Genomes and Genes
Summary: The techniques used to draw blood from a vein for diagnostic purposes or for treatment of certain blood disorders such as erythrocytosis, hemochromatosis, polycythemia vera, and porphyria cutanea tarda.
Publications289 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of dietary iron reduction versus phlebotomy in patients with chronic hepatitis C: results from a randomized, controlled trial on 40 Japanese patientsYoshio Sumida
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Nara City Hospital, Nara, Japan
Intern Med 46:637-42. 2007Iron may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hepatitis C. We conducted this randomized, controlled trial comparing phlebotomy with dietary iron reduction.
- Iron overload disorders: treatment options for patients refractory to or intolerant of phlebotomyPenny Bring
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 28:331-42. 2008..If left untreated, tissue iron deposition can result in organ damage. Treatment options such as phlebotomy, chelating agents, and erythrocytapheresis can prevent complications and target organ damage...
- Is suboptimal phlebotomy technique impacting on potassium results for primary care?Ian R Bailey
Department of Chemical Pathology, Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 45:266-9. 2008..Similarly, inappropriate phlebotomy technique (in particular, requesting patients to fist clench to facilitate venesection) is a documented cause of ..
- Hemolyzed specimens: a major challenge for emergency departments and clinical laboratoriesGiuseppe Lippi
U O Diagnostica Ematochimica, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Parma, Parma, Italy
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 48:143-53. 2011..higher in specimens obtained in the Emergency Department (ED) as compared with other wards or outpatient phlebotomy services...
- Influence of short-term venous stasis on clinical chemistry testingGiuseppe Lippi
Istituto di Chimica e Microscopia Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 43:869-75. 2005....
- Blood letting in high-ferritin type 2 diabetes: effects on insulin sensitivity and beta-cell functionJose Manuel Fernandez-Real
Unit of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition, University Hospital of Girona Dr Josep Trueta, Girona, Spain
Diabetes 51:1000-4. 2002..The mechanisms for improvement in peripheral insulin sensitivity after blood letting should be investigated further...
- Survey of national guidelines, education and training on phlebotomy in 28 European countries: an original report by the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) working group for the preanalytical phase (WG-PA)Ana Maria Simundic
University Department of Chemistry, Sestre milosrdnice University Hospital Center, Vinogradska 29, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Clin Chem Lab Med 51:1585-93. 2013..Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine Working Group for the Preanalytical Phase (EFLM WG-PA) to assess how phlebotomy is performed in EFLM countries, including differences in personnel, level of education and skills, and to ..
- Blood sample collection and patient identification demand improvement: a questionnaire study of preanalytical practices in hospital wards and laboratoriesOlof Wallin
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 24:581-91. 2010..Scand J Caring Sci; 2010; 24; 581-591 Blood sample collection and patient identification demand improvement: a questionnaire study of preanalytical practices in hospital wards and laboratories..
- A prospective study of causes of haemolysis during venepuncture: tourniquet time should be kept to a minimumS Saleem
Department of Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 46:244-6. 2009..A number of factors have been implicated in the aetiology of haemolysis. We undertook this study to enable us to identify and hence rectify causes of haemolysis in samples from patients on acute medical and surgical wards...
- Reduction in red blood cell transfusions among preterm infants: results of a randomized trial with an in-line blood gas and chemistry monitorJohn A Widness
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Pediatrics 115:1299-306. 2005..To date, researchers have had only limited success in finding ways to reduce transfusions significantly in this patient population...
- Effects of vigorous mixing of blood vacuum tubes on laboratory test resultsGabriel Lima-Oliveira
Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry, Department of Life and Reproduction Sciences, University of Verona, Italy
Clin Biochem 46:250-4. 2013..To evaluate the effect of tubes mixing (gentle vs. vigorous) on diagnostic blood specimens collected in vacuum tube systems by venipuncture...
- To mix or not to mix venous blood samples collected in vacuum tubes?Anna Parenmark
Division of Clinical Chemistry, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, County Council of Ostergotland, Linkoping, Sweden
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:2061-3. 2011..Though mixing allows efficient anticoagulation in plasma tubes and fast initiation of coagulation in serum tubes, the effect on laboratory analyses and risk of haemolysis has not been thoroughly evaluated...
- Effects of phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores on metabolic syndrome: results from a randomized clinical trialKhosrow S Houschyar
Department of Internal Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
BMC Med 10:54. 2012..We tested the hypothesis that phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores would alter the clinical presentation of METS, using a randomized trial.
- Screening for hereditary hemochromatosis: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceEvelyn P Whitlock
Oregon Evidence Based Practice Center, Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente, Portland, Oregon 97227 1110, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:209-23. 2006..The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has not previously considered screening for hereditary hemochromatosis for a recommendation as a clinical preventive service for primary care clinicians...
- Factors affecting hemolysis rates in blood samples drawn from newly placed IV sites in the emergency departmentLisa Dugan
Patient Care Services, Loudoun Hospital Center, Leesburg, VA 20176, USA
J Emerg Nurs 31:338-45. 2005..of hemolyzed samples in the emergency department, performance improvement activities were implemented, including phlebotomy classes for staff, evaluation of blood draw equipment, and a study to evaluate factors attributed to hemolysis ..
- Erythropoietic response to endogenous erythropoietin in premature very low birth weight infantsKevin J Freise
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 332:229-37. 2010..To determine these quantities, all blood removed by phlebotomy and administered by red blood cell (RBC) transfusion over the first 30 days of life was recorded in 14 ..
- Nursing blood specimen collection techniques and hemolysis rates in an emergency department: analysis of venipuncture versus intravenous catheter collection techniquesGlynnis Lowe
Department of Emergency Medicine, York Hospital, York, PA 17405, USA
J Emerg Nurs 34:26-32. 2008..Our hypothesis was that hemolysis rates of blood specimens differ dependent on the blood collection technique by venipuncture or intravenous catheter draw...
- Collection of blood specimens by venipuncture for plasma-based coagulation assays: necessity of a discard tubeMaarten T M Raijmakers
Laboratory for Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Atrium Medical Centre Parkstad, CX Heerlen, The Netherlands
Am J Clin Pathol 133:331-5. 2010..The recent CLSI recommendation that a discard tube is not necessary for PT/INR and APTT can be extended to include more specialized plasma-based coagulation assays as identified in this study...
- The quality of the extra-analytical phase of laboratory practice in some developing European countries and Mexico - a multicentric studyAna Maria Simundic
University Department of Chemistry, Emergency Laboratory Department, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice Zagreb, Croatia
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:215-28. 2011..We assessed the quality of the extra-analytical practices in participating laboratories regarding the: a) sample acceptance criteria; b) phlebotomy procedures; c) test results reporting and d) recording non-conformities.
- Effect of order of draw of blood samples during phlebotomy on routine biochemistry resultsRaashda A Sulaiman
Department of Clinical Chemistry, New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK
J Clin Pathol 64:1019-20. 2011To investigate whether incorrect order of draw of blood samples during phlebotomy causes in vitro potassium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid EDTA (kEDTA) contamination of blood samples.
- Minor improvement of venous blood specimen collection practices in primary health care after a large-scale educational interventionKarin Bölenius
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Building A, 4th Floor, 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Clin Chem Lab Med 51:303-10. 2013..We evaluated a large-scale 2 h educational intervention that emphasised guideline adherence to assess possible improvements of venous blood specimen collection practices...
- Use of separate venipunctures for IV access and laboratory studies decreases hemolysis ratesShannon M Straszewski
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, One Deaconess Road, WCC 2, Boston, MA 02215 USA
Intern Emerg Med 6:357-9. 2011..Avoiding hemolysis, we saved 4.7% of our patients' 56 min of ED stay, and avoided 185 retests over the month. In conclusion, venipuncture from a butterfly needle decreases the rate of hemolysis and may decrease the overall ED LOS...
- The effect of phlebotomy and mannitol on acute renal injury induced by ischemia/reperfusion of lower limbs in ratsIbrahim Goksin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, School of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Ann Vasc Surg 25:1118-28. 2011..Venous blood volume exclusion from the inferior vena cava (phlebotomy) or/and mannitol are used as a treatment for I/R injury of kidney in humans, despite the fact that the ..
- Effect of controlled reduction of body iron stores on clinical outcomes in peripheral arterial diseaseLeo R Zacharski
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Jct, VT 05009, USA
Am Heart J 162:949-957.e1. 2011..The mechanism of the age-specific effect was explored...
- Phlebotomy issues and quality improvement in results of laboratory testingGiuseppe Lippi
Istituto di Chimica e Microscopia Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Lab 52:217-30. 2006..preanalytic variables which lie outside the direct control or supervision of the laboratory personnel, such as phlebotomy, call for effective educational and preventive policies...
- Hereditary haemochromatosisJ K Limdi
Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester, UK
QJM 97:315-24. 2004..Early recognition and treatment (phlebotomy) is essential to prevent irreversible complications such as cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Iron depletion by phlebotomy improves insulin resistance in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperferritinemia: evidence from a case-control studyLuca Valenti
Department of Internal Medicine, Universita di Milano, Ospedale Policlinico Mangiagalli Regina Elena IRCCS, Milano, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 102:1251-8. 2007..Iron depletion by phlebotomy has been reported to decrease insulin resistance in NAFLD in small, uncontrolled studies...
- Effect of low central venous pressure and phlebotomy on blood product transfusion requirements during liver transplantationsLuc Massicotte
Department of Anesthesiology corrected Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CHUM, St Denis, QC, Canada
Liver Transpl 12:117-23. 2006..through restriction of volume replacement, elimination of all plasma transfusion and by using intraoperative phlebotomy during the transplantation...
- Effect of iron depletion in carbohydrate-intolerant patients with clinical evidence of nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseFrancesco S Facchini
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco and San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California, USA
Gastroenterology 122:931-9. 2002..In an attempt to further clarify the interrelationships among these conditions, we studied 42 carbohydrate-intolerant patients who were free of the common GH mutations C282Y and H63D, and had a serum iron saturation lower than 50%...
- Bloodletting ameliorates insulin sensitivity and secretion in parallel to reducing liver iron in carriers of HFE gene mutationsFrancesco Equitani
Transfusion Medicine, SanFilippo Neri Hospital, Rome, Italy
Diabetes Care 31:3-8. 2008..To clarify the pathogenesis of diabetes associated with mutations of the hemochromatosis (HFE) gene, 17 carriers, 9 normal glucose tolerant (NGT) and 8 diabetic, were evaluated in an interventional trial...
- Transillumination: a new tool to eliminate the impact of venous stasis during the procedure for the collection of diagnostic blood specimens for routine haematological testingG Lima-Oliveira
Department of Medical Pathology, Federal University of Parana, Parana, Brazil
Int J Lab Hematol 33:457-62. 2011....
- Contamination rates of blood cultures obtained by dedicated phlebotomy vs intravenous catheterAlonna Norberg
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, One Perkins Square, Akron, Ohio 44308, USA
JAMA 289:726-9. 2003..Blood culture is the criterion standard for identifying children with bacteremia. However, elevated false-positive rates are common and are associated with substantial health care costs...
- Surgical vampires and rising health care expenditure: reducing the cost of daily phlebotomyElizabeth A Stuebing
DeWitt Daughtry Family Department of Surgery, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Arch Surg 146:524-7. 2011To determine whether simply being made continually aware of the hospital costs of daily phlebotomy would reduce the amount of phlebotomy ordered for nonintensive care unit surgical patients.
- Combined false hyperkalemia and hypocalcemia due to specimen contamination during routine phlebotomyM Tarek Naguib
Department of Medicine, St Mary s Regional Medical Center, Enid, Okla 73702, USA
South Med J 95:1218-20. 2002..We report 2 cases in which specimen contamination during routine phlebotomy with ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) caused alteration in serum levels of potassium and calcium...
- Effects of vitamin E administration on the hemorheological status and redox homeostasis of patients with porphyria cutanea tarda treated with phlebotomyE Szekely
Central Hospital of the Hungarian State Railways Budapest, Hungarian Porphyria Center, Podmaniczky Street 111, H 1062 Budapest, Hungary
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 36:13-23. 2007..We conducted a study in PCT patients to investigate whether E treatment has any additional beneficial effects compared with phlebotomy (P) treatment alone on rheological and oxidative stress parameters.
- Long-term phlebotomy with low-iron diet therapy lowers risk of development of hepatocellular carcinoma from chronic hepatitis CJunji Kato
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1, West 16, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:830-6. 2007..However, it has not been determined whether continuation of iron depletion therapy for CHC favorably influences its progression to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Stabilization of gene expression profiles in blood after phlebotomyAndreas Pahl
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Emil Fischer Center, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Fahrstrasse 17, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Clin Chem 48:2251-3. 2002
- Long-term results using hydroxyurea/phlebotomy for reducing secondary stroke risk in children with sickle cell anemia and iron overloadAnthea Greenway
Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am J Hematol 86:357-61. 2011..We previously reported the use of hydroxyurea/phlebotomy as an alternative to transfusions to reduce the risk of secondary stroke and improve management of iron overload ..
- Effect of phlebotomy on hepcidin expression in hemojuvelin-mutant miceJan Krijt
Institute of Pathophysiology and Center for Experimental Hematology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, 128 53 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Blood Cells Mol Dis 39:92-5. 2007..Single phlebotomy resulted in significant reduction of Hamp1 mRNA in both male and female Hjv+/+ mice (to 17% and 27% of controls ..
- Imatinib mesylate (Gleevec(TM)) reduces phlebotomy requirements in polycythemia veraR T Silver
Leukemia 17:1186-7. 2003
- Iron mobilization using chelation and phlebotomyTrond Peder Flaten
Department of Chemistry, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NO 7491 Trondheim, Norway
J Trace Elem Med Biol 26:127-30. 2012..The two most important treatment options for iron overload are phlebotomy and chelation...
- Chronic hepatitis C treated with phlebotomy alone: biochemical and histological outcomeM Sartori
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Ospedale Maggiore della Carita, Novara, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 33:157-62. 2001In patients with chronic hepatitis C, the histological outcome of long term phlebotomy is unknown.
- Risk of infection from needle reuse at a phlebotomy centerT C Porco
Community Health Epidemiology, Epidemiology and Effectiveness Research Unit, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Am J Public Health 91:636-8. 2001..determined infection risk for HIV, hepatitis B virus (HBV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV) from needle reuse at a phlebotomy center that possibly exposed 3810 patients to infection...
- Effect of carryover of clot activators on coagulation tests during phlebotomyYoko Fukugawa
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Clin Pathol 137:900-3. 2012We investigated the effect of clot activators carried over from the serum tube on major coagulation tests during phlebotomy. First, blood specimens from 30 normal subjects were mixed with small amounts of fluid containing clot activators, ..
- Education of phlebotomy teams improves blood volume in blood culture bottlesJakko van Ingen
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 51:1020-1. 2013..38 ± 3.88 ml) and anaerobic (7.16 ± 3.83 ml) blood culture bottles. Educational seminars were held for phlebotomy teams, and renewed measurements thereafter revealed significantly higher blood volumes in submitted aerobic (9...
- Venous stasis and routine hematologic testingG Lippi
Sezione di Chimica e Microscopia Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Lab Haematol 28:332-7. 2006....
- Virtual reality and the traditional method for phlebotomy training among college of nursing students in Kuwait: implications for nursing education and practiceVictoria L Vidal
College of Nursing, Public Authority for Applied Education and Training, Safat, Kuwait
J Infus Nurs 36:349-55. 2013..a control group and experimental group, compares the effectiveness of virtual reality simulators on developing phlebotomy skills of nursing students with the effectiveness of traditional methods of teaching...
- The skilled phlebotomistGiuseppe Lippi
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1260-1. 2006
- Fear of needles and vasovagal reactions among phlebotomy patientsBrett Deacon
University of Wyoming, Department of Psychology, Department 3415, 1000 E University Avenue, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Anxiety Disord 20:946-60. 2006..The present study was conducted to examine incidence of adverse reactions to venipunctures among phlebotomy patients, as well as to understand the demographic and psychological characteristics associated with such ..
- Reducing preanalytical laboratory sample errors through educational and technological interventionsRosa Lillo
Clinical Laboratory Department, University Hospital of San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Clin Lab 58:911-7. 2012....
- Comparison of laboratory values obtained by phlebotomy versus saline lock devicesJill Corbo
Department of Emergency Medicine, Jacobi Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Acad Emerg Med 14:23-7. 2007..To assess the utility of a peripheral saline lock device (SLD) as an alternative to a second venipuncture for obtaining selected blood samples...
- Making the invisible visible: near-infrared spectroscopy and phlebotomy in childrenEugen Matthias Strehle
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust in Association with Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Telemed J E Health 16:889-93. 2010b>Phlebotomy and venous cannulation are the most frequently performed and the most distressing invasive procedures in pediatrics...
- Prevention of hemolysis in blood samples collected from intravenous cathetersGiuseppe Lippi
Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Academic Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
Clin Biochem 46:561-4. 2013..We planned a prospective, randomized study to establish whether hemolysis in samples drawn from intravenous catheters may be reduced using S-Monovette® tubes collected by manual aspiration as compared with standard vacuum tubes...
- Phlebotomy increases cadmium uptake in hemochromatosisA Akesson
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Division of Metals and Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 108:289-91. 2000..In subjects with HH on maintenance phlebotomy treatment, blood concentrations of cadmium, but not lead, were significantly higher than in paired controls...
- Reduction in specimen labeling errors after implementation of a positive patient identification system in phlebotomyAileen P Morrison
Department of Medicine, Clinical Laboratories Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 133:870-7. 2010..We implemented a bar code-based positive patient identification system for use in inpatient phlebotomy. A before-after design was used to evaluate the impact of the identification system on the frequency of ..
- Laboratory quality improvement by implementation of phlebotomy guidelinesGiuseppe Lippi
MLO Med Lab Obs 38:6-7; author reply 7. 2006
- How safe is blood sampling? Anterior interosseus nerve injury by venepunctureA I Zubairy
University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Postgrad Med J 78:625. 2002..The risk is, however, minimal for venous cannulation. A case is reported of an injury to the anterior interosseus nerve sustained during venepunture for routine blood sampling at the cubital fossa...
- Intermittent short saphenous vein phlebotomy: an effective technique of relieving venous congestion in the distally based sural artery flapChin Ho Wong
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Plast Surg 58:303-7. 2007..Herein, we present our technique of phlebotomy to relieve flap congestion...
- A comprehensive approach to percutaneous injury prevention during phlebotomy: results of a multicenter study, 1993-1995Francisco Alvarado-Ramy
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:97-104. 2003To examine a comprehensive approach for preventing percutaneous injuries associated with phlebotomy procedures.
- Effect of phlebotomy technique on serum bicarbonate valuesS D Berns
Brown University School of Medicine, Hasbro Children s Hospital Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, USA
Acad Emerg Med 5:40-4. 1998To determine whether the following phlebotomy technique factors result in spuriously low serum bicarbonate values: 1) small needle size, 2) prolonged tourniquet time, and 3) underfilling of Vacutainer tubes.
- A practical guide to venepuncture and blood samplingKatie Scales
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Charing Cross Hospital, London
Nurs Stand 22:29-36. 2008..A period of supervision and assessment of competency is required to consolidate this theoretical knowledge, and practitioners should comply with the policies and procedures of their organisation...
- Venipuncture-induced causalgia: anatomic relations of upper extremity superficial veins and nerves, and clinical considerationsS H Horowitz
Division of Neurology, Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Transfusion 40:1036-40. 2000..However, in 3 of 13 additional patients, the venipunctures were properly performed and atraumatic...
- Evaluation of institutional practices for prevention of phlebotomy-associated percutaneous injuries in hospital settingsMegan Bush Knapp
Prevention and Evaluation Branch, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Infect Control 37:490-4. 2009To reduce the incidence of phlebotomy-related percutaneous injuries (PIs), factors that contribute to these injuries must be identified...
- Determinants of serum ALT normalization after phlebotomy in patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionYusuke Kawamura
Department of Gastroenterology, Toranomon Hospital, 2 2 2 Toranomon, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8470, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:901-6. 2005b>Phlebotomy is performed to reduce excessive iron accumulation in hepatic tissue...
- What happens when cutaneous nerves are injured during venipuncture?Steven H Horowitz
Muscle Nerve 31:415-7. 2005
- Reducing the potential for phlebotomy tourniquets to act as a reservoir for meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusA Leitch
Infection Control, Wishaw General Hospital, Wishaw, NHS Lanarkshire, UK
J Hosp Infect 63:428-31. 2006The contamination rate of phlebotomy tourniquets with meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) was assessed, and it was determined whether this could be reduced by changes in practice or by the use of a physical barrier...
- Effects of phlebotomy and phenylephrine infusion on portal venous pressure and systemic hemodynamics during liver transplantationLuc Massicotte
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hôpital St Luc, Montreal, QC, Canada
Transplantation 89:920-7. 2010A regimen of fluid restriction, phlebotomy, vasopressors, and strict, protocol-guided product replacement has been associated with low blood product use during orthotopic liver transplantation...
- Applying Lean/Toyota production system principles to improve phlebotomy patient satisfaction and workflowStacy E F Melanson
Department of Pathology, Clinical Laboratories Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 132:914-9. 2009Our goals were to improve the overall patient experience and optimize the blood collection process in outpatient phlebotomy using Lean principles...
- Heated lidocaine/tetracaine patch (Synera, Rapydan) compared with lidocaine/prilocaine cream (EMLA) for topical anaesthesia before vascular accessJ Sawyer
Prism Ideas Ltd, Regent House Princes Court, Beam Heath Way, Nantwich, Chesire CW5 7PQ, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:210-5. 2009..The agents were administered at different time periods for local topical anaesthesia before a vascular access procedure...
- Reversibility of hepatic fibrosis in treated genetic hemochromatosis: a study of 36 casesLudivine Falize
Service des Maladies du Foie, CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Hepatology 44:472-7. 2006..If confirmed on larger series, this could modify the ultrasound screening policy of hepatocellular carcinoma in genetic hemochromatosis...
- Repeated phlebotomy augments angiogenesis to improve blood flow in murine ischemic legsItta Kawamura
Dept of Cardiology, Gifu Univ Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H372-8. 2010..We examined the effect of controlled phlebotomy (bloodletting) on blood flow in a mouse ischemic leg model. We ligated the right femoral artery of BALB/c mice...
- The effect of programmed distraction on the pain caused by venipuncture among adolescents on hemodialysisFatemah Alhani
Nursing Department, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Pain Manag Nurs 11:85-91. 2010..This study shows the effect of distraction with a simple, inexpensive, and quick way for decreasing the pain caused by venipuncture. We recommend that the reasons of the intervention's delay in effect be assessed in future studies...
- Reduction of iron stores and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with peripheral arterial disease: a randomized controlled trialLeo R Zacharski
White River Junction VA Medical Center, Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05001, USA
JAMA 297:603-10. 2007..Accumulation of iron in excess of physiologic requirements has been implicated in risk of cardiovascular disease because of increased iron-catalyzed free radical-mediated oxidative stress...
- Pain degree and skin damage during arterio-venous fistula punctureRodolfo Crespo Montero
Nephrology Service, Reina Sofia University Hospital, Cordoba, Spain
EDTNA ERCA J 30:208-12. 2004..2 +/- 3.8, p<0.0001). It is concluded that arteriovenous fistula puncture with the bevel facing downward significantly reduces the degree of pain and the skin lesion at the point of puncture, without increasing the number of punctures...
- Increased erythropoietin elimination in fetal sheep following chronic phlebotomyKevin J Freise
College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, 115 S Grand Ave, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Pharm Res 24:1653-9. 2007..To determine by pharmacokinetic (PK) means the role of erythropoietin-receptor (EPO-R) upregulation in fetuses on the elimination of erythropoietin (EPO)...
- Prevention of secondary stroke and resolution of transfusional iron overload in children with sickle cell anemia using hydroxyurea and phlebotomyRussell E Ware
Duke Pediatric Sickle Cell Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Pediatr 145:346-52. 2004..Transfusions prevent secondary stroke in children with sickle cell anemia (SCA) but also cause iron overload. Alternatives for stroke prophylaxis with effective therapy to reduce iron burden are needed...
- Normalization of elevated hepatic 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine levels in chronic hepatitis C patients by phlebotomy and low iron dietJ Kato
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo 060-8543, Japan
Cancer Res 61:8697-702. 2001..In this study, therefore, we have evaluated whether therapeutic iron reduction (phlebotomy and low iron diet) with a long-term follow-up (6 years) would decrease the hepatic 8-OHdG levels and the risk of ..
- Increased insulin secretory capacity but decreased insulin sensitivity after correction of iron overload by phlebotomy in hereditary haemochromatosisD Abraham
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Diabetologia 49:2546-51. 2006..We therefore determined how these measures change after correction of tissue iron overload...
- Phlebotomy improves histology in chronic hepatitis C males with mild iron overloadMassimo Sartori
Gastroenterology Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Maggiore della Carita, Corso Mazzini, 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 16:596-602. 2010To investigate the usefulness of mild iron depletion and the factors predictive for histological improvement following phlebotomy in Caucasians with chronic hepatitis C (CHC).
- Hepatic stellate cell activation in genetic haemochromatosis. Lobular distribution, effect of increasing hepatic iron and response to phlebotomyG A Ramm
The University of Queensland Department of Medicine, Australia
J Hepatol 26:584-92. 1997..This study examined the relationship between hepatic iron concentration and hepatic stellate cell activation in genetic haemochromatosis...
- Does topical amethocaine gel reduce the pain of venepuncture in newborn infants? A randomised double blind controlled trialA Jain
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 83:F207-10. 2000..Topical amethocaine provides effective pain relief during venepuncture in children, and has been shown to have a local anaesthetic action in the newborn...
- What a drop can do: dried blood spots as a minimally invasive method for integrating biomarkers into population-based researchThomas W McDade
Northwestern University, Department of Anthropology and Cells to Society C2S The Center on Social Disparities and Health at the Institute for Policy Research, 1810 Hinman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Demography 44:899-925. 2007..Our objective is to provide investigators with the information they need to make informed decisions regarding the appropriateness of blood spot methods for their research interests...
- Pain reduction at venipuncture in newborns: oral glucose compared with local anesthetic creamMaria Gradin
Department of Pediatrics, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Pediatrics 110:1053-7. 2002..The local anesthetic cream EMLA has recently been shown to be safe for use in neonates. This study compared the pain-reducing effect of orally administered glucose with that of EMLA cream during venipuncture in newborns...
- Adrenal vein sampling for primary aldosteronism: the assessment of selectivity and lateralization of aldosterone excess baseline and after adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) stimulationGian Paolo Rossi
DMCS Clinica Medica 4, University Hospital, Via Giustiniani 2, 35126 Padova, Italy
J Hypertens 26:989-97. 2008..Adrenal vein sampling is crucial for identifying the primary aldosteronism subtypes, but the cutoff values for ascertaining selectivity of catheterization and lateralization of aldosterone secretion remain controversial...
- Patient compliance with phlebotomy therapy for iron overload associated with hemochromatosisBret L Hicken
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:2072-7. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate patient compliance with phlebotomy therapy of hemochromatosis-associated iron overload.
- Do blood tests cause anemia in hospitalized patients? The effect of diagnostic phlebotomy on hemoglobin and hematocrit levelsPaaladinesh Thavendiranathan
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Gen Intern Med 20:520-4. 2005To determine whether phlebotomy contributes to changes in hemoglobin and hematocrit levels in hospitalized general internal medicine patients.
- Anemia, transfusion, and phlebotomy practices in critically ill patients with prolonged ICU length of stay: a cohort studyClarence Chant
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, 144 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3M2
Crit Care 10:R140. 2006..This study was performed to characterize anemia, transfusion, and phlebotomy practices in patients with prolonged ICU LOS.
- Suckling- and sucrose-induced analgesia in human newbornsE M Blass
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA
Pain 83:611-23. 1999..3. Grimacing was reduced to almost naught by procedures that essentially eliminated crying and markedly reduced heart rate during the blood harvesting procedure...
- Management of hemochromatosis. Hemochromatosis Management Working GroupJ C Barton
Southern Iron Overload Disorders Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35209, USA
Ann Intern Med 129:932-9. 1998..Therapeutic phlebotomy is used to remove excess iron and maintain low normal body iron stores, and it should be initiated in men with ..
- The role of endogenous opioids in mediating pain reduction by orally administered glucose among newbornsMaria Gradin
Department of Pediatrics, Orebro University Hospital, S 701 85 Orebro, Sweden
Pediatrics 115:1004-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to obtain deeper knowledge of the underlying mechanism by investigating whether administration of an opioid antagonist would reduce the effect of orally administered glucose at heel stick among term newborns...
- Additional effect of low iron diet on iron reduction therapy by phlebotomy for chronic hepatitis CFumiaki Kimura
Department of Internal Medicine, Tamano Municipal Hospital, Tamano City, Okayama, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 52:563-6. 2005Iron-induced oxidative stress plays an important role in the pathogenesis of chronic hepatitis C. Both phlebotomy for removing body iron stores and low iron diet for minimizing portal iron supply to the liver have been shown to improve ..
- Recruitment rates and fear of phlebotomy in pediatric patients in a genetic study of epilepsyDennis J Dlugos
Division of Neurology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Epilepsy Behav 6:444-6. 2005..Sixteen of thirty-one patients (52%) who refused cited fear of phlebotomy as the reason for refusal...
- Reversible severe hereditary hemochromatotic cardiomyopathyT A Madani
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario
Can J Cardiol 13:391-4. 1997....
- Phlebotomy improves therapeutic response to interferon in patients with chronic hepatitis C: a meta-analysis of six prospective randomized controlled trialsTusar K Desai
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:815-22. 2008Prospective randomized controlled trials (RCTs) comparing phlebotomy and interferon (IFN) treatment to IFN alone in patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) have suggested a benefit for the phlebotomy group...
- Effects of phlebotomy therapy on cytochrome P450 2e1 activity and oxidative stress markers in dysmetabolic iron overload syndrome: a randomized trialF Laine
Centre d Investigation Clinique INSERM 0203, CHU Pontchaillou, 35033 Rennes, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:1207-13. 2006..To assess the effects of iron removal on cytochrome P450 2E1 activity and oxidative stress in dysmetabolic iron overload syndrome...
- Stroke volume monitored by modeling flow from finger arterial pressure waves mirrors blood volume withdrawn by phlebotomyPascal Leonetti
Unite de Pharmacologie Clinique, INSERM E107, 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France
Clin Auton Res 14:176-81. 2004..Twelve patients with asymptomatic hereditary hemochromatosis, undergoing regular phlebotomy therapy, volunteered for the study. An average volume of 375 ml was withdrawn in an average period of 6.4 min...
- Phlebotomy: a promising treatment for chronic hepatitis CNaoki Tanaka
J Gastroenterol 39:601-3. 2004
- Serum prohepcidin concentration: no association with iron absorption in healthy men; and no relationship with iron status in men carrying HFE mutations, hereditary haemochromatosis patients undergoing phlebotomy treatment, or pregnant womenMark A Roe
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, UK
Br J Nutr 97:544-9. 2007..Serum prohepcidin is not a useful biomarker for clinical or research purposes...
- Iron deficiency due to excessive therapeutic phlebotomy in hemochromatosisJ C Barton
Southern Iron Disorders Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am J Hematol 65:223-6. 2000..However, iron supplementation is unnecessary and not recommended for the mild, self-limited anemia and decreased serum iron and ferritin concentrations encountered after initial iron depletion therapy for hemochromatosis...
- Impact of blood cultures drawn by phlebotomy on contamination rates and health care costs in a hospital emergency departmentRita M Gander
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9073, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1021-4. 2009..By utilizing phlebotomists to collect blood cultures in the ED, contamination rates were lowered to recommended levels, with projected reductions in patient charges of approximately $4.1 million per year...
- Pharmacodynamic analysis of changes in reticulocyte subtype distribution in phlebotomy-induced stress erythropoiesisNidal H Al-Huniti
College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 32:359-76. 2005..distribution (high, medium and low reticulocytes count (HR, MR, LR)) measured by flow cytometry following phlebotomy-induced stress erythropoiesis (abruptly dropping hemoglobin to 3-4 g/dl over 4-5 hr) and the pharmacodynamic (PD)..
- Iron, Metabolic Regulation and Type 2 Diabetes RiskDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..or chelation in the Obese mouse, and replicated the findings in humans in a pilot study of the effects of phlebotomy in pre-diabetes (impaired glucose tolerance)...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYAsoka Srinivasan; Fiscal Year: 2010..demographics, psychosocial inventories, medical history, anthropometry, resting and ambulatory blood pressure, phlebotomy and 24-hour urine collection, ECG, echocardiography, and pulmonary function...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..demographics, psychosocial inventories, medical history, anthropometry, resting and ambulatory blood pressure, phlebotomy and 24-hour urine collection, ECG, echocardiography, and pulmonary function...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..demographics, psychosocial inventories, medical history, anthropometry, resting and ambulatory blood pressure, phlebotomy and 24-hour urine collection, ECG, echocardiography, and pulmonary function...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2013
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHerman Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Modifiers of hepcidin expression as new therapies for iron overloadPAULA GOODMAN FRAENKEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current therapy for these conditions includes serial phlebotomy (hemochromatosis) or chelation therapy (thalassemia), both of which are associated with poor patient compliance ..
- Endothelial Dysfunction and the RV in the Multi-Ethnic Study of AtherosclerosisSteven M Kawut; Fiscal Year: 2010..In 2000-2001, 5099 MESA participants underwent baseline cardiac MRI in addition to multiple other measures and phlebotomy. In 2006-2007, a random sample of 1720 patients are slated to undergo repeat cardiac MRI...
- Thoroughfare Channels in CBF Autoregulation at High ICPEdwin M Nemoto; Fiscal Year: 2009..by either increasing ICP by "mock" cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) infusion or lowering arterial blood pressure by phlebotomy. A third group of 20 rats will be studied as time controls without alterations in CPP throughout...
- ZIP Proteins and Iron MetabolismMitchell D Knutson; Fiscal Year: 2012..suggests that it plays a role in hepatic iron deposition during iron overload, and its upregulation in liver by phlebotomy and iron deficiency suggests that it functions in iron uptake...
- Iron reduction by phlebotomy for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetesDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..adjunct treatment for type 2 diabetes and prediabetes that was developed and validated by us in animal models: Phlebotomy to reduce iron stores...
- Analysis and Characterization of Trauma-Induced CoagulopathyStephen R Wisniewski; Fiscal Year: 2013..These terminal events observed in phlebotomy blood of TIC patients are caused by in vivo processes involving the proteins, cells and cytokines in blood and ..
- Optimization of XMRV and other MLV-related virus detection for screening of bloodGraham Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2012..high-throughput screening of blood donors, where screening results are ideally required less than 24 hours after phlebotomy. Thus, we will investigate a multitude of techniques in order to achieve similar results to delayed processing, ..
- Studies on Serial Phlebotomy in Voluntary Blood DonorsStuart D Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that serial phlebotomy is associated with improved vascular function related to physiological and biochemical effects of iron removal ..
- Molecular Pathogenesis & Therapy in JAK2 V617F Myeloproliferative DiseaseVirginia Zaleskas; Fiscal Year: 2009..Current therapy for these MPDs is also inadequate, ranging from phlebotomy and myelosuppressive therapy for PV and ET, to transfusions and supportive care for CIMF...
- Molecular Pathogenesis &Therapy of JAK2 V617F-induced Myeloproliferative DiseaseRichard A Van Etten; Fiscal Year: 2012..Current therapy for these MPDs is also inadequate, ranging from phlebotomy and myelosuppressive therapy for PV and ET, to transfusions and supportive care for CIMF...
- Mitochondrial Genetics in Prostate Cancer Health DisparityJohn A Petros; Fiscal Year: 2012..All individuals with missense mutations will be contacted for further phlebotomy and the establishment of lymphoblast cell lines that will allow us to "capture" these mtDNA mutations and ..
- Stroke with Transfusions Changing to HydroxyureaRussell E Ware; Fiscal Year: 2010..hydroxyurea can prevent stroke recurrence in children with SCA, and after transfusions are discontinued, serial phlebotomy reduces iron burden...
- Genetic Modifiers of Iron Status in Hemochromatosis HFE C282Y HomozygotesGordon D McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2011..prevalence of non-expressors with hemochromatosis;(2) The mechanism underlying low iron re-accumulation after phlebotomy treatment;and (3) The spectrum of disease expression and clinical manifestations of iron overload...
- Stroke with Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (SWITCH) Trial Data CoordinatingRonald W Helms; Fiscal Year: 2010..iron overload, and can prevent acute vaso-occlusive events in SCA, after transfusions are discontinued, serial phlebotomy reduces iron burden...
- Diagnostic Assay for ThrombocytosisDmitri V Gnatenko; Fiscal Year: 2010..to develop a simplified, sensitive, and reliable diagnostic assay to discriminate ET from RT using routine phlebotomy followed by platelet transcript profiling...
- Integrated Nanofluidic BioMEMS for Biomedical Diagnostics and AnalysisEmil P Kartalov; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such systems would also use finger-prick amounts of sample, eliminating the need for phlebotomy and the danger of hematomas, as well as making blood tests more accessible to pediatric patients, particularly ..
- Development of next-generation ThrombelastographsGABRIEL RAVIV; Fiscal Year: 2013..The sample size and testing complexity require personnel who can perform phlebotomy, are able to pipette, and who are trained in QC and other lab procedures...
- ERYTHROPOIETIN THERAPY IN RENAL FAILUREJOSEPH ESCHBACH; Fiscal Year: 1991..1) Removal of inhibitors by dialysis (if specific erythropoietic inhibitors can be confirmed in vitro); 2) phlebotomy induced hypoxemia; 3) desferrioxamine removal of aluminum from marrow tissue; 4) human Ep-rich plasma (ERP) into ..
- Genetic Linkage Analysis of Barrett's EsophagusYvonne Romero; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have already collected blood specimens from 54 probands and 194 relatives. Endoscopy and phlebotomy remains to be completed in 55 relatives to fully inform our linkage analysis...
- Role of NIX in Erythroid MaturationPAUL NEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..examine erythrocyte survival, to suppress erythropoiesis through hypertransfusion, and to stress the mice with phlebotomy and phenylhydrazine...
- INHIBITION OF INTESTINAL HEME IRON ABSORPTIONJERRY BOMMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Present treatments for iron overload syndromes include phlebotomy (in non-anemic cases) and subcutaneous continuous infusions of deferoxamine...
- HEMOCHROMATOSIS--GENETIC PREVALENCE AND PENETRANCEPRADYUMMA PHATAK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Early diagnosis and institution of phlebotomy treatments will prevent disease manifestations and normalize life expectancy...
- COOPERATIVE STUDY OF POLYCYTHEMIA VERALouis Wasserman; Fiscal Year: 1980..Amongst the major objectives of these studies will be 1) to investigate the use of anti-aggregating agents plus phlebotomy in preventing thrombosis in polycythemia vera, 2) to determine the best available form of treatment (drugs, ..
- Painless Microsampling System for Total Hemoglobin and Hematocrit MonitoringBrian Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2007..pediatric and neonatal patients by eliminating the problems of pain and sample volume associated with current phlebotomy techniques...
- Complications of elevated transferrin-iron saturationKris Kowdley; Fiscal Year: 2004..Early identification of persons affected by hemochromatosis is important because iron depletion by phlebotomy can prevent the long-term complications of hemochromatosis, which include liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A SALIVA HOMOCYSTEINE ASSAY SYSTEMTimothy Carlson; Fiscal Year: 1999..The additional advantages of salivary analyte tests are that they are non- invasive, convenient and avoid costly phlebotomy. Preliminary results from this laboratory indicate that homocysteine rapidly disappears from fresh whole saliva, ..
- INHIBITION OF INTESTINAL HEME IRON ABSORPTIONJC BOMMER; Fiscal Year: 2000..Chelation therapy has been used with limited success, phlebotomy is usually required for severe iron overload...
- Room Temp Susceptometry For Hepatic Iron MeasurementKris Kowdley; Fiscal Year: 2006..Iron depletion by phlebotomy or chelation can mobilize excess body iron stores and improve outcomes...
- Blood Markers of Mobile Source Particle ExposureEric Garshick; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Phlebotomy and study recruitment sites will be located in Teamster union halls near large trucking terminals in Chicago, IL ..
- HEMOCHROMATOSIS--MECHANISMS AND NOVEL THERAPIESLawrie Powell; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the former this should reduce or even abolish the requirement for prolonged phlebotomy therapy which is time-consuming, expensive and often poorly tolerated by patients...
- DIABETES IN HEMOCHROMATOSIS: PREVALENCE AND MECHANISMSDonald McClain; Fiscal Year: 2006..Reversibility of the defect will be examined after subjects have undergone phlebotomy. The hypothesis will be verified in studies of isolated islets from mice carrying disrupted or mutant HFE genes...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASEDavid Coultas; Fiscal Year: 1992..collection will include an interveiwer- administered symptoms questionnaire, abstracted medical record data, phlebotomy for measurement of serum percipitins, and evaluation of available chest x-rays and biopsy materials by a panel ..
- DIABETES IN HEMOCHROMATOSIS: PREVALENCE AND MECHANISMSDonald McClain; Fiscal Year: 2007..2. Determine whether phlebotomy will reverse the full phenotype of HH, i.e...
- Change in Bone, Arthritis, Function: Hormones & ObesityMaryFran Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2009..Annual assessments will include BMD, measures of physical functioning, phlebotomy and urine collection to allow assessment of hormones and inflammation markers...
- ERYTHROID EFFECTS OF RADIATION IN THE 1.0 R RANGEJOSEPH GONG; Fiscal Year: 1980..the splenic colonies of subralethally irradiated mice, a study of the possible pathologic effects triggered by phlebotomy in rats previously exposed to low-dose X-rays, as well as a study on the effects of chronic exposure with low ..
- UTILIZATION AND OUTCOME OF NEEDLE EXCHANGE IN WOMEN IDUSJosiah Rich; Fiscal Year: 1999..Baseline and two six-month follow-up interviews and phlebotomy will be performed.
- CLONING OF THE HEMOCHROMATOSIS LOCUSChristopher Bowlus; Fiscal Year: 2000..Early diagnosis and treatment with phlebotomy prevents these sequelae...
- A PLASMA COLLECTION DEVICE FOR RED CELL CONSERVATIONMichael Jaeger; Fiscal Year: 2000..The proposed device will decrease the incidence of phlebotomy-related anemia by providing plasma for those diagnostic tests that do not require red blood cells...
- HEMOGLOBIN GAMMA-CHAIN GENES--EVOLUTION & INDUCIBILITYPETER NUTE; Fiscal Year: 1980..Animals will be followed throughout the course of anemic episodes produced by phlebotomy and administration of phenylhydrazine, and it is anticipated that the results of these studies will provide ..
- IN UTERO METHADONE EXPOSURE IN THE RHESUS MONKEYSandra Snook; Fiscal Year: 1992..Placentas will be collected at term and processed for tissue culture and immunohistochemical studies. Phlebotomy will be performed on the offspring at several postnatal ages and parameters of humoral and cell-mediated ..
- OPTIMAL STUDY AND CONTROL OF PHARMACOKINETIC SYSTEMSRoger Jelliffe; Fiscal Year: 1990..quantitatively the effects of the uncertainties in preparation of doses, laboratory assays, ward management, and phlebotomy schedules upon the precision with which a patient's serum drug concentrations can be controlled...
- GENTLE METHOD OF PHLEBOTOMY AND ASSAYWilson Smart; Fiscal Year: 2000..In addition, its ease of use makes it attractive for home health care, nursing homes, and self testing. ..
- WSU COMMUNITY PROGRAMS FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH ON AIDS (CPLawrence Crane; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ambulatory care clinic is located on the same floor as the academic and clinical research office. A phlebotomy station within the clinic makes it convenient for both patients and the research staff to obtain protocol ..
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..
- EVALUATING USE OF GENETIC INFORMATION: A MODEL PROCESSWylie Burke; Fiscal Year: 2003..5. To conduct an evaluation of the model process within a large health care system. ..
- Pulmonary Hypertension and the Hypoxic Response in SCDVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 3. Using micro array analysis and high throughput genotyping, examine patterns of gene expression and candidate gene polymorphisms of the HIF-mediated hypoxic response in SCD and CP patients with and without PHTN. ..
- HYPERTENSION, RISK FOR HYPERTENSION AND HYPOALGESIAChristopher France; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information could be used to identify the best candidates for behavioral and other risk reduction efforts. ..