Summary: The use of multiple drugs administered to the same patient, most commonly seen in elderly patients. It includes also the administration of excessive medication. Since in the United States most drugs are dispensed as single-agent formulations, polypharmacy, though using many drugs administered to the same patient, must be differentiated from DRUG COMBINATIONS, single preparations containing two or more drugs as a fixed dose, and from DRUG THERAPY, COMBINATION, two or more drugs administered separately for a combined effect. (From Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications289 found, 100 shown here
- Polypharmacy in elderly patientsEmily R Hajjar
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 5:345-51. 2007b>Polypharmacy (ie, the use of multiple medications and/or the administration of more medications than are clinically indicated, representing unnecessary drug use) is common among the elderly.
- Polypharmacy and inappropriate medication use in Singapore nursing homesK Mamun
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:49-52. 2004..They suffer from multiple co-morbidities requiring multiple medication use. Polypharmacy and inappropriate medication use have been considered as quality indicators for nursing home care...
- National trends in psychotropic medication polypharmacy in office-based psychiatryRamin Mojtabai
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Room 797, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:26-36. 2010Psychotropic medication polypharmacy is common in psychiatric outpatient settings and, in some patient groups, may have increased in recent years.
- Antipsychotic polypharmacy in outpatients at Birch Hill Hospital: incidence and adherence to guidelinesNadezda Ranceva
Western Health and Social Care NHS Trust, Omagh, Co Tyrone, United Kingdom
J Clin Pharmacol 50:699-704. 2010..of this article is to determine prescribing rates and adherence to guidelines with regard to antipsychotic polypharmacy, high-dose prescribing, and sedative use in an outpatient population...
- Polypharmacy cutoff and outcomes: five or more medicines were used to identify community-dwelling older men at risk of different adverse outcomesDanijela Gnjidic
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, 11C Main Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 65:989-95. 2012..This study aimed to determine an optimal discriminating number of concomitant medications associated with geriatric syndromes, functional outcomes, and mortality in community-dwelling older men...
- Interventions to improve the appropriate use of polypharmacy for older peopleSusan M Patterson
Health and Social Care Board, Belfast, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 5:CD008165. 2012Inappropriate polypharmacy is a particular concern in older people and is associated with negative health outcomes...
- Antipsychotic polypharmacy in schizophrenia: benefits and risksThomas R E Barnes
Division of Experimental Medicine, Centre for Mental Health, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Campus, London, UK
CNS Drugs 25:383-99. 2011Antipsychotic polypharmacy refers to the co-prescription of more than one antipsychotic drug for an individual patient...
- Prevention of potentially inappropriate prescribing for elderly patients: a randomized controlled trial using STOPP/START criteriaP F Gallagher
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 89:845-54. 2011..Unnecessary polypharmacy, the use of drugs at incorrect doses, and potential drug-drug and drug-disease interactions were significantly ..
- Comorbidity profile of dementia patients in primary care: are they sicker?Cathy C Schubert
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:104-9. 2006..To compare the medical comorbidity of older patients with and without dementia in primary care...
- Polypharmacy with antipsychotics, antidepressants, or benzodiazepines and mortality in schizophreniaJari Tiihonen
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Eastern Finland, Niuvanniemi Hospital, FI 70240 Kuopio, Finland
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:476-83. 2012b>Polypharmacy is widely used in the treatment of schizophrenia, although it is believed to have major adverse effects on the well-being of patients.
- Persistent antipsychotic polypharmacy and excessive dosing in the community psychiatric treatment setting: a review of medication profiles in 435 Canadian outpatientsRic M Procyshyn
British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Research Institute, A3 113, 938 W 28th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V5Z 4H4
J Clin Psychiatry 71:566-73. 2010The present study aimed (1) to determine the proportion of patients treated with persistent antipsychotic polypharmacy in an outpatient population and (2) to determine if persistent antipsychotic polypharmacy is associated with excessive ..
- Prevalence and correlates of antipsychotic polypharmacy: a systematic review and meta-regression of global and regional trends from the 1970s to 2009Juan A Gallego
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY, USA
Schizophr Res 138:18-28. 2012To assess the prevalence and correlates of antipsychotic polypharmacy (APP) across decades and regions.
- Trends in comorbidity, disability, and polypharmacy in heart failureCatherine Y Wong
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
Am J Med 124:136-43. 2011Comorbidity, disability, and polypharmacy commonly complicate the care of patients with heart failure...
- Determinants of polypharmacy and compliance with GOLD guidelines in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseFrits M E Franssen
Program Development Center, CIRO, Center of Expertise for Chronic Organ Failure, Horn, The Netherlands
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:493-501. 2011b>Polypharmacy of respiratory medications is commonly observed in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Managing medications in clinically complex elders: "There's got to be a happy medium"Michael A Steinman
Division of Geriatrics, University of California, San Francisco, and the San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
JAMA 304:1592-601. 2010..It also describes a systematic approach for how health professionals can assess and improve medication regimens to benefit patients and their caregivers and families...
- Polypharmacy and prescribing quality in older peopleMichael A Steinman
Division of Geriatrics, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1516-23. 2006..To evaluate the relationship between inappropriate prescribing, medication underuse, and the total number of medications used by patients...
- Antiretroviral therapy adherence and drug-drug interactions in the aging HIV populationJean B Nachega
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
AIDS 26:S39-53. 2012..As a result, medical management of the aging HIV population can be complicated by polypharmacy and higher pill burden, leading to poorer antiretroviral therapy (ART) adherence...
- Association of polypharmacy with nutritional status, functional ability and cognitive capacity over a three-year period in an elderly populationJohanna Jyrkkä
Kuopio Research Centre of Geriatric Care, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 20:514-22. 2011To determine the association of polypharmacy with nutritional status, functional ability and cognitive capacity among elderly persons.
- Polypharmacy and inappropriate prescribing in elderly internal-medicine patients in AustriaJochen Schuler
Department of Cardiology and Internal Intensive Care, Salzburger Landeskliniken, Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:733-41. 2008The aim of the study was to assess the prevalence of polypharmacy and inappropriate drug use in elderly internal-medicine patients in one Austrian center and to define the impact of these and other identified predictors on the occurrence ..
- Variation over time in the association between polypharmacy and mortality in the older populationKathryn Richardson
Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Drugs Aging 28:547-60. 2011..In the older population, multimorbidity is common and 'best practice' may invite the prescription of multiple medications...
- Reduction of polypharmacy in the elderly: a systematic review of the role of the pharmacistVictoria Rollason
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Drugs Aging 20:817-32. 2003b>Polypharmacy in the elderly complicates therapy, increases cost, and is a challenge for healthcare agencies...
- Antipsychotic combinations vs monotherapy in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsChristoph U Correll
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, Glen Oaks, New York, NY 11004, USA
Schizophr Bull 35:443-57. 2009..Despite lacking evidence for its safety and efficacy, antipsychotic cotreatment is common in schizophrenia...
- Polypharmacy correlates with increased risk for hip fracture in the elderly: a population-based studyShih Wei Lai
Department of Family Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung City, Taiwan
Medicine (Baltimore) 89:295-9. 2010Few studies have addressed the association between polypharmacy and hip fracture using population data...
- Polypharmacy as commonly defined is an indicator of limited value in the assessment of drug-related problemsKirsten K Viktil
Diakonhjemmet Hospital Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Br J Clin Pharmacol 63:187-95. 2007To investigate whether polypharmacy defined as a definite number of drugs is a suitable indicator for describing the risk of occurrence of drug-related problems (DRPs) in a hospital setting.
- Polypharmacy: misleading, but manageableReamer L Bushardt
Department of Clinical Services, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Clin Interv Aging 3:383-9. 2008..The purpose of this study is to identify a consensus definition for polypharmacy and evaluate its prevalence among elderly outpatients...
- The effects of polypharmacy in older adultsS N Hilmer
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Pharmacol Ther 85:86-8. 2009
- Inappropriate prescribing in the hospitalized elderly patient: defining the problem, evaluation tools, and possible solutionsRobert L Page
Associate Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Physical Medicine, Clinical Specialist, Division of Cardiology and Heart Transplantation
Clin Interv Aging 5:75-87. 2010..This article highlights critical issues surrounding PIM prescribing in the acute care setting such as risk factors, screening tools, and potential strategies to minimize this significant public health problem...
- Inappropriate prescribing in older residents of Australian care homesA C Stafford
School of Pharmacy, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
J Clin Pharm Ther 36:33-44. 2011..We aimed to determine the prevalence of inappropriate prescribing in residents of Tasmanian (Australia) residential care homes using Beers and McLeod criteria...
- Medication use and associated risk of falling in a geriatric outpatient populationKathryn N Freeland
Department of Pharmacy Services, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Ann Pharmacother 46:1188-92. 2012..Many studies indicate that use of multiple medications may put patients at an increased risk of falling, but few studies have been conducted to correlate the number of medications with the risk of falls...
- Qualitative insights into general practitioners views on polypharmacySibyl Anthierens
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute and Centre for Primary Care, University of Antwerp, Belgium
BMC Fam Pract 11:65. 2010b>Polypharmacy is common among older people. The purpose of this study is to describe GPs' views and beliefs on polypharmacy in order to identify the role of the GP in relation to improving prescribing behaviour...
- Frequency of medication errors in primary care patients with polypharmacyDara Koper
Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria
Fam Pract 30:313-9. 2013..Prescription medication use increases with age. Depending on definition, 25-80% of elderly are exposed to polypharmacy. Polypharmacy increases the risk of hospitalization, interactions and adverse drug reactions.
- Factors leading to excessive polypharmacyBo Hovstadius
eHealth Institute, Linnaeus University, Bredbandet 1, PO SE 391 82 Kalmar, Sweden
Clin Geriatr Med 28:159-72. 2012There are numerous risk factors for patients to develop excessive polypharmacy. The most prominent risk factors are associated with sociodemographics and the patients’ conditions...
- Prevalence of comedications and effect of potential drug-drug interactions in the Swiss HIV Cohort StudyCatia Marzolini
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Antivir Ther 15:413-23. 2010Potential drug-drug interactions (PDDIs) might expand with new combination antiretroviral therapies (ART) and polypharmacy related to increasing age and comorbidities...
- HIV and aging: state of knowledge and areas of critical need for research. A report to the NIH Office of AIDS Research by the HIV and Aging Working GroupKevin P High
Department of Internal Medicine, Section on Infectious Diseases, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1042, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 60:S1-18. 2012..Key overarching themes identified by the group included the following: multimorbidity, polypharmacy, and the need to emphasize maintenance of function; the complexity of assessing HIV versus treatment effects ..
- Antipsychotic polypharmacy, part 1: Shotgun approach or targeted cotreatment?Christoph U Correll
Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:674-5. 2008
- The evolution of antipsychotic switch and polypharmacy in natural practice--a longitudinal perspectiveChisa Tsutsumi
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Schizophr Res 130:40-6. 2011..with schizophrenia first start with a single antipsychotic, and yet most finally end up 'switching' or using 'polypharmacy'...
- Polypharmacy in the elderly: a literature reviewMaryann M Fulton
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 17:123-32. 2005To review the body of literature addressing polypharmacy in individuals aged 60 years and older to (a) determine primary care providers' definition of polypharmacy, (b) explore how polypharmacy was assessed in primary care, and (c) seek ..
- Medication as a risk factor for falls: critical systematic reviewSirpa Hartikainen
School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Geriatrics, University of Kuopio, Finland
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:1172-81. 2007..Medication use is a potential cause of falls. Our aim was to systemically review all original articles examining medication use as a risk factor for falls or fall-related fractures in people aged >/=60 years...
- "I don't know how many of these [medicines] are necessary.." - a focus group study among elderly users of multiple medicinesJanne Moen
Department of Pharmacy, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Patient Educ Couns 74:135-41. 2009..The growing prevalence of multiple medicine use among elderly challenges health care. The aim was to conduct an exploratory study describing multiple medicine use from the elderly patient's perspective...
- Prevalence and determinants of pharmacy shopping behaviourH Buurma
SIR Institute for Pharmacy Practice and Policy, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Pharm Ther 33:17-23. 2008..Little is known about the continuity of care related to pharmacies. Therefore, we studied the prevalence and determinants of pharmacy shopping behaviour in the Netherlands...
- Use of medications and polypharmacy are increasing among the elderlyTarja Linjakumpu
University of Oulu, Department of Psychiatry, P O Box 5000, Peltolantie 5, Finland
J Clin Epidemiol 55:809-17. 2002To assess changes in medicine use and polypharmacy, two cross-sectional surveys were carried out among community-dwelling persons aged 64 years or over in 1990-91 (n = 1,131) and 1998-99 (n = 1,197) in the municipality of Lieto in ..
- Polypharmacy status as an indicator of mortality in an elderly populationJohanna Jyrkkä
School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Drugs Aging 26:1039-48. 2009Increased use of drugs has raised concern about the risks of polypharmacy in elderly populations. Adverse outcomes, such as hospitalizations and falls, have been shown to be associated with polypharmacy...
- [Polypharmacy and psychotropic drugs as risk factors for falls in long-term care setting for elderly patients in Lombardy]Federico Baranzini
Sezione di Psichiatria, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, Varese
Recenti Prog Med 100:9-16. 2009Aim of the study was to investigate polypharmacy and psychotropic drugs as risk factors for falls in a Long-term Care Setting for elderly patients...
- Increasing use of medicines in elderly persons: a five-year follow-up of the Kuopio 75+StudyJohanna Jyrkkä
Department of Social Pharmacy, University of Kuopio, Box 1627, FIN, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 62:151-8. 2006The aim of this study was to describe the changes in medicine use, polypharmacy and excessive polypharmacy between 1998 and 2003 among a cohort of elderly Finns.
- Feasibility study of a systematic approach for discontinuation of multiple medications in older adults: addressing polypharmacyDoron Garfinkel
Geriatric Palliative Department, Shoham Geriatric Medical Center, Pardes Hana, Israel
Arch Intern Med 170:1648-54. 2010b>Polypharmacy and inappropriate medication use is a problem in elderly patients, who are more likely to experience adverse effects from multiple treatments and less likely to obtain the same therapeutic benefit as younger populations...
- Drug utilization and polypharmacy in an Italian elderly population: the EPIFARM-elderly projectAlessandro Nobili
Laboratory of Quality Assessment of Geriatric Therapies and Services, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 20:488-96. 2011To investigate the prescribing patterns and the prevalence of polypharmacy in community-dwelling elderly people, and to analyze the association of chronic medications and number of drug prescriptions with age and sex.
- Polypharmacy in the HIV-infected older adult populationLauren J Gleason
Division of Geriatrics and Aging, Highland Hospital, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Clin Interv Aging 8:749-63. 2013..Older HIV-infected patients are particularly at risk for polypharmacy because they often have multiple comorbidities that require pharmacotherapy...
- Polypharmacy in nursing home residents in the United States: results of the 2004 National Nursing Home SurveyLisa L Dwyer
National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Maryland 20782, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 8:63-72. 2010Despite the need for and benefits of medications, polypharmacy (defined here as concurrent use of > or =9 medications) in nursing home residents is a concern...
- Discontinuing medications: a novel approach for revising the prescribing stage of the medication-use processKevin T Bain
Department of Quality Outcomes, excelleRx Inc, An Omnicare Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1946-52. 2008..This framework has substantial practice and research implications, especially for the clinical care of older persons, who are particularly susceptible to the adverse effects of medications...
- Outcomes of polypharmacy in nursing home residentsBruce K Tamura
Department of Geriatric Medicine, The John A Hartford Center of Excellence in Geriatrics, Honolulu, HI 96817, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 28:217-36. 2012This article provides a comprehensive review of the outcomes of polypharmacy in nursing homes. Our review had some limitations. First, we only included studies beginning in 1990, and significant earlier studies are not included...
- Polypharmacy in nursing home in Europe: results from the SHELTER studyGraziano Onder
Centro Medicina dell Invecchiamento, Dipartimento di Scienze Gerontologiche, Geriatriche e Fisiatriche, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Largo F Vito 1, 00168, Roma, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 67:698-704. 2012This study assesses prevalence and patients characteristics related to polypharmacy in a sample of nursing home residents.
- Polypharmacy, adverse drug reactions, and geriatric syndromesBhavik M Shah
Jefferson School of Pharmacy, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 28:173-86. 2012The elderly are at risk for polypharmacy, which is associated with significant consequences such as adverse effects, medication nonadherence, drug-drug and drug-disease interactions, and increased risk of geriatric syndromes...
- Factors associated with polypharmacy in nursing home residentsBruce K Tamura
The John A Hartford Center of Excellence in Geriatrics, Department of Geriatric Medicine, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96817, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 28:199-216. 2012The prevalence of polypharmacy is very high in the nursing home setting...
- Analysis of the North Carolina long-term care polypharmacy initiative: a multiple-cohort approach using propensity-score matching for both evaluation and targetingTroy K Trygstad
Community Care of North Carolina, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Clin Ther 31:2018-37. 2009The high cost and undesirable consequences of polypharmacy are well-recognized problems among elderly long-term care (LTC) residents...
- Deprescribing trials: methods to reduce polypharmacy and the impact on prescribing and clinical outcomesDanijela Gnjidic
Departments of Clinical Pharmacology and Aged Care, 11C Main Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards NSW 2065, Australia
Clin Geriatr Med 28:237-53. 2012..Large RCTs evaluating multidisciplinary interventions and clinical outcomes of changes in medicines regimen across different settings are required to confirm the findings of the studies performed so far...
- Medication adherence to multidrug regimensZachary A Marcum
Department of Medicine Geriatrics, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 28:287-300. 2012..Only then can we begin to make significant improvements to the medication use process and, in turn, the health of older adults...
- Risk factors for adverse drug events among nursing home residentsT S Field
Meyers Primary Care Institute, 100 Central St, Worcester, MA 01608, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:1629-34. 2001..In a prospective study of nursing home residents, we found adverse drug events (ADEs) to be common, serious, and often preventable. To direct prevention efforts at high-risk residents, information is needed on resident-level risk factors...
- Multimorbidity, polypharmacy, referrals, and adverse drug events: are we doing things well?Amaia Calderón-Larrañaga
Aragón Health Sciences Institute IACS, IIS Aragón, Miguel Servet University Hospital, University of Zaragoza, Spain
Br J Gen Pract 62:e821-6. 2012The consequences of multimorbidity include polypharmacy and repeated referrals for specialised care, which may increase the risk of adverse drug events (ADEs).
- Impact of geriatric comorbidity and polypharmacy on cholinesterase inhibitors prescribing in dementiaFalk Hoffmann
University of Bremen, Centre for Social Policy Research, Division Health Economics, Health Policy and Outcomes Research, Bremen, Germany
BMC Psychiatry 11:190. 2011..We aimed to study if geriatric comorbidity and polypharmacy influence the prescription of ChEIs in patients with dementia in Germany.
- Polypharmacy in elderly patients with cancer: clinical implications and managementJudith Lees
Royal Adelaide Hospital Cancer Centre, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Lancet Oncol 12:1249-57. 2011..targeted agents and drugs for treatment of cancer symptoms or toxic effects related to treatment can result in polypharmacy. We examine the clinical implications of polypharmacy...
- Potentially inappropriate medications in geriatric outpatients with polypharmacy: application of six sets of published explicit criteriaChirn Bin Chang
Department of Internal Medicine, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
Br J Clin Pharmacol 72:482-9. 2011Our aim was to compare the practicability of six different potentially inappropriate medication (PIM) criteria in geriatric outpatients with polypharmacy.
- Antipsychotic polypharmacy in patients with schizophrenia in a brief hospitalization unitIvan Lerma-Carrillo
Acute Inpatients Unit, Dr R Lafora Psychiatric Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Clin Neuropharmacol 31:319-32. 2008..Only 2 of the main clinical guides recommend the use of antipsychotic polypharmacy (AP) for those patients refractory to monotherapy...
- Polypharmacy increases the risk of Parkinson's disease in older people in Taiwan: a population-based studyShih Wei Lai
School of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Psychogeriatrics 11:150-6. 2011Little is known about the relationship between polypharmacy and Parkinson's disease (PD). In the present study, we tested the hypothesis that polypharmacy increases the risk of PD in older people in Taiwan.
- Effectiveness of switching from antipsychotic polypharmacy to monotherapySusan M Essock
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:702-8. 2011This randomized trial addressed the risks and benefits of staying on antipsychotic polypharmacy or switching to monotherapy.
- Prevalence of polypharmacy exposure among hospitalized children in the United StatesChris Feudtner
Center for Pediatric Clinical Effectiveness, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 10104, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:9-16. 2012..To assess the prevalence and patterns of exposure to drugs and therapeutic agents among hospitalized pediatric patients...
- Polypharmacy, length of hospital stay, and in-hospital mortality among elderly patients in internal medicine wards. The REPOSI studyAlessandro Nobili
Laboratory for Quality Assessment of Geriatric Therapies and Services, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, via Giuseppe La Masa, 19, 20156 Milan, Italy
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 67:507-19. 2011We evaluated the prevalence and factors associated with polypharmacy and investigated the role of polypharmacy as a predictor of length of hospital stay and in-hospital mortality.
- Polypharmacy and its correlates in village health clinics across 10 provinces of Western ChinaLifang Dong
Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Xi an Jiaotong University College of Medicine, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, PR China
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:549-53. 2010b>Polypharmacy represents a growing public health concern for its associations with drug-related adverse events, poor adherence, medication errors and increased healthcare costs.
- Safety and tolerability of antipsychotic polypharmacyJuan A Gallego
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, North Shore LIJ Health System, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
Expert Opin Drug Saf 11:527-42. 2012Antipsychotic polypharmacy (APP), the concomitant use of ≥ 2 antipsychotics, is common in clinical practice...
- Polypharmacy in pregnant women with major psychiatric illness: a pilot studyKathleen S Peindl
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University, Durham, NC 27705, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 13:385-92. 2007..6 medications per woman. The present descriptive study examined patterns of medication use across pregnancy in a low socioeconomic status population of women who had a psychiatric illness as a primary diagnosis...
- Polypharmacy in the elderly: can comprehensive geriatric assessment reduce inappropriate medication use?Giuseppe Sergi
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Geriatrics Division, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Drugs Aging 28:509-18. 2011b>Polypharmacy is a problem of growing interest in geriatrics with the increase in drug consumption in recent years, particularly among people aged >65 years...
- Polypharmacy in psychiatric practice in the Canary IslandsCarlos De las Cuevas
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
BMC Psychiatry 4:18. 2004b>Polypharmacy with psychoactive drugs is an increasingly common and debatable contemporary practice in clinical psychiatry based more upon experience than evidence...
- Antipsychotic polypharmacy: evidence based or eminence based?S M Stahl
Acta Psychiatr Scand 106:321-2. 2002
- Polypharmacy with oral antidiabetic agents: an indicator of poor glycemic controlCynthia J Willey
Meyers Primary Care Institute, 630 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:435-40. 2006..To evaluate antidiabetic drug treatment patterns and glycemic control among patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Polypharmacy and potential inappropriateness of pharmaco-logical treatment among community-dwelling elderly patientsA Rajska-Neumann
Laboratory for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Department of Pathophysiology, University of Medical Sciences, Swiecickiego St 6, 60 781 Poznan, Poland
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 44:303-9. 2007In this study, we describe the phenomenon of polypharmacy and the frequency of the potential inappropriate medication use, according to the criteria of Beers (Beers, M.H...
- Cost of antipsychotic polypharmacy in the treatment of schizophreniaBaojin Zhu
Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
BMC Psychiatry 8:19. 2008This study compared the costs of antipsychotic polypharmacy for patients who initiated on 1 of the 3 most commonly prescribed atypical antipsychotics - olanzapine, quetiapine, or risperidone.
- Polypharmacy, aging and potential drug-drug interactions in outpatients in Taiwan: a retrospective computerized screening studyChen Fang Lin
Department of Pharmacy, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Drugs Aging 28:219-25. 2011b>Polypharmacy is common in outpatients and has been identified as a major risk factor for drug-drug interactions (DDIs), which are an important cause of adverse drug reactions...
- Is the number of prescribing physicians an independent risk factor for adverse drug events in an elderly outpatient population?Jacqueline L Green
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 5:31-9. 2007..It appears that the elderly are at greater risk of ADEs because they use more medications, have less specific presentations, and have more chronic conditions than younger populations...
- Medication-related problems in the elderly : defining the issues and identifying solutionsWilliam Simonson
Independent Consultant Pharmacist, Suffolk, Virginia 23435, USA
Drugs Aging 22:559-69. 2005....
- Discrepancies in reported drug use in geriatric outpatients: relevance to adverse events and drug-drug interactionsLinda R Tulner
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Slotervaart Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 7:93-104. 2009Increased age is associated with polypharmacy. Polypharmacy is a risk factor for severe adverse drug reactions (ADRs) and is associated with an increased risk of mortality.
- Patterns of drug use and factors associated with polypharmacy and excessive polypharmacy in elderly persons: results of the Kuopio 75+ study: a cross-sectional analysisJohanna Jyrkkä
School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Drugs Aging 26:493-503. 2009Although the increasing use of drugs in elderly persons has raised many concerns in recent years, the process leading to polypharmacy (PP) and excessive polypharmacy (EPP) remains largely unknown.
- Polypharmacy as a risk factor for adverse drug reactions in geriatric nursing home residentsJulia K Nguyen
Kaiser Permanente Woodland Hills Medical Center, Woodland Hills, California 91367, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 4:36-41. 2006b>Polypharmacy is a well-known risk factor for adverse drug reactions (ADRs)...
- The patient who falls: "It's always a trade-off"Mary E Tinetti
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine Section of Geriatrics, 333 Cedar St, PO Box 208025, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
JAMA 303:258-66. 2010..While challenges and barriers exist, fall prevention strategies can be incorporated into clinical practice...
- Exposure to potentially inappropriate drugs and drug-drug interactions in elderly nursing home residents in Helsinki, Finland: a cross-sectional studyHelka M V Hosia-Randell
Research and Development Unit for Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 25:683-92. 2008....
- Polypharmacy with second-generation antipsychotics: a review of evidenceAnand K Pandurangi
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 14:345-67. 2008The objective of this study was to review the prevalence of polypharmacy with second-generation antipsychotics (SGAs) in clinical practice, pharmacological reasons for such practice, and the evidence for and against such polypharmacy.
- Prescribing for older peopleJames C Milton
Clinical Age Research Unit, Department of Clinical Gerontology, King s College Hospital Foundation Trust, London SE5 9PJ
BMJ 336:606-9. 2008
- Schizophrenia, neuroleptic medication and mortalityMatti Joukamaa
Department of Social Psychiatry, Tampere School of Public Health, University of Tampere, FIN 33014, Finland
Br J Psychiatry 188:122-7. 2006..There is an excess of death from natural causes among people with schizophrenia...
- Polypharmacy and excessive dosing: psychiatrists' perceptions of antipsychotic drug prescriptionHiroto Ito
National Institute of Mental Health, Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Psychiatry 187:243-7. 2005Despite extensive research and recommendations regarding the optimal prescription of antipsychotic drugs, polypharmacy and excessive dosing still prevail.
- Simultaneous prescribing of atypical antipsychotics, conventional antipsychotics and anticholinergics-a European studyW J Broekema
Symfora group, Centres for Mental Healthcare, Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Pharm World Sci 29:126-30. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate to what extent atypical antipsychotics, conventional antipsychotics and anticholinergics are prescribed simultaneously in daily clinical practice in Europe...
- Drug therapy of the metabolic syndrome: minimizing the emerging crisis in polypharmacyScott M Grundy
Center for Human Nutrition and Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Y3 206, Dallas, Texas 75390 9052, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 5:295-309. 2006..strategies that might target multiple risk factors more effectively, thereby minimizing problems with polypharmacy. This review summarizes current understanding of the nature of the metabolic syndrome, and discusses each of ..
- The challenge of polypharmacy in cardiovascular medicineMassimo Volpe
Cardiology Department, IInd School of Medicine, University of Rome Sapienza, S Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 24:9-17. 2010..However, the chronic use of five or more medications, defined as polypharmacy, has shown to be neither always efficacious nor safe...
- Increasing polypharmacy - an individual-based study of the Swedish population 2005-2008Bo Hovstadius
eHealth Institute, Linnaeus University, Kalmar, Sweden
BMC Clin Pharmacol 10:16. 2010An increase in the use of drugs and polypharmacy have been displayed over time in spite of the fact that polypharmacy represents a well known risk factor as regards patients' health due to the adverse drug reactions, drug-drug ..
- Refill adherence and polypharmacy among patients with type 2 diabetes in general practiceRykel van Bruggen
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:983-91. 2009..A relationship has been established between polypharmacy and patients' adherence...
- Health outcomes and polypharmacy in elderly individuals: an integrated literature reviewSusan C Frazier
Partners Home Care, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 31:4-11. 2005The purpose of this integrated literature review was to determine the extent of research available related to polypharmacy and its effect on the health outcomes of the elderly population...
- Devolving of statin prescribing to general practitioners for HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapyP D Benn
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Camden PCT, The Mortimer Market Centre, off Capper Street, London WC1E 6JB
Int J STD AIDS 20:202-4. 2009..is likely to become more complex as people age, developing multiple medical conditions and thus requiring polypharmacy. We undertook a casenote review and interview of patients on antiretroviral therapy (ART) to audit the safety ..
- Functional decline associated with polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medications in community-dwelling older adults with dementiaDenys T Lau
Department of Pharmacy Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Pharmacy, 60612, USA
Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 26:606-15. 2011This study provides empirical evidence on whether polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate prescription medications (PIRx, as defined by the 2003 Beers criteria) increase the likelihood of functional decline among community-dwelling ..
- Serotonin syndrome associated with polypharmacy in the elderlyBrian D Poeschla
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 33:301.e9-11. 2011..Caution should be used, especially in the elderly, to avoid unnecessary and potentially harmful polypharmacy. We describe a case of serotonin syndrome in a 79-year-old man taking mirtazapine, venlafaxine and quetiapine...
- Effects of polypharmacy on sleep in psychiatric inpatientsFlavie Waters
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Schizophr Res 139:225-8. 2012..Altogether, the results support the case for more systematic screening and interventions for sleep problems in patients with severe psychiatric illness...
- [Influence of income on the association between cognitive impairment and polypharmacy: Bambuí Project]Antônio I de Loyola Filho
Núcleo de Estudos em Saúde Pública e Envelhecimento, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 42:89-99. 2008To evaluate the prevalence of polypharmacy and the influence of income on the association between medication use and cognitive impairment among elderly people.
- Adverse drug events in the elderly population admitted to a tertiary care hospitalNahid Azad
Faculty of Medicine, Geriatric Assessment Unit, Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus, Canada
J Healthc Manag 47:295-305; discussion 305-6. 2002..Prospective data are missing, adverse drug events are poorly described, and analytical methods are questionable. This leads to problems with imprecise estimates and generalizability of results...
- Adverse outcomes associated with inappropriate drug use in nursing homesMatthew Perri
College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 0002, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:405-11. 2005..Little empirical evidence exists regarding the influence and outcomes of inappropriate medication use among elderly nursing home residents...
- Anticancer drug therapy in the older cancer patient: pharmacology and polypharmacyStuart M Lichtman
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 9:191-203. 2008..A careful assessment of medication used in older patients needs to be part of routine evaluation to minimize the adverse effects of polypharmacy.
- DELIRIUM IN PERSONS WITH DEMENTIADonna Fick; Fiscal Year: 2007..potential risk factors that will be examined are divided into 3 major axes of related variables, including: 1) polypharmacy (central nervous system-active medications, number of medications, new medications added), 2) physical ..
- Optimizing Chronic Disease Prevention and Management in Advanced DementiaJennifer Tjia; Fiscal Year: 2010..of care, increase the risk of adverse drug events and drug-drug interactions, are costly, and contribute to polypharmacy. Efforts to improve prescribing in advanced dementia are hampered by a lack of studies examining medication ..
- Heat Waves, Medication Use, and Adverse Health Outcomes Among Older AdultsSOKO SETOGUCHI-IWATA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given the high prevalence of medication use and polypharmacy among older persons, it is important to understand the combined impact of medication use and heat waves...
- Longitudinal Impact of Antihypertensive Polypharmacy on Geriatric SyndromesJoseph T Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., polypharmacy) to control blood pressure may have...
- Statewide Intervention to Reduce Early Mortality in Persons with Mental IllnessStephen J Bartels; Fiscal Year: 2013..claims to encourage decreased use of antipsychotic agents with high weight-gain propensity and decreased use of polypharmacy. NH's implementation of this two-component intervention (health promotion plus academic detailing, HP+AD) ..
- Reasons for the Excess Mortality and Functional Decline in Older Adults with CKDCHRISTOPHER BARRETT BOWLING; Fiscal Year: 2013..factors are part of the comprehensive geriatric assessment and include cognitive impairment, depression, falls, polypharmacy and poor physical performance...
- Structural Basis of Cytochrome P450 ActivityEmily E Scott; Fiscal Year: 2013..bind and are metabolized by these enzymes is of great practical value in toxicology, chemoprevention, and polypharmacy. Building on existing knowledge in the biochemistry and structural biology of human cytochrome P450 2A and 2E1 ..
- Rational polytherapy in the treatment of cholinergic seizuresClaude G Wasterlain; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal is based on the hypothesis that in the treatment of cholinergic seizures, polypharmacy is superior to monotherapy...
- Diabetes and Aging in a Multi-Ethnic PopulationAndrew John Karter; Fiscal Year: 2013..of hypoglycemia and geriatric syndromes;iii) evaluate the effects of antihyperglycemic therapies and polypharmacy on hypoglycemia, geriatric syndromes, and mortality;iv) create a generalized prediction model for 5-year, all-..
- TRAINING IN THE EPIDEMIOLOGY OF AGINGAnne B Newman; Fiscal Year: 2013..emphasis on longitudinal and survival analysis, evaluation of heterogeneity and confounding by comorbidity and polypharmacy, assessment of functional health outcomes, and clinical trial methodology in older populations...
- Mechanisms of Extinction of Conditioned Fear by Vagus Nerve StimulationCHRISTA MCINTYRE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Attempts to treat the variety of symptoms that can arise in complex anxiety disorders with polypharmacy increase the potential for dangerous interactions...
- AGS Guiding Principles for the Care of Older Adults with Multimorbidity: A MobileNancy Lundebjerg; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., polypharmacy)...
- Do Patient Requests Affect Doctor's Decisions? A Complementary Experimental and QJohn B McKinlay; Fiscal Year: 2012..Third, polypharmacy (especially pain medications) is of increasing concern in the US, particularly among older patients with ..
- Longitudinal Impact of Antihypertensive Polypharmacy on Geriatric SyndromesJoseph T Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Multiple drug use or polypharmacy due to medications from different classes that share similar pharmacological side effects is of concern in older adults...
- Biomarkers for Early Therapeutic Response in Older RA PatientsVeena K Ranganath; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) Determine the clinical characteristics specific to the older RA population (comorbidity measures, age, polypharmacy) that predict whether or not he/she will achieve minimal disease activity (MDA;DAS28/ESR<2...
- Health IT decision support to improve medication management safety and qualityGerardo Moreno; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): For older adults, polypharmacy is a major safety issue with serious economic implications. Dr...
- Creation and demonstration of a palliative care research cooperative groupJean S Kutner; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., hospitalization for cardiovascular events), symptoms, polypharmacy, satisfaction with care, quality of life, and cost when statins are withdrawn vs. continued...
- Accelerating Utilization of CE Findings in Medicaid Mental HealthStephen Crystal; Fiscal Year: 2010..target areas have been identified for measurement and intervention based on CE evidence: mental health drug polypharmacy;management of metabolic risks of antipsychotics;antipsychotic utilization for children under age six;higher ..
- Evaluating Psychotropic Oversight on the Safety of Children in Foster CareTHOMAS I MACKIE; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., 'polypharmacy') and psychotropic use among young children...
- Pharmacoepidemiology of Urologic SymptomsSUSAN AUDREY HALL; Fiscal Year: 2010..it is important to study whether urologic problems are an iatrogenic consequence of medication use and/or polypharmacy. The research intent of this application is to use existing data from the Boston Area Community Health (BACH) ..
- Improving Medication Therapy for Older Patients with Common Co-morbiditiesJanice B Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Consumption of multiple medications or "polypharmacy" puts the older patient at increased risk for drug interactions and hospitalizations due to drug-related ..
- Translational Research on Alcohol, Immunodeficiency, and Aging In COMpAAASAMY CAROLINE JUSTICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..HIV, alcohol use, multimorbidity and polypharmacy resulting from HIV and multimorbidity can cause direct organ system injury...
- Demonstration of Quality Improvement of Medication Therapy Management ServicesWilliam R Doucette; Fiscal Year: 2012..We see prevalent adverse drug events (ADEs), polypharmacy, and growing costs for medications for Medicare Part D...
- Function-Based Analysis of Psychotrophic Effects on Problem Behavior in IDDMaria G Valdovinos; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., polypharmacy)...
- The Risk of Polypharmacy-related Fracture in Older AdultsNancy E Morden; Fiscal Year: 2013..While polypharmacy is increasingly common, research on this topic is surprisingly sparse...
- Health Outcome Effects of Common Medications in Elders with Multiple ConditionsMary E Tinetti; Fiscal Year: 2013..From a clinical perspective, this line of investigation eventually will allow an evidence-based approach to polypharmacy for patients with MCC by identifying medications with the best overall benefits...
- AGING EFFECT ON DRUG BIOAVAILABILITYStephen Hall; Fiscal Year: 1999..In part due to the polypharmacy that the elderly experience, there is a high incidence of drug-drug interactions in this group which is also ..
- Management of Excessive Psychotropic Medication for Youth in Out-of-Home CareJonathan C Huefner; Fiscal Year: 2011..percentage of youth in out-of- home care are on medications, with many of the medications being off-label and polypharmacy being common...
- Clinical Importance of Drug-Drug InteractionsSEAN P HENNESSY; Fiscal Year: 2013..This burden will increase further as the population ages and the degree of polypharmacy increases...
- Tai Chi Chih: Complementary Use to Achieve Remission in Geriatric DepressionHelen Lavretsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..via stress-reduction, improved physical functioning, increased socialization, and reduced risks of polypharmacy. However, there are no studies of mind-body interventions, such as Tai Chi Chih (TCC), used to complement the ..
- Development of Research Grade GoldensealRANDY BEAVERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..There is an underlying system of belief, yet relatively little supportive biomedical evidence, that the polypharmacy of complex botanicals provides distinct advantages over single-ingredient drugs...
- Prediction of Drug-Drug InteractionsZeruesenay Desta; Fiscal Year: 2007..Despite this ubiquitous polypharmacy and social impact of drug-drug interactions there has been no structured attempt to predict and therefore ..
- IRC FOR THE STUDY OF LATE-LIFE MOOD DISORDERSCharles Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2004..depression in later life be improved? And 6) What are the costs and benefits of combined treatment (either polypharmacy or medication plus psychotherapy) versus monotherapy? The IRC/LLMD will provide infrastructure support to a ..
- Nutritional Status of Community Dwelling EldersCHERYL CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. demographics, number of chronic illnesses, functional status, oral health, polypharmacy, presence of social support, loneliness, and depression) in predicting nutritional status of community-dwelling ..
- Optimizing Medication History Value in Clinical Encounters with Elderly PatientsKate Lapane; Fiscal Year: 2009..To develop geriatric-specific algorithms to identify potential issues with medication management (e.g. polypharmacy, potentially inappropriate medication use, duplicative therapy, nonadherence) using community-pharmacy ..
- Data Mining to Enhance Medical Research of Clincal DataPatricia Cerrito; Fiscal Year: 2004..longitudinal data collected during pharmacist-consultant review of patient databases to determine the extent of polypharmacy in patients in long-term and hospital care who were treated for cardiovascular conditions and other co-morbid ..
- Intelligent and Practical Geriatric Prescribing SystemsPAUL GERTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Over 17% of all geriatric hospitalizations are due to Adverse Drug Events (ADEs) and will increase as polypharmacy of chronic health conditions increases...
- POLYDRUG ABUSE-IMAGING AND BEHAVIORScott Lukas; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will use new strategy of combining two medications (polypharmacy) to address the multi-faceted nature of polydrug abuse...
- Understanding Prescription Decisions in SchizophreniaJulie Kreyenbuhl; Fiscal Year: 2007..My immediate career goal is to understand the prescription of complex, multi-drug regimens ('polypharmacy') in schizophrenia, focusing specifically on combination antipsychotic regimens in this application...
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Trials Network (CAPTN)John March; Fiscal Year: 2007..and combined drug treatments for which randomized evidence is absent and (2) the long-term safety of mono and polypharmacy. CAPTN will operate as a Center within the DCRI, an experienced academic research organization with extensive ..
- MOLECULAR POLYPHARMACY: Modulation of GABAA ReceptorsJAMES CELENTANO; Fiscal Year: 2001..This study will also add to the understanding of the GABAA receptor which is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter receptor in the central nervous system and the site of action of many toxic and therapeutic agents. ..
- Zolpidem and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Older AdultsKatie Stone; Fiscal Year: 2009..which may be influenced by a variety of factors including medical comorbidities, depression and anxiety, and polypharmacy. There is growing evidence that sleep disturbances may accelerate the aging process, increasing risks for a ..
- Crossing the Quality Chasm in Eastern Rural Kern CountyKiki Nocella; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reduce the incidence of polypharmacy and other issues of patient safety 5. Improve access and convenience to specialty care and ancillary services 6...
- Bisphosphonate therapy for HIV-Associated osteopeniaJeannie Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Given the polypharmacy often present in HIV-infected patients, we will also closely monitor the safety of zoledronate therapy and ..
- Race and Herbal Medications Among Medicare RecipientsWilliam Lafferty; Fiscal Year: 2004..prevalence of diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension in African-Americans makes this group vulnerable for polypharmacy. The frequency of herbal use in addition to prescriptions in African-American Medicare recipients is unknown...
- PHARMACY INTERVENTIONS FOR POLYPHARMACY IN THE ELDERLYJoseph Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 1992..interventions by a clinical pharmacist can improve drug use patterns in a elderly ambulatory population with polypharmacy. By enhancing patient compliance and reducing inappropriate prescribing, the health care of older patients ..
- IMPACT OF GERIATRIC CARE ON DRUG RELATED PROBLEMSKenneth Schmader; Fiscal Year: 2000..the elderly, including adverse drug events (ADEs) and adverse drug reactions (ADRs), inappropriate prescribing, polypharmacy, and undermedication...
- Trends and implications of polypharmacy: A case studyRobert LoCasale; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Prescription Drug Coverage and Health Outcomes in EldersJennifer Tjia; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Individualizing Diabetes Care for Older PeopleElbert Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Along with more research training, these studies will also help me reach my overall goal of becoming an independent investigator in the areas of geriatric diabetes and cost-effectiveness analysis. ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF TARDIVE DYSKINESIA DEVELOPMENTJohn Kane; Fiscal Year: 2001..This strategy will provide a rapid and cost-effective answer to a critical question. ..
- Clozapine Treatment of Schizophrenic PatientsRobert Buchanan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study will provide new information on the clinical utility of adjunctive risperidone in treatment-resistant patients who fail to adequately respond to clozapine. ..
- Course and Morbidity in Bipolar I DisorderRoss Baldessarini; Fiscal Year: 2006..Anticipated findings should contribute important new information to guide effective interventions and allocation of increasingly limited treatment resources for BPD patients. ..
- Apathy in Alzheimer's Disease Methylphenidate TrialPaul B Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study aims to develop a new treatment for apathy in AD that could decrease its debilitating consequences and reduce patients'dependency on caregivers, providing well-deserved relief to patients and their loved ones. ..
- Institute for Research Minority Training on Mental HealthJacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect this effort to be the incubator for a new generation of minority researchers dedicated to the study mental health and aging. ..
- The Effects of the Cannabinoid-1 Receptor Antagonist Rimonabant on Weight...Robert Buchanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..There should be direct evidence of efficacy and safety in these patients in order to provide truly effective treatments and further understanding of these disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PRICE: Pivotal Research in Cardiology in the ElderlyMichael Rich; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Advanced Centers for Interventions and Services ResearchRobert Buchanan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Depressoin in Alzheimer's Disease Study-2 (DIADS-2)Jacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Antidepressant discontinuation effectsRoss Baldessarini; Fiscal Year: 2007..bipolar depressive subjects separately. The findings expected should contribute to improved safety of antidepressant treatment and reduced morbid and mortal risks following its discontinuation. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MAINTENANCE TREATMENT FOR PREVENTION OF SMOKING RELAPSELirio Covey; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..