Genomes and Genes
Summary: Nutritional support given via the alimentary canal or any route connected to the gastrointestinal system (i.e., the enteral route). This includes oral feeding, sip feeding, and tube feeding using nasogastric, gastrostomy, and jejunostomy tubes.
Publications354 found, 100 shown here
- Early versus late parenteral nutrition in critically ill adultsMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals of the Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
N Engl J Med 365:506-17. 2011Controversy exists about the timing of the initiation of parenteral nutrition in critically ill adults in whom caloric targets cannot be met by enteral nutrition alone.
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: Intensive careK G Kreymann
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:210-23. 2006b>Enteral nutrition (EN) via tube feeding is, today, the preferred way of feeding the critically ill patient and an important means of counteracting for the catabolic state induced by severe diseases...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition: intensive carePierre Singer
General Intensive Care Department and Institute for Nutrition Research, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Tikva, Israel
Clin Nutr 28:387-400. 2009..the indications for PN, its implementation, the energy required, its possible complementary use with enteral nutrition, but also the relative importance of the macro- and micronutrients in the formula proposed for the ..
- Intestinal alkaline phosphatase is a gut mucosal defense factor maintained by enteral nutritionRoss F Goldberg
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:3551-6. 2008..However, the mechanisms responsible for the beneficial effects of enteral nutrition have remained a mystery...
- Loss of enteral nutrition in a mouse model results in intestinal epithelial barrier dysfunctionYongjia Feng
Department of Surgery, Section of Pediatric Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1258:71-7. 2012..Finding protective modalities for the small intestine during TPN administration may have important clinical applications. Supplemental glutamine and glutamate may be examples of such agents...
- Sustained modulation of intestinal bacteria by exclusive enteral nutrition used to treat children with Crohn's diseaseS T Leach
School of Women s and Children s Health, University of New South Wales, NSW, Australia
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:724-33. 2008The use of exclusive enteral nutrition to treat paediatric Crohn's disease (CD) is widely accepted, although the precise mechanism(s) of action remains speculative.
- Parenteral nutrition in adult inpatients with functioning gastrointestinal tracts: assessment of outcomesGary P Zaloga
Methodist Research Institute and Indiana University School of Medicine, 1812 North Capitol Avenue, IN 46202, USA
Lancet 367:1101-11. 2006..and the route of nutrient delivery, absorption, and processing differ substantially between parenteral and enteral nutrition. Over the past two decades, many randomised clinical trials have assessed the effects of parenteral versus ..
- Early enteral nutrition reduces the rate of life-threatening complications after thoracic esophagectomy in patients with esophageal cancerT Fujita
Division of Esophageal Surgery, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Eur Surg Res 48:79-84. 2012Early postoperative enteral nutrition has been suggested to improve the nutritional status of patients after esophageal surgery...
- Optimisation of energy provision with supplemental parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients: a randomised controlled clinical trialClaudia Paula Heidegger
Service of Intensive Care, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 381:385-93. 2013b>Enteral nutrition (EN) is recommended for patients in the intensive-care unit (ICU), but it does not consistently achieve nutritional goals...
- Immunonutrition in gastrointestinal surgeryY Cerantola
Department of Visceral Surgery, University Hospital Vaudois CHUV, Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Surg 98:37-48. 2011..The use of immunonutrition (IN) in such patients is not widespread because the available data are heterogeneous, and some show contradictory results with regard to complications, mortality and length of hospital stay...
- Early enteral nutrition with whey protein or casein in elderly patients with acute ischemic stroke: a double-blind randomized trialJose Eduardo de Aguilar-Nascimento
Department of Surgery, Medical Sciences School, The Federal University of Mato Grosso, Cuiaba, Brazil
Nutrition 27:440-4. 2011....
- ESPEN Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition: surgeryM Braga
Department of Surgery, San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
Clin Nutr 28:378-86. 2009..In those patients who are unable to be fed via the enteral route after surgery, and in whom total or near total parenteral nutrition is required, a full range of vitamins and trace elements should be supplemented on a daily basis...
- Should immunonutrition become routine in critically ill patients? A systematic review of the evidenceD K Heyland
Angada 3, Kingston General Hospital, 76 Stuart St, Kingston, Ontario K7L 2V7, Canada
JAMA 286:944-53. 2001..Several nutrients have been shown to influence immunologic and inflammatory responses in humans. Whether these effects translate into an improvement in clinical outcomes in critically ill patients remains unclear...
- Does enteral nutrition compared to parenteral nutrition result in better outcomes in critically ill adult patients? A systematic review of the literatureLeah Gramlich
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nutrition 20:843-8. 2004..In the average patient in the intensive care unit who has no contraindications to enteral nutrition (EN) or parenteral nutrition (PN), the choice of route for nutritional support may be influenced by several ..
- Effect of enteral nutrition and synbiotics on bacterial infection rates after pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy: a randomized, double-blind trialNada Rayes
Department of General, Visceral and Transplant Surgery, Charite Campus Virchow, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Ann Surg 246:36-41. 2007..Patients undergoing pancreas resection carry several risk factors for nosocomial bacterial infections. Pre- and probiotics (synbiotics) are potentially useful for prevention of these infections...
- Early enteral nutrition in acutely ill patients: a systematic reviewP E Marik
Critical Care Medicine, The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 29:2264-70. 2001OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of early enteral nutrition on the outcome of critically ill and injured patients...
- Early enteral nutrition, provided within 24 h of injury or intensive care unit admission, significantly reduces mortality in critically ill patients: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsGordon S Doig
Northern Clinical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, 2006 NSW, Australia
Intensive Care Med 35:2018-27. 2009To determine whether the provision of early standard enteral nutrition (EN) confers treatment benefits to critically ill patients.
- ESPEN guidelines on artificial enteral nutrition--percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)Chr Löser
Medical Department, Rotes Kreuz Krankenhaus Kassel, 34121 Kassel, Germany
Clin Nutr 24:848-61. 2005
- Lipid-enriched enteral nutrition controls the inflammatory response in murine Gram-negative sepsisTim Lubbers
Department of Surgery, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Crit Care Med 38:1996-2002. 2010..The current study investigates whether nutritional stimulation of the autonomic nervous system effectively attenuates the inflammatory response in murine Gram-negative sepsis...
- Key nutrients and growth factors for the neonatal gastrointestinal tractDouglas G Burrin
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Perinatol 29:65-96. 2002..Although enteral nutrition seems to be a critical stimulus for intestinal function, the minimal amounts and composition of nutrients ..
- Variation in enteral nutrition delivery in mechanically ventilated patientsTodd W Rice
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Nutrition 21:786-92. 2005..We determined the variability in enteral feeding practices in mechanically ventilated patients in four adult intensive care units of a tertiary-care, referral hospital...
- Evaluating predictive factors for determining enteral nutrition in patients receiving radical radiotherapy for head and neck cancer: a retrospective reviewStephen Mangar
Department of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK
Radiother Oncol 78:152-8. 2006..To identify objective pre-treatment clinical parameters that could be used to predict for patients at high risk of requiring enteral tube feeding prior to head and neck radiotherapy...
- Practical approach to paediatric enteral nutrition: a comment by the ESPGHAN committee on nutritionChristian Braegger
University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:110-22. 2010b>Enteral nutrition support (ENS) involves both the delivery of nutrients via feeding tubes and the provision of specialised oral nutritional supplements...
- Lipid-rich enteral nutrition reduces postoperative ileus in rats via activation of cholecystokinin-receptorsTim Lubbers
Department of Surgery, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 249:481-7. 2009..This study investigates the effect of lipid-rich nutrition on the local inflammatory response and gastrointestinal hypomotility in a rat model of postoperative ileus...
- A meta-analysis of the effect of combinations of immune modulating nutrients on outcome in patients undergoing major open gastrointestinal surgeryKanagaraj Marimuthu
Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Ann Surg 255:1060-8. 2012..Immune modulating nutrition (IMN) has been shown to reduce complications after major surgery, but strong evidence to recommend its routine use is still lacking...
- Effects of body positions on gastric emptying with enteral nutrition: a crossover study using a continuous real time 13C breath test (BreathID system)Tamon Ikeda
Gastroenterology Division, Yokohama City University Hospital, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:1905-7. 2008....
- Early enteral supply of lactobacillus and fiber versus selective bowel decontamination: a controlled trial in liver transplant recipientsNada Rayes
Department of Surgery, Charite Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 74:123-7. 2002Early enteral nutrition with solutions containing prebiotics (fiber) and probiotics (Lactobacillus) is suggested to reduce bacterial translocation and minimize the incidence of infections after liver transplantation.
- Perioperative immunonutrition for gastrointestinal cancer: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsYan Zhang
Gansu Provincial Hospital, Donggang West Road No 204, Chengguan District, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China
Surg Oncol 21:e87-95. 2012..To improve the clinical outcome, immunonutrition (IN) was usually used in the patients undergoing elective gastrointestinal caner surgery. However, its effectiveness remains uncertain...
- Jejunal feeding, even when instituted late, improves outcomes in patients with severe pancreatitis and peritonitisG Pupelis
Department of Surgery, Medical Academy of Latvia, theRiga 7th Clinical Hospital
Nutrition 17:91-4. 2001..05). In conclusion, JF is feasible and effective in postoperative treatment of patients due to secondary peritonitis or severe pancreatitis. Improved bowel and peritoneal function could be the main impact of JF...
- Randomized trial of initial trophic versus full-energy enteral nutrition in mechanically ventilated patients with acute respiratory failureTodd W Rice
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Crit Care Med 39:967-74. 2011b>Enteral nutrition is provided to mechanically ventilated patients who cannot eat normally, yet the amount of support needed is unknown. We conducted this randomized, open-label study to test the hypothesis that initial low-volume (i.e...
- Who benefits from nutritional support: what is the evidence?Rebecca J Stratton
Institute of Human Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:353-8. 2007..This article discusses the evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analyses of the effectiveness of nutritional support...
- Early versus delayed feeding with an immune-enhancing diet in patients with severe head injuriesG Minard
Department of Surgery, The University of Tennessee, Memphis, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 24:145-9. 2000..This study examines the effects of early vs delayed enteral feedings on outcome in patients with severe closed-head injuries with a Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score greater than 3 and less than 11...
- High-viscosity liquid meal accelerates gastric emptyingY Shimoyama
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:879-86. 2007..After fasting for >8 h, each subject received a test meal (enteral nutrition solution, enteral solution plus pectin, or water)...
- Quantifying fluid intake in dysphagic stroke patients: a preliminary comparison of oral and nonoral strategiesH M Finestone
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Ottawa, Sisters of Charity Health Sciences Service, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:1744-6. 2001..To determine whether dysphagic stroke patients receiving oral (thickened-fluid dysphagia) diets or nonoral (enteral feedings supplemented with intravenous fluids) diets met their estimated fluid requirements...
- Synbiotics, prebiotics, glutamine, or peptide in early enteral nutrition: a randomized study in trauma patientsAlenka Spindler-Vesel
University Medical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31:119-26. 2007....
- Synbiotic control of inflammation and infection in severe acute pancreatitis: a prospective, randomized, double blind studyAttila Olah
Department of Surgery, Petz Aladar Teaching Hospital, Gyor, Hungary
Hepatogastroenterology 54:590-4. 2007..In a prospective, randomized, double-blinded study the role of "Synbiotic 2000", a new synbiotic composition with high colony forming unit (CFU) was evaluated in the treatment of severe acute pancreatitis...
- Beneficial effects of breast milk in the neonatal intensive care unit on the developmental outcome of extremely low birth weight infants at 18 months of ageBetty R Vohr
Department of Pediatrics, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Pediatrics 118:e115-23. 2006..The benefits of breast milk that is ingested in the NICU by extremely low birth weight infants on development and behavior have not been evaluated previously...
- Pre-operative oral carbohydrate loading in colorectal surgery: a randomized controlled trialS E Noblett
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Freeman Hospital, High Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Colorectal Dis 8:563-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of pre-operative carbohydrate administration on grip strength, gastrointestinal function and hospital stay following elective colorectal surgery...
- Donor human milk versus formula for preventing necrotising enterocolitis in preterm infants: systematic reviewW McGuire
Tayside Institute of Child Health, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 88:F11-4. 2003..To determine if enteral feeding with donor human milk compared with formula milk reduces the incidence of necrotising enterocolitis (NEC) in preterm or low birthweight infants...
- Nutritional approach in malnourished surgical patients: a prospective randomized studyMarco Braga
Department of Surgery, San Raffale University, Milan, Italy
Arch Surg 137:174-80. 2002..Perioperative administration of a supplemented enteral formula may decrease postoperative morbidity...
- Postnatal malnutrition and growth retardation: an inevitable consequence of current recommendations in preterm infants?N E Embleton
Special Care Baby Unit, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 107:270-3. 2001..RDI are based on needs for maintenance and growth, with no provision to replace this deficit. We, therefore, hypothesized that postnatal malnutrition and growth retardation were inevitable in infants fed current RDI...
- Enteral nutrition during the treatment of head and neck carcinoma: is a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube preferable to a nasogastric tube?T M Mekhail
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Cancer 91:1785-90. 2001..Anecdotal observations of prolonged PEG dependence and of a need for pharyngoesophageal dilatation in PEG patients prompted a retrospective review of the use of both types of feeding tubes...
- [Guidelines for specialized nutritional and metabolic support in the critically-ill patient. Update. Consensus of the Spanish Society of Intensive Care Medicine and Coronary Units-Spanish Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (SEMICYUC-SENPE): indicJ F Fernández-Ortega
Hospital Regional Universitario Carlos Haya, Malaga, Espana
Med Intensiva 35:7-11. 2011....
- Enteral nutrition practice in a surgical intensive care unit: what proportion of energy expenditure is delivered enterally?J M Engel
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Management, University Hospital Giessen, Germany
Clin Nutr 22:187-92. 2003..Patient, material, and therapy-related factors should be assessed and related to enteral nutrition. Sixty patients receiving enteral nutrition for a period of at least 10 days were included in the study...
- Randomized clinical trial of omega-3 fatty acid-supplemented enteral nutrition versus standard enteral nutrition in patients undergoing oesophagogastric cancer surgeryJ Sultan
Northern Oesophago Gastric Cancer Unit, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Br J Surg 99:346-55. 2012..This may be modulated by omega-3 fatty acids (O-3FAs). The aim of this study was to assess the effect of perioperative O-3FAs on clinical outcome and immune function after oesophagogastric cancer surgery...
- The effect of nutritional support on the immune function in the acute postoperative period after esophageal cancer surgery: total parenteral nutrition versus enteral nutritionJunichi Seike
Department of Thoracic, Endocrine Surgery and Oncology, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
J Med Invest 58:75-80. 2011b>Enteral nutrition (EN) is now used more frequently than total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for nutritional support after resection for esophageal cancer. But consensus regarding which type of nutrition should be used does not exist...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition: non-surgical oncologyF Bozzetti
Department of Surgery, General Hospital of Prato, Prato, Italy
Clin Nutr 28:445-54. 2009..of increasing or ensuring nutrient intake in patients in whom normal food intake is inadequate and enteral nutrition is not feasible, is contraindicated or is not accepted by the patient...
- Effectiveness of an 'half elemental diet' as maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease: A randomized-controlled trialS Takagi
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:1333-40. 2006..Although thiopurines have a proven role in maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease, an alternative therapy is needed for patients intolerant or resistant to thiopurines...
- Treatment of active Crohn's disease in children using partial enteral nutrition with liquid formula: a randomised controlled trialT Johnson
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
Gut 55:356-61. 2006Total enteral nutrition (TEN) with a liquid formula can suppress gut inflammation and induce remission in active Crohn's disease. The mechanism is obscure...
- Pancreatitis, very early compared with normal start of enteral feeding (PYTHON trial): design and rationale of a randomised controlled multicenter trialOlaf J Bakker
Dept, of OR Evidence Based Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen The Netherlands
Trials 12:73. 2011In predicted severe acute pancreatitis, infections have a negative effect on clinical outcome. A start of enteral nutrition (EN) within 24 hours of onset may reduce the number of infections as compared to the current practice of starting ..
- Enteral nutrition for feeding severely underfed patients with anorexia nervosaMaria Gabriella Gentile
Clinical Nutrition, Eating Disorders Unit, Niguarda Hospital, Milan, Italy
Nutrients 4:1293-303. 2012..is almost always necessary to use oral nutrition support and/or artificial nutrition, besides ordinary food; enteral nutrition should be a preferred route of feeding if there is a functional accessible gastrointestinal tract...
- Effects of early enteral nutrition supplemented with arginine on intestinal mucosal immunity in severely burned miceJun Fan
Department of Burns, The Northern Hospital, 83 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110015, Liaoning, China
Clin Nutr 29:124-30. 2010To investigate the effects of early enteral nutrition (EN) supplemented with Arginine (Arg) on intestinal mucosal immunity in severely burned mice.
- Influence of methionine/valine-depleted enteral nutrition on nucleic acid and protein metabolism in tumor-bearing ratsYin Cheng He
Department of General Surgery, Zhongnan Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:771-4. 2003To investigate the effects of methionine/valine-depleted enteral nutrition (EN) on RNA, DNA and protein metabolism in tumor-bearing (TB) rats.
- Minimal enteral feeding reduces the risk of sepsis in feed-intolerant very low birth weight newbornsGianluca Terrin
Department of Paediatrics, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Paediatr 98:31-5. 2009..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of minimal enteral feeding (MEF) nutritional practice in feed-intolerant very low birth weight (VLBW) infants...
- Impact of preoperative nutritional support on clinical outcome in abdominal surgical patients at nutritional riskBin Jie
Department of General Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Nutrition 28:1022-7. 2012..This multicenter, prospective cohort study evaluated the effect of preoperative nutritional support in abdominal surgical patients at nutritional risk as defined by the Nutritional Risk Screening Tool 2002 (NRS-2002)...
- Improvement in quality of life of children with acute Crohn's disease does not parallel mucosal healing after treatment with exclusive enteral nutritionN A Afzal
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20:167-72. 2004..Crohn's disease is a chronic debilitating disorder affecting a child's physical and emotional well-being. Recent emphasis on 'quality of life' (QOL) has led to re-evaluation of available medical treatments...
- Nutrition therapy in the critical care setting: what is "best achievable" practice? An international multicenter observational studyNaomi E Cahill
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, and Clinical Evaluation Research Unit, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, ON, Canada
Crit Care Med 38:395-401. 2010..To describe current nutrition practices in intensive care units and determine "best achievable" practice relative to evidence-based Critical Care Nutrition Clinical Practice Guidelines...
- Evaluation of delivery of enteral nutrition in critically ill patients receiving mechanical ventilationDebra O'Meara
Department of Nursing, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Crit Care 17:53-61. 2008Published reports consistently describe incomplete delivery of prescribed enteral nutrition. Which specific step in the process delays or interferes with the administration of a full dose of nutrients is unclear.
- A randomized clinical trial with oral Immunonutrition (omega3-enhanced formula vs. arginine-enhanced formula) in ambulatory head and neck cancer patientsD A de Luis
Institute of Endocrinology and Nutrition, Medicine School and Unit of Investigation, Hospital Rio Hortega, Valladolid, Spain
Ann Nutr Metab 49:95-9. 2005....
- Preterm infants fed fortified human milk receive less protein than they needS Arslanoglu
Department of Neonatology, Center for Infant Nutrition, Macedonio Melloni Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Perinatol 29:489-92. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the actual nutrient intakes observed in a previously reported study with assumed nutrient intakes based on the customary assumptions about the composition of human milk...
- Short- and long-term therapeutic efficacy of nutritional therapy and corticosteroids in paediatric Crohn's diseaseR Berni Canani
Department of Paediatrics, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:381-7. 2006Comparative data on the therapeutic efficacy of different enteral nutrition formulas and corticosteroids to obtain clinical remission and to induce mucosal healing influencing long-term disease course in paediatric Crohn's disease are ..
- Early parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients with short-term relative contraindications to early enteral nutrition: a randomized controlled trialGordon S Doig
Northern Clinical School Intensive Care Research Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
JAMA 309:2130-8. 2013Systematic reviews suggest adult patients in intensive care units (ICUs) with relative contraindications to early enteral nutrition (EN) may benefit from parenteral nutrition (PN) provided within 24 hours of ICU admission.
- Randomized clinical trial of specific lactobacillus and fibre supplement to early enteral nutrition in patients with acute pancreatitisA Olah
Department of Surgery, Petz Aladar Teaching Hospital, Gyor, Hungary
Br J Surg 89:1103-7. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine whether lactic acid bacteria such as Lactobacillus plantarum 299 could prevent colonization of the gut by potential pathogens and thus reduce the endotoxaemia associated with acute pancreatitis...
- Permissive underfeeding and intensive insulin therapy in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trialYaseen M Arabi
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, King Abdulaziz Medical City, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Clin Nutr 93:569-77. 2011..Nutritional support has been recognized as an essential part of intensive care unit management. However, the appropriate caloric intake for critically ill patients remains ill defined...
- Early or delayed enteral feeding for preterm growth-restricted infants: a randomized trialAlison Leaf
National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre for Nutrition, Diet, and Lifestyle, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Pediatrics 129:e1260-8. 2012..There is no evidence that this delay is beneficial and it might further compromise nutrition and growth...
- Prospective randomized trial of preoperative enteral immunonutrition followed by elective total gastrectomy for gastric cancerK Fujitani
Department of Surgery, Osaka National Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Br J Surg 99:621-9. 2012..This study assessed the clinical effects of preoperative enteral immunonutrition in well nourished patients with gastric cancer undergoing total gastrectomy...
- Postoperative enteral versus parenteral nutrition in malnourished patients with gastrointestinal cancer: a randomised multicentre trialF Bozzetti
The Italian Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Milan, Italy
Lancet 358:1487-92. 2001..We aimed to test the hypothesis that postoperative enteral nutrition is better (fewer postoperative complications) than parenteral nutrition containing similar energy and ..
- Enteral nutrition with eicosapentaenoic acid, γ-linolenic acid and antioxidants in the early treatment of sepsis: results from a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blinded, controlled study: the INTERSEPT studyAlessandro Pontes-Arruda
Department of Nutrition and Intensive Care, Fernandes Távora Hospital, Avenida Francisco Sá, 5445, Fortaleza, Ceara, 60, 30 002, Brazil
Crit Care 15:R144. 2011b>Enteral nutrition (EN) with eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)/γ-linolenic acid (GLA) is recommended for mechanically ventilated patients with severe lung injury...
- Gut responses to enteral nutrition in preterm infants and animalsPer T Sangild
Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural and Veterinary University, 30 Rolighedsvej, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:1695-711. 2006..The extent to which results obtained in preterm animals (most notably the pig) can be used to reflect similar conditions in preterm infants is discussed...
- The use of prealbumin and C-reactive protein for monitoring nutrition support in adult patients receiving enteral nutrition in an urban medical centerCassie Jo Davis
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 36:197-204. 2012..However, during inflammation, the liver synthesizes acute-phase proteins such as C-reactive protein (CRP) at the expense of PAB...
- Prospective multicentre randomised controlled trial of early enteral nutrition for patients undergoing major upper gastrointestinal surgical resectionRachael Barlow
School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Clin Nutr 30:560-6. 2011The evidence in support of Early Enteral Nutrition (EEN) after upper gastrointestinal surgery is inconclusive. The aim of this study was to determine if EEN improved clinical outcomes and shortened length of hospital stay.
- Impacts of long-term enteral nutrition on clinical and endoscopic disease activities and mucosal cytokines during remission in patients with Crohn's disease: a prospective studyTakayuki Yamamoto
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Yokkaichi Social Insurance Hospital, Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:1493-501. 2007Long-term enteral nutrition may maintain clinical and endoscopic remission in patients with Crohn's disease (CD)...
- Glutamine: metabolism and application in nutrition supportJane Coster
Department of Surgery, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:25-31. 2004..The next few years will witness the performance of larger scale clinical trials and the results of these studies should define a more certain role for glutamine in routine clinical practice...
- [PEG tube placement in German geriatric wards - a retrospective data-base analysis]R Wirth
Klinik für Akutgeriatrie, St Marien Hospital Borken GmbH, Am Boltenhof 7, 46322 Borken, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 40:21-30. 2007..placement of a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) is a safe and widely accepted method of artificial enteral nutrition. In Germany, PEG placement is performed approximately 140,000 times a year, about 65% of them in elderly ..
- Early versus delayed minimal enteral feeding and risk for necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm growth-restricted infants with abnormal antenatal Doppler resultsParaskevi Karagianni
2nd NICU and Neonatology Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G P N Papageorgiou, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Perinatol 27:367-73. 2010..Furthermore, birth weight seems to be an independent risk factor for the development of NEC, irrespectively of the timing of MEF introduction...
- Effects of N-acetylcysteine on ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats fed via total enteral nutritionMartin J J Ronis
Arkansas Children s Nutrition Center University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 39:619-30. 2005..effects of the dietary antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC) on alcoholic liver damage were examined in a total enteral nutrition (TEN) model of ethanol toxicity in which liver pathology occurs in the absence of endotoxemia...
- Selenium is depleted in Crohn's disease on enteral nutritionFumitoshi Kuroki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Higashiku, Fukuoka City, Japan
Dig Dis 21:266-70. 2003..The aim of this study is to clarify the selenium status in Crohn's disease (CD) on enteral nutrition.
- Early enteral nutrition in burns: compliance with guidelines and associated outcomes in a multicenter studyMichael J Mosier
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
J Burn Care Res 32:104-9. 2011..The authors sought to evaluate compliance with early enteral nutrition (EN) guidelines, associated complications, and hospitalization outcomes in a prospective multicenter ..
- Transition from parenteral to enteral nutrition induces immediate diet-dependent gut histological and immunological responses in preterm neonatesJayda Siggers
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 301:G435-45. 2011..We conclude that a switch from parenteral to enteral nutrition rapidly induces diet-dependent histopathological, functional, and proinflammatory insults to the immature ..
- Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on an analysis of controlled clinical trialsJens Kondrup
Nutrition Unit, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Nutr 22:321-36. 2003....
- Patients experience with long-term percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy feeding following primary surgery for oral and oropharyngeal cancerSimon N Rogers
Regional Maxillofacial Unit, University Hospital Aintree, Lower Lane, Liverpool, Merseyside L9 7AL, United Kingdom
Oral Oncol 43:499-507. 2007..More can be done to counsel and support patients with long-term PEG placement...
- Elective gastrostomy, nutritional status and quality of life in advanced head and neck cancer patients receiving chemoradiotherapyRandall P Morton
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Counties Manukau District Health Board, Manukau, New Zealand
ANZ J Surg 79:713-8. 2009..This study aimed to examine the factors associated with PEG insertion and the effects of PEG use on QOL and functional outcomes in HNC patients receiving chemoradiotherapy...
- Effect of oral nutritional supplementation on weight loss and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube rates in patients treated with radiotherapy for oropharyngeal carcinomaHaidy Lee
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908 800383, USA
Support Care Cancer 16:285-9. 2008....
- Randomized clinical trial of the effects of immediate enteral nutrition on metabolic responses to major colorectal surgery in an enhanced recovery protocolM Soop
Centre for Surgical Sciences, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Br J Surg 91:1138-45. 2004The effects of immediate postoperative enteral nutrition on postoperative nitrogen balance and insulin resistance were studied in patients subjected to an enhanced-recovery protocol.
- Senescent swallowing: impact, strategies, and interventionsDenise M Ney
University of Wisconsin, Department of Nutritional Sciences, and the William S Middleton Memorial VA Hospital GRECC, 2500 Overlook Terrace, GRECC 11G, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 24:395-413. 2009....
- Preventive effect of nutritional therapy against postoperative recurrence of Crohn disease, with reference to findings determined by intra-operative enteroscopyMotohiro Esaki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:1431-7. 2005The aim of this study was to elucidate the predictive value of intra-operative enteroscopy (IOE) and the effect of enteral nutrition (EN) with regard to the postoperative recurrence of Crohn disease (CD).
- The immunomodulating enteral nutrition in malnourished surgical patients - a prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical trialStanislaw Klek
1st Department of Surgery, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Clin Nutr 30:282-8. 2011..The aim of the study was to assess the impact of enteral immunonutrition in postoperative period...
- Impact of prophylactic percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy on malnutrition and quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer: a randomized studyEwa Silander
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg Sweden
Head Neck 34:1-9. 2012The purpose of this randomized study was to examine if a prophylactic percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) for enteral nutrition could prevent malnutrition, reduce hospital stay, and improve health-related quality of life (HRQOL).
- Nutrition considerations in traumatic brain injuryAaron M Cook
University of Kentucky HealthCare, Lexington, KY, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 23:608-20. 2008..b>Enteral nutrition is clearly established as the preferential route of nutrition support for this population vs parenteral ..
- Clinical and organizational factors associated with feeding tube use among nursing home residents with advanced cognitive impairmentSusan L Mitchell
Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged Research and Training Institute, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Division on Aging, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02131, USA
JAMA 290:73-80. 2003..Empiric data and expert opinion suggest that use of feeding tubes is not beneficial for older persons with advanced dementia. Previous research has shown a 10-fold variation in this practice across the United States...
- Effect of body mass index on chemoradiation outcomes in head and neck cancerTheodore R McRackan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29725, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1180-5. 2008..To investigate the association between initial body mass index (BMI) and chemoradiation therapy (CRT) outcomes in head and neck cancer patients...
- Influence of an eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid-enriched enteral nutrition formula on plasma fatty acid composition and biomarkers of insulin resistance in the elderlyJosune Olza
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Biomedical Research Centre, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Clin Nutr 29:31-7. 2010..elderly patients exclusively with an n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid-enriched diet specifically designed for enteral nutrition for 6 months, evaluating modifications in plasma fatty acid profile and some biomarkers of insulin ..
- Effect of recombinant human growth hormone and enteral nutrition on short bowel syndromeZhu Weiming
From the Department of General Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:377-81. 2004..The aim of the current study was to determine if enteral nutrition and rhGH are effective in weaning short bowel patients off total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- Prokinetic therapy for feed intolerance in critical illness: one drug or two?Nam Q Nguyen
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
Crit Care Med 35:2561-7. 2007..To compare the efficacy of combination therapy, with erythromycin and metoclopramide, to erythromycin alone in the treatment of feed intolerance in critically ill patients...
- Gastroschisis, atresia, dysmotility: surgical treatment strategies for a distinct clinical entityJ Duncan Phillips
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:2208-12. 2008..We describe a distinct subset of these children with severe dysmotility, without mechanical intestinal obstruction, and with adequate intestinal length for enteral nutrition and propose possible treatment strategies.
- Effect of early postoperative enteral immunonutrition on wound healing in patients undergoing surgery for gastric cancerNúria Farreras
Department of Surgery, Hospital de la Creu Roja, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Avenida Josep Molins 29 41, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Nutr 24:55-65. 2005..The main objective of this study was to assess the effect of early postoperative enteral immunonutrition on the wound healing process in patients undergoing surgery for gastric cancer...
- Transnasal endoscopic placement of nasoenteric feeding tubes: outcomes and limitations in non-critically ill patientsSanjiv Mahadeva
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Nutr Clin Pract 23:176-81. 2008..feeding resulted in complete healing of gastrocutaneous fistulae in 5 of 6 patients and provision of total enteral nutrition in 3 of 4 cases of acute pancreatitis and 9 of 11 cases of gastroparesis or proximal duodenal obstruction...
- Safety and effectiveness of prophylactic gastrostomy tubes for head and neck cancer patients undergoing chemoradiationNam P Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Arizona, 101 N Campbell Avenue, P O Box 45081 Tucson, AZ 85724 508, USA
Surg Oncol 15:199-203. 2006..We would like to assess the safety and effectiveness of prophylactic percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube feedings during concurrent chemoradiation for head and neck cancer...
- Prospective study of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubes versus nasogastric tubes for enteral feeding in patients with head and neck cancer undergoing (chemo)radiationJune Corry
Division of Radiation Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne, Australia
Head Neck 31:867-76. 2009..Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tubes have largely replaced nasogastric tubes (NGTs) for nutritional support of patients with head and neck cancer undergoing curative (chemo) radiotherapy without any good scientific basis...
- Change in brain glucose after enteral nutrition in subarachnoid hemorrhageKosaku Kinoshita
Division of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Acute Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Itabashi, Tokyo
J Surg Res 162:221-4. 2010The alteration of brain extracellular glucose after enteral nutrition (EN) remains unclear...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: Surgery including organ transplantationA Weimann
Klinik f Allgemein und Visceralchirurgie, Klinikum St Georg, Leipzig, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:224-44. 2006..From a metabolic and nutritional point of view, the key aspects of perioperative care include: Enteral nutrition (EN) by means of oral nutritional supplements (ONS) and if necessary tube feeding (TF) offers the ..
- Enteral Nutrition Practitioner Tutorial - An Online Case-Based Learning ProgramCheryl Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Enteral nutrition (EN) provides nutrients through a feeding tube for individuals who cannot meet their nutrition needs orally, yet retain adequate digestive and absorptive function...
- Alcohol-Induced Bone Resorption: The Role of Oxidative StressMartin J J Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2013..consistent with previously published data from our laboratory in cycling female rats fed ethanol via total enteral nutrition. In the rat model, increased bone resorption was accompanied by increased expression of RANKL in bone...
- Routine Aspiration of Residual Gastric Contents in Very Low Birth Weight InfantsLeslie A Parker; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant)::The importance of adequate enteral nutrition during the first few weeks following birth in premature very low birth weight (VLBW) infants is well known and necessary to facilitate optimal growth and ..
- Regulation of Hepatic Metabolic Function by Parenteral NutritionDouglas G Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2013..phytosterols and n-6 fatty acids (FA) induces hepatic cholestasis, steatosis and inflammation compared to enteral nutrition. TPN also suppresses plasma FGF19, a product of farnesoid X receptor (FXR), and treatment with an FXR-..
- Accelerating Adoption of Comparative Effectiveness Research in Premature InfantsPhillip Brian Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..These changes will influence enteral nutrition (affecting all infants) and the use of 6 of the 12 most common medications (antibiotics, antacids, and ..
- Patient-oriented Research in Pediatric Diarrheal DiseasesChristopher P Duggan; Fiscal Year: 2013..children with short bowel syndrome suffer from chronic diarrhea requiring treatment with parenteral and enteral nutrition. This revised application requests a mid-career investigator award in patient-oriented research (K24) for ..
- In-Patient Pediatric Gastrojejunal Tube Cleaner Eliminating Surgical InterventionRyan S Clement; Fiscal Year: 2013..Public Health Problem: Enteral nutrition is provided for patients that have a functioning lower gastrointestinal tract, but are unable to orally ..
- ASPEN 2013 Research Workshop: The Interface between Nutrition and the Gut MicrobiCarrie P Earthman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) Research Workshop (RW) has been a highly successful and scientifically respected conference that brings together nutrition ..
- Physiological role of GLP-2 receptor in the mouse intestinal growth and functionXinfu Guan; Fiscal Year: 2009..for intestinal growth (adaptation) and absorptive function in two conditions:  where mice receive a 36-h enteral nutrition after a 36-h fast;and  where mice receive either a 50% small bowel resection or a sham operation...
- Intensive Nutrition in ARDS: A Clinical Trial (INTACT)Carol L Braunschweig; Fiscal Year: 2012..The nutritional care provided to ARDS patients typically consists of enteral nutrition (EN) while mechanically ventilated followed by a general diet when weaned from the ventilator...
- Attenuating Inflammation via Protein-Calorie RestrictionTodd W Rice; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Enteral nutrition has been shown to reduce inflammation and improve clinical outcomes by preserving the intestinal mucosa, ..
- Mechanisms of Intestinal Stem Cell Expansion Following ResectionMichael A Helmrath; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the clinical setting many patients are unable to tolerate enteral nutrition (EN) after massive intestinal loss, and require total parenteral nutrition (TPN)...
- Dietary Patterns and the Course of Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseJames D Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2013..These factors, particularly diet, can also impact the course of CD. Exclusive enteral nutrition with elemental, semi-elemental, or defined formula diets is first line therapy for active CD in Europe and ..
- A.S.P.E.N. Clinical Nutrition Research WorkshopCharlene W Compher; Fiscal Year: 2012..The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) is uniquely positioned to achieve this goal as a result of the scope of training among ASPEN members ..
- INFECTION IN ELBW INFANTS:PROTECTION WITH MOTHER'S MILKNancy Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2005..to provide protection from infection during the early post-birth period when ELBW infants cannot tolerate enteral nutrition. An example is the use of OMM for routine infant mouth care and/or for gut-priming, e.g...
- "A randomized controlled trial of amitriptyline for chronic oral food refusal" Ann M Davis; Fiscal Year: 2011..as temporary, short-term solution to medical complications, feeding tubes can become a permanent conduit for enteral nutrition. While tube feeding routinely saves the lives of children who exhibit chronic oral food refusal, long-term ..
- LIPID AND CHOLESTEROL ESTERASE IN NEONATAL GUT INTEGRITYPHILIP HOWLES; Fiscal Year: 1999..This process is dependent on enteral nutrition and is greatly affected by the lipid composition of the neonatal diet...
- NUTRITION INTERVENTION IN AIDS WASTINGSherwood Gorbach; Fiscal Year: 1999..peptide-based supplement and an appetite stimulant, megestrol acetate, along with dietary counseling; and 3) enteral nutrition using nocturnal enteral supplementation through a percutaneous endoscopically-placed gastrostomy (PEG) and ..
- Arginine Treatment for Alcoholic HepatitisJohn Tayek; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the first study, enteral nutrition with additional arginine and BCAA added improved mortality in patients with active liver disease...
- METABOLISM AND CLINICAL APPLICATION OF OLIGOPEPTIDESSIAMAK ADIBI; Fiscal Year: 1991..we will investigate the importance of peptide entry into portal circulation after a protein meal or during enteral nutrition with dipeptides in dogs...
- ETHANOL AND OSTEOBLASTOGENESIS: ROLES OF IL-1 AND TNFCHARLES LUMPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Previous work demonstrates that chronic ethanol exposure in the rat (enteral nutrition model) decreases tibial bending strength, inhibits bone formation during DO, and increases the expression of ..
- GASTRIC FEEDING TUBES: PATIENT/FAMILY/PROVIDER VIEWSTimothy Carey; Fiscal Year: 2002..These multiple perspectives on the use of gastrostomy tubes will allow a much more complete portrait of the benefits and limitations of this increasingly utilized supportive therapy at the end of life. ..
- Research and Development of an Online Enteral Nutrition Practitioner TutorialCheryl Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Enteral nutrition (EN) provides nutrients through a feeding tube for individuals who cannot meet their nutrition needs orally yet retain adequate digestive and absorptive function...
- A.S.P.E.N. Research Workshop on Functional FoodsCraig McClain; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.) annually organizes a one-day Research Workshop on an important and timely topic related to clinical nutrition...
- MATURATION OF NEONATAL INTESTINAL MOTILITY AND PEPTIDESCarol Berseth; Fiscal Year: 1990..infant motility patterns are more immature than those seen in term infants; however, administration of enteral nutrition accelerates maturation of preterm motility patterns...
- NUTRIENT SUPPORT IN TRANSPLANTATION RESEARCH WORKSHOPW Helton; Fiscal Year: 1999..forum which will be included in the annual clinical congress of the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Speakers will present thought provoking new research and refrain from general overviews...
- Family Carers' Response to Home Tube Fed Older AdultsHEIDI SILVER; Fiscal Year: 2000Home enteral nutrition, i.e...
- Development of a 'Nurse-Friendly' Bedside Test for AspirationNorma A Metheny; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DETECTING ASPIRATION ASSOCIATED WITH TUBE FEEDINGSNorma Metheny; Fiscal Year: 2007..Delivery, receipt and enactment of the ARRP will be evaluated by quantitative and qualitative methods. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON BONE FORMATION IN PREGNANCYMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have developed a total enteral nutrition (TEN) -model that supports the additional nutritional demands of pregnancy...
- ETHANOL METABOLISM IN PREGNANCY--ROLE OF DIETMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have developed a total enteral nutrition (TEN) model that supports the additional nutritional demands of pregnancy and which allows the systematic ..
- Multifaceted Interventions to Ameliorate Pain/SymptomsJoan Teno; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cancer Assessments and Reports of End-of-Life TreatmentJoan Teno; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such tools will allow institutions to measure whether cancer care is meeting patient and family members' needs and expectations. ..
- RESIDENT ASSESSMENT OF PAIN MANAGEMENT (RAPM)Joan Teno; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Feeding Tube Use Among Persons with Advanced DementiaJoan Teno; Fiscal Year: 2008..Knowledge gained will be used to inform public policy and formulate facility interventions to ensure that FT insertion in persons with severe cognitive impairment is ethically appropriate. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MINIMAL ENTERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS IN NEONATESDouglas Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Enteral vs. IV Feeding: Effect on Mucosal ImmunityKenneth A Kudsk; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Improving Decision-Making about Feeding Options for Dementia PatientsLaura Hanson; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, this intervention will demonstrate a methodology with broader application to decision-making in dementia care. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- GLUTAMINE SYNTHETASE AND INTESTINAL EPITHELIUMJosef Neu; Fiscal Year: 2003..Considering the technical limitations in administering glutamine (degradation in aqueous solutions), these studies will suggest alternatives providing the same benefits in a safer and more practical manner. ..
- A Trial of Zinc and Micronutrients in Tanzanian ChildrenChristopher P Duggan; Fiscal Year: 2010..As experts in the fields of nutrition, pediatrics, epidemiology and maternal and child health, our team is committed to further evaluating the possible role of micronutrients in improving child health. ..
- Gut Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury: Modulation by NutrientsRosemary Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2006..The sponsors are an integral part of this arrangement and are especially suited to ensure success of the proposed project...
- Assessment and Promotin of Feeding in Premature InfantsPeter Bingham; Fiscal Year: 2009..The approaches outlined here will contribute to successful feeding by newborns with other illnesses. ..
- Short-Chain Fatty Acid Enhanced Intestinal AdaptationKELLY TAPPENDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Intersociety Nutrition Research WorkshopKELLY TAPPENDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..from four collaborating societies: American Dietetic Association, American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, American Society for Clinical Nutrition (American Society of Nutrition), and North American Association for ..
- Intestinal Barrier Function and Type 1 DiabetesJosef Neu; Fiscal Year: 2005..It will also provide evidence for the efficacy of promising nutritional strategies that can be translated to future trials in human infants at risk for Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency in Breastfed InfantsEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study has considerable public health importance because of the importance of preventing vitamin D deficiency not only in its severe form, rickets, but also in its milder forms. ..
- Eating Behaviors in Homebound Older AdultsJULIE LOCHER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Iron and the Breast-fed InfantEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect to find that infants re-excrete iron into the feces when their iron stores are full, but retain most of the absorbed iron when iron stores are low. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- APOPTOSIS IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASEIon Deaciuc; Fiscal Year: 2002..The project will provide essential information which will: 1) bring novel elements in our understanding of the alcoholic liver disease, and 2) pave the way to novel therapeutical approaches to control the disease. ..
- Device use in Nursing Homes: Reducing Risk of InfectionLona Mody; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL REGULATION OF HYPERCAPNIC RESPONSESRichard Martin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regional Adiposity and Syndrome X in Spinal Cord InjuryCarol Braunschweig; Fiscal Year: 2004..Correlation analysis, multiple regression, and analysis of variance will be used to determine the association between CRP, the MS, insulin sensitivity, and various measures of regional adiposity between these groups. ..
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CURRICULUM AND MENTORSHIP PROGRAMJon Tyson; Fiscal Year: 2004..This program is likely to be cost-effective in developing productive clinical investigators "who are competitive in seeking research support and knowledgeable about the complex issues associated with ... sound clinical research." ..
- Oleic Acid Effects on Transit and Absorption in SBSCharlene Compher; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Alcohol: Direct and Indirect Effects in Drug MetabolismTHOMAS BADGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The CASCADE Study: End-of-Life in Advanced DementiaSusan Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The ADEPT Study: Estimating Prognosis in Advanced DementiaSusan Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus, the information derived from this study has the potential to make important clinical, research and policy-relevant contributions to the care of older persons with dementia at the end-of-life. ..
- BOLD Prediction of Success in a Weight Loss ProgramJames Cox; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..