Summary: Adjustment and manipulation of the vertebral column.
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- Chronic spinal pain: a randomized clinical trial comparing medication, acupuncture, and spinal manipulationLynton G F Giles
National Unit for Multidisciplinary Studies of Spinal Pain, The University of Queensland, The Townsville Hospital, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1490-502; discussion 1502-3. 2003..A randomized controlled clinical trial was conducted...
- Manual therapy and exercise therapy in patients with chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial with 1-year follow-upOlav Frode Aure
Larvik Fysioterapi, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:525-31; discussion 531-2. 2003..A multicenter, randomized, controlled trial with 1-year follow-up...
- Neurophysiological effects of spinal manipulationJoel G Pickar
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, 1000 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803, USA
Spine J 2:357-71. 2002Despite clinical evidence for the benefits of spinal manipulation and the apparent wide usage of it, the biological mechanisms underlying the effects of spinal manipulation are not known...
- A review of the evidence for the effectiveness, safety, and cost of acupuncture, massage therapy, and spinal manipulation for back painDaniel C Cherkin
Group Health Cooperative and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:898-906. 2003..Conventional treatments, although widely used, have had limited success. Dissatisfied patients have, therefore, turned to complementary and alternative medical therapies and providers for care for back pain...
- A Cochrane review of manipulation and mobilization for mechanical neck disordersAnita R Gross
McMaster University, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Institute of Applied Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1541-8. 2004..Our systematic review of randomized trials assessed whether manipulation and mobilization relieve pain or improve function/disability, patient satisfaction, and global perceived effect in adults with mechanical neck disorders...
- The audible pop is not necessary for successful spinal high-velocity thrust manipulation in individuals with low back painTimothy W Flynn
US Army Baylor University Graduate Program in Physical Therapy, San Houston, Texas, 78234 6138, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1057-60. 2003To determine the relationship between an audible pop and symptomatic improvement with spinal manipulation in patients with low back pain (LBP).
- A systematic review of systematic reviews of spinal manipulationE Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
J R Soc Med 99:192-6. 2006To systematically collate and evaluate the evidence from recent systematic reviews of clinical trials of spinal manipulation.
- Which subgroups of patients with non-specific neck pain are more likely to benefit from spinal manipulation therapy, physiotherapy, or usual care?Jasper Mattijs Schellingerhout
Department of General Practice, Erasmus Medical Centre, CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pain 139:670-80. 2008..subgroups of patients with non-specific neck pain who are more likely to benefit from either physiotherapy, spinal manipulation therapy, or usual care, on the short- and long-term...
- Comparison of posteroanterior spinal stiffness measures to clinical and demographic findings at baseline in patients enrolled in a clinical study of spinal manipulation for low back painEdward F Owens
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, Davenport, Iowa 52803, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 30:493-500. 2007..The current report is an analysis of the baseline PAS data, with particular emphasis on relationships between PAS and clinical and demographic characteristics...
- Validation of the cat as a model for the human lumbar spine during simulated high-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulationAllyson Ianuzzi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Biomech Eng 132:071008. 2010High-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulation (HVLA-SM) is an efficacious treatment for low back pain, although the physiological mechanisms underlying its effects remain elusive...
- Spinal reflex excitability changes after cervical and lumbar spinal manipulation: a comparative studyJ Donald Dishman
Department of Anatomy, New York Chiropractic College, 2360 SR 89, Seneca Falls, NY 13148, USA
Spine J 3:204-12. 2003b>Spinal manipulation (SM) is a commonly employed nonoperative treatment modality in the management of patients with neck, low back or pelvic pain...
- Atherosclerosis in the vertebral artery: an intrinsic risk factor in the use of spinal manipulation?Barbara Cagnie
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, 6K3, 9000, Ghent, Belgium
Surg Radiol Anat 28:129-34. 2006..plaques and their influence on the vertebral artery is of clinical importance within the scope of spinal manipulation. Manipulation may stimulate the development of atherosclerotic plaques, could detach an embolus with ..
- Active range of motion in the cervical spine increases after spinal manipulation (toggle recoil)W Whittingham
Plymouth Chiropractic Clinic, Plymouth, UK
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:552-5. 2001BACKGROUND: It has generally been assumed that spinal manipulation has the biomechanical effect of increasing spinal range of motion...
- Psychological response in spinal manipulation (PRISM): a systematic review of psychological outcomes in randomised controlled trialsNefyn H Williams
Department of General Practice, Cardiff University, Centre for Health Services Research North Wales Clinical School, Gwenfro Building, Wrecsam Technology Park, Wrecsam LL13 7YP, United Kingdom
Complement Ther Med 15:271-83. 2007The most important risk factors for back and neck pain are psychosocial. Nevertheless, systematic reviews of spinal manipulation have concentrated on pain and spine related disability, and ignored psychological outcomes.
- Spinal reflex attenuation associated with spinal manipulationJ D Dishman
Department of Anatomy, New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, New York 13148, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2519-24;discussion 2525. 2000This study evaluated the effect of lumbosacral spinal manipulation with thrust and spinal mobilization without thrust on the excitability of the alpha motoneuronal pool in human subjects without low back pain.
- [Spinal manipulation: survey of French medical physicians who graduated with the national diploma of osteopathy from Strasbourg University]G Egizii
Service de médecine physique et réadaptation, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Ann Readapt Med Phys 48:623-31. 2005The use of spinal manipulation (SM) is widespread, particularly in English-speaking countries, where many studies are published showing its popularity...
- Spinal manipulation force and duration affect vertebral movement and neuromuscular responsesChristopher J Colloca
Biomechanics Laboratory, Exercise and Sport Research Institute, Department of Kinesiology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 21:254-62. 2006..Previous study in human subjects has documented biomechanical and neurophysiological responses to impulsive spinal manipulative thrusts, but very little is known about the neuromechanical effects of varying thrust force-time profiles...
- Comparison of effects of spinal manipulation and massage on motoneuron excitabilityJ D Dishman
Department of Anatomy, New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, New York, USA
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 41:97-106. 2001..of this study was to compare the magnitude and duration of motoneuron inhibition occurring as a sequel to spinal manipulation or paraspinal and limb massage...
- Does the evidence for spinal manipulation translate into better outcomes in routine clinical care for patients with occupational low back pain? A case-control studyJulie M Fritz
Division of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 520 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84119, USA
Spine J 6:289-95. 2006..The application of this evidence and its effect on clinical outcomes among patients with occupational low back pain has not been examined...
- Comparison of human lumbar facet joint capsule strains during simulated high-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulation versus physiological motionsAllyson Ianuzzi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Health Sciences Center, T18 030, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Spine J 5:277-90. 2005b>Spinal manipulation (SM) is an effective treatment for low back pain (LBP), and it has been theorized that SM induces a beneficial neurophysiological effect by stimulating mechanically sensitive neurons in the lumbar facet joint capsule (..
- Procedural skills in spinal manipulation: do prerequisites matter?John J Triano
Texas Back Institute, 6300 West Parker Road, Suite 102, Plano, TX 75093, USA
Spine J 4:557-63. 2004b>Spinal manipulation has undergone a resurgence of interest. Developing evidence suggests a relationship between safety, skill and clinical outcome...
- Paraspinal cutaneous temperature modification after spinal manipulation at L5Richard A Roy
Département de kinanthropologie, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, CP 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33:308-14. 2010..The purpose of this study was to investigate local paraspinal cutaneous temperature (CT) modifications after spinal manipulative therapy at L5...
- Medication-assisted spinal manipulationFrank J Kohlbeck
Health Services Department, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Spine J 2:288-302. 2002The acceptance of spinal manipulation as a reasonable method of treating certain patients with spinal pain over the past decade has led to a renewed interest and increased use of these techniques performed in conjunction with commonly ..
- Nonvascular complications following spinal manipulationJeffrey S Oppenheim
Section of Neurosurgery, Good Samaritan Hospital, 255 Lafayette Avenue, Suffern, NY 10901, USA
Spine J 5:660-6; discussion 666-7. 2005b>Spinal manipulation is associated with various vascular and nonvascular complications. Most prior studies have focused on the vascular complications.
- Cervical intradural disc herniation after spinal manipulation therapy in a patient with ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament: a case report and review of the literatureJung Hao Hsieh
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Change Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E149-51. 2010..Case report and review of the literature...
- Observed changes in lateral abdominal muscle thickness after spinal manipulation: a case series using rehabilitative ultrasound imagingNicole H Raney
Physical Medicine Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 37:472-9. 2007..Case series...
- An investigation into the production of intra-articular gas bubbles and increase in joint space in the zygapophyseal joints of the cervical spine in asymptomatic subjects after spinal manipulationVincenzo Cascioli
Welsh Institute of Chiropractic, Wales, UK
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 26:356-64. 2003..The data obtained before the manipulation were compared with data obtained after the manipulation to determine if significant alterations occurred...
- A clinical prediction rule to identify patients with low back pain most likely to benefit from spinal manipulation: a validation studyJohn D Childs
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Ann Intern Med 141:920-8. 2004Conflicting evidence exists about the effectiveness of spinal manipulation.
- Risks associated with spinal manipulationClare Stevinson
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Sport and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom
Am J Med 112:566-71. 2002The aim of this systematic review was to summarize the evidence about the risks of spinal manipulation. Articles were located through searching three electronic databases (MEDLINE, EMBASE, Cochrane Library), contacting experts (n =9), ..
- Cervical mobilisation: concurrent effects on pain, sympathetic nervous system activity and motor activityM Sterling
Department of Physiotherapy, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Australia
Man Ther 6:72-81. 2001..The combination of all findings would support the proposal that SMT may, at least initially, exert part of its influence via activation of the PAG...
- Methodological quality of randomized controlled trials of spinal manipulation and mobilization in tension-type headache, migraine, and cervicogenic headacheCésar Fernández-de-Las-Peñas
Department of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 36:160-9. 2006..Literature review of quality of clinical trials...
- Spinal manipulation alters electromyographic activity of paraspinal muscles: a descriptive studyJames W Devocht
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, Davenport, Iowa 52803, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 28:465-71. 2005To examine the effect of spinal manipulation on electromyographic (EMG) activity in areas of localized tight muscle bundles of the low back.
- The influence of expectation on spinal manipulation induced hypoalgesia: an experimental study in normal subjectsJoel E Bialosky
University of Florida Department of Physical Therapy, Gainesville, Florida, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:19. 2008..The purpose of the current study was to determine the effect of subject expectation on hypoalgesia associated with SMT...
- Immediate effects of spinal manipulation on thermal pain sensitivity: an experimental studySteven Z George
Department of Physical Therapy, Brooks Center for Rehabilitation Studies, PO Box 100154, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0154, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 7:68. 2006The underlying causes of spinal manipulation hypoalgesia are largely unknown...
- Efficacy of cervical endplay assessment as an indicator for spinal manipulationMitchell Haas
Division of Research, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, Oregon 97230, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1091-6; discussion 1096. 2003..Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial...
- Efficacy of spinal manipulative therapy for low back pain of less than three months' durationManuela L Ferreira
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Australia
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 26:593-601. 2003To review the efficacy of spinal manipulation for low back pain of less than 3 months duration...
- A randomized clinical trial of exercise and spinal manipulation for patients with chronic neck painG Bronfort
Northwestern Health Sciences University, Bloomington, Minnesota, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:788-97; discussion 798-9. 2001..A randomized, parallel-group, single-blinded clinical trial was performed. After a 1-week baseline period, patients were randomized to 11 weeks of therapy, with posttreatment follow-up assessment 3, 6, and 12 months later...
- Pragmatic application of a clinical prediction rule in primary care to identify patients with low back pain with a good prognosis following a brief spinal manipulation interventionJulie M Fritz
Division of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 520 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
BMC Fam Pract 6:29. 2005..One sub-group that has been identified is patients who respond rapidly to spinal manipulation. The purpose of this study was to examine the association between two factors (duration and distribution of ..
- Training primary care physicians to give limited manual therapy for low back pain: patient outcomesP Curtis
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7595, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2954-60; discussion 2960-1. 2000..Randomized controlled study of standard manual therapy given by 31 generalist physicians to 295 patients, in primary care practice...
- Comparison of short-term response to two spinal manipulation techniques for patients with low back pain in a military beneficiary populationThomas G Sutlive
U S Army Baylor University Doctoral Program in Physical Therapy, 3151 Scott Road, Suite 1303, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Mil Med 174:750-6. 2009..whether military health care beneficiaries with low back pain (LBP) who are likely to respond successfully to spinal manipulation experience a difference in short-term clinical outcomes based on the manipulation technique that is used.
- Effects of spinal manipulation on trunk proprioception in subjects with chronic low back pain during symptom remissionKenneth E Learman
Department of Physical Therapy, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, Ohio, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 32:118-26. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine the immediate effects of spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) on trunk proprioception in subjects with asymptomatic chronic low back pain (CLBP) and determine if those effects lasted 1 week...
- A perspective for considering the risks and benefits of spinal manipulation in patients with low back painJohn D Childs
US Army Baylor University Doctoral Program in Physical Therapy, 3151 Scott Rd, Rm 2307, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Man Ther 11:316-20. 2006..2, 219.2). The results of this study offer an additional perspective for considering the risks and benefits of spinal manipulation and help to inform the integration of current evidence for spinal manipulation into healthcare policy.
- A true blind for subjects who receive spinal manipulation therapyGregory N Kawchuk
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:366-8. 2009..To determine if short-duration anesthesia (propofol and remifentanil) can blind subjects to the provision or withholding of spinal manipulative therapy (SMT)...
- Motor-evoked potentials recorded from lumbar erector spinae muscles: a study of corticospinal excitability changes associated with spinal manipulationJ Donald Dishman
Department Structure Anatomy, Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida, 477 City Center Pkwy, Port Orange, FL 32129, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:258-70. 2008The purpose of this study was to determine if high-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulation (SM) altered the effects of corticospinal excitability on motoneuron activity innervating the paraspinal muscles...
- A randomized controlled trial comparing 2 types of spinal manipulation and minimal conservative medical care for adults 55 years and older with subacute or chronic low back painMaria A Hondras
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, Davenport, Iowa 52803, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 32:330-43. 2009..older patients for low back pain (LBP), but there are no published results of randomized trials examining spinal manipulation (SM) for older adults...
- UK Back pain Exercise And Manipulation (UK BEAM) trial--national randomised trial of physical treatments for back pain in primary care: objectives, design and interventions [ISRCTN32683578]S Brealey
Institute of Community Health Sciences, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Mile End, London, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 3:16. 2003..It aims to establish if, when added to best care in general practice, a defined package of spinal manipulation and a defined programme of exercise classes (Back to Fitness) improve participant-assessed outcomes...
- Central neuronal plasticity, low back pain and spinal manipulative therapyRobert W Boal
Basic Science Department, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, Ore 97230, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 27:314-26. 2004..Brief descriptions of LTP and LTD and elaboration of the key roles of calcium, glutamate, and glutamate receptors in LTP/LTD are provided as separate appendices...
- Risk factors and precipitating neck movements causing vertebrobasilar artery dissection after cervical trauma and spinal manipulationS Haldeman
Department of Neurology, University of California, Irvine, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:785-94. 1999..Potential precipitating events and risk factors for vertebrobasilar artery dissection were reviewed in an analysis of the English language literature published before 1993...
- Manipulation of the cervical spine: risks and benefitsR P Di Fabio
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Minnesota, UMHC, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Phys Ther 79:50-65. 1999..The literature does not demonstrate that the benefits of MCS outweigh the risks. Several recommendations for future studies and for the practice of MCS are discussed...
- First Prize: Central motor excitability changes after spinal manipulation: a transcranial magnetic stimulation studyJ Donald Dishman
Department of Anatomy, New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, NY, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 25:1-9. 2002The physiologic mechanism by which spinal manipulation may reduce pain and muscular spasm is not fully understood...
- Adverse effects of spinal manipulation: a systematic reviewE Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Exeter, UK
J R Soc Med 100:330-8. 2007To identify adverse effects of spinal manipulation.
- Efficacy of spinal manipulation and mobilization for low back pain and neck pain: a systematic review and best evidence synthesisGert Bronfort
Department of Research, Wolfe Harris Center for Clinical Studies, Northwestern Health Sciences University, 2501 W, 84th Street Bloomington, MN 55431, USA
Spine J 4:335-56. 2004..clinical trials (RCTs), a substantial number of reviews and several national clinical guidelines, much controversy still remains regarding the evidence for or against efficacy of spinal manipulation for low back pain and neck pain.
- Spinal manipulation for asthma: a systematic review of randomised clinical trialsE Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
Respir Med 103:1791-5. 2009Some clinicians believe that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment for asthma. The aim of this systematic review was to critically evaluate the evidence for or against this claim...
- Factors related to the inability of individuals with low back pain to improve with a spinal manipulationJulie M Fritz
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, 6035 Forbes Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Phys Ther 84:173-90. 2004Although spinal manipulation is one of the few interventions for low back pain supported by evidence, it appears to be underutilized by physical therapists, possibly due to therapists' concerns that a patient may not benefit from the ..
- Dose response and efficacy of spinal manipulation for chronic cervicogenic headache: a pilot randomized controlled trialMitchell Haas
Center for Outcomes Studies, Western States Chiropractic College, 2900 NE 132nd Ave, Portland, OR 97230, USA
Spine J 10:117-28. 2010..Systematic reviews of randomized controlled trials suggest that spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) is efficacious for care of cervicogenic headache (CGH). The effect of SMT dose on outcomes has not been studied...
- A preliminary path analysis of expectancy and patient-provider encounter in an open-label randomized controlled trial of spinal manipulation for cervicogenic headacheMitchell Haas
Dean of Research, Center for Outcomes Studies, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, OR 97230, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33:5-13. 2010..The purpose of this article was to present a preliminary model to identify the effects of expectancy of treatment success and the patient-provider encounter (PPE) on outcomes in an open-label randomized trial...
- Causes of complications from cervical spine manipulationT Mann
Corrimal Physiotherapy, Corrimal, New South Wales 2518
Aust J Physiother 47:255-66. 2001..It is recommended that the procedures described in the APA guidelines be applied prior to every manipulation, and that manipulation be avoided in the presence of any signs of vertebrobasilar insufficiency...
- A biomechanical model for mechanically efficient cavitation production during spinal manipulation: prethrust position and the neutral zoneDavid W Evans
School of Health and Rehabilitation, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:72-82. 2006
- A comparison of osteopathic spinal manipulation with standard care for patients with low back painG B Andersson
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 341:1426-31. 1999The effect of osteopathic manual therapy (i.e., spinal manipulation) in patients with chronic and subchronic back pain is largely unknown, and its use in such patients is controversial...
- Efficacy of spinal manipulation for chronic headache: a systematic reviewG Bronfort
Department of Research, Wolfe Harris Center for Clinical Studies, Northwestern Health Sciences University, Bloomington, MN 55431, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:457-66. 2001..Complementary or alternative therapies are increasingly being used by patients to treat headache pain, and spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) is among the most common of these...
- Spinal manipulative therapy for low back pain. A meta-analysis of effectiveness relative to other therapiesWillem J J Assendelft
The Cochrane Back Review Group, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 138:871-81. 2003..Low back pain is a costly illness for which spinal manipulative therapy is commonly recommended. Previous systematic reviews and practice guidelines have reached discordant results on the effectiveness of this therapy for low back pain...
- Sources of bias in reviews of spinal manipulation for back painPeter H Canter
Peninsula Medical School, Complementary Medicine, University of Plymouth, Exeter, UK
Wien Klin Wochenschr 117:333-41. 2005The effectiveness of spinal manipulation as a treatment for back pain remains uncertain and controversial...
- Spinal manipulation: are the benefits worth the risks?E Ernst
Expert Rev Neurother 7:1451-2. 2007
- The effectiveness of spinal manipulation for the treatment of headache disorders: a systematic review of randomized clinical trialsJ A Astin
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, USA
Cephalalgia 22:617-23. 2002To carry out a systematic review of the literature examining the effectiveness of spinal manipulation for the treatment of headache disorders, computerized literature searches were carried out in Medline, Embase, Amed and CISCOM...
- Improved contraction of the transversus abdominis immediately following spinal manipulation: a case study using real-time ultrasound imagingNorman W Gill
US Army Baylor University Post Professional Doctoral Program in Orthopaedic and Manual Physical Therapy, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX 78233, USA
Man Ther 12:280-5. 2007
- Adverse events associated with pediatric spinal manipulation: a systematic reviewSunita Vohra
CARE Program, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E1
Pediatrics 119:e275-83. 2007b>Spinal manipulation is a noninvasive manual procedure applied to specific body tissues with therapeutic intent. Although spinal manipulation is commonly used in children, there is limited understanding of the pediatric risk estimates.
- Qualitative review of studies of manipulation-induced hypoalgesiaH Vernon
Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, Toronto, Ontario
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 23:134-8. 2000The number of studies that have investigated the direct analgesic effect of a spinal manipulation on spinal or referred pain is small, making knowledge of this crucial aspect of manipulation sparse...
- How common are side effects of spinal manipulation and can these side effects be predicted?Barbara Cagnie
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Ghent University, DePintelaan 185, 6K3, Ghent 9000, Belgium
Man Ther 9:151-6. 2004Little scientific support is available concerning usual and unusual reactions after spinal manipulation although such reactions are very common in clinical practice...
- Assessment of published reliability studies for cervical spine range-of-motion measurement toolsK Jordan
Research Fellow, Centre for Health Planning and Management and Department of Mathematics, Keele University, United Kingdom
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 23:180-95. 2000..To assess the reliability of tools to measure cervical spine range of motion in clinical settings and discuss the necessary components for reliability studies...
- Spinal manipulation for low-back pain: a treatment package agreed to by the UK chiropractic, osteopathy and physiotherapy professional associationsE Harvey
Department of Health Sciences, Alcuin College, University of York, York, UK
Man Ther 8:46-51. 2003..This paper describes a spinal manipulation package agreed by the UK professional bodies that represent chiropractors, osteopaths and physiotherapists...
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis treated by spinal manipulation: a case studyKao Chang Chen
Division of Acupuncture and Chinese Traumatology, Department of TCM, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Altern Complement Med 14:749-51. 2008..This report of one case illustrates the potential effect of chiropractic manipulative therapy on back pain and curve progression in the at-risk, skeletally immature patient with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis...
- Spinal manipulation in physical therapist professional degree education: A model for teaching and integration into clinical practiceTimothy W Flynn
Department of Physical Therapy, Regis University, Denver, CO 80221 1099, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 36:577-87. 2006b>Spinal manipulation for low back complaints is an intervention supported by randomized clinical trials and its use recommended by clinical practice guidelines...
- United Kingdom back pain exercise and manipulation (UK BEAM) trial: is manipulation the most cost effective addition to "best care"?Torill H Tveito
BMJ 330:674; author reply 674. 2005
- Spinal manipulation for primary and secondary dysmenorrhoeaM L Proctor
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2006..One possible treatment is spinal manipulation therapy...
- Early intervention for the management of acute low back pain: a single-blind randomized controlled trial of biopsychosocial education, manual therapy, and exerciseBenedict M Wand
School of Physiotherapy, University of Notre Dame, Fremantle, WA, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2350-6. 2004..A single blind randomized controlled trial comparing two models of care for patients with acute simple low back pain...
- Improved activation of lumbar multifidus following spinal manipulation: a case report applying rehabilitative ultrasound imagingAlexander K Brenner
Physical Training and Rehabilitation Program, 46th Adjutant General Battalion Reception, Fort Knox, KY, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 37:613-9. 2007..Case report...
- Recruitment and accrual of women in a randomized controlled trial of spinal manipulationJ A Cambron
Research Department, National University of Health Sciences, Lombard, Ill 60148, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:79-83. 2001..To report on recruitment efforts and accrual rates for a nonmusculoskeletal chiropractic clinical trial...
- Randomised controlled trial of infantile colic treated with chiropractic spinal manipulationE Olafsdottir
Department of Paediatrics, University of Bergen, 5021 Bergen, Norway
Arch Dis Child 84:138-41. 2001To investigate the efficacy of chiropractic spinal manipulation in the management of infantile colic.
- A clinical prediction rule for classifying patients with low back pain who demonstrate short-term improvement with spinal manipulationTimothy Flynn
U S Army Baylor University Graduate Program in Physical Therapy, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2835-43. 2002..A prospective, cohort study of patients with nonradicular low back pain referred to physical therapy...
- Neuromechanical characterization of in vivo lumbar spinal manipulation. Part II. Neurophysiological responseChristopher J Colloca
State of the Art Chiropractic Center, Pheonix, AZ, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 26:579-91. 2003..To simultaneously quantify vertebral motions and neuromuscular and spinal nerve root responses to mechanical force, manually assisted, short-lever spinal manipulative thrusts...
- Professional responsibility in relation to cervical spine manipulationKathryn M Refshauge
School of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW
Aust J Physiother 48:171-9; discussion 180-5. 2002..By taking such measures, we could ensure that our profession exercises wisdom in its monitoring and use of cervical manipulation...
- Two-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial of spinal manipulation and two types of exercise for patients with chronic neck painRoni Evans
Northwestern Health Sciences University, Bloomington, Minnesota 55431, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2383-9. 2002..Randomized clinical trial...
- Chiropractic manipulation and stroke: a population-based case-control studyD M Rothwell
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 32:1054-60. 2001..The rarity of VBAs makes this association difficult to study despite high volumes of chiropractic treatment. Because of the popularity of spinal manipulation, high-quality research on both its risks and benefits is recommended.
- Spinal manipulation causes variable spine kinematic and trunk muscle electromyographic responsesG J Lehman
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, UW Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College Research Clinic, University of Waterloo, Ont, Canada
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 16:293-9. 2001..Analytic cohort with a convenience sample in a research clinic...
- The short-term effect of spinal manipulation in the treatment of infantile colic: a randomized controlled clinical trial with a blinded observerJ M Wiberg
Center for Biomechanics, Odense University, Denmark
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 22:517-22. 1999To determine whether there is a short-term effect of spinal manipulation in the treatment of infantile colic.
- The efficacy of spinal manipulation, amitriptyline and the combination of both therapies for the prophylaxis of migraine headacheC F Nelson
Center for Clinical Studies, Northwestern College of Chiropractic, Bloomington, MN 55431, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 21:511-9. 1998Migraine headache affects approximately 11 million adults in the United States. Spinal manipulation is a common alternative therapy for headaches, but its efficacy compared with standard medical therapies is unknown.
- Determining cavitation location during lumbar and thoracic spinal manipulation: is spinal manipulation accurate and specific?J Kim Ross
Spine Biomechanics Laboratory, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1452-7. 2004..Twenty-eight different clinicians performed thoracic and lumbar spinal manipulative procedures. The range of clinical experience was 1 to 43 years...
- A preliminary investigation into the relationship between cervical snags and sympathetic nervous system activity in the upper limbs of an asymptomatic populationAndrea Moulson
School of Paramedic Sciences, Physiotherapy and Radiography, Faculty of Health and Human Science, University of Hertfordshire, College Road, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9AB, UK
Man Ther 11:214-24. 2006..The importance of this sympathoexcitatory effect in relation to potential mechanisms for manipulation induced analgesia are discussed, and further areas of research proposed...
- Manual therapy provided by physical therapists in a hospital-based setting: a retrospective analysisChad Cook
Department of Surgery, Center for Excellence in Surgical Outcomes, Durham, NC, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:338-43. 2008....
- Stretching exercises vs manual therapy in treatment of chronic neck pain: a randomized, controlled cross-over trialJari Ylinen
Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Jyvaskyla Central Hospital, Keskussairaalantie 19, Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Rehabil Med 39:126-32. 2007..To compare the effects of manual therapy and stretching exercise on neck pain and disability...
- Thoraco lumbar junction syndrome: a case reportDeepak Sebastian
Institute of Manual Physical Therapy, Alternative Rehab Inc, Livonia, MI 48152, USA
Physiother Theory Pract 22:53-60. 2006..The anatomical and clinical relevance to this scenario is described. The thoracolumbar junction is described as a predominant contributor to the symptomatology. Its complementary role to the lumbosacral junction is enumerated...
- Foraminal stenosis with radiculopathy from a cervical disc herniation in a 33-year-old man treated with flexion distraction decompression manipulationSharina Gudavalli
Private Practice, Naperville, Ill, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:376-80. 2008..The purpose of this report was to describe the use of Cox flexion distraction decompression manipulation on a patient with radiculopathy from a C6/C7 disc herniation...
- Treatments for back pain: can we get past trivial effects?Richard A Deyo
Ann Intern Med 141:957-8. 2004
- Relation between changes in posteroanterior stiffness and active range of movement of the cervical spine following manual therapy treatmentNeil Tuttle
From the School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, Queensland, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E673-9. 2008..Repeated measures study of active and passive movements in patients with neck pain...
- Changes in neck pain and active range of motion after a single thoracic spine manipulation in subjects presenting with mechanical neck pain: a case seriesCésar Fernández-de-Las-Peñas
Escuela de Osteopatía de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 30:312-20. 2007..Our aim was to report changes in neck pain at rest, active cervical range of motion, and neck pain at end-range of cervical motion after a single thoracic spine manipulation in a case series of patients with mechanical neck pain...
- Sick leave reductions from a comprehensive manual therapy programme for low back pain: the Gotland Low Back Pain StudyJ Bogefeldt
Uppsala University, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Family Medicine Section, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Rehabil 22:529-41. 2008..To evaluate if a comprehensive manual therapy programme reduces sick leave due low back pain and facilitates return to work more than the conventional optimized activating care...
- Predictors for immediate and global responses to chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spineHaymo W Thiel
Anglo European College of Chiropractic, Bournemouth, BH5 2DF England, UK
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:172-83. 2008..Patients with nonspecific musculoskeletal disorders may vary in their response to treatment. This study set out to identify the predictors for either improvement or worsening in symptoms for which cervical spine manipulation is indicated...
- [Use of local injections of tolperisone (midocalm) in combination with tractional therapy in the treatment of vertebral static syndrome]Ia Iu Zakharov
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 107:30-4. 2007..A quantitative assessment revealed that in the indexed group treatment efficacy was 1,56 times higher and the effect achieved sooner than in the comparison group...
- Efficacy of manipulation for non-specific neck pain of recent onset: design of a randomised controlled trialAndrew M Leaver
Back Pain Research Group, Discipline of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170 Lidcombe NSW 1825 Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 8:18. 2007..The primary aim of this study is to determine whether neck manipulation provides more rapid resolution of an episode of neck pain than mobilisation...
- Comparison of general exercise, motor control exercise and spinal manipulative therapy for chronic low back pain: A randomized trialManuela L Ferreira
School of Physiotherapy, Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Pain 131:31-7. 2007....
- Efficacy of a C1-C2 self-sustained natural apophyseal glide (SNAG) in the management of cervicogenic headacheToby Hall
School of Physiotherapy, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 37:100-7. 2007..Randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial...
- CENTRAL MECHANISMS OF MANIPULATIVE AND BODY-BASED INTERVENTIONS: TRAINING PROGRAMCharles W Gay; Fiscal Year: 2013..during and after a transient state of pain hypersensitivity, and (2) Measure the immediate effect of spinal manipulation on the synchronized neural activity...
- Cost effectiveness of spinal manipulative therapy for seniors with neck painBrent Leininger; Fiscal Year: 2013..to become an independent clinical research scientist investigating the clinical and cost effectiveness of spinal manipulation therapy (SMT) for neck and back pain conditions...
- Novel Analytical Tools for 3 Dimensional Imaging Studies on Spinal ManipulationNozomu Inoue; Fiscal Year: 2013..which have been developed for spine biomechanics, will also be adapted for clinical studies on spinal manipulation. The analyses will include: 3D spinal alignment, 3D kinematics of the spinal motion segment during flexion, ..
- Effect of Lumbar Hypo &Hypermobility on Sensory Responses to Spinal ManipulationWILLIAM RAY REED; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, individuals with low back pain and spinal hypomobility have been shown to respond better to spinal manipulation than those with spinal joint hypermobility...
- Dose-Response of Manipulation for Cervicogenic HeadacheMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): There have been a number of studies supporting the efficacy of spinal manipulation, the signature therapy of chiropractic care, for cervicogenic headache (CGH)...
- Dose-Response/Efficacy of Manipulation for Chronic LBPMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2010There have been a number of studies supporting the efficacy of spinal manipulation, the signature therapy of chiropractic care, for low back pain (LBP)...
- Yoga Therapy to Improve Function among Veterans with Chronic Low Back PainErik J Groessl; Fiscal Year: 2012..Existing treatments for CLBP such as medication, physical therapy, exercise, and spinal manipulation have been shown to have small to moderate effects...
- Automated Connective Tissue Torque SensorRobert T Davis; Fiscal Year: 2011..A major obstacle to the incorporation of manual therapies such as massage and spinal manipulation into our health care system is the lack of methods to objectively measure the effect of treatments...
- A Comparison of Manual VS. Mechanical Chiropractic Manipulation MethodsMichael J Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2012..Systematic reviews of the literature have described at least 42 randomized trials using spinal manipulation as a treatment for LBP, the majority of which utilized some variety of MTM but no high quality studies ..
- Utilization and Safety of Chiropractic Care in Older AdultsJames M Whedon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim #2 will evaluate the incidence of stroke and certain stroke subtypes following chiropractic spinal manipulation among adults over 65...
- The RELIEF StudyJames S Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants with chronic low back pain will be randomly assigned to one of the three treatment arms: 1) spinal manipulation, 2) spinal mobilization, or 3) sham ultrasound therapy (n=54/treatment arm)...
- Automated Connective Tissue Torque SensorRobert Davis; Fiscal Year: 2007..A major obstacle to the incorporation of manual therapies such as massage and spinal manipulation into our health care system is the lack of methods to objectively measure the effect of treatments...
- Developmental Center to Study Mechanisms & Effects of Chiropractic ManipulationJoel G Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Spinal manipulation is a form of body-based therapy patients often seek for treatment of musculoskeletal complaints...
- Developmental Center for Clinical and Translational Science in ChiropracticCHRISTINE MARIE GOERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..The central scientific theme of this DCRC I application is to evaluate non-rotary chiropractic spinal manipulation (SM) for cervical spine and related dysfunctions...
- Implementing Evidence-Based Treatments for Persistent Back Pain into Primary CareDaniel C Cherkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., spinal manipulation, acupuncture, massage, yoga, cognitive behavioral therapy, progressive relaxation)...
- Generalizing a valid control procedure for cervical manipulation to a multiple opHOWARD TERRY VERNON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The largest number of trials involves spinal manipulation as the primary therapy...
- Care Choices and Costs for Low Back PainSylvia Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2006..evidence-based guidelines for its treatment recommend both traditional and alternative therapies - such as spinal manipulation - prescribed by medical doctors (MDs) and doctors of chiropractic (DCs), respectively...
- A Comparison of Manual VS. Mechanical Chiropractic Manipulation MethodsMichael Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2009..The relevance of this research to public health is that chiropractors provide the vast majority of spinal manipulation treatments used for the treatment of low back pain, yet there is a paucity of data on the comparison of the ..
- Internal tissues affected by spinal manipulationGREGORY KAWCHUK; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information will not only help to reduce the tremendous cost and morbidity of back pain, but lead us toward understanding the causes of back pain itself. ..
- PILOT STUDY OF SPINAL MANIPULATION FOR CHRONIC NECK PAINRand Swenson; Fiscal Year: 2000..While chiropractors employ several types of treatment, spinal manipulation is the most important and unique of these therapies...
- Efficacy of Instrument-Assisted Manipulation Determined by an Animal ModelARLAN FUHR; Fiscal Year: 2009..of varying times of delivery and force settings of a commercially available instrument used to achieve spinal manipulation, known as the Activator...
- Evaluating Yoga for Chronic Low Back PainKaren Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although there have been numerous randomized trials evaluating the effectiveness of spinal manipulation and acupuncture for back pain, no trials could be identified that evaluated yoga...
- Biomechanics of spinal manipulation using a cat modelAllyson Ianuzzi; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Spinal manipulation (SM) is an effective treatment for low back pain, though the mechanisms by which it is effective remain elusive...
- IMPAIRED VERTEBRAL MOBILITY AND BONE MINERAL DENSITYKAREN SNIDER; Fiscal Year: 2000..of palpatory diagnosis of segmental mobility; and 3) to develop methodology for defining outcomes of spinal manipulation. The major hypotheses to be tested are: 1) Impairment of segmental vertebral mobility is associated with ..
- Chiropractic, Medication, and Self-care for Neck PainGert Bronfort; Fiscal Year: 2005..are increasingly seeking relief through complementary and alternative medicine therapies, like chiropractic spinal manipulation. Little is known, however, about the short- and long-term relative efficacy of these therapies and how they ..
- Does spinal manipulation speed determine neural responseJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2002The goal of this R21 PROJECT is two-fold: 1) to increase our understanding regarding the effects of spinal manipulation on the nervous system and 2) to seek a scientific basis for the continued investigation of the role of proprioceptors ..
- VERTEBRAL POSITION ALTERS MUSCLE SPINDLE SENSITIVITYJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2006Idiopathic low back pain and the therapeutic use of spinal manipulation make a significant impact clinically, socially, and financially...
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF LUMBAR FACET MOVEMENTJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2001..mechanisms that contribute to lumbar spine function; the second is to understand the mechanisms by which spinal manipulation affects low back pain...
- Z Joint Changes in Low Back Pain Following AdjustingGregory Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will be used to increase understanding of the mechanism of action of lumbar side posture adjusting and side-posture positioning in acute LBP patients. ..
- Dose-Response of Manipulation for Chronic HeadacheMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2006..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): There have been a number of studies suggesting the efficacy of spinal manipulation, the signature therapy of chiropractic (DC) care, for chronic headache (HA)...
- Validation of a novel sham cervical spinal manipulation procedure.Howard Vernon; Fiscal Year: 2008..The largest number of trials involves spinal manipulation as the primary therapy...
- Mechanisms of Neural Mobilization for Chronic PainSTEVEN GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data may also provide support for a future clinical trial investigating the efficacy of median nerve NMT for patients with CTS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Behavioral Interventions for Low Back PainSTEVEN GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Evaluating Reversible Spinal Fixation in Biped RatsCharles Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2003..needed to evaluate outcomes that are predicted by current theoretical models explaining the mechanism of spinal manipulation. Our group has recently designed and collected data on a quadruped rat model of the manipulable lesion that ..
- Osteopuncture for OA-Associated Knee Pain & DisabilityDebra Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, mechanisms of action will be explored, and the impact of osteopuncture on health care costs determined. ..
- Motor Control Deficit in Low Back Pain: Cause or Effect?Jacek Cholewicki; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of the proposed research will have a significant clinical relevance for designing more effective prevention, diagnosis, and rehabilitation strategies for LBP. ..
- Functional Impact of PENS for 65+ Chronic Low Back PainDebra Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Mechanisms and Effects of Chiropractic ManipulationWilliam Meeker; Fiscal Year: 2006..The central scientific theme of the Center is focused on spinal manipulation (SM), low back pain (LBP), and the mechanisms of action of SM...
- SERCA2a and Cardiac Alternans: Insights from Gene TherapyMICHAEL CUTLER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Moreover, this will be one of the first investigations of cardiac alternans in HF, the most common setting for SCD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANICALLY-BASED IMPAIRMENT MEASURES OF LOW BACK PAINLinda Van Dillen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed experiments are designed to determine the nature of the movement impairments in MLBP and to relate these impairments to specific, everyday activities the persons perform repeatedly. ..
- The Mechanism and Function of Lumbosacral OrthosesJacek Cholewicki; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, data generated from the proposed research will also carry-over into advancing our understanding of the mechanisms and function of ergonomic lumbar supports. ..
- Academic Career Developmet Award in CAMRALPH GAY; Fiscal Year: 2006..This Academic Career Award will provide Dr. Gray with the opportunities and resources necessary to achieve his goal of becoming a respected and recognized expert in CAM treatment of musculoskeletal disorders. ..
- Mechanics of non-contact ACL injuries in female athletesChristopher Powers; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..