Genomes and Genes
capillary leak syndrome
Summary: A rare and sometimes fatal disease characterized by recurring attacks of leakage of intravascular fluids into the extravascular space. This syndrome is observed in patients who demonstrate a state of generalized leaky capillaries following shock syndromes, low-flow states, ischemia-reperfusion injuries, toxemias, or poisoning. It can lead to generalized edema and MULTIPLE ORGAN FAILURE. (Zikria, et al. (eds.), Reperfusion Injuries and Clinical Capillary Leak Syndrome, pp. 470-72, 1994)
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- Evidence for the involvement of Fas ligand and perforin in the induction of vascular leak syndromeA Q Rafi
Department of Biology, Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg 24061, USA
J Immunol 161:3077-86. 1998..The current study demonstrates for the first time that perforin and Fas ligand may actively participate in endothelial cell injury and induction of VLS in a variety of organs...
- Capillary leak syndrome in children who undergo cardiopulmonary bypass: clinical outcome in comparison with complement activation and C1 inhibitorB Stiller
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Germany
Intensive Care Med 27:193-200. 2001b>Capillary leak syndrome (CLS) is associated with significantly increased morbidity and occurs after cardiopulmonary bypass in children with congenital heart disease...
- Life-threatening capillary leak syndrome after G-CSF mobilization and collection of peripheral blood progenitor cells for allogeneic transplantationA M de Azevedo
Centro Nacional de Transplante de Medula Ossea, CEMO, , INCA, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:311-2. 2001We report a case of capillary leak syndrome in a 37-year-old female PBPC donor who received G-CSF 900 microg/day for 4 days and underwent leukapheresis...
- Plasma vascular endothelial growth factor level is a predictor of the severity of postoperative capillary leak syndrome in neonates undergoing cardiopulmonary bypassD Abrahamov
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Petah Tikva, Israel
Pediatr Surg Int 18:54-9. 2002b>Capillary leak syndrome (CLS), characterized by extravascular fluid accumulation and significant organ dysfunction, is a serious complication in children undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)...
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor-induced capillary leak syndrome confirmed by extravascular lung water measurementsDries H Deeren
Department of Internal Medicine, Ziekenhuisnetwerk Antwerpen Campus Stuivenberg, Lange Beeldekensstraat 267, 2060, Antwerp, Belgium
Ann Hematol 84:89-94. 2005The study purpose was to report the first case of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF)-induced capillary leak syndrome (CLS) in which serial extravascular lung water (EVLW) measurements were performed and to compare this case ..
- The systemic capillary leak syndrome: a case series of 28 patients from a European registryMarie Gousseff
Service de médecine interne 2, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Ann Intern Med 154:464-71. 2011The systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disease characterized by life-threatening attacks of capillary hyperpermeability.
- Two cases of systemic capillary leak syndrome that were treated with pentastarchYoung Seok Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 22:130-2. 2007Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a condition that's caused by the shift of fluid and protein from the intravascular space to the interstitial space as a result of repetitive episodes of capillary hyperpermeability...
- Systemic capillary leak syndromeShotetsu Kawabe
Department of Internal Medicine, Nagaoka Red Cross Hospital
Intern Med 41:211-5. 2002..We diagnosed the patient as having typical systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) and she improved gradually after infusion of albumin-containing fluid...
- Gemcitabine-induced systemic capillary leak syndromeT De Pas
Division of Medical Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milano, Italy
Ann Oncol 12:1651-2. 2001Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder with a high mortality rate, characterized by rapidly developing edema, weight gain and hypotension, hemoconcentration and hypoproteinemia...
- Capillary leak syndrome in a 5-month-old infant associated with intractable diarrhoeaHasan Onal
Division of Metabolic Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Ministry of Health Bakirkoy Maternity and Children Teaching Hospital
Ann Trop Paediatr 27:81-6. 2007Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder of unknown pathophysiology, characterised by episodic life-threatening hypotension, haemoconcentration and hypo-albuminaemia...
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome resulting from gemcitabine treatment in renal cell carcinoma: a case reportK Pulkkanen
Department of Oncology, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
J Chemother 15:287-9. 2003In a few cases, gemcitabine (GCB) has been shown to result in systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) in the treatment of non-small cell lung, pancreatic, and ovarian carcinomas...
- Capillary leak syndrome induced by acitretinJ L Estival
Department of Dermatology, Desgenettes Military Hospital, 108 Bd Pinel, 69275 Lyon cedex 3, France
Br J Dermatol 150:150-2. 2004..condition is poorly known because of the rarity of relevant observations, but apparently corresponds to capillary leak syndrome. The outcome is invariably favourable following withdrawal of the drug, which should be definitively ..
- Neurologic involvement in a child with systemic capillary leak syndromeRacheli Sion-Sarid
Wolfson Medical Center, Pediatric Neurology Unit, Holon 58100, Israel
Pediatrics 125:e687-92. 2010Idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare and life-threatening disorder of unknown pathology...
- Four-limb compartment syndrome associated with the systemic capillary leak syndromeD A Simon
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Canada, K1H 8L6
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:1700-2. 2010Systemic capillary leak syndrome, or the Clarkson syndrome, is an extremely rare condition in which increased capillary permeability results in a massive shift of fluid into the extravascular space...
- A case of idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome with high serum levels of G-CSF on exacerbationNaoki Nakagawa
Division of Cardiology, Nephrology, Pulmonology and Neurology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asahikawa Medical University, Japan
Intern Med 50:597-600. 2011Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a life-threatening disorder which presents with periodic episodes of hypovolemic shock, due to plasma leakage to the extra-vascular space reflected by accompanying hypoalbuminemia, ..
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome presenting as recurrent shockChristos Karatzios
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
Pediatr Crit Care Med 7:377-9. 2006To report a case of systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) in a child.
- Episodic idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome in a girlGregorio Paolo Milani
Pediatric Emergency Unit, Clinica De Marchi, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Int 55:e81-2. 2013Episodic idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome is a rare disorder that presents with attacks of circulatory shock due to plasma leakage into the extravascular space...
- Interleukin-11-induced capillary leak syndrome in primary hepatic carcinoma patients with thrombocytopeniaWang Kai-Feng
Department of Oncology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
BMC Cancer 11:204. 2011b>Capillary leak syndrome (CLS) is a rare condition characterized by recurrent episodes of generalized edema and severe hypotension associated with hypoproteinemia...
- Vascular endothelial hyperpermeability induces the clinical symptoms of Clarkson disease (the systemic capillary leak syndrome)Zhihui Xie
Molecular Signal Transduction Section, Laboratory of Allergic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 119:4321-32. 2012The systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder characterized by transient episodes of hypotensive shock and anasarca thought to arise from reversible microvascular barrier dysfunction...
- Systemic Capillary Leak Syndrome associated with hypovolemic shock and compartment syndrome. Use of transpulmonary thermodilution technique for volume managementBernd Saugel
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str, 22, D 81675 Munchen, Germany
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 18:38. 2010Systemic Capillary Leak Syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder characterized by increased capillary hyperpermeability leading to hypovolemic shock due to a markedly increased shift of fluid and protein from the intravascular to the ..
- Capillary protein leak syndrome appears to explain fluid retention in cancer patients who receive docetaxel treatmentK A Semb
Department of Oncology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo
J Clin Oncol 16:3426-32. 1998..The aim of our study was to elucidate whether the fluid retention syndrome induced by docetaxel is caused by capillary protein leakage or by other mechanisms...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is not required for IL-2-induced hypotension and vascular leak syndrome in miceMuralidhar Kondapaneni
Division of Oncology, Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Immunother 31:325-33. 2008..These results imply that other NOS isoforms, such as endothelial NOS, may play a major role in the development of IL-2-induced cardiovascular toxicity...
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome after granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF)Ian Rechner
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Royal Berkshire NHS Trust, Reading, Hampshire, UK
Hematol J 4:54-6. 2003b>Capillary leak syndrome (CLS) commonly occurs in the intensive care setting...
- Blockade of hyaluronan inhibits IL-2-induced vascular leak syndrome and maintains effectiveness of IL-2 treatment for metastatic melanomaHongbing Guan
Department of Pathology, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29209, USA
J Immunol 179:3715-23. 2007..Also, blockade of HA using Pep-1 could constitute a novel therapeutic modality to prevent IL-2-mediated toxicity, thereby facilitating the effectiveness of high-dose IL-2 in the treatment of metastatic melanomas...
- Impedance cardiography in the diagnosis of capillary leak syndrome caused by doxorubicin therapy in a patient with myeloma multiplexPaweł Krzesiński
Department of Cardiology and Internal Diseases, Military Institute of the Health Services, Warszawa, Poland
Cardiol J 17:88-91. 2010..However, a lung injury connected with its cytotoxic activity to pulmonary endothelium (capillary leak syndrome) can be an equally serious complication...
- Recurrent capillary leak syndrome following bortezomib therapy in a patient with relapsed myelomaShu Chen Hsiao
Division of Clinical Pharmacy Services, Department of Pharmacy, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Ann Pharmacother 44:587-9. 2010To describe the first case of bortezomib-induced capillary leak syndrome (CLS), a rare but potentially life-threatening condition characterized by the shift of intravascular fluid and protein to the interstitial space.
- Systemic capillary leak syndromeToshikazu Takabatake
Intern Med 41:909-10. 2002
- Acute pulmonary capillary leak syndrome during elective surgery under general anesthesiaSusumu Ohmi
Department of Anesthesia, Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo General Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Anesth 22:77-80. 2008..We should keep in mind that, especially following sepsis, sudden massive pulmonary capillary leak can occur during elective surgery, even though the patient's condition is well controlled...
- Lethal systemic capillary leak syndrome associated with severe ventilator-induced lung injury: an experimental studySrinivas Mandava
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine Branch, Section on Pulmonary and Cardiac Assist Devices, National Hearth, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Crit Care Med 31:885-92. 2003We report the evolution of severe ventilator-induced lung injury associated with lethal systemic capillary leak syndrome, when sheep were ventilated at a peak inspiratory pressure of 50 cm H2O, at a respiratory rate of 8 breaths...
- Synchronized changes in serum vascular endothelial growth factor during the clinical course of chronic systemic capillary leak syndromeYoshiaki Kinoshita
Advanced Medical Emergency and Critical Care Center, Yamaguchi University Hospital, Ube
Intern Med 49:791-4. 2010Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disease characterized by leakage of plasma from blood vessels into the interstitial space due to increased capillary permeability...
- Idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS): case report and systematic review of cases reported in the last 16 yearsVarun Dhir
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Intern Med 46:899-904. 2007Idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS), or Clarkson's disease is an unusual entity first described 45 years ago...
- Vessel injury and capillary leakRhonda S Fishel
Department of Surgery, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Crit Care Med 31:S502-11. 2003..To understand the mechanism of pathologic capillary leak in the critically ill patient...
- Systemic capillary leak syndromeRuri Chihara
Department of Nephrology, Saitama Medical School, Iruma gun, Saitama
Intern Med 41:953-6. 2002Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is characterized by recurrent hypovolemic shock attributable to increased systemic capillary leakage...
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome resulting in compartment syndrome and the requirement for a surgical airwayJ Perry
Department of Anaesthesia, University hosptials Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Coventry, UK
Anaesthesia 64:679-82. 2009We report on a case of systemic capillary leak syndrome associated with a monoclonal band on plasma electrophoresis...
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome associated with compartment syndromeMasami Matsumura
Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital, Kanazawa
Intern Med 46:1585-7. 2007Systemic capillary leak syndrome is characterized by recurrent hypovolemic shock attributable to increased systemic capillary leakage. A 26-year-old woman was admitted because of recurrent episodes of hypovolemic shock...
- Narrative review: the systemic capillary leak syndromeKirk M Druey
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, and Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 20892, USA
Ann Intern Med 153:90-8. 2010The systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disease of reversible plasma extravasation and vascular collapse accompanied by hemoconcentration and hypoalbuminemia...
- Systemic capillary leak syndrome associated with compartment syndrome and rhabdomyolysisR Sanghavi
Intensive Care Unit and Haematology Department, Liverpool Hospital, University of New South Wales, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:388-91. 2006Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder characterized by recurrent spontaneous episodes of hypovolaemic shock due to marked plasma shifts from the intravascular to the extravascular space...
- Chronic systemic capillary leak syndrome. Report of a case and review of the literatureL Airaghi
Third Division of Internal Medicine and the Division of Thoracic Surgery, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
J Intern Med 247:731-5. 2000Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare condition characterized by recurrent episodes of generalized oedema and severe hypotension, associated with paraproteinaemia...
- High-dose intravenous immunoglobulins dramatically reverse systemic capillary leak syndromeMarc Lambert
Department of Internal Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Lille II, Hospital Huriez, CHRU, Lille Cedex, France
Crit Care Med 36:2184-7. 2008The objective of this study was to report the dramatic improvement of patients with systemic capillary leak syndrome obtained with high-dose intravenous immunoglobulins.
- Idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome misdiagnosed and treated as polycythemia veraMichael Doubek
Department of Internal Medicine Hematology Oncology, University Hospital Brno, Brno, Czech Republic
Acta Haematol 113:150-1. 2005
- Initial evidence of endothelial cell apoptosis as a mechanism of systemic capillary leak syndromeR Assaly
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Chest 120:1301-8. 2001BACKGROUND: Systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) is a rare disorder of unknown etiology that is characterized by acute recurrent attacks of hypovolemic shock commonly following an inflammatory stimulus such as a viral illness...
- Regulation of interleukin-2-induced vascular leak syndrome by targeting CD44 using hyaluronic acid and anti-CD44 antibodiesAmjad Mustafa
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA
J Immunother 25:476-88. 2002..These studies demonstrate that molecular targeting of CD44 may serve as a useful tool to selectively alter the LAK activity and to prevent endothelial cell injury induced by IL-2...
- Extravasation of albumin after cardiopulmonary bypass in newbornsPeter Tassani
Department of Anesthesiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Munchen, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:174-8. 2007..to cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) possibly increases microvascular permeability to plasma proteins, leading to capillary leak syndrome. The study was conducted to elucidate any protein leakage in newborns using Evans blue dye as tracer.
- Homocysteine causes cerebrovascular leakage in miceDavid Lominadze
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Health Sciences Center, A 1115, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H1206-13. 2006..Treatment with a broad-range MMP inhibitor (GM-6001; 1 microM) ameliorated Hcy-induced F-actin formation. These data suggest that Hcy increases microvascular permeability, in part, through MMP-9 activation...
- [Molecular and biophysical mechanisms and modulation of ventilator-induced lung injury]E A Ventrice
Hospital Sanatorio Otamendi y Miroli, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Med Intensiva 31:73-82. 2007..Knowledge of the mechanisms involved in VILI is definitive for a better approach to this condition...
- Suppression of endotoxin-induced inflammation by taxolT Mirzapoiazova
Vascular Biology Center, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 2500, USA
Eur Respir J 30:429-35. 2007..Taken together, the present data demonstrate that microtubule stabilisation with taxol systemically attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation and vascular leak...
- Dose-response effect of perfluorocarbon administration on lung microvascular permeability in ratsJean Damien Ricard
EA 3512, IFR02 Claude Bernard, Institut National de al Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:1378-82. 2003..These findings confirm that liquid ventilation does not aggravate volutrauma provided perflubron doses are adjusted. They provide a lead to further investigate partial liquid ventilation in the clinical setting...
- Systemic microvascular leak in an in vivo rat model of ventilator-induced lung injuryWon Il Choi
Department of Medicine, Pulmonary Critical Care Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1627-32. 2003..Endothelial NOS may mediate the systemic microvascular leak of the present model of VILI...
- Capillary leak syndrome in children with C4A-deficiency undergoing cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass: a double-blind, randomised controlled studyShihai Zhang
Department of Anaesthesiology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
Lancet 366:556-62. 2005b>Capillary leak syndrome is a life-threatening complication after cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB), with an incidence of about 4-37% in children worldwide...
- Extravascular lung water to blood volume ratios as measures of permeability in sepsis-induced ALI/ARDSA B Johan Groeneveld
Department Intensive Care, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 32:1315-21. 2006....
- Role of endothelin-1 and cyclic nucleotides in ischemia/reperfusion-mediated microvascular leakRene Ramírez
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco East Bay, Alameda County Medical Center, Oakland, California 94602, USA
J Trauma 60:515-20; discussion 520-22. 2006..We hypothesize that IR-mediated microvascular fluid leak results from increased cGMP activity and ET-1 decreases IR-induced fluid leak via cAMP...
- Pulmonary and renal function following cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with systemic capillary leakC Scott Brudney
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:188-92. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare perioperative capillary permeability during cardiac surgery with subsequent pulmonary and renal function...
- [Fluid resuscitation in conditions with disorders of capillary permeability]M Matejovic
MJIP I interní kliniky LF UK a FN, Plzen
Cas Lek Cesk 141:540-5. 2002..It discusses the ongoing controversy on the optimal way and the end points of volume replacement as well as the choice of fluid in conditions associated with capillary leakage...
- Use of multiple fluorophores for evaluating microvascular permeability in control rats and rats with sepsisRagheb A Assaly
Department of Medicine, University of Toledo College of Medicine, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Clin Sci (Lond) 114:123-30. 2008..In conclusion, the double-fluorophore approach described in the present study may provide the future basis for a method to quantify capillary leak in disease...
- Increased and prolonged inflammation and angiogenesis in delayed-type hypersensitivity reactions elicited in the skin of thrombospondin-2--deficient miceBernhard Lange-Asschenfeldt
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Blood 99:538-45. 2002..These results reveal an important role of TSP-2 in limiting the extent and the duration of edema formation, angiogenesis, and inflammatory cell infiltration during acute and chronic inflammation...
- Early vascular permeability in murine experimental peritonitis is co-mediated by resident peritoneal macrophages and mast cells: crucial involvement of macrophage-derived cysteinyl-leukotrienesElzbieta Kolaczkowska
Department of Experimental Pathology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway
Inflammation 26:61-71. 2002..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that the resident peritoneal macrophages are in fact the main contributors to the vasopermeability at the early stages of zymosan-induced peritonitis...
- Chromogranin A protects vessels against tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced vascular leakageElisabetta Ferrero
Department Biological and Technological Research DIBIT, San Raffaele H Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
FASEB J 18:554-6. 2004....
- ZO-1 redistribution and F-actin stress fiber formation in pulmonary endothelial cells after thermal injuryJoseph T Murphy
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, MC 9158, Dallas, TX 75325 9158, USA
J Trauma 54:81-9; discussion 89-90. 2003..We hypothesized that myosin light chain kinase inhibition would diminish burn-enhanced endothelial monolayer permeability by secondarily preventing F-actin and actin anchoring protein rearrangements...
- Sensitive blood-retinal barrier breakdown quantitation using Evans blueQ Xu
Department of Surgical Research, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:789-94. 2001..The advantages of the Evans blue technique are its safety, relative simplicity, and economy...
- Thalidomide for systemic capillary leak syndromeJan Oliver Staak
Am J Med 115:332-4. 2003
- Neutral endopeptidase null mice are less susceptible to high altitude-induced pulmonary vascular leakDavid C Irwin
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, 80523, USA
High Alt Med Biol 6:311-9. 2005..54; p = 0.02) were noted. We conclude that NEP null mice exposed to HA have a greater rise in ANP versus ET-1 plasma concentration, decreased pulmonary vascular pressure, and reduced high altitude-induced pulmonary vascular leak...
- Intracellular signalling involved in modulating human endothelial barrier functionVictor W M van Hinsbergh
Department of Physiology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Anat 200:549-60. 2002..Finally, inhibitors of RhoA activation and Rho kinase represent a potentially valuable group of agents with endothelial hyperpermeability-reducing properties...
- Capillary leak syndrome caused by cytostaticsT W Stief
Ann Hematol 84:484. 2005
- Constitutive expression of IL-2Rbeta chain and its effects on IL-2-induced vascular leak syndromeEric Assier
Unite de Pharmacologie Cellulaire, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Cytokine 32:280-6. 2005..This study also characterizes a humanized animal model that could be further used to study human IL-2 activity and side effects in vivo...
- Evidence for the involvement of CD44 in endothelial cell injury and induction of vascular leak syndrome by IL-2A Q Rafi-Janajreh
Department of Biology, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg 24061, USA
J Immunol 163:1619-27. 1999..Blocking CD44 in vivo may offer a novel therapeutic approach to prevent endothelial cell injury by cytotoxic lymphocytes in a variety of clinical disease models...
- Immune consequences of pediatric and adult cardiovascular surgery: report of the 7th Leipzig workshopAttila Tarnok
Pediatric Cardiology, Cardiac Center Leipzig, University of Leipzig, Germany
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 54:54-7. 2003..is risky for the patient and can lead to postoperative complications such as postpericardiotomy syndrome, capillary leak syndrome, or multiple organ failure...
- NK cells and polymorphonuclear neutrophils are both critical for IL-2-induced pulmonary vascular leak syndromeEric Assier
Unite de Pharmacologie Cellulaire, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Immunol 172:7661-8. 2004..Together our results indicate that both NK and PMN cells play a central role in the late events of IL-2-induced VLS...
- A 59-year-old man with shock, polycythemia, and an underlying paraproteinemiaKarolien Dams
Department of General Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Chest 132:1393-6. 2007
- [The clinical relevance of subcutaneous-thoracic ratio in preterm newborns as a possibility for quantification of capillary leak syndrome]J Sonntag
Kinderklinik, Städtisches Klinikum Lüneburg
Z Geburtshilfe Neonatol 207:208-12. 2003b>Capillary leak syndrome (CLS) is associated with increased morbidity and mortality in preterm newborns (PN) with sepsis or necrotizing enterocolitis.
- Early treatment with hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 causes greater inhibition of pulmonary capillary leakage and inflammatory response than treatment instituted later in sepsis induced by cecal ligation and puncture in ratsXiaomei Feng
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, P R China
Ann Clin Lab Sci 37:49-56. 2007..4 at 4 or 10 hr after the septic insult resulted in the greatest decreases in inflammatory mediators, suggesting that HES 130/0.4 is more protective against pulmonary capillary leakage when given early rather than later during sepsis...
- [Two cases of renal cell carcinoma with ascites after interleukin-2 therapy]Go Kobori
Department of Urology, Osaka Red Cross Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 48:455-7. 2002..We, herein, report two cases of VLS, which occurred following IL-2 therapy against metastatic renal cell carcinoma. One of them died of multiple organ failure one month after the cessation of IL-2 therapy...
- Hypertonic-hyperoncotic solutions improve cardiac function in children after open-heart surgeryMichael Schroth
Kinder und Jugendklinik, Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Loschgestrasse 15, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Pediatrics 118:e76-84. 2006....
- Increased transcription factor expression and permeability of the blood brain barrier associated with cardiopulmonary bypass in lambsMarco Cavaglia
Department of Anesthesia Research, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1418-25. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of CPB and hypothermic circulatory arrest on expression of the transcription factor FOS and the function of the BBB in an infant animal model...
- Capillary leak syndrome after cardiopulmonary bypass in elective, uncomplicated coronary artery bypass grafting operations: does it exist?P Tassani
Department of Anesthesiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:735-41. 2002..However, capillary leak syndrome is mainly a clinical diagnosis and has not been verified as yet by actual demonstration of protein ..
- Effects of circuit miniaturization in reducing inflammatory response to infant cardiopulmonary bypass by elimination of allogeneic blood productsEdward Hickey
Division of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201 3098, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:S2367-72. 2006..In this article, we review the data supporting this rationale and provide the results from studies in our laboratory that emphasize the benefits of circuit miniaturization...
- Paediatric CPB: bypass in a high risk groupT J Jones
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, UK
Perfusion 21:229-33. 2006..Deep hypothermia, low flow CPB and circulatory arrest are frequently used. An understanding of the related pathophysiology is therefore required to make the correct choices and to optimise patient outcome...
- Evidence for development of capillary leak syndrome associated with cardiopulmonary bypass in pediatric patients with the homozygous C4A null phenotypeShihai Zhang
Department of Anesthesiology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Anesthesiology 100:1387-93. 2004The mechanism of postoperative capillary leak syndrome related to cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) is unknown...
- Atelectasis causes vascular leak and lethal right ventricular failure in uninjured rat lungsMichelle Duggan
The Lung Biology Program, The Research Institute, and the Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, and the Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1633-40. 2003....
- Time and tidal volume-dependent ventilator-induced lung injury in healthy ratsB Walder
University Hospitals of Geneva, Division of Anaesthiological Investigations, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:785-94. 2005..We evaluated the effect of duration of mechanical ventilation with different tidal volumes (VT) on ventilator-induced lung injury in healthy rats...
- IFN-beta protects from vascular leakage via up-regulation of CD73Jan Kiss
MediCity Research Laboratory, University of Turku, Department of Medical Microbiology, and Turku University Hospital, Department of Surgery, Finland
Eur J Immunol 37:3334-8. 2007..Moreover, IFN-beta treatment may be useful in alleviating vascular leakage induced by ischemia-reperfusion injury...
- Expression, purification, and characterization of an immunotoxin containing a humanized anti-CD25 single-chain fragment variable antibody fused to a modified truncated Pseudomonas exotoxin AHuajing Wang
International Joint Cancer Institute, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, People s Republic of China
Protein Expr Purif 58:140-7. 2008..The protein expression, purification, and refolding system established in this paper is important for further study on immunotoxin CD25-PE38KDELKQK...
- Genetic engineering of an immunotoxin to eliminate pulmonary vascular leak in miceJoan E Smallshaw
Cancer Immunobiology Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390 8576, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:387-91. 2003..One mutant was comparable to the ricin A chain used before in all respects except that it did not cause vascular leak at the same dose and, when used as an immunotoxin, was more effective in xenografted SCID mice...
- Taming ricin toxinRobert J Kreitman
Nat Biotechnol 21:372-4. 2003
- Vascular leak syndrome of Sprague-Dawley rats in a mandibular distraction osteogenesis studyCarole R Baskin
Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Comp Med 53:207-12. 2003..Hence, the rat may be a useful animal model to h elp characterize the physiologic and molecular events that accompany this syndrome...
- Validation of C1-esterase inhibitor therapy in severe capillary leak syndrome by monitoring of extravascular lung waterStefan Kluge
Intensive Care Med 30:731. 2004
- Capillary leakage syndrome: a case report and a reviewS Garces
Medical Clinic, Lisbon University Hospital
Allerg Immunol (Paris) 34:361-4. 2002..Further studies are necessary with the objective to collect enough patients with CLS to observe natural history of the disease and evaluate the efficacy of empiric treatments...
- [Subcutaneous inflammatory edema induced by MINE chemotherapy]E Maubec
Service de Dermatologie, ,
Ann Dermatol Venereol 128:534-7. 2001..Three clinicopathological hypotheses could be put forward: capillary leak syndrome, panniculitis, toxic fasciitis...
- Anticancer drug-induced kidney disordersP E Kintzel
Department of Pharmacy, Harper Hospital, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Drug Saf 24:19-38. 2001..b>Capillary leak syndrome occurring with aldesleukin therapy can cause renal dysfunction...
- [Effect of fluid resuscitation on capillary permeability and vascular endothelial growth factor in dogs with septic shock]Yi zhen Qiu
Intensive Care Unit, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong 226001, Jiangsu, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 19:270-3. 2007..the change in capillary permeability and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) after resuscitation with different fluids in dogs with septic shock, and to investigate the possible mechanism and treatment of capillary leak syndrome.
- Convalescent pulmonary dysfunction following hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Panama and the United StatesFernando Gracia
Ministry of Health, Panama City, Republic of Panama
Lung 188:387-91. 2010..In all types of HPS, the viral prodrome, cardiopulmonary phase due to massive pulmonary capillary leak syndrome, and spontaneous diuresis are followed by a convalescent phase with exertional dyspnea for 3-4 weeks, ..
- Immunotoxin therapy of small-cell lung cancer: a phase I study of N901-blocked ricinT J Lynch
Hematology Oncology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:723-34. 1997..Preclinical studies suggested the potential for clinically significant cardiac and neurologic toxicity. We present a phase I study of N901-bR in relapsed SCLC...
- [New strategy of treatment for POEMS syndrome--autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation and thalidomide therapy]Satoshi Kuwabara
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Brain Nerve 60:627-33. 2008..Serious complications such as multiorgan failure due to capillary leak syndrome and thromboembolic events may occur, resulting in poor prognosis...
- Recombinant human granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor (rhGM-CSF) given as daily short infusions--a phase I dose-toxicity studyW P Steward
CRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK
Br J Cancer 59:142-5. 1989..Patients undergoing chemotherapy may benefit both from a reduction of the myelosuppressive effects of cytotoxic agents and from an antitumour effect if GM-CSF is incorporated into future regimens...
- Correlation between development of pulmonary edema and response of pulmonary metastases of metastatic melanoma and kidney cancer to high-dose continuous-infusion interleukin-2Walter D Y Quan
Medical Oncology and Hematology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 20:151-4. 2005..They are also able to lyse endothelial cells, which accounts for, at least in part, the capillary leak syndrome seen as one of the toxicities with this therapy...
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of docetaxel combined with melphalan and carboplatin, with autologous hematopoietic progenitor cell support, in patients with advanced refractory malignanciesYago Nieto
University of Colorado Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Denver, Colorado, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:297-306. 2005..Five patients died from direct regimen-related organ toxicity (2 capillary leak syndrome, 2 enterocolitis, and 1 hepatic toxicity), and 1 additional patient died from pulmonary aspergillosis...
- Unusual childhood extramedullary hematologic malignancy with natural killer cell properties that contains tropomyosin 4--anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene fusionS J Meech
Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Blood 98:1209-16. 2001..describes an unusual extramedullary hematologic malignancy in an 18-month-old child who presented with a capillary leak syndrome that evolved into hyperleukocytosis with malignant cells...
- Phase I study of ch14.18 with granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and interleukin-2 in children with neuroblastoma after autologous bone marrow transplantation or stem-cell rescue: a report from the Children's Oncology GroupAndrew L Gilman
Levine Children s Hospital, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:85-91. 2009..Biologic correlates including ch14.18 levels, soluble IL-2 receptor levels, and human antichimeric antibody (HACA) activity were evaluated...
- Improved outcome in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis after bone marrow transplantation from related and unrelated donors: a single-centre experience of 12 patientsM Dürken
Abteilung für Pädiatrische Onkologie und Hämatologie, Abteilung für Knochenmarktransplantation, Hamburg, Germany
Br J Haematol 106:1052-8. 1999..Major toxicities were hepatic veno-occlusive disease in five, capillary leak syndrome in two, pneumonia in three, sepsis in one, severe mucositis in one and seizures in two patients...
- Bexarotene and DAB(389)IL-2 (denileukin diftitox, ONTAK) in treatment of cutaneous T-cell lymphomas: algorithmsM Duvic
Dermatology Section, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Lymphoma 1:S51-5. 2000..it is effective in killing T cells that surround dermal vessels, cytokine release may occur and result in capillary leak syndrome. Hence, it will be reserved for more advanced and refractory patients and will require intravenous ..
- Emergency feasibility in medical intensive care unit of extracorporeal life support for refractory cardiac arrestBruno Megarbane
Lariboisiere Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Medical and Toxicological Critical Care Department, University of Paris 7, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75010, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 33:758-64. 2007..To report the feasibility, complications, and outcomes of emergency extracorporeal life support (ECLS) in refractory cardiac arrests in medical intensive care unit (ICU)...
- The response of antithrombin III activity after supplementation decreases in proportion to the severity of sepsis and liver dysfunctionMineji Hayakawa
Emergency and Critical Care Center, Hokkaido University Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Shock 30:649-52. 2008..is thought to result from consumption by ongoing coagulation, degradation by neutrophil elastase, capillary leak syndrome, and impaired synthesis...
- Predicting toxicity and success of anti-GD2 immunotherapy of neuroblastomaAlice L Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..18 infusion and treatment, including hypersensitivity reaction capillary leak syndrome, and neuropathic pain;and 4) Determine if the presence and/or levels of antibodies to the non-human ..
- CELLULAR MECHANISMS OF SEPSIS AND ORGAN FAILURERICHARD SAMUEL HOTCHKISS; Fiscal Year: 2012..show that IL-7 is well-tolerated in patients and unlike IL-2 or IL-12, IL-7 does not induce fever, capillary leak syndrome, or other clinical abnormalities related to release of pro-inflammatory cytokines...
- The Glycocalyx and Endothelial Barrier RegulationRANDAL DULL; Fiscal Year: 2005..in endothelial barrier regulation; this knowledge may lead to new therapeutic strategies to treat capillary leak syndrome. For example, novel resuscitation fluids composed of synthetic colloids could be developed that exploit ..
- Novel anti-oxidant catalyst to treat IL-2 toxicityGarry Southan; Fiscal Year: 2003..These host responses include a massive capillary leak syndrome, manifested as non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema and consequent respiratory failure...
- CUTANEOUS ONCOLOGYMadeleine Duvic; Fiscal Year: 2004..Young physicians and students who receive advanced training in the proper detection, prevention, and treatment of skin cancers will be a resource and may improve outcomes for patients of the future. ..
- The role of dendritic cell-T cell interactions in the p*Mariana Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2006..These could lead into the development of novel therapeutic interventions designed to reverse these abnormalities and abrogate or block the onset and/or severity of this disease. ..
- Mechanisms of T-cell induced-APC cytotoxicity in lupusMariana Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The sponsor and the institution are committed to contributing protected time, career development and resources to the applicant. ..
- The Role of COX-2 and PPAR-Gamma in Pancreatic CancerGuido Eibl; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..