal perforation (IP) are two relatively common disease conditions that require neonatal surgical therapy...
- Endoscopic treatment of an iatrogenic perforation of the colon by using endoloopCarla Celestino
The Latin American OMGE OMED Advanced Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Training Center Santiago de Chile, Chile
Gastrointest Endosc 64:653-4. 2006
- Bowel injury as a complication of laparoscopyM van der Voort
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 91:1253-8. 2004..Bowel injury is a rare but serious complication of laparoscopic surgery. This review examines the incidence, location, time of diagnosis, causative instruments, management and mortality of laparoscopy-induced bowel injury...
- Functional impairments at school age of children with necrotizing enterocolitis or spontaneous intestinal perforationElise Roze
Division of Neonatology, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen 9713 GZ, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 70:619-25. 2011..behavioral outcome at school age of children who had either necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) or spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP)...
- Intestinal perforation in very low birth weight infants: growth and neurodevelopment at 1 year of ageOlubukunola A Adesanya
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Perinatol 25:583-9. 2005To compare growth and neurodevelopment in surviving very low birth weight (VLBW) infants with an intestinal perforation (IP) caused by necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) versus spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP).
- Spontaneous intestinal perforation after oral ibuprofen treatment of patent ductus arteriosus in two very-low-birthweight infantsM M Tatli
Division of Neonatology, Department of Paediatrics, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Paediatr 93:999-1001. 2004To discuss intestinal side effects of ibuprofen in the treatment of patent ductus arteriosus, after having observed two cases of spontaneous intestinal perforation following ibuprofen treatment.
- Concurrent use of indomethacin and dexamethasone increases the risk of spontaneous intestinal perforation in very low birth weight neonatesL Paquette
USC Division of Neonatal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Perinatol 26:486-92. 2006Dexamethasone or indomethacin predisposes very low birth weight (VLBW) neonates to spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP)...
- Intestinal perforation caused by magnetic toysEsperanza Hernández Anselmi
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Hospital Infantil La Fe, Valencia, Spain
J Pediatr Surg 42:E13-6. 2007..We report the fifth case in the literature of intestinal perforation and fistula caused by the ingestion of 2 small magnetic pieces of a toy by a 3-year-old boy...
- Thermal injury causing delayed perforation of small bowel after transurethral resection of bladder tumor without evidence of bladder perforationNitya E Abraham
Department of Urology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, 10016, USA
Can J Urol 18:5836-8. 2011..This injury highlights the need for particular prudence when resecting and fulgurating bladder tumors using monopolar electrocautery, specifically in the regions adjacent to bowel...
- Laparoscopic repair of colonic perforation associated with colonoscopy: use of passing sutures and endoscopic linear staplerA Yamamoto
Department of Surgery, Koga General Hospital, Miyazaki, Japan
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 11:19-21. 2001..The current method is beneficial because the perforated lesion is safely and easily closed and postoperative colonic stenosis is avoided...
- Typhoid intestinal perforations: twenty-six year experienceS Selcuk Atamanalp
Department of General Surgery, Ataturk University, School of Medicine, 25070 Erzurum, Turkey
World J Surg 31:1883-8. 2007..One of the most lethal complications of TF is ileal perforation (TIP). Although the mortality of associated with TIP has decreased slightly over the past decade, it is still high...
- Discharge outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants with spontaneous intestinal perforationsJ T Attridge
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, and Department of Pediatrics, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
J Perinatol 26:49-54. 2006To examine discharge outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants (ELBW) with spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP).
- Factors effecting morbidity in typhoid intestinal perforation in childrenAbdurrahman Onen
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical Faculty of Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 18:696-700. 2002To determine the factors affecting morbidity in patients with typhoid intestinal perforation (TIP), 42 patients who had been operated upon for TIP between 1990 and 2000 were reviewed. The average age was 10...
- Maternal factors in extremely low birth weight infants who develop spontaneous intestinal perforationCorinne J Ragouilliaux
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0375, USA
Pediatrics 120:e1458-64. 2007Spontaneous intestinal perforation of the extremely low birth weight infant (< or = 1000 g) is associated with a high incidence of Candida and coagulase-negative Staphylococcus sepsis...
- Life threatening tension pneumoperitoneum from intestinal perforation during air reduction of intussusceptionE Ng
Departments of Anesthesia and Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 12:798-800. 2002..Life threatening tension pneumoperitoneum developed rapidly and immediate needle decompression was life saving in this case. The pathophysiology of hyperacute abdominal compartment syndrome is discussed...
- Cytomegalovirus enteritis causing ileal perforation in an elderly immunocompetent individualJae Myung Cha
Department of Internal Medicine, East West Neo Medical Center, Kyung Hee University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 51:279-83. 2010....
- CMV enteritis causing ileal perforation in underlying lupus enteritisSeungmin Bang
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Immunology and Immunological Disease, BK 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Shinchon Dong 134, Seodaemoon Gu, 120 752, Seoul, Korea
Clin Rheumatol 23:69-72. 2004..Her symptoms improved following the initiation of ganciclovir therapy. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report in the English literature of an ileal perforation due to CMV infection in a patient with lupus enteritis...
- Intestinal perforation due to retained wireless capsule endoscopeP Gonzalez Carro
Digestive Unit, Hospital General Mancha Centro, Alcazar de San Juan, Spain
Endoscopy 37:684. 2005
- Ischemic necrosis of small bowel following laparoscopic surgeryHarrith M Hasson
University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
JSLS 8:159-63. 2004..Of the 8 cases reported in the surgical literature, 7 were fatal, 1 was not. In this report, we describe the first gynecological case...
- Occult transfixation of the sigmoid colon by suprapubic catheterMiles D Witham
Section of Ageing and Health, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Age Ageing 31:407-8. 2002..One day after the catheter was changed, he passed faeculent material in the catheter and became unwell with abdominal pain. The catheter tip was visible per rectum...
- Peritoneal drainage versus laparotomy for necrotizing enterocolitis and intestinal perforation: a meta-analysisJuan E Sola
DeWitt Daughtry Family Department of Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Surg Res 161:95-100. 2010To determine whether peritoneal drain (PD) or laparotomy (LAP) is the most effective intervention in premature neonates with necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) or intestinal perforation (IP).
- Laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis: an evaluation of postoperative factorsC G Ball
Department of Surgery, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29 Street NW, T2 N 2T9, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Surg Endosc 18:969-73. 2004..The use of laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis is controversial. Outcomes were compared between patients who had complicated appendicitis and those who had uncomplicated appendicitis...
- Systematic review of the efficacy and safety of colorectal stentsU P Khot
Department of Surgery, Darent Valley Hospital, Dartford, UK
Br J Surg 89:1096-102. 2002..Colorectal stents are being used for palliation and as a 'bridge to surgery' in obstructing colorectal cancers...
- Outcome after emergency surgery for acute perforated diverticulitis in 200 casesJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, MCRZ St Clara Hospital and Zuider Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 24:361-6. 2007..The ideal treatment is still controversial. The object of this study was to compare patients with perforated diverticulitis treated either by resection with primary anastomosis (PA) or Hartmann's procedure (HP)...
- New insights into spontaneous intestinal perforation using a national data set: (1) SIP is associated with early indomethacin exposureJ T Attridge
University of Virginia Children s Hospital, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Perinatol 26:93-9. 2006Spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP) is increasingly common in the premature infant and is associated with significant morbidity...
- Small intestinal perforation due to metastasis of breast carcinoma: report of a caseAtsushi Kawasaki
Department of Surgery, Social Insurance Yokohama Central Hospital, 268 Yamashita cho, Naka ku, Yokohama, 231 8553, Japan
Surg Today 41:698-700. 2011..It is important to identify metastatic intestinal tumors in patients who have breast cancer...
- Neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis with intestinal perforation in extremely premature infants receiving early indomethacin treatment for patent ductus arteriosusAlan M Fujii
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02218, USA
J Perinatol 22:535-40. 2002..033). Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) with intestinal perforation was the most serious morbidity and occurred in 20% of infants in the ETG, but in no STG infant (p = 0.011)...
- Multiple intestinal perforation in a patient with Wegener's granulomatosis: a case report and review of the literatureA C Yildirim
Turkish Ministry of Health, Ankara Diskapi Education and Researching Hospital, Department of 2nd General Surgery, Diskapi, Ankara, Turkey
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 34:712-5. 2010..Herein we report a case of a 32-year-old man with extensive intestinal small bowel ischaemic perforation due to Wegener's granulomatosis...
- Ileal perforation caused by cytomegalovirus infection in a patient with recurrent gastric cancer: report of a caseSusumu Kawate
Second Department of Surgery, Gunma University School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Surg Today 32:1088-90. 2002..There was no evidence of cancer cell invasion or any other pathogens. Although the prognosis associated with bowel perforation due to CMV infection is poor, emergency surgery saved our patient's life...
- Typhoid intestinal perforation in children: a continuing scourge in a developing countryAba F Uba
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Surgery Department, University of Jos Jos University Teaching Hospital, Murtala Mohammed Way, Jos, Plateau, 930001, Nigeria
Pediatr Surg Int 23:33-9. 2007Typhoid intestinal perforation is a principal cause of morbidity and mortality affecting both adults and children...
- Focal intestinal perforation in extremely-low-birth-weight neonates: etiological consideration from histological findingsAkio Kubota
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, 840 Murodo cho, Izumi, Osaka, 594 1101, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 23:997-1000. 2007In Japan, mortality due to intestinal perforation has been increasing for the last 15 years, as the survival rate of extremely-low-birth-weight neonates (ELBWs) has been increasing...
- [Abdominal compartment syndrome during endoscopic clamping of an intestinal perforation secondary to colonoscopy]Magda Lourenço Fernandes
Hospital das Clinicas, UFMG, BH
Rev Bras Anestesiol 59:614-7. 2009Colonoscopy is widely used for diagnosis, treatment, and control of intestinal disorders. Intestinal perforation, although rare, is the most feared complication. Perforations can be treated by endoscopic clamping...
- Feasibility of endoscopic closure of an iatrogenic colon perforation occurring during colonoscopyIvan Jovanovic
Clinic for Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Faculty of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Gastrointest Endosc 73:550-5. 2011....
- Preoperative CT staging in sigmoid diverticulitis--does it correlate with intraoperative and histological findings?Jorg Peter Ritz
Department of General, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:1009-15. 2010..This study was designed to evaluate whether the computed tomography (CT) reflects the extent of the inflammation in sigmoid diverticulitis (SD) in order to draw conclusions for selecting the appropriate treatment...
- Ileal perforation due to cytomegalovirus infectionA D Meza
Department of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso 79905
J Natl Med Assoc 86:145-8. 1994..Typically, a patient with a history of chronic diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain develops the superimposed picture of an acute abdomen and has pneumoperitonium on radiograph. The prognosis is poor...
- [Self-expandable metallic stent for palliative treatment of colorectal malignant obstructions: risk of perforation]R Scurtu
Service de Chirurgie Generale et Digestive, CHU Tenon, 4, rue de la Chine, 75970 Paris 20, France
Ann Chir 128:359-63. 2003..The self-expandable metallic stents are a good alternative to surgery for the palliative treatment of malignant colonic obstructions. The aim of this paper was to emphasize the causes which could increase the risk of perforation...
- Direct visualization of perforation sites in patients with a non-traumatic free pneumoperitoneum: added diagnostic value of thin transverse slices and coronal and sagittal reformations for multi-detector CTOlivier Ghekiere
Department of Radiology, Hospital Lapeyronie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Montpellier, 371, avenue du Doyen Gaston Giraud, Montpellier, 34295, France
Eur Radiol 17:2302-9. 2007..The use of 1.25-mm axial slices and reformations intrinsically contained more useful diagnostic information than 5-mm axial slices alone for diagnosis of the perforation site in patients with pneumoperitoneum...
- Pattern of presentation and management of typhoid intestinal perforation in Sagamu, South-West Nigeria: a 15 year studyA O Tade
Department of Surgery, Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 17:387-90. 2008Mortality from typhoid intestinal perforation remains high in the West African sub-region...
- The acute abdomen in the immune compromised hostSimon P Spencer
Department of Radiology, St Bartholomew s and The Royal London Hospitals, London, UK
Cancer Imaging 8:93-101. 2008..The typical radiological appearances of the commonest conditions are illustrated. The challenges and limitations in the radiological diagnosis of these conditions are discussed...
- Evolution of imaging for abdominal perforationJ P Singh
Department of Radiology, The Whittington Hospital, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:182-8. 2010..However the signs may be subtle or only indirectly related to the site or aetiology of perforation...
- A comparison of the clinical presentation and outcome of focal intestinal perforation and necrotizing enterocolitis in very-low-birth-weight neonatesHiroomi Okuyama
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, 840 Murodo cho, Izumi, Osaka 594 1101, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 18:704-6. 2002There is controversy about the identity of focal intestinal perforation (FIP) and necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC). To elucidate the difference between them, we reviewed their clinical presentations...
- Intestinal perforation by multiple ectopic pancreatic tissues in a neonate with multiple congenital anomaliesKamalesh Pal
Department of Surgery, Maternity and Children s Hospital, Al Ahsa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 29:614-6. 2008..We present a case report of the presence of multiple ectopic pancreatic tissues in the gut causing hemorrhage and perforation in a preterm, extremely low birth weight neonate with multiple congenital anomalies...
- Perforated appendicitis: is laparoscopic operation advisable?H Stöltzing
Department of General, Visceral and Trauma Surgery, Robert Bosch Hospital Stuttgart, Germany
Dig Surg 17:610-616. 2000..A retrospective study was used to compare laparoscopic appendectomy for perforated appendicitis to open operation...
- T-tube ileostomy for intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight neonatesM Rygl
Department of Pediatric Surgery, 2nd Faculty of Medicine and Teaching Hospital in Motol, Institute of Postgraduate Medicine, Charles University, V Uvalu 84, Prague 5, Czech Republic
Pediatr Surg Int 23:685-8. 2007To evaluate the results of use of T-tube ileostomy in selected cases of intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) neonates...
- Results of laparoscopic vs. conventional appendectomy in complicated appendicitisC Wullstein
Chirurgische Klinik, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum-Langendreer, , Bochum, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1700-5. 2001....
- Repeated intestinal perforation caused by an incomplete form of Behçet's syndromeF H Ng
Department of Medicine, Ruttonjee Hospital, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:935-9. 2001..We reported herein a rare case of repeated intestinal perforations caused by an incomplete form of Behçet's syndrome in a southern Chinese man...
- Intestinal perforation from primary intra-abdominal fibromatosisErdal Karagulle
Department of General Surgery, Baskent University, Konya, Turkey
Saudi Med J 28:639-40. 2007
- Gastrointestinal ulceration as a possible side effect of bevacizumab which may herald perforationJ Tol
Department of Medical Oncology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Invest New Drugs 26:393-7. 2008..Given these observations, as well as the relationship between VEGF and mucosal injury healing, we suggest that GI ulcers may occur as a side effect of treatment with bevacizumab and may herald perforation...
- Distinctive distribution of pathogens associated with peritonitis in neonates with focal intestinal perforation compared with necrotizing enterocolitisEric W Coates
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Pediatrics 116:e241-6. 2005Candida and coagulase-negative staphylococci are emerging pathogens associated with focal intestinal perforation (FIP) and necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in neonates...
- Perforation of the colon by invading recurrent gastrointestinal stromal tumors during sunitinib treatmentHoon Hur
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 150 713, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 14:6096-9. 2008..The present case is the first to report that sunitinib, which is administered to treat GIST resistant to imatinib, can cause unexpected colon perforation and subsequent peritonitis...
- Typhoid intestinal perforation under 5 years of ageSebastian O Ekenze
Department of Paediatric Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Ann Trop Paediatr 28:53-8. 2008Typhoid intestinal perforation is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in many developing countries. The peculiar features in children <5 years old need to be recognised in order to improve outcome.
- CT in acute perforated sigmoid diverticulitisChristian Lohrmann
Division of Diagnostic Radiology, Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Radiol 56:78-83. 2005..To assess the value of computed tomography (CT) in patients with acute perforated sigmoid diverticulitis in correlation with the Hinchey classification of perforated diverticular disease...
- Surgical decision making in necrotizing enterocolitis and focal intestinal perforation: predictive value of radiologic findingsAlda L Tam
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:1688-91. 2002..over the appropriate surgical management (peritoneal drainage versus exploratory laparotomy) of advanced necrotizing enterocolitis and focal intestinal perforation, the authors examined the predictive value of radiologic findings.
- ERCP-related perforations: risk factors and managementR Enns
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Endoscopy 34:293-8. 2002..We reviewed all ERCP-related perforations at our institution to determine: a) their incidence; b) clinical outcomes; c) which management approaches gave the best results; and d) which factors predict a perforation...
- Bleeding and perforation after outpatient colonoscopy and their risk factors in usual clinical practiceLinda Rabeneck
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 135:1899-1906, 1906.e1. 2008..Our objectives were to evaluate the rates of bleeding, perforation, and death associated with outpatient colonoscopy and their risk factors in a population-based study...
- Surgical treatment of perforated diverticular disease: evaluation of factors predicting prognosis in the elderlyAdolfo Pisanu
Dipartimento Chirurgico, Materno Infantile e di Scienze dell Immagine, Sezione di Semeiotica Chirurgica, Iniversità Degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
Int Surg 89:35-8. 2004..In the elderly, prognosis is strongly related to duration of symptoms, and treatment delay is caused by late hospitalization because of a low sensibility to the disease symptoms in old people...
- Spontaneous localized intestinal perforation in very-low-birth-weight infants: a distinct clinical entity different from necrotizing enterocolitisWolfgang Pumberger
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Am Coll Surg 195:796-803. 2002Idiopathic spontaneous intestinal perforation (SIP), a distinct clinical entity different from necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), has an increasing prevalence in very-low-birth-weight infants...
- Treatment of perforated diverticulitis with generalized peritonitis: past, present, and futureJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
World J Surg 34:587-93. 2010..The supposed optimal treatment of perforated diverticulitis with generalized peritonitis has changed several times during the last century, but at present is still unclear...
- Radiofrequency thermal ablation of abdominal tumors: lessons learned from complicationsHyunchul Rhim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Hanyang University Hospital, 17 Haengdang dong, Sungdong Ku, 133 792 Seoul, Korea
Radiographics 24:41-52. 2004..The standard of care for decreasing the morbidity of complications consists of prevention (including careful patient selection), early detection, and prompt, appropriate treatment...
- Endoscopic repair of a colonic perforation following polypectomy using an endoclipSonny S Dhalla
Brandon Regional Health Centre, Brandon, Manitoba
Can J Gastroenterol 18:105-6. 2004..Endoscopic repair using an endoclip device for colonic perforation following polypectomy is described. This is the first case report of a repair following a regular polypectomy-induced perforation described in the English literature...
- Typhoid perforation still a common problem: situation in Pakistan in comparison to other countries of low human developmentHafiz Naweed Ahmed
Islamic International Medical College Railway Hospital, Multan
J Pak Med Assoc 56:230-2. 2006..The results of the study were similar to those of Indian studies but better than African studies. The situation warrants attention of health care providers and policy makers...
- Onset and clinical course of bleeding and perforation after outpatient colonoscopy: a population-based studyLinda Rabeneck
Department of Medicine, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 73:520-3. 2011..However, evidence from population-based studies is lacking on the time period over which monitoring is needed to detect these adverse events...
- Risk factors for enteric perforation in patients with typhoid FeverSalih Hosoglu
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Dicle University Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Am J Epidemiol 160:46-50. 2004..10, 1.35; p = 0.001) were significant predictors of perforation. A short duration of symptoms, inadequate antimicrobial therapy, male sex, and leukopenia are independent risk factors for enteric perforation in patients with typhoid fever...
- Small intestinal perforation and necrotizing fasciitis after abdominal liposuctionDevesh Sharma
Department of General Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, 100 North Academy Avenue, Danville, PA, 17822, USA
Aesthetic Plast Surg 30:712-6. 2006..Subsequent peritoneal cavity exploration showed two perforations in the mid ileum with gross peritoneal cavity contamination...
- Management of bevacizumab-associated bowel perforation: a case series and review of the literatureB D Badgwell
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Oncol 19:577-82. 2008..This study examined the various approaches to the management of perforation and the associated outcomes in patients with bevacizumab-associated bowel perforation at a tertiary cancer center...
- In-utero cocaine exposure and neonatal intestinal perforation: a case reportM Young
Department of Pediatrics, District of Columbia General Hospital, Washington 20003, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 87:889-91. 1995This article describes a case of spontaneous neonatal intestinal perforation in a preterm infant with evidence of intrauterine exposure to cocaine...
- Perforation during colonoscopy in endoscopic ambulatory surgical centersLouis Y Korman
Metropolitan Gastroenterology Group, 2021 K St NW T 110, Washington DC 20006, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:554-7. 2003..01% to 0.3% of procedures, but the frequency in ambulatory settings is unknown. This study determined the number of perforations occurring within a network of endoscopic ambulatory surgery centers...
- GI-Safer Formulation of Indomethacin for use in Preterm NeonatesUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..GI tract, which can be manifest in the related diseases Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) and Spontaneous Intestinal Perforation (SIP)...
- GI-Safer Formulation of Indomethacin for use in Preterm NeonatesUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..GI tract, which can be manifest in the related diseases Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) and Spontaneous Intestinal Perforation (SIP)...
- TAM receptor tyrosine kinases in inflammatory bowel diseaseCarla Rothlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..It can progress to serious complications due to severe inflammation, like intestinal perforation, fistula formation and/or toxic megacolon...
- Early Events in Diclofenac EnteropathyMARY MOSLEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..e., inflammation, lesions and blood loss) plus high risks of hospitalization and death secondary to intestinal perforation. Specific Aim I will characterize the hypothesized critical early sites of adduct formation utilizing ..
- Prophylaxis of adrenal insufficiency to prevent CLDKristi Watterberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..If this study confirms the benefits seen in the pilot study, it will result in a significant improvement in health care for premature infants, both by introducing a beneficial new therapy, and by avoiding higher dose dexamethasone. ..
- Paracrine Regulation of IGF-I in the Developing IleumPhillip Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Phase II Study of 44Gy from 131I-81C6 for CNS TumorsDavid Reardon; Fiscal Year: 2004..To further define the toxicity of this approach and Specific Aim 3.To determine the impact of this therapy on quality of life. ..
- Excellence in Clinical Research in Children's SurgeryR Moss; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- RNA editing and its inhibition of HIV-1 replication in human macrophageYoshihiko Hoshino; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will establish if ADAR1 impacts on viral replication and mutation and will be the basis of further investigation on the impact of drug abuse on the expression of ADAR1. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Statistical Methods for Clinical Trials with Twin BirthsMichele Shaffer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, the effects of trial design and analysis need to be quantified and taken into consideration for studies that involve singletons and twin births. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SURGERY FOR NEC IN HUMAN INFANTS-- A RANDOMIZED TRIALR Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..We believe that we have the necessary personnel and resources in place to complete the first randomized controlled trial for neonatal surgery in the United States. ..
- Insulin Resistance and Adenomas of the ColorectumTheodore Levin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..