Genomes and Genes
total parenteral nutrition
Summary: The delivery of nutrients for assimilation and utilization by a patient whose sole source of nutrients is via solutions administered intravenously, subcutaneously, or by some other non-alimentary route. The basic components of TPN solutions are protein hydrolysates or free amino acid mixtures, monosaccharides, and electrolytes. Components are selected for their ability to reverse catabolism, promote anabolism, and build structural proteins.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- [Total enteral nutrition vs. total parenteral nutrition in patients with severe acute pancreatitis]M Casas
Servicios de Patología Digestiva, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 99:264-9. 2007To compare the efficacy of early total enteral nutrition (TEN) vs. total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in patients with severe acute pancreatitis (SAP).
- Total parenteral nutrition induced liver pathology: an autopsy series of 24 newborn casesEduardo Zambrano
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, 310 Cedar Street, Lauder Hall, LB20, P O Box 208023, New Haven, CT 06520 8023, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 7:425-32. 2004b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-induced liver injury is a common complication in neonates managed with newborn intensive care...
- Decreased phospho-Akt signaling in a mouse model of total parenteral nutrition: a potential mechanism for the development of intestinal mucosal atrophyYongjia Feng
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Univ of Michigan, Mott Children s Hospital F3970, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5245, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G833-41. 2010b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) leads to a decline in phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)/phospho-Akt (p-Akt) activity, affecting downstream signaling, reducing epithelial cell (EC) proliferation, and contributing to intestinal mucosal ..
- Growth of microorganisms in total parenteral nutrition solutions containing lipidTakashi Kuwahara
Preclinical Assessment Department, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, Tokushima, Japan
Int J Med Sci 7:101-9. 2010To identify the microorganisms that can grow rapidly in total parenteral nutrition (TPN) solutions, we investigated the growth of the major causes of catheter-related blood stream infection (Staphylococcus aureus, Serratia marcescens, ..
- Alteration in epithelial permeability and ion transport in a mouse model of total parenteral nutritionHua Yang
Section of Pediatric Surgery, University of Michigan Hospitals, Mott F3970, Box 0245, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Crit Care Med 31:1118-25. 2003To investigate the effects of total parenteral nutrition administration on intestinal ion transport and intestinal epithelial permeability...
- Selective growth of mucolytic bacteria including Clostridium perfringens in a neonatal piglet model of total parenteral nutritionBart Deplancke
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 61801, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1117-25. 2002Compromised barrier function and intestinal inflammation are common complications of total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- Glutamine prevents total parenteral nutrition-associated changes to intraepithelial lymphocyte phenotype and function: a potential mechanism for the preservation of epithelial barrier functionKeisuke Nose
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School and the C S Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0245, USA
J Interferon Cytokine Res 30:67-80. 2010b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) results in a number of derangements to the intestinal epithelium, including a loss of epithelial barrier function (EBF)...
- Total parenteral nutrition-associated liver diseaseAlan Buchman
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:S43-8. 2002
- Total parenteral nutrition-related gastroenterological complicationsF W Guglielmi
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, University of Bari, Piazza G Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:623-42. 2006b>Total parenteral nutrition is a life saving therapy for patients with chronic gastrointestinal failure, being an effective method for supplying energy and nutrients when oral or enteral feeding is impossible or contraindicated...
- Role of soybean oil fat emulsion in the prevention of hepatic xenobiotic transporter mRNA up- and down-regulation induced by overdose of fat-free total parenteral nutrition in infant ratsMasuhiro Nishimura
Division of Pharmacology, Drug Safety and Metabolism, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, Tokushima, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 20:46-54. 2005b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is associated with cholestasis and hepatic steatosis in human infants...
- Interferon-gamma expression by intraepithelial lymphocytes results in a loss of epithelial barrier function in a mouse model of total parenteral nutritionHua Yang
Section of Pediatric Surgery, The University of Michigan Medical School and C S Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann Surg 236:226-34. 2002To determine the etiology of the loss of epithelial barrier function observed with the administration of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in a mouse model.
- Meta-analysis of enteral nutrition versus total parenteral nutrition in patients with severe acute pancreatitisYunfei Cao
Department of Colorectal and Anal Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, PR China
Ann Nutr Metab 53:268-75. 2008To compare the safety of enteral nutrition and total parenteral nutrition in nutrition support of patients with severe acute pancreatitis.
- Evaluation of standardized versus individualized total parenteral nutrition regime for neonates less than 33 weeks gestationM Y Yeung
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Nepean Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 39:613-7. 2003To evaluate the difference in nutrient intakes and biochemical responses in newborn infants <33 weeks gestation who received standardized versus individualized total parenteral nutrition (TPN) regimes.
- Hyperglycemia during total parenteral nutrition: an important marker of poor outcome and mortality in hospitalized patientsFrancisco J Pasquel
Department ofMedicine, Emory University School ofMedicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diabetes Care 33:739-41. 2010To determine the effect of total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-induced hyperglycemia on hospital outcome.
- Iatrogenic acute hypermagnesemia after total parenteral nutrition infusion mimicking septic shock syndrome: two case reportsAyoob Ali
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Cardinal Glennon Children s Hospital, St Louis University, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Pediatrics 112:e70-2. 2003Two premature newborn infants developed extreme magnesium toxicity while receiving total parenteral nutrition (TPN) infusion...
- Adverse clinical consequences of hyperglycemia from total parenteral nutrition exposure during hematopoietic stem cell transplantationPatricia M Sheean
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:656-64. 2006Immunocompromised hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients frequently receive total parenteral nutrition (TPN), a dextrose-based solution that may exacerbate the infectious risks associated with hyperglycemia...
- Growth of microorganisms in total parenteral nutrition solutions without lipidTakashi Kuwahara
Preclinical Assessment Department, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, 115 Tateiwa, Naruto, Tokushima 772 8601, Japan
Int J Med Sci 7:43-7. 2010To identify the microorganisms that can grow rapidly in total parenteral nutrition (TPN) solutions, we investigated the growth of the major causes of catheter-related blood stream infection (Staphylococcus aureus, Serratia marcescens, ..
- Cholestasis induced by total parenteral nutritionFrancesco William Guglielmi
Section of Gastroenterology and Artificial Nutrition, Hospital San Nicola Pellegrino, 70059 Trani, Bari, Italy
Clin Liver Dis 12:97-110, viii. 2008..The goal is to improve hospital and home management, quality of life, and prognosis of patients requiring parenteral nutrition...
- Similar metabolic responses to standardized total parenteral nutrition of septic and nonseptic critically ill patientsC Zauner
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Vienna, Austria
Am J Clin Nutr 74:265-70. 2001..and nonseptic critically ill patients in the resting state and during the administration of standardized total parenteral nutrition. DESIGN: This was a prospective, clinical cohort study of 25 consecutively admitted critically ill ..
- The incidence of hyperglycemia in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients receiving total parenteral nutrition: a pilot studyPatricia M Sheean
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1352-60. 2004To determine whether total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-induced hyperglycemia is associated with adverse clinical outcomes.
- Use of olive oil based emulsions as an alternative to soybean oil based emulsions in total parenteral nutrition and their effects on liver regeneration following hepatic resection in ratsEngin Ok
Department of General Surgery, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Ann Nutr Metab 47:221-7. 2003..The main objective of this study was to compare the effects of olive oil to those of soybean oil on liver tissue regeneration following hepatic resection in rats...
- Keratinocyte growth factor decreases total parenteral nutrition-induced apoptosis in mouse intestinal epithelium via Bcl-2Barbara E Wildhaber
University of Michigan, Department of Pediatric Surgery, C S Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:92-6; discussion 92-6. 2003b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) induces epithelial cell (EC) apoptosis. Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF) increases EC-growth; however, little is known of its effect on apoptosis...
- Does visual turbidity correlate with serum triglyceride levels in babies on total parenteral nutrition?Kwang Hsien Lim
Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Service, KKH Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 35:790-3. 2006Intravenous lipid is commonly used as part of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in premature babies. The gold standard of measuring lipid tolerance involves measuring serum triglyceride levels...
- Total parenteral nutrition-induced apoptosis in mouse intestinal epithelium: regulation by the Bcl-2 protein familyB E Wildhaber
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School and C S Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 18:570-5. 2002Apoptosis of intestinal epithelial cells (EC) plays a role in total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-induced villus atrophy. Among the mediators of apoptosis in EC are some members of the Bcl-2 family of proteins...
- Total parenteral nutrition-related liver diseaseR J Sokol
Pediatric Liver Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver 80218 1088, USA
Zhonghua Min Guo Xiao Er Ke Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi 38:418-28. 1997..Improved understanding of the fundamental mechanisms producing liver injury and fibrosis during parenteral nutrition will lead to new preventative and treatment measures in the future...
- Enteral nutrition as a primary therapy for intestinal lymphangiectasia: value of elemental diet and polymeric diet compared with total parenteral nutritionKunihiko Aoyagi
Third Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Nanakuma, Fukuoka, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 50:1467-70. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of enteral nutrition compared to that of total parenteral nutrition (TPN). We retrospectively reviewed nine patients with IL presenting with protein-losing enteropathy...
- The effect of total parenteral nutrition on the survival of terminally ill ovarian cancer patientsLaurent Brard
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women and Infants Hospital, Brown University, 101 Dudley Street, Providence, RI 02905, USA
Gynecol Oncol 103:176-80. 2006b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for terminal ovarian cancer patients remains controversial...
- Influence of lung oxidant and antioxidant status on alveolarization: role of light-exposed total parenteral nutritionJean Claude Lavoie
Department of Paediatrics, CHU Sainte Justine, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1C5
Free Radic Biol Med 45:572-7. 2008..and lung oxidant-antioxidant status as modulated by the mode of administration of multivitamins with total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Antitumor effect of methionine-depleting total parenteral nutrition with doxorubicin administration on Yoshida sarcoma-bearing ratsN Goseki
First Department of Surgery, Tokyo Medical and Dental University School of Medicine, Japan
Cancer 69:1865-72. 1992Methionine-depleting total parenteral nutrition (methionine-depleting TPN), which infuses an amino acid solution devoid of L-methionine and L-cysteine as the sole protein source, showed enhancement of the effect of several anti-cancer ..
- Determination of potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium in total parenteral nutrition formulations by capillary electrophoresis with contactless conductivity detectionSusanne Nussbaumer
Hôpitaux Universitaire de Genève Pharmacie, Rue Gabrielle Perret Gentil 4, 1211 Geneve 14, Switzerland
J Pharm Biomed Anal 53:130-6. 2010..Therefore, this method was found to be appropriate for controlling potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium in parenteral nutrition formulations and successfully applied in daily quality control at the Geneva University Hospitals...
- Mitochondria-initiated apoptosis triggered by oxidative injury play a role in total parenteral nutrition-associated liver dysfunction in infant rabbit modelLi Hong
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Shanghai Children s Medical Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092, China
J Pediatr Surg 44:1712-8. 2009The aim of the study was to investigate oxidative injury and apoptosis as the mechanisms underlying total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-associated liver dysfunction.
- Does a multidisciplinary total parenteral nutrition team improve patient outcomes? A systematic reviewCarlie Jane Naylor
Centre for Applied Nursing Research, South Western Sydney Area Health Service, Sydney, Australia
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:251-8. 2004b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is a specialized form of nutrition support. The complexity associated with the management of patients receiving TPN therapy has led to the development of multidisciplinary TPN teams...
- The bone morphogenetic protein signaling pathway is upregulated in a mouse model of total parenteral nutritionChaojun Zhang
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School and C S Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Nutr 139:1315-21. 2009b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) results in intestinal mucosal atrophic changes due to an absence of enteral nutrition; however, the mechanisms responsible for this are not fully understood...
- Physical compatibility of neonatal total parenteral nutrition admixtures containing organic calcium and inorganic phosphate salts in a simulated infusion at 37 degrees CHardeep Singh
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Boston, MA, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 10:213-6. 2009Within an incubator environment at 37 degrees C, we evaluated the physical compatibility of calcium (Ca) and phosphate (P) in simulated neonatal total parenteral nutrition (TPN) infusions.
- Total parenteral nutrition-induced apoptosis in mouse intestinal epithelium: modulation by keratinocyte growth factorBarbara E Wildhaber
Section of Pediatric Surgery, C S Mott Children s Hospital, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Surg Res 112:144-51. 2003b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) induces epithelial cell (EC) apoptosis. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) increases EC growth; however, little is known of its effect on apoptosis...
- Dissociation of E-cadherin and beta-catenin in a mouse model of total parenteral nutrition: a mechanism for the loss of epithelial cell proliferation and villus atrophyYongjia Feng
Section of Pediatric Surgery, University of Michigan, Mott Children s Hospital F3970, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5245, USA
J Physiol 587:641-54. 2009b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) leads a loss of epithelial barrier function, decline in epithelial cell (EC) proliferation, and decreased expression of E-cadherin...
- Vascular erosion by central venous catheters used for total parenteral nutritionCriona Walshe
Department of Intensive Care, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland
Intensive Care Med 33:534-7. 2007To establish the incidence of central venous catheter erosion in a patient cohort receiving total parenteral nutrition and to examine risk factors and complications of vascular erosion.
- A 6-year review of total parenteral nutrition use and association with late-onset acute respiratory distress syndrome among ventilated trauma victimsDavid Plurad
University of Southern California and Los Angeles County Hospital Division of Trauma Surgical Critical Care, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Injury 40:511-5. 2009To establish whether total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for ventilated trauma victims is associated with late-onset acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) independent of ventilation and transfusion parameters.
- Early developments and clinical applications of total parenteral nutritionStanley J Dudrick
Program in Surgery, St Mary s Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine, Waterbury, Connecticut 06706, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 27:291-9. 2003..clinical application of the knowledge, techniques, and technology to the first successful long-term total parenteral nutrition (TPN) support of critically ill pediatric and adult patients; and admonishes nutritionists of all ..
- Total parenteral nutrition adversely affects gut barrier function in neonatal pigletsKetan Kansagra
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G1162-70. 2003Sepsis is the most common morbidity in preterm infants, who often receive total parenteral nutrition (TPN). We hypothesized that gut barrier function is compromised in TPN-fed compared with enterally fed newborn piglets (ENT pigs)...
- Does the addition of glutamine to total parenteral nutrition have beneficial effect on the healing of colon anastomosis and bacterial translocation after preoperative radiotherapy?Mohamed El-Malt
Department of Abdominal Surgery, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent University, Belgium
Am J Clin Oncol 26:e54-9. 2003..anastomotic healing after radiotherapy (RT)-induced epithelial damage and mucosal atrophy induced by total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Total parenteral nutrition decreases liver oxidative metabolism and antioxidant defenses in healthy rats: comparative effect of dietary olive and soybean oilA Lespine
Laboratoire de Biochimie Generale et Nutritionnelle, CHU Purpan, Toulouse
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 25:52-9. 2001b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is used for critically ill patients undergoing surgery, after trauma, or during disease conditions that favor oxidative stress...
- Effect of short-term octreotide therapy and total parenteral nutrition on the development of biliary sludge and lithiasisSalvador Baudet
Digestive Disease Research Unit, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 49:609-12. 2002Both total parenteral nutrition and long-term octreotide treatment (> 2 months) may induce biliary sludge and lithiasis. However, the lithogenic capacity of the combination of the two treatments in the short-term is unknown...
- Effects of lipid administration on liver apoptotic signals in a mouse model of total parenteral nutrition (TPN)Yuko Tazuke
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School, F3970 Mott Children s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0245, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 20:224-8. 2004Lipids are an important component of total parenteral nutrition (TPN), contributing the largest caloric load per volume of solution and providing essential fatty acids necessary for survival...
- Elemental and intravenous total parenteral nutrition diet-induced gut barrier failure is intestinal site specific and can be prevented by feeding nonfermentable fiberAnne C Mosenthal
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA
Crit Care Med 30:396-402. 2002..The purpose of this study is to investigate, in an Ussing chamber system, whether elemental vs. parenteral diets induce gut barrier failure in specific anatomical sites in the intestine and whether fiber can ameliorate this phenomenon...
- [Assessment of activity of care of a nutritional support multidisciplinary team in the follow-up of total parenteral nutrition]M A Martinez Olmos
S Endocrinología y Nutrición, Hospital do Meixoeiro, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Vigo, Espana
Nutr Hosp 21:57-63. 2006In total parenteral nutrition (TPN) nutritional support multidisciplinary teams (NSMT) must provide a high quality nutritional assistance based on evidence and daily follow-up of patients with TPN.
- Effects of arginine-containing total parenteral nutrition on N balance and phagocytic activity in rats undergoing a partial gastrectomyChiu Li Yeh
Institute of Nutrition and Health Sciences, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Br J Nutr 93:267-72. 2005..Rats were divided into two experimental groups and received total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Impairment of mucosal immunity by total parenteral nutrition: requirement for IgA in murine nasotracheal anti-influenza immunityK B Renegar
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Immunol 166:819-25. 2001..In this paper we show that feeding chemically defined total parenteral nutrition (TPN) to genetically normal, immune ICR mice by the i.v...
- Preventing provider errors: online total parenteral nutrition calculatorChristoph U Lehmann
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 3200, USA
Pediatrics 113:748-53. 2004To describe the development of a pragmatic low-cost medical information system that reduces errors in the ordering of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in the newborn intensive care unit at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Total parenteral nutrition using continuous intravenous infusion via the posterior vena cava in ratsKentaro Asanuma
Safety Assessment Department, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 1 135 Komakado, Gotemba shi, Shizuoka 412 8513, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 31:139-47. 2006This study was conducted to evaluate the feasibility of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in rats using continuous intravenous infusion (tail cuff method) via the posterior vena cava...
- Lethality of standard total parenteral nutrition following major liver resection in rats is prevented by high arginine and high branched chain amino acids but not by glutamineJ G Qiu
Department of Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York, USA
J Assoc Acad Minor Phys 12:109-18. 2001Standard total parenteral nutrition (TPN), with or without fat, in amounts approximating the ad libitum intake of normal rats is highly lethal for rats following 70% hepatectomy...
- Glucose-lipid ratio is a determinant of nitrogen balance during total parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients: a prospective, randomized, multicenter blind trial with an intention-to-treat analysisP Bouletreau
Department of Anesthesiology and Nutrition, CHU, Hopital E Herriot, 69473, Lyon Cedex 03, France
Intensive Care Med 31:1394-400. 2005..This study in critically ill patients compared the efficacy and tolerance of two isocaloric isonitrogenous total parenteral nutritions (TPN) having different glucose/lipid ratios...
- Diagnosis of catheter-related bloodstream infection in a total parenteral nutrition population: inclusion of sepsis defervescence after removal of culture-positive central venous catheterC M Walshe
Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Hosp Infect 76:119-23. 2010..We examined the effect of inclusion of defervescence criteria on CRBSI incidence in a total parenteral nutrition (TPN) population...
- Enteral nutrition rapidly reverses total parenteral nutrition-induced impairment of hepatic immunity in a murine modelJiro Omata
Department of Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Japan
Clin Nutr 28:668-73. 2009b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) impairs host immunocompetence, a mechanism possibly underlying the high morbidity of infectious complications in critically ill patients...
- Small bowel obstruction in early pregnancy treated by jejunotomy and total parenteral nutritionS Watanabe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Omiya Chuo Sogo Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Obstet Gynecol 96:812-3. 2000..Small bowel obstruction in early pregnancy increases maternal and fetal morbidity and mortality and might be diagnosed mistakenly as hyperemesis gravidrum. Prompt diagnosis and therapy is essential...
- Risk of colonization of central venous catheters: catheters for total parenteral nutrition vs other cathetersJustin B Dimick
School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Crit Care 12:328-35. 2003..Infected central venous catheters cause morbidity and mortality...
- Influence of fatty acid profile of total parenteral nutrition emulsions on the fatty acid composition of different tissues of pigletsE Amusquivar
Facultades de Farmacia y Medicina, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Universidad San Pablo CEU, Crtra Boadilla del Monte km 5 300, 28668, Boadilla del Monte Madrid, Spain
Lipids 43:713-22. 2008b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) studies in human babies of very-low-birth-weight suggest that the lipid emulsions currently available are not optimum for neonatal nutrition...
- Enterobacter cloacae sepsis outbreak in a newborn unit caused by contaminated total parenteral nutrition solutionA T Tresoldi
Nosocomial Infection Control Committee, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Am J Infect Control 28:258-61. 2000..CONCLUSION: The source of the nosocomial sepsis was the parenteral nutrition solution in 10 neonates. This contamination apparently occurred during preparation of the parenteral solution...
- Total parenteral nutrition is a major risk factor for central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection in colorectal cancer patients receiving postoperative chemotherapyM Ishizuka
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Dokkyo Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
Eur Surg Res 41:341-5. 2008..To clarify the risk factors for central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection (CVCR-BSI) in patients receiving chemotherapy after surgery for colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- Percutaneously inserted central catheter for total parenteral nutrition in neonates: complications rates related to upper versus lower extremity insertionViet Hoang
Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, School of Medicine, Irvine, California, USA
Pediatrics 121:e1152-9. 2008The objective of this study was to compare the complication rates of upper versus lower extremity percutaneously inserted central catheters used for total parenteral nutrition in neonates.
- Randomized, controlled study of branched chain amino acid-enriched total parenteral nutrition in malnourished patients with gastrointestinal cancer undergoing surgeryLi Chu Sun
Nutrition Support Team, Department of Nursing, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Am Surg 74:237-42. 2008..of this study was to investigate the potential benefit of branched chain amino acid (BCAA)-enriched total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for malnourished surgical patients with gastrointestinal cancer...
- Glutamine-enriched total parenteral nutrition in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseJ Ockenga
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Medical School of Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1302-9. 2005Studies in animal models of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) suggest that supplementation of total parenteral nutrition with glutamine (gln), a conditionally essential amino acid in catabolic conditions, increases gln plasma ..
- Hyperglycemia correlates with outcomes in patients receiving total parenteral nutritionLiang Yu Lin
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Med Sci 333:261-5. 2007..This study was made to determine the associations between hyperglycemia and adverse outcomes in patients receiving total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- Total parenteral nutrition entrains the central and peripheral circadian clocksHirofumi Miki
Department of Surgery and Clinical Oncology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Neuroreport 14:1457-61. 2003The administration schedule of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) ignores the human physiological food-intake rhythm. This study examined the effects of TPN on the central and peripheral circadian clocks...
- Effect of age on substrate oxidation during total parenteral nutritionRima Al-Jaouni
Department of Gastroenterology, Unit of Nutrition, Archet Hospital, Nice, France
Nutrition 18:20-5. 2002..Aging is accompanied by metabolic changes that can modify substrate use. We compared substrate oxidation during cyclic total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in elderly and middle-aged patients.
- Chylous ascites: treated with total parenteral nutrition and somatostatinQi Huang
Institute of General Surgery, Jinling Hospital, 305 Zhongshan East Road, Nanjing 210002, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:2588-91. 2004To determine the effects of total parenteral nutrition and somatostatin on patients with chylous ascites.
- Liver function and plasma antioxidant status in intensive care unit patients requiring total parenteral nutrition: comparison of 2 fat emulsionsH Antebi
Unité de Formation et de Recherches Medicale Paris Ile de France Ouest, University Rene Descartes, France
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:142-8. 2004..Efficacy and safety of an alpha-tocopherol-enriched emulsion incorporating soybean, coconut, olive, and fish oils (SMOF) are compared in terms of biologic parameters to those of soybean oil-based emulsion (LIPOVEN)...
- Total parenteral nutrition attenuates cerulein-induced pancreatitis in ratsMatthew C Koopmann
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Pancreas 39:377-84. 2010Our aim was to determine if total parenteral nutrition (TPN)-induced pancreatic atrophy and Hsp70 expression attenuates cerulein-induced pancreatitis in rats.
- Total parenteral nutrition and tumor growth in malnourished patients with gastric cancerF Bozzetti
Divisione di Chirurgia dell'Apparato Digerente A, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Tumori 85:163-6. 1999AIMS AND BACKGROUND: Evidence that total parenteral nutrition (TPN) can stimulate tumor growth in humans is scanty and contradictory...
- Total parenteral nutrition in bone marrow transplant: what is the appropriate energy level?M L Forchielli
Department of Pediatrics, Medical School, Bologna, Italy
Oncology 64:7-13. 2003b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN), recommended during bone-marrow transplant (BMT), is often withheld following complications. We aim to determine the effective amount of energy supplied and its short-term effects in children requiring BMT.
- Death by parenteral nutritionPaul E Marik
Intensive Care Med 29:867-9. 2003
- Use of total parenteral nutrition in the refeeding of selected patients with severe anorexia nervosaPhilip S Mehler
Department of Internal Medicine, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Int J Eat Disord 40:285-7. 2007..In these case reports, we describe two patients beset with gastrointestinal comorbidities which impaired their ability to refeed with a staged oral feeding program. The use of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) facilitated their recovery.
- Cecal ligation and puncture with total parenteral nutrition: a clinically relevant model of the metabolic, hormonal, and inflammatory dysfunction associated with critical illnessJosef G Heuer
Biotechnology Discovery Research, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Surg Res 121:178-86. 2004..Accordingly, we sought to develop a model of rat CLP with prolonged hyperglycemia through continuous infusion of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) post CLP.
- A nutrition support team led by general surgeons decreases inappropriate use of total parenteral nutrition on a surgical serviceA R Saalwachter
University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Am Surg 70:1107-11. 2004The purpose of this study was to decrease the number of inappropriate orders for total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in surgical patients...
- What happened to total parenteral nutrition? The disappearance of its use in a trauma intensive care unitPeter Rhee
Trauma Division, University of Arizona, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
J Trauma 63:1215-22. 2007b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is associated with known costs, including the use of invasive procedures, which may be necessary to optimize care...
- Effects of different lipid sources in total parenteral nutrition on whole body protein kinetics and tumor growthB Mendez
Nutrition Infection Laboratory, New England Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 16:545-51. 1992This study examined the short-term effects of three total parenteral nutrition solutions, each containing a different lipid source, on host and tumor protein metabolism in a rat cancer model...
- Ergonomic and economic aspects of total parenteral nutritionLaurence Genton
Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 9:149-54. 2006Ergonomics in total parenteral nutrition include the work performed in the (hospital) pharmacy and on the medical ward. This article reviews the developments in total parenteral nutrition ergonomics and the related cost-savings.
- External lymphatic fistula after intra-abdominal lymphadenectomy for cancer. Treatment with total parenteral nutrition and somatostatinIvo Giovannini
Department of Surgery, Hepatobiliary Unit, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Nutrition 24:1220-3. 2008..In the absence of definite guidelines the choice of treatment is often empirical, with unpredictable effectiveness, and the reporting of new cases may broaden the available experience...
- Liver dysfunction associated with artificial nutrition in critically ill patientsTeodoro Grau
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Severo Ochoa, Madrid, Spain
Crit Care 11:R10. 2007..Liver dysfunction associated with artificial nutrition in critically ill patients is a complication that seems to be frequent, but it has not been assessed previously in a large cohort of critically ill patients...
- Total parenteral nutrition enriched with arginine and glutamate generates glutamine and limits protein catabolism in surgical patients hospitalized in intensive care unitsM P Berard
Laboratoire de Biochimie A, Hotel Dieu, AP HP, Universite Paris V, France
Crit Care Med 28:3637-44. 2000..To study the effect of a parenteral nutrition solution enriched with potential precursors of glutamine, i.e., arginine and glutamate, on plasma glutamine concentrations and protein metabolism...
- L-alanyl-L-glutamine dipeptide-supplemented total parenteral nutrition reduces infectious complications and glucose intolerance in critically ill patients: the French controlled, randomized, double-blind, multicenter studyPierre Dechelotte
Nutrition Unit, Rouen University Hospital PD, Rouen, France
Crit Care Med 34:598-604. 2006Glutamine (Gln)-supplemented total parenteral nutrition (TPN) improves clinical outcome after planned surgery, but the benefits of Gln-TPN for critically ill (intensive care unit; ICU) patients are still debated.
- Hyperglycemia is associated with adverse outcomes in patients receiving total parenteral nutritionN Wah Cheung
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Diabetes Care 28:2367-71. 2005..However, there are few data regarding the effect of hyperglycemia on outcomes in patients receiving total parenteral nutrition (TPN), a therapy that predisposes patients to hyperglycemia...
- A randomized controlled trial on parenteral nutrition, oxidative stress, and chronic lung diseases in preterm infantsMohamed R Bassiouny
Neonatal Care Unit, Mansoura University Children s Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48:363-9. 2009To evaluate the effect of trace elements (TEs), when added to total parenteral nutrition (TPN) solutions, on peroxides load, and to test the hypothesis that protection of TPN from light can decrease peroxides load and is associated with ..
- Nutritional factors contributing to the development of cholestasis during total parenteral nutritionMaria Luisa Forchielli
Department of Pediatrics, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Adv Pediatr 50:245-67. 2003..particularly during infancy in children with short bowel syndrome who require long-term use of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for survival...
- Association of hyperglycemia and markers of hepatic dysfunction with dextrose infusion rates in Korean patients receiving total parenteral nutritionHyunah Kim
Sookmyung Women s University, Seoul
Am J Health Syst Pharm 60:1760-6. 2003..and markers of hepatic dysfunction with dextrose infusion rates in Korean patients receiving total parenteral nutrition (TPN) was studied...
- Glucose-based total parenteral nutrition does not stimulate glucose uptake by humans tumoursFederico Bozzetti
Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Via Venezian 1, Milan 20133, Italy
Clin Nutr 23:417-21. 2004Since glucose represents the preferred fuel for cancer cells, there is some debate about the potential stimulation of tumour metabolism induced by a glucose-based total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in cancer patients.
- Blood glucose control in healthy subject and patients receiving intravenous glucose infusion or total parenteral nutrition using glucagon-like peptide 1Michael A Nauck
Medizinische Klinik 1, St Josef Hospital, Klinikum der Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Gudrunstr 56, D 44791 Bochum, Germany
Regul Pept 118:89-97. 2004..examine whether the insulinotropic gut hormone GLP-1 is able to control or even normalise glycaemia in healthy subjects receiving intravenous glucose infusions and in severely ill patients hyperglycaemic during total parenteral nutrition.
- Estimate of specific energy expenditure of fat-free mass and fat mass in children receiving total parenteral nutritionAdib A Moukarzel
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital of The Saint Joseph University, Hotel Dieu de France, Beirut, Lebanon
J Med Liban 51:206-10. 2003..The aims of this study were to (1) estimate the specific energy expenditure (SEE) of fat mass (FM) and fat-free mass (FFM) and (2) determine a sensitive predictive indicator of resting energy expenditure (REE)...
- Hyperemesis gravidarum: outcomes and complications with and without total parenteral nutritionJohn J Folk
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse 13210, USA
J Reprod Med 49:497-502. 2004To evaluate the obstetric and medical complications with hyperemesis gravidarum, comparing those who were supported with total parenteral nutrition (TPN group) and those who did not receive TPN (non-TPN group).
- Glutamine-supplemented total parenteral nutrition attenuates plasma interleukin-6 in surgical patients with lower disease severityMing Tsan Lin
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, 7 Chung Shan S Road, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:6197-201. 2005..This study evaluated whether the effect of Gln dipeptide-enriched total parenteral nutrition (TPN) on postoperative cytokine alteration depended on the disease severity of surgical patients.
- Death by total parenteral nutrition: part deauxPaul E Marik
Crit Care Med 34:3062; author reply 3062-3. 2006
- Effect of coadministration of parenteral multivitamins with lipid emulsion on lung remodeling in an animal model of total parenteral nutritionJean Claude Lavoie
Research Centre and Neonatal Service, Hopital Sainte Justine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 40:53-6. 2005..and vitamin loss, and induces initiation of fibrosis and a reduced alveolar count in an animal model of total parenteral nutrition (TPN). Adding MVP to the lipid moiety of TPN prevents lipid peroxidation and vitamin loss...
- Stability and compatibility assessment techniques for total parenteral nutrition admixtures: setting the bar according to pharmacopeial standardsDavid F Driscoll
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Nutrition, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center BIDMC, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:297-303. 2005The stability and compatibility of total parenteral nutrition mixtures compounded for patients requiring nutritional support is paramount to their safety on intravenous infusion...
- Decline in intestinal mucosal IL-10 expression and decreased intestinal barrier function in a mouse model of total parenteral nutritionXiaoyi Sun
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0245, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G139-47. 2008Loss of intestinal epithelial barrier function (EBF) is a major problem associated with total parenteral nutrition (TPN) administration...
- Milky-white pleural effusion complicating peripherically inserted central venous catheter for total parenteral nutritionM Diaz
Internal Medicine, Hospital Obispo Polanco Av Ruiz Jarabo s n, Teruel, Spain
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:302-3. 2005Pleural effusion secondary to vascular perforation and leakage of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is a rare complication of central lines...
- Glucose in parenteral nutrition: a survey of U.S. medical centersPaul R Schloerb
Department of Surgery, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:447-52. 2004A previous report suggested that glucose administration in total parenteral nutrition (TPN) should not exceed 4 mg/kg/min with a respiratory quotient (RQ) >1.0...
- The effect of glutamine-supplemented total parenteral nutrition on nutrition and intestinal absorptive function in a rat modelYousheng Li
Department of Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, 305 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing, 210002, China
Pediatr Surg Int 22:508-13. 2006..aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of short-term (7 days) glycyl-glutamine-supplemented total parenteral nutrition (TPN) on nutrition and intestinal absorptive function in a rat model...
- In preterm neonates, is the risk of developing bronchopulmonary dysplasia influenced by the failure to protect total parenteral nutrition from exposure to ambient light?Philippe Chessex
Division of Neonatology, Children s and Women s Health Centre of British Columbia, and University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Pediatr 151:213-4. 2007Light-exposed total parenteral nutrition (TPN) generates peroxides that contribute to an oxidant load. Shielding TPN from light protects against lung remodelling...
- Effect of glutamine-enriched total parenteral nutrition in patients with acute pancreatitisJohann Ockenga
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Clin Nutr 21:409-16. 2002The management of acute pancreatitis (AP) frequently includes parenteral nutrition, but conditionally essential amino acids such as glutamine are not included in conventional total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- Intravenous glucose intake independently related to intensive care unit and hospital mortality: an argument for glucose toxicity in critically ill patientsPeter H J der Voort
Department of Intensive Care, Medical Centre Leeuwarden, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:141-5. 2006..It is assumed that the toxic effects of glucose play a role in the outcome of critically ill patients. We studied the impact of the amount of infused glucose as a determinant of mortality...
- S-adenosylmethionine in treatment of cholestasis after total parenteral nutrition: laboratory investigation and clinical applicationNing Li
Institute of General Surgery, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing PLA Command, Nanjing 210002, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 1:96-100. 2002To observe the effects of S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) in the treatment of cholestasis after total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- AMINO ACID TRANSPORT AFTER SMALL BOWEL RESECTIONHARRY SAX; Fiscal Year: 2004..capacity to adapt to its reduced surface area, this process is often inadequate and may require lifetime total parenteral nutrition, a modality with serious metabolic and economic consequences...
- Regulation of Hepatic Metabolic Function by Parenteral NutritionDouglas G Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infants given total parenteral nutrition (TPN) have increased risk for metabolic liver diseases...
- Parenteral Methionine Requirements in Septic ChildrenLeticia Castillo; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Total Parenteral nutrition (TPN) is life-saving for children unable to tolerate enteral feedings...
- Gut bile acids, Fxr, &Fgf15 in total parenteral nutrition-associated cholestasisGrace L Guo; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is widely used to supply nutrients to patients who cannot tolerate enteral feeding, including premature infants, patients with small-bowel surgery, or patients with ..
- A Topical Host Defense Peptide Mimetic for Oral MucositisRichard W Scott; Fiscal Year: 2012..functioning and quality of life and may necessitate opioid analgesia, a liquid diet, I hydration and/or total parenteral nutrition and interruption of cancer therapy. Standard management options for mucositis are essentially palliative...
- ALIMENTARY TRACT LIPIDS IN HEALTH AND DISEASEMARTIN CONRAD CAREY; Fiscal Year: 2013..v) The fifth aim will explore cholestasis and pigment "sludge" and gallstone formation associated with total parenteral nutrition, focusing on the lack of CCK and secretin from enteral starvation...
- TPN INDUCED CHANGES IN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESDaniel H Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Surgical patients who cannot tolerate enteral feedings are critically dependent on total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Schlafen mediation of intestinal adaptationMarc D Basson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Mucosal atrophy often leads to barrier failure and sepsis in starving or fasting patients in spite of total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Mechanisms of Intestinal Stem Cell Expansion Following ResectionMichael A Helmrath; Fiscal Year: 2013..many patients are unable to tolerate enteral nutrition (EN) after massive intestinal loss, and require total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- PICC VERSUS SUBCLAVIAN LINES IN TPN DELIVERYJoel Weinstock; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) provides life-sustaining therapy for patients who are unresponsive to conventional dietary therapy,..
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2004..therapies for gastroparesis including, prokinetic medications, tube feeding via jejunostomy and total parenteral nutrition (TPN), have various limitations...
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2000..2) Nutritional support - using total parenteral nutrition or tube feeding via jejunostomy...
- Short-Chain Fatty Acid Enhanced Intestinal AdaptationKELLY TAPPENDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..These infants typically receive their nutritional requirements intravenously through a therapy known as total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- NEONATAL PARENTERAL NUTRITION AND HEPATIC DYSFUNCTIONJatinder Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 1990Hepatic abnormalities occur frequently during the administration of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in both infants and adults...
- VITAMIN B2 AND B6 IN VERY LOW BIRTH WEIGHT INFANTSLARRY SWIFT; Fiscal Year: 1992..improved survival can be attributed to improvements in nutritional management and the judicious use of total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- NUTRITION SUPPORT EFFECT ON SEVERE ACUTE PANCREATITISStephen Martin; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) has been shown to be safe and to reduce morbidity and mortality in two separate uncontrolled ..
- Parenteral Medium Chain Triglycerides in the PrematureEberhard Schmidt Sommerfeld; Fiscal Year: 2002Very low birth weight infants who require total parenteral nutrition (TPN) due to enteral feeding intolerance have a limited capacity to utilize energy in the form of glucose and long-chain triglycerides (LCT)...
- Thrombin and CNS: Gastric Dysfunction after Head TraumaGerlinda Hermann; Fiscal Year: 2006..high degree of gastric feeding intolerance demonstrated by these patients, thus, they require aggressive total parenteral nutrition and occasionally invasive Gl surgical intervention for the maintenance of a positive energy and nitrogen ..
- REGULATION OF THE RENAL SALT AND WATER TRANSPORTERSCarolyn Ecelbarger; Fiscal Year: 2001..signaling cascade and determine how they relate to aquaporin-2 abundance; (3) to assess the effects of total parenteral nutrition on renal function, measures of renal hemodynamics, and expression and regulation of salt and water ..
- Conference on Lipids in Immune FunctionRobert Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..and other nutritional factors on allograft rejection; 1) the potential positive effect of n-3 PUFA in total parenteral nutrition of gastrointestinally disabled patients...
- MECHANISM(S) OF TOXICITY OF THE CHLORINATED P-DIOXINSRobert Neal; Fiscal Year: 1980..nude mouse; investigation of the increased liver pathology in TCDD treated rats and guinea pigs fed by total parenteral nutrition (TPN) as compared to oral ad libitum feeding; examine cholesterol and carbohydrate metabolism in TPN fed ..
- STERILE DOCKING DEVICE FOR CENTRAL VENOUS CATHETER HUBSKENNETH CARR; Fiscal Year: 2000..device is designed to sterilize tunneled central venous catheter hubs used for patients receiving total parenteral nutrition. Such a device is needed to decrease infectious complications associated with the use of these catheters ..
- INFLUENCE OF ACUTE ILLNESS AND INJURY ON ENERGY EXCHANGEJohn Kinney; Fiscal Year: 1980..Studies are planned to determine whether increasing levels of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) can return these values to normal in acute surgical patients...
- Low Cost Co-Doped Scintillator for Medical CTMICHAEL SQUILLANTE; Fiscal Year: 2009..play critical roles in the administration of chemotherapy, antibiotics, blood, blood products and total parenteral nutrition essential for the successful treatment of many chronic afflictions...
- LONG-TERM PERCUTANEOUS ACCESS DEVICE FOR HOME THERAPIESPaul Freed; Fiscal Year: 1999..appropriate for use in chronic home treatment modalities that require long- term body access, such as total parenteral nutrition, drug delivery, ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, and heart assist devices...
- LONG-TERM PERCUTANEOUS ACCESS DEVICE FOR HOME THERAPIESLUDMILA BERNSTAM; Fiscal Year: 2005..that require long-term body access, such as heart assist devices for treatment of chronic heart failure, total parenteral nutrition, drug delivery, and ambulatory peritoneal dialysis...
- CELL CYCLE REGULATION IN INTESTINAL REGENERATIONEdward Whang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Chronic total parenteral nutrition and intestinal transplantation are currently the only available options for these patients; new ..
- PARENTERAL NUTRITION: EFFECTS ON INTESTINAL DEVELOPMENTDavid Dudgeon; Fiscal Year: 1990The effects of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) on the rapidly growing and developing gastrointestinal tract are unknown. This project will evaluate these neonatal acute and chronic TPN intestinal effects...
- LIPOGENESIS IN TPN-INDUCED HEPATIC STEATOSISMichael Narkewicz; Fiscal Year: 1991b>Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) induced hepatic steatosis is a common complication in man. Although unproven, it may be the first hepatic lesion in the progression to TPN-induced liver disease...
- TPN INDUCED CHANGES IN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESDaniel Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from investigator's abstract) Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is frequently used for surgical patients who cannot tolerate enteral feedings...
- MINIMAL ENTERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS IN NEONATESDouglas Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Glucose & Lipid Metabolism in Obese AdolescentsAgneta Sunehag; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information is likely to lead to identifying factors and potentially new strategies to prevent and/or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in adolescents. ..
- Regulation of Glucose Metabolism in Extremely Low Birth Weight (ELBW) InfantsAGNETA LISBETH SUNEHAG; Fiscal Year: 2010..A clear understanding of the mechanisms that control glucose homeostasis in the extremely low birth weight infant will permit us to develop evidence based strategies to maintain euglycemia while providing appropriate energy intake. ..
- Enterogenesis with the Use of an Implanted Mechanotransduction DeviceDaniel Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..Knowledge gained from this project could greatly improve the care of patients who suffer from short bowel syndrome. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Maximal Substrate Utilization Rates In Preterm NeonatesPatti Thureen; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Maximizing Protein Growth in the Early Neonatal PeriodPatti Thureen; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Permeability Changes in Small Bowel Allograft RejectionJonathan Fryer; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- CONVENTIONAL VS HIGH PROTEIN INTAKE RATE TO ELBW NEONATEPatti Thureen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Baylor Mentored Diabetes Investigator AwardMorey Haymond; Fiscal Year: 2005..The funding of this program is crucial to our success in training academic physicians with independent peer reviewed research funding. ..
- SURGERY FOR NEC IN HUMAN INFANTS-- A RANDOMIZED TRIALR Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..We believe that we have the necessary personnel and resources in place to complete the first randomized controlled trial for neonatal surgery in the United States. ..
- Parenteral Nutrition: Intestinal Metabolism/AdaptationDenise Ney; Fiscal Year: 2009..New therapies would reduce health care costs and improve well-being for approximately 30,000 Americans with SBS. ..
- Enteral vs. IV Feeding: Effect on Mucosal ImmunityKenneth A Kudsk; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- COMBINATORIAL PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR COCAINE DEPENDENCEJohn Cashman; Fiscal Year: 2001..The study will provide an understanding of the structural and pharmaceutical properties of hDAT antagonists. The work will lead to new insight into the preparation of human medications necessary in the cessation of cocaine abuse. ..
- Influenza-pneumococcal synergism: role of neuraminidaseJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Immature Myeloid Cells and T Cell Suppression in TraumaJuan Ochoa; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- RURAL DWELLING OLDER ADULTS: CPAP ADHERENCE SUPPORTCarol Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Adaptation in Human Short Bowel SyndromeThomas Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- CLINICAL SCIENTIST TRAINING PROGRAMMorey Haymond; Fiscal Year: 2004..The awarding of this grant will dramatically accelerate our implementation of this program. ..
- Hepatic Adaptations to Increased Glucose AvailabilityOwen McGuinness; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will combine novel tracer methodology with a chronically catheterized conscious mouse model to quantify the adaptive response of the liver and then test this adaptive response in mouse models of insulin resistance. ..
- Immunologic Mechanism/Destruction/Biliary ArtesiaCara Mack; Fiscal Year: 2006..Cytokine profiles will be characterized by cytokine mRNA expression. ..
- Increasing Screening Colonoscopy Among Minority WomenMoshe Shike; Fiscal Year: 2004..Demonstration of the feasibility of this model can form the basis for a nationwide project using mammography centers to enhance CRCS. ..
- Hospital and Community Acquired Acute Renal FailureGlenn Chertow; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will efficiently inform the Nephrology community by providing a foundation of fundamental information (ARF definitions, incidence, consequences and costs) upon which a clinical trials network can be built. ..
- Glutamine's role in cardioprotection from cardiac bypassPaul Wischmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will be collected on cardiac function (cardiac output), occurrence of arrhythmias, need for vasopressor therapy, length of post-operative ventilation, ICU stay; and survival trends. ..
- Elucidating the properties of low-molecular-weight chromuim-binding substanceJohn Vincent; Fiscal Year: 2007..The approach will employ two advancing methodologies in mass spectrometry: electrospray ionization Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance (ESI/FT-ICR) and matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight (MALDI/TOF). ..
- HIGH-RISK NEUROBLASTOMA: A DEVASTATING CHILDHOOD CANCERLaurent Brard; Fiscal Year: 2008..B3CD could potentially be used alone or in combination with standard chemotherapy to treat this devastating illness. ..
- Excellence in Clinical Research in Children's SurgeryR Moss; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Dietary Control of PKU with Glycomacropeptide from WheyDenise Ney; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will help plan an outpatient clinical trial to determine if ingestion of a low-phe GMP diet will improve dietary adherence and metabolic control. ..
- OXIDANT HEPATIC INJURY IN CHOLESTASISRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2005....