episode of care
Summary: An interval of care by a health care facility or provider for a specific medical problem or condition. It may be continuous or it may consist of a series of intervals marked by one or more brief separations from care, and can also identify the sequence of care (e.g., emergency, inpatient, outpatient), thus serving as one measure of health care provided.
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Pathways to care in first episode psychosisK Etheridge
Rotherham Mental Health Services, and Rotherham Service User Monitoring Team, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 11:125-8. 2004..This survey has given a local context to findings from national and international research studies. This will enable us to set up a local service which is responsive to the views and needs of service users and carers in Rotherham...
- Evaluation of restorative care vs usual care for older adults receiving an acute episode of home careMary E Tinetti
JAMA 287:2098-105. 2002..Illness and hospitalization often trigger functional decline among older persons. Home care services implemented for functional decline provide an opportunity to intervene to improve outcomes...
- Hospital episodes and physician visits: the concordance between self-reports and medicare claimsFredric D Wolinsky
Iowa City VA Health Care System, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Med Care 45:300-7. 2007..Health services use typically is examined using either self-reports or administrative data, but the concordance between the 2 is not well established...
- The costs of cardiorespiratory disease episodes in a study of emergency department useA H Anis
Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC
Can J Public Health 91:103-6. 2000..The average per person direct cost of illness of cardiorespiratory disease episodes was estimated based on a prospective study of emergency department visits...
- Revisiting the concept of 'chronic disease' from the perspective of the episode of care model. Does the ratio of incidence to prevalence rate help us to define a problem as chronic?Jean K Soler
Faculty of Life and Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
Inform Prim Care 20:13-23. 2012..We studied the duration of EoCs for acute and chronic health problems and the relationship of incidence to prevalence rates for these EoCs...
- Correlates of perceived malarial episodes and treatment-seeking behavior in a malaria-endemic rural area in BangladeshS M Hossain
Health and Nutrition Program, Save the Children UK, Bangladesh Program Dhaka
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:707-19. 2001..There is a need to raise awareness about prevention and appropriate management of malarial episodes...
- Effect of mental health specialty care on antidepressant length of therapyT W Croghan
Health Outcomes Evaluation Group, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Med Care 37:AS20-3. 1999..We sought to determine the costs and length of medication treatment consequences of providing mental health specialty care to antidepressant-treated individuals...
- Physical therapy treatment choices for musculoskeletal impairmentsA M Jette
Sargent College of Allied Health Professions, Boston University, MA 02215, USA
Phys Ther 77:145-54. 1997..The primary goal of this investigation was to describe outpatient physical therapy treatments provided to patients with lumbar, cervical, or knee impairments...
- Use patterns for antipsychotic medications in medicaid patients with schizophreniaJ S McCombs
Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 60:5-11; discussion 12-3. 1999..We investigated the use patterns for antipsychotic medications generated by Medicaid patients with schizophrenia...
- [Detailed data collection regarding the utilization of medical services, morbidity, course of illness and outcomes by episode-based documentation in general practices within the CONTENT project]G Laux
Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Abteilung Allgemeinmedizin und Versorgungsforschung, Heidelberg, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 69:284-91. 2007....
- External validation of EPICON: a grouping system for estimating morbidity rates using electronic medical recordsMarion C J Biermans
Department of Medical Informatics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:770-5. 2008..To externally validate EPICON, a computerized system for grouping diagnoses from EMRs in general practice into episodes of care. These episodes can be used for estimating morbidity rates...
- Economic profiling of physician specialists: use of outlier treatment and episode attribution rulesJ William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME 04101 9300, USA
Inquiry 43:271-82. 2006..No consistent combination of outlier methodology and episode attribution rule was found to be superior for identifying cost-inefficient physicians...
- Beyond administrative data: characterizing cardiorespiratory disease episodes among patients visiting the emergency departmentD M Stieb
Department of Emergency Medicine, Atlantic Health Sciences Corporation
Can J Public Health 91:107-12. 2000..9-5.4) for asthma to 6.6 (95% CI 5.9-7.4) for respiratory infections. Our data assist in interpreting epidemiological studies based on administrative data, and illustrate the broad impacts of cardiorespiratory disease episodes...
- The CONTENT project: a problem-oriented, episode-based electronic patient record in primary careGunter Laux
Department of General Practice and Health Services Research, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Inform Prim Care 13:249-55. 2005..Aside from maintaining a morbidity registry, within the CONTENT framework various prospective and retrospective studies on particular epidemiological and health economic research topics will be conducted...
- Nonmelanoma skin cancer: an episode of care management approachTamara S Housman
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine and Center for Dermatology Research, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Dermatol Surg 29:700-11. 2003..It is the most common form of cancer in the United States, more common than all other cancers combined. To determine the contributors to the cost of NMSC care, an episode of care of NMSC needed to be defined.
- Should episode-based economic profiles be risk adjusted to account for differences in patients' health risks?J William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, ME 04101 9300, USA
Health Serv Res 41:581-98. 2006....
- Diabetes in Canada: direct medical costs of major macrovascular complicationsJ A O'Brien
Caro Research, 336 Baker Avenue, Concord, MA 01742, USA
Value Health 4:258-65. 2001..To estimate direct medical costs of managing major macrovascular complications in diabetic patients...
- A comparison of hospital readmission rates between two general physicians with different outpatient review practicesHugh C Rayner
Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull NHS Trust Teaching, Birmingham, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 2:12. 2002..Many of these patients suffer with chronic conditions requiring continuing medical attention. We wished to determine whether conventional outpatient clinic follow up after discharge has any impact on the rate of readmission to hospital...
- The clinician's role in Medicare Prospective Payment. Part 3-visits per episode: are you controlling utilization?Pamela Teenier
Medicare Operations, Gentiva Health Services, Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 23:256-9. 2005
- Prospective rates for episodes of home health carePaul L Grimaldi
State Healthcare Division of Affiliated Computer Services, Inc, Rockville, MD, USA
J Health Care Finance 28:63-75. 2002....
- Organizational and client determinants of cost in outpatient substance abuse treatmentAaron Beaston-Blaakman
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 10:3-13. 2007..Such analyses can inform those who are responsible for setting appropriate reimbursement rates and can give important cost data to program directors responsible for delivering cost-effective treatment...
- Average cost of VA rehabilitation, mental health, and long-term hospital staysWei Yu
VA HSR and D Health Economics Resource Center, Stanford University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 60:40S-53S. 2003..Encounter-level costs were then calculated by multiplying the average per diem cost by the number of days of stay in the fiscal year. The national cost estimates are more reliable than the local cost estimates...
- The economic burden of supportive care of cancer patientsLinda S Elting
Department of Biostatistics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Support Care Cancer 12:219-26. 2004..The goal of this study was to estimate these costs and to explore the impact of these costs on policy decisions...
- Direct medical cost of managing deep vein thrombosis according to the occurrence of complicationsJudith A O'Brien
Caro Research Institute, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 20:603-15. 2002..While efficacy and safety remain the principal basis for choosing a therapy, the economic consequences of that choice should be considered as well...
- Using average cost methods to estimate encounter-level costs for medical-surgical stays in the VATodd H Wagner
VA HSR and D Health Economics Resource Center, Stanford University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 60:15S-36S. 2003..They discuss the method's limitations and application in other health care systems...
- 2008 refinements to the Medicare Home Health Prospective Payment SystemPamela Teenier
Medicare Operations, Gentiva Health Services, Corpus Christi, TX 78418, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 26:181-4. 2008....
- Hospital in the home is cost saving for appropriately selected patients: a comparison with in-hospital careC Raina MacIntyre
National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Int J Qual Health Care 14:285-93. 2002..The heterogeneous nature of HITH and the clinical complexity of patients is the greatest obstacle to making valid comparisons between the two modes of care...
- Discharge or episode of care?Cherilyn G Murer
Murer Group, Joliet, IL, USA
Rehab Manag 18:59-60, 66. 2005
- Use of psychotherapy for depression in older adultsWenhui Wei
Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research, Rutgers University, 30 College Ave, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:711-7. 2005....
- The clinician's role in Medicare prospective payment: Part 1--Basic termsPamela Teenier
Medicare Operations, Gentiva Health Services, Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 22:526-8. 2004
- Ranking the correlates of psychotherapy durationVictor Goldenberg
Operations Analysis Department, Jewish Board of Family and Children s Services, New York, NY 10019, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 29:201-14. 2002..Results of the study suggest that different factors may emerge as the most important correlates of the number of treatment sessions, depending on whether dropouts, completers, or both are included in the sample...
- Associations among processes and outcomes of care for Medicare nursing home residents with acute heart failureEvelyn Hutt
Division of Health Care Policy and Research, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, 80206, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 4:195-9. 2003....
- Factors influencing patients' length of stayY Liu
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Australia
Aust Health Rev 24:63-70. 2001..It was concluded that the limited explanation was a consequence of a lack of a better indicator of severity within DRGs...
- Seniors' need for and use of Medicare home health servicesAnn O Hubbert
Orvis School of Nursing, University of Nevada Reno, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 21:19-34. 2002....
- The medical treatment of depression, 1991-1996: productive inefficiency, expected outcome variations, and price indexesErnst R Berndt
MIT and NBER, Boston, MA 02127, USA
J Health Econ 21:373-96. 2002..Based on hedonic regression equations that account for the effects of changing patient mix, we find reductions that range from about -1.66 to -2.13% per year...
- Mental health service use by patients with dysthymic disorder: treatment use and dropout in a 7 1/2-year naturalistic follow-up studyBrian R McFarland
Psychology Department, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2500, USA
Compr Psychiatry 46:246-53. 2005..Younger patients, ethnic minority patients, and patients with personality disorders may be at increased risk of dropping out from treatment for depression. Combination treatments may increase treatment retention...
- Continuity of antidepressant treatment for adults with depression in the United StatesMark Olfson
New York State Psychiatric Institute Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:101-8. 2006..The authors sought to characterize the rate and pattern of antidepressant discontinuation among adults initiating antidepressant treatment for depression...
- Cost of managing an episode of relapse in multiple sclerosis in the United StatesJudith A O'Brien
Caro Research Institute, Concord, MA 01742, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 3:17. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the direct medical US cost of managing multiple sclerosis relapses...
- A proposal for future funding of chronic and episodic mental illness. 1986John A Talbott
Psychiatr Serv 55:1145-9. 2004
- Physical therapy interventions for patients with stroke in inpatient rehabilitation facilitiesDiane U Jette
Physical Therapy Program, Simmons College, 300 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Phys Ther 85:238-48. 2005..The purpose of this study was to describe physical therapy provided to patients with stroke in inpatient rehabilitation facilities...
- Impact of physician assistant care on office visit resource use in the United StatesPerri A Morgan
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, 3848 DUMC, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1906-22. 2008..To investigate whether the use of physician assistants (PAs) as providers for a substantive portion of a patient's office-based visits affects office visit resource use...
- Dual use of Medicare and the Veterans Health Administration: are there adverse health outcomes?Fredric D Wolinsky
Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Iowa City Health Care System, 601 Highway 6 West, Iowa City, IA52246, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:131. 2006..This article examines whether an indirect measure of dual use based on inpatient services is associated with increased mortality risk...
- Family perspectives on end-of-life care at the last place of careJoan M Teno
Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
JAMA 291:88-93. 2004..Over the past century, nursing homes and hospitals increasingly have become the site of death, yet no national studies have examined the adequacy or quality of end-of-life care in institutional settings compared with deaths at home...
- Hospital management of children with acute asthma exacerbations in Kuwait: adherence to international guidelinesZ Hijazi
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 11:126-30. 2002..To evaluate the in-patient management of children with acute exacerbation of bronchial asthma and its adherence to international guidelines...
- Strategies and tools for improving transcription and documentationEdward A Barreto
University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 62:1-4. 2008..Hospital executives also share their strategies for engaging physicians in these efforts and optimizing technology investments...
- [Cost predictors of depressive inpatient episodes in Germany. The health insurer's point of view]K Stamm
Zentralinstitut fur Seelische Gesundheit, J 5, 68159, Mannheim
Nervenarzt 78:665-71. 2007..Inpatient treatment is the most costly sector of treatment for depressive disorders in Germany. However, little is known about which patient and hospital characteristics contribute to costs of inpatient episodes...
- Initial home health outcomes under prospective paymentRobert E Schlenker
Division of Health Care Policy and Research, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80011, USA
Health Serv Res 40:177-93. 2005..To assess initial changes in home health patient outcomes under Medicare's home health Prospective Payment System (PPS), implemented by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in October 2000...
- Pathways to care in a New Zealand first-episode of psychosis cohortMark Turner
Totara House Early Intervention for Psychosis Service, Canterbury District Health Board, Christchurch, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:421-8. 2006..To present the clinical and sociodemographic characteristics of patients referred to a New Zealand early intervention for psychosis service and to describe the pathways to care for these patients...
- Practice variations in home health careAngela G Brega
Center for Health Services Research, Division of Health Care Policy and Research, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80222, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 22:41-64. 2003..Agency and market characteristics also strongly influenced care practices. Characteristics of the care providers, on the other hand, exerted only minimal influence...
- Financial success under PPS: how to beat the oddsF Kay Hollers
Healthcare Executive Resources of Austin, Texas, USA
Caring 22:12-6. 2003..of a two part series, the author reviews the dimensions of financial success, issues of length of stay and episode of care, resource utilization planning, and reducing overhead...
- Treatment costs and clinical outcome for first episode schizophrenia patients: a 3-year follow-up of the Swedish "Parachute Project" and two comparison groupsJ Cullberg
Department of Psychiatry, R and D Section, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm
Acta Psychiatr Scand 114:274-81. 2006..To evaluate "need-specific treatment" of first episode schizophrenia syndrome patients...
- Using the nursing process to accurately plan the Medicare 60-day episode of care: you really do know how to do this!Kay Hollers
Home Healthc Nurse 22:28-33. 2004
- Rolling back Medicare home healthHarriet L Komisar
Institute for Health Care Research and Policy, Georgetown University, 2233 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Number 525, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Health Care Financ Rev 24:33-55. 2002....
- Self-reported use of mental health services versus administrative records: care to recall?Anne E Rhodes
Department of Psychiatry and Public Health Sciences University of Toronto, Canada
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 13:165-75. 2004..As this study was not able to rule out a recall bias, it further accentuates concerns about the impact of bias in the measurement of mental health-service use and inferences made concerning the determinants of use...
- Water incident related hospital activity across England between 1997/8 and 2003/4: a retrospective descriptive studyHolly Henderson
Research Consultant, Gateshill, Middle Road, Lychett Maltravers, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6HJ, UK
BMC Public Health 6:210. 2006..The purpose of this paper is to examine, the hospital activity resulting from such incidents including to length of stay, gender, age and cause...
- Ten-year health service use outcomes in a population-based cohort of 21,000 injured adults: the Manitoba injury outcome studyC M Cameron
School of Medicine, Griffith University, Meadowbrook, Queensland, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 84:802-10. 2006..To quantify long-term health service use (HSU) following non-fatal injury in adults...
- Describing Chinese hospital activity with diagnosis related groups (DRGs). A case study in ChengduZhiping Gong
School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, LaTrobe University, 29 Barwon Av Reservoir, Bundoora, VIC 3086, Australia
Health Policy 69:93-100. 2004..To examine the applicability of an Australian casemix classification system to the description of Chinese hospital activity...
- Long-term costs of treatment for depression: impact of drug selection and guideline adherenceW H Crown
MEDSTAT Group, Inc, Cambridge, MA, USA
Value Health 4:295-307. 2001..This benefit was achieved without incurring greater total health care expenditures...
- Effect of increased cost-sharing on oral hypoglycemic use in five managed care organizations: how much is too much?Douglas W Roblin
Research Department, Kaiser Permanente, Atlanta, Georgia 30305, and the Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Med Care 43:951-9. 2005..For patients with a chronic disease, increased cost-sharing for medications may lead to unintended consequences, including reduced use of medications essential for control of their disease...
- Risk selection and matching in performance-based contractingMingshan Lu
Department of Economics, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Health Econ 12:339-54. 2003..Using data from the state of Maine, we show that PBC leads to more referrals and better match between illness severity and treatment intensity. Moreover, we find that PBC has a positive but insignificant effect on dumping...
- Relationship between children's dental needs and dental care utilization: United States, 1988-1994Clemencia M Vargas
University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore 21201, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1816-21. 2002..This study describes the relationship between dental needs and dental care utilization among children...
- Trends in antimicrobial prescribing for bronchitis and upper respiratory infections among adults and childrenArch G Mainous
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1910-4. 2003..This study examined antimicrobial prescribing patterns for adults and children with bronchitis or upper respiratory infections (URIs) before and after release of nationally disseminated pediatric practice recommendations...
- Organization and financing of alcohol and substance abuse programs for American Indians and Alaska NativesBentson H McFarland
One Sky Center the American Indian Alaska Native National Resource Center for Substance Abuse, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97239, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1469-77. 2006..We used national data from 1997-2002 to describe recent trends in organizational and financial arrangements...
- Head-and-neck organ doses from an episode of orthodontic carePhilippe Hujoel
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences and Epidemiology, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:210-7. 2008..In this study, we estimated secular changes (1963-2003) in age-specific organ doses associated with orthodontic care and collective organ doses in the United States in 1999...
- Activity cost analysis: a tool to cost medical services and improve quality of careS Udpa
Department of Accounting, School of Economics and Business Administration, Saint Mary's College of California, Moraga, California, USA
Manag Care Q 9:34-41. 2001..system as the appropriate cost accounting system to measure and control costs under the microstatistical episode of care (EOC) paradigm suggested by D. W. Emery (1999)...
- Episodes in action: linking the cost and quality of nonsurgical coronary revascularizationM Pine
Michael Pine and Associates, Inc, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Manag Care Q 9:25-33. 2001..Good sensitivity and specificity were achieved in assessing clinical performance. Financial incentives were found to favor providers of appropriate, effective, and efficient care...
- Economic evaluation of major selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors in a managed care populationP J Panzarino
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, USA
Manag Care Interface 14:59-65. 2001..The higher drug charges observed for fluoxetine resulted in higher total treatment charges compared with paroxetine and sertraline...
- Alcoholism treatment episodes validly defined using mental health care utilization recordsMelanie M Wall
Division of Biostatistics, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Mail Code 303, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:373-80. 2004..We propose a method for defining and empirically validating episodes of alcoholism treatment from health care utilization records...
- Clinician- and organization-level factors in the adoption of evidence-based care for depression in primary careRachel M Henke
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 33:289-99. 2008..We explore organizational and clinician factors affecting patient receipt of guideline-concordant services...
- Hospice effect on government expenditures among nursing home residentsPedro L Gozalo
Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Department of Community Health, Brown University School of Medicine, 2 Stimson Street, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Health Serv Res 43:134-53. 2008..To examine the effect of the Medicare hospice benefit on Medicare and Medicaid expenditures by dual-eligible Medicare-Medicaid nursing home (NH) residents...
- Veterans Health Administration inpatient and outpatient care data: an overviewPatricia A Murphy
VA Information Resource Center, Health Services Research and Development Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Edward Hines, Jr Hospital, Hines, Ill 60141, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:E4. 2002
- An epidemiologic study of episodes of back pain careP G Shekelle
West Los Angeles VAMC, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:1668-73. 1995..physical functioning, and greater pain at base-line all were independently associated with having a back pain episode of care. CONCLUSIONS. Back pain episodes of care occur commonly in the adult U.S...
- Risk adjustment for coronary artery bypass graft surgery: an administrative approach versus EuroSCORECristina Ugolini
Department of Economics, University of Bologna, Italy
Int J Qual Health Care 16:157-64. 2004..To determine the ability of administrative data in predicting in-hospital mortality for patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery...
- The cost of treating genital wartsM J Strauss
Health Technology Associates, Inc, Washington, District of Columbia 20005, USA
Int J Dermatol 35:340-8. 1996..Using the clinical literature, claims databases, and a panel of experienced practitioners, the relative efficacy, cost, and cost effectiveness of five common treatments for genital warts were assessed in this study...
- [The clinical relationship between symptoms and the final diagnosis in general practice, determined by means of posterior probabilities calculated on the basis of the Transition Project]H Lamberts
Academisch Medisch Centrum Universiteit van Amsterdam, divisie Klinische Methoden and Public Health, afd Huisartsgeneeskunde, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:2566-72. 2005..nl), one can calculate posterior probabilities for general practice that provide insight into the clinical significance of the simultaneous occurrence of two events (a symptom and a diagnosis, or two diseases) in general practice...
- Respiratory syncytial virus testing during bronchiolitis episodes of care in an integrated health care delivery system: a retrospective cohort studyVALERIE FLAHERMAN
University of California San Francisco, CA, USA
Clin Ther 32:2220-9. 2010..The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine RSV testing for infants and children with bronchiolitis. The clinical predictors of RSV testing are unknown...
- Modelling strategies for reducing pharmaceutical costs in hospitalC R Macintyre
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Qual Health Care 13:63-9. 2001..To describe drug utilization and cost in a large hospital and to compare the impact of different strategies on cost associated with drug prescribing...
- Antibiotic prescribing for children with nasopharyngitis (common colds), upper respiratory infections, and bronchitis who have health-professional parentsNicole Huang
School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatrics 116:826-32. 2005....
- Estimates of the cost and length of stay changes that can be attributed to one-week increases in gestational age for premature infantsCiaran S Phibbs
Health Economics Resource Center, Center for Health Care Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94025, USA
Early Hum Dev 82:85-95. 2006..The purpose is to provide population-based data that can be used to assess the potential savings of interventions that delay premature delivery...
- Recurrence of low back pain: definition-sensitivity analysis using administrative dataRadoslaw Wasiak
Liberty Mutual Center for Disability Research, Hopkinton, MA 01748, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2283-91. 2003..Retrospective analysis of administrative claims data in a single workers' compensation jurisdiction...
- Issues and biases in matching medicaid pregnancy episodes to vital records data: the Arkansas experienceJanet M Bronstein
School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Matern Child Health J 13:250-9. 2009..This study examines the extent of selection biases identified in the process of linking Medicaid claims with evidence of pregnancy to vital records...
- Novel approaches to incorporating pharmacoeconomic studies into phase III clinical trials for Alzheimer's diseaseH Fillit
The Alzheimer s Drug Discovery Foundation, NY, NY, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 14:640-7. 2010....
- Emergence of fluoroquinolones as the predominant risk factor for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: a cohort study during an epidemic in QuebecJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 41:1254-60. 2005..In 2003, a total of 55% of patients with CDAD at our hospital had received fluoroquinolones in the preceding 2 months. It has been suggested that massive use of proton pump inhibitors might have facilitated this epidemic...
- Do financial incentives linked to ownership of specialty hospitals affect physicians' practice patterns?Jean M Mitchell
Georgetown Public Policy Institute, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Med Care 46:732-7. 2008....
- Antibiotic prescribing by ambulatory care physicians for adults with nasopharyngitis, URIs, and acute bronchitis in Taiwan: a multi-level modeling approachNicole Huang
Department of Health Education, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan
Fam Pract 22:160-7. 2005..Imprudent prescribing of antibiotics in ambulatory care in Asia is of great concern. However, an adequate understanding of factors associated with antibiotic prescribing patterns in Asia has not been achieved...
- Traumatic brain injury hospitalizations of U.S. army soldiers deployed to Afghanistan and IraqBarbara E Wojcik
U S Army Medical Department Center and School, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:S108-16. 2010..This study's objective was to establish benchmark admission rates for U.S. Army soldiers with TBIs identified during deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan...
- Psychiatric out-patients seen once only in South Verona and Western Australia: a comparative case-register studyAlberto Rossi
Department of Medicine and Public Health, Section of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:414-22. 2005..This study examined variables associated with having a once-only contact with the out-patient department of two community mental health services in Italy and Australia...
- Use and cost of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in patients with cancerGregory Daniel
Research Operations, HealthCore, Inc, Wilmington, DE 19801, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:1775-84. 2009..To compare the baseline characteristics, episodes of care, and cost of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents among cancer patients in a US managed-care population...
- A state-wide review of hospital postnatal care in Victoria, Australia: the views and experiences of midwivesJo Anne Rayner
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia, 3086
Midwifery 24:310-20. 2008..to describe midwives' views and experiences of the provision and organisation of hospital-based postnatal care...
- A statewide review of postnatal care in private hospitals in Victoria, AustraliaJo Anne Rayner
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, 324 328 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne Victoria, 3000, Australia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:26. 2010..This provides a more complete overview of the organisational structures and processes in postnatal care in all Victorian hospitals from the perspective of care providers...
- An Australian casemix classification for palliative care: technical development and resultsKathy Eagar
Centre for Health Service Development, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Palliat Med 18:217-26. 2004..To develop a palliative care casemix classification for use in all settings including hospital, hospice and home-based care...
- Bacterial contamination of the hands of hospital staff during routine patient careD Pittet
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Geneva Hospitals
Arch Intern Med 159:821-6. 1999..Cross-transmission of microorganisms by the hands of health care workers is considered the main route of spread of nosocomial infections...
- Hospitalisation of Indigenous children in the Northern Territory for lower respiratory illness in the first year of lifeKerry Ann F O'Grady
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Med J Aust 192:586-90. 2010..To describe the epidemiology of acute lower respiratory infection (ALRI) and bronchiectasis in Northern Territory Indigenous infants hospitalised in the first year of life...
- Postoperative ileus: it costs more than you expectTheodor Asgeirsson
Department of Surgery, Michigan State University, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:228-31. 2010..Accurate data are important to allow pharmaco-economic analysis of methods aimed at reducing POI. The aim of this study was to assess the financial impact of POI for the 30-day episode of care for colectomy.
- Cost-effectiveness of inhaled nitric oxide in the treatment of neonatal respiratory failure in the United StatesDerek C Angus
Clinical Research, Investigation, and Systems Modeling of Acute Illness CRISMA Laboratory, Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Pediatrics 112:1351-60. 2003..Our objective was to estimate the cost-effectiveness ratio of iNO in this population...
- Admission to hospitals with on-site cardiac catheterization facilities :impact on long-term costs and outcomesH M Krumholz
Section of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8025, USA
Circulation 98:2010-6. 1998....
- Improving search filter development: a study of palliative care literatureRuth M Sladek
Flinders University, Bedford Park, South Australia, Australia
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 7:18. 2007..4%). Retrieving relevant literature is integral to support evidence based practice, and understanding the nature of the incorrectly excluded citations (false negatives) using the filter may lead to improvement in the filter's performance...
- e-Consent: The design and implementation of consumer consent mechanisms in an electronic environmentEnrico Coiera
The Centre for Health Informatics, The University of New South Wales, NSW, 2055, Australia
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:129-40. 2004..general denial explicitly denies consent for information to be used in future circumstances, and in each new episode of care, a new consent would be needed to obtain information...
- Trends in NHS primary dental care for older people in England: implications for the futureEleanor R Kleinman
School of Mathematics, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Gerodontology 26:193-201. 2009..To examine trends over time in the National Health Service (NHS) dental service provision for older people in England and consider the implications for future care...
- Work disability and costs caused by recurrence of low back pain: longer and more costly than in first episodesRadoslaw Wasiak
Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety, Center for Disability Research, Hopkinton, MA 01748, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:219-25. 2006..Retrospective analysis of workers' compensation (WC) claims data for nonspecific low back injuries (LBI) in a single jurisdiction...
- Rates of radiologically confirmed pneumonia as defined by the World Health Organization in Northern Territory Indigenous childrenKerry Ann F O'Grady
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Med J Aust 192:592-5. 2010..To determine the burden of hospitalised, radiologically confirmed pneumonia (World Health Organization protocol) in Northern Territory Indigenous children...
- Obesity, Aging, and Cancer Cost (OACC) StudyBenjamin M Craig; Fiscal Year: 2010..New Mexico Tumor Registry, and SEER-Medicare, we will estimate Cox proportional hazard models on the time to episode of care and exponential conditional mean models on the cost of episode to address a timely question in cancer ..
- Effectiveness of an Enhanced Adaptive Continuing Care Model for Cocaine DependencJames R McKay; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Understanding Hospital Efficiency for Inpatient Medical CareLena Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from Aim 2 will provide payers with insight into the impact of quality improvement efforts on costs. ..
- Center for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research at Yale UniversityHARLAN MARC KRUMHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..ICD);to investigate hospital and regional performance using novel measures that focus on a longer episode of care (1-year mortality measures for patients hospitalized with AMI and HF) and population-based hospitalization ..
- Chronic Disease Management SystemDonald E Nease; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cielo New Vision will deliver at its core an episode of care based data structure with components that plug in to deliver specific functions...
- A Wearable "Balance Booster" - Stepping Closer to the MarketLars I E Oddsson; Fiscal Year: 2013..balance cues will attain higher gait speed, Functional Gait Assessment and Balance Confidence following their episode of care when compared to a matched cohort using Walkasins" programmed to vibrate similarly although unrelated to ..
- An empirical investigation into recovery from illicit drug abuse using recurrentBohdan Nosyk; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Understanding Mechanisms of Mental Health Care DisparitiesBENJAMIN LE COOK; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Competition Among Post Acute Care ProvidersNeeraj Sood; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Reducing Disparities in Timely Autism Diagnosis through Family NavigationEmily Feinberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have reframed the model from patient to family navigation and will focus on a defined episode of care, beginning with an abnormal autism screen and ending with the completion of the diagnostic assessment...
- Building Complex Disease Models using Ontologies and Data RepositoriesPETER JOHN HAUG; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will conduct tests to determine whether the combination of these technologies can be used by medical computing systems to aid in the management of disease by advising caregivers at the bedside. ..
- PREDICTORS OF POSTOPERATIVE ATELECTASIS PNEUMONIAJO BROOKS BRUNN; Fiscal Year: 2001..procedures by assessing combinations of risk factors available at differing time periods during the surgical episode of care. Secondary aims are to compare the incidence of clinically significant atelectasis and/or pneumonia following ..
- MEDICAID FINANCING FOR THE SEVERELY MENTALLY ILLDonald Steinwachs; Fiscal Year: 1990..by the SMI, and their costs, and identify factors related to variations in utilization and cost; (3) apply an episode of care framework to examine the relationship of continuity of care and type of care source after hospital discharge ..
- SAFER: Standardizing Admissions For Elderly ResidentsAndrew F Coburn; Fiscal Year: 2011..NF transfer and hospital admission process with missing or inaccurate information may snowball throughout the episode of care. This demonstration will be undertaken by the well-established Maine Critical Access Hospital Patient Safety ..
- Generalizing a valid control procedure for cervical manipulation to a multiple opHOWARD TERRY VERNON; Fiscal Year: 2013..This should improve the evidence base for these treatments. This should improve our knowledge as to the benefit-to-risk ratio for these treatments, thereby improving the care of patients with chronic neck pain. ..
- Minimizing Antibiotic Resistance in Colorado (MARC)Ralph Gonzales; Fiscal Year: 2004..pneumoniae infections in and outside the intervention communities. Specific Aim IIIC: Conduct a net-cost analysis of the different levels of community education. ..
- Re-Exploring Racial Disparities in Hospital CareJay Shen; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed study forms an integrated conceptual framework, based on the concept of episode of care, the behavioral framework of health care use, and the structure-process-outcome triad, to examine the ..
- Improving Otitis Media Care with EHR-based Clinical Decision Support and FeedbackChristopher Forrest; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because OM is such a common disorder in children, the widespread adoption of the results from this project has the potential for affecting lives of millions of children. : ..
- Early Re-Intervention Experiment2(ERI-2)Michael L Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- CHIROPRACTIC: USE, COST AND EFFECTIVENESSPaul Shekelle; Fiscal Year: 1991..An episode of care is defined as a series of temporally contiguous health care services related to treatment of back pain, and ..
- PATTERNS OF REHABILITATION USE FOLLOWING STROKENancy Harada; Fiscal Year: 2001..will contribute towards our current knowledge of how patterns of rehabilitation utilization throughout an episode of care influence clinical outcomes of care...
- DOMS EARLY REINTERVENTION (ERI) EXPERIMENTMichael Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DENTAL FEAR DE6950Peter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 1993..To evaluate, among children for whom an episode of care has been initiated, the effect of dental practice style, net care price, treatment needs, parental dental ..
- QUALITY OF CARE IN AIDS: P. CARINII PNEUMONIADavid Kanouse; Fiscal Year: 1990..The object of study is the "episode of care" for individual patients, including the pre-hospital interval of care and extending 30 days following ..
- Improving Quality via Information TechnologyAVIS HAYDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed safety and EHR project is part of a much larger strategic plan at SVHC to implement a wide range of IT tools throughout the health care system. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PACS INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT-BASED MEDICAL PRACTICEHooshang Kangarloo; Fiscal Year: 2001..These measurements will be facilitated by recording resource utilization, determining of imaging-based episodes of care, and counter- specific information related to a chief complaint. ..
- PACS INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT-BASED MEDICAL PRACTICEHooshang Kangarloo; Fiscal Year: 2004..These measurements will be facilitated by recording resource utilization, determining of imaging-based episodes of care, and counter- specific information related to a chief complaint. ..
- LONG TERM COST EFFECTIVENESS OF DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTSDonald Shepard; Fiscal Year: 1999..1) Develop practical methods for cost analysis that include treatment program, program component, and episode of care costs; (2) Develop multivariate methods for CE analysis that demonstrate the impact of program and client ..
- SAGE KIDS: Measuring Quality Pediatric CareEDWARD BASSIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..built to enhance and expand upon the existing ProfSoft product suite, which provides health plans innovative episode of care-based tools that go beyond the somewhat limited administrative data-based measures in use at many health ..
- PATTERNS AND PREDICTORS OF NURSING HOME READMISSIONDale Lupu; Fiscal Year: 1992..In addition, understanding the risk factors associated with multiple admissions may suggest interventions to reduce unnecessary nursing home use...
- Adverse Outcomes of Dual Use of Health Systems Among Older Male VeteransFREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Continuity of Care and Health Outcomes: Does It Really Matter?FREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IDENTIFICATION OF CLINICALLY RELEVANT CHANGES IN HRQOLFREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Racial Disparities in Diabetes in the US and the UKArch Mainous; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Health and Health Services Use in the HRS/AHEADFREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Linear and non-linear regression and random effects models will also be used where appropriate. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Structure, Process and Outcomes in Cancer SurgeryJohn D Birkmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will then identify the resources and processes of care that account for differences in hospital outcomes, with the ultimate goal of identifying best practices and improving care in all settings. ..
- Modeling Adherence to Psychotherapy for DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed research is one component of an ongoing comprehensive program to understand and increase consumer demand for effective depression treatment. ..
- POPULATION-BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. 12-18 mos) Incremental cost and cost-effectiveness of each intervention program compared to care as usual. ..
- BENEFITS OF REGIONALIZING SURGERY FOR MEDICARE PATIENTSJohn Birkmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators will then estimate the change in mortality, by assuming that the patient will acquire the average predicted mortality for a similar patient at the larger volume hospital. ..
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- Better Surgical Quality Indicators for the ElderlyJohn Birkmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., historical mortality or volume alone). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pilot Trial of Peer Support for Bipolar DisorderGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Dose-Response of Manipulation for Chronic HeadacheMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2006..The second is to estimate dose and efficacy parameters for a larger study for determining the relationship of cervicogenic headache outcomes with the number of treatments. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Fragmentation Across Sites of Geriatric CareEric Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our third aim is to initiate a randomized controlled trial of this intervention. The results of this research will improve our ability to quantify care fragmentation and subsequently measure the effectiveness of a targeted intervention. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Death as a multifactorial cumulative health event in older adultsMary Tinetti; Fiscal Year: 2009..With baby boomers heading into their late years, accurate estimates of the conditions contributing to mortality are essential for health and economic planning. ..
- The impact of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumonia hospitalizationsCARLOS GRIJALVA; Fiscal Year: 2008..We propose the use of NIS and SID for the evaluation of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccination program, using an innovative approach. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Strategies to reduce time to reperfusion therapy for MIHarlan Krumholz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Data generated from these studies will guide efforts by clinicians, administrators, researchers, and policy makers to decrease time to reperfusion therapy for patients with STEMI. ..
- PREDICTING PSYSOCIAL REHABILITATION SERVICE OUTCOMEJohn Brekke; Fiscal Year: 2005..They will have six psychosocial assessments (baseline, 6, 12, 18, 20 and 24 months), and three psychobiological assessments (baseline, 12, and 24 months). ..
- DRUG COURTS AND MEDICAID MANAGED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CAREBentson McFarland; Fiscal Year: 2003..Process measures will include the modality and extent of drug abuse treatment services (as well as information gleaned from chart review). The results will be important for justice system and Medicaid policy makers. ..
- Client and Counselor Attitudes Toward MedicationDennis McCarty; Fiscal Year: 2003..Aim 4. Test the impact of persuasion messages on medication usage attitudes, beliefs, normative beliefs, and attentions among both clients and counselors. ..
- Economics of Formulary Design and Mental Health PolicyHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2006..Huskamp the training, mentoring, time and resources to develop the skills that will put her in a position to lead independent research on the economics of pharmaceutical treatment for mental illnesses. ..
- Economic Analysis of Pulmonary Artery Catheter UseDerek Angus; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Making Alcoholics Anonymous Easier: A Group TSF ApproachLEE KASKUTAS; Fiscal Year: 2007..If effective, MAAEZ should be of wide interest to providers, as it can be rapidly incorporated into existing programs, offering a succinct manual for brief interventions in group-oriented treatment. ..
- Organizational Change to Improve Access and RetentionDennis McCarty; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of Fiber Fermentation on Fecal IncontinenceDonna Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2007..Differences among the measures of the groups after supplementation will be compared after controlling for baseline values of these measures using ANCOVA. ..
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF HMO RESIDENTIAL & OUTPATIENT CARELEE KASKUTAS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The study will confirm treatment content and will identify patient characteristics associated with successful treatment outcomes in each setting. ..
- MD Group Characteristics and Quality of Care for CHDBruce Landon; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Alcohol Interlock and Biomarker Prediction of DUI RiskPaul Marques; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to scientific communication through usual channels, this project will create risk profile guidelines to aid motor vehicle authorities and the courts for using indicator evidence proactively. ..
- Proactive Primary Dementia CareRichard H Fortinsky; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Use of GIS in analyzing environmental cancer risks as a*Robin Harris; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REGIONALIZATION, MARKET FORCES, AND NEONATAL MORTALITYCiaran Phibbs; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..