Genomes and Genes
Summary: Infections with species in the genus PNEUMOCYSTIS, a fungus causing interstitial plasma cell pneumonia (PNEUMONIA, PNEUMOCYSTIS) and other infections in humans and other MAMMALS. Immunocompromised patients, especially those with AIDS, are particularly susceptible to these infections. Extrapulmonary sites are rare but seen occasionally.
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Search for primary infection by Pneumocystis carinii in a cohort of normal, healthy infantsS L Vargas
Program in Microbiology, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicus, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Clin Infect Dis 32:855-61. 2001..carinii in the community. Further investigation is needed to identify whether P. carinii causes overt respiratory disease in infants...
- Pneumocystis species, co-evolution and pathogenic powerCécile Marie Aliouat-Denis
Parasitology Mycology Laboratory, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, EA3609 Lille 2 University, IFR 142 Lille Pasteur Institute, France
Infect Genet Evol 8:708-26. 2008..A larger spectrum of Pneumocystis infections related to the heterogeneous level of immune defence found in natural populations, is, however, expected...
- Prevention of infection due to Pneumocystis spp. in human immunodeficiency virus-negative immunocompromised patientsMartin Rodriguez
Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, GRJ 504, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:770-82, table of contents. 2004..The risk for PCP varies based on individual immune defects, regional differences, and immunosuppressive regimens. Prophylactic strategies must be linked to an ongoing assessment of the patient's risk for disease...
- A cluster of Pneumocystis infections among renal transplant recipients: molecular evidence of colonized patients as potential infectious sources of Pneumocystis jiroveciiSolène Le Gal
LUBEM EA 3882, IFR 148, University of Brest, Brest, France
Clin Infect Dis 54:e62-71. 2012..jirovecii infection had been diagnosed in this unit since 2002. This outbreak was investigated by identifying P. jirovecii types and analyzing patient encounters...
- Pneumocystis infections: the iceberg?E Dei-Cas
Dept Microbiology of Ecosystems, Pasteur Institute of Lille, Lille and Faculty of Medicine and Regional University Hospital Centre, France
Med Mycol 38:23-32. 2000..patients can be latently infected with Pneumocystis and that immunocompetent hosts develop transient Pneumocystis infections. Pneumocystis organisms circulate in human populations, being able to infect hosts with diverse ..
- Association of primary Pneumocystis carinii infection and sudden infant death syndromeS L Vargas
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Clin Infect Dis 29:1489-93. 1999..The quantity of P. carinii cysts was small compared with the numbers seen in immunocompromised hosts with P. carinii pneumonitis. This study provides histological evidence that primary P. carinii infection is associated with SIDS...
- A new name (Pneumocystis jiroveci) for Pneumocystis from humansJames R Stringer
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:891-6. 2002..DNA sequence variation exists among samples of P. jiroveci, a feature that allows reexamination of the relationships between host and pathogen. Instead of lifelong latency, transient colonization may be the rule...
- Expression and complexity of the PRT1 multigene family of Pneumocystis cariniiH E Ambrose
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0524, USA
Microbiology 150:293-300. 2004..carinii derived from few progenitors and suggest that the regulation of this family is different from that governing expression of the MSG gene family...
- Pneumocystis and Trypanosoma cruzi: nomenclature and typificationsScott A Redhead
National Program on Environmental Health Biodiversity, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Central Experimental Farm, KW Neatby Building, 960 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C6, Canada
J Eukaryot Microbiol 53:2-11. 2006..The classification and nomenclature of Pneumocystis is reviewed and guidelines given for the publication of new species...
- Epidemiology and clinical significance of pneumocystis colonizationAlison Morris
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Infect Dis 197:10-7. 2008..We also evaluate the clinical significance of Pneumocystis colonization and its relationship to lung disease...
- Quantitative real-time polymerase chain-reaction assay allows characterization of pneumocystis infection in immunocompetent miceVibeke H Vestereng
Critical Care Medicine Department, Warren G Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1662, USA
J Infect Dis 189:1540-4. 2004..This approach should facilitate studies of anti-Pneumocystis immune mechanisms in healthy hosts and provide insights into the development of Pneumocystis pneumonia in immunodeficient hosts...
- Immune responses to Pneumocystis murina are robust in healthy mice but largely absent in CD40 ligand-deficient miceBeatriz Hernandez-Novoa
Critical Care Medicine Department, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, NIH, Building 10, Room 2C145, MSC 1662, Bethesda, MD 20892 1662, USA
J Leukoc Biol 84:420-30. 2008....
- Pneumocystis carinii infection in heart transplant recipients. Efficacy of a weekend prophylaxis scheduleP Munoz
Clinical Microbiology Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 76:415-22. 1997..Tolerance has been excellent. Heart transplant recipients are at a substantial risk of PCP pneumonia, which presents with an abrupt onset and a high mortality. Weekend TMP/SMX chemoprophylaxis was very effective at our institution...
- Aerosolized pentamidine as pneumocystis prophylaxis after bone marrow transplantation is inferior to other regimens and is associated with decreased survival and an increased risk of other infectionsM J Vasconcelles
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 6:35-43. 2000....
- Pneumocystis colonization, airway inflammation, and pulmonary function decline in acquired immunodeficiency syndromeKaren A Norris
Department of Immunology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Immunol Res 36:175-87. 2006..Information gained from these studies will lead to the development of interventions to prevent lung injury associated with Pc colonization and the development of HIV-associated COPD...
- Pneumocystis: not just pneumoniaJ Chad Peterson
Department of Infectious Disease, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0560, USA
Curr Opin Microbiol 8:393-8. 2005..Also, the role of Pneumocystis has been investigated as a possible co-morbidity factor...
- Long-term colonization with Pneumocystis jirovecii in hospital staffs: a challenge to prevent nosocomial pneumocystosisIsabelle Durand-Joly
EA 3609 Pasteur Institute of Lille, Lille, France
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:614-5. 2003
- High seroprevalence of Pneumocystis infection in Spanish childrenN Respaldiza
Research Unit, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Seville, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:1029-31. 2004..The data indicated a high seroprevalence of Pneumocystis infection in healthy Spanish children, thereby demonstrating that this pathogen is widespread in southern Spain...
- Transmission of Pneumocystis carinii DNA from a patient with P. carinii pneumonia to immunocompetent contact health care workersS L Vargas
Program in Microbiology, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Santiago
J Clin Microbiol 38:1536-8. 2000....
- Molecular diagnosis of Pneumocystis pneumoniaIsabelle Durand-Joly
Parasitology Mycology EA 3609, Lille 2 University Hospital Centre, France
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 45:405-10. 2005..This non-invasive procedure may reach 90%-sensitivity and has been used for monitoring the response to treatment in AIDS patients and for typing Pneumocystis isolates...
- Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in patients with AIDS in the inner city: a persistent and deadly opportunistic infectionIldefonso Tellez
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:192-7. 2008..Our findings suggest that despite the availability of HAART, PCP continues to cause a significant burden of disease among inner-city HIV-infected populations...
- Pneumocystis jiroveci isolates with dihydropteroate synthase mutations in patients with chronic bronchitisE Calderon
Department of Internal Medicine, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Seville, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:545-9. 2004....
- Proliferative interstitial pneumonia, Pneumocystis carinii infection, and immunodeficiency in an adult Paso Fino horseRobert P Franklin
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
J Vet Intern Med 16:607-11. 2002
- Images in medicine. Pneumocystis carinii choroiditisKing To
Ophthalmology Residency Program, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Med Health R I 85:134. 2002
- Pneumocystis melanins confer enhanced organism viabilityCrystal R Icenhour
Thoracic Diseases Research Unit, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Eukaryot Cell 5:916-23. 2006..These studies support our previous identification of Pneumocystis melanins across the genus, further characterize these Pneumocystis components, and demonstrate that melanins protect Pneumocystis from environmental stressors...
- Pneumocystis carinii carriage in immunocompromised patients with and without human immunodeficiency virus infectionTakashi Takahashi
Division of Infectious Diseases, Advanced Clinical Research Center, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Med Microbiol 51:611-4. 2002..None of these patients developed P. carinii pneumonia (PCP) within the follow-up period. BAL specimens from 10 immunocompetent patients with pulmonary disorders were negative for PCP by both staining and PCR assay...
- Mutations of Pneumocystis jirovecii dihydrofolate reductase associated with failure of prophylaxisAimable Nahimana
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 48, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4301-5. 2004..The results suggest that P. jirovecii populations may evolve under selective pressure from DHFR inhibitors, in particular pyrimethamine, and that DHFR mutations may contribute to P. jirovecii drug resistance...
- Contribution of T cell subsets to the pathophysiology of Pneumocystis-related immunorestitution diseaseSamir P Bhagwat
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L1256-66. 2006..In the absence of CD4(+) cells, CD8(+) T cells produced a nonprotective, pathological immune response. These data suggest that the interplay of CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells affects the ultimate outcome of PcP-related IRD...
- Therapeutic efficacies of GW471552 and GW471558, two new azasordarin derivatives, against pneumocystosis in two immunosuppressed-rat modelsElena Jimenez
GlaxoSmithKline, Technological Park of Madrid, Severo Ochoa 2, 28760 Tres Cantos, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2648-50. 2002..carinii cysts per gram of lung homogenate when administered at 1 mg/kg of body weight twice a day for 10 days. In a nude rat inoculation model, both compounds showed therapeutic efficacy at 0.25 mg/kg twice a day for 10 days...
- Pneumocystis colonization in HIV-infected patientsLaurence Huang
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Positive Health Program, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:616-7. 2003
- Historical perspective on Pneumocystis carinii infectionEnrique J Calderón-Sandubete
Department of Internal Medicine, Virgen del Rocio University Hospitals, Seville, Spain
Protist 153:303-10. 2002
- Establishment of rat model for Pneumocystis carinii infection and cloning of the surface glycoprotein A gene of Pneumocystis cariniiLi Si Ouyang
18th Corps of First Cadet Brigade, First Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 22:427-9. 2002..To establish a rat model for Pneumocystis carinii infection and to clone surface glycoprotein A (GpA) gene of Pneumocystis carini...
- Necrotizing vasculopathy of the CNS: case reportMartin Begemann
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City, NY, USA
J Neurooncol 72:191-3. 2005..Other organs such as liver, lung, and kidneys were spared. Necrotizing vasculopathy is a novel entity that should be considered in the differential diagnosis of PCNSL...
- Pneumocystis carinii: an updateGurdip S Sidhu
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 27:115-22. 2003..Clinically, several lines of evidence suggest the improbability of latent infection. Adult infections appear to be new infections, a fact that invites a new perspective on prevention...
- Dual infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Pneumocystis jiroveci Lymphadenitis in a Patient with HIV infection: case report and review of the literatureThana Khawcharoenporn
Department of Medicine, Thammasart University Hospital, Pratumthani, Thailand
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:1-5. 2006..Our review of the literature identified this as the first reported case of dual TB and PCP lymphadenitis in an HIV-infected host and highlights the potential limitations of TMP-SMX prophylaxis...
- Comparative genomics of Pneumocystis carinii with other protists: implications for life styleMelanie T Cushion
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0560, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 51:30-7. 2004....
- Seroprevalence of Pneumocystis human infection in southern SpainFrancisco J Medrano
Department of Internal Medicine, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Seville, Spain
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:649-50. 2003
- Summary of pneumocystis research presented at the 8th International Workshop on Opportunistic ProtistsAndrew H Limper
Thoracic Diseases Research Unit, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:602-4. 2003
- Dihydropteroate synthase (DHPS) genotyping by PCR-RFLP analysis of Pneumocystis jirovecii repeated isolates from HIV-infected patients: a preliminary studyMarina Célia Costa
Unidade de Protozoários Oportunistas VIH e Outras Protozooses, UPMM, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Lisboa, Portugal
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:607-8. 2003
- Pneumocystis 2006: summary of the research presented at the ninth International Workshop on Opportunistic ProtistsMelanie T Cushion
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 53:S80-4. 2006
- Pneumocystis is not a direct cause of sudden infant death syndromeSergio L Vargas
Programa de Microbiología Instituto de Ciencias Biomédicas, Facultad de Medicina Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:81-3. 2007..Cysts were identified in 33% of SIDS cases and 29% of controls. We conclude that Pneumocystis is not a direct cause of SIDS...
- Fitness of cell-mediated immunity independent of repertoire diversityMouhammed AbuAttieh
Transplantation Biology Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Immunol 178:2950-60. 2007..QM mice also resisted Pneumocystis murina like wild-type mice. Thus, cell-mediated immunity can function normally despite contractions of TCR diversity >90% and possibly >99%...
- Epidemiology of Pneumocystis colonization in familiesLaShonda Spencer
Maternal Child and Adolescent Center for Infectious Diseases and Virology, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Will Rogers Institute Pulmonary Research Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1237-40. 2008..Using nested polymerase chain reaction of oropharyngeal or nasopharyngeal samples, we detected colonization in 11.4% of HIV-infected adults and in 3.3% of their children, but there was no evidence of clustering...
- Botryomycosis caused by Staphylococcus aureus and Pneumocystis carinii in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency diseaseP Saadat
Department of Dermatology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:266-9. 2008..We report a case of cutaneous botryomycosis caused by combined Staphylococcus aureus and Pneumocystis carinii. Cutaneous P. carinii infection without pulmonary involvement is extremely rare...
- Pneumocystis carinii: genetic diversity and cell biologyA G Smulian
Infectious Disease Division, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Fungal Genet Biol 34:145-54. 2001..These advances in our understanding of the biology of this organism should provide for future studies leading to the control of this opportunistic pathogen...
- [An evaluation of the occurrence of pneumocystis infection through examination of pharyngeal and oral swabs using the nested PCR method]Elzbieta Gołab
Zakład Parazytologii Lekarskiej PZH w Warszawie
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 58:371-6. 2006..The developed method offers a possibility of safe diagnosis of pneumocystosis in patients whose clinical status precludes collection of BAL through bronchoscopy...
- Preservation of clonal heterogeneity of the Pneumocystis carinii-specific CD4 T cell repertoire in HIV infected, asymptomatic individualsG Li Pira
Unit of Viral Immunology, Advanced Biotechnology Centre, Genoa, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 128:155-62. 2002..These findings suggest a horizontal, rather than vertical, depletion in these asymptomatic patients...
- Molecular and serological evidence of Pneumocystis circulation in a social organization of healthy macaques (Macaca fascicularis)Christine Demanche
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA UPVM Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort, France
Microbiology 151:3117-25. 2005..However, the implication of the various members of the colony was probably different and several levels of colonization by Pneumocystis may occur in immunocompetent macaques...
- Diagnostic yield of bronchoalveolar lavage following renal transplantationF Reichenberger
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Transpl Infect Dis 3:2-7. 2001..Infection with CMV and PC should also be considered beyond 6 months after transplantation, and prophylaxis for opportunistic infections should be given if the immunosuppression is intensified...
- Identification of Pneumocystis carinii in the lungs of infants dying of sudden infant death syndromeD J Morgan
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:306-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that a possible link between some cases of SIDS and infection with P. carinii should be further evaluated and that infection of young infants may serve as an important reservoir for human P. carinii...
- Animal models of pneumocystosisE Dei-Cas
Faculty of Medicine and Regional University Hospital Centre, Lille, France
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 22:163-8. 1998..viable parasites in corticosteroid-treated non-latently infected rats resulted in extensive, reproducible Pneumocystis infections. Extensive PCP can be obtained within 5-7 weeks, whilst 9-12 weeks are needed in the classical model...
- Pneumocystis jiroveci internal transcribed spacer types in patients colonized by the fungus and in patients with pneumocystosis from the same French geographic regionGilles Nevez
Department of Parasitology, Mycology and Travel Medicine, University Hospital of Amiens, Jules Verne University of Picardy, 80054 Amiens, France
J Clin Microbiol 41:181-6. 2003..jiroveci ITS genotypes in colonized patients and patients with PCP suggest that human populations infected by P. jiroveci, whatever the clinical manifestation, may play a role as a common reservoir for the fungus...
- Critical roles of inflammation and apoptosis in improved survival in a model of hyperoxia-induced acute lung injury in Pneumocystis murina-infected miceJames M Beck
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Infect Immun 77:1053-60. 2009b>Pneumocystis infections increase host susceptibility to additional insults that would be tolerated in the absence of infection, such as hyperoxia...
- Drug evaluation of concurrent Pneumocystis carinii, Toxoplasma gondii, and Mycobacterium avium complex infections in a rat modelM Brun-Pascaud
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 13 Hôpital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:1068-72. 1998..whereas PS-15 with dapsone and trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole were active against Toxoplasma and Pneumocystis infections only...
- Recent advances in antifungal agentsTamas Lorand
Department of Biochemistry and Medical Chemistry, University Pecs, Faculty of Medicine, H 7624 Pecs, Szigeti ut 12, Hungary
Mini Rev Med Chem 7:900-11. 2007..Sordarin derivatives that block the fungal protein synthesis can be considered as a promising new class of antifungal agents for the treatment of Candida and Pneumocystis infections.
- [Pneumocystis carinii infections in a pediatric intensive care unit: a retrospective study 1980-2002]N Richard
Service de réanimation pédiatrique polyvalente, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Arch Pediatr 10:539s-544s. 2003..The objective of this study was to ascertain the clinical and epidemiological characteristics of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) cases admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)...
- Clinical course of patients with WASP gene mutationsKohsuke Imai
Department of Pediatrics and Developmental Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8519, Japan
Blood 103:456-64. 2004..Based on data presented here, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation should be considered, especially for WASP-negative patients, while the patients are young to improve prognosis...
- Neutralization of interferon-gamma exacerbates pneumocystis-driven interstitial pneumonitis after bone marrow transplantation in miceB A Garvy
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, New York 12983, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1637-44. 1997..These data indicate that IFNgamma is critical for controlling the development of P. carinii-driven interstitial pneumonia after either syngeneic or allogeneic bone marrow transplant in mice...
- Mycoses in AIDSB Dupont
Unite de Mycologie, Institut Pasteur, H pital Necker, Paris, France
Med Mycol 38:259-67. 2000..The epidemiology is dramatically different in the countries which cannot afford the cost of HAART for the majority of patients, such as South Africa. These topics will be discussed in this paper...
- Interstitial pneumonitis and coinfection of human herpesvirus 6 and Pneumocystis carinii in a patient with hypogammaglobulinemiaTytti Vuorinen
Department of Virology, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 13, 20520 Turku, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 42:5415-8. 2004..Here we report for the first time severe interstitial pneumonitis with simultaneous HHV-6 and Pneumocystis carinii infections in the lung tissue of a young patient with hypogammaglobulinemia...
- [Fatal opportunistic infection following disappearance of antibodies by immunosuppressive therapy in a patient with acquired factor VIII inhibitor]Yasushi Kubota
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Saga Medical School
Rinsho Ketsueki 45:1023-7. 2004..Therefore, it is important to bear in mind treatment-related opportunistic infections in a case with a high titer of acquired F VIII inhibitor...
- Pneumocystis elicits a STAT6-dependent, strain-specific innate immune response and airway hyperresponsivenessSteve D Swain
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 46:290-8. 2012..These results show that exposure to a fungus such as Pneumocystis can elicit pulmonary responses that may contribute to morbidity, even without prior sensitization, in the context of certain genetic backgrounds...
- Brain abscesses in HIV-positive patients due to Pneumocystis jiroveciRoy Nasnas
1Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 11:169-71. 2012..Stereotactic brain biopsy with immunofluorescence staining was positive for Pneumocystis jiroveci. The patient received high doses of cotrimoxazole and had a favorable clinical course...
- [Pneumocystis, the controversy continues]I Villamil Cajoto
Rev Clin Esp 207:152; author reply 152-3. 2007
- Typing of Pneumocystis jirovecii isolates from Iranian immunosuppressed patients based on the Internal Transcribed Spacer (ITS) region of the rRNA geneMaryam Fatemeh Sheikholeslami
Mycobacteriology Research Center, NRITLD, Masih Daneshvary Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Med Mycol 51:843-50. 2013..5%) patients were found to have more than one haplotype. It is suggested that novel haplotypes in Iranian patients may be generated through sexual recombination within the host...
- Clinical significance of Pneumocystis jiroveci in patients with active tuberculosisKelvin K W To
Research Centre of Infection and Immunology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 75:260-5. 2013..Our study has shown an association between the detection of Pneumocystis in lower respiratory tract specimens and greater impairment of pulmonary function among patients with active tuberculosis...
- Pneumocystis: newer knowledge about the biology of this group of organisms in laboratory rats and miceSteven H Weisbroth
Lab Anim (NY) 35:55-61. 2006..He also addresses the diagnosis of Pneumocystis infection and provides suggestions for the establishment of Pneumocystis-free animal colonies...
- Various opportunistic infections and neoplasms in patients dying of AIDS in the last 12 years--report based on pathomorphological investigationsZ Kaminski
Department of Pathomorphology, Hospital for Infectious Diseases in Warsaw, ul Wolska 37, 01 201 Warsaw, Poland
Med Sci Monit 7:421-6. 2001..The aim of the study was microscopic diagnostics of infections and neoplasms in patients who died of AIDS...
- The risk factors of fungal infection in living-donor liver transplantationsTakao Ohkubo
Artificial Organ and Transplantation Division, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 19:382-8. 2012..Although fungal infections are an important complication associated with high mortality in liver transplantation, the risk factors for fungal infections developing after LDLT remain poorly understood...
- Necrotic adenoids in post-transplant lymphoproliferative disordersL Spinato
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Children s Hospital Queen Fabiola, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
B-ENT 7:61-4. 2011..The majority of cases are associated with Epstein Barr virus infection (EBV). The first manifestations of PTLD are frequently observed in the ENT area with adenoidal and/or tonsillar enlargement...
- Serum (1->3)-beta-D-glucan levels in primary infection and pulmonary colonization with Pneumocystis jiroveciiCéline Damiani
Parasitology and Mycology Department, University Hospital, Amiens, France
J Clin Microbiol 49:2000-2. 2011..Glucan detection is a complementary tool for the diagnosis of the diverse clinical presentations of P. jirovecii infection...
- A diagnostic method for pneumocystis carinii a causative agent of pneumonia in immunodeficient ratsKaori Yabuuchi
Institute of Experimental Animal Sciences, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Exp Anim 59:261-7. 2010..In Pneumocystis infections, a specific histological diagnostic tool may be immunochemistry (IC)...
- Successful umbilical cord blood stem cell transplantation in a patient with Rothmund-Thomson syndrome and combined immunodeficiencyM A Broom
Department of Pediatrics, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Clin Genet 69:337-43. 2006..The patient received an umbilical cord blood (UCB) transplant with complete immune reconstitution. This report represents the first description of a CID phenotype and UCB transplantation in a patient with RTS...
- Pneumocystis jiroveci in HIV/AIDS patients: detection by FTA filter paper together with PCR in noninvasive induced sputum specimensSiraya Jaijakul
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:S294-9. 2005..To detect P. jiroveci (previously named P. carinii) by PCR using FTA filter paper to extract the DNA, from noninvasive induced sputum samples of HIV/AIDS patients...
- Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in a patient with Wegener's granulomatosis treated efficiently with caspofunginHerbert Hof
Institute for Microbiology and Hygiene, University Hospital Mannheim, Medical Faculty Mannheim of the University of Heidelberg, Germany
Mycoses 51:65-7. 2008..The patient's complaints subsequently resolved within days after initiation of treatment. Tolerability of the drug was excellent. No relapse occurred during the ongoing 4 years, although immunosuppressive therapy continued...
- Splenic pneumocystosis: an atypical presentation of extrapulmonary Pneumocystis infectionCurtis B O'Neal
Weill CornellRockefeller Sloan Kettering Institutional MD PhD Program, New York, USA
AIDS Read 18:503-8. 2008
- Pneumocystis jirovecii haplotypes at the internal transcribed spacers of the rRNA operon in French HIV-negative patients with diverse clinical presentations of Pneumocystis infectionsSolène Le Gal
University of Brest, LUBEM EA 3882, Brest
Med Mycol 51:851-62. 2013..jirovecii among human populations, whatever their clinical presentation of Pneumocystis infections.
- Incidence, risk factors, and mortality from pneumonia developing late after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationChien Shing Chen
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington, School of Medicine Seattle, WA, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 32:515-22. 2003..5, P=0.007). Our data suggest that extension of PCP prophylaxis may be beneficial in high-risk autograft recipients. Further study of long-term anti-infective prophylaxis based on patient risk factors after SCT appear warranted...
- Absence of the macrophage mannose receptor in mice does not increase susceptibility to Pneumocystis carinii infection in vivoSteve D Swain
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
Infect Immun 71:6213-21. 2003..Our findings suggest that while the macrophage mannose receptor may be important in the recognition of P. carinii, in vivo, this mechanism may be redundant, and the absence of this receptor may be compensated for...
- Characterization of the expression site of the major surface glycoprotein of human-derived Pneumocystis cariniiG Kutty
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 7D43, MSC 1662, Bethesda, MD 20892-1662, USA
Mol Microbiol 42:183-93. 2001..carinii f. sp. carinii and, in immunosuppressed patients, in whom immune pressures that probably drive antigenic variation are functioning inadequately, P. carinii can express a broad repertoire of MSG variants...
- Emerging trends in the epidemiology of invasive mycoses in England and Wales (1990-9)T L Lamagni
HIV and STD Division, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Public Health Laboratory Service, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 126:397-414. 2001..Efforts to enhance comprehensive laboratory reporting should be undertaken to maximize the utility of this approach for surveillance of deep-seated fungal infections...
- Search for Pneumocystis carinii DNA in upper and lower respiratory tract of humansH S Oz
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky Medical Center, 40536, Lexington, KY, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 37:161-4. 2000..All patients with PCP, and none without PCP, had P. carinii DNA in BAL, sputum or both. The study indicates the prevalence of P. carinii DNA is low or absent in oropharyngeal secretions in the absence of PCP...
- Anti-human immunodeficiency virus drugs are ineffective against Pneumocystis carinii in vitro and in vivoP D Walzer
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Infect Dis 184:1355-7. 2001..carinii in these in vitro and in vivo systems. Caution should be used when interpreting reports of the susceptibility of P. carinii to anti-HIV drugs on the basis of in vitro testing only...
- Pneumocystis carinii infection presents as common bile duct mass biopsied by fine-needle aspirationG C Yang
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 22:25-6. 2000..In fine-needle aspiration smears, exuberant vascular proliferation associated with multinucleated giant-cell reactions was found within the granular exudate of PC...
- Inhibition of growth of Pneumocystis carinii by lactoferrins alone and in combination with pyrimethamine, clarithromycin and minocyclineO Cirioni
Institute of Infectious Diseases and Public Health, University of Ancona, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 46:577-82. 2000..carinii growth in vitro and act synergically with other clinically used compounds. These findings lend experimental support to the use of iron-chelating agents in the therapy of pneumocystis infections.
- Association of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease severity and Pneumocystis colonizationAlison Morris
M S, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:408-13. 2004..001) and was independent of smoking history. We conclude that there is a strong association between Pneumocystis colonization and severity of airflow obstruction in smokers, suggesting a possible pathogenic link with COPD progression...
- Autopsy case of alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis treated with corticosteroids and affected by Pneumocystis carinii and cytomegalovirus pneumoniaH Ikawa
First Division of Pathology, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7-5-1 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
Pathol Int 51:629-32. 2001..The present case suggests that a rare opportunistic infection such as P. carinii pneumonia might be caused by treating cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis with corticosteroids, even if only for a relatively short period...
- Genetic variation at the mitochondrial large-subunit rRNA locus of Pneumocystis isolates from simian immunodeficiency virus-infected rhesus macaquesKaren A Norris
Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10:1037-42. 2003....
- Detection of HIV protease inhibitors in alveolar epithelial lining fluid: relevance for modulation of pneumocystis infection in the course of HAARTChiara Atzori
L Sacco Hospital, 20157 Milan, Italy
J Eukaryot Microbiol 53:S140-1. 2006
- Microarray studies on effects of Pneumocystis carinii infection on global gene expression in alveolar macrophagesBi Hua Cheng
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
BMC Microbiol 10:103. 2010....
- More experience, but not a new experienceMiquel Falguera
Clin Infect Dis 35:212. 2002
- [Pneumocystis jiroveci: a new name for an old pathogen]J M Varela Aguilar
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Sevilla, Espana
Rev Clin Esp 206:278-80. 2006..During this article, we will show some of the most recent advances in the knowledge of the human pneumocystosis...
- [Presence of Pneumocystis carinii and Pneumocystis wakefieldiae DNA in the extrapulmonary tissues of immunocompromised laboratory rats]Elzbieta Gołab
Zakład Parazytologii Lekarskiej, Narodowy Instytut Zdrowia Publicznego, Państwowy Zakład Higieny, ul Chocimska 24 00 791 Warszawa
Wiad Parazytol 55:167-71. 2009..This spread probably takes place via the lymphatic vessels. The extrapulmonary foci may contain either P. carinii alone, or both pathogens: P. carinii and P. wakefieldiae...
- Lower respiratory tract infections in HIV infected patients requiring admission to hospitalSimon Briggs
N Z Med J 115:116-7. 2002
- [The infectious complications of sarcoidosis]Robin Dhote
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Avicenne, UPRES EA 3409, Universite Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Presse Med 38:317-23. 2009..Corticosteroids-induced immune suppression, and T-CD4 lymphopenia, are often present in these cases of infection, but are not the only factors...
- Genetic divergence of the dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthase genes in Pneumocystis carinii from 7 different host speciesL Ma
Critical Care Medicine Department, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1662, USA
J Infect Dis 184:1358-62. 2001..carinii. Recognizing the substantial differences in the DHFR and DHPS genes among P. carinii from different host species has important implications for drug discovery and the development of new diagnostic methods...
- Prevention of infection caused by Pneumocystis carinii in transplant recipientsJ A Fishman
Infectious Disease Division and Transplantation Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Infect Dis 33:1397-405. 2001..Strategies for the prevention of Pneumocystis infection must be individualized on the basis of a stratification of risk for each patient...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies investigation in Pneumocystis jirovecii carriersMaria R Atienza
Internal Medicine Service, CIBER de Epidemiología y Salud Pública, Hospital Virgen del Rocio, Sevilla, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 40:840-2. 2008..IgG anticardiolipin antibodies were positive in 2 out of 5 (40%) P. jirovecii carriers and 2 out of 10 (20%) subjects with no evidence of pulmonary infection by this microorganism (p=0.4)...
- Pneumocystis infection enhances antibody-mediated resistance to a subsequent influenza infectionJames A Wiley
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59715, USA
J Immunol 180:5613-24. 2008..Rather, the increased rate of viral clearance was due to the enhancement of the influenza-specific Ab response, which in turn was transiently dependent upon the resolution of the ongoing Pneumocystis infection...
- Otic pneumocystosis in acquired immune deficiency syndromeMabitsela S Mahlakwane
Department of Anatomical Pathology, National Health Laboratory Services, Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1038-43. 2008..In all patients, otic pneumocystosis served as the sentinel of underlying HIV infection and AIDS...
- The impact of CMV on the respiratory burst of macrophages in response to Pneumocystis cariniiA L Laursen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Marselisborg Hospital, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Clin Exp Immunol 123:239-46. 2001..These results might help explain the worse prognosis of P. carinii pneumonia in patients coinfected with CMV and receiving dexamethasone...
- Immunopathology of the Pneumocystis Life Cycle StagesMelanie T Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2013..During the tenure of the previous Merit Review, we found that the treatment of Pneumocystis infections with echinocandins suppressed the formation of B-1,3-glucan thereby dramatically shifting the mixed cyst ..
- GENETIC APPROACH TO UNDERSTANDING PNEUMOCYSTIS THERAPYChuck Staben; Fiscal Year: 1993..The inhibitory effects of pentamidine analogs will be compared to those of pentamidine to determine whether the drugs have common cellular targets...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC ANALYSIS OF PNEUMOCYSTISJames Stringer; Fiscal Year: 1991Our long term goal is to understand ultimately control the pathogenicity of pneumocystis infections in humans...
- TRANSMISSION OF PNEUMOCYSTIS INFECTIONMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will result in a clearer understanding of the biology leading to infection with Pc and will provide a rational basis for clinical management and therapeutic intervention. ..
- T. cruzi immune evasion factors and vaccine designKaren Norris; Fiscal Year: 2008..No vaccine is currently available to prevent or treat Chagas' disease and the proposed studies will test two vaccine candidates in experimental models. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Approaches for Development of PcP TherapyMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, they will select the most efficacious combinations of agents and evaluate their effects on gene expression again using the macroarray approach. ..
- Pneumocystis and COPD in a Simian Model of AIDSKaren Norris; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- COMPLEMENT REGULATION IN TRYPANOSOMA CRUZIKaren Norris; Fiscal Year: 2005..The successful completion of these aims will provide the first functional and immunological evaluation of a critical virulence factor of T. cruzi and provide information and reagents for the use of CRP as a vaccine candidate. ..
- PNEUMOCYSTIS GENOME PROJECTMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, there is but a single aim to this proposal: 1. To finish sequencing the genome of pneumocystis carinii and provide a completed assembly. ..
- Immune response to Pneumocystis in simian model of AIDSKaren Norris; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII PNEUMONIA MODEL IN RHESUS MACAQUESKaren Norris; Fiscal Year: 2002..carinii and determine the relevance of the nonhuman primate model, thus providing the means to study many aspects of PCP previously unapproachable due to the limitations of other animal models. ..
- Eighth International Workshops on Opportunistic ProtistsMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2003..Mead's and Cushion's ancestors include native Americans; Marciano-Cabral is Hispanic; Kaneshiro has Pacific-Asian ancestry; Lindsay, Weiss are white. Lindsay is a physically handicapped individual. ..
- Pneumocystis in Pathogenesis of HIV-associated EmphysemaAlison Morris; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information will help us understand and treat emphysema in these patients and in the many non-HIV-infected people who suffer from this disease. ..
- STRUCTURE AND EXPRESSION OF PNEUMOCYSTIS ANTIGEN GENESJames Stringer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Significance of P carinii ColonizationAlison Morris; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, greater insight into the epidemiology of colonization may aid in understanding the transmission and prevention of P. carinii. ..
- SP-A MOUSE MODELS OF PNEUMOCYSTIS INFECTIONPeter Walzer; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) analyze the influence of SP-A on the host immune/inflammatory response that occurs during the recovery from PcP. ..
- Pathogenesis of HIV-Related Emphysema: T Cells, smoking*James Beck; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Cholesterol and Sphingolipid Perturbation of Membrane Traffic in Human DiseaseAndrew H Limper; Fiscal Year: 2011..The following studies will examine the role of these lipids in exacerbating the symptoms of Cystic fibrosis and will be used in developing new therapeutic approaches for this disease. ..
- Sterol Metabolism in PneumocystisEDNA KANESHIRO; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES FOR THE STUDY OF P. CARINIIFrancis Gigliotti; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also determine the microbiologic effect of combining passive antibody therapy with conventional antimicrobial therapy. ..
- Control of the Pneumocystis carinii Life CycleAndrew Limper; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- NHLBI Respiration Biology Research Training GrantAndrew Limper; Fiscal Year: 2007..Candidate are committed to a minimum of two, but preferably three or more years of full time research. A wide range of didactic courses is available to complement the intensive laboratory experience. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Human P. carinii PneumoniaLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- INTERDISCIPLINARY TRAINING IN HIV/AIDS EPIDEMIOLOGYRoger Detels; Fiscal Year: 2005..Trainees will be expected to publish at least one paper from their dissertation. Special efforts will be made to recruit qualified candidates from underrepresented minority groups. ..
- Pneumocystis Biochemistry: UbiquinonesEDNA KANESHIRO; Fiscal Year: 2002..carinii CoQ biosynthesis and growth in axenic cultures, and (4) develop atovaquone-resistant P. carinii populations to evaluate CoQ synthesis in sensitive and resistant organisms. ..
- P CARINII PNEUMONIA--IMMUNOPATHOGENESIS OF LUNG INJURYFrancis Gigliotti; Fiscal Year: 2001..If this hypothesis is proven correct, the information gained from the proposed studies can be utilized to develop new therapeutic modalities to improve the morbidity and mortality resulting from PCP. ..
- CYTOKINE CONTROL OF HOST SUSCEPTIBILITY TO PNEUMOCYSTISJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 2001..Carini using in vivo approaches that model human P. Carinii pneumonia. Ultimately, these studies can be extended to develop therapeutic strategies directed against this important opportunistic pathogen. ..
- NINTH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON OPPORTUNISTIC PEOTISTS (IWOP-9)EDNA KANESHIRO; Fiscal Year: 2006..As in several IWOP meetings in the past, the 2006 Workshops will be held jointly with the annual meetings of the International Society of Protistologists ( formerly Society of Protozoologists). ..