Genomes and Genes
Summary: The therapeutic intermittent administration of oxygen in a chamber at greater than sea-level atmospheric pressures (three atmospheres). It is considered effective treatment for air and gas embolisms, smoke inhalation, acute carbon monoxide poisoning, caisson disease, clostridial gangrene, etc. (From Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications337 found, 100 shown here
- Hyperbaric oxygen: its uses, mechanisms of action and outcomesA L Gill
University of Bristol, and Division of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Bristol Dental Hospital, Bristol, UK
QJM 97:385-95. 2004
- Hyperbaric oxygen stimulates vasculogenic stem cell growth and differentiation in vivoTatyana N Milovanova
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6068, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:711-28. 2009..Thioredoxin system activation leads to elevations in HIF-1 and -2, followed by synthesis of HIF-dependent growth factors. HIF-3 has a negative impact on SPCs...
- Autophagy activation is involved in neuroprotection induced by hyperbaric oxygen preconditioning against focal cerebral ischemia in ratsWenjun Yan
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, China
Brain Res 1402:109-21. 2011....
- Stem cell mobilization by hyperbaric oxygenStephen R Thom
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6068, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H1378-86. 2006..We conclude that HBO(2) mobilizes stem/progenitor cells by stimulating *NO synthesis...
- Hyperoxia retards growth and induces apoptosis, changes in vascular density and gene expression in transplanted gliomas in nude ratsLinda Elin Birkhaug Stuhr
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, Bergen, 5009, Norway
J Neurooncol 85:191-202. 2007..This process is characterized by enhanced cell death, reduced vascular density and changes in gene expression corresponding to these effects...
- A prospective, randomized clinical trial to compare the effect of hyperbaric to normobaric hyperoxia on cerebral metabolism, intracranial pressure, and oxygen toxicity in severe traumatic brain injurySarah B Rockswold
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
J Neurosurg 112:1080-94. 2010..Hyperoxia can be delivered to the brain under normobaric as well as hyperbaric conditions. In this study the authors directly compare hyperbaric oxygen (HBO2) and normobaric hyperoxia (NBH) treatment effects...
- Hyperbaric oxygen for acute carbon monoxide poisoningLindell K Weaver
Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1057-67. 2002..Patients with acute carbon monoxide poisoning commonly have cognitive sequelae. We conducted a double-blind, randomized trial to evaluate the effect of hyperbaric-oxygen treatment on such cognitive sequelae...
- A phase I study of low-pressure hyperbaric oxygen therapy for blast-induced post-concussion syndrome and post-traumatic stress disorderPaul G Harch
Department of Medicine, Section of Emergency and Hyperbaric Medicine, School of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Neurotrauma 29:168-85. 2012..Significant improvements occurred in symptoms, abnormal physical exam findings, cognitive testing, and quality-of-life measurements, with concomitant significant improvements in SPECT...
- Endothelial progenitor cell release into circulation is triggered by hyperoxia-induced increases in bone marrow nitric oxideLee J Goldstein
Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 4th Floor Silverstein Pavilion, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19124, USA
Stem Cells 24:2309-18. 2006..These data show that EPC mobilization into circulation is triggered by hyperoxia through induction of bone marrow NO with resulting enhancement in ischemic limb perfusion and wound healing...
- Oxidative stress in humans during and after 4 hours of hypoxia at a simulated altitude of 5500 mJose Magalhaes
Faculty of Sport Sciences, Department of Sport Biology, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Aviat Space Environ Med 75:16-22. 2004..Our goals were to analyze the effect of of hypobaric hypoxia and reoxygenation on plasma oxidative stress and oxidative damage...
- Oxygen in wound healing--more than a nutrientAndrea A Tandara
Wound Healing Research Laboratory, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Tarry Bldg 4 720, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
World J Surg 28:294-300. 2004..The article concludes with a discussion of why hypoxia and hyperoxia intercurrently play an important role in wound healing. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 is crucial in that interplay...
- Continuous measurements of cerebral tissue oxygen pressure during hyperbaric oxygenation--HBO effects on brain edema and necrosis after severe brain trauma in rabbitsA Niklas
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 22a, Leipzig, 04103 Germany
J Neurol Sci 219:77-82. 2004..Severe brain injury is one of the most frequent causes of severe disability in the young. In acute management of brain trauma, new approaches based on experimental animal investigations should be sought...
- The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on symptoms after mild traumatic brain injuryGeorge Wolf
USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Hyperbaric Medicine Department, Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas, USA
J Neurotrauma 29:2606-12. 2012..One PCL-M measure improved from pre- to post-testing in both groups. This study showed that HBO₂ at 2.4 ATA pressure had no effect on post-concussive symptoms after mild TBI...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy and cancer--a reviewIngrid Moen
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, 5009 Bergen, Norway
Target Oncol 7:233-42. 2012....
- Hyperoxia increases the uptake of 5-fluorouracil in mammary tumors independently of changes in interstitial fluid pressure and tumor stromaIngrid Moen
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
BMC Cancer 9:446. 2009..The aim of this study was to elucidate whether hyperoxia also enhances any actual uptake of 5FU (5-fluorouracil) into the tumor tissue and if this can be explained by changes in the interstitium and extracellular matrix...
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 and adaptive protection against the induction of DNA damage after hyperbaric oxygen treatmentG Speit
Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Abteilung Humangenetik D 89070 Ulm and Universität Mainz, Abteilung für Angewandte Toxikologie, D 55131 Mainz, Germany
Carcinogenesis 21:1795-9. 2000..Our results suggest that increased sequestration of iron as a consequence of induced HO-1 might be involved in the adaptive protection after HBO treatment and that the induction of DNA damage is not the trigger for adaptive protection...
- Oxygenation inhibits ovarian tumor growth by downregulating STAT3 and cyclin-D1 expressionsKaruppaiyah Selvendiran
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 10:386-90. 2010..Hyperoxia appears to inhibit STAT3 activation, which is a key step in the ovarian tumor progression. The study may have important implications for the treatment of ovarian cancer in the clinic...
- Hyperbaric oxygenation ameliorates indomethacin-induced enteropathy in rats by modulating TNF-alpha and IL-1beta productionZ Yang
Research Laboratory, Department of Anesthesiology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:1426-33. 2006The effect of hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO2) was investigated in a rat model of indomethacin-induced enteropathy. Enteropathy was induced by two subcutaneous injections of indomethacin (7.5 mg/kg) 24 hr apart...
- Effects of hyperbaric oxygen on energy production and xanthine oxidase levels in striated muscle tissue of healthy ratsBulent Kurt
Department of Pathology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Medical School, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 15:445-50. 2008..Thus, HBO might have some beneficial effects in the treatment of heteroplasmic mitochondrial disease, where normal and defective mitochondria coexist...
- Correlation between hyperbaric oxygen exposure pressures and oxidative parameters in rat lung, brain, and erythrocytesSukru Oter
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Physiology, GATA Fizyoloji Anabilim Dali, 06018 Etlik Ankara, Turkey
Clin Biochem 38:706-11. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of various HBO pressure modalities on the oxidative values of rat lung, brain, and erythrocytes...
- The effects of hyperbaric oxygen treatment on oxidant and antioxidants levels during liver regeneration in ratsTülin Ayşe Ozden
Institute of Child Health, Trace Element Unit, Istanbul University, Capa, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 203:253-65. 2004..These results indicate that HBO treatment has beneficial effects on liver regeneration by decreasing MDA and by increasing antioxidant activities. We therefore suggest that HBO therapy may be useful after liver resection...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in patients undergoing prolonged exposure to hyperbaric oxygenSerena Benedetti
Institute of Biological Chemistry G Fornaini, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, 2 61029 Urbino PU, Italy
Clin Biochem 37:312-7. 2004..To evaluate the condition of oxidative stress in patients undergoing prolonged exposure to hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) and the possible modifications of the antioxidant defense systems in the absence of antioxidant supplementation...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy facilitates healing of chronic foot ulcers in patients with diabetesMagnus Löndahl
Institution for Clinical Sciences in Lund, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Care 33:998-1003. 2010..Chronic diabetic foot ulcers are a source of major concern for both patients and health care systems. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) in the management of chronic diabetic foot ulcers...
- The effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on oxidative stress, inflammation, and symptoms in children with autism: an open-label pilot studyDaniel A Rossignol
International Child Development Resource Center, 3800 West Eau Gallie Blvd, Suite 105, Melbourne, FL 32934, USA
BMC Pediatr 7:36. 2007..Changes in markers of oxidative stress and inflammation were measured. The children were evaluated to determine clinical effects and safety...
- Hyperbaric treatment for children with autism: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled trialDaniel A Rossignol
International Child Development Resource Center, Melbourne, FL, USA
BMC Pediatr 9:21. 2009..We performed a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial to assess the efficacy of hyperbaric treatment in children with autism...
- The role of oxygen in wound healing: a review of the literaturePaola G Rodriguez
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Dermatol Surg 34:1159-69. 2008..The presence of oxygen is necessary for normal wound healing. Oxygen has been given as a therapeutic modality to assist and speed wound healing...
- Combined treatment of intrapancreatic autologous bone marrow stem cells and hyperbaric oxygen in type 2 diabetes mellitusEsteban J Estrada
Stem Cell Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cell Transplant 17:1295-304. 2008..Combined therapy of intrapancreatic ASC infusion and HBO can improve metabolic control and reduce insulin requirements in patients with T2DM. Further randomized controlled clinical trials will be required to confirm these findings...
- Inhibition of apoptosis by hyperbaric oxygen in a rat focal cerebral ischemic modelDali Yin
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 23:855-64. 2003..One of the molecular mechanisms of HBO-induced brain protection is to prevent apoptosis, and this effect of HBO might preserve more brain tissues and promote neurologic functional recovery...
- Increased long-term mortality among survivors of acute carbon monoxide poisoningNeil B Hampson
Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Crit Care Med 37:1941-7. 2009..The objective of this study was to analyze long-term mortality of a large population of CO-poisoned patients treated at one medical center over three decades...
- Systematic review of agents for the management of gastrointestinal mucositis in cancer patientsRachel J Gibson
School of Medical Sciences, University of Adelaide, North Terrace, Adelaide 5005, South Australia, Australia
Support Care Cancer 21:313-26. 2013..The aim of this study was to review the available literature and define clinical practice guidelines for the use of agents for the prevention and treatment of gastrointestinal mucositis...
- Attenuating inflammation but stimulating both angiogenesis and neurogenesis using hyperbaric oxygen in rats with traumatic brain injuryKao Chang Lin
Department of Biotechnology, Southern Taiwan University, Tainan, Taiwan
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 72:650-9. 2012..The aim of this study was to ascertain whether inflammation, angiogenesis, neurogenesis, and gliosis during TBI are affected by HBO2 therapy...
- Oxidative stress is fundamental to hyperbaric oxygen therapyStephen R Thom
Department of Emergency Medicine, Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6068, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:988-95. 2009....
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Part 2: application in diseaseMelissa L Edwards
Allegheny Veterinary Emergency Trauma and Specialty, Monroeville, PA 15146, USA
J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 20:289-97. 2010..Review the mechanisms of action and clinical application of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) based on human and veterinary clinical and experimental literature...
- Carbon monoxide toxicityG Patrick Kealey
Department of Surgery, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Burn Care Res 30:146-7. 2009..Understanding the varying effects of the toxic gases at the scene of injury may facilitate the development of specific treatment regimens for inhalation injury...
- Multiple effects of hyperbaric oxygen on the expression of HIF-1 alpha and apoptotic genes in a global ischemia-hypotension rat modelYun Li
Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Science Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
Exp Neurol 191:198-210. 2005..These results indicate that HBO has multiple actions on apoptotic genes even though the overall effect of HBO was decreased HIF-1alpha expression and reduced apoptosis after global ischemia-hypotension...
- Preconditioning with hyperbaric oxygen induces tolerance against oxidative injury via increased expression of heme oxygenase-1 in primary cultured spinal cord neuronsQingbo Li
Department of Aerospace Hygiene and Health Service, School of Aerospace Medicine, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710032, China
Life Sci 80:1087-93. 2007..In conclusion, HBO preconditioning can protect primary cultured spinal cord neurons against oxidative stress, and the upregulation of HO-1 expression plays an essential role in HBO induced preconditioning effect...
- Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy using gamma unit after hyperbaric oxygenation on recurrent high-grade gliomasKiyotaka Kohshi
Division of Hyperbaric Medicine and Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Occupational and Environmental Health, 1 1 Iseigaoka, Yahatanishi ku, 807 8555, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Neurooncol 82:297-303. 2007....
- Hyperbaric oxygen preconditioning induces tolerance against brain ischemia-reperfusion injury by upregulation of antioxidant enzymes in ratsJiasi Li
Department of Neurology, Changhai Hospital, 174 Changhai Road, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Brain Res 1210:223-9. 2008..These observations demonstrated that an upregulation of the antioxidant enzyme activity by HBO preconditioning plays an important role in the generation of tolerance against brain ischemia-reperfusion injury...
- Systematic review of the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygenation therapy in the management of chronic diabetic foot ulcersRui Liu
Department of Endocrinology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Mayo Clin Proc 88:166-75. 2013To assess the efficacy and safety of hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) therapy as adjunctive treatment for diabetic foot ulcers with a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature.
- Evaluation of the effect of SMA-pirarubicin micelles on colorectal cancer liver metastases and of hyperbaric oxygen in CBA miceJurstine Daruwalla
Department of Surgery, Austin Health Hospital, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Vic, Australia
J Drug Target 15:487-95. 2007..The data also suggests a potential benefit of combined therapy of HBO with micellar anthracyclins...
- Diffusion-tensor MR imaging for evaluation of the efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in patients with delayed neuropsychiatric syndrome caused by carbon monoxide inhalationC P Lo
Department of Radiology, Tri Service General Hospital and National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, China
Eur J Neurol 14:777-82. 2007..HBO may be an effective therapy for DNS...
- Effects of hyperbaric oxygen on proliferation and differentiation of osteoblasts from human alveolar boneDong Wu
Bone Tissue Engineering Lab, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Connect Tissue Res 48:206-13. 2007..The data suggest that the exposure of osteoblasts to HBO enhances differentiation toward the osteogenic phenotype, providing cellular evidence of the potential application of HBO in fracture healing and bone regeneration...
- Effects of pre-exposure to hyperbaric hyperoxia on high-intensity exercise performanceShigeo Kawada
The Department of Human and Engineered Environmental Studies, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Chiba Prefecture, Japan
J Strength Cond Res 22:66-74. 2008..As a practical application, athletes who require maximal muscle strength should not inspire high-concentration of O2 just before their competitions because it might, as the case may be, impair their performance...
- Spatio-temporal course of macrophage-like cell accumulation after experimental embolic stroke depending on treatment with tissue plasminogen activator and its combination with hyperbaric oxygenationD Michalski
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Histochem 56:e14. 2012..The tendency towards a decreasing macrophage-like cell accumulation after tPA+HBO needs to be discussed critically since neuroprotective properties were recently ascribed to long-term inflammatory processes...
- Vasculogenic stem cell mobilization and wound recruitment in diabetic patients: increased cell number and intracellular regulatory protein content associated with hyperbaric oxygen therapyStephen R Thom
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6068, USA
Wound Repair Regen 19:149-61. 2011..We conclude that HBO(2) T stimulates vasculogenic stem cell mobilization from bone marrow of diabetics and more cells are recruited to skin wounds...
- Hyperbaric oxygen improves rate of return of spontaneous circulation after prolonged normothermic porcine cardiopulmonary arrestKeith Van Meter
Section of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, LA, United States
Resuscitation 78:200-14. 2008..The experiment demonstrates a dose response to oxygen concentration in the breathing mix used in resuscitative ventilation...
- The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on ischemia-reperfusion injury: an experimental study in a rat musculocutaneous flapJoon Pio Hong
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Ann Plast Surg 51:478-87. 2003..In conclusion, the application of hyperbaric oxygen against ischemia-reperfusion injury increases flap survival and the beneficial effect may be explained by a protective mechanism involving downregulation of ICAM-1 on endothelial cells...
- Hyperbaric oxygen and radiotherapyRamona Mayer
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Strahlenther Onkol 181:113-23. 2005..Furthermore, tumors may be sensitized to irradiation by raising intratumoral oxygen tensions...
- Effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on tumor growth in murine model of PC-3 prostate cancer cell lineHao Tang
Department of Urology, Shanghai Changhai Hospital, Shanghai, China
Urology 73:205-8. 2009..To test the hypothesis that hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) has no effect on tumor growth in a murine model of indolent in vivo prostate cancer. HBO means breathing pure (100%) oxygen under increased atmospheric pressure...
- Hyperbaric oxygen and bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells in diabetic wound healingKatherine A Gallagher
Department of Surgery, Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19124, USA
Vascular 14:328-37. 2006....
- Effects of radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation on malignant gliomasK Kohshi
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Industrial Ecological Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Br J Cancer 80:236-41. 1999..05). No serious side-effects were observed in the HBO patients. In conclusion, irradiation after HBO seems to be a useful form of treatment for malignant gliomas, but irradiation should be administered immediately after decompression...
- A phase II study of radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation combined with interferon-beta and nimustine hydrochloride to treat supratentorial malignant gliomasTakaaki Beppu
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
J Neurooncol 61:161-70. 2003..Since hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) increases oxygen pressure in glioma tissue, we applied a modified IAR therapy, radiotherapy after ..
- Effect of large dose hyperbaric oxygenation therapy on prognosis and oxidative stress of acute permanent cerebral ischemic stroke in ratsLianbi Xue
Department of Hyperbaric Oxygenation, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Neurol Res 30:389-93. 2008To evaluate the therapeutic effect and the oxidative stress effect of 9 and 18 hour hyperbaric oxygenation therapy (HBOT) protocols on the earliest stage of acute permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO) in rats.
- Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on experimental acute distal colitisB Gulec
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Gulhane School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Physiol Res 53:493-9. 2004..The results of our study suggest that hyperbaric oxygen therapy has beneficial effects on the course of experimental distal colitis and that antioxidant systems may be involved in its mode of action...
- Effects of hyperbaric oxygen treatment on liver functions, oxidative status and histology in septic ratsSukru Oter
Department of Physiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Etlik, 06018 Ankara, Turkey
Intensive Care Med 31:1262-8. 2005..Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy provides more oxygenation in the whole body. This study examined the effect of HBO alone or in combination with cefepime (CEF) on the liver in septic rats...
- Hyperbaric oxygenation pretreatment induces catalase and reduces infarct size in ischemic rat myocardiumC H Kim
Department of Pharmacology and BK21 Human Life Sciences, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Heart Research Institute SNUMRC, South Korea
Pflugers Arch 442:519-25. 2001..We examined whether hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) pretreatment induces antioxidant enzymes and protects the heart from subsequent ischemia-reperfusion ..
- Hyperbaric oxygen reduces neuronal death and improves neurological outcome after canine cardiac arrestRobert E Rosenthal
Program in Trauma, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Stroke 34:1311-6. 2003....
- Long-term exposure to repetitive hyperbaric oxygen results in cumulative oxidative stress in rat lung tissueKemal Simsek
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Inhal Toxicol 23:166-72. 2011..Nevertheless, these studies were usually performed with single-session HBO exposure but its clinical use commonly depends on long-term exposure periods...
- Hyperbaric oxygenation enhances transplanted cell graft and functional recovery in the infarct heartMahmood Khan
Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 47:275-87. 2009..We hypothesized that hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) can be used as an adjuvant treatment to augment stem-cell therapy...
- Hyperbaric oxygen exposure improves blood glucose level and muscle oxidative capacity in rats with type 2 diabetesNing Gu
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Diabetes Technol Ther 12:125-33. 2010..The effects of exposure to hyperbaric oxygen on blood glucose level and muscle oxidative capacity in rats with type 2 diabetes were investigated...
- Endothelial-neutrophil interactions during ischemia and reperfusion injury: basic mechanisms of hyperbaric oxygenJ A Buras
Department of Biology and Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, New England Inflammation and Tissue Protection Institute at Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neurol Res 29:127-31. 2007..This review intends to describe the current basic mechanisms responsible for hyperbaric oxygen-mediated inhibition of neutrophil-endothelial interactions following ischemia/reperfusion injury...
- Neuroprotective effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy monitored by MR-imaging after embolic stroke in ratsNils Henninger
Department of Neurology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Exp Neurol 201:316-23. 2006..3 +/- 39.6 mm3 vs. 202.5 +/- 58.3 mm3 (control, P = 0.029). As shown by MRI and TTC, HBO treatment demonstrated significant neuroprotection at 5 h after embolic focal cerebral ischemia that lasted for 168 h...
- Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on the anticancer effect of artemisinin on molt-4 human leukemia cellsYusuke Ohgami
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Anticancer Res 30:4467-70. 2010..Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO(2)) may be beneficial in the treatment of cancer. The hypothesis of this study was that HBO(2) enhances anticancer activity of artemisinin...
- Hyperbaric oxygen reduces basal lamina degradation after transient focal cerebral ischemia in ratsRoland Veltkamp
Department of Neurology, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Brain Res 1076:231-7. 2006..In conclusion, HBO therapy attenuates ischemic degradation of cerebral microvascular laminin-5 and blocks postischemic plasma MMP-9 upregulation...
- Hyperbaric oxygen as a chemotherapy adjuvant in the treatment of osteosarcomaYasuomi Kawasoe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kagoshima Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Oncol Rep 22:1045-50. 2009..These findings suggest that hyperbaric oxygen plus carboplatin combination therapy could be an appropriate therapeutic regimen for the treatment of patients with osteosarcoma...
- Hyperbaric oxygen as an adjunctive treatment for zygomycosisB V John
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:515-7. 2005..02). Prolonged courses of HBO were associated with a higher survival (100% survival; p 0.003). Additional studies are required to assess the optimal timing and dose for HBO treatment...
- Repetitive hyperbaric oxygen exposures enhance sensitivity to convulsion by upregulation of eNOS and nNOSWenwu Liu
Department of Diving Medicine, Faculty of Naval Medicine, Second Military Medical University, and Department of Neurology, Changhai Hospital, Shanghai, 200433, PR China
Brain Res 1201:128-34. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the mechanisms in increased sensitivity to convulsions and the role of nitric oxide (NO) and its synthases after repetitive HBO exposures...
- Systematic review of hyperbaric oxygen in the management of chronic woundsI Roeckl-Wiedmann
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Rotkreuz Krankenhaus, Munich, Germany
Br J Surg 92:24-32. 2005..Many therapeutic options exist for chronic wounds. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is one such option. It may be used for diabetic, venous, arterial and pressure ulcers...
- Oxygen in wound healing and infectionFinn Gottrup
The University Center of Wound Healing, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
World J Surg 28:312-5. 2004..This has been shown experimentally, but recently a short period of supplementary oxygen has been shown to decrease wound complications in clinical practice as well...
- Efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy and medical ozone therapy in experimental acute necrotizing pancreatitisBulent Uysal
Department of Physiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Pancreas 39:9-15. 2010..Our aims were to evaluate the efficacy of ozone therapy (OT) in an experimental rat model of acute necrotizing pancreatitis (ANP) and to compare its effects with hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy in this entity...
- Hyperbaric oxygenation alleviates MCAO-induced brain injury and reduces hydroxyl radical formation and glutamate releaseZhong jin Yang
Department of Anesthesiology, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:513-22. 2010..This study suggests that the decreased glutamate release and the reduced formation of hydroxyl free radicals might contribute to the neuroprotective effect of HBO...
- Carbon monoxide poisoning: risk factors for cognitive sequelae and the role of hyperbaric oxygenLindell K Weaver
Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:491-7. 2007..Carbon monoxide poisoning is common and causes cognitive sequelae. Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO(2)) reduces cognitive sequelae incidence, but which patients may benefit from HBO(2) is unclear...
- Hyperbaric oxygen and cerebral physiologyJohn W Calvert
Department of Physiology, Division of Neurosurgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Neurol Res 29:132-41. 2007....
- Protection of mitochondrial function and improvement in cognitive recovery in rats treated with hyperbaric oxygen following lateral fluid-percussion injuryZhengwen Zhou
Department of Neurosurgery, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0631, USA
J Neurosurg 106:687-94. 2007....
- Effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on cerebral oxygenation and mitochondrial function following moderate lateral fluid-percussion injury in ratsWilson P Daugherty
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
J Neurosurg 101:499-504. 2004....
- Hyperbaric oxygen preconditioning induces tolerance against spinal cord ischemia by upregulation of antioxidant enzymes in rabbitsHuang Nie
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:666-74. 2006..The results indicate that an initial oxidative stress, as a trigger to upregulate the antioxidant enzyme activities, plays an important role in the formation of the tolerance against spinal cord ischemia by HBO preconditioning...
- Preconditioning with hyperbaric oxygen and hyperoxia induces tolerance against spinal cord ischemia in rabbitsHailong Dong
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital of the Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Anesthesiology 96:907-12. 2002....
- Hyperbaric oxygenation prevented brain injury induced by hypoxia-ischemia in a neonatal rat modelJohn W Calvert
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Brain Res 951:1-8. 2002..050). The results suggest that HBO is able to attenuate the effects of HI on the neonatal brain by reducing the progression of neuronal injury and increasing sensorimotor function...
- [Treatment of Acute Central Retinal Artery Occlusion (CRAO) by Hyperbaric Oxygenation Therapy (HBO)--Pilot study with 21 patients]Andreas W A Weinberger
Augenklinik der Medizinischen Fakultät der RWTH Aachen, Germany
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 219:728-34. 2002..In this study we applied hyperbaric oxygenation treatment additionally to haemodilution to overcome retinal ischaemia until spontaneous recanalisation of ..
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for wound healing and limb salvage: a systematic reviewRobert J Goldman
Wound Care and Rehab Medicine, LLC, P O Box 18870, Philadelphia, PA 19119, USA
PM R 1:471-89. 2009..The data source is the Ovid/Medline database for key word "Hyperbaric Oxygenation" with search limits (human studies, 1978-2008)...
- Increased sensitivity to seizures in repeated exposures to hyperbaric oxygen: role of NOS activationM Chavko
Environmental Physiology Department, Naval Medical Research Center, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Brain Res 900:227-33. 2001..nNOS upregulation 1 and 2 days after seizures and protection against HBO(2) seizures by nNOS-specific inhibitor 7-nitroindazole (7-NI) suggest possible involvement of NO in the mechanism of increased sensitivity to HBO(2) in reexposures...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy might improve certain pathophysiological findings in autismDaniel A Rossignol
University of Virginia, Department of Family Medicine, P O Box 800729, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Med Hypotheses 68:1208-27. 2007..Several studies on the use of HBOT in autistic children are currently underway and early results are promising...
- Effects of hyperbaric exposure with high oxygen concentration on glucose and insulin levels and skeletal muscle-fiber properties in diabetic ratsKoichiro Yasuda
Laboratory of Metabolism, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Muscle Nerve 35:337-43. 2007..Muscle Nerve, 2006...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy reduces neuroinflammation and expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in the rat model of traumatic brain injuryE Vlodavsky
Institute of Pathology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 32:40-50. 2006..The decline of MMP-9 expression after HBOT may also contribute to protection of brain tissue in the perilesional area. Further research should be centred on the evaluation of long-term functional and morphological results of HBOT...
- Human amniotic fluid mesenchymal stem cells in combination with hyperbaric oxygen augment peripheral nerve regenerationHung Chuan Pan
Department of Neurosurgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Neurochem Res 34:1304-16. 2009..Herein, we evaluate the beneficial effect of hyperbaric oxygen on transplanted AFS in a sciatic nerve injury model...
- Hyperbaric exposure with high oxygen concentration improves altered fiber types in the plantaris muscle of diabetic Goto-Kakizaki ratsA Matsumoto
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, 606 8501 Japan
J Physiol Sci 57:133-6. 2007..It is concluded that altered patterns of fiber types in the plantaris muscle of diabetic rats shift toward normal, which is observed in nondiabetic rats, following hyperbaric exposure with high oxygen concentration...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for malignancy: a reviewJurstine Daruwalla
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Austin Hospital, Level 8 Lance Townsend Building, Austin Health, Studley Road, Heidelberg, Victoria, 3084 Australia
World J Surg 30:2112-31. 2006..This review outlines the importance of oxygen to tumors and the mechanisms by which tumors survive under hypoxic conditions. It also presents data from both experimental and clinical studies for the effect of HBO on malignancy...
- Hyperbaric oxygen and malignancies: a potential role in radiotherapy, chemotherapy, tumor surgery and phototherapyNoori S Al-Waili
Life Support Technologies, Inc, The Mount Vernon Hospital, New York 10550, USA
Med Sci Monit 11:RA279-89. 2005..HBO2 is a relatively benign with few contraindications, even for active cancer patients...
- Hyperbaric oxygen inhibits benign and malignant human mammary epithelial cell proliferationEric V Granowitz
Department of Medicine, Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
Anticancer Res 25:3833-42. 2005b>Hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) therapy is the administration of 100%-inhaled oxygen to patients at increased atmospheric pressure.
- Hyperbaric oxygen protects from sepsis mortality via an interleukin-10-dependent mechanismJon A Buras
New England Inflammation and Tissue Protection Institute Consortium at Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 34:2624-9. 2006..Finally, we wished to determine whether the mechanism of HBO2 protection in sepsis was dependent on IL-10 production...
- Hyperbaric oxygen reduces blood-brain barrier damage and edema after transient focal cerebral ischemiaRoland Veltkamp
Department of Neurology, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 36:1679-83. 2005..We examined the potential of HBO to reduce postischemic blood-brain barrier (BBB) damage and edema...
- Hyperbaric oxygen in traumatic brain injurySarah B Rockswold
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, 701 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Neurol Res 29:162-72. 2007..Potential safety risks and oxygen toxicity, as well as HBO's future potential, are also discussed...
- Improving neuropsychological function after chronic brain injury with hyperbaric oxygenZarabeth Golden
University of Florida, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA
Disabil Rehabil 28:1379-86. 2006..One suggested treatment for chronic brain injury (CBI) is the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). The present study was an evaluation of neuropsychological improvement after HBOT in CBI patients...
- Early hyperbaric oxygen therapy attenuates disease severity in lupus-prone autoimmune (NZB x NZW) F1 miceShao Yuan Chen
Institute of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Clin Immunol 108:103-10. 2003..Our data demonstrated that HBO(2) therapy attenuated disease severity in NZB/W F1 mice. HBO(2) treatment may be of use in the clinical treatment of lupus patients and would benefit from further study...
- Hyperbaric oxygen downregulates ICAM-1 expression induced by hypoxia and hypoglycemia: the role of NOSJ A Buras
Department of Emergency Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston 02115, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 278:C292-302. 2000..Our findings suggest that the beneficial effects of HBO in treating I/R injury may be mediated in part by inhibition of ICAM-1 expression through the induction of eNOS...
- Use of normobaric and hyperbaric oxygen in acute focal cerebral ischemia - a preclinical and clinical reviewD Michalski
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 123:85-97. 2011....
- Oxygen-sensitive outcomes and gene expression in acute ischemic strokeCameron Rink
Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, 473 W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1275-87. 2010..The findings provide key information relevant to understanding oxygen-dependent molecular mechanisms in the AIS-affected brain...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for reduction of secondary brain damage in head injury: an animal model of brain contusionEilam Palzur
Division of Neurosurgery and Acute Brain Research Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, The Technion, Haifa, Israel
J Neurotrauma 21:41-8. 2004..The current findings also suggest that HBOT may limit the growth of cerebral contusions and justify further experimental studies...
- Neuroprotective effects of hyperbaric oxygen treatment in experimental focal cerebral ischemia are associated with reduced brain leukocyte myeloperoxidase activityMilena Miljkovic-Lolic
Department of Medicine, St Joseph Medical Center, Towson, MD, USA
Brain Res 971:90-4. 2003..We hypothesized that HBO given prior to or after MCAO reduces PMN infiltration into the brain, and that decreased PMN infiltration is associated with improved functional and anatomic outcome...
- Change of oxygen pressure in glioblastoma tissue under various conditionsTakaaki Beppu
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
J Neurooncol 58:47-52. 2002..It is possible that the pO2 level in peritumoral tissue is affected by intracranial pressure, whereas that in the intratumoral tissue is usually low. HBO was the optimal procedure for oxygenation, but its benefit was reduced over time...
- Early hyperbaric oxygen therapy for retinal artery occlusionI Beiran
Department of Ophthalmology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Eur J Ophthalmol 11:345-50. 2001To assess whether early hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) treatment has a beneficial effect on visual results after retinal artery occlusion (RAO).
- EFFECTS OF HBO IN ACUTE CEREBRAL ISCHEMIAREUBEN KRON; Fiscal Year: 1980..In 1966, Heyman and Saltzman reported that hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) produced a remission of focal neurological signs and symptoms in some acute stroke patients; however,..
- Hyperbaric Oxygenation May Increase Lung InjuryMichail Sitkovsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable]..
- CO POISONING IN THE CONTEXT OF A REPERFUSION INJURYStephen Thom; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research plan is aimed to test the hypothesis that immune responses and the associated oxidative stress cause neurological injuries. ..
- Normobaric Hyperoxia in Acute Ischemic StrokeAneesh B Singhal; Fiscal Year: 2010..Breathing high-flow oxygen may prove to be a simple, practical, portable, and potentially cost-effective therapy that improves stroke outcomes, either independently or by extending the time window for IV tPA. ..
- ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON SENSORIMOTOR INTEGRATIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding how and where anesthetics act will eventually lead to the development of better and safer anesthetics, thereby decreasing peri-operative morbidity and mortality and improving public health. ..
- BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANESTHETIC ACTIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will aid the development of newer and safer anesthetics, as well as lead to clinically useful means of modulating the neurotransmitter systems that are themselves modulated by anesthetics. ..
- NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE ISOFORMS IN ATHEROSCLEROSISPaul Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..We propose to use bone marrow transplantation studies to assess the importance of NOS isoform expression by bone marrow-derived cells to vessel injury and atherosclerosis in vivo. ..
- ATHEROSCLEROSIS AND CEREBRAL ISCHEMIAPaul Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008..They also provide proof of principle for approaches that directly target cerebral vascular dysfunction for the treatment and prevention of stroke. ..
- Early Identification of Adverse Reactions to HerbsStephen Bent; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, this research strives to identify improved methods for the early detection of adverse events, providing patients with a safer environment to achieve the potential benefits of herbal products. ..
- Conference--Wound Healing : O2 and Emerging TherapeuticsChandan Sen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Oxygen Sensing Oxidant Signaling & Redox Regulated Gene Expression Oxygen Therapy of Wounds Potential and Limitations of Clinical Gene Therapy for Wound Care Wound Angiogenesis Inflammation and Bacterial Control Clinical Care ..
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Ischemic Wound HealingOmaida Velazquez; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, we will use in vivo human/murine chimeric models and models of human angiogenesis in vitro to add information more specific to human cells. ..
- Tricyclic antidepressants as risks factors for cancerJean Paul Collet; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SPECTROSCOPIC AND RELATED STUDIES ON LENS MEMBRANE LIPIDDouglas Borchman; Fiscal Year: 2003..An understanding of these alterations will facilitate the development of therapies to prevent or perhaps even reverse these changes. ..
- Oxygen Sensitive Signaling in Primary Cardiac FibroblastChandan Sen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This raises a significant broad-based issue of controlling ambient O2 during cell culture. Finally, an isolated cell culture model to study chronic moderate hypoxia followed by reoxygenation is offered. ..
- Role of macrophages in hemangioendothelioma developmentGayle Gordillo; Fiscal Year: 2008..The current proposal includes didactic and research training elements towards the development of a surgical scientist career of a hispanic woman plastic surgeon. ..
- NORMAL TISSUE DOSE VOLUME RESPONSE IN RADIATION THERAPYTimothy Schultheiss; Fiscal Year: 2002..This form of data splitting will be used to determine if the model(s) fit the new data, thereby validating the initial results. ..