Genomes and Genes
Summary: Treatment of varicose veins, hemorrhoids, gastric and esophageal varices, and peptic ulcer hemorrhage by injection or infusion of chemical agents which cause localized thrombosis and eventual fibrosis and obliteration of the vessels.
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Randomized clinical trial comparing endovenous laser ablation, radiofrequency ablation, foam sclerotherapy and surgical stripping for great saphenous varicose veinsL H Rasmussen
Danish Vein Centres, Naestved, Denmark
Br J Surg 98:1079-87. 2011..This randomized trial compared four treatments for varicose great saphenous veins (GSVs)...
- Pathomorphology of esophageal and gastric varicesMasahiro Arakawa
Department of Pathology, Omuta City General Hospital, Omuta, Japan
Semin Liver Dis 22:73-82. 2002..Because of the large size, the management of fundic varices is difficult, and the new technique called balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for occluding fundic varices is discussed...
- A pathophysiologic, gastroenterologic, and radiologic approach to the management of gastric varicesBarbara M Ryan
Department of Gastroenterology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
Gastroenterology 126:1175-89. 2004..The role of some newer interventional radiologic techniques requires further appraisal. This review describes the pathophysiology, diagnosis, natural history, endoscopic, and interventional radiologic treatment options for GV...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the treatments of varicose veinsM Hassan Murad
Knowledge and Evaluation Research Unit, Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Vasc Surg 53:49S-65S. 2011..Several treatment options exist for varicose veins. In this review we summarize the available evidence derived from comparative studies about the relative safety and efficacy of these treatments...
- Endoscopic ligation compared with sclerotherapy for bleeding esophageal varices in children with extrahepatic portal venous obstructionShowkat Ali Zargar
Department of Gastroenterology, Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir, India
Hepatology 36:666-72. 2002Endoscopic sclerotherapy is an effective treatment for bleeding esophageal varices, but it is associated with significant complications...
- Bucrylate treatment of bleeding gastric varices: 12 years' experienceR Kind
First Surgical Department, Universita di Verona, Italy
Endoscopy 32:512-9. 2000..In this study we report on our experience with the use of Bucrylate (Hystoacryl) for the treatment of gastric varices over a period of more than a decade...
- Treatment of lymphangiomas with OK-432 (Picibanil) sclerotherapy: a prospective multi-institutional trialChantal M Giguere
Department of Otolaryngology, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:1137-44. 2002..To describe and to determine the robustness of our study evaluating the efficacy of OK-432 (Picibanil) as a therapeutic modality for lymphangiomas...
- Endoscopic Doppler US-guided injection therapy for gastric varices: case reportGiorgio Battaglia
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, IV Surgery Clinic, University of Padova, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 57:608-11. 2003
- Efficacy and safety of great saphenous vein sclerotherapy using standardised polidocanol foam (ESAF): a randomised controlled multicentre clinical trialE Rabe
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:238-45. 2008To assess the safety and efficacy of sclerotherapy of the great saphenous vein (GSV) comparing standardised polidocanol foam to liquid polidocanol in a randomised controlled trial (RCT).
- [Effect of endoscopic sclerotherapy using N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate in patients with gastric variceal bleeding]Jae Woo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Republic of Korea
Korean J Hepatol 12:394-403. 2006..This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate injection therapy for patients suffering with gastric variceal bleeding...
- Comparative study of duplex-guided foam sclerotherapy and duplex-guided liquid sclerotherapy for the treatment of superficial venous insufficiencyTakashi Yamaki
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Dermatol Surg 30:718-22; discussion 722. 2004To compare the preliminary results of hemodynamic changes between duplex-guided foam sclerotherapy and duplex-guided liquid sclerotherapy.
- Sclerotherapy for simple cysts with use of ethanolamine oleate: preliminary experienceKiyosei Yamamoto
Department of Radiology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Nara, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:751-5. 2005..Seven patients with symptomatic hepatic (n = 3) or renal cysts (n = 4) were treated by sclerotherapy with EO. The cyst size in the greater diameter ranged from 6 to 13 cm...
- European Consensus Meeting on Foam Sclerotherapy, April, 4-6, 2003, Tegernsee, GermanyFranz Xaver Breu
Dermatol Surg 30:709-17; discussion 717. 2004The introduction of sclerotherapy using foam sclerosants has revitalized interest in this method of treating varicose veins...
- TIPS versus transcatheter sclerotherapy for gastric varicesTeruhisa Ninoi
Department of Radiology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:369-76. 2004The purpose of our study was to compare the efficacy and long-term results of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) with those of transcatheter sclerotherapy for the treatment of gastric varices.
- A randomized controlled trial of cyanoacrylate versus alcohol injection in patients with isolated fundic varicesShiv K Sarin
Department of Gastroenterology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1010-5. 2002..A prospective study was undertaken to compare the efficacy and safety of GV sclerotherapy using alcohol and GV obturation using cyanoacrylate glue.
- Induction of spermatogenesis in men with azoospermia or severe oligoteratoasthenospermia after antegrade internal spermatic vein sclerotherapy for the treatment of varicoceleVassilis Poulakis
Department of Urology and Pediatric Urology, Krankenhaus Nordwest, Stiftung Hospital zum Heiligen Geist Frankfurt am Main
Asian J Androl 8:613-9. 2006To evaluate the treatment outcome of antegrade internal spermatic vein sclerotherapy in men with non-obstructive azoospermia or severe oligoteratoasthenospermia (OTA) as a result of varicocele.
- A prospective, randomized trial of butyl cyanoacrylate injection versus band ligation in the management of bleeding gastric varicesG H Lo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Hepatology 33:1060-4. 2001..01). Nine patients of group A and 14 patients of group B died (P = .05). In conclusion, endoscopic obturation using cyanoacrylate proved more effective and safer than band ligation in the management of bleeding gastric varices...
- Immediate and midterm complications of sclerotherapy: report of a prospective multicenter registry of 12,173 sclerotherapy sessionsJean Jerome Guex
Société Française de Phlébologie, Paris, France
Dermatol Surg 31:123-8; discussion 128. 2005Growing interest in sclerotherapy has emphasized the need for complete knowledge of all aspects of this method.
- Long-term results of single-session percutaneous drainage and ethanol sclerotherapy in simple renal cystsDevrim Akinci
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Shhiye, Ankara TR 06100, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 54:298-302. 2005To demonstrate the efficacy and long-term results of the single-session ethanol sclerotherapy in simple renal cysts.
- Is sclerotherapy better than intralesional excision for treating aneurysmal bone cysts?Manish Kumar Varshney
Department of Orthopaedics, Lady Harding Medical College and Associated Hospitals, 110001 New Delhi, India
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:1649-59. 2010Minimally invasive approaches such as sclerotherapy have been introduced to treat aneurysmal bone cysts. Sclerotherapy has been associated with reasonable healing rates during the past two decades...
- Experience of sclerotherapy and embolosclerotherapy using ethanolamine oleate for vascular malformations of the head and neckNobuyuki Kaji
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 43:126-36. 2009b>Sclerotherapy is effective in the treatment of vascular malformations. However, in lesions with relatively high blood flow, its effect is not always adequate...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of polidocanol in the form of foam compared with liquid form in sclerotherapy of the greater saphenous vein: initial resultsClaudine Hamel-Desnos
Center Hospitalier Privé Saint Martin, 18 Rue des Rocquemonts, 14050 Caen Cedex, France
Dermatol Surg 29:1170-5; discussion 1175. 2003..Until now, however, no comparative study for the treatment of large varicose veins with foam or liquid exists...
- A randomized controlled trial comparing ligation and sclerotherapy as emergency endoscopic treatment added to somatostatin in acute variceal bleedingCandid Villanueva
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 45:560-7. 2006..However, which emergency endoscopic treatment combines better with drugs has not been clarified. This study compares the efficacy and safety of variceal ligation and sclerotherapy as emergency endoscopic treatment added to somatostatin.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of endovenous radiofrequency obliteration, endovenous laser therapy, and foam sclerotherapy for primary varicosisT Luebke
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 49:213-33. 2008Radiofrequency obliteration (RFO), endovenous laser therapy (EVLT) and foam sclerotherapy (FS) are potential treatments for varicose veins...
- An injectable tissue-engineered embolus prevents luminal recanalization after vascular sclerotherapyC Jason Smithers
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Surg 40:920-5. 2005b>Sclerotherapy for vascular malformations is often limited by luminal recanalization. This study examined whether an injectable tissue-engineered construct could prevent this complication in a rabbit model of venous sclerotherapy.
- Surgical treatment of varicocele by a subinguinal approach combined with antegrade intraoperative sclerotherapy of venous vesselsGiovanni Maria Colpi
University of Milan, Andrology Unit, San Paolo Hospital, Milan, Italy
BJU Int 97:142-5. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy, in terms of recurrences, complications and operative duration, of a new technique for treating varicocele...
- Treatment of esophageal varices: a randomized controlled trial comparing endoscopic sclerotherapy and EUS-guided sclerotherapy of esophageal collateral veinsGustavo Andrade de Paulo
Endoscopy Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo UNIFESP EPM, Brazil
Gastrointest Endosc 63:396-402; quiz 463. 2006Endoscopic sclerotherapy (ES) and band ligation are standard treatments for esophageal varices. Unfortunately, recurrence is common and seems to be related to esophageal collateral vessels, easily identified by EUS...
- Review article: the modern management of portal hypertension--primary and secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patientsJ C Garcia-Pagan
Liver Unit, Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS and Ciberehd, Barcelona, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:178-86. 2008..Variceal bleeding is a life-threatening complication of liver cirrhosis with a high probability of recurrence. Treatment to prevent first bleeding or rebleeding is mandatory...
- Prophylactic endoscopic sclerotherapy of large esophagogastric varices in infants with biliary atresiaMathieu Duché
Division of Radiologie, Hopital Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Gastrointest Endosc 67:732-7. 2008..Esophageal varices-related GI bleeding occurs frequently and early in life in children with biliary atresia and it may be life threatening...
- Emergency sclerotherapy versus vasoactive drugs for variceal bleeding in cirrhosis: a Cochrane meta-analysisGennaro D'Amico
Department of Medicine, Ospedale V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Gastroenterology 124:1277-91. 2003Emergency sclerotherapy is used as a first-line therapy for variceal bleeding in cirrhosis, although pharmacologic treatment stops bleeding in most patients...
- Symptomatic simple renal cyst: comparison of continuous negative-pressure catheter drainage and single-session alcohol sclerotherapyEnver Zerem
Department of Interventional Sonography, University Medical Center, Trnovac bb, Tuzla, TK 75000, Bosnia and Herzegovina
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:1193-7. 2008The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether continuous percutaneous catheter drainage with negative pressure yields better results than single-session alcohol sclerotherapy in the management of symptomatic simple renal cysts.
- Reversible cardiac arrest after polidocanol sclerotherapy of peripheral venous malformationMassimiliano M Marrocco-Trischitta
Center for Vascular Anomalies, Department of Vascular Surgery and Pathology, Istituto Dermopatico dell Immacolata, I D I IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Dermatol Surg 28:153-5. 2002Polidocanol sclerotherapy is a well-established therapeutic modality for the treatment of venous malformations. Systemic complications are extremely rare.
- Outcomes and side effects of duplex-guided sclerotherapy in the treatment of great saphenous veins with 1% versus 3% polidocanol foam: results of a randomized controlled trial with 1-year follow-upRoeland P M Ceulen
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Dermatol Surg 33:276-81. 2007..Eighty subjects were treated with either 1 or 3% polidocanol foam to compare the efficacy and adverse sequelae of each concentration of polidocanol foam...
- Prevalence of gastric varices and results of sclerotherapy with N-butyl 2 cyanoacrylate for controlling acute gastric variceal bleedingKhalid Mumtaz
Section of Gastroenterology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 13:1247-51. 2007To study the prevalence, predictors and control of bleeding following N-butyl 2 cyanoacrylate (NBC) sclerotherapy of gastric varix (GV).
- Comparison of multiple session 99% ethanol and single session OK-432 sclerotherapy for the treatment of simple renal cystsWon Sik Ham
Department of Urology, Urological Science Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 180:2552-6. 2008We compared the efficacy and safety of multiple session 99% ethanol sclerotherapy to single session OK-432 sclerotherapy for the treatment of simple renal cysts.
- Microfoam ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy treatment for varicose veins in a subgroup with diameters at the junction of 10 mm or greater compared with a subgroup of less than 10 mmJohn M Barrett
Palm Clinic, Auckland, New Zealand
Dermatol Surg 30:1386-90. 2004The objective was to analyze the effectiveness of foam ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy treatment in saphenous veins and tributary veins with a diameter at the saphenofemoral or saphenopopliteal junction of > or =10 mm and compare ..
- Sclerotherapy of oral and facial venous malformations with use of pingyangmycin and/or sodium morrhuateJ H Zhao
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College and Hospital of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430079, PR China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:463-6. 2004..The prevalence of an "excellent" rating in the combined sclerotherapy group (82%) was higher than that in the pingyangmycin group (71%) and the sodium morrhuate group (61%)...
- Sclerotherapy with 5% tetracycline is a simple alternative to potentially complex surgical treatment of ovarian endometriomas before in vitro fertilizationJeffrey D Fisch
Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine, 3121 S Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, Nevada 89109, USA
Fertil Steril 82:437-41. 2004..We previously reported that 12 patients were successfully treated with sclerotherapy using 5% tetracycline...
- Sclerotherapy treatment of telangiectasias and varicose veinsSteven E Zimmet
Zimmet Vein and Dermatology Clinic, Austin, TX 78701, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 6:116-20. 2003..Superficial thin-walled veins may rupture and hemorrhage. Sclerotherapy is a nonsurgical procedure that can be used to treat both small and large varices of the superficial venous ..
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices: use of CT-guided foam sclerotherapy to optimize techniqueJun Koizumi
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, 143 Shimokasuya, Isehara, Kanagawa, 259 1193 Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 199:200-7. 2012Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration has been traditionally based on liquid sclerotherapy. However, overdose and systemic spillage of liquid sclerosant can cause severe complications, such as hemolysis, which lead to ..
- Single-session alcohol-retention sclerotherapy for simple renal cysts: comparison of 2- and 4-hr retention techniquesYih Huie Lin
Department of Radiology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, 386 Ta Chung First Rd, Kaohsiung, Taiwan 813, ROC
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:860-6. 2005The objectives of our study were to evaluate the feasibility of ethanol sclerotherapy in treating simple renal cysts with prolonged ethanol retention and to compare the therapeutic results of 2- and 4-hr retention techniques.
- Foam sclerotherapy of venous malformationsJ Bergan
Vein Institute of La Jolla, La Jolla, CA, USA
Phlebology 22:299-302. 2007..6+/-2.8 (range 1-10). Pain-free healing was achieved in patients with non-healing ulcerations and cosmetically, all of the patients were improved. Sclerosant foam is useful in treating low-flow venous malformations...
- Treatment of gastric varices by endoscopic sclerotherapy using butyl cyanoacrylate: 10 years' experience of 635 casesLiu Fang Cheng
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, General Hospital of Chinese People s Liberation Army, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:2081-5. 2007..Here we summarized our experience of 10 years' practice to evaluate the efficacy and safety of endoscopic therapy using BC for GV patients...
- Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) in portal hypertensionP Bocus
Endoscopia Digestiva Oncologica, Istituto Oncologico Veneto IOV, IRCCS, Padova
Minerva Med 98:431-6. 2007..the esophagogastric junction seems to have a particular clinical interest having a predictive value on the effectiveness of the sclerotherapy and therefore on the final eradication. Also the several instrumentations used can modify the
- Immediate pathologic effects on the vein wall of foam sclerotherapyCamillo Orsini
Department of Surgery, Camposampiero s Hospital, Camposampiero Padova, Italy
Dermatol Surg 33:1250-4. 2007During the past 10 years, sclerotherapy has radically changed, the foam sclerotherapy method being better than that of liquid sclerotherapy.
- Foam sclerotherapy--a possible option in therapy of varicose veinsMichael Kendler
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergy, University of Leipzig, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:648-54. 2007..of reflux for the treatment of varicose veins are available, such as surgical and interventional methods and sclerotherapy. The administration of a sclerosing agent into a varicose vein results in an occlusion of the treated vein...
- Successful aspiration and ethanol sclerosis of a large, symptomatic, simple liver cyst: case presentation and review of the literatureWojciech C Blonski
Gastroenterology Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
World J Gastroenterol 12:2949-54. 2006..Here, we describe a patient with a large, symptomatic, simple liver cyst who experienced complete resolution of symptoms following cyst drainage and alcohol ablation, and we present a comprehensive review of the literature...
- Use of the curved linear-array echo endoscope to identify gastrorenal shunts in patients with gastric fundal varicesH Kakutani
Department of Endoscopy, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 36:710-4. 2004..We used a curved linear-array (CLA) echo endoscope in patients with fundal varices to identify gastrorenal shunts, and compared the detection rate with the gold standard, contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT)...
- Three-dimensional portography using multislice helical CT is clinically useful for management of gastric fundic varicesA Matsumoto
First Department of Internal Medicine, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, 1-2-3 Kasumi, Minami-ku, Hiroshima 734-8551, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:899-905. 2001..CT portography is useful in selecting candidates from patients with gastric fundic varices for retrograde transvenous obliteration and also in evaluating therapeutic results...
- Long-term results of endoscopic Histoacryl injection sclerotherapy for gastric variceal bleeding: a 10-year experienceTomohiko Akahoshi
Department of Disaster and Emergency Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Surgery 131:S176-81. 2002..The long-term efficacy and safety of endoscopic injection of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate (Histoacryl) were evaluated as the initial treatment for bleeding gastric varices...
- Obliteration of esophageal varices using EUS-guided sclerotherapy with color DopplerS Lahoti
St Luke s Medical Center, Pancreatic Biliary Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 51:331-3. 2000The current standard treatment of bleeding esophageal varices is band ligation. Although endoscopic sclerotherapy has largely been supplanted by band ligation, there are still clinical situations in which injection methods are useful...
- Percutaneous aspiration and ethanolamine oleate sclerotherapy for sustained resolution of symptomatic polycystic liver disease: an initial experienceRyosuke Nakaoka
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Onho Higashi, Osaka Sayama, Osaka, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:1540-5. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate percutaneous aspiration with ethanolamine oleate sclerosis in the management of symptomatic polycystic liver disease...
- Endovascular sclerotherapy, surgery, and surgery plus sclerotherapy in superficial venous incompetence: a randomized, 10-year follow-up trial--final resultsG Belcaro
PAP PEA Institute, San Valentino, Pescara, Italy
Angiology 51:529-34. 2000The study was planned to evaluate efficacy and costs of endovascular sclerotherapy (ES) in comparison with surgery and surgery associated with sclerotherapy in a prospective (10-year follow-up), good-clinical-practice study...
- Sclerotherapy: a study comparing polidocanol in foam and liquid formH Uncu
Ankara Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Genel Cerrahi Anabilim Dali, Ibni Sina Hastanesi, K 4 Blok, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Phlebology 25:44-9. 2010Compression sclerotherapy has been satisfactorily used for half a century for the treatment of varicose veins of the lower extremities...
- Enteroscopic cyanoacrylate sclerotherapy of jejunal and gallbladder varices in a patient with portal hypertensionS Getzlaff
Dept. of Gastroenterology, City Hospital, Ludwigshafen am Rhein (University of Mainz Medical School, Germany
Endoscopy 33:462-4. 2001..The treatment of varices in this area is traditionally surgical. This is the first report of enteroscopic sclerotherapy being successfully carried out using cyanoacrylate to treat hemorrhage from jejunal and gallbladder varices...
- Pathophysiology of visual disturbances occurring after foam sclerotherapyJ L Gillet
Vascular Medicine Phlebology, 51 bis Avenue Professeur Tixier, 38300 Bourgoin Jallieu, France
Phlebology 25:261-6. 2010Visual disturbances (VDs) are reported with an average rate of 1.4% after foam sclerotherapy (FS). Some clinical clues indicate that they could correspond to migraine with aura (MA).
- Ultrasound-guided aspiration and ethanol sclerotherapy for treating endometrial cystsG Gatta
Dipartimento di Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale Magrassi Lanzara, Sezione di Radiodiagnostica e Radioterapia, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, Piazza Miraglia 2, Naples, Italy
Radiol Med 115:1330-9. 2010The authors sought to evaluate the effectiveness of ultrasound (US)-guided aspiration and ethanol sclerotherapy in treating endometrial cysts and adopt this procedure as an alternative to surgery.
- Endoscopic sclerosis versus cyanoacrylate endoscopic injection for the first episode of variceal bleeding: a prospective, controlled, and randomized study in Child-Pugh class C patientsF Maluf-Filho
Endoscopic Unit, Medical Faculty, University of São Paulo Hospital, SP, Brazil
Endoscopy 33:421-7. 2001Despite the recognized efficacy of sclerotherapy and elastic band ligation in controlling variceal hemorrhage, the results of endoscopic treatment in Child-Pugh class C patients remain poor...
- Endoscopic therapy for gastric varicesS K Sarin
Department of Gastroenterology, G B Pant Hospital, University of Delhi, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi, India
Clin Liver Dis 14:263-79. 2010..This article reviews the current endoscopic treatment modalities used in gastric variceal bleeding, and the primary and secondary prophylaxis of gastric variceal bleeding...
- CT-guided sclerotherapy with ethanol concentration monitoring for treatment of renal cystsXiao Xue Xu
Department of Radiology, The Affiliated Hospital of North Sichuan Medical College, 63 Wenhua Rd, Nanchong City, Sichuan Province, China 637000
AJR Am J Roentgenol 196:W78-82. 2011The purpose of our study was to investigate the value of ethanol concentration monitoring for efficacy of CT-guided sclerotherapy of simple renal cysts.
- Foam sclerotherapy using polidocanol (aethoxysklerol) for preoperative portal vein embolization in 16 patientsSang Hoon Chung
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiologic Science, Severance Hospital, College of Medicine, University of Yonsei, 143, Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 34:1236-43. 2011To evaluate the clinical safety and effectiveness of foam sclerotherapy using polidocanol for preoperative portal vein embolization (PVE) before hemihepatectomy of the liver.
- A randomized study of aspiration and sclerotherapy versus laparoscopic deroofing in management of symptomatic simple renal cystsMayank Agarwal
Department of Surgery, SN Medical College, Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Endourol 26:561-5. 2012To perform a prospective randomized study to evaluate aspiration and sclerotherapy vs. laparoscopic deroofing in the management of symptomatic simple renal cysts.
- Endoscopic hemorrhoidal sclerotherapy using 50% dextrose water: a preliminary reportOlusegun I Alatise
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Indian J Gastroenterol 28:31-2. 2009Injection sclerotherapy has a prominent role in the treatment of bleeding hemorrhoids. The commonly used sclerosants are not available or very expensive in Nigeria...
- High production of endothelin after foam sclerotherapy: a new pathogenetic hypothesis for neurological and visual disturbances after sclerotherapyA Frullini
Studio medico flebologico Dr Frullini, Figline Valdarno, Florence, Italy
Phlebology 26:203-8. 2011Visual and neurological disturbances have always been reported following liquid sclerotherapy (LS) for venous insufficiency...
- Squamous cell carcinoma after endoscopic injection sclerotherapy for esophageal varicesN Kokudo
Second Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 85:861-4. 1990We report two cases of squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus following endoscopic injection sclerotherapy for esophageal varices...
- Side-effects and complications of foam sclerotherapy of the great and small saphenous veins: a controlled multicentre prospective study including 1,025 patientsJ L Gillet
Vascular Medicine Phlebology, 51 bis Avenue Professeur Tixier, 38300 Bourgoin Jallieu, France
Phlebology 24:131-8. 2009Increasing interest in foam sclerotherapy (FS) for saphenous insufficiency has highlighted the need to study the side-effects and complications of this treatment. The aim of this study is to better assess their nature and incidence.
- Study of hemodynamic changes in portal systemic shunts and their relation to variceal relapse after endoscopic variceal ligation combined with ethanol sclerotherapyKenji Ito
Department of Medicine and Clinical Oncology, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
J Gastroenterol 41:119-26. 2006..We aimed to clarify the influence of endoscopic treatment for esophageal varices on portal systemic shunts as well as its predictive value for variceal relapse...
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy for venous malformation of the lips: a retrospective study of 23 patientsF Gelbert
Department of Neuroradiology, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Neuroradiology 42:692-6. 2000..When treatment is indicated, it will be based on percutaneous sclerotherapy, using Ethibloc or Aetoxysclerol, with surgery in some patients...
- Sclerotherapy of lymphangiomas of the head and neckSusanne Wiegand
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Giessen and Marburg, Campus Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Head Neck 33:1649-55. 2011..Percutaneous sclerotherapy of lymphangioma involves the injection of sclerosing substances into the lymphangioma cysts...
- Comparison of ethanol and sodium tetradecyl sulfate in the sclerotherapy of renal cystErkan Demir
Department of Urology, Cukurova University Medical Faculty, Adana, Turkey
J Endourol 21:903-5. 2007..Our aim was to compare the efficacy and side effects of ethanol and sodium tetradecyl sulfate (STDS) as sclerosants for symptomatic simple renal cyst...
- Sclerotherapy of voluminous venous malformation in head and neck with absolute ethanol under digital subtraction angiography guidanceY A Wang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Stomatology, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, No 639, Zhi Zao Ju Road, Shanghai 200011, PR China
Phlebology 25:138-44. 2010..The aim of this paper was to evaluate the results of endovascular sclerotherapy of voluminous VM, when the lesion is either >or=15 cm in maximum diameter or the lesion invades more than ..
- Randomized clinical trial of ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy versus surgery for the incompetent great saphenous veinN Shadid
Department of Dermatology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 99:1062-70. 2012New minimally invasive treatment modalities, such as ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy (UGFS), are becoming more popular...
- Endoscopic ultrasonographic study of the azygos vein before and after endoscopic obliteration of esophagogastric varices by injection sclerotherapyA M Kassem
Department of Tropical Medicine, Kasr El Aini Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Endoscopy 32:630-4. 2000..In this study, we observed the changes in the azygos vein which occur with variceal obliteration by endoscopic injection sclerotherapy (EIS).
- Wound modulation via sclerotherapy and tissue adhesion. Observations and discussionA D Widgerow
Department of Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr J Surg 35:88-92. 1997..Successful prophylactic use of tetracycline in seroma-prone areas (latissimus dorsi/parascapular flaps, etc.) is also described...
- Visualized sclerotherapy of varicose veinsMamoru Kikuchi
Department of Plastic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Dermatol Surg 36:1050-5. 2010The spread and movement of sclerosant after injection during sclerotherapy is difficult to monitor.
- Fatal N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate pulmonary embolism after sclerotherapy for variceal bleedingA P van Beek
Dept of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Endoscopy 37:687. 2005
- Variceal recurrence, rebleeding, and survival after endoscopic injection sclerotherapy in 287 alcoholic cirrhotic patients with bleeding esophageal varicesJake E J Krige
Department of Surgery, University of Cape Town Health Sciences Faculty, Anzio Road, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Surg 244:764-70. 2006This study tested the validity of the hypothesis that eradication of esophageal varices by repeated injection sclerotherapy would reduce recurrent variceal bleeding and death from bleeding varices in a high-risk cohort of alcoholic ..
- A prospective clinical study of interventional ultrasound sclerotherapy on women with hydrosalpinx before in vitro fertilization and embryo transferHong Jiang
Reproductive Medicine Center, Huangshan Hospital, Hefei, People s Republic of China
Fertil Steril 94:2854-6. 2010In this prospective clinical study, ultrasound-guided transvaginal aspiration and sclerotherapy with 98% ethanol was performed before the IVF cycle in 33 patients with hydrosalpinx...
- Variceal rebleeding and recurrence after endoscopic injection sclerotherapy: a prospective evaluation in 204 patientsJ E Krige
Department of Surgery, University of Cape Town Medical School, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Arch Surg 135:1315-22. 2000Eradication of esophageal varices by repeated injection sclerotherapy and maintenance of eradication using continued surveillance endoscopy may reduce recurrent variceal bleeding and death from esophageal varices.
- Facial nerve conduction after sclerotherapy in children with facial lymphatic malformations: report of two casesPei Jung Lin
Department of Neurology, E Da Hospital, I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Tohoku J Exp Med 211:401-6. 2007..b>Sclerotherapy, an injection of a sclerosing agent directly through the skin into a lesion, is an alternative method...
- Efficacy and evaluation of safety of sclerosants for intramuscular venous malformations: clinical and experimental studiesMine Ozaki
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine, 6 20 2 Shinkawa, Mitaka shi, Tokyo, Japan
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 44:75-87. 2010Excision of intramuscular venous malformations may damage intact functional muscles, and sclerotherapy is an alternative way of relieving symptoms. Several sclerosants are available, but selection of the optimal one is controversial...
- Treatment of lymphatic malformations of head and neck with OK-432 sclerotherapy induce systemic inflammatory responseMervi Närkiö-Mäkelä
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kuopio University Hospital and University of Kuopio, POB 1777, Kuopio, Finland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 268:123-9. 2011Systemic immune responses after OK-432 (Picibanil) sclerotherapy in patients with head and neck lymphatic malformations (LM) were examined to achieve a better understanding of the mechanism of OK-432 sclerotherapy and to evaluate the ..
- A new technique of combined endoscopic sclerotherapy and ligation for variceal bleedingRadha K Dhiman
Department of Hepatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
World J Gastroenterol 9:1090-3. 2003To develop a technique of combined endoscopic sclerotherapy and ligation (ESL) in which both techniques of endoscopic sclerotherapy (ES) and endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) can be optimally used.
- Foam and liquid sclerotherapy for varicose veinsPhilip Coleridge Smith
London Vein Institute, London WIG 6 LF, UK
Phlebology 24:62-72. 2009The objective of this study is to review the methods and outcome of ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy (UGFS) for the treatment of superficial venous incompetence.
- Clinical comparison of sclerotherapy versus long-pulsed Nd:YAG laser treatment for lower extremity telangiectasesJason R Lupton
Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, Washington, DC, USA
Dermatol Surg 28:694-7. 2002b>Sclerotherapy has traditionally been considered the gold standard of treatment for leg veins, but patient fear of multiple needle injections and side effects of treatment have fueled investigation into other treatment alternatives...
- Sodium morrhuate sclerotherapy for the treatment of benign lymphoepithelial cysts of the parotid gland in the HIV patientAvron Marcus
Department of Otolaryngology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Laryngoscope 115:746-9. 2005
- Lymphangioma circumscriptum: treatment with hypertonic saline sclerotherapyJoseph B Bikowski
Department of Dermatology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:442-4. 2005..4% hypertonic saline sclerotherapy. The patient's lymphangioma circumscriptum significantly resolved with minimal side effects, such as mild ..
- A new "sandwich" method of combined endoscopic variceal ligation and sclerotherapy versus ligation alone in the treatment of esophageal variceal bleeding: a randomized trialM C Hou
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei-Veterans General Hospital, and National Yang-Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Gastrointest Endosc 53:572-8. 2001..e., ligation-sclerotherapy-ligation) could achieve better results than ligation alone...
- Adjuvant sclerotherapy after ligation for the treatment of esophageal varices: a prospective, randomized long-term studyY S Cheng
Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan
Gastrointest Endosc 53:566-71. 2001BACKGROUND: To assess the efficacy of adjuvant sclerotherapy after banding for the treatment of esophageal varices, a randomized trial was carried out of endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) alone with sequential sclerotherapy versus ..
- Pleural effusions following endoscopic injection sclerotherapy for cirrhotic patients with esophageal varicesHideyuki Kayama
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Yokohama City University, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 53:376-80. 2006Endoscopic injection sclerotherapy is in widespread use for patients with esophageal varices. It is well known that pleural effusions are among complications following endoscopic sclerotherapy...
- Does sclerotherapy of remnant little oesophageal varices after endoscopic ligation have impact on the reduction of recurrent varices? Prospective studySasa Grgov
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, General Hospital, Leskovac, Serbia
Srp Arh Celok Lek 139:328-32. 2011Endoscopic band ligation (EBL) is superior to endoscopic injection sclerotherapy (EIS) of oesophageal varices, however, EBL is associated with a higher rate of variceal recurrences.
- Doxycycline sclerotherapy as primary treatment of head and neck lymphatic malformations in childrenDeepika Nehra
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Lucile Packard Children s Hospital, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:451-60. 2008The authors report their experience with doxycycline sclerotherapy as primary treatment of head and neck lymphatic malformations (LMs) in children.
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy for intractable external biliary fistula after hepatectomyToshiomi Kusano
Department of Surgery, Hamamatsu Medical Center, Hamamatsu, Japan
Int Surg 88:72-5. 2003..Percutaneous sclerotherapy by the injection of ethanol was found to be useful for closing a noncommunicating external biliary fistula.
- Office-based sclerotherapy for benign parotid lymphoepithelial cysts in the HIV-positive patientEric E Berg
Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Laryngoscope 119:868-70. 2009..To determine the efficacy of sodium morrhuate injection therapy in the control of benign lymphoepithelial cysts of the parotid gland...
- Treatment of a pelvic arteriovenous malformation by stent graft placement combined with sclerotherapySun Young Choi
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiological Science, Severance Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Surg 51:1006-9. 2010..within the left external iliac vein to occlude the arteriovenous shunts with consecutive transarterial sclerotherapy using absolute ethanol. This resulted in complete resolution of the pelvic arteriovenous malformation...
- Silver nitrate sclerotherapy for 'clinically significant' chyluria: a prospective evaluation of duration of therapyD Dalela
Department of Urology, King George s Medical University, Lucknow, India
Urol Int 72:335-40. 2004..at 8-hourly intervals in 1 day) with the control regimen B (9 instillations at 8-hourly intervals in 3 days) of using 1% silver nitrate solution for renal pelvic instillation sclerotherapy in 'clinically significant' filarial chyluria.
- Fluoroscopy-guided foam sclerotherapy with sodium morrhuate for peripheral venous malformations: Preliminary experienceLong Li
Department of Interventional Radiology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
J Vasc Surg 49:961-7. 2009Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy is a generally safe, cost-effective, and practical technique for the treatment of certain venous malformations; however, not all vascular malformation lesions are amenable to the ultrasound-guided ..
- Microwave coagulation versus sclerotherapy after band ligation to prevent recurrence of high risk of bleeding esophageal varices in Child-Pugh's A and B patientsLeonardo Trevizan Monici
Gastroenterological Diagnosis and Research Center Gastrocentro, State University of Campinas, Rua Carlos Chagas 420, Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, Campinas, SP 13031 970, Brazil
J Gastroenterol 45:204-10. 2010The combination of endoscopic band ligation (EBL) with either endoscopic injection sclerotherapy (EIS) or thermal therapy has been shown to reduce recurrence of esophageal varices compared to EBL alone...
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy of a giant mediastinal lymphangiomaA Desir
Dept of Medical Imaging, University Hospital of Liege, B 35, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Eur Respir J 32:804-6. 2008The present study reports a case of percutaneous sclerotherapy of a giant mediastinal cystic lymphangioma using Ethibloc (Ethicon, Norderstedt, Germany) and absolute ethanol in a 59-yr-old female...
- Treatment of varicocele: randomized prospective study on open surgery versus Tauber antegrade sclerotherapyAlessandro Zucchi
Urology Department, University of Perugia, Policlinico Monteluce, Via Brunamonti, 06100 Perugia, Italy
J Androl 26:328-32. 2005..with varicocele was to evaluate the outcome following open surgery with inguinal approach versus antegrade sclerotherapy according to the Tauber procedure...
- Results and complications of adolescent varicocele repair with intraoperative sodium morrhuate sclerotherapyBrett Lebed
Department of Urology, Temple University Children s Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Urol 180:1837-41. 2008..We report our experience with 3 varicocele ligation procedures in concordance with sclerotherapy in adolescent patients.
- Venous Malformations (VM): A Murine Model to Identify Therapies to Target AberranElisa Boscolo; Fiscal Year: 2013..No targeted therapies are available, and treatments for VM are very limited, including only sclerotherapy and reconstructive surgery. After treatment, lesions often recur...
- MR-Compatible X-Ray TubeRebecca Fahrig; Fiscal Year: 2010..open magnet (SP-XMR) for guiding a range of challenging procedures including creation of neo-vagina, and sclerotherapy for arteriovenous malformations...
- MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH SUSPECTED PULMONARY EMBOLISHSuman Rathbun; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Activation of clotting & cell adhesion: gas embolismDavid M Eckmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work is the basis for neuroprotection in gas embolism-induced stroke, a persistent, growing health threat without treatment. ..
- Otosclerosis-A Molecular Genetic StudyRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Optical Detection of Barrett's Under Squamous EpitheliumMichael Kimmey; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Hinxton Retreat Workshop on Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis Type IIRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hinxton Conference of Excellence - Dense Deposit Disease: Therapeutic OptionsRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will also publish the proceedings of this meeting and hope this publication will foster continued interest in developing DDD-specific therapies to treat patients with this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification and characterization of the DFNB17 geneJohn Greinwald; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis WorkshopRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- UGI Hemorrhage and Barrett's EpitheliumDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award will continue to enhance the applicant's research productivity and provide skilled mentoring for young investigators, so they can become independent patient-oriented investigators in digestive diseases. ..