Genomes and Genes
Summary: Presence of fluid within the pericardium.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications314 found, 100 shown here
- Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases executive summary; The Task force on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases of the European society of cardiologyBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:587-610. 2004
- Effusive-constrictive pericarditisJaume Sagristà-Sauleda
Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 350:469-75. 2004..pericarditis is an uncommon pericardial syndrome characterized by concomitant tamponade, caused by tense pericardial effusion, and constriction, caused by the visceral pericardium...
- Diagnostic value of the biochemical composition of pericardial effusions in patients undergoing pericardiocentesisShomron Ben-Horin
Department of Medicine F, Sheba Medical Center and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Cardiol 99:1294-7. 2007..In conclusion, most PEs are exudates. The analysis of pericardial fluid biochemical and cell-count composition is generally not helpful for the diagnosis of most PEs...
- Pericardial tamponade as the first manifestation of adenocarcinomaI de la Gandara
Services of Oncology, Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Acta Oncol 36:429-31. 1997..The therapeutic procedures included pericardiocentesis in 9 patients (6 of whom had recurrent tamponade), a pericardial window in 4 and pericardiotomy in 4 (without recurrences). The mean survival was 4 months...
- The prevalence and outcome of effusive constrictive pericarditis: a systematic review of the literatureMpiko Ntsekhe
Cardiac Clinic, Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Cardiovasc J Afr 23:281-5. 2012..Appropriate studies are needed to determine the epidemiology of ECP in tuberculous pericarditis, which is one of the leading causes of pericardial disease in the world...
- Effectiveness and prognosis of initial pericardiocentesis in the primary management of malignant pericardial effusionAngel Apodaca-Cruz
Department of Internal Medicine, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, Mexico City, Mexico
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:154-61. 2010We retrospectively reviewed the records of 100 patients with malignant disease and symptomatic pericardial effusion initially treated with pericardiocentesis at the National Cancer Institute of Mexico between 1985 and 2009...
- Hospital outcome of moderate to severe pericardial effusion complicating ST-elevation acute myocardial infarctionJaume Figueras
Unitat Coronaria, Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Circulation 122:1902-9. 2010Hospital prognosis of moderate to severe pericardial effusion (MPE; ≥10 mm) in ST-elevation myocardial infarction is largely unknown.
- Diagnostic value of chest X-ray and echocardiography for cardiac tamponade in post cardiac surgery patientsMohammad Hamid
Department of Anaesthesia, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 56:104-7. 2006..To investigate the effectiveness of X-ray and echocardiography (ECHO) as a diagnostic tool for cardiac tamponade in adult cardiac surgery patients...
- Incidence of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department with unexplained dyspneaM Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Acad Emerg Med 8:1143-6. 2001To evaluate the frequency of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) with unexplained, new onset dyspnea.
- Practical aspects of the management of pericardial diseaseBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Heart 89:1096-103. 2003
- The management of tuberculous pericardial effusion: experience in 233 consecutive patientsH Reuter
TREAD Research Cardiology Unit, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, Parow, Western Cape, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 18:20-5. 2007..We report on the 30-day and one-year outcome of consecutive effusive pericarditis patients, including those with tuberculous pericarditis, over a six-year-period...
- Pericardial effusion in AIDS. Incidence and survivalP A Heidenreich
Division of Cardiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Circulation 92:3229-34. 1995BACKGROUND: Although pericardial effusion is known to be common among patients infected with HIV, the incidence of pericardial effusion and its relation to survival have never been described...
- A modern approach to tuberculous pericarditisFaisal F Syed
Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 50:218-36. 2007..Tuberculosis is responsible for approximately 70% of cases of large pericardial effusion and most cases of constrictive pericarditis in developing countries, where most of the world's population ..
- Effusive constrictive pericarditis secondary to undifferentiated pericardial sarcomaP A Calvert
Heart 92:1034. 2006
- Surgical management of symptomatic pericardial effusion in patients with solid malignanciesJefferson Luiz Gross
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Rua Professor Antonio Prudente, 211 Liberdade, Sao Paulo, SP, 01509 010, Brazil
Ann Surg Oncol 13:1732-8. 2006Symptomatic pericardial effusion in patients with cancer may lead to a life-threatening event that requires diligent treatment, but the best surgical treatment is still controversial...
- Gemcitabine-induced pericardial effusion and tamponade after unblocked cardiac irradiationDan T Vogl
Abramson Cancer Center, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 46:1313-20. 2005..We report four cases of hemodynamically significant pericardial effusion in patients with refractory lymphoma who were receiving gemcitabine, all of whom had a history of ..
- A case of effusive-constrictive pericarditis after cardiac surgeryM Ito
First Department of Internal Medicine, Niigata University School of Medicine, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Niigata 951 8517, Niigata, Japan
Mayo Clin Proc 76:555-8. 2001..An echocardiogram demonstrated massive pericardial effusion. Cardiac catheterization revealed elevation and equilibrium of the 4-chamber diastolic pressure and a dip-..
- A 15-year-old girl with a large pericardial effusionRoel J Bolt
Department of Pediatrics, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 167:811-2. 2008..We describe a 15-year-old girl admitted for a large pericardial effusion. Subxiphoid pericardial biopsy was performed. Biopsy samples were positive for M...
- CT findings in patients with pericardial effusion: differentiation of malignant and benign diseaseJoo Sung Sun
Department of Radiology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Yeongtong Gu, Suwon 443721, Republic of Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 194:W489-94. 2010This study was designed to validate the usefulness of a CT finding of abnormal pericardial thickening and to investigate the value of associated thoracic changes in predicting the presence of malignant pericardial effusion.
- Diagnostic issues in the clinical management of pericarditisM Imazio
Cardiology Department, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Torino, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 64:1384-92. 2010..To review the current major diagnostic issues on the diagnosis of acute and recurrent pericarditis...
- Aetiological diagnosis in acute and recurrent pericarditis: when and howMassimo Imazio
Cardiology Department, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Torino, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 10:217-30. 2009..In developed countries the clinicians should rule out neoplastic, tuberculous, and purulent pericarditis, as well as pericarditis related to a systemic disease...
- Role of biochemical tests in the diagnosis of large pericardial effusionsLesley J Burgess
Department of Chemical Pathology, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Hospital, Tygerberg, South Africa
Chest 121:495-9. 2002..To determine the biochemical characteristics of large pericardial effusions in various disease states, and to assess their utility as diagnostic tools...
- Treatment of pericardial diseaseSalman Azam
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Cardiovasc Ther 29:308-14. 2011..This article reviews pericarditis and its sequelae, pericardial effusions, cardiac tamponade and constrictive pericarditis...
- Pericardial tamponade as initial presentation of papillary thyroid carcinomaF M González Valverde
Department of Surgery, Hospital de la Vega Baja, Orihuela, Spain
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:205-7. 2005We herein describe a 19-year-old woman who presented with pericardial effusion that resulted in heart tamponade. The clinicopathological study revealed papillary carcinoma of the thyroid metastasized to the heart...
- Etiological diagnosis of pericardial effusionPierre Yves Levy
Unite des Rickettsies, Universite de la Mediterranee, CNRS UMR 6020 IFR48, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille Cedex 05, France
Future Microbiol 1:229-39. 2006..noninvasive method for the detection of effusion, has clarified the definition from pericarditis to pericardial effusion, which is a standardized and clear entity...
- Cardiovascular emergencies: pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponadeJo Ann Flounders
Medical Oncology and Hematology, Drexel Hill, PA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 30:E48-55. 2003
- Iatrogenic pericardial effusion and tamponade in the percutaneous intracardiac intervention eraDavid R Holmes
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2:705-17. 2009..These approaches carry with them the potential for pericardial effusion (PE) and cardiac tamponade, particularly in the setting when intraprocedural anticoagulation is being ..
- The composition of normal pericardial fluid and its implications for diagnosing pericardial effusionsShomron Ben-Horin
Department of Medicine F, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Am J Med 118:636-40. 2005..Moreover, there is little data regarding the normal composition of the physiological pericardial fluid, which could serve as a reference for pathological effusions...
- Echocardiographic and clinicopathologic characterization of pericardial effusion in dogs: 107 cases (1985-2006)Kristin A MacDonald
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 235:1456-61. 2009To evaluate sensitivity and specificity of echocardiography for diagnosis of cardiac masses in dogs with pericardial effusion.
- Biochemical analysis of pleural, peritoneal and pericardial effusionsL J Burgess
TREAD Research Cardiology Unit, Stellenbosch University, P O Box 19174, Tygerberg 7505, Parow, South Africa
Clin Chim Acta 343:61-84. 2004..A wide range of biochemical tests may be requested. This review critically examines the various analytes that have been used to investigate these body fluids...
- Ergotamine-induced pleural and pericardial effusion successfully treated with colchicineV Helsen
Division of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 68:113-5. 2013..and diuretics, the pleural effusion increased on chest X-ray and there were signs of pleural and pericardial effusion on computed tomography (CT) scan...
- Presentation pattern and management of effusive-constrictive pericarditis in IbadanM A Salami
Department of Surgery, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Division, University College Hospital and College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Cardiovasc J Afr 23:206-11. 2012..We sought to provide further information by addressing the evolution and clinico-pathological pattern, and optimal surgical management of this disease...
- CT based volume measurement and estimation in cases of pericardial effusionLars C Ebert
Virtopsy, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190 52, Zurich, Switzerland
J Forensic Leg Med 19:126-31. 2012The measurement of fluid volumes in cases of pericardial effusion is a necessary procedure during autopsy...
- Symptomatic pericardial effusion after chemoradiation therapy in esophageal cancer patientsJunichi Fukada
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan Electronic address
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 87:487-93. 2013We investigated clinical and treatment-related factors as predictors of symptomatic pericardial effusion in esophageal cancer patients after concurrent chemoradiation therapy.
- Risk factors for pericardial effusion in inoperable esophageal cancer patients treated with definitive chemoradiation therapyXiong Wei
Department of Radiation Physics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:707-14. 2008To identify clinical and dosimetric factors influencing the risk of pericardial effusion (PCE) in patients with inoperable esophageal cancer treated with definitive concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy (RT).
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome presenting as pericarditis and pericardial effusionAlwyn Rapose
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0435, USA
Cardiology 110:142-4. 2008..Pericarditis and pericardial effusion are rare manifestations of IRIS...
- Increased occurrence of pericardial effusion in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseQi Qian
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2:1223-7. 2007Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is a common hereditary disease with prominent connective tissue manifestations. A frequent occurrence of asymptomatic pericardial effusion has been observed in patients with ADPKD.
- Medical therapy of pericardial diseases: part II: Noninfectious pericarditis, pericardial effusion and constrictive pericarditisMassimo Imazio
Cardiology Department, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Torino, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 11:785-94. 2010..diseases that can be encountered in the clinical setting include acute and recurrent pericarditis, pericardial effusion with or without cardiac tamponade, and constrictive pericarditis...
- A retrospective study of clinical findings, treatment and outcome in 143 dogs with pericardial effusionM Stafford Johnson
Veterinary Cardiorespiratory Centre, 43 Waverley Road, Kenilworth, Warwickshire
J Small Anim Pract 45:546-52. 2004A retrospective study of 143 dogs with pericardial effusion is presented, including a statistical analysis of survival time...
- Post-traumatic myocardial infarction complicated with left ventricular aneurysm and pericardial effusionYoung Won Yoon
Cardiology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei Universitiy College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Trauma 63:E73-5. 2007
- A case of rheumatoid pericarditis with high concentrations of interleukin-6 in pericardial fluidN Shikama
Department of Internal Medicine, Chiba Municipal Hospital, 827 Yahagi Chuo ku, Chiba City, Chiba 260 0851, Japan
Heart 83:711-2. 2000..The concentration of interleukin-6 (IL-6) in pericardial fluid was notably increased compared with serum. IL-6 may be associated with progression or maintenance of rheumatoid pericarditis...
- The use of adenosine deaminase and interferon-gamma as diagnostic tools for tuberculous pericarditisLesley J Burgess
Department of Cardiology, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Chest 122:900-5. 2002..We investigated ADA and IFN-gamma levels in pericardial effusions of different etiologies...
- Pericardial effusion: a rare presentation of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphomaFernando P Chaves
Boston Medical Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 77:381-3. 2004..CT scan showed small mediastinal lymph nodes and pericardial effusion. Diagnosis was established by cytomorphologic evaluation and flow cytometric analysis of the pericardial ..
- Management of pericardial effusion the role of echocardiography in establishing the indications and the selection of the approach for drainageArsen D Ristic
University Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Herz 30:144-50. 2005
- Pericardial effusion complicating novel influenza A (H1N1) infection in an infantKatalin Koranyi
College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:782-3. 2010We report the case of a 3-month-old boy with novel influenza A (H1N1) infection complicated by pericardial effusion. The patient was treated with pericardial drainage, oseltamivir, and ibuprofen and improved...
- Angiosarcoma in a pregnant woman presenting with pericardial tamponade--a case report and review of the literatureNassir A Azimi
Yale University School of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Angiology 57:251-7. 2006..They review the literature involving pericardial disease in pregnancy and discuss important issues in management and include a discussion of angiosarcoma...
- Electrocardiographic changes resulting from pericardial effusion drainageHae Ok Jung
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Am J Cardiol 106:437-41. 2010Electrocardiographic (ECG) changes resulting from drainage of pericardial effusion (PE) have not been systematically studied...
- Specific self-antigen-driven immune response in pericardial effusion as an isolated GVHD manifestationA Lev
Cancer Research Center, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:1084-7. 2010b>Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade have been described as GVHD manifestations in the post transplant period...
- [Pericardial window by videothoracoscope in the treatment of pericardial effusion and tamponade]Juan J Fibla
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica, Hospital Universitari Sagrat Cor, Barcelona, Espana
Cir Esp 83:145-8. 2008Malignancies are the most common causes of pericardial effusion (PE) or tamponade (PT). Lung and breast carcinoma are the most frequent...
- Case report. Kocher-Debre-Semelaigne syndrome with pericardial effusionPraveen Dharaskar
Department of Pediatrics, Seth G S Medical College and K E M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Indian J Med Sci 61:527-30. 2007..e. Kocher-Debre-Semelaigne syndrome) with pericardial effusion. The child presented with generalized swelling, breathlessness and difficulty in walking and in getting up ..
- Neoplastic pericardial effusionMarwan M Refaat
Division of Cardiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Clin Cardiol 34:593-8. 2011Neoplastic pericardial effusion is a serious and common clinical disorder encountered by cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, oncologists, and radiation oncologists...
- [Neoplastic pericarditis--the role of different diagnostic procedures]Anna Pawlak-Cieślik
Klinika Chorob Wewnetrznych Klatki Piersiowej
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:37-44. 2006..Consecutive medical records of the patients with pericardial effusion treated with pericardiocentesis or pericardioscopy in the period of 1982-2002 were analyzed retrospectively...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of pericardial disease and intracardiac thrombusJohn D Grizzard
Non Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging, Department of Radiology, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298 0615, USA
Heart Fail Clin 5:401-19, vii. 2009....
- Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in malignant and autoreactive pericardial effusionSteffen Lamparter
Diakonie Krankenhaus Wehrda, Department of Internal Medicine, Marburg, Germany
Am J Cardiol 95:1065-9. 2005..Recent reports have suggested a potential role of MMPs in the evolution of pericardial effusion (PE)...
- A right heart angiosarcoma with rapidly progressing hemorrhagic pericardial effusionYanjun Gong
Department of Cardiology, Peking University First Hospital, China
Intern Med 50:455-8. 2011..describe a 66-year-old man who suffered from cough and hemoptysis and then experienced rapidly progressing hemorrhagic pericardial effusion. After a set of examinations he was diagnosed as right heart angiosarcoma. His outcome was poor.
- Pericardiocentesis guided by 2-D echocardiography: the method of choice for treatment of pericardial effusionM Lindenberger
Department of Medicine and Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
J Intern Med 253:411-7. 2003..Percutaneous pericardiocentesis guided by 2-D echocardiography has been used at Linköping Heart Centre since 1983...
- Effusive constrictive pericarditis: 2D, 3D echocardiography and MRI imagingBrian Zagol
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Echocardiography 24:1110-4. 2007The entity of effusive constrictive pericarditis (ECP) combines clinical and echocardiographic features of pericardial effusion and constrictive pericarditis...
- Pericardial effusion, right-sided pleural effusion and ascites associated with stage IV endometriosis. A case reportMichelle Francis
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Cardiology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, USA
J Reprod Med 48:463-5. 2003..Endometriosis has rarely been associated with ascites and less often with pleural (usually right-sided) effusion...
- Pericardial effusion: haemodynamic spectrumR Shabetai
VA Health Care System, Cardiology 111 A, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Heart 90:255-6. 2004
- Spontaneous chylopericardium: delineation of the underlying anatomic pathology by CT lymphangiographyMaxim Itkin
Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1595-7. 2009..We theorized that the development of the pathologic lymphatic ducts in close proximity to the pericardium resulted in the development of the slowly accumulating chylopericardium...
- New directions in diagnosis and treatment of pericardial disease. A project of the Taskforce on Pericardial Disease of the World Heart FederationB Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Herz 25:769-80. 2000..vs placebo in chronic/recurring pericarditis without pericardiocentesis; TRIPE (triamcinolone in pericardial effusion)--intrapericardial instillation of triamcinolone + 6 months colchicine vs pericardial puncture without ..
- Tuberculous pericardial abscess with impending pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponadeSaulat Hasnain Fatimi
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 61:286-7. 2011..Acute tuberculous pericardial abscess was the diagnosis made after histopathology which was successfully managed with sternotomy along with drainage of pus...
- Cytokine activation in pericardial fluids in different forms of pericarditisS Pankuweit
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Herz 25:748-54. 2000There are many causes of pericardial effusion and it is useful to classify them etiologically, since this disorder is the most common pathologic process involving the pericardium...
- Porridge-like tuberculous cardiac tamponade: treatment difficulties in the Horn of AfricaPierre Laurent Massoure
Hôpital Bouffard, Djibouti, SP 85024 00812, Armees, Republic of Djibouti
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:276-8. 2010..Transthoracic echocardiography revealed a 30-mm circumferential echogenic "porridge-like" pericardial effusion with signs of cardiac tamponade. Tuberculosis (TB) was suspected because of its prevalence in Djibouti...
- Potential errors in the diagnosis of pericardial effusion on trauma ultrasound for penetrating injuriesM Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Acad Emerg Med 7:1261-6. 2000To evaluate ultrasound error in patients presenting with penetrating injury with a potential for pericardial effusion.
- Rapid diagnosis of tuberculous pericarditis by ELISPOT assayYoshihiro Kobashi
Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Matsushima, Kurashiki, Japan
Scand J Infect Dis 42:712-5. 2010..was made using the Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB)-specific enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT) assay on pericardial effusion mononuclear cells (PEMCs)...
- Pericardial effusion of HIV-infected patients ? Results of a prospective multicenter cohort study in the era of antiretroviral therapyAlexander Lind
West German Heart Center, Department of Cardiology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 16:480-3. 2011..Previous publications described pericardial effusion as one of the most common HIV-associated cardiac affiliations...
- Tuberculous pericarditis presenting as multiple free floating masses in pericardial effusionShin Ae Yoon
Department of Pediatrics, Chungbuk National University Hospital, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 27:325-8. 2012..Echocardiography found free floating multiple discoid masses in the pericardial effusion. The masses and exudates were removed by pericardiostomy...
- Traumatic pericardial effusion: impact of diagnostic and surgical approachesYao Kuang Huang
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and Heart Failure Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Center, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Taiwan, ROC
Resuscitation 81:1682-6. 2010In trauma patients with chest injuries, traumatic pericardial effusion is an important scenario to consider because of its close linkage to cardiac injury...
- Cardiac tamponadeLaurent Bodson
ICU, Section Thorax Vascular diseases Abdomen Metabolism, University Hospital Ambroise Pare, Boulogne and Faculté de Médecine Paris Ile de France Ouest, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Versailles, France
Curr Opin Crit Care 17:416-24. 2011..To re-emphasize the epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiac tamponade...
- Unusual cases in multiple myeloma and a dramatic response in metastatic lung cancer: Case 1. Multiple myeloma relapse presenting as malignant pericardial effusionRobert Zeiser
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 23:230-1. 2005
- Characterization of the immunological features of tuberculous pericardial effusions in HIV positive and HIV negative patients in contrast with non-tuberculous effusionsHelmuth Reuter
Cardiology Unit TREAD Research, P O Box 19174, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 86:125-33. 2006..To investigate the immunopathogenesis of pericardial tuberculosis (TB) and the influence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) on the anti-tuberculous immune response...
- Reversible subacute effusive-constrictive pericarditis after correction of double-chambered right ventricle: a case reportKimihiro Tanaka
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, JR Tokyo General Hospital, Yoyogi 2 1 3, Shibuya ku, Tokyo 151 8528
J Cardiol 39:267-70. 2002..Two weeks after surgery, the patient had massive pericardial effusion, which acutely progressed to constrictive pericarditis with the symptoms of cardiac tamponade...
- Usefulness of pericardial effusion as new diagnostic criterion for noninvasive detection of myocarditisPeter Ong
Department of Cardiology, Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
Am J Cardiol 108:445-52. 2011..In the present study, we sought to determine whether the presence of pericardial effusion could serve as a new diagnostic criterion and improve the sensitivity of CMR imaging to detect myocarditis...
- Tuberculous effusive-constrictive pericarditisJ B Russell
Department of Internal Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Observatory
Cardiovasc J Afr 19:200-1. 2008..We present a patient who was diagnosed with this condition, and highlight the value of contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in demonstrating the underlying structural and functional abnormalities...
- Purulent pericarditis with greenish pericardial effusion caused by Shewanella algaeChe Kim Tan
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 46:2817-9. 2008We report the first case of purulent pericarditis with greenish pericardial effusion caused by Shewanella algae in a patient with gastric and gallbladder cancer. This case expands the reported spectrum of infection caused by S...
- Clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion in patients who underwent echocardiographically guided pericardiocentesis: Yonsei Cardiovascular Center experience, 1993-2003Byoung Chul Cho
Cardiology Division, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Sinchon Dong Seodaemun Gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 45:462-8. 2004..as an alternative to electrocardiographically or fluoroscopically guided puncture for the management of pericardial effusion. The objective of this study was to investigate echocardiographically (echo)- guided pericardiocenteses ..
- The pericardial window: is a video-assisted thoracoscopy approach better than a surgical approach?Magdi Ibrahim Ahmad Muhammad
Department of Thoracic Surgery, King Fahad Hospital, Almadinah Almunawarah, Saudi Arabia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:174-8. 2011The approach to the pericardial window in patients with pericardial effusion (PE) remains undefined as to whether a surgical (transthoracic or subxiphoid) or a thoracoscopic pericardial window is the optimal operative approach to PE...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic pericardial window for diagnosis and management of pericardial effusionsGeorgios P Georghiou
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 80:607-10. 2005..It also allows an excellent view of both the pleural cavity and pericardium and the precise selection of biopsy sites. We review our 3-year experience with this technique...
- Management of effusive and constrictive pericardial heart diseaseBrian D Hoit
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Circulation 105:2939-42. 2002
- A novel pericardial effusion scoring index to guide decision for drainageDan G Halpern
Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10025, USA
Crit Pathw Cardiol 11:85-8. 2012..Subacute pericardial tamponade can present without signs of cardiogenic shock. Symptoms and signs lack both sensitivity and specificity...
- Large pericardial effusion requiring pericardiocentesis as cardinal sign of macrophage activation syndrome in systemic onset-juvenile idiopathic arthritisDonato Rigante
Department of Pediatric Sciences, Universita Cattolica Sacro Cuore, Largo A Gemelli no 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Rheumatol Int 27:767-70. 2007We report a case of large pericardial effusion which has been managed with pericardiocentesis as the main presentation feature of a dramatic clinical picture, only retrospectively framed as referred to macrophage activation syndrome in a ..
- Fluoranthene, but not benzo[a]pyrene, interacts with hypoxia resulting in pericardial effusion and lordosis in developing zebrafishCole W Matson
Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, United States
Chemosphere 74:149-54. 2008..hypoxia-induced reduction in CYP1A activity in BNF or BaP-exposed zebrafish embryos would similarly enhance pericardial effusion and other developmental abnormalities...
- Outcomes of clinically significant idiopathic pericardial effusion requiring interventionTeresa S M Tsang
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Cardiol 91:704-7. 2003There is a paucity of outcome data on patients with idiopathic pericardial effusion requiring intervention...
- Spontaneous coronary artery rupture in a young patient: a rare diagnosis for cardiac tamponadeBishwo M S Shrestha
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Prince Charles Hospital, Qld 4032, Brisbane, Australia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:537-9. 2009..Acute aortic dissection was suspected but urgent contrast computed tomography (CT) showed a large pericardial effusion with cardiac tamponade. This was later confirmed on trans-oesophageal echocardiogram...
- Pericardial effusion after cardiac surgery: risk factors, patient profiles, and contemporary managementElena A Ashikhmina
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:112-8. 2010We aimed to review recent experience at our institution in the diagnosis and treatment of pericardial effusion after cardiac surgery and to identify risk factors for its development.
- Sonographic evidence of ascites, pleura-pericardial effusion and gallbladder wall edema for dengue feverM Motla
Yahoda Hospital, Ghaziabad, India
Prehosp Disaster Med 26:335-41. 2011..The current study is a retrospective analysis of ultrasonographic (USG) features of patients presenting with probable dengue fever during the outbreak of DF of 2006 in North India...
- Risk factors affecting the survival of patients with pericardial effusion submitted to subxiphoid pericardiostomyTheodosios Dosios
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Chest 124:242-6. 2003..drainage of the pericardial cavity has been established as a safe and effective method of treatment of pericardial effusion; however, the risk factors affecting survival of these patients have not been clarified...
- Pericardial tamponade with a positive abdominal FAST scan in blunt chest traumaJulian Speight
Department of General Surgery, Whangarei Area Hospital, Whangarei, New Zealand
J Trauma 61:743-5; discussion 745. 2006
- Adenosine deaminase in the diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusionMaximiliano Arroyo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:227-9. 2008..deaminase level in the pericardial fluid was consistent with the probable diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusion. The patient was treated with resolution of the clinical syndrome and no recurrence of the effusion ..
- PericarditisRichard W Troughton
Department of Medicine, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Lancet 363:717-27. 2004..use of new imaging methods facilitates accurate detection and management of complications such as pericardial effusion or constriction...
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade originating from uterine carcinosarcomaShoko Shimizu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:373-5. 2009..Cardiac tamponade caused by gynecologic malignancies are extremely rare...
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade in endometrial adenocarcinomaP Kheterpal
Department of Medicine, Lincoln Mental and Medical Health Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Gynecol Oncol 83:143-5. 2001Malignant pericardial effusion as a complication of gynecological cancers is a rare occurrence. A review of the literature revealed only two cases of pericardial effusion secondary to endometrial adenocarcinoma...
- A rare case of massive pericardial effusion secondary to hypothyroidismShang Lin Chou
Emergency Department, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Emerg Med 28:293-6. 2005..The case of a patient presenting with a relatively asymptomatic massive pericardial effusion due to hypothyroidism is described...
- Malignant pericardial effusion with metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma: discordance between ThinPrep and cell-block cytopreparationJonathan L Curry
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60513, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 29:270. 2003
- [Hemorrhagic nonspecific pericardial effusion as an initial symptom of angiosarcoma of the right heart]T Fortmann
Klinik für Kardiologie Angiologie am Zentrum für Innere Medizin, Klinikum Lüdenscheid, Paulmannshöher Str 14, 58515 Lüdenscheid, Germany
Z Kardiol 93:807-12. 2004..In addition she suffered from physical asthenia. Seven months ago the patient was treated for symptomatic pericardial effusion in our clinic.
- Pericardial effusion in atrial fibrillation ablation: a comparison between cryoballoon and radiofrequency pulmonary vein isolationGian Battista Chierchia
Heart Rhythm Management Centre, UZ Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Europace 12:337-41. 2010Atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation is increasingly being performed in electrophysiology laboratories. Pericardial effusion (PE) is certainly one of the most frequently observed complications during AF ablation...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug treatment for postoperative pericardial effusion: a multicenter randomized, double-blind trialPhilippe Meurin
Les Grands Prés, 27 rue Sainte Christine, 77174 Villeneuve Saint Denis, France
Ann Intern Med 152:137-43. 2010The incidence of asymptomatic pericardial effusion is high after cardiac surgery. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are widely prescribed in this setting, but no study has assessed their efficacy.
- Congenital left ventricular aneurysm with pericardial effusion: prenatal diagnosis, surgical management and follow-upJ R Sharma
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Lincoln Medical Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10451, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 23:458-61. 2002
- Focused cardiac ultrasound in the emergent setting: a consensus statement of the American Society of Echocardiography and American College of Emergency PhysiciansArthur J Labovitz
St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 23:1225-30. 2010..In the emergency department, focused cardiac ultrasound has become a fundamental tool to expedite the diagnostic evaluation of the patient at the bedside and to initiate emergent treatment and triage decisions by the emergency physician...
- A child with pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidismSrinath Sanda
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:1411-3. 2007..Hispanic girl without overt symptoms of hypothyroidism who presented with early cardiac tamponade from pericardial effusion due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidism...
- Polycystin function in zebrafish (PA-06-158)Iain A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2013..a variety of ADPKD pathologies including cystic kidney disease, vascular aneurysm, abdominal wall hernia, pericardial effusion, and defects in chondrogenesis...
- IMMUNOMODULATION OF RETROVIRAL CARDIOPATHOLOGYRONALD WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract) Pericardial effusion, cardiomyopathy, and left ventricular dysfunction are prevalent in patients with AIDS...
- QUANTIFICATION OF INTRATHORACIC FLUID BY IMPEDANCELee Baker; Fiscal Year: 1980..for assessing respired volume, cardiac output, and intrathoracic fluid accumulation (pleural effusion, pericardial effusion, and pulmonary edema)...
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Diastolic Dysfunction & Atrial Fibrillation in ElderlyTERESA TSANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of the cascade of factors contributing to AF development will have important implications in primary prevention of this major public health problem. ..
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Microenvironmental mechanisms of leukemia cell survivalRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, we will share this data with Dr. Tom Look at the Dana Farber Cancer Center in order to correlate his genetic findings in his T-ALL Zebra fish model with our human studies. ..
- Multiplex Screening for ABC Transporter InhibitorsRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neutralizing Compounds for Viral Hemorrhagic FeverRichard Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Access Paths for Sodium-Channel Blocking AntiarrhythmicsPeter Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..The University of Chicago, an institution of international prominence in medical and basic science provides a rigorous academic environment with extensive resources for fostering a successful academic career. ..
- Metabolism-excitation coupling in the heartColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..The work will provide information that will ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac ischemia and arrhythmias. ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ANTIFIBRILLATORY MECHANISMS OF INTRAPERICARDIAL AGENTSRICHARD VERRIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the proposed studies could lead to improved therapeutic approaches for suppression of life-threatening arrhythmias. ..
- Randomized trial of doxorubicin beads for arterial embolization of hepatocellularKaren Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study is designed to determine the incremental value of arterial chemotherapy, as well as to validate an automated imaging method of assessing response to treatment. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Polycystins in the Regulation of Intracellular Calcium and Vascular RQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information gained from the proposed study will greatly enhance our understanding in the pathogenesis of vascular complications in ADPKD and provide potential areas for therapeutic targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Extracranial Stereotactic Radioablation in Lung CancerRonald McGarry; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Vascular Complications of Polycystic Kidney DiseaseQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..This period of laboratory based study, plus the formalized career development program, is designed to train the candidate as a physician scientist with a unique expertise in vascular aspects of ADPKD. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..