Genomes and Genes
Summary: The presence of fungi circulating in the blood. Opportunistic fungal sepsis is seen most often in immunosuppressed patients with severe neutropenia or in postoperative patients with intravenous catheters and usually follows prolonged antibiotic therapy.
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Delaying the empiric treatment of candida bloodstream infection until positive blood culture results are obtained: a potential risk factor for hospital mortalityMatthew Morrell
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8052, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3640-5. 2005..Alternatively, increased use of empiric antifungal treatment in selected patients at high risk for fungal bloodstream infection could also reduce delays in treatment...
- Time to initiation of fluconazole therapy impacts mortality in patients with candidemia: a multi-institutional studyKevin W Garey
Department of Clinical Science and Administration, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, TX, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:25-31. 2006..The goals our analyses were to establish the frequency and duration of delayed antifungal treatment and to evaluate the relationship between treatment delay and mortality...
- Nosocomial bloodstream infections in US hospitals: analysis of 24,179 cases from a prospective nationwide surveillance studyHilmar Wisplinghoff
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:309-17. 2004..Nosocomial bloodstream infections (BSIs) are important causes of morbidity and mortality in the United States...
- Epidemiology and predictors of mortality in cases of Candida bloodstream infection: results from population-based surveillance, barcelona, Spain, from 2002 to 2003Benito Almirante
Infectious Diseases Division, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Avda Vall d Hebron, 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:1829-35. 2005..Antifungal medication and catheter removal are critical in preventing mortality...
- Epidemiology of candidaemia in Europe: results of 28-month European Confederation of Medical Mycology (ECMM) hospital-based surveillance studyA M Tortorano
Istituto di Igiene e Medicina Preventiva, Universita degli Studi, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Via F Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:317-22. 2004..9%. The survey results underline the burden of candidaemia in a wide range of patient populations, confirm the importance of non- albicans species, and provide baseline data for future surveillance studies at a European level...
- Incidence of bloodstream infections due to Candida species and in vitro susceptibilities of isolates collected from 1998 to 2000 in a population-based active surveillance programRana A Hajjeh
Mycotic Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:1519-27. 2004..7% of isolates, and > or = 2 microg/ml for 0.4% of isolates. Our findings highlight changes in the epidemiology of Candida BSI in the 1990s and provide a basis upon which to conduct further studies of selected high-risk subpopulations...
- National surveillance of fungemia in Denmark (2004 to 2009)Maiken Cavling Arendrup
Unit of Mycology, Department of Microbiological Surveillance and Research 43 117, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 49:325-34. 2011A 6-year nationwide study of fungemia in Denmark was performed using data from an active fungemia surveillance program and from laboratory information systems in nonparticipating regions...
- Pathogenesis of cerebral Cryptococcus neoformans infection after fungemiaFabrice Chretien
Laboratoire de Neuropathologie, Faculté de médecine Paris Ouest, Hopital Raymond Poincare, Garches, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 186:522-30. 2002The pathogenesis of cerebral infection after Cryptococcus neoformans fungemia in outbred mice was investigated...
- Therapy and outcome of Candida glabrata versus Candida albicans bloodstream infectionMichael J Klevay
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:273-7. 2008..002). Twelve percent of patients received no antifungal therapy and contributed disproportionately to overall crude mortality. Strategies to decrease the incidence of untreated candidemia may favorably impact outcome...
- Bloodstream infections due to Candida species in the intensive care unit: identifying especially high-risk patients to determine prevention strategiesRichard P Wenzel
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:S389-93. 2005..Use of defined risk factors to select patients who are at high risk for candidemia and treatment with effective antibiotics would be an efficient way to reduce infection-related deaths...
- Effects of rapid detection of bloodstream infections on length of hospitalization and hospital chargesS E Beekmann
Division of Medical Microbiology, Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:3119-25. 2003Current automated continuous-monitoring blood culture systems afford more rapid detection of bacteremia and fungemia than is possible with non-instrument-based manual methods...
- Epidemiology of candidemia in Swiss tertiary care hospitals: secular trends, 1991-2000Oscar Marchetti
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Internal Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 38:311-20. 2004..krusei remained rare (2%). Fluconazole consumption increased significantly (P<.001). Despite increasing high-risk activities, the incidence of candidemia remained unchanged, and no shift to resistant species occurred...
- Epidemiology of candidemia: 3-year results from the emerging infections and the epidemiology of Iowa organisms studyD J Diekema
Division of Medical Microbiology, Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:1298-302. 2002..However, C. glabrata has emerged as an important and potentially antifungal resistant cause of candidemia, particularly among the elderly...
- Epidemiology and antifungal susceptibility of Candida species isolated from blood: results of a 2-year multicentre study in SpainJ Peman
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Avenida Campanar 21, 46009 Valencia, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:23-30. 2005..These results provide baseline data for future epidemiological and susceptibility studies and for evaluating the impact of new antifungal agents on the distribution of species and the mortality rates associated with candidaemia in Spain...
- Microorganisms direct identification from blood culture by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometryL Ferreira
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:546-51. 2011....
- Seminested PCR for diagnosis of candidemia: comparison with culture, antigen detection, and biochemical methods for species identificationSuhail Ahmad
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13110, Kuwait
J Clin Microbiol 40:2483-9. 2002..Moreover, the improved detection of cases of candidemia caused by more than one Candida species is an additional advantage...
- Identification of blood culture isolates directly from positive blood cultures by use of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry and a commercial extraction system: analysis of performance, cost, and turnaround timePhilippe R S Lagacé-Wiens
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Manitoba Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 50:3324-8. 2012..However, the use of MALDI-TOF for direct identification is accurate and should result in reduced turnaround time to identification...
- Comparison of Mycosis IC/F and plus Aerobic/F media for diagnosis of fungemia by the bactec 9240 systemMarie Helene Meyer
Institut de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Tropicale, Faculte de Medecine, 67000 Strasbourg, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:773-7. 2004b>Fungemia is associated with a high mortality rate...
- Role of sentinel surveillance of candidemia: trends in species distribution and antifungal susceptibilityM A Pfaller
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3551-7. 2002
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia: an emerging infectious diseasePatricia Munoz
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 40:1625-34. 2005..Saccharomyces cerevisiae is well known in the baking and brewing industry and is also used as a probiotic in humans. However, it is a very uncommon cause of infection in humans...
- Multilocus sequence typing of sequential Candida albicans isolates from patients with persistent or recurrent fungemiaDaniel A da Matta
Division of Infectious Diseases, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Mycol 48:757-62. 2010..of this study was to determine whether the same or different strains were responsible for persistent or recurrent fungemia through the use of MLST and ABC typing on sequential C. albicans isolates from the same patient...
- Trichosporonosis in a tertiary care cancer center: risk factors, changing spectrum and determinants of outcomeDimitrios P Kontoyiannis
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Employee Health, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 36:564-9. 2004..TS presented most commonly as fungemia (n = 10, including 7 with central-venous-catheter-related infection) and either pulmonary or soft tissue ..
- Clinical microbiology of bacterial and fungal sepsis in very-low-birth-weight infantsDavid Kaufman
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, P O Box 800386, University of Virginia Health System, 3768 Old Medical School, Hospital Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:638-80, table of contents. 2004..Identification of the differences in neonatal intensive care units with low and high infection rates and implementation of infection control measures remain paramount in each neonatal intensive care unit caring for preterm infants...
- Increase in Candida parapsilosis fungemia in critical care units: a 6-years studyElif Sahin Horasan
Zeytinli Bahçe caddesi, Tip Fakultesi Hastanesi, Klinik Mikrobiyoloji ve Infeksiyon Hastaliklari, Mersin Universitesi, 33079, Mersin, Turkey
Mycopathologia 170:263-8. 2010..We aimed to asses possible clinically significant differences between C. parapsilosis and other candida species candidemia receiving care in the intensive care unit (ICU) setting...
- Procalcitonin--a marker of invasive fungal infection?H J Dornbusch
Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Department of Pediatrics and Adolescence Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Support Care Cancer 13:343-6. 2005..In the early phase of IFI, PCT was elevated in fewer than half of invasive candidiasis episodes and in only one patient (5.3%) with invasive aspergillosis. Due to low sensitivity and specificity, PCT adds little to the diagnosis of IFI...
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia: an adverse effect of Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic administrationRaoul Herbrecht
Clin Infect Dis 40:1635-7. 2005
- Economic impact of Candida colonization and Candida infection in the critically ill patientP M Olaechea
Emergency Service and Intensive Care Medicine, Hospital de Galdakao, Bo de Labeaga s n, 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:323-30. 2004..Both Candida colonization and Candida infection had an important economic impact in terms of cost increases due to longer stays in both the ICU and in the hospital...
- Diagnostic issues, clinical characteristics, and outcomes for patients with fungemiaMaiken Cavling Arendrup
Unit of Mycology, 43 117, Department of Microbiological Surveillance and Research, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 49:3300-8. 2011This study investigated microbiological, clinical, and management issues and outcomes for Danish fungemia patients. Isolates and clinical information were collected at six centers...
- Association of fluconazole area under the concentration-time curve/MIC and dose/MIC ratios with mortality in nonneutropenic patients with candidemiaManjunath P Pai
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:35-9. 2007..09). These data support the dose-dependent properties of fluconazole. Underdosing fluconazole against less-susceptible Candida isolates has the potential to increase the risk of mortality associated with candidemia...
- Impact of high-dose granulocyte transfusions in patients with cancer with candidemia: retrospective case-control analysis of 491 episodes of Candida species bloodstream infectionsAmar Safdar
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control, and Employee Health, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 101:2859-65. 2004..The authors sought to determine the impact of high-dose (approximately 5.5 x 10(10) cells) GTX in patients with candidemia...
- The epidemiology and attributable outcomes of candidemia in adults and children hospitalized in the United States: a propensity analysisTheoklis E Zaoutis
Division of General Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1232-9. 2005....
- Comparison of caspofungin and amphotericin B for invasive candidiasisJorge Mora-Duarte
Neeman ICIC and Hospital Mexico, C C S S, San Jose, Costa Rica
N Engl J Med 347:2020-9. 2002..Caspofungin is an echinocandin agent with fungicidal activity against candida species. We performed a double-blind trial to compare caspofungin with amphotericin B deoxycholate for the primary treatment of invasive candidiasis...
- Attributable mortality of nosocomial candidemia, revisitedOlafur Gudlaugsson
Department of Epidemiology, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:1172-7. 2003..Nosocomial candidemia is still associated with an extremely high crude and attributable mortality--much higher than that expected from underlying disease alone...
- A prospective observational study of candidemia: epidemiology, therapy, and influences on mortality in hospitalized adult and pediatric patientsPeter G Pappas
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0006, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:634-43. 2003..In adults, Candida parapsilosis fungemia was associated with lower mortality than was non-parapsilosis candidemia (24% vs. 46%; P<.001)...
- Candida lusitaniae fungemia in cancer patients: risk factors for amphotericin B failure and outcomeBradley J Atkinson
Department of Pharmacy, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Med Mycol 46:541-6. 2008..lusitaniae fungemia in comparison with those of Candida albicans have not been completely characterized...
- Outbreak of fungemia among neonates caused by Candida haemulonii resistant to amphotericin B, itraconazole, and fluconazoleZia U Khan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13110, Kuwait
J Clin Microbiol 45:2025-7. 2007The first outbreak of Candida haemulonii fungemia is described. The seven isolates from the blood of four neonates were identified by DNA sequencing of the ribosomal DNA...
- Experience with caspofungin in the treatment of persistent fungemia in neonatesGirija Natarajan
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Perinatol 25:770-7. 2005..To review our experience of caspofungin in the treatment of persistent candidemia in the neonatal intensive care unit...
- Early prediction of Candida glabrata fungemia in nonneutropenic critically ill patientsYves Cohen
Hopital Avicenne, Service de Reanimation, Bobigny, France
Crit Care Med 38:826-30. 2010..Our aim was to determine easy-to-identify risk factors for C. glabrata fungemia likely to guide and improve initial antifungal therapy.
- Empirical fluconazole versus placebo for intensive care unit patients: a randomized trialMindy G Schuster
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:83-90. 2008..Invasive infection with Candida species is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in intensive care unit (ICU) patients. Optimal preventive strategies have not been clearly defined...
- Candida parapsilosis fungemia in neonates: genotyping results suggest healthcare workers hands as source, and review of published studiesEveline C van Asbeck
Division of Infectious Diseases, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, California Institute for Medical Research, 751 South Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128, USA
Mycopathologia 164:287-93. 2007An outbreak of Candida parapsilosis fungemia involving 17 neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) patients was studied. There were 14 blood culture and nine colonizing isolates from other sites available...
- Mixed fungemia: incidence, risk factors, and mortality in a general hospitalJulia Jensen
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 44:e109-14. 2007b>Fungemia has been historically considered to be a disease caused by a single Candida species; the detection of >1 species of yeast in circulating blood was distinctly uncommon using traditional microbiological procedures...
- Fungemia due to Trichosporon asahii in a neutropenic child refractory to amphotericin B: clearance with voriconazoleCharalampos Antachopoulos
Third Department of Pediatrics, Aristotle University, Hippokration Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:283-5. 2005..The authors report a case of Trichosporon asahii fungemia refractory to liposomal amphotericin B treatment in a boy with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, which resolved after ..
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia after Saccharomyces boulardii treatment in immunocompromised patientsArnoldo J Riquelme
Department of Internal Medicine, Universidad Catolica de Chile, School of Medicine, Santiago, Chile
J Clin Gastroenterol 36:41-3. 2003..Clinical data suggest that this agent is safe and effective. We report two cases of fungemia caused by S. cerevisiae occurring in immunosuppressed patients treated orally with S...
- An outbreak of Pichia anomala fungemia in a Brazilian pediatric intensive care unitAlessandro Comaru Pasqualotto
School of Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:553-8. 2005To report an outbreak of Pichia anomala fungemia that occurred in a Brazilian pediatric intensive care unit (ICU) from October 2002 to January 2004.
- Rapid detection of pathogens in blood culture bottles by real-time PCR in conjunction with the pre-analytic tool MolYsisSusanne Gebert
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University Hospital of Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 23, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Infect 57:307-16. 2008..This would allow an earlier appropriate antimicrobial therapy and may improve the prognosis of septic patients...
- Prevalence of Candida dubliniensis fungemia at a large teaching hospitalMary Ann Jabra-Rizk
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Pathology, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1064-7. 2005Six cases of Candida dubliniensis fungemia were identified during an 8-month period in hospitalized patients with various conditions, including human immunodeficiency virus infection...
- Late complications of Candida (Torulopsis) glabrata fungemia: description of a phenomenonTawanda Gumbo
Department of Infectious Diseases, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 34:817-8. 2002Complications occurring > 1 month after Candida glabrata fungemia have not been studied. We conducted a study to determine the frequency and morbidity of complications of C...
- Transient fungemia due to Rhodotorula rubra in a cancer patient: case report and review of the literatureG Samonis
Division of Medicine, The University of Crete, Greece
Infection 29:173-6. 2001A unique case of Rhodotorula rubra transient fungemia in a post-chemotherapy, febrile neutropenic patient with colon cancer, suffering from gastrointestinal mucositis, is described. The fungus was isolated repeatedly from his blood...
- Trends in antifungal susceptibility of Candida spp. isolated from pediatric and adult patients with bloodstream infections: SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program, 1997 to 2000M A Pfaller
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine and College of Public Health, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:852-6. 2002..Ongoing surveillance will enhance efforts to limit the extent of antifungal resistance in individuals in various age groups...
- Breakthrough fungemia caused by fluconazole-resistant Candida albicans with decreased susceptibility to voriconazole in patients with hematologic malignanciesYoshinari Myoken
Haematologica 91:287-8. 2006..that ten patients, who received itraconazole and fluconazole during neutropenia, developed breakthrough fungemia caused by fluconazole-resistant Candida albicans (C. albicans) with decreased susceptibility to voriconazole...
- Fungemia secondary to gastrointestinal Mucor indicus infectionCraig A Aboltins
Clin Infect Dis 42:154-5. 2006
- Fungemia in a cancer patient caused by fluconazole-resistant Cryptococcus laurentiiD Averbuch
Department of Pediatrics, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Med Mycol 40:479-84. 2002..The identity of reported isolates has not always been adequately documented, and some appear to have been isolated from lesions caused by Cryptococcus neoformans, emphasizing the true rarity of disease due to this fungus...
- Successful treatment of breakthrough Trichosporon asahii fungemia with voriconazole in a patient with acute myeloid leukemiaNoboru Asada
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Kameda General Hospital, Chiba, 296 8602, Japan
Clin Infect Dis 43:e39-41. 2006We describe a 55-year-old man with acute myelogenous leukemia who developed breakthrough Trichosporon asahii fungemia during 5 days of micafungin treatment...
- Strain characterization of Candida parapsilosis fungemia by molecular typing methodsR M Zancopé-Oliveira
Centro de Pesquisas Hospital Evandro Chagas, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19:514-20. 2000..The present study used two molecular typing methods to investigate a cluster of eight cases of Candida parapsilosis fungemia in a hospital in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...
- Rare opportunistic (non-Candida, non-Cryptococcus) yeast bloodstream infections in patients with cancerMaria N Chitasombat
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Employee Health, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Infect 64:68-75. 2012..Rare opportunistic (non-Candida, non-Cryptococcus) yeast bloodstream infections (ROYBSIs) are rare, even in cancer patients...
- Successful treatment of Trichosporon fungemia in a patient with refractory acute myeloid leukemia using voriconazole combined with liposomal amphotericin BK Hosokawa
Cellular Transplantation Biology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Transpl Infect Dis 14:184-7. 2012Trichosporon fungemia is a rare and fatal fungal infection that occurs in patients with prolonged neutropenia associated with hematologic malignancies...
- Breakthrough Trichosporon asahii fungemia in neutropenic patient with acute leukemia while receiving caspofunginG Bayramoglu
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Karadeniz Technical University, School of Medicine, 6180, Trabzon, Turkey
Infection 36:68-70. 2008..diagnosed acute myeloblastic leukemia and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus developed Trichosporon asahii fungemia while receiving caspofungin as empirical antifungal therapy. The diagnosis was based on repeated isolation of T...
- Nosocomial bloodstream infections in Finnish hospitals during 1999-2000O Lyytikainen
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, National Public Health Institute, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 35:e14-9. 2002..The overall rate of nosocomial BSIs was similar to rates in England and the United States, but S. aureus, enterococci, and fungi were less common in our study, and the prevalence of antibiotic resistance was lower...
- Nosocomial fungemia due to Trichosporon asteroides: firstly described bloodstream infectionSemra Kustimur
Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Ankara, Turkey
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 43:167-70. 2002..Therefore, our isolate was identified as Trichosporon asteroides as a causative agent of deep-seated fungemia.
- Rhodotorula glutinis fungemia in a liver-kidney transplant patientD J Riedel
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 10:197-200. 2008..During his prolonged hospitalization, he developed catheter-related fungemia with Rhodotorula glutinis and azole-resistant Candida glabrata...
- Rapid antifungal susceptibility determination for yeast isolates by use of Etest performed directly on blood samples from patients with fungemiaJesus Guinea
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 48:2205-12. 2010We prospectively determined the antifungal susceptibility of yeast isolates causing fungemia using the Etest on direct blood samples (195 prospectively collected and 133 laboratory prepared)...
- Breakthrough candidemia in patients with cancer differs from de novo candidemia in host factors and Candida species but not intensityDimitrios P Kontoyiannis
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Employee Health, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:542-5. 2002..To evaluate the risk factors associated with breakthrough candidemia in patients with cancer and to compare them with those of de novo candidemia in this patient population...
- Disseminated Scedosporium prolificans infection and survival of a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaMorag Whyte
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Banksia Unit, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4029
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:375-7. 2005..prolificans sepsis after induction chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She is well 18 months after the diagnosis of fungal sepsis and continues to receive chemotherapy for leukemia, which remains in remission...
- European Confederation of Medical Mycology (ECMM) prospective survey of candidaemia: report from one Italian regionA M Tortorano
Istituto di Igiene e Medicina Preventiva, Università IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Milano, Italy
J Hosp Infect 51:297-304. 2002..Intravascular catheter removal was associated with higher survival rate (71 vs. 47%). This survey underscores the importance of candidaemia in hospital settings...
- [Multicenter study of fungemia due to yeasts in Argentina]L Rodero
Departamento Micologia, INEI, ANLIS, Dr Carlos G Malbran, Vélez Sarsfield 563 1281, Ciudad Autńoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 37:189-95. 2005..Mortality associated to the fungemia by yeasts episodes (n=265) was 30%, lower than results previously determined (33-54%)...
- The yeast species causing fungemia at a university hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, during a 10-year periodSaleh S A Al-Hedaithy
The Medical Mycology Unit, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, College of Medicine and King Khalid University Hospital, PO Box 2925, Riyadh 11461, Saudi Arabia
Mycoses 46:293-8. 2003This study is a retrospective investigation to determine the species of yeasts causing fungemia in a university hospital in Saudi Arabia during the years 1991-2000...
- Fatal Candida dubliniensis septicemia in a patient with AIDSKirk M Chan-Tack
Clin Infect Dis 40:1209-10. 2005
- Invasive Candida infections: the changing epidemiologyKieren A Marr
University of Washington, School of Medicine, and Program in Infectious Diseases, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 18:9-14. 2004..Increasing evidence underscores the need to carefully evaluate antifungal treatment options, according to both host and therapeutic risks for drug resistance...
- Fungemia due to Rhodotorula mucilaginosa after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantationT Mori
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Transpl Infect Dis 14:91-4. 2012..We herein report on a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome who developed fungemia due to Rhodotorula mucilaginosa after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) from an unrelated ..
- Fungemia in non-HIV-infected patients: a five-year reviewSiriluck Anunnatsiri
Division of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Int J Infect Dis 13:90-6. 2009To investigate the incidence, risk factors, causative fungi, and outcomes of fungemia in adult, non-HIV-infected patients.
- Central venous catheter-associated fungemia due to Rhodotorula spp. --a systematic reviewFelipe F Tuon
Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Cerqueira, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Mycol 45:441-7. 2007..They have been associated with endocarditis, peritonitis, meningitis endophthalmitis and catheter-associated fungemia. The aim of this study was to review all cases of central venous catheter-related fungemia due to Rhodotorula spp...
- Epidemiology and outcome of Rhodotorula fungemia in a tertiary care hospitalLuciano W Lunardi
Section of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Clin Infect Dis 43:e60-3. 2006We reviewed demographic data, risk factors, treatment, and outcomes associated with Rhodotorula fungemia in a tertiary care hospital during 2002-2005...
- Evidence for a pseudo-outbreak of Candida guilliermondii fungemia in a university hospital in BrazilEduardo Alexandrino Servolo Medeiros
Hospital Infection Program, Division of Infectious Diseases, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Napoleao de Barros, 690, Segundo Andar, Sao Paulo, Brazil 04024002
J Clin Microbiol 45:942-7. 2007..We report a large pseudo-outbreak of Candida guilliermondii fungemia that occurred in a university hospital in Brazil. C...
- Rhodotorula glutinis fungemia successfully treated with fluconazole: report of two casesDiamantis Kofteridis
Int J Infect Dis 11:179-80. 2007
- Candida dubliniensis meningitis as delayed sequela of treated C. dubliniensis fungemiaSebastian J van Hal
St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 14:327-9. 2008..dubliniensis candidemia in a heart-lung transplant recipient in Australia. This case highlights the importance of follow-up in patients with candidemia or disseminated infection, especially in immunosuppressed patients...
- [Fungemia in hospitals of the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina]Laura López Moral
Sección Microbiología, Laboratorio Central, Hospital General de Agudos Dr C Argerich, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Iberoam Micol 29:144-9. 2012..The incidence of fungi like pathogens in hospitals varies by regions...
- Outbreak of nosocomial fungemia caused by Candida glabrataA Nedret Koc
Department of Microbiology, Erciyes University, Medical School Kayseri, Kayseri Turkey
Mycoses 45:470-5. 2002An outbreak of Candida glabrata fungemia that was thought to be associated with bottles used for milk feeds occurred at our children's infectious diseases clinic. This cluster of cases was investigated using a case-control study...
- Rhodotorula mucilaginosa catheter-related fungemia in a patient with sickle cell disease: case presentation and literature reviewDionissios Neofytos
Division of Infectious Diseases and Environmental Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 125 South 9th Street, Suite 403, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
South Med J 100:198-200. 2007..We present a case of sustained Rhodotorula mucilaginosa catheter-related fungemia in a patient with sickle cell anemia who refused removal of the implanted port...
- Identification of Candida fabianii as a cause of lethal septicaemiaGiuseppe Valenza
Mycoses 49:331-4. 2006..The use of common biochemical approaches led to misidentification of the isolate as Candida utilis. Sequencing of the internal transcribed spacer regions (ITS1 and ITS2) allowed unequivocal species identification...
- Prior caspofungin exposure in patients with hematological malignancies is a risk factor for subsequent fungemia due to decreased susceptibility in Candida spp.: a case-control study in Paris, FranceElodie Blanchard
INSERM U 657, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5358-61. 2011..25; 95% confidence interval [95% CI], 1.68-16.35) and with an age of ≤ 65 years (OR = 3.27; 95% CI, 1.26-8.50)...
- Central venous catheter-related Rhodotorula rubra fungemiaJin Won Chung
Division of Infectious Diseases, Asan Medical Center, Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Korea
J Infect Chemother 8:109-10. 2002With the increased use of indwelling central venous catheters, increasing numbers of cases of Rhodotorula fungemia have been observed in patients with neoplasia and neutropenia...
- Candida dubliniensis fungemia and vascular access infectionNevio Cimolai
Program of Microbiology, Virology, and Infection Control, British Columbia Children s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:237-9. 2002..The authors document a C. dubliniensis fungemia that occurred during the course of a vascular access infection in a 2-year-old who was undergoing active therapy ..
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia in an immunocompromised patient not treated with Saccharomyces boulardii preparationC Graf
J Infect 54:310-1. 2007
- Infection in a neonate caused by Pichia fabianii: importance of molecular identificationH S Bhally
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltinmore, MD 21187 093, USA
Med Mycol 44:185-7. 2006..This case illustrates that there are an increasing number of fungi that may be pathogenic. Phenotypic tests may fail to identify them, emphasizing the need for commercially available, molecular based assays for identification...
- Distribution and epidemiology of Candida species causing fungemia at a Saudi Arabian hospital, 1996-2004Jaffar A Al-Tawfiq
Internal Medicine Services Division, PO Box 76, Room A 420B, Building 61, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Saudi Aramco, Dhahran 31311, Saudi Arabia
Int J Infect Dis 11:239-44. 2007..We also describe the risk factors associated with mortality...
- Lindnera (Pichia) fabianii blood infection after mesenteric ischemiaFrédéric Gabriel
Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Med Mycol 50:310-4. 2012....
- [Performance of the Candida mannan antigen detection in patients with fungemia]D Rimek
Abteilung für Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Krankenhaushygiene, Universitat Rostock, D 18059 Rostock, Germany
Mycoses 47:23-6. 2004..We evaluated the Candida EIA with patients with proven fungemia caused by yeasts from which at least one serum sample was available...
- Rhodotorula fungemia of an intensive care unit patient and review of published casesAnastasia Spiliopoulou
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Patras, 26500 Patras, Greece
Mycopathologia 174:301-9. 2012Rhodotorula species are commensal yeasts that have emerged as a cause of life-threatening fungemia in severely immunocompromised patients...
- Fatal fungemia due to Phaeoacremonium inflatipes in a child with severe aplastic anemiaShu Chien Wang
Clin Infect Dis 40:1067-8. 2005
- Candida dubliniensis fungemia in a solid organ transplant patient: case report and review of the literatureG S Gottlieb
Department of Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle 981 95, USA
Med Mycol 39:483-5. 2001We report a case of Candida dubliniensis fungemia in a solid organ transplant patient, which, to our knowledge is the first such case in this patient population. C...
- Polymicrobial candidemiaSuzanne Pulimood
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 44:353-7. 2002..Polymicrobial candidemia is uncommon, seen in hospitalized patients with multiple co-morbidities and heavy candidal colonization; removal of vascular catheter and institution of antifungal therapy are important therapeutic maneuvers...
- Three cases of fungemia in HIV-infected patients diagnosed through the use of mycobacterial blood culture bottlesTomohiro Taniguchi
Department of Infectious Diseases, Osaka National Hospital
Intern Med 49:2179-83. 2010We treated three cases of fungemia in HIV-infected patients...
- Disseminated Penicillium marneffei infection with fungemia and endobronchial disease in an AIDS patient in ChinaZong Zhiyong
Department of Infectious Diseases, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, People s Republic of China
Med Princ Pract 15:235-7. 2006To present a rare Chinese case of disseminated Penicillium marneffei infection with fungemia and endobronchial disease in an AIDS patient.
- Candida glabrata fungemia cured by antibiotic-lock therapy: case report and short reviewA Angel-Moreno
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas y Medicina Tropical, Hospital Universitario Insular, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
J Infect 51:e85-7. 2005Catheter removal is now the standard recommendation of catheter-related fungemia even when tunneled devices are used. However, in the clinical practice, this procedure is not always without risks...
- [Kodamaea ohmeri fungemia associated with surgery]Ana García-Tapia
Servicio de Microbiologí a y Parasitología, Hospital Puerta del Mar, Calle Ana de Viya 13 2B, 11009 Cadiz, Spain
Rev Iberoam Micol 24:155-6. 2007We report a case of fungemia caused by Kodamaea (Pichia) ohmeri associated with surgery in a patient with a history of diabetes and chronic renal failure. Kodamaea ohmeri is a yeast rarely involved in human infections...
- Molecular investigation of a fungemia outbreak due to Candida parapsilosis in an intensive care unitMurat Dizbay
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and Infection Control Committee, Gazi University, Tokyo, Japan
Braz J Infect Dis 12:395-9. 2008We investigated a nosocomial cluster of four Candida parapsilosis fungemia episodes that occurred in a neurological intensive care unit over a two-week period...
- Kodamaea (Pichia) ohmeri fungemia in a pediatric patient admitted in a public hospitalJadson Duque De Barros
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte Natal, Brazil
Med Mycol 47:775-9. 2009..The current report describes a case of fungemia caused by K...
- Candida guilliermondii fungemia in patients with hematologic malignanciesCorrado Girmenia
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, University La Sapienza of Rome, Via Benevento 6, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 44:2458-64. 2006..To characterize C. guilliermondii fungemia in patients with hematological malignancies and its susceptibility to antifungal drugs, all cases of C...
- Pichia ohmeri fungemia in a hematologic patient: an emerging human pathogenF Ostronoff
Leuk Lymphoma 47:1949-51. 2006
- Coccidioides fungemia in six patients, with a review of the literatureDavid W Keckich
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Mycopathologia 170:107-15. 2010To identify demographics, clinical manifestations, and outcomes of patients with Coccidioides fungemia, we searched our institutional medical records to identify patients with Coccidioides fungemia treated between 1998 and 2008 and ..
- Transient fungemia caused by an amphotericin B-resistant isolate of Candida haemuloniiLaura Rodero
Departamento Micologia, INEI, ANLIS Dr Carlos G Malbran, Hospital Fernandez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 40:2266-9. 2002..In addition, the MICs of fluconazole for the three isolates were high. Further studies are needed in order to ascertain whether this species exhibits innate or acquired resistance to amphotericin B and other antifungal agents...
- Targeted Treatment of Early Cryptococcal Infection in HIV-infected PatientsANA CLAIRE LEW MEYER; Fiscal Year: 2012..population with early cryptococcal infection, many of whom already have sub-clinical meningeal infection or fungemia. Although the mainstay of anti-cryptococcal therapy in resource-limited settings is monotherapy with oral ..
- Novel Rinse to Treat Oral Candidiasis in Cancer PatientsBakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2007..system and causes the patient to become more susceptible to oral candidiasis and/or systemic fungal infections (fungemia, a fungal infection disseminated by the blood)...
- Cryptococcus traversal of Brain Endothelial cellsKwang Kim; Fiscal Year: 2007..neoformans invasion into the brain follows fungemia, and cerebral capillaries, not the choroid plexus, are the portal of entry. It is, however, unclear how C...
- THE SIGNIFICANCE OF FUNGURIA IN HOSPITALIZED PATIENTSLoren Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..whether funguria is independently associated with mortality and whether funguria is associated with or predicts fungemia. The robust size of these models will allow the applicant to control for known risks of mortality and fungemia ..
- Biology of Int1p in Canadida albicans FungemiaMARGARET HOSTETTER; Fiscal Year: 2006Candida albicans fungemia leads to excess medical costs of 800 million dollars per year...
- Antifungal sphingolipids for AIDS-related MycosesTADEUSZ MOLINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..Lead compounds will be selected for advanced in vivo evaluation in murine models of fungemia.
- Host-Response Relationships in Patients with CandidemiaMelissa Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2006..study of over 700 patients to systematically evaluate select factors associated with outcomes among patients with fungemia due to albicans and non-albicans Candida spp...
- Safety of Adenosine A2a Agonist for Treatment of SepsisSHANNON WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2007..rabbit models of sepsis: cecal ligation-puncture model (CLP) of polymicrobial bacteremia in mice and rabbits; and fungemia model (Candida albicans) in mice...
- The role of microbial organisms in acute lung injuryKevin Doerschug; Fiscal Year: 2007..Initial studies will include identifying bacteremia or fungemia in patients with SIRS (a common risk factor for sepsis and acute lung injury), using PCR to detect previously ..
- C. Neoformans Infection in Organ Transplant RecipientsNina Singh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the data regarding reactivation or primary infection has implications relevant for the prevention of C. neoformans infection in transplant recipients. ..
- Clinical Predictors of Antiretroviral FailureDaniel Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Prevention/diagnosis/fungal infections/transplantationBarbara Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2005..This approach will shorten the time from development to clinical implementation in therapeutic trials and guidelines. ..
- Early Diagnosis of Neonatal CandidiasisDaniel Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PHOSPHOLIPASE B: A VIRULENCE FACTOR FOR CANDIDA GLABRATACORNELIUS CLANCY; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Transplant Associated Infection Surveillance NetworkPeter Pappas; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the establishment of a bank will be invaluable in the development and validation of newer diagnostic assays. ..
- Oral and Vaginal Gene Expression by Candida During AIDSCORNELIUS CLANCY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Research and Mentoring in Infectious DiseaseKent Sepkowitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- Aerosolized PGE1 in Neonatal Pulmonary HypertensionBEENA SOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..If effective, a proposal for using aerosolized PGE1 in neonatal PPHN as a multicenter study will be submitted to the NICHD Neonatal Network. ..
- Epidemiology of HIV-1/HIV-2 Dual InfectionGeoffrey Gottlieb; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Effect of Glutamine on HSP-70 Expression in ICU patientsPaul Wischmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The potential for such an agent to reduce morbidity/mortality in surgical and critical illness is significant. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glutamine's role in cardioprotection from cardiac bypassPaul Wischmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will be collected on cardiac function (cardiac output), occurrence of arrhythmias, need for vasopressor therapy, length of post-operative ventilation, ICU stay; and survival trends. ..
- QUALITY OF LIFE AND RELATIONSHIPS AFTER BMTJohn Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2001..This information is essential to subsequent planning and implementation of relevant, well-aimed interventions to minimize psychosocial disruption and enhance growth in future BMT recipients and their loved ones. ..
- Compartmentalization of HIV within the genital tractDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PCR assays to detect individual pneumococcal serotypesLORRY RUBIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, they will be critical for determining the effects of current and future pneumococcal vaccines on serotype-specific carriage. ..
- Role of Inter-alpha Inhibitors in Anthrax IntoxicationSteven Opal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our research is focused on the development of a new and safe treatment based on the ability of inter-alpha proteins to prevent the fatal consequences of anthrax infection. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TUBERCULOSIS EDUCATION AND CONTROL PROGRAMHenry Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..Implementation and evaluation of an intensive education program for TB patients at GMH, including one-to-one counseling and low-literacy teaching aids will also be a component of this objective. ..
- Emory Mentored Clinical Research Scholar ProgramHenry Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pharmacogenomics/natural products + antifungal activityJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..Probing this array with eukaryotic mRNA from cells exposed to novel antifungals would predict common mechanism of action and likelihood of toxicity, activity and resistance. ..
- High Purity Amphotericin B: A Safer Antimycotic in AIDSJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..