Genomes and Genes
Summary: INFLAMMATION of the placental membranes (CHORION; AMNION) and connected tissues such as fetal BLOOD VESSELS and UMBILICAL CORD. It is often associated with intrauterine ascending infections during PREGNANCY.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of chorioamnionitis on brain development and injury in premature newbornsVann Chau
Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Ann Neurol 66:155-64. 2009The association of chorioamnionitis and noncystic white matter injury, a common brain injury in premature newborns, remains controversial...
- The role of inflammation and infection in preterm birthRoberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Semin Reprod Med 25:21-39. 2007..Most cases of histopathological inflammation and histological chorioamnionitis, both in preterm and term labor, are sub-clinical in nature...
- The new bronchopulmonary dysplasiaAlan H Jobe
Cincinnati Children s Hospital, Division of Pulmonary Biology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 23:167-72. 2011..Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) remains the most common severe complication of preterm birth. A number of recent animal models and clinical studies provide new information about pathophysiology and treatment...
- A fetal response to chorioamnionitis is associated with early survival after preterm birthMonica M Lahra
RPA Newborn Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, and the University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:147-51. 2004..was to determine, in a large preterm cohort (20-34 completed weeks of gestation), the incidence of histologic chorioamnionitis and the incidence of a histologic fetal response to chorioamnionitis (umbilical vasculitis with or without ..
- Chorioamnionitis as a risk factor for cerebral palsy: A meta-analysisY W Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California, PO Box 0114, San Francisco, CA 94143 0114, USA
JAMA 284:1417-24. 2000b>Chorioamnionitis has been implicated in the pathogenesis of cerebral palsy, but most studies have not reported a significant association...
- Intrauterine infection and prematurityLuis F Goncalves
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD, Hutzel Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 8:3-13. 2002..rupture of membranes is associated with prolongation of pregnancy and a reduction in the rate of clinical chorioamnionitis and neonatal sepsis...
- Diversity of microbes in amniotic fluidDaniel B Digiulio
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5107, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 17:2-11. 2012..The microbial census of the amniotic cavity remains unfinished. A more complete understanding may inform future research directions leading to improved strategies for preventing, diagnosing and treating MIAC...
- Placental lesions as predictors of cerebral palsy and abnormal neurocognitive function at school age in extremely low birth weight infants (<1 kg)Raymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, Case School of Medicine and Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 10:282-92. 2007..Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) was not predictive of outcome in the population as a whole, but a severe fetal vascular response was ..
- Inflammation in pregnancy: its roles in reproductive physiology, obstetrical complications, and fetal injuryRoberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Hutzel Women s Hospital Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Nutr Rev 65:S194-202. 2007..Moreover, reprogramming of the fetal immune response may predispose to diseases in adulthood...
- Amniotic infection syndrome: nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patternsRaymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 6:435-48. 2003..6, substantial. Kappa values for the 12 lesions evaluated in 20 cases by the six pathologists were: acute chorioamnionitis/maternal inflammatory response (any, 0.93; severe 0.76; advanced stage, 0...
- Prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a multicenter trialKristi L Watterberg
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, MSC10 5590, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Pediatrics 114:1649-57. 2004..A pilot study of low-dose hydrocortisone therapy for prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency showed improved survival without BPD at 36 weeks' postmenstrual age, particularly in infants exposed to histologic chorioamnionitis.
- Early gestational intra-amniotic endotoxin: lung function, surfactant, and morphometryTimothy J M Moss
School of Women s and Infants Health and Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:805-11. 2002....
- Impact of histological chorioamnionitis, funisitis and clinical chorioamnionitis on neurodevelopmental outcome of preterm infantsNuria Rovira
Department of Neonatology, Sant Joan de Déu University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Early Hum Dev 87:253-7. 2011The role of chorioamnionitis in neurodevelopment of preterm infants is not fully understood.
- Dose and time response after intraamniotic endotoxin in preterm lambsB W Kramer
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3039, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:982-8. 2001Intraamniotic endotoxin causes chorioamnionitis, which is followed by improved fetal lung function after 4 d in fetal sheep. We evaluated 0.1 mg, 1 mg, 4 mg, and 10 mg endotoxin for inflammation and lung maturation effects after 7 d...
- Neurodevelopmental outcome in preterm histological chorioamnionitisAgnese Suppiej
Child Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Department of Paediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Early Hum Dev 85:187-9. 2009The role of histological chorioamnionitis in neonatal neurological outcome is not yet fully understood...
- Effect of chorioamnionitis on neurodevelopmental outcome in preterm infantsSharadha Polam
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1032-5. 2005To assess the association of neurodevelopmental outcome with the placental diagnosis of chorioamnionitis in very low-birth-weight infants.
- Effect of chorioamnionitis on early childhood asthmaDarios Getahun
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California Medical Group, 100 Los Robles Ave, 2nd Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:187-92. 2010To examine the association between chorioamnionitis and childhood asthma based on gestational age at birth and race/ethnicity.
- Histologic chorioamnionitis and umbilical serum levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and cytokine inhibitorsHenrik Døllner
Institute of Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim
BJOG 109:534-9. 2002..whether leucocyte infiltration in the presence of neonatal disease is associated with additional increase in mediator levels...
- Chorioamnionitis as a risk factor for bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysisLisa Hartling
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 97:F8-F17. 2012To conduct a systematic review of the association between chorioamnionitis (CA) and bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in preterm infants.
- Inflammatory markers in intrauterine and fetal blood and cerebrospinal fluid compartments are associated with adverse pulmonary and neurologic outcomes in preterm infantsRose M Viscardi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Pediatr Res 55:1009-17. 2004..Logistic regressions were performed stratified by GA. Histologic chorioamnionitis was significantly associated with BPD in infants </=28 wk GA (OR 3.6, p = 0.027)...
- Chorioamnionitis--the good or the evil for neonatal outcome?Iliana Bersani
University Children s Hospital, University of Wurzburg, Germany
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:12-6. 2012b>Chorioamnionitis represents a major risk factor for preterm birth and contributes to prematurity-associated morbidity and mortality...
- Pulmonary and systemic endotoxin tolerance in preterm fetal sheep exposed to chorioamnionitisSuhas G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Immunol 179:8491-9. 2007In a model of human chorioamnionitis, fetal sheep exposed to a single injection, but not repeated injections, of intra-amniotic endotoxin develop lung injury responses...
- Placental inflammationRaymond W Redline
Case Western Reserve University and Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44122, USA
Semin Neonatol 9:265-74. 2004..All of these factors combine to produce specific patterns of placental pathology that can be used to guide treatment, predict complications and explain adverse outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis as a risk factor for necrotizing enterocolitis: a systematic review and meta-analysisJasper V Been
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 162:236-42.e2. 2013..To accumulate available evidence regarding the association between antenatal inflammation and necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC)...
- The bacterial load of Ureaplasma parvum in amniotic fluid is correlated with an increased intrauterine inflammatory responseDavid C Kasper
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 67:117-21. 2010..isolated microorganisms inside the amniotic cavity and have been associated with spontaneous abortion, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of the membranes (PROM), and preterm labor (PL)...
- Chorioamnionitis--a complex pathophysiologic syndromeR Menon
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Placenta 31:113-20. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis, inflammation of the amniochorionic membrane (fetal membranes) is a very common disease but a complex syndrome associated with pregnancy...
- Inflammatory responses in the placenta and umbilical cordRaymond W Redline
Case School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 11:296-301. 2006..Histological chorioamnionitis develops through a well-characterised stereotyped progression of maternal and fetal cellular stages that vary ..
- Endotoxin induced chorioamnionitis prevents intestinal development during gestation in fetal sheepTim G A M Wolfs
Department of Surgery, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e5837. 2009b>Chorioamnionitis is the most significant source of prenatal inflammation and preterm delivery...
- Population cohort associating chorioamnionitis, cord inflammatory cytokines and neurologic outcome in very preterm, extremely low birth weight infantsTuula Kaukola
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Pediatr Res 59:478-83. 2006..We investigated the relationship between chorioamnionitis, cord serum cytokines, and neurologic outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis, mechanical ventilation, and postnatal sepsis as modulators of chronic lung disease in preterm infantsLinda J Van Marter
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr 140:171-6. 2002This case-control study of chronic lung disease (CLD) evaluated the hypothesis that chorioamnionitis promotes CLD and interacts with other risk factors for CLD, including mechanical ventilation and postnatal infection.
- Diagnosis of intra-amniotic infection by proteomic profiling and identification of novel biomarkersMichael G Gravett
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, Ore, USA
JAMA 292:462-9. 2004..Intra-amniotic infection (IAI) is commonly associated with preterm birth and adverse neonatal sequelae. Early diagnosis of IAI, however, has been hindered by insensitive or nonspecific tests...
- Chorioamnionitis: a multiorgan disease of the fetus?M Gantert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Klinikum Osnabruck, Osnabruck, Germany
J Perinatol 30:S21-30. 2010The bacterial infection of chorion and amnion is a common finding in premature delivery and is referred to as chorioamnionitis. As the mother rarely shows symptoms of a systemic inflammation, the course of chorioamnionitis is frequently ..
- Prematurity, chorioamnionitis, and the development of recurrent wheezing: a prospective birth cohort studyRajesh Kumar
Division of Allergy, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:878-84.e6. 2008Prematurity (< 37 weeks) has been inconsistently associated with asthma and wheezing. Chorioamnionitis may promote both prematurity and inflammatory pathways in infants' airways.
- Impact of histological chorioamnionitis on tracheal aspirate cytokines in premature infantsZubair H Aghai
Division of Neonatology, Nemours at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Perinatol 29:567-72. 2012Histological chorioamnionitis (CHORIO) may increase inflammatory mediators in the lungs of preterm infants.
- Inflammation-induced immune suppression of the fetus: a potential link between chorioamnionitis and postnatal early onset sepsisTim G A M Wolfs
Maastricht University Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, School of Oncology and Developmental Biology, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:8-11. 2012b>Chorioamnionitis which results from microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity is the most frequent cause of preterm birth...
- Prevalence and diversity of microbes in the amniotic fluid, the fetal inflammatory response, and pregnancy outcome in women with preterm pre-labor rupture of membranesDaniel B Digiulio
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 64:38-57. 2010..The role played by microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity (MIAC) in preterm pre-labor rupture of membranes (pPROM) is inadequately characterized, in part because of reliance on cultivation-based methods...
- Pulsation of the fetal splenic vein--a potential ultrasound marker of histological chorioamnionitis and funisitis in women with preterm prelabor rupture of membranesIvana Musilova
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Hradec Kralove, Charles University in Prague, University Hospital Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 91:1119-23. 2012..The aim of the study was to determine whether the presence of histological chorioamnionitis and funisitis is associated with a continuous or pulsatile flow pattern in the fetal splenic vein...
- Term stillbirth caused by oral Fusobacterium nucleatumYiping W Han
Department of Periodontics, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4905, USA
Obstet Gynecol 115:442-5. 2010..Intrauterine infection is a recognized cause of adverse pregnancy outcome, but the source of infection is often undetermined. We report a case of stillbirth caused by Fusobacterium nucleatum that originated in the mother's mouth...
- Clinical chorioamnionitis is characterized by changes in the expression of the alarmin HMGB1 and one of its receptors, sRAGERoberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:558-67. 2012..The objectives of this study were to determine whether: 1) clinical chorioamnionitis at term is associated with changes in amniotic fluid concentrations of HMGB1, sRAGE and esRAGE; and 2) the ..
- White matter injury following fetal inflammatory response syndrome induced by chorioamnionitis and fetal sepsis: lessons from experimental ovine modelsElke Kuypers
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Early Hum Dev 88:931-6. 2012b>Chorioamnionitis and fetal sepsis can induce a fetal inflammatory response syndrome (FIRS) which is closely related to the development of white matter injury in the fetal brain...
- Impact on neonatal outcome and anthropometric growth in very low birth weight infants with histological chorioamnionitisShu Chi Mu
Department of Pediatrics, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, and College of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 107:304-10. 2008b>Chorioamnionitis (CAM) is one of the main causes of preterm labor...
- The fetal maturational and inflammatory responses to different routes of endotoxin infusion in sheepJohn P Newnham
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Western Australia at King Edward Memorial Hospital, Subiaco, Perth, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:1062-8. 2002In clinical practice, chorioamnionitis has been observed to enhance fetal lung maturation in the short term but may predispose to chronic lung disease thereafter...
- The severity of chorioamnionitis in pregnant sheep is associated with in vivo variation of the surface-exposed multiple-banded antigen/gene of Ureaplasma parvumChristine L Knox
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, and School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Biol Reprod 83:415-26. 2010..005), and ureaplasma titers were inversely related to the number of variants (P = 0.025). The severity of chorioamnionitis varied between animals...
- Histologic chorioamnionitis and preterm deliveryClaudia Holzman
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:786-94. 2007Inconsistent findings linking placental histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) and preterm delivery may result from variations in HCA definition, population studied, and exclusion criteria...
- Chorioamnionitis - new ideas from experimental modelsBoris W Kramer
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Neonatology 99:320-5. 2011..few viruses have been detected in cases of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity which is referred to as chorioamnionitis. Many aspects of this disease remain unclear such as the causes, time of onset and the fetal responses...
- Magnetic resonance imaging demonstrates long-term changes in brain structure in children born preterm and exposed to chorioamnionitisTamera Hatfield
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women and Children s Health and Well Being Project, University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA 92868, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:384.e1-8. 2011We sought to determine if children born preterm and exposed to chorioamnionitis have differences in brain structure measured at 6-10 years of age using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Cytokine production in chorioamnionitisF Saji
Department of Gynecology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
J Reprod Immunol 47:185-96. 2000..b>Chorioamnionitis, a subset of intrauterine infection, has been identified in 20-33% of women with preterm delivery, and the ..
- Preterm labor and chorioamnionitis are associated with neonatal T cell activationAngel A Luciano
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16698. 2011..This well established association leads us to hypothesize that preterm delivery is also associated with neonatal T lymphocyte activation and maturation...
- A signature of maternal anti-fetal rejection in spontaneous preterm birth: chronic chorioamnionitis, anti-human leukocyte antigen antibodies, and C4dJoonho Lee
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 6:e16806. 2011Chronic chorioamnionitis is found in more than one-third of spontaneous preterm births. Chronic chorioamnionitis and villitis of unknown etiology represent maternal anti-fetal cellular rejection...
- Chorioamnionitis and chronic lung disease of prematurity: a path analysis of causalityNada Sindicić Dessardo
Institute of Neonatology, University Hospital of Rijeka, Croatia
Am J Perinatol 29:133-40. 2012..was to test a new statistical framework incorporating path analysis to evaluate causality between exposure to chorioamnionitis and fetal inflammatory response syndrome and the development of chronic lung disease of prematurity...
- Variability in cerebral oxygen delivery is reduced in premature neonates exposed to chorioamnionitisToby D Yanowitz
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pitttsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15217, USA
Pediatr Res 59:299-304. 2006Premature infants exposed to chorioamnionitis are at increased risk for periventricular leukomalacia (PVL) and intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH), lesions that may result from inflammation and/or fluctuations in cerebral blood flow...
- Hemodynamic disturbances in premature infants born after chorioamnionitis: association with cord blood cytokine concentrationsToby Debra Yanowitz
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pediatr Res 51:310-6. 2002b>Chorioamnionitis and elevated cord blood inflammatory cytokine concentrations are associated with detectable disturbances of systemic and cerebral hemodynamics in premature newborns. Fifty-five infants (25-31 wk gestation) were enrolled...
- Placental inflammation and fetal hemodynamics in a rat model of chorioamnionitisAdegboyega A Abdulkadir
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Pediatr Res 68:513-8. 2010..fetal cardiovascular function and cerebral blood flow velocity (BFV) would be decreased in a rat model of chorioamnionitis. We also tested whether placental inflammation was related to proximity to the cervix in our model of ..
- Fetal-placental inflammation, but not adrenal activation, is associated with extreme preterm deliverySunita Trivedi
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 206:236.e1-8. 2012..Our objective was to determine whether placental corticotropin-releasing hormone is activated in extreme preterm labor...
- Use of C-reactive protein as a predictor of chorioamnionitis in preterm prelabour rupture of membranes: a systematic reviewR D Trochez-Martinez
Women and Children Division, Gynaecology and Obstetrics Directorate, Torbay Hospital, Devon, UK
BJOG 114:796-801. 2007Studies examining the use of C-reactive protein (CRP) as a predictor of chorioamnionitis in preterm prelabour rupture of membranes (PPROM) report highly conflicting results...
- Chorioamnionitis/funisitis and the development of bronchopulmonary dysplasiaA Kent
Department of Neonatology, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, New Sout Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 40:356-9. 2004To examine the association between chorioamnionitis with or without funisitis and bronchopulmonary dysplasia in infants less than 30 completed weeks gestation given the current standards of antenatal steroid and surfactant use.
- Intraamniotic infection with genital mycoplasmas exhibits a more intense inflammatory response than intraamniotic infection with other microorganisms in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranesKyung Joon Oh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:211.e1-8. 2010..The objective of the study was to compare the intensity of inflammatory responses between intraamniotic infection with genital mycoplasmas and intraamniotic infection with other microorganisms...
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy: a meta-analysisJobe G Shatrov
School of Medicine, Sydney, The University of Notre Dame Australia and Cerebral Palsy Institute, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
Obstet Gynecol 116:387-92. 2010To examine the relationships between clinical or histological chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy using a meta-analysis approach.
- The cerebral critical oxygen threshold of ventilated preterm lambs and the influence of antenatal inflammationC C Andersen
Perinatal Medicine, Women s and Children s Hospital, 72 King William Rd, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 111:775-81. 2011..Regardless of exposure to inflammation, there is a consistent postnatal relationship between cerebral oxygen delivery and consumption...
- Intra-amniotic LPS and antenatal betamethasone: inflammation and maturation in preterm lamb lungsElke Kuypers
Department of Pediatrics, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, Maastricht University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L380-9. 2012The proinflammatory stimulus of chorioamnionitis is commonly associated with preterm delivery. Women at risk of preterm delivery receive antenatal glucocorticoids to functionally mature the fetal lung...
- Betamethasone effects on chorioamnionitis induced by intra-amniotic endotoxin in sheepJohn P Newnham
School of Women s and Infants Health, University of Western Australia, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bagot Road, Subiaco, Perth, WA 6008, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1458-66. 2003Intra-amniotic administration of endotoxin in sheep is a model of subclinical chorioamnionitis. Intrauterine inflammation alters lung development to improve postnatal lung function and may predispose the infant to lung and brain injury...
- Changes in placental CRH, urocortins, and CRH-receptor mRNA expression associated with preterm delivery and chorioamnionitisMichela Torricelli
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics, and Reproductive Medicine, University of Siena, 53100, Siena, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:534-40. 2011..The pathogenesis of preterm delivery (PTD) is not clear, although inflammation/infection play a major role. Corticotropin releasing-hormone (CRH) and Urocortins (Ucns) are involved in the pathophysiology of PTD...
- Maternal versus fetal inflammation and respiratory distress syndrome: a 10-year hospital cohort studyM M Lahra
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F13-6. 2009To determine the impact of maternal and fetal intrauterine inflammatory responses (chorioamnionitis and umbilical vasculitis) on the development of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in preterm infants.
- Histologic chorioamnionitis and severity of illness in very low birth weight newbornsClaudio De Felice
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale M Bracci 16, I 53100 Siena, Italy
Pediatr Crit Care Med 6:298-302. 2005..Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) is a known cause of neonatal morbidity and mortality...
- Prostaglandins mediate the fetal pulmonary response to intrauterine inflammationAlana J Westover
The Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L664-78. 2012..Nimesulide decreased surfactant protein (SP)-A (P = 0.05), -B (P = 0.05), and -D (P = 0.0015) but increased SP-C mRNA (P = 0.023). Thus PGHS-2 mediates, at least in part, fetal pulmonary responses to inflammation...
- Modulation of fetal inflammatory response on exposure to lipopolysaccharide by chorioamnion, lung, or gut in sheepBoris W Kramer
University Medical Center Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:77.e1-9. 2010..We hypothesized that fetal lipopolysaccharide exposures to the chorioamnion, lung, or gut would induce distinct systemic inflammatory responses...
- Lipopolysaccharide increases alveolar type II cell number in fetal mouse lungs through Toll-like receptor 4 and NF-kappaBLawrence S Prince
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L999-1006. 2004b>Chorioamnionitis is a major cause of preterm delivery. Infants exposed to inflammation in utero and then born preterm may have improved lung function in the immediate postnatal period...
- Histological inflammatory responses in the placenta and early neonatal brain injuryVincenzo Zanardo
Department of Pediatrics, Padua University School of Medicine, Padua, Italy
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:350-4. 2008..Placental histology for histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) was graded and scored according to Redline and others...
- Non-invasive prediction of intra-amniotic inflammation in women with preterm laborH J Jung
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnamsi, Korea
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 37:82-7. 2011..To develop a model based on non-invasive variables to predict the probability of intra-amniotic inflammation in women with preterm labor and intact membranes...
- The risk of intra-amniotic infection, inflammation and histologic chorioamnionitis in term pregnant women with intact membranes and laborSeung Mi Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Republic of Korea
Placenta 32:516-21. 2011..an increased risk of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity, intra-amniotic inflammation and histologic chorioamnionitis. This study was performed to determine when the risk of intra-amniotic infection, inflammation and histologic ..
- Postnatal increase of procalcitonin in premature newborns is enhanced by chorioamnionitis and neonatal sepsisJ Janota
Institute for the Care of Mother and Child, Podolske nabrezi 157, 147 00 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Eur J Clin Invest 31:978-83. 2001To determine the influence of chorioamnionitis and neonatal sepsis on procalcitonin (PCT) levels in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) infants within the first week of life.
- The role of inflammation in the development of chronic lung disease in neonatesJ J De Dooy
Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital of Antwerp, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 160:457-63. 2001Chronic lung disease (CLD) has been associated with chorioamnionitis and upper respiratory tract colonisation with Ureaplasma urealyticum...
- Regulation of interleukin-6 expression in human decidual cells and its potential role in chorioamnionitisCharles J Lockwood
Department of Obstetrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
Am J Pathol 177:1755-64. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis frequently precedes both genital tract and placental inflammation and is both a primary cause of maternal morbidity and a major antecedent of preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM) as well as preterm delivery (..
- Damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) in preterm labor with intact membranes and preterm PROM: a study of the alarmin HMGB1Roberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Wayne State University Hutzel Women s Hospital, 3990 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1444-55. 2011..intra-amniotic infection/inflammation (IAI) is associated with changes in amniotic fluid concentrations of HMGB1; and (2) localize immunoreactivity of HMGB1 in the fetal membranes and umbilical cord of patients with chorioamnionitis.
- Effects of intrauterine infection or inflammation on fetal lung developmentAlana J Westover
The Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 39:824-30. 2012..Elucidation of the effects of inflammation on the fetal lungs and other organs will allow more refined approaches to the care of preterm infants exposed to inflammation in utero...
- Chorioamnionitis and the prognosis for term infantsJ M Alexander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 94:274-8. 1999To assess the effects of clinical chorioamnionitis and labor complications on short-term neonatal morbidity, including seizures.
- C-reactive protein in umbilical cord blood: a simple and widely available clinical method to assess the risk of amniotic fluid infection and funisitisB H Yoon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Laboratory of Fetal Medicine Research, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 14:85-90. 2003....
- Chorioamnionitis induced by intraamniotic lipopolysaccharide resulted in an interval-dependent increase in central nervous system injury in the fetal sheepA W Danilo Gavilanes
Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University Hospital Maastricht, in collaboration with the Research Institute of Growth and Development GROW, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:437.e1-8. 2009We quantified the impact of chorioamnionitis on both the white and gray matter structures of the preterm ovine central nervous system (CNS).
- Chorioamnionitis, respiratory distress syndrome and bronchopulmonary dysplasia in extremely low birth weight infantsHyun Ju Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Perinatol 31:166-70. 2011To determine if histologic chorioamnionitis (HC) in the presence of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) augments adverse pulmonary outcomes in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) infants.
- The involvement of human amnion in histologic chorioamnionitis is an indicator that a fetal and an intra-amniotic inflammatory response is more likely and severe: clinical implicationsChan Wook Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Placenta 30:56-61. 2009....
- Diagnosis and management of clinical chorioamnionitisAlan T N Tita
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 19th South, Birmingham, AL 3524, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:339-54. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis is a common complication of pregnancy associated with significant maternal, perinatal, and long-term adverse outcomes...
- Clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranesSoon Sup Shim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Laboratory of Fetal Medicine Research, College of Medicine, Seoul National University Seoul 110 744, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1339-45. 2004..This study was conducted to determine the frequency and clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm premature rupture of the membranes...
- Pulmonary vascular and alveolar development in preterm lambs chronically colonized with Ureaplasma parvumGraeme R Polglase
The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L232-41. 2010Ureaplasma species, the most commonly isolated microorganisms in women with chorioamnionitis, are associated with preterm delivery...
- Histologic chorioamnionitis is associated with reduced risk of late-onset sepsis in preterm infantsTobias Strunk
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Subiaco, Australia
Pediatrics 129:e134-41. 2012Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) is implicated in the onset of preterm labor and delivery. Chorioamnionitis is a known risk factor for early-onset sepsis and may modulate postnatal immunity...
- Prenatal inflammation and lung developmentBoris W Kramer
Department of kindergeneeskunde, Academisch Ziekenhuis Maastricht, Postbus 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:2-7. 2009Prenatal exposure of very low birth weight infants to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis with organisms such as mycoplasma and ureaplasma is frequent...
- Monocyte chemotactic protein-1 is increased in the amniotic fluid of women who deliver preterm in the presence or absence of intra-amniotic infectionM Sean Esplin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 17:365-73. 2005..This study was conducted to determine if preterm labor leading to preterm delivery and intra-amniotic infection (IAI) are associated with changes in the amniotic fluid concentrations of MCP-1...
- Characterization of chorioamnionitis in 2nd-trimester C-section placentas and correlation with microorganism recovery from subamniotic tissuesJonathan L Hecht
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:15-22. 2008..Recovery of microorganisms from placental parenchyma is associated with histologic inflammation. The same microorganisms responsible for inciting high-grade chorionic plate inflammation are also most likely to promote fetal inflammation...
- Planned early birth versus expectant management for women with preterm prelabour rupture of membranes prior to 37 weeks' gestation for improving pregnancy outcomeSarah L Buchanan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia, 2065
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004735. 2010..32, 95% CI 1.33 to 4.07), but that early delivery had no effect on chorioamnionitis (RR 0.44, 95% CI 0.17 to 1.14)...
- Widespread microbial invasion of the chorioamniotic membranes is a consequence and not a cause of intra-amniotic infectionMi Jeong Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lab Invest 89:924-36. 2009Acute chorioamnionitis is a response to amniotic fluid (AF) infection...
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy in term and near-term infantsYvonne W Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
JAMA 290:2677-84. 2003Half of all cases of cerebral palsy (CP) occur in term infants, for whom risk factors have not been clearly defined. Recent studies suggest a possible role of chorioamnionitis.
- Inflammation and bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080, Wurzburg, Germany
Semin Neonatol 8:29-38. 2003....
- Clinical chorioamnionitis, elevated cytokines, and brain injury in term infantsLina F Shalak
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Pediatrics 110:673-80. 2002To determine the initial inflammatory cytokine response in term infants born to mothers with clinical chorioamnionitis and to assess whether the cytokine response is associated with birth depression, abnormal neurologic examination, and ..
- Chorioamnionitis, postnatal factors and proinflammatory response in the pathogenetic sequence of bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Neonatology 95:353-61. 2009..Pre- and postnatal factors such as chorioamnionitis, oxygen toxicity, mechanical ventilation and postnatal infections can induce and perpetuate an injurious and ..
- Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 in the chorioamniotic membranes in spontaneous labor at term and in preterm parturition that are associated with chorioamnionitisYeon Mee Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1346-55. 2004..This study examined Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 expression in fetal membranes in response to labor at term and histologic chorioamnionitis.
- The role of proteomics in the diagnosis of chorioamnionitis and early-onset neonatal sepsisIrina A Buhimschi
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, LLCI 804, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:355-74. 2010..Discovery of clinically and biologically relevant biomarkers able to reveal key pathogenic pathways and predict pregnancies at risk for antenatal fetal damage is a priority. Proteomics provides a unique opportunity to fill this gap...
- The value of cord blood interleukin-6 levels for predicting chorioamnionitis, funisitis and neonatal infection in term premature rupture of membranesYasemin Tasci
Department of Obstetrics, Ministry of Health Ankara, Etlik Maternity and Women s Health Research Training Hospital, Guvenlik Cad, 21 5, 06190 Kavaklidere, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 128:34-9. 2006The objective was to determine whether the interleukin-6 (IL-6) level in umbilical cord blood can be used for the prediction of histologic chorioamnionitis, funisitis, fetal membrane cultures and neonatal infection.
- Chorioamnionitis alters the response to surfactant in preterm infantsJasper V Been
Department of Paediatrics, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology GROW, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 156:10-15.e1. 2010To study the association between antenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis and the neonatal response to surfactant.
- Clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm labor and intact membranesB H Yoon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 185:1130-6. 2001..Adverse outcomes included clinical and histologic chorioamnionitis, funisitis, early preterm birth, and significant neonatal morbidity...
- Endotoxin-induced maturation of monocytes in preterm fetal sheep lungBoris W Kramer
University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L345-53. 2007The fetal lung normally contains immature monocytes and very few mature macrophages. The chorioamnionitis frequently associated with preterm birth induces monocyte influx into the fetal lung...
- Intra-amniotic endotoxin: chorioamnionitis precedes lung maturation in preterm lambsS G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L527-36. 2001....
- IL-1 mediates pulmonary and systemic inflammatory responses to chorioamnionitis induced by lipopolysaccharideSuhas G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:955-61. 2009b>Chorioamnionitis frequently associates with preterm delivery and increased amniotic fluid IL-1, and causes fetal lung and systemic inflammation...
- CHLORHEXIDINE IRRIGATION TO PREVENT INFECTIONDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2001Clinically overt infection of the placenta, fetal membranes, or uterus during labor (chorioamnionitis) complicates from 1% to 11% of pregnancies...
- Postnatal Consequences of Fetal InflammationAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The majority of very low birth weight preterm infants are exposed to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis (inflammation) that can alter lung development and result in bronchopulmonary dysplasia...
- Safety of N-acetylcysteine in Maternal ChorioamnionitisDorothea Jenkins; Fiscal Year: 2009..N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a promising therapy that has shown effective neuroprotection in the animal model of chorioamnionitis, and has a favorable safety profile with known side effects, which appear to be limited and manageable...
- EEG Synchrony, perinatal risk and outcome: analysis of CHIME dataPHILIP GEORGE GRIEVE; Fiscal Year: 2010..mode of delivery;2) intra-partum factors such as presence and duration of labor and rupture of membranes, chorioamnionitis, antenatal corticosteroids, and mode of delivery;and 3) postnatal factors such as intraventricular hemorrhage,..
- Flame Retardant and Adverse Perinatal Outcome (FRAPO)Morgan R Peltier; Fiscal Year: 2013..concentrations of PBDE-47 throughout their pregnancy, especially when evidence of infection (histological chorioamnionitis) is present...
- Development of a Univalent Vaccine Against Group B Streptococci InfectionStephen K Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2010..In pregnancy, GBS can cause urinary tract infections, chorioamnionitis, postpartum wound infection, pyelonephritis, sepsis, and rarely meningitis...
- A new smart neonatal incubator for real-time detection of sepsisDe Ann M Pillers; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Problem: More than 90% of infants undergo unnecessary treatment during sepsis evaluations in cases of chorioamnionitis due to a lack of an early and specific marker for infection...
- Elective Induction of Labor and Pregnancy OutcomesDarios Getahun; Fiscal Year: 2013..at 38, 39 or 40 weeks'gestation versus expectant management: cesarean delivery, postpartum hemorrhage, chorioamnionitis, neonatal intensive care unit stay, shoulder dystocia, low Apgar score, stillbirth, and neonatal death;and ..
- FGF-10 Expression in a Fetal Mouse Lung Model of Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaLawrence S Prince; Fiscal Year: 2012..Prenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the maternal membranes, placenta, and uterus) increases the risk of bronchopulmonary ..
- Late Preterm Birth, Ureaplasma Species and Childhood Lung DiseaseSuhas Kallapur; Fiscal Year: 2012..Fetal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation/infection) can adversely affect lung development and modulate fetal immune function...
- Vitamin D and the prevalence, incidence, and persistence of bacterial vaginosisAbigail Norris Turner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Pregnant women with BV have increased risks of spontaneous abortion, preterm labor, preterm birth, chorioamnionitis and other detrimental obstetric and gynecologic outcomes...
- Mechanisms of Fetal Inflammatory Response Syndrome Induced by ChorioamnionitisSuhas Kallapur; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Chorioamnionitis or inflammation in the fetal membranes is present in about 70% of the preterm infants born before 30 weeks gestation and is a major contributor to the morbidity and mortality in this population...
- Intrauterine inflammation affects offspring cognitive functionTeresa M Reyes; Fiscal Year: 2013..contrast to the systemic models, an in utero or local model more aptly mirrors intrauterine infection and/or chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the fetal membranes)...
- Impact of Pregnancy Disease on the Regulation of Placenta Drug TransportClifford W Mason; Fiscal Year: 2013..1 (MDR1) and breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP), in the placenta of women with infection and associated chorioamnionitis. MDR1 and BCRP induction at the placental barrier could result in altered fetal drug exposure due to their ..
- A Multi'omics Approach towards Deciphering the Influence of the Microbiome on PreKJERSTI MARIE AAGAARD-TILLERY; Fiscal Year: 2013..into the otherwise sterile intrauterine environment to infect the placenta (preterm birth), fetal membranes (chorioamnionitis), umbilical cord (funisitis), and the fetus (sepsis)...
- Role of Prenatal Factors and Gene-Environment Interactions in Recurrent WheezingRajesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2012..to the project's specific aims as follows: Aim 1: We will evaluate the association of prematurity and chorioamnionitis with the subsequent development of early life wheezing in the Boston Birth Cohort...
- EEG synchrony of preterm infants: Regional disparities and perinatal risksPhilip Grieve; Fiscal Year: 2009..HUS), chronic lung disease (CLD), weight and age at birth, intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR), sepsis, chorioamnionitis, necrotizing enterocolitis, use of postnatal steroids, and sex...
- ROLE OF UREAPLASMA INTRA-AMNIOTIC INFECTION IN IUGRGail Cassell; Fiscal Year: 1991Ureaplasma urealyticum has been the agent most commonly linked with chorioamnionitis and low birth weight infants. Its association with chorioamnionitis is undeniable; the role of U...
- CHORIOAMNIONITIS--CYTOKINES ALTER PERINATAL HEMODYNAMICSTOBY YANOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..test the hypothesis that the predisposition to perinatal brain injury in preterm infants born to mothers with chorioamnionitis results from cytokine-mediated alterations of systemic and cerebral hemodynamics. Dr...
- Immune System Gene Polymorphisms and Preterm DeliveryClaudia Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2009..g.cytokines, bacterial vaginosis), underlying pathologic processes (e.g. chorioamnionitis, placental infarcts, incomplete conversion of spiral arteries), and upstream factors(e.g...
- Mechanisms for Racial Disparity in Preterm BirthJane Hitti; Fiscal Year: 2006..role of increased antigenic stimulation from lower genital tract infection as a determinant of endometritis, chorioamnionitis and preterm birth among African American and white women. 2...
- MECHANISM UNDERLYING PREMATURE RUPTURE OF FETAL MEMBRANEMARK PLESSINGER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Unit) and with patient characteristics of smoking during pregnancy, mid trimester placental bleeding, and chorioamnionitis. These characteristics suggest that reactive oxygen species (ROS) play an important contribution to PROM, and ..
- HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNIT, RAKAI, UGANDAMaria Wawer; Fiscal Year: 2000..The randomized trials addresses addressed STD control for HIV prevention and the treatment of chorioamnionitis to prevent mother-to-child (MTC) transmission)...
- Consequences of redox imbalance in preterm parturitionIrina Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2003Both intrauterine (e.g. chorioamnionitis) and various matemal systemic infections are proposed causes of preterm labor triggered by a protective inflammatory response (based on the finding of elevated cytokines) that becomes maladaptive ..
- Race/Ethnicity/Immunity/Progesterone and Preterm BirthCarl Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2009..as a mechanism of upper tract inflammation, fetal inflammatory response syndrome, decidual hemorrhage, chorioamnionitis or combinations thereof. Yet, antibiotic therapy has failed to reduce the PTB rate...
- DEVELOPMENTAL MECHANISMS OF FETAL/NEONATAL CYTOPENIASRobert Christensen; Fiscal Year: 1999..studies involve: 1) quantification of G-CSF concentrations in the serum of pregnant women who have clinical chorioamnionitis, and in the umbilical cord serum of their infants, and 2) quantification of the effect of administering ..
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD IN PERINATAL HIV PREVENTIONJeffrey Stringer; Fiscal Year: 2001..Robert Goldenberg, he will undertake an investigation of the relationships among subclinical chorioamnionitis, spontaneous preterm birth, and vertical HIV transmission, with special emphasis on the predictive value of a ..
- STUDIES OF PLACENTAS FROM HIV POSITIVE WOMENCarlos Abramowsky; Fiscal Year: 1992..Acute inflammation of placental membranes (chorioamnionitis) is associated with bacterial infections, whereas chronic placental villous inflammation (villitis) is ..
- Mechanisms of Vascular Injury in the preterm lungSuhas Kallapur; Fiscal Year: 2006..The experimental design in this proposal incorporates challenging but, particularly in this environment achievable goals that will provide important knowledge in the pathogenesis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. ..
- Prophylaxis of adrenal insufficiency to prevent CLDKristi Watterberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..If this study confirms the benefits seen in the pilot study, it will result in a significant improvement in health care for premature infants, both by introducing a beneficial new therapy, and by avoiding higher dose dexamethasone. ..
- Mechanisms of myometrial healing and regenerationCatalin Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- NEONATAL TRAINING GRANTAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2005..The goal for this training grant is to support only research training for Neonatologists who have the potential and motivation to become successful research oriented academic neonatologists. ..
- LUNG PHOSPHOLIPID APPEARANCE AND STABILITYAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Neonatal Resuscitation and Preterm Lung InjuryAlan H Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2010..The majority of infants with birth weights <1 kg have been exposed to chorioamnionitis, which causes lung inflammation and alters innate inflammatory responses...
- NEW MEDIATORS OF CLINICAL LUNG MATURATIONAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..in very low birth weight preterm infants and early lung maturation is associated clinically with the chronic chorioamnionitis that seems to cause preterm delivery...
- Nutrition and the Genetics of PrematurityHyagriv N Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we aim to identify how race modifies the interaction between inflammatory gene polymorphisms and nutrition on lower genital tract immunity and the risk of preterm birth. ..
- Sonoporation as a new genetic tool for F. nucleatumYiping Han; Fiscal Year: 2008..nucleatum will be investigated. Our long term goal is to develop sonoporation into a robust tool for genetic manipulation of microorganisms [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- F.nucleatum in Amniotic Fluid InfectionYiping Han; Fiscal Year: 2004..nucleatum for diagnostic purposes, and intervention studies aimed at reducing the incidence of preterm birth. ..
- Etiologic Heterogeneity in Preterm DeliveryClaudia Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2005..This comprehensive study aims to unify both approaches into a coherent causal framework based on a foundation of specific placental findings that we hypothesize underlie several routes to PTD. ..
- Role of Cytokines and Promoter Genotype in PrematurityHyagriv Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF SURFACTANT PROTEIN D IN SURFACTANT HOMEOSTASISMachiko Ikegami; Fiscal Year: 2006..The intended studies will provide fundamental insights into the role of SP-D in the protection of the lung, as well as into the basic mechanisms determining surfactant homeostasis. ..
- MIDCAREER AWARD IN PATIENT ORIENTED OBSTETRIC RESEARCHDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, the effectiveness of an intervention (how it would perform under conditions of actual clinical practice) is an attribute that, in many situations, is as important as its efficacy (how it performs under ideal conditions). ..
- HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNIT - MALAWITaha Taha; Fiscal Year: 2006..HIV and STDS, and the efficacy of a perinatal intervention trial combining nevirapine and antibiotic treatment of chorioamnionitis are in progress. We intend to continue these studies and to expand to additional sites.
- MATERNAL ALCOHOL IMPAIRS FETAL ALVEOLAR MACROPHAGETHERESA GAUTHIER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Understanding the modulatory role of GSH availability in AM function will broaden our understanding of GSH supplements not only as a possible therapy for infants exposed to ETOH in utero but premature infants in general. ..
- OXIDATIVE DAMAGE AND PREMATURE RUPTURE OF THE MEMBRANESJames Woods; Fiscal Year: 2004..It also would lay the foundation for a prospective study of antioxidant therapy to prevent PPROM. ..
- Intrauterine Inflammation & Adverse Neurological OutcomeMichal A Elovitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of CD4 on Natural Killer CellsHELENE BERNSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- EXPERIMENTAL MODEL FOR CHORIOAMNIONITIS AND PREMATURITYMichael Gravett; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will clarify the pathophysiology of infection-associated preterm labor and will suggest effective interventional strategies. ..
- Tobacco Industry Tactics Aimed at Native AmericansLaura Beebe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this research will assist tribal, community and state agencies in their efforts to develop culturally appropriate counter-marketing strategies and tobacco abuse prevention and control interventions. ..
- Prenatal Risk Factors for Neuropsychiatric DiseaseCarolyn Salafia; Fiscal Year: 2007..My training objectives are directly related to my proposed research, which focuses on the evaluation of the intrauterine environment and how predispositions to ND/NP compromise arise in utero. ..
- Bilirubin-induced Auditory Neuropathy in PretermsSANJIV AMIN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Tulane/LSU HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials Networks UnitRussell Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT: [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- WOMEN'S REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENTLARRY GILSTRAP; Fiscal Year: 2003..The WRHR scholar shall interact intimately with the NIH Training Program in Mammalian Reproduction and a well established Texas Women's Reproductive Health Consortium (TWRHC) already in place at UT-HHSC. ..
- Role of CDR3 in the Development of Neonatal ImmunityRobert Schelonka; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PPAR gamma Signaling and Lung Fibroblast TransdifferentiationVirender Rehan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ALCOHOL'S EFFECTS ON THE DEVELOPING ALVEOLAR MACROPHAGETHERESA GAUTHIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MMP-2 in Neonatal Hypoxic Pulmonary Vascular RemodelingNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Molecular Pathogenesis of Health Disparities in Inf*Emmet Hirsch; Fiscal Year: 2005..The large databases generated in this study will be valuable to any researcher interested in parturition and will be made accessible on the Internet. ..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS, ANTIOXIDANT STATUS & PREGNANCY OUTCOMETheresa Scholl; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Safe Pregnancy by Infectious Disease Control in KinshasaCarl Bose; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will also build upon, and augment, a burgeoning, multidisciplinary research and training program at the Kinshasa School of Public Health. ..
- Role of Lysozyme in Airways Host DefenseHenry Akinbi; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide new insight into the role of lysozyme in innate host defense of the lungs and the mechanisms by which lysozyme enhances bacterial killing and modulates the inflammatory response to infection. ..
- C-Reactive Protein in Extremely Low Birth Weight NeonatesNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..