Summary: Retrograde bile flow. Reflux of bile can be from the duodenum to the stomach (DUODENOGASTRIC REFLUX); to the esophagus (GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUX); or to the PANCREAS.
Publications197 found, 100 shown here
- The role of acid and alkaline reflux in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomaJ Galli
Institute of Otolaryngology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Laryngoscope 112:1861-5. 2002..In last years, great interest has been focused on gastroesophageal reflux as independent carcinogenic factor and co-carcinogen in association with smoking and alcohol assumption...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease poorly responsive to single-dose proton pump inhibitors in patients without Barrett's esophagus: acid reflux, bile reflux, or both?J Tack
Center for Gastroenterological Research, Catholic University Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Am J Gastroenterol 99:981-8. 2004Studies using ambulatory pH and esophageal bile reflux monitoring (Bilitec) have shown that both acid reflux and duodeno-gastro-esophageal reflux (DGER) frequently occur in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)...
- Biliary reflux and non-acid reflux are two distinct phenomena: a comparison between 24-hour multichannel intraesophageal impedance and bilirubin monitoringFabio Pace
Division of Gastroenterology, L Sacco University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:1031-9. 2007....
- Bile reflux gastritis and intestinal metaplasia at the cardiaM F Dixon
Academic Unit of Pathology, University of Leeds, UK
Gut 51:351-5. 2002..An alternative aetiological factor is bile reflux. Duodenogastric reflux brings about histological changes in the gastric mucosa that can be graded and used to ..
- The role of acid and bile reflux in oesophagitis and Barrett's metaplasiaRhonda F Souza
Department of Medicine, VA North Texas Health Care System, 4500 South Lancaster Road, Dallas, TX 75216, USA
Biochem Soc Trans 38:348-52. 2010....
- Primary duodenogastric reflux in children and adolescentsDominique Hermans
Paediatric Gastroenterology Unit, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, 10 Avenue Hippocrate, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 162:598-602. 2003..Conclusion: primary duodenogastric reflux is a rare foregut disorder of unknown origin occurring in late childhood. If suspected, 24 h intragastric bilimetry appears to be a useful investigation to confirm the diagnosis...
- Disturbed intestinal movement, bile reflux to the stomach, and deficiency of c-kit-expressing cells in Ws/Ws mutant ratsK Isozaki
Department of Pathology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Gastroenterology 109:456-64. 1995..CONCLUSIONS: The abnormalities in the ileal movement and pyloric sphincter function in Ws/Ws rats were attributable to the deficiency of c-kit messenger RNA-expressing cells...
- The significance of histological evidence of bile reflux gastropathy in patients with gastro-esophageal reflux diseaseAndreas Nakos
Endoscopy Unit, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Med Sci Monit 15:CR313-8. 2009..Reflux of bile causes injury to gastric mucosa evaluated with an established histological index (bile reflux index, BRI). The aim of the study was to investigate the role of bile reflux in patients with GERD using the BRI...
- Increased acid and bile reflux in Barrett's esophagus compared to reflux esophagitis, and effect of proton pump inhibitor therapyM Menges
Department of Medicine II, University of the Saarland, Homburg/Saar, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 96:331-7. 2001..group 1) or Barrett's esophagus (group 2) prospectively underwent simultaneous 24-h esophageal pH and bile reflux testing without any therapy affecting acid secretion or GI motility...
- Bile reflux due to disturbed gastric movement is a cause of spontaneous gastric ulcer in W/Wv miceT Azuma
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Fukui Medical University, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 44:1177-83. 1999..b>Bile reflux was seen in these mutant mice, and they showed no cyclic intense contractions in the gastric antrum...
- Dilated intercellular spaces as a marker of oesophageal damage: comparative results in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease with or without bile refluxC Calabrese
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18:525-32. 2003..The dilation of oesophageal intercellular spaces, clearly apparent in transmission electron microscopy images, is a marker of cellular damage induced by acid...
- Bile reflux gastritis and Barrett's oesophagus: further evidence of a role for duodenogastro-oesophageal reflux?M F Dixon
Academic Unit of Pathology, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Gut 49:359-63. 2001..There is increasing evidence that reflux of bile plays a part in the pathogenesis of Barrett's oesophagus. Bile injury to the gastric mucosa results in a "chemical" gastritis in which oedema and intestinal metaplasia are prominent...
- Emerging concepts of bile reflux in the constellation of gastroesophageal reflux diseaseWerner K H Kauer
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Thoraxchirurgie, Klinikum Nord, Nurnberg, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 14:S9-16. 2010..Reflux of gastric and duodenal contents in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) has been postulated as a major cause of complications, such as Barrett's esophagus or malignant degeneration...
- Mucosal changes in the gastric remnant: long-term effects of bile reflux diversion and Helicobacter pylori infectionKristina Ahsberg Johannesson
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:35-40. 2003b>Bile reflux is thought to be responsible for reflux gastritis and stump carcinoma occurring after partial gastrectomy for peptic ulcer. Gastritis and gastric carcinoma are also correlated with Helicobacter pylori...
- Bile reflux into the stomach and the esophagus for volunteers older than 40 yearsElfriede Bollschweiler
Department of Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Digestion 71:65-71. 2005An increased incidence of Barrett's esophagus in cases with combined acidic and bile reflux is reported. The volunteers serving as controls in those studies were significantly younger than the patients...
- Effects of bile reflux on gastric mucosal lesions in patients with dyspepsia or chronic gastritisSheng Liang Chen
Shanghai Institute of Digestive Disease, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200001, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:2834-7. 2005To investigate the influences of bile reflux on profiles of gastric mucosal lesions in patients with dyspepsia or chronic gastritis.
- What is the difference between proximal and total gastrectomy regarding postoperative bile reflux into the oesophagus?I E Katsoulis
Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery Unit, Evangelismos General Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Dig Surg 23:325-30. 2006..The aim of the present study was to test this assumption given that there is limited literature regarding objective evaluation of the postoperative duodeno-oesophageal reflux...
- Endoscopical and histological features in bile reflux gastritisC C Vere
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 46:269-74. 2005b>Bile reflux gastritis is due to an excessive reflux of duodenal contents into the stomach. The increased enterogastric reflux may provide the basis for increased mucosal injury...
- Bile reflux after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an unrecognized cause of postoperative painDaniel E Swartz
Advanced Bariatric Center, Fresno, California 93710, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 5:27-30. 2009To determine, in a private practice, whether symptomatic bile reflux can occur after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) for morbid obesity and the outcome after laparoscopic alimentary (Roux) limb lengthening...
- Gastric fluid bile concentrations and risk of Barrett's esophagusKatie S Nason
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:304-7. 2007..A growing, but conflicting body of evidence implicates bile reflux as a contributor to Barrett's esophagus...
- [Biliary reflux in a reflux disorder of the oesophagus]R Vrba
I Chirurgická klinika FN Olomouc
Rozhl Chir 85:31-4. 2006..Therefore, in order to prevent complications in this patient group, surgical management is preferred to conservative therapy...
- Primary bile reflux gastritis: diagnosis and surgical treatmentJames A Madura
Department of Surgery, Indiana University Medical Center, 9525 Copley Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
Am J Surg 186:269-73. 2003b>Bile reflux gastritis has been recognized since the first successful gastric operations and has persisted for more than a century. Diagnosis has been difficult and non-operative therapy largely ineffective...
- [Occult pancreatobiliary reflux and gallbladder carcinoma]Jin Kan Sai
Department of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 100:981-6. 2003..Secretin injection magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography proved useful to identify such persons...
- [Clinical features of gastroesophageal reflux disease in geriatric patients]Hong Wang
Department of Gastroenterology, Tong Ren Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 24:178-80. 2002..To evaluate the features of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in elderly patients...
- Posterior esophagopexy with dome formation to prevent reflux in interposed jejunal pouch reconstruction after total gastrectomyTaku Michiura
Department of Surgery, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizonocho, Moriguchi, Osaka, 570 8507, Japan
Surg Today 36:570-3. 2006..total gastrectomy has proven effective for improving postoperative quality of life; however, evaluation of bile reflux into the esophagus shows that the reflux of digestive juice is not sufficiently prevented...
- [A study of diagnosis of primary biliary reflux gastritis]Jin kun Lin
Department of Gastroenterology, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 42:81-3. 2003To study the diadynamic method of primary bile reflux gastritis.
- [A clinical study of reflux oesophagites]Jiali Jiang
Department of Digestion, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital University of Medical Science, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 41:822-4. 2002To study the incidence and role of acid and bile reflux in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Reflux and Barrett's oesophagitis after gastric surgery--long-term follow-up and implications for the roles of gastric acid and bile in oesophagitisA S Taha
Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:547-52. 2003..Gastric surgery patients provide a good model for both significant bile reflux and marked gastric acid inhibition.
- Occult pancreatobiliary reflux in patients with a normal pancreaticobiliary junctionJin Kan Sai
Department of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 57:364-8. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate pancreatobiliary reflux in individuals with a normal pancreaticobiliary junction...
- Factors influencing the development of Barrett's epithelium in the esophageal remnant postesophagectomyJ M O'Riordan
University Department of Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Am J Gastroenterol 99:205-11. 2004....
- Oesophageal and gastric bile exposure after gastroduodenal surgery with Henley's interposition or a Roux-en-Y loopJ Y Mabrut
Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery Unit, Louvain Medical School, Brussels, Belgium
Br J Surg 91:580-5. 2004The degree which the various reconstruction techniques prevent bile reflux after gastroduodenal surgery has been poorly studied.
- Simultaneous bilimetry and pHmetry in GERD and Barrett's patientsValter Nilton Felix
Digestive Motility and Neurogastroenterology, MODINE, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hepatogastroenterology 52:1452-5. 2005..The aim of the study is to verify whether the measurement of bile reflux can increase the diagnostic accuracy of GERD.
- Influence of bile reflux and Helicobacter pylori infection on gastritis in the remnant gastric mucosa after distal gastrectomyHisanori Abe
Arita Gastro Intestinal Hospital, 1 2 6 Maki, Oita, 870 0924, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:563-9. 2005Two main pathogenic factors, bile reflux and Helicobacter pylori infection, have been identified in the remnant stomach, but it is still unclear which factor is important in the pathogenesis of gastritis in the remnant stomach after ..
- Bile acids and total bilirubin detection in saliva of patients submitted to gastric surgery and in particular to subtotal Billroth II resectionEugenio De Corso
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Catholic University of Medicine and Surgery, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Policlinico A Gemelli No 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Ann Surg 245:880-5. 2007..The aim of our study was to detect bile acids and total bilirubin in saliva of gastrectomized patients, to confirm objectively presence of biliary laryngopharyngeal reflux and its relationship with laryngeal mucosa damage...
- Bile reflux in the esophagus demonstrated by HIDA scintigraphyPerry S Gerard
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11219, USA
Clin Nucl Med 32:224-5. 2007
- Secretin-stimulating MRCP in patients with pancreatobiliary maljunction and occult pancreatobiliary reflux: direct demonstration of pancreatobiliary refluxUtaroh Motosugi
Department of Radiology, University of Yamanashi, 1110 Shimokato, Chuo shi, Yamanashi, 409 3898, Japan
Eur Radiol 17:2262-7. 2007..The sensitivity and specificity of SMRCP for diagnosing OPR was 85.7% and 68.0%, respectively. SMRCP provides a non invasive method for excluding PBR and can identify patients who could benefit from bile duct sampling to diagnose OPR...
- Acid and duodenogastroesophageal reflux after esophagectomy with gastric tube reconstructionNorihiro Yuasa
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1021-7. 2005..The aim of this study is to evaluate acid reflux and duodenogastroesophageal reflux after esophagectomy with gastric tube reconstruction...
- Dynamic study of pancreaticobiliary reflux using secretin-stimulated magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography in patients with choledochal cystsHiroshi Matsufuji
Department of Pediatric Surgery, St Luke s International Hospital, Tokyo 104 8560, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 41:1652-6. 2006..Dynamic studies of the pancreaticobiliary tract were performed using secretin-stimulated magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography...
- High animal-fat intake changes the bile-acid composition of bile juice and enhances the development of Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma in a rat duodenal-contents reflux modelKuan Hao Chen
Department of Pathology and Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta tsukinowa cho, Ohtsu, Shiga 520 2192, USA
Cancer Sci 98:1683-8. 2007..High dietary animal fat changed the bile-acid composition and increased the concentration of taurine conjugates in the bile juice. These increased bile acids promoted the development of BE and Barrett's dysplasia leading to EAC...
- [Occult pancreatobiliary reflux and gallbladder carcinoma]Jin Kan Sai
Department of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 64:448-50. 2006
- [Topic complex II: Diagnosis]S Muller-Lissner
Z Gastroenterol 43:168-75. 2005
- Duodenogastric reflux eradicates Helicobacter pylori after distal gastrectomyKenichiro Fukuhara
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine Osaka, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1548-50. 2004..However, whether a causal relationship exists has not yet been studied. This report examines the correlation between H. pylori eradication and the amount of duodenogastric reflux following distal gastrectomy...
- Inflammation of the gastric remnant after gastrectomy: mucosal erythema is associated with bile reflux and inflammatory cellular infiltration is associated with Helicobacter pylori infectionYoungho Lee
Surgery for Organ Function and Biological Regulation Department of Surgery I, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol 39:520-6. 2004Controversy exists concerning the role of bile reflux and Helicobacter pylori ( H. pylori) infection in the development of inflammation of the gastric remnant after gastrectomy...
- Bile in the esophagus: a factor in the pathogenesis of reflux esophagitis in childrenRok Orel
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Gastroenterology, University Medical Centre, Vrasov trg 1, 1000 Ljublana, Slovenia
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 36:266-73. 2003b>Bile reflux has been postulated to be an important factor contributing to gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. The purpose of this study was to investigate its role in children.
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease and bile acidsJohn A Todd
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 36:172-4. 2003
- Validation of a new method of measuring esophageal acid exposure: comparison with 24-hour pH monitoringJ Tack
Center for Gastroenterological Research, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Dig Dis Sci 48:16-21. 2003..The sensor seems able to reliably predict pathological esophageal acid exposure. These findings warrant larger studies of the clinical potential of the acid exposure sensor in the diagnosis and quantification of GERD...
- Clinical significance of a long common channelTerumi Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, 3 18 22 Honkomagome, Bunkyu ku, 113 8677 Tokyo, Japan
Pancreatology 2:122-8. 2002..This study aims at investigating the clinical significance of HCPBD...
- Presence of bile in the oesophagus is associated with less effective oesophageal motilityJacob Freedman
Division of Surgery, Karolinska Institutet Danderyd Hospital, Danderyd, Sweden
Digestion 66:42-8. 2002Reflux of bile to the oesophagus has been shown to be of importance in the development of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. This study aims to assess oesophageal motility patterns in relation to acid and bile reflux to the oesophagus.
- [A case of gallbladder carcinoma accompanied with occult pancreatobiliary reflux in normal pancreaticobiliary junction]Jin Kan Sai
Department of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 99:1243-6. 2002
- Endoscopy in hyperemesis gravidarum and Helicobacter pylori infectionT Bagis
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 79:105-9. 2002..To establish a relationship between hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) and Helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori) infection by histologic testing...
- Efficacy and one year follow up of argon plasma coagulation therapy for ablation of Barrett's oesophagus: factors determining persistence and recurrence of Barrett's epitheliumK K Basu
Department of Gastroenterology, Glenfield Hospital, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
Gut 51:776-80. 2002..Endoscopic thermoablation with argon plasma coagulation (APC) offers a different approach but factors influencing its outcome have not been systematically examined...
- Gastric bile monitoring: an in vivo and in vitro study of Bilitec reliabilityL Tibbling Grahn
Dept of Surgery, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:1334-7. 2002..The aim was to study the reliability of the Bilitec 2001 method inmonitoring the presence of bile in repeated tests and at different pH and water dilutions...
- Influence of pantoprazole on oesophageal motility, and bile and acid reflux in patients with oesophagitisP Netzer
Gastrointestinal Unit, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15:1375-84. 2001..AIM: To investigate whether pantoprazole also reduces bile reflux and whether this is paralleled by a change in oesophageal motility...
- The effect of famotidine on gastroesophageal and duodeno-gastro-esophageal refluxes in critically ill patientsYing Xin
Department of Gastroenterology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Hangzhou 310016, Zhejiang Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:356-8. 2003..To investigate the effect of famotidine on gastroesophageal reflux (GER) and duodeno-gastro-esophageal reflux (DGER) and to explore it's possible mechanisms. To identify the relevant factors of the reflux...
- Mechanisms of heartburnDaphne Ang
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:383-92. 2008..Such understanding will serve as a platform for further research and allow additional therapies to be developed for this increasingly encountered clinical condition...
- Alkaline reflux gastritis: early and late results of surgeryBasile Zobolas
Department of Surgery, Metaxa Hospital, Botasi 51 Str, 18537, Peireas, Greece
World J Surg 30:1043-9. 2006..The symptoms may be intractable and surgery may be required in a selected subgroup of patients. The goal of this study was to present our experience regarding surgical management of alkaline reflux gastritis...
- Immunoreactivity for CD25 in gastrointestinal mucosal mast cells is specific for systemic mastocytosisHejin P Hahn
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1669-76. 2007..cases including 10 each normal stomach, duodenum, terminal ileum, and colon, Helicobacter pylori gastritis, bile reflux gastropathy, peptic duodenitis, celiac disease, Crohn disease, ulcerative colitis, lymphocytic colitis, and ..
- Esophageal motility in patients with sliding hiatal hernia with reflux esophagitisPing Ye
Department of Gastroenterology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:898-903. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of acid reflux and duodenal gastroesophageal reflux (DGER), esophageal manometry, and esophageal dysmotility by applying the barium meal examination...
- Pyloric drainage (pyloroplasty) or no drainage in gastric reconstruction after esophagectomy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJohn D Urschel
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Dig Surg 19:160-4. 2002..We performed a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) to determine the effect of pyloric drainage on patient outcomes...
- Rare causes of gastric outlet obstruction in childrenJiexiong Feng
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Pediatr Surg Int 21:635-40. 2005..All the patients who had Heineke-Mikulicz pyloroplasty or gastrojejunostomy developed bile reflux gastritis that could be alleviated with omeprazol...
- Bile reflux index after therapeutic biliary proceduresSedef Kuran
Gastroenterology Department, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
BMC Gastroenterol 8:4. 2008..Patients are potential "bile refluxers". The aim of this study was to assess how these procedures affect the histology-based bile reflux index (BRI), which can be used to reflect duodenogastric reflux (DGR).
- [Roles of bile and gastrin in the pathogenesis of childhood gastroesophageal reflux disease]Ju Rong Wei
Shenzhen Children s Hospital, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518026, China
Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 8:287-90. 2006To explore the incidence of acid and bile reflux in children with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and to study the roles of bile and gastrin in the pathogenesis of childhood GERD.
- Clinical outcome of pylorus-preserving gastrectomy in gastric cancer in comparison with conventional distal gastrectomy with Billroth I anastomosisDo Joong Park
Department of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
World J Surg 32:1029-36. 2008..This study was designed to evaluate the postoperative functional characteristics of PPG versus conventional distal gastrectomy with Billroth I anastomosis (BI)...
- Pyloric sphincter dysfunction in nNOS-/- and W/Wv mutant mice: animal models of gastroparesis and duodenogastric refluxDigavalli V Sivarao
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Center for Swallowing and Motility Disorders, West Roxbury, Massachusetts 02132, USA
Gastroenterology 135:1258-66. 2008..Nitrergic nerves and interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) have been implicated in the regulation of pyloric motility. The purpose of these studies was to define their roles in pyloric function in vivo...
- The gastritis connection: prevention and early detection of gastric neoplasmsRobert M Genta
Pathologie Clinique, HUG, Rue Micheli du Crest, 24 CH 1211, Geneve 14, Switzerland
J Clin Gastroenterol 36:S44-9; discussion S61-2. 2003..Chronic exposure of the corpus mucosa to pancreaticoduodenal secretions ("bile reflux") causes reactive mucosal changes that may predispose to neoplasia...
- Acid and bile reflux in erosive reflux disease, non-erosive reflux disease and Barrett's esophagusNabil Gadel Hak
Gastroenterology Surgical Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Hepatogastroenterology 55:442-7. 2008..The aim of the study was to determine the contribution of acid and duodenogastroesophageal reflux (DGER) to endoscopic severity in patients with GERD and Barrett's esophagus...
- Duodenogastroesophageal reflux: results of medical treatment and antireflux surgeryN Gad Elhak
Gastroenterology Surgical Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Hepatogastroenterology 55:120-6. 2008..The aim of the study is to compare the duodenogastroesophageal (DGER) reflux with the severity of reflux esophagitis and evaluate its response to either medical and/or antireflux surgery...
- Chronic antral ulcer associated with gastroduodenal lymphocytic phlebitisSusan C Abraham
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1659-63. 2004..The patient developed late postoperative complications including bile reflux gastritis and erosive esophagitis, but he had no recurrence of gastrointestinal ulceration or ischemia over a 2-..
- COX-2 induction by unconjugated bile acids involves reactive oxygen species-mediated signalling pathways in Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinomaShumei Song
Department of Gastrointestinal Medicine and Nutrition, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Gut 56:1512-21. 2007b>Bile reflux contributes to oesophageal injury and neoplasia. COX-2 is involved in both inflammation and carcinogenesis; however, the precise mechanisms by which bile acids promote COX-2 expression in the oesophagus are largely unknown...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with Roux-Y anastomosis in reconstructing the digestive tract: report of 26 patientsYou Gang Ma
Department of Second Biliary Surgery, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Shanghai 200438, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 1:611-3. 2002..To explore the way to lower the morbidity and mortality of patients after pancreaticoduodenectomy...
- Extended application of 99mTc-mebrofenin cholescintigraphy with cholecystokinin in the evaluation of abdominal pain of hepatobiliary and gastrointestinal originGerbail T Krishnamurthy
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Tuality Community Hospital, Hillsboro, Oregon 97123, USA
Nucl Med Commun 31:346-54. 2010..To explore the extension of cholecystokinin-cholescintigraphy in the evaluation of abdominal pain...
- Therapeutic effect of DA-9601 on chronic reflux gastritis induced by sodium taurocholate in ratsTae Young Oh
Dong A Pharmaceutical Research Institute, 47 5, Sanggal ri, Kiheung up, Yongin Shi, Kyunggi Do 449 905, Korea
World J Gastroenterol 11:7430-5. 2005..To investigate the therapeutic effects of DA-9601 on sodium taurocholate (TCA)-induced chronic reflux gastritis in SD rats...
- Zoning of mucosal phenotype, dysplasia, and telomerase activity measured by telomerase repeat assay protocol in Barrett's esophagusJames J Going
Department of Pathology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Neoplasia 6:85-92. 2004..intestinal-type Barrett's mucosa increased distally, possibly as a consequence of mucosal exposure to acid or bile reflux. Native gastric mucosa was rarely TRAP(+) (1/31 corpus, 2/32 antrum), whereas native squamous mucosa usually ..
- Effects of bile acids on pancreatic ductal bicarbonate secretion in guinea pigV Venglovecz
First Department of Medicine, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Gut 57:1102-12. 2008Acute pancreatitis is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. Bile reflux into the pancreas is a common cause of acute pancreatitis and, although the bile can reach both acinar and ductal cells, most research to date has ..
- Gastric emptying and duodeno-gastro-oesophageal reflux in gastro-oesophageal reflux diseaseJ Freedman
Division of Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Danderyd Hospital, Sweden
Dig Liver Dis 34:477-83. 2002..Previous studies present conflicting results regarding relationship between gastric emptying and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Reflux of duodenal content to oesophagus is generally considered to be associated with more severe disease...
- Assessment of duodenogastric reflux by combined continuous intragastric pH and bilirubin monitoringFei Dai
Department of Gastroenterology, Second Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University, 157 Xiwu LU, Xi an 710004, Shaanxi Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 8:382-4. 2002..To assess the diagnostic value of a combination of continuous intragastric pH and bilirubin monitoring in the detection of duodenogastric reflux (DGR), and the effects of diet on the bilirubin absorbance...
- Duodenogastric bile reflux is common in cystic fibrosisK Hallberg
Departments of Pediatrics, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 38:312-6. 2004..The aim of this study was to analyze the presence of duodenogastric reflux in patients with CF...
- Prevalence of upper abdominal complaints in patients who have undergone partial gastrectomyR J Loffeld
Department of Internal Medicine, De Heel Zaans Medisch Centrum, Zaandam, The Netherlands R
Can J Gastroenterol 14:681-4. 2000..Regurgitation of food, retrosternal heartburn and bile reflux occurred significantly more often in patients who underwent the Billroth II operation...
- Mechanical-stapled versus hand-sutured anastomoses in billroth-I reconstruction with distal gastrectomyTsunehiro Takahashi
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Surg Today 37:122-6. 2007..Thus, we performed a retrospective study to compare the clinical outcome of MSA and conventional hand-sutured anastomosis (HA)...
- A comparison of Roux-en-Y and Billroth-I reconstruction after laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomyKazuyuki Kojima
Departments of Esophagogastric Surgery, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Surg 247:962-7. 2008..The present study evaluated the efficacy of Roux-en-Y (R-Y) reconstruction and Billroth-I (B-I) reconstruction after laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy (LADG)...
- Roux-en-Y reconstruction after distal gastrectomy to reduce enterogastric reflux and Helicobacter pylori infectionDe Chuan Chan
Division of General Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1732-40. 2007..1% and 93.1% of the BII group, and 50.0% and 91.7% of the BII+B group, respectively. Endoscopy showed bile reflux occurred in 15.8% of the RY group, 75.9% of the BII group, and 83.3% of the BII+B group...
- Prospective 14- to 18-year follow-up study after parietal cell vagotomyJ Hoffmann
Department of Surgery 1, Kommunehospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Surg 74:1056-9. 1987..Two patients were reoperated for gastric outlet obstruction and one for bile reflux gastritis. Four patients had severe dyspeptic symptoms and four severe dyspepsia plus dumping...
- Minimal change oesophagitis: a disease with characteristic differences to erosive oesophagitisT Nakamura
Department of Endoscopy, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Mibu, Tochigi, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:19-26. 2005..Nonerosive reflux disease includes minimal change oesophagitis (whitish or reddish, oedematous change and erosion that is not regarded as mucosal break) and no endoscopic abnormalities...
- Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy using modified hemi-double staplingDong Heon Kim
Department of Surgery, Postgraduate School of Medicine and Medical Research Institute, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
Dig Surg 26:364-8. 2009..gastrectomy, the Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy is superior to the Billroth II gastrojejunostomy in terms of bile reflux. Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy prevents reflux gastritis, esophagitis, and carcinogenesis of the gastric remnant...
- Impact of gastro-esophageal reflux on mucin mRNA expression in the esophageal mucosaAafke H C van Roon
Department of Surgery, Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University, Room 3D211, Bedford Park, South Australia, 5042, Australia
J Gastrointest Surg 12:1331-40. 2008..We therefore sought to identify reflux-induced changes in mucin gene expression using a cell line and biopsies from the esophageal mucosa in patients with and without reflux...
- Persistent acid and bile reflux in asymptomatic patients with Barrett esophagus receiving proton pump inhibitor therapyAbeezar I Sarela
Academic Unit of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, and Department of General Surgery, St Jame s University Hospital, Leeds, England, UK
Arch Surg 139:547-51. 2004Symptom control does not reflect elimination of abnormal acid reflux or abnormal bile reflux in patients with long-segment Barrett esophagus receiving proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).
- Oxidative damage in an experimentally induced gastric and gastroduodenal reflux modelYesim Erbil
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Innov 12:219-25. 2005..study was to evaluate the damage to the esophageal epithelium that occurs after acid reflex and mixed acid and bile reflux by assessing histopathology, reactive oxygen species, and DNA damage...
- Development and intra-institutional and inter-institutional validation of a comprehensive new hepatobiliary software: Part 1--Liver and gallbladder functionGerbail T Krishnamurthy
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Tuality Community Hospital, Hillsboro, Oregon 97123, USA
Nucl Med Commun 30:934-44. 2009..To develop a software tool for quantification of liver and gallbladder function, and to assess the repeatability and reproducibility of measurements made with it...
- Mucin expression in reactive gastropathy: an immunohistochemical analysisMari Mino-Kenudson
Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Pathology, Boston, MA 02114 2696, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:86-90. 2007..However, the evaluation of mucins, important components of the protective mucosal mucous layer, has not been reported...
- Duodenogastric bile reflux before and after selective proximal vagotomy with and without pyloroplastyB Eriksson
Dept of Surgery and Clinical Physiology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 25:161-4. 1990Duodenogastric bile reflux was determined by nasogastric aspiration in 60 patients with prepyloric, pyloric, or duodenal ulcer before and after selective proximal vagotomy (SPV) or SPV and pyloroplasty (PP)...
- Bile acids in gastric fluids from llamas and alpacas with and without ulcersChristopher K Cebra
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331 4802, USA
J Vet Intern Med 17:567-70. 2003..Whether bile reflux was the cause of the ulcers or occurred after or concurrent to their development remains unknown.
- Activation of MUC1 mucin expression by bile acids in human esophageal adenocarcinomatous cells and tissues is mediated by the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinaseChristophe Mariette
Inserm Unit 837, and Department of Digestive and Oncological Surgery, University Hospital Claude Huriez, Lille Cedex, France
Surgery 143:58-71. 2008..adenocarcinoma, MUC1 mucin expression increases in early stages of the carcinogenetic sequence, during which bile reflux has been identified as a major carcinogen...
- [The relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and IL-8 expression in remnant stomach mucosa]Cheng zhong Xing
Cancer Institute, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 21:503-5. 2005..To explore the relationship between helicobacter pylori (Hp) infection and expression of interleukin-8 (IL-8) in the remnant stomach mucosa...
- [Duodenogastric and gastroesophageal bile reflux]J Y Mabrut
Service de Chirurgie Generale, Digestive et de Transplantation Hépatique, Hôpital de la Croix Rousse Lyon
J Chir (Paris) 143:355-65. 2006This study reviews current data regarding duodenogastric and gastroesophageal bile reflux-pathophysiology, clinical presentation, methods of diagnosis (namely, 24-hour intraluminal bile monitoring) and therapeutic management...
- Esophagogastrectomy without pyloroplastyV Velanovich
Division of General Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Dis Esophagus 16:243-5. 2003..Arguments against include prevention of postoperative dumping syndrome and bile reflux esophagitis...
- Is a bile reflux an additional cancerogenic factor in peptic ulcer, associated with Helicobacter pylori infection?A Vdovychenko
Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 49:72-4. 2004..As the influence of both factors for malignancy, is still unknown, it was the aim of our investigations in peptic ulcer (PU) patients complicated with duodenogastric reflux (DGR)...
- Braun enteroenterostomy is associated with reduced delayed gastric emptying and early resumption of oral feeding following pancreaticoduodenectomySteven N Hochwald
Division of Surgical Oncology and Endocrine Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Surg Oncol 101:351-5. 2010..A Braun enteroenterostomy has been shown to decrease bile reflux following gastric resection...
- Risk of gastric cancer after Roux-en-Y gastric bypassHarutaka Inoue
Institut de Recherche Contre les Canceurs de l Appareil Digestif European Institute of Telesurgery, 1 Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Arch Surg 142:947-53. 2007..To evaluate the risk of gastric cancer after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)...
- Increased Duodeno-Gastro-Esophageal Reflux (DGER) in symptomatic GERD patients with a history of cholecystectomyS Kunsch
University of Marburg, Germany, Department of Gastroenterology, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, 35043 Marburg
Z Gastroenterol 47:744-8. 2009..Clinical and epidemiological data suggest a potential association between cholecystectomy (CCE) and augmented bile reflux.
- Optimal duration of medical treatment in superior mesenteric artery syndrome in childrenMyung Seok Shin
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, St Mary s Hospital, Daejeon, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 28:1220-5. 2013..The most common co-morbid condition was weight loss (50%), followed by growth spurt (22.2%) and bile reflux gastropathy (16.7%). Body mass index (BMI) was normal in 72.2% of the patients...
- Cdx genes, inflammation and the pathogenesis of Barrett's metaplasiaBenjamin J Colleypriest
Centre for Regenerative Medicine, Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Trends Mol Med 15:313-22. 2009..BM predisposes to oesophageal adenocarcinoma and is the consequence of long-term acid bile reflux. The incidence of BM and oesophageal adenocarcinoma has risen dramatically in recent years...
- Mouse models for esophageal Cox-2 oxidative stress and DNA damageJohn P Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2013..It occurs in response to chronic acid and bile reflux and is an important risk factor for the development of esophageal adenocarcinoma (EAC)...
- Risk Factors for Barrett's EsophagusBrian Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2009..M. Michael Wolfe, well-established investigators in health-services research. At the completion on the project, the candidate will have gained the experience to become an independent researcher in clinical epidemiology. ..
- Predictors of Progression in Barret's EsophagusBrian Reid; Fiscal Year: 2001..The second aim is to identify environmental risk and protective factors (e.g., bile reflux, overweight, NSAIDs, selenium) that modify risk of progression, and the stage(s) of progression at which they ..
- H.pylori Effects on DNA Repair in Gastric EpitheliumAntonia Sepulveda; Fiscal Year: 2008..Knowledge gained from this study is likely to support the indication for Hp eradication in H. pylori-infected patients to prevent GC. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..