Genomes and Genes
Summary: Tumors or cancer of the ESOPHAGUS.
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancerDavid Cunningham
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:11-20. 2006..We assessed whether the addition of a perioperative regimen of ECF to surgery improves outcomes among patients with potentially curable gastric cancer...
- Esophageal cancerPeter C Enzinger
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2241-52. 2003
- A shared susceptibility locus in PLCE1 at 10q23 for gastric adenocarcinoma and esophageal squamous cell carcinomaChristian C Abnet
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 42:764-7. 2010..19 x 10(-15); OR = 1.57), and for those in the noncardia stomach it was absent (P = 0.44; OR = 1.05). Our findings at 10q23 could provide insight into the high incidence of both cancers in China...
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancerDavid Cunningham
Royal Marsden Hospital National Health Service Foundation Trust, Surrey and London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 358:36-46. 2008..We evaluated capecitabine (an oral fluoropyrimidine) and oxaliplatin (a platinum compound) as alternatives to infused fluorouracil and cisplatin, respectively, for untreated advanced esophagogastric cancer...
- Genome-wide association study of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Chinese subjects identifies susceptibility loci at PLCE1 and C20orf54Li Dong Wang
Cancer Research Center, Xinxiang Medical University, Xinxiang, Henan, China
Nat Genet 42:759-63. 2010..PLCE1 might regulate cell growth, differentiation, apoptosis and angiogenesis. C20orf54 is responsible for transporting riboflavin, and deficiency of riboflavin has been documented as a risk factor for ESCC and GCA...
- MicroRNA expression in squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus: associations with survivalEwy A Mathe
Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:6192-200. 2009....
- Survival after neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy for resectable oesophageal carcinoma: an updated meta-analysisKatrin M Sjoquist
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet Oncol 12:681-92. 2011..We updated this meta-analysis with results from new or updated randomised trials presented in the past 3 years. We also compared the benefits of preoperative neoadjuvant chemotherapy compared with neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy...
- Genome wide analysis of DNA copy number neutral loss of heterozygosity (CNNLOH) and its relation to gene expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaNan Hu
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
BMC Genomics 11:576. 2010..In the current study we focused on copy number neutral (CN = 2) LOH (CNNLOH) and its relation to gene expression in ESCC...
- Genome-wide association study identifies three new susceptibility loci for esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma in Chinese populationsChen Wu
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Nat Genet 43:679-84. 2011..92 × 10(-56)). These findings highlight the involvement of multiple genetic loci and gene-environment interaction in the development of esophageal cancer...
- Oral bisphosphonates and risk of cancer of oesophagus, stomach, and colorectum: case-control analysis within a UK primary care cohortJane Green
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 341:c4444. 2010..To examine the hypothesis that risk of oesophageal, but not of gastric or colorectal, cancer is increased in users of oral bisphosphonates...
- Phase III comparison of preoperative chemotherapy compared with chemoradiotherapy in patients with locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junctionMichael Stahl
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Henricistr 92, D 45136 Essen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 27:851-6. 2009..Preoperative chemotherapy is an accepted standard in the treatment of localized esophagogastric adenocarcinoma. Adding radiation therapy to preoperative chemotherapy appears promising, but its definitive value remains unknown...
- Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux as a risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinomaJ Lagergren
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
N Engl J Med 340:825-31. 1999..The causes of adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and gastric cardia are poorly understood. We conducted an epidemiologic investigation of the possible association between gastroesophageal reflux and these tumors...
- Genotypic variants at 2q33 and risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in China: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studiesChristian C Abnet
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7236, USA
Hum Mol Genet 21:2132-41. 2012..Future studies of esophageal and other cancers should focus on comprehensive sequencing of this 2q33 locus and functional analysis of rs13016963 and rs10201587 and other strongly correlated variants...
- Survival benefits from neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy or chemotherapy in oesophageal carcinoma: a meta-analysisVal Gebski
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Lancet Oncol 8:226-34. 2007..We aimed to clarify the benefits of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy or chemotherapy versus surgery alone by a meta-analysis of randomised trial data...
- MicroRNA-25 promotes cell migration and invasion in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaXiaohui Xu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 421:640-5. 2012..These results, for the first time, demonstrate that miR-25 promotes ESCC cell migration and invasion by suppressing CDH1 expression...
- Comparative genomic analysis of esophageal adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinomaNishant Agrawal
Ludwig Center for Cancer Genetics and Therapeutics and Howard Hughes Medical Institutions, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Cancer Discov 2:899-905. 2012..Finally, we provide a genetic basis for the evolution of EACs from Barrett esophagus...
- Clinicopathological features and prognostic factors of adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction according to Siewert classification: experiences at a single institution in JapanYuichi Hosokawa
Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 19:677-83. 2012..The aims of this study are to evaluate results of surgery for AEG, to clarify clinicopathological differences according to the Siewert classification, and to define prognostic factors...
- Time course of tumor metabolic activity during chemoradiotherapy of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and response to treatmentHinrich A Wieder
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Ismaningerstrasse 22, D 81675 Munich, Germany
J Clin Oncol 22:900-8. 2004....
- Chemoradiotherapy of locally advanced esophageal cancer: long-term follow-up of a prospective randomized trial (RTOG 85-01). Radiation Therapy Oncology GroupJ S Cooper
Department of Radiation Oncology, New York University, NY, USA
JAMA 281:1623-7. 1999..We previously reported results of a study conducted from January 1986 to April 1990 of combined chemotherapy and RT vs RT alone when an interim analysis revealed significant benefit for combined therapy...
- MicroRNA-10b promotes migration and invasion through KLF4 in human esophageal cancer cell linesYanyan Tian
Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China
J Biol Chem 285:7986-94. 2010....
- The role of overdiagnosis and reclassification in the marked increase of esophageal adenocarcinoma incidenceHeiko Pohl
VA Outcomes Group 111B, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 0500, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:142-6. 2005....
- Cancer of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: data-driven staging for the seventh edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer/International Union Against Cancer Cancer Staging ManualsThomas W Rice
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart and Vascular Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Cancer 116:3763-73. 2010..At the request of the AJCC, worldwide data from 3 continents were assembled to develop data-driven, harmonized esophageal staging for the seventh edition of the AJCC/UICC cancer staging manuals...
- Prospective study of risk factors for esophageal and gastric cancers in the Linxian general population trial cohort in ChinaGina D Tran
Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 8314, USA
Int J Cancer 113:456-63. 2005..General socioeconomic status (SES) is a common denominator in many of these factors and improving SES is a promising approach for reducing the tremendous burden of upper gastrointestinal cancers in Linxian...
- Phase III trial of trimodality therapy with cisplatin, fluorouracil, radiotherapy, and surgery compared with surgery alone for esophageal cancer: CALGB 9781Joel Tepper
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7512, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1086-92. 2008..To this end, we compared survival, response, and patterns of failure of trimodality therapy to esophagectomy alone in patients with nonmetastatic esophageal cancer...
- Exposure to oral bisphosphonates and risk of esophageal cancerChris R Cardwell
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Grosvenor Rd, Belfast BT12 6BJ, United Kingdom
JAMA 304:657-63. 2010..Esophagitis is a known adverse effect of bisphosphonate use, and recent reports suggest a link between bisphosphonate use and esophageal cancer, but this has not been robustly investigated...
- Tumor-stroma ratio is an independent predictor for survival in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaKai Wang
Oncology Center, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, People s Republic of China
J Thorac Oncol 7:1457-61. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognostic value of TSR in resected esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- PIK3CA mutation is associated with a favorable prognosis among patients with curatively resected esophageal squamous cell carcinomaHironobu Shigaki
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 19:2451-9. 2013..However, the influence of PIK3CA mutations on the prognosis of patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) remains unclear...
- Risk factors for esophageal and gastric cancers in Shanxi Province, China: a case-control studyYing Gao
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Epidemiol 35:e91-9. 2011..Smoking and alcohol consumption explain little of the risk for upper-gastrointestinal (UGI) cancer in China, where over half of all cases in the world occur...
- Association of genetic polymorphisms in MDM2, PTEN and P53 with risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinomaJuan Ma
Department of Gastroenterology, Qianfoshan Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
J Hum Genet 57:261-4. 2012....
- Identification of a DNA methylome signature of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and potential epigenetic biomarkersSheila C S Lima
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Epigenetics 6:1217-27. 2011..Methylome analysis is shown as a sensitive and powerful tool to identify molecular players in ESCC. These data should prove to be the reference for future studies identifying potential biomarkers and molecular targets in ESCC...
- Strong interaction between the effects of alcohol consumption and smoking on oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma among individuals with ADH1B and/or ALDH2 risk allelesFumiaki Tanaka
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Gut 59:1457-64. 2010..Oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is considered a difficult cancer to cure. The detection of environmental and genetic factors is important for prevention on an individual basis...
- MiR-142-3p as a potential prognostic biomarker for esophageal squamous cell carcinomaRui Jun Lin
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Shantou University, Shantou, Guangdong, PR China
J Surg Oncol 105:175-82. 2012..The aim of this study was to examine and determine the clinical significance of hsa-miR-31, hsa-miR-142-3p, hsa-miR-338-3p, and hsa-miR-1261 expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- Hypermethylation of multiple tumor-related genes associated with DNMT3b up-regulation served as a biomarker for early diagnosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinomaBo Li
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Epigenetics 6:307-16. 2011..A cluster of multiple methylated genes in serum DNA has the potential as a novel biomarker for ESCC diagnosis...
- Genomewide mRNA profiling of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma for identification of cancer biomarkersManoj Kumar Kashyap
Institute of Bioinformatics, International Technology Park, Bangalore, India
Cancer Biol Ther 8:36-46. 2009..Overall, using this approach we have identified a number of promising novel candidates that can be validated further for their potential to serve as biomarkers for ESCC...
- Global gene expression profiling and validation in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and its association with clinical phenotypesHua Su
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, DCEG, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:2955-66. 2011..Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) is an aggressive tumor with poor prognosis. Understanding molecular changes in ESCC will enable identification of molecular subtypes and provide potential targets for early detection and therapy...
- Demographic variations in the rising incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma in white malesE Bollschweiler
Department of Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Cancer 92:549-55. 2001..The purpose of the current investigation was to collect the available data and to analyze them in a unified manner...
- Oesophageal cancer incidence in the United States by race, sex, and histologic type, 1977-2005M B Cook
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20852 7234, USA
Br J Cancer 101:855-9. 2009....
- Functional variants in ADH1B and ALDH2 coupled with alcohol and smoking synergistically enhance esophageal cancer riskRi Cui
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Gastroenterology 137:1768-75. 2009..Therefore, identification of epidemiologic factors that influence the development of ESCC would facilitate prevention and/or early detection of the disease...
- Survivin in esophageal cancer: An accurate prognostic marker for squamous cell carcinoma but not adenocarcinomaAntonio Rosato
Department of Oncology and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Int J Cancer 119:1717-22. 2006..0147). In esophageal adenocarcinoma, survivin expression and pattern of distribution had no prognostic relevance. Thus, quantifying survivin expression provides a prognostic marker only for esophageal squamous tumors...
- Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische OnkologieSalah Eddin Al-Batran
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Krankenhaus Nordwest, Frankfurt, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:1435-42. 2008..This study was designed to compare fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin with fluorouracil, leucovorin, and cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer...
- Management of primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagusKe lin Sun
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:355-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to analyze the clinical manifestations, pathological features and treatment of primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagus...
- Epidemiology and pathogenesis of esophageal cancerRebecca S Holmes
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 17:2-9. 2007..Lifestyle changes, such as weight loss and exercise, are additional ways in which the incidence of ACE might be reduced...
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagusJima Lv
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital Institute, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, China
J Thorac Oncol 3:1460-5. 2008..Primary small cell esophageal carcinoma (SCEC) is a rare and aggressive disease for which there is no recommended standard treatment at this time...
- Genetic variations in the PI3K/PTEN/AKT/mTOR pathway are associated with clinical outcomes in esophageal cancer patients treated with chemoradiotherapyMichelle A T Hildebrandt
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:857-71. 2009....
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagus: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical features of 21 casesJing Ping Yun
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China, Cancer Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
BMC Cancer 7:38. 2007....
- Selectively advantageous mutations and hitchhikers in neoplasms: p16 lesions are selected in Barrett's esophagusCarlo C Maley
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Cancer Res 64:3414-27. 2004..Virtually all of the other lesion expansions, including microsatellite shifts, could be explained as hitchhikers on p16 lesion clonal expansions. These techniques can be applied to any neoplasm...
- Randomized trial of preoperative chemoradiation versus surgery alone in patients with locoregional esophageal carcinomaS G Urba
University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:305-13. 2001..We designed a randomized trial to compare survival for patients treated with this preoperative chemoradiation regimen versus surgery alone...
- INT 0123 (Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 94-05) phase III trial of combined-modality therapy for esophageal cancer: high-dose versus standard-dose radiation therapyBruce D Minsky
Department of Radiation Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:1167-74. 2002..To compare the local/regional control, survival, and toxicity of combined-modality therapy using high-dose (64.8 Gy) versus standard-dose (50.4 Gy) radiation therapy for the treatment of patients with esophageal cancer...
- MicroRNA expression profiles of esophageal cancerAndrew Feber
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:255-60; discussion 260. 2008..The purpose of our study was to examine microRNA expression in Barrett esophagus and esophageal cancer to identify potential markers for disease progression...
- Effect of the number of lymph nodes sampled on postoperative survival of lymph node-negative esophageal cancerAlexander J Greenstein
Department of General Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Cancer 112:1239-46. 2008..In the current study, the association between survival and the number of LNs evaluated was examined in patients who underwent resection of lymph node-negative (American Joint Committee on Cancer [AJCC] TNM stage I-IIA) esophageal cancer...
- Elevation of preoperative serum C-reactive protein level is related to poor prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaHideaki Shimada
Department of Academic Surgery, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
J Surg Oncol 83:248-52. 2003..The aim of this study was to analyze the clinicopathological significance and the prognostic value of preoperative CRP levels in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinomas...
- Long-term results of a randomized trial of surgery with or without preoperative chemotherapy in esophageal cancerWilliam H Allum
Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden National Health Services Foundation Trust, London, UK
J Clin Oncol 27:5062-7. 2009..Initial results reported in 2002 demonstrated an advantage for both disease-free and overall survival in the CS group. The analysis has now been updated after a median follow-up of 6 years...
- Genetic polymorphisms and esophageal cancer riskToru Hiyama
Health Service Center, Hiroshima University, Higashihiroshima, Japan
Int J Cancer 121:1643-58. 2007....
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of early esophageal cancerTsuneo Oyama
Department of Gastroenterology, Saku General Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:S67-70. 2005..Endoscopic submucosal dissection with the hook knife is a method of endoluminal surgery enabling large en bloc resections without increased surgical risks...
- Relative prognostic value of TNM7 vs TNM6 in staging oesophageal cancerT D Reid
Department of Surgery, South East Wales Cancer Network, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Br J Cancer 105:842-6. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine the influence of the new TNM7 oesophageal cancer (OC) system on stage categorisation and survival when compared with historical controls...
- Minimally invasive versus open oesophagectomy for patients with oesophageal cancer: a multicentre, open-label, randomised controlled trialSurya S A Y Biere
Department of Surgery, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 379:1887-92. 2012..We assessed whether minimally invasive oesophagectomy reduces morbidity compared with open oesophagectomy...
- Protein alterations in ESCC and clinical implications: a reviewD C Lin
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Dis Esophagus 22:9-20. 2009....
- Early enteral nutrition reduces the rate of life-threatening complications after thoracic esophagectomy in patients with esophageal cancerT Fujita
Division of Esophageal Surgery, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Eur Surg Res 48:79-84. 2012..However, whether enteral nutrition decreases rates of surgical complications and increases the completion rate of the clinical management pathway is unclear...
- MiRNA-205 modulates cellular invasion and migration via regulating zinc finger E-box binding homeobox 2 expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma cellsKayoko Matsushima
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Nagasaki University Hospital, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
J Transl Med 9:30. 2011..Accumulating evidence indicates that deregulation of miR is associated with human malignancies including ESCC. The aim of this study was to identify miR that could be specifically expressed and exert distinct biological actions in ESCC...
- Targeting the human EGFR family in esophagogastric cancerAlicia Okines
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Downs Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5PT, UK
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 8:492-503. 2011..We discuss the preclinical rationale for targeting human EGFRs and recent clinical reports of these targeted agents in esophagogastric cancer...
- Lymph node metastases and prognosis in oesophageal carcinoma--a systematic reviewB Kayani
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 37:747-53. 2011..This review discusses the prognostic and treatment implications of these modifications and explores micrometastatic lymph node involvement, capsular infiltration and lymph node ratio as possible additions to the staging system...
- STC2: a predictive marker for lymph node metastasis in esophageal squamous-cell carcinomaYoshiaki Kita
Department of Surgery, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Beppu, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 18:261-72. 2011..We sought to identify genes associated with the progression and metastasis of esophageal squamous-cell cancer by comparing the expression profiles of normal, primary cancer, and metastatic cancer cells isolated with laser microdissection...
- Prognostic significance of activated CD8(+) T cell infiltrations within esophageal carcinomasK Schumacher
Department of Surgery and Surgical Oncology, , Humboldt University of Berlin, Lindenberger Weg 80, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Cancer Res 61:3932-6. 2001..5; P = 0.0004) indicating favorable outcome. In conclusion, the presence of CD8(+) T cell infiltration in esophageal carcinomas is a favorable prognostic factor that should have diagnostic and therapeutic implications...
- Molecular targeted agents for gastric and gastroesophageal junction cancerTakashi Oshima
Gastroenterological Center, Yokohama City University Medical Center, 4 57 Urafune cho, Minami Ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, 232 0024, Japan
Surg Today 42:313-27. 2012..In this review we focus on the recent developments in targeting relevant pathways in these types of cancer...
- A 4-gene signature predicts survival of patients with resected adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, junction, and gastric cardiaChristopher J Peters
MRC Cancer Cell Unit, Hutchison MRC Research Centre, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Gastroenterology 139:1995-2004.e15. 2010..Current staging is limited in its ability to predict survival which has ramifications for treatment choices. The aim of this study was to generate and validate a molecular prognostic signature for esophageal adenocarcinoma...
- Salvage concurrent radio-chemotherapy for post-operative local recurrence of squamous-cell esophageal cancerJian Zhang
Department of Thoracic Oncology and Radiation Oncology, Cancer Center, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, 610041, PR China
Radiat Oncol 7:93. 2012..To evaluate the treatment outcome of salvage concurrent radio-chemotherapy for patients with loco-recurrent esophageal cancer after surgery...
- Epidemiology of esophageal cancer: Orient to Occident. Effects of chronology, geography and ethnicityMichio Hongo
Department of Comprehensive Medicine, Tohoku University Hospital, Aoba, Sendai, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:729-35. 2009..Future trends will also be discussed...
- Mature results from a phase II trial of postoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for poor prognosis cancer of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junctionDavid J Adelstein
Department of Solid Tumor Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Institute, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Thorac Oncol 4:1264-9. 2009..Mature results are presented from a phase II trial of postoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy in patients with poor-prognosis cancer of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junction after primary surgical resection...
- Cervical or thoracic anastomosis after esophagectomy for cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysisS S A Y Biere
Department of Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 28:29-35. 2011..This systematic review was conducted in order to identify randomized trials that compare cervical with thoracic anastomosis...
- Association of a deletion of GSTT2B with an altered risk of oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a South African population: a case-control studyMarco Matejcic
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Cape Town Component, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 6:e29366. 2011....
- Surgery plus chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for localized squamous cell carcinoma of the thoracic esophagus: a Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study--JCOG9204Nobutoshi Ando
Departmentof Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Japan
J Clin Oncol 21:4592-6. 2003..We performed a multicenter randomized controlled trial to determine whether postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy improves outcome in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma undergoing radical surgery...
- Gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas of the esophagus, stomach, and colon exhibit distinct patterns of genome instability and oncogenesisAustin M Dulak
Departments of Medical Oncology, Cancer Biology and Center for Cancer Genome Discovery, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cancer Res 72:4383-93. 2012..Together, our results defined genomic features that were common and distinct to various gut-derived adenocarcinomas, potentially informing novel opportunities for targeted therapeutic interventions...
- Gastric acid suppression and risk of oesophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma: a nested case control study in the UKL A Garcia Rodriguez
Department of Surgery, P9 03, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Gut 55:1538-44. 2006..Gastric acid suppressing drugs (that is, histamine(2) receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors) could affect the risk of oesophageal or gastric adenocarcinoma but few studies are available...
- Genetic polymorphism of p53, but not GSTP1, is association with susceptibility to esophageal cancer risk - a meta-analysisYaping Zhao
Department of Laboratory, The 82th Hospital of the People s Liberation Army, Huaian, China
Int J Med Sci 7:300-8. 2010..Additional well-designed large studies were required for the validation of this association...
- An evaluation of the number of lymph nodes examined and survival for node-negative esophageal carcinoma: data from ChinaHao xian Yang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sun Yat sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1901-11. 2010..This study aimed to seek the minimum number of LNs examined for adequate nodal staging of patients with node-negative esophageal cancer...
- Long-term results of RTOG trial 8911 (USA Intergroup 113): a random assignment trial comparison of chemotherapy followed by surgery compared with surgery alone for esophageal cancerDavid P Kelsen
Gastrointestinal Oncology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:3719-25. 2007..The relationship between resection type and between tumor response and outcome were also analyzed...
- Incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus among white Americans by sex, stage, and ageLinda Morris Brown
Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1184-7. 2008..74 per 100,000 person-years (95% CI = 0.67 to 0.81), over the same time period. Adenocarcinoma rates rose among white men and women in all stage and age groups, indicating that these increases are real and not an artifact of surveillance...
- Recurrence pattern of squamous cell carcinoma of the thoracic esophagus after extended radical esophagectomy with three-field lymphadenectomySatoru Nakagawa
The Division of Digestive and General Surgery, Niigata Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Asahimachi dori 1 757, Niigata 951 8122, Japan
J Am Coll Surg 198:205-11. 2004..But even if this operation is performed, some patients still experience relapse of the disease. The purpose of this study was to clarify the pattern and timing of recurrence after extended radical esophagectomy...
- Overexpression of PIK3CA is associated with lymph node metastasis in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaIchiro Akagi
Department of Surgery for Organ Function and Biological Regulation, Nippon Medical School, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Int J Oncol 34:767-75. 2009..05). This study is the first report providing comprehensive analysis of PIK3CA expression in ESCC. These results indicate that PIK3CA may play a crucial role in the development of ESCC and serve as an indicator for lymph node metastasis...
- EGFR protein overexpression and gene amplification in squamous cell carcinomas of the esophagusMitsuhiko Hanawa
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Japan
Int J Cancer 118:1173-80. 2006..We assume that combined analyses by immunohistochemistry/FISH would clarify aberrations in protein and gene function, and could help to identify those patients who may benefit from anti-EGFR therapy...
- Incidence and survival trends of esophageal carcinoma in the United States: racial and gender differences by histological typeM Younes
Dept of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:1359-65. 2002....
- Are squamous and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus the same disease?J Rudiger Siewert
Department of Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Semin Radiat Oncol 17:38-44. 2007..We suggest that the two different tumor entities should be analyzed and reported separately to provide comparable results in the future...
- Tumor-associated macrophages and CD3-zeta expression of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in human esophageal squamous-cell carcinomaS J Guo
Department of Immunology, Cancer Institute and Cancer Hospital, Peking Uninion Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, PR China
Dis Esophagus 20:107-16. 2007..029 and P = 0.031, respectively)...
- Adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction: influence of esophageal resection margin and operative approach on outcomeAndrew P Barbour
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Surg 246:1-8. 2007..To determine whether the length of esophageal resection or the operative approach influences outcome for patients with adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction (GEJ)...
- Analysis of reduced death and complication rates after esophageal resectionB P Whooley
Department of Surgery, St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York Medical College, New York City, New York, USA
Ann Surg 233:338-44. 2001..These results are largely attributable to factors aimed at reducing postoperative pulmonary complications...
- Long-term outcome after endoscopic mucosal resection in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma invading the muscularis mucosae or deeperYuichi Shimizu
Division of Endoscopy, Third Department of Internal Medicine, Hokkaido University Medical Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 56:387-90. 2002..This study prospectively evaluated long-term outcome in such patients...
- Inflammation and esophageal carcinogenesisMohamed M M Abdel-Latif
Department of Clinical Medicine, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Curr Opin Pharmacol 9:396-404. 2009..Understanding the molecular pathways involved in inflammation-associated esophageal tumorigenesis could enable the development of targeted therapies and offer a better therapeutic treatment in esophageal cancer...
- Isolation and identification of cancer stem-like cells in esophageal carcinoma cell linesDingzhi Huang
Department of Etiology and Carcinogenesis, Cancer Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Stem Cells Dev 18:465-73. 2009..Further understanding of tumor stem cell-specific traits will offer insights on the early stages of tumorigenesis for prevention and enhanced selectivity of antitumor therapeutics...
- Assessment of prognostic significance of cytoplasmic survivin expression in advanced oesophageal cancerA Dabrowski
2nd Department of General Surgery, Skubiszewski Medical University, Lublin, Poland
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 42:169-72. 2004..05). These results indicate that the cytoplasmic survivin expression does not seem to be the prognostic factor in advanced cases of OSCC...
- Risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma and mortality in patients with Barrett's esophagus: a systematic review and meta-analysisMarjolein Sikkema
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:235-44; quiz e32. 2010..We therefore performed a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the incidence of EAC and mortality due to EAC in BE under surveillance...
- Surgery alone versus chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery for resectable cancer of the oesophagus: a randomised controlled phase III trialBryan H Burmeister
University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Lancet Oncol 6:659-68. 2005..We aimed to assess whether a short preoperative chemoradiotherapy regimen improves outcomes for patients with resectable oesophageal cancer...
- Detection of HPV DNA in esophageal cancer specimens from different regions and ethnic groups: a descriptive studyXueqian Wang
Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Translational Research Ministry of Education, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Institute, 52 Fucheng Rd, Beijing 100142, China
BMC Cancer 10:19. 2010..However, reported detection rates of HPV DNA in these tumors have varied markedly. Differences in detection methods, sample types, and geographic regions of sample origin have been suggested as potential causes of this discrepancy...
- Opium, tobacco, and alcohol use in relation to oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a high-risk area of IranD Nasrollahzadeh
Digestive Disease Research Center, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Br J Cancer 98:1857-63. 2008..Similarly, use of both crude opium and other forms of opium were associated with higher risk. Alcohol consumption was seen in only 2% of the cases and 2% of the controls, and was not associated with ESCC risk...
- Association between body mass and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardiaJ Lagergren
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Intern Med 130:883-90. 1999..A weak and inconsistent association between body mass index (BMI) and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia has been reported...
- Identification of a novel gene, GASC1, within an amplicon at 9p23-24 frequently detected in esophageal cancer cell linesZ Q Yang
Department of Molecular Cytogenetics, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Cancer Res 60:4735-9. 2000..Our findings suggest that overexpressed GASC1 may play an important role in the development and/or progression of various types of cancer including ESC...
- Epidemiologic features of upper gastrointestinal tract cancers in Northeastern IranF Islami
Digestive Disease Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Shariati Hospital, North Kargar Avenue, Tehran, Iran
Br J Cancer 90:1402-6. 2004..Further studies are needed to define more precisely the patterns of upper GI cancer incidence, to test other previously suspected risk factors, and to find new significant risk factors in this high-risk area...
- Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma: time for a new synthesisBrian J Reid
Divisions of Public Health Sciences and Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, 98109 Seattle, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 10:87-101. 2010..Given that 95% of oesophageal adenocarcinomas arise in individuals without a prior diagnosis of Barrett's oesophagus, what strategies can be used to reduce late diagnosis of oesophageal adenocarcinoma?..
- Molecular prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junctionS M Lagarde
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center at the University of Amsterdam, 1105, AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 14:977-91. 2007..Some of these factors can be seen as prognostic factors per se. Better knowledge of molecular bases may lead to new paradigms, improved prognostication, early diagnosis and individually tailored therapeutic options...
- No further increase in the incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma in SwedenJesper Lagergren
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Upper Gastrointestinal Research, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Cancer 129:513-6. 2011....
- The prognostic value of clinical and pathologic factors in esophageal adenocarcinoma: a mayo cohort of 796 patients with extended follow-up after surgical resectionHarry H Yoon
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:1080-9. 2010..To identify and describe clinicopathologic prognostic factors in patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma who underwent surgical resection with curative intent...
- The role of nutrition in the development of esophageal cancer: what do we know?Massimiliano Berretta
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Aviano PN, Italy
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 4:351-7. 2012..Here we review the role of nutrition in the etiology of esophageal cancer...
- Mechanism of Irradiation Pulmonary FibrosisJoel S Greenberger; Fiscal Year: 2012..Project Narrative This irradiation application addresses a critical problem in managing the side effects of thoracic radiotherapy for lung and esophagus cancer. ..
- A Phase II Study to Test the Correlation of a Radiation Pneumonitis Imaging BiomaThomas M Guerrero; Fiscal Year: 2010..We anticipate the PMRR, the focus of this study, may have a significant impact on the development of drug to reduce radiation treatment toxicity in cancer patients. ..
- Transnasal Probe for Diagnosing Eosinophilic EsophagitisGuillermo J Tearney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Beyond its immediate clinical impact, this technology can also be used in future investigational studies to expand our knowledge of EoE and other diseases such as asthma that are characterized by tissue eosinophilia. ..
- Transnasal Esophagoscopy vs. Esophageal Capsule Endoscopy for Barrett's ScreeningAmitabh Chak; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, this study will lead to more effective screening programs for Barrett's esophagus. ..
- Efficacy of Bupropion for Treating Spit Tobacco UsersLowell Dale; Fiscal Year: 2005..Active or placebo bupropion will be taken for a total of 12 consecutive weeks starting one week before the target quit date. Behavioral intervention will be provided for all subjects. ..
- Molecular Biomarkers as Classifiers to Individualize Therapy of Esophagus CancerJaffer A Ajani; Fiscal Year: 2010..The IHC methods will be standardized and transferred from the research laboratory to a certified IHC clinical laboratory. ..
- EARLY DETECTION OF ESOPHAGEAL CANCERZhi Wei Dong; Fiscal Year: 1999..The project will be a collaborative effort of investigators from NCI, the Cancer Institute of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, and several U.S. universities. ..
- PET IN MULTIMODALITY THERAPY FOR ESOPHAGEAL CANCEREdward Levine; Fiscal Year: 2002..We plan to correlate the PET findings with endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), and spiral CT imaging to pathologic findings from resected specimens. ..
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF CARCINOMA OF THE ESOPHAGUSThomas Mack; Fiscal Year: 1980..It will be administered to both cases and neighborhood controls as soon as possible after the cases have been diagnosed. Standard matched pair analyses of multiple variables will be performed on the data from the questionnaire...
- The Perception of Cancer Risk in Patients with Barrett's EsophagusNicholas Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resultant study application will assess health-related quality of life, health-related anxiety and healthcare utilization as outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE SINGAPORE COHORT STUDY OF DIET AND CANCERJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Epidemiologic Case-control Study of Barrett's EsophagusNicholas Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, by comparing subjects with Barrett's to controls with reflux, and controlling for severs of reflux, the impact of a Barrett's diagnosis on quality of life and psychological stress may be seen. ..
- Predictors of Progression in Barret's EsophagusBrian Reid; Fiscal Year: 2001..Successful completion of these aims will provide a scientific basis for i) prevention trials using candidate interventions and validated intermediate endpoints, and ii) a more rational surveillance strategy for BE. ..
- Dietary Factors in the Etiology of Colorectal CancerJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2008..The potential modifying effects of HAA activating genes and tea polyphenols on the HAA-colorectal cancer association will be explored. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DIETARY FACTORS IN THE ETIOLOGY OF CANCER IN SHANGHAIJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..In all instances of diet-cancer investigations, relevant genes with potential modifying effects on the respective diet-cancer associations will be included in the investigations. ..
- Advancing an Evidence-Based Approach to Barrett's Esophagus: A Health Outcomes ReChin Hur; Fiscal Year: 2007..We plan to published the proceedings of the meeting and anticipate future project collaborations, grant applications as well as new investigators will arise as a result of this conference. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 ImprintingCathrine Hoyo; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study also has the potential to provide a foundation for future studies investigating the etiology of chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and some cancers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Markers of Genetic Susceptibility to Bladder CancerXifeng Wu; Fiscal Year: 2008..The ability to rapidly screen individuals for risk, using minimally invasive procedures (blood samples), has immense clinical implication, such as intensive screening and chemopreventive interventions. ..
- In vivo detection of pre-cancerous lesions using a/LCLAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Assessing Deployment of Microbicidal Gels With Label-Free Optical MeasurementAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase II validation of 4-dimensional computed tomography derived ventilation forThomas Guerrero; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our new imaging method uses equipment already available in almost every radiation oncology clinic. This study seeks to validate our new ventilation imaging with the present standard method. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Polymorphisms in Inflammation Genes and Bladder Cancer RiskJian Gu; Fiscal Year: 2008..The application will allow us to have a comprehensive picture of the effects of functional polymorphisms in inflammation related genes on BC risk. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Insulin-like Growth Factors and Esophageal CancerCathrine Hoyo; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Immune Regulation by Gadd45b and Gadd45gBinfeng Lu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Relevance: This study will lead to the development of novel strategies targeting these molecules to treat or prevent autoimmune diseases. This study will also reveal new disease markers for autoimmune diseases. ..
- Coherence Imaging for Assessing Colorectal NeoplasiaAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDOUGLAS ALLEN CORLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed study explores how hormones associated with body fat may change the way the body heals after an injury, and increase the risk of cells developing precancerous changes. ..
- Lung Cancer Chemoradiation: Predictors of SurvivalXifeng Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..This multivariate prognostic study could have long-term prognostic potential by allowing greater individualization of therapy, based on the genetic makeup of the patient, thereby both increasing efficacy and reducing morbidity. ..
- Mechanisms of ECM Scaffold RemodelingStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 2006..The work will be conducted by an experienced interdisciplinary team of scientists and a timeline is presented for completion of the work. ..
- Studies of Esophageal Metaplasia Using a Novel AntibodyKiron Das; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms and Therapeutics in Cancer Anorexia/CachexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..This K23 grant application will serve as a springboard to allow her to delve into the pathophysiology of this syndrome and to develop into an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Mechanisms of Growth Inhibition by Helicobacter PylorHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will help to establish how bacteria can increase apoptosis possibly through generation of ROS and in specific circumstances this may alter one's risk of developing cancer. ..
- GENETIC INFLUENCE ON MUTAGEN SENSITIVITY--A TWIN STUDYXifeng Wu; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally, these potential biomarkers may ultimately be used to identify individuals who should be targeted for more intense screening programs or behavior modification interventions. ..
- ORIGIN OF CELLS THAT REPOPULATE RESORBABLE ECM SCAFFOLDSStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism Based Chemoprevention of CancerNanjoo Suh; Fiscal Year: 2005..My long-term goal is to become an independent investigator who can contribute to the entire process of making basic scientific knowledge effective in preventing cancer in men and women. ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- P53 AND DNA PLOIDY IN BARRETT'S METAPLASIAMamoun Younes; Fiscal Year: 2005..A cost analysis will be then performed to determine whether a molecular based surveillance program would be more cost-effective than current program which is based on morphologic grading of dysplasia. ..
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the R33 component of the grant application these criteria will be prospectively evaluated and correlated with clinical outcome in a second, larger cohort of patients. ..
- ORIGIN OF CELLS THAT REPOPULATE RESORBABLE ECM SCAFFOLDSStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Assessing nuclear morphology in thick tissues using fLCIAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cell Recruitment Induced by ECM Scaffold DegradationStephen F Badylak; Fiscal Year: 2010..The objectives of the studies, the hypothesis upon which the experimental design is based, and a timeline for completion of the studies are presented. ..
- Barrett's Esophagus Ablation with Celocoxib TrialCharles Lightdale; Fiscal Year: 2002..Patients will be accrued during the first study year, and will be followed until the last patient enrolled completes one year of treatment. ..
- AUTOIMMUNE MECHANISM IN ULCERATIVE COLITISKiron Das; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using purified CEP, we will also be cloned. Human colon cDNA expression libraries from normal and UC colon mucosa and cDNA libraries from two colon cancer cell lines are developed and will be utilized. ..
- Biomarkers in Phototherapy of Barrett's EsophagusKenneth K Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide an improved understanding regarding the response of Barrett's esophagus to ablation therapy. ..
- Mechanobiology and Regenerative MedicineMichael S Sacks; Fiscal Year: 2010..A timeline for completion of these studies, hypotheses to drive the specific aims, alternative approaches for completion of the work, and quantitative criteria for success are provided. ..
- Creatine: Is It a Body Builder for Cancer Patients?Aminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..obtain longitudinal toxicity and quality of life data on this same cohort of 50 patients and will make direct comparisons between treatment arms on toxicity incidence and severity and on maximal quality of life scores ..
- Cellular Remodeling of ECM ScaffoldsStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have identified clearly defined specific aims with quantifiable end points and an efficient three year timeline to conduct this work. ..
- Genetic Susceptibility Modifiers in Renal Cell CarcinomaXifeng Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such individuals may then be targeted for intervention programs such as chemoprevention or dietary modification. ..
- Regulation of the MAP kinase pathway in the CD4+ T cellsBinfeng Lu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 2. Study the role of GADD45 protein in mediating the activation of the p38/JNK MAP kinase pathway by cytokines. Aim 3. Study the effect of mutation of GADD45gamma, GADD45beta, or MEKK4 in murine collagen induced arthritis. ..
- METHYLATION PROFILING AND RISK OF COLORECTAL CANCERHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will help in the detection and _rofiling of genetic changes in the pathway of CRC in AA. ..
- A NOVEL TECHNIQUE FOR SCREENING BARRETT'S ESOSPHAGUSKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The development of a screening device for Barrett's esophagus that could be operated by paramedical personnel would enable large-scale low cost screening to identify patients at risk for esophageal cancer. ..
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemoprevention of cancer by nuclear receptor ligandsNanjoo Suh; Fiscal Year: 2005..The goal of this proposal is to develop novel ligands for the vitamin D receptor as potential chemopreventive agents that can ultimately be used to prevent breast cancer. ..
- Novel Method of Surveillance in Barrett's EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is an innovative method by which a physician can diagnose hidden areas of cancer within patients who are at a high risk of developing esophageal cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Benzo[alpha]pyrene Diol Epoxide (BPDE) Sensitivity at 9*Jian Gu; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed susceptibility marker may be useful as biomarkers to identify high-risk populations that could then be targeted for intensive smoking-cessation programs and could be enrolled into chemoprevention trials. ..
- Chemoprevention of Esophageal Squamous Cell CarcinomaGary Stoner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DIVERGENT CAUSAL PATHWAYS TO MELANOMA: A COMBINED ANALYSIS OF 12 CASE-CONTROL STUDavid Whiteman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Ultimately, the results of this research may contribute to better preventive strategies to reduce the number of people who die from melanoma (currently 8000 people each year in the United States). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endoscopic Therapy of Early Cancer in Barretts EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diagnostic and therapeutic techniques developed in this study can be applied to other gastrointestinal tumors. ..
- Prediction and assessment of response to targated therapy in pancreatic cancerSoner Altiok; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect that this study will result in validation of the novel PD approaches and will also inform further assessment and refinement in future hypothesis testing studies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..