Genomes and Genes
Summary: An abscess located in the abdominal cavity, i.e., the cavity between the diaphragm above and the pelvis below. (From Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Predictors of outcome for children with perforated appendicitis initially treated with non-operative managementEvan P Nadler
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 5:349-56. 2004..We reviewed all children with perforated appendicitis who were treated initially with non-operative therapy to determine those characteristics that may predict a successful outcome...
- Is peritoneal drainage necessary in childhood perforated appendicitis?--a comparative studyAdnan Narci
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dr Sami Ulus Children s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 42:1864-8. 2007..In this study, we aimed to evaluate the effect of peritoneal drainage (PD) on postoperative infective complications in cases with perforated appendicitis...
- Aerobic and anaerobic microbiology in intra-abdominal infections associated with diverticulitisI Brook
Department of Infectious Diseases, Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Med Microbiol 49:827-30. 2000..The most frequently isolated anaerobes were Bacteroides spp. (B. fragilis group), Peptostreptococcus, Clostridium and Fusobacterium spp...
- Standardized algorithms for management of anastomotic leaks and related abdominal and pelvic abscesses after colorectal surgeryR Phitayakorn
Division of Colorectal Surgery, Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5047, USA
World J Surg 32:1147-56. 2008..The risk factors and incidence of anastomotic leak following colorectal surgery are well reported in the literature. However, the management of the multiple clinical scenarios that may be encountered has not been standardized...
- Intra-abdominal infectionsJohn E Mazuski
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Surg Clin North Am 89:421-37, ix. 2009..Overall, these infections remain associated with significant morbidity and mortality, particularly in higher-risk patients who have impaired host defenses...
- Can failure of percutaneous drainage of postoperative abdominal abscesses be predicted?Stephane Benoist
Department of Surgery, Service de Chirurgie Generale et Digestive, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Am J Surg 184:148-53. 2002..Accordingly, this retrospective study was designed to determine the predictive factors for failure of PD of postoperative abscess, in order to better select the patients who may benefit from PD...
- Multifocal intestinal stromal tumors with jejunal perforation and intra-abdominal abscess: report of a caseErdal Karagulle
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, Ankara
Turk J Gastroenterol 19:264-7. 2008..Their diagnosis is often delayed until complications develop. Even if complications occur, exact diagnosis is usually very difficult preoperatively...
- Intra-abdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendectomy for perforated appendicitisS L Krisher
Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME, USA
Arch Surg 136:438-41. 2001HYPOTHESIS: The incidence of postoperative intra-abdominal abscess is higher after laparoscopic compared with open appendectomy for perforated appendicitis...
- Clostridium novyi type A intra-abdominal abscess in a horseMonica Aleman
Department of Veterinary Surgical and Radiological Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Vet Intern Med 17:934-6. 2003
- Determinants for successful percutaneous image-guided drainage of intra-abdominal abscessMarianne E Cinat
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, 101 City Dr, Bldg 53, Rte 81, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Arch Surg 137:845-9. 2002Characteristics of intra-abdominal abscess can be used to predict successful outcome for percutaneous catheter drainage (PCD).
- Influence of percutaneous abscess drainage on severe postoperative septic complications in patients with Crohn's diseaseRene Müller-Wille
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 26:769-74. 2011Severe postoperative intra-abdominal septic complications (IASC) such as an anastomotic leak, intra-abdominal abscess, and fistula are significantly associated with the presence of spontaneous intra-abdominal abscess at the time of ..
- Abdominal abscess due to NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in SpainJesús Oteo
Antibiotic Laboratory, Bacteriology, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Med Microbiol 61:864-7. 2012We describe a clinical case of an abdominal abscess due to NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a 35-year-old Spanish patient after hospitalization in India for perforated appendicitis and peritonitis...
- Does use of intraoperative irrigation with open or laparoscopic appendectomy reduce post-operative intra-abdominal abscess?Christopher B Moore
Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Am Surg 77:78-80. 2011..The purpose of this study is to determine if irrigation at appendectomy decreases the postoperative intra-abdominal abscess rate...
- Cellular mechanism of intraabdominal abscess formation by Bacteroides fragilisF C Gibson
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 160:5000-6. 1998..These results illustrated the role of the CPC in promoting adhesion of B. fragilis to the peritoneal wall and coordinating the cellular events leading to the development of abscesses associated with experimental intraabdominal sepsis...
- Laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis: an evaluation of postoperative factorsC G Ball
Department of Surgery, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29 Street NW, T2 N 2T9, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Surg Endosc 18:969-73. 2004..The use of laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis is controversial. Outcomes were compared between patients who had complicated appendicitis and those who had uncomplicated appendicitis...
- Computed tomography-guided percutaneous abscess drainage in coloproctology: review of the literatureR Golfieri
Malpighi Radiology Unit Department of Digestive Diseases and Internal Medicine Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Via Albertoni 15, I 40138, Bologna, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 11:197-208. 2007..This review evaluates each point of the procedure to explain the possible causes for such discrepancies in results...
- Percutaneous drainage of abdominal abcessSuleyman Men
Department of Radiology, Medical School, Dokuz Eylul University, TR 35340 Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 43:204-18. 2002..Both the renal and the perirenal abscesses are amenable to percutaneous drainage. Percutaneous drainage provides an effective and safe alternative to more invasive surgical drainage in most patients with psoas abscesses as well...
- Thioredoxin reductase is essential for thiol/disulfide redox control and oxidative stress survival of the anaerobe Bacteroides fragilisEdson R Rocha
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, 600 Moye Blvd, Greenville, NC 27834, USA
J Bacteriol 189:8015-23. 2007..Taken together, these data strongly suggest that TrxB/Trx is the major, if not the sole, thiol/disulfide redox system in this anaerobe required for survival and abscess formation in a peritoneal cavity infection model...
- Perforated colonic cancer presenting as intra-abdominal abscessHsiang Lin Tsai
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, E Da Hospital I Shou University, No 1, E Da Road, Jiau Shu Tsuen, Yan Chau Shiang, Kaohsiung, 824, Taiwan
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:15-9. 2007..Abscess formation occurs in 0.3 to 0.4% and is the second most common complication of perforated lesions. Perforation and penetration of adjacent organs with intra-abdominal abscess formation as the initial presentation is uncommon.
- Translumenal endoscopic drainage of abdominal abscess due to early migration of adjustable gastric bandJosemberg M Campos
Obes Surg 20:247-50. 2010..During the follow-up, the mucosa covering the band was incised in two more sessions to hasten the erosion process. Endoscopic removal was done 7 months after the drainage...
- Structural rationale for the modulation of abscess formation by Staphylococcus aureus capsular polysaccharidesA O Tzianabos
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:9365-70. 2001..These results provide a structure/function rationale for abscess formation by S. aureus and expand the sphere of encapsulated organisms that interact directly with T cells to regulate this host response to bacterial infection...
- Intra-abdominal abscess in the course of intragastric migration of an adjustable gastric band: a potentially life-threatening complicationMariusz Wylezol
Department of General and Bariatric Surgery in Zabrze, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Obes Surg 16:102-4. 2006..The patient presented no symptoms of acute abdomen. Intraoperatively, a huge intra-abdominal abscess was discovered in the epigastric area...
- Amylase concentration of the drainage fluid as a risk factor for intra-abdominal abscess following gastrectomy for gastric cancerNaoki Iwata
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, 466 8550, Japan
World J Surg 34:1534-9. 2010..Amylase concentration of the drainage fluid following total gastrectomy for gastric cancer has been reported to be a useful risk factor for surgical complications...
- Extraluminal appendicolith: an indication for interval appendectomy with intraoperative localization and removal of that potential cause of intra-abdominal abscessRafael Itah
Department of Surgery A, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:606-8. 2008..We advocate this approach in order to prevent the possible formation of an intra-abdominal abscess caused by an infected nidus.
- IL-2 mediates protection against abscess formation in an experimental model of sepsisA O Tzianabos
Department of Medicine, Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 163:893-7. 1999..These data demonstrate that PS A-mediated protection against abscess formation is dependent upon a CD4+ T cell-dependent response, and that IL-2 is essential to this immune mechanism...
- Distinguishing gelatin bioabsorbable sponge and postoperative abdominal abscess on CTKumaresan Sandrasegaran
Department of Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 550 N University Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:475-80. 2005The objective of our study was to differentiate the CT findings of gelatin bioabsorbable sponges used as hemostatic agents from postoperative abdominal abscess.
- Percutaneous postoperative intra-abdominal abscess drainage after elective colorectal surgeryM Khurrum Baig
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston 33331, USA
Tech Coloproctol 6:159-64. 2002..CT-guided percutaneous drainage of intra-abdominal abscess is an alternative to immediate surgical intervention...
- Retroperitoneal abscesses--analysis of a series of 66 casesCarlos Capitán Manjón
Urology Department, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Scand J Urol Nephrol 37:139-44. 2003..To analyze our experience with the management of retroperitoneal abscesses...
- Standardized patient care guidelines reduce infectious morbidity in appendectomy patientsKenneth S Helmer
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Houston Medical School and LBJ General Hospital, 5656 Kelley St, Ste 3 OS 62008, Houston, TX 77026, USA
Am J Surg 183:608-13. 2002Surgical wound infection and intra-abdominal abscess remain common infectious complications after appendectomy, especially in the setting of a perforated or gangrenous appendix...
- Treatment of post-appendectomy intra-abdominal deep abscessesE Dobremez
Service de Chirurgie Pediatrique, Hôpital Pellegrin Enfants, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Eur J Pediatr Surg 13:393-7. 2003The treatment of acute appendicitis in children is sometimes followed by complications including intra-abdominal abscess, for which the traditional treatment is surgical drainage...
- An evidence-based definition for perforated appendicitis derived from a prospective randomized trialShawn D St Peter
Department of Surgery, The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:2242-5. 2008....
- Microbiology and management of abdominal infectionsItzhak Brook
Schools of Medicine, Georgetown University, 4431 Albemarle St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:2585-91. 2008..and Clostridium spp. The treatment of abdominal infection includes surgical correction and drainage of pus and administration of antimicrobials effective against both the aerobic and anaerobic pathogens...
- Fish bone-related intra-abdominal abscess in an elderly patientChien Kan Chen
Department of Emergency Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei 10449, Taiwan
Int J Infect Dis 14:e171-2. 2010..CT showed a hypodense lesion with a linear foreign body in the abdomen. An intra-abdominal abscess was diagnosed and after surgical intervention, a foreign body, which proved to be a fish bone, was removed...
- Intra-abdominal sepsis: newer interventional and antimicrobial therapiesJoseph S Solomkin
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 231 Albert B Sabin Way, Cincinnati OH 45267 0558, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 23:593-608. 2009....
- Falciform ligament abscess with portal pyemia in a newbornAkshay Pratap
Department of Surgery, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
J Pediatr Surg 41:1473-5. 2006..After a follow up of 1 year, the child remains asymptomatic. To our knowledge, a falciform ligament abscess causing intrahepatic portal pyemia in a newborn has not been previously been described...
- Initial laparoscopic appendectomy versus initial nonoperative management and interval appendectomy for perforated appendicitis with abscess: a prospective, randomized trialShawn D St Peter
Center for Prospective Clinical Trials, The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:236-40. 2010..Therefore, we conducted a randomized trial comparing these 2 management strategies...
- Transverse colonic cancer presenting as an anterior abdominal wall abscess: report of a caseG Matsumoto
Department of Surgery, Ichinoseki Hospital, Japan
Surg Today 31:166-9. 2001....
- Acute appendicitis risks of complications: age and Medicaid insuranceS L Bratton
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
Pediatrics 106:75-8. 2000..To describe the epidemiology of acute appendicitis in children from Washington State, and to determine important risk factors for complications...
- Risk factors for the development of abdominal abscess following operation for perforated appendicitis in children: a multicenter case-control studyMarion C W Henry
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Arch Surg 142:236-41; discussion 241. 2007The morbidity following treatment for perforated appendicitis in children is significant, with intra-abdominal abscess being one of the more serious complications...
- CT-guided transgluteal drainage of deep pelvic abscesses: indications, technique, procedure-related complications, and clinical outcomeMukesh G Harisinghani
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiographics 22:1353-67. 2002..Although pain has been cited as a common complication of the technique, this complication can be minimized with judicious use of analgesia and a meticulous technique. Other complications are hemorrhage and catheter malposition...
- Falciform ligament abscess: report of a caseValdinaldo Aragão de Melo
Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sergipe, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 58:37-8. 2003..The presence of right uppper quadrant abdominal pain, epigastric tenderness, fever, leukocytosis, and a mass in the anterior abdomen should arouse suspicion of falciform ligament abscess. Its treatment consists of abscess drainage...
- Desmoid tumor presenting as intra-abdominal abscessE Cholongitas
Dig Dis Sci 51:68-9. 2006
- Laparoscopic appendectomy is superior to open appendectomy in obese patientsMichael G Corneille
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Am J Surg 194:877-80; discussion 880-1. 2007..There are minimal data comparing laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) with open appendectomy (OA) in obese patients...
- The management of complicated diverticulitis and the role of computed tomographyAndreas M Kaiser
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:910-7. 2005..The aim of our study was therefore to define the role of computed tomography (CT) and to analyze its impact on the management of acute diverticulitis...
- [Should interval appendicectomy be performed following the resolution of an appendiceal abscess?]S Mezoughi
Service de Chirurgie Générale et Digestive Hôtel Dieu, CHU de Clermont Ferrand, Boulevard Leon Malfreyt, 63058 Clermont Ferrand, France
Ann Chir 131:386-8. 2006
- Complicated appendicitis in children: a clear role for drainage and delayed appendectomyJonathan P Roach
Department of Surgery, The University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Surg 194:769-72; discussion 772-3. 2007..Children presenting with complicated appendicitis represent a common and challenging problem. Conflicting data exist concerning optimal treatment of these patients with primary versus delayed appendectomy...
- Infectious complications following laparoscopic appendectomyRohit Gupta
Centre for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery CAMIS, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Surg 49:397-400. 2006A meta-analysis of the literature suggests there is an increased rate of intra-abdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) compared with open appendectomy (OA).
- Perforated appendicitis: urgency or interval surgery?Z F Liu
Department of Internal Medicine, General Hospital, Taoyuan
Zentralbl Chir 132:539-41. 2007..The purpose of this study was to report how conservative treatment with interval appendectomy (IA) of ruptured appendicitis with localized abscess or phlegmon affects the outcome of patients...
- Is there a role for routine abdominal imaging in predicting postoperative intraabdominal abscess formation after appendectomy for pediatric ruptured appendix?Sigmund H Ein
The Division of General Surgery, Rm 1526, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Pediatr Surg Int 24:307-9. 2008..All required further treatment, and recovered well. The use of routine abdominal imaging on postoperative day 5, (compared with clinical evaluation), did not improve the ability to predict the development of an intraabdominal abscess...
- Percutaneous retrieval of a retained appendicolithPasteur Rasuli
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Ottawa Hospital and University of Ottawa, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L6, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:342-4. 2007
- Laparoscopy for every acute appendicitis?K Slim
Surg Endosc 20:1785-6. 2006
- Dropped appendicolith: CT findings and implications for managementAjay K Singh
Department of Radiology, University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, MA, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:707-11. 2008..The aim of this study was to discern the CT features of appendicoliths retained after appendectomy and evaluate the management options...
- What are the true advantages of a pediatric appendicitis clinical pathway?Sherif Emil
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine Children s Hospital, Orange 92868, USA
Am Surg 72:885-9. 2006..A clinical pathway decreases the use of unnecessary antibiotics, hospital stay, and charges for simple appendicitis. It decreases the use of unnecessary drains, and eliminates readmissions after complicated appendicitis...
- [Retroperitoneal pyogenic infections with uncertain etiopathogenesis. Diagnostic and therapeutic difficulties]A M Marincaş
Clinica Chirurgie Caritas Acad N Cajal, Bucuresti
Chirurgia (Bucur) 101:583-92. 2006..The aim of this study is to evaluate the factors contributing to this, and how therapeutic attitude was influenced...
- Fear for the intraabdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendectomy: not realisticE A Kouwenhoven
Department of Surgery, Maxima Medical Centre, P O Box 90052, 5600 PD Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 19:923-6. 2005..The aim of the present study was to evaluate postoperative complications after open (OA) and laparoscopic appendectomy, in particular in perforated appendicitis (PA)...
- An unusual presentation of actinomycosis in a young woman, after surgeryMayra M Colón-Candelaria
Infectious Diseases Section, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Bol Asoc Med P R 97:209-13. 2005..An ovarian abscess was drained. The pathology showed a granuloma and focal sulfur granules like particles compatible with Actinomyces. This is a case of pelvic Actinomyces, not related to the use of an intrauterine device...
- [What is the preferred approach to perform appendectomy in a young man? Laparoscopic or conventional technique?]A Valverde
Service de Chirurgie, centre hospitalier d Argenteuil, France
Ann Chir 131:328-30. 2006
- Fever and right upper quadrant pain in a pregnant woman at 30 weeks' gestationLaura E Harrell
Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 1:113-6; quiz 1 p following 116. 2004..An intra-abdominal abscess was suspected. Ultrasound and MRI failed to demonstrate the suspected abscess...
- [Laparoscopic resection with primary anastomosis in Hinchey stages I and II without previous abscess drainage]T C Bottger
Klinik für Viszeral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Zentrum für minimalinvasive Chirurgie, Klinikum Bremerhaven Reinkenheide, Bremerhaven, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:454, 456-60. 2007..Therefore it has to be decided whether an early operation without prior interventional drainage can attain results similar to those of the elective operation...
- Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: the risk of postoperative infectious complicationsMuhammad Najm Khan
Colorectal Surgery, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Romsey Road, Winchester, Hampshire, UK
JSLS 11:363-7. 2007....
- Are routine peritoneal fluid cultures during appendicectomy justified?M N Khan
Department of General Surgery, North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, UK
Ir J Med Sci 176:37-40. 2007..To determine the impact of obtaining routine peritoneal fluid cultures during appendicectomy, on the treatment and the clinical outcomes...
- Current problems in surgery. AppendicitisJay B Prystowsky
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Curr Probl Surg 42:688-742. 2005
- Percutaneous management of complications (aortoenteric fistula and sac abscess) following bypass surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysmHemant Deshmukh
Department of Radiology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, 400 012, India
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:778-81. 2007
- Routine interval appendectomy is not justified after initial nonoperative treatment of acute appendicitisAnna Kaminski
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, CA 90027, USA
Arch Surg 140:897-901. 2005..The role of interval appendectomy (IA) after an episode of acute appendicitis is debated...
- Critical issues in the clinical management of complicated intra-abdominal infectionsStijn Blot
Intensive Care Department, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Drugs 65:1611-20. 2005..the organ that is the source of the infection, and causes either localised peritonitis, also referred to as abdominal abscess, or diffuse peritonitis, depending on the ability of the host to contain the process within a part of the ..
- Complicated appendicitis--is the laparoscopic approach appropriate? A comparative study with the open approach: outcome in a community hospital settingNaveen Pokala
Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center, Bronx, New York, USA
Am Surg 73:737-41; discussion 741-2. 2007....
- [Current status of diagnostics and therapy of complicated intraabdominal infections]H P Knaebel
Aesculap AG and Co KG, Tutlingen, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 132:419-26. 2007..Surgery aims on clearing the focus with a one-step-procedure in order to reduce perioperative morbidity and mortality...
- Morbidity of laparoscopic surgery for complicated appendicitis: an international studyJ Cueto
Department of Surgery, Hospitals ABC y Angeles Lomas, Mexico City, Mexico
Surg Endosc 20:717-20. 2006..Although laparoscopic appendectomy has some advantages over open appendectomy, some reports do show more postoperative intraabdominal abscesses...
- [The role of laparoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of early postoperative complications]V E Sobolev
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 164:95-9. 2005..This problem can be solved by using the methods allowing diagnosing the complication as early as possible, before the development of irreversible alterations, and allowing to choose the most rational methods of treatment...
- Clinical practice. DiverticulitisDanny O Jacobs
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, and Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2057-66. 2007
- Laparoscopic management of complicated appendicitisAndreas Kiriakopoulos
Department of Surgery, Hygeia Hospital, Athens, Greece
JSLS 10:453-6. 2006..Complicated appendicitis is associated with a significant risk of postoperative morbidity, making the value of the minimally invasive approach controversial...
- The efficacy of postoperative oral antibiotics in appendicitis: a randomized prospective double-blinded studyEdward Taylor
Department of Surgery, Kern Medical Center, Bakersfield, California 93305, USA
Am Surg 70:858-62. 2004..1% in Group 2, P = 0.61). The data suggest that adding a course of outpatient oral antibiotics, after completing a course of IV antibiotics, does not decrease postoperative infectious complications in appendicitis patients...
- Antibiotics and postoperative abscesses in complicated appendicitis: is there any association?C P C Ong
Department of Paediatric Surgery, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, 100 Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 229899
Singapore Med J 49:615-8. 2008..Our complicated appendicitis clinical pathway recommends ceftriaxone and metronidazole. The study aimed to determine if choice of antibiotics influenced the risk of infective complications...
- Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: a prospective comparative study of 227 patientsM Marzouk
Department of Surgery, Saudi German Hospitals Group Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Surg Endosc 17:721-4. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate laparoscopic appendectomy in comparison with open appendectomy, with special emphasis on postoperative septic complications...
- Neonatal periappendicular abscess--updated treatmentYigal Efrati
Pediatric Surgery Department and The Invasive Radiology Unit, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
J Pediatr Surg 38:e5. 2003..This is the first description of an advanced imaging-guided drainage procedure, followed by minimal invasive surgery, for the treatment of periappendicular abscess at such a young age...
- Appendicitis in children: a ten-year update of therapeutic recommendationsSherif Emil
Division of Pediatric General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:236-42. 2003..In 1990, the authors reported excellent outcomes using a standard protocol to treat pediatric appendicitis. This protocol has been simplified further and a large retrospective review was conducted to assess current outcomes...
- [Acute appendicitis in children: current status in 2008]E Sapin
Service de Chirurgie Pediatrique, Hôpital d Enfants, CHU de Dijon, 10 boulevard du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, BP 77 908, 21079 Dijon Cedex
Arch Pediatr 15:550-2. 2008
- Perinephric and renal abscesses in children: a study of three casesRegina Célia de Souza Campos Fernandes
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Ferreira Machado, Campos dos Goytacazes, RJ, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 44:341-4. 2002..The importance of ultrasound and computerized tomography (CT) in prompt diagnosis is highlighted in this work. The use of these methods along the improved antimicrobial therapy may result in decrease in mortality due to this pathology...
- Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: between evidence and common senseErnst Eypasch
Chirurgische Klinik, Malteserkrankenhaus St Hildegardis Köln Lindenthal, Bachemer Strasse 29 31, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
Dig Surg 19:518-22. 2002..The purpose of this article is to present a recently completed Cochrane review on laparoscopic surgery for suspected appendicitis on the background of daily surgical practice and the developments in the last decade...
- [Current therapy of complicated appendicitis]I Klempa
Klinik für Allgemein und Gefässchirurgie, Zentralkrankenhaus St Jürgen Strasse, St Jürgen Strasse, 28205 Bremen
Chirurg 73:799-804. 2002..e., the urgent indication to operate, is a generally accepted concept in the therapy of acute appendicitis. Even in complicated cases, the aim is just one operative procedure or if need be only the application of antibiotics...
- [Open vs. laparoscopic appendectomy]H Lippert
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Gefässchirurgie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, 39120 Magdeburg
Chirurg 73:791-8. 2002..However, we found significant evidence indicating an increased rate of postoperative intra-abdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendectomy...
- [Acute appendicitis in children: serious complications when treatment is delayed]E C T H Tan
afd Heelkunde, Universitair Medisch Centrum St Radboud, Nijmegen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1473-7. 2002..Appendicitis is not always easy to diagnose. An atypical presentation, very often with diarrhoea, can result in diagnostic delay. Early surgical consultation is mandatory in a child with progressive abdominal pain...
- Intraabdominal abscess following open and laparoscopic appendectomy in the pediatric populationR McKinlay
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona Affiliated Hospitals, 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Surg Endosc 17:730-3. 2003..Studies comparing intraabdominal abscess (IAA) rates following laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) and open appendectomy (OA) have shown conflicting results...
- Clinical and imaging characteristics relating to surgical outcomes of perforated appendicitisHong Ming Tsai
Department of Radiology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:127-32. 2008..To study the characteristics of clinical findings and CT imaging of perforated appendicitis for predicting the outcome of patients who received immediate appendectomy for perforated appendicitis...
- Acute presentation of infected urachal cysts: case report and review of diagnosis and therapeutic interventionsJason W Allen
Department of Radiology, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:108-11. 2004..Definitive diagnosis and treatment of an infected urachal cyst were made intraoperatively. A review and discussion of urachal remnants is presented, and a diagnostic algorithm and treatment plan is offered for this entity...
- Retained appendicolith after laparoscopic appendectomy: the need for systematic double ligature of the appendiceal baseP Guillem
Department of General and Endocrine Surgery, Lille University Hospital, Rue Michel Polonovski, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Surg Endosc 18:717-8. 2004..This postoperative complication could have been avoided if a systematic division of the appendix had been performed between double ligatures...
- Open and laparoscopic appendectomy are equally safe and acceptable in childrenT Oka
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hasbro Children s Hospital and Brown Medical School, 2 Dudley Street, Providence, RI 02905, USA
Surg Endosc 18:242-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate prospectively whether laparoscopic (LA) and open appendectomy (OA) are equally safe and feasible in the treatment of pediatric appendicitis...
- Image-guided drainage of multiple intraabdominal abscesses in children with perforated appendicitis: an alternative to laparotomyJeffrey W McCann
Image Guided Therapy, Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, M5G 1X8, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 38:661-8. 2008..Appendicitis is the most common cause of an acute abdomen in children. With perforation, multiple intraperitoneal collections can be seen at presentation. In this situation, surgical treatment alone is rarely effective...
- [Value of the transgluteal approach under CT-guidance for percutaneous interventional image guided procedures]C Aube
Departement de Radiologie, CHU Angers
J Radiol 85:117-23. 2004..To assess the CT-guided transgluteal approach for percutaneous interventional image guided procedures...
- Concordance of interrater assessments of surgical methods to achieve source control of intra-abdominal infectionsPaul N Suding
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA, USA
Am J Surg 196:70-3. 2008..We sought to characterize whether surgeons agree on methods of source control for patients who had persistent infection despite initial surgical treatment and antimicrobials...
- [Abdominopelvic actinomycosis: a tumoral syndrome due to bacterial infection]F Sergent
Clinique Gynécologique et Obstétricale, Pavillon Mère Enfant, Hôpital Charles Nicolle Rouen
J Chir (Paris) 141:150-6. 2004..Actinomycosis should be included in the differential diagnosis of abdominopelvic tumors, inflammatory bowel disease, and endometriosis-particularly in a woman with an intrauterine contraceptive device...
- Appendiceal abscess drainageMark J Hogan
Columbus Children s Hospital, Department of Radiology, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 6:205-14. 2003..Radiation doses must be minimized due to the increased risk in children. This article will discuss imaging in children with suspected appendiceal abscesses and drainage techniques...
- Risk factors of pancreatic leakage after pancreaticoduodenectomyYin Mo Yang
Department of Surgery, The First Teaching Hospital, Health Science Center, Beijing University, Beijing 100034, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:2456-61. 2005..To analyze the risk factors for pancreatic leakage after pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) and to evaluate whether duct-to-mucosa pancreaticojejunostomy could reduce the risk of pancreatic leakage...
- Influence of in-vivo endotoxin liberation on anti-anaerobic antimicrobial efficacyV O Rotimi
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat
J Chemother 13:510-8. 2001..nucleatum in the mice and hamster models while with the B. fragilis group, infections only led to intra-abdominal abscess formation. Plasma endotoxin release was higher in animals infected with F. nucleatum than B...
- [Laparoscopic appendectomy after the learning curve]E Rezola
Servicio de Pediatria, Hospital Donostia, Osakidetza Servicio Vasco de Salud, San Sebastian
Cir Pediatr 21:167-72. 2008..With the aim to clarify this aspects, we reviewed our experience in laparoscopic appendectomy during (LDC) and after (LAC) the "learning curve" and we compared their complications with the open appendectomies' ones...
- Do perforated duodenal ulcers need an acid-decreasing surgical procedure now that omeprazole is available?D V Feliciano
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
Surg Clin North Am 72:369-80. 1992..Preoperative shock, concurrent medical diseases, severe generalized peritonitis, or the presence of an intra-abdominal abscess are contraindications to a definitive ulcer operation; hence, simple closure or omental patch closure is ..
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy: role of interventional radiologists in managing patients and complicationsTaylor A Sohn
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 North Wolfe Street, Blalock 606, Baltimore, MD 21287 4606, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 7:209-19. 2003..Percutaneous aspiration/catheter drainage was required in 84 patients for intra-abdominal abscess, biloma, or lymphocele, with 24 requiring two or more abscess drains...
- Perioperative antibiotic use in high-risk penetrating hollow viscus injury: a prospective randomized, double-blind, placebo-control trial of 24 hours versus 5 daysO C Kirton
University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Florida, USA
J Trauma 49:822-32. 2000....
- Acute oral leucine administration stimulates protein synthesis during chronic sepsis through enhanced association of eukaryotic initiation factor 4G with eukaryotic initiation factor 4E in ratsThomas C Vary
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Nutr 137:2074-9. 2007..in accelerating mRNA translation initiation in skeletal muscle of rats with chronic (5-6 d) septic intra-abdominal abscess. Gastrocnemius from male Sprague Dawley rats gavaged with Leu or water were sampled 5-6 d following ..
- Clonal spread of CTX-M-15-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Croatian hospitalMirna Vranic-Ladavac
County of Istria Public Health Institute, Nazorova 23, Pula, Croatia
J Med Microbiol 59:1069-78. 2010..from urine (61 %), followed by blood cultures (13 %), wound swabs (13 %), tracheal aspirates (5 %), intra-abdominal abscess aspirates (4 %), intravascular catheters (3 %) and cerebrospinal fluid (1 %)...
- Laparoscopic appendectomy in children can be done as a fast-track or same-day surgeryHarsh Grewal
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Temple University Children s Medical Center, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
JSLS 8:151-4. 2004..We, therefore, looked at our data to assess whether laparoscopic appendectomy in children could be performed as fast-track or same-day surgery (< or = 24-hour postoperative stay)...
- Sutureless Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy Using Laser Tissue Welding: PreclinicYasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2013..the frequency of adverse events, such as 30 day postoperative morbidity due to a) secondary infection, intra-abdominal abscess formation and septicemia, b) late bleeding or secondary hemorrhage or hematoma;c) urine leak;d) damage to ..
- TEACHING BIOLOGY THROUGH IMMUNOLOGY FELLOWSHIPSArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, we will also survey each teacher and school district previously in the program in order to determine the effect of the program on science education and student career choices. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF NEUTROPHIL OXIDATIVE RESPONSES IN TRAUMAJoseph Solomkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, these studies will define potential points for therapeutic intervention and provide important insight into regulation of the acute inflammatory response. ..
- Host Response in S. aureus Infections: Role of T cellsArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2006..aureus infections. This information may reveal new strategies for the prevention or treatment of S. aureus infections through immunomodulation of the host response to this organism. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference on Microbial PolysaccharidesArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2004..This meeting will provide a unique environment for scientific exchange between a diverse group of investigators in the area of microbial polysaccharides. ..
- Surgical Adhesions: Role of T cells in PathogenesisArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Effect of Hypertonic Resuscitation for Blunt TraumaEileen Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Hypertonic Modulation of Inflammation following InjuryEileen M Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies will provide valuable information to determine the ultimate therapeutic use of the resuscitation strategy. ..
- Alcohol-Induced Regulation of Hepatic Protein SynthesisTHOMAS VARY; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OSCCAR: A Novel, Population-based Prospective Inception Cohort of Inflammatory BoBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modulation of Dendritic Cell Function by CytomegalovirusJATIN VYAS; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed program will allow the candidate to obtain the skills, knowledge and experience to become an independent investigator. ..
- Biomarkers of COX-2 inhibitors in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN)Christian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMURAN Dose Ranging Study in Crohn's DiseaseBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- CLOTRIMAZOLE ENEMAS FOR POUCHITIS IN CHILDREN AND ADULTSPAUL RUFO; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- IMMUNOMODULATION IN INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASEBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The principal investigator seeks to become an independent clinical investigator by completing the didactic and scientific portions of this proposal. ..
- Videoscopic Drainage of Infected Pancreatic CollectionsKaren Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal is to use data obtained from this study as the basis for a multicenter, Phase III, randomized study comparing the VARD to the current standard of care, open surgical necrosectomy. ..
- CLOTRIMAZOLE THERAPY FOR HUMAN DIARRHEAL DISEASESPAUL RUFO; Fiscal Year: 2003..To receive formal training in biostatistics, epidemiology, and research ethics, Dr. Rufo will complete a Masters of Medical Sciences degree program at Harvard Medical School. ..