Genomes and Genes
thoracic aortic aneurysm
Summary: An aneurysm in the proximal portion of the descending aorta proceeding from the arch of the aorta and giving rise to the bronchial, esophageal, pericardiac, and mediastinal branches.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysmsEric M Isselbacher
Thoracic Aortic Center and Cardiology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, YAW 5A 5800, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Circulation 111:816-28. 2005
- Mutations in myosin heavy chain 11 cause a syndrome associating thoracic aortic aneurysm/aortic dissection and patent ductus arteriosusLimin Zhu
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Département de génétique, 75015 Paris, France
Nat Genet 38:343-9. 2006We have recently described two kindreds presenting thoracic aortic aneurysm and/or aortic dissection (TAAD) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and mapped the disease locus to 16p12.2-p13.13 (ref. 3)...
- Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of thoracic aortic aneurysm: protective role of statin and angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockerJunya Ejiri
Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 2 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 59:988-96. 2003..We investigated the potential role of p22phox-based NADH/NADPH oxidase in the pathogenesis of TAA...
- Long-term doxycycline is more effective than atenolol to prevent thoracic aortic aneurysm in marfan syndrome through the inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9Ada W Y Chung
Child and Family Research Institute, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Circ Res 102:e73-85. 2008Beta-blockers, eg, atenolol, are the cornerstone therapy for thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) in patients with Marfan syndrome; however, continued aortic dilatation has been reported...
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm clinically pertinent controversies and uncertaintiesJohn A Elefteriades
Cardiac Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, Boardman 2, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 55:841-57. 2010This paper addresses clinical controversies and uncertainties regarding thoracic aortic aneurysm and its treatment...
- Endovascular treatment of thoracic aortic diseases: combined experience from the EUROSTAR and United Kingdom Thoracic Endograft registriesLina J Leurs
EUROSTAR and UK Thoracic Aortic Data Registry, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 40:670-9; discussion 679-80. 2004..treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections collated in the European Collaborators on Stent Graft Techniques for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection Repair (EUROSTAR) and the United Kingdom Thoracic Endograft registries.
- Mutations in transforming growth factor-beta receptor type II cause familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissectionsHariyadarshi Pannu
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Molecular Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Circulation 112:513-20. 2005..Having mapped a TAAD locus to 3p24-25, we sequenced the gene for transforming growth factor-beta receptor type II (TGFBR2) to determine whether mutations in this gene resulted in familial TAAD...
- Abnormal extracellular matrix protein transport associated with increased apoptosis of vascular smooth muscle cells in marfan syndrome and bicuspid aortic valve thoracic aortic aneurysmMaria Nataatmadja
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Circulation 108:II329-34. 2003..The role of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 in VSMC apoptosis was studied in MS aneurysm...
- Anesthetic consideration for descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repairRonald A Kahn
Department of Anesthesiology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6547, USA
Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 11:205-23. 2007..In this review, etiologies, natural history, and surgical techniques of thoracic aortic aneurysm are presented...
- Alterations in aortic cellular constituents during thoracic aortic aneurysm development: myofibroblast-mediated vascular remodelingJeffrey A Jones
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery Research, Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Strom Thurmond Research Building, 114 Doughty Street, Suite 625, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Pathol 175:1746-56. 2009..endogenous cellular population accompany alterations in aortic collagen and elastin content during thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) development in a murine model...
- Aberrant subclavian artery and Kommerell aneurysm: surgical treatment with a standard approachNicholas T Kouchoukos
Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Missouri Baptist Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:888-92. 2007..We report our experience with a standard surgical technique for treatment of aneurysms associated with Kommerell diverticulum and aberrant subclavian artery...
- Endovascular stent-graft placement for the treatment of acute aortic dissectionM D Dake
Division of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Calif, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1546-52. 1999..Irrespective of the form of treatment, the associated mortality and morbidity are considerable...
- Effect of aneurysm on the tensile strength and biomechanical behavior of the ascending thoracic aortaDavid A Vorp
Department of Surgery and Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1210-4. 2003Rupture of an ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm (ATAA), which is associated with significant mortality, occurs when the mechanical forces acting on the aneurysm exceed the strength of the degenerated aortic wall...
- Acute aortic syndromes and thoracic aortic aneurysmVijay S Ramanath
Section of Cardiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 84:465-81. 2009..were conducted using the following keywords: aortic dissection, intramural hematoma, aortic ulcer, and thoracic aortic aneurysm. Retrospective and prospective studies performed within the past 20 years were included in the review; ..
- Characterization of the inflammatory and apoptotic cells in the aortas of patients with ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissectionsRumin He
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:671-8. 2006..This study sought to determine whether inflammatory cells are present in medial degeneration and assess any possible contribution of these cells to apoptosis of smooth muscle cells...
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection: increasing prevalence and improved outcomes reported in a nationwide population-based study of more than 14,000 cases from 1987 to 2002Christian Olsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Circulation 114:2611-8. 2006..The objective of the present study was to reappraise epidemiology and long-term outcomes in subjects with thoracic aortic disease in a large contemporary population...
- Transforming growth factor-beta signaling in thoracic aortic aneurysm development: a paradox in pathogenesisJeffrey A Jones
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery Research, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, S C 29425, USA
J Vasc Res 46:119-37. 2009....
- Increased tissue microarray matrix metalloproteinase expression favors proteolysis in thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissectionsGeorge J Koullias
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:2106-10; discussion 2110-1. 2004..We applied tissue microarray analysis to determine MMP profiles in a large group of surgically resected thoracic aneurysms and dissections...
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections--incidence, modes of inheritance, and phenotypic patternsGonzalo Albornoz
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1400-5. 2006..We examined the genetic nature and phenotypic features of thoracic aortic aneurysms (TAAs) and dissections in a large cohort of patients...
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections: genetic heterogeneity with a major locus mapping to 5q13-14D Guo
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Circulation 103:2461-8. 2001..Families identified with dominant inheritance of thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections (TAA/dissections) indicate that single gene mutations can cause medial necrosis in the absence of an associated syndrome...
- Early surgical experience with Loeys-Dietz: a new syndrome of aggressive thoracic aortic aneurysm diseaseJason A Williams
Division of Cardiac Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:S757-63; discussion S785-90. 2007..Our surgical experience with LDS was reviewed to assess outcomes and develop guidelines for management of this aggressive disease...
- Aortoesophageal fistula secondary to stent-graft repair of the thoracic aortaHolger Eggebrecht
Department of Cardiology, West German Heart Center, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
J Endovasc Ther 11:161-7. 2004..To report the incidence and management of aortoesophageal fistula (AEF) secondary to endovascular stent-graft repair of the descending thoracic aorta...
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm: reading the enemy's playbookJohn A Elefteriades
Curr Probl Cardiol 33:203-77. 2008..database of the Yale Center for Thoracic Aortic Disease--which includes information on 3000 patients with thoracic aortic aneurysm or dissection, with 9000 catalogued images and 9000 patient-years of follow-up--has, over the last decade,..
- Branched endovascular repair of aortic arch aneurysm with a modular stent-graft systemDarren B Schneider
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:855. 2003
- Airway obstruction secondary to thoracic aortic aneurysm leak. A case reportOmar Sabra
Medical Center, American University of Beirut, Beirut PO Box 11 0236, 11072020 Riad El Solh Beirut, Lebanon
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:1144-6. 2006..We believe that our case is the second case of retropharyngeal hematoma caused by a leaking aortic aneurysm. A case discussion and management is presented in this article...
- Role and results of surgery in acute type B aortic dissection: insights from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection (IRAD)Santi Trimarchi
Cardiovascular Center E Malan, Policlinico San Donato, Via Morandi 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Italy
Circulation 114:I357-64. 2006....
- Assessment of genetic risk factors for thoracic aortic aneurysm in hypertensive patientsKimihiko Kato
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Gifu Prefectural Government TAJIMI Hospital, Tajimi, Japan
Am J Hypertens 21:1023-7. 2008Conventional risk factors for thoracic aortic aneurysm including dissection (TAA) are thought to include age, arteriosclerosis, and hypertension...
- Role of aggregated medin in the pathogenesis of thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissectionSiwei Peng
Department of Genetics and Pathology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Lab Invest 87:1195-205. 2007The pathogenesis of sporadic thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection, which may lead to rupture of the aorta, remains largely unknown. Amyloid deposits, formed from the medin peptide, are very prevalent in the media of the thoracic aorta...
- Delayed response of transcranial myogenic motor-evoked potential monitoring to spinal cord ischemia during repair surgery for descending thoracic aortic aneurysmManabu Kakinohana
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, 207 Uehara, Nishihara, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
J Anesth 22:304-7. 2008..We must be aware that tc-MEPs recorded from the lower extremities can fail to provide rapid detection of spinal cord ischemia in the upper thoracic level after cross-clamping of the descending thoracic aorta...
- Vocal cord paralysis after surgery for thoracic aortic aneurysmShin Ichi Ishimoto
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo
Chest 121:1911-5. 2002To determine the incidence, etiology, prognosis, and treatment of vocal cord paralysis (VCP) after surgery for thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA).
- Superior nationwide outcomes of endovascular versus open repair for isolated descending thoracic aortic aneurysm in 11,669 patientsRaja R Gopaldas
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 140:1001-10. 2010..Little is known about TEVAR's nationwide effect on patient outcomes. We evaluated nationwide data regarding the short-term outcomes of TEVAR and open aortic repair (OAR) procedures performed in the United States during a 2-year period...
- Endovascular treatment of thoracic aortic disease: four years of experienceAlessandro S Bortone
Dipartimento Emergenza e Trapianti d Organo, Sezione di Cardiochirurgia, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11 70124 Bari, Italy
Circulation 110:II262-7. 2004..The aim of this retrospective study is to investigate efficacy and middle-term results of the stent graft treatment for diseases of descending thoracic aorta...
- Transmural inflammation by interferon-gamma-producing T cells correlates with outward vascular remodeling and intimal expansion of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysmsPaul C Y Tang
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
FASEB J 19:1528-30. 2005..Th1, but not Th2, immune responses have a positive correlation with both outward vascular remodeling and intimal expansion of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms...
- Evaluation of recurrent nerve paralysis due to thoracic aortic aneurysm and aneurysm repairKosuke Ishii
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Omiya Medical Center, Jichi Medical School, 1 847 Amanuma cho, Saitama shi, Saitama 330 8503, Japan
Laryngoscope 114:2176-81. 2004We sought to clarify the relationship between the outcome of recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis with the characteristics of the thoracic aortic aneurysm and the surgical procedure used in each patient.
- Endoleaks following endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysm: etiology and outcomesJose P Morales
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Endovasc Ther 15:631-8. 2008To evaluate the incidence and natural history of endoleaks following thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR) of thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA).
- Mutation of ACTA2 gene as an important cause of familial and nonfamilial nonsyndromatic thoracic aortic aneurysm and/or dissection (TAAD)Hiroko Morisaki
Department of Bioscience, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Osaka, Japan
Hum Mutat 30:1406-11. 2009..These findings confirm that ACTA2 mutations are important in familial TAAD, while the first sporadic and young-onset TAAD case with an ACTA2 mutation was also identified...
- Unusual presentation of ruptured descending thoracic aortic aneurysmPasquale Totaro
Cardiac Surgery Division, Morriston Hospital, Swansea, UK
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 8:291-2. 2007We here report a very unusual presentation of ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm. In a 50-year-old patient, almost asymptomatic and in stable clinical conditions, the chest radiograph and computed tomography scan revealed a right-sided ..
- Elevation of ADAM10, ADAM17, MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression with media degeneration features CaCl2-induced thoracic aortic aneurysm in a rat modelLiang Geng
Department of Cardiology, Rui Jin Hospital, Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, People s Republic of China
Exp Mol Pathol 89:72-81. 2010This study was designed to establish a rat model of thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) by calcium chloride (CaCl(2))-induced arterial injury and to explore the potential role of a disintegrin and metalloproteinase (ADAM), matrix ..
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm: reading the enemy's playbookJohn A Elefteriades
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Yale J Biol Med 81:175-86. 2008..we have been using our clinical experience and laboratory investigations to shed light on the pathophysiology of thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA), the clinical behavior of thoracic aortic aneurysm, and the optimal clinical management.
- Midterm results of endovascular repair of descending thoracic aortic aneurysms with first-generation stent graftsPhilippe Demers
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5247, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:664-73. 2004..Five years after reporting our initial stent-graft repair of descending thoracic aortic aneurysms experience, we determined the 5- to 10-year results of stent-graft treatment and identified risk factors for adverse late outcomes...
- Acute dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm in a patient with polymyalgia rheumaticaTomohiro Koga
Department of General Internal Medicine, NHO National Nagasaki Medical Center, Nagasaki, Japan
Am J Med Sci 334:386-8. 2007....
- Proteinase systems and thoracic aortic aneurysm progressionJohn R Barbour
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Surg Res 139:292-307. 2007....
- Endovascular repair of a right-sided descending thoracic aortic aneurysm with a right-sided aortic arch and aberrant left subclavian arteryJoseph J Naoum
the Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, and Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1074-6. 2008..We also review the literature associated with this particular anatomic presentation...
- Spatiotemporal expression and localization of matrix metalloproteinas-9 in a murine model of thoracic aortic aneurysmJeffrey A Jones
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:1314-21. 2006..The goal of this study was to determine the spatiotemporal changes in MMP-9 expression and abundance in the early stages of aortic dilatation during the course of thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) formation in a mouse model.
- Sudden death caused by dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm in a patient with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseChien Chang Lee
Department of Emergency Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Resuscitation 63:93-6. 2004..However, there are few reports on the dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm as a fatal complication of ADPKD...
- Immediate versus delayed endovascular treatment of post-traumatic aortic pseudoaneurysms and type B dissections: retrospective analysis and premises to the upcoming European trialAlessandro S Bortone
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Emergency and Transplantation, University of Bari School of Medicine, Bari, Italy
Circulation 106:I234-40. 2002....
- Is aortic dilatation an atherosclerosis-related process? Clinical, laboratory, and transesophageal echocardiographic correlates of thoracic aortic dimensions in the population with implications for thoracic aortic aneurysm formationYoram Agmon
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:1076-83. 2003..The study determined, in a population-based setting, whether dilatation of the thoracic aorta is an atherosclerosis-related process...
- Primary aortoesophageal fistula due to thoracic aortic aneurysm: successful surgical treatmentChristos Prokakis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Patras, 26500 Patras, Greece
Tex Heart Inst J 36:607-10. 2009..and severe septicemia consequent to esophageal erosion and rupture of a chronic degenerative descending thoracic aortic aneurysm. The patient underwent successful surgical treatment by aorto-aortic bypass and bipolar esophageal ..
- Altered transforming growth factor-beta signaling in a murine model of thoracic aortic aneurysmJeffrey A Jones
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery Research, Medical University of South Carolina, Ralph H Johnson Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Vasc Res 45:457-68. 2008..Accordingly, the hypothesis that alterations in TGF-beta signaling occur during aneurysm formation was tested in a murine model of TAA...
- Complications of endovascular repair of high-risk and emergent descending thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissectionsChristopher J Hansen
Department of Vascular Surgery, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
J Vasc Surg 40:228-34. 2004..The development of this approach includes complications that are common to the endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms and some that are unique to thoracic endografting...
- Pathogenesis of thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysmsDong Chuan Guo
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, 6431 Fannin, MSB 6 039, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1085:339-52. 2006..This review focuses on the comparison of the pathologic mechanisms involved in TAA and AAA...
- TGFBR1 and TGFBR2 mutations in patients with features of Marfan syndrome and Loeys-Dietz syndromeKrishna Kumar Singh
Institute of Human Genetics, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Hum Mutat 27:770-7. 2006..In TGFBR2, five mutations and six polymorphisms were identified. Reexamination of patients with a TGFBR1 or TGFBR2 mutation revealed extensive clinical overlap between patients with MFS1, MFS2, and LDS...
- Mycotic aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta and iliac arteries: experience with anatomic and extra-anatomic repair in 33 casesB T Müller
Department of Vascular Surgery and Kidney Transplantation, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Vasc Surg 33:106-13. 2001..The aim of our study was to find out whether any progress could be achieved in a single center over a long time period (18 years) through use of surgical techniques and antiseptic adjuncts...
- Spinal cord ischemia after elective stent-graft repair of the thoracic aortaRoberto Chiesa
Division of Vascular Surgery, Vita Salute University, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Italy
J Vasc Surg 42:11-7. 2005..We reviewed our experience to investigate the determinants of paraplegia after stent-graft repair of the thoracic aorta, identify patients at risk, and assess the effectiveness of ancillary techniques...
- Thoracic aortic emergencies: impact of endovascular surgeryGabriele Iannelli
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 77:591-6. 2004..To obviate this risk, endovascular surgery is considered to be a valid alternative procedure...
- Interventional strategies for treatment of aortic dissectionC A Nienaber
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Rostock, Germany
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 47:487-96. 2006..With the use and interpretation of current information the reader will understand the potential of interventional stent-graft induced thoracic aortic repair in type B aortic dissection...
- Feasibility of the Inoue single-branched stent-graft implantation for thoracic aortic aneurysm or dissection involving the left subclavian artery: short- to medium-term results in 17 patientsNaritatsu Saito
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
J Vasc Surg 41:206-12; discussion 212. 2005..This study assessed the short- to medium-term clinical results of the Inoue single-branched stent graft for repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms or dissections involving the left subclavian artery...
- Endovascular treatment of thoracic disease: patient selection and a proposal of a risk scoreClaudia Maria Rodrigues Alves
Federal University of Sao Paulo, Paulista School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1143-8. 2002..Although selection criteria and subgroup analysis are still in the early developmental stages, endovascular treatment of aortic disease has become an alternative to surgery for many patients...
- Endovascular repair of abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysmsBarry T Katzen
Baptist Cardiac and Vascular Institute, Miami, FL, USA
Circulation 112:1663-75. 2005
- Quick, simple clamping technique in descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repairP Biglioli
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Milan and Centro Cardiologico I Monzino Foundation IRCCS, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 67:1038-43; discussion 1043-4. 1999..05). CONCLUSION: In descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repair, spinal cord perfusion can be maintained adequately without reimplantation of segmental vessels or ..
- Elective endovascular treatment of descending thoracic aortic aneurysms and chronic dissections with stent-graftsJ Y Won
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:575-82. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: For treatment of aortic dissection and saccular aneurysm of the descending thoracic aorta, endovascular stent-graft repair may be a technically feasible and effective treatment modality...
- Meta-analysis of open versus endovascular repair for ruptured descending thoracic aortic aneurysmFrederik H W Jonker
Department of Surgery and Radiology, Sections of Vascular Surgery and Interventional Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn 06510, USA
J Vasc Surg 51:1026-32, 1032.e1-1032.e2. 2010Ruptured descending thoracic aortic aneurysm (rDTAA) is associated with high mortality rates. Data supporting endovascular thoracic aortic aneurysm repair (TEVAR) to reduce mortality compared with open repair are limited to small series...
- Endovascular repair of a thoracic aorta mycotic pseudoaneurysm in a patient with history of bacteroides fragilis sepsis and leprosyMichael D Beland
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:298-300. 2005
- Kommerell's diverticulum and right-sided aortic arch: a cohort study and review of the literatureC S Cinà
Division of Vascular Surgery, McMaster University, Victoria Medical Center, 304 Victoria Avenue North, Suite 305, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 5G4, Canada
J Vasc Surg 39:131-9. 2004..We feel that a left subclavian-to-carotid transposition completed before the thoracic approach revascularizes the subclavian distribution without increasing the complexity of the intrathoracic procedure...
- Etiology, pathogenesis and management of thoracic aortic aneurysmHuseyin Ince
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Rostock, Germany
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 4:418-27. 2007..Although degenerative changes in the aortic wall are common to thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) and to various types of dissection in general, TAA can result from specific heritable disorders of ..
- Distal aortic perfusion and cerebrospinal fluid drainage for thoracoabdominal and descending thoracic aortic repair: ten years of organ protectionHazim J Safi
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School, 6410 Fannin Street, Suite 450, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Surg 238:372-80; discussion 380-1. 2003..To report the long-term results of our experience using cerebrospinal fluid drainage and distal aortic perfusion in descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic repair...
- Challenges of endovascular tube graft repair of thoracic aortic aneurysm: midterm follow-up and lessons learnedSharif H Ellozy
Division of Vascular Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 5 East 98th Street, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:676-83. 2003..This study analyzed a single center's experience with first-generation commercially produced thoracic stent grafts used to treat descending thoracic aortic aneurysms...
- Aortoesophageal fistula secondary to mycotic thoracic aortic aneurysm: endovascular repair and transhiatal esophagectomyRuth C Van Doorn
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Endovasc Ther 9:212-7. 2002To report a case of aortoesophageal fistula secondary to a mycotic thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) successfully repaired by stent-grafting of the descending thoracic aorta.
- Expert consensus document on the treatment of descending thoracic aortic disease using endovascular stent-graftsLars G Svensson
Center for Aortic Surgery and Marfan Syndrome Clinic, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S1-41. 2008....
- Mid-term results for second-generation thoracic stent graftsR E Bell
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 90:811-7. 2003..Thoracic stent grafts offer an alternative to open surgery for thoracic aortic disease, but their long-term durability is unknown. This report includes mid-term follow-up for commercially available thoracic devices...
- Loss of elastic fiber integrity and reduction of vascular smooth muscle contraction resulting from the upregulated activities of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in the thoracic aortic aneurysm in Marfan syndromeAda W Y Chung
Child and Family Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, British Columbia Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Circ Res 101:512-22. 2007b>Thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) is the life-threatening complication of Marfan syndrome (MFS), a connective tissue disorder caused by mutations in the fibrillin-1 gene...
- Left heart bypass during descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repair does not reduce the incidence of paraplegiaJoseph S Coselli
The Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine and The Methodist DeBakey Heart Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1298-303; discussion 1303. 2004..The purpose of this retrospective analysis was to determine if the use of left heart bypass (LHB) reduced the incidence of paraplegia in patients who underwent DTAA repair...
- Serious complications following endovascular thoracic aortic stent-graft repair for type B dissectionBeate Neuhauser
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:58-63. 2008..To describe our experience with endovascular stent-graft repairs in type B aortic dissection focusing on serious secondary complications resulting in immediate or late conversion to open repair...
- Descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repair: 12-year experience using distal aortic perfusion and cerebrospinal fluid drainageAnthony L Estrera
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas Houston Medical School, Memorial Hermann Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1290-6; discussion 1296. 2005..The purpose of this report is to analyze our experience with regard to neurologic deficit (paraplegia and paraparesis) and mortality using the adjuncts of distal aortic perfusion and cerebrospinal fluid drainage...
- Mapping a locus for familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections (TAAD2) to 3p24-25Sumera N Hasham
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, USA
Circulation 107:3184-90. 2003..2-q24 (FAA1). Further genetic heterogeneity for the condition was evident by the presence of TAAD in some families not linked to these known loci...
- Ascending thoracic aneurysms are associated with decreased systemic atherosclerosisHardean Achneck
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, 121 FMB, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Chest 128:1580-6. 2005..It is our objective to determine whether there is a negative association between ascending thoracic aneurysms and systemic atherosclerosis...
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysm/dissection with patent ductus arteriosus: genetic arguments for a particular pathophysiological entityPhilippe Khau Van Kien
INSERM U36, College de France, and Département de Génétique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Eur J Hum Genet 12:173-80. 2004b>Thoracic aortic aneurysm and aortic dissection (TAA and AD) are an important cause of sudden death. Familial cases could account for 20% of all cases...
- Aortic aneurysms secrete interleukin-6 into the circulationJoe Dawson
St George s Vascular Institute, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 45:350-6. 2007..The aim of this study was to directly measure in vivo aortic IL-6 concentrations, testing the hypothesis that aneurysms secrete IL-6 into the circulation...
- Complex thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms: endovascular exclusion with visceral revascularizationStephen Alan Black
Regional Vascular Unit, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 43:1081-9; discussion 1089. 2006..We review our ongoing experience with a transabdominal stent repair of complex thoracoabdominal aneurysms (Crawford type I, II, and III) with surgical revascularization of visceral and renal arteries...
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections: three families with early-onset ascending and descending aortic dissections in womenVan Tran-Fadulu
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Med Genet A 140:1196-202. 2006..Thus, a novel unidentified loci may be responsible for the phenotype in these three families...
- A prospective study of medically treated acute type B aortic dissectionA Winnerkvist
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anesthesiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:349-55. 2006..To study prospectively aneurysm formation, need of surgery, incidence of rupture and mortality in patients with conservatively treated acute type B aortic dissection...
- Endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta: lessons learnedFrank J Criado
Center for Vascular Intervention, Division of Vascular Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital, MedStar Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:857-63; discussion 863. 2005..We sought to gain a better understanding of these issues through a retrospective review of our 8-year clinical experience in the treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections...
- Thoracic aortic stent-graft devices: problems, failure modes, and applicabilityChristoph A Nienaber
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Rostock, Germany
Semin Vasc Surg 20:81-9. 2007..The aim of this work is to give an overview on thoracic aortic stent-graft devices with focus on problems, failure modes and potential improvements...
- Endograft exclusion of acute and chronic descending thoracic aortic dissectionsTae K Song
Division of Vascular, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
J Vasc Surg 43:247-58. 2006....
- Ortner's syndrome and endoluminal treatment of a thoracic aortic aneurysm: a case reportJosé F Guijarro Escribano
Department of Vascular Surgery, Hospital Central de la Defensa Gomez Ulla, Madrid, Spain
Vasc Endovascular Surg 40:75-8. 2006..laryngeal nerve paralysis, confirmed by laryngoscopy, in a patient who was diagnosed with a saccular thoracic aortic aneurysm and treated with endovascular prostheses...
- Gene expression signature in peripheral blood detects thoracic aortic aneurysmYulei Wang
Applied Biosystems, Foster City, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1050. 2007b>Thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) is usually asymptomatic and associated with high mortality. Adverse clinical outcome of TAA is preventable by elective surgical repair; however, identifying at-risk individuals is difficult...
- Long-term results from a 12-year experience with endovascular therapy for thoracic aortic diseaseHimanshu J Patel
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0348, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:2147-53. 2006..Endovascular approaches promise to revolutionize therapy for thoracic aortic disease. This study describes a long-term analysis of endovascular thoracic aortic repair...
- Endovascular treatment of complicated aortic aneurysms in patients with underlying arteriopathiesDonald T Baril
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:464-71. 2006..EVSG repair of aortic aneurysms is feasible and can be safely performed in patients with arteriopathies. Long-term durability in this younger group of patients who carry an ongoing risk of arterial degeneration remains to be determined...
- Results of endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta with the Talent Thoracic stent graft: the Talent Thoracic Retrospective RegistryRossella Fattori
Cardiovascular Radiology, University Hospital S Orsola, Bologna, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:332-9. 2006..The Talent Thoracic Retrospective Registry was designed to evaluate the impact of this therapy on patients treated in 7 major European referral centers over an 8-year period...
- Outcomes of medical management of acute type B aortic dissectionAnthony L Estrera
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas Houston Medical School, Memorial Hermann Heart and Vascular Institute, 6410 Fannin St, Suite 450, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Circulation 114:I384-9. 2006..Currently, the optimal treatment of acute type B aortic dissection remains controversial. The purpose of this study was to report early clinical outcomes of medical management for acute type B aortic dissection...
- Hybrid approaches to thoracic aortic aneurysms: the role of endovascular elephant trunk completionRoy K Greenberg
The Center for Aortic Surgery, Department of Vascular Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Circulation 112:2619-26. 2005b>Thoracic aortic aneurysm affecting the arch and proximal descending thoracic aorta requires 2-stage repairs that include proximal elephant trunk graft placement and completion of thoracic or thoracoabdominal repair...
- Single-stage repair of extensive thoracic aortic aneurysms: experience with the arch-first technique and bilateral anterior thoracotomyNicholas T Kouchoukos
Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Missouti Baptist Medical Center, 3009 N Ballas Road, St Louis, MO, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 128:669-76. 2004..We have used a single-stage technique for operative repair of most or all of the thoracic aorta...
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm patients with Chlamydophila pneumoniae infection showed a shift in trace element levels in serum and diseased aortic tissueChristina Nyström-Rosander
Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
J Trace Elem Med Biol 23:100-6. 2009..pneumoniae-positive compared with C. pneumoniae-negative patients. The results are compatible with active infection and/or inflammation, possibly initiated by C. pneumoniae...
- In situ stent-graft fenestration to preserve the left subclavian arteryRichard G McWilliams
Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
J Endovasc Ther 11:170-4. 2004..To report our first clinical application of a new technique for in situ fenestration of a thoracic stent-graft...
- Does profound hypothermic circulatory arrest improve survival in patients with acute type a aortic dissection?David T Lai
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305 5247, USA
Circulation 106:I218-28. 2002..No evidence exists that profound hypothermic circulatory arrest (PHCA) improves survival or reduces the likelihood of distal aortic reoperation in patients with acute type A aortic dissection...
- Type A aortic dissection developing during endovascular repair of an acute type B dissectionFabrizio Fanelli
Department of Radiological Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Endovasc Ther 10:254-9. 2003..To describe an extension of type B dissection into type A during endoluminal treatment of acute type B dissection...
- Thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair in Japan: Experience with fenestrated stent grafts in the treatment of distal arch aneurysmsSatoshi Kawaguchi
Department of Vascular Surgery, Center for Minimally Invasive Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Vasc Surg 48:24S-29S; discussion 29S. 2008..We have participated in joint design and assessment efforts with a stent graft manufacturer, focusing primarily on fenestrated stent grafts used in repairs at the distal arch, a site especially prone to aneurysm...
- Stent-graft placement in atherosclerotic descending thoracic aortic aneurysms: midterm resultsMartin Czerny
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Endovasc Ther 11:26-32. 2004..To determine midterm durability and need for reinterventions after stent-graft placement in atherosclerotic descending thoracic aortic aneurysms...
- Endovascular repair of a right-sided descending thoracic aortic aneurysm associated with a right aortic arch and a left subclavian artery arising from a Kommerell's diverticulumChris Klonaris
First Department of Surgery, Vascular Division, Laikon Hospital, Athens University Medical School, 11 Zalokosta St, Psihico, Athens, 15452, Greece
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32:758-61. 2009This case report describes the endovascular repair of a right-sided descending thoracic aortic aneurysm associated with a right aortic arch and an aberrant left subclavian artery...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae in patients undergoing surgery for thoracic aortic diseaseChristina Nyström-Rosander
Section of Infectious Diseases, Uppsala University Hospital, SE 75185 Uppsala, Sweden
Scand Cardiovasc J 36:329-35. 2002..To investigate if Chlamydia pneumoniae is present in the wall of the thoracic aorta in patients operated on for aneurysm or aortic dissection...
- Operative delay for peripheral malperfusion syndrome in acute type A aortic dissection: a long-term analysisHimanshu J Patel
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:1288-95; discussion 1295-6. 2008..This study evaluates the late outcomes with this approach...
- Transforming Growth Factor-beta Signaling Pathways in Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJeffrey A Jones; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) disease is a potentially devastating disease process which often causes death by rupture in the absence of symptoms...
- Extracellular Matrix Metabolism in Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and DissectionScott A LeMaire; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Although thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection (TAAD) are not as common as some forms of vascular diseases, e.g. coronary artery disease, it is a clinically insidious disease with high fatality...
- Age-Dependent Mechanisms in Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn S Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAAs) occur most frequently in persons 60-70 years of age, it follows that over the next two decades the ..
- Development Underpinnings of Acquired Aortic Aneurysm in Marfan SyndromeMark E Lindsay; Fiscal Year: 2013..factor beta (TGF-2) axis in human vascular disease has revolutionized the pathogenetic understanding of thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA)...
- Genetic Etiology of Bicuspid Aortic Valve DiseaseSimon C Body; Fiscal Year: 2013..biology and modifiers of disease progression for BAV to aortic valve stenosis and incompetence, and thoracic aortic aneurysm/dissection...
- AUTOIMMUNE AORTIC ANTIGENS IN ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANEURYSMSMARTIN TILSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..mutations and polymorphisms that predispose individuals affected by Marfan syndrome to abdominal vs thoracic aortic aneurysm formation. Finally, in Project 3, Dr...
- Intracellular Signaling in Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE Thoracic aortic aneurysm disease is a devastating disease process which often results in death because of a lack of aneurysm ..
- Matrix Metalloproteinases in Thoracic Aortic DissectionSCOTT LEMAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2009..with aortic dissection;and 3) to investigate our hypothesis that MMP-9 overexpression is a key step in thoracic aortic aneurysm formation and rupture in a mouse model of aortic dissection...
- Extracellular Mechanisms For Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2008Aneurysmal disease of the aorta is a common cause of death in the United States. Thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) patients are particularly challenging because of the complexity of surgical repair and high incidence of postoperative ..
- Homocysteine/Hypertension & Vascular Lesion FormationPeter Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- VOLUMETRIC ANALYSIS OF THE AORTA AND ITS BRANCHESGeoffrey Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Improving Radiologist Detection of Lung Nodules with CADGeoffrey Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN DIABETICSJoshua Beckman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- VEIN GRAFT PRESERVATION: THROMBOSIS & NEOINTIMAL DISEASEYoshifumi Naka; Fiscal Year: 2004..The current proposal is driven by the applicant?s desire to use a model of vein graft disease as a tool to learn how to undertake basic studies to elucidate mechanisms of early and late vein graft failure...
- Retrograde In Situ Isolated Cardiac Gene DeliveryCharles Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2004..Further development of this approach may ultimately lead to the development of clinically relevant techniques of therapeutic cardiac gene delivery for the treatment of heart failure of diverse etiologies. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- MMP-9-Dependent Vessel Wall Remodeling is NO-DependentGilbert Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Myocardial regeneration in ischemic cardiomyopathyMarc Penn; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Vein wall remodeling after DVT is matrix metalloproteinase dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will provide important mechanistic insight into the pathophysiology of post-phelbitic syndrome with real potential translation to decreasing the morbidity from this under-acknowledged disease. ..
- Genetic Basis of Aortic Aneurysms/DissectionsDianna Milewicz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Therefore, identification of the genes that predispose individuals to TAAD is critical in preventing premature deaths due to dissections. ..
- Thrombus resolution is CXC chemokine dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Non-viral controllable gene delivery for neuroprotectionJAMES HECKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Neuroprotection strategies designed for pre-operative use will also have significant application for attenuation of secondary injury following stroke, brain or spinal cord trauma, or neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- CHARACTERIZING MICROFIBRIL ABNORMALITIES IN SCLERODERMADianna Milewicz; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research proposed in this grant will determine the contribution of abnormalities in fibrillin-1-containing microfibrils to the activation of fibroblasts, which leads to the fibrosis that characterizes SSc. ..
- New ECG Criteria for Posterior Myocardial InfarctionShu Fen Wung; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will aid in the detection and follow-up of patients with posterior myocardial infarction. ..