Summary: Abscess of the PSOAS MUSCLES resulting usually from disease of the lumbar vertebrae, with the pus descending into the muscle sheath. The infection is most commonly tuberculous or staphylococcal.
Publications178 found, 100 shown here
- [Psoas abscess. Etiology and treatment]C Tonus
Chirurgische Klinik I, Klinik fUr Allgemein, Visceral, Gefäss und Thorax Chirurgie, Klinikum Offenbach, Germany
Chirurg 73:1059-62. 2002b>Psoas abscess is in general a syndrome with low incidence. In the following, two cases are presented which describe the etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of primary and secondary retroperitoneal manifestations...
- [Abscess of the psoas muscle. Description of a series of 23 cases]S Penado
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 19:257-60. 2001..METHODS: The presentation and management of psoas abscess was studied retrospectively in 23 patients from 1992 2000...
- Primary psoas abscess. Report of three casesJ Melissas
Department of Surgical Oncology, Heraklion, University Hospital, Greece
Acta Chir Belg 102:114-7. 2002..Primary psoas abscesses are a rare clinical entity with subtle and non specific symptoms, most commonly seen in patients predisposed to infections. Early diagnosis and appropriate management are therefore challenging aspects for physicians...
- Post-pneumonia pyogenic psoas abscessWilliam T O'Brien
Department of Radiology, David Grant U S Air Force Medical Center, 101 Bodin Circle Travis Air Force Base, CA 94535, USA
Pediatr Radiol 35:1031-2. 2005
- [Pyogenic psoas abscess: six cases and review of the literature]S Audia
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hôpital d Enfants, CHU de Dijon, 10, Boulevard du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 21079 Dijon Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 27:828-35. 2006b>Psoas abscess is a rare disease in developed countries. Its diagnosis is difficult and any delay could lead to a worsen prognosis. The aim of this study is to determine the best diagnostic and therapeutic practices.
- Microbiology and outcome of iliopsoas abscess in 124 patientsVicente Navarro López
Infectious Diseases Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital de Torrevieja, Alicante, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 88:120-30. 2009..Among those with secondary IPA, most abscesses are secondary to a skeletal source. A bacterial etiology can be identified in most cases. The overall prognosis of patients with this condition is good...
- Psoas abscess in patients with an infected aortic aneurysmRon Bin Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Vasc Surg 46:230-5. 2007b>Psoas abscess is an uncommon disease, and its presenting features are usually nonspecific. Infected aortic aneurysms could be complicated by psoas abscess.
- Computed tomography-guided percutaneous catheter drainage of primary and secondary iliopsoas abscessesM Cantasdemir
Department of Radiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Kocamustafapasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Radiol 58:811-5. 2003..To report our experience with computed tomography (CT)-guided percutaneous catheter drainage (PCD) of iliopsoas abscesses...
- Metastatic carcinoma of the cervix presenting as a psoas abscess in an HIV-negative womanK Devendra
Division of Gynaecological Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 44:302-3. 2003A case of advanced carcinoma of the cervix presenting as a psoas abscess is described. This unusual presentation has been reported in association with AIDS but is extremely rare in HIV-negative women...
- Nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi presenting as a primary psoas abscess: case report and review of the literatureWilliam A Shakespeare
University of Utah School of Medicine, University of Hospitals and Clinics, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:996-8. 2005We report an unusual case of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi presenting as a primary psoas abscess. The isolate tested susceptible to ciprofloxacin but resistant to nalidixic acid in vitro, a pattern associated with fluoroquinolone ..
- Pneumococcal vertebral osteomyelitis and psoas abscess in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus disclosing positivity of pneumococcal urinary antigen assayMasami Matsumura
Research Center for Medical Education, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Intern Med 50:2357-60. 2011..On day 3, severe low back pain acutely occurred. Pneumococcal vertebral osteomyelitis and psoas abscess was diagnosed 17 days later by yield of penicillin-susceptible S...
- Diagnosis and treatment of pyogenic psoas abscess in diabetic patients: usefulness of computed tomography and gallium-67 scanningP F Kao
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University School of Medicine, Republic of China, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Urology 57:246-51. 2001..examine retrospectively the clinical presentations, microbiologic characteristics, and treatment outcomes of psoas abscess in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) and to assess the usefulness of computed tomography and gallium-67 ..
- Percutaneous drainage of psoas abscess under real-time computed tomography fluoroscopic guidanceTakuji Yamagami
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, 465 Kajii chyo, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Skeletal Radiol 38:275-80. 2009..The goal of our study was to determine the usefulness of percutaneous abscess drainage under guidance of computed tomography (CT) fluoroscopy...
- Diffuse xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis with psoas abscess in a pregnant womanR Loffroy
Service de Radiologie et Imagerie Médicale Diagnostique et Thérapeutique, CHU Le Bocage, Dijon Cedex, France
Can J Urol 14:3507-9. 2007We report the first case, to our knowledge, of xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis (XGP) with psoas abscess occurring during pregnancy. A 37-year-old woman in the third trimester of pregnancy presented with low back pain and a fever...
- A case of primary psoas abscess presenting as buttock abscessJae Ho Yoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Soonchunhyang University Hospital, Bucheon, Gyeonggi Do, 420 767, South Korea
J Orthop Traumatol 10:207-10. 2009Buttock abscess is a rare clinical manifestation from unusual extrapelvic extension of psoas abscess. A 48-year-old woman presented with painful swelling of the buttock with a sense of local heat...
- Klebsiella pneumoniae psoas abscess: predominance in diabetic patients and grave prognosis in gas-forming casesC M Chang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 34:201-6. 2001Seven cases of psoas abscess caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae were observed at the National Cheng Kung University Hospital within a period of 4.5 years...
- Psoas abscess in obstetricsSunesh Kumar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:247-9. 2009b>Psoas abscess is rarely encountered in obstetric practice. This condition may be primary or secondary resulting from extension of an infectious process near the psoas muscle...
- Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis complicated by psoas abscessD Kudalkar
WInfectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Heart Lung 33:339-42. 2004..The definitive treatment for xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis is antimicrobial therapy and nephrectomy. We present a case of xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis complicated by psoas abscess.
- Primary psoas abscessSunita N Agrawal
Department of Internal Medicine, St Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital, Pontiac, Michigan 48341, USA
Dig Dis Sci 47:2103-5. 2002b>Psoas abscess is an uncommon condition with varied etiology. Diagnosis is based on symptoms, signs, and CT scan of the abdomen. Treatment consists of adequate drainage either percutaneously or surgically with antibiotic coverage...
- Pyogenic psoas abscess: case series and literature reviewAbdul Rehman Alvi
Department of Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Trop Doct 40:56-8. 2010..Five patients underwent radiologically-guided percutaneous drainage and one required open surgical drainage of the abscess cavity. Optimal results were achieved in all cases except one who died of acute myocardial infarction...
- Xanthogranulamatous pyelonephritis with psoas abscess: 2 cases and review of the literatureCabir Alan
Department of Urology, University of Istanbul, Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 36:489-93. 2004..Both of the patients had renal calculus. We performed nephrectomy with psoas abscess drainage and started appropriate antibiotics, but one of the patients died of septic shock...
- Psoas abscess and cellulitis of the right gluteal region resulting from carcinoma of the cecumH Kobayashi
Department of Surgery, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, Japan
J Gastroenterol 36:623-8. 2001Although retroperitoneal or psoas abscess is an unusual clinical problem, the insidious and occult characteristics of this abscess sometimes cause diagnostic delays, resulting in considerably high morbidity and mortality...
- Extension of lumbar spine infection into osteoarthritic hip through psoas abscessKousuke Kumagai
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta, Otsu, 520 2192, Japan
J Orthop Sci 10:91-4. 2005We present a case of pyogenic lumbar discitis and septic hip arthritis, accompanied by a psoas abscess and pyogenic iliopsoas bursitis, for which the correct diagnosis was delayed...
- Pyogenic psoas abscess: difficulty in early diagnosisSatoshi Hamano
Department of Urology, Asahi General Hospital, Asahi, Japan
Urol Int 71:178-83. 2003To report on the clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of psoas abscess (PA) with special attention to the presence of septic shock.
- A rare cause of flank mass: psoas abscess due to extensive primary thoracolumbar tuberculous spondylodiskitisH T Sanal
Department of Radiology, Gulhane Military Medical School, 06018, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1735-7. 2006b>Psoas abscess secondary to tuberculous spondylodiskitis is usually a complication of thoracolumbar vertebrae disease...
- Psoas abscess rarely requires surgical interventionWael N Yacoub
Division of Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am J Surg 196:223-7. 2008..Surgeons are increasingly encountering psoas abscesses...
- Psoas abscess - not as rare as we think?J P Garner
Department of General Surgery, Chesterfield and North Derbyshire Foundation Hospital, Calow, Chesterfield, North Derbyshire, UK
Colorectal Dis 9:269-74. 2007..Iliopsoas abscess (IPA) is a rare condition with a reported worldwide incidence of 12 new cases per year with primary abscesses now predominating. The presentation is often vague and the diagnosis not considered...
- The challenge of diagnosing psoas abscessHsin Pei Yin
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Chutung Veterans Hospital, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:156-9. 2004Diagnosing psoas abscess in patients with low back pain might be hampered by their atypical symptoms...
- Psoas abscess: report of a series and review of the literatureM van den Berge
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Erasmus University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 63:413-6. 2005We describe a series of twelve patients with a psoas abscess seen in a three-year period in a university hospital and a large teaching hospital in the Netherlands. In our series, five of the 12 patients had a primary psoas abscess...
- Retroperitoneal schwannoma mimicking a psoas abscessYao Wen Liu
Department of Pathology, Kuo General Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:A32. 2007
- Septic arthritis of the hip with psoas abscess caused by Non-typhi Salmonella infection in an immunocompetent patientCaroline Compain
Federation de rhumatologie, Universite Paris 7, UFR médicale, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Lariboisiere, Centre Viggo Petersen, 2 rue Ambroise Pare 75475 Paris cedex 10, France
Joint Bone Spine 75:67-9. 2008..We report a case of a bacteriologically documented hip infection associated with a psoas abscess due to Non-typhi Salmonella...
- Psoas abscess associated with infected total hip arthroplastyM Buttaro
Institute of Orthopaedics Carlos E Ottolenghi, Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Arthroplasty 17:230-4. 2002..A computed tomography (CT) scan revealed a 6.5 x 3 cm left retrofascial psoas abscess communicating with the hip joint...
- A rare cause of flank mass: tuberculous psoas abscessTekaya Rawdha
Department of Rheumatology, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Intern Med 47:985-6. 2008
- Psoas abscess: a primer for the internistB Taiwo
Department of Internal Medicine, Lincoln Health Center and Durham Regional Hospital, NC 27707, USA
South Med J 94:2-5. 2001b>Psoas abscess is a rare condition with vague clinical presentation. In this article, its epidemiology, etiology, bacteriology, diagnosis, and treatment are discussed...
- Psoas abscess: a diagnostic dilemmaNabil A Ebraheim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Toledo Medical Center, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 37:E11-3. 2008
- The iliopsoas abscess: aetiology, therapy, and outcomeP K Baier
Department of Visceral and General Surgery, University of Freiburg, Hugstetterstasse 55, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 391:411-7. 2006..The treatment strategy for patients with a retroperitonally localised abscess is controversial as it remains open which fluid collections should be drained by open access or by percutaneously inserted drainage...
- Nocardia farcinica as the causative agent in a primary psoas abscess in a previously healthy cattle inspectorL H M Smit
Department of Surgery, Medisch Centrum Leeuwarden and Public Health Laboratory, PO Box 30039, 9700 RM Groningen, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:445-8. 2003..Nocardia farcinica was isolated from the aspirate. No connection with his work could be demonstrated. The patient was successfully treated with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for 11 months...
- Psoas abscess secondary to tuberculous lymphadenopathy: case reportS Fitoz
Department of Radiology, University of Ankara, School of Medicine, Ibn-i Sina Hospital, 06100, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Abdom Imaging 26:323-4. 2001..We report a unique case where a psoas abscess was secondary to retroperitoneal tuberculous lymphadenopathy in a 13-year-old boy who had no demonstrable ..
- Clinical characteristics of patients with psoas abscess due to non-typhi SalmonellaJ Heyd
Department of Internal Medicine, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, P O Box 3235, 91031 Jerusalem, Israel
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:770-3. 2003
- Disseminated nocardiosis with psoas abscess in a patient with AIDS: first reported caseMarcelo Corti
Division of HIV AIDS Disease, F J Muñiz Infectious Diseases Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 50:131-3. 2008..virus infection who developed a disseminated infection due to Nocardia asteroides sensu stricto type VI with psoas abscess. To our knowledge no other cases of Nocardia psoas abscess in the setting of HIV infection have been reported ..
- Psoas abscess in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virusV Navarro Lopez
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General de Orihuela, Partida San Bartolomé, Orihuela, 03314 Alicante, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:661-3. 2004
- Acute iliopsoas and adductor brevis abscesses presenting with proximal leg muscle weaknessF Devetag Chalaupka
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Ospedale S Maria del Prato, ULSS 2 Veneto, Via Bagnols sur Cèze 3, I 32032, Feltre, Italy
Neurol Sci 27:125-8. 2006..We suggest that this patient had a primary pyomyositis rather than a secondary form. This is the first report of concomitant abscesses of psoas and adductor brevis muscles with early neurological involvement...
- Pathological hip fracture following intracapsular spread of a psoas abscessN J Talbot
The Old Dairy, Fore Street, Silverton, Exeter EX5 4HP, UK
Injury 35:936-7. 2004
- Retroperitoneal schwannoma misdiagnosed as a psoas abscess: report of a caseYoji Kishi
Department of Surgery, Tokyo Metropolotian Police Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Surg Today 32:849-52. 2002..Thus, we conclude that both microbiological and cytological examination of an aspiration specimen is important when psoas abscess is considered in a differential diagnosis.
- Psoas abscess presenting with femoro-popliteal vein thrombosisOludare A Demuren
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital, PO Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 23:96-8. 2002b>Psoas abscess is an uncommon condition with vague clinical presentation. It generally has an insidious onset and before the advent of computed tomography, few cases were reported in the medical literature...
- Iliopsoas abscessesI H Mallick
University Department of Surgery, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Hampstead, London NW3 2QG, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:459-62. 2004..Its insidious onset and occult characteristics can cause diagnostic delays, resulting in high mortality and morbidity. The epidemiology, aetiology, clinical features, and management of iliopsoas abscess are discussed...
- Rare co-existence of Salmonella typhi and mycobacteria tuberculosis in a psoas abscess--a case reportA J Kindo
Department of Microbiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and RI (DU, Porur, Chennai
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 44:493-4. 2001We report a rare case of dual infection in a psoas abscess. Pus from the abscess grew Salmonella typhi and the abscess wall showed epitheloid granulomas giant cells, which we confirmed as tuberculosis by PCR...
- [Clinical cases in Medical Mycology. Case No. 29]Ricardo Negroni
Unidad Micologia, Hospital de Infecciosas Francisco Javier Muniz, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Iberoam Micol 24:327-9. 2007
- [Retroperitoneal pyogenic infections with uncertain etiopathogenesis. Diagnostic and therapeutic difficulties]A M Marincaş
Clinica Chirurgie Caritas Acad N Cajal, Bucuresti
Chirurgia (Bucur) 101:583-92. 2006..mellitus, chronic alcoholism, behavioral disturbances), as well as in primary retroperitoneal infections (psoas abscess, infected retroperitoneal tumors) or in that situations in which the patient presents toxico-septic shock on ..
- [Psoas abscesses. An up-dated perspective]Silvia Pérez-Fernández
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Vigo, Pontevedra, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 24:313-8. 2006..To analyze the characteristics of abscesses of the psoas muscle and assess the differences between pyogenic and tuberculous abscesses...
- [Melitococcal psoas abscesses: study of three cases and review of the literature]C Marrakchi
Service des Maladies Infectieuses, CHU La Rabta, Tunis
Med Trop (Mars) 66:261-5. 2006Vertebral involvement is a common complication of brucellosis in adults. However psoas abscess related to brucellar spondylitis have rarely reported...
- [Psoas abscess in Crohn's disease. Report of a new case]Fouad Frikha
Service de chirurgie générale E P S Habib Bourguiba 3029 Sfax, Tunisie
Tunis Med 80:146-8. 2002b>Psoas abscess complicating Crohn's disease is a rare condition. The clinical diagnosis is confirmed by ultrasonography and/or computerized axial tomography. Etiology of the abscess is confirmed by digestive opacifications...
- Retroperitoneoscopic drainage of a psoas abscessAvinash N Katara
Department of Minimal Access Surgery, P D National Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre and St Elizabeth Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Pediatr Surg 39:e4-5. 2004Pyogenic psoas abscess in the pediatric age group is a primary condition caused mostly by Staphylococcus aureus. The preferred treatment is percutaneous or surgical drainage under a cover of systemic antibiotics...
- Continuous irrigation in pyogenic spondylitis accompanied by iliopsoas abscessKatsuhiro Tofuku
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kagoshima Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E382-7. 2007..A retrospective assessment of 12 patients with pyogenic spondylitis accompanied by iliopsoas abscess treated by continuous irrigation with our new method between March 2003 and July 2005...
- Successful treatment of a ruptured infected aneurysm of the lumbar artery with transcatheter embolizationJ Heianna
Department of Radiology, Akita Redcross Hospital, 222 1, Nawashirosawa Saruta Kamikitate, Akita City 010 1495, Japan
Abdom Imaging 30:270-3. 2005We report a patient who had an infected aneurysm of the lumbar artery caused by prolonged psoas abscess-forming spondylitis due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and who was treated successfully with transcatheter arterial ..
- Paraplegia caused by spinal infection after acupunctureM S Bang
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Spinal Cord 44:258-9. 2006..Case report of a 64-year-old man with psoas abscesses, epidural abscess and spondylitis after acupuncture...
- Vertebral osteomyelitis, epidural and psoas abscess after epidural catheter useKalliopi Alpantaki
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Crete, Greece
Acta Orthop Belg 73:670-3. 2007..The patient was successfully treated with posterior decompression, drainage of the epidural abscess and fusion in combination with percutaneous, computed tomography-guided needle aspiration of the psoas abscesses...
- Retrofascial bilateral psoas abscess in a 6-year-old childClaudio Santili
Santa Casa São Paulo Faculty of Medical Sciences, and Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology Group, Irmandade da Santa Casa de Misericódia de São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:E141-3. 2007
- Primary psoas abscess in a neonateAttila M Vastyan
Pediatric Surgical Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Pecs University, Pecs, Hungary
Am J Perinatol 23:253-4. 2006A case of primary ileo-psoas abscess in a neonate is presented. Psoas abscess is extremely uncommon in this age group...
- Infected pseudocyst in tropical pancreatitis presenting as psoas abscessK Harish
Department of Gastroenterology, Calicut Medical College, Kozhikode 673 008, Kerala, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:260-1. 2006Infected pseudocyst as a consequence of tropical pancreatitis presenting as psoas abscess is unusual. We report a 40-year-old man who presented with pain in the right lumbar region...
- Crohn's disease accompanied by purulent discitis and psoas abscessesKimi Sumimoto
Inflamm Bowel Dis 14:728-30. 2008
- Laparoscopic drainage of bilateral tuberculous psoas abscessesGary Atkin
From the Department of Surgery, Ealing Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 15:380-2. 2005b>Psoas abscess secondary to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection is rare in industrialized countries...
- Image of the month. Septic arthritisMahmud Saedon
Surgical Department, Leighton Hospital, Crewe, England
Arch Surg 143:913-4. 2008
- Psoas abscess in a dialysis patient with dialysis-related amyloidosisSpiros Dovas
Department of Nephrology, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Int Urol Nephrol 40:543-6. 2008b>Psoas abscess is an infrequent clinical entity which poses diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. Few cases have been reported in chronic hemodialysis patients...
- [Bilateral brucellosic psoas abscess: one case is related and literature review]J Romero Otero
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid
Actas Urol Esp 29:704-7. 2005..Some times it can complicates with para-perivertebral abscess. The unilateral psoas abscess(PA) is uncommon and the bilateral afection is exceptional...
- Bilateral psoas abscesses post-peripheral blood stem cell transplantationW C Yang
Bone Marrow Transplant 38:73-4. 2006
- [Spinal tuberculosis (Pott's disease) associated to psoas abscess: report of two cases and a literature review]Fernando Crivelenti Vilar
Divisão de Moléstias Infecciosas, Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Bandeirantes 3900, 14048 900 Ribeirao Preto, SP
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:278-82. 2006..The psoas abscess is a rare clinical entity with approximately 12 cases per year described in the medical literature and has in ..
- Is spinal instrumentation a risk factor for late-onset infection in cases of distant infection or surgery? Case reportSait Naderi
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Neurosurg Focus 15:E15. 2003..Radiological study revealed a spinal epidural abscess in communication with a right psoas abscess at L4-5...
- Iliopsoas abscess in the neonateTsunehiro Yano
Department of the Pediatric Surgery, Kagoshima University, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 39:e13-5. 2004..Antibiotics therapy and appropriate drainage are effective, and the prognosis is good. The authors present a neonatal case of IPA and discuss clinical symptoms, etiologic agents, methods of diagnosis and therapy, and prognosis...
- Pyogenic psoas abscess: a rare complication after orthotopic heart transplantationBrendan P Madden
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Heart Lung Transplant 21:928-31. 2002We describe a 57-year-old man who developed a primary psoas abscess after treatment for acute allograft rejection, 5 years after orthotopic heart transplantation...
- [Iliopsoas abscess accompanied by epidural abscess--a case report]Tetsushi Fukushige
Department of Anesthesiology, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume 830 0011
Masui 52:996-9. 2003..Then, his complains decreased remarkably. Iliopsoas abscess should be taken into account in case of a patient with pain on the low back and leg and also inflammatory signs such as fever and leucocytosis...
- Acute pyogenic sacroiliitis without predisposing conditionsMinoru Doita
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E384-9. 2003..Clinical and imaging findings of patients diagnosed with pyogenic sacroiliitis were retrospectively analyzed...
- Image-guided percutaneous drainage of tuberculous iliopsoas and spondylodiskitic abscesses: midterm resultsHasan Dinc
Department of Radiology, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Farabi Hospital, 61080 Trabzon, Turkey
Radiology 225:353-8. 2002..To evaluate midterm results of percutaneous drainage (PD) with image guidance in 21 patients with tuberculous iliopsoas abscesses with or without spondylodiskitis...
- [Mycotic aneurysm of the subrenal abdominal aorta: extra anatomical reconstruction in five patients]R Denguir
Service de Chirurgie Cardio vasculaire, Hopital La Rabta, Bab Saadoun 1007 Jabbari Tunis, Tunisie
J Mal Vasc 28:15-20. 2003..The results are acceptable and the prognosis is mainly related to the underlying pathology and the severity of the infection...
- [[Primary psoas abscess. Presentation of 3 cases]Carlos Capitán Manjón
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 55:552-5. 2002..To present 3 cases of primary abscess of the psoas muscle. The clinical features, diagnostic tests, treatment and outcome are discussed...
- Psoas abscess: the spine as a primary source of infectionThomas Muckley
Trauma Center Murnau, Murnau, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E106-13. 2003..Case report, literature review, discussion...
- [Community-acquired necrotizing pneumonia associated with bacteriemia and metastatic septic foci]Francisco Rodríguez-Arrondo
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas Hospital Donostia San Sebastián España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 21:211-3. 2003
- Latent psoas abscess after anterior spinal fusionM T Hresko
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:590-3. 1992..A psoas abscess may remain dormant for many years after an anterior spinal procedure...
- [Psoas abscess: 12 case reports]A Benchekroun
Service d urologie A hôpital Avicenne, Rabat, Maroc
Ann Urol (Paris) 36:310-3. 2002b>Psoas abscess are rare. Primitives or secondary their clinical diagnosis is difficult. Imagery and especially computed tomography is fundamental. Treatment associates antibiotherapy and drainage...
- [28-Year-Old Patient with Elevated Serum IgE Levels and Multiple Refractory Epidural and Paravertebral Abscesses. Clinical manifestation of a Job's Syndrome?]Katharina Plikat
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin I, Universitatsklinikum Regensburg, Regensburg KATINKA PLIKAT KLINIK UNI R DE
Med Klin (Munich) 98:534-8. 2003..The hyper-IgE syndrome is a rare primary immunodeficiency characterized by recurrent staphylococcal infections and high levels of serum IgE...
- [Tubercular abscess of the psoas without associated spinal involvement. A case report]M Younes
Service de Rhumatologie, EPS de Monastir 5000, Tunisie
Rev Med Interne 23:549-53. 2002Tuberculous psoas abscess outside of locoregional causes is uncommon and can cause a problem of differential diagnosis.
- [Primary psoas abscess]M Pérez Herbón
An Med Interna 21:50-1. 2004
- Psoas abscess: a rare complication of Crohn's diseaseM Veroux
Department of Surgery, Transplantation and Advanced Technologies, University Hospital of Catania, Italy
Acta Chir Belg 104:187-90. 2004b>Psoas abscess is a rare complication of Crohn's disease.
- Pneumococcal psoas pyomyositis associated with complement deficiencyDavid Tuerlinckx
Department of Pediatrics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Mont Godinne, 5530 Yvoir, Belgium
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:371-3. 2004..The most useful diagnostic test is computed tomography guided needle aspiration, and underlying conditions should be sought...
- [CT-assisted drainage of a psoas abscess with infrainguinal approach]S Zangos
Rofo 174:112-3. 2002
- [Adductor muscle pyomyositis simulating acute appendicitis: CT and MR imaging findings]M Coumbaras
, Service de Radiologie, 184, rue du Faubourg St Antoine, 75012 Paris
J Radiol 82:488-90. 2001..Early diagnosis improves the outcome. Delayed diagnosis may lead to septicemia and shock. We report the CT and MRI findings in a patient with pyomyositis of the proximal muscles of the thigh...
- [Psoas abscesses. Genesis, diagnosis, and therapy]M Korenkov
II Chirurgischer Lehrstuhl der Universität zu Köln, Klinikum Cologne Merheim
Chirurg 74:677-82. 2003A psoas abscess is a rarely encountered entity with various etiologies and nonspecific clinical presentation, frequently resulting in delayed diagnosis, increased morbidity, and prolonged or recurrent hospitalization.
- [Abscess of the psoas muscle. Primary or secondary?]Vicente Navarro López
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 20:235. 2002
- [Brucellosis: retrospective evaluation of the clinical, laboratory and epidemiological features of 151 cases]Y Ziya Demiroglu
Baskent Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklan ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Adana ve Ankara
Mikrobiyol Bul 41:517-27. 2007..specimens in which bacterial growth were detected in one of each, were bone marrow, sternoclavicular joint, psoas abscess, urine and pleural fluid. Standard tube agglutination (STA) test was found negative in 1...
- [Right colon diverticulitis]P Le
Service de Chirurgie Generale, Centre Hospitalier de l Agglomération Montargoise Montargis
J Chir (Paris) 141:11-20. 2004..presents with symptoms suggestive of acute appendicitis, acute localized peritonitis, or, more rarely, a psoas abscess. Clinical exam reveals an inflammatory mass in the right lower quadrant in 30% of cases; diffuse peritonitis, ..
- Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis: our experience with review of published reportsUdai S Dwivedi
Department of Urology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
ANZ J Surg 76:1007-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyse the cases of xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis with review of published reports...
- [Modified Galveston technology for lumbosacral tuberculosis]Jianping Kang
Department of Spinal Surgery, Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou Sichuan, 646000, P R China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 23:1431-4. 2009..To study the clinical effects of modified Galveston technology in the treatment of lumbosacral tuberculosis...
- [Two cases of psoas abscesses caused by group A beta-haemolytic streptococcal infection with a cutaneous portal of entry]E Routier
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Henri Mondor, AP HP, 94010 Creteil, France
Ann Dermatol Venereol 137:369-72. 2010b>Psoas abscess is a rare clinical entity that occurs chiefly after intra-abdominal or retroperitoneal infection...
- Multiple osseous involvements in a case of disseminated cryptococcosisRakesh Singh
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Orthop 44:336-8. 2010..an unusual case of disseminated cryptococcosis involving the sternum and lumbar vertebra with the formation of psoas abscess with pulmonary tuberculosis. The patient presented with fever for 3 months...
- Infectious muscle diseaseI Parasca
Medical Clinic II, Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj Napoca, Romania
Rom J Intern Med 44:131-41. 2006..In this section the authors take into consideration some clinical entities, such as psoas abscess, postanginal sepsis, beta-haemolytic streptococcus infection and that caused by Koch bacillus...
- Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis: Analysis of 18 casesMohammed Ahmed Al-Ghazo
Division of Urology, Department of General Surgery and Urology, King Abdullah University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Asian J Surg 29:257-61. 2006..To review and evaluate patients with a clinicopathological diagnosis of xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis (XGP) with emphasis on the diagnostic methods and the effect of socioeconomic status on disease severity...
- Spinal surgery: an unusual case of spinal epidural abscessKevin A Vaught
Brain and NeuroSpine Clinic of Missouri, LLC, Cape Girardeau, USA
Mo Med 106:297-300. 2009..separate skin incision, a decompressive laminectomy on T11, L2, L3, and L4 as well as partial evacuation of a psoas abscess. The extensive laminectomies were required due to the adherent granulomatous nature of the abscess...
- Continuous peripheral nerve blocks in hospital wards after orthopedic surgery: a multicenter prospective analysis of the quality of postoperative analgesia and complications in 1,416 patientsXavier Capdevila
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Lapeyronie University Hospital, Montpellier, France
Anesthesiology 103:1035-45. 2005..However, the incidence of neurologic and infectious adverse events in the postoperative period are not well established. This issue was the aim of the study...
- Clinical outcome of posterolateral endoscopic surgery for pyogenic spondylodiscitis: results of 15 patients with serious comorbid conditionsManabu Ito
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:200-6. 2007..Clinical results of posterolateral endoscopic debridement and irrigation followed by percutaneous drainage for pyogenic spondylodiscitis were analyzed...
- On the therapeutic viability of peripheral nerve stimulation for ilioinguinal neuralgia: putative mechanisms and possible utilityJacob J Rauchwerger
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Pain Pract 8:138-43. 2008..Other potential causes include low abdominal blunt trauma, iliac crest bone graft, psoas abscess, Pott's disease, and prolonged wearing of abdominally constrictive clothing...
- Prosthetic stent graft infection after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repairMuhammad A Sharif
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Belfast City Hospital, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 46:442-8. 2007..The purpose of this report is to discuss the incidence, diagnosis, and management of stent graft infections after endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)...
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Does the research address a current and compelling problem of antimicrobial resistance that is of high public health importance and for which research is needed? [yes]. ..