Genomes and Genes
blood specimen collection
Summary: The taking of a blood sample to determine its character as a whole, to identify levels of its component cells, chemicals, gases, or other constituents, to perform pathological examination, etc.
Publications260 found, 100 shown here
- Stability of genomic DNA in dried blood spots stored on filter paperSumonta Chaisomchit
National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:270-3. 2005..However, DNA quality for amplification of larger DNA fragments decreased when the specimens were stored for longer than 10 years...
- Dried blood spot methods in therapeutic drug monitoring: methods, assays, and pitfallsPeter M Edelbroek
SEIN, Epilepsy Institute, Heemstede, The Netherlands
Ther Drug Monit 31:327-36. 2009..However, its benefits must be weighed against the degree of potential errors introduced via the sampling method; there is evidently a need for more standardization, quality assurance, basic research, and assay development...
- Dried blood spots for HIV-1 drug resistance and viral load testing: A review of current knowledge and WHO efforts for global HIV drug resistance surveillanceSilvia Bertagnolio
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS Rev 12:195-208. 2010....
- Haemolysis: an overview of the leading cause of unsuitable specimens in clinical laboratoriesGiuseppe Lippi
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:764-72. 2008....
- Impact of blood collection devices on clinical chemistry assaysRaffick A R Bowen
Department of Pathology, Stanford University, 300 Pasteur Drive, Room H1507 B, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Clin Biochem 43:4-25. 2010..This review will identify sources of exogenous substances in blood specimens and propose methods to minimize their impact on clinical chemistry assays...
- Pre-analytical effects of blood sampling and handling in quantitative immunoassays for rheumatoid arthritisXiaoyan Zhao
Crescendo Bioscience, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, United States
J Immunol Methods 378:72-80. 2012..These results illustrate the importance of characterizing pre-analytical methodology, sample type, sample processing and handling procedures for clinical testing in order to ensure test accuracy...
- An unusual case of a primary blood collection tube with floating separator gelMassimo Daves
Clinical Biochemical Laboratory, San Maurizio Regional Hospital, Via L Boehler 5, Balzano, Italy
J Clin Lab Anal 26:246-7. 2012..The aspiration of gel along with the sample matrix might also spuriously modify the test results, since an inappropriate amount of serum or plasma would be analyzed...
- A new methodology to preserve the original proportion and integrity of cell-free fetal DNA in maternal plasma during sample processing and storageM R Fernando
Research and Development Division, Streck Inc, La Vista, NE 68128, USA
Prenat Diagn 30:418-24. 2010..To develop a standardized blood collection device that preserves fetal cell-free DNA and minimizes the cell-free DNA background in maternal plasma...
- Evaluation of the Becton-Dickinson rapid serum tube: does it provide a suitable alternative to lithium heparin plasma tubes?Goce Dimeski
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:651-7. 2010..Although lithium heparin plasma has unique problems, it has become an alternative in hospital-based laboratories...
- Dried blood spots are a useful tool for quality assurance of rapid HIV testing in Kigali, RwandaP Chaillet
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Medical Department, Brussels Operational Center, Belgium
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:634-7. 2009....
- Optimizing the yield and utility of circulating cell-free DNA from plasma and serumXiaoyan Xue
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Clin Chim Acta 404:100-4. 2009..We therefore evaluated different aspects of laboratory protocols for the processing and purification of CFDNA in clinical studies...
- Dried fluid spots for HIV type-1 viral load and resistance genotyping: a systematic reviewRaph L Hamers
PharmAccess Foundation, Center for Poverty related Communicable Diseases, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Antivir Ther 14:619-29. 2009..This report reviews the current evidence for their utility...
- The effect of freezing, thawing, and short- and long-term storage on serum thyrotropin, thyroid hormones, and thyroid autoantibodies: implications for analyzing samples stored in serum banksTuija Männistö
Clin Chem 53:1986-7. 2007
- Genotyping whole-genome-amplified DNA from 3- to 25-year-old neonatal dried blood spot samples with reference to fresh genomic DNAMads Vilhelm Hollegaard
Section of Neonatal Screening and Hormones, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Electrophoresis 30:2532-5. 2009..Based on these results we conclude that DBS samples should be considered a reliable and potential resource for future genotyping studies...
- An improved, simple screening method for detection of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiencyIndah S Tantular
Tropical Disease Center and Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
Trop Med Int Health 8:569-74. 2003..As the new method is both qualitative and quantitative, it is possible to express G6PD activity as increase of NADPH concentration by reading absorbance at 460 nm after incubation for 30 or 60 min...
- Preanalytical variables and off-site blood collection: influences on the results of the prothrombin time/international normalized ratio test and implications for monitoring of oral anticoagulant therapyJohanna H H van Geest-Daalderop
Thrombosis Service, Department of Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry and Haematology, Jeroen Bosch Hospital, s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 51:561-8. 2005..We assessed the effect on PT/INR of preanalytical variables, including ones related to off-site blood collection and transportation to a laboratory...
- PCR assay in malaria diagnosis using filter paper samples from Jazan region, Saudi ArabiaSaeed A Al-Harthi
Department of Medical Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Umm Al Qura University, Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 38:693-706. 2008..PCR sensitivity decreased by using DNA extracted from filter-paper compared to microscopy and whole blood PCR. But the DNA isolated from filter paper detected parasites in many microscopy negative samples...
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is unaffected by multiple freeze-thaw cyclesDiana M Antoniucci
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Clin Chem 51:258-61. 2005
- Dried blood spots for the diagnosis and quantitation of HIV-1: stability studies and evaluation of sensitivity and specificity for the diagnosis of infant HIV-1 infection in ThailandW Leelawiwat
The Thai Ministry of Public Health U S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Collaboration, Nonthaburi, Thailand
J Virol Methods 155:109-17. 2009..These results show that DBS can be used accurately instead of whole blood for the diagnosis of HIV-1 infection and VL quantitation, particularly if samples are appropriately stored...
- Solution densities and estimated total protein contents associated with inappropriate flotation of separator gel in different blood collection tubesRonald C Faught
Clinical Laboratory, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:1081-4. 2011..In automated analytical systems, gel flotation can lead to mechanical disruption and potential inaccurate result reporting upon aspiration into instrument sampling probes...
- High-sensitivity enzyme immunoassay for C-reactive protein in dried blood spotsThomas W McDade
Laboratory for Human Biology Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Clin Chem 50:652-4. 2004
- Evaluation of a new generation of plastic evacuated blood-collection tubes in clinical chemistry, therapeutic drug monitoring, hormone and trace metal analysisJean Marie Boeynaems
Laboratory of Medical Chemistry, Department of Clinical Pathology, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:67-71. 2004..These studies demonstrate that VENOSAFE PET tubes are a suitable alternative to glass tubes...
- Comparison of glucose determinations on blood samples collected in three types of tubesGeling Li
Department of Pathology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, 11209, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 43:278-84. 2013..These results suggest that red-top tubes with serum separator or grey-top tubes with a fluoride glycolysis inhibitor may be used for reproducible glucose determinations. ..
- The analysis of dried blood spot samples using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometryBrian G Keevil
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University Hospital of South Manchester, UK
Clin Biochem 44:110-8. 2011..Calibration of assays and the problems with matrix matching of standards are also important issues that need to be addressed before an assay can be used routinely...
- Effect of specimen anticoagulation on the measurement of circulating platelet-derived growth factorsRobert Zimmermann
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Hemostaseology, University Hospital Erlangen, Friedrich Alexander University, Germany
Clin Chem 51:2365-8. 2005
- Commercial enzyme immunoassay adapted for the detection of antibodies to hepatitis C virus in dried blood spotsHayley A Croom
National Serology Reference Laboratory, 4th Floor, Healy Building, 41 Victoria Parade, Melbourne, VIC 3065, Australia
J Clin Virol 36:68-71. 2006..Consequently, HCV assays are required that produce reliable results using samples derived from DBS...
- Human immunodeficiency virus serotyping on dried serum spots as a screening tool for the surveillance of the AIDS epidemicFrancis Barin
Universite Francois Rabelais, Centre National de Référence du VIH and Inserm Espri EA 3856, Tours, France
J Med Virol 78:S13-8. 2006....
- Use of capillary blood samples as a new approach for diagnosis of Dengue virus infectionSeverine Matheus
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, 23 avenue Pasteur, BP 6010, 97306 Cayenne Cedex, French Guiana
J Clin Microbiol 45:887-90. 2007..Analysis of the viability of viral particles under these conditions may give new insights into the physiopathology of dengue virus infection and the transmission of dengue virus during outbreaks...
- Nursing blood specimen collection techniques and hemolysis rates in an emergency department: analysis of venipuncture versus intravenous catheter collection techniquesGlynnis Lowe
Department of Emergency Medicine, York Hospital, York, PA 17405, USA
J Emerg Nurs 34:26-32. 2008..Our hypothesis was that hemolysis rates of blood specimens differ dependent on the blood collection technique by venipuncture or intravenous catheter draw...
- Evaluation of the BD Vacutainer PST II blood collection tube for special chemistry analytesJeffrey Chance
BD Diagnostics Preanalytical Systems, Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA
Clin Chem Lab Med 47:358-61. 2009..The comparison tubes included the BD Vacutainer Serum Plus Tube, the BD Vacutainer Lithium Heparin Plus Tube, and the BD Vacutainer Lithium Heparin Glass Tube...
- Collecting factors related to the haemolysis of blood specimensLi Fang
Department of Nursing, Kaohsiung Armed Forces General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Clin Nurs 17:2343-51. 2008..The purpose of the study is to explore the collecting factors for the haemolysis of the blood specimens in a regional hospital in South Taiwan...
- Virological surveillance of dengue in Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy, French West Indies, using blood samples on filter paperSeverine Matheus
Laboratoire de Virologie, Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus et Virus Influenza Région Antilles Guyane, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, Cayenne, French Guiana
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:159-65. 2012..This surveillance system offers a low-cost alternative for reinforcing dengue prevention in areas where specialized laboratories do not exist, notably by facilitating the early detection of potentially new dengue serotypes...
- Iodinated contrast media interfere with gel barrier formation in plasma and serum separator tubesTom Spiritus
Department of Laboratory Medicine Clinical Chemistry, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Clin Chem 49:1187-9. 2003
- Evaluation of the filter paper blood collection method for detecting Og4C3 circulating antigen in bancroftian filariasisJ O Gyapong
Health Research Unit, Ministry of Health, Accra, Ghana
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 92:407-10. 1998..The diagnostic performance of the method was consistently low in all but 2 communities (sensitivity = 50.3%). This method of diagnosing filariasis is not suitable for field use in its present form...
- Stability studies of twenty-four analytes in human plasma and serumBobby L Boyanton
Department of Pathology, OU Medical Center, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, PO Box 26307 Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
Clin Chem 48:2242-7. 2002..The stability and stoichiometric changes of analytes in plasma and serum after prolonged contact with blood cells in uncentrifuged Vacutainer tubes were studied...
- Detection of Leishmania in immunocompromised patients using peripheral blood spots on filter paper and the polymerase chain reactionL Campino
Unidade de Leishmanioses Centro de Malária e Outras Doenças Tropicais, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19:396-8. 2000..The results suggest that the polymerase chain reaction can be used with blood spots on filter paper as an initial screening method for immunocompromised patients suspected to have Leishmania infection...
- Incomplete filling of lithium heparin tubes affects the activity of creatine kinase and gamma-glutamyltransferaseG Lippi
U O Diagnostica Ematochimica, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Parma, Italy
Br J Biomed Sci 69:67-70. 2012..3% and 16.6% for the half-draw and low-draw tubes, respectively. These results suggest that short-draw lithium heparin tubes might be unsuitable for testing GGT and CK using specific combinations of reagents and instrumentation...
- Modified indirect hemagglutination test for detection of treponemal antibodies in finger-prick bloodJ L Backhouse
Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 30:561-3. 1992..pallidum and 94.8% with the fluorescent treponemal antibody test. The modified hemagglutination test appears to be a simple and economical test that is suitable for use in large epidemiological surveys for yaws...
- Storing newborn blood spots: modern controversiesLinda Kharaboyan
Centre de recherche en droit public, University of Montreal
J Law Med Ethics 32:741-8. 2004
- Point-of-care method for total white cell count: an evaluation of the HemoCue WBC deviceA Osei-Bimpong
Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Lab Hematol 31:657-64. 2009..4-30.0 x 10(9)/l, except in samples where there are significant numbers of normoblasts or reticulocytes. It is simple to use and provides a valuable advance in the facilities available for POCT in haematology...
- Effects of blood-processing protocols on fetal and total DNA quantification in maternal plasmaR W Chiu
Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, 30-32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, SAR
Clin Chem 47:1607-13. 2001..Such preanalytic factors may also affect other applications of plasma DNA analysis...
- Stabilization of mRNA expression in whole blood samplesLynne Rainen
PreAnalytiX CH c o Becton Dickinson, Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417, USA
Clin Chem 48:1883-90. 2002....
- Changes in concentration of DNA in serum and plasma during storage of blood samplesMonika Jung
Clin Chem 49:1028-9. 2003
- Evaluation of the anticoagulants EDTA and citrate, theophylline, adenosine, and dipyridamole (CTAD) for assessing platelet activation on the ADVIA 120 hematology systemMarion Macey
Department of Haematology, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, United Kingdom
Clin Chem 48:891-9. 2002..Monitoring of platelet activation by the ADVIA 120 Hematology System requires an anticoagulant and protocol that ensures that platelets are sphered and their activation status is not altered artifactually in vitro...
- Methods to increase the percentage of free fetal DNA recovered from the maternal circulationRavinder Dhallan
Ravgen Inc, Columbia, MD 21045, USA
JAMA 291:1114-9. 2004....
- Comparison of indirect immunofluorescence assays for diagnosis of scrub typhus and murine typhus using venous blood and finger prick filter paper blood spotsRattanaphone Phetsouvanh
Wellcome Trust Mahosot Hospital Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Collaboration, Microbiology Laboratory, Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane, Lao People s Democratic Republic
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:837-40. 2009..Because filter paper blood samples do not require sophisticated and expensive storage and transport, they may be an appropriate specimen collection technique for the diagnosis of rickettsial disease in the rural tropics...
- Hepatitis B surface antigenaemia and alpha-foetoprotein detection from dried blood spots: applications to field-based studies and to clinical care in hepatitis B virus endemic areasM Mendy
Medical Research Council Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia, West Africa
J Viral Hepat 12:642-7. 2005..Both research-oriented field studies and routine clinical care may benefit from application of these techniques in resource-limited settings...
- Comparison of blood counts in venous, fingertip and arterial blood and their measurement variationZ W Yang
Morphometric Research Laboratory, North Sichuan Medical College, China
Clin Lab Haematol 23:155-9. 2001..Elevation of total leucocyte count in the fingertip blood was mainly due to the increase of granulocytes. Measurement with venous blood was of better precision than with fingertip or arterial blood...
- Evaluation of the dried blood spot filter paper technology and five testing strategies of HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections in West AfricaRamu Sarge-Njie
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, UK
Scand J Infect Dis 38:1050-6. 2006..The monospecific ELISAs used in this study are no longer in production; currently available differentiating assays need to be tested. DBS are recommended for sentinel surveillance in Africa...
- High specificity of semi-nested multiplex PCR using dried blood spots on DNA Banking Card in comparison with frozen liquid blood for detection of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivaxS Ataei
Department of Medical and Mycology, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Clin Lab Anal 25:185-90. 2011..This study was proposed to compare between DNA Banking Card (DBC) filter papers containing dried finger-prick blood and venipunctured frozen liquid blood...
- Effect of blood collection tubes on total triiodothyronine and other laboratory assaysRaffick A R Bowen
Clinical Chemistry Service, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1508, USA
Clin Chem 51:424-33. 2005..Increased total triiodothyronine (TT(3)) assay results in apparently euthyroid patients triggered an investigation of the effect of blood collection tubes on serum TT(3) and other laboratory assays...
- Newborn screening in JapanKikumaro Aoki
Kagawa Nutrition University, Saitama, Japan
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:80. 2003..Parents pay for sample collection. The program is carried out according to law. A new activity involving screening for Wilson disease now necessitates taking dried blood specimens from children 1-3 years old...
- A comparison of glass and plastic blood collection tubes for routine and specialized coagulation assays: a comprehensive studyAlexander Kratz
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:39-44. 2006..Blood collection tubes made from plastic are beginning to replace glass tubes. Coagulation test results can be influenced easily by preanalytic factors, including exposure to surfaces that activate the clotting cascade...
- Finger-prick blood samples can be used interchangeably with venous samples for CD4 cell counting indicating their potential for use in CD4 rapid testsCalman A MacLennan
Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
AIDS 21:1643-5. 2007..7 and 63.7 cells/microl) for absolute counts and 0.71% (limits of agreement -2.07 and 3.48%) for %CD4/lymphocyte suggesting that finger-prick blood samples can be used interchangeably with venous samples for CD4 cell counting...
- Comparison of soluble thrombomodulin, von Willebrand factor, tPA/PAI-1 complex, and high-sensitivity CRP concentrations in serum, EDTA plasma, citrated plasma, and acidified citrated plasma (Stabilyte) stored at -70 degrees C for 8-11 yearsTorbjörn K Nilsson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Thromb Res 116:249-54. 2005..Indeed, using acidified Stabilyte plasma as the single medium would substantially simplify sampling for many epidemiological studies...
- Evaluation of blood collection tubesBenoit Polack
Thromb Res 119:133-4. 2007
- Serum testosterone quantitation by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: interference from blood collection tubesRun Zhang Shi
Department of Pathology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Clin Biochem 45:1706-9. 2012..We examined a number of commonly used blood collection tubes for the presence of interference and its impact on testosterone quantitation...
- Persistence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype B DNA in dried-blood samples on FTA filter paperChung Chen Li
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:3847-9. 2004..After >4 years of storage at room temperature in the dark our qualitative assay detected virus at a rate similar to that of our initial test (58 of 60, 97%; P = 0.16), suggesting long-term HIV-1 DNA stability...
- Evaluation of three parasite lactate dehydrogenase-based rapid diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Epicentre, Paris, France
Malar J 8:241. 2009..In areas where non-falciparum malaria is common rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) capable of distinguishing malaria species reliably are needed. Such tests are often based on the detection of parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pLDH)...
- Finger-prick blood collection and computer-assisted enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for large-scale serological studies on leprosyS Chanteau
Institut Territorial de Recherches Medicales Louis Malarde, Papeete, Tahiti
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 83:414-6. 1989..Using the method described, as many as 300 samples can be collected in the field and 480 ELISAs per day can be run in the central laboratory by one trained person...
- Evaluation of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and 2 antibodies detection in dried whole blood spots (DBS) samplesAndréa Cauduro de Castro
Programa de Pós Graduação em Patologia, Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Visconde do Herval 472, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 50:151-6. 2008..6%, the positive predictive value was 99.5% and negative predictive values were 100%. The results demonstrated high performance characteristics, opening a new perspective of dried whole blood spot utilization in HIV screening diagnosis...
- Dried venous blood samples for the detection and quantification of measles IgG using a commercial enzyme immunoassayMichaela A Riddell
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory VIDRL WHO Western Pacific Measles Regional Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne, 3051 Victoria, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 81:701-7. 2003..To determine whether samples of dried venous blood (DVB) were an acceptable alternative to serum for detecting measles-specific IgG in a commercial enzyme immunoassay...
- A simple method for extraction and purification of genomic DNA from dried blood spots on filter paperSumonta Chaisomchit
National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:641-5. 2003..Therefore, the method is efficient and appropriate for the extraction and purification of genomic DNA from dried blood specimens, which has become an increasingly important tool for genetic and epidemiological studies...
- Performance of evacuated blood collection tubes at high altitudeMeaghan J Macnutt
School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
High Alt Med Biol 9:235-7. 2008..With foresight and proper planning, these problems can be avoided, and evacuated blood collection tubes can still be used safely and effectively at high altitude...
- Blood specimen collection methods influence the concentration and the diagnostic validity of matrix metalloproteinase 9 in bloodK Jung
Department of Urology, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Clin Chim Acta 314:241-4. 2001..To clarify whether the sampling process also influences the diagnostic validity of MMPs, MMP-9 measurements were performed in plasma and serum samples of patients with prostate carcinoma and renal cell cancer...
- A randomized trial of 2% chlorhexidine tincture compared with 10% aqueous povidone-iodine for venipuncture site disinfection: Effects on blood culture contamination ratesGompol Suwanpimolkul
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, PhraramIV Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Infect 56:354-9. 2008..Skin antiseptics can prevent blood culture contamination. To our knowledge, there have been no randomized studies to compare 2% alcoholic chlorhexidine and 10% aqueous povidone-iodine for venipuncture site disinfection...
- Preanalytical venous blood sampling practices demand improvement--a survey of test-request management, test-tube labelling and information search proceduresOlof Wallin
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Clin Chim Acta 391:91-7. 2008..In the present study, we aimed to survey preanalytical steps in venous blood sampling, prior to actual sample collection. These steps included test-request management and test-tube labelling, as well as information search procedures...
- Release of the angiogenic cytokine vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) from platelets: significance for VEGF measurements and cancer biologyR E Banks
ICRF Cancer Medicine Research Unit, St James s University Hospital, Leeds UK
Br J Cancer 77:956-64. 1998..e.g. wound healing, and in tumour metastasis, when platelets adhering to circulating tumour cells may release VEGF at points of adhesion to endothelium, leading to hyperpermeability and extravasation of cells...
- Patient-centred care--preanalytical factors demand attention: a questionnaire study of venous blood sampling and specimen handlingO Wallin
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 67:836-47. 2007..This survey of preanalytical procedures was designed to identify sources of error and potential targets for quality improvement strategies...
- Is the test result correct? A questionnaire study of blood collection practices in primary health careJohan Söderberg
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Eval Clin Pract 16:707-11. 2010..The present study was designed to investigate venous blood sampling (VBS) practices in primary health care centres (PHCs) compared with clinical laboratory staff...
- Evaluation of blood collection tubes using selected reaction monitoring MS: implications for proteomic biomarker studiesSarah A Randall
Department of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Proteomics 10:2050-6. 2010..This study provides useful information for researchers contemplating blood collection for undertaking protein biomarker studies...
- Skin antisepsis kits containing alcohol and chlorhexidine gluconate or tincture of iodine are associated with low rates of blood culture contaminationBarbara W Trautner
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:397-401. 2002..We assessed blood culture contamination rates associated with the use of skin antisepsis kits containing either 2% alcoholic chlorhexidine gluconate or 2% alcoholic tincture of iodine...
- Glycolysis inhibitors negatively bias blood glucose measurements: potential impact on the reported prevalence of diabetes mellitusW S Waring
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Roche Products, Welwyn Garden City, UK
J Clin Pathol 60:820-3. 2007..One of these involves addition of glycolysis inhibitors, such as sodium fluoride-potassium oxalate (NaF-KOx) to sample collection tubes, whereas the other requires immediate refrigeration and sample separation...
- Effectiveness of Chloraprep in reduction of blood culture contamination rates in emergency departmentDwayne Tepus
Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio 44304, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 23:272-6. 2008..Adoption of this technique throughout our institution is expected to result in a savings of 875000 dollars per year, as well as decreased discomfort for the patient...
- Acute hepatitis B outbreaks related to fingerstick blood glucose monitoring in two assisted living facilitiesCatherine A Counard
Communicable Disease Control Unit, Cook County Department of Public Health, Oak Park, Illinois, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:306-11. 2010..To establish the etiology for outbreaks of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infections at two assisted living facilities (ALFs) and devise appropriate control measures...
- Blood culture contamination rates after skin antisepsis with chlorhexidine gluconate versus povidone-iodine in a pediatric emergency departmentLauren Marlowe
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:171-6. 2010..To determine blood culture contamination rates after skin antisepsis with chlorhexidine, compared with povidone-iodine...
- Comparison of chlorhexidine and tincture of iodine for skin antisepsis in preparation for blood sample collectionJoan Barenfanger
Laboratory Medicine, Memorial Medical Center, Springfield, Illinois 62781, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2216-7. 2004..7%; for chlorhexidine, it was 3.1%. The 0.41% difference is not statistically significant. Chlorhexidine has comparable effectiveness and is safer, cheaper, and preferred by staff, so it is an alternative to iodine tincture...
- Incident reporting practices in the preanalytical phase: Low reported frequencies in the primary health care settingJohan Söderberg
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:731-5. 2009..However, the practical use of incident reports in this area has not been previously investigated in the primary health care setting, where the majority of the patients come in contact with health care...
- Stabilization of glucose in blood specimens: mechanism of delay in fluoride inhibition of glycolysisLeann M Mikesh
Clin Chem 54:930-2. 2008
- Effects of a pneumatic tube system on routine and novel hematology and coagulation parameters in healthy volunteersAlexander Kratz
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:293-6. 2007..The effects of specimen transport through a pneumatic tube system on laboratory results obtained with such modern instruments are unclear...
- Preanalytical errors in primary healthcare: a questionnaire study of information search procedures, test request management and test tube labellingJohan Söderberg
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Clin Chem Lab Med 47:195-201. 2009..This study investigated information search procedures, test request management and test tube labelling in primary healthcare compared to the same procedures amongst clinical laboratory staff...
- Skin antiseptics in venous puncture-site disinfection for prevention of blood culture contamination: systematic review with meta-analysisD Caldeira
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Lisbon, Portugal
J Hosp Infect 77:223-32. 2011..The association of alcohol and povidone-iodine did not seem to be useful. Alcoholic chlorhexidine solutions reduced blood culture false positives compared with aqueous povidone-iodine...
- Dried blood spots, pharmacokinetic studies and better medicines for childrenHitesh C Pandya
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Leicester, Robert Kilpatrick Clinical Sciences Building, Infirmary Square, Leicester, UK
Bioanalysis 3:779-86. 2011..This article discusses the potential for dried blood spot sampling to offer a solution to this issue...
- Comparison of IsoCode STIX and FTA Gene Guard collection matrices as whole-blood storage and processing devices for diagnosis of malaria by PCRK J Zhong
Centre for Travel and Tropical Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth St, M5G 2C4 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 39:1195-6. 2001..However, the detection of mixed infections was suboptimal (IsoCode was 42% sensitive, and FTA was 63% sensitive)...
- DBS sampling can be used to stabilize prodrugs in drug discovery rodent studies without the addition of esterase inhibitorsCelia J D'Arienzo
Department of Pharmaceutical Candidate Optimization, Bristol Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ, USA
Bioanalysis 2:1415-22. 2010..Dried blood spots (DBS) sampling may offer an alternative prodrug stabilization method for sample collection and storage from rodent studies in drug discovery...
- Logistics and quality control for DNA sampling in large multicenter studiesR J Nederhand
Gaubius Laboratory, TNO Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 1:987-91. 2003..From these results we conclude that transport of non-frozen blood by ordinary mail is usable and practical for DNA isolation for polymerase chain reaction in clinical and epidemiological studies...
- Facilitating pharmacokinetic studies in children: a new use of dried blood spotsParul Patel
School of Pharmacy, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
Arch Dis Child 95:484-7. 2010..In this article, we review the DBS technique for performing pharmacokinetic studies and highlight issues that still need to be addressed to establish DBS as a method for performing pharmacokinetic studies in children...
- Simultaneous measurement of 25 inflammatory markers and neurotrophins in neonatal dried blood spots by immunoassay with xMAP technologyKristin Skogstrand
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Chem 51:1854-66. 2005..The small amount of blood available, however, limits the number of analytes that can be determined by traditional immunoassay methodologies...
- Implementation of universal newborn bloodspot screening for sickle cell disease and other clinically significant haemoglobinopathies in England: screening results for 2005-7A Streetly
NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening Programme, King s College London School of Medicine, Division of Health and Social Care Research, London, UK
J Clin Pathol 62:26-30. 2009..Potentially it also offers important lessons for Africa where the World Health Organization is supporting the introduction of newborn screening...
- Use of tandem mass spectrometry for multianalyte screening of dried blood specimens from newbornsDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Screening, PO Box 219, 90 Emerson Lane, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Clin Chem 49:1797-817. 2003....
- Influences of blood sample processing on low-molecular-weight proteome identified by surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometryRosamonde E Banks
Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Clin Chem 51:1637-49. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the potential influence of selected preanalytical factors on the results obtained...
- Storage policies and use of the Danish Newborn Screening BiobankB Nørgaard-Pedersen
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:530-6. 2007..The Danish NBS-Biobank has been used in several research projects for aetiological studies of a number of disorders, recently employing new sensitive multiplex technologies and genetic analyses utilizing whole-genome amplified DNA...
- Comparing whole-genome amplification methods and sources of biological samples for single-nucleotide polymorphism genotypingJi Wan Park
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin Chem 51:1520-3. 2005
- Direct multiplex assay of enzymes in dried blood spots by tandem mass spectrometry for the newborn screening of lysosomal storage disordersMichael H Gelb
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 29:397-404. 2006..Several enzymes can be analysed by a single method (multiplex analysis) and in a high-throughput manner appropriate for newborn screening laboratories...
- Determination of oseltamivir (Tamiflu®) and oseltamivir carboxylate in dried blood spots using offline or online extractionKatja Heinig
F Hoffmann La Roche AG, Pharma Research, Nonclinical Drug Safety, Development DMPK Department, Grenzacherstrasse 124, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Bioanalysis 3:421-37. 2011..Hence, its feasibility was investigated using a previously developed column-switching LC-MS/MS method...
- Determination of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid in dried blood spots using a simple GC-MS method with direct "on spot" derivatizationAnn Sofie M E Ingels
Laboratory of Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Anal Bioanal Chem 398:2173-82. 2010..Our procedure, utilizing the novel approach of direct "on spot" derivatization followed by analysis with GC-MS, proved to be reliable, fast, and applicable in routine toxicology...
- Detection of herpes simplex virus DNA in dried blood spots making a retrospective diagnosis possibleIlona Lewensohn-Fuchs
Department of Immunology, Microbiology and Pathology, Division of Clinical Virology, Karolinska Institutet, F 68 Huddinge University Hospital, 14186 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Virol 26:39-48. 2003....
- Direct multiplex assay of lysosomal enzymes in dried blood spots for newborn screeningYijun Li
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Clin Chem 50:1785-96. 2004..We describe a multiplex screening method for all five lysosomal enzymes that uses newborn-screening cards containing dried blood spots as the enzyme source...
- Whole genome amplification and genetic analysis after extraction of proteins from dried blood spotsMads V Hollegaard
Clin Chem 53:1161-2. 2007
- Comparison of capillary blood sampling using an automated incision device with and without warming the heelMarianne Janes
The Children s Hospital, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, ON, Canada, and School of Nursing, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Perinatol 22:154-8. 2002..To determine if heel warming prior to heelstick increases the volume of blood collected compared to no warming...
- Modified PAXgene method allows for isolation of high-integrity total RNA from microlitre volumes of mouse whole bloodJ A Krawiec
Cardiovascular Center for Excellence in Drug Discovery, Department of Vascular Inflammatory Diseases, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, 709 Swedeland Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Lab Anim 43:394-8. 2009..The successful isolation of total RNA from small volumes of mouse whole blood can allow for serial sampling on the same animals, thereby reducing the number of animals required for experimentation...
- Utilizing Saliva to Measure Bone TurnoverSreenivas Koka; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that our results will identify how salivary biomarkers can be used to assess the osseo-status of patients with, or at risk for, osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Increasing HCV Knowledge & Service Use in Drug Tx PgmsShiela Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2007..In its manualized form, successful elements of the training will be disseminated to programs nationwide ..
- Methods for Promoting Public Dialogue on the Use of Residual Newborn Screening SaJEFFREY ROBERT BOTKIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The project also will compare 3 methods of obtaining public input on this important set of issues. The project is directly relevant to policies in public health departments that affect virtually every newborn in the country. ..
- Natural history of acute and chronic HCV in blood donorsMichael Busch; Fiscal Year: 2008..These investigations will yield important insights into HCV pathogenesis and clarify the natural history of disease for the large number of HCV infected persons identified through donor screening. ..
- Aromatase Inhibitor in Males with Adrenal HyperplasiaKyriakie Sarafoglou; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validity of Preschool Disruptive Behavior DisordersKATHRYN KEENAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..If DSM-IV diagnoses of ODD and CD are valid for preschoolers, then etiologic and prevention research must focus on the first years of life. ..
- CNS specific Knock-out and Multidrug TransportRODNEY HO; Fiscal Year: 2006..The potential benefits to overall biomedical research outweigh the calculated risks associated with this exploratory research. ..
- Inflammation and Infection as Risk Factors in StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2006..Nationally recognized experts in stroke epidemiology and basic vascular biology will serve as mentors for these studies. ..
- Metabolic effects of chemical interactions in toxicityDean Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Metabolic analysis in human sulfur amino acid deficiencyDean Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., 300 samples/day with a flow cell), results will show whether this approach could be useful for nutritional assessment of complex metabolic effects of SAA intake. ..
- Conference-Safeguarding Adult/Pediatric Stem Cell DonorsEdward Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2004..This Symposium would address the need for such Standards and stimulate the process. AIM 3 will be to publish a summary of the Symposium in a nationally recognized Journal. ..
- REFERENCE LABORATORY TO EVALUATE THERAPIES FOR SCDToshio Asakura; Fiscal Year: 2004..This enhances the likelihood of finding potentially clinically useful compounds. ..
- Longitudinal Cancer-Specific Serum Protein SignaturesBrian Haab; Fiscal Year: 2006..The successful demonstration of the approach to prostate cancer diagnostics will signal its potential usefulness for all types of biomarker studies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Defining Secreted Glycan Alterations in Pancreatic CancerBrian Haab; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research could lead to significantly improved blood tests for the detection of cancer, as well as a powerful, generally- applicable platform for studying carbohydrate alterations on multiple proteins. ..
- CVD Predictors of Cognitive Function Trajectory over 20 YearsElizabeth L Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information is important given the aging of the population, the fact that CVD risk factors are modifiable, and because the maintenance of cognitive function is an essential component of healthy aging. ..
- Natural History and Pathogenesis of WNV in Viremic Dono*Michael Busch; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Exploring Attitudes About Data Disclosure and Data-Sharing in Genomics ResearchSusanne Haga; Fiscal Year: 2008..The success of large-scale genomics research initiatives will depend on the support and participation of the public and therefore, their views are critically important to obtain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of an ABO Incompatibility Stop Device (AISD)Christopher Hillyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..If the unit is not compatible, the transfusion is not allowed to proceed. This should stop all mistransfusion and the related deaths. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reconstitution of Protective CMV Immunity and Immune Regulation After HAARTAdriana Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..These analyses will define the role of TREG in the inadequate CMV immune reconstitution of HAART recipients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inflammatory and Infectious Burden and Risk of StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2008..The cross-sectional associations between inflammatory and infectious markers and quantitative MRI abnormalities will also be assessed. ..
- Preadolescent Precursors to Depression in GirlsKATHRYN KEENAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Preventing Adverse Reactions in Novice Blood DonorsChristopher R France; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because we are working directly with the American Red Cross, our findings can be quickly translated into practice. ..
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older MenElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. ..
- MICROASSAYS FOR ENZYME ACTIVITYWilson Smart; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Conference on Drug Against Tropical Protozoan ParasitesMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2002..We consider the poster sessions that occur throughout our meeting to be just as important as the collection of lecture presentations. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PROTEIN PRENYLATIONMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Endogenous/Exogenous Sex Hormones & CHD Risk FactorsElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2003..These observations may aid in deciding whether individual women should use HRT and, if so, which regimen would provide the most benefit with the least risk. ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINEJeffrey McCullough; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PILOT TRIAL IN YOUNG PATIENTS WITH IGA NEPHROPATHYRonald Hogg; Fiscal Year: 2002..From these pilot data, we will determine if a full- scale clinical trial is justified and feasible. if this is the case, a competitive renewal application will be submitted to the NIH. ..
- Growth Hormone Secretory Dynamics in Peripubertal GirlsSteven Pincus; Fiscal Year: 2002..In particular, collaborations with pharmaceutical companies who manufacture growth hormone. ..
- PREVENTING HIV INFECTION THROUGH BEHAVIOR CHANGEMichael Carey; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- REGULATION OF HEPATOCELLULAR FUNCTION BY GROWTH HORMONESusan Berry; Fiscal Year: 2002..1 gene expression, defining the IL-6 response element and the nuclear factors binding to Spi 2.1 in response to IL-6 with comparison to the GH response, thereby furthering understanding of the specificity of the Spi 2.1 response to GH. ..
- Aptamer Chips for Clinical Monitoring of Target ProteinsWilson Smart; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INFANT DYSREGULATION--RISK FACTOR FOR PSYCHOPATHOLOGYKATHRYN KEENAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Ultimately the candidate will test the hypothesis that treatment of early signs of dysregulation will prevent the development of mental disorders in children. ..
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO IMPROVE AND EXTEND PLATELET STORAGESherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- PCR Screening for CMV in Umbilical Cord Blood Stem CellsChristopher Hillyer; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Novel Approaches to the Assessment of Oral Mucosal Immu*Theresa Whiteside; Fiscal Year: 2003..A better understanding of oral immunity in normal and HIV-infected mucosa is important for the development of new antiviral therapies, including oral antiviral vaccines. ..
- HYPERTENSION, RISK FOR HYPERTENSION AND HYPOALGESIAChristopher France; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information could be used to identify the best candidates for behavioral and other risk reduction efforts. ..
- MULTIPLEX ANALYSIS OF INBORN ERRORS OF METABOLISMMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms and clinical effects of microchimerism in transfused trauma patientsMICHAEL PAUL BUSCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..TA-MC also offers an opportunity to better understand, and potentially exploit, injury-induced tolerance for future therapeutic purposes. ..
- DNA-Based Vaccines for Oral CarcnomaTheresa Whiteside; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN OSTEOPOROSISElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Kinetic Biomarker for CLL PrognosisScott Turner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- High fat feeding and intramyocellular lipid abnormalityZengKui Guo; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the proposed research will improve the understanding of the mechanism of insulin resistance and imcTG abnormalities in the obese rat that will benefit investigation of human obesity. ..
- Improving informed consent in Alzheimer disease researchJason Karlawish; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will also begin to elucidate how experts make judgments of competency. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Folate Polymorphisms, Dietary Folate and Prostate CancerVictoria Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study are expected to indicate the importance of folate for prostate cancer and whether changing folate consumption can modify the risk associated with genetic variants in the pathway for folate metabolism. ..
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry systemAdrian Franke; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BIOCHEMICAL STUDIES OF 14 KDA PHOSPHOLIPASES A2Michael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will contribute to our fundamental understanding of how mammalian cells initiate the eicosanoid cascade. ..
- Levels of Inflammatory Markers in Treatment of StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Consent Methods and Participation in Geriatric Clinical ResearchJason Karlawish; Fiscal Year: 2009..These results will assist researchers and proxies in conducting subject-centered informed consent discussions. ..
- Effect of Antioxidants on Inflammatory Markers and FMVDChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Potential mechanism(s) of impaired pulsatile insulin secretion and action in TypeALEKSEY MATVEYENKO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim 3 will be undertaken with the additional guidance of Dr. Morris White at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Role of Prolactin in the Etiology of Postmenopausal Breast CancerShelley Tworoger; Fiscal Year: 2008..This potentially may affect public health by increasing our understanding of how breast cancer develops, which in turn can lead to a better understanding of how to prevent this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Benefits & Risks of Popular Weight Loss DietsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2003..The data generated from this preliminary/feasibility study will be used to strengthen the proposal and design of a future full-scale study. ..
- COMMUNITY EQUIPOISE AND THE ETHICS OF CLINICAL RESEARCHJason Karlawish; Fiscal Year: 2002..Karlawish advanced training in bioethics scholarship. Other sponsors include experts in clinical trial design, Alzheimers Disease research and empirical research in research ethics. ..
- ALA & EPA/DHA (w-3) Effects On Inflammatory Markers in Insulin Resistant AdultsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2007..The adults with the metabolic syndrome selected for this study are those that are at increased risk of heart disease, and those most likely to be benefit from the different therapies tested. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fusion Proteins As Probes of P450 Structure and FunctionRichard Auchus; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this approach might be generally applicable to structural studies of membrane-bound proteins. ..
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF RISK FACTORS FOR WILMS TUMORAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide important new advances in our understanding of Wilms tumor given the study size, quality of exposure assessment, and incorporation of clinical and biological markers of etiologic heterogeneity. ..
- Gene Environment Interaction in Head and Neck CancerAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study should contribute knowledge on gene-environment interactions for cancer of the head and neck, but also for other tobacco- and alcohol-related cancers and possibly cancers of unknown etiology. ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION TRIAL OF VENOUS THROMBOSISPaul Ridker; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Bio-Psych Stress Measure Associations and Preterm BirthGwen Latendresse; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THROMBOTIC, INFLAMMATORY & GENE MARKERS OF CVD IN WOMENPaul Ridker; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Comparing Effects of 3 Sources of Garlic on Serum LipidsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The comprehensive approach taken in this study will provide important evidence for both the public and for health professionals as to whether fresh garlic or garlic supplements have beneficial effects on serum lipids. ..