Summary: Improving health status of an individual by adjusting the quantities, qualities, and methods of nutrient intake.
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- Inflammation as the key interface of the medical and nutrition universes: a provocative examination of the future of clinical nutrition and medicineGordon L Jensen
Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition, Nashville, Tennessee 37215, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 30:453-63. 2006..Nutrition practitioners can seize this opportunity to be a part of the future medical team that brings highly individualized patient care to the bedside...
- [The malnutritioned patient]Jens Kondrup
Den Kgl Veterinaer og Landhøjskole, Institut for Human Ernaering, Frederiksberg C
Ugeskr Laeger 168:4320-1. 2006..Despite this evidence, recent studies indicate that little is done in daily clinical practice. A combined effort from hospital managers, doctors, nurses and clinical dieticians is required to improve this care gap...
- Nutritional assessmentMark H Delegge
Digestive Disease Center, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, 210 Clinical Science Building, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:1-22, v. 2007..Knowledge of performing an appropriate nutrition assessment and implementing a rational nutrition therapy should be part of any patient's hospital plan of care...
- The evidence for medical nutrition therapy for type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adultsMarion J Franz
Nutrition Concepts by Franz, Inc, Minneapolis, MN 55439, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:1852-89. 2010..Major nutrition therapy factors reviewed are carbohydrate (intake, sucrose, non-nutritive sweeteners, glycemic index, and fiber), ..
- Medical nutrition therapy provided to adult hematopoietic stem cell transplantation patientsMary G Habschmidt
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 27:655-60. 2012This study explored the current medical nutrition therapy (MNT) provided to adult patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) and examined the current and desired role of registered dietitians (RDs) in providing ..
- Medical nutrition therapy in chronic kidney failure: integrating clinical practice guidelinesJudith A Beto
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:404-9. 2004..The rising incidence of chronic kidney disease will increase the probability of the non-renal specialist dietetics professional delivering care to this patient population...
- Medical nutrition therapy in hospitalized patients with diabetesAidar R Gosmanov
Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Curr Diab Rep 12:93-100. 2012Medical nutrition therapy (MNT) plays an important role in management of hyperglycemia in hospitalized patients with diabetes mellitus...
- Medical nutrition therapy: use of sourdough lactic acid bacteria as a cell factory for delivering functional biomolecules and food ingredients in gluten free breadElke K Arendt
School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Western Road, Cork, Ireland
Microb Cell Fact 10:S15. 2011..This review will highlight how sourdough LAB can be an efficient cell factory for delivering functional biomolecules and food ingredients to enhance the quality of gluten free bread...
- The effect of medical nutrition therapy on changes in dietary knowledge and DASH diet adherence in older adults with cardiovascular diseaseE Racine
Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223 0001, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 15:868-76. 2011..To examine the effect of MNT on dietary knowledge of older adults at baseline, 6 months and 12 months and to assess the effect of dietary knowledge on change in DASH diet adherence from baseline to 12 months...
- Iron status of children with phenylketonuria undergoing nutrition therapy assessed by transferrin receptorsPhyllis B Acosta
Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio 43215, USA
Genet Med 6:96-101. 2004..The purpose of the study was to determine the incidence of iron deficiency in children undergoing therapy for phenylketonuria using serum transferrin receptor and ferritin concentrations...
- Nutrition therapy for eating disordersChristina Scribner Reiter
Metropolitan State College of Denver, Denver, CO, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 25:122-36. 2010..This review provides an overview of the current state of the art in the practice of nutrition therapy for eating disorders, providing guidance in nutrition assessment, interventions, monitoring and ..
- Physician-delivered malnutrition: why do patients receive nothing by mouth or a clear liquid diet in a university hospital setting?Glen A Franklin
Departments of Surgery and Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 35:337-42. 2011..Traditional practices of placing patients nil per os (NPO) or on clear liquid diet (CLD) deter delivery of optimal nutrition care and are not always supported by sound physiologic principles...
- The role of nutrition therapy and dietitians in the management of the metabolic syndromeMarion J Franz
Nutrition Concepts by Franz, Inc, 6635 Limerick Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55439, USA
Curr Diab Rep 7:60-5. 2007b>Nutrition therapy interventions for the metabolic syndrome include weight reduction or maintenance, physical activity, whole grains and fiber, and type and amount of food fats...
- Identifying critically ill patients who benefit the most from nutrition therapy: the development and initial validation of a novel risk assessment toolDaren K Heyland
Clinical Evaluation Research Unit, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, ON, Canada
Crit Care 15:R268. 2011..To develop a scoring method for quantifying nutrition risk in the intensive care unit (ICU)...
- Nutrition and dietary supplements in motor neuron diseaseJeffrey Rosenfeld
Division of Neurology, University of California San Francisco Fresno, Fresno, CA, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 19:573-89, x. 2008..Despite their popularity, the efficacy of these compounds has been largely unsupported by formal clinical trials. Available data will be highlighted to provide a basis upon which to advise patients requesting guidance...
- [Nutrition therapy for gestational diabetes]U Amann-Gassner
Else Kröner Fresenius Zentrum für Ernährungsmedizin, Technische Universitat Munchen, Am Forum 5, 85350 Freising Weihenstephan
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:893-8. 2008..Thus, individualized nutritional treatment together with other specific lifestyle interventions are the principal components in the management of GDM...
- Nutrition support using the American Dietetic Association medical nutrition therapy protocol for radiation oncology patients improves dietary intake compared with standard practiceElisabeth A Isenring
Institute for Health and Biomedical Innovation and School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD, Auistralia
J Am Diet Assoc 107:404-12. 2007....
- Prognostic impact of disease-related malnutritionKristina Norman
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 27:5-15. 2008....
- Probiotics and medical nutrition therapyAmy C Brown
Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1955 East West Road, Room 216, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Nutr Clin Care 7:56-68. 2004..in the form of dairy-based fermented products, but the potential use of probiotics as a form of medical nutrition therapy has not received formal recognition...
- Nutritional therapy and infectious diseases: a two-edged swordHaig Donabedian
Professor of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Toledo, 3120 Glendale Avenue, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Nutr J 5:21. 2006..Dietary supplementation with glutamine appears to lower the risk of post-surgical infections and the ingestion of cranberry products has value in preventing urinary tract infections in women...
- Nutrition therapy in critically ill infants and childrenHeather E Skillman
Department of Clinical Nutrition, The Children s Hospital, 13123 East 16th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 32:520-34. 2008..Indirect calorimetry is a useful technique that identifies patients receiving inadequate or excessive nutrition, but this technique is underused...
- The future of critical care nutrition therapyPaul E Wischmeyer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Colorado at Denver School of Medicine, 12700 East 19th Avenue, Box 8602, RC2 P15 7120, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Crit Care Clin 26:433-41, vii. 2010....
- Preliminary evidence for a medical nutrition therapy protocol: enteral feedings for critically ill patientsKendra K Kattelmann
Didactic Program in Dietetics, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57006, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1226-41. 2006..Well-designed, adequately powered, randomized controlled clinical trials are needed to evaluate any benefit of tube tip position on aspiration pneumonia or mortality, and of early enteral feedings on mortality...
- A medical nutrition therapy program improves perinatal outcomes in Mexican pregnant women with gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes mellitusOtilia Perichart-Perera
Public Health Research Branch Research Direction, Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Montes Urales 800, Lomas de Virreyes 11000, Mexico City, Mexico
Diabetes Educ 35:1004-13. 2009Diabetes in pregnancy is a major public health problem in Mexico. Nutrition therapy is an important component of treatment. Intensive nutrition intervention has not been implemented for Mexican pregnant women with diabetes...
- [Nutrition therapy for adult patients with caustic injuries to gastrointestinal tract]N A Muñoz Botero
Grupo de Terapia Nutricional, Hospital El Tunal, Bogota, Colombia
Nutr Hosp 25:231-7. 2010To present here the experience of our Nutrition Therapy Team of the Hospital El Tunal, for the nutritional management of adult patients with caustic injuries to gastrointestinal tract.
- Medical nutrition therapy for cystic fibrosis: beyond pancreatic enzyme replacement therapyKim M Hayek
Sodexho Health Care Services, Frankfort Regional Medical Center, KY, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1186-8. 2006
- [Adherence to a medical nutrition therapy program in pregnant women with diabetes, measured by three methods, and its association with glycemic control]Margie Balas-Nakash
Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Lomas de Virreyes, DF Mexico
Rev Invest Clin 62:235-43. 2010The measurement of adherence to nutrition therapy is essential to evaluate if the outcomes are related to given recommendations.
- Thiamine in nutrition therapyKrishnan Sriram
Department of Surgery, Room 3350, Stroger Hospital, 1901 West Harrison St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 27:41-50. 2012Clinicians involved with nutrition therapy traditionally concentrated on macronutrients and have generally neglected the importance of micronutrients, both vitamins and trace elements...
- Nutrition therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and related nutritional complicationsAmanda Carla Fernandes
Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, MG, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 32:461-71. 2006..The objective of this study was to present a brief review of the literature regarding the nutrition therapy used in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- A medical nutrition therapy primer for childhood asthma: current and emerging perspectivesEmily McCloud
National Jewish Health, Denver, CO, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 111:1052-64. 2011..gastroesophageal reflux disease, food allergies, and other issues; therefore, individualized medical nutrition therapy is warranted...
- Micronutrient supplementation in adult nutrition therapy: practical considerationsKrishnan Sriram
Division of Surgical Critical Care, Department of Surgery, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, and Department of General Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 33:548-62. 2009..information about individual micronutrient use specifically in hospitalized adult patients receiving nutrition therapy will be discussed, emphasizing the practical and clinical aspects...
- Nutrition therapy in the critically ill childHeather E Skillman
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 18:192-8. 2012..review highlights the recent investigations of nutrition assessment, energy balance, indirect calorimetry, nutrition therapy, barriers to nutrient delivery, monitoring during enteral feeding, and the role of nutrition guidelines in ..
- Management and perception of hospital undernutrition-a positive change among Danish doctors and nursesKaren Lindorff-Larsen
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Clin Nutr 26:371-8. 2007..In 1997, a questionnaire-based survey among Danish hospital doctors and nurses in selected departments concluded that clinical nutrition did not fulfil accepted standards...
- Personalized nutrition: nutritional genomics as a potential tool for targeted medical nutrition therapySina Vakili
Human Nutrition and Food Science Department, Cal Poly Pomona, 3801 W Temple Ave, Pomona, CA 91768, USA
Nutr Rev 65:301-15. 2007An emerging goal of medical nutrition therapy is to tailor dietary advice to an individual's genetic profile...
- Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: nutrition intervention in the care of persons with human immunodeficiency virus infectionCade Fields-Gardner
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1425-41. 2004..Individualized nutrition care plans will be an essential feature of the medical management of persons with HIV infection and AIDS...
- Nutrition in alcoholic liver diseaseSara R DiCecco
William J von Liebig Transplant Center, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 201 W Center Street, Rochester, MN 55902, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 21:245-54. 2006..Early intervention with nutrition therapy may improve response to treatment, alleviate symptoms, and improve quality and quantity of life...
- [Question 2. What strategy for maintaining optimal nutrition? The means of nutritional therapeutic interventions in patients with cystic fibrosis]J Sarles
CRCM pédiatrique de Marseille, Hopital d Enfants de la Timone, 13005 Marseille, France
Arch Pediatr 10:437s-439s. 2003
- Nutritional care of the obese intensive care unit patientElamin M Elamin
Department of Anesthesia and Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, University of South Florida, Department of Anesthesiology, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 11:300-3. 2005..It provides some of the scientific data in support of and against hypocaloric, high-protein nutritional support in critically ill obese patients...
- The effect of nutritional management on the mood of malnourished patientsZeno Stanga
Clinical Nutrition and Investigation Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Clin Nutr 26:379-82. 2007....
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Liberalization of the diet prescription improves quality of life for older adults in long-term careKathleen C Niedert
Western Home Communities, Cedar Falls, IA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1955-65. 2005..advocates the use of qualified dietetics professionals to assess and evaluate the need for medical nutrition therapy according to each person's individual medical condition, needs, desires, and rights...
- The role of the dietitian in the intensive care unitBeth Taylor
Surgical Trauma Intensive Care Unit, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:211-6. 2005....
- [Pressure sores in geriatric medicine: the role of nutrition]Juliette Fontaine
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, F 75005 Paris, France
Presse Med 37:1150-7. 2008..It must be adapted for each patient. The recommended calorie intake in malnourished patients at risk of or with pressure sores is 30-40 kcal/kg/d, with 1.2-1.5 g of proteins/kg/d...
- An European survey of structure and organisation of nutrition support teams in Germany, Austria and SwitzerlandE Shang
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68135 Mannheim, Germany
Clin Nutr 24:1005-13. 2005..Focus of this study was the investigation of function, structure and organisation of NST in Germany (D), Austria (A) and Switzerland (CH)...
- Evolution of nutritional therapy prescription in critically ill patientsD Borges Dock-Nascimento
Multidisciplinary Nutritional Therapy Team, Julio Muller Universitary Hospital, University of Mato Grosso, Brasil
Nutr Hosp 20:343-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate factors that may affect the evolution of the caloric prescription in critically ill patients. Local: Intensive care unit patients...
- Dietitian services are associated with improved patient outcomes and the MEDFICTS dietary assessment questionnaire is a suitable outcome measure in cardiac rehabilitationAnne Locklin Holmes
Morrison Healthcare Food Services, South Fulton Medical Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1533-40; quiz 1549. 2005....
- [Nutrition of the critical ill]Martin Max
Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 42:592-9. 2007..The daily energy supply should not exceed 20-30 kcal/kgBW in the acute phase of the illness. Vitamins and trace elements should be supplied daily to avoid any deficiency...
- Nutritional goals, prescription and delivery in a pediatric intensive care unitMarjorie de Neef
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, G8 131, Emma Children s Hospital Academic Medical Center, P O Box 22700, 1100DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 27:65-71. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare prescription and delivery of nutrition to predefined nutritional targets, and identify risk factors associated with inadequate nutritional intake...
- Use of insulin and weight gain: optimizing diabetes nutrition therapyAnne Daly
Springfield Diabetes and Endocrine Center, 2528 Farragut Dr, Springfield, IL 62704, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1386-93. 2007..Registered dietitians must be involved before and after initiation of insulin therapy to help patients avoid or minimize weight gain, maximize adherence and glycemic control, and avoid the long-term complications of diabetes...
- Reducing drug usage and adverse effects. Part I: Diabetes managementMelissa Baron
Health Care Food Nutr Focus 22:1, 3-7. 2005
- Obesity, inflammation, and the potential application of pharmaconutritionMatt C Cave
Department of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 500 S Jackson Street, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 23:16-34. 2008..Specialized nutrition therapy for such patients currently consists of a hypocaloric, high-protein diet...
- Nutrition matters for cancerLeanne Brown
University Department of Rural Health Northern New South Wales, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 12:131. 2004
- [Question 2. What strategies for maintaining optimal nutritional state in patients with cystic fibrosis? When and how to evaluate nutritional state at the means of therapeutic interventions?]M Laurans
Service de Pediatrie, CHU, Avenue de la Cote de Nacre, 14033 Caen, France
Arch Pediatr 10:440s-448s. 2003
- [Role and limitation of internal medicine in therapy of patients with anorexia nervosa]Mari Suzuki
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 108:717-23. 2006
- Communicating with Capitol HillPatricia Samour
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1534, 1536. 2004
- Future and implications of reimbursement for obesity treatmentJudith S Stern
Department of Nutrition, Division of Endocrinology, Clinical Nutrition and Vascular Biology, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:S104-9. 2005..The obesity epidemic is too large to be ignored. Health care professionals have a duty to be informed about the disease and to advocate for patients who need help. Registered dietitians can be key players in delivering obesity treatment...
- [Hypophosphatemia and refeeding syndrome: a severe and underdiagnosed adverse effect]M Monti
Service de Medecine A, Departement de Medecine, CHUV, Lausanne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:1744-7. 2003....
- [It is never too late--nutrition in the elderly]H Strube
Ernährungsmedizinische Beraterin DGE, AG Ernährung und Public Health, Bremer Institut für Präventionsforschung und Sozialmedizin, Linzer Strasse 10, 28359 Bremen
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:547-57. 2006..Against this background, particular effort is required especially in senior housing facilities to ensure a diet covering needs, which preserves the pleasure of eating and drinking...
- Effect of a nutritional intervention promoting the Mediterranean food pattern on plasma lipids, lipoproteins and body weight in healthy French-Canadian womenJulie Goulet
Department of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Institute, Laval University, Quebec, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Atherosclerosis 170:115-24. 2003....
- A single nutrition counseling session with a registered dietitian improves short-term clinical outcomes for rural Kentucky patients with chronic diseasesLisa M Gaetke
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Kentucky, 218 Funkhouser Bldg, Lexington, KY 40506 0054, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:109-12. 2006..This study further confirms the value of a single nutrition counseling session as an effective approach to treating type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease...
- Outcomes monitoring of health, behavior, and quality of life after nutrition intervention in adults with type 2 diabetesChristina C Lemon
Department of Human Biology, University of Wisconsin Green Bay, WI, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1805-15. 2004....
- Nutritional intervention improves the caloric and proteic ingestion of head and neck cancer patients under radiotherapyM C Gonçalves Dias
Serviço de Atendimento Ambulatorial do Instituto Central do Hospital das Clínicas da FMUSP, Brazil
Nutr Hosp 20:320-5. 2005..It is recommended that programs be implemented-to improve the ingestion of foods among these patients...
- The lipid management nutrition outcomes project: perspectives from a national experience in protocol implementation and nutrition outcomes trackingKatherine S Rhodes
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Preventive Cardiology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 0363, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:332-9. 2008..51 registered dietitians (RDs) from practice settings across the United States implemented the 1998 Medical Nutrition Therapy Hyperlipidemia Protocol and collected outcomes...
- Medical nutrition therapy: the core of ADA's advocacy efforts (part 2)Ronald E Smith
American Dietetic Association, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:987-96. 2005
- Medical nutrition therapy: the core of ADA's advocacy efforts (part 1)Ronald E Smith
American Dietetic Association, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:825-34. 2005
- Nutrition diagnosing and order writing: value for practitioners, quality for clientsHeidi J Silver
Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 2713, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 103:1470-2. 2003
- Matching funds from the federal government for Medicaid disease management: dietitians as recognized providersEllen Pritchett
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1345-8. 2004
- Bone turnover during inpatient nutritional therapy and outpatient follow-up in patients with anorexia nervosa compared with that in healthy control subjectsMartina Heer
DLR Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Space Physiology, Linder Hoehe, 51170 Cologne, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 80:774-81. 2004..Osteopenia and osteoporosis are among the most frequent and severe complications in adolescents with anorexia nervosa...
- Cancer wasting and quality of life react to early individualized nutritional counselling!Paula Ravasco
Unidade de Nutrição e Metabolismo, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina Universidade de Lisboa, Avenida Prof Egas Moniz, 1649 028, Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Nutr 26:7-15. 2007..The early provision of the appropriate mixture of foods and textures using regular foods may modulate outcomes in cancer patients...
- [Energy and nutrition in maintenance dialysis--significance of carnitine and cytokine in malnutrition]Shinichiro Kawai
Internal Medicine, Shigei Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 62:441-4. 2004
- Acute pancreatitis: practical considerations in nutrition supportLeah Gramlich
Division of Gastroenterology, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Room 323 Community Services Center, 10240 Kingsway Avenue, Edmonton, AB T5H 3V9, Canada
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 9:323-8. 2007....
- What are the calorie requirements for patients with cystic fibrosis?Wendy Marcason
J Am Diet Assoc 105:660, 555-6. 2005
- Malnutrition--the ignored risk factorHerbert Lochs
Dig Dis 21:196-7. 2003
- The nutrition diagnosis: how it fits in the nutrition care processNancy Hakel-Smith
Clinical Nutrition Services, BryanLGH Medical Center, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Health Care Food Nutr Focus 23:1, 3-7. 2006
- Implementing clinical guidelines for nutrition in a neurosurgical intensive care unitHansson Annette
Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Nurs Health Sci 7:266-72. 2005..Some areas need further clarification, there needs to be continuing development of nutritional guidelines, and education of staff is needed in order to enhance the nutritional care of patients...
- [Nutrigenomics. Scientific basis, status and perspectives of application]H G Joost
Deutsches Institut für Ernährungsforschung Potsdam Rehbrücke, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, 14558 Nuthetal, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:1011-9. 2006..This information will improve the prevention of nutrition-related diseases, e. g. by establishing personalised nutritional recommendations...
- Effects of lifestyle intervention on health care costs: Improving Control with Activity and Nutrition (ICAN)Anne M Wolf
Department of Public Health Sciences, 1710 Allied St, Suite 34, Charlottesville, VA 22903, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1365-73. 2007..To evaluate program and health care costs of a lifestyle intervention in a high-risk obese population...
- [Insulin resistance and diabetes type 2 in overweight children]C M Renders
afd Sociale Geneeskunde, Instituut voor Extramuraal Geneeskundig Onderzoek, VU Medisch Centrum, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:2060-3. 2003..Early detection is very useful in obese children with two additional risk factors: diabetes type 2 in first- and second-degree relatives, members of certain ethnic groups or indications of insulin resistance...
- A survey of nutrition practices for patients with cystic fibrosisCatherine E O'Brien
Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 28:237-41. 2013..Thus, the purpose of this study was to survey current practices among CF dietitians...
- Effect of nutritional counselling on hepatic, muscle and adipose tissue fat content and distribution in non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseE Louise Thomas
Robert Steiner MR Unit, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Rd, London W12 0HS, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 12:5813-9. 2006..To assess the effectiveness of the current UK clinical practice in reducing hepatic fat (IHCL)...
- Effects of a lifestyle modification trial among phenotypically obese metabolically normal and phenotypically obese metabolically abnormal adolescents in comparison with phenotypically normal metabolically obese adolescentsRoya Kelishadi
Pediatric Preventive Cardiology Department, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Matern Child Nutr 6:275-86. 2010..Lifestyle modification programmes for primordial/primary prevention of chronic diseases would be beneficial at the population level and should not be limited to obese children...
- [Body composition: decision making support in oncology, current and future practices]Nathalie Jacquelin-Ravel
Institut Multidisciplinaire d Oncologie, Clinique de Genolier, 1272 Genolier
Rev Med Suisse 8:1118-23. 2012..However, to achieve this goal, nutritionnal intervention has to be very accurate as most of the failures result from inappropriate intervention...
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Nutrition Intervention and Human Immunodeficiency Virus InfectionCade Fields-Gardner
TCE Consulting Group, Inc, Cary, IL, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:1105-19. 2010..the American Dietetic Association that efforts to optimize nutritional status through individualized medical nutrition therapy, assurance of food and nutrition security, and nutrition education are essential to the total system of ..
- Assessment of body protein: energy status in chronic kidney diseaseNoël J M Cano
CHU Clermont Ferrand, Service de Nutrition, Hopital G Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
Semin Nephrol 29:59-66. 2009..The practical implications of nutritional parameters for the management of CKD patients are illustrated by a case presentation...
- [Evaluation of the state intervention project to improve quality of life and reduce the complications associated with aging: "Add health to your years"]Gustavo Horacio Marin
Ministerio de Salud, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gac Sanit 23:272-7. 2009....
- When does nutrition impact respiratory function?Karen S Allen
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 15:327. 2013b>Nutrition therapy is an essential aspect of patient care and an important determinant of outcomes in the ICU. Nutrition can impact respiratory function in a myriad of ways...
- New therapy options for amyotrophic lateral sclerosisPaul Gordon
Northern Navajo Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Shiprock, NM, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 14:1907-17. 2013..New approaches are needed to uncover effective treatments for this still-devastating disease...
- The integration of diet and nutrition lifestyle management strategies into the dental office visit for diabetes risk reduction and managementMaura Bruno
Department of Nutritional Sciences, School of Health Related Professions, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 65 Bergen St, Room 157, Newark, NJ 07107 3001, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 143:1320-3. 2012..The incidence of diabetes and prediabetes in the United States continues to increase. Oral health care professionals (OHCPs) play a role in diabetes screening and education...
- Lack of efficacy of blueberry in nutritional prevention of azoxymethane-initiated cancers of rat small intestine and colonFrank A Simmen
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham Street, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 9:67. 2009..Previous work indicated an inhibitory effect of consumed blueberry (BB) on formation of aberrant crypt foci (ACF) in colons of male Fisher F344 rats (inbred strain). However, effects of BB on colon tumors and in both genders are unknown...
- Nutritional support and risk status among cancer patients in palliative home care servicesY Orrevall
Department of Clinical Science, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Support Care Cancer 17:153-61. 2009..Differences in the use of nutritional support in relation to nutritional, social and clinical factors, as well as survival were also investigated...
- Optimizing nutrition in intensive care units: empowering critical care nurses to be effective agents of changeAndrea P Marshall
Griffith University, The Gold Coast Hospital, Southport, Queensland, Australia
Am J Crit Care 21:186-94. 2012..Using nurses as agents of change will help standardize nutritional practices and ensure that critically ill patients are optimally fed...
- Impact of lifestyle intervention on lost productivity and disability: improving control with activity and nutritionAnne M Wolf
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0717, USA
J Occup Environ Med 51:139-45. 2009..To evaluate the effectiveness of a lifestyle intervention (LI) in reducing work loss and disability days...
- Crohn's disease: current treatment optionsA K Akobeng
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Central Manchester and Manchester Children s University Hospitals, Booth Hall Children s Hospital, Charlestown Road, Blackley, Manchester M9 7AA, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:787-92. 2008..The available evidence does not support the use of corticosteroids or 5-aminosalicylates as maintenance therapy for CD...
- The Hjelp24 NIMI Ringerike obesity clinic: an inpatient programme to address morbid obesity in adultsSverre Mæhlum
Hjelp24 NIMI AS, Nydalen, Oslo, Norway
Br J Sports Med 46:91-4. 2012..The patients spend 14 weeks at the clinic followed by two 1-week visits 16 and 32 weeks postdischarge. Preliminary data from the 166 patients treated during 2006 are given...
- Nutritional processes of care for older adults admitted to an oncology-acute care for elders unitKellie L Flood
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of Gerontology, Geriatrics, and Palliative Care, United States
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 78:73-8. 2011..Acute care for elders (ACE) units have been established in the United States to prevent functional decline in older hospitalized patients...
- Risk factors for pressure ulcer development in a best practice surgical intensive care unitHeidi Frankel
Division of Burn Trauma Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Am Surg 73:1215-7. 2007..Independent risk factors include age greater than 60 years, diabetes, spinal cord injury, and renal insufficiency. Additional modalities, such as aggressive early mobilization, might be warranted in this cohort...
- Nutrition care for newborns with congenital heart diseaseMichelle Steltzer
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, The Herma Heart Center, 9000 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Clin Perinatol 32:1017-30, xi. 2005....
- Head and neck cancer patients treated with chemo-radiotherapy require individualized oncology nutritionDianne Kiyomoto
California Cancer Center, Fresno, CA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:412-5. 2007
- [Impaired glucose tolerance in chronic liver disease]Kazutomo Suzuki
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Koshigaya Hospital, Dokkyo University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:288-90. 2005
- [Importance of rehabilitation for the long-term management of COPD]K Schultz
Fachklinik Allgäu, Pfronten
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:508-12. 2007
- ADJUNCT VITAMIN A THERAPY FOR TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV/AIDSRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Iron Deficiency and Anemia in HIV and HCV-Infected WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. and elsewhere. ..
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relationship between mastitis and breastmilk HIV load and the epidemiology and microbiology of mastitis will be examined in a new cohort of HIV-infected lactating women. ..
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study should provide new insight into the epidemiology and biological mechanisms of anemia among older adults and help identify strategies aimed at the prevention and treatment of anemia. ..
- VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HIV INFECTED CHILDRENRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Oxidative Stress and the Pathogenesis of Sarcopenia and Disability in Older WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2008..AGEs are a potentially modifiable risk factor, as circulating AGEs can be lowered by dietary modification and by pharmacological intervention. ..
- PRETREATMENT FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN CRACK ABUSERSWendee Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- HIV Prevention in South AfricaWendee Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 3. To examine the moderating and mediating effects of such factors as abuse history, HIV status, AOD use, psychological distress, and relationship power on the effectiveness of the HIV prevention interventions. ..
- Choices: Family Physicians Treat Overweight ChildrenCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Children will be eligible for participation who are above the 90th percentile of BMI for age, and who can have the regular participation of at least one parent or guardian. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UConn Craniofacial Tissue Repair Regeneration ProgramSusan Reisine; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our vision is to create a rich environment of interdisciplinary research that spans basic, translational and community based research. ..
- NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMISTRY AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CANCERSteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are requesting two postdoctoral and six predoctoral trainee positions each year for this purpose. ..
- Woman-Focused HIV Prevention with Pregnant African-Americans in TreatmentWendee Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., HIV status, age, stage of pregnancy, relationships with men) that may influence response to the treatment. ..
- Rehabilitation Research & Training Center on Aging with Development DisabilitiesTamar Heller; Fiscal Year: 2007..2) Researchers will present their findings at an open conference on Day 1 to increase the knowledge of professionals in health services and the field of developmental disabilities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health and Quality of Life in ChildrenMARITA INGLEHART; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Pittsburgh Mind-Body Center - IIMichael Scheier; Fiscal Year: 2008..Support-in-kind from the host institutions will enable us to leverage the funds provided by the RFA to expand Center activities that would not otherwise be possible. ..
- COGNITIVE-BEHAVIORAL THERAPY FOR VULVODYNIARobin Masheb; Fiscal Year: 2002..Clinically, results from this study may provide a justified treatment option for women with vulvodynia. ..
- CBT and Dieting: Effects on Psychopathology and Weight in BEDRobin Masheb; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Preventing CVD in Native Populations: Traditional LivingCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Advances in CAM Clinical Research MethodologyCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Developing Patient-Centered Measures for Outcomes of CAM TherapiesCheryl K Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Woman Focused HIV Prevention with African-AmericansWendee Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..05/01) Page 3 Form Page 3 ..
- Discharge Planning and Telehealth for Post CABG EldersRuth Kleinpell; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Diethanolamine, brain development and adult memorySteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- EMPLOYMENT AND HEALTH STATUS IN WOMEN WITH FIBROMYALGIASusan Reisine; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- FAMILY BASED INTERVENTIONS: PRESCHOOL CHILDREN & PARENTSachiko St Jeor; Fiscal Year: 2001..With the successful implementation of this pilot study, a multicenter clinical trial will be developed using the materials/methods by study investigators. ..
- NUTRITION ACADEMIC AWARDLinda Van Horn; Fiscal Year: 2002..The generalizability of this model with potentially collaborative research opportunities with other medical schools in testing some of these strategies are further addressed. ..
- GROWTH RETARDATION IN CHRONIC RENAL FAILURERobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- UAMS PREVENTIVE NUTRITION PROJECTRonald Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2004..The team will collaborate with other Nutrition Academic Awardees to help develop national recommendations for preventive nutrition education. Resources will be developed to support ongoing preventive nutrition activities in Arkansas. ..
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Nutrition in Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Long-Term Olanzapine Treatment in children with AutismRichard Malone; Fiscal Year: 2008..Phase 2 is a long-term (6 months) maintenance study of olanzapine responders who continue on open-labeled treatment. Phase 3 is a naturalistic follow-up of subjects. Multiple measures and raters are employed. ..
- Magnesium and Asthma - Clinical TrialsJudith Stern; Fiscal Year: 2004..We do not anticipate that Mg supplementation will replace conventional treatment, but may complement and decrease the need for conventional medications. ..
- STATEWIDE CURRICULUM ENHANCEMENT OF NUTRITION EDUCATIONSachiko St Jeor; Fiscal Year: 2004..The project will have benefitted by the collaborative efforts, support, ideas and directions provided by the Academic Award Program and successful training models can be disseminated to other schools. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference: Folate, B12 and 1C MetabolismPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Similarly, the poster sessions also highlight the activities and needs of the younger participants. ..
- Reimbursement effects on enrollment in obesity treatmentDOUGLAS HEIMBURGER; Fiscal Year: 2005..If effective, our results will suggest a way to improve the delivery of obesity treatment and provide evidence for making reimbursement incentives part of a national strategy for curbing the obesity epidemic. ..
- Controlled Study of Olanzapine in Children with AutismRichard Malone; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Nutritional/Inflammatory Evaluation of Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Homeostatic Regulation of Folate MetabolismPatrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2010..5. regulation of cSHMT by folate/choline preserves dTMP pools at the expense of AdoMet synthesis. The long-term goals of this project are: 1. to define homeostatic mechanisms used bv cells to regulate folate metabolism. ..
- Folate-Genome Interactions in Colorectal CancerPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal of this project is: (1). to determine the mechanism whereby alterations in folate metabolism influence cancer risk. ..
- B-Vitamin Intake and Blood Pressure: The INTERMAP StudyLinda Van Horn; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF FOLATE CATABOLISMPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..2). to determine the risk that folate catabolism contributes to folate-associated pathologies. (3). to establish relationships between catecholamines and folate metabolism. ..
- OBESE FEMALE RESTRAINED EATERS : TWO TREATMENT OPTIONSJudith Stern; Fiscal Year: 2002..A manual of procedures will be generated to assist others in replicating the intervention. ..
- Naturopathic Treatments: Effects on Estrogen MetabolismHeather Greenlee; Fiscal Year: 2003..Data will be collected and analyzed on changes in estrogen rations and hormone profiles. ..