Genomes and Genes
Summary: Narrowing or stricture of the internal, common, or external carotid artery, most often as a result of atherosclerotic plaque formation. Ulcerations may form in atherosclerotic plaques and induce thrombus formation. Platelet or cholesterol emboli may arise from stenotic carotid lesions and induce a transient ischemic attack (ISCHEMIC ATTACK, TRANSIENT) or CEREBROVASCULAR ACCIDENT. Emboli which travel to the eye may manifest as AMAUROSIS FUGAX (temporary blindness). (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp822-3)
Publications324 found, 100 shown here
- Carotid artery stenosis: gray-scale and Doppler US diagnosis--Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus ConferenceEdward G Grant
Department of Radiology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, USC University Hospital, 1500 San Pablo St, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Radiology 229:340-6. 2003..The panel also considered various technical aspects of carotid US and methods for quality assessment and identified several important unanswered questions meriting future research...
- Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosisThomas G Brott
Mayo Clinic, Griffin 304, 4500 San Pablo Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
N Engl J Med 363:11-23. 2010..Carotid-artery stenting and carotid endarterectomy are both options for treating carotid-artery stenosis, an important cause of stroke...
- Severely impaired cerebrovascular reactivity predicts stroke and TIA risk in patients with carotid artery stenosis and occlusionH Markus
Clinical Neuroscience, St George s Hospital Medical School, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, UK
Brain 124:457-67. 2001..studies suggest that impaired cerebral haemodynamics is associated with symptomatic status in patients with carotid stenosis and occlusion, but there is relatively little prospective data confirming this association...
- In vivo MRI-based 3D mechanical stress-strain profiles of carotid plaques with juxtaluminal plaque haemorrhage: an exploratory study for the mechanism of subsequent cerebrovascular eventsZ Teng
University Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, Level 5, Box 218, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 42:427-33. 2011..Three-dimensional mechanical analysis was employed to represent the critical mechanical stress (P-CStress) and stretch (P-CStretch) within the plaque...
- Carotid artery stenting compared with endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis (International Carotid Stenting Study): an interim analysis of a randomised controlled trialJörg Ederle
Institute of Neurology, University College London, Box 6, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Lancet 375:985-97. 2010Stents are an alternative treatment to carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis, but previous trials have not established equivalent safety and efficacy...
- Analysis of pooled data from the randomised controlled trials of endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosisP M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Lancet 361:107-16. 2003Endarterectomy reduces risk of stroke in certain patients with recently symptomatic internal carotid stenosis. However, investigators have made different recommendations about the degree of stenosis above which surgery is effective, ..
- Composition of carotid atherosclerotic plaque is associated with cardiovascular outcome: a prognostic studyWillem E Hellings
Department of Vascular Surgery, Experimental Cardiology Laboratory, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, Suite G02 523, 3584CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Circulation 121:1941-50. 2010..The objective of the present study was to investigate whether atherosclerotic plaque composition is associated with the occurrence of future vascular events...
- Moderate carotid artery stenosis: MR imaging-depicted intraplaque hemorrhage predicts risk of cerebrovascular ischemic events in asymptomatic menNavneet Singh
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview St, Toronto, ON, Canada M4N 3M5
Radiology 252:502-8. 2009..IPH) in the carotid artery wall and the risk of future ipsilateral cerebrovascular events in men with asymptomatic moderate carotid stenosis by using a rapid three-dimensional T1-weighted fat-suppressed spoiled gradient-echo sequence.
- Cerebral hemodynamics and cognitive performance in bilateral asymptomatic carotid stenosisClotilde Balucani
Department of Neurology, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Neurology 79:1788-95. 2012To evaluate cognitive performance in subjects with bilateral asymptomatic carotid stenosis (B-ACS) compared to subjects with unilateral ACS and to subjects with no carotid stenosis (CS) and to explore the relationship between cognitive ..
- Cognitive and physical performance in patients with asymptomatic carotid artery diseaseNancy C Landgraff
Department of Physical Therapy, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH, USA
J Neurol 257:982-91. 2010..These areas of function and the potential change in their status need to be considered when patients are being evaluated for interventions to manage their carotid artery disease...
- Cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide and outcome in patients with symptomatic internal carotid or middle cerebral artery occlusion: a xenon-133 single-photon emission computed tomography studyKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery and Cyclotron Research Center, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Stroke 33:1857-62. 2002....
- Impaired cerebral vasoreactivity and risk of stroke in patients with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosisM Silvestrini
Clinica Neurologica, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Ospedale S Eugenio, Rome, Italy
JAMA 283:2122-7. 2000..However, preliminary evidence suggests that an alteration in cerebral hemodynamic function may play a relevant role in the occurrence of stroke in patients with carotid artery disease...
- Histological assessment of 526 symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to the nature and timing of ischemic symptoms: the Oxford plaque studyJ N E Redgrave
Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, OX2 6HE, United Kingdom
Circulation 113:2320-8. 2006..Previous histological studies have been too small or insufficiently detailed to reliably determine the temporal course of features of plaque instability or to stratify analyses by the nature of presenting symptoms...
- Association between biomechanical structural stresses of atherosclerotic carotid plaques and subsequent ischaemic cerebrovascular events--a longitudinal in vivo magnetic resonance imaging-based finite element studyU Sadat
University Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 40:485-91. 2010..The biomechanical stress profile of stable plaques has been observed to differ from that of unstable plaques; however, the role that structural stresses play in determining plaque vulnerability remains speculative...
- Detection of intraplaque hemorrhage by magnetic resonance imaging in symptomatic patients with mild to moderate carotid stenosis predicts recurrent neurological eventsNishath Altaf
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 47:337-42. 2008Carotid endarterectomy is beneficial in severe (>70%) symptomatic carotid stenosis. The risk of stroke in moderate carotid stenosis (50%-69%) is modest, and so the role of carotid endarterectomy in this group is unclear...
- Association between carotid plaque characteristics and subsequent ischemic cerebrovascular events: a prospective assessment with MRI--initial resultsNorihide Takaya
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Stroke 37:818-23. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that the characteristics of carotid plaque, as assessed by MRI, are possible predictors of future ipsilateral cerebrovascular events...
- Neuropsychological impairment in stroke, carotid stenosis, and peripheral vascular disease, A comparison with healthy community residentsR Rao
Department of Old Age Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College School of Medicine and Dentistry, Dulwich Hospital, London, UK
Stroke 30:2167-73. 1999..The main hypothesis was that older people with both transient ischemic attack (TIA) and PVD would demonstrate greater cognitive impairment than controls...
- Cerebrovascular reserve and stroke risk in patients with carotid stenosis or occlusion: a systematic review and meta-analysisAjay Gupta
Department of Radiology, Weill Cornell Medical School, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 525 East 68th Street, Starr 8A, Box 141, New York, NY 10065, USA
Stroke 43:2884-91. 2012..The purpose of this study is to perform a systematic review and meta-analysis to summarize the association of CVR impairment and stroke risk...
- Impairments in cognitive function and brain connectivity in severe asymptomatic carotid stenosisHsien Lin Cheng
Institute of Brain Science, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Stroke 43:2567-73. 2012Severe asymptomatic carotid stenosis has been associated with cognitive impairment, but it is unknown whether this association is attributable to effects on brain connectivity...
- Management strategies for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisGowri Raman
Center for Clinical Evidence Synthesis and Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 158:676-85. 2013..Adults with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis are at increased risk for ipsilateral carotid territory ischemic stroke...
- Identification of intraplaque hemorrhage on MR angiography images: a comparison of contrast-enhanced mask and time-of-flight techniquesY Qiao
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:454-9. 2011..We sought to determine the accuracy and reliability of these MRA sequences to detect IPH...
- Atherosclerotic plaque rupture and intraplaque hemorrhage do not correlate with symptoms in carotid artery stenosisJose Milei
Instituto de Investigaciones Cardiologicas, Marcelo T de Alvear 2270, C1122AAJ, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Vasc Surg 38:1241-7. 2003..The purpose of this study was to analyze the relation between the anatomy of the carotid plaques and the presence of symptoms in 281 carotid endarterectomy specimens...
- Improved carotid atherosclerotic plaques imaging with contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS)D A Clevert
Department of Clinical Radiology, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 48:141-8. 2011..To evaluate neovascularisation within carotid atherosclerotic plaques with contrast enhanced ultrasound...
- Study of reproducibility of human arterial plaque reconstruction and its effects on stress analysis based on multispectral in vivo magnetic resonance imagingHao Gao
Brunel Institute for Bioengineering, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 30:85-93. 2009..To quantify the uncertainties of carotid plaque morphology reconstruction based on patient-specific multispectral in vivo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and their impacts on the plaque stress analysis...
- Four-dimensional ultrasonographic characterization of plaque surface motion in patients with symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid artery stenosisS Meairs
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Klinikum Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Stroke 30:1807-13. 1999..We investigated plaque surface deformations in patients with symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid artery disease using 4-dimensional ultrasonography and techniques for measuring optical flow...
- An enriched environment reverses the synaptic plasticity deficit induced by chronic cerebral hypoperfusionHong Zhu
Department of Neurology, Zhongnan Hospital, Wuhan University, No 169 Donghu Road, Wuchang District, Wuhan 430071, China
Neurosci Lett 502:71-5. 2011..The EE effect probably resulted from the regulation of postsynaptic potentiation...
- Carotid stenosis and the cognitive functionLaszlo K Sztriha
Department of Neurology, Albert Szent Gyorgyi Clinical Center, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
J Neurol Sci 283:36-40. 2009..The evidence available at present does not seem strong enough to include consideration of a loss of cognition as a factor in determining the balance of the risks and benefits of therapy for a carotid stenosis.
- Short-term outcome after stenting versus endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a preplanned meta-analysis of individual patient dataLeo H Bonati
Department of Neurology and StrokeUnit, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Lancet 376:1062-73. 2010..of stroke associated with carotid stenting than with carotid endarterectomy for the treatment of symptomatic carotid stenosis. However, these trials were underpowered for investigation of whether carotid artery stenting might be a safe ..
- Relationships between recent intraplaque hemorrhage and stroke risk factors in patients with carotid stenosis: the HIRISC studyGuillaume Turc
Department of Neurology Hôpital Sainte Anne, 1 rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:492-9. 2012..However, little is known about the relationships between IPH and traditional risk factors and whether these relationships differ between symptomatic and asymptomatic disease...
- Comparison of the five 2011 guidelines for the treatment of carotid stenosisKosmas I Paraskevas
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Nurnberg, Germany
J Vasc Surg 55:1504-8. 2012..The differences in the recommendations between the five Guideline Committees are analyzed and discussed...
- Inflammation in carotid atherosclerotic plaque: a dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging studyWilliam S Kerwin
Department of Radiology, Division of Cardiology, and Department of Surgery, University of Washington, 815 Mercer St, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Radiology 241:459-68. 2006..To prospectively evaluate if there is an association between plaque enhancement at magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and proinflammatory cardiovascular risk factors and plaque content...
- MR carotid plaque imaging and contrast-enhanced MR angiography identifies lesions associated with recent ipsilateral thromboembolic symptoms: an in vivo study at 3TJ K Demarco
Department of Radiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:1395-402. 2010..This study aims to identify specific plaque features on 3T carotid MR imaging and CE-MRA associated with recent carotid thromboembolic symptoms in patients with mild/moderate versus severe stenosis...
- New brain lesions after carotid revascularization are not associated with cognitive performanceKatrin Wasser
Department of Neurology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Vasc Surg 53:61-70. 2011..is increasingly being used as a treatment alternative to endarterectomy (CEA) for patients with significant carotid stenosis. However, diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) has indicated that CAS is associated with a significantly higher ..
- Evidence-based treatment of carotid artery stenosisKate C Young
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
Neurosurg Focus 30:E2. 2011..Finally, the choice of revascularization technique is discussed with respect to symptom status. Based on current evidence, CAS should remain limited to specific indications...
- Carotid artery stenting in acute strokePanagiotis Papanagiotou
Clinic for Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:2363-9. 2011..The purpose of this study is to demonstrate the technical success of carotid artery stenting in acute extracranial internal carotid artery (ICA) occlusion as well as the benefit in clinical outcome...
- Preliminary in vivo atherosclerotic carotid plaque characterization using the accumulated axial strain and relative lateral shift strain indicesHairong Shi
Department of Medical Physics, The University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Phys Med Biol 53:6377-94. 2008....
- Functional profile of activated dendritic cells in unstable atherosclerotic plaqueChristian Erbel
Department of Cardiology, Internal Medical Clinic III University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 102:123-32. 2007..This study established a functional profile of plaque-residing dendritic cells (DC) to examine whether they can function as Ag-presenting cells to facilitate in situ T-cell activation...
- Study of carotid arterial plaque stress for symptomatic and asymptomatic patientsHao Gao
Centre for excellence in Signal and Image Processing, Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G11XW, UK
J Biomech 44:2551-7. 2011..The combined analyses of plaque MR image and plaque stress will advance our understanding of plaque rupture, and provide a useful tool on assessing plaque rupture risk...
- Discriminating carotid atherosclerotic lesion severity by luminal stenosis and plaque burden: a comparison utilizing high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging at 3.0 TeslaXihai Zhao
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Stroke 42:347-53. 2011..To determine associations between stenosis, measures of plaque burden, and compositional features of carotid atherosclerosis, including high-risk features of intraplaque hemorrhage (IPH) and surface disruption...
- Identification of carotid 'vulnerable plaque' by contrast-enhanced ultrasonography: correlation with plaque histology, symptoms and cerebral computed tomographyG L Faggioli
Department of Specialistic Surgeries and Anesthesiological Sciences, University of Bologna, Policlinico S Orsola, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 41:238-48. 2011..We investigated the role of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (CEUS) to identify carotid vulnerable plaque...
- Vasa vasorum and plaque neovascularization on contrast-enhanced carotid ultrasound imaging correlates with cardiovascular disease and past cardiovascular eventsDaniel Staub
Department of Internal Medicine, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Stroke 41:41-7. 2010..In this observational study, the presence of carotid intraplaque neovascularization and adventitial vasa vasorum were correlated with the presence and occurrence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and events (CVE)...
- Carotid artery stents: in vitro comparison of different stent designs and sizes using CT angiography and contrast-enhanced MR angiography at 1.5T and 3TM Lettau
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg Medical Center, Heidelberg, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1993-7. 2009..5T, and CE-MRA at 3T for the visualization of carotid artery stents and to define the best noninvasive imaging technique as an alternative to conventional angiography for each stent...
- Risk of stroke, transient ischemic attack, and vessel occlusion before endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosisTill Blaser
Department of Neurology, University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Stroke 33:1057-62. 2002..We aimed to identify and determine the clinical relevance of parameters predictive of stroke recurrence and vessel occlusion before carotid endarterectomy...
- Outcome of carotid artery occlusion is predicted by cerebrovascular reactivityF Vernieri
AFaR CRCCS Divisione di Neurologia Ospedale Fatebenefratelli, Isola Tiberina, Roma, Italy
Stroke 30:593-8. 1999....
- Duplex ultrasound and magnetic resonance angiography compared with digital subtraction angiography in carotid artery stenosis: a systematic reviewPaul J Nederkoorn
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stroke 34:1324-32. 2003....
- Long-term prognosis of medically treated patients with internal carotid or middle cerebral artery occlusion: can acetazolamide test predict it?S Kuroda
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido Neurosurgical Memorial Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Stroke 32:2110-6. 2001....
- Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus aspirin alone for reducing embolisation in patients with acute symptomatic cerebral or carotid artery stenosis (CLAIR study): a randomised, open-label, blinded-endpoint trialKa Sing Lawrence Wong
Departments of Medicine and Therapeutics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Lancet Neurol 9:489-97. 2010..marker of future stroke risk and have been used to show treatment efficacy in patients with extracranial carotid stenosis. We aimed to investigate whether treatment with clopidogrel plus aspirin reduced the number of microembolic ..
- Differences between carotid wall morphological phenotypes measured by ultrasound in one, two and three dimensionsKhalid Al-Shali
Blackburn Cardiovascular Genetics Laboratory, Robarts Research Institute, 406 100 Perth Drive, London, Ont, Canada N6A 5K8
Atherosclerosis 178:319-25. 2005..Because the measurements have different implications and determinants, investigators might need to be selective about the particular measurements they choose for specific applications...
- Carotid intraplaque hemorrhage predicts recurrent symptoms in patients with high-grade carotid stenosisNishath Altaf
Department of Academic Radiology, University of Nottingham, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Stroke 38:1633-5. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess whether the identification of IPH by MRI predicts recurrent clinical cerebrovascular events...
- Sites of rupture in human atherosclerotic carotid plaques are associated with high structural stresses: an in vivo MRI-based 3D fluid-structure interaction studyDalin Tang
Mathematical Sciences Department, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA 01609, USA
Stroke 40:3258-63. 2009..To test that hypothesis, 3D fluid-structure interaction models were constructed based on in vivo MRI data of human atherosclerotic carotid plaques to assess structural stress behaviors of plaques with and without rupture...
- Clinical imaging of the high-risk or vulnerable atherosclerotic plaqueZ A Fayad
Zena and Michael A Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Circ Res 89:305-16. 2001....
- In vivo detection of macrophages in human carotid atheroma: temporal dependence of ultrasmall superparamagnetic particles of iron oxide-enhanced MRIRikin A Trivedi
University Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Stroke 35:1631-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the time course for macrophage visualization with in vivo contrast-enhanced MRI using an ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) agent in symptomatic human carotid disease...
- MR imaging of adventitial vasa vasorum in carotid atherosclerosisW S Kerwin
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Magn Reson Med 59:507-14. 2008..141 +/- 0.036 vs. 0.111 +/- 0.017 min(-1); P = 0.02). Because these factors are all associated with higher risk of atherosclerotic complications, these results suggest that adventitial K(trans) may be a marker of risk as well...
- Medical (nonsurgical) intervention alone is now best for prevention of stroke associated with asymptomatic severe carotid stenosis: results of a systematic review and analysisAnne L Abbott
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Stroke 40:e573-83. 2009..advances in vascular disease medical intervention since large randomized trials for asymptomatic severe carotid stenosis were conducted (1983-2003) have prompted doubt over current expectations of a surgical benefit...
- Relationship between blood pressure and stroke risk in patients with symptomatic carotid occlusive diseaseP M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Rd, Oxford OX2 6HE UK
Stroke 34:2583-90. 2003..with severe carotid occlusive disease, particularly those with a carotid occlusion or bilateral > or =70% carotid stenosis in whom cerebral perfusion is often impaired and may depend directly on systemic blood pressure...
- Joint recommendations for reporting carotid ultrasound investigations in the United KingdomC P Oates
Regional Medical Physics Department, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BE, United Kingdom
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 37:251-61. 2009..General recommendations are also given for the acquisition, interpretation and reporting of the data...
- Carotid stenosis after adjuvant cervical radiotherapy in patients with head and neck cancers: a prospective controlled studyA Greco
Department of Sensory Organs, Otorhinolaryngology Section Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Clin Otolaryngol 37:376-81. 2012To determine the prevalence of radiation-induced carotid stenosis, in patients who were treated for head and neck malignancies, using colour-flow duplex scanning.
- Intensity of chronic cerebral hypoperfusion determines white/gray matter injury and cognitive/motor dysfunction in miceKazunori Miki
Department of Neurology and Neurological Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurosci Res 87:1270-81. 2009..Our MCH mouse model with the development of several types of neurological dysfunction with high reproducibility would be useful for investigating the pathomechanisms of WM injury in human SIVD...
- Vaspin serum concentrations in patients with carotid stenosisGabriela Aust
Center of Surgery, Department of Visceral, Transplantation, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery, Medical Faculty, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Atherosclerosis 204:262-6. 2009..We therefore assessed vaspin serum concentrations in 107 consecutive patients with carotid stenosis undergoing carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in relation to severity of atherosclerosis, measures of obesity and ..
- Carotid plaques in transient ischemic attack and stroke patients: one-year follow-up study by magnetic resonance imagingRobert M Kwee
Department of Radiology, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Invest Radiol 45:803-9. 2010..To investigate the natural course of carotid plaque progression in transient ischemic attack/stroke patients by using serial multisequence magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Histological features of symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to age and smoking: the oxford plaque studyJessica N E Redgrave
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Stroke 41:2288-94. 2010..However, in patients with similarly severe symptomatic carotid stenosis, increasing age is associated with a greater risk of ipsilateral ischemic stroke...
- Automated in vivo segmentation of carotid plaque MRI with Morphology-Enhanced probability mapsFei Liu
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Magn Reson Med 55:659-68. 2006..71, 0.76, 0.33, and 0.78, respectively. These results show that in vivo automatic segmentation of carotid MRI is feasible and comparable to or possibly more accurate than manual review for quantifying plaque composition...
- Cerebrovascular reactivity within perfusion territories in patients with an internal carotid artery occlusionReinoud P H Bokkers
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 82:1011-6. 2011....
- Neurological complications of carotid revascularisationTeddy Y Wu
Department of Neurology, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:543-50. 2012Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is an effective treatment for patients with recently symptomatic severe carotid stenosis and in selected patients with symptomatic moderate carotid stenosis...
- The ATHEROMA (Atorvastatin Therapy: Effects on Reduction of Macrophage Activity) Study. Evaluation using ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in carotid diseaseTjun Y Tang
University Department of Radiology, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:2039-50. 2009..The hypothesis was that treatment with 80 mg atorvastatin would demonstrate quantifiable changes in USPIO-enhanced MRI-defined inflammation within the first 3 months of therapy...
- Utility of high resolution MR imaging to assess carotid plaque morphology: a comparison of acute symptomatic, recently symptomatic and asymptomatic patients with carotid artery diseaseUmar Sadat
University Department of Radiology, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
Atherosclerosis 207:434-9. 2009....
- Numerical simulation of blood pulsatile flow in a stenosed carotid artery using different rheological modelsA Razavi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan 8415683111, Iran
J Biomech 44:2021-30. 2011..Increasing stenosis intensity causes flow patterns more disturbed downstream of the stenosis and WSS appear to develop remarkably at the stenosis throat...
- Complex neurodegeneration in retina following moderate ischemia induced by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in Wistar ratsHideo Yamamoto
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Ophthalmic Biophysics Center, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016880, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:767-79. 2006..In conclusion, chronic BCCAO produced delayed neuronal death in the retina of adult male Wistar rats. The window of moderate changes of at least 1 day may facilitate molecular studies on retinal ganglion cell loss...
- Severity of asymptomatic carotid stenosis and risk of ipsilateral hemispheric ischaemic events: results from the ACSRS studyA N Nicolaides
Department of Vascular Surgery, Imperial College, London, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:275-84. 2005This study determines the risk of ipsilateral ischaemic neurological events in relation to the degree of asymptomatic carotid stenosis and other risk factors.
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound imaging of intraplaque neovascularization in carotid arteries: correlation with histology and plaque echogenicityStefano Coli
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Diseases, University Vita Salute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:223-30. 2008..This study was designed to evaluate contrast-enhanced ultrasound imaging of carotid atherosclerosis as a clinical tool to study intraplaque neovascularization...
- In vivo 3D high-spatial-resolution MR imaging of intraplaque hemorrhageRichard Bitar
Department of Medical Imaging, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Radiology 249:259-67. 2008....
- Critical appraisal of the Carotid Duplex Consensus criteria in the diagnosis of carotid artery stenosisAli F Aburahma
Department of Surgery, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, Charleston, WV, USA
J Vasc Surg 53:53-9; discussion 59-60. 2011..Clinicians have relied on published institutional experience for interpreting carotid duplex ultrasound studies (CDUS). This study will validate the ultrasound imaging consensus criteria published in 2003...
- New ischaemic brain lesions on MRI after stenting or endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a substudy of the International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS)Leo H Bonati
Department of Neurology and Stroke Unit, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Lancet Neurol 9:353-62. 2010The International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS) of stenting and endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis found a higher incidence of stroke within 30 days of stenting compared with endarterectomy...
- Non-uniform shrinkage for obtaining computational start shape for in-vivo MRI-based plaque vulnerability assessmentYuan Huang
University Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
J Biomech 44:2316-9. 2011..However, in order to make accurate predictions, the computational model must be based on the loading-free geometry. A shrinkage procedure can be used to obtain the computational start shape...
- Role of conventional angiography in evaluation of patients with carotid artery stenosis demonstrated by Doppler ultrasound in general practiceA I Qureshi
Department of Neurosurgery and Toshiba Stroke Research Center, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, Buffalo, USA
Stroke 32:2287-91. 2001Previous studies have suggested that patients with carotid stenosis who are candidates for endarterectomy can be effectively identified on the basis of carotid Doppler ultrasound alone...
- High-intensity signal on time-of-flight magnetic resonance angiography indicates carotid plaques at high risk for cerebral embolism during stentingShinichi Yoshimura
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu University, Yanagido, Gifu City, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Stroke 42:3132-7. 2011..The present study examined whether high-intensity signal (HIS) in the plaque on time-of-flight (TOF) MRA, performed for screening, can discriminate plaque at high risk for cerebral embolism during CAS...
- Carotid stenting improves cognitive function in asymptomatic cerebral ischemiaYing Hsien Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Cardiol 157:104-7. 2012..Asymptomatic critical internal carotid artery (ICA) stenosis may lead to cognitive impairment. Carotid stenting (CS) may improve cerebral perfusion, but its impact on neuro-cognitive function has been controversial...
- Cerebral hemodynamics and cognitive performance in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosisM Silvestrini
Department of Neuroscience, Marche Polytechnic University, Via Conca 1, 60020 Ancona, Italy
Neurology 72:1062-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate whether the presence of severe internal carotid artery stenosis may be associated with different cognitive performance in relation to the side of the stenosis and its hemodynamic consequences...
- Clinical considerations in the management of asymptomatic carotid artery stenosisPhilipp Taussky
Department of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Neurosurg Focus 31:E7. 2011..The following review summarizes current knowledge of the natural history, diagnosis, and treatment strategies to counsel patients with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis...
- Carotid plaque neovascularization and hemorrhage detected by MR imaging are associated with recent cerebrovascular ischemic eventsY Qiao
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33:755-60. 2012..Our aim was to determine the associations of these features in carotid plaques with previous cerebrovascular ischemic events by using high-resolution CE-MRI...
- Carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: a comprehensive meta-analysis of short-term and long-term outcomesKonstantinos P Economopoulos
School of Medicine, University of Athens, 5 Menalou, Maroussi, Athens, Greece
Stroke 42:687-92. 2011..The comparison between carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting (CAS) remains a debated field, especially in the context of long-term outcomes...
- Quantitative segmentation of principal carotid atherosclerotic lesion components by feature space analysis based on multicontrast MRI at 1.5 TChristof Karmonik
Department of Radiology, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:352-60. 2009..Combination of mc-MRI and FSA may have an application for determining atherosclerotic lesion composition and monitoring treatment in vivo...
- Prevalence of complicated carotid atheroma as detected by magnetic resonance direct thrombus imaging in patients with suspected carotid artery stenosis and previous acute cerebral ischemiaRachael E Murphy
Department of Academic Radiology, University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Circulation 107:3053-8. 2003....
- Carotid plaque compared with intima-media thickness as a predictor of coronary and cerebrovascular diseaseStein Harald Johnsen
Department of Neurology, University Hospital North Norway, N 9038 Breivika, Tromsø, Norway
Curr Cardiol Rep 11:21-7. 2009..Echolucent plaque morphology (ie, lipid-rich plaques) seems to increase the risk for MI and stroke. New evidence suggests that total plaque area is the most strongly predictive of cardiovascular risk of the ultrasound phenotypes...
- Impact of plaque haemorrhage and its age on structural stresses in atherosclerotic plaques of patients with carotid artery disease: an MR imaging-based finite element simulation studyUmar Sadat
University Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Box 218, Level 5, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 27:397-402. 2011..Plaque component-dependent stress analysis has the potential of identifying the critical nature of various plaque components...
- Erythrocyte aggregation as an early biomarker in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosisEinor Ben Assayag
Department of Neurology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Dis Markers 24:33-9. 2008..Atherosclerosis is a chronic inflammatory disease...
- Relief of carotid stenosis improves impaired cognition in a rat model of chronic cerebral hypoperfusionWei Duan
Department of Neurology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 71:233-43. 2011To investigate how cognitive impairment is affected by the relief of bilateral carotid stenosis, chronic cerebral hypoperfusion was established through stenosis of the bilateral carotid common artery in adult Sprague-Dawley rats...
- Cognitive functions of carotid artery stenosis in the aged ratZ Zhou
Department of Neurology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Shapingba, Chongqing 400038, PR China
Neuroscience 219:137-44. 2012..But the mechanisms of cognitive impairments occurring in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis are poorly understood. One important reason is the absence of a good carotid stenosis model...
- High signal intensity halo around the carotid artery on maximum intensity projection images of time-of-flight MR angiography: a new sign for intraplaque hemorrhageYoo Jeong Yim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Magn Reson Imaging 27:1341-6. 2008..To evaluate the value of the high signal intensity halo sign as a new marker of a fresh or recent intraplaque hemorrhage on the maximum intensity projection (MIP) images of time-of-flight (TOF) MR angiography...
- Carotid stenosis degree in CT angiography: assessment based on luminal area versus luminal diameter measurementsZishu Zhang
Department of Clinical Radiology, Kuopio University Hospital, Puijonlaaksontie 2, 70210, Kuopio, Finland
Eur Radiol 15:2359-65. 2005..Area stenosis provides a less-severe estimate of the degree of carotid stenosis but might theoretically express the real hemodynamic significance of the lesion better than diameter stenosis,..
- Prediction and prevention of stroke in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis: the high-risk period and the high-risk patientP M Rothwell
University Department of Clinical Neurology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:255-63. 2008..have shown that surgery reduces the risk of stroke in patients with > or =50% recently symptomatic carotid stenosis, but more recent research has shown that the effectiveness of surgery is highly dependent on timing and on ..
- Clinical and angiographic risk factors for stroke and death within 30 days after carotid endarterectomy and stent-protected angioplasty: a subanalysis of the SPACE studyRobert Stingele
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Lancet Neurol 7:216-22. 2008..Better knowledge of risk factors could improve assignment of patients to these procedures and reduce overall risk. We aimed to assess the risk of stroke or death associated with CEA and CAS in patients with different risk factors...
- Vasodilatory capacity of the cerebral vasculature in patients with carotid artery stenosisR P H Bokkers
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:1030-3. 2011..The aim of our study was to investigate the vasodilatory capacity of the proximal and distal cerebral vasculature in patients with an ICA stenosis and healthy control subjects by combining MRA with an acetazolamide provocation challenge...
- Medical and surgical management of symptomatic carotid stenosisPeter M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Int J Stroke 1:140-9. 2006..have shown that surgery reduces the risk of stroke in patients with > or = 50% recently symptomatic carotid stenosis, and more recent research has gone some way to wards identifying which patients benefit the most...
- Clinical validation of an automated vessel-segmentation software of the extracranial-carotid arteries based on 3D-MRA: a prospective studyR Guzman
Department of Neurosurgery, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Neuroradiol 35:278-85. 2008..To determine the accuracy of automated vessel-segmentation software for vessel-diameter measurements based on three-dimensional contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance angiography (3D-MRA)...
- Contrast ultrasound imaging of the carotid artery vasa vasorum and atherosclerotic plaque neovascularizationSteven B Feinstein
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:236-43. 2006..With continued clinical investigation, CU imaging of the carotid artery may afford an effective means to non-invasively identify atherosclerosis in "at-risk" populations while providing new standard for therapeutic monitoring...
- Geometric and compositional appearance of atheroma in an angiographically normal carotid artery in patients with atherosclerosisL Dong
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:311-6. 2010..Arterial remodeling may enable atherosclerotic disease without luminal stenosis. We sought to assess the prevalence and characteristics of atherosclerosis in angiographically normal carotid arteries...
- How critical is fibrous cap thickness to carotid plaque stability? A flow-plaque interaction modelZhi Yong Li
Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Stroke 37:1195-9. 2006..We used a flow-structure interaction model to simulate the interaction between blood flow and atheromatous plaque to evaluate the effect of the degree of luminal stenosis and fibrous cap thickness on plaque vulnerability...
- Early carotid endarterectomy after intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischaemic strokeM A Bartoli
Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Universite de la Mediterranee, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, Service de Chirurgie Vasculaire, 13005 Marseille, France
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 37:512-8. 2009..However, it is not well known whether CEA can be performed safely after thrombolysis, and, if so, when. We report a prospective study of CEA for residual high-grade cervical ICA stenosis performed within 15 days after IVT for AIS...
- Is lowering blood pressure hazardous in patients with significant ipsilateral carotid stenosis and acute ischaemic stroke? Interim assessment in the 'Efficacy of Nitric Oxide in Stroke' trialGillian M Sare
Stroke Trials Unit, Institute of Neuroscience, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Blood Press Monit 14:20-5. 2009..Particular uncertainty exists in patients with carotid stenosis in whom lowering BP might reduce cerebral perfusion and worsen outcome.
- Embolic complications after carotid artery stenting or carotid endarterectomy are associated with tissue characteristics of carotid plaques evaluated by magnetic resonance imagingKiyofumi Yamada
Department of Neurosurgery, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Atherosclerosis 215:399-404. 2011..The aim of this study was to elucidate the relationship between the tissue components of carotid plaques and the incidence of new ipsilateral silent ischemic lesions (NISIL) after CAS or CEA...
- CEREBROVASCULAR RESERVE BY XE/CT VERSUS TCD AND OXIMETRYRonda Pindzola; Fiscal Year: 2003..Yonas and Nemoto on studies involving patients with SAH or carotid stenosis/occlusion...
- Iron and AtherosclerosisSubha V Raman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research tests the theory that monthly loss of iron through menses is protective against atherosclerosis, which could lead to an entirely new approach to preventing and treating heart and vascular disease in both men and women. ..
- APOPTOSIS OF SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLS IN CAROTID PLAQUESDevendra K Agrawal; Fiscal Year: 2013..leading to increased inflammation and apoptosis of VSMCs in carotid plaques of symptomatic patients with carotid stenosis, and that atheroma-associated cytokines modulate NPY receptors and their function in VSMCs of carotid plaques...
- NOVEL FACTORS FOR UNEXPLAINED PHENOTYPES OF SUBCLINICAL CAROTID ATHEROSCLEROSISTatjana Rundek; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Comparative Effectiveness of Treatment Options for Asymptomatic Carotid DiseaseSteven D Pizer; Fiscal Year: 2013..FY2009 performed by our study team revealed approximately 10,000 unique VA patients with diagnosis codes for carotid stenosis and 2,500 with procedure codes for CEA...
- Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis: Cognitive Function and Plaque CorrelatesBrajesh K Lal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cognitive impairment is a more insidious but poorly understood outcome in patients with "asymptomatic" carotid stenosis who have not suffered a stroke...
- The Role of Monocytes in SLE-related Accelerated AtherosclerosisBrian J Skaggs; Fiscal Year: 2013..UCLA is an ideal place for the principal investigator to transition into an independent academic career. ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION OF SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar R Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2012..enroll 3000 participants (20% of whom will be Hispanic Americans) with symptomatic, MRI-defined S3 without carotid stenosis or major cardio-embolic sources. Patients are assigned, in a factorial design, to two interventions: 1...
- Mechanism of Cognitive Dysfunction: CEA and StentingERIC JOHN HEYER; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Leveraging Health IT to Avoid Unnecessary Asymptomatic Carotid RevascularizationPhilip P Goodney; Fiscal Year: 2013..When considering revascularization for asymptomatic carotid stenosis, patients and providers must weigh the up-front risk of surgery against the long-term risk of stroke, taken ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Carotid Artery Revascularization vs Medical TherapySalomeh Keyhani; Fiscal Year: 2013..CEA) is superior to medical therapy in preventing stroke in both asymptomatic and symptomatic patients with carotid stenosis. However, while the majority of patients who undergo carotid revascularization receive treatment for ..
- PET/MRI of atherosclerosisChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The goal of this proposal is to develop a quantitative, reliable, and comprehensive combined MRI PET approach for characterizing carotid artery plaque and inflammation. ..
- VISUAL FUNCTION IN RETINAL ISCHEMIAMary Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1992..characterized, both for its own predictive value and for what it may teach us about the effects of incipient carotid stenosis on retinal function...
- Cholesterol Homeostasis in Framingham Offspring StudyAlice Lichtenstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..in plasma samples from Framingham Offspring Study participants diagnosed with established CVD and/or >50% carotid stenosis (N=165) not taking lipid-lowering medication and control subjects matched for age, sex, body mass index, ..
- Point-of-Care Carotid Ultrasound and Cardiovascular Risk Assessment DeviceWilliam F Weitzel; Fiscal Year: 2013..system hardware architecture to: 1) extend data acquisition into 3D meeting the point-of-care needs for carotid stenosis assessment, 2) develop server side system algorithms for improved operator independent measurements of ..
- Carotid Intraplaque Hemorrhage: MRI of Therapeutic Response and Clinical SequelaeChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since IPH has been recognized at all levels of carotid stenosis, the identification of benefits, if any, from medical therapy is a critical gap in the current knowledge of ..
- Blood Flow and Cognition in Asymptomatic Carotid Artery DiseaseRandolph S Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2013..compelling public-health impact, however, with 124,000 individuals over age 60 currently harboring high-grade carotid stenosis in the US alone...
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting in the elderlyBrahmajee Nallamothu; Fiscal Year: 2009..We anticipate that findings from this study will add new knowledge to both these areas and help inform policy-makers, payers, providers and patients struggling to determine the optimal role of CAS in preventing stroke and death. ..
- SPECIMEN BASED ACCURACY OF CAROTID STENOSIS EVALUATIONDavid Saloner; Fiscal Year: 1999..Improvements in the predictive value of diagnostic imaging will result in significant savings to the health care system by reducing unnecessary procedures, and by more appropriately selecting patients for surgery. ..
- EFFECTS OF TF/FVIIa INHIBITION IN CRP TRANSGENIC MICEChristopher Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, these models will help determine the in vivo anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic properties of BCX-3607, a potential agent for the treatment of acute coronary syndromes. ..
- CORONARY ARTERY BYPASS ENDARTERECTOMY STAGING TRIALJohn Ricotta; Fiscal Year: 2002..Conversely, a number of patients who present for surgical treatment of carotid stenosis, if screened, will have significant coronary artery disease...
- CEREBROVASCULAR TIME RESOLVED CONTRAST ENHANCED 3D MRAPatrick Turski; Fiscal Year: 1999..4) Optimization of the dose of intravenous contrast material and the injection rate. (5) Implementation of these innovation for a blinded assessment of carotid stenosis measurement.
- Structure-Function Assessment of Carotid Disease by MRFelix Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2004..for measuring perfusion in a single vascular distribution to unambiguously assess the implications of carotid stenosis on blood flow to the affected hemisphere. 3...
- Assessing Microstructure of Carotid Disease with MRI/MRSRonald Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2006..will be initiated wherein symptomatic and asymptomatic patients (N = 50 each) with clinically significant carotid stenosis (>70%) who will subsequently undergo carotid endarterectomy (CEA) will be recruited...
- Characterization of Carotid Artery FlowTAMARA FITZGERALD; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Carotid angioplasty is a rapidly evolving endovascular treatment for carotid stenosis, and advocates predict that is will replace surgical endarterectomy...
- RECURRENT CAROTID STENOSISEUGENE BERNSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- HOMOCYSTEINE AND PROGRESSION OF ATHEROSCLEROSISLloyd Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Flow responses to carotid angioplastyAlan Dardik; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carotid angioplasty (CA) is a rapidly evolving endovascular treatment for carotid stenosis, preventing stroke...
- TRIAL OF LOVASTATIN AND ASPIRIN IN ATHEROSCLEROSISCurt Furberg; Fiscal Year: 1992..the progression of atherosclerotic plaques in the carotid arteries of high risk individuals with asymptomatic carotid stenosis. Men and women free of clinically evident coronary and cerebrovascualr disease who are 50 years of age or ..
- Quantitative Vascular Image Analysis systemWilliam Kerwin; Fiscal Year: 2009..characterization methods of QVAS to generate a comprehensive risk score indicating whether a patient with carotid stenosis would benefit from surgical intervention such as carotid endarterectomy (CEA) or stenting...
- Study of Carotid Occlusion and Neurocognition (RECON)RANDOLPH MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..We and others have further demonstrated cognitive improvement in case series studies of patients with carotid stenosis or occlusion treated with endarterectomy or extracranial-intracranial (EC-IC) bypass...
- APPARATUS FOR CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW MEASUREMENTS AT 3TLawrence Wald; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, they will study these parameters in patients with moderate (50-70%) unilateral carotid stenosis. This will allow them to determine the percentage of blood flow to a given cortical voxel from each of the ..
- MECHANISMS OF FIBROUS CAP ATROPHYMichael Reidy; Fiscal Year: 2001..These collaborative studies should provide novel insights into the basic mechanisms underlying fibrous cap atrophy and disruption. ..
- Two Coil Arterial Spin Labeling Cerebral Perfusion MRIPatrick Ledden; Fiscal Year: 2001..We plan to make the two coil arterial spin labeling system available for the first time, to the over 200 neuroimaging research sites. We plan to pursue a clinical product based on the success of the "investigational use only" device. ..
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Vulnerable PlaqueThomas Hatsukami; Fiscal Year: 2006..To achieve these goals, we will serially examine a cohort of subjects with moderate carotid stenosis to identify changes in the MRI appearance of the artery as it evolves from a clinically silent, stable plaque ..
- 3-D ULTRASOUND VASCULAR BLOOD FLOW MAPPING AND TRACKINGKenneth Abend; Fiscal Year: 2000..track and lock onto selected vessels for spectral analysis and unattended monitoring, Applications include carotid stenosis, vascular graft evaluation for cardiac transplant, DVT, and hemodialysis...
- Development of Arterial Spin Labeling for Clinical ApplicationsEric Wong; Fiscal Year: 2009..VSI is a new technique with a broad range of potential clinical applications including the evaluation of carotid stenosis, risk assessment for stroke, and the identification of tumor blood supplies...
- fMRI BOLD contrast relationship to cerebrovascular toneTodd Parrish; Fiscal Year: 2006..When a subject has compromised vasculature and impaired vasoreactivity from a carotid stenosis or occlusion, we have demonstrated that the BOLD signal response is absent or severely altered beyond normal ..
- TISSUE ENGINEERING OF BLOOD VESSEL SUBSTITUTESJoseph Vacanti; Fiscal Year: 2002..arteries constitute the lion's share of this, with diverse pathology ranging from coronary artery disease to carotid stenosis. The most widely applied surgical intervention for affected vascular structures is openly-performed "bypass" ..
- MRI IDENTIFICATION OF FIBROUS CAP ATROPHY AND RUPTUREThomas Hatsukami; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will also determine whether ischemic neurological events or plaque rupture assessed by histological evaluation of excised plaques correlates with fibrous cap thinning. ..
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells: Clinical Correlates and Prognosis in the CommunityThomas Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..of EPC characteristics with subclinical measures of vascular structure (carotid intima-media thickness [IMT], carotid stenosis) and function (peripheral arterial tonometry, brachial flow-mediated dilation, vascular tonometry);and (3) To ..
- CEREBROVASCULAR RESEARCH CENTERJames Toole; Fiscal Year: 1990..unnoticed deficit arising from subtle compromise of CNS function in patients with TIA's and with asymptomatic carotid stenosis. 2. Studies of Vessel Disease...
- THE EFFECT OF HMG COA REDUCTASE INHIBITORS ON CBFCOLIN DERDEYN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Positive results from these experiments would support further investigation of a potentially important mechanism of stroke protection applicable to all patients with atherosclerotic coronary and cerebrovascular disease. ..
- The Role of Cerebral Hemodynamics in Moya Moya DiseaseCOLIN PIETER DERDEYN; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will perform a post-hoc longitudinal analysis of the effect of different medical treatment regimens. Patients will return annually for follow up PET studies. ..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN CEREBROVASCULAR RESEARCHLarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Advanced NeuroImaging for Acute Stroke TreatmentMax Wintermark; Fiscal Year: 2007..Invited junior scientists, for whom funding is requested, were selected based on merit. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AMPHETAMINE ENHANCED STROKE RECOVERY--BURKE SRCI GROUPLarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..However the treatment duration will be increased to a total of 10 sessions. ..
- Homocysteine/Hypertension & Vascular Lesion FormationPeter Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Determinants of Subclinical Carotid DiseaseTatjana Rundek; Fiscal Year: 2008..3. To explore a newly developed statistical method to evaluate the overall genetic effects from all candidate genes to obtain "whole-pathway" effects. ..
- FOOD FOLATE FORTIFICATION EFFECT ON FOLATE STATUSJacob Selhub; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION IN SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN DIABETICSJoshua Beckman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Transcription Factors & Inflammatory Mediators in StrokeRaghu Vemuganti; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal is to define the role of SOCS-3/STAT-3 in post-ischemic cerebral inflammation. ..
- Measurement of folate in fortified cereal grain productsJacob Selhub; Fiscal Year: 2003..In order to assess the impact of folic acid fortification, it is necessary to have valid data on the actual synthetic folic acid content of fortified foods. ..
- Progression of sub-clinical AtherosclerosisJoseph Polak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This complements ongoing research on the progression of sub-clinical cardiovascular disease and its associations with family history of premature cardiovascular events and genomic markers. ..
- Measuring the Efficacy of Endovascular Treatment of AAAPeter Faries; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Carotid Intima-Medial Thickness (IMT) in AtherosclerosisJoseph Polak; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Egr-1 in post-stroke inflammation & brain damageRaghu Vemuganti; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate goal is to define the role of EgM and its regulators to develop therapies to control cerebral inflammation at the level of transcription. ..
- In Vivo Assessment of AAA Biomechanics with Dynamic Wall PropertiesENDER FINOL; Fiscal Year: 2008..This methodology is expected to greatly enhance the presurgical planning capabilities of vascular surgeries and endovascular therapies in the future management of cardiovascular diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vitamin B12 and Folate in Relation to Cognition in the Framingham Offspring StudyJacob Selhub; Fiscal Year: 2010..5 About 3-5 percent of seniors have low circulating vitamin B12 levels;6 however, about 20 percent of seniors are found to be deficient when those with elevated methylmalonic acid levels are included. ..