Genomes and Genes
Summary: A diet prescribed in the treatment of diabetes mellitus, usually limited in the amount of sugar or readily available carbohydrate. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Diabetes update: promoting effective disease managementKim Coy DeCoste
Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY, USA
AAOHN J 52:344-53; quiz 354-5. 2004....
- Insulin treatment in managing type 2 diabetes: challenges and opportunitiesJohn Leahy
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, USA
JAAPA . 2007..An insulin regimen that introduces basal and prandial doses of insulin gradually to sustain daytime glycemic control is both practical and effective...
- International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008Fiona S Atkinson
Institute of Obesity, Nutrition and Exercise, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Diabetes Care 31:2281-3. 2008..To systematically tabulate published and unpublished sources of reliable glycemic index (GI) values...
- Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes AssociationJohn P Bantle
Diabetes Care 31:S61-78. 2008
- Nuts as a replacement for carbohydrates in the diabetic dietDavid J A Jenkins
St Michael s Hospital Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes Care 34:1706-11. 2011..Therefore, we assessed the effect of mixed nut consumption as a source of vegetable fat on serum lipids and HbA(1c) in type 2 diabetes...
- Effect of legumes as part of a low glycemic index diet on glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trialDavid J A Jenkins
Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Center, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 172:1653-60. 2012..Yet, to our knowledge, they have never been used specifically to lower the GI of the diet. We have therefore undertaken a study of low-GI foods in type 2 DM with a focus on legumes in the intervention...
- Glycemic control from 1988 to 2000 among U.S. adults diagnosed with type 2 diabetes: a preliminary reportCarol E Koro
GlaxoSmithKline, Upper Providence, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes Care 27:17-20. 2004..S. adult diagnosed type 2 diabetes population between the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III (1988-1994) and the initial release of NHANES 1999-2000...
- Effect of varying glycemic index meals on blood glucose control assessed with continuous glucose monitoring in youth with type 1 diabetes on basal-bolus insulin regimensTonja R Nansel
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 31:695-7. 2008..The purpose of this study was to test the effect of high glycemic index (HGI) and low glycemic index (LGI) meals on blood glucose levels using continuous blood glucose monitoring in youths with type 1 diabetes...
- Nutrition principles and recommendations in diabetesMarion J Franz
Diabetes Care 27:S36-46. 2004
- Misunderstandings about illness and treatment among patients with type 2 diabetesInger M Holmström
Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 49:146-54. 2005..This paper reports a study whose aim was to describe the misunderstandings that Swedish patients with type 2 diabetes have about their illness and treatment...
- Factors associated with consumption of diabetic diet among type 2 diabetic subjects from Ahmedabad, Western IndiaMayur Patel
Swasthya Hospital, All India Institute of Diabetes and Research, Narainpura, Ahmedabad 380013, Gujarat, India
J Health Popul Nutr 30:447-55. 2012This cross-sectional study assessed the current situation of and factors associated with consumption of diabetic diet among 399 type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) subjects from Ahmedabad, Western India...
- Dietary habits in type II diabetes mellitus: how is adherence to dietary recommendations?A A Rivellese
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II University, Via S Pansini 5, Naples, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:660-4. 2008..To clarify adherence of type II diabetic patients to dietary recommendations...
- The impact of barriers and self-efficacy on self-care behaviors in type 2 diabetesL I Aljasem
Health Education Division, Ministry of Health, PO Box 33437, Rawda 73455, Kuwait
Diabetes Educ 27:393-404. 2001..This cross-sectional, correlational study examined the relationships of diabetes-specific treatment barriers and self-efficacy with self-care behaviors...
- Carbohydrate and fiber recommendations for individuals with diabetes: a quantitative assessment and meta-analysis of the evidenceJames W Anderson
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, and the Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 23:5-17. 2004..The diet should provide 25-50 g/day of dietary fiber (15-25 g/1000 kcal). Glycemic index information should be incorporated into exchanges and teaching material...
- The importance of carbohydrate counting in the treatment of children with diabetesTomoyuki Kawamura
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Pediatr Diabetes 8:57-62. 2007..This paper describes the importance of carb counting for childhood diabetes as well as some of the special aspects associated with it...
- Glycemic index of 3 varieties of datesCampbell J Miller
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, PO Box 17 666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Saudi Med J 23:536-8. 2002..The consumption of low glycemic index diets has been shown to have benefits for glycemic and lipid control. The purpose of this study was to determine and compare the glycemic indexes of 3 varieties of commercially available dates...
- [The incidence of hyperinsulinemia in patients with tinnitus and the effect of a diabetic diet on tinnitus]Oguz Basut
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 10:183-7. 2003We investigated the incidence of hyperinsulinemia in patients presenting with tinnitus and evaluated the effect of diabetic diet on tinnitus.
- Men living with diabetes: minimizing the intrusiveness of the diseaseT Koch
Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
J Clin Nurs 9:247-54. 2000..They managed their life with diabetes by minimizing the intrusiveness of the disease...
- Comparison of a high-carbohydrate and a high-monounsaturated fat, olive oil-rich diet on the susceptibility of LDL to oxidative modification in subjects with Type 2 diabetes mellitusC Rodriguez-Villar
Lipid Clinic, Nutrition and Dietetics Service, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinico, Barcelona, Spain
Diabet Med 21:142-9. 2004..To compare the effects of a high-carbohydrate (CHO) diet and a high-monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) diet on LDL oxidative resistance in free-living individuals with Type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Long-term effects of a diet loosely restricting carbohydrates on HbA1c levels, BMI and tapering of sulfonylureas in type 2 diabetes: a 2-year follow-up studyHajime Haimoto
Haimoto Clinic, 1 80 Yayoicho, Kasugai, Aichi 486 0838, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:350-6. 2008..8+/-3.5, P<0.001). The doses of sulfonylureas clearly tapered, and serum cholesterol profiles improved significantly with the CARD. Our results warrant a long-term and large-scale randomized study of the diet for type 2 diabetes...
- Role of glycemic index and glycemic load in the healthy state, in prediabetes, and in diabetesGabriele Riccardi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 87:269S-274S. 2008..In these patients, low-GI foods are suitable as carbohydrate-rich choices, provided other attributes of the foods are appropriate...
- A randomized controlled trial of weight reduction and exercise for diabetes management in older African-American subjectsT D Agurs-Collins
Division of Epidemiology and Cancer Control, Howard University Cancer Center, Washington, DC 20006, USA
Diabetes Care 20:1503-11. 1997..To evaluate a weight loss and exercise program designed to improve diabetes management in older African-Americans...
- Effect of energy restriction, weight loss, and diet composition on plasma lipids and glucose in patients with type 2 diabetesL K Heilbronn
Department of Physiology, University of Adelaide, Australia
Diabetes Care 22:889-95. 1999..To determine the optimal diet for improving glucose and lipid profiles in obese patients with type 2 diabetes during moderate energy restriction...
- Personal-model beliefs and social-environmental barriers related to diabetes self-managementR E Glasgow
Oregon Research Institute, Eugene 97403 1983, USA
Diabetes Care 20:556-61. 1997....
- Nutritional habits of subjects with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in the Mediterranean Basin: comparison with the non-diabetic population and the dietary recommendations. Multi-Centre Study of the Mediterranean Group for the Study of Diabetes (MGSD)A Thanopoulou
Diabetes Centre, 2nd Medical Department, Athens University Medical School, Hippokration Hospital, Vas Sofias 114, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Diabetologia 47:367-76. 2004....
- Diabetes self-management education core outcomes measuresKathryn Mulcahy
Inova Diabetes Center, 2832 Juniper Street, Fairfax, VA 33031, USA
Diabetes Educ 29:768-70, 773-84, 787-8 passim. 2003
- Multicenter randomized trial of a comprehensive prepared meal program in type 2 diabetesF X Pi-Sunyer
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10025, USA
Diabetes Care 22:191-7. 1999....
- Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes--2006: a position statement of the American Diabetes AssociationJohn P Bantle
Diabetes Care 29:2140-57. 2006
- Assessment of dietary knowledge, practices and control in type 2 diabetes in a Nigerian teaching hospitalE A Abioye-Kuteyi
Department of Community Health, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Niger J Med 14:58-64. 2005..The aim of this study therefore was to assess the dietary knowledge, practices and control of type 2 DM in Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals' Complex, Ile-Ife, Nigeria...
- All our patients need to know about intensified diabetes management they learned in fourth gradeH M Rizor
Rocky Mountain Diabetes and Osteoporosis Center, Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Diabetes Educ 26:392-4, 396, 400-2 passim. 2000..Referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes allows a tailored plan to be developed with each individual based on health parameters, treatment goals, lifestyle, and cognitive skills...
- Implementing intensified treatment strategies for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusStephen A Brunton
Cabarrus Family Medicine Residency, Concord, NC, USA
J Fam Pract 56:S9-16. 2007..This CME activity examines the clinical uncertainties resulting from disease progression and provides recommendations for the long-term management of patients with type 2 DM...
- Managing type 2 diabetes. Patient and NP as partners in careJane Jeffrie Seley
New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Adv Nurse Pract 13:22-33: quiz 34. 2005
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 (IGFBP-2) is a marker for the metabolic syndromeA H Heald
Diabetes and Endocrinology, University of Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford, United Kingdom
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114:371-6. 2006..In relation to structural and regulatory parallels between IGFBP-1 and - 2 we have now examined the hypothesis that IGFBP-2 may be a marker for cardiovascular risk...
- Self-care practices of Malaysian adults with diabetes and sub-optimal glycaemic controlMing Yeong Tan
Discipline of Nursing, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 72:252-67. 2008..To investigate the self-care practices of Malaysian adults with diabetes and sub-optimal glycaemic control...
- The burden of treatment failure in type 2 diabetesJonathan B Brown
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, OR, USA
Diabetes Care 27:1535-40. 2004..In type 2 diabetes, therapies to maintain blood glucose control usually fail after several years. We estimated the glycemic burden that accumulates from treatment failure and describe the time course and predictors of failure...
- Diabetes and physical activity in schoolSobha Kollipara
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, USA
School Nurse News 21:12-6. 2004..The student's Diabetes Medical Management Plan, nursing care plan, 504 Plan, IEP, or other education plan should include specific instructions...
- Closing the gap between literature and practice: evaluation of a teaching programme (in the absence of a structured treatment) on both type 1 and type 2 diabetesE Matteucci
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Nutr Metab 16:298-305. 2003..Education by itself is more than simply offering information to people (even in a troubled context) and its infrequent incorporation in practice really contradicts resource efficiency...
- Decreased dipeptidyl peptidase-IV activity and glucagon-like peptide-1(7-36)amide degradation in type 2 diabetic subjectsAine M McKillop
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland, UK
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:79-85. 2008..These data indicate decreased DPP-IV activity and GLP-1 degradation in type 2 diabetes. DPP-IV enzyme activity appears to be depressed in response to poor glycaemic control...
- Utility of casual postprandial glucose levels in type 2 diabetes managementImad M El-Kebbi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
Diabetes Care 27:335-9. 2004....
- [Acarbose, a reliable therapeutic principle]Heiner Laube
Medizinische Klinik III der Universität Giessen
Med Klin (Munich) 98:2-6. 2003..There are no serious side effects. Gastrointestinal adverse effects decrease considerably by a stepwise and individual dosage adjustment during long-term treatment and good dietary discipline...
- Self-care autonomy and outcomes of intensive therapy or usual care in youth with type 1 diabetesTim Wysocki
Center for Pediatric Psychology Research, Nemours Children s Clinic, 807 Children s Way, Jacksonville, Florida 32207, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 31:1036-45. 2006..This article evaluated whether deviation from developmentally appropriate self-care autonomy moderated the effects of intensive therapy (IT) or usual care (UC) on glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA(1C)) in 142 youths with diabetes...
- Self-monitoring of blood glucose--psychological aspects relevant to changes in HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients treated with diet or diet plus oral antidiabetic medicationMarcus Siebolds
Catholic University of Applied Sciences Nordrhein Westfalen, Department of Health Care Systems, Woerthstrasse 10, D 50668 Köln, Cologne, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 62:104-10. 2006....
- Systematically initiating insulin: the staged diabetes management approachJan Pearson
International Diabetes Center, 3800 Park Nicollet Boulevard, Minneapolis, MN 55416, USA
Diabetes Educ 32:19S-28S. 2006
- Low-glycemic index carbohydrates: an effective behavioral change for glycemic control and weight management in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetesJohanna Burani
Nutrition Works, 51 Dean Road, Mendham, NJ 07945, USA
Diabetes Educ 32:78-88. 2006....
- [Correctly estimating and appreciating carbohydrates. Nutrition in diabetes mellitus]Karl Heinz Krumwiede
Abteilung für Ernährungsberatung und Oecotrophologie, Klinikum Nürnberg
MMW Fortschr Med 149:91-6. 2007..On the other hand, a diabetic person is ill-advised if the explanations are made too simple. Incorrect information such as the taste of a particular food is related to the blood sugar trend should be avoided...
- Control of type 2 diabetes mellitus among general practitioners in private practice in nine countries of Latin AmericaGloria Lopez Stewart
Latin American Diabetes Association and Universidad de Chile, División Occidente, Santiago, Chile
Rev Panam Salud Publica 22:12-20. 2007....
- Comparison of the effects of pioglitazone and metformin on hepatic and extra-hepatic insulin action in people with type 2 diabetesRita Basu
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism, and Nutrition, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st St SW, Room 5 194 Joseph, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Diabetes 57:24-31. 2008..To determine mechanisms by which pioglitazone and metformin effect hepatic and extra-hepatic insulin action...
- Vinegar ingestion at bedtime moderates waking glucose concentrations in adults with well-controlled type 2 diabetesAndrea M White
Department of Nutrition, Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 30:2814-5. 2007
- The incretin mimetic exenatide as a monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetesPatric Nelson
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc, San Diego, California, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 9:317-26. 2007..Exenatide is an adjunctive therapy for type 2 diabetes, and preliminary evidence suggests that its glucoregulatory effects may be similar in the absence of oral therapy...
- Impact of Web-based nurse's education on glycosylated haemoglobin in type 2 diabetic patientsKim Hee-Sung
College of Nursing, The Catholic University, Seoul, South Korea
J Clin Nurs 16:1361-6. 2007..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether the effect of the nurse's education using short message service of cellular phone varied according to the degree of the glycosylated haemoglobin at baseline with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Self-management behaviors, racial disparities, and glycemic control among adolescents with type 2 diabetesRussell L Rothman
Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research, Suite 6000 Medical Center East, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Pediatrics 121:e912-9. 2008..Type 2 diabetes is a growing problem among adolescents, but little is known about self-management behaviors in this population. Our aim was to examine self-management behaviors and glycemic control among adolescents with type 2 diabetes...
- Changes in depressive symptoms and glycemic control in diabetes mellitusAnastasia Georgiades
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3842, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Psychosom Med 69:235-41. 2007..To investigate if changes in depressive symptoms would be associated with changes in glycemic control over a 12-month period in patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes...
- Diabetes control and complications in public hospitals in MalaysiaM Mafauzy
Diabcare Malaysia Study Group, Health Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan
Med J Malaysia 61:477-83. 2006..3% had blood pressure < 130/80 mmHg. Only 54.8% of patients admitted to adhering to a diabetic diet regularly and 38.9% exercised regularly. As for glucose monitoring, only 26...
- Impact of fasting and postprandial glycemia on overall glycemic control in type 2 diabetes Importance of postprandial glycemia to achieve target HbA1c levelsHans J Woerle
Department of Internal Medicine II, Clinical Research Unit CRU, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Grosshadern Marchioninistr 15, Munich 81377, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:280-5. 2007..Cross-sectional studies suggest that attainment of HbA1c goals requires specific targeting of postprandial hyperglycemia...
- Managing older adults with diabetesTheresa A Hainer
Diabetes, Endocrine and Nutrition Center, Eastern Maine Medical Center, Bangor, Maine 04402, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 18:309-17. 2006....
- Low glycemic index foods should play a role in improving overall glycemic control in type-1 and type-2 diabetic patients and, more specifically, in correcting excessive postprandial hyperglycemiaGerard Slama
Department of Diabetes, Hotel Dieu Hospital, University Rene Descartes, Paris V, Paris, France
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 11:73-9; discussion 79-81. 2006..Again, all these classes of drugs could be associated with one another in order to obtain a postprandial delta excursion target of not below 20 and not above 40-50 mg/dl blood glucose...
- Adherence behaviours in Taiwanese children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitusChi Wen Chang
School of Nursing, Chang Gung University, 5 Fu Shing Street, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
J Clin Nurs 16:207-14. 2007..aims and objective: To describe the current non-adherence behaviours of Taiwanese children with type 1 diabetes mellitus...
- [The diabetic--a difficult patient difficult to treat?]C Henzen
Endokrinologie Diabetologie, Departement Medizin, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:541-4. 2006..Causes of apparent insulin resistance are discussed, particularly the omission of insulin to control weight in young women, and the obesity and sedentary lifestyle in type 2 diabetics...
- [Introduction of sucrose in the diet plan of persons with type 1 diabetes: its influence in the glycemic control]Paula Cristina A da Costa
Centro de Diabetes, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 49:403-9. 2005..After four months of follow up, the frequency of self monitoring blood glucose was reduced (p< 0.001). Total cholesterol and triglycerides values were in the normal range and A1C values decreased during the observed period (p= 0.027)...
- A randomized clinical trial comparing low-glycemic index versus ADA dietary education among individuals with type 2 diabetesYunsheng Ma
Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Nutrition 24:45-56. 2008..We compared the effects of a low glycemic index (GI) diet with the American Diabetes Association (ADA) diet on glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) among individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- Effects of dietary treatment alone or diet with voglibose or glyburide on abdominal adipose tissue and metabolic abnormalities in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetesKazuhisa Takami
Department of Internal Medicine, Kizawa Memorial Hospital, Gifu, Japan
Diabetes Care 25:658-62. 2002..OBJECTIVE; To examine the effects of diet and diet with voglibose or glyburide on abdominal adiposity and metabolic abnormalities in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Leptin levels in type 2 diabetes: associations with measures of insulin resistance and insulin secretionM Wauters
Department of Diabetology, Metabolism and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Horm Metab Res 35:92-6. 2003....
- The effects of losartan and fosinopril in hypertensive type 2 diabetic patientsHalil Kavgaci
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, 61080, Trabzon, Turkey
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 58:19-25. 2002..Both drugs were well tolerated. Thus the antihypertensive effects of the two drugs were comparable. In conclusion, this study confirms the efficacy and safety of losartan as an antihypertensive drug in diabetic patients...
- Improved glycaemic control with miglitol in inadequately-controlled type 2 diabeticsE Standl
Schwabing Hospital, Koelner Platz 1, D-80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 51:205-13. 2001..No cases of hypoglycaemia were reported. CONCLUSIONS: Miglitol can safely and effectively be added to long-term combination therapy in people with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with glibenclamide plus metformin...
- [When diet and oral antidiabetics are no longer enough. Optimal management of the diabetic patient with insulin]C Rosak
Stoffwechselabteilung am Krankenhaus Sachsenhausen, Frankfurt Main
MMW Fortschr Med 144:28-30, 32, 34. 2002..Particular importance attaches to non-pharmacological measures, in particular with the aim of avoiding a further increase in weight due to the treatment with insulin...
- Correction of hyperglycaemia reduces insulin resistance and serum soluble E-selectin levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitusK Matsumoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Sasebo Chuo Hospital, Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Diabet Med 18:224-8. 2001..These changes might, in part, contribute to reduce the risk of diabetic microvascular and macrovascular complications in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Group visits improve metabolic control in type 2 diabetes: a 2-year follow-upM Trento
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Corso AM Dogliotti 14, I-10126 Turin, Italy
Diabetes Care 24:995-1000. 2001..CONCLUSIONS--Group consultations may improve metabolic control in the medium term by inducing more appropriate health behaviors. They are feasible in everyday clinical practice without increasing working hours...
- Relationship between ethnicity and glycemic control, lipid profiles, and blood pressure during the first 9 years of type 2 diabetes: U.K. Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS 55)T M Davis
Fremantle Hospital, University of Western Australia
Diabetes Care 24:1167-74. 2001..Ethnicity-specific glycemic control of type 2 diabetes seems unnecessary, but other risk factors need to be addressed independently...
- Hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusC D Miller
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:1653-9. 2001..Concerns about hypoglycemia should not deter efforts to achieve tight glycemic control in most patients with type 2 diabetes...
- [Nutritional and metabolic status and dietetic evaluation in institutionalized elderly patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus]C Casimiro
Abbott Laboratories, , , 48, 28048 Madrid
Nutr Hosp 16:104-11. 2001..5% female) were collected with a mean +/- SD age of 80.8 +/- 7.5. Had a diabetic diet 93.3% of patients with no gender differences 55.7% were on oral antidiabetic treatment (53.9% females and 58...
- Altered distribution of urinary glycosaminoglycans in diabetic subjectsD Juretic
Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Haematology, University of Zagreb, Domagojeva 2, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Diabetol 39:123-8. 2002....
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin in overweight patients with type II diabetes (UKPDS No. 51)P Clarke
Health Economics Research Centre, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Institute of Health Sciences, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Diabetologia 44:298-304. 2001....
- Dose-response effect of pioglitazone on insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion in type 2 diabetesYoshinori Miyazaki
University of Texas Health Science Center and Texas Diabetes Institute, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Diabetes Care 25:517-23. 2002..To investigate the dose-response effects of pioglitazone on glycemic control, insulin sensitivity, and insulin secretion in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Increased insulin-insensitive glucose transport in polymorphonuclear leukocytes from non-insulin-dependent diabetic patientsY Okuno
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, Japan
Horm Metab Res 23:387-91. 1991..Long-term, not short-term, derangement of glucose metabolism seems to be associated with increased glucose transport rate found in those patients...
- [Management of patients with type 2 diabetes. Results in 12 practices of general practitioners]D Rothenbacher
Abtlg für Epidemiologie des Deutschen Zentrums für Alternsforschung DZFA, an der Universität Heidelberg, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:1183-7. 2002..Our study reports the experience of the structure and medical management of a population-representative collective of patient with 2DM under the care of general practitioners...
- [Effect of glucose control on lipid levels in patients with type 2 diabetes]K G Parhofer
Medizinische Klinik II, Grosshadern, Klinikum der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:958-62. 2002..In this study we evaluated whether an improvement of the lipid status can also be observed in a routine clinical setting. Furthermore, we evaluated how many patients achieve lipid target levels by improving glucose control...
- A flexible, low-glycemic index mexican-style diet in overweight and obese subjects with type 2 diabetes improves metabolic parameters during a 6-week treatment periodArturo Jimenez-Cruz
Nutrition Program, Medical School, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Mexico, Baja California, Mexico
Diabetes Care 26:1967-70. 2003..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of a flexible lower- and higher-glycemic index (GI) Mexican-style diet on biochemical data and BMI during a 6-week treatment period...
- [National practice guidelines. New aspects in therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus]Axel Haupt
Medizinische Klinik IV und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum, Tubingen
MMW Fortschr Med 145:41-6. 2003..Also available are prandial, conventional and flexibly intensified insulin therapy. During insulin therapy, treatment of the insulin resistance with an oral antidiabetic, mostly metformin, and the lifestyle changes must be continued...
- Diabetic ketoacidosisBarbara S Freeland
Detroit Medical Center, Harper University Hospital, 3990 John R, Suite 5360, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Diabetes Educ 29:384-6, 389-92, 394-5. 2003
- Validity of random blood glucose as a predictor of the quality of glycaemic control by glycated haemoglobin in out-patient diabetic patients at Kenyatta National HospitalF C F Otieno
Department of Medicine, College of Health Sciences, University of Nairobi, P O Box 19676, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 79:491-5. 2002..Patients with diabetes mellitus in Kenya come to the hospital for follow-up visits very infrequently. For most of these patients their blood glucose monitoring is done only on the day of visit to the doctor...
- [Managing the obese patient]Hans Hauner
Else Kröner Fresenius Zentrum für Ernährungsmedizin der Technischen Universität München, Munchen
Med Klin (Munich) 98:569-76. 2003
- [Optimized diabetes therapy in type 2 diabetics]Andreas Clemens
Medizinische Klinik C, Stoffwechselzentrum des Klinikums der Stadt Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen
Med Klin (Munich) 98:484-92. 2003..There are roughly 8 million diabetics in Germany, with another 4 million estimated unknown case...
- The effects of diet, sulfonylurea, and Repaglinide therapy on clinical and metabolic parameters in type 2 diabetic patients during RamadanRamazan Sari
Department of Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, School of Medicine, University of Akdeniz, Antalya, Turkey
Endocr Res 30:169-77. 2004..Diabetes and its treatment can cause problems for the Muslim population. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of different therapy models on clinical and metabolic status in type 2 diabetic patients during Ramadan...
- Undiagnosed asymptomatic hypoglycemia: diet, insulin, and glyburide for gestational diabetic pregnancyYariv Yogev
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, University Hospital of Columbia University, New York, New York 10019, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:88-93. 2004..The role of maternal hypoglycemia during pregnancy has not yet been established. We sought to estimate the prevalence of undiagnosed, asymptomatic hypoglycemic events that occur in diabetic patients...
- Effects of intravenous fructose on gastric emptying and antropyloroduodenal motility in healthy subjectsJulie E Stevens
University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, SA, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G1274-80. 2009..Fructose is used widely in the diabetic diet and is known to empty from the stomach slightly faster than glucose but substantially slower than water...
- Role of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, carnitine, vitamins, phytochemicals and trace elements in the treatment of diabetes mellitus and its chronic complicationsVincenzo Triggiani
D E T O Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 6:77-93. 2006..activators, vitamins and trace elements, are advertised and prescribed to patients as a useful adjuvant to a diabetic diet and conventional medications in order to improve glycaemic control and reduce the impact of chronic ..
- Effects of soybean D-LeciVita product on serum lipids and fatty acid composition in type 2 diabetic patients with hyperlipidemiaDanijela Ristic Medic
Institute for Medical Research, Laboratory for Nutrition and Metabolism, Dr Subotica 4a, Belgrade, PO Box 102, 11 129 Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16:395-404. 2006....
- Occurrence of gestational diabetes mellitus, maternal and fetal outcomes beyond the 28th week of gestation in women at high risk of gestational diabetes. A prospective studyM Virally
Department of Medicine B, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, University Paris VII, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75010 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 33:290-5. 2007..The secondary objectives were to evaluate maternal and fetal outcomes in early and late GDM (between 24-28 WG, and beyond 28 WG), as well as to compare them to a normal glucose tolerance (NGT) group...
- The use of low-glycaemic index diets in diabetes controlD E Thomas
Centre for Evidence Based Paediatrics Gastroenterology and Nutrition CEBPGAN, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, c o Research Building, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Br J Nutr 104:797-802. 2010..Food affects blood glucose levels; however, there is no universal approach to the optimal diabetic diet and there is controversy about the usefulness of the low-glycaemic index (GI) diet...
- [Drug-drug interactions in diabetic patients at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology]L Magulova
Oddelenie klinickej formakológie Fakultnej nemocnice Nitra, Slovenska republika
Vnitr Lek 55:403-7. 2009..as a consequence of drug-drug interactions are often wrong interpreted as a nonadherence to the diabetic diet or polymorbidity of the patient. Drug-drug interactions are not taken into account...
- [Comprehensive review of type 2 diabetes treatment in primary health care. Hygienic, dietetic, educational and pharmacological aspects]María Violeta Fernández-Duque
Centro de Salud La Ería Oviedo España
Enferm Clin 18:41-5. 2008..A diabetic diet is always required at all phases of the disease...
- Acute hyposmia in type 2 diabetesS Takayama
Social Insurance Uguisudani Health Care Centre, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital of the Imperial Household, Tokyo, Japan
J Int Med Res 31:466-8. 2003During treatment for type 2 diabetes with a diabetic diet (without medication), a 61-year-old Japanese man suddenly developed hyposmia. The fasting plasma glucose was 208 mg/dl and haemoglobin A1c was 8.6%...
- [Effect of tongxinluo capsule on plasma endothelin in patients with diabetic nephropathy]Yi Zhao
Department of Nephropathy, Xiangfan Hospital of Dongfeng Automobile Company, Hubei 441004
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 25:131-3. 2005..In order to explore the therapeutic effect of tongxinluo capsule (TXLC) on diabetic nephropathy, the influence on plasma endothelin (ET-1) level of the drug was observed...
- The effects of treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism on metabolic control and hyperinsulinemiaZelija Velija-Asimi
Clinic of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, University Clinical Centre of Sarajevo, Institute of Clinical Immunology, University Clinical Centre of Sarajevo
Med Arh 61:20-1. 2007..All patients were treated with L-thyroxin (25-50 microg). Patients with DM and GI were treated with diabetic diet, physical activity and previously antidiabetics without change of doses...
- [Just as important as blood sugar control by drugs. A healthy cuisine for diabetics]M Burkard
Diakonissenkrankenhaus, Frankfurt Main
MMW Fortschr Med 145:33-5. 2003..A specific "diabetic diet" is unknown...
- [Nutrition in diabetic nephropathy]M Marcelli
U O Nutrizione Clinica, A O S Giovanni Addolorata, Rome
G Ital Nefrol 23:S68-70. 2006..Diet plays an essential role in the therapy of diabetic nephropathy. A well planned diabetic diet with intensive glycemic control can significantly reduce the risk of microalbuminuria development, and ..
- Medical admission order sets to improve deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis rates and other outcomesChris O'Connor
Department of Medicine, Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
J Hosp Med 4:81-9. 2009..The value of order sets for clinical decision support has not been established...
- [Diabetes mellitus in sub-Saharan Africa: epidemiological aspects and management issues]S B Gning
Services Médicaux, Hôpital Principal de Dakar, Senegal
Med Trop (Mars) 67:607-11. 2007..of the problem, high cost of medications, socio-economic setting that is poorly suited to maintaining a proper diabetic diet, and limitations in infrastructure and personnel...
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus in ChinaL Xu
Beijing Institute of Ophthalmology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital University of Medical Science, Beijing, China
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:69-70. 2008..To investigate the prevalence of diabetes mellitus in China...
- Factors related to perceived diabetes control are not related to actual glucose control for minority patients with diabetesLisa M McAndrew
Department of Veterans Affairs, New Jersey Health Care System, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Diabetes Care 33:736-8. 2010..To examine variables associated with perceived diabetes control compared with an objective measure of glucose control (A1C)...
- A community-centered approach to diabetes in East HarlemCarol R Horowitz
Department of Health Policy, Mount Sinai Medical School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1077, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:542-8. 2003....
- Assessing Spouses' Support of the Diabetic DietJ Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003..Confirmation of the hypotheses will mean the CDSA can be used to assess married or cohabiting type 2 diabetic's degree of success in adjusting to the diabetic diet and identify those needing more couple-based dietary instruction.
- RE-AIM Evaluation of Tailored Smoking Harm ReductionRussell Glasgow; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Plant-Based Dietry Intervention in Type 2 DiabetesNeal Barnard; Fiscal Year: 2004..Glycosylated hemoglobin, insulin concentrations, 24-hour urinary albumin, body weight, blood pressure, serum lipids, and related cardiovascular risk factors will be measured at baseline, 22 weeks, and 74 weeks. ..
- Dietary Glycemic Load, Body Weight, and Blood LipidsYunsheng Ma; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCING SUPPORT FOR WOMEN AT RISK FOR HEART DISEASEDeborah Toobert; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., serum lipids, hypertension, weight, vascular reactivity), HbA1c and quality of life (e.g., depression, functioning). ..
- A Run-to-Run Algorithm for Glucose RegulationLois Jovanovic; Fiscal Year: 2005..The exchange of personnel will be facilitated, allowing the student and post-doc supported on this project to work at both the institute and the university over the span of the project ..
- Relationship of Frailty to Multimorbidity and DisabilityChristine Cigolle; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research will be an initial step to a more comprehensive study that will incorporate linked Medicare claims data and longitudinal survey data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel regulation of adipogenesis: agouti & melanocortinsRandall Mynatt; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mind-Body Interactions in Management of Type 2 DiabetesMARY ANN STEPHENS; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- A Lifestyle Change Program to Prevent Type 2 DiabetesRobin Whittemore; Fiscal Year: 2006..3. To explore the reach, adoption, implementation, and maintenance of a lifestyle change program delivered by NPs in primary care settings. ..
- Pediatric Type 1 diabetes: Intervention Trials With Glucagon SuppressorsRubina A Heptulla; Fiscal Year: 2010..Uses of exenatide and/or pramlintide provide us with potentially new tools to improve glycemic control in children and adolescents with T1 DM and thus reduce associated long-term microvascular complications of this debilitating disease. ..
- New Therapeutic Targets in Pediatric Type 1 DiabetesRubina Heptulla; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Intramyocellular Lipid: Effects of Race and DietJeanine Albu; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this regard these studies may help to identify mechanisms for race-ethnic disparities in the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus and therefore respond to the NIH PA number 04-074. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2007 International Peripheral Nerve Society Meeting at Snowbird, UtahA Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..The meeting directly impacts public health and patient care by disseminating important new ideas (both research and therapeutic) and by developing consensus guidelines. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Integrating Education, Group Support, and Case Management for Diabetic HispanicsSharon Brown; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study is a critical step in determining effective ways of sustaining the effects of diabetes self-management in Mexican American populations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Methods for Improved Diet & Exercise MeasurementDeborah Toobert; Fiscal Year: 2008..This tool could be used for health research and clinical practice applications to serve the broad NIH goal of understanding control of obesity and health enhancement. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optimizing Secondary Prevention in Type 2 DiabetesJonathan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will ensure that all assertions can be replicated (or disconfirmed) with ease by other workers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERE Reece; Fiscal Year: 2009..During the upcoming grant period, we anticipate the planning and funding of the UM Clinical and Translational Science Center. ..
- CHD Lifestyle Modification for Latinas with DiabetesDeborah Toobert; Fiscal Year: 2009..The program results, materials, and lessons learned will be disseminated via multiple avenues. ..
- Daily Depressive Affect & Disease Management in DiabetesLawrence Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- EXTRAMURAL RESEARCH FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROVEMENTDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Human Subjects Research Protections at UT AustinSharon Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003..Activities outlined in this proposal will prepare us further for accreditation, as well as for the significant growth in health research that is anticipated at UT Austin over the next few years. ..
- EDUCATION AND GROUP SUPPORT FOR DIABETIC HISPANICSSharon Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed continuation is a critical step in translating this culturally-appropriate intervention into clinical practice. ..
- CONSTRUCTION OF RESEARCH ANIMAL FACILITYDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed project, which will be co-financed by contributions from the State of Maryland, therefore, considered instrumental for sustaining the stature of the MPRC in schizophrenia research. ..
- NIDDM IN AFRICAN AND CHINESE AMERICAN FAMILIESLawrence Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, the resulting clinical typology will provide patient/family/ethnic profiling for use in studies to prevent the onset of NIDDM and to reduce complications in patients already diagnosed with NIDDM. ..
- OBESITY IN BLACK WOMENJeanine Albu; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ADJUSTMENT TO BREAST CANCERVicki Helgeson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Women will be sent questionnaires on an annual basis, up to 5 years post-intervention. Medical records will be evaluated to gather information on recurrence. ..
- RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS--ADHERENCE INTERVENTION STRATEGIESJacqueline Dunbar Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2002..Should one or more of the strategies prove successful, intervention manuals would be disseminated for use by nurses working in clinical settings with this population. ..
- Youth and Parent Knowledge of Diabetes ComplicationsTim Wysocki; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DQB1*0602 RELATIVES--MECHANISMS FOR DIABETES PROTECTIONCarla Greenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2001..This proposal includes collaborative agreements between the University of Washington and the Universities of Florida (Gainesville), South Florida (Tampa), and Colorado. ..
- INTENSIVE THERAPY FOR IDDM IN YOUTH--OUTCOME PREDICTIONSTim Wysocki; Fiscal Year: 2001..The study will specify behavioral and psychological factors that mediate IT and UC response, promoting the development of interventions targeting these mechanisms and of well validated protocols for the selection of patients for IT. ..
- Enhancing Support for Women w/Type 2 Diabetes: Follow-UpDeborah Toobert; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Diabetes Perceptions, Patient Satisfaction and Self-CareJames Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2005..AIM 4: To investigate the influence of the patients' ethnicity, age, education, and gender on perception differences of diabetes. ..
- Effects of Stress on Behavior and Glucose in Type 1 DMVicki Helgeson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Improving diabetes outcomes: A couples interventionPaula Trief; Fiscal Year: 2006..As an R34, this is a pilot proposal to develop preliminary data on the feasibility and efficacy of he couples approach so that a future full-scale trial may be submitted as an R18 proposal. ..
- IMPROVING MEDICATION ADHERENCE IN COMORBID CONDITIONSJacqueline Dunbar Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Human Subjects Research Electronic Tracking SystemDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..WVU has a different organizational structure, a different information technology network, and different human subjects research emphasis from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. ..
- Cancer Center Renovation GrantDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERAUBREY MD HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this second funding cycle, the UAMS GCRC will continue expanding campus-wide clinical investigation. Support from all three sister institutions will continue to ensure GCRC success. ..
- Breast Cancer Survivorship: 10 Years LaterVicki Helgeson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will conduct focus groups with women to examine the positive and negative aspects of their experience with the research study. ..
- Measuring Self-Management of Type 1 Diabetes in YouthLynne Schilling; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BEHAVIOR THERAPY FOR FAMILIES OF DIABETIC ADOLESCENTSTim Wysocki; Fiscal Year: 2003..These results could influence the clinical practice of diabetes management and health care policy regarding adolescents with diabetes and other chronic diseases. ..