Genomes and Genes
Summary: The science dealing with the establishment and maintenance of health in the individual and the group. It includes the conditions and practices conducive to health. (Webster, 3d ed)
Publications372 found, 100 shown here
- Integration of water, sanitation, and hygiene for the prevention and control of neglected tropical diseases: a rationale for inter-sectoral collaborationMatthew C Freeman
Department of Environmental Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2439. 2013Improvements of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure and appropriate health-seeking behavior are necessary for achieving sustained control, elimination, or eradication of many neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)...
- Effects of hygiene and defecation behavior on helminths and intestinal protozoa infections in Taabo, Côte d'IvoireThomas Schmidlin
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 8:e65722. 2013..The global strategy to control helminthiases is the regular administration of anthelmintic drugs to at-risk populations. However, rapid re-infection occurs in areas where hygiene, access to clean water, and sanitation are inadequate.
- Evaluation of the national Cleanyourhands campaign to reduce Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and Clostridium difficile infection in hospitals in England and Wales by improved hand hygiene: four year, prospective, ecological, interrupted time series studSheldon Paul Stone
Royal Free Campus, University College London Medical School, London NW3 2PF, UK
BMJ 344:e3005. 2012....
- The 'hygiene hypothesis' for autoimmune and allergic diseases: an updateH Okada
INSERM U1013, Necker Enfants Malades Hospital, Paris, France
Clin Exp Immunol 160:1-9. 2010According to the 'hygiene hypothesis', the decreasing incidence of infections in western countries and more recently in developing countries is at the origin of the increasing incidence of both autoimmune and allergic diseases...
- Hygiene: new hopes, new horizonsVal Curtis
The Hygiene Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 11:312-21. 2011Although promotion of safe hygiene is the single most cost-effective means of preventing infectious disease, investment in hygiene is low both in the health and in the water and sanitation sectors...
- The impact of a school-based hygiene, water quality and sanitation intervention on soil-transmitted helminth reinfection: a cluster-randomized trialMatthew C Freeman
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya Great Lakes University of Kisumu, Kisumu, Kenya University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Am J Trop Med Hyg 89:875-83. 2013We conducted a cluster-randomized trial to assess the impact of a school-based water treatment, hygiene, and sanitation program on reducing infection with soil-transmitted helminths (STHs) after school-based deworming...
- Reduction in the incidence of influenza A but not influenza B associated with use of hand sanitizer and cough hygiene in schools: a randomized controlled trialSamuel Stebbins
Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:921-6. 2011Laboratory-based evidence is lacking regarding the efficacy of nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) such as alcohol-based hand sanitizer and respiratory hygiene to reduce the spread of influenza.
- Planned, motivated and habitual hygiene behaviour: an eleven country reviewValerie A Curtis
Hygiene Centre, London School of Hygiene ropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Health Educ Res 24:655-73. 2009..The habitual aspects of many health-relevant behaviours require further study...
- Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection preventionB Allegranzi
First Global Patient Safety Challenge, World Alliance for Patient Safety, IER PSP, Room L319, L Building, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
J Hosp Infect 73:305-15. 2009..Hand hygiene is the leading measure for preventing the spread of antimicrobial resistance and reducing healthcare-associated ..
- Evidence of behaviour change following a hygiene promotion programme in Burkina FasoV Curtis
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England
Bull World Health Organ 79:518-27. 2001To determine whether a large, 3-year hygiene promotion programme in Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso, was effective in changing behaviours associated with the spread of diarrhoeal diseases...
- Water, sanitation and hygiene for the prevention of diarrhoeaSandy Cairncross
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:i193-205. 2010Ever since John Snow's intervention on the Broad St pump, the effect of water quality, hygiene and sanitation in preventing diarrhoea deaths has always been debated...
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for ProfJohn M Boyce
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 51:1-45, quiz CE1-4. 2002The Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings provides health-care workers (HCWs) with a review of data regarding handwashing and hand antisepsis in health-care settings...
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices (KAP) of hygiene among school children in Angolela, EthiopiaA P Vivas
Department of Epidemiology, Multidisciplinary International Research Training Program, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Prev Med Hyg 51:73-9. 2010Poor hygiene practices and inadequate sanitary conditions play major roles in the increased burden of communicable diseases within developing countries...
- Improving hygiene in home deliveries in rural Ghana: how to build on current attitudes and practicesZelee Hill
Centre for International Health and Development, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:1004-8. 2010..There are few data from Africa. This study explored delivery practices in Ghana to identify behaviors for intervention and to determine behavioral influencers...
- Overview of e-Bug: an antibiotic and hygiene educational resource for schoolsCliodna A M McNulty
Health Protection Agency Primary Care Unit, Microbiology Department, Gloucester Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1 3NN, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:v3-12. 2011..complementary games) that teach young people about prudent antibiotic use, microbes, transmission of infection, hygiene and vaccines...
- A missing link in the hygiene hypothesis?E A M Gale
Diabetes and Metabolism, Division of Medicine, University of Bristol, UK
Diabetologia 45:588-94. 2002..Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus has risen in parallel with that of childhood asthma, and the hygiene hypothesis proposes that this is due to reduced stimulation of the immune system by early intercurrent infection...
- Establishment of normal gut microbiota is compromised under excessive hygiene conditionsBettina Schmidt
Gut Immunology Group, Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e28284. 2011..Here, we sought to further investigate the impact of limiting microbial exposure during early life on the development of the pig gut microbiota...
- Evaluation of e-Bug, an educational pack, teaching about prudent antibiotic use and hygiene, in the Czech Republic, France and EnglandDonna M Lecky
Health Protection Agency Primary Care Unit, Microbiology Department, Gloucester Royal Hospital, Gloucester, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:2674-84. 2010..This study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of the e-Bug pack in improving children's knowledge in these key areas, when used within the National Curriculum in England, France and the Czech Republic...
- Effects of hand hygiene campaigns on incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza and absenteeism in schoolchildren, Cairo, EgyptMaha Talaat
US Naval Medical Research Unit No 3 NAMRU 3, Cairo, Egypt
Emerg Infect Dis 17:619-25. 2011To evaluate the effectiveness of an intensive hand hygiene campaign on reducing absenteeism caused by influenza-like illness (ILI), diarrhea, conjunctivitis, and laboratory-confirmed influenza, we conducted a randomized control trial in ..
- Secondhand smoke exposure, smoking hygiene, and hospitalization in the first 18 months of lifeGabriel M Leung
Department of Community Medicine and School of Public Health, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:687-93. 2004....
- Evaluation of an Australian indigenous housing programme: community level impact on crowding, infrastructure function and hygieneRoss S Bailie
Menzies School of Health Research, Institute of Advanced Studies, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 65:432-7. 2011....
- Exploring the immunology of parasitism--from surface antigens to the hygiene hypothesisR M Maizels
Centre for Immunity, Infection and Evolution, and Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, UK
Parasitology 136:1549-64. 2009..The review concludes with a forward look to where we may make future advances towards the final eradication of helminth diseases...
- Estimating the burden of disease from water, sanitation, and hygiene at a global levelAnnette Prüss
World Health Organization, Protection of the Human Environment, Geneva, Switzerland
Environ Health Perspect 110:537-42. 2002We estimated the disease burden from water, sanitation, and hygiene at the global level taking into account various disease outcomes, principally diarrheal diseases...
- Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in ArgentinaVictor D Rosenthal
Section of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Colegiales Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Infect Control 33:392-7. 2005Hand hygiene is a fundamental measure for the control of nosocomial infection. However, sustained compliance with hand hygiene in health care workers is poor...
- Helminths and the IBD hygiene hypothesisJoel V Weinstock
Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 15:128-33. 2009..People living in less developed countries are protected from IBD. The "IBD hygiene hypothesis" states that raising children in extremely hygienic environments negatively affects immune development,..
- 99th Dahlem conference on infection, inflammation and chronic inflammatory disorders: darwinian medicine and the 'hygiene' or 'old friends' hypothesisG A W Rook
Department Infection, University College London UCL, London, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 160:70-9. 2010The current synthesis of the 'hygiene hypothesis' suggests that the recent increase in chronic inflammatory disorders is at least partly attributable to immunodysregulation resulting from lack of exposure to microorganisms that have ..
- The hygiene hypothesis of atopic disease--an extended versionSamuli Rautava
Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, Finland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 38:378-88. 2004The hygiene hypothesis of atopic disease suggests that environmental changes in the industrialized world have lead to reduced microbial contact at an early age and thus resulted in the growing epidemic of atopic eczema, allergic ..
- Multiple sclerosis and the hygiene hypothesisJohn O Fleming
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53792 5132, USA
Neurology 67:2085-6. 2006
- Child dysentery in the Limpopo Valley: a cohort study of water, sanitation and hygiene risk factorsStephen W Gundry
Water and Health Research Centre, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1UB, UK
J Water Health 7:259-66. 2009..Remediation of water quality by treatment at source or in the household will be required to achieve access to safe drinking water in accordance with the 7th Millennium Development Goal...
- Outcomes from the first 2 years of the Australian National Hand Hygiene InitiativeM Lindsay Grayson
Infectious Diseases Department, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 195:615-9. 2011To report outcomes from the first 2 years of the National Hand Hygiene Initiative (NHHI), a hand hygiene (HH) culture-change program implemented in all Australian hospitals to improve health care workers' HH compliance, increase use of ..
- Burden of influenza, healthcare seeking behaviour and hygiene measures during the A(H1N1)2009 pandemic in France: a population based studyDieter Van Cauteren
Department of Infectious Diseases, Institut de Veille Sanitaire InVS French Institute for Public Health Surveillance, 12 rue de Val d Osne, St Maurice Cedex, 94415, France
BMC Public Health 12:947. 2012..A study was conducted to estimate the incidence and the burden of self-defined influenza, and to describe healthcare seeking behavior for self-defined influenza during the A(H1N1)2009 pandemic in the French population...
- Impact of ring wearing on hand contamination and comparison of hand hygiene agents in a hospitalWilliam E Trick
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:1383-90. 2003We determined risk factors for hand contamination and compared the efficacy of 3 randomly allocated hand hygiene agents in a group of surgical intensive care unit nurses...
- Menstruation and menstrual hygiene amongst adolescent school girls in Kano, Northwestern NigeriaU M Lawan
Department of Community Medicine, Bayero University Kano and Aminu Kano Te aching Hospital, Kano State
Afr J Reprod Health 14:201-7. 2010..the knowledge and practices of adolescent school girls in Kano, Nigeria around menstruation and menstrual hygiene. Data was collected quantitatively and analyzed using Epi info version 3.2.05...
- Hygiene in the home: relating bugs and behaviourVal Curtis
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, DCVBU ITD London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Kepple Street, London WCIE 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:657-72. 2003..An in-depth, multidisciplinary study of carer and child hygiene in the domestic environment in the Wirral, UK, employed structured observation, surface swabbing for polio ..
- Diarrhea prevention through food safety educationMini Sheth
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara 390 002, Gujarat, India
Indian J Pediatr 71:879-82. 2004..Food safety education (FSE) was imparted in order to reduce the prevalence of diarrhea in children and improving the knowledge, attitude and practices of mothers regarding safe feeding practices...
- Effects of intervention with the SAFE strategy on trachoma across EthiopiaA A Roba
Sector de Oftalmologia, Hospital Central Da Beira, Beira, Mozambique
J Epidemiol Community Health 65:626-31. 2011The impact of the SAFE strategy (surgery, antibiotics, face washing, environmental hygiene), recommended to eliminate blinding trachoma, is not well explored...
- Integrating disease control strategies: balancing water sanitation and hygiene interventions to reduce diarrheal disease burdenJoseph N S Eisenberg
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 3028, USA
Am J Public Health 97:846-52. 2007Although the burden of diarrheal disease resulting from inadequate water quality, sanitation practices, and hygiene remains high, there is little understanding of the integration of these environmental control strategies...
- Measures to control and prevent Clostridium difficile infectionDale N Gerding
Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S43-9. 2008..C. difficile spores survive routine environmental cleaning with detergents and hand hygiene with alcohol-based gels...
- Problems associated with traditional hygiene swabbing: the need for in-house standardizationG Moore
Food Research and Consultancy Unit, University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, Wales
J Appl Microbiol 103:1090-103. 2007..To investigate factors influencing the recovery of micro-organisms from surfaces using traditional swabbing techniques...
- Epidemiology and control of trachoma: systematic reviewVictor H Hu
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Trop Med Int Health 15:673-91. 2010..This has been associated with significant reductions in the prevalence of active disease over the past 20 years, but there remain a large number of people with trichiasis who are at risk of blindness...
- Implementing and sustaining a hand hygiene culture change programme at Auckland District Health BoardSally A Roberts
Department of Microbiology, LabPlus, Auckland City Hospital, Park Road, Grafton, Auckland, New Zealand
N Z Med J 125:75-85. 2012In January 2009 Auckland District Health Board commenced implementation of the Hand Hygiene New Zealand (HHNZ) programme to bring about a culture change and to improve hand hygiene compliance by healthcare workers...
- Interventions to improve water quality and supply, sanitation and hygiene practices, and their effects on the nutritional status of childrenAlan D Dangour
Department of Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, UK, WC1E 7HT
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 8:CD009382. 2013Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions are frequently implemented to reduce infectious diseases, and may be linked to improved nutrition outcomes in children.
- Vaginal practices among women at high risk of HIV infection in Uganda and Tanzania: recorded behaviour from a daily pictorial diarySuzanna C Francis
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e59085. 2013..The aim of the study was to describe and compare IVP using a daily pictorial diary...
- A qualitative exploration of reasons for poor hand hygiene among hospital workers: lack of positive role models and of convincing evidence that hand hygiene prevents cross-infectionV Erasmus
Department of Public Health, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:415-9. 2009To study potential determinants of hand hygiene compliance among healthcare workers in the hospital setting.
- Impact of a hygiene curriculum and the installation of simple handwashing and drinking water stations in rural Kenyan primary schools on student health and hygiene practicesMinal K Patel
Epidemic Intelligence Service and Division of Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmental Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 87:594-601. 2012School-based hygiene and water treatment programs increase student knowledge, improve hygiene, and decrease absenteeism, however health impact studies of these programs are lacking...
- Environmental reservoirs of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in isolation rooms: correlation with patient isolates and implications for hospital hygieneT Sexton
Department of Infection Control, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Hosp Infect 62:187-94. 2006..aureus (MRSA) include early identification of positive patients through screening, patient isolation, hand hygiene, nasal and skin decontamination, and the adequate cleaning and decontamination of clinical areas...
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HIPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task ForceJohn M Boyce
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven
Am J Infect Control 30:S1-46. 2002The Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings provides health-care workers (HCWs) with a review of data regarding handwashing and hand antisepsis in health-care settings...
- Beliefs about hand hygiene: a survey in medical students in their first clinical yearKarolin Graf
Insitute for Medical Microbiology and Hospital Epidemiology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Am J Infect Control 39:885-8. 2011Medical students were asked regarding knowledge and beliefs on hand hygiene before entering the clinical phase of education. By this, we noticed a lack of knowledge concerning the correct indications for hand disinfection...
- Variability in the Hawthorne effect with regard to hand hygiene performance in high- and low-performing inpatient care unitsErol Kohli
Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, New Hampshire, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:222-5. 2009OBJECTIVE. To determine the impact of known observers on hand hygiene performance in inpatient care units with differing baseline levels of hand hygiene compliance.
- Assessing the impact of a school-based water treatment, hygiene and sanitation programme on pupil absence in Nyanza Province, Kenya: a cluster-randomized trialMatthew C Freeman
Hubert Department of Global Health, Center for Global Safe Water, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Trop Med Int Health 17:380-91. 2012There has been increased attention to access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) at schools in developing countries, but a dearth of empirical studies on the impact...
- Impact of a school-based hygiene promotion and sanitation intervention on pupil hand contamination in Western Kenya: a cluster randomized trialLeslie E Greene
Center for Global Safe Water, Department of Environmental Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 87:385-93. 2012Handwashing with soap effectively reduces exposure to diarrhea-causing pathogens. Interventions to improve hygiene and sanitation conditions in schools within low-income countries have gained increased attention; however, their impact on ..
- Interim evaluation of a large scale sanitation, hygiene and water improvement programme on childhood diarrhea and respiratory disease in rural BangladeshTarique Md Nurul Huda
International Centre for Diarrheal Diseases Research, Bangladesh
Soc Sci Med 75:604-11. 2012Started in 2007, the Sanitation Hygiene Education and Water Supply in Bangladesh (SHEWA-B) project aims to improve the hygiene, sanitation and water supply for 20 million people in Bangladesh, and thus reduce disease among this ..
- Intestinal parasites prevalence and related factors in school children, a western city sample--TurkeyPinar Okyay
Department of Public Health, Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
BMC Public Health 4:64. 2004....
- Water quality deterioration: a study of household drinking water quality in rural HondurasAndrew Francis Trevett
Institute of Water and Environment, Cranfield University, Silsoe, Bedford, UK
Int J Environ Health Res 14:273-83. 2004..The commonality of water management practice would be an asset in introducing appropriate intervention measures...
- The impact of a school-based safe water and hygiene programme on knowledge and practices of students and their parents: Nyanza Province, western Kenya, 2006C E O'Reilly
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:80-91. 2008Safe drinking water and hygiene are essential to reducing Kenya's diarrhoeal disease burden...
- Childhood asthma epidemiology: insights from comparative studies of rural and urban populationsGary W K Wong
Department of Pediatrics, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, China
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:107-16. 2008..Advances in the understanding of the genetic predisposition and how these genetic factors may interact with specific environment factors are of paramount importance for the future development of primary preventive strategies for asthma...
- Evidence that hospital hygiene is important in the control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusA Rampling
Public Health Laboratory, Pathology Department, Dorset County Hospital, Williams Avenue, Dorchester, DT1 2JY, UK
J Hosp Infect 49:109-16. 2001..From January 1998 to September 1999, despite standard infection control measures (emphasis on hand hygiene, isolation of affected patients and staggered closure and cleaning of ward bays), 69 patients acquired a strain ..
- Hygiene and sanitation among ethnic minorities in Northern Vietnam: does government promotion match community priorities?Thilde Rheinländer
Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Oster Farigmagsgade 5A, Entrance P, 1353 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Soc Sci Med 71:994-1001. 2010Improving sanitation and hygiene to prevent infectious diseases is of high priority in developing countries...
- Is structured observation a valid technique to measure handwashing behavior? Use of acceleration sensors embedded in soap to assess reactivity to structured observationPavani K Ram
University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14221, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1070-6. 2010..These findings call into question the validity of structured observation for measurement of handwashing behavior...
- Marketing hygiene behaviours: the impact of different communication channels on reported handwashing behaviour of women in GhanaBeth E Scott
Environmental Health Group, London, UK
Health Educ Res 23:392-401. 2008..events are more effective agents of behaviour change than mass media commercials, at least in the case of hygiene promotion...
- Causal inference methods to study nonrandomized, preexisting development interventionsBenjamin F Arnold
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7358, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22605-10. 2010..We illustrate the method using a sanitation mobilization, water supply, and hygiene intervention in rural India...
- Review series on helminths, immune modulation and the hygiene hypothesis: the broader implications of the hygiene hypothesisGraham A W Rook
Centre for Infectious Diseases and International Health, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, London, UK
Immunology 126:3-11. 2009..The hygiene hypothesis suggests that the resulting changed and reduced pattern of exposure to microorganisms has led to ..
- Does hygiene counseling have an impact on the rate of CMV primary infection during pregnancy? Results of a 3-year prospective study in a French hospitalChristelle Vauloup-Fellous
INSERM U, Universite Paris Sud, Clamart, France
J Clin Virol 46:S49-53. 2009..Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is the most frequent cause of congenital viral infection in developed countries...
- Creating demand for sanitation and hygiene through Community Health Clubs: a cost-effective intervention in two districts in ZimbabweJuliet Waterkeyn
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:1958-70. 2005..study describes an innovative methodology used in Zimbabwe--Community Health Clubs--which significantly changed hygiene behaviour and built rural demand for sanitation...
- Hygiene measures considering actual distributions of microorganisms in Japanese householdsM Ojima
Kao Life Style Research Institute, Kao Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
J Appl Microbiol 93:800-9. 2002Effective household hygiene measures require that sources of bacterial contamination and the places to which contamination spreads be carefully identified...
- The potential of schoolchildren as health change agents in rural western KenyaW Onyango-Ouma
Institute of African Studies, University of Nairobi, P O Box 30197, Nairobi, Kenya
Soc Sci Med 61:1711-22. 2005..The study, which used questionnaire surveys, involved a pre-test of knowledge about malaria, diarrhea and hygiene among the recipient groups...
- Hygiene behaviour and associated factors among in-school adolescents in nine African countriesSupa Pengpid
School of Public Health, University of Limpopo, Pretoria, South Africa
Int J Behav Med 18:150-9. 2011This report examines hygiene behaviour and associated factors among 13-15 year old in-school adolescents in nine African countries.
- Dirty money: an investigation into the hygiene status of some of the world's currencies as obtained from food outletsFrank Vriesekoop
Institute of Crop and Food Science, School of Science and Engineering, University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Australia
Foodborne Pathog Dis 7:1497-502. 2010..If neither of these precautions can be effectively implemented, it is highly recommended that food service personnel practice proper hand washing procedures after handling money and before handling food...
- The increased prevalence of allergy and the hygiene hypothesis: missing immune deviation, reduced immune suppression, or both?Sergio Romagnani
Center for Research, Transfer and High Education MCIDNENT, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Immunology 112:352-63. 2004..is attributable to a reduced microbial burden during childhood, as a consequence of Westernized lifestyle (the 'hygiene hypothesis')...
- Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections and their relation with socio-economic factors and hygienic habits in Tehran primary school studentsJavad Nematian
Department of Mycology and Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Azad University of Tehran, Zargande, Gholhak, Dr Shariati Street, Tehran, Iran
Acta Trop 92:179-86. 2004..According to the results, low level of education and consequently poor socio-economic and hygienic condition of families appear to be powerful determinants of infection...
- The effect of a soap promotion and hygiene education campaign on handwashing behaviour in rural India: a cluster randomised trialAdam Biran
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, WC1E 7HT, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 14:1303-14. 2009To investigate the effectiveness of a hygiene promotion intervention based on germ awareness in increasing handwashing with soap on key occasions (after faecal contact and before eating) in rural Indian households.
- What causes sustainable changes in hygiene behaviour? A cross-sectional study from Kerala, IndiaSandy Cairncross
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:2212-20. 2005..was designed and the field work carried out by a non-governmental organisation (NGO) responsible for implementing hygiene promotion...
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 in veal calf farming: human MRSA carriage related with animal antimicrobial usage and farm hygieneHaitske Graveland
Division of Environmental Epidemiology, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e10990. 2010..In this cross-sectional study, we investigated factors associated with MRSA colonization in veal calves and humans working and living on these farms...
- Cohort study of sibling effect, infectious diseases, and risk of atopic dermatitis during first 18 months of lifeChristine Stabell Benn
Department of Epidemiology Research, Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Statens Serum Institut, Denmark
BMJ 328:1223. 2004..To determine whether early infectious diseases could explain the association between number of siblings and other markers of microbial exposure and the development of atopic dermatitis before the age of 18 months...
- Hygiene could affect GERD prevalence independently: a population-based study in TehranMehdi Nouraie
Digestive Disease Research Center, Shariati Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Am J Gastroenterol 102:1353-60. 2007..Population-based data on gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in Iran are limited. Current study is going to determine the prevalence of GERD in Tehran, Iran, and its association with potential risk factors...
- Geographical analysis of the role of water supply and sanitation in the risk of helminth infections of children in West AfricaRicardo J Soares Magalhaes
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, 4006 QLD, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20084-9. 2011Globally, inadequate water supply, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) are major contributors to mortality and burden of disease...
- Atopic dermatitis and the hygiene hypothesis revisitedCarsten Flohr
Department of Paediatric Dermatology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and King s College London, London, UK
Curr Probl Dermatol 41:1-34. 2011We published a systematic review on atopic dermatitis (AD) and the hygiene hypothesis in 2005. Since then, the body of literature has grown significantly.
- Hypothesis: dysregulation of immunologic balance resulting from hygiene and socioeconomic factors may influence the epidemiology and cause of glomerulonephritis worldwideRichard J Johnson
Division of Nephrology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 42:575-81. 2003..According to the Hygiene Hypothesis, overcrowding and poor hygiene early in life may protect from atopic diseases because exposure to ..
- Tooth cleaning frequency in relation to socio-demographic variables and personal hygiene measures among school children of Udaipur district, IndiaS Kumar
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Darshan Dental College and Hospital, Rajasthan, India
Int J Dent Hyg 9:3-8. 2011The aim of the study was to determine if frequency of tooth cleaning varies with social group, family size, bedtime and other personal hygiene habits among school children.
- Disparities in parasitic infections, perceived ill health and access to health care among poorer and less poor schoolchildren of rural Côte d'IvoireGiovanna Raso
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 10:42-57. 2005..These findings call for more equity-balanced parasitic disease control interventions, which in turn might be an important strategy for poverty alleviation...
- Infections in child day care centers and later development of asthma, allergic rhinitis, and atopic dermatitis: prospective follow-up survey 12 years after controlled randomized hygiene interventionTeija Dunder
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:972-7. 2007..To evaluate the effect of successful prevention of common infections in child day care centers on the later development of allergic diseases...
- Evaluation of an educational campaign to increase hand hygiene at a small animal veterinary teaching hospitalAnnie Shea
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, North Grafton, MA 02155, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 240:61-4. 2012To establish baseline data on rates of hand hygiene behavior, evaluate the effectiveness of an educational intervention aimed at improving hand hygiene, and determine whether methods similar to those applied in human hospitals to improve ..
- Twenty-four-hour observational study of hospital hand hygiene complianceJ Randle
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, The Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Hosp Infect 76:252-5. 2010This observational study measured healthcare workers' (HCWs'), patients' and visitors' hand hygiene compliance over a 24h period in two hospital wards using the 'five moments of hand hygiene' observation tool...
- The effect of improved compliance with hygiene guidelines on transmission of Staphylococcus aureus to newborn infants: the Swedish Hygiene Intervention and Transmission of S aureus studySara Mernelius
Microbiology Laboratory, Department of Laboratory Services, Division of Medical Services, Ryhov County Hospital, Jonkoping, Sweden
Am J Infect Control 41:585-90. 2013..We therefore use colonization with S aureus of newborn infants to determine the effect of an improved compliance with hygiene guidelines on bacterial transmission.
- Domestic hygiene and diarrhoea - pinpointing the problemV Curtis
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 5:22-32. 2000Improving domestic hygiene practices is potentially one of the most effective means of reducing the global burden of diarrhoeal diseases in children. However, encouraging behaviour change is a complex and uncertain business...
- Facemasks, hand hygiene, and influenza among young adults: a randomized intervention trialAllison E Aiello
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29744. 2012..Our objective was to examine if the use of face masks and hand hygiene reduced rates of influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed influenza in the natural setting...
- Hand hygiene practices of veterinary support staff in small animal private practiceR K Nakamura
Department of Cardiology, Advanced Veterinary Care Center, Lawndale, CA, USA
J Small Anim Pract 53:155-60. 2012To evaluate the hand hygiene (HH) practices among veterinary technicians (VT) and veterinary support staff (VSS) in small animal private practice.
- Review of the evidence base for the 'F' and 'E' components of the SAFE strategy for trachoma controlP M Emerson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Durham, UK
Trop Med Int Health 5:515-27. 2000..Environmental improvement with access to water, enhanced hygiene and better sanitation reduces trachoma transmission and the blinding sequelae eventually disappear...
- A typhoid fever outbreak in a slum of South Dumdum municipality, West Bengal, India, 2007: evidence for foodborne and waterborne transmissionRama Bhunia
Field Epidemiology Training Programme, National Institute of Epidemiology Indian Council of Medical Research, Chennai, India
BMC Public Health 9:115. 2009..In April 2007, a slum of South Dumdum municipality, West Bengal reported an increase in fever cases. We investigated to identify the agent, the source and to propose recommendations...
- Dissemination and sustainability of a hospital-wide hand hygiene program emphasizing positive reinforcementJeanmarie Mayer
Division of Epidemiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 32:59-66. 2011To increase and sustain hospital-wide compliance with hand hygiene through a long-term ongoing multidimensional improvement program emphasizing behavioral factors.
- Effectiveness of a hand hygiene promotion strategy using alcohol-based handrub in 6 intensive care units in ColombiaLena Barrera
Department of Internal Medicine and School of Public Health, University of Valle, Cali, Colombia
Am J Infect Control 39:633-9. 2011Hand hygiene is an effective strategy for the prevention of health care-associated infection (HAI)...
- [Assessment of hygiene practices in anaesthesia between 1998 and 2007 in Lorraine]S Anselme
Antenne régionale de lutte contre les infections nosocomiales de Lorraine, Hopital de Brabois, rue du Morvan, 54511 Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 28:28-34. 2009To study the assessment of hygiene practices in anaesthesia in Lorraine between 1998 and 2007, after recommendations from the French Society of Anaesthesia and Reanimation (SFAR) in December 1997, and different local actions.
- Cross-contamination in the kitchen: effect of hygiene measuresA E I de Jong
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Laboratory for Zoonoses and Environmental Microbiology, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Appl Microbiol 105:615-24. 2008To determine the effect of hygiene measures on cross-contamination of Campylobacter jejuni at home and to select a safe tracer organism for C. jejuni.
- Improving sleep hygiene of medical interns: can the sleep, alertness, and fatigue education in residency program help?Vineet M Arora
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Mail Code 2007, Ste AMB W216, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1738-44. 2007....
- Are unhygienic practices during the menstrual, partum and postpartum periods risk factors for secondary infertility?Tazeen Saeed Ali
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Nursing, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Health Popul Nutr 25:189-94. 2007..5, 95% CI 1.3-4.7). Since these factors are preventable/modifiable to a great extent, public-health interventions are, thus, recommended to address these risk factors at various levels...
- Measuring rates of hand hygiene adherence in the intensive care setting: a comparative study of direct observation, product usage, and electronic counting devicesAlexandre R Marra
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, Statistics Department, Instituto Israelita de Ensino e Pesquisa, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:796-801. 2010To compare 3 measures of hand hygiene adherence-direct observation, product usage, and electronic counting devices-in an intensive care unit.
- Factors associated with personal protection equipment use and hand hygiene among hemodialysis staffGayle Shimokura
Department of Epidemiology, UNC School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Infect Control 34:100-7. 2006..workers is frequent during hemodialysis, gloves are required for all contact with patients and their equipment, followed by hand hygiene. In this study, we investigated factors associated with performing these practices as recommended.
- Hygiene levels in a contemporary population cohort are associated with wheezing and atopic eczema in preschool infantsA Sherriff
Unit of Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, Department of Child Health, University of Bristol, UK
Arch Dis Child 87:26-9. 2002The hygiene hypothesis states that insufficient exposure to certain infectious agents during childhood increases the risk of developing asthma and atopic diseases...
- Hand hygiene behavior in a pediatric emergency department and a pediatric intensive care unit: comparison of use of 2 dispenser systemsElaine L Larson
School of Nursing, Columbia University and Department of Epidemiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, USA
Am J Crit Care 14:304-11; quiz 312. 2005Adherence to hand hygiene standards is poor. Approaches and systems to improve hand hygiene practices warrant testing.
- Environmental risk factors in inflammatory bowel diseases. Investigating the hygiene hypothesis: a Spanish case-control studyPilar López-Serrano
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitario Fundacion Alcorcon, Spain
Scand J Gastroenterol 45:1464-71. 2010..factors have been implicated in the etiology of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), but evidence for the hygiene hypothesis is unclear...
- Postural hygiene program to prevent low back painF J Mendez
Department of Personality, Psychological Assessment and Treatment, University of Murcia, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1280-6. 2001..A quasi-experimental study with 3 x 4 design was performed...
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) for bone density and body composition;questionnaires on lifestyle habits, oral hygiene and medical history;resting blood pressure;and a fasting blood sample meticulously collected, processed and ..
- Adenosine and the Basal Forebrain in the Control of Behavioral StateRobert E Strecker; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recognizing the importance sleep hygiene for the VA healthcare system, we recently began work on an animal model of chronic sleep restriction...
- Effect of diet & commensal bacteria on diabetes outcome in NOD mouseLi Wen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, the rise of these human health problems is correlated with changes in our environment including our hygiene. Although genetic susceptibility, such as the MHC, play an important role in type 1 diabetes, an immune system-..
- Development and Validation of an Instrument to Assess Cognitive Function RegulatiXi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..g, making treatment decisions, performing oral hygiene care, and following homecare instructions), remarkably increasing risk of dental caries, periodontal disease and ..
- Multivariate CART for survival with dental applicationsMartha E Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2013..loss, complete restorative and periodontal records with follow-up, significant medical history, smoking, oral hygiene, special needs, compliance, frequency of dental visits and other parameters that are collected as part of dental ..
- Combination Clostridium Difficile Toxin and Adhesin VaccineCiaran P Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2013..commercially available, and measures to prevent CDAD through patient isolation and implementation of hand-hygiene and contact precautions have had variable and often limited success. We propose to develop a recombinant C...
- Metagenomic profiling of oral polymicrobial flora in head and neck cancersCharis Eng; Fiscal Year: 2011..the incidence of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) has been shown to correlate with dental hygiene, which may suggest the relevance of bacteria in the pathogenesis of this particular malignancy...
- Combination Clostridium Difficile Toxin and Adhesin VaccineCiaran P Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2011..commercially available, and measures to prevent CDAD through patient isolation and implementation of hand-hygiene and contact precautions have had variable and often limited success. We propose to develop a recombinant C...
- Reducing Care-Resistant Behaviors During Oral Hygiene in Persons with DementiaRita A Jablonski; Fiscal Year: 2013..The oral health of these elders deteriorates in the absence of daily oral hygiene, predisposing them to harmful systemic problems such as pneumonia, hyperglycemia, cardiac disease, and cerebral ..
- Optimal Prevention and Control of Periodontal Disease: The Periodontal Pocket IrrThomas E Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2011..Most patients are unable to maintain adequate oral hygiene to prevent recurrence of their disease leading to additional health care expense...
- Does ArsenicMitigation in BangladeshRaiseExposure to Bacterial and ViralPathogensALEXANDER FRANS VAN GEEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..world have been modest, possibly because of a lack of sufficient parallel improvements in sanitation and hygiene. In a recent meta-analysis of 64 studies, Fewtrell and Colford (2004) found that water supply, water quality, ..
- Academic-Community Partnerships to Brdge Across the U.S. Pacific IslandsAlice Tse; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The University of Hawaii at Manoa School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene (UH) will implement a project that will build a structure for community based participatory research (CBPR) across the US ..
- Factors Associated with Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Guideline AdherenceHiroko Kiyoshi-Teo; Fiscal Year: 2011..This cross-sectional survey will address six common VAP strategies: hand hygiene, oral hygiene, semi-recumbent patient positioning, subglottic suctioning, early weaning from mechanical ..
- Effect of a sanitation &nutrition intervention on HIV-exposed infant healthJEAN HAWES HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2012..The intervention will include sanitation services (provision of a latrine), improved hygiene (promotion of hand washing), and improved nutrition (promotion of exclusive BF from birth to 6 mo for all infants;..
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Stable Heart FailureNancy S Redeker; Fiscal Year: 2010..with stable HF will be randomized to 7 weeks of CBT-I or 7-weeks of HF self-management education with sleep hygiene (attention control)...
- Dental Caries: Whole Genome Association and Gene x Environment StudiesMary L Marazita; Fiscal Year: 2010..factors contribute to a person's risk for caries, including environmental factors such as diet, oral hygiene, fluoride exposure and the level of colonization of cariogenic bacteria and host factors such as salivary flow...
- New Personal Sampling Methods that Conform to an Aerosol Deposition ConventionDARRAH KAYE SLEETH; Fiscal Year: 2013..I have a PhD in Industrial Health and an MPH in Industrial Hygiene &Hazardous Substances, both from the University of Michigan...
- Early Environmental Hygiene and Pediatric AsthmaChristine C Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..If factors associated with animal or endotoxin contact are related to asthma risk, such factors would likely lend themselves to public health interventions. ..
- Liquid Crystal-Based End-of-Service-Life-Indicator for Toluene VaporBHARAT R ACHARYA; Fiscal Year: 2011..are exposed to vapors from organic solvents that are recognized by National Institute of Occupational Safety and Hygiene (NIOSH) as carcinogens, reproductive hazards, and/or neurotoxins...
- Daily Mouth Care to Prevent Pneumonia in Nursing Homes: A Systems-Level ApproachSheryl Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Poor oral hygiene is therefore a critical risk factor for pneumonia because it increases the volume and infectious nature of ..
- Addressing Oral Health Disparities in Individuals with Mental Health ProblemsLisa J Heaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indirectly, mood and anxiety disorders can interfere with motivation for adequate oral hygiene and willingness to seek preventive dental treatment...
- Chicago Prevention and Intervention Epicenter (Chicago PIE)ROBERT ALAN WEINSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite improved use of the most essential HAI control measure, hand hygiene by healthcare workers, adherence still lags and additional measures are needed...
- Antimicrobial and Regenerative Treatment for Oral MucositisSHENDA BAKER; Fiscal Year: 2012..to the severity of mucositis, a wide variety of treatment options have been tested including simple oral hygiene, infection prevention, anti- inflammatory agents, reactive oxygen species, salivary function modifiers, coating ..
- A qualitative description of a pilot project to improve access to care in one DenSARAH ELAINE RASKIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..I will also impact practice by giving lectures to students of dental hygiene, public policy, and other fields at community colleges and 4-year institutions in central Appalachia, while I am ..
- DUST MITE, COCKROACH AND CAT ALLERGENS IN ASTHMAThomas A Platts-Mills; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed experiments address several aspects of the problem from: I. Studies in developing or "pre-hygiene" regions, designed to understand why children in those countries do not have either high titer IgE antibodies to ..
- Leveraging Opportunities to Improve Oral Health in Older AdultsMARY EVELYN NORTHRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2011..B) Examine the effects of alternative interventions involving, e.g., treatment and oral hygiene activity, on the prevalence and burden of tooth loss and other oral diseases using simulations from our SD model...
- Waterless hand sanitizer for diarrhea prevention in a humanitarian emergencyPavani Kalluri Ram; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the humanitarian emergency context, a waterless method of improving hand hygiene could overcome water supply concerns, require less frequent replenishment than water, and represent an efficient ..
- Development of targeted photodynamic therapy for treatment of dental cariesRandal Eckert; Fiscal Year: 2010..Once established in the oral microbial community, S. mutans can persist despite diligent dental hygiene practices...
- Translating CBT-Insomnia for Lung Cancer into practice: A RCTGrace E Dean; Fiscal Year: 2013..CBT-I consists of sleep restriction, stimulus control, relaxation, sleep hygiene education and cognitive therapy that focuses on dysfunctional sleep-related thoughts and unhelpful sleep ..
- Field Validation of New XRF Analyzers: Assessing Personal Exposure to MetalsPATRICK JEREMY PARSONS; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., cosmetics, personal hygiene products) and matrices (e.g...
- Oral Health Intervention for Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled PersonsKNOWLTON WILLIAM JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..These individuals are more likely to have poor oral hygiene, increased decay, and periodontal disease than the general population-a significant health disparity...
- Childhood Illness and Risk Perception: Opportunity to Improve HandwashingPavani Kalluri Ram; Fiscal Year: 2010..health benefits of handwashing, data from numerous settings confirm that individuals do not practice good hand hygiene at the appropriate times...
- Inhibition of oral bacterial biofilm formation using natural products-inspired orNATHANIEL CHARLES CADY; Fiscal Year: 2012..shown to contain hundreds of species of bacteria and are resistant to removal and eradication by traditional oral hygiene practices, such as frequent tooth brushing or oral rinsing with mouthwash...
- Head and Neck Cancer Risk Prediction ModelYuan Chin Amy Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..to conduct a comprehensive analysis of risk factors by pooling additional data on occupational exposures and oral hygiene, and to estimate their corresponding attributable risks by geographic region in the INHANCE Consortium;2) to ..
- Longitudinal Study of Dental Caries in VLBW InfantsSuchitra S Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2013..mutans levels) and infant oral health behavior (feeding, diet, oral hygiene practices, and dental access), and independent variables (demographics, parent predisposing, enabling, need ..
- A novel strategy in antimicrobial drug discovery against Porphyromonas gingivalisVICTORIA NANETTE STONE; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition to this, poor oral hygiene has been associated with systemic diseases such as infective endocarditis, a potentially lethal infection of the ..
- Mucosal Mechanisms Linking Pulmonary and Gastrointestinal Inflammation/ImmunityGary B Huffnagle; Fiscal Year: 2010..in acute infections and/or alterations of the microbiota in "more hygienic" lifestyles may promote disease (the "hygiene hypothesis")...
- Scaling up services for people with psychosis in Nigeria: a pilot studyOyewusi Gureje; Fiscal Year: 2012..To achieve this goal, we propose to establish a collaboration between the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, and the University of Ibadan...
- Contact Network Epidemiology of Influenza and Other Nosocomial InfectionsALBERTO MARIA contact SEGRE; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Vaccination and hand hygiene are commonly believed to be the most effective measures for preventing the spread of hospital-acquired infections...
- Targeted Infection Prevention (TIP) Program in Nursing HomesLona Mody; Fiscal Year: 2013..Component 3: A hand hygiene promotion program...
- Insights for Community HealthANTOINETTE M SCHOENTHALER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In NYC, the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) has developed Keep on Track (KOT), a volunteer-run, community program that aims to lower BP of older ..
- Dentin Fluoride as a Biomarker for Childhood Fluoride IntakeJAMES STERN WEFEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Increased access to dental care, improved oral hygiene, fluoride incorporation into professional dental products and fluoridated toothpaste have also aided in this ..
- The Wnt-chromatin axis in agingJohn M Sedivy; Fiscal Year: 2011..This change has come about largely through improved public hygiene, decreased child mortality and a decrease in infectious diseases...
- Neighborhood Environments and Disparities in Obesity Rates in New York CityAndrew G Rundle; Fiscal Year: 2010..research is a collaboration between Columbia University and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYCDOHMH)...
- MAM'Out project: evaluation of innovative approaches to prevent acute malnutritioPatrick Kolsteren; Fiscal Year: 2013..children age and will encompass issues with nutritional education, care practices, health, child development and hygiene. The second approach consists of a seasonal and multi-annual cash transfer (CT) program in the framework of a ..
- Agricultural Intervention to Improve Health of HIV-infected and Affected ChildrenLisa Michelle Butler; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., immunizations, hygiene practices, and use of insecticide-treated bednets) and child health outcomes, including growth, disease, and ..
- Virtual Occupational Therapy Assistant (VOTA)Richard J Adams; Fiscal Year: 2012..practice, a desktop motion tracking system will permit realistic interactions in scenarios spanning personal hygiene, dressing, eating, meal preparation, shopping, laundry, cleaning, telephone use, medication management, fire ..
- A Four-arm Prospective, Multicenter Study to Assess the Clinical Efficacy, EffectDaniel J Sexton; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Meticulous and consistent use of hand hygiene before and after patient care remains the cornerstone of infection prevention in all health care settings...
- The Examination of Infection Prevention and Crowding in the Emergency DepartmentEILEEN JULIANA CARTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., aseptic technique during the placement of invasive devices and hand hygiene during patient care...
- Validation of New Diagnostic Technologies for Dental CariesJAMES STERN WEFEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..use of fluoride in public health programs, such as communal water fluoridation, dental practice and in oral hygiene products. In spite of this dramatic improvement, dental caries continues to be the most prevalent dental disease...
- Social Networks and the Spread of Influenza and other Nosocomial InfectionsPhilip M Polgreen; Fiscal Year: 2012..aureus could be magnified in hospitals. Vaccination and hand hygiene are the most effective measures for preventing the spread of hospital-acquired infections...
- Oral Home Telecare for TetraplegicsHon K Yuen; Fiscal Year: 2010..tetraplegia tend to have more plaque and gingival inflammation due to lack of manual dexterity in performing oral hygiene. The combination of poor oral hygiene performance and dry mouth from xerostomia-causing medications (commonly ..
- Environment Change and Diarrheal Disease: A Natural ExperimentJoseph N S Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..have denser social networks and more social capital, which has been shown to lead to improved sanitation and hygiene, directly affecting diarrheal disease incidence...
- Occupational Safety and Health Training and Education GrantLINDA FAYE GRIMSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The purpose of the Industrial Hygiene program at Tulane University is to provide industrial hygiene training for candidates, enabling them to seek employment in government, labor, the private sector, ..
- Helminthic Protection from IBDJOEL VINCENT WEINSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, we proposed that the modern day absence of exposure to intestinal helminths resulting from this hygiene is an important environmental factor contributing to IBD in industrialized societies...
- Development of Population-Based Screening for DiGeorge Syndrome Type 1AOY MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2009..between scientists and physician-scientists at CHW/MCW and scientists at the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene. There are two main goals of our proposal...
- Skeletal muscle biology in rheumatoid arthritisHakan Westerblad; Fiscal Year: 2013..activities such as walking, sitting and rising from chairs, opening containers, dressing oneself, and personal hygiene. Weakness also contributes to postural instability in RA, predisposing individuals to fall-related injuries, and ..
- Regulation of B cell Clonal Diversity and Its Role in DiseaseJOHN FRANKLIN KEARNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The "hygiene hypothesis" links the increasing allergic and autoimmune phenomena to excessively sanitary conditions early in ..
- TRANSMISSION DYNAMICS OF CA-MRSA AMONG HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS AND THE HOME ENVIRONMENTSTEPHANIE ANN FRITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the interplay of household colonization pressure and transmission, hygiene and behavioral risk factors, and environmental contamination influencing CA-MRSA colonization and infection has ..
- PREGNANCY RISK ASSESSMENT MONITORING SYSTEMCandace Mulready-Ward; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Maternal, Infant and Reproductive Health (BMIRH) of the New York City (NYC) Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) is requesting assistance from the CDC to continue the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS) ..
- Immunomodulation of Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis by Gut ParasitesZsuzsanna Fabry; Fiscal Year: 2010..Among the hypotheses advanced to explain MS is the hygiene hypothesis, which posits that a lack of evolutionary normal infectious exposures during childhood predisposes a ..
- Statewide Implementation of Health Homes for SMI:Building Research InfrastructureGail L Daumit; Fiscal Year: 2013..In partnership with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and mental health provider stakeholders, we propose the following Specific Aims: 1) Develop and analyze a cohort ..
- Occupational Safety and Health Traning GrantFrank S Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2010..Provided by Applicant): This proposal requests continued support for the graduate program in Industrial Hygiene at Purdue University, offering masters and doctorate degrees...
- Oral H. pylori Prevalence in Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled AdultsCatherine Binkley; Fiscal Year: 2009..pylori in the mouth. The oral status of ID/DD adults is reported to be poor due to inadequate oral hygiene, leading to increased plaque, caries and periodontal disease...
- Randomized Trial/Reduce Recurrence/Bacterial VaginosisKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Poor male genital hygiene was also associated with BV in the female partners...
- GU Infection Self-Diagnosis for Deployed Military WomenNancy Ryan Wenger; Fiscal Year: 2004..S. military, and regularly deploy to austere military environments where harsh climate and terrain, primitive hygiene facilities, and unavailable or unacceptable health care resources for women increase women's risk for development ..
- INTERACTIVE DENTAL EDUCATION IN TOBACCO CESSATIONHerbert Severson; Fiscal Year: 2000..The Phase I interactive program is aimed at dental and dental hygiene students...
- International Program for Mining Health and SafetyJefferey Burgess; Fiscal Year: 2006..aims: 1) Train African scientists in environmental and occupational health, mining engineering, industrial hygiene, and epidemiology at the masters level at the UA...
- The Dorsal Wrist: Function in the Normal & Injured StateRita Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2007..to functional disability and even inability to perform activities of daily living (eating, dressing, and personal hygiene)...
- Adapting a web-based eating disorder program for oral health trainingHerbert H Severson; Fiscal Year: 2010..goal of this project is to adapt a web-based training prototype to be tailored for use in dental and dental hygiene training programs which will increase the capacity among oral health providers for the delivery of eating ..
- Brief Dental Office Intervention with Tobacco QuitlineJon Ebbert; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. population completed more than 70 million clinical encounters with an oral health professional. Dental hygiene visits provide an opportunity to acquire information about the impact of tobacco use on oral health...
- Lysine decarboxylase in periodontitis patientsMartin Levine; Fiscal Year: 2004..Dentally attached (DAT) cells, keratinocytes that are activated by persistent trauma from mastication and oral hygiene. These rapidly dividing cells form the internal basement lamina of junctional epithelium (JE) and maintain the ..
- Statistical Methods for Complex Dependent Dental DataDavid Todem; Fiscal Year: 2006..is for a very extensive study that comprises both cross-sectional and longitudinal investigations of oral hygiene among Flemish schoolchildren...
- RISK FACTORS FOR YOUNG ADULT HODGKIN'S DISEASE IN TWINSWendy Cozen; Fiscal Year: 2004..This "hygiene hypothesis" has been used to explain the relationship between sib-ship size and risk of other diseases, such as ..