Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological processes in the ESOPHAGUS.
Publications236 found, 100 shown here
- Invasive oesophageal candidiasis: current and developing treatment optionsJose A Vazquez
Division of Infectious Diseases, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Drugs 63:971-89. 2003....
- Circumferential intramural esophageal dissection successfully treated by endoscopic procedure and metal stent insertionSeong Hun Kim
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, 634 18, Jeonju, Chonbuk 561 712, Korea
J Gastroenterol 40:1065-9. 2005....
- Evaluation of doramectin for the treatment of experimental canine spirocercosisEran Lavy
Department of Clinical Sciences, Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Teaching Hospital, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Vet Parasitol 109:65-73. 2002..lupi granulomas could still be seen 544 days post-initiation of treatment with doramectin. Multiple subcutaneous injections of doramectin (400 microg/kg) were shown to be effective and safe in the treatment of canine spirocercosis...
- Oesophageal candidiasis in elderly patients: risk factors, prevention and managementNamal Weerasuriya
Geriatrics and General Internal Medicine, Kings Mill Hospital, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Drugs Aging 25:119-30. 2008..Itraconazole solution, voriconazole or caspofungin may be used in refractory cases. Use of amphotericin B is restricted because of its narrow therapeutic index...
- Radiographic and computed tomographic changes and clinical presentation of spirocercosis in the dogE Dvir
Department of Companion Animal Medicine, Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, University of Pretoria, Republic of South Africa
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 42:119-29. 2001....
- Canine spirocercosis: clinical, diagnostic, pathologic, and epidemiologic characteristicsMichal Mazaki-Tovi
School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12, 76100, Rehovot, Israel
Vet Parasitol 107:235-50. 2002..The case-fatality rate decreased toward the end of the study period when improved therapy with avermectins became available...
- Treatment of esophageal spirocercosis with milbemycin oximeP J Kelly
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, P O Box 334, Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis, West Indies
Vet Parasitol 156:358-60. 2008..This preliminary data shows milbemycin oxime deserves further evaluation for the treatment of spirocercosis...
- Esophageal laceration with intramural dissection mimics esophageal perforationHui Chung Wu
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:864-5. 2008..Computed tomography of the chest revealed low posterior mediastinal abscess formation. Surgery was performed under the impression of esophageal perforation. The definite diagnosis was esophageal laceration with intramural dissection...
- Role of upper endoscopy in diagnosing opportunistic infections in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patientsAna Luiza Werneck-Silva
Casa da AIDS Infectious Disease Division, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Frei Caneca 255, CEP 05403 000, Sao Paulo, Brazil
World J Gastroenterol 15:1050-6. 2009..This review provides an update of the role of endoscopy in diagnosing OI in the upper gastrointestinal tract in HIV-infected patients in the era of HAART...
- Helical CT esophagography for the evaluation of suspected esophageal perforation or ruptureFarhan Fadoo
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0628, San Francisco, CA, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:1177-9. 2004
- The yield and the predictors of esophageal pathology when upper endoscopy is used for the initial evaluation of dysphagiaShyam Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 410 LHRB, 701 19th Street S, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 61:804-8. 2005..The objective was to determine the yield and the predictive factors of significant pathology when EGD is performed as the initial test to evaluate dysphagia...
- Endoscopic and radiological features of intramural esophageal dissectionC C Hsu
Dept of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Taiwan
Endoscopy 33:379-81. 2001..The clinical course was uneventful; the patient was discharged later and up to the time of writing has been completely asymptomatic, with normal swallowing function...
- Postoperative esophageal leak management with the Polyflex esophageal stentRichard K Freeman
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, Ind, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:333-8. 2007..This investigation reviews our experience treating postoperative esophageal leaks with the Polyflex esophageal stent (Boston Scientific, Natick, Mass)...
- A comparison between ethanol-induced chemical ablation and ivermectin plus prednizolone in the treatment of symptomatic esophageal spirocercosis in the dog: a prospective study on 14 natural casesMathios E Mylonakis
Clinic of Companion Animal Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 11, Stavrou Voutyra Str, 54627 Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Parasitol 120:131-8. 2004..The combination of ivermectin and prednizolone may be considered an effective treatment in the symptomatic and evidently asymptomatic esophageal spirocercosis of the dog...
- Spirocerca lupi esophageal granulomas in 7 dogs: resolution after treatment with doramectinW L Berry
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa
J Vet Intern Med 14:609-12. 2000..No dog experienced adverse effects to the drug, and all symptomatic dogs have been free of disease for periods ranging from 3 to 4 years...
- Esophageal involvement in Behcet's diseaseMohamed Habib Houman
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital La Rabta, 1007 Tunis, Tunisia
Yonsei Med J 43:457-60. 2002..Our results suggest that the prevalence of esophageal involvement in Behcet's disease is rather high and occur even in asymptomatic patients, but that this usually does not result in specific abnormalities...
- Crohn's disease of the esophagus: clinical features and outcomesG A Decker
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 7:113-9. 2001..Immune modifier therapy should be considered for steroid-dependent and steroid-resistant cases...
- Spontaneous rupture of the oesophagus: Boerhaave's syndrome in 2008. Literature review and treatment algorithmJ P de Schipper
Department of Surgery, St Elisabeth Hospital, Hilvarenbeekseweg 60, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 26:1-6. 2009..Therefore, we reviewed all published literature in order to design a treatment algorithm based on the literature...
- Spontaneous rupture of middle thoracic esophagus: thoracoscopic treatmentValentino Fiscon
Department of General Surgery, Azienda ULSS 15 Alta Padovana, Via Riva Dell Ospedale, 1, 35013, Cittadella, Padova, Italy
Surg Endosc 24:2900-2. 2010..We have treated an elderly patient with severe comorbidities with a minimally invasive approach, achieving a successful complete repair. Long-term endoscopic and radiologic follow-up confirm the good results...
- Use of self-expandable metal stents for the treatment of esophageal perforations and anastomotic leaksP Salminen
Department of Surgery, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
Surg Endosc 23:1526-30. 2009..This study aimed to evaluate the role of covered SEMS for the management of esophageal perforations and anastomotic leaks...
- Classifying esophageal motility by pressure topography characteristics: a study of 400 patients and 75 controlsJohn E Pandolfino
Department of Medicine, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:27-37. 2008..This study aimed to devise a scheme for the systematic analysis of esophageal high-resolution manometry (HRM) studies displayed using topographic plotting...
- Management of delayed intrathoracic esophageal perforation with modified intraluminal esophageal stentJ H Zhou
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Dis Esophagus 22:434-8. 2009..Modified esophageal stenting is an effective method to manage the delayed intrathoracic esophageal perforation. Prevention of stent migration and its convenient adjustment might be the major advantages of this method...
- Superselective coil embolization of arterial esophageal hemorrhageJ Mathijs Vogten
Department of Vascular Surgery, Sint Antonius Hospital, P O Box 2500, 3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:771-3. 2007..In patients with severe arterial bleeding of the esophagus, percutaneous superselective arterial coil embolization may be feasible for control of hemorrhage...
- Nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingStephen J Burke
Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa, IA 52242 1107, USA
Eur Radiol 17:1714-26. 2007..Endoscopic and angiographic treatment modalities will be highlighted, emphasizing a multi-modality treatment plan for upper gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Minimally invasive approach to Boerhaave's syndrome: a pilot study of three casesS Landen
Department of Surgery, St Elisabeth Hospital, Avenue De Fré 206, 1180 Brussels, Belgium
Surg Endosc 16:1354-7. 2002..Boerhaave's syndrome requires urgent thoracotomy, laparotomy, or both for esophageal repair and pleuromediastinal debridement. Minimally invasive techniques may be suitable alternatives...
- Crohn disease of the esophagus: a review of the literatureJacob Feagans
Section of Gastroenterology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
South Med J 101:927-30. 2008..There is additional discussion of the literature regarding the efficacy of newer medical and endoscopic therapies, including biologic agents and removable polymer stents...
- Use of a fully covered self-expandable metal stent for the treatment of benign esophageal diseasesJohan C Bakken
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 72:712-20. 2010Fully covered self-expandable metal stents (FCSEMSs) have been proposed for the treatment of benign esophageal diseases.
- Stent-in-stent technique for removal of embedded esophageal self-expanding metal stentsM M C Hirdes
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 106:286-93. 2011..Our aim is to report the results of removal of embedded, partially covered SEMSs by induction of pressure necrosis using the stent-in-stent technique...
- Success and complications associated with placement of fully covered removable self-expandable metal stents for benign esophageal diseases (with videos)Mohamad A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 73:673-81. 2011Fully covered esophageal self-expandable metal stents (FCSEMSs) are thought to induce less mucosal hyperplasia and are potentially removable. They may constitute an attractive alternative for the treatment of benign esophageal diseases.
- CT features of esophageal emergenciesCatherine A Young
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiographics 28:1541-53. 2008..An awareness of the CT findings associated with the spectrum of acute esophageal disease facilitates the accurate and prompt diagnosis of esophageal emergencies and thereby contributes to a more successful outcome...
- Distal contraction latency: a measure of propagation velocity optimized for esophageal pressure topography studiesSabine Roman
Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611 2951, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:443-51. 2011..This study aimed to exploit a coordinate-based strategy to quantify the normal latency of the distal esophageal contraction as a measure of propagation velocity optimized for high-resolution esophageal pressure topography (EPT) studies...
- Fully covered Alimaxx esophageal metal stents in the endoscopic treatment of benign esophageal diseasesBahaa E Senousy
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Florida, 1600 SW Archer Road, HD 602, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Dig Dis Sci 55:3399-403. 2010..of dysphagia in patients with esophageal cancer and are also beginning to be used in patients with benign esophageal diseases such as refractory strictures and fistulas...
- Histology of esophageal mucosa from patients with achalasiaA P Kjellin
Department of Surgery and Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Dis Esophagus 18:257-61. 2005....
- Preoperative preparation for esophageal surgeryJessica Scott Donington
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Falk CVRB, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Thorac Surg Clin 15:277-85. 2005..Preoperative tumor staging is done with a combination of tests, which should include CT, PET, and EUS for best noninvasive staging and more invasive techniques used on an individual basis...
- [Esophagoscopy in pediatric surgery]G Scalfari
Clinica Chirurgica Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Scienze Pediatriche Mediche e Chirurgiche, Policlinico Universitario Pad NI, Viale Gazzi, 98100 Messina
Pediatr Med Chir 26:119-23. 2004..They show the importance of this procedure in pediatric population, which provides clear diagnostic answers and represents a good alternative to traditional surgical procedures...
- Sealing of esophageal perforation or ruptures with expandable metallic stents: a prospective controlled study on treatment efficacy and limitationsE Johnsson
Department of Surgery and Transplantation, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Sahlgrenska, Goteborg, Sweden
Dis Esophagus 18:262-6. 2005..Leakage from a damage esophagus can be effectively covered by expandable metallic stents seemingly regardless of the underlying cause and is likely to offer a good chance of survival even in severely ill patients...
- Esophageal hematomaM Tong
Division of Esophageal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
Dis Esophagus 19:200-2. 2006..Conservative treatment resulted in complete resolution. The literature is reviewed for the etiology, clinical features and management of this condition...
- Celiac disease and glycogenic acanthosis: a new association?O D Suoglu
Division of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Pathology, Istanbul School of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Paediatr 93:568-70. 2004..CONCLUSION: We suggest that glycogenic acanthosis needs to be investigated as a possible new association of celiac disease in greater paediatric series...
- [Giant esophageal fibrovascular polyp]A Escarda
Gastroenterol Hepatol 27:431-2. 2004
- Endoscopic mucosal incision with an insulated-tip knife for intramucosal esophageal dissection: case reportPhilip W Y Chiu
Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Gastrointest Endosc 62:184-7. 2005
- Self-expanding plastic stents for benign esophageal lesionsSylvie Evrard
Department of Gastroenterology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Route de Lennik 808, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Gastrointest Endosc 60:894-900. 2004..The self-expanding plastic stent is removable and induces less tissue hyperplasia. This study prospectively evaluated the use of a self-expanding plastic stent to treat benign esophageal conditions...
- Reducing hospital morbidity and mortality following esophagectomyB Zane Atkins
Department of Surgery, Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1170-6; discussion 1170-6. 2004..This study was performed in order to identify prognostic variables that might be used to develop a strategy for optimizing outcomes after EG...
- How to take a look in the oesophagusN Skau
Clin Otolaryngol 32:142. 2007
- A solitary tuberculous ulcer in the oesophagusBart T Rövekamp
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:435-9. 2005..Oesophageal tuberculosis is a rare entity, especially as a primary manifestation defined as involvement of the oesophagus without signs of disseminated disease. Therefore, this case was classified as primary oesophageal tuberculosis...
- Post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorderVincent C Schooler
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 60:989-90. 2004
- Esophageal function testing: role of combined multichannel intraluminal impedance and manometryRadu Tutuian
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, 210 CSB, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 15:265-75. 2005....
- Multidetector CT and virtual endoscopy in the evaluation of the esophagusS Mazzeo
Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56100, Pisa, Italy
Abdom Imaging 29:2-8. 2004....
- Large pedunculated polyps originating in the esophagus and hypopharynxManuel Caceres
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:393-6. 2006..Recurrence is rare. To our knowledge, this is the largest review of large esophageal polyps, including 110 reported cases in the literature...
- Intermittent dysphagia for solids associated with a multiringed esophagus: clinical features and response to dilatationGreta Shao Chu Lee
Department of Gastroenterology, The St George Hospital, Kogarah, New South Wales, 2217, Australia
Dysphagia 22:55-62. 2007..Eosinophilic esophagitis is commonly but not invariably associated with this entity. Frequent relapse of dysphagia highlights the need for effective pharmacotherapy...
- Technical aspects in endoscopic biopsy of lesions in esophageal pemphigus vulgarisG Galloro
Department of General, Geriatric, Oncological Surgery and Advanced Technologies, Special Section of Surgical Digestive Endoscopy, School of Medicine, University Federico II of Naples, Via S Pansini, 5, 80132 Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:363-7. 2007..Aim of this study is to compare a specific kind of biopsy forceps to a traditional one in providing an adequate specimen of esophageal pemphigus vulgaris lesions that includes the basement membrane for definitive diagnosis...
- Acute esophageal necrosis: a rare syndromeGrigoriy E Gurvits
Department of Gastroenterology, St Vincent s Medical Center, New York Medical College, 153 West 11th Street, NR 11, New York, NY10011, USA
J Gastroenterol 42:29-38. 2007....
- An unusual case of dysphagia and chest pain in a non-HIV patient: esophageal tuberculosisBobbak Vahid
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Penn, USA
Am J Med 120:e1-2. 2007
- How to keep the treatment of esophageal disease in the surgeon's handsJames D Luketich
The Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3221, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S760-3. 2008
- Preoperative chemo-radiation-induced ulceration in patients with esophageal cancer: a confounding factor in tumor response assessment in integrated computed tomographic-positron emission tomographic imagingJeremy J Erasmus
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Thorac Oncol 1:478-86. 2006..We evaluated the use of integrated computed tomography (CT)-PET among patients with esophageal cancer being considered for resection after CRT...
- The two-pound rule: a personal experience with 1,226 cases of esophageal dilationCharles J Filipi
Department of Surgery, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Am Coll Surg 205:819-21. 2007
- Therapeutic strategy for removal of a large dental prosthesis with a sharp clasp, embedded in the esophagusY Moriwaki
Critical Care and Emergency Center, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Endoscopy 39:E303-4. 2007
- Esophageal tuberculosisR B Fagundes
Serviço de Gastroenterologia do Hospital Universitario, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Endoscopy 39:E149. 2007
- Psychological factors, quality of life, and gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with erosive and non-erosive reflux disorderZoltan Kovacs
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Int J Psychiatry Med 37:139-50. 2007..The objective of this study was to determine the possible similarities and differences concerning psychosocial and somatic characteristics of these patients...
- [Radiological imaging of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Part 1. The esophagus]J Hansmann
Abteilung Radiodiagnostik, Radiologische Universitatsklinik, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Radiologe 46:1077-87; quiz 1088. 2006..In cases of esophageal carcinoma, radiology adds to the findings of endoscopy and endosonography...
- Ingested gastrointestinal foreign bodies: predisposing factors for complications in children having surgical or endoscopic removalBaran Tokar
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Medical School, OGU Tip Fakultesi Meselik, Eskisehir, 26480, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 23:135-9. 2007..Physician must maintain a high index of suspicion and a more extensive history; physical examination and radiodiagnostic investigation should be obtained in suspected cases...
- Improvised rigid oesophagoscopeE A Oyewole
Department of Surgery, Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu, Nigeria
Trop Doct 36:214. 2006
- How we do it: The role of trans-nasal flexible laryngo-oesophagoscopy (TNFLO) in ENT: one year's experience in a head and neck orientated practice in the UKT Price
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 30:551-6. 2005..Therapeutic procedures such as vocal cord medialization, endolaryngeal laser surgery, insertion of speech prostheses and foreign body removal may be performed without general anaesthesia...
- [The present state of esophageal laparoscopic surgery]F M Martínez Regueira
Servicio de Cirugia General, Clinica Universitaria, Pamplona
An Sist Sanit Navar 28:11-9. 2005Laparoscopic surgery has changed the therapeutic approach in the most frequent esophageal diseases. With the excellent results in the control of symptoms and the low associated morbidity, surgical treatment is increasingly indicated in ..
- Endoscopic ultrasound diagnosis of Liesegang ringsT E Yusuf
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Endoscopy 38:658. 2006
- Outcome of endoscopic therapeutic interventions: are they different among various non-malignant esophageal diseasesRustam Khan
Section of Gastroenterology Department of Medicine The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:22-5. 2005..This study was carried out to evaluate and compare the outcome of various causes of non-malignant lesions of the esophagus after endoscopic therapeutic intervention...
- Crohn's disease of the esophagusJose Maria Remes-Troche
Department of Gastroenterology, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion, Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Gastroenterology 130:1029, 1376. 2006
- Treatment of oesophageal ulcerations using endoscopic transplantation of tissue-engineered autologous oral mucosal epithelial cell sheets in a canine modelT Ohki
Institute of Advanced Biomedical Engineering and Science, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Gut 55:1704-10. 2006..However, after aggressive ESD, a major complication that arises is postoperative inflammation and stenosis that can considerably affect the patient's quality of life...
- Self-expanding metal stents for the treatment of intrathoracic esophageal anastomotic leaks following esophagectomyJob H C Peters
Department of Gastroenterology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 101:1393-5. 2006..This case report shows the feasibility of using fully covered metal esophageal stents to close the anastomotic defect in three patients with esophagectomy for cancer...
- Esophageal foreign body obstruction caused by a dental chew treat in 31 dogs (2000-2006)Michael S Leib
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:1021-5. 2008..To evaluate the signalment, clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment, and outcome associated with esophageal obstruction caused by a dental chew treat in dogs...
- Clinical challenges and images in GI. Esophageal tubular duplicationNajat Mourra
Department of Pathology, Hopital St Antoine, Paris, France
Gastroenterology 134:669, 899. 2008
- Value of endoscopic ultrasonography for diagnosis of esophageal tuberculosis: report of two casesAhmet Aydin
Department of Gastroenterology, Ege University Medical School, Izmir, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 51:1673-6. 2006
- [The analysis of hiatal hernia occurrence in connection with GERD]Antoni Błaszak
Wojskowy Instytut Medyczny w Warszawie, Klinika Gastroenterologii CSK MON
Pol Merkur Lekarski 22:357-61. 2007..The aim of this paper is to research the incidence of hiatal hernia based on endoscopic criteria of its diagnosis and its influence on other esophageal diseases.
- Multiple mucosal bridges in the oesophagus after sclerotherapy for varicesA Sood
Department of Medicine, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, India
Trop Gastroenterol 22:94-5. 2001..An oesophageal mucosal bridge can occur due to acquired causes and also due to congenital anomalies. A patient with mucosal bridge of the distal oesophagus following sclerotherapy with absolute alcohol is reported...
- Local injections of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (Gm-CSF) for the treatment of radiation-induced mucosa ulcersJean Luc Raoul
Departement d Oncologie Medicale, Centre Eugene Marquis, 35062, Rennes Cedex, France
Radiother Oncol 68:303-4. 2003..This simple and safe method should be proposed for the treatment of chronic ulcers that develop in a formerly radiated zone...
- [Laparoscopic surgery of the upper gastrointestinal tract]B Bohm
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral, Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Charite, Campus Mitte, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin
Chirurg 72:349-61. 2001..Diagnostic laparoscopy is used to avoid unnecessary laparotomy in inoperable cancer and to ascertain whether neoadjuvant therapy is indicated in advanced gastric carcinoma...
- Esophageal inflammatory pseudotumor mimicking malignancyK Kurihara
Department of Pathology, Uwajima City Hospital, Uwajima, Ehime
Intern Med 40:18-22. 2001..Reflux esophagitis which was present distal to the stricture seemed to play a role in the development of this inflammatory pseudotumor...
- Endoscopic features of esophageal tuberculosisShahab Abid
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Gastrointest Endosc 57:759-62. 2003..Esophageal tuberculosis is rare. Clinical and endoscopic features are variable, diverse, nonspecific, and poorly described. These findings may be confused with those of esophageal cancer and deep fungal infection...
- [Diagnostic procedures in esophageal diseases]L Degen
, Kantonsspital, Basel
Ther Umsch 58:125-7. 2001The algorithms for diagnosis of esophageal diseases largely depend on the patient's symptoms...
- [Quality of diagnostic procedures and frequency of endoscopically defined diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract]F Bartels
St Vincenz Hospital GmbH, Coesfeld
Z Gastroenterol 41:311-8. 2003..Furthermore it could be helpful to use the same nomenclature for pathologic findings to intensify the co-operation between the physicians in hospitals and the practitioners...
- Black esophagus induced by severe vomiting in a healthy young manP Katsinelos
Department of Endoscopy and Motility Unit, Central Hospital, Ethnikis Aminis 41, TT 54335 Thessaloniki, Greece
Surg Endosc 17:521. 2003..Herein we report the case of a young, healthy, athletic man who developed black esophagus due to severe vomiting after alcohol overindulgence and summarize the other published cases to date...
- Optical coherence tomography of the esophagus and proximal stomach in health and diseaseG Zuccaro
Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:2633-9. 2001..This technique holds great potential as an adjunct to the surveillance of patients with Barrett's esophagus, ulcerative pancolitis, and other premalignant conditions...
- Acute esophageal necrosis: a 1-year prospective studyEmmanuel Ben Soussan
Digestive Tract Research Group and Department of Pathology, Rouen University Hospital, Rouen Cedex, France
Gastrointest Endosc 56:213-7. 2002..A prospective 1-year study was conducted to assess the frequency, clinical spectrum, histologic description, and follow-up of acute esophageal necrosis unrelated to ingestion of caustic or corrosive agents...
- Transnasal esophagoscopyP C Belafsky
Department of Otolaryngology, Center for Voice Disorders of Wake Forest University, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1034, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:588-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: TNE is safe and well tolerated by patients with topical anesthesia alone. TNE may replace radiographic imaging of the esophagus in otolaryngology patients with reflux, globus, and dysphagia...
- [Consequences of caustic damage of the esophagus]P H Davids
Academisch Medisch Centrum/Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 145:2105-8. 2001..Subsequent treatment can vary from endoscopic dilations to gastric tube reconstruction following resection of the oesophagus...
- A new philosophy in esophageal reconstruction with colon. Thirty-years experienceZ Popovici
County Hospital Sibiu, First Surgical Clinic, Sibiu, Romania
Dis Esophagus 16:323-7. 2003..6%). Morbidity is analyzed and different particular arrangements like continuous colic loop, superlong graft, Roux-en-Y procedure are described. A general outline of pharyngeal reconstruction in corrosive strictures is presented...
- [Esophageal resections and plastics]Aleksandras Bagajevas
Klaipeda Hospital, Liepojos 15, 5808 Klaipeda, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:170-3. 2004The aim was to evaluate interim results of surgery and plastics for esophageal diseases. From March 2002 to August 2003, 31 patients underwent esophageal resections in the Department of Thoracic Surgery of Klaipeda Hospital...
- Cytologic screening for esophageal cancer in a high-risk population in Anyang County, ChinaHuihua Yang
Department of Pathology, Anyang Tumour Hospital, Department of Oncopathology, Henan Institute of Medical Sciences, Henan Medical University, Anyang, Henan, China
Acta Cytol 46:445-52. 2002..The scope was to identify patients with in situ and early invasive carcinoma, applying esophageal balloon cytology and treating with photodynamic therapy (PDT)...
- What is your diagnosis? Esophageal obstructionKimberly A Agnello
Oradell Animal Hospital, 481 Kinderkamack Rd, Oradell, NJ 07649, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 223:1115-6. 2003
- Boerhaave's syndrome after postoperative vomitingFouad N Atallah
Departments of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Toulouse University Hospitals, France
Anesth Analg 98:1164-6, table of contents. 2004..As this complication is quite rare and can have varied and atypical presentations, anesthesiologists may fail to consider this diagnosis...
- Medical image. Ruptured oesophagusR S B Pochin
N Z Med J 116:2p preceding U720. 2003
- Esophageal dysphagiaP J Kahrilas
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 48:171-90. 1994..Finally, current concepts of the pathophysiology and therapy of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Emphasis is placed on the dual sphincter theory of gastroesophageal junction competence and the need for maintenance anti-secretory therapy...
- Esophageal mucosal tear from a transesophageal echocardiography probe despite preliminary assessment via esophagoscopy in a patient with esophageal diseaseAbid U Ghafoor
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Little Rock, AR 72202 3591, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 18:78-9. 2004
- The neural regulation of the mammalian esophageal motility and its implication for esophageal diseasesTakahiko Shiina
Department of Basic Veterinary Science, Laboratory of Physiology, The United Graduate School of Veterinary Sciences, Gifu University, Yanagido 1 1, Gifu 501 1193, Japan
Pathophysiology 17:129-33. 2010..In addition, it is assumed that the components of intrinsic neurons might be therapeutic targets for several esophageal diseases.
- [Verrucous carcinoma of the esophagus. A case report]G Liberale
Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Gastroenterologia, Ospedale Accademico Erasme, Università Libera di Bruxelles, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Minerva Chir 60:61-5. 2005..The long natural history, the lack of specific symptoms and the presence of coexisting esophageal diseases delay the diagnosis and account for the local advancement of this malignancy...
- The changing pattern of upper gastro-intestinal lesions in southern Saudi Arabia: an endoscopic studySulieman M Al-Humayed
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, King Khalid University, Abha, Saudi Arabia
Saudi J Gastroenterol 16:35-7. 2010..Our main objectives were: (1) To study the pattern of upper gastrointestinal pathology in patients with dyspepsia undergoing upper endoscopy; (2) Compare that with the pattern seen 10-15 years earlier in different areas of KSA...
- An international primary care survey of GERD terminology and guidelinesNimish Vakil
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Milwaukee, Wisc, USA
Dig Dis 26:231-6. 2008..Terminology used to describe upper gastrointestinal disorders differs by country and language. However, the extent of variation in physician understanding of GERD and associated conditions and symptoms is not known...
- State of the art in thoracospic surgery: a personal experience of 2000 videothoracoscopic procedures and an overview of the literatureG C Roviaro
Department of Surgery, S Giuseppe Hospital Fbf, A Fa R, University of Milan, 12 Via San Vittore, 20123 Milan, Italy
Surg Endosc 16:881-92. 2002....
- [Mediastinal dissection for patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: sternotomy vs VATS (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)]Muneyuki Masuda
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Kyushu Koseinennkin Hospital, Kitakyusyu
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 110:758-61. 2007..and Pathologic Studies for Carcinoma of the Esophagus (9 th edition) edited by the Japanese Society for Esophageal Diseases. For Case 1, we adopted a conventional anterior approach with resection of the right half of the manubrium ..
- Eponyms in esophageal surgery, part 2F A M Herbella
Department of Surgery, Esophagus Division, Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP, Rua Napoleao de Barros, 715 2 andar, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Dis Esophagus 18:4-16. 2005..The 10 most common eponyms in esophageal diseases were revisited...
- [Diagnosis and therapy of aspiration pneumonia]S R Ott
HELIOS Klinikum Emil von Behring, Zentrum für Pneumologie and Thoraxchirurgie Heckeshorn, Klinik fur Pneumologie
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:624-8. 2006..There are a number of risk factors for aspiration such as compromised consciousness or esophageal diseases. Aspiration pneumonia presents as a subacute or chronic disease...
- Morphological changes in the lower esophageal sphincter influencing the result of antireflux surgical interventions in chronic gastroesophageal reflux diseaseAron Altorjay
Department of Surgery, Saint George University Teaching Hospital, Seregelyesi u 3, Székesfehérvár H 8000, Hungary
Hepatogastroenterology 53:342-7. 2006..If the answer is supposedly yes, do these changes influence the postoperative functional results following antireflux surgery?..
- Regulation of esophageal gene expression and function by KLF5 and p53Jonathan P Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall, the proposed studies will provide key insights into the transcriptional regulation of esophageal epithelial homeostasis and the molecular pathways that underlie esophageal diseases, both benign and malignant.
- Risk Factors and Biomarkers for Diagnosis &Treatment of Eosinophilic EsophagitisEVAN SAMUEL DELLON; Fiscal Year: 2013..with strong training in patient-oriented research methodology, and a proven commitment to the study of esophageal diseases, and eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) in particular...
- Toll-like Receptor Signaling in the Esophageal EpitheliumMei Lun Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..new insights into the mechanisms by which esophageal epithelial cells function as innate immune effector cells in response to esophageal damage, and may impact the diagnosis and treatment of highly prevalent human esophageal diseases.
- The Role of Periostin and Th2 Cytokines in Eosinophilic Esophagitis FibrogenesisEdaire Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..Spechler, senior translational investigators with a record of research excellence in the molecular study of esophageal diseases. In addition, the advisory committee includes Dr. Glenn Furuta, an international authority on EoE, and Dr...
- Integrative mouse pathobiology: GI epithelial biology and geneticsHiroshi Nakagawa; Fiscal Year: 2011..of mechanisms by which esophageal epithelial homeostasis is regulated and in turn, deregulated in esophageal diseases, both benign and malignant, and potentially other squamous diseases in other tissue types, all through an ..
- Integrative mouse pathobiology: GI epithelial biology and geneticsHiroshi Nakagawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..of mechanisms by which esophageal epithelial homeostasis is regulated and in turn, deregulated in esophageal diseases, both benign and malignant, and potentially other squamous diseases in other tissue types, all through an ..
- Regulation of differentiation in esophageal epitheliaJonathan P Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..We anticipate that these studies will provide insight into the factors that maintain normal esophageal epithelial homeostasis and the pathways that are disrupted in esophageal diseases, both benign and malignant.
- The role of microenvironment in esophageal epithelial homeostasisMarie Pier Tetreault; Fiscal Year: 2013..While activation of cytokines, chemokines, and inflammatory mediators has been identified in esophageal diseases, little information is available about the molecular mechanisms of this activation in these diseases...
- The Role of transcription factor Sox2 in the homeostasis of the adult esophagusJIAN WEN QUE; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Esophageal diseases, including Barrett's esophagus (BE), adenocarcinoma and squamous cancers are serious health problems in industrial societies...
- Non-Endoscopic Surveillance for Barrett's Esophagus Following Ablative TherapyNicholas J Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2013..from esophageal carcinoma by improving screening and therapy;2) To expand the UNC research center for esophageal diseases;and 3) To contribute to the development of the next generation of clinical researchers in digestive ..
- Epidemiologic Case-control Study of Barrett's EsophagusNicholas Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dr. Shaheen, the applicant, is an Assistant Professor at UNC and is Co-Director of the Center for Esophageal Diseases. His mentor, Dr...
- ROLE OF PUBORECTALIS MUSCLE IN FECAL CONTINENCERAVINDER MITTAL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PHARYNGEAL RECEPTORS AND REFLUX DISEASERAVINDER MITTAL; Fiscal Year: 2001..Effects of atropine on the frequency of TLESR and GER in patients with reflux esophagitis. ..
- H PYLORI RECOMBINATION AND GASTRIC COLONIZATIONMartin Blaser; Fiscal Year: 2001..pylori infections. ..
- Development of furanones for treatment of anthraxMartin Blaser; Fiscal Year: 2005..In initial studies, spores will be given subcutaneosly. Efficacy parameters will be defined as above. Successful trials can lead to phase I studies in humans, and treatment studies in non-human primates. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- CELL-SURFACE PROTEINS IN CAMPYLOBACTER FETUS VIRULENCEMartin Blaser; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, the data generated can be used to develop a mathematical model of antigenic variation that focuses on the relationship between microbial recombination generating diversity and host selection determining the direction of change. ..
- Comparison of Two Therapies for UES DysphagiaReza Shaker; Fiscal Year: 2004..anteroposterior and lateral diameter of maximum deglutitive UES opening, and b. maximum deglutitive laryngeal anterior and superior excursions. ..
- CORI: Consortium Expansion and Database EnhancementDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- The Prevalence of Barrett's Esophagus in Patients with *Blair Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this study will enhance our understanding of the natural history of esophageal injury in patients with extraesophageal reflux and raise awareness of non-GERD risk factors. ..
- NF KAPPA B MEDIATED CHEMORESISTANCE IN HUMAN LUNG CANCERDavid Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal of this study is to provide the necessary background for the initiation of novel treatment strategies designed to treat patients with advanced lung cancer. ..
- H. Pylory factors associated with peptic ulcer diseaseTIMOTHY COVER; Fiscal Year: 2006..pylori factors that help to determine clinical outcome, and ultimately, may lead to advances in the treatment or prevention of H. pylori-associated human diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Screening for colortectal cancer in an Asian Community CenterDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is a new paradigm for screening, which takes advantage of the trust and cultural awareness that exists at the community center and does not rely on the primary care provider. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- LETHAL OROESOPHAGEAL CANDIDIASIS: IMMUNOTHERAPYEdward Balish; Fiscal Year: 2004..Restoration and enhancement of immune function may be critical for the effectiveness of anti-Candida vaccines that are now under development. ..
- EOSINOPHIL PROTEINS AND GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASEGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2003..EDGP stimulated epithelial cell chloride ion secretion and 3. EDGP stimulated neutrophil infiltration, changes in vascular permeability and fluid secretion in vivo. ..
- Role of eosinophils in intestinal epithelial dysfunctionGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2009..Long-term goals of these studies are the identification of specific diagnostic tests for EOGs and the development of novel eosinophil specific treatments. ..
- Gastrointestinal Eosinophil Research SymposiumGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..