Summary: A tumor that secretes VASOACTIVE INTESTINAL PEPTIDE, a neuropeptide that causes VASODILATION; relaxation of smooth muscles; watery DIARRHEA; HYPOKALEMIA; and HYPOCHLORHYDRIA. Vipomas, derived from the pancreatic ISLET CELLS, generally are malignant and can secrete other hormones. In most cases, Vipomas are located in the PANCREAS but can be found in extrapancreatic sites.
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- Islet cell tumors of the pancreas: the medical oncologist's perspectiveR Brentjens
Gastrointestinal Oncology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Surg Clin North Am 81:527-42. 2001....
- Surgical experience with functioning pancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsBrent D Matthews
Department of General Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
Am Surg 68:660-5; discussion 665-6. 2002..Symptomatic improvement is accomplished in the majority of patients after surgery and short-term palliation is achieved in patients with nonresectable disease...
- [Surgical treatment of neuroendocrine tumours of the pancreas]Gyula Farkas
Sebészeti Klinika, Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Altalános Orvosi Kar, Szeged 6720, Hungary
Magy Onkol 47:345-7. 2003..In the last 15 years 22 patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours were treated without any mortality. Except for two of them, the surgical therapy was curative...
- Diagnosis and treatment of VIPoma in a female patientCarol Ann Remme
Department of Internal Medicine, Red Cross Hospital, Beverwijk, and Department of Experimental Cardiology, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:93-9. 2006We report a case of VIPoma in an 83-year-old female patient, who presented with frequent and excessive diarrhoea, muscle weakness, and severe hypokalaemia...
- Pancreatic VIPomas: subject review and one institutional experienceAmir A Ghaferi
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:382-93. 2008..A retrospective review of the Johns Hopkins pancreatic database revealed four cases of VIPoma, with three patients being male...
- Putative tumor suppressor loci at 6q22 and 6q23-q24 are involved in the malignant progression of sporadic endocrine pancreatic tumorsA Barghorn
Department of Pathology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Pathol 158:1903-11. 2001..We conclude that the two hot spots found on 6q may harbor putative tumor suppressor genes involved not only in the oncogenesis but maybe also in the malignant and metastatic progression of sporadic EPTs...
- BRAF gene mutations are rare events in gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsAndrea Tannapfel
Institute of Pathology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 123:256-60. 2005..Nevertheless, activation of the RAF/mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway might have a causative role in the development of neuroendocrine tumors, independent of BRAF or k-ras-2 mutation...
- Imaging appearances of metastases from neuroendocrine tumours of the pancreasM P Debray
Department of Radiology, Bichat-Claude-Bernard Hospital, 46 rue Henri Huchard, 75877 Paris, France
Br J Radiol 74:1065-70. 2001..This pictorial review shows the typical radiological features of ETP metastases and emphasizes the role of different imaging modalities...
- Surgery on neuroendocrine tumoursGoran Akerstrom
Department of Surgical Sciences, University Hospital, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:87-109. 2007..Other tumours--glucagonoma, VIPoma, and non-functioning endocrine pancreatic tumours--are often large or metastasizing, but generally require ..
- Diagnosis and treatment of VIPoma in China: (case report and 31 cases review) diagnosis and treatment of VIPomaShu You Peng
Department of Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
Pancreas 28:93-7. 2004To discuss the experience of diagnosis and treatment of VIPoma by summarizing clinical information of 31 patients with VIPoma in China.
- Circulating ghrelin levels in patients with pancreatic and gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumors: identification of one pancreatic ghrelinomaS Corbetta
Institute of Endocrine Sciences, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3117-20. 2003..and 6 with gastric carcinoid), 24 patients with pancreatic tumor (8 with gastrinoma, 2 with insulinoma, 2 with vipoma, 1 with glucagonoma, and 11 with nonfunctioning tumor), and 35 healthy controls...
- An update of the medical treatment of malignant endocrine pancreatic tumorsB Eriksson
Medical Department, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Oncol 32:203-8. 1993..In conclusion, there are at least three effective therapies for malignant EPT and by combining them simultaneously or consecutively, a median survival of more than four years can be obtained...
- Nesidioblastosis as a cause of focal pancreatic 111In-pentetreotide uptake in a patient with putative VIPoma: another differential diagnosisAlessandra Bastian Francesconi
Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Butterfield Street, Herston, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
Ann Nucl Med 23:497-9. 2009..The histopathology of the specimen confirmed the diagnosis of nesidioblastosis...
- VIPoma with expression of both VIP and VPAC1 receptors in a patient with WDHA syndromeShoko Nakayama
Department of Internal Medicine I, Osaka Medical College, 2 7 Daigakumachi, Takatsuki City, Osaka 569 0801, Japan
Endocrine 35:143-6. 2009We report a case of VIPoma in a 72-year-old female patient who presented with excessive diarrhea, severe hypokalemia, and acidemia. She had been referred to our hospital three times because of severe diarrhea...
- [Jejunal vipoma]Monika Lecorguillé
Fédération Médico Chirurgicale d Hépato Gastroentérologie, Hopital Beaujon, 100 boulevard Leclerc, 92118 Clichy
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 28:797-800. 2004We report here case of a 57-year-old woman presenting with a metastatic vipoma revealed by secretory diarrhea and severe ionic disorders successfully treated by somatostatin administration...
- Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide-secreting tumor (VIPoma) with liver metastases: dramatic and durable symptomatic benefit from hepatic artery embolization, a case reportC C Case
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Med Oncol 19:181-7. 2002..We present a patient with VIPoma and hepatic metastases who had greater than 10 loose stools a day for 4 yr since diagnosis, despite debulking ..
- [Pancreatic islets endocrinopathies with disorders of carbohydrate metabolism--Part 2: somatostatinoma, VIP-oma, PP-oma]Agata Bronisz
Katedra i Klinika Endokrynologii i Diabetologii AM w Bydgoszczy
Pol Arch Med Wewn 112:853-8. 2004
- [Sonographic detection of a "VIPoma" in a small child with intractable gastroenteritis]T Riebel
Abteilung Pädiatrische Radiologie der Klinik für Strahlenheilkunde, Germany
Ultraschall Med 23:264-6. 2002..The VIP secreting tumor ("VIPoma") was detected ultrasonographically in a retroperitoneal localization mediocaudally of the right kidney...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of vasoactive intestinal peptide-secreting-tumors: one case report and 15 years review in China]Jiang Tao Li
Department of Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 42:524-7. 2004To discuss the experiences of diagnosis and treatment for vasoactive intestinal peptide-secreting-tumors (VIPoma) by summarizing clinical informations of 15 patients with VIPoma.
- Radiofrequency ablation has a valuable therapeutic role in metastatic VIPomaSusan J Moug
Department of Surgery, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Pancreatology 6:155-9. 2006..The optimal intervention for metastatic VIPoma remains undecided...
- Benign pancreatic tumorsSushanth Reddy
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, MN 264, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Surg Clin North Am 87:1359-78, viii. 2007..The correct differentiation of these malignant and premalignant lesions from their benign counterpart is paramount to their proper management...
- [Acute renal failure caused by VIP-secreting tumor]D Lambertini
U O di Nefrologia ed Emodialisi, Azienda Ospedaliera Carlo Poma, Mantova, Italy
G Ital Nefrol 20:419-22. 2003..b>Vipoma is a rare neuroendocrine tumor...
- [Operative management and long-term survival in patients with neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas--experience with 144 patients]V Fendrich
Klinik für Visceral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:195-200. 2007..To evaluate the outcome of patients with pancreatic endocrine tumors (PETs) in a tertiary referral centre...
- Multi-visceral resection of pancreatic VIPoma in a patient with sinistral portal hypertensionDavid L Joyce
Departments of Surgery, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 22187 6681, USA
World J Surg Oncol 6:80. 2008VIPomas are rare neuroendocrine tumors poorly described in the literature. Aggressive resection of patients with advanced VIPoma neuroendocrine tumors has rarely been reported.
- Prevalence, characteristics and prognosis of MEN 1-associated glucagonomas, VIPomas, and somatostatinomas: study from the GTE (Groupe des Tumeurs Endocrines) registryNathalie Lévy-Bohbot
Service d endocrinologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Reims
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 28:1075-81. 2004..Few studies have concerned the rare functioning endocrine pancreatic tumors associated with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN 1). When sporadic, these tumors have a poor prognosis...
- Somatostatin analogue therapy in functioning neuroendocrine gut tumorsH T Debas
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0104
Digestion 54:68-71. 1993..Control of diarrhea has been achieved in 84% of patients with VIPoma treated with octreotide...
- Treatment of gastrointestinal endocrine tumours with interferon-alpha and octreotideW Creutzfeldt
Department of Medicine, Georg-August-University, , Germany
Acta Oncol 30:529-35. 1991..This remission has now lasted for four years. In one patient with liver metastasis of a VIPoma, who had become resistant to streptozotocin, his watery diarrhoea is now completely controlled with 100 micrograms ..
- Nuclear medicine in the detection and management of pancreatic islet-cell tumoursIrene Virgolini
Clinical Department of Nuclear Medicine, Medical University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 19:213-27. 2005..Whereas small-sized gastrinoma, somatostatinoma, glucagonoma, carcinoid and VIPoma are frequently detected by somatostatin receptor scintigraphy, insulinoma may escape detection due to reduced ..
- Congenital intrahepatic arterioportal fistula presenting as severe undernutrition and chronic watery diarrhea in a 2-year-old girlAna Cristina Aoun Tannuri
Pediatric Surgery Division, Pediatric Liver Transplantation Unit and Laboratory of Research in Pediatric Surgery LIM 30, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pediatr Surg 44:e19-22. 2009..So, a left lobectomy was performed, with excellent results and prompt disappearance of the diarrhea. Hepatectomy should be considered as a definitive and reliable therapy for congenital IAPF...
- Biochemistry of neuroendocrine tumoursWouter W de Herder
Department of Internal Medicine, Sector of Endocrinology, Erasmus MC, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:33-41. 2007..Plasma vasointestinal polypeptide (VIP) determinations have been used in the diagnosis of VIPoma, plasma glucagon for glucagonoma, and serum somatostatin for somatostatinoma...
- [Intractable diarrhoea revealing a neuroblastoma hypersecreting the vasoactive intestinal peptide]B Bourgois
Clinique de Pediatrie, Hopital Jeanne de Flandre, 2, Avenue Oscar Lambret, 59037 Lille, France
Arch Pediatr 11:340-3. 2004..The serum concentration of VIP decreased to normal values soon after the surgical excision of the tumour...
- [Diagnosis and surgical treatment for pancreatic vasoactive intestine polypeptide tumor]Dipeng Ou
Department of Surgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 39:1045-8. 2014To explore the diagnosis and surgical treatment for pancreatic vasoactive intestine polypeptide tumor (VIPoma).
- Clinico-pathological features of cystic pancreatic endocrine neoplasms and a comparison with their solid counterpartsB K P Goh
Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:553-6. 2006..The aim of this study is to report our experience with cystic PENs and to compare their clinico-pathological features with their solid counterparts...
- Rare endocrine tumours of the GI tractGerard M Doherty
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, 2920 Taubman Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 19:807-17. 2005..Ultimately, the only curative treatment for these neoplasms is complete tumour resection, when feasible...
- VIPoma: a rare cause of a pancreatic massIlias Drivas
Department of PET and Nuclear Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050, Australia
Clin Nucl Med 29:201-3. 2004
- [Verner-Morrison syndrome: a case study]Csaba Halászlaki
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, I Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 151:1111-4. 2010..Typical symptoms play a momentous role in the diagnosis of VIPoma. Diarrhea may persist for years before the diagnosis...
- [Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP)]Shin ichiro Watanabe
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 63:502-4. 2005
- Enteroendocrine tumors other than carcinoid: a review of clinically significant advancesRichard R P Warner
Gastrointestinal Division, Department of Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10128, USA
Gastroenterology 128:1668-84. 2005..insulinoma [hypoglycemia], gastrinoma [Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (ZES)], vasoactive intestinal peptideoma [VIPoma], watery diarrhea, hypokalemia-achlorhydria [WDHA], glucagonoma [glucagonoma syndrome], and so forth)...
- Management of gastroentero-pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (GEP-NETs)K K Desai
Neuroendocrine Tumor Unit, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 55:425-43. 2009..Furthermore, additional scientific research and controlled clinical trials are needed to determine the efficacy of the many treatment options, which for these rare tumors can only be achieved by collaboration...
- [Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors]Luis Burgos
Departamento de Cirugia, Universidad de La Frontera, Servicio de Cirugia, Hospital Regional de Temuco, Chile
Rev Med Chil 132:627-34. 2004..Insulinoma, gastrinoma, glucagonoma, VIPoma (VIP=vasoactive intestinal peptide), somatostatinoma and ACTHoma are functioning tumors and they may also be part ..
- Solid tumors of the body and tail of the pancreasKatherine A Morgan
Section of Gastrointestinal and Laparoscopic Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, 25 Courtenay Drive Suite 7018, MSC 290, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Surg Clin North Am 90:287-307. 2010..Most lesions ultimately require operative resection, barring metastatic disease, with the notable exception of autoimmune pancreatitis...
- [Surgical treatment of gastric, enteric, and pancreatic endocrine tumors Part 1. Treatment of primary endocrine tumors]R Kianmanesh
Fédération d Hépato Gastroentérologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy
J Chir (Paris) 142:132-49. 2005..The long-term prognosis is nevertheless fairly good. But the eventual development of liver metastases which are the most common cause of mortality still argues for an aggressive surgical approach in the early stages of the disease...
- [Diagnosis of and therapy for endocrine tumors of the pancreas]Izumi Komoto
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 93:77-83. 2004
- Role of endoscopic ultrasound in evaluation of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors--report of 22 cases from a tertiary center in IranShirin Haghighi
Departments of Oncology, Gastroenterology and Liver Disease Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13:4537-40. 2012..EUS has an important role in detection of pNET. This is a review of clinical and radiological presentation and pathologic reports of 22 patients with pNET...
- Sporadic pancreatic vasoactive intestinal peptide-producing tumor (VIPoma) in a 47-year-old maleAhmed Abu-Zaid
College of Medicine, Alfaisal University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Oncology Center, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Electronic address
Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther 7:109-15. 2014b>VIPoma is an exceedingly unusual neuroendocrine neoplasm that autonomously secretes vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP). Its reported incidence is approximately 1 per 10 million individuals per year...
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: clinical features, diagnosis and medical treatment: advancesTetsuhide Ito
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 26:737-53. 2012..The other aspects of the management of these tumors (surgery, treatment of advanced disease, tumor localization) are not dealt with here, because they are covered in other chapters in this volume...
- [New considerations in the surgical treatment of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours]Gyula Farkas
Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar Sebészeti Klinika Szeged Szőkefalvi Nagy B u 6 6720
Orv Hetil 154:1565-8. 2013..The aim of this review is to summarize novel developments in the surgical treatment of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours, including those related to metastatic diseases and MEN1 syndrome...
- [Multimodal imaging of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors]K Müssig
Rofo 180:373-9. 2008
- Pheochromocytoma with histologic transformation to composite type, complicated by watery diarrhea, hypokalemia, and achlorhydria syndromeYuki Kikuchi
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Japan
Endocr Pract 18:e91-6. 2012..To describe the rare occurrence of histologic transformation of a pheochromocytoma to a composite type of tumor during a long-term follow-up, which was complicated by watery diarrhea, hypokalemia, and achlorhydria syndrome...
- Dpc4 is expressed in virtually all primary and metastatic pancreatic endocrine carcinomasAldo Scarpa
Dipartimento di Patologia, Universita di Verona, Italy
Virchows Arch 440:155-9. 2002..The cancers included 18 nonfunctioning tumours, one gastrinoma and one ViPoma all with liver, nodal and/or adrenal metastases...
- [Malignant endocrine tumor of the pancreas and ensuing clinical syndromes]M Boumghar
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, Service de Chirurgie A, Lausanne, Suisse
J Chir (Paris) 125:174-7. 1988..This observation is the basis of a discussion on the multisecretory aspect of endocrine tumors of the pancreas...
- Sunitinib achieved fast and sustained control of VIPoma symptomsLouis de Mestier
Department of Hepato Gastroenterology and Digestive OncologyHôpital Robert Debré, Boulevard du général Koenig, 51100 Reims Cedex, FranceDepartment of Gastroenterology and Digestive OncologyHospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Eur J Endocrinol 172:K1-3. 2015..Two patients with progressive metastatic pancreatic NETs and refractory VIPoma symptoms were treated with sunitinib...
- Anomalous overexpression of p27(Kip1) in sporadic pancreatic endocrine tumorsS S Guo
Department of Surgery, West Los Angeles Veterans Administration Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Surg Res 96:284-8. 2001..These studies suggest a unique molecular pathway leading to endocrine tumorigenesis...
- A ten-year retrospective analysis of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (GEP-NETs) in MalaysiaM Gunavathy
Hospital Sg Buloh, Department of Medicine, Selangor, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 69:133-7. 2014..cohort (n=64) included the diagnoses of carcinoid, (n=26, 41%), insulinoma, (n=25, 39%), undetermined (n=10, 16%), VIPoma, glucagonoma and multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEn-1) (n= 3)...
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: biology, diagnosis,and treatmentCynthia Ro
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Chin J Cancer 32:312-24. 2013..The clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment of specific types of PNETs and familial PNET syndromes, including the novel Mahvash disease, are summarized...
- [The VIP-secreting tumor as a differential diagnosis of protracted diarrhea in pediatrics]T Reindl
Klinik für Pädiatrie m S Onkologie Hämatologie Otto Heubner Zentrum für Kinder und Jugendmedizin
Klin Padiatr 216:264-9. 2004..Despite the clinical severity diagnosis of a VIP-secreting tumor is often delayed and subsequently its extirpation as the mainstay of therapy...
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms: diagnosis and managementAparna Balachandran
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 1473, P O Box 301402, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Abdom Imaging 38:342-57. 2013..There is an increased role for both anatomic and functional imaging in the assessment of these neoplasms. A review of the nomenclature, staging, and imaging is presented in this paper...
- [Neuroendocrine tumors of the digestive system]Laszlo Pronai
Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Semmelweis Egyetem, Budapest
Orv Hetil 143:1081-6. 2002..Somatostatin analogues alone or in combination with other pharmacological therapies may be used effectively for elimination of symptoms of hormonal oversection and, in a number of cases, for diminishing tumor progression...
- Calcitonin-secreting VIPomaChristian Jackson
Division of Gastroenterology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:2203-6. 2005
- Outcome of duodenopancreatic resections in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1Detlef K Bartsch
Department of Surgery, Division of Endocrinology, Philipps University Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Ann Surg 242:757-64, discussion 764-6. 2005..To evaluate the outcome of an aggressive surgical approach for duodenopancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PETs) associated with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1)...
- [Endocrine tumors of the pancreas]J L Schlienger
CHU de Strasbourg
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:64-8. 2005
- The current management of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsTrevor A Ellison
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1550 Orleans Street, CRB II, Room 506, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Adv Surg 46:283-96. 2012..With growing interest in this type of neoplasm, an increasing number of clinical trials and natural history studies should shed light on the best management for these patients...
- Rapidly growing collagenomas in multiple endocrine neoplasia type IYang Xia
Department of Dermatology at National Capital Consortium, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:877-80. 2007..growth of multiple collagenomas after pancreatic enucleation of a vasoactive intestinal peptide-secreting tumor (VIPoma) and excision of multiple pancreatic masses...
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas, excluding gastrinomaAntonia E Stephen
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 15:497-510. 2006..Finally, liver transplantation in very select patients may prolong survival and alleviate debilitating symptoms...
- Radiofrequency tissue ablation using cooled tip for liver metastases of endocrine tumorsPer Hellman
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
World J Surg 26:1052-6. 2002..endocrine tumors (12 with midgut carcinoid disease; 4 with nonfunctional endocrine pancreatic tumors; 1 with a VIPoma; 1 with a glucagonoma; 1 with a gastrinoma; 2 with adrenal carcinomas)...
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumoursJ Ruiz-Tovar
Servicio de Cirugia General, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 10:493-7. 2008..Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (PNT) are infrequent epithelial neoplasms associated with a better outcome than pancreatic adenocarcinoma...
- Diarrhea caused by circulating agentsElisabeth Fabian
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 41:603-10. 2012..Although sodium plays the main role in water and electrolyte absorption, chloride is the major ion involved in secretion...
- VIPoma of pancreas in a childS C Samal
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore
Indian J Gastroenterol 19:194-5. 2000An eleven-year-old girl had massive watery diarrhea. She was found to have pancreatic VIPoma. It responded favorably to surgical resection of the tumor. There was no tumor recurrence at 18 months of follow-up.
- Diarrhoea in vipoma patients associated with cosecretion of a second active peptide (peptide histidine isoleucine) explained by single coding geneS R Bloom
Lancet 2:1163-5. 1983..42 patients with high plasma VIP secondary to VIPoma also had very high plasma PHI-like immunoreactivity, in a constant ratio to VIP...
- Functional assessment in the multimodality imaging of pancreatic neuro-endocrine tumoursK Bhate
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Imperial Healthcare Trust, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Minerva Endocrinol 35:17-25. 2010....
- Malignant pancreatic tumors in childhood and adolescence: The Memorial Sloan-Kettering experience, 1967 to presentNicholas A Shorter
Department of Surgery and Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:887-92. 2002..As a result, the treatment approach to these patients has yet to be standardized, and much of the information available in the literature, particularly with regard to the role of chemotherapy and radiation, is anecdotal...
- Do elevated plasma vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP) levels cause small intestinal motor disturbances in humans?Jutta Keller
Israelitic Hospital, Hamburg, Germany
Dig Dis Sci 50:276-82. 2005..Hence, it is unlikely that VIP-mediated small intestinal motor disturbances cause symptoms in VIPOMA. Yet VIP may contribute to terminate phase III motility.
- Rapid and sustained relief from the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome: results from an open 6-month study of the 28-day prolonged-release formulation of lanreotidePhilippe Ruszniewski
Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Neuroendocrinology 80:244-51. 2004..Treatment was well tolerated. 28-day PR lanreotide was effective in reducing the symptoms and biochemical markers associated with carcinoid syndrome...
- Inflammatory breast cancer with refractory diarrhea: a case reportJoseph Kattan
Department of Hematology Oncology, St Joseph Hospital, Raymond and Aida Najjar Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
J Med Liban 59:165-7. 2011..To our best knowledge, this unusual presentation of a breast carcinoma with related VIPoma syndrome is the first reported case in the literature.
- [Minimally invasive resection of neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors]P Langer
Klinik für Visceral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg GmbH, Standort Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, Marburg, Germany
Chirurg 80:105-12. 2009..Neither sporadic and MEN1-associated gastrinomas nor the very rare glucagonomas and vasoactive intestinal peptide-producing tumors (vipomas), which are often large and malignant, should also be tackled laparoscopically...
- [Pancreatic VIPoma. Report of one case]Angélica Urdangarin
Departamento de Medicina, Campus Centro Universidad de Chile
Rev Med Chil 138:841-6. 2010Neuroendocrine tumors are uncommon, including VIPoma that produces vasoactive intestinal polypeptide. We report a 45-year-old female presenting with a history of diarrhea lasting three months...
- Radioembolization with selective internal radiation microspheres for neuroendocrine liver metastasesJulie King
Department of Surgery, University of New South Wales, St George Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Cancer 113:921-9. 2008..In this study, the authors prospectively assessed the safety and efficacy of treatment with yttrium 90 ((90)Y) radioactive microspheres for patients with unresectable NETLMs...
- VIPoma Crisis: Immediate and life saving reduction of massive stool volumes on starting treatment with octreotideOmayma Elshafie
Departments of Medicine and
Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J 11:104-7. 2011..After one day he was extubated and his blood pressure returned to normal. When a functioning neuroendocrine tumour is suspected clinically, the use of octreotide can, as in this case, be life saving...
- Prognostic validity of a novel American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Classification for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsJonathan R Strosberg
Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:3044-9. 2011..This classification has not yet been validated...
- [A long-term survival case of recurrent pancreatic vipoma with liver metastases treated by a combination of surgical resection and loco-regional therapies]Hiroyoshi Matsukawa
Dept of Surgery, Hiroshima City Hospital
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 38:2158-60. 2011We report a case of recurrent pancreatic VIPoma with liver and peritoneal metastases who has been surviving over 7 years by a successful treatment with a combination of surgical resection and loco-regional therapies...
- VIPoma syndrome: challenges in managementN Adam
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur 50603, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 51:e129-32. 2010Vasoactive intestinal peptide-producing tumour (VIPoma) or Verner-Morrison syndrome is a very rare neuroendocrine tumour...
- Hypokalemic rhabdomyolysis due to watery diarrhea, hypokalemia, achlorhydria (WDHA) syndrome caused by vipomaRizwan Kibria
Department of Gastroenterology, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45428, USA
South Med J 102:761-4. 2009..Although rare in occurrence, a high index of suspicion is of paramount importance for establishing the correct diagnosis and treatment...
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreasJacek Dadan
Department of General and Endocrinological Surgery, Medical University of Bialystok, Poland
Wiad Lek 61:43-7. 2008..The most often NET of the pancreas are insulinoma, gastrinoma, glucagonoma, somatostatinoma, VIPoma. There is a recommendation to assay hormonal activity, measure concentration of specific peptides, biogenic amines ..
- [Rare pancreatic endocrine tumors]Robert Krysiak
Klinika Chorób Wewnetrznych i Farmakologii Klinicznej, Slaski Uniwersytet Medyczny, Katowice
Przegl Lek 65:209-16. 2008..The purpose of this manuscript is to provide an overview of the contemporary etiopathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of rare pancreatic endocrine tumors...
- Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic vasoactive intestinal peptide endocrine tumorsShaowei Song
Department of General Surgery, The First Hospital, China Medical University, Heping District, Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, PR China
Pancreas 38:811-4. 2009..To discuss our experience in diagnosing and treating pancreatic vasoactive intestinal peptide-secreting tumors (VIPomas) by summarizing clinical information of 4 patients...
- The surgical and systemic management of neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreasGerard J Abood
Department of General Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Surg Clin North Am 89:249-66, x. 2009..Although hepatic artery embolization is currently the preferred mode of nonsurgical palliation for pain and hormonal symptoms, other modalities may play a role in metastatic disease...
- Calcitonin-secreting pancreatic endocrine tumors: systematic analysis of a rare tumor entityRalph Schneider
Department of Visceral, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Pancreas 40:213-21. 2011..Reports focusing on calcitonin-secreting PET (CTsPETs) are very rare. This study aimed to define a CTsPET-associated syndrome in regard to chemical, anatomical, and developmental aspects...
- Prevalence of cholera in pediatric patients with acute dehydrating diarrheaVijesh S Kuttiat
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pediatr 77:67-71. 2010..To estimate the prevalence of culture-confirmed cholera in patients with acute dehydrating diarrhea, at a tertiary care center in north India, during a 6-month period from March to August, 2006...
- Characterization of an outbreak of astroviral diarrhea in a group of cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus)Adrienne Atkins
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Vet Microbiol 136:160-5. 2009..All animals were monitored and treated with bismuth subsalicylate tablets (524mg PO BID for 5 days), and recovered without additional intervention. This is the first report we are aware of documenting an astrovirus outbreak in cheetah...
- Amelioration of symptoms and reduction of VIP levels after hepatic artery chemoembolization in a patient with sandostatin resistant VIPomaWalid Shaib
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Yale J Biol Med 83:27-33. 2010..We report a successful treatment of VIPoma with hepatic chemoembolization of a metastatic hepatic lesion evidenced by a reduction of VIP levels and ..
- [Verner-Morrison syndrome revealing a ganglioneuroblastoma in an adult]C Neuzillet
Pôle des Maladies de l Appareil Digestif, Hopital Beaujon, 100 Boulevard du General Leclerc, 92118 Clichy Cedex, France
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 32:282-8. 2008..The diarrhea resolved after the resection of primary tumour and liver metastases. Neuroblastic tumours occur extremely rarely in adults. Thus, the management of these tumours is poorly defined in adults...
- Central pancreatectomy: single-center experience of 50 casesMustapha Adham
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Department of Hepato Bilio Pancreatic Surgery and Transplantation, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Arch Surg 143:175-80; discussion 180-1. 2008..Three patients had associated procedures, 1 each for metastatic liver cytoreduction (VIPoma), hydatid liver disease, and pancreatic resection for multifocal mucinous cystadenoma...
- [Acrocyanosis: crucial symptom in a case of chronic diarrhea and weight loss]N Hackelsberger
Abteilung für Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Städtisches Krankenhaus München Bogenhausen, Munchen
Internist (Berl) 44:1437-43. 2003..A leading tool for diagnosis and therapy proved to be small bowel manometry which is further discussed in this case report...
- Coproantibodies to the enteropathogenic Escherichia coli vaccine candidates BfpA and EspB in breastfed and artificially fed childrenRegina Célia de Souza Campos Fernandes
Hospital Estadual Ferreira Machado, Campos dos Goytacazes RJ, Brazil
Vaccine 21:1725-31. 2003....
- [W.D.H.A. Syndrome due to occult neuroendocrine malignancy with concomitant liver metastases]M Rammer
I Interne Abteilung Gastroenterologie, Allgemeines öffentliches Krankenhaus der Barmherzigen Schwestern, Wels, Austria
Z Gastroenterol 41:185-9. 2003..The existence of secretory diarrhoea, hypokalaemia and hypercalcaemia arouses suspicion of vipoma. This is proven by a remarkably elevated plasma concentration of vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)...
- Benefits from artificial nutritional support: a testimonialMaria Eugenia Mansilla
Nutrition 19:78-80. 2003
- Expression of somatostatin receptor and effects of somatostatin analog on pancreatic endocrine tumorsYasushi Oda
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute cho, Aichi Gun, Japan
Surg Today 32:690-4. 2002....
- [WDHA syndrome by composite pheochromocytoma and ganglioneuroma]Atsushi Ishiguro
Department of Endocrinology, Aomori Prefecture Central Hospital
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 91:1585-8. 2002
- Outcome of laparoscopic pancreatic surgery: endocrine and nonendocrine tumorsL Fernandez-Cruz
Department of Surgery, Institute of Digestive Diseases IMD, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villarroel, 170, Scalera 6, 4th Floor, Spain
World J Surg 26:1057-65. 2002..6 sporadic insulinomas, 1 multiple insulinoma of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1, 2 nonfunctioning tumors, 1 VIPoma) and 8 CyNPs (3 serous cystadenomas, 5 mucinous cystic neoplasms)...
- Dynamic gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging of pancreatic VIPoma in a patient with Verner-Morrison syndromeK J Mortele
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Gent, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Eur Radiol 11:1952-5. 2001We describe a rare case of a pancreatic VIPoma diagnosed in a patient presenting with watery diarrhea, hypokalemia, and achlorhydria, the so-called WDHA or Verner-Morrison syndrome...
- Somatostatin receptor scintigraphy: the definitive technique for characterizing vasoactive intestinal peptide-secreting tumorsJ W Thomason
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, USA
Clin Nucl Med 25:661-4. 2000..The authors describe a patient who was found to have a VIPoma after 3 years of symptoms...
- NEURAL & 2ND MESSENGER CONTROL OF INTESTINAL TRANSPORTCharles Yeo; Fiscal Year: 1993..resistance, and may suggest neural or humoral manipulations which would favorably alter disease states such as secretory diarrhea (carcinoid, VIPoma) or diarrhea associated with autonomic dysfunction (diabetes, bowel transplantation).