Genomes and Genes
suppurative otitis media
Summary: Inflammation of the middle ear with purulent discharge.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Chronic suppurative otitis media and related complications at the University Clinic of KinshasaR N Matanda
Service d Oto Rhino Laryngologie, Cliniques Universitaires de Kinshasa, Université de Kinshasa B P 123 Kinshasa XI République Démocratique du Congo
B-ENT 1:57-62. 2005..2002, the ENT department of the University Clinic of Kinshasa treated 343 patients suffering from chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) and complications...
- Evaluation of topical povidone-iodine in chronic suppurative otitis mediaC Jaya
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:1098-100. 2003To evaluate if povidone-iodine (PVP-I) can be used topically in the treatment of chronic suppurative otitis media-tubotympanic disease and to compare it with ciprofloxacin hydrochloride ear drops.
- [Analysis of preoperative findings and ossicular condition in chronic suppurative otitis media]Hongyun Feng
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, 250012, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:7-8, 11. 2005To discussion the relationship of preoperative findings and ossicular condition in chronic suppurative otitis media.
- Role of glucocorticoids in ototopical antibiotic-steroid preparations in the treatment of chronic suppurative otitis mediaRamunnikutty Indudharan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
Arch Med Res 36:154-8. 2005..The present prospective randomized comparative study is designed to assess the role of glucocorticoids in ototopical antibiotic-steroid preparations in the treatment of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM).
- The role of retinol in the etiology and outcome of suppurative otitis mediaAkeem O Lasisi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:647-52. 2009..aim of this study is to determine the significance of the role of serum retinol in the etiology of acute suppurative otitis media (ASOM) and its chronicity (CSOM)...
- Cochlear implantation in chronic suppurative otitis mediaHussam K El-Kashlan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0312, USA
Otol Neurotol 23:53-5. 2002To evaluate management options for cochlear implantation in patients with chronic suppurative otitis media.
- Cochlear implantation and management of chronic suppurative otitis media: single stage procedure?S Basavaraj
Crosshouse Hospital, Scottish Cochlear Implant Centre, Kilmarnock, Scotland, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:852-5. 2005..Cholesteatoma reoccurred in one patient 9 years after cochlear implantation. Surgical procedures, complications, follow-up and outcomes are discussed...
- Mucosal biofilm formation on middle-ear mucosa in a nonhuman primate model of chronic suppurative otitis mediaJoseph E Dohar
Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, 3705 5th Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Laryngoscope 115:1469-72. 2005..Perhaps the best studied pathogen for its propensity toward biofilm formation is Pseudomonas aeruginosa, also the primary pathogen in chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM).
- The prevalence of hearing loss among schoolchildren with chronic suppurative otitis media in Nigeria, and its effect on academic performanceFatai Olatoke
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria
Ear Nose Throat J 87:E19. 2008..the prevalence of hearing loss among 1,500 Nigerian schoolchildren aged 9 to 15 years who had chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM)...
- Chronic suppurative otitis media: a clinical overviewPeter S Roland
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 81:8-10. 2002
- Efficacy of ofloxacin and other ototopical preparations for chronic suppurative otitis media in childrenC D Bluestone
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and the Department of Pediatrics Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:111-5; discussion 120-2. 2001..However, treatment with ofloxacin is FDA-approved when AOM occurs in children who have a tympanostomy tube in place, and effective treatment of this acute infection should prevent the subsequent development of CSOM...
- Predictors of chronic suppurative otitis media in childrenErwin L van der Veen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, and Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:1115-8. 2006To determine which factors predict development of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in children.
- Mycoplasma bovis-associated suppurative otitis media and pneumonia in bull calvesT Maeda
Hokkaido Research Station, National Institute of Animal Health, 4 Hitsujigaoka, Toyohira, Sapporo 062 0045, Japan
J Comp Pathol 129:100-10. 2003..The present results show that M. bovis spreads to multiple organs and is capable of invading various kinds of host cell. The intracellular localization may be favourable for evading host immune responses...
- Clinical and demographic risk factors associated with chronic suppurative otitis mediaAkeem O Lasisi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:1549-54. 2007The incidence of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) is high worldwide but increasing occurrence of complications appear peculiar to West Africa...
- Chronic suppurative otitis media: a reviewMonique Verhoeff
Department of Otorhinolaryngology KE04 140 5, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Centre Utrecht, P O Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1-12. 2006Chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) remains one of the most common childhood chronic infectious diseases worldwide...
- Bacteriology of chronic suppurative otitis media--a multicenter studySeung Geun Yeo
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1062-7. 2007..Bacterial predominance and antibiotic sensitivity have changed over time, making continuous and periodic surveillance necessary in guiding appropriate antibacterial therapy...
- Bacteriological study of paediatric and adult chronic suppurative otitis mediaSantosh Saini
Department of Pathology, Pt B D Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 48:413-6. 2005Chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) is one of the commonest illnesses in ENT practice which requires medical attention all the more in children of poor socio-economic status having in past inadequate treatment and negligent medical ..
- Effectiveness of ototopical antibiotics for chronic suppurative otitis media in Aboriginal children: a community-based, multicentre, double-blind randomised controlled trialSophie Couzos
National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, PO Box 168, Deakin, ACT 2600, Australia
Med J Aust 179:185-90. 2003..3%; CIP) with framycetin (0.5%), gramicidin, dexamethasone (FGD) eardrops (5 drops twice daily for 9 days) together with povidone-iodine (0.5%) ear cleaning as treatments for chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in Aboriginal children.
- Morphological evidence of biofilm formation in Greenlanders with chronic suppurative otitis mediaPreben Homøe
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, F 2071, Rigshospitalet, University Hospital of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1533-8. 2009Biofilm may explain the recurrences and recalcitrant episodes of otorrhea in chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM). This study investigates bacterial biofilm in Greenlanders with CSOM and chronic otitis media with effusion (COME)...
- The impact of chronic suppurative otitis media on children's and teenagers' hearingLuciana Fick Silveira Netto
Ear, Nose and Throat Service, Chronic Otitis Media Ambulatory Care Center, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1751-6. 2009..bone conduction thresholds and air-bone gaps of children and teenagers between those with chronic suppurative otitis media with cholesteatoma and those without cholesteatoma...
- Subjective evaluation and overall satisfaction after tympanoplasty for chronic simple suppurative otitis mediaShunkichi Baba
Department of Otorhinolaringology, Chiba Hokuso Hospital, Nippon Medical School, 1715 Kamagari, Inba, Chiba 270 1694, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 71:17-24. 2004A questionnaire survey was conducted in 324 patients with chronic, simple, suppurative otitis media who had undergone tympanoplasty 6 months or more previously to investigate post-operative hearing, tinnitus, vertigo, occlusive feeling of ..
- Chronic suppurative otitis media in school pupils in NigeriaF E Ologe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
East Afr Med J 80:130-4. 2003..To compare the prevalence of chronic supperative otitis media (CSOM) among two populations of school children...
- Topical ciprofloxin versus topical framycetin-gramicidin-dexamethasone in Australian aboriginal children with recently treated chronic suppurative otitis media: a randomized controlled trialAmanda Leach
Menzies School of Health Research, Darwin, Australia
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:692-8. 2008Chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) affects many children in disadvantaged populations. The most appropriate topical antibiotic treatment in children with persistent disease is unclear.
- Challenges in management of chronic suppurative otitis media in a developing countryO V Akinpelu
Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
J Laryngol Otol 122:16-20. 2008In developing countries, the rate of complications from chronic suppurative otitis media is still high, due to factors associated with poverty...
- Pathogenic agents of chronic suppurative otitis media in Ilorin, NigeriaC Nwabuisi
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria
East Afr Med J 79:202-5. 2002To determine the type and pattern of antibiotic susceptibility of the pathogenic micro-organisms causing chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in our environment.
- Quantitative bacterial cultures and beta-lactamase activity in chronic suppurative otitis mediaI Brook
Naval Medical Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 98:293-7. 1989Aspiration of the exudate through open perforation was performed in 54 children with chronic suppurative otitis media. Eighty aerobic and 81 anaerobic isolates were recovered...
- Antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus from otorrhea in chronic suppurative otitis media and comparison with results of all isolated StaphylococciD C Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, Catholic University, Suwon, South Korea
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:571-7. 2008Staphylococcus is one of the most important pathogenic bacteria in chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM)...
- Chronic suppurative otitis media, caloric testing, and rotational chair testingGerard J Gianoli
The Ear and Balance Institute, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70816, USA
Otol Neurotol 29:13-5. 2008To determine the incidence of caloric and rotational chair testing (ROT) abnormalities in a group of patients with chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) and to correlate caloric test results with ROT.
- Labyrinthine fistula: a complication of chronic suppurative otitis mediaD S Grewal
Department of Otolaryngology, T N Medical College and B Y L Nair Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Laryngol Otol 117:353-7. 2003A labyrinthine fistula is a frequent complication of long-standing unsafe chronic suppurative otitis media. It is characterized by a slowly progressive erosion of the bony labyrinth...
- Bacteriology of chronic suppurative otitis media in congolese childrenD T Nyembue
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kinshasa University Hospital, Kinshasa 11, Democratic Republic of Congo
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 57:205-8. 2003The study intended to identify bacteria active in the chronic suppurative otitis media and to determine their sensitivity to current antibiotics.
- Unusually positioned abscesses of the head and neck following suppurative otitis mediaClare Onyon
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham B4 6NH
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 68:270-1. 2007
- A case of an inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the mastoid presenting with chronic suppurative otitis mediaKwang Jae Cho
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Secho gu, Seoul 137 701, Republic of Korea
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:523-6. 2007..The initial clinical diagnosis was chronic suppurative otitis media and mastoiditis, and the patient underwent a canal-wall down tympanomastoidectomy through a ..
- Microbiology of chronic suppurative otitis media in SingaporeA H C Loy
Department of Otolaryngology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Singapore Med J 43:296-9. 2002The objective of the study was to study the microflora and the antibiograms of patients with chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in Singapore. Ninety patients with CSOM were prospectively studied...
- Epidemiology of chronic suppurative otitis media among Saudi children--a comparative study of two decadesSiraj M Zakzouk
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 62:215-8. 2002An epidemiological survey to study the prevalence of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) was completed in February 2000. About 9540 children aged up to 12 years were examined clinically by an otolaryngologist. All 125 children (1...
- The role of anaerobic bacteria in chronic suppurative otitis media in children: implications for medical therapyItzhak Brook
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Anaerobe 14:297-300. 2008This review describes the microbiology, diagnosis and medical management of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in children highlighting the role of anaerobic bacteria...
- Prevalence of chronic suppurative otitis media among the children living in two selected slums of Dhaka CityN Kamal
Lalkuthi Maternity and Child Health Sub Center, Dhaka
Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 30:95-104. 2004Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media (CSOM) is one of the important health problems in our country. Serious complications may arise from it...
- [Microorganisms isolated from middle ear cultures and their antibacterial susceptibility in patients with chronic suppurative otitis media]H Cem Gul
Department of Infectious Diseases, Gumussuyu Military Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 16:164-8. 2006This study sought to determine causative microorganisms of chronic suppurative otitis media and their antibacterial susceptibility.
- Prevalence of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) among school children in a rural community in NigeriaF E Ologe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
Niger Postgrad Med J 9:63-6. 2002..The highest is seen among the age group of 2-5 years. Unilateral disease was most prevalent (79.5%); 99% of the pupils had tubotympanic disease. Active disease was observed in 27.7% of the cases of CSOM...
- Chronic suppurative otitis media in Tanzanian school children and its effects on hearingB M Minja
ORL Department, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, P O Box 650001, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
East Afr Med J 83:322-5. 2006To compare different treatment regimens of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in school children, in regard to their consequence in hearing and discharge from the ear drum perforation.
- Complications of chronic suppurative otitis media and their managementSiba P Dubey
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, Port Moresby General Hospital, Papua, New Guinea
Laryngoscope 117:264-7. 2007The objective of this is to determine the incidence of otogenic complications of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) and its management.
- [Evaluation of the efficacy of ceftriaxone in acute suppurative otitis media and acute exacerbation of chronic suppurative otitis media. A comparative study with cefotiam as the control]S Baba
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Nagoya City University
Jpn J Antibiot 42:212-47. 1989..efficacy and the safety of ceftriaxone (CTRX) using once daily administration of 1 g to cases of acute suppurative otitis media and acute exacerbation of chronic suppurative otitis media, a group comparison study by the envelope ..
- Is there a role for virtual otoscopy in the preoperative assessment of the ossicular chain in chronic suppurative otitis media? Comparison of HRCT and virtual otoscopy with surgical findingsA K Pandey
Department of Radiology, St Paul Hospital, University of British Columbia, 704, 989 Nelson Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z2S1, Canada
Eur Radiol 19:1408-16. 2009..otoscopy and 3D ossicular reconstruction in the preoperative assessment of the ossicles in chronic suppurative otitis media. Thirty three patients of chronic suppurative otitis media with conductive deafness (air-bone gap > 35 ..
- Observation of hearing loss in patients with chronic suppurative otitis media tubotympanic typeM Maharjan
Department of Ear Nose and Throat, Kathmandu Medical College Teaching Hospital, Sinamangal, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 7:397-401. 2009..This study is carried out to find out the relation between size and site of tympanic membrane perforation and duration of ear discharge on hearing loss...
- Microbiology and drug sensitivity patterns of chronic suppurative otitis mediaMuhammad Azeem Aslam
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Foundation University Medical College, Rawalpindi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 14:459-61. 2004..To identify the commonest microorganisms associated with chronic discharging ears and their antimicrobial sensitivities...
- Sensorineural hearing loss in chronic suppurative otitis media with and without cholesteatomaAlexandre Fernandes de Azevedo
Santa Casa de Misericordia, Belo Horizonte
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 73:671-4. 2007Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) related to chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) was studied to clarify the involvement of cholesteatomas in this context.
- Evidence behind the WHO guidelines: hospital care for children: what is the most effective antibiotic regime for chronic suppurative otitis media in children?Georgia Woodfield
University of Edinburgh, Scotland
J Trop Pediatr 54:151-6. 2008
- Intratemporal and intracranial complications of acute suppurative otitis media in children: renewed interestI J Dhooge
Department of ENT, University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 49:S109-14. 1999..We have to maintain a high level of clinical awareness. If there is insufficient improvement of the patient with the appropriate conservative treatment, radioimaging followed by the necessary surgical procedures should be performed...
- Probabilities of ossicular discontinuity in chronic suppurative otitis media using pure-tone audiometryRyner Jose C Carrillo
Department of Anatomy, Philippine General Hospital, Ermita, Manila, Philippines
Otol Neurotol 28:1034-7. 2007To analyze the likelihood ratios (LRs) and predictive values of preoperative air-bone gap (ABG) levels on the presence of gross ossicular discontinuity (OD) among chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) patients.
- Socio-economic status and hearing loss in chronic suppurative otitis media in NigeriaAkeem Olawale Lasisi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Ann Trop Paediatr 27:291-6. 2007Hearing loss is reported in about 50% of cases of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM).
- Bacteriology of chronic discharging ears in Port Harcourt, NigeriaB A Wariso
Box 190, Uniport Post Office, University of Port Harcourt Port Harcourt, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 25:219-22. 2006..The objective of the study was to isolate and identify aerobic bacteria in chronic discharging ears and determine their antibiotic susceptibilities, which is essential for reasonable empiric treatment...
- Long-term follow-up evaluation of mastoidectomy in children with non-cholesteatomatous chronic suppurative otitis mediaJonas Rickers
ENT Department, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:711-5. 2006In spite of declining prevalence chronic suppurative otitis media without cholesteatoma (CSOM) still poses a significant health problem. Randomized clinical trials comparing medical and surgical intervention are not available...
- Cochlear implantation in the chronically diseased earHussam K El-Kashlan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0312, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 12:384-6. 2004..This review discusses options for cochlear implantation in patients with chronically diseased ears...
- [Tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy in patients with large perforation of tympanic membrane in pars tensa]Ruiming Xia
Department of Otolaryngology, the People s Hospital of Peking University, Beijing, 100044, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:439-41. 2005..To present the experiences of tympanoplasty in patients with large perforation of tympanic membrane in pars tensa...
- Effect of the thickness of the cartilage disk on the hearing results after perichondrium/cartilage island flap tympanoplastyAhmed Atef
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 69:207-11. 2007..Our hypothesis was that thinning the rigid thick cartilage disk to half of its thickness could increase the compliance and give better acoustic gain and hearing results to patients with a reconstructed tympanic membrane...
- Infective causes of facial nerve paralysisTimothy P Makeham
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Otol Neurotol 28:100-3. 2007..To review the functional recovery in a cohort of patients with facial nerve paralysis (FNP) due to infective cause...
- How we do it: tympanoplasty: are different three- and four-frequency averages comparable?P J D Dawes
Department of ORL HNS, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Clin Otolaryngol 31:321-4. 2006..When comparing surgical results with others, surgeons should use reports employing comparable audiometric measures of analysis...
- Clinical and microbiological profiles of ear infections in Osogbo, NigeriaJ E Tobih
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, Ladoke Akintola University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
Trop Doct 36:165-6. 2006..We present in this report the microbiological characteristics of DE over a 3-year-period at the ENT clinic of Ladoke Akintola University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Southwest Nigeria...
- Intracranial abscesses associated with chronic suppurative otitis mediaHuseyin Seven
Department of Otolaryngology, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:847-51. 2005Intracranial abscesses are serious complications of chronic suppurative otitis media (COM). This study included 32 patients presenting with intracranial abscesses from 780 patients hospitalized for treatment of COM...
- Reconstruction of old radical cavities and long-term resultsGiuseppe Magliulo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Audiology and Phoniatrics, G Ferreri, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Otolaryngol 33:155-9. 2004..These results could be a consequence of an alteration in the function of the eustachian tube and of the severity of the preoperative pathologic processes...
- Prevalence of CSOM among rural school going childrenA C Biswas
Department of Otolaryngology and Head Neck Surgery, BMC, Dhaka
Mymensingh Med J 14:152-5. 2005..29% received treatment of which 25% from MBBS doctor or Hospital and 7.14%, 35.71%, 10.71%, 10.71% received it from Kabiraj, Quack, Homeopathy doctor, and salesman of pharmacy respectively...
- Investigation of Helicobacter pylori in the middle ear of the patients with chronic otitis media by CLO test and 14C urea breath testMuharrem Dagli
Otolaryngology Department, Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Otol Neurotol 27:871-3. 2006..We also investigated the relationship between H. pylori in the stomach and in the middle ear by 14C urea breath test (14C UBT) for the possible source of this bacterium...
- Prevalence of middle ear pathologies in children with bilateral sensorineural hearing lossKamal Eldin Ahmed Abou-Elhamd
Sohag Faculty of Medicine, Sohag, Egypt
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1081-4. 2006..These children may have middle ear problem, this will aggravate the level of hearing loss which may lead to delay in their ability to speak. This study is to highlight the prevalence of middle ear pathology in SNHL children...
- Topical quinolone vs. antiseptic for treating chronic suppurative otitis media: a randomized controlled trialCarolyn Macfadyen
International Health Research Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:190-7. 2005To compare a topical quinolone antibiotic (ciprofloxacin) with a cheaper topical antiseptic (boric acid) for treating chronic suppurative otitis media in children.
- Extracranial complications of chronic suppurative otitis mediaM M Hossain
Mymensingh Medical College and Hospital
Mymensingh Med J 15:4-9. 2006....
- Management of the draining ear in childrenAshley Schroeder
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA, USA
Pediatr Ann 33:843-53. 2004..In such cases, prompt referral to the otolaryngologist can facilitate accurate diagnosis and successful management...
- [Application of the tragus cartilage ring with perichondrium in open-ended tympanoplasty]Xiongguang Liu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, People s Hospital of Beihai, Beihai, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:1-3, 6. 2005..To investigate the effect of the application of tragus cartilage ring with perichondrium in open-ended tympanoplasty and it's long-term results...
- Anterior subannular T-tube for prolonged middle ear ventilation during tympanoplasty: evaluation of efficacy and complicationsR G Elluru
Department of Otolaryngology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S. Euclid Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110
Otol Neurotol 22:761-5. 2001..CONCLUSION: Anterior subannular tympanostomy is a safe and effective method for long-term middle ear ventilation in patients with chronic eustachian tube dysfunction...
- [Two terms tympanoplasty in chronic suppurative otitis media]K Li
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Shanghai First People's Hospital, Shanghai 200080
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 15:442-3. 2001OBJECTIVE: To explore the clinical manifestations and therapeutic effects of treating chronic suppurative otitis media with two terms tympanoplasty. METHOD: 36 patients were retrospectively analyzed...
- Revision surgery for chronic otitis media: recurrent-residual disease and hearingStephen O'Leary
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Melbourne, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Laryngol Otol 116:996-1000. 2002..Revision ICW and CWD operations were both successful in controlling signs of COM. Cholesteatoma is a peripheral risk in COM and may become apparent after revision surgery...
- Selection of surgical interference in mastoidectomy with tympanoplastyYang Liu
Navy General Hospital PLA, Beijing 100037, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 82:1261-2. 2002To discuss the long-term results of different surgical patterns for chronic suppurative otitis media.
- The changes of MRSA infections in chronic suppurative otitis mediaMoo Kyun Park
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Guro Gu, Seoul, Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139:395-8. 2008..of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) and hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) infections in the otorrhea of chronic suppurative otitis media (COM) patients.
- Update on topical ototoxicity in chronic suppurative otitis mediaJohn Rutka
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Toronto
Ear Nose Throat J 81:18-9. 2002
- Chronic suppurative otitis media in indigenous populations: the Australian aborigineHarvey Coates
Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, Western Australia
Ear Nose Throat J 81:11-2. 2002
- Microbiology and management of chronic suppurative otitis media in childrenI Brook
J Trop Pediatr 49:196-9. 2003
- Treatment of chronic suppurative otitis media with ofloxacin in hydroxypropyl methylcellulose ear drops: a clinical/bacteriological study in a rural area of MalawiPiet van Hasselt
Ear Clinic, Bamalete Lutheran Hospital, Ramotswa, Botswana
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 63:49-56. 2002Chronic suppurative otitis media in young children is a major problem in Africa, with socio-economic consequences at a later age. Common treatment regimens with antibiotics are expensive and often not practically feasible...
- Bacterial agents of discharging ears and antimicrobial sensitivity patterns in children in Ibadan, NigeriaA A Oni
Department of Microbiology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 20:131-5. 2001..Ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin showed the highest activity to all isolates, while two third of the isolates were sensitive to azithromycin, cefuroxime, ceftriazone and gentimicin...
- Adipose graft: an original option in myringoplastyS Ayache
Otorhinolaryngology and Cervical and Facial Surgery Federation, La Timone Hospital, Marseille Cedex, France
Otol Neurotol 24:158-64. 2003..To describe the fat graft as a reconstructive material in myringoplasty...
- The morphology of central tympanic membrane perforationsA Nepal
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Nepal Med Coll J 9:239-44. 2007..Dry, clean central tympanic membrane perforations due to various causes like chronic suppurative otitis media-tubotympanic, post acute suppurative otitis media residual perforations or simple traumatic perforations ..
- [Use of topical ciprofloxacin in chronic suppurating otitis media]A Ramos
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Universitario Insular de Gran Canaria
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 54:485-90. 2003..A prospective study is presented. We carry out an analysis of the results obtained after treatment with different protocols of administration of ciprofloxacin, during the active phase in chronic otitis media and in chronic otorrhea...
- Anterior transcanal tympanoplasty: a novel technique to repair anterior perforationsMichael D Seidman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Henry Ford Health System, Bloomfield, MI 48322, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:242-5. 2008..To report a novel, minimally invasive technique for anterior tympanic membrane (TM) perforation repair...
- [Guidelines in macrolide therapy for children with suppurative otitis media]Yukiko Iino
Jpn J Antibiot 56:167-70. 2003
- Cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea presenting in complicated chronic suppurative otitis mediaVikram Bhat
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli, Karnataka, India
Ear Nose Throat J 86:223-5. 2007..of antibiotics, the simultaneous occurrence of multiple intra- and extracranial complications in chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) has been uncommon...
- Topical ofloxacin for chronic suppurative otitis media and acute exacerbation of chronic otitis media: optimum duration of treatmentKenji Suzuki
Department of Otolaryngology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Fujita Health University, Nagoya, Japan
Otol Neurotol 24:447-52. 2003To assess the optimum duration of topical ofloxacin therapy for chronic otitis media and to compare the response between patients with chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) and acute exacerbation of chronic otitis media (AE).
- Management of chronic suppurative otitis mediaAlan E Dugdale
Med J Aust 180:91; author reply 92-3. 2004
- Pooled analysis of two clinical trials comparing the clinical outcomes of topical ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone otic suspension and polymyxin B/neomycin/hydrocortisone otic suspension for the treatment of acute otitis externa in adults and childrenAteequr Rahman
School of Pharmacy, Shenandoah University, Winchester, Virginia 22601, USA
Clin Ther 29:1950-6. 2007..3%/dexamethasone 0.1% (CD) otic suspension with that of those receiving polymyxin B/neomycin/ hydrocortisone (PNH) otic suspension for the treatment of acute otitis externa (AOE)...
- Ofloxacin otic solution: a review of its use in the management of ear infectionsK L Simpson
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 58:509-31. 1999..It is also effective in the treatment of chronic suppurative otitis media in adolescents and adults with perforated tympanic membranes (75 to 91% clinical cure rate)...
- Current status of bacterial resistance in the otolaryngology field: results from the Second Nationwide Survey in JapanKenji Suzuki
Department of Otolaryngology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Fujita Health University, 3 6 10 Otobashi, Nakagawa Ku, Nagoya 454 8509, Japan
J Infect Chemother 9:46-52. 2003The study reported here was a nationwide assessment of otitis media (466 patients with acute suppurative otitis media and 476 with chronic suppurative otitis media), sinusitis (447 with acute sinusitis and 426 with chronic sinusitis), ..
- [Cochlear implantation in patients with otitis media-related lesions]Ruiming Xia
Department of Otolaryngology, the People s Hospital of Peking University, Beijing, 100044, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:289-92. 2005..To present the experiences of cochlear implantation (CI) in patients with otitis media-related lesions...
- Complications of otitis media in Indigenous and non-Indigenous childrenTony E O'Connor
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 191:S60-4. 2009..media with effusion and acute otitis media predominate among non-Indigenous children, whereas chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) occurs most commonly among Indigenous children...
- Pneumococcal vaccination and otitis media in Australian Aboriginal infants: comparison of two birth cohorts before and after introduction of vaccinationGrant Austin Mackenzie
Bacterial Diseases Program, Medical Research Council UK Laboratories, Fajara, Gambia
BMC Pediatr 9:14. 2009..We assessed the effectiveness of pneumococcal vaccination for prevention of otitis media in this setting...
- Otitis media in young Aboriginal children from remote communities in Northern and Central Australia: a cross-sectional surveyPeter S Morris
Ear Health and Education Unit, Menzies School of Health Research, Darwin, Australia
BMC Pediatr 5:27. 2005..The aim of the study was to determine the prevalence of middle ear disease (otitis media) in a high-risk population of young Aboriginal children from remote communities in Northern and Central Australia...
- The BAHA hearing system for hearing-impaired postirradiated nasopharyngeal cancer patients: a new indicationGordon Soo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Otol Neurotol 30:496-501. 2009..often renders them hearing challenged and facing difficulties from treatment sequelae such as chronic suppurative otitis media and osteoradionecrosis...
- [Destruction of ossicular chain and its impact on hearing of patients with chronic suppurative otitis media]Fugao Zhu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, Qingdao, 266003, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:312-4. 2008To study the characteristic of destructive ossicular chain and to evaluate integrity of ossicular chain and its impact on bone-conduction hearing of patients with chronic suppurative otitis media.
- Proteus penneri isolated from the pus of a patient with epidural abscessZ Li
Bacteriological Laboratory, Second Affiliated Hospital, Hebei Medical College, Shijiazhuang, China
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:144-8. 1992..penneri are recent additions to the genus. We isolated P. penneri from the pus of a patient with suppurative otitis media and an epidural abscess...
- Epidemiology of otitis media in a local tropical African populationY B Amusa
Department of Surgery, ENT Unit, College of Health Sciences, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 24:227-30. 2005..Otitis media is one of the most common childhood infections. There are however very few community based studies on the prevalence of this disease in Nigeria children...
- Antimicrobial utilization pattern in out patient services of ENT department of tertiary care hospital of Eastern NepalB P Das
Deparment of Pharmacology, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Ghopa, Dharan, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 3:370-5. 2005..The objective of this study was to monitor the antimicrobial utilization in ENT out patient services in a tertiary care hospital of Nepal...
- [Burow's solution treatment for external auditory canal and mastoid cavity cholesteatoma]Yoshihiko Terayama
Otorhinolaryngological Clinic, Asabu Hospital, Sapporo
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 113:549-55. 2010..2000) to act on chronic suppurative otitis media without ototoxicity...
- Otitis media in children: seasonal changes and socioeconomic levelLucio A Castagno
Clínica Dr Castagno, Rua General Osório, 1585, 96020 000, Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 62:129-34. 2002..Our objective was to determine the frequency of otitis media (OM) in relation to socioeconomic and seasonal factors in a city in southern Brazil...
- In vitro and in vivo antimicrobial activity of topical ofloxacin and other ototopical agentsJ O Klein
Maxwell Finland Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, Boston Medical Center, MA 02118, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:102-3; discussion 120-2. 2001..acute otitis media identified by otorrhea in patients who have tympanostomy tubes (AOM-TT) and chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM)...
- The performance of Cochlin-tomoprotein detection test in the diagnosis of perilymphatic fistulaTetsuo Ikezono
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Audiol Neurootol 15:168-74. 2010..To establish a definite diagnostic test for PLF using CTP as a biochemical marker, we examined the diagnostic performance of the CTP detection test...
- Compared to placebo, long-term antibiotics resolve otitis media with effusion (OME) and prevent acute otitis media with perforation (AOMwiP) in a high-risk population: a randomized controlled trialAmanda J Leach
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
BMC Pediatr 8:23. 2008For children at high risk of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM), strategies to prevent acute otitis media with perforation (AOMwiP) may reduce progression to CSOM.
- PATHOGENESIS OF CHRONIC SUPPURATIVE OTITIS MEDIAMargaret Kenna; Fiscal Year: 1992This project will investigate certain aspects of the etiology, pathogenesis, and management of chronic suppurative otitis media without cholesteatoma (CSOM)...
- Recurrent otitis media and COPD: immunity and vaccinesTimothy Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed studies will advance the field of vaccine development to prevent otitis media and respiratory tract infections in COPD. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A VACCINE FOR MORAXELLA CATARRHALISTimothy Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2009..catarrhalis surface, the identification of surface antigens expressed specifically during human infection and critical information about the human immune response to surface antigens of M. catarrhalis. ..
- Ninth Symposium on Cochlear Implants for ChildrenJohn Niparko; Fiscal Year: 2003..250) presentations. Panel discussions (n=3) will be scheduled, as will technical updates (n=3). Proceedings of the 9th Symposium will be published in the Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. ..
- The Effects of Resveratrol on PresbyacusisMichael Seidman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, these data will provide novel strategies to impart greater wellness in the elderly population and perhaps have a positive effect on health care expenses. ..
- Role of Virus and Genetic Susceptibility in Otitis MediaCuneyt Alper; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results will be used in the design of future studies that prevent OM by moderating vURI pathogenesis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular biology of deafness in the Meniere's ModelCLIFF MEGERIAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..