Genomes and Genes
soft tissue infections
Summary: Infections of non-skeletal tissue, i.e., exclusive of bone, ligaments, cartilage, and fibrous tissue. The concept is usually referred to as skin and soft tissue infections and usually subcutaneous and muscle tissue are involved. The predisposing factors in anaerobic infections are trauma, ischemia, and surgery. The organisms often derive from the fecal or oral flora, particularly in wounds associated with intestinal surgery, decubitus ulcer, and human bites. (From Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 19th ed, p1688)
Publications338 found, 100 shown here
- Staphylococcus lugdunensis, a common cause of skin and soft tissue infections in the communitySidsel Böcher
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Viborg, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 47:946-50. 2009..S. lugdunensis should be accepted as a significant pathogen in SSTI and should be looked for in all routine bacteriological examinations, and clinicians should be acquainted with the name and the pathology of the bacterium...
- Contemporary causes of skin and soft tissue infections in North America, Latin America, and Europe: report from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (1998-2004)Gary J Moet
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:7-13. 2007The morbidity and cost for cure associated with skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) have recently become more complicated because of the increasing prevalence of multidrug-resistant pathogens associated with this healthcare problem...
- Epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus blood and skin and soft tissue infections in the US military health system, 2005-2010Michael L Landrum
Infectious Disease Service, San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234, USA
JAMA 308:50-9. 2012..Rates of hospital-onset methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections are reported as decreasing, but recent rates of community-onset S. aureus infections are less known...
- Methicillin-resistant S. aureus infections among patients in the emergency departmentGregory J Moran
Department of Emergency Medicine, Olive View UCLA Medical Center, Sylmar, Calif 91342, USA
N Engl J Med 355:666-74. 2006..Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is increasingly recognized in infections among persons in the community without established risk factors for MRSA...
- Skin and soft tissue infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 cloneJennifer K Johnson
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1195-200. 2007..We studied MRSA infections and overall skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) in outpatients receiving care at the Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center Emergency Care ..
- National trends in ambulatory visits and antibiotic prescribing for skin and soft-tissue infectionsAdam L Hersh
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California St, San Francisco, CA 94143 0936, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1585-91. 2008..It is unknown whether this development has affected the national rate of visits to primary care practices and emergency departments (EDs) and whether changes in antibiotic prescribing have occurred...
- Increased US emergency department visits for skin and soft tissue infections, and changes in antibiotic choices, during the emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusDaniel J Pallin
Department of Emergency Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 51:291-8. 2008Test the hypotheses that emergency department (ED) visits for skin and soft tissue infections became more frequent during the emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), and that antibiotics ..
- Staphylococcal resistance revisited: community-acquired methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus--an emerging problem for the management of skin and soft tissue infectionsE Anne Eady
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 16:103-24. 2003In the community non-localized or deep staphylococcal skin and soft tissue infections are typically managed with beta-lactamase stable penicillins...
- Epidemiology and molecular characteristics of community-associated methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus from skin/soft tissue infections in a children's hospital in Beijing, ChinaDejing Wu
Beijing Children s Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100045, China
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 67:1-8. 2010..aureus (MSSA) from children with skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) in Beijing, China, prospective community-acquired S...
- Trends in US hospital admissions for skin and soft tissue infectionsJohn Edelsberg
Policy Analysis Inc, Brookline, Massachusetts 02445, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1516-8. 2009..and Utilization Project National Inpatient Sample, we found that total hospital admissions for skin and soft tissue infections increased by 29% during 2000-2004; admissions for pneumonia were largely unchanged...
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft-tissue infectionsDennis L Stevens
Infectious Diseases Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Boise, Idaho 83702, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1373-406. 2005
- Severity assessment of skin and soft tissue infections: cohort study of management and outcomes for hospitalized patientsCharis Marwick
Quality, Safety and Informatics Research Group, Division of Clinical and Population Sciences and Education, Mackenzie Building, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4BF, Scotland, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:387-97. 2011Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are caused by bacterial invasion of the skin and underlying soft tissues and can present with a wide spectrum of signs, symptoms and illness severity...
- Panton-Valentine leukocidin associated staphylococcal disease: a cross-sectional study at a London hospital, EnglandL J Shallcross
Research Department of Infection and Population Health, University College London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:1644-8. 2010..Community-onset PVL-associated disease is common in the UK and mainly causes skin and soft tissue infections that do not require admission to hospital...
- Staphylococcus aureus activation of caspase 1/calpain signaling mediates invasion through human keratinocytesGrace Soong
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Infect Dis 205:1571-9. 2012..These studies suggest that pharmacological interruption of specific keratinocyte signaling cascades as well as targeting the Hla might prevent invasive skin infection by staphylococci...
- Effectiveness of measures to eradicate Staphylococcus aureus carriage in patients with community-associated skin and soft-tissue infections: a randomized trialStephanie A Fritz
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 32:872-80. 2011..Despite a paucity of evidence, decolonization measures are prescribed for outpatients with recurrent Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft-tissue infection (SSTI)...
- Epidemiology and outcomes of complicated skin and soft tissue infections in hospitalized patientsMarcus J Zervos
Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:238-45. 2012Complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTIs) are among the most rapidly increasing reasons for hospitalization...
- Phase 2, randomized, double-blind, dose-ranging study evaluating the safety, tolerability, population pharmacokinetics, and efficacy of oral torezolid phosphate in patients with complicated skin and skin structure infectionsP Prokocimer
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, 6310 Nancy Ridge Drive, Suite 105, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:583-92. 2011..9 liters (35.7%). Results of this study show a high degree of efficacy at all three dose levels without significant differences in the safety profile and support the continued evaluation of TP for the treatment of cSSSI in phase 3 trials...
- Skin and soft tissue infections in hospitalised patients with diabetes: culture isolates and risk factors associated with mortality, length of stay and costB A Lipsky
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, General Internal Medicine S 111 PCC, University of Washington, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA, USA
Diabetologia 53:914-23. 2010Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) cause substantial morbidity in persons with diabetes. There are few data on pathogens or risk factors associated with important outcomes in diabetic patients hospitalised with SSTIs.
- Comparison of Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft-tissue infections in US emergency department patients, 2004 and 2008David A Talan
Department of Emergency Medicine
Clin Infect Dis 53:144-9. 2011..Little information exists regarding trends in MRSA prevalence and molecular characteristics or regarding antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of S. aureus isolates...
- The LRINEC (Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis) score: a tool for distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from other soft tissue infectionsChin Ho Wong
Department of Plastic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Crit Care Med 32:1535-41. 2004..We aimed to develop a novel diagnostic scoring system for distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from other soft tissue infections based on laboratory tests routinely performed for the evaluation of severe soft tissue infections: the ..
- Widespread skin and soft-tissue infections due to two methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains harboring the genes for Panton-Valentine leucocidinBinh An Diep
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2080-4. 2004..0001). There is evidence of clonal replacement over the period from 1999 to 2002, with one of these two clonal groups being supplanted by the other...
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections at a public hospital: do public housing and incarceration amplify transmission?Bala Hota
Department of Medicine, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1026-33. 2007..Understanding the epidemiology of CA-MRSA is critical for developing control measures...
- Emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA 300 clone as the predominant cause of skin and soft-tissue infectionsMark D King
Emory University School of Medicine and Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:309-17. 2006..Studies have shown that community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) causes S. aureus skin and soft-tissue infection in selected populations...
- Recurrent skin and soft tissue infections due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus requiring operative debridementPranavi Sreeramoju
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Am J Surg 201:216-20. 2011The aim of this study was to examine clinical factors associated with the recurrence of community-onset skin and soft tissue infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- Diagnosis and management of Staphylococcus aureus infections of the skin and soft tissueS Roberts
Department of Microbiology, LabPlus, Auckland District Health Board, Auckland, New Zealand
Intern Med J 35:S97-105. 2005..There are few studies that have critically appraised the use of antibiotics in skin and soft tissue infections, and most guidelines are based on expert opinion...
- Increasing incidence and sociodemographic variation in community-onset Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections in New Zealand childrenDeborah A Williamson
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:923-5. 2013..A total of 1860 children were included. There was significant sociodemographic disparity, with the incidence disproportionately higher in Maori and Pacific Island children residing in deprived areas. ..
- Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft tissue infections in patients in Nairobi, KenyaEdward K Maina
Centre for Microbiology Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, P O Box 19464 00202 Nairobi, Kenya
Int J Infect Dis 17:e115-9. 2013Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are among the most common infectious diseases and a frequent cause of hospital visits...
- Antibacterial resistance, genes encoding toxins and genetic background among Staphylococcus aureus isolated from community-acquired skin and soft tissue infections in France: a national prospective surveyB Lamy
Department of Bacteriology, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, 34295, Montpellier, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:1279-84. 2012..MRSA strains isolated from putative CA-SSTIs exhibited a genetic and phenotypic background of hospital-acquired (HA) clones. National survey should be continued, in order to monitor the emergence of virulent clones...
- High prevalence of ST121 in community-associated methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus lineages responsible for skin and soft tissue infections in Portuguese childrenT Conceição
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Oeiras, Portugal
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:293-7. 2011..30 children attending the pediatric emergency department of a central hospital in Lisbon due to skin and soft tissue infections. Molecular characterization identified seven clonal lineages among the 35 methicillin-susceptible S...
- The epidemiology of hematogenous vertebral osteomyelitis: a cohort study in a tertiary care hospitalKavita P Bhavan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St, Louis, MO, USA
BMC Infect Dis 10:158. 2010..Limited data exist regarding hematogenous vertebral osteomyelitis. Our objective was to describe the epidemiology and management of hematogenous vertebral osteomyelitis...
- Comparative effectiveness of antibiotic treatment strategies for pediatric skin and soft-tissue infectionsDerek J Williams
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine and Monroe Carell Jr Children s Hospital, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2573, USA
Pediatrics 128:e479-87. 2011..To compare the effectiveness of clindamycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, and β-lactams for the treatment of pediatric skin and soft-tissue infections (SSTIs)...
- Clinical and molecular characteristics of invasive and noninvasive skin and soft tissue infections caused by group A StreptococcusJiun Nong Lin
Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 49:3632-7. 2011The severity of skin and soft tissue infections caused by group A Streptococcus (GAS) is variable, and there are only a limited number of studies evaluating the characteristics of these infections in the literature...
- Infections due to rapidly growing mycobacteriaMary A De Groote
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:1756-63. 2006..Here, we focus on the members of the rapidly growing mycobacteria because of their emerging importance in both sporadic infections and outbreak settings...
- Clinical decisions. Management of skin and soft-tissue infection--polling resultsSarah P Hammond
Division of Infectious Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 359:e20. 2008
- Population-based study of the increased incidence of skin and soft tissue infections and associated antimicrobial useFawziah Marra
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:6243-9. 2012..Canada on physician visits, incision-and-drainage procedures, and antibiotic prescribing for skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI)...
- ABSCESS: applied bedside sonography for convenient evaluation of superficial soft tissue infectionsBenjamin T Squire
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Acad Emerg Med 12:601-6. 2005b>Soft tissue infections are a common presenting complaint in the emergency department (ED). The authors sought to determine the utility of ED bedside ultrasonography (US) in detecting subcutaneous abscesses.
- Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections at a tertiary hospital in BotswanaHong Truong
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
S Afr Med J 101:413-6. 2011..aureus isolates over time...
- Trends in sources of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bacteraemia: data from the national mandatory surveillance of MRSA bacteraemia in England, 2006-2009J Wilson
Healthcare Associated Infection and Antimicrobial Resistance Department, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
J Hosp Infect 79:211-7. 2011..These changes have occurred in the context of a general decline in the rate of MRSA bacteraemia in England since 2006...
- Clinical isolates of Pantone-Valentine leucocidin- and gamma-haemolysin-producing Staphylococcus aureus: prevalence and association with clinical infectionsI Mesrati
Laboratory of Research, Resistance aux Antimicrobiens, Faculty of Medicine of Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia
J Hosp Infect 75:265-8. 2010..6%) were community-acquired. There was a strong association between pvl genes and skin and soft tissue infections, especially abscesses (60% of strains; P = 0.008) and furunculosis (55.5% of strains; P = 0.036)...
- Prevalence, severity, and treatment of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) skin and soft tissue infections in 10 medical clinics in Texas: a South Texas Ambulatory Research Network (STARNet) studyNicolas A Forcade
College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 24:543-50. 2011....
- Changes in community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections presenting to the pediatric emergency department: comparing 2003 to 2008Mia L Karamatsu
Department of Emergency Medicine, Loma Linda University Medical Center and Children s Hospital, Loma Linda, CA 92154, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 28:131-5. 2012....
- Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections among children in an emergency department in Madrid, SpainM Daskalaki
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Avenida de Cordoba sn, Madrid, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:74-7. 2010..who attended the emergency department with community-associated (CA) Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) were enrolled in the study. Seven cases of infection (13.2%) were due to methicillin-resistant S...
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: prevalence in skin and soft tissue infections at emergency departments in the Greater Toronto Area and associated risk factorsHeather J Adam
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CJEM 11:439-46. 2009..We assessed the prevalence, risk factors, microbiological characteristics and outcomes of CA-MRSA in patients with purulent skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) presenting to emergency departments (EDs) in the Greater Toronto Area.
- High prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in emergency department skin and soft tissue infectionsBradley W Frazee
Department of Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center Highland Campus, Oakland, CA 94602, USA
Ann Emerg Med 45:311-20. 2005..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among emergency department (ED) patients with skin and soft tissue infections, identify demographic and clinical variables associated with MRSA, and characterize MRSA by antimicrobial ..
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections: APACHE II score, dissemination, and survivalTuncay Yilmazlar
Department of General Surgery, Uludag University School of Medicine, Gorukle Kampusu, Bursa, 21900, Turkey
World J Surg 31:1858-62. 2007First described more than a century ago, necrotizing soft tissue infections (NSTIs) continue to cause high mortality and morbidity...
- Epidemiology and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria causing skin and soft tissue infections in the USA and Europe: a guide to appropriate antimicrobial therapyMark E Jones
Focus Technologies, Dwarsdijk 30, 3612AP Tienhoven, Netherlands
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:406-19. 2003Susceptibility data for all organisms associated with a range of skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI) in hospitalised patients were studied...
- Epidemiology and outcomes of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionS L Davis
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1705-11. 2007..7 to 6.9). In the community setting, the molecular characteristics of the S. aureus strains were heterogeneous. CA-MRSA infections were associated with a more adverse impact on outcome than CA-MSSA infections...
- Complicated skin and soft tissue infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: epidemiology, risk factors, and presentationMatthew Dryden
Microbiology and Communicable Disease, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 9:s3-10. 2008Complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTIs) present a challenge to healthcare providers. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is an increasing cause of these infections, particularly in certain countries...
- An epidemic of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus soft tissue infections among medically underserved patientsDavid M Young
Department of Surgery, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco 94110, USA
Arch Surg 139:947-51; discussion 951-3. 2004A high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in soft tissue infections presents a treatment challenge.
- Staphylococcus aureus skin/soft-tissue infections: the impact of SCCmec type and Panton-Valentine leukocidinHoussein Jahamy
Department of Medicine, St John Hospital and Medical Center, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 40:601-6. 2008..PVL is implicated in abscess formation but not bacteremia. Bacteremia is likely related to host condition and/or other virulence factors that were not studied...
- Emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections as a common cause of hospitalization in United States childrenChristopher R Frei
The University of Texas at Austin, College of Pharmacy, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:1967-74. 2010..Since then, possible risk factors for contracting CA-MRSA have been hypothesized, but supporting studies are limited...
- Predictors of clinical virulence in community-onset methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: the importance of USA300 and pneumoniaBala Hota
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:757-65. 2011..We sought to evaluate if the USA300 strain of CO-MRSA causes more severe infections than other MRSA (ie, USA100, -500, -800, and others) strains...
- Epidemiological differences between the UK and Ireland versus France in Staphylococcus aureus isolates resistant to fusidic acid from community-acquired skin and soft tissue infectionsA R Larsen
Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:589-94. 2008To characterize the epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus isolates resistant to fusidic acid isolated from patients with skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) in France, the UK and Ireland.
- Molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus isolates causing skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs)Dan Yao
Department of Respiratory Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou325000, China
BMC Infect Dis 10:133. 2010..aureus (MRSA), is an important cause of pyogenic skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs)...
- Emergence and characterization of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphyloccocus aureus infections in Denmark, 1999 to 2006A R Larsen
Statens Serum Institut, National Center for Antimicrobials and Infection Control, Artillerivej 5 B 47 204, 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 47:73-8. 2009..CA-MRSA was associated with a young age, skin and soft tissue infections, and non-Danish origin. Transmission between household members was frequently reported...
- Efficacy and safety of linezolid versus vancomycin for the treatment of complicated skin and soft-tissue infections proven to be caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusKamal M F Itani
VA Boston Healthcare System and Boston University, 1400 VFW Pkwy, Boston, MA 02132, USA
Am J Surg 199:804-16. 2010..This open-label study compared oral or intravenous linezolid with intravenous vancomycin for treatment of complicated skin and soft-tissue infections (cSSTIs) caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)...
- Randomized comparison of linezolid (PNU-100766) versus oxacillin-dicloxacillin for treatment of complicated skin and soft tissue infectionsD L Stevens
Infectious Diseases Section, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Boise, Idaho, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:3408-13. 2000..linezolid, an oxazolidinone, with those of oxacillin-dicloxacillin in patients with complicated skin and soft tissue infections. A total of 826 hospitalized adult patients were randomized to receive linezolid (600 mg intravenously [i...
- Treatment of complicated skin and soft tissue infectionsAddison K May
Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37212, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 10:467-99. 2009Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) may produce substantial morbidity and mortality rates, particularly those classified as complicated or necrotizing.
- The safety and efficacy of daptomycin for the treatment of complicated skin and skin-structure infectionsRobert D Arbeit
Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Lexington, Massachusetts 02421, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1673-81. 2004..0001). The frequency and distribution of adverse events were similar among both treatment groups. Overall, the safety and efficacy of daptomycin were comparable with conventional therapy...
- A severity score for complicated skin and soft tissue infections derived from phase III studies of linezolidSamuel Eric Wilson
Department of Surgery, University of California Irvine, UCI Medical Center, 101 The City Dr, South Orange, CA 92868, USA
Am J Surg 185:369-75. 2003..Severity scoring systems are useful for assessing patient risk and predicting prognosis...
- MR imaging with ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide particles in experimental soft-tissue infections in ratsAchim H Kaim
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 225:808-14. 2002..To investigate the feasibility of macrophage magnetic resonance (MR) imaging in rats by using an experimental soft-tissue infection model...
- Functional-morphologic MR imaging with ultrasmall superparamagnetic particles of iron oxide in acute and chronic soft-tissue infection: study in ratsAchim H Kaim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Radiology 227:169-74. 2003....
- Efficacy of gaseous nitric oxide in the treatment of skin and soft tissue infectionsAbdi Ghaffari
Wound Healing Lab, Department of Surgery, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wound Repair Regen 15:368-77. 2007....
- The epidemiology of and risk factors for invasive Staphylococcus aureus infections in western SwedenGunnar Jacobsson
From the Department of Infectious Diseases, Research and Development Centre, Skaraborg Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 39:6-13. 2007..One- quarter of the patients had no history of fever, and one-third of the bacteraemia patients had normal white blood cell count (<10 x 10(9)/l) at presentation. All cases were of MSSA (methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus)...
- Virulence potential of Escherichia coli isolates from skin and soft tissue infectionsZiva Petkovsek
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Microbiol 47:1811-7. 2009Escherichia coli strains frequently are isolated from skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI); however, their virulence potential has not yet been extensively studied. In the present study, we characterized 102 E...
- US hospitalizations and costs for illicit drug users with soft tissue infectionsTraci A Takahashi
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, 1660 S Columbian Way, S 111 PCC, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 37:508-18. 2010Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are common complications of illicit drug use. Studies at single, urban hospitals demonstrate high rates of emergency department visits and hospitalizations for these infections...
- Current management of patients hospitalized with complicated skin and soft tissue infections across Europe (2010-2011): assessment of clinical practice patterns and real-life effectiveness of antibiotics from the REACH studyJ Garau
Department of Medicine, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:E377-85. 2013Complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTI) are common and frequently require treatment in hospital. Comprehensive current data on management practices in patients hospitalized with cSSTI are limited...
- Daptomycin versus other antimicrobial agents for the treatment of skin and soft tissue infections: a meta-analysisIoannis A Bliziotis
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
Ann Pharmacother 44:97-106. 2010Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are common in everyday clinical practice. Daptomycin has been shown to achieve very good concentrations in skin and soft tissues.
- Board-certified emergency physicians' treatment of skin and soft tissue infections in the community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus eraFrank LoVecchio
Maricopa Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine, Phoenix, AZ 85008, USA
Am J Emerg Med 27:68-70. 2009Emergency physicians commonly treat skin and soft tissue infections. Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) has become the prominent etiologic agent in these infections...
- Linezolid reduces length of stay and duration of intravenous treatment compared with vancomycin for complicated skin and soft tissue infections due to suspected or proven methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)Kamal M F Itani
Boston VA Health Care System and Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 26:442-8. 2005We compared the health outcomes in patients treated with linezolid or vancomycin for complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTIs)...
- In vitro activity of daptomycin against Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium isolates associated with skin and soft tissue infections: first results from IndiaBenu Dhawan
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 29, India
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 65:196-8. 2009..Daptomycin was the most active agent against both S. aureus (MIC(90), 1 microg/mL; 100% susceptible) and VREF (MIC(90), 4 microg/mL; 100% susceptible), making it an excellent therapeutic option...
- Safety and efficacy of daptomycin as first-line treatment for complicated skin and soft tissue infections in elderly patients: an open-label, multicentre, randomized phase IIIb trialAlexander Konychev
Surgery Department, City Hospital, Ulitsa Kosinova, St Petersburg, Russia
Drugs Aging 30:829-36. 2013Daptomycin has proven efficacy in patients with Gram-positive complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTIs), including those caused by Staphylococcus aureus, regardless of methicillin susceptibility.
- Soft tissue infections caused by spore-forming bacteria in injecting drug users in the United KingdomM M Brett
Food Safety Microbiology Laboratory, Health Protection Agency Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 133:575-82. 2005..Clinicians and laboratories must report such cases (or likely cases) rapidly so that clusters can be rapidly identified, in order to control disease. Prevention relies on tetanus immunization...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae skin and soft tissue infections: characterization of causative strains and clinical illnessJ M Garcia-Lechuz
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases HIV, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Dr Esquerdo 46, 28007 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:247-53. 2007Streptococcus pneumoniae is an uncommon cause of skin and soft tissue infections, yet the incidence and clinical significance of its isolation in samples of skin or soft tissues in unselected hospital samples is poorly understood...
- Treatment of MRSA soft tissue infections: an overviewM Morgan
Department of Microbiology, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust, Barrack Road, Exeter EX2 5DW, UK
Injury 42:S11-7. 2011..emergence of new highly spreadable strains (community associated or CA-MRSA) novel presentation skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI) are being seen...
- Emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus soft tissue infectionsMax Olesevich
Department of Surgery, Pediatric General Surgery, East Tennessee Children s Hospital, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:765-8. 2007..Our objective is to describe the changing incidence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) and its treatment within East Tennessee...
- Frequency of panton-valentine leukocidin-producing methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus strains in patients with complicated skin and soft tissue infection in bronx, new yorkAnna Kaltsas
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Infectious Disease Division, 1300 Morris Park Ave, UL 1223, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:2992-5. 2011..aureus (MRSA) and MSSA SSTIs were comparable. In multivariable analysis, the presence of lukF-PV remained a significant predictor for incision and drainage among MSSA strains...
- Rates of antimicrobial resistance among common bacterial pathogens causing respiratory, blood, urine, and skin and soft tissue infections in pediatric patientsM E Jones
Focus Technologies, Herndon, VA 20171, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:445-55. 2004..4% (USA). Among isolates from blood and skin and soft tissue infections, the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) ranged from 7...
- [Daptomycin in complicated skin and soft tissue infections]José Barberán
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Central de Defensa Gómez Ulla, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 30:33-7. 2012In recent years, Staphylococcus aureus, the most commonly identified infectious agent causing skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs), has shown an increase in methicillin resistance and decreased susceptibility to vancomycin...
- Skin and soft tissue infections caused by community-associated methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus among children in ChinaW Geng
Beijing Children s Hospital Affiliated with the Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Acta Paediatr 99:575-80. 2010To investigate the characteristic of community-associated methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) among children in China.
- Complicated skin and soft tissue infectionMatthew S Dryden
Department of Microbiology, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Romsey Road, Winchester SO22 5DG, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:iii35-44. 2010Skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are common, and complicated SSTIs (cSSTIs) are the more extreme end of this clinical spectrum, encompassing a range of clinical presentations such as deep-seated infection, a requirement for ..
- Self-reported incidence of skin and soft tissue infections among deployed US militaryLarissa May
Department of Emergency Medicine, The George Washington University, 2150 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 2B, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Travel Med Infect Dis 9:213-20. 2011The incidence of skin and soft tissue infections has steadily increased over the past decade, and military populations, particularly recruits, have been affected...
- Severe soft tissue infections of the extremities in patients admitted to an intensive care unitJ R Zahar
Service de Réanimation Médicale and d Immunologie Clinique, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:79-82. 2005..At admission, patients with NF were more likely to have skin areas of ischaemia or necrosis, fluid-filled vesicles, and severe sepsis or septic shock...
- Geographic distribution of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus soft tissue infectionsConnie J Rossini
Department of Surgery, Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, MA, USA
J Pediatr Surg 46:1089-92. 2011..The goal of this study is to look at the geographic growth patterns of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections in our local region and to determine if specific geographic areas are at increased risk...
- Changes in the classification and management of skin and soft tissue infectionsRoland Koerner
Department of Microbiology, Sunderland Royal Hospital, Kayll Road, Sunderland SR4 7TP, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:232-4. 2011Although skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are extremely common in both primary and secondary care, there is a lack of validated evidence-based schemes for the classification of clinical presentation or severity, and there are few ..
- Outbreak of skin and soft tissue infections in a hospital newborn nursery in Italy due to community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 cloneA Sanchini
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Hosp Infect 83:36-40. 2013..Community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) is responsible for severe infections in previously healthy people acquired in the community in different areas of the world...
- Clinafloxacin versus piperacillin/tazobactam in the treatment of severe skin and soft-tissue infections in adults at a Veterans Affairs medical centerFlora S Siami
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37212 2637, USA
Clin Ther 24:59-72. 2002..Thus, there is a continuing search for reasonably safe, well-tolerated, and effective antimicrobial agents that are less susceptible to the development of resistance than older agents...
- Prognostic aspects, survival rate, and predisposing risk factors in patients with Fournier's gangrene and necrotizing soft tissue infections: evaluation of clinical outcome of 55 patientsA Martinschek
Department of Urology, Federal Armed Forces Hospital of Ulm, Ulm, Germany Martinschek web de
Urol Int 89:173-9. 2012To determine predisposing or prognostic factors and mortality rates of patients with Fournier's gangrene compared to other necrotizing soft tissue infections (NSTI).
- Mupirocin and chlorhexidine resistance in Staphylococcus aureus in patients with community-onset skin and soft tissue infectionsStephanie A Fritz
Departments of Pediatrics, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:559-68. 2013..including mupirocin and chlorhexidine, are often prescribed to prevent Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI)...
- Clinical practice. Skin and soft-tissue infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusRobert S Daum
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, University of Chicago, Chicago, USA
N Engl J Med 357:380-90. 2007
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections--are they different in healthy vs immunocompromised children?Sonia A Butterworth
Department of Surgery, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6H 3V4
J Pediatr Surg 41:935-9. 2006..Necrotizing soft tissue infection (NSTI) is rare and often devastating. We sought to define our experience and determine if differences in immune status influenced outcome...
- Risk factors for the outcome of cirrhotic patients with soft tissue infectionsBer Ming Liu
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Niao Sung, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:312-6. 2008The aims of this study were to identify risk factors that influence outcomes of cirrhotic patients with soft tissue infections and to describe specific management for such patients.
- Treatment and prevention of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infectionsKyle J Popovich
Rush University Medical Center, Stroger Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dermatol Ther 21:167-79. 2008..Although skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) are the most common presentation, invasive and more virulent disease has been observed...
- Randomized, double-blind, phase II, multicenter study evaluating the safety/tolerability and efficacy of JNJ-Q2, a novel fluoroquinolone, compared with linezolid for treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infectionPaul Covington
Furiex Pharmaceuticals Inc, 3900 Paramount Parkway, Suite 150, Morrisville, North Carolina 27560, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5790-7. 2011..e., lack of spread of lesions and absence of fever at 48 to 72 h), and (ii) cure rates for ABSSSI pathogens (especially MRSA) consistent with the historical literature...
- Management of skin and soft tissue infections in community practice before and after implementing a "best practice" approach: an Iowa Research Network (IRENE) intervention studyJeanette M Daly
Department of Family Medicine, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 24:524-33. 2011Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) is a major pathogen among skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs). Most CA-MRSA infections are managed initially on an outpatient basis...
- Clinical efficacy of oral linezolid compared with intravenous vancomycin for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-complicated skin and soft tissue infections: a retrospective, propensity score-matched, case-control analysisKamal M F Itani
VA Boston Healthcare System and Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02132, USA
Clin Ther 34:1667-73.e1. 2012..open-label, comparator-controlled, multicenter, phase 4 clinical trial in adults with complicated skin and soft tissue infections (cSSTIs) caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), linezolid achieved clinical and ..
- Soft tissue infections of the extremities in an orthopaedic centre in the UKC P Charalambous
University Department of Orthopaedics, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
J Infect 46:106-10. 2003To determine the spectrum, and clinical impact of acute extremity soft tissue infections, encountered in the Orthopaedic service of an inner city hospital in UK.
- The impact of diabetes in patients with necrotizing soft tissue infectionsLillian S Kao
Department of General Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 6:427-38. 2005Given the association of diabetes with necrotizing soft tissue infections (NSTIs) and hyperglycemia with mortality in critically ill patients, this study investigates the impact of diabetes and hyperglycemia in NSTI patients.
- Toward new therapeutics for skin and soft tissue infections: propargyl-linked antifolates are potent inhibitors of MRSA and Streptococcus pyogenesKishore Viswanathan
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29434. 2012Hospital- and community-acquired, complicated skin and soft tissue infections, often attributed to Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes, present a significant health burden that is associated with increased health care costs ..
- Sepsis caused by peripelvic soft tissue infections in critically injured patients with multiple injuries and unstable pelvic fractureYuichi Kataoka
Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
J Trauma 66:1548-54; discussion 1554-5. 2009..In critically injured patients with multiple injuries and unstable pelvic fracture, late mortality almost invariably results from sepsis...
- Delayed diagnosis of atypical mycobacterial skin and soft tissue infections in non-immunocompromized hostsAndrea Witteck
Department of Infectious Diseases, Cantonal Hospital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Scand J Infect Dis 40:877-80. 2008Relapsing or persisting skin and soft tissue infections after injury with biological materials should prompt consideration of atypical mycobacteria, even in non-immunocompromized hosts...
- Group A Streptococcus responses to oxidative stressIoannis Gryllos; Fiscal Year: 2010..an infection state commonly referred to as 'strep throat', but it is also implicated in skin and soft tissue infections, as well as life threatening invasive disease and the post-streptococcal autoimmune conditions of acute ..
- Vaccine Assembly from Surface Proteins of Staphylococcus AureusOlaf Schneewind; Fiscal Year: 2013..States: Staphylococcus aureus is the leading cause of bloodstream, lower respiratory tract, skin and soft tissue infections. The broad spectrum of clinically important staphylococcal diseases includes also endocarditis, septic ..
- High-throughput Screenings to Identify Host Receptors for Staphylococcal AdhesinsRenata Pasqualini; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: Staphylococcus aureus is the leading cause of bloodstream, lower respiratory tract, skin and soft tissue infections in the United States with an annual mortality approaching 100,000 Americans lives...
- Prevention and therapy of Staphylococcus aureus infectionsOlaf Schneewind; Fiscal Year: 2010..Staphylococcus aureus is the leading cause of bloodstream, lower respiratory tract, skin and soft tissue infections in the world...
- Role of Staphylococcus aureus alpha-hemolysin in diseaseJuliane Bubeck Wardenburg; Fiscal Year: 2013..in disease Staphylococcus aureus is the leading cause of bloodstream, lower respiratory tract, skin and soft tissue infections in the United States. Demonstrating the broad tissue range and virulence properties of the pathogen, S...
- Host defense against Staphylococcus aureus skin infectionsLloyd S Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. aureus is responsible for the vast majority of skin and soft tissue infections such as impetigo, folliculitis, and cellulitis. In addition, S...
- Multi-specific Antibody Therapy by targeting S. aureus toxins and polysaccharidesM Javad Aman; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): Staphylococcus aureus is a human pathogen that causes a wide range of diseases from skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI) to life threatening sepsis and pneumonia. Infections with S...
- The Role of SaeR/S During Staphylococcus aureus Skin InfectionsJovanka M Voyich; Fiscal Year: 2012..aureus pathogenesis in order to develop better methods to control/treat CA-MRSA disease and thus improve public health. ..
- A novel Structure Based Vaccine for staphylococcal alpha hemolysinRajan P Adhikari; Fiscal Year: 2013..aureus is a gram positive human pathogen that causes a wide range of infections ranging from skin and soft tissue infections to life threatening diseases like sepsis and pneumonia. S...
- Heroin Price, Purity and Outcomes StudyDaniel H Ciccarone; Fiscal Year: 2013..BTH is suggestively associated with soft tissue infections, while PH is ecologically correlated with HIV...
- Novel oxadiazols for the treatment of drug-resistant gram-positive bacteriaShahriar Mobashery; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Staphylococcus aureus is responsible for a number of human diseases, including skin and soft tissue infections. Annually, 292,000 hospitalizations in the US are due to S...
- Epidemic CA-MRSA: Molecular Epidemiology and ImmunologyRobert S Daum; Fiscal Year: 2013..Double-Blind Trial of Clindamycin, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, or Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections Caused by Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA)...
- Recurrent MRSA Infections: A Study of Risk Factors and Molecular EpidemiologyMICHAEL ZDENEK DAVID; Fiscal Year: 2013..of MRSA have arisen that are causing an epidemic of infections in the community, particularly skin and soft tissue infections but also less common severe, invasive infections...
- Engineering the immune response for improved resolution of Staphylococcus infectiSCOTT IRWIN SIMON; Fiscal Year: 2013..For instance, MSRA involvement in skin and soft tissue infections increased from 4% to 42% between 2000 and 2005 and remains high...
- A longitudinal Study of CA-MRSA Nasal Colonization in College Sports ParticipantsClarence Buddy Creech; Fiscal Year: 2010..aureus colonizes the anterior nares of nearly one-third of people and is the leading cause of skin and soft tissue infections in children and adults...
- Staphylococcus aureus resistance to topical antimicrobial agents in childrenJONATHON CHASE MCNEIL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The data generated during this work can be used to fuel changes in clinical practice and improve outcomes for these vulnerable populations. ..
- A New Approach to Staphylococcus aureus Vaccine Development - Resubmission 01Brad J Spellberg; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Staphylococcus aureus is the most commonest cause of skin and soft tissue infections. Additionally, severe invasive S. aureus disease results in hospitalization with high mortality...
- MRSA Activation of Human Keratinocyte SignalingAlice S Prince; Fiscal Year: 2013..aureus USA300 is a formidable human pathogen isolated from the majority of human skin and soft tissue infections in the US...
- EMERGEncy ID Net StudyDAVID ANDREW TALAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among patients with skin and soft tissue infections. The specific aim for the EMERGEncy ID NET program is to continue collaboration with the CDC to conduct ..
- Exploratory Research on Late Initiation of Drug InjectionAlexander H Kral; Fiscal Year: 2012..Exploring DSS among late initiates will help to identify influential factors for the prevention of injection drug use, injection-related risks for HIV/AIDS, and other health and social consequences. ..
- Database designed novel anti-MRSA peptidesGuangshun Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..aureus (MRSA) USA300 represents a clade of genetically related strains that are a major cause of skin and soft tissue infections in the hospital as well as the community settings in otherwise healthy individuals...
- Moving the Field Forward: Evaluation of Antibiotic Prescribing Practices, the CliTIMOTHY CONRAD JENKINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..research interests have focused on improving antibiotic use for the treatment of bloodstream and skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs)...
- A Binary Probe-Based DNAzyme Cascade for Rapid Detection of MRSA/MSSAXiaoli Su; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: Staphylococcus aureus, particularly MRSA, is a major cause of infections ranging from skin and soft tissue infections to invasive, life-threatening infections such as bacteremia, endocarditis, etc...
- Clinical Trial for CA-MRSA InfectionsDENISE TRITT; Fiscal Year: 2011..CA-MRSA) Infections program provides a clinically relevant treatment strategy for uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections, more specifically, for treatment of suppurative infections (e.g...
- Structural, genetic, and functional analyses of the glycoproteins of BacteroidesLAURIE COMSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2009..abscesses and cases of anaerobic bacteremia, and has been isolated from patients with bone and soft tissue infections, and has been identified as a contributing factor to increased incidence of preterm labor...
- Bedside emergency ultrasound for the evaluation of soft tissue infectionsJennifer Marin; Fiscal Year: 2009Between 2001-2003 there were 11.6 million annual ambulatory care visits for skin and soft tissue infections, with a 31% increase in emergency department visits compared to the previous decade, according to the National Hospital ..
- Clinical Trial for CA-MRSA InfectionsDENISE TRITT; Fiscal Year: 2013..CA-MRSA) Infections program provides a clinically relevant treatment strategy for uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections, more specifically, for treatment of suppurative infections (e.g...
- Clinical Trial for CA-MRSA InfectionsDENISE TRITT; Fiscal Year: 2012..CA-MRSA) Infections program provides a clinically relevant treatment strategy for uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections, more specifically, for treatment of suppurative infections (e.g...
- Drug Market Characteristics: Antecedents and Sequelae on the U.S. Mexico BorderSteffanie Strathdee; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., soft tissue infections, overdose, mortality) among IDUs in both cities;3) To study trends in bi-directional cross-border mobility ..
- STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS FIBRONECTIN-BINDING ADHESINSBarbara Menzies; Fiscal Year: 2003..The use of FnBP as an anti-adhesin presents a novel therapeutic tool for the prevention of S. aureus infections. ..
- ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN ORAL & COLONIC ANAEROBESFRANCIS MACRINA; Fiscal Year: 1992..This work will use a wide array of modern genetic methodology including mutant isolation, transmission genetics, molecular cloning, in situ filter blot hybridization and DNA base sequence analysis...
- ABC TRANSPORTER IN GROUP A STREPTOCOCCUSCAMERON ASHBAUGH; Fiscal Year: 1999..The spectrum of GAS disease includes pharyngitis, skin infections, life-threatening soft tissue infections, and the unique postinfectious complications of acute rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis...
- Antibiotics from Soil DNA Clone Libraries: Selection of Anti-MRSA Lead CompoundsEna Urbach; Fiscal Year: 2007..Infection with S. aureus is a leading cause of sepsis and bacteremia, as well as pulmonary, skin and soft tissue infections, in both hospital and community settings. The rise of multiply drug-resistant pathogens generally, and S...
- Role of Pet Animals as Reservoirs for MRSA in HouseholdsDaniel Morris; Fiscal Year: 2009..to circulate either in the community or within healthcare facilities, and which cause serious skin and soft tissue infections of people...
- P GINGIVALIS HSP90 RECOGNITION IN PERIODONTAL DISEASEDomenica Sweier; Fiscal Year: 2003..Heat shock proteins have been found to be important in many soft tissue infections and have been referred to as virulence factors in some models...
- PREVENTION OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE IN INJECTION DRUG USERSCARMEN MASSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..drug users are at high risk for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, hepatitis B and C, skin and soft tissue infections, and other infectious diseases...
- Hospital Care IDUs with Soft Tissue InfectionsTraci Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..The aims of the proposed study are to (1) describe hospitalizations for illicit drug users with soft tissue infections (as a proxy for injection drug use-related soft tissue infections), (2) provide the first national ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Community-Associated MRSASANJAY SHUKLA; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will determine the presence or absence of 40 different virulence factor genes in all 320 isolates listed in aim 2 and determine evolution of virulence factor genes in contemporary CA-MRSA. ..
- BACTERIAL MODULATION OF LUNG INFLAMMATORY RESPONSEThomas Russo; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. hemolysin) and bacterially induced host response elements in directly mediating the pathogenesis of lung injury. ..
- Macrophage Targeted Photodynamic TherapyMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Antiretviral therapy adherence in resource poor settingDavid Bangsberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will be a first and necessary step to identifying the distribution and predictors of adherence to HIV antiretroviral therapy in a resource poor setting. ..
- Early Diagnosis of Growth Disorders Uing MR ImagingDiego Jaramillo; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- QUINOLONE RESISTANCE IN NOSOCOMIAL URINARY INFECTIONSEbbing Lautenbach; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Genital Ulcer Disease and HIV TransmissionJeanne Sheffield; Fiscal Year: 2005..The pursuit of these aims will further elucidate the cellular and molecular bases of the interrelationship between GUD and HIV-1 transmission, particularly in women. ..
- CARDIOTOXICITY OF STREPTOCOCCAL PYROGENIC EXOTOXINSPatrick Schlievert; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MECHANISMS OF GLYCOPEPTIDE RESISTANCE IN STAPHYLOCOCCIRobert Daum; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies should lead to an understanding of the mechanisms by which S. aureus resist the bactericidal effect of GPs and hopefully can identify new ideas regarding therapy of infections caused by resistant isolates. ..
- Novel Application of Infection Control Strategies to Limit Transmission of ESBL'SEbbing Lautenbach; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV Outcomes Research and Training in UgandaDavid Bangsberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Quinolone resistant E coli in long term care facilitiesEbbing Lautenbach; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- Sialic Acid O-Acetylation in GBS Pathogenesis & ImmunityVictor Nizet; Fiscal Year: 2010..Companion analyses will be performed on GBS isolates and human sera from recent prospective seroepidemiologic studies. ..
- A RCT of HIV Adherence Case Management and Modified DOTMargot Kushel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Outcomes will be assessed quarterly during the 6-month intervention and during a 6 month post-intervention period to examine the durability of the intervention effect. ..
- Spread of Community-Acquired MRSA Among Household ContactsRobert S Daum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Outbreaks of skin and soft tissue infections, necrotizing pneumonia, and sepsis syndromes due to CA-MRSA have been reported with increasing frequency...
- A Genetic Approach to Virulence in C. albicansSuzanne Noble; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this work should enhance our understanding of fungal pathogenesis and identify novel targets for antifungal therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical Impact of Quinolone-Resistant E.coli carriageEbbing Lautenbach; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ultraviolet-C Therapy for OnychomycosisMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SLS: Molecular Basis and Role in Invasive GAS DiseaseVictor Nizet; Fiscal Year: 2006..These hypotheses will be tested by molecular genetic studies, attempts protein purification and antibody development, and the use of targeted SLS mutants in in vitro assays of phagocytic function and our in vivo mouse model of GAS NF. ..
- MRSA Colonization and Control in the Cook County Jail - R01Robert Daum; Fiscal Year: 2008..We hope that the Cook County jail will become a model jail for the control of MRSA and other resistant bacteria. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IL-1 and IL-1ra Stimulation of S aureus ReplicationSIVADASAN KANANGAT; Fiscal Year: 2003..A better understanding of how bacteria such as S. aureus use IL-1 family of cytokines to replicate and defeat the host defense is highly relevant to the study of septic arthritis. ..
- Cellular Signaling Mechanisms in Macrophage Activation.Joseph Cuschieri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through an enhanced understanding of these mechanisms it is our goal that potential therapeutic targets may be discovered to regulate the inflammatory response following trauma/hemorrhage and ischemia/reperfusion. ..
- Impact of Gender on Infected Hospitalized PatientsRobert Sawyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Data obtained from this research will be used to design interventional studies utilizing hormonal manipulation, i. e., replacement or blockade, to improve outcomes from otherwise lethal infectious diseases. ..