Genomes and Genes
Summary: Narrowing of the lumen of the aorta, caused by deformity of the aortic media.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Palliative stent implantation for aortic coarctation in premature infants weighing <1,500 gWolfgang A K Radtke
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Am J Cardiol 90:1409-12. 2002
- Reoperation and coarctation of the aorta: the need for lifelong surveillanceC Manganas
The New Children s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1222-4. 2001We report a series of reoperations in 23 patients who had undergone previous aortic coarctation repair.
- Effects of aortic coarctation on aortic antioxidant enzymes and NADPH oxidase protein expressionRam K Sindhu
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, 92697, USA
Life Sci 76:945-53. 2005Abdominal aortic coarctation above the renal arteries leads to severe hypertension above the stenotic site and provides a model for simultaneous testing of the effects of increased and decreased pressure and consequently shear stress in ..
- The influence of different surgical approaches on arterial rigidity in children after aortic coarctation repairPier Paolo Bassareo
Department of Cardiovascular and Neurologic Sciences, University of Cagliari, Policlinico Universitario, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Pediatr Cardiol 30:414-8. 2009..or secondary hypertension, probably related to the loss of arterial elasticity, frequently occur after aortic coarctation surgery...
- Late complications in patients after repair of aortic coarctation: implications for managementJoris W J Vriend
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cardiol 101:399-406. 2005Survival of patients with aortic coarctation has dramatically improved after surgical repair became available and the number of patients who were operated and reach adulthood is steadily increasing...
- Modeling the impact of concomitant aortic stenosis and coarctation of the aorta on left ventricular workloadZ Keshavarz-Motamed
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
J Biomech 44:2817-25. 2011..This model can be used to optimize the management of patients with COA and AS in terms of the sequence of lesion repair...
- Comparison of surgical, stent, and balloon angioplasty treatment of native coarctation of the aorta: an observational study by the CCISC (Congenital Cardiovascular Interventional Study Consortium)Thomas J Forbes
Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:2664-74. 2011..The purpose of this study was to compare the safety and efficacy of surgical, stent, and balloon angioplasty (BA) treatment of native coarctation acutely and at follow-up...
- Aortic arch shape deformation after coarctation surgery: effect on blood pressure responsePhalla Ou
INSERM UMR_S678, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:1105-11. 2006..We sought to investigate the effect of particular deformations of aortic arch shape on blood pressure response in children who had undergone successful repair of coarctation of the aorta...
- Major vascular anomalies in Turner syndrome: prevalence and magnetic resonance angiographic featuresVincent B Ho
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Rd, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Circulation 110:1694-700. 2004Turner syndrome (TS) is associated with aortic coarctation and dissection; hence, echocardiographic evaluation of all patients is currently recommended...
- Improved measurement of pressure gradients in aortic coarctation by magnetic resonance imagingJ N Oshinski
Department of Radiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 28:1818-26. 1996This study evaluated whether magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic resonance (MR) phase velocity mapping could provide accurate estimates of stenosis severity and pressure gradients in aortic coarctation.
- Transverse arch hypoplasia may predispose patients to aneurysm formation after patch repair of aortic coarctationThomas S Maxey
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1090-3. 2003Thoracic aortic aneurysm after patch repair of aortic coarctation is a potentially lethal complication. We hypothesized that transverse arch hypoplasia in association with patch repair of aortic coarctation predisposes aneurysm formation.
- Recurrent coarctation: is surgical repair of recurrent coarctation of the aorta safe and effective?John W Brown
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, James W Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5123, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1923-30; discussion 1930-1. 2009..We reviewed our experience with surgical repair of recurrent coarctation of the aorta and compared it with our institutional experience with balloon aortoplasty...
- Heterogeneity of ventricular repolarization in newborns with severe aortic coarctationGerardo Nigro
Second University of Naples, Monaldi Hospital, Naples, Italy
Pediatr Cardiol 33:302-6. 2012Sudden death is a possible occurrence for newborns younger than 1 year with severe aortic coarctation (CoA) before surgical correction...
- Doppler echocardiographic profile and indexes in the evaluation of aortic coarctation in patients before and after stentingJu Le Tan
Adult Congenital Heart Disease Unit, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:1045-53. 2005We sought to assess the effect of successful stenting on the Doppler profile of aortic coarctation and to identify echocardiographic indexes that could be used for follow-up of such patients.
- Ambulatory blood pressure, left ventricular mass, and conduit artery function late after successful repair of coarctation of the aortaMarcello de Divitiis
Vascular Physiology Unit, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust and the Institute of Child Health, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:2259-65. 2003....
- Prevalence of hypertension in children after early repair of coarctation of the aorta: a cohort study using casual and 24 hour blood pressure measurementJ J O'Sullivan
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Heart 88:163-6. 2002..To study the prevalence of hypertension in a cohort of patients using the current strategy of repair in early childhood...
- Angular (Gothic) aortic arch leads to enhanced systolic wave reflection, central aortic stiffness, and increased left ventricular mass late after aortic coarctation repair: evaluation with magnetic resonance flow mappingPhalla Ou
INSERM UMR_S678, CHU la Pitié Salpétrière, Paris, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:62-8. 2008We sought to investigate the mechanism whereby a particular deformity of the aortic arch, an angulated Gothic shape, might lead to hypertension late after anatomically successful repair of aortic coarctation.
- Increased central aortic stiffness and left ventricular mass in normotensive young subjects after successful coarctation repairPhalla Ou
Department of Pediatric Radiology, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, University Rene Descartes Paris 5, Paris, France
Am Heart J 155:187-93. 2008Hypertension occurs in 20% to 40% of survivors of anatomically successful repair of aortic coarctation (CoA). The aim of the present study was to examine the role of central aortic function in this setting.
- Diagnostic and surgical trends, and epidemiology of coarctation of the aorta in a population-based studyV Grech
Paediatric Department, St Luke s Hospital, Guardamangia, Malta
Int J Cardiol 68:197-202. 1999..In conclusion, in Malta, coarctation of the aorta has been diagnosed and treated safely, at progressively younger ages, and this has been attributed to improving medical services over the period under study...
- Late systemic hypertension and aortic arch geometry after successful repair of coarctation of the aortaPhalla Ou
Cardiologie Pediatrique, Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, AP HP, 149, rue de Sevres, 75015 Paris, France
Eur Heart J 25:1853-9. 2004..To investigate the role of the geometry of the aortic arch in resting hypertension after successful repair of coarctation (CoA)...
- Results and mid-long-term follow-up of stent implantation for native and recurrent coarctation of the aortaMassimo Chessa
Pediatric Cardiology Department and Adult with Congenital Heart Disease, GUCH Unit, Policlinico San Donato, San Donato M se, Milan, Italy
Eur Heart J 26:2728-32. 2005..In the last decades, stent implantation has been proposed as a reliable option for the treatment of coarctation of the aorta. In this setting, it seems to have some advantages, rendering it superior to angioplasty alone...
- Acute and intermediate outcomes, and evaluation of injury to the aortic wall, as based on 15 years experience of implanting stents to treat aortic coarctationAthar M Qureshi
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cardiol Young 17:307-18. 2007Stenting for aortic coarctation has been shown to be effective in the short term...
- Repair of aortic coarctation using temporary ascending to descending aortic bypass in children with poor collateral circulationJan T Christenson
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Cardiol Young 14:39-45. 2004b>Aortic coarctation can now be repaired surgically with excellent results. Even though rare, injury to the spinal cord resulting in paraplegia remains a major concern...
- A new approach for the evaluation of the severity of coarctation of the aorta using Doppler velocity index and effective orifice area: in vitro validation and clinical implicationsZ Keshavarz-Motamed
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
J Biomech 45:1239-45. 2012..As a conclusion, COA Doppler velocity index and COA effective orifice area are flow independent and do not depend on aortic valve conditions. They can, then, more accurately predict the severity of COA...
- Scoliosis in patients with aortic coarctation and patent ductus arteriosus: does standard posterolateral thoracotomy play a role in the development of the lateral curve of the spine?Marek Roclawski
Department of Orthopaedics, Medical University of Gdansk, Nowe Ogrody 1 6, 80 803 Gdansk, Poland
Pediatr Cardiol 30:941-5. 2009..The rate of scoliosis after thoracotomy is higher in male than female patients, especially after thoracotomy for PDA...
- Infective endocarditis-endarteritis complicating coarctation of the aortaCarlos Franco-Paredes
Am J Med 112:590-2. 2002
- Surgical treatment of atypical aortic coarctation complicating Takayasu's arteritis--experience with 33 cases over 44 yearsTsuyoshi Taketani
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Division of Vascular Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
J Vasc Surg 41:597-601. 2005This study was conducted to evaluate the long-term outcomes of surgical treatment for atypical aortic coarctation due to Takayasu's arteritis and to elucidate the factors that affected outcome.
- [Endovascular treatment of long-term complications following surgical repair of aortic coarctation]Pablo Garcia-Pavia
Servicio de Cardiología Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro Madrid España
Rev Esp Cardiol 63:473-7. 2010Surgical treatment of aortic coarctation has a high success rate. However, irrespective of the surgical technique used, a significant percentage of patients develop late complications affecting the aortic wall...
- Effectiveness and safety of balloon dilation of native aortic coarctation in premature neonates weighing < or = 2,500 gramsAbraham Rothman
Children s Heart Center Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Am J Cardiol 105:1176-80. 2010..Some patients will have a successful long-term result after a single balloon dilation procedure. However, restenosis is common and tends to develop rapidly...
- MR findings of collateral circulation are more accurate measures of hemodynamic significance than arm-leg blood pressure gradient after repair of coarctation of the aortaPhilip A Araoz
Department of Radiology, University of California at San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 17:177-83. 2003....
- Endovascular stent placement is an acceptable alternative to reoperation in selected infants with residual or recurrent aortic arch obstructionJamie Bentham
Department of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 76:852-9. 2010..To describe endovascular stent placement in infants as a technically feasible option in circumstances where surgery is considered less favorable...
- Computational simulations for aortic coarctation: representative results from a sampling of patientsJohn F LaDisa
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA
J Biomech Eng 133:091008. 2011..These results apply CFD to a range of CoA patients for the first time and provide the foundation for future progress in this area...
- Outcome after extended arch repair for aortic coarctationJ D R Thomson
Department of Congenital Cardiology, Yorkshire Heart Centre, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Heart 92:90-4. 2006..To assess survival and long term arch patency rates in a consecutive group of children after extended arch repair for coarctation of the aorta...
- Association between fetal lymphedema and congenital cardiovascular defects in Turner syndromeMelissa L Loscalzo
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 115:732-5. 2005..is associated with congenital cardiovascular defects (CCVDs), most commonly bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) and aortic coarctation (COARC), congenital renal anomalies, and fetal lymphedema...
- Repair of coarctation of the aorta in infants weighing less than 2 kilogramsCatherine D Sudarshan
Cardiac Surgery Unit, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 82:158-63. 2006We retrospectively reviewed our experience in aortic coarctation repair on infants weighing less than 2 kg to evaluate the results and assess the rate of recoarctation in this group of patients.
- Aortic arch geometry and exercise-induced hypertension in aortic coarctationEnrico De Caro
Cardiovascular Department, Scientific Directorate, Istituto Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Am J Cardiol 99:1284-7. 2007Hypertension at rest or during effort is not uncommon in patients with aortic coarctation (CoA), even those with a successful repair or mild degree of obstruction...
- Coarctation repair in neonates and young infants: is small size or low weight still a risk factor?Phillip T Burch
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Primary Children s Medical Center and the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:547-52. 2009..This study assesses the effect of patient size on reintervention and survival in neonates and infants undergoing repair of simple aortic coarctation.
- Severe aortic coarctation in infants less than 3 months: successful palliation by balloon angioplastyP Syamasundar Rao
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, UT Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin, Suite 3 132, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Invasive Cardiol 15:202-8. 2003The optimal management strategy of the neonate and young infant with native aortic coarctation (AC) is controversial...
- Factors affecting long-term risk of aortic arch recoarctation after the Norwood procedureTraci M Ashcraft
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Heart Center, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1397-401; discussion 1401-2. 2008..The purpose of this study was to identify factors predicting risk of aortic arch recoarctation after the Norwood procedure...
- Extended resection and end-to-end anastomosis for aortic coarctation in infants: results of a tailored surgical approachGail E Wright
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1453-9. 2005The surgical repair of aortic coarctation in infants has evolved over time. This study evaluates our current approach utilizing extended end-to-end anastomosis without prosthetic material to enlarge all areas of aortic arch hypoplasia.
- Mortality and restenosis rate of surgical coarctation repair in infancy: a study of 191 patientsAlfred Hager
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Cardiology 112:36-41. 2009This is a retrospective cross-sectional study to analyze mortality and the rate of restenosis in the follow-up of patients after surgical repair of isolated aortic coarctation in infancy.
- Impact of re-coarctation following the Norwood operation on survival in the balloon angioplasty eraIlana Zeltser
Division of Cardiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1844-8. 2005..The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of balloon angioplasty (BA) by comparing the immediate and long-term outcomes of patients with and without re-coarctation after a Norwood procedure...
- Comparison of surgical and transcatheter treatment for native coarctation of the aorta in patients > or = 1 year old. The Quebec Native Coarctation of the Aorta studyJosep Rodes-Cabau
Quebec Heart Institute Laval Hospital, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Am Heart J 154:186-92. 2007..The objectives of this study were to compare, in the current era, the immediate results, complications, and midterm outcomes obtained by surgical repair versus transcatheter treatment of coarctation of the aorta (CoA)...
- MR imaging of aortic coarctationF Secchi
Servizio di Radiologia, Dipartimento di Scienze Medico Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Milano, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, Via Morandi 30, 20097, San Donato Milanese, Italy
Radiol Med 114:524-37. 2009b>Aortic coarctation accounts for 5%-10% of all congenital heart diseases and represents 7% of critically ill infants with heart disease...
- Chemical suppression of a genetic mutation in a zebrafish model of aortic coarctationRandall T Peterson
Nat Biotechnol 22:595-9. 2004..grl, affecting the gene hey2) disrupts aortic blood flow in a region and physiological manner akin to aortic coarctation in humans...
- Abdominal aortic coarctation: surgical treatment of 53 patients with a thoracoabdominal bypass, patch aortoplasty, or interposition aortoaortic graftJames C Stanley
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5867, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:1073-82. 2008Abdominal aortic coarctation is uncommon and often complicated with coexisting splanchnic and renal artery occlusive disease...
- Perioperative course in 118 infants and children undergoing coarctation repair via a thoracotomy: a prospective, multicenter experienceSarah Tabbutt
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, The Cardiac Center, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:1229-36. 2008....
- Risk factors for aortic complications in adults with coarctation of the aortaJose Maria Oliver
Adult Congenital Heart Disease Unit, Radiology Department, La Paz University Hospital, Castellana 261, 28046 Madrid, Spain
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1641-7. 2004..We sought to determine the prevalence and predisposing condition for aortic wall complications in adults with either repaired or non-repaired coarctation of the aorta...
- Subclavian flap repair: review of 399 patients at median follow-up of fourteen yearsRagini Pandey
Department of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Royal Liverpool Children s NHS Trust, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1420-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to assess the results of subclavian flap aortoplasty (SFA) alone, performed on 399 patients in a single institute between 1966 and 1995...
- Intermediate term follow-up of the end-to-side aortic anastomosis for coarctation of the aortaAdel K Younoszai
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University of California San Francisco, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1631-4. 2002..By connecting the descending aorta to the proximal aortic arch, the end-to-side aortic anastomosis isolates hypoplastic distal arch and encroaching ductal tissue from the anastomotic site...
- Endovascular stent-graft repair of late pseudoaneurysms after surgery for aortic coarctationBurkhart Zipfel
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 91:85-91. 2011..We analyzed the potential of endovascular stent grafts to treat late aortic pseudoaneurysms after coarctation repair...
- Underrecognition of elevated blood pressure readings in children after early repair of coarctation of the aortaChristopher Gillett
Bristol Congenital Heart Centre, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, Bristol, BS6 7UB, UK
Pediatr Cardiol 32:202-5. 2011..When elevated BP is documented, in all cases no recorded action was taken. This may have significant implications for cardiovascular outcomes in this cohort of patients...
- Complex aortic coarctation and PHACE syndromeFredy Prada
Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 63:1367-70. 2010..We report our findings in four patients with this syndrome, in whom it was characterized by complex aortic coarctation that required not only preoperative echocardiographic investigation, but also the use of techniques such as ..
- Multimodal neuromonitoring in a patient with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage associated with aortic coarctationRaimund Helbok
Neurological Intensive Care Unit, Clinical Department of Neurology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Neurocrit Care 14:433-7. 2011b>Aortic coarctation (AC) rarely remains undiagnosed until adulthood. Intracranial aneurysms and spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) are more frequent in patients with AC than in the general population.
- Reverse subclavian flap repair of hypoplastic transverse aorta in infancyK R Kanter
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1530-6. 2001..Management of hypoplastic aortic arch associated with coarctation in infancy can be challenging. Reverse subclavian flap aortoplasty plus coarctation resection offers simplicity without needing foreign material or cardiopulmonary bypass...
- Aortic hemodynamics in patients with and without repair of aortic coarctation: in vivo analysis by 4D flow-sensitive magnetic resonance imagingAlex Frydrychowicz
Department of Radiology, Medical Physics, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
Invest Radiol 46:317-25. 2011..purpose of this study was to characterize hemodynamic alterations and flow-derived vessel wall parameters in aortic coarctation (CoA) patients with and without operative repair by time-resolved, 3-dimensional, and 3-directional velocity ..
- Partial anomalous left pulmonary artery along with aortic coarctation in an infant with Kabuki syndromeAarti H Bhat
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Seattle Children s Hospital, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Echocardiography 29:E145-7. 2012..While coarctation and hypoplastic left heart syndrome are observed in this syndrome, this is the second reported case of aLPA in KS and the first with the forme fruste of left-sided obstruction as well as aLPA in this group of patients...
- Abnormal responses for blood pressure in children and adults with surgically corrected aortic coarctationM Hauser
Deutsches Herzzentrum, Department of Paediatric Cardiology, Munich, Germany
Cardiol Young 10:353-7. 2000Despite successful surgical repair of aortic coarctation, life expectancy is reduced, and up to one-third of patients remain or become hypertensive...
- Factors associated with subsequent arch reintervention after initial balloon aortoplasty in patients with Norwood procedure and arch obstructionDiego Porras
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:868-76. 2011....
- Usefulness of exercise-induced hypertension as predictor of chronic hypertension in adults after operative therapy for aortic isthmic coarctation in childhoodPaul Luijendijk
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Cardiol 108:435-9. 2011....
- Prediction of recurrent coarctation by early postoperative blood pressure gradientT K Susheel Kumar
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 142:1130-6, 1136.e1. 2011..To define the predictive reliability of blood pressure gradients between arms and legs and to identify predictors of arch growth, we undertook a retrospective study...
- Functional null mutations in the gonosomal homologue gene TBL1Y are associated with non-syndromic coarctation of the aortaA Tagariello
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Erlangen, Schwabachanlage 10, Erlangen, D 91054, Germany
Curr Mol Med 12:199-205. 2012..Several studies have shown that Notch signalling is important for proper development of the left ventricular outflow tract. Our findings suggest that TBL1Y is involved in the genesis of non-syndromic coarctation of the aorta...
- Computational simulations demonstrate altered wall shear stress in aortic coarctation patients treated by resection with end-to-end anastomosisJohn F LaDisa
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Marquette University, Children s Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin, 1515 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 6:432-43. 2011..Resection with end-to-end anastomosis (RWEA) is the gold standard for coarctation of the aorta (CoA) repair, but may lead to altered WSS indices that contribute to morbidity...
- Late outcomes of reintervention on the descending aorta after repair of aortic coarctationMorgan L Brown
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 122:S81-4. 2010After repair of aortic coarctation, patients may develop restenosis, aneurysms, and pseudoaneurysms at the site of prior repair. We assessed the outcomes of late reintervention on the descending aorta after aortic coarctation repair.
- Noninvasive diagnosis of aortic coarctation in neonates with patent ductus arteriosusChun Wei Lu
Department of Pediatrics, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, National Taiwan University, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, 100 Taipei, Taiwan
J Pediatr 148:217-21. 2006..To find a noninvasive method to detect coarctation of the aorta (CoA) in the presence of a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in neonates...
- Echocardiographic indices of Doppler flow patterns compared with MRI or angiographic measurements to detect significant coarctation of the aortaD Scott Lim
Departmetn of Pediatric Cardiology, Michigan Congenital Heart Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Echocardiography 19:55-60. 2002..Systolic measurements of velocity or pressure half-times are not adequate to assess severity of CoA...
- Selective use of left heart bypass for aortic coarctationAndrew C Fiore
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:851-6; discussion 856-7. 2010We evaluated left heart bypass (LHB) for spinal cord protection during aortic coarctation repair in patients with mild (primary, postsurgical, or intervention) and complex coarctation.
- Comparison of surgical and interventional therapy of native and recurrent aortic coarctation regarding different age groups during childhoodSeraina Früh
Division of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery, University Children s Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 39:898-904. 2011..rate of complications and re-interventions during medium-term outcome in pediatric patients with native or recurrent aortic coarctation. We focused on an age-related therapeutic approach comparing surgical and trans-catheter treatment.
- Coarctation of the aorta presenting as cerebral hemorrhagePetra Susanne Mehwald
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital, Freiburg, Germany
J Pediatr 146:293. 2005
- Carotid-subclavian artery index: new echocardiographic index to detect coarctation in neonates and infantsAli Dodge-Khatami
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1652-7. 2005..A reliable noninvasive screening tool for coarctation would be useful for these patients...
- Validation of two echocardiographic indexes to improve the diagnosis of complex coarctationsYvan Mivelaz
Paediatric Cardiology, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases Centre, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 34:1051-6. 2008..It is highly suggestive of a coarctation when it is <1.5. The I/D ratio defined as the diameter of the isthmus to the diameter of the descending aorta, suggests an aortic coarctation when it is less than 0.64.
- Pseudoaneurysm complicating aortic coarctation in a pregnant womanPablo Avanzas
Int J Cardiol 97:157-8. 2004
- Polysplenia/heterotaxy syndrome associated with aortic coarctation and multiple venous anomalies: multidetector computed tomography findingsAysegul Karadeniz
Department of Radiology, Dr Siyami Ersek Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Vasc Endovascular Surg 44:381-4. 2010..We present a previously unreported association of aortic coarctation, double superior vena cava, a left-hand side inferior vena cava with hemiazygos vein continuation and a ..
- Increased hypothalamic angiotensin-(1-7) levels in rats with aortic coarctation-induced hypertensionMariela M Gironacci
Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Peptides 28:1580-5. 2007..angiotensin (Ang) (1-7) injected into the brain blocked Ang II pressor actions in rats made hypertensive by aortic coarctation (CH), we examined systemic and tissue angiotensin peptide levels, specifically concentrating on the ..
- The results of catheter-based therapy compared with surgical repair of adult aortic coarctationJohn Alfred Carr
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1101-7. 2006..the results of endovascular therapy (stenting and angioplasty) with surgical techniques to repair adult aortic coarctation. The immediate improvement in hypertension and the morbidity were similar across all groups...
- Stents for correction of aortic coarctation in adultsAna M Teixeira
Serviço de Cardiologia Pediátrica do Hospital de Santa Cruz, Carnaxide, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 24:1559-63. 2005
- Aortic coarctation endarteritis and aneurysm: diagnosis by transoesophageal echocardiographyJ R Skinner
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, U K
Int J Cardiol 34:216-8. 1992..developed infective endarteritis, caused by Staphylococcus aureus, at the site of a previously undiagnosed aortic coarctation. Transoesophageal echocardiography revealed a clinically unsuspected false aneurysm...
- Technique of interventional repair in adult aortic coarctationStephan Kische
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Rostock, Germany
J Vasc Surg 51:1550-9. 2010Surgical treatment of aortic coarctation has increased life expectancy and reduced mortality...
- Successful long-term stenting of an atypical descending aortic coarctationDouglas Scott Keith
Northwest Kaiser Permanente, PC, 6902 SE Lake Road, Suite 100, Milwaukie, OR 97267, USA
J Vasc Surg 35:166-7. 2002..Patency of the stent and control of the hypertension at 2 and a half years suggest that endovascular treatment of atypical coarctation may be successful with the use of mechanical stents and may be an alternative to surgical correction...
- Left internal mammary artery atherosclerosis: twenty-three years after repair of aortic coarctationAhmad K Darwazah
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Makassed Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 86:1991-4. 2008..describe a case in which a 41-year-old man underwent coronary artery bypass surgery 23 years after repair of aortic coarctation. The diseased mammary artery was used to graft the left anterior descending coronary artery after ..
- Covered-stent implantation to treat aortic coarctationGianfranco Butera
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and GUCH Unit, Policlinico San Donato IRCCS, Via Morandi, 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Italy
Expert Rev Med Devices 9:123-30. 2012b>Aortic coarctation comprises approximately 7% of all known congenital heart defects...
- Left cervical aortic arch associated with aortic aneurysm, aortic coarctation, and branch artery aneurysm--a case report and reviewOsamu Tsukamoto
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Angiology 54:257-60. 2003..Although, in CAA, other cardiovascular abnormalities including aortic aneurysm and aortic coarctation are occasionally accompanied, coexistence of those 2 aortic abnormalities on the same patient is rare, and ..
- The fate of systemic blood pressure in patients after effectively stented coarctationAndreas Eicken
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Technische Universitat, Germany
Eur Heart J 27:1100-5. 2006..The current study was designed to assess midterm results of stent implantation into the aorta for native and recurrent coarctation (CoA) in children and young adults...
- Abdominal aortic pulsed wave Doppler patterns reliably reflect clinical severity in patients with coarctation of the aortaSuchaya Silvilairat
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 3:422-30. 2008..There are situations in which standard echocardiography does not adequately define the aortic arch. We sought to determine what additional information could be gained by analyzing abdominal aortic Doppler flows in coarctation...
- Limitations of Doppler echocardiography for the post-operative evaluation of aortic coarctationS De Mey
Hydraulics Laboratory, Institute of Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, St Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000, Ghent, Belgium
J Biomech 34:951-60. 2001..measurements and derived pressure differences, through the Bernoulli equation, are used in the diagnosis of aortic coarctation, a congenital stenosis distal to the left subclavian artery...
- Outcome of pregnancy in patients after repair of aortic coarctationJoris W J Vriend
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Room B2 240, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 26:2173-8. 2005Nowadays, most women born with aortic coarctation reach childbearing age. However, data on outcome of pregnancy in women after repair of aortic coarctation are scarce...
- Impact of genomic polymorphism on arterial hypertension after aortic coarctation repairAlfred Hager
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Int J Cardiol 151:63-8. 2011Even after repair of aortic coarctation without restenosis there is a high incidence of arterial hypertension...
- Muscle-sparing extrapleural approach for the repair of aortic coarctationHitendu Hasmukhlal Dave
Division of Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 81:243-8. 2006This paper describes a muscle-sparing, extrapleural approach to repair aortic coarctation, and evaluates the results with established standards.
- Aortic coarctation in the adult: management of complications and coexisting arterial abnormalities with hypothermic cardiopulmonary bypass and circulatory arrestChris K Rokkas
Heart Center, Missouri Baptist Medical Center, St Louis, MO, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 124:155-61. 2002Adult patients with aortic coarctation may have complications after childhood repair. Other adult patients have coarctation and aneurysms of the aorta and the left subclavian artery...
- A novel aortic coarctation model for studying hypertension in the pigTheresa W Fossum
Michael E DeBakey Institute for Comparative Cardiovascular Sciences and Biomedical Devices, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 4474, USA
J Invest Surg 16:35-44. 2003We have developed a reproducible renovascular model of hypertension via a controllable, suprarenal aortic coarctation in the pig...
- Velocity-encoded cine MR imaging in aortic coarctation: functional assessment of hemodynamic eventsJeffrey J Hom
Department of Radiology, Thoracic Imaging Section, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0628, L 325, 505 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
Radiographics 28:407-16. 2008..cine magnetic resonance (MR) imaging is becoming the modality of choice for the clinical evaluation of aortic coarctation, a congenital narrowing of the thoracic aorta, in which a functional assessment of hemodynamic obstruction ..
- Regional left ventricular myocardial shortening in normotensive patients late after aortic coarctation repair - normal or impaired?Mirosław Kowalski
Department of Congenital Heart Defects, Warsaw, Poland
Ultrasound Med Biol 35:1947-52. 2009Despite successful repair of aortic coarctation (AoC), changes in the left ventricular (LV) regional myocardial function are reported...
- Endarteritis and false aneurysm complicating aortic coarctationM Idir
Services de cardiologie, d Anatomo Pathologie, and de Chirurgie Cardiaque, Hopital Cardiologique, CHU de Bordeaux, Pessac, France
Ann Thorac Surg 70:966-8; discussion 968-9. 2000We report a tricky case of endocarditis because of the localization, aortic coarctation, and the pathogenic bacteria Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans...
- Delivery and assessment of endovascular stents to repair aortic coarctation using MR and X-ray imagingMaythem Saeed
Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, California 94143 0628, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 24:371-8. 2006To investigate the utility of MR and X-ray imaging for characterizing aortic coarctation and flow, and guiding the endovascular catheter to place a stent to repair the coarctation.
- Surgical treatment of atypical aortic coarctation associated with occlusion of all arch vessels in Takayasu's diseaseYuji Sugawara
First Department of Surgery, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:836-8. 2002We report a patient with Takayasu's disease surgically treated who had presented severe manifestation due to aortic coarctation associated with occlusion of all arch branches...
- [Balloon angioplasty for native aortic coarctation in children younger than 12 months: immediate and medium-term results]José Rafael Parra-Bravo
Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Servicio de Cardiología y Hemodinámica Pediátrica, Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 77:217-25. 2007The use of the balloon angioplasty (BA) in the treatment of patients with native aortic coarctation during childhood, particularly during the first 12 months of age, is controversial...
- Alteration of p66shc is associated with endothelial dysfunction in the abdominal aortic coarctation of ratsSang Ki Lee
Infection Signaling Network Research Center, Research Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, 6 Munhwa dong, Jung Gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 582:2561-6. 2008..investigated the endothelium-dependent relaxation, protein expression and superoxide production in abdominal aortic coarctation rats...
- One-stage repair of aortic coarctation and ascending aortic aneurysm by extra-anatomic graftGuido Gelpi
Cardiovascular Division, L Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 10:554-6. 2009..In our opinion, ascending-to-descending extra-anatomic graft is a good solution to treat these complicated cases...
- Two stage hybrid approach for complex aortic coarctation repairEfstratios Koletsis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
J Cardiothorac Surg 4:10. 2009Management of an adult patient with aortic coarctation and an associated cardiac pathology poses a great surgical challenge since there are no standard guidelines for the therapy of such complex pathology...
- Balloon angioplasty for native aortic coarctation in different anatomic variantsI El Sayed Massoud
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, National Heart Institute, Imbaba, Giza, Egypt
Pediatr Cardiol 29:521-9. 2008..of left ventricular dimension and function revealed significant improvement after balloon angioplasty of aortic coarctation in patients with the echocardiographic picture of hypertensive cardiomyopathy...
- Three-dimensional volume rendering with multislice computed tomography in the evaluation of Aortic coarctationFilippo Cademartiri
Department of Radiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Dr Molenwaterplein, 40 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ital Heart J 4:286-7. 2003
- Proactive Modulation of Strain for Ventricular RecoveryTHERESA FOSSUM; Fiscal Year: 2007..The animal studies will be conducted at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine by the PI and colleagues who have performed similar animal tests of early stage, assist devices. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Histo-Mechanics & Biology of Remodeling in HypertensionJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Using an externally controllable suprarenal aortic coarctation model, we will delineate between purely mechanical effects and those due to engaging the renin-angiotensin ..
- Structure & function of cardiac contractile proteinsJeffrey Robbins; Fiscal Year: 2004..of the rabbit heart to tolerate gradual increase in afterload, by inducing pressure-overload via trans-aortic coarctation soon after birth and allowing the animals to "grow into" the band during the adolescent and early adult ..
- Ribosome Biogenesis: A Molecular Checkpoint for Cardiac HypertrophyLawrence Rothblum; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found that in several models, including aortic coarctation, the amount of the rDNA transcription factor UBF increased in the cardiomyocytes...
- Quantifying altered hemodynamics in response to stenting for aortic coarctationJOHN LADISA; Fiscal Year: 2009..Stent implantation continues to emerge as a potential means of treating aortic coarctation, one of the most common forms of congenital heart disease...
- MYOCARDIAL INTEGRINS AND VENTRICULAR REMODELINGJOSEPH JANICKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Accordingly, this proposal will use a fistula model of chronic ventricular volume overload and an aortic coarctation model of pressure overload to examine cardiac function in the intact animal and at the cellular and ..
- IGF::OT::IGF SBIR Topic 079 Phase I- Bioabsorbable Stents for Pediatric PulmonaryMaria Palasis; Fiscal Year: 2013..performance of the proposed biodegradablestents in the intended use for pulmonary artery stenosis and aortic coarctation, taking into account mechanicalstrength required for the application;geometry of the access vessels and ..
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BIOLOGY OF CARDIAC INTERSTITIUMAllen Samarel; Fiscal Year: 1993..and during the development of thyroxine-induced LV hypertrophy, and LV hypertrophy following abdominal aortic coarctation. Specific monoclonal antibody probes will also be developed for use in studies of procollagen polypeptide ..
- HEART DEVELOPMENT AND GENETICSMark Fishman; Fiscal Year: 2002..These genes will be of importance as candidate genes for congenital vascular disorders such as aortic coarctation. It will also be of importance to examine these developmental pathways in the context of adult vessel injury,..
- Influence of blood pressure on PAD distributionSean Newcomer; Fiscal Year: 2007..To address these aims, a model of aortic coarctation will be utilized to induce a blood pressure gradient similar but opposite to that of an upright human...
- Multidisciplinary Study of Right Ventricular DysplasiaJeffrey Towbin; Fiscal Year: 2005..This integrated research grant proposal offers a substantial prospect of expanding the fund of clinical knowledge regarding ARVD and of localizing the gene(s) responsible for this disorder. ..
- Hypertension and Collagen: Effect of Ac-SDKPNour Eddine Rhaleb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Consequently, it will identify another component (Ac-SDKP) as part of the multiple mediators participating in the cardioprotective effects of ACEi in hypertension. ..
- Ventricular Size and Valve Calcification Measures by CTMatthew J Budoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- The Cardiac Atlas Project: Establishment of a Cardiac MRI Database.ALISTAIR ANDREW YOUNG; Fiscal Year: 2010..By pooling data from many studies into a single resource, researchers will be able to perform standardized comparisons across many patient groups, in order to better predict and evaluate the effects of disease and treatment. ..
- FAMILIAL PATENT DUCTUS ARTERIOSUSBruce Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aside from illuminating one pathway toward the clinical endpoint of PDA, it will provide the starting place for identifying genes critical to ductal development that are activated by Char syndrome-related genes. ..
- Disease pathogenesis of Noonan syndrome and related disordersBruce Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2008..Next, a candidate gene approach will be used to identify additional NS gene(s). This will be coupled with the use of human multiplex NS kindreds without PTPN11 mutations. ..
- APOE Genotype and Sequelae of Infant Cardiac SurgeryJames Gaynor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cytoskeletal Basis of Ventricular ArrhythmiasMatteo Vatta; Fiscal Year: 2005..Identifying cytoskeletal mecahnisms involved in malignant arrhythmias, could lead to the design of novel drugs and the employment of therapeutic means, resulting in a better patients management. ..
- Genetics of Congenital Left-sided Heart DefectsKim McBride; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies will launch the applicant on an independent research career, providing a base on which to advance genetic analyses of CCVM with the aim to reduce their occurrence and provide new treatment opportunities. ..
- MR Guided Transendocardial Angiogenic AgentsMaythem Saeed; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mutant ZASP in Cytoskeletal Remodeling and ArrhythmiaMatteo Vatta; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, little is known about the role of Cypher/ZASP mutations in skeletal muscle, and we have suggested that Cypher/ZASP could be a candidate for orphan forms of muscular dystrophies. ..
- Extracellular Mechanisms For Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- High Dose Erythropoetin Neuroprotection Trial for Neonatal Cardiac SurgeryDean Andropoulos; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will show if babies that are given erythropoetin have fewer delays in development than babies that do not receive the drug. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..