Genomes and Genes
Summary: Surgical reconstruction of a joint to relieve pain or restore motion.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Internal fixation compared with arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysisMohit Bhandari
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Health Sciences Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1673-81. 2003..for the stabilization of displaced femoral neck fractures remains controversial, with alternatives including arthroplasty and internal fixation...
- Risk factors for incision-healing complications following total ankle arthroplastySteven M Raikin
Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Service, Rothman Institute of Orthopaedics, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 925 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:2150-5. 2010The anterior incision used for the insertion of total ankle arthroplasty systems is at high risk for wound complications, and little has been documented regarding who is at risk for the development of these complications.
- The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register: 11 years and 73,000 arthroplastiesL I Havelin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Haukeland University Hospital, Norway
Acta Orthop Scand 71:337-53. 2000In 1985, the Norwegian Orthopaedic Association decided to establish a national hip register, and the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register was started in 1987. In January 1994, it was extended to include all artificial joints...
- Prosthetic joint infection diagnosis using broad-range PCR of biofilms dislodged from knee and hip arthroplasty surfaces using sonicationEric Gomez
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:3501-8. 2012..Broad-range PCR and culture of sonicate fluid have equivalent performance for PJI diagnosis...
- A mouse model of post-arthroplasty Staphylococcus aureus joint infection to evaluate in vivo the efficacy of antimicrobial implant coatingsNicholas M Bernthal
Orthopaedic Hospital Research Center, Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e12580. 2010Post-arthroplasty infections represent a devastating complication of total joint replacement surgery, resulting in multiple reoperations, prolonged antibiotic use, extended disability and worse clinical outcomes...
- Which are the most frequently used outcome instruments in studies on total ankle arthroplasty?Florian D Naal
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Foot and Ankle Center, Schulthess Clinic, Lengghalde 2, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:815-26. 2010The number of studies reporting on outcomes after total ankle arthroplasty is continuously increasing...
- Anterior cervical discectomy with arthroplasty versus arthrodesis for single-level cervical spondylosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisAria Fallah
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e43407. 2012To estimate the effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with arthroplasty (ACDA) compared to anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (ACDF) for patient-important outcomes for single-level cervical spondylosis.
- Quality-of-life outcome following hemiarthroplasty or total shoulder arthroplasty in patients with osteoarthritis. A prospective, randomized trialIan K Y Lo
Fowler Kennedy Sport Medicine Clinic, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2178-85. 2005Both total shoulder arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty have been used commonly to treat severe osteoarthritis of the shoulder; however, their effect on disease-specific quality-of-life outcome is unknown...
- The NEtherlands Cervical Kinematics (NECK) trial. Cost-effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with or without interbody fusion and arthroplasty in the treatment of cervical disc herniation; a double-blind randomised multicenter studyMark P Arts
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Center Haaglanden, The Hague, The Netherlands
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:122. 2010..We present the design of the NECK trial, a randomised study on cost-effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with or without interbody fusion and arthroplasty in patients with cervical disc herniation.
- Total shoulder arthroplasty: long-term survivorship, functional outcome, and quality of lifeAshwin V Deshmukh
Department of Orthopaedics, Kaiser West Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90034, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:471-9. 2005This study examines long-term outcomes of total shoulder arthroplasty (TSA) via survivorship analysis, patient questionnaires, and minimum 10-year physical examinations...
- Functional outcome after shoulder arthroplasty for primary osteoarthritis: a multicenter studyTom R Norris
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:130-5. 2002Shoulder arthroplasty outcomes have been reported in many case series. Typically, these series have followed either a single prosthesis used to treat a variety of arthritic disorders of the shoulder or experience in a single institution...
- Protective role of IL-1β against post-arthroplasty Staphylococcus aureus infectionNicholas M Bernthal
Orthopaedic Hospital Research Center, Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Orthop Res 29:1621-6. 2011..we hypothesized that IL-1β and TLR2 contribute to MyD88-dependent protective immune responses against post-arthroplasty S. aureus infections. To test this hypothesis, we used a mouse model of a post-arthroplasty S...
- Orthopaedic metals and their potential toxicity in the arthroplasty patient: A review of current knowledge and future strategiesG M Keegan
University of Bristol, Bristol Implant Research Centre, Avon Orthopaedic Centre lower level, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, BS10 5NB, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:567-73. 2007The long-term effects of metal-on-metal arthroplasty are currently under scrutiny because of the potential biological effects of metal wear debris...
- Assessment of adjacent-segment disease in patients treated with cervical fusion or arthroplasty: a prospective 2-year studyJames T Robertson
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 3:417-23. 2005..compared the incidence of radiologically documented changes and symptomatic adjacent-level cervical disc disease after single-level discectomy and subsequent cervical fusion or arthroplasty in two independent prospective clinical studies.
- Changes in adjacent-level disc pressure and facet joint force after cervical arthroplasty compared with cervical discectomy and fusionUng Kyu Chang
Department of Neurosurgery, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, Seoul, Korea
J Neurosurg Spine 7:33-9. 2007..This study was performed to compare adjacent-level IDPs and facet force following arthroplasty with the fusion model.
- The Danish Shoulder Arthroplasty Registry: clinical outcome and short-term survival of 2,137 primary shoulder replacementsJeppe V Rasmussen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Herlev University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Orthop 83:171-3. 2012The Danish Shoulder Arthroplasty Registry (DSR) was established in 2004. Data are reported electronically by the surgeons...
- Single-level cervical radiculopathy: clinical outcome and cost-effectiveness of four techniques of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion and disc arthroplastyArup K Bhadra
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, London HA7 4LP, UK
Eur Spine J 18:232-7. 2009..were--(1) plate and tricortical autograft, (2) plate, cage, and bone substitute, (3) cage only, and (4) disc arthroplasty. The data was collected prospectively according to our protocol and subsequently analyzed...
- The effects of combined gentamicin-hydroxyapatite coating for cementless joint prostheses on the reduction of infection rates in a rabbit infection prophylaxis modelVolker Alt
Department of Trauma Surgery Giessen, University Hospital Giessen Marburg, Rudolf Buchheim Strasse 7, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Biomaterials 27:4627-34. 2006Infections remain a critical issue in total joint arthroplasty. Addition of antibiotics to bone cement was shown to significantly improve antimicrobial prophylaxis in cemented joint arthroplasty...
- Surgical landmarks to determine humeral head retrotorsion for hemiarthroplasty in fracturesA Hempfing
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 10:460-3. 2001..For practical purposes in fracture indications, it is adequate to adjust the retrotorsion of the prosthetic component to the distal bicipital groove...
- The effect of total shoulder arthroplasty on self-assessed health status is comparable to that of total hip arthroplasty and coronary artery bypass graftingRichard S Boorman
Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 6500, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:158-63. 2003The purpose of this study was to assess the impact of total shoulder arthroplasty on the self-assessed health status of a large series of patients with glenohumeral osteoarthritis...
- Lumbar disc arthroplasty with Maverick disc versus stand-alone interbody fusion: a prospective, randomized, controlled, multicenter investigational device exemption trialMatthew F Gornet
The Orthopedic Center of St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63017, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E1600-11. 2011..Randomized, controlled, multicenter, investigational device exemption trial...
- A systematic review of randomized trials on the effect of cervical disc arthroplasty on reducing adjacent-level degenerationRicardo Vieira Botelho
Neurosurgical Service, Hospital do Servidor Público do Estado de São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Neurosurg Focus 28:E5. 2010..Since 2002, cervical disc arthroplasty has been established as an alternative to fusion...
- Biomechanical comparison between lumbar disc arthroplasty and fusionShih Hao Chen
Department of Orthopaedics, Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Med Eng Phys 31:244-53. 2009..In contrast to disc replacement results, the posterior interbody fusion procedure revealed possibly accelerative degeneration of the annulus and facet joint at both adjacent levels...
- A prospective randomised trial of internal fixation versus arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the neck of the femur. Functional outcome for 450 patients at two yearsC Rogmark
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:183-8. 2002..matter of debate whether displaced fractures of the neck of the femur should be treated by internal fixation or arthroplasty. We have compared the two methods with regard to complications, mortality and functional outcome...
- Results of cervical arthroplasty compared with anterior discectomy and fusion: four-year clinical outcomes in a prospective, randomized controlled trialRick C Sasso
Indiana Spine Group, 8402 Harcourt Road, Suite 400, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:1684-92. 2011..S. Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption trial with the use of the Bryan cervical disc arthroplasty compared with anterior cervical discectomy with fusion for treating single-level degenerative cervical disc ..
- Patients are more satisfied than they expected after joint arthroplastyRoy Brokelman
Department of Orthopaedics, Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop Belg 74:59-63. 2008..It appears that patients are not capable of predicting the outcome of the joint arthroplasty, which could be influenced by negative preoperative information on complications and risks...
- Early results of a reverse design prosthesis in the treatment of arthritis of the shoulder in elderly patients with a large rotator cuff tearAziz Boulahia
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Clinique Sainte Anne Lumière, Lyon, France
Orthopedics 25:129-33. 2002Results of shoulder arthroplasty in patients with a deficient rotator cuff often are suboptimal with significant limitations in postoperative active mobility...
- In vitro biomechanics of cervical disc arthroplasty with the ProDisc-C total disc implantDenis J DiAngelo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38103, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E7. 2004An in vitro biomechanical study was conducted to compare the effects of disc arthroplasty and anterior cervical fusion on cervical spine biomechanics in a multilevel human cadaveric model...
- Comparison of the information in arthroplasty registers from different countriesG Labek
Orthopaedic Department, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:288-91. 2008This article considers some of the problems of the interpretation of information from other national arthroplasty registers when setting up a new register...
- Incidence of contraindications to total disc arthroplasty: a retrospective review of 100 consecutive fusion patients with a specific analysis of facet arthrosisDavid A Wong
Advanced Center for Spinal Microsurgery at Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
Spine J 7:5-11. 2007The role of total disc arthroplasty (TDA) in the treatment of spinal pathology is unclear. TDA has been touted as an alternative to fusion. However, not all back pain is purely discogenic in origin. Contraindications to TDA exist...
- Stress shielding and bone resorption in shoulder arthroplastyJochem Nagels
Department of Orthopaedics, Orthopaedic Laboratory, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:35-9. 2003..It was concluded that stress shielding is a long-term complication of shoulder arthroplasty and that the relative stem size is an important factor in its genesis.
- Shoulder arthroplasty for proximal humeral malunions: long-term resultsSamuel A Antuna
Department of Orthopedics, Hospital Alvarez Buylla, Mieres, Asturias, Spain
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:122-9. 2002..shoulders with proximal humeral malunions in 50 patients were treated with hemiarthroplasty or total shoulder arthroplasty and followed up for a mean of 9 years (range, 2-21 years) or until the time of revision surgery...
- Clinical results of conversion total hip arthroplasty after failed bipolar hemiarthroplastySanket R Diwanji
Center for Joint Disease, Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital, Jeonnam, Korea
J Arthroplasty 23:1009-15. 2008Total hip arthroplasty (THA) has been the most common surgery performed for complications of bipolar arthroplasty...
- Unicompartmental osteoarthritis in the active patient: the role of high tibial osteotomyAnnunziato Amendola
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Arthroscopy 19:109-16. 2003
- Arthroplasty with a metal radial head for unreconstructible fractures of the radial headJ K Moro
St. Joseph's Health Care, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1201-11. 2001..There is limited information on the outcome of management of these injuries with arthroplasty with a metal radial head implant...
- Treatment of malignant bone tumours by extracorporeally irradiated autograft-prosthetic composite arthroplastyW M Chen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:1156-61. 2002..In an attempt to reduce these complications, we combined the irradiated autograft with a conventional arthroplasty. Between 1995 and 1998, 14 patients underwent limb salvage by this method...
- Comparison of short-term SF-36 results between total joint arthroplasty and cervical spine decompression and fusion or arthroplastyPaul A Anderson
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin, Madison WI 53792, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:176-83. 2009..Cohort comparison of results of meta-analysis...
- Pelvic support osteotomy in the treatment of patients with excision arthroplastyKhaled Mohamed Emara
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, 13 B Kornesh El Nile, Agha Khan, Cairo, Egypt
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:708-13. 2008..In such cases, the only remaining option is excision arthroplasty. This line of treatment can eradicate the infection but also is associated with poor function...
- Effects of postoperative radiotherapy for temporomandibular joint ankylosis after gap arthroplasty: an animal study using sheepMakoto Takaishi
First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Aichi Gakuin University School of Dentistry, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1763-9. 2010The aim of the present study was to examine the effects of postoperative irradiation on reducing heterotopic bone formation after gap arthroplasty release of temporomandibular joint ankylosis.
- Local and global subaxial cervical spine biomechanics after single-level fusion or cervical arthroplastyMichael A Finn
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Eur Spine J 18:1520-7. 2009..to evaluate the motion segment (C4-C5) and global subaxial cervical spine motion after placement of a cervical arthroplasty device (Altia TDI,Amedica, Salt Lake City, UT) as compared to both the intact spine and a single-level fusion...
- Navigation as a predictor of soft tissue release during 90 cases of computer-assisted total knee arthroplastyDominique Saragaglia
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Sport Traumatology, Greonoble University South Teaching Hospital, Echirolles, France
Orthopedics 29:S137-8. 2006Soft tissue balance during total knee arthroplasty (TKA) procedures may be challenging to achieve in knees with severe valgus or varus deformities...
- Total disc replacement arthroplasty using the AcroFlex lumbar disc: a non-human primate modelBryan W Cunningham
Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital, 201 East University Pkwy, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Eur Spine J 11:S115-23. 2002..analysis of porous ingrowth coverage at the vertebral bone-metal interface was more favorable for total disc arthroplasty compared to historical reports of cementless femoral components...
- Intermediate clinical and radiological results of cervical TDR (Mobi-C) with up to 2 years of follow-upJ Beaurain
Neuro surgery Department, University Hospital, Dijon, France
Eur Spine J 18:841-50. 2009..Regarding the preservation of the status of the adjacent levels, the results of this unconstrained device are encouraging, but longer FU studies are needed to prove it...
- Long-term results of KienbÃ¶ck's disease treated by triscaphe arthrodesis and excisional arthroplasty with a coiled palmaris longus tendonA Minami
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 19:219-28. 1994..with KienbÃ¶ck's disease were treated with scaphotrapeziotrapezoidal arthrodesis and lunate excisional arthroplasty with a coiled palmaris longus tendon replacement...
- Shoulder arthritis in the young adult: arthroscopy to arthroplastyJohn W Sperling
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Instr Course Lect 55:67-74. 2006..Patients treated with shoulder arthroplasty have the youngest average age of all patients who undergo joint arthroplasty...
- Marker-based or model-based RSA for evaluation of hip resurfacing arthroplasty? A clinical validation and 5-year follow-upNina Dyrberg Lorenzen
Orthopaedic Research Unit, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage Hansens Gade 2, Building 10A, office 33, 8000, Aarhus, Denmark
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 133:1613-21. 2013..RSA can be performed as a marker- or model-based analysis. So far, CAD and RE model-based RSA have not been validated for use in hip resurfacing arthroplasty (HRA).
- Functional outcomes of reverse shoulder arthroplasty compared with hemiarthroplasty for acute proximal humeral fracturesMatthew J Boyle
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 22:32-7. 2013..Reverse shoulder arthroplasty (RSA) has been suggested as an alternative to hemiarthroplasty in the management of such fractures...
- Functional outcomes and general health status after ulnohumeral arthroplasty for primary degenerative arthritis of the elbowRobert Z Tashjian
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Brown Medical School Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:357-66. 2006Ulnohumeral arthroplasty (UHA) is considered a satisfactory surgical treatment option for patients with primary degenerative arthritis of the elbow...
- A new in vivo technique for determination of femoro-tibial and femoro-patellar 3D kinematics in total knee arthroplastyR von Eisenhart-Rothe
Asklepios Orthopaedic Surgery Lindenlohe, Lindenlohe 18, 92421 Schwandorf, Germany
J Biomech 40:3079-88. 2007....
- Cervical arthroplasty in the management of spondylotic myelopathy: 18-month resultsLali H S Sekhon
Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Injuries Unit, Royal North Shore Hospital and The University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Neurosurg Focus 17:E8. 2004..Artificial cervical disc replacement may address these problems...
- Glenoid reconstruction in revision shoulder arthroplastyBassem Elhassan
Harvard Shoulder Service, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:599-607. 2008Failed shoulder arthroplasty associated with glenoid bony deficiency is a difficult problem. Revision surgery is complex with unpredictable outcome...
- The influence of rotator cuff disease on the results of shoulder arthroplasty for primary osteoarthritis: results of a multicenter studyT Bradley Edwards
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Clinique Sainte Anne Lumière, Lyon, France
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:2240-8. 2002..The purpose of this study was to report the effects of the condition of the supraspinatus tendon and the rotator cuff musculature on the results of shoulder arthroplasty in the treatment of primary osteoarthritis.
- Neuropathic shoulder in syringomyelia treated with resurfacing arthroplasty of humeral head and soft-tissue lining of glenoid: a case reportMark A A Crowther
Monash University, Department of Surgery, and Melbourne Shoulder and Elbow Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:e38-40. 2007
- The rise in the incidence of pulmonary embolus after joint arthroplasty: is modern imaging to blame?Javad Parvizi
Rothman Institute of Orthopedics, Thomas Jefferson Hospital, 925 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 463:107-13. 2007In recent years, there has been an apparent increase in the incidence of pulmonary embolus after joint arthroplasty at our institution...
- Arthroplasty or internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures: which is the optimal alternative for elderly patients? A meta-analysisJing Wang
Department of Orthopedics and Trauma, Peking University People s Hospital, South Xi Zhi Men Street 11, Beijing, People s Republic of China, 100044
Int Orthop 33:1179-87. 2009..meta-analysis of 20 eligible randomised controlled trials (RCTs) containing 3,109 patients to compare arthroplasty with internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures regarding the effect on clinical outcomes...
- Conversion of painful hemiarthroplasty to total shoulder arthroplasty: long-term resultsRaymond M Carroll
Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York Orthopaedic Hospital, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:599-603. 2004..of this study was to evaluate the outcome after conversion of painful hemiarthroplasty to total shoulder arthroplasty (TSA)...
- Comparison of the rates of joint arthroplasty in patients with severe factor VIII and IX deficiency: an index of different clinical severity of the 2 coagulation disordersGiuseppe Tagariello
Transfusion Service, Hemophilia and Regional Blood Disease Centre, Castelfranco Veneto, Via Ospedale 18, Castelfranco Veneto TV, Italy
Blood 114:779-84. 2009Data from the Italian Hemophilia Centres were collected to perform a retrospective survey of joint arthroplasty in patients with severe hemophilia...
- Can particulate air sampling predict microbial load in operating theatres for arthroplasty?Maria Luisa Cristina
Department of Health Sciences, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e52809. 2012..counting could predict microbiological contamination of the air in an operating theatre during 95 surgical arthroplasty procedures...
- Prospective study of a new total wrist arthroplasty: short term resultsG Herzberg
Hôpital Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, Lyon Cedex 03, France
Chir Main 30:20-5. 2011..results (average 32 months follow-up, minimum 12 months) of a prospective study of the ReMotion™ total wrist arthroplasty in a series of 20 wrists (19 patients) with end-stage arthritic wrists (of whom 13 were rheumatoid)...
- Examining sex and gender disparities in total joint arthroplastyWendy M Novicoff
Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Box 80015, HSC, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:1824-8. 2011Total joint arthroplasty (TJA) is remarkably successful for treating osteoarthritis: most patients see substantial gains in function...
- Evaluation of quadriceps strength and voluntary activation after unicompartmental arthroplasty for medial osteoarthritis of the kneeAndreas Machner
Neuromuscular Research Group at the Department of Orthopaedics, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
J Orthop Res 20:108-11. 2002..Therefore, in the present study we investigate changes in quadriceps muscle after implantation of such prostheses as compared to physiotherapeutical treatment, alone...
- Failed total carpometacarpal joint prosthesis of the thumb: results after resection arthroplastyTorben Baek Hansen
Section of Hand Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Regional Hospital Holstebro, Holstebro, Denmark
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 44:171-4. 2010..Loosening of the implant is often treated by resection arthroplasty, and we reviewed 10 patients, mean age 54 years (range 47-63) who were treated by resection arthroplasty after ..
- 405 nm Light exposure of osteoblasts and inactivation of bacterial isolates from arthroplasty patients: potential for new disinfection applications?R S McDonald
University of Strathclyde, Bioengineering Unit, Wolfson Centre, 06 Rottenrow, Glasgow, Strathclyde G4 0NW UK
Eur Cell Mater 25:204-14. 2013Infection rates after arthroplasty surgery are between 1-4 %, rising significantly after revision procedures...
- Arthroplasty versus fusion in single-level cervical degenerative disc disease: a Cochrane reviewToon F M Boselie
Department of Neurosurgery, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 38:E1096-107. 2013..A systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a review of literatureBernardino Saccomanni
Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Surgery, University of Chieti, Chieti, Scalo, Italy
Clin Rheumatol 29:339-46. 2010There has been a resurgence of interest in unicompartmental knee arthroplasty (UKA) for treatment of medial unicompartmental knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Total hip arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the healthy elderly: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized trialsPaul T P W Burgers
Department of Surgery Traumatology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int Orthop 36:1549-60. 2012Displaced femoral neck fractures in healthy elderly patients have traditionally been managed with hemiarthroplasty (HA). Recent data suggest that total hip arthroplasty (THA) may be a better alternative.
- Hemiarthroplasty vs primary total hip arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck in the elderly: a meta-analysisAi Zi-Sheng
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
J Arthroplasty 27:583-90. 2012..updated meta-analysis was designed to compare clinical effects of hemiarthroplasty (HA) vs primary total hip arthroplasty (THA) for displaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patients...
- S-ROM modular arthroplasty combined with transverse subtrochanteric shortening for Crowe type IV congenital dislocation of hipCheng Zhong
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejaing 310009, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 124:3891-5. 2011This work was carried out to evaluate the clinical efficacy and the complications of S-ROM modular hip arthroplasty combined with transverse subtrochanteric shortening for Crowe type IV congenital dislocation of the hip (CDH).
- Changes in cervical range of motion and sagittal alignment in early and late phases after total disc replacement: radiographic follow-up exceeding 2 yearsPoong Gi Ahn
Department of Neurosurgery, Spine and Spinal Cord Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Neurosurg Spine 11:688-95. 2009..The authors investigated the time course of radiographic changes in the cervical range of motion (ROM) and sagittal alignment after cervical total disc replacement involving the ProDisc-C artificial disc...
- MBL2 gene variation affecting serum MBL is associated with prosthetic joint infection in Czech patients after total joint arthroplastyZ Navratilova
Laboratory of Immunogenomics and Immunoproteomics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Tissue Antigens 80:444-51. 2012Prosthetic joint infection (PJI) is a serious complication of the total joint arthroplasty (TJA). Serum mannose-binding lectin (MBL), a pattern recognition receptor, is involved in antibacterial immune response...
- Finite element analysis of cervical arthroplasty combined with fusion against 2-level fusionYanbin Zhao
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
J Spinal Disord Tech 26:347-50. 2013A biomechanical analysis of cervical arthroplasty and fusion using the finite element method.
- Basal joint arthritis: trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition arthroplastyR E Lins
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston 02114, USA
J Hand Surg Am 21:202-9. 1996..30 thumbs) with basal joint arthritis of the thumb undergoing ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition arthroplasty. Outcome analysis revealed that 24 (89%) patients were satisfied with the relief of pain provided by the ..
- Hip arthroscopy in patients with painful hip following resurfacing arthroplastyC Pattyn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 19:1514-20. 2011Determining the etiology of persistent groin pain after hip resurfacing arthroplasty (HRA) can be very challenging, even for the experienced surgeon...
- The future of spinal arthroplasty: a biomaterial perspectiveRod J Oskouian
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E2. 2004Both total hip and knee arthroplasty have demonstrated outstanding clinical results. The functional spinal unit composed of the intervertebral disc and facet joints is at least as complex...
- Temporomandibular joint ankylosis: experience with interpositional gap arthroplasty at Ayub Medical College AbbottabadIram Abbas
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Ayub Medical College Abbottabad
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:67-9. 2005..The present study describes our experience of Interpositional Gap Arthroplasty in patients presenting with primary or recurrent TMA.
- Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a controversial history and a rationale for contemporary resurgenceJeffrey A Geller
Center for Hip and Knee Replacement, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Knee Surg 21:7-14. 2008Treatment of isolated compartment osteoarthritis with unicompartmental knee arthroplasty (UKA) has had mixed reported results and still remains a controversial procedure...
- Clinical efficacy of the first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty as a curative procedure for hallux interphalangeal joint wounds in patients with diabetesDavid G Armstrong
Department of Surgery, Podiatry Section, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 26:3284-7. 2003To evaluate the safety and efficacy of first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty compared with standard, nonsurgical management of wounds at the plantar hallux interphalangeal joint in patients with diabetes.
- Cervical disc arthroplasty versus fusion for single-level symptomatic cervical disc disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsHua Jiang
Department of Orthopedics and Spine Surgery, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Zhongshan Road 321, Nanjing 210008, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:141-51. 2012To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of cervical disc arthroplasty (CDA) versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) for single-level symptomatic cervical disc disease.
- Effect of modified techniques in Bryan cervical disc arthroplastyJia Xin Xu
Department of Spine Surgery, The Third Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1012-7. 2009A prospective, randomized study of the clinical and radiographic outcomes in patients undergoing single- and 2-level cervical arthroplasty with Bryan cervical disc (Medtronic Sofamor Danek, Memphis, TN).
- Sagittal alignment after Bryan cervical arthroplastyRick C Sasso
Indiana Spine Group, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46260, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:991-6. 2011..Prospective, randomized, Food and Drug Administration Investigational Device Exemption trial from one study site...
- High revision rate after total elbow arthroplasty with a linked semiconstrained deviceNilesh Patil
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Stanford Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Palo Alto, CA 94305, USA
Orthopedics 32:321. 2009The clinical results of semiconstrained total elbow arthroplasty have been encouraging, especially in rheumatoid arthritis...
- Arthroplasty of the proximal interphalangeal joint using costal cartilage graftsT Hasegawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kawasaki Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 17:583-5. 1992..The technique is a useful alternative to other forms of arthroplasty or arthrodesis, and can provide satisfactory functional results when there is a partial defect of the head of ..
- Clinical and radiological results following cervical arthroplastyD H Yoon
Department of Neurosurgery, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:943-50. 2006This was a retrospective study of clinical and radiological results of cervical arthroplasty using the Bryan cervical disc prosthesis to evaluate the efficacy of arthroplasty in clinical applications.
- Humeral head arthroplasty and meniscal allograft resurfacing of the glenoidMichael A Wirth
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1109-19. 2009....
- Outcome of ulnohumeral arthroplasty in osteoarthritis of the elbowMahmut Ugurlu
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, Ataturk Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Orthop Belg 75:606-10. 2009Ulnohumeral arthroplasty is commonly used to treat mild or moderate osteoarthritis (OA) of the elbow...
- Double bundle tendon graft for rotational stabilization of lunate implant arthroplastyMark Henry
Hand and Wrist Center of Houston, Houston, TX 77004, USA
Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 15:16-23. 2011..An emerging alternative to traditional treatments for this stage is lunate implant arthroplasty with a hard material...
- Lower incidence of dysphagia with cervical arthroplasty compared with ACDF in a prospective randomized clinical trialPaul C McAfee
St Joseph Medical Center, Scoliosis and Spine Center, Baltimore, MD 21204, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:1-8. 2010..The current study of 251 consecutive 1-level anterior cervical reconstructions was undertaken to compare the incidence of dysphagia between cervical disk replacement and conventional anterior cervical fusion and instrumentation...
- Reduction in pulmonary embolism after total joint arthroplasty: three years of experience with extended-release epidural morphineRobert H Blackshear
Skaggs Regional Medical Center, Department of Surgery and Anesthesiology, Branson, Missouri, USA
Pain Pract 10:235-44. 2010A retrospective analysis of 659 patients who had undergone a hip or knee arthroplasty was undertaken to determine the incidence of pulmonary embolism (PE) during the 48-hour period following surgery...
- A resident survey study of orthopedic fellowship specialty decision making and views on arthroplasty as a careerSanaz Hariri
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Arthroplasty 26:961-968.e1. 2011A dramatic shortage of total hip arthroplasty (THA) and total knee arthroplasty (TKA) surgeons has been projected because fewer residents enter arthroplasty fellowships, and the demand for THAs/TKAs is rising...
- Long-term results following Keller resection arthroplasty for hallux rigidusWolfgang Schneider
Herz Jesu Hospital, Ortopedic Department, Baumgasse 20A, Vienna, A 1030, Austria
Foot Ankle Int 32:933-9. 2011We assessed the long-term results following Keller resection arthroplasty for the treatment of hallux rigidus. We then compared them with alternative surgical methods like cheilectomy, arthrodesis and joint replacement.
- Comprehensive assessment of clinical outcome and quality of life after resection interposition arthroplasty of the thumb saddle jointFelix Angst
Schulthess Klinik, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 53:205-13. 2005To explore the biometric and psychometric properties of clinical, generic, and condition-specific instruments and to assess quantitatively the outcome after resection interposition arthroplasty (RIAP) of the thumb saddle joint.
- Save the trapezium: double interposition arthroplasty for the treatment of stage IV disease of the basal jointO A Barron
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
J Hand Surg Am 23:196-204. 1998..patients with symptomatic stage IV basal joint (pantrapezial) arthritis were treated with double interposition arthroplasty, a new technique that resurfaces the degenerative trapeziometacarpal and scaphotrapezial joints after minimal ..
- Outcome of Girdlestone's resection arthroplasty following complications of proximal femoral fracturesHimanshu Sharma
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, United Kingdom
Acta Orthop Belg 72:555-9. 2006Twenty two patients who underwent a Girdlestone resection arthroplasty of the hip (pseudarthrosis coxae) following failed operative treatment for hip trauma from 1993 to 2002 were retrospectively reviewed...
- Débridement arthroplasty for primary osteoarthritis of the elbowTakuro Wada
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sapporo Medical University, South 1, West 16, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:233-41. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate outcomes at an average of ten years after débridement arthroplasties performed through a posteromedial approach...
- Arthroscopic interpositional arthroplasty for Freiberg's diseaseTun Hing Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, North District Hospital, 9 Po Kin Road, Sheung Shui, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:555-9. 2007..We describe an arthroscopic interpositional arthroplasty for extensive late stages (stage IV or V) Freiberg's disease...
- Modified latissimus dorsi and teres major transfer through a single delto-pectoral approach for external rotation deficit of the shoulder: as an isolated procedure or with a reverse arthroplastyPascal Boileau
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Traumatology, Hopital de l Archet, University of Nice, Nice, France
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:671-82. 2007..When the modified LD/TM transfer is associated with a reverse shoulder arthroplasty, it allows to restore both active elevation and external rotation.
- [Arthroplasty registries and their contribution to the safety of patient care in joint replacement]B C Heinz
Bundesinstitut fur Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte, Kurt Georg Kiesinger Allee 3, 53175, Bonn, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 52:589-93. 2009The aims of a nationwide German arthroplasty registry are to contribute to continuous design improvement of implants by monitoring their long-term performance, to inform the public of the quality of the components used, and to form a ..
- A novel multi-planar radiography method for three dimensional pose reconstruction of the patellofemoral and tibiofemoral joints after arthroplastyShahram Amiri
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Biomech 44:1757-64. 2011Determining the 3D pose of the patella after total knee arthroplasty is challenging. The commonly used single-plane fluoroscopy is prone to large errors in the clinically relevant mediolateral direction...
- The effect of social support on functional recovery and wellbeing in older adults following joint arthroplastyRuth Ann Kiefer
Dixon School of Nursing, Abington Memorial Hospital, PA, USA
Rehabil Nurs 36:120-6. 2011..social support and evaluated its impact on functional recovery and well-being in older adults after joint arthroplasty. Although social support, associated with the covariates of "living arrangements" and "age," demonstrated a ..
- A meta-analysis of comparative outcomes following cervical arthroplasty or anterior cervical fusion: results from 4 prospective multicenter randomized clinical trials and up to 1226 patientsPaul C McAfee
Spine and Scoliosis Center, St Joseph s Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:943-52. 2012..Meta-analysis of 4 prospective randomized controlled Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) clinical trials...
- Sagittal split fractures in multilevel cervical arthroplasty using a keeled prosthesisJason C Datta
Spine Education and Research Institute, Denver, CO 80229, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:89-92. 2007..The patient did well and has not had any complications related to the device used or fractures. The risks and techniques to avoid this complication when using a keeled prosthesis are discussed in detail...
- Hip Fracture Evaluation Alternatives of Total Hip vs Hemi-arthroplasty (HEALTH)Thomas Einhorn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Treatment Options: Hip fractures are commonly treated with hip replacement, or arthroplasty. Two common types of arthroplasty exist - total hip arthroplasty (THA) and hemi-arthroplasty (HA)...
- Effectiveness and Safety of Antithrombotic Strategies after Joint ReplacementElaine Hylek; Fiscal Year: 2013..Without prophylaxis, the prevalence of VTE following hip or knee arthroplasty is 40-60%...
- Foot Bone Motion in End Stage Ankle Arthritis PatientsWilliam R Ledoux; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., a fusion). However, recent improvements in the long-term viability of ankle arthroplasty (i.e., joint replacement) have increased the treatment options available...
- Central Nervous System Mechanisms in Knee Osteoarthritis (KOA)Daniel J Clauw; Fiscal Year: 2013..utility of these measures by showing that individuals with KOA with central pain will respond poorly to knee arthroplasty. Such a study possesses 17 high public health impact given the high "failure" rate of knee arthroplasty ...
- A new experimental model of knee joint traumaTAMMY L HAUTDONAHUE; Fiscal Year: 2012..encourage translational treatments and interventions, such as rehabilitation therapies or pharmaceutical interventions, which will delay and potentially prevent joint pain, disability, and the eventual need for total knee arthroplasty.
- Early effects of PTH on the proximal femurFelicia Cosman; Fiscal Year: 2013..In patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty (THA) for degenerative joint disease, the hip samples of greatest interest are extracted routinely during the ..
- The Role of Leptin in Inflammation-driven Bone LossUrszula T Iwaniec; Fiscal Year: 2013..ob/ob mice are highly resistant to bone loss induced by polyethylene particles (placed onto calvarium to model arthroplasty wear particle-induced osteolysis) strongly support this hypothesis...
- Sex-specific movement differences in young adults with and without hip painCARA L LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..young adults, which will prevent or slow the progression of chondral damage and thereby reduce the need for hip arthroplasty. The purpose of this project is to assess the movement patterns of people with FAI compared to people without ..
- Patient-Specific Modeling of Total Knee ArthroplastyROBERT ANTHONY SISTON; Fiscal Year: 2012..of this work is to develop and validate a process for creating patient-specific simulations of total knee arthroplasty (TKA) with measurements of component alignment and initial soft tissue balance taken at the time of surgery...
- Inflammasome Danger Signaling:A Novel Target to Prevent Debris Induced OsteolysisNadim James Hallab; Fiscal Year: 2013..on wear debris-induced pro-inflammatory cytokine production by primary monocyte/macrophage cultures from arthroplasty cohorts, and determine if these effects correlate with inflammasome activity in peri-implant tissues determined ..
- Improving the performance of elbow reconstructionTimothy M Wright; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Total elbow arthroplasty (TEA) is not as predictable or durable as joint arthroplasties for the knee and hip...
- Using Intraoperative Measurements to Predict Postoperative Outcomes of TKAROBERT ANTHONY SISTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..tissue balance and passive kinematics, relates to patient functional and clinical outcomes following total knee arthroplasty (TKA), a common surgical procedure used to treat degenerative joint diseases such as osteoarthritis...
- Real-time monitoring of knee forces and kinematics in vivoDARRYL DAVID D apos LIMA; Fiscal Year: 2010Total knee arthroplasty has become the standard of care for end-stage arthritis. The US Census Bureau data predicts that demand for primary total knee arthroplasties will grow to 3.5 million procedures annually by 2030...
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation in the Management of Post-operative PainJeffrey J Borckardt; Fiscal Year: 2013..Total knee arthroplasty (TKA) is one of the most common orthopedic procedures performed...
- Impact of Oxygen Tension on Human Meniscus Tissue EngineeringCristin M Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 2013..This poses a clinical challenge in patients who are too young for total knee arthroplasty. To address the clinical need for a more effective treatment for meniscus deficiency, this training project is ..
- Biotribological Layers in Metal-on-Metal Hip ReplacementJoshua J Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010..option of resurfacing the femoral head without breaching the femoral metaphysis or diaphysis (hip resurfacing arthroplasty) thereby preserving femoral bone stock...
- NIAMS MULTIDISCIPLINARY CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERRobert P Kimberly; Fiscal Year: 2012..Markers of Methotrexate Efficacy and Toxicity in Early RA (Arnett);No, 2, Ethnic Disparities in Total Joint Arthroplasty: Pain and Stress-Related Mediators (Bradley);No...
- Air Barrier System to reduce contamination of wounds during surgerySEAN SELF; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prosthesis implantation procedures, presenting high infection risk, in orthopedics (total hip arthroplasty), neurosurgery (lumbar laminectomy with instrumented fusion), and vascular surgery (femoral-popliteal bypass ..
- Early NMES to Improve Quadriceps Muscle Function After Total Knee ArthroplastyJennifer E Stevens-Lapsley; Fiscal Year: 2012..To alleviate pain and disability associated with knee OA, over 400,000 total knee arthroplasty (TKA) are performed each year in the United States, and future projections indicate that by the year 2030, more ..
- In situ imaging of OA cartilage micro-fluidicsChristopher Price; Fiscal Year: 2013..imaging to the quantification of solute convection in human OA cartilage specimens obtained from total knee arthroplasty patients...
- Molecular Detection of Biofilms on Hip and Knee ImplantsRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..molecular diagnostic for PJI, and will assess whether microbes are associated with aseptic hip and knee arthroplasty failure, both of which will transform clinical practice...
- Effect of femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) on hip motion in young adultsCARA L LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..especially in young adults, prevent or slow the progression of chondral damage, and reduce the need for hip arthroplasty. The purpose of this project is to assess the movement patterns of people with painful FAI compared to people ..
- Muscle Regrowth during Physical Rehabilitation and Amino Acid SupplementationHANS CHRISTIAN DREYER; Fiscal Year: 2012..the measurement of cell signaling, the candidate will test the following specific hypotheses: (1) Total knee arthroplasty (TKA) induces an acute net protein catabolism mainly by reducing muscle protein synthesis;(2) TKA induced ..
- In Vivo Early Detection of Cartilage Degeneration Using High Field MRIXiaojuan Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..its relationship with collagen-PG matrix using cartilage specimens from OA patients who undergo total knee arthroplasty;and 3) to explore its clinical significance by monitoring cartilage damage longitudinally in knees with ..
- Long-Term Broad-Spectrum Prevention of Implant-Related InfectionsKyumin Whang; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Deep wound infection following total joint arthroplasty is a devastating complication for physician and patient, a leading cause of morbidity, and a significant economic burden to the healthcare ..
- Innovative Tools for In Vivo Computational Prediction of Lumbar StressesRICHARD DAVID KOMISTEK; Fiscal Year: 2010..New treatments, including total disk replacement, and facet arthroplasty, will provide alternatives to fusion, but there is a need to do more biomechanical research and develop ..
- Referral Patterns and Risk of Early Revision after Primary Total Joint ArthroplasSTEPHEN L LYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Revision total joint arthroplasty (rTJA) for the hip or knee joint is a complex, costly procedure...
- Hip Fracture Evaluation Alternatives of Total Hip vs Hemi-arthroplasty (HEALTH)Thomas A Einhorn; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hip fractures are commonly treated with hip replacement, or arthroplasty. Two common types of arthroplasty exist, total hip arthroplasty (THA) and hemi-arthroplasty (HA)...
- Quantifying 3rd Body Challenge in Total Hip ArthroplastyTHOMAS DUDLEY BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is important to find ways to minimize these 3rd body particles, and to develop implants that are more resistant to 3rd body damage. ..
- Image-Guided Workstation and Tools for the Treatment of Bone DefectsMehran Armand; Fiscal Year: 2013..The number of both primary and revision hip arthroplasty is projected to almost double between 2005 and 2030...
- Antimicrobial-releasing gels for preventing infection in total joint arthroplastyBrent L Vernon; Fiscal Year: 2013..When a prosthetic joint becomes infected following arthroplasty, organisms form a biofilm on the prosthesis and become inaccessible to systemically delivered antibiotics or ..
- Progressive Rehabilitation for Total Knee ArthroplastyJennifer E Stevens-Lapsley; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study has high potential to shift current clinical practice paradigms with an immediate impact because the PROG program can be easily implemented in most clinical settings. 1 ..
- Comparing ankle arthrodesis to ankle arthroplastyBruce Sangeorzan; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The purpose of this research is to compare arthrodesis with arthroplasty in the treatment of end stage ankle arthritis (ESAA) via Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT)...
- Improving Orthopedic Outcomes Through a National TJR RegistryPatricia D Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2013..of patient factors, technology use, and delivery factors to (1) early functional failure and (2) adverse post-arthroplasty events;(3) examine disparities in TJR use and outcome, seeking to elucidate root causes;and (4) conduct ..
- Pain Mechanisms and Outcomes in OsteoarthritisKristine Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013..concept study, we will show that central pain plays an important role in predicting failure to respond to knee arthroplasty, the definitive treatment of nociceptive pain...
- Biobehavioral Risk Factors for Persistent Pain following Total Knee ArthroplastyRobert R Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. over the next several decades. While the outcomes following total knee arthroplasty are generally good, a substantial minority of patients continue to experience significant long-term pain and ..
- Evaluation of cartilage tissue engineering strategies by IR imagingNancy Pleshko; Fiscal Year: 2012..stages of OA are typically characterized by extensive cartilage damage that can eventually lead to joint arthroplasty. There has been extensive research into techniques to repair damaged cartilage, including development of ..
- Predicting Post-Operative Pain and Analgesic Use: The Role of Endogenous OpioidsCLAUDIA MICHELLE CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..opioid function via naloxone challenge in predicting pain and opioid analgesic use following total knee arthroplasty (TKA) in patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA), one of the most prevalent chronic pain conditions and ..
- National Claims-Based Quality Measures for Surgical Site InfectionsRichard Platt; Fiscal Year: 2013..previously successful claims-based surveillance following coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and hip arthroplasty to identify hospitals with an unusually high risk of SSI following knee arthroplasty, another high volume and ..
- Polyurethane Bone Cements for Total Hip ImplantsIbrahim Sendijarevic; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) has been used as a bone cement in total hip arthroplasty (THA) since the 1960's and today is still used in a significant percentage of the 1...
- Incorporating Prior Knowledge of Surgical Devices in CBCT-Guided InterventionsJOSEPH WEBSTER STAYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..increased use in image-guided procedures, including orthopaedic surgeries such as spine fusion and total hip arthroplasty. Since intraoperative imaging is particularly likely to include surgical devices (e.g...
- QUADRICEPS POWER, MOVEMENT PATTERNS AND FUNCTION AFTER TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTYAdam Rubin Marmon; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Individuals who undergo total knee arthroplasty for end-stage osteoarthritis report significant reductions in pain following surgery;however, their lower extremity functional abilities remain impaired ..
- Building Musculoskeletal Outcomes Research at the University of IowaPeter M Cram; Fiscal Year: 2013..and I have been systematically conducting patient-oriented research in the areas of osteoporosis and joint arthroplasty. In the area of osteoporosis, through a series of progressive studies, we have explored how best to communicate ..
- An Outcome Study of Rheumatoid Hand ArthroplastyKevin C Chung; Fiscal Year: 2013..2003 a prospective cohort outcomes study to determine the effectiveness of silicone metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty (SMPA) procedure for realigning the fingers...
- ETHNIC DISPARITY IN THE USE OF JOINT ARTHROPLASTYDENNIS ANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Program Director, Munro Peacock, M.D., was appointed in July 1987. The GCRC was ..
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging as a Biomarker For Adverse Local Tissue Reaction In InHollis G Potter; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Total hip arthroplasty (THA) with metal-on-polyethylene (MOP) bearing materials have excellent survival rates but a common cause for implant failure is aseptic loosening caused by biologic reaction to ..
- Adaptive High Intensity Electrical Stimulation for Post-Surgical RehabilitationEric Hartman; Fiscal Year: 2009..for this device would be clinics who serve patients undergoing rehabilitation following ACLR or total knee arthroplasty (TKA). The target price for the system will be $4000...
- Implant/Construct Interactions in the Biomechanics of Total Hip DislocationThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..by applicant): Dislocation remains second only to aseptic loosing as a leading cause of failure in total hip arthroplasty (THA)...
- Knee Arthroplasity Pain Coping Training (KAST Pain): A Randomized TrialDaniel L Riddle; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Approximately 25% of patients following knee arthroplasty have disabling pain following apparently successful surgery...
- EQUITY OF INPATIENT SURGERY UTILIZATION IN CALIFORNIAMita Giacomini; Fiscal Year: 1992..surgical procedures will be analyzed: coronary artery bypass, pacemaker implant, carotid endarterectomy, hip arthroplasty/replacement, lithotripsy, kidney transplantation, and surgery for gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Genetic Determinants of Ankylosing Spondylitis SeverityMichael Weisman; Fiscal Year: 2005..with worse radiological outcomes, greater functional disability, work disability and need for total hip arthroplasty in a retrospective cohort study of 400 patients with AS of 20 years or longer...
- A Novel Load Sensing Tibial Prosthesis DesignDARRYL D LIMA; Fiscal Year: 2006..provided by applicant): Accurate in vivo measurement of tibiofemoral force is important in total knee arthroplasty as this determines polyethylene stresses and cold flow, stress distribution in the implant, and stress transfer ..
- FAILURE MECHANISMS OF REVISION JOINT REPLACEMENTJoan Bechtold; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION (Adapted from investigator's abstract): Total joint arthroplasty has substantially improved the quality of life for millions of people, yet a significant number of joint replacements fail each year, particularly "revision" ..
- Durable Muscle-Prosthetic Bond for Artificial TendonsNatalia Juncosa Melvin; Fiscal Year: 2009..applications annually, including, but by no means limited to, orthopaedic oncology, revision arthroplasty, expanded tendon transfer and sports-injury reconstruction...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000..mechanical phenomena pervade many aspects of the treatment of hip disease and injury, including total hip arthroplasty, intra-articular fractures, osteonecrosis, and developmental dysplasia...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..mechanical phenomena pervade many aspects of the treatment of hip disease and injury, including total hip arthroplasty, intra-articular fractures, osteonecrosis, and developmental dysplasia...
- Tissue engineered osteochondral patella resurfacingJames Cook; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long-term objective is to develop a clinically applicable biologic arthroplasty approach for treating articular cartilage loss due to injury or osteoarthritis in humans...
- BONE RESPONSE TO COMBINED MECHANICAL AND PTH STIMULATIONX Guo; Fiscal Year: 2005..bone loss in microgravity, and the long term success or failure of porous implants in total joint arthroplasty. Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is an important anabolic agent when administered intermittently...
- TYPE II COLLAGEN DENATURATION IN AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITIAnthony Poole; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will examine aging human knee articular cartilages from autopsy and OA cartilages at arthroplasty, and those from the talus (ankle) (autopsy only)...
- Improved Orthopedic Implant Surface CoatingsPaul Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2007..For example, the revision rate for arthroplasty varies between 10-20% (Fitzpatrick, Shortall et al...
- TOTAL SURGICAL REPLACEMENT OF THE HUMAN HIP JOINTJorge Galante; Fiscal Year: 2000..proposal is concerned with adaptive bone remodeling of the femur following cementless and cemented total hip arthroplasty. Clinically, over 50% of the periprosthetic bone mass can be lost following hip arthroplasty...
- ORTHOPEDIC SEPSIS: PATHOGENESIS, DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENTRobert Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 1991..H.O.) and the infected total hip arthroplasty. There are five specific aims: 1) A.H.O. is caused by an alteration of the host defense mechanism; 2) A.H.O...
- GENETICS OF JOINT FAILUREMatthew Warman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Cohort sizes of 150 affected relative pairs per arthroplasty type (knee and hip) have the power to detect genes contributing a 3-fold increase in risk to relatives...
- BONE RESPONSE TO COMBINED MECHANICAL AND PTH STIMULATIONX Guo; Fiscal Year: 2000..osteopetrosis, bone loss in microgravity and the long term success or failure of porous implants in total joint arthroplasty. Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is an important anabolic agent when administrated intermittently...
- Nanostructured Zirconia Ceramics for Joint ProstheticsANTHONY SUTORIK; Fiscal Year: 2004In the field of arthroplasty, roughly 500,000 prosthetic knees and hips are implanted annually in the U.S. This number is expected to increase six fold as "baby boomers" age...
- Smart Substrates for a New Generation of ImplantsIrving Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2009Infection following joint arthroplasty is a devastating complication with immense financial and psychological costs...
- Functional Outcomes Following Minimally Invasive Total Knee ArthroplastyJennifer E Stevens Lapsley; Fiscal Year: 2010..While total knee arthroplasty (TKA) reliably reduces pain and improves function in patients with knee osteoarthritis, recovery of quadriceps ..