Genomes and Genes
Summary: A technique in which tissue is rendered resistant to the deleterious effects of prolonged ischemia and reperfusion by prior exposure to brief, repeated periods of vascular occlusion. (Am J Physiol 1995 May;268(5 Pt 2):H2063-7, Abstract)
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Transient limb ischemia induces remote ischemic preconditioning in vivoR K Kharbanda
University College, London, UK
Circulation 106:2881-3. 2002b>Ischemic preconditioning reduces local tissue injury caused by subsequent ischemia-reperfusion (IR), but may also have a salutary effect on IR injury of tissues remote from those undergoing preconditioning...
- Ischemic preconditioning augments survival of stem cells via miR-210 expression by targeting caspase-8-associated protein 2Ha Won Kim
Department of Pathology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 284:33161-8. 2009..posttranscriptional regulation of gene expression albeit with little information regarding their role in ischemic preconditioning (IP) of stem cells...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning: a novel protective method from ischemia reperfusion injury--a reviewNiteen Tapuria
Institute Hepatobiliary Pancreatic and Liver Transplant Unit, University Department of Surgery, Royal Free and University College School of Medicine, UCL, London, United Kingdom
J Surg Res 150:304-30. 2008..Ischemia reperfusion injury is often seen in organ transplants, major organ resections and in shock. Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is an adaptational response of briefly ischemic tissues which serves to protect against subsequent ..
- Preconditioning and tolerance against cerebral ischaemia: from experimental strategies to clinical useUlrich Dirnagl
Department of Neurology, Center for Stroke Research, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz, D 10098, Berlin, Germany
Lancet Neurol 8:398-412. 2009..We also discuss whether preconditioning and tolerance occur naturally in the brain and assess the most promising candidate strategies that are being investigated...
- Randomized controlled trial of the effects of remote ischemic preconditioning on children undergoing cardiac surgery: first clinical application in humansMichael M H Cheung
Division of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:2277-82. 2006We conducted a randomized controlled trial of the effects of remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) in children undergoing repair of congenital heart defects.
- Ischemic preconditioning for prevention of contrast medium-induced nephropathy: randomized pilot RenPro Trial (Renal Protection Trial)Fikret Er
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Cologne, Germany
Circulation 126:296-303. 2012..The aim of this randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled trial was to assess the impact of remote ischemic preconditioning on contrast medium-induced acute kidney injury.
- Molecular mechanisms of hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury and preconditioningHartmut Jaeschke
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 284:G15-26. 2003..In addition, emerging mechanisms of protection by ischemic preconditioning are discussed...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning reduces myocardial and renal injury after elective abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: a randomized controlled trialZiad A Ali
Cambridge Cardiovascular Unit, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Long Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
Circulation 116:I98-105. 2007..Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) is a phenomenon whereby brief periods of ischemia followed by reperfusion in one organ provide ..
- Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) modifies plasma proteome in humansMichele Hepponstall
Haematology Research, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e48284. 2012Remote Ischemic Preconditioning (RIPC) induced by brief episodes of ischemia of the limb protects against multi-organ damage by ischemia-reperfusion (IR)...
- Remote ischaemic preconditioning: underlying mechanisms and clinical applicationDerek J Hausenloy
The Hatter Cardiovascular Institute, University College London Hospital and Medical School, 67 Chenies Mews, London WC1E 6HX, UK
Cardiovasc Res 79:377-86. 2008..This article reviews the history and evolution of the phenomenon that is RIPC, the potential mechanistic pathways underlying its cardioprotective effect, and its emerging application in the clinical setting...
- Erythropoietin is a paracrine mediator of ischemic tolerance in the brain: evidence from an in vitro modelKarsten Ruscher
Department of Experimental Neurology, Charite Hospital, Humboldt University, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Neurosci 22:10291-301. 2002..oxygen glucose deprivation, OGD) we investigated whether erythropoietin (EPO) plays a critical role in ischemic preconditioning. We found that EPO time and dose-dependently induced protection against OGD in rat primary cortical ..
- Role of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in cardioprotectionMagdalena Juhaszova
Laboratory of Cardiovascular Science, Gerontology Research Center, Box 13, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Baltimore, Maryland 21224 6825, USA
Circ Res 104:1240-52. 2009....
- Protection by remote ischemic preconditioning during coronary artery bypass graft surgery with isoflurane but not propofol - a clinical trialE Kottenberg
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:30-8. 2012Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) of the myocardium by limb ischemia/reperfusion may mitigate cardiac damage, but its interaction with the anesthetic regimen is unknown...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning for cerebral and cardiac protection during carotid endarterectomy: results from a pilot randomized clinical trialStewart R Walsh
Cambridge Vascular Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Vasc Endovascular Surg 44:434-9. 2010Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) is a physiological mechanism whereby brief ischemia-reperfusion episodes attenuate damage by subsequent prolonged ischemic insults...
- Effect of remote ischemic preconditioning on renal dysfunction after complex valvular heart surgery: a randomized controlled trialYong Seon Choi
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine and Anesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 142:148-54. 2011..Remote ischemic preconditioning is a systemic protective strategy whereby brief limb ischemia confers systemic protection against ..
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 is central to cardioprotection: a new paradigm for ischemic preconditioningTobias Eckle
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital, Tubingen, Germany
Circulation 118:166-75. 2008b>Ischemic preconditioning provides strong cardioprotection from ischemia, but its molecular mechanisms remain unknown. Convincing evidence confirms a central role of hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1 in mammalian oxygen homeostasis...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning provides early and late protection against endothelial ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans: role of the autonomic nervous systemStavros P Loukogeorgakis
Vascular Physiology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:450-6. 2005The aim of this study was to characterize the time course and neuronal mechanism of remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) of the vasculature in humans.
- Preconditioning with isoflurane produces dose-dependent neuroprotection via activation of adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium channels after focal cerebral ischemia in ratsLize Xiong
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Anesth Analg 96:233-7, table of contents. 2003..The study demonstrated that repeated Iso anesthesia induces ischemic tolerance in rats in a dose-response manner. GLB, an adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium channel blocker, abolished the tolerance induced by Iso...
- The remote ischemic preconditioning stimulus modifies inflammatory gene expression in humansIgor E Konstantinov
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Physiol Genomics 19:143-50. 2004Remote ischemic preconditioning (IPC) reduces tissue injury caused by ischemia-reperfusion (IR) in distant organs. We tested the hypothesis that remote IPC (rIPC) modifies inflammatory gene transcription in humans...
- Upper limb ischemic preconditioning prevents recurrent stroke in intracranial arterial stenosisRan Meng
Cerebral Vascular Diseases Research Institute China America Institute of Neuroscience Xuanwu Hospital, and Department of Neurology, Beijing Shijitan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Neurology 79:1853-61. 2012This study aims to evaluate protective effects of brief repetitive bilateral arm ischemic preconditioning (BAIPC) on stroke recurrence in patients with symptomatic atherosclerotic intracranial arterial stenosis (IAS).
- Role of transcription factors in small intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injury and tolerance induced by ischemic preconditioningM Takeshita
Department of Gastroenterologic Surgery, Division of Cancer Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
Transplant Proc 42:3406-13. 2010..b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) produces tolerance to long-term I/R by inducing a short-term I/R...
- Global gene expression profiling of ischemic preconditioning in the rat retinaW Kamphuis
Department of Ophthalmogenetics, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Vis 13:1020-30. 2007To obtain and analyze the gene expression changes after ischemic preconditioning (IPC) in the rat retina.
- Delayed ischemic preconditioning contributes to renal protection by upregulation of miR-21Xialian Xu
Division of Nephrology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Zhongshan Hospital, Shanghai, PR China
Kidney Int 82:1167-75. 2012Delayed ischemic preconditioning effectively protects kidneys from ischemia-reperfusion injury but the mechanism underlying renal protection remains poorly understood...
- Serum from patients undergoing remote ischemic preconditioning protects cultured human intestinal cells from hypoxia-induced damage: involvement of matrixmetalloproteinase-2 and -9Karina Zitta
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Mol Med 18:29-37. 2012Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) can be induced by transient occlusion of blood flow to a limb with a blood pressure cuff and exerts multiorgan protection from ischemia/reperfusion injury...
- Preconditioning suppresses inflammation in neonatal hypoxic ischemia via Akt activationWei Yin
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 38:1017-24. 2007..Suppression of inflammation is a newly identified direct consequence of PI3-K/Akt signaling. We therefore investigated whether PI3-K/Akt suppresses inflammation and contributes to PC-induced neuroprotection...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning for renal protection during elective open infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: randomized controlled trialStewart R Walsh
Cambridge Vascular Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
Vasc Endovascular Surg 44:334-40. 2010We aimed to determine whether remote ischemic preconditioning (IP) reduces renal damage following elective open infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair...
- Autophagy is induced by ischemic preconditioning in human livers formerly treated by chemotherapy to limit necrosisDavide Degli Esposti
AP HP, Hopital Paul Brousse, Service de Biochimie et Biologie Moléculaire, Villejuif, France
Autophagy 6:172-4. 2010The effectiveness of ischemic preconditioning (IP) against hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury during human liver surgery is linked to decreased apoptotic cell death as well as preservation of the ATP content in liver tissue...
- [Limb ischemic preconditioning reduces infarct size following myocardial ischemia-reperfusion in rats]Jing Hui Dong
Department of Physiology, Institute of Basic Medicine, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang 050017, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 56:41-6. 2004The effect of limb ischemic preconditioning (LIP) on ischemia-reperfused myocardium was examined in the urethane-anesthetized rats to determine whether LIP produces cardioprotection and to observe the roles of adenosine and neural reflex ..
- Renal protection by delayed ischaemic preconditioning is associated with inhibition of the inflammatory response and NF-kappaB activationSu Hua Jiang
Division of Nephrology, Zhongshan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Cell Biochem Funct 25:335-43. 2007..Taken together, our results demonstrated that delayed IPC offered both functional and histological protection, which may be related to suppression of inflammation in preconditioned kidneys...
- Molecular mechanisms of liver preconditioningElisa Alchera
Department of Medical Sciences, University of East Piedmont A Avogadro, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 16:6058-67. 2010..This process known as ischemic preconditioning (IP) depends upon intrinsic cytoprotective systems whose activation can inhibit the progression of ..
- Redox regulation of ischemic preconditioning is mediated by the differential activation of caveolins and their association with eNOS and GLUT-4Srikanth Koneru
Molecular Cardiology and Angiogenesis Laboratory, Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030 1110, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H2060-72. 2007..I/R) enhance myocardial injury, but brief periods of myocardial ischemia followed by reperfusion [ischemic preconditioning (IP)] induce cardioprotection...
- Protective strategies against ischemic injury of the liverNazia Selzner
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Gastroenterology 125:917-36. 2003..The first section reviews approaches using surgical interventions such as ischemic preconditioning and intermittent clamping. Their protective effects are discussed with respect to the mechanism of injury...
- Diabetes abolishes ischemic preconditioning: role of glucose, insulin, and osmolalityJ R Kersten
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 278:H1218-24. 2000..that myocardial infarct size is related to blood glucose concentration in the presence or absence of ischemic preconditioning (PC) stimuli in canine models of diabetes mellitus and acute hyperglycemia...
- Preconditioning, organ preservation, and postconditioning to prevent ischemia-reperfusion injury to the liverOlivier de Rougemont
Swiss Hepato Pancreatico Biliary Center, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Liver Transpl 15:1172-82. 2009..The first section reviews the approaches using surgical interventions, such as ischemic preconditioning, as well as pharmacological applications...
- Ischemic preconditioning prevents endothelial injury and systemic neutrophil activation during ischemia-reperfusion in humans in vivoR K Kharbanda
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University College London, London, UK
Circulation 103:1624-30. 2001..Tissue injury during IR can be reduced by prior ischemic preconditioning (IPC)...
- Toll-like receptor 9: a new target of ischemic preconditioning in the brainSusan L Stevens
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:1040-7. 2008..Our studies show that preconditioning with a TLR9 ligand induces neuroprotection against ischemic injury through a mechanism that shares common elements with LPS preconditioning via TLR4...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning protects the brain against injury after hypothermic circulatory arrestHanna A Jensen
Clinical Research Center, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu University, Finland
Circulation 123:714-21. 2011b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is a mechanism protecting tissues from injury during ischemia and reperfusion...
- Prevention of kidney ischemia/reperfusion-induced functional injury and JNK, p38, and MAPK kinase activation by remote ischemic pretreatmentK M Park
Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129-2060, USA
J Biol Chem 276:11870-6. 2001..phosphorylation of MKK7, MKK4, and MKK3/6, upstream activators of JNK and p38, was markedly reduced by ischemic preconditioning, whereas the post-ischemic phosphorylation of MEK1/2, the upstream activator of ERK1/2, was unaffected by ..
- Protective effect of delayed remote limb ischemic postconditioning: role of mitochondrial K(ATP) channels in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemic reperfusion injuryJing Sun
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Shaanxi Province, People s Republic of China
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 32:851-9. 2012..These findings indicate that DRIPost reduces focal cerebral ischemic injury and that the neuroprotective effects of DRIPost may be achieved through opening of K(ATP) channels...
- Autophagy regulates endoplasmic reticulum stress in ischemic preconditioningRui Sheng
Department of Pharmacology and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou, China
Autophagy 8:310-25. 2012Recent studies have suggested that autophagy plays a prosurvival role in ischemic preconditioning (IPC). This study was taken to assess the linkage between autophagy and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress during the process of IPC...
- KATP channel activation induces ischemic preconditioning of the endothelium in humans in vivoM W Broadhead
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Circulation 110:2077-82. 2004Endothelial dysfunction contributes to ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI) and is reduced by ischemic preconditioning (IPC). IPC may involve activation of ATP-sensitive potassium channels (K(ATP))...
- Ischemic preconditioning and clinical scenariosSrinivasan V Narayanan
Department of Neurology, Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 26:1-7. 2013b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is gaining attention as a novel neuroprotective therapy and could provide an improved mechanistic understanding of tolerance to cerebral ischemia...
- Toll-like receptor 4 is involved in neuroprotection afforded by ischemic preconditioningJesus M Pradillo
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Neurochem 109:287-94. 2009It has been demonstrated that a short ischemic event (ischemic preconditioning, IPC) results in a subsequent resistance to severe ischemia (ischemic tolerance, IT)...
- Remote ischemic conditioning to protect against ischemia-reperfusion injury: a systematic review and meta-analysisDaniel Brevoord
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e42179. 2012....
- Remote ischemic preconditioning regulates HIF-1α levels, apoptosis and inflammation in heart tissue of cardiosurgical patients: a pilot experimental studyMartin Albrecht
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Schwanenweg 21, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 108:314. 2013Transient episodes of ischemia in a remote organ (remote ischemic preconditioning, RIPC) bears the potential to attenuate myocardial injury, but the underlying mechanisms are only poorly understood...
- The protective roles of autophagy in ischemic preconditioningWen Jun Yan
Department of Anesthesiology, Gansu Provincial Hospital, Lanzhou 730000, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 34:636-43. 2013..b>Ischemic preconditioning is a brief and nonlethal episode of ischemia, confers protection against subsequent ischemia-reperfusion ..
- Remote ischemic preconditioning decreases adhesion and selectively modifies functional responses of human neutrophilsMikiko Shimizu
Division of Cardiology, Hospital for Sick Children, Ontario, Canada
J Surg Res 158:155-61. 2010Preconditioning of cells or organs by transient sublethal ischemia-reperfusion (IR), termed ischemic preconditioning (IPC), protects the cell or organ from a subsequent prolonged ischemic insult...
- The neuroprotective mechanism of brain ischemic preconditioningXiao qian Liu
Department of Pharmacology and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou 215123, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:1071-80. 2009..Brain ischemic preconditioning (BIP) refers to a transient, sublethal ischemia which results in tolerance to later, otherwise lethal, ..
- Liver ischemic preconditioning (IPC) improves intestinal microbiota following liver transplantation in rats through 16s rDNA-based analysis of microbial structure shiftZhigang Ren
Key Laboratory of Combined Multi organ Transplantation, Ministry of Public Health, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
PLoS ONE 8:e75950. 2013..The "gut-liver axis" closely links gut function and liver function in health and disease. Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) has been proven to reduce I/R injury in the surgery...
- Thyroid hormone preconditioning: protection against ischemia-reperfusion liver injury in the ratVirginia Fernandez
Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Hepatology 45:170-7. 2007....
- Circulating nitrite contributes to cardioprotection by remote ischemic preconditioningTienush Rassaf
From the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Vascular Medicine, Medical Faculty, University Hospital Duesseldorf, Duesseldorf, Germany T R, M T, U B H C, M K Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh, PA S S Institute for Pathophysiology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany G H and Cardiovascular Research Institute Duesseldorf, Duesseldorf, Germany M K
Circ Res 114:1601-10. 2014Remote ischemic preconditioning (rIPC) with short episodes of ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) of an organ remote from the heart is a powerful approach to protect against myocardial I/R injury...
- Ischemic preconditioning as a possible explanation for the age decline relative mortality in sleep apneaLena Lavie
Lloyd Rigler Sleep Apnea Research Laboratory, Ruth and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Rappaport Building, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Bat Galim, Haifa
Med Hypotheses 66:1069-73. 2006..risk in sleep apnea can be explained by cardiovascular and cerebrovascular protection conferred by ischemic preconditioning resulting from the nocturnal cycles of hypoxia-reoxygenation...
- Apolipoprotein a-I is a potential mediator of remote ischemic preconditioningPierre Hibert
L UNAM Université, Angers, France Laboratoire Cardioprotection, Remodelage et Thrombose, Universite d Angers, Angers, France
PLoS ONE 8:e77211. 2013Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) has emerged as an attractive strategy in clinical settings. Despite convincing evidence of the critical role played by circulating humoral mediators, their actual identities remain unknown...
- Limb ischemic preconditioning mitigates lung injury induced by haemorrhagic shock/resuscitation in ratsWoan Ching Jan
Department of Nursing, Mackay Medicine, Nursing and Management College, Taipei, Taiwan
Resuscitation 82:760-6. 2011..We elucidated whether bilateral lower limb ischemic pre-conditioning (IP) could mitigate lung injury in haemorrhagic shock/resuscitation rats. The role of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) was also elucidated...
- Ischemic preconditioning by caspase cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1Philippe Garnier
Department of Neurology, University of California at San Francisco and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Neurosci 23:7967-73. 2003..interval confers resistance to a subsequent, otherwise lethal ischemic insult, in a process termed ischemic preconditioning. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) normally functions in DNA repair, but extensive PARP-1 activation ..
- Remote ischemic limb preconditioning after subarachnoid hemorrhage: a phase Ib study of safety and feasibilitySebastian Koch
Department of Neurology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, 1150 NW 14th Street, Suite 609, Professional Arts Center, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Stroke 42:1387-91. 2011..We conducted a Phase IB study of remote ischemic limb preconditioning to determine the safety and feasibility of increasing durations of limb ischemia in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage...
- Ischemic preconditioning before lower limb ischemia--reperfusion protects against acute lung injuryDenis W Harkin
Vascular Surgical Unit, The Royal Victoria Hospital, Institute of Clinical Sciences, The Queen s University of Belfast, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT12 6BJ, UK
J Vasc Surg 35:1264-73. 2002..b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC), achieved with repeated brief periods of I/R before the prolonged ischemic period, has been shown ..
- Autophagy activation is associated with neuroprotection in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemic preconditioningRui Sheng
Department of Pharmacology and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou, China
Autophagy 6:482-94. 2010..showed that autophagy is involved in ischemic brain damage, but it may also play a pro-survival role in ischemic preconditioning. This study was taken to determine the role of autophagy in an animal model of cerebral ischemic ..
- Ischemic preconditioning attenuates the lipid peroxidation and remote lung injury in the rat model of unilateral lower limb ischemia reperfusionC Olguner
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Dokuz Eylul University, School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:150-5. 2006Ischemia and reperfusion of the skeletal muscle tissue may cause remote lung injury. We aimed to evaluate the protective effect of ischemic preconditioning (IP) on the lung during unilateral lower limb ischemia reperfusion (IR).
- Brain apoptosis and carotid artery reactivity in fetal asphyctic preconditioningEveline Strackx
Departments of Pediatrics Neonatology, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2:781-90. 2010..Exposure to a global fetal asphyctic insult seems to protect against the vascular alterations and the increase of apoptosis in striatum and prefrontal cortex induced by severe asphyxia at birth...
- Vascular dysfunction in ischemia-reperfusion injuryJohn B Seal
Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 19:572-84. 2005..review highlights recent progress in understanding of the varied phenomena of vascular dysfunction in I/R injury and some promising advances in the understanding and application of ischemic preconditioning and other potential therapies.
- Heme oxygenase 1 is associated with ischemic preconditioning-induced protection against brain ischemiaEmil Zeynalov
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Ave, Ross 365, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neurobiol Dis 35:264-9. 2009b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) protects brain against ischemic injury by activating specific mechanisms. Our goal was to determine if the inducible heme oxygenase 1 (HO1) is required for such protection...
- Pretreatment with the nitric oxide donor SNAP or nerve transection blocks humoral preconditioning by remote limb ischemia or intra-arterial adenosineTor Steensrud
Department of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H1598-603. 2010We have previously shown that remote ischemic preconditioning (rIPC) by transient limb ischemia leads to the release of a circulating factor(s) that induces potent myocardial protection...
- Ischemic postconditioning protects against global cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced injury in ratsJing Ye Wang
Department of Neurology, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Stroke 39:983-90. 2008..In this study, we tested the hypothesis that ischemic postconditioning reduces global cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced structural and functional injury in rats...
- Activation of Nrf2-regulated glutathione pathway genes by ischemic preconditioningKaren F S Bell
Centre for Integrative Physiology, University of Edinburgh, George Square, Edinburgh, UK
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2011:689524. 2011..was found to activate Nrf2 both in vivo and in vitro, and this was found to contribute to neuroprotective ischemic preconditioning. Here we show that transient ischemic conditions in vitro and in vivo cause an increase in the expression ..
- Ischemic preconditioning activates phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase upstream of protein kinase CH Tong
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Circ Res 87:309-15. 2000..to test whether phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3-kinase) has a role in the signaling pathway in ischemic preconditioning (PC) and whether it is proximal or distal to protein kinase C (PKC)...
- Inducible nitric-oxide synthase is an important contributor to prolonged protective effects of ischemic preconditioning in the mouse kidneyKwon Moo Park
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 278:27256-66. 2003b>Ischemic preconditioning renders the mouse kidney resistant to subsequent ischemia...
- Effect of ischemic preconditioning in skeletal muscle measured by functional magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy: a randomized crossover trialMartin Andreas
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 13:32. 2011..Therefore, in-vivo NMR may enable the characterization of ischemia-reperfusion injury. The goal of this study was to evaluate whether NMR could detect the effects of ischemic preconditioning (IPC) in healthy subjects.
- Desferoxamine preconditioning protects against cerebral ischemia in rats by inducing expressions of hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha and erythropoietinYun Xia Li
The Changhai Hospital Affiliated to the Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Neurosci Bull 24:89-95. 2008..To investigate whether desferoxamine (DFO) preconditioning can induce tolerance against cerebral ischemia and its effect on the expression of hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and erythropoietin (EPO) in vivo and in vitro...
- Beta-lactam antibiotics offer neuroprotection by increasing glutamate transporter expressionJeffrey D Rothstein
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Nature 433:73-7. 2005..Thus these studies provide a class of potential neurotherapeutics that act to modulate the expression of glutamate neurotransmitter transporters via gene activation...
- Ischemic preconditioning in solid organ transplantation: from experimental to clinicsJoan Torras Ambros
Department of Medicine, Laboratory of Nephrology and Nephrology Service, IDIBELL Hospital Universitari Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transpl Int 20:219-29. 2007This study reviews the current understanding of ischemic preconditioning (IP) in experimental and clinical setting, and the mechanisms that mediate the complex processes involved as a tool to protect against ischemia and reperfusion (I/R) ..
- Ischemic preconditioning regulates expression of microRNAs and a predicted target, MeCP2, in mouse cortexTheresa A Lusardi
Robert S Dow Neurobiology Laboratories, Legacy Research, Portland, Oregon 97232, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:744-56. 2010..These studies reveal that ischemic preconditioning regulates expression of miRNAs and their predicted targets in mouse brain cortex, and further suggest ..
- Repetitive hypoxia extends endogenous neurovascular protection for strokeAnn M Stowe
Department of Neurological Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Ann Neurol 69:975-85. 2011..We hypothesized that the duration of ischemic tolerance could be extended from days to months by repeated intermittent hypoxia of varying magnitude and duration...
- Tolerance to nitroglycerin-induced preconditioning of the endothelium: a human in vivo studyTommaso Gori
Department of Internal, Cardiovascular and Geriatric Medicine, University of Siena, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H340-5. 2010..organic nitrates can protect the vascular endothelium from I/R injury via a mechanism that is similar to ischemic preconditioning and is independent of hemodynamic changes...
- Renal protection by brief liver ischemia in ratsErsin Ates
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Transplantation 74:1247-51. 2002..In this study, we evaluated the beneficial effect of brief ischemia and reperfusion, which was shown to have local effects on liver previously, on kidney as a remote organ in rats...
- Both ischemic preconditioning and ghrelin administration protect hippocampus from ischemia/reperfusion and upregulate uncoupling protein-2Yajun Liu
Institute of Physiology, School of Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, Shandong, PR China
BMC Physiol 9:17. 2009A major endogenous protective mechanism in many organs against ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury is ischemic preconditioning (IPC)...
- cAMP response element-binding protein activation in ligation preconditioning in neonatal brainHsueh Te Lee
Institute of Basic Medical Science, Medical College, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Ann Neurol 56:611-23. 2004..This study suggests that 24-hour carotid-artery ligation preconditioning provides important mechanisms for potential pharmacological preconditioning against neonatal HI brain injury...
- Multiple preconditioning paradigms converge on interferon regulatory factor-dependent signaling to promote tolerance to ischemic brain injurySusan L Stevens
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurosci 31:8456-63. 2011....
- Transient limb ischemia induces remote preconditioning and remote postconditioning in humans by a K(ATP)-channel dependent mechanismStavros P Loukogeorgakis
Vascular Physiology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 34 Great Ormond St, London, WC1N 3JE, UK
Circulation 116:1386-95. 2007..ischemic insult has systemic protective effects against ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury (remote ischemic preconditioning [RIPC])...
- Cerebral ischemic preconditioning. An experimental phenomenon or a clinical important entity of stroke prevention?B Schaller
Max Planck Institute for Neurological Research, Gleueler Strasse 50, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Neurol 249:1503-11. 2002..Such neuroprotective strategies may extend beyond ischemic tolerance to include other brain injury states as well...
- Kidney ischemic preconditioningJoseph V Bonventre
Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 11:43-8. 2002..While it is frequently stated that this phenomenon, termed ischemic preconditioning, was first described in the heart, in fact there is almost a century of literature on the kidney that ..
- Protocols and mechanisms for remote ischemic preconditioning: a novel method for reducing ischemia reperfusion injurySanjeev Kanoria
HPB and Liver Transplant Unit, University Department of Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Transplantation 84:445-58. 2007Ischemia reperfusion injury (IRI) results in damage to local and remote organs. Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) is a strategy to protect against IRI by inducing a prior brief period(s) of IRI to an organ remote from that undergoing ..
- Remote organ ischemic preconditioning protect brain from ischemic damage following asphyxial cardiac arrestKunjan R Dave
Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, Department of Neuroscience, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, FL 33101, USA
Neurosci Lett 404:170-5. 2006b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is a phenomenon whereby an organ's adaptive transient resistance to a lethal ischemic insult occurs by preconditioning this organ with a sub-lethal/mild ischemic insult of short duration...
- Hypoxia-induced stroke tolerance in the mouse is mediated by erythropoietinKonstantin Prass
Department of Neurology, Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Stroke 34:1981-6. 2003..The HIF-1 target gene erythropoietin (EPO) has been described as neuroprotective. Thus, we hypothesize EPO to be an essential mediator of protection in hypoxic preconditioning...
- MicroRNAs induced during ischemic preconditioningSoon Tae Lee
Department of Neurology, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
Stroke 41:1646-51. 2010..Although miRNAs control a number of conditions and diseases, few neuroprotective miRNAs have been described. In this study, we investigated neuroprotective miRNAs induced early in ischemic preconditioning.
- Remote ischemic preconditioning for renal and cardiac protection during endovascular aneurysm repair: a randomized controlled trialStewart R Walsh
Cambridge Vascular Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
J Endovasc Ther 16:680-9. 2009To report a randomized clinical trial designed to determine if remote ischemic preconditioning (IP) has the ability to reduce renal and cardiac damage following endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR).
- Roles of the nitric oxide signaling pathway in cardiac ischemic preconditioning against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injuryPunate Weerateerangkul
Cardiac Electrophysiology Unit, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Med Sci Monit 17:RA44-52. 2011..Since 1986, numerous studies of ischemic preconditioning against ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury have been undertaken and the roles of the NO signaling pathway ..
- Isoflurane mimics ischemic preconditioning via activation of K(ATP) channels: reduction of myocardial infarct size with an acute memory phaseJ R Kersten
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and the Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 87:361-70. 1997..that isoflurane directly preconditions myocardium against infarction via activation of K(ATP) channels and that the protection afforded by isoflurane is associated with an acute memory phase similar to that of ischemic preconditioning.
- Ischemic preconditioning at a remote site prevents acute kidney injury in patients following cardiac surgeryRobert F Zimmerman
Division of Nephrology, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine 04102 3175, USA
Kidney Int 80:861-7. 2011..b>Ischemic preconditioning at a remote site mitigates ischemia-reperfusion injury and may prevent acute kidney injury after cardiac ..
- Limb remote-preconditioning protects against focal ischemia in rats and contradicts the dogma of therapeutic time windows for preconditioningC Ren
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, MSLS Building, P306, 1201 Welch Road, Room P306, Stanford, CA 94305 5327, USA
Neuroscience 151:1099-103. 2008Remote ischemic preconditioning is an emerging concept for stroke treatment, but its protection against focal stroke has not been established...
- Effects of 10 minutes of ischemic preconditioning of the cadaveric liver on the graft's preservation and function: the ying and the yangDaniel Azoulay
Centre Hepato Biliaire, Département de Chirurgie Hépato Biliaire, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Ann Surg 242:133-9. 2005Although extensively studied in animal models, ischemic preconditioning has not yet been studied in clinical transplantation.
- Protective effects of ischemic postconditioning compared with gradual reperfusion or preconditioningXuwen Gao
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 5327, USA
J Neurosci Res 86:2505-11. 2008....
- Dietary (n-3) long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit ischemia and reperfusion arrhythmias and infarction in rat heart not enhanced by ischemic preconditioningGrace G Abdukeyum
School of Health Sciences, 4Smart Foods Centre, and 5Graduate School of Medicine, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
J Nutr 138:1902-9. 2008b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) and (n-3) PUFA are both cardioprotective. This study compared effects of dietary fish oil, IPC, and their interactions on heart function and injury during myocardial ischemia and reperfusion...
- A prospective randomized study in 100 consecutive patients undergoing major liver resection with versus without ischemic preconditioningPierre Alain Clavien
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Ann Surg 238:843-50; discussion 851-2. 2003To evaluate the protective effects of ischemic preconditioning in a prospective randomized study involving a large population of unselected patients and to identify factors affecting the protective effects.
- Protein SUMOylation is massively increased in hibernation torpor and is critical for the cytoprotection provided by ischemic preconditioning and hypothermia in SHSY5Y cellsYang ja Lee
Stroke Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4476, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:950-62. 2007..Increased SUMO conjugation (induced by Ubc9 overexpression, ischemic preconditioning (PC)+/-hypothermia) was necessary and sufficient for tolerance of SHSY5Y neuroblastoma cells to oxygen/..
- Myocardial preconditioning and remote renal preconditioning--identifying a protective factor using proteomic methods?Sabrina C Lang
Abteilung Innere Medizin III, Kardiologie, Angiologie and Pulmologie, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120 Heidelberg
Basic Res Cardiol 101:149-58. 2006It is still unknown whether remote ischemic preconditioning is mediated by a humoral or a neurogenic mechanism from the preconditioning to the preconditioned tissue...
- Mitochondrial K(ATP) channels in cell survival and deathHossein Ardehali
Institute of Molecular Cardiobiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205 2195, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 39:7-16. 2005..potassium channel (mitoK(ATP)) more than 13 years ago, it has been implicated in the processes of ischemic preconditioning (IPC), apoptosis and mitochondrial matrix swelling...
- Resveratrol mimics ischemic preconditioning in the brainAmi P Raval
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience Program, Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33101, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:1141-7. 2006..Similarly, ischemic preconditioning (IPC) has been shown to be both cardio- and cerebroprotective against subsequent ischemic insults...
- Delayed ischemic preconditioning protects against liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in vivoP Romanque
Universidad de Chile, Facultad de Medicina, Santiago, Chile
Transplant Proc 42:1569-75. 2010b>Ischemic preconditioning (IP) affords resistance to liver ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury, providing an early phase of protection. Development of delayed IP against IR injury was assessed using partial IR in rat liver.
- Transient ischemic attacks before ischemic stroke: preconditioning the human brain? A multicenter magnetic resonance imaging studySusanne Wegener
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charite, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Stroke 35:616-21. 2004..We investigated whether transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) before stroke can induce tolerance by raising the threshold of tissue vulnerability in the human brain...
- The Akt signaling pathway contributes to postconditioning's protection against stroke; the protection is associated with the MAPK and PKC pathwaysXuwen Gao
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California 94305 5327, USA
J Neurochem 105:943-55. 2008....
- Clinical and genomic responses to remote ischemic preconditioningBrian W McCrindle; Fiscal Year: 2010..The objective of this study is to determine if application of a stimulus of remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) prevents or lessens the multi-organ dysfunction related to ischemia-reperfusion injury in children ..
- Mechanisms of Neutrophil-induced Liver ToxicityHARTMUT W JAESCHKE; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, virtually nothing is known about the induction of MTs during hepatic IRP or ischemic preconditioning in both lean and steatotic livers...
- Retinoid Mediated Protection Against Reactive Oxygen Species Induced CytotoxicitySerrine S Lau; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our central hypothesis is that aTRA-induced cytoprotection is mediated by mechanisms similar to ischemic preconditioning. In Specific Aim 1 we propose to determine the ability of aTRA to offer cytoprotection in an in vitro ..
- Role of The Jak-Stat Pathway in Ischemic PreconditioningYu Ting Xuan; Fiscal Year: 2010..underlying the sustained infarct-sparing and anti-apoptotic effects observed during the late phase of ischemic preconditioning (PC)...
- Opioidergic System: Its Role(s) in GlaucomaShahid Husain; Fiscal Year: 2013..of opioid receptors by endogenous ligands is required for the development of neuroprotection induced by ischemic preconditioning;and 3) Morphine inhibits production of tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) and MMP-2 from both the ocular ..
- Regulation of IL-6-Type Cytokine Cardioprotective Signaling in the Ischemic HeartGeorge W Booz; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 1 is to establish the importance of JAK1 redox-sensitivity for ischemic preconditioning. We will assess the impact of glutathione depletion in vivo on IL-6-family cytokine signaling and ..
- Rapid ischemic tolerance: Synaptic re-organization and reduced excitotoxicityRobert Meller; Fiscal Year: 2012..actin re-organization and NMDA protection is a common phenotype following pharmacological as well as ischemic preconditioning. We will test whether two pharmacological inducers of rapid tolerance (adenosine and diazoxide) have a ..
- Histamine Receptor Norepinephrine in Cardiac DysfunctionRoberto Levi; Fiscal Year: 2013..These are: 1) The mimicking of a new paradigm of ischemic preconditioning, which prevents the activation of a local mast cell-dependent renin- angiotensin system (RAS) and its ..
- Role of Metallothioneins in Isoflurane-Preconditioning of neurons in vitro.Adam C Hall; Fiscal Year: 2010..2004) found MT-I + II mRNAs were strongly and rapidly up-regulated in response to ischemic preconditioning of rat spinal cord...
- INDUCIBLE DNA REPAIR IN CEREBRAL ISCHEMIAJun Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..ischemia, which has been considered to be a contributing mechanism in neuroprotection induced by ischemic preconditioning. APE activity and the APE-dependent overall BER activity instead rapidly decline following lethal ..
- ANESTHETIC-INDUCED CARDIAC PRECONDITIONINGZeljko J Bosnjak; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Similar to the powerful endogenous cardioprotective mechanism of ischemic preconditioning, anesthetic-induced preconditioning (APC) has emerged as an equally effective cardioprotective intervention ..
- Genetic Mechanisms of Resistance against Cardiac PreconditioningMatthias L Riess; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Ischemic Preconditioning (IPC), for example, several shorter ischemic periods before sustained ischemia/reperfusion (IR) attenuate ..
- Weibel - Palade Bodies - Sentinels of Acute IschemiaMichael S Goligorsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..one of those is governed by a surge in uric acid level;c) EPC's participation in renoprotection of ischemic preconditioning;and d) EPC's participation in the eventual repair processes of a post-ischemic organ...
- Regulation Of Ischemic Preconditioning By Compartmentalized Signal TransductionJOHN P O'BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Given that these pathways are also shared among many tissues including the brain, these studies may also provide novel insights into limiting the harmful effects from stroke. ..
- Molecular Regulation of Cardiac KATP Channels in IschemiaJonathan C Makielski; Fiscal Year: 2013..sKATP) and mitochondria (mKATP) of heart have both been implicated in the protective phenomenon called ischemic preconditioning (IPC). Proposed mechanisms for IPC are complex...
- Pre-emptive conditioning of the ischemic heartDorothy E Vatner; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Ischemic preconditioning represents the "gold standard" method of cardioprotection in vivo but it remains difficult to use in the ..
- Ventricular Remodeling in the Adapted HeartNilanjana Maulik; Fiscal Year: 2012..downstream candidates of VEGF signaling through its receptors that trigger cardioprotective signal during ischemic preconditioning (IP)...
- NanoSPINs for In Vivo EPR-Based Spectroscopy and ImagingValery V Khramtsov; Fiscal Year: 2010..SA3) To study the role of myocardial acidosis and NO generation in ischemic hearts and in the model of ischemic preconditioning using developed nanoSPINs...
- Caveolae, mitochondria, and cardiac protection.Hemal H Patel; Fiscal Year: 2012..The most beneficial experimental intervention thus far identified for preventing reperfusion injury is ischemic preconditioning (IPC), which occurs when the myocardium is exposed to brief ischemia-reperfusion events prior to lethal ..
- Mitochondrial Quality in Cardioprotection: Overcoming Co-MorbiditiesRoberta A Gottlieb; Fiscal Year: 2013..of age, diet-induced obesity, and MetS on autophagy and the ability to achieve cardioprotection through ischemic preconditioning, postconditioning, or pharmacologic conditioning Determine whether an autophagy-inducing drug can ..
- Molecular Regulation of Cardiac KATP Channels in IschemiaJonathan C Makielski; Fiscal Year: 2012..sKATP) and mitochondria (mKATP) of heart have both been implicated in the protective phenomenon called ischemic preconditioning (IPC). Proposed mechanisms for IPC are complex...
- Impact of chronic caloric restriction on resident progenitor cells in the heartKURT SAUPE; Fiscal Year: 2009Poor ischemic tolerance and loss of ischemic preconditioning are hallmarks of the aged heart, and contribute to the fact that age is the strongest risk factor for cardiovascular disease...
- Defining the Molecular Mechanisms by Which O-GlcNAc Mediates CardioprotectionNatasha Elizabeth Zachara; Fiscal Year: 2012..Numerous forms of cellular injury, including cardiac ischemic preconditioning (acute and prolonged), lead to elevated levels of O-GlcNAc in both in vivo and in vitro models...
- SFRP2, cell survival, and coronary vascular angiogenesisDOROTHY EILEEN VATNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. Despite the intense investigation of the mechanisms of ischemic preconditioning, it has been difficult to translate that beneficial process to the clinical setting...
- Microglial Toll-like Receptor-4 and Ischemic PreconditioningJonathan R Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): This proposal focuses on characterizing the role of microglial toll-like receptor-4 (TLR4) in ischemic preconditioning (IPC)...
- Role of Nrf2 in Ischemic Preconditioning-Induced NeuroprotectionSrinivasan V Narayanan; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is a neuroprotective mechanism whereby the induction of mild ischemic insults protects against ..
- Autophagy, Adenosine and Pyruvate Protection During Heart SurgeryRobert M Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have evidence that cardioprotective drugs and ischemic preconditioning stimulate autophagy and that inhibition of autophagy blocks cardioprotection...
- Metabolic Mechanisms of Cardiac Injury and ProtectionSteven P Jones; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although ischemic preconditioning may be the most powerful experimental cardioprotective strategy known, little clinical application has ..
- The Neuroprotective Gene Botch in Stroke-Induced NeurogenesisSean T Byrne; Fiscal Year: 2012..Botch was identified from a functional screen for neuroprotective genes, and is upregulated by ischemic preconditioning. Futhermore, expression of the gene confers protection from oxygen glucose deprivation (OGD) and NMDA ..
- Period in Cardio ProtectionTobias Eckle; Fiscal Year: 2013..convincing evidence has demonstrated a central role of adenosine generation in signaling in cardiac ischemic preconditioning (IP), a phenomenon known as the strongest in vivo-form of protection against myocardial ischemia...
- EXPLOITATION OF THE KATP CHANNEL OPENER DIAZOXIDE DURING CARDIAC SURGERYJennifer S Lawton; Fiscal Year: 2013..of an adenosine triphosphate -sensitive potassium (KATP) channel opener diazoxide which is known to mimic ischemic preconditioning and provide cardioprotection in multiple models by an unknown mechanism...
- SIRT1, Nitro-Lipids and CardioprotectionPaul S Brookes; Fiscal Year: 2013..this time we identified two key signaling players in the endogenous cardioprotective phenomenon of acute ischemic preconditioning (IPC)...
- Cardiac Remote Ischemic Preconditioning Prior to Elective Major Vascular SurgerySantiago Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2013..One potential strategy for reduction of myocardial injury during surgery is Remote Ischemic Preconditioning (RIPC), which describes the cardioprotection obtained from application of brief episodes of muscle ..
- Stress Granules Cause Translation Arrest In Ischemic Vulunerable NeuronsDonald J DeGracia; Fiscal Year: 2012..2. To identify the effect of ischemic preconditioning (IPC) on stress granule composition and behavior in reperfused neurons...
- Low flow reperfusion after acute myocardial ischemia: when too little is too muchMATTHEW WYATT KAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..These conditions include: rapid pacing, fibrillation, low-flow reperfusion, and ischemic preconditioning. With these Aims, we will provide major advances in the methodology required to conduct studies at the ..
- CD39-mediated cardiovascular protectionRichard J Gumina; Fiscal Year: 2010..to wild-type animals as well as loss of the innate cardioprotection afforded by the phenomenon of ischemic preconditioning. Therefore, the PI hypothesizes that targeted delivery of CD39 to sites of cardiovascular injury will ..
- Acute Coronary Syndrome animal modelHongyu Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2012..test ischemia at 8 hours after the initial ischemic insult, at a time when neithr first nor second window ischemic preconditioning is active, and AC5 inhibitor administration after the prolonged 30 minute ischemic event...
- Role of Phosphatase Pten in Ischemic PreconditioningZheqing P Cai; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC), induced by a brief period of ischemia and reperfusion, generates profound protection against later ..
- Ischemic Preconditioning: mechanisms of neuroprotectionMiguel A Perez-Pinzon; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal is a competitive renewal application which main goal is to define the mechanisms by which ischemic preconditioning (IPC) promotes neuroprotection against cerebral ischemia...
- Role for MicroRNAs in Ischemic ToleranceJulie Anne Saugstad; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ischemic preconditioning, induced by a sub-lethal duration of ischemia, triggers endogenous responses that protect the brain against a subsequent, severe ischemic insult, a phenomenon known as "..
- CARDIOPROTECTIVE AGENTS IN ISCHEMIC MYOCYTESRICHARD HONKANEN; Fiscal Year: 2002..1) Significance: The proposal is novel. PKC activation is thought to play an important role in ischemic preconditioning, and it is logical to investigate the role of protein phosphatases in the protective effect of ischemic ..
- Immune Mechanisms in Kidney Ischemic PreconditioningGilbert R Kinsey; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) is a phenomenon induced by brief ischemia and reperfusion that renders an organ tolerant to ..
- Microglial Interferon Signaling and Ischemic PreconditioningJonathan R Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) in the brain is a robust neuroprotective phenomenon in which a brief ischemic exposure increases resistance to the injurious effects of subsequent prolonged ischemia...
- Development of Toll-Like Receptor Agonists as Neuroprotectants in Brain IschemiaMary P Stenzel-Poore; Fiscal Year: 2012Endogenous mechanisms of ischemic preconditioning-tolerance have reviled the brain's ability to reprogram (precondition) its response to acute ischemia from that of induced cell injury signaling cascades to induction of ..
- PRECONDITIONING: PMN ADHESION AND MICROVASCULAR INJURYRONALD KORTHUIS; Fiscal Year: 2003..to ischemia and reperfusion (IR) 24 hours later, a phenomenon referred to as delayed or late phase ischemic preconditioning (delayed IPC)...
- Heat Shock Proteins, Nitric Oxide and Oxygen Consumption in the HeartGovindasamy Ilangovan; Fiscal Year: 2009b>Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) and hyperthermia (HT) are known to offer cardioprotection from ischemic injury such as myocardial infarction...
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON ISCHEMIC MYOCARDIUMPAUL PAGEL; Fiscal Year: 2000..consumption may reduce myocardial ischemia- reperfusion injury and mimic the protective effects of ischemic preconditioning by activating A1 receptors...
- IN VITRO MODEL OF PRECONDITIONING WITH ISOLATED MYOCYTESCHARLES GANOTE; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract) This is a proposal to study mechanisms of ischemic preconditioning using isolated cardiac myocytes from rabbits, as an example of an animal with a fast heart rate, and from pigs, as ..
- MICROCIRCULATORY PROTECTION IN LATE PRECONDITIONINGWei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2001..This phenomenon is called "ischemic preconditioning" (IP). If used with reconstructive surgery, IP could prevent many of the post-surgical complications...
- Myocardial ischemic activation of the Akt pathwaySTEPHEN ARMSTRONG; Fiscal Year: 2007..protein 70 (HSP70), a molecular chaperone that has been associated with the cardioprotection provided by ischemic preconditioning. A role for NFkB in ischemic preconditioning has also been demonstrated...
- ADENOSINE A1 AND A2 RECEPTORS IN THE MYOCARDIUMJames Dobson; Fiscal Year: 2004..For example, adenosine Al receptors affect heart rhythm, contraction and metabolism and mediate ischemic preconditioning. Adenosine by interacting with adenosine Al receptors is known to be antiadrenergic in that it reduces ..
- Effect of Ischemic Preconditioning on Microglial TranscriptomeJonathan Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal for a NIH Small Research Grant Program (R03) focuses on determining the effect of ischemic preconditioning (IPC) on the microglial cell transcriptome...
- Postconditioning reduces ischemic damage after stroke in ratsHeng Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ischemic preconditioning has been shown to protect against ischemic damage when given prior to a lethal ischemia, however, its clinical application for stroke patients is possible only when stroke ..
- Vascular KATP Channel Modulation in Hypercapnic AcidosisChun Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is known that hyperemia underlies the cardio-protective effect of ischemic preconditioning and the activity-dependent auto-regulation of cerebral circulation, and involves sensing of O2, CO2 and ..
- SIGNALING MECHANISMS IN PHARMACOLOGICAL PRECONDITIONINGRAKESH KUKREJA; Fiscal Year: 2004..the myocardium more resistant against subsequent sustained ischemia and reperfusion: a phenomenon called ischemic preconditioning (PC). The infarct limiting effect of PC is transient, disappearing in 2-3 hrs...
- OXYGEN RADICALS AND CARDIAC ADAPTATIONS TO ISCHEMIARoberto Bolli; Fiscal Year: 2009ecent evidence demonstrates that exercise induces delayed cardioprotection similar to that of ischemic preconditioning (PC), ia mechanisms that are presently unknown...
- Activin in cerebral hypoxia and acute focal ischemiaSHIBANI MUKERJI; Fiscal Year: 2009..A second approach is to determine which genes are upregulated following nonlethal ischemic preconditioning, a mechanism that can partially alleviate neural damage if a preconditioning stimulus is given prior to a ..
- Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Cardiac SurgeryWilliam Holman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This lab has found three methods (I-ischemic preconditioning, 2-Na/H exchange inhibition, and 3-reperfusion with a warm cardioplegia solution [controlled reperfusion])..
- Visual Sonics Vevo 770 High Frequency Ultrasound SystemTIMOTHY HACKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..monitoring the effects of novel delivery methods for cancer treatments, to modulation of infarctions by ischemic preconditioning, to using the radiofrequency (RF) capabilities of the machine to investigate soft tissue alterations in ..
- Microarray analysis of neuronal ischemic preconditioningPiyush Patel; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Ischemic preconditioning (PC) is a phenomenon whereby various stimuli, which themselves do not cause neuronal injury, will significantly reduce the vulnerability of the brain to subsequent lethal ischemia...
- PKC AND ISCHEMIC PRECONDITIONING OF MUSCLEClaudio Maldonado; Fiscal Year: 2002..will be to facilitate the development of the candidate into a highly trained scientist in the area of ischemic preconditioning (PC) of skeletal muscle to improve dynamic cardiomyoplasty...
- Bmx Tyrosine Kinase Signaling in Cardiac ProtectionSarah Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ischemic preconditioning is the most potent and consistently reproducible method of preventing heart tissue from undergoing irreversible ischemic damage...
- Functional Characterization of mABC1 ProteinHossein Ardehali; Fiscal Year: 2009..episodes may invoke a process that can protect against future ischemic insults, a mechanism known as ischemic preconditioning (IPC)...
- Sulfonylurea KATP channels in vascular spasmElizabeth McNally; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because KATP channels are pharmacologically accessible, KATP channels have been implicated in ischemic preconditioning, cardiac stress response, and in the generation of electrocardiographic evidence of cardiac ischemia and ..