Genomes and Genes
Summary: An abdominal hernia with an external bulge in the GROIN region. It can be classified by the location of herniation. Indirect inguinal hernias occur through the internal inguinal ring. Direct inguinal hernias occur through defects in the ABDOMINAL WALL (transversalis fascia) in Hesselbach's triangle. The former type is commonly seen in children and young adults; the latter in adults.
Publications347 found, 100 shown here
- Perioperative outcomes and complications of open vs laparoscopic extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair in a mature surgical practiceE R Winslow
Department of Surgery and Institute for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Surg Endosc 18:221-7. 2004....
- Watchful waiting vs repair of inguinal hernia in minimally symptomatic men: a randomized clinical trialRobert J Fitzgibbons
Department of Surgery, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb, USA
JAMA 295:285-92. 2006Many men with inguinal hernia have minimal symptoms. Whether deferring surgical repair is a safe and acceptable option has not been assessed.
- Single-port laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair with the TriPort system: initial experienceS Agrawal
Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit MATTU, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XX, UK
Surg Endosc 24:952-6. 2010Since the early 1990s, the laparoscopic approach to inguinal hernia repair using three ports has gained increased popularity worldwide...
- Effect of single-dose prophylactic ampicillin and sulbactam on wound infection after tension-free inguinal hernia repair with polypropylene mesh: the randomized, double-blind, prospective trialM A Yerdel
Department of General Surgery, Ankara University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Surg 233:26-33. 2001To assess the value of single-dose, intravenous, prophylactic ampicillin and sulbactam (AS) in the prevention of wound infections during open prosthetic inguinal hernia repair by a double-blind, prospective, randomized trial.
- Current approaches to inguinal hernia repairSamir S Awad
Michael E DeBakey Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Operative Care Line, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, VA 112, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Surg 188:9S-16S. 2004The repair of a simple inguinal hernia or a complicated incisional hernia no longer involves just the sewing together of a defect in the musculature...
- Pain and functional impairment 1 year after inguinal herniorrhaphy: a nationwide questionnaire studyM Bay-Nielsen
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Surg 233:1-7. 2001..To determine the incidence of groin pain 1 year after inguinal herniorrhaphy and to assess the influence of chronic groin pain on function...
- Laparoscopic extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair versus open mesh repair: a prospective randomized controlled trialBodil Andersson
Department of Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Surgery 133:464-72. 2003..This study was designed to compare an open tension-free technique (Lichtenstein repair) with a laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal hernia repair (TEP)...
- Chronic postoperative pain: the case of inguinal herniorrhaphyE Aasvang
Section of Surgical Pathophysiology, The Juliane Marie Centre, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 95:69-76. 2005
- Laparoscopic herniorrhaphy in childrenC M Gorsler
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Medical Center of Luebeck, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:571-3. 2003..We report our clinical experience with 403 inguinal hernias in 279 children. They were treated via a purely laparoscopic approach using 2-mm instruments, obviating the need for a groin incision...
- Surgical management of inguinal herniaBrian Reuben
Department of Surgery, Division of General Surgery, Salt Lake City VA Healthcare System and University of Utah School of Medicine, 30 North 1900 East, Room 3B110, SOM, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Adv Surg 40:299-317. 2006..Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is a safe alternative to open repair for inguinal hernias but is much more operator dependent...
- The frequency of apneas in premature infants after inguinal hernia repair: do they need overnight monitoring in the intensive care unit?James J Murphy
Department of Pediatric Surgery, BC Children s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6H 3V4
J Pediatr Surg 43:865-8. 2008Postoperative apneas are reported in up to 49% of premature infants undergoing anesthesia for inguinal hernia repair. Our current practice is to monitor all of these babies in the intensive care unit (ICU) overnight after surgery...
- Comparison of recurrence with lightweight composite polypropylene mesh and heavyweight mesh in laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair: an audit of 1,232 repairsD Akolekar
Department of Surgery, Royal Infirmary Edinburgh, 51, Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, EH16 4SA, UK
Hernia 12:39-43. 2008..agreed to convert to a lightweight, composite mesh (Ultrapro-Ethicon) for totally extraperitoneal (TEP) inguinal hernia surgery...
- Disability and chronic pain after open mesh and laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairMichael Bozuk
Department of Surgery, Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara, California 93102, USA
Am Surg 69:839-41. 2003Proponents of laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair maintain that the associated costs and risks are offset by faster recovery and less postoperative pain...
- Inguinal hernia repair: local or general anaesthesia?P Sanjay
Department of Surgery, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:497-503. 2007..hospitals with a dedicated hernia service (Plymouth Hernia Service) have achieved remarkable results for inguinal hernia repair with the use of local anaesthesia and set the standards for groin hernia surgery...
- Inguinal bladder hernia masking bowel ischemiaPeter C Fisher
Department of Urology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0330, USA
Urology 63:175-6. 2004..of the bladder outside of the pelvis by way of the inguinal canal represents an infrequent presentation of an inguinal hernia that rarely causes urinary tract obstruction...
- Chronic pain 5 years after randomized comparison of laparoscopic and Lichtenstein inguinal hernia repairA Eklund
Department of Surgery, Central Hospital, Västerås Sweden
Br J Surg 97:600-8. 2010Chronic postoperative pain is a major drawback of inguinal hernia repair. This study compared the frequency of chronic pain after laparoscopic (totally extraperitoneal patch, TEP) and open (Lichtenstein) repairs.
- Laparoscopic total extraperitoneal (TEP) inguinal hernia repair: overcoming the learning curvePawanindra Lal
Department of Surgery, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi, India 110002
Surg Endosc 18:642-5. 2004Total extraperitoneal (TEP) laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is preferred to the transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) repair since it preserves peritoneal integrity...
- Risk factors for chronic pain after inguinal hernia repairR Dennis
Department Upper GI Surgery, West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:218-20. 2007Chronic postoperative pain after inguinal hernia repair has an incidence of 0.7-36.7%...
- Inguinal hernia in the 21st century: an evidence-based reviewR Douglas Matthews
Salt Lake City VA Healthcare System and University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Curr Probl Surg 45:261-312. 2008
- Randomized clinical trial of non-mesh versus mesh repair of primary inguinal herniaW W Vrijland
Departments of Surgery, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 89:293-7. 2002The optimum method for inguinal hernia repair has not yet been determined. The recurrence rate for non-mesh methods varies between 0.2 and 33 per cent. The value of tension-free repair with prosthetic mesh remains to be confirmed...
- Incarcerated vermiform appendix in a left-sided inguinal herniaS Breitenstein
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Winterthur, 8401 Winterthur, Switzerland
Hernia 9:100-2. 2005We report here of a patient with an incarcerated vermiform appendix occurring in a left-sided indirect inguinal hernia. Occasionally, appendices are found in a hernial sac; however, the finding of an incarcerated vermiform appendix in an ..
- Laparoscopic injection of dermabond tissue adhesive for the repair of inguinal hernia: short- and long-term follow-upGo Miyano
Department of Pediatric General and Urogenital Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 39:1867-70. 2004Is laparoscopic injection of 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive (Dermabond: Db) into the inguinal hernia sac (IHS) effective for inguinal hernia repair?
- Liposarcoma of the spermatic cord masquerading as an incarcerated inguinal herniaJ Matthew Hassan
Department of Urology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2765, USA
Am Surg 69:163-5. 2003..e., high-grade tumor, lymphatic invasion, inadequate margin, or recurrence). The current literature, diagnosis, and management of malignant tumors of the spermatic cord are reviewed...
- Long-term pain after inguinal hernia repair in a population-based cohort; risk factors and interference with daily activitiesMaija L Kalliomäki
Institute of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eur J Pain 12:214-25. 2008In the Swedish Hernia Register 2834 inguinal hernia repairs in 2583 patients were registered in the county of Uppsala 1998-2004...
- Risk factors for long-term pain after hernia surgeryUlf Fränneby
Department of Surgery, Sodersjukhuset, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Surg 244:212-9. 2006..To estimate the prevalence of residual pain 2 to 3 years after hernia surgery, to identify factors associated with its occurrence, and to assess the consequences for the patient...
- Influence of preservation versus division of ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, and genital nerves during open mesh herniorrhaphy: prospective multicentric study of chronic painSergio Alfieri
Department of Digestive Surgery, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Roma, Italy
Ann Surg 243:553-8. 2006..To evaluate whether the various surgical treatment reserved for ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, and genital branch of the genitofemoral nerves, during open hernia mesh repair, is effective in reducing chronic postoperative pain...
- Chronic pain after mesh repair of inguinal hernia: a systematic reviewSimon Nienhuijs
Department of Surgery, Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Weg door Jonkerbos 100, 6532 SZ, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Surg 194:394-400. 2007Chronic pain is a severe complication of mesh-based inguinal hernia repair. Its perceived risk varies widely in the literature...
- Incarcerated recurrent inguinal hernia with covered and perforated appendicitis and periappendicular abscess: case report and review of the literatureM A Kueper
University Hospital for General, Visceral and Transplant Surgery, University of Tuebingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, Tuebingen, Germany
Hernia 11:189-91. 2007..and periappendicular abscess within the hernial sac (Amyand's hernia) of an incarcerated recurrent inguinal hernia after primary Shouldice repair...
- Approach to a giant inguinoscrotal herniaA S El Saadi
Sana a University, Sana a, Yemen
Hernia 9:277-9. 2005..This case highlights the problems encountered in management of huge hernias...
- Pediatric inguinal hernia: laparoscopic versus open surgeryRamanathan Saranga Bharathi
Department of Surgery, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra, India
JSLS 12:277-81. 2008Herniotomy/open surgery (OS) has been the time honored treatment for pediatric inguinal hernia (PIH). Laparoscopic surgery (LS) has recently emerged as an alternative in its management...
- Laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair: lessons learned from 3,100 hernia repairs over 15 yearsJean Louis Dulucq
Department of Abdominal Surgery, Maison de Santé Protestante, Bagatelle Hospital, Talence Bordeaux, France
Surg Endosc 23:482-6. 2009Two revolutions in inguinal hernia repair surgery have occurred during the last two decades...
- Transient femoral nerve palsy following ilio-inguinal nerve blockade for day case inguinal hernia repairK R Ghani
Department of Surgery, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
J R Coll Surg Edinb 47:626-9. 2002Transient femoral nerve palsy (TFNP) has been reported in patients undergoing inguinal hernia repair involving the use of ilio-inguinal nerve block...
- Pain from primary inguinal hernia and the effect of repair on painB Page
University Department of Surgery, Western Infirmary and Robertson Centre for Biostatistics, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Br J Surg 89:1315-8. 2002No previous study has attempted to quantify pain from a primary inguinal hernia. The aim of this study was to quantify patients' pain from inguinal hernia at rest and on moving, and to assess the effect of hernia repair on the pain.
- A single-surgeon randomized trial comparing sutures, N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate and human fibrin glue for mesh fixation during primary inguinal hernia repairMario Testini
Section of General Surgery, Department of Applications in Surgery of Innovative Technologies, University Medical School of Bari, Italy
Can J Surg 53:155-60. 2010..We sought to determine the efficacy of sutures, human fibrin glue and N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate for mesh fixation in patients undergoing the plug and mesh procedure for groin hernia...
- Chronic pain after groin hernia repairH Kehlet
Section of Surgical Pathophysiology 4074, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Surg 95:135-6. 2008
- Laparoscopic trans-peritoneal hernioplasty (TAPP) for the acute management of strangulated inguino-crural hernias: a report of nine casesG L Legnani
General Surgery Unit, Policlinico San Pietro Ponte San Pietro, Via Forlanini, 15, 24036 Ponte San Pietro, Bergamo, Italy
Hernia 12:185-8. 2008..thanks to the development of mini-invasive surgery, new video-endoscopic techniques for the treatment of inguinal hernia using trans-peritoneal (TAPP) and extraperitoneal (TEP) access have emerged...
- Totally extraperitoneal endoscopic inguinal hernia repair (TEP)C Tamme
Department of Surgery and Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Hanover Hospital, Roesebeckstrasse 15 Siloah, 30449 Hanover, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:190-5. 2003..5-year period between May 1994 and December 2001, 34.5% of whom had bilateral hernias and 13% recurrent hernias...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei in a hernia sac: analysis of 20 patients in whom mucoid fluid was found during a hernia repairJ Esquivel
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Eur J Surg Oncol 27:54-8. 2001..If the diagnosis can be confirmed, referral to a centre experienced in the treatment of this rare disease is suggested...
- Retroperitoneal liposarcoma presenting a indirect inguinal herniaH Noguchi
Department of Surgery I, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 55:51-4. 2001..We diagnosed the growth as a right inguinal hernia and operated on him...
- Decellularized human cadaveric dermis provides a safe alternative for primary inguinal hernia repair in contaminated surgical fieldsDaniel Albo
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, OCL 112A, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg 192:e12-7. 2006..Branchburg, NJ) can potentially provide a strong repair resistant to infection. The aim of our study was to evaluate if AlloDerm provides a safe alternative for inguinal hernia repair in contaminated surgical fields.
- Evidence-based change of practice in the management of unilateral inguinal herniaSengamalai Manoharan
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton 2001, New Zealand
J Pediatr Surg 40:1163-6. 2005Contralateral inguinal exploration in children with unilateral inguinal hernia is still controversial...
- Prosthetic material in inguinal hernia repair: how do I choose?David B Earle
Department of Surgery, Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
Surg Clin North Am 88:179-201, x. 2008..The surgeon should hone a single technique for the vast majority of inguinal hernia repairs to maximize proficiency. This limits the number of prosthetics to those suitable for that technique...
- Incarcerated inguinal hernia in the presence of Fournier's gangrene: a novel approach to a complex problemJames L Guzzo
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am Surg 73:93-5. 2007..The presence of other surgical emergencies, such as an incarcerated inguinal hernia, in the face of Fournier's gangrene presents a rare and challenging dilemma to the general surgeon...
- Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair in men with lightweight meshes may significantly impair sperm motility: a randomized controlled trialEllen Peeters
Department of Abdominal Surgery, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Ann Surg 252:240-6. 2010To compare quality of life and fertility aspects after laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair in men using a heavyweight or lightweight mesh.
- Inguinal hernia: challenging the traditional indication for surgery in asymptomatic patientsGil Ohana
Division of Surgery Golda Campus Rabin Medical Center Petach Tiqva Affiliated with The Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Hernia 8:117-20. 2004..The present study reassesses the indication for surgery in asymptomatic inguinal hernia patients.
- Spinal anesthesia for inguinal hernia repair in 8-year-old child with myasthenia gravisAysu Kocum
Paediatr Anaesth 17:1220-1. 2007
- Total extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair compared with Lichtenstein (the LEVEL-Trial): a randomized controlled trialHester R Langeveld
Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 251:819-24. 2010..trial was designed to compare the most common technique for open mesh repair (Lichtenstein) with the currently preferred minimally invasive technique (total extra peritoneal, TEP) for the surgical correction of inguinal hernia.
- Prospective nationwide analysis of laparoscopic versus Lichtenstein repair of inguinal herniaP Wara
Surgical Department L, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Br J Surg 92:1277-81. 2005According to a Cochrane review, laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair compares favourably with open mesh repair, but few data exist from surgical practice outside departments with a special interest in hernia surgery...
- Small bowel obstruction and perforation due to a displaced spiral tacker: a rare complication of laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairG Peach
Division of Surgery, University Hospital, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Hernia 12:303-5. 2008..We report a rare case of obstruction and perforation of the small bowel resulting from a band adhesion caused by a displaced spiral tacker...
- Does an informative video before inguinal hernia surgical repair influence postoperative quality of life? Results of a prospective randomized studyJuergen Zieren
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite, Campus Mitte, Humboldt University Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117, Berlin, Germany
Qual Life Res 16:725-9. 2007..Thorough preoperative education of the patient could possibly lead to an improvement of postoperative quality of life...
- Combined FDG-positron emission tomography and computed tomography for the detection of ovarian cancer recurrence in an inguinal hernia sacTeresa P Diaz-Montes
The Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 North Wolfe Street, Phipps 281, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Gynecol Oncol 98:510-2. 2005Ovarian cancer recurrence presenting in an inguinal hernia sac is rare. Only 1 case of malignant ovarian cancer growing into an inguinal hernia sac has been reported in the English literature...
- Preperitoneal bupivacaine attenuates pain following laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairA Bar-Dayan
Department of Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Surg Endosc 18:1079-81. 2004Laparoscopic preperitoneal inguinal hernia repair is associated with a short hospital stay and an early return to normal activity. Therefore, early postoperative pain control is important...
- Laparoscopic percutaneous extraperitoneal closure (LPEC) method for the exploration and treatment of inguinal hernia in girlsTakaharu Oue
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Kawachi gun, Tochigi, 329 0498 Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 21:964-8. 2005..the laparoscopic percutaneous extraperitoneal closure (LPEC) method for the treatment of girls with inguinal hernia. Using the LPEC method, 129 girls underwent laparoscopic herniorrhaphy...
- Abscess and cecum carcinoma in inguinal hernia: case reportG Benfatto
University School of Catania, Italy
G Chir 27:262-4. 2006..A primary adenocarcinoma of the cecum in a right sided inguinal hernia is presented and discussed...
- Fournier's gangrene complicating ruptured Richter's inguinal herniaU U Onakpoya
Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University Hospitals Complex, Ile lfe, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 26:316-8. 2007..The deceptive entity of Richter's hernia typically presents with complications that are usually associated with high morbidity and mortality...
- Does type of mesh used have an impact on outcomes in laparoscopic inguinal hernia?Bhavin C Shah
Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery, Department of Surgery, 983280 University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 3280, USA
Am J Surg 198:759-64. 2009Theoretically, a lighter and softer mesh may decrease nerve entrapment and chronic pain by creating less fibrosis and mesh contracture in laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.
- Comparison of the plasma and hernia sac tissue copper levels in direct and indirect inguinal hernia patientsHuseyin Ayhan Kayaoglu
Department of General Surgery, School of Medicine, Gaziosmanpasa University, Tokat, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 108:53-9. 2005Although the inguinal hernia is among the most commonly encountered and well-described health problems all over the world, the etiology is still controversial...
- Fate of the inguinal hernia following removal of infected prosthetic meshA S Fawole
Department of Academic Surgery, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF, UK
Hernia 10:58-61. 2006Open tension-free hernioplasty using a prosthetic mesh is a common operation for inguinal hernia repair because of the relative ease of the operation and low recurrence rate...
- Inguinal hernia repair with porcine small intestine submucosa: 3-year follow-up results of a randomized controlled trial of Lichtenstein's repair with polypropylene mesh versus Surgisis Inguinal Hernia MatrixLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Am J Surg 198:303-12. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Lichtenstein's hernioplasty using Surgisis Inguinal Hernia Matrix (SIHM; Cook, Bloomington, Indiana) compared with polypropylene (PP; Angiologica, Pavia, Italy).
- Acellular extracellular matrix for inguinal hernia repairS Z Ma
Department of Surgery, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital Medical University, 100020, Beijing, China
Hernia 10:229-31. 2006To investigate the clinical safety and effectiveness of acellular extracellular matrix (AEM) for inguinal hernia repair, 53 well-conducted and well-chosen sequential cases with inguinal hernia (56 inguinal hernias) were included in our ..
- Male genital tract injuries after contemporary inguinal hernia repairP F Ridgway
Department of Surgical Oncology and Technology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 90:272-6. 2002
- Evaluation of continuous infusion of 0.5% bupivacaine by elastomeric pump for postoperative pain management after open inguinal hernia repairKarl A LeBlanc
Surgical Specialty Group Inc, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Am Coll Surg 200:198-202. 2005Postoperative pain management and narcotic usage after inguinal hernia repair is an important concern for anesthesiologists and surgeons. Regional anesthesia incisional infiltration techniques may reduce the need for systemic medications.
- Incisional self-administration of bupivacaine or ropivacaine provides effective analgesia after inguinal hernia repairNeli Vintar
Department of Anesthesiology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Can J Anaesth 49:481-6. 2002..safety and applicability of two local anesthetic (LA) solutions self-administered for pain treatment after inguinal hernia repair (IHR) by balloon-pumps via catheters placed in the surgical wound...
- Recurrence after inguinal hernia repair at ten years by open darn, open mesh and TEP--no advantage with meshS J Nixon
Royal Infirmary Edinburgh
Surgeon 7:71-4. 2009Whilst mesh repair is now standard in inguinal hernia surgery, with the expectation of a reduction in recurrence rate, the incidence of recurrent hernias shows little evidence of decline...
- Isolated terminal ileum perforation after a kick blow to an inguinal herniaF Ersoz
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Hernia 13:565-7. 2009Small bowel perforation caused by direct blunt trauma to an inguinal hernia has rarely been reported. In this report, we present a patient with terminal ileum perforation after direct blunt trauma to an inguinal hernia region...
- Paravesical abscess as an unusual late complication of inguinal hernia repair in childrenMustafa Imamoglu
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
J Urol 171:1268-70. 2004We analyzed pitfalls in the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of pediatric patients who had a paravesical abscess (PVA) resulting from previous inguinal hernia repair.
- Characteristics of laparoscopic inguinal hernia recurrencesWalid Treef
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Medical Centre Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101, Mainz, Germany
Pediatr Surg Int 25:149-52. 2009This is so far the largest series of recurrences after laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei due to mucinous cystadenocarcinoma in situ of the urachus presenting as an inguinal herniaToshiki Shinohara
Department of Surgery, Sapporo City General Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:416-9. 2006..A 54-year-old man was admitted with a left inguinal hernia that had developed several months prior to his admission...
- Glandular inclusions in inguinal hernia sacs: morphologic and immunohistochemical distinction from epididymis and vas deferensLisa A Cerilli
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0214, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:469-76. 2003Glandular inclusions in inguinal hernia sacs may bear a striking resemblance to the epididymis or vas deferens...
- Factors influencing development of subcutaneous carbon dioxide emphysema in laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repairVishal R Saggar
Department of Surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:213-6. 2008..This study was undertaken to evaluate the incidence and factors associated with the occurrence of subcutaneous emphysema in patients undergoing a laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal (TEP) inguinal hernia repair.
- Factors influencing morbidity and mortality in elderly population undergoing inguinal hernia surgeryArshad Mehmood Malik
Department of Surgery, Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences LUMHS, Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 60:45-7. 2010..To study various factors influencing outcome of open hernia repair in elderly population...
- Neonatal acute appendicitis: a strangulated appendix in an incarcerated inguinal herniaJ L Martins
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, , , Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 17:644-5. 2001A 4-day-old infant with acute appendicitis (AA) due to incarceration of a right inguinal hernia is presented...
- Inguinal hernia repair in a developing countryKiran K Turaga
Creighton University Medical Center, 601 N 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Hernia 10:294-8. 2006..We suggest this to be a viable public health initiative and demonstrate the role of surgeons in advancing and providing state-of-the-art inguinal hernia surgery to a developing country and its underserved population.
- [Scrotal diverticulum of the urinary bladder -- rare cause of an inguinal hernia]F Schuster
Klinik für Urologie, Städtisches Klinikum Dresden Friedrichstadt
Aktuelle Urol 36:55-7. 2005..We report on a patient with a large inguinoscrotal herniation of the urinary bladder commonly referred as "scrotal cystocele". Diagnostic means and therapeutic strategies are discussed...
- Spontaneous fecal fistula: a rare presentation of inguinal herniaAbdul Samad
Department of Surgery, Isra University Hospital, Hyderabad
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:77-9. 2005..with the right scrotal and supra-pubic fecal fistulae due to the spontaneous bursting of a congenital inguinal hernia. This hernia remained obstructed and strangulated for about ten days before getting ruptured...
- Diagnosing the occult contralateral inguinal herniaR H Koehler
Martha s Vineyard Hospital, One Hospital Road, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557, USA
Surg Endosc 16:512-20. 2002..Given the unique ability of diagnostic laparoscopy to diagnose occult contralateral hernias (OCH) accurately, this study looked at how concurrent transabdominal diagnostic laparoscopy (TADL) would influence planned TEP repairs...
- Large inguinal hernia in infants: is laparoscopic repair the answer?Sanjay N Oak
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Topiwala National Medical College TNMC and BYL Nair Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:114-8. 2007..We present our experience of laparoscopic repair of large hernias in 16 infants, the youngest aged 40 days. Fifteen of the infants were younger than 18 months and one was < or = 2 years old...
- Incidence of contralateral occult inguinal hernia found at the time of laparoscopic trans-abdominal pre-peritoneal (TAPP) repairK J Griffin
Department of General Surgery, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, Cambridge PE29 6NT, UK
Hernia 14:345-9. 2010Trans-abdominal laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair allows rapid assessment and exploration of the contralateral groin and repair of an occult hernia...
- Combined open and laparoscopic approach to chronic pain after inguinal hernia repairJennifer E Keller
Division of Gastrointestinal and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
Am Surg 74:695-700; discussion 700-1. 2008Chronic groin pain is the most frequent long-term complication after inguinal hernia repair affecting up to 34 per cent of patients. Traditional surgical management includes groin exploration, mesh removal, and neurectomy...
- The parental perspective regarding the contralateral inguinal region in a child with a known unilateral inguinal herniaGeorge W Holcomb
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:480-2; discussion 480-2. 2004The management of the contralateral region in a child with a known inguinal hernia has been debated by surgeons for more than 50 years...
- Testicular infarction as a sequela of inguinal hernia repairLei Chu
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3232, USA
Can J Urol 16:4953-4. 2009Testicular atrophy and necrosis as a result of ischemic orchitis is a well-established complication after inguinal hernia repair...
- Paravertebral blocks provide superior same-day recovery over general anesthesia for patients undergoing inguinal hernia repairAdmir Hadzic
The Department of Anesthesiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10025, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1076-81. 2006..In outpatients undergoing inguinal herniorrhaphy, PVB resulted in faster time to home readiness and was associated with fewer adverse events and better analgesia before discharge than GA...
- Refinements in selection criteria for pediatric laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairErica B Sneider
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:237-40. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate and refine the current criteria used in patient selection for pediatric laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.
- Laparoscopic completely extraperitoneal repair of inguinal hernia in children: a single-institute experience with 1,257 repairs compared with cut-down herniorrhaphyMasao Endo
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Saitama City Hospital, 2460, Mimuro, Midori ku, Saitama shi, 336 8522, Japan
Surg Endosc 23:1706-12. 2009..We developed a unique technique to achieve completely extraperitoneal ligation of PPV without any skip areas under laparoscopic control. This report introduces our technique and results compared with the cut-down herniorrhaphy...
- Clinical findings in prepubertal girls with inguinal hernia with special reference to the diagnosis of androgen insensitivity syndromeTimo Hurme
Department of Paediatric Surgery, University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Scand J Urol Nephrol 43:42-6. 2009..However, there is a higher rate of CAIS in girls with inguinal hernia. The aim of this study was to estimate the incidence of CAIS in girls with inguinal hernia and to find a ..
- Surgical physiology of inguinal hernia repair--a study of 200 casesMohan P Desarda
Department of Surgery, Poona Hospital and Research Centre, Pune 411030, India
BMC Surg 3:2. 2003Current inguinal hernia operations are generally based on anatomical considerations. Failures of such operations are due to lack of consideration of physiological aspects...
- Prevalence and severity of chronic groin pain after endoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernioplastyH Lau
Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, Tung Wah Hospital, 12 Po Yan Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Surg Endosc 17:1620-3. 2003Chronic groin pain after open inguinal hernia repair is a common long-term morbidity, but its incidence after endoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernioplasty (TEP) has not been studied in detail...
- Open repair of inguinal hernia: an evidence-based reviewBenjamin Woods
Department of Surgery, University of Utah, 50 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Surg Clin North Am 88:139-55, ix-x. 2008..Current recommendations from this review include the routine use of mesh in primary repair of inguinal hernia and the need to counsel patients preoperatively about the risk of chronic postoperative groin pain.
- Pediatric inguinal hernia repair-a critical appraisalJ Rosenberg
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology D, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Hernia 12:113-5. 2008b>Inguinal hernia repair in infants and babies is a routine operation, but many issues have not been addressed scientifically. Thus, it is not known, e.g...
- Eikenella corrodens causing necrotizing fasciitis after an elective inguinal hernia repair in an adult: a case report and literature reviewAaron T Miller
Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am Surg 73:876-9. 2007We report an unusual case of necrotizing fasciitis in a 43-year-old man after elective inguinal hernia repair...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ropivacaine 2 mg/mL, 5 mg/mL, or 7.5 mg/mL after ilioinguinal blockade for inguinal hernia repair in adultsH Wulf
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hospital of the Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany
Anesth Analg 89:1471-4. 1999..After ethics committee approval and informed consent, 80 male adults scheduled for inguinal hernia repair were enrolled and randomized into four groups...
- Prevention of surgical site infection after open prosthetic inguinal hernia repair: efficacy of parenteral versus oral prophylaxis with amoxicillin-clavulanic acid in a randomized clinical trialMehmet A Kuzu
Department of Surgery, Ankara University School of Medicine, 06100 Sýhhýye, Ankara, Turkery
World J Surg 29:794-9. 2005..amoxicillin-clavulanic acid for preventing surgical site infection after open prosthetic mesh repair of inguinal hernia. A total of 480 inguinal-hernia patients were randomly assigned to two groups. Group I (n = 240) received 1...
- Fibrin glue for securing the mesh in laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair: a study with a 40-month prospective follow-up periodB Novik
Institution of Clinical Science, Interventions, and Technology CLINTEC, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Surg Endosc 20:462-7. 2006..Before the initiation of large patient trials, the authors wanted to confirm the feasibility, assess the costs, and rule out any flagrant short- and long-term adverse effects of fibrin glue usage in a small series of patients...
- National surveillance of surgical-site infection through register-based analysis of antibiotic use after inguinal hernia repairG Stridh Ekman
Strama the Swedish Strategic Programme Against Antibiotic Resistance, Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Surg 97:1722-9. 2010..The aim of this retrospective cohort study was to evaluate the feasibility of using existing national health registers for surveillance of postoperative antibiotic treatment suggestive of surgical-site infection...
- Work related aspects of inguinal hernia: a literature reviewP O Hendry
Department of Surgery, University of Edinburgh, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh
Surgeon 6:361-5. 2008There is a traditional belief that that an inguinal hernia can be the result of increased intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) and therefore the development of a hernia may be attributed to single strenuous or recurrent strenuous events...
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis in clean surgery with special focus on inguinal hernia repair with meshC Terzi
University Department of Surgery, Dokuz Eylul Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Hosp Infect 62:427-36. 2006..support extending the administration of antimicrobial prophylaxis to other types of clean surgery such as inguinal hernia repair or breast surgery...
- Randomized clinical trial of mesh versus non-mesh primary inguinal hernia repair: long-term chronic pain at 10 yearsRuben N van Veen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Surgery 142:695-8. 2007Open mesh or non-mesh inguinal hernia repair may influence the incidence of chronic postoperative pain differently.
- Hernia surgery, anesthetic technique, and urinary retention-apples, oranges, and kumquats?Michael F Mulroy
Reg Anesth Pain Med 27:587-9. 2002
- Laparoscopic total extraperitoneal repair versus anterior preperitoneal repair for inguinal herniaR Sinha
Department of Surgery, M L B Medical College, Jhansi, UP, India
Hernia 10:187-91. 2006Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is still not the gold standard for repair although mesh implantation is unequivocally accepted as an integral part of any groin hernia repair...
- Recurrent inguinal hernia repair by open preperitoneal approachOmer Farooq
Department of Surgery, Combined Military Hospital, Bahawalnagar Cantt
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 15:261-5. 2005..To evaluate the open preperitoneal hernia repair for safety, testicular complications and recurrence rate...
- Inguinal hernia repair in the Amsterdam region 1994-1996I G Schoots
Departement of Surgery, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Postbus 95500, 1090 HM, Amsterdam
Hernia 5:37-40. 2001In the Netherlands, approximately 30,000 inguinal hernia repairs are performed yearly. At least 15% are for recurrence. New procedures are being introduced creating discussion on which technique is the best...
- INGUINAL HERNIA MGMENT: WATCHFUL WAITING VS. OPERATIONRobert Fitzgibbons; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Inguinal hernia is one of the most common worldwide afflictions of men...
- A new absorbable mesh for hernia repairDavid Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Approximately, 1.5 million inguinal hernia repair procedures and 200,000 ventral hernia procedures are performed each year...
- DIETARY OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS, GENE EXPRESSION AND GROWTHWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2001..Clinical studies, to be conducted in 3-6-month-old infants scheduled for surgical repair of inguinal hernia, will address the hypothesis that omega3 fatty acids regulate gene expression so as to decrease a rate-..
- Laser-Activated Collagen Adhesives for HerniorrhaphyBarbara Soltz; Fiscal Year: 2006..are performed annually in the US, most incorporating mesh reinforcement particularly for incisional and inguinal hernia. Yet this procedure usually results in prolonged and painful convalescence with recurrent complications such ..
- A new absorbable mesh for hernia repairDavid Martin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Approximately, 1.5 million inguinal hernia repair procedures and 200,000 ventral hernia procedures are performed each year...
- The genetic basis of pain sensitivityMichael Costigan; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): More than 10% of patients undergoing a simple inguinal hernia repair have neuropathic pain at the site two years postsurgery...
- NEUROPSYCH DISORDERS IN THE ELDERLY UNDERGOING SURGERYMARION GOLDSTEIN ZUCKER; Fiscal Year: 1991..under general anesthesia, will be studied: (1) TJR (=total joint replacement: (2) cholecystectomy and (3) inguinal hernia repair. The study Ss. will range in all from 55 years to those of 75 years and older...
- PROSPECTIVE CLINICAL STUDIES IN NEONATAL SURGERYMartin Blakely; Fiscal Year: 2005..The third phase consists of completing an on-going randomized clinical trial comparing early versus late inguinal hernia repair in premature infants...
- Behavioral Health Effects of September 11th, 2001Charles DiMaggio; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Changes in Substance Abuse Patterns Following the Terrorist Attacks of September Charles DiMaggio; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A NEURAL NETWORK APPROACH TO PEDIATRIC TRAUMA TRIAGERANDALL BURD; Fiscal Year: 2004..The classification accuracy of trained networks will be compared with that based on current triage strategies. The long-term goal of this project is to develop and implement a tool for triaging injured children based on neural networks. ..
- Molecular Analysis of Scarless Fetal Wound HealingSandeep Kathju; Fiscal Year: 2007..With these complementary approaches we hope to thereby arrive at a broad understanding of the gene patterns controlling both fetal and adult wound healing, and identify gene products/pathways critical to both. ..
- Liposomal Opioids Extend Analgesia in Laboratory AnimalsLisa Krugner Higby; Fiscal Year: 2008..If proven efficacious, these analgesic regimens would lead to a significant change in the post-surgical care of animals used in biomedical research and veterinary medicine. ..