Summary: Inflammation of the COLONIC DIVERTICULA, generally with abscess formation and subsequent perforation.
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- [Surgical strategies in the treatment of acute diverticular disease--a retrospective analysis of surgical patients at the hospital "Städtisches Klinikum Brandenburg an der Havel"]M Kautzsch
Klinik für Allgemein und Viszeralchirurgie, Städtisches Klinikum Brandenburg a d Havel, Brandenburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:61-7. 2008..The frequency of use of the various therapeutic concepts and their success rates were studied in our clinic...
- Surgical management of acute sigmoid diverticulitisN P Blair
Division of General Surgery, Royal Columbian Hospital, 210 245 E Columbia Street, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada V3L 3W4
Am J Surg 183:525-8. 2002..To determine the frequency of use of resection and primary anastomosis in the management of acute sigmoid diverticulitis at Royal Columbian Hospital...
- Laparoscopic surgery in situs inversus: a literature review and a report of laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for diverticulitis in situs inversusChristian Kobus
Servei de Cirurgia, Hospital de Sant Pau, P Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Langenbecks Arch Surg 389:396-9. 2004..In 25% of these cases, SI is part of the Kartagener syndrome, together with bronchiectasis and chronic sinusitis...
- Retrograde approach to elective laparoscopic sigmoid colon resection for diverticulitisJennifer L Khoe
Department of Surgery, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:595-9. 2008
- The management of complicated diverticulitis and the role of computed tomographyAndreas M Kaiser
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:910-7. 2005..The aim of our study was therefore to define the role of computed tomography (CT) and to analyze its impact on the management of acute diverticulitis...
- Multi-slice spiral CT in routine diagnosis of suspected acute left-sided colonic diverticulitis: a prospective study of 120 patientsA Werner
Institut fur Klinische Radiologie, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Eur Radiol 13:2596-603. 2003..study evaluated the use of multi-slice CT (MSCT) for detection of clinically suspected left-sided colonic diverticulitis with regard to diagnosis, complications and alternative diagnoses...
- Computed tomography in the imaging of colonic diverticulitisO Buckley
Department of Surgery, Adelaide and Meath Incorporating the National Children s Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland
Clin Radiol 59:977-83. 2004b>Colonic diverticulitis occurs when diverticula within the colon become infected or inflamed. It is becoming an increasingly common cause for hospital admission, particularly in western society, where it is linked to a low fibre diet...
- Diverticulitis in young patients: is resection after a single attack always warranted?James Guzzo
Department of Surgery, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1187-90; discussion 1190-1. 2004....
- Retroperitoneal necrotizing fasciitis secondary to colonic diverticulitisMustafa Secil
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
J Emerg Med 34:95-7. 2008
- Colonic diverticulitis: impact of imaging on surgical management -- a prospective study of 542 patientsP Ambrosetti
Clinic of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 12:1145-9. 2002..of the CT and the water-soluble contrast enema (CE) in the diagnosis and the severity of acute left-colonic diverticulitis, and to recognize the impact of CT during the acute phase and after a first acute episode successfully ..
- Laparoscopic colectomy for recurrent and complicated diverticulitis: a prospective study of 396 patientsO Schwandner
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Schleswig Holstein, Luebeck Campus, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 389:97-103. 2004..It was the aim of this prospective study to evaluate the outcome of laparoscopic surgery for diverticular disease...
- Cost structure of laparoscopic and open sigmoid colectomy for diverticular disease: similarities and differencesAnthony J Senagore
Department of Colorectal Surgery and the Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 45:485-90. 2002..The purpose of this study was to compare the direct cost structure of elective open and laparoscopic resection for sigmoid diverticulitis...
- Laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy after acute diverticulitis: when to operate?Subramanian Natarajan
Department of Surgery, University of Winsconsin Medical School, and Meriter Hospital, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Surgery 136:725-30. 2004..We sought to evaluate the relationship between the time interval from an acute episode of diverticulitis to laparoscopic colectomy and surgical outcomes...
- The natural history diverticular disease: is there a role for elective colectomy?K Somasekar
Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, Mid Glamorgan
J R Coll Surg Edinb 47:481-2, 484. 2002..The natural history of colonic diverticular disease is unclear leading to a debate on the value of elective colectomy in preventing complications of the disease...
- Restoration of bowel continuity after surgery for acute perforated diverticulitis: should Hartmann's procedure be considered a one-stage procedure?J Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 11:619-24. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess differences in the rate of stomal reversal after HP and PA with DI and to evaluate factors associated with postreversal morbidity in patients operated for acute perforated diverticulitis...
- Surgical treatment of perforated diverticular disease: evaluation of factors predicting prognosis in the elderlyAdolfo Pisanu
Dipartimento Chirurgico, Materno Infantile e di Scienze dell Immagine, Sezione di Semeiotica Chirurgica, Iniversità Degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
Int Surg 89:35-8. 2004..in patients over 70 years of age that were operated on for generalized peritonitis caused by perforated colonic diverticulitis. A retrospective study in 22 patients was performed: demographic data, American Society of Anaesthesiology ..
- Spectrum of disease and outcome of complicated diverticular diseaseAnil M Bahadursingh
Department of Surgery, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center, St Louis, Mo 63110 0250, USA
Am J Surg 186:696-701. 2003..The presentation, investigations performed, and management are variable. Our objectives were to assess the presentation, extent of disease, and treatment of a cohort of patients with colonic diverticulitis.
- One-stage sigmoid colon resection for perforated sigmoid diverticulitis (Hinchey stages III and IV)Sven Richter
Clinic of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of the Saarland, Kirrberger Strasse, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
World J Surg 30:1027-32. 2006..We evaluated the outcome of patients with perforated sigmoid diverticulitis Hinchey III/IV undergoing one-stage colon resection and primary anastomosis without protective colostomy...
- Laparoscopic colectomy vs. open colectomy for sigmoid diverticular diseaseAmit Dwivedi
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 45:1309-14; discussion 1314-5. 2002..Our goal was to compare laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy open sigmoid colectomy for simple sigmoid diverticular disease, to assess whether it can be done safely and whether the proposed advantages could be realized...
- Right colonic diverticulitis: MR appearanceL P J Cobben
Department of Radiology, Medisch Centrum Haaglanden, Burgemeester Banninglaan 1, 2262BA Leidschendam, The Netherlands
Abdom Imaging 28:794-8. 2003We evaluated the magnetic resonance (MR) features of right colonic diverticulitis.
- Determinants of recurrence after sigmoid resection for uncomplicated diverticulitisKlaus Thaler
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Boulevard, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 46:385-8. 2003..This study aimed to evaluate the impact of surgery-associated variables on recurrence rates after sigmoid resection for diverticulitis...
- What proportion of patients with an ostomy (for diverticulitis) get reversed?Melinda A Maggard
Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Surg 70:928-31. 2004..Our study shows that although the majority of patients had their ostomies reversed, over 35 per cent did not at 4-year follow-up. Further studies are required to evaluate how this rate may be improved...
- Clinical practice. DiverticulitisDanny O Jacobs
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, and Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2057-66. 2007
- Intestinal occlusion caused by Rosai-Dorfman disease mimicking colonic diverticulitisElodie Long
Laboratory of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, 30 Avenue de la Voie Romaine, Louis Pasteur Hospital, 06002 Nice, France
Pathol Res Pract 203:233-7. 2007..We present a case of RDD manifesting as an intestinal occlusion caused by colonic diverticulitis. The patient was a 79-year-old man with myelodysplasia, who presented with fever, abdominal pain, and ..
- Laparoscopic peritoneal lavage for generalized peritonitis due to perforated diverticulitisE Myers
Institute for Clinical Outcomes Research and Education at Saint Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Br J Surg 95:97-101. 2008..The standard approach to generalized peritonitis due to perforated diverticulitis involves open surgery and diversion of faecal content. This study assessed the feasibility of laparoscopic peritoneal lavage...
- Conservative treatment for patients with acute right colonic diverticulitisHyoun Jong Moon
Department of Surgery, Myoungji Hospital, Kwandong University College of Medicine, Goyang, Korea
Am Surg 73:1237-41. 2007Little is known about the natural history of right colonic diverticulitis treated with conservative management...
- Operative strategies for diverticular peritonitis: a decision analysis between primary resection and anastomosis versus Hartmann's proceduresVasilis A Constantinides
Imperial College London, Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, St Mary s Hospital London, UK
Ann Surg 245:94-103. 2007..To compare primary resection and anastomosis (PRA) with and without defunctioning stoma to Hartmann's procedure (HP) as the optimal operative strategy for patients presenting with Hinchey stage III-IV, perforated diverticulitis...
- Long-term experience with the laparoscopic approach to perforated diverticulitis plus generalized peritonitisMorris E Franklin
Texas Endosurgery Institute, 4242 East Southcross, Suite 1, San Antonio, TX 78222, USA
World J Surg 32:1507-11. 2008..In this article, we report our experience of a laparoscopic peritoneal lavage technique with delayed definitive resection when necessary...
- The metabolism of mesalamine and its possible use in colonic diverticulitis as an anti-inflammatory agentHillel D Cohen
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Crohn s and Colitis Center of New Jersey, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:S150-4. 2006..In this review, we will briefly discuss the development of 5-ASA releasing drugs, their metabolism, side effects, indications, mechanisms of action, and the rationale for the clinical use of mesalamine in colonic diverticulitis.
- Two-stage totally minimally invasive approach for acute complicated diverticulitisD Mutter
IRCAD, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Colorectal Dis 8:501-5. 2006..Potential advantages include the avoidance of a laparotomy, stoma and local infections at the origin of dehiscence and incisional hernias. We evaluated this approach in a selected group of patients...
- Primary resection with anastomosis vs. Hartmann's procedure in nonelective surgery for acute colonic diverticulitis: a systematic reviewVasilis A Constantinides
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Department of Surgical Oncology and Technology, St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 49:966-81. 2006This study compares primary resection with anastomosis and Hartmann's procedure in an adult population with acute colonic diverticulitis.
- Incidence of perforated diverticulitis and risk factors for death in a UK populationC R Morris
School of Medicine Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Br J Surg 95:876-81. 2008..Perforated diverticulitis (PD) remains a serious acute abdominal condition. The aims of this study were to measure its incidence in a large UK population and to identify factors affecting outcomes...
- Risk of emergency colectomy and colostomy in patients with diverticular diseaseDaniel A Anaya
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Arch Surg 140:681-5. 2005..Patients with diverticulitis are at a lifetime risk for emergency colectomy and colostomy. Age and recurrence characteristics can serve to predict the risk for these adverse outcomes...
- The out-patient management of patients with acute mild-to-moderate colonic diverticulitisA Mizuki
Department of Internal Medicine, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:889-97. 2005There are no management criteria for optimum out-patient care in mild-to-moderate acute colonic diverticulitis.
- Laparoscopic peritoneal lavage for perforated colonic diverticulitis: a systematic reviewB R Toorenvliet
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 12:862-7. 2010..This systematic review aimed to evaluate the efficacy, morbidity and mortality of laparoscopic peritoneal lavage for patients with perforated diverticulitis...
- Emergency surgery for colonic diverticulitis: differences between right-sided and left-sided lesionsW L Law
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Hong Kong, PRC
Int J Colorectal Dis 16:280-4. 2001..Many of the patients are operated with the presumptive diagnosis of appendicitis. This study compared the results of emergency surgery for patients with right-sided and left-sided diverticulitis...
- Sonography of acute right side colonic diverticulitisY H Chou
Department of Radiology, Veterans General Hospital, and School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Surg 181:122-7. 2001..To describe the prevalence and sonographic findings and ultrasound diagnostic accuracy of the right side colonic diverticulitis in patients having right lower abdominal pain with indeterminate nature...
- Surgical diverticulitis: treatment optionsM A Maggard
Department of Surgery, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, Sylmar, California 91342, USA
Am Surg 67:1185-9. 2001..We have shown that resection with primary anastomosis for acute diverticulitis--even in selected patients requiring urgent operation--can be safely performed during the same hospital admission with a low complication rate...
- Primary vs. secondary anastomosis after sigmoid colon resection for perforated diverticulitis (Hinchey Stage III and IV): a prospective outcome and cost analysisM K Schilling
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 44:699-703; discussion 703-5. 2001..A one-stage procedure is considerably cheaper and patients are rehabilitated faster and to a higher percentage...
- Acute colonic diverticulitis: visualization in magnetic resonance imagingJ T Heverhagen
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Magn Reson Imaging 19:1275-7. 2001The incidence of acute colonic diverticulitis (ACD) is increasing. To allow rational therapeutic decisions to be made, a timely diagnosis is required...
- [Quality of life assessment after surgery for diverticulitis - a follow-up study]U J Roblick
Chirurgische Universitatsklinik, Lubeck
Zentralbl Chir 127:31-5. 2002..Differences in health related life quality to the open-conventional approach were evaluated in a matched pair analysis (age, gender, Hinchey-Stage, Type of Surgery) using a validated quality of life instrument...
- Long-term follow-up after first acute episode of sigmoid diverticulitis: is surgery mandatory?: a prospective study of 118 patientsR C Chautems
Clinic of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 45:962-6. 2002..This study was designed to evaluate the long-term natural history of sigmoid diverticulitis in patients treated nonoperatively after a first acute episode and to assess the role of elective colectomy...
- Laparoscopic colectomy for diverticulitis is not associated with increased morbidity when compared with non-diverticular diseaseO Schwandner
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:165-72. 2005..It was the aim of this prospective study to compare the outcome of laparoscopic sigmoid and anterior resection for diverticulitis and non-diverticular disease...
- Image-guided conservative management of right colonic diverticulitisSun Jin Park
Department of Surgery, Kyung Hee University School of Medicine, Seoul 130 701, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 15:5838-42. 2009To study the clinical outcomes of medical therapy in patients with right colonic diverticulitis.
- Graded compression ultrasonography and computed tomography in acute colonic diverticulitis: meta-analysis of test accuracyWytze Laméris
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 18:2498-511. 2008..accuracy of graded compression ultrasonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) in diagnosing acute colonic diverticulitis (ACD) in suspected patients...
- Laparoscopic left colon resection for diverticular diseaseG Trebuchet
Centre de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Pontchaillou, rue Henri Le Guilloux, 35033 Rennes, France
Surg Endosc 16:18-21. 2002..The aim of this study was to review our experience with laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy for diverticular disease...
- The spectrum of segmental colitis associated with diverticulosisI E Koutroubakis
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:28-32. 2005..Distinguishing this condition from inflammatory bowel disease may be difficult. Our aim was to evaluate the epidemiological and clinical characteristics of SCAD in our area...
- Colovesical fistula: not a contraindication to elective laparoscopic colectomyChristine M Bartus
Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut, Farmington, Connecticut
Dis Colon Rectum 48:233-6. 2005..The advent of hand-assisted laparoscopy has allowed repair of a diverticular fistula to be technically feasible laparoscopically. We present our experience with laparoscopic colectomy in patients with diverticular fistulas...
- The diagnostic criteria for right colonic diverticulitis: prospective evaluation of 100 patientsIn Kyu Lee
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Int J Colorectal Dis 23:1151-7. 2008In this study, we evaluate prospective diagnostic criteria and propose a clinical scoring system for the evaluation of patients suspected to have right colonic diverticulitis (RCD) prospectively.
- Outcome after emergency surgery for acute perforated diverticulitis in 200 casesJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, MCRZ St Clara Hospital and Zuider Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 24:361-6. 2007..The ideal treatment is still controversial. The object of this study was to compare patients with perforated diverticulitis treated either by resection with primary anastomosis (PA) or Hartmann's procedure (HP)...
- [Surgery for complicated colonic diverticulitis. Our experience]R Fornaro
Dipartimento di Chirurgia, Cattedra di Semeiotica Chirurgica, Universita degli Studi di Genova
G Chir 26:143-52. 2005....
- French multicentre prospective observational study of laparoscopic versus open colectomy for sigmoid diverticular diseaseA Alves
Department of Digestive Surgery, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris, Cedex 10, France
Br J Surg 92:1520-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare in-hospital morbidity and mortality rates after elective laparoscopic and open colorectal surgery for sigmoid diverticular disease (SDD)...
- Acute colonic diverticulitis: a systematic review of diagnostic accuracyG Liljegren
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Orebro, and Centre for Assessment of Medical Technology in Orebro, Orebro, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 9:480-8. 2007To appraise the literature on the diagnosis of acute colonic diverticulitis by ultrasound (US), computed tomography (CT), barium enema (BE) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Long-term outcome in 445 patients after diagnosis of diverticular diseaseA M Moreno
Department of Surgery K, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Colorectal Dis 9:464-8. 2007..To describe the long-term outcome after primary diagnosis of diverticular disease (DD) with respect to demographics, lifestyle, severity of disease and primary treatment...
- [Laparoscopic resection with primary anastomosis in Hinchey stages I and II without previous abscess drainage]T C Bottger
Klinik für Viszeral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Zentrum für minimalinvasive Chirurgie, Klinikum Bremerhaven Reinkenheide, Bremerhaven, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:454, 456-60. 2007..Therefore it has to be decided whether an early operation without prior interventional drainage can attain results similar to those of the elective operation...
- [Percutaneous drainage of perisigmoid abscesses of diverticular origin]A Hamy
Clinique Chirurgicale 1, hôpital R et G Laënnec 44093 Nantes, France
Ann Chir 126:133-7. 2001..The aim of this multicentric retrospective study was to report the results on the percutaneous drainage of perisigmoid abscesses during acute sigmoid diverticulitis in 12 patients...
- Laparoscopic and open surgery for right colonic diverticulitisIn Kyu Lee
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Am Surg 76:486-91. 2010..and effectiveness of laparoscopic surgery by comparing laparoscopic and conventional surgery of right colonic diverticulitis (RCD)...
- Nonoperative management of right colonic diverticulitis using radiologic evaluationH C Park
Department of Surgery, Hallym University College of Medicine, Anyang, Korea
Colorectal Dis 12:105-8. 2010..have been conducted, nonoperative management may be the mainstay of therapy for uncomplicated right colonic diverticulitis. With increasing use of radiological evaluation for diverticulitis, the status of the disease is becoming ..
- A comparison of laparoscopic, hand-assist and open sigmoid resection in the treatment of diverticular diseaseJoel Anderson
Ferguson Blodgett Digestive Disease Institute, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Am J Surg 193:400-3; discussion 403. 2007..However, in difficult cases, hand-assisted instrumentation has facilitated LAP. We examined the impact of hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery (HALS) on the treatment of sigmoid diverticular disease...
- Surgery for right-sided colonic diverticulitis: results of a 10-year-observation periodP Hildebrand
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538, Lubeck, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 392:143-7. 2007In contrast to sigmoid diverticular disease, right colonic diverticulitis is a rare disease in Western countries. The clinical presentation is often similar to acute appendicitis.
- Diverticulitis: a progressive disease? Do multiple recurrences predict less favorable outcomes?Jennifer R Chapman
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Surg 243:876-830; discussion 880-3. 2006..Practice parameters recommend elective resection after 2 episodes of diverticulitis to reduce this morbidity and mortality...
- The overlap of inflammatory bowel disease and diverticular diseaseMark A Peppercorn
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Rabb 420, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:S8-10. 2004..Finally, an apparently distinct form of segmental colitis associated with sigmoid diverticula has been described further contributing to the overlap of inflammatory bowel disease and diverticular disease...
- Laparoscopic colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitis in obese and nonobese patients: a prospective comparative studyJ J Tuech
Department of Digestive Surgery, Angers University Hospital, 4 rue Larrey, 49000 Angers, France
Surg Endosc 15:1427-30. 2001..The aim of this prospective comparative study was to assess the outcome of laparoscopic colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitis in normal-weight, overweight, and obese patients...
- Colonic diverticulitis diagnosed by computed tomography in the EDShu Huei Shen
Department of Radiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Am J Emerg Med 20:551-7. 2002The purpose of this study is to evaluate the application of computed tomography (CT) in the diagnosis of colonic diverticulitis in the emergency department (ED)...
- Transverse colon diverticulitis simulating inguinal hernia strangulation: a first reportElie K Yahchouchy-Chouillard
Department of Digestive Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Poissy, France
Dig Surg 19:408-9; discussion 409. 2002..Strangulation is the most serious complication of inguinal hernia. Diverticulitis, a common condition, is usually localized in the left colon. The association of complicated inguinal hernia and diverticulitis is rare...
- Accuracy of multidetector computed tomography in differentiating primary epiploic appendagitis from left acute colonic diverticulitis associated with secondary epiploic appendagitisAurélie Jalaguier
Paris Saint Joseph Hospital, Paris Cedex 14, France
Emerg Radiol 17:51-6. 2010The objectives of this study are to evaluate the prevalence of left acute colonic diverticulitis (LACD) associated with secondary epiploic appendagitis (SEA) detected by computed tomography (CT); to describe CT features that distinguish ..
- Acute colonic diverticulitis in patients under 50 years of ageS Biondo
Department of Surgery, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Br J Surg 89:1137-41. 2002..This study reports on the management of acute diverticulitis with reference to the virulence and outcome of the disease with respect to age...
- [Clinical characteristics of colonic diverticulitis in Koreans]Heung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, 50 Irwon dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 42:363-8. 2003..The aim of this study was to compare diverticulitis with asymptomatic diverticulosis and to compare the clinical characteristics of right-sided diverticulitis with those of left-sided diverticulitis...
- The role of ultrasound in the diagnosis, management and evolutive prognosis of acute left-sided colonic diverticulitis: a review of 208 patientsTomás Ripollés
Department of Radiology, Hospital Universitario Dr Peset, 90 Gaspar Aguilar Avenue, 46017 Valencia, Spain
Eur Radiol 13:2587-95. 2003..Severity is also related to the appearance of posterior complications in patients undergoing conservative management, although only in younger patients (<50 years)...
- Toward therapeutic guidelines for patients with acute right colonic diverticulitisKo Komuta
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 7 1, Sakamoto, Ngasaki 852 8102, Japan
Am J Surg 187:233-7. 2004At present, little information is available on the outcome of medical therapy for patients with acute right colonic diverticulitis, and this has meant a gap in constructing guidelines for its treatment.
- Laparoscopic surgery for inflammatory complications of acute sigmoid diverticulitisA P Fine
Department of Surgery, Jefferson Hospital, Clairton, Pennsylvania 15025, USA
JSLS 5:233-5. 2001..We concluded that given sufficient experience in minimally invasive colon surgery, surgeons can manage acute inflammatory complications of sigmoid diverticulitis laparoscopically with potential benefit to the patient...
- Acute colonic diverticulitis in a community-based hospital: CT evaluation in 138 patientsRathachai Kaewlai
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Emerg Radiol 13:171-9. 2007..of this research is to retrospectively analyze computed tomography (CT) findings of patients with acute colonic diverticulitis presented to a community-based hospital...
- [Sigmoid diverticulitis: when and to whom should an elective colectomy be offered?]P Ambrosetti
Ann Chir 127:413-5. 2002
- Laparoscopic reversal of Hartmann's rectosigmoidectomyS Slawik
Department of Colorectal Surgery, North Bristol NHS Trust, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:81-3. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyse the outcome of laparoscopic restoration of bowel continuity post Hartmann's procedure...
- Diverticular perforation masquerading as maxillary sinusitisMichael C Hollingshead
Department of Radiology, CB 7510, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7510, USA
Emerg Radiol 13:83-5. 2006..Findings of subcutaneous craniofacial emphysema eventually led to the diagnosis of a perforated sigmoid diverticulum with abscess...
- Laparoscopic colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitis: a prospective study in the elderlyJ J Tuech
Dept of Digestive Surgery, Angers University Hospital, 4 rue Larrey, 49000 Angers, France
Hepatogastroenterology 48:1045-7. 2001....
- Elective laparoscopic-assisted colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitisVincenzo Neri
University of Foggia, Division of General Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti Hospital, Foggia, Italy
JSLS 10:66-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of laparoscopic-assisted sigmoid colectomy for diverticulitis and to assess its postoperative advantages...
- Functional results following elective laparoscopic sigmoidectomy after CT-proven diagnosis of acute diverticulitis evaluation of 43 patients and review of the literaturePatrick Ambrosetti
Clinique Générale Beaulieu, Geneva, Switzerland
J Gastrointest Surg 11:767-72. 2007..After elective laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for CT-proven diverticulitis, a great majority of patients are very satisfied with their postoperative general comfort...
- [Laparoscopy-assisted colorectal resections: morbidity, conversions, outcomes of a decade]U Hildebrandt
, , Chirurgische Klinik, , Homburg/Saar
Zentralbl Chir 126:323-32. 2001..Disadvantages arise from conversions. Experience of the surgeon is a strong parameter for a successful outcome. Results of ongoing studies are awaited for malignant indications...
- Portal vein thrombosis after laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy for diverticulitis: report of a caseJorge Baixauli
Department of Colorectal Surgery A 30, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 46:550-3. 2003....
- [Gas gangrene of the abdominal wall due to underlying GI pathology: seven cases]O Monneuse
Service d Urgences Chirurgicales Viscérales, Hôpital Edouard Herriot Lyon
J Chir (Paris) 144:307-12. 2007....
- Polybacterial pyomyositis following laparoscopic colectomy for complicated diverticulosisHang Korng Ea
Service de médecine interne et rhumatologie, Groupe Hospitalier Diaconesses Croix Saint Simon, 125 rue d Avron, 75020 Paris, France
Joint Bone Spine 74:653-5. 2007..We report a case of diffuse subacute muscle infection caused by enteric bacteria, diagnosed two months after laparoscopic colectomy for a sigmoid abscess and successfully treated with antibiotics alone...
- Early vs. delayed elective laparoscopic-assisted colectomy in sigmoid diverticulitis: timing of surgery in relation to the acute attackUrs Zingg
Department of Surgery, Triemli Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1911-7. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate the influence of timing on morbidity, conversion rate, histologic findings, and costs...
- Laparoscopic sigmoid resections for diverticulitis complicated by abscesses or fistulasChristina Zapletal
Department of Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1515-21. 2007..Therefore, we analysed our results of laparoscopic sigmoidectomies concerning intraoperative course, conversion rate, morbidity and hospital stay in RD and CD...
- [Vesicosigmoidal fistula caused by diverculitis: report of cases and literature review in Japan]Nobuyuki Hinata
Department of Urology, Shinko Hospital
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 98:826-31. 2007..In Japan, patients suffering vesicosigmoidal fistula caused by diverculitis is increasing. Our aim is to report our seven cases and the literature review related with this disease...
- Hepatic portal venous gas from perforated sigmoid diverticulitisAnil Duggal
Department of Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre University Hospital, London, ON, Canada
Can J Surg 50:E19-20. 2007
- Bilateral brachial plexus injury during laparoscopic sigmoid colectomyPeter Chin
Department of Surgery, Middlemore Hospital, Otahuhu, Auckland, New Zealand
ANZ J Surg 73:86-8. 2003
- Advantages of laparoscopic colectomy in older patientsAnthony J Senagore
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Surg 138:252-6. 2003..We compared short-term outcomes in age-matched cohorts of patients undergoing laparoscopic vs open segmental colectomy managed with the Controlled Rehabilitation With Early Ambulation and Diet program...
- [Perioperative management of a patient with an acquired von Willebrand syndrome]P Clapson
Département d anesthésie et de réanimation, hôpital d instruction des armées Percy, 101, avenue H Barbusse, 92141 Clamart, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:86-9. 2008..This pathology is rare, but is important to diagnose because of the possible haemorrhagic complications encountered. We describe the main therapeutic options available today to prevent bleeding during major surgery...
- Prevalence of perforated sigmoid diverticulitis is increasingJyrki Makela
Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Dis Colon Rectum 45:955-61. 2002..This study presents our experience concerning the outcome of 133 patients admitted to a university hospital for diverticular perforation during a 15-year period...
- Laparoscopic treatment for acute diverticular diseaseGiusto Pignata
San Polo Hospital, Monfalcone, Italy
Acta Chir Iugosl 53:19-22. 2006..Most patients remain asymptomatic, but, about 10-20% develop complications requiring surgery. Colonic diverticulitis represents an acute bowel inflammation, in many cases, confined only to the sigmoid and descending colon...
- Laparoscopic two-stage left colonic resection for patients with peritonitis caused by acute diverticulitisElie Chouillard
Department of General and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal, 10, rue du Champ Gaillard, Poissy, France
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1157-63. 2007..However, because of technical difficulties and the theoretic risk of poorly controlled sepsis, laparoscopic Hartmann's procedure has been seldom reported for such patients...
- [Results of sigma resection in acute complicated diverticulitis : method and time of surgical intervention]J P Ritz
Chirurgische Klinik I, Abteilung für Allgemein, Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Deutschland
Chirurg 79:753-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to check the results of laparoscopic sigmoid resection for sigmoid diverticular disease with respect to stage of inflammation and time of surgical intervention...
- Letter 2: French multicentre prospective observational study of laparoscopic versus open colectomy for sigmoid diverticular disease (Br J Surg 2005; 92: 1520-1525)T Ramalingam
Br J Surg 93:504. 2006
- Emergency laparoscopic management of perforated sigmoid diverticulitis: a promising alternative to more radical proceduresFrederic Bretagnol
Department of Digestive Surgery, Trousseau Hospital, Tours, France
J Am Coll Surg 206:654-7. 2008..We argue that laparoscopy may be beneficial in such patients with peritonitis in terms of operative results and could facilitate later surgical management...
- A laparoscopic approach to the surgical management of enterocutaneous fistula in a wound healing by secondary intentionG D Garcia
Department of Surgery, Tripler Army Medical Center, 1 Jarrett White Road, Honolulu, HI 96859, USA
Surg Endosc 18:554-6. 2004..When combined with lateral component separation, it may result in reduction of inadvertent enterotomies and optimal management of the wound without the use of prosthetic mesh...
- Brain abscess as a rare complication of acute sigmoid diverticulitisM Valero
Tech Coloproctol 12:76-8. 2008
- Cervical surgical emphysema: a rare presentation of a sigmoid colon retroperitoneal diverticular perforationS Basu
Department of Surgery, Leighton Hospital, Crewe, Cheshire, UK
Int J Clin Pract 56:222. 2002..We describe a case successfully treated by surgery. Patients presenting with subcutaneous emphysema with negative thoracic findings should be scrutinised for signs of retroperitoneal hollow viscus perforation to improve their outcome...
- Laparoscopic procedures as a risk factor of deep venous thrombosis, superficial ascending thrombophlebitis and pulmonary embolism--case report and review of the literatureR G Holzheimer
Ambulatory Surgery Sauerlach, Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 9:417-22. 2004..In many patients venous thrombosis may not be recognized or it appears when the patient is already discharged...
- [Impact of obesity on postoperative results of elective laparoscopic colectomy in sigmoid diverticulitis: a prospective study]J J Tuech
, CHU Angers, rue Larrey, 49000 Angers, France
Ann Chir 126:996-1000. 2001..Duration of hospital stay was similar in the three groups. CONCLUSION: Data from the present study suggest that laparoscopic colectomy for sigmoid diverticulitis can be applied safely to overweighted and obese patients...
- [Sense or nonsense of a prophylactic drainage after laparoscopic colorectal surgery - a prospective study]S Hermeneit
Klinik für Viszeral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Zentrum für minimalinvasive Chirurgie
Zentralbl Chir 133:250-4. 2008..Especially against the background of "fast-track" surgery, this study aimed at an analysis of the influence of drainage on the patient's outcome in elective laparoscopic colorectal surgery...
- THYROID HORMONE AND THE GUTRichard A Hodin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY SHARED RESOURCE LABORATORYLaura Lamps; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Insulin Resistance and Adenomas of the ColorectumTheodore Levin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Outcomes and Care Practices in Lower Intestinal BleedingLisa Strate; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will also provide the skills and data that are critical for planning future investigations. ..