Genomes and Genes
Summary: Use of antibiotics before, during, or after a diagnostic, therapeutic, or surgical procedure to prevent infectious complications.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- Administration of cefazolin prior to skin incision is superior to cefazolin at cord clamping in preventing postcesarean infectious morbidity: a randomized, controlled trialScott A Sullivan
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:455.e1-5. 2007..The objective of the study was to determine whether the administration of cefazolin prior to skin incision was superior to administration at the time of umbilical cord clamping for the prevention of postcesarean infectious morbidity...
- Clinical impact of fluoroquinolone prophylaxis in neutropenic patients with hematological malignanciesYong Chong
Department of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Hara Sanshin Hospital, 1 8, Taihaku cho Hakata ku, Fukuoka, 812 0033, Japan
Int J Infect Dis 15:e277-81. 2011..This study assessed the effect of discontinuing quinolone prophylaxis on the etiology and the resistance pattern of blood culture isolates and on the prognosis among febrile neutropenic patients receiving chemotherapy...
- Meta-analysis: antibiotic prophylaxis reduces mortality in neutropenic patientsAnat Gafter-Gvili
Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Ann Intern Med 142:979-95. 2005..Trials have shown the efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in decreasing the incidence of bacterial infections but not in reducing mortality rates.
- Anthrax as a biological weapon, 2002: updated recommendations for managementThomas V Inglesby
Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
JAMA 287:2236-52. 2002..To review and update consensus-based recommendations for medical and public health professionals following a Bacillus anthracis attack against a civilian population...
- Co-trimoxazole as prophylaxis against opportunistic infections in HIV-infected Zambian children (CHAP): a double-blind randomised placebo-controlled trialC Chintu
University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia
Lancet 364:1865-71. 2004..We aimed to assess the efficacy of daily co-trimoxazole in such an area...
- Interrupted time series analysis of vancomycin compared to cefuroxime for surgical prophylaxis in patients undergoing cardiac surgeryK W Garey
University of Houston, College of Pharmacy, Texas Medical Center, 1441 Moursund Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:446-51. 2008..rates of SSIs from 2001 to 2005 were analyzed before and after a change from cefuroxime to vancomycin antibiotic prophylaxis in patients undergoing CABG by using an interrupted time series analysis...
- Levofloxacin to prevent bacterial infection in patients with cancer and neutropeniaGiampaolo Bucaneve
Policlinico Monteluce, Perugia, Italy
N Engl J Med 353:977-87. 2005..The prophylactic use of fluoroquinolones in patients with cancer and neutropenia is controversial and is not a recommended intervention...
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgery: an advisory statement from the National Surgical Infection Prevention ProjectDale W Bratzler
Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73134 2627, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1706-15. 2004..This advisory statement provides an overview of other issues related to antimicrobial prophylaxis, including specific suggestions regarding antimicrobial selection...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in total hip arthroplasty: effects of antibiotic prophylaxis systemically and in bone cement on the revision rate of 22,170 primary hip replacements followed 0-14 years in the Norwegian Arthroplasty RegisterLars B Engesaeter
The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Orthop Scand 74:644-51. 2003We studied the effects of antibiotic prophylaxis, systemically and in bone cement, on the revision rate of cemented total hip arthroplasties (THAs) in data from the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register during the period 1987-2001...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis and recurrent urinary tract infection in childrenJonathan C Craig
Screening and Test Evaluation Program and the School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
N Engl J Med 361:1748-59. 2009..This study from four Australian centers examined whether low-dose, continuous oral antibiotic therapy prevents urinary tract infection in predisposed children...
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis for cesarean delivery before skin incisionStephanie M Owens
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Magee Womens Research Institute, 300 Halket Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:573-9. 2009..To estimate the effect of a hospital-wide change in the timing of antimicrobial prophylaxis in cesarean deliveries on maternal and neonatal infections...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of bacterial infections in cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysisB Bernard
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Hepatology 29:1655-61. 1999In cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding, antibiotic prophylaxis decreases the incidence of infections but most randomized trials have not shown an increase in survival...
- Best practice policy statement on urologic surgery antimicrobial prophylaxisJ Stuart Wolf
American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc
J Urol 179:1379-90. 2008..The AUA convened a BPP Panel to formulate recommendations on the use of antimicrobial prophylaxis during urologic surgery...
- The clinical impact of antibacterial prophylaxis and cycling antibiotics for febrile neutropenia in a hematological malignancy and transplantation unitM Craig
Department of Medicine, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, West Virginia University Hospitals, Morgantown, WV 26506 9162, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:477-82. 2007..gram-negative bacteremia was significantly decreased, without emergence of resistance. Concerns with Gram-positive resistance will require further observation...
- Incidence of prosthetic joint infections after primary knee arthroplastyEsa Jämsen
Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
J Arthroplasty 25:87-92. 2010..The rate of prosthetic joint infections in contemporary knee arthroplasty is low and mainly related to patient-related factors, of which patient comorbidity has the most profound effect on the infection rate...
- When should we perform prophylactic antibiotics in elective cesarean cases?Gokhan Yildirim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Istanbul Bakirkoy Women and Children Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 280:13-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine whether the timing of prophylactic antibiotics at cesarean delivery influences maternal and neonatal infectious morbidity...
- Empirical versus preemptive antifungal therapy for high-risk, febrile, neutropenic patients: a randomized, controlled trialCatherine Cordonnier
Hematology Department, Henri Mondor Teaching Hospital, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP and Paris 12 University, Creteil, France
Clin Infect Dis 48:1042-51. 2009..Recent diagnostic improvements may ensure the early diagnosis of potentially invasive fungal disease. Reserving antifungals for this stage may achieve similar survival rates and reduce treatment toxicity and costs...
- Norfloxacin vs ceftriaxone in the prophylaxis of infections in patients with advanced cirrhosis and hemorrhageJavier Fernandez
IMDM and IDIBAPS, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 131:1049-56; quiz 1285. 2006..This randomized controlled trial was aimed to compare oral norfloxacin vs intravenous ceftriaxone in the prophylaxis of bacterial infection in cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Risk factors for neurosurgical site infections after craniotomy: a critical reappraisal of antibiotic prophylaxis on 4,578 patientsA M Korinek
Neuroanaesthesia Unit, Department of Anaesthesiology, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, University of Paris VI, Paris, France
Br J Neurosurg 19:155-62. 2005..of this study was to evaluate incidence and risk factors of postoperative infections, with emphasis on antibiotic prophylaxis, in a series of 4578 craniotomies...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial using split-mouth techniqueA Siddiqi
Sir John Walsh Research Institute, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, PO Box 647, Dunedin, New Zealand
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:107-14. 2010....
- International variations in infection supportive care practices for paediatric patients with acute myeloid leukaemiaThomas Lehrnbecher
Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Br J Haematol 147:125-8. 2009..0%, P = 0.03). There were systematic differences in infection-related supportive care practices. This information may be used to encourage harmonization of supportive care practices and future randomized trials...
- The Bhaktapur eye study: ocular trauma and antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of corneal ulceration in NepalM P Upadhyay
Bhaktapur Eye Study, BP Koirala Lions Center for Ophthalmic Studies, Tribhuvan University Institute of Medicine and Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal
Br J Ophthalmol 85:388-92. 2001..the incidence of ocular trauma and corneal ulceration in the district of Bhaktapur in Kathmandu Valley, and to determine whether or not topical antibiotic prophylaxis can prevent the development of ulceration after corneal abrasion.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in urologic procedures: a systematic reviewA M Jikke Bootsma
Department of Urology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Urol 54:1270-86. 2008b>Antibiotic prophylaxis is used to minimize infectious complications resulting from interventions. Side-effects and development of microbial resistance patterns are risks of the use of antibiotics...
- Poor oral hygiene as a risk factor for infective endocarditis-related bacteremiaPeter B Lockhart
Department of Oral Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, P O Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232 2861, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 140:1238-44. 2009..The authors conducted a study to determine if poor oral hygiene or dental disease are risk factors for developing bacteremia after toothbrushing or single-tooth extraction...
- Prolonged antibiotic prophylaxis after cardiovascular surgery and its effect on surgical site infections and antimicrobial resistanceS Harbarth
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, and Division of Infectious Diseases, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Circulation 101:2916-21. 2000Despite evidence supporting short antibiotic prophylaxis (ABP), it is still common practice to continue ABP for more than 48 hours after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.
- Preventing surgical site infections: a surgeon's perspectiveR L Nichols
Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2699, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:220-4. 2001..Adherence to recommendations in the 1999 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines should reduce the incidence of infection in surgical patients...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for GI endoscopySubhas Banerjee
Gastrointest Endosc 67:791-8. 2008
- Sepsis in cirrhosis: report on the 7th meeting of the International Ascites ClubF Wong
Division of Gastoenterology, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gut 54:718-25. 2005..The use of antibiotics has to be judicious, as their indiscriminate use can lead to antibiotic resistance with potentially disastrous consequences...
- Intranasal mupirocin reduces sternal wound infection after open heart surgery in diabetics and nondiabeticsG E Cimochowski
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1572-8; discussion 1578-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Prophylactic intranasal MPN is safe, inexpensive, and very effective in reducing the overall sternal wound infections by 66.6%...
- ESCRS study of prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: Preliminary report of principal results from a European multicenter studyPeter Barry
European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:407-10. 2006..To report results in the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) multicenter study of the prophylaxis of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery...
- Evaluation of universal antenatal screening for group B streptococcusMelissa K Van Dyke
Epidemic Intelligence Service Program, Office of Workforce and Career Development, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 360:2626-36. 2009..In 2002, national guidelines recommended universal late antenatal screening of pregnant women for colonization with group B streptococcus to identify candidates for intrapartum chemoprophylaxis...
- Determinants of surgical site infection after breast surgeryM L Bertin
Infection Control and Epidemiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Am J Infect Control 26:61-5. 1998..9% (3 infections for 332 procedures). CONCLUSIONS: Host factors may contribute to SSI in breast procedures. Cefazolin sodium prophylaxis was useful in preventing SSI after breast surgery...
- Third- and fourth-generation fluoroquinolones: retrospective comparison of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery performed over 10 yearsMichael K Jensen
Department of Pharmacy Services, Moran Eye Center, University of Utah Hospital, 65 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1460-7. 2008..To determine differences in endophthalmitis rates with prophylactic use of third- versus fourth-generation fluoroquinolones in cataract surgery...
- Antibacterial prophylaxis after chemotherapy for solid tumors and lymphomasMichael Cullen
University Hospital Birmingham Cancer Centre, Birmingham, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 353:988-98. 2005..The role of prophylactic antibacterial agents after chemotherapy remains controversial...
- Adherence to perinatal group B streptococcal prevention guidelinesWilliam P Goins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Obstet Gynecol 115:1217-24. 2010....
- Impact of fluoroquinolone prophylaxis on reduced infection-related mortality among patients with neutropenia and hematologic malignanciesStefan Reuter
Section of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital of Ulm, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 40:1087-93. 2005..Bacterial antimicrobial resistance is likely to cause a progressive lack of efficacy of fluoroquinolones, but no convincing evidence from clinicoepidemiologic observations has proved this hypothesis...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection in children with low grade vesicoureteral reflux: results from a prospective randomized studyG Roussey-Kesler
Medical Pediatric Clinic, Hospital Center and University of Nantes, Nantes, France
J Urol 179:674-9; discussion 679. 2008b>Antibiotic prophylaxis is given to children at risk for urinary tract infection. However, evidence concerning its effectiveness in grade I to III vesicoureteral reflux is lacking...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis with azithromycin or penicillin for childhood-onset neuropsychiatric disordersLisa A Snider
Pediatrics and Developmental Neuropsychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:788-92. 2005..We hypothesized that the prevention of streptococcal infections among children in the PANDAS subgroup would decrease neuropsychiatric symptom exacerbations...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis after endoscopic therapy prevents rebleeding in acute variceal hemorrhage: a randomized trialMing Chih Hou
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, No 201 Sec 2 Shih Pai Road, Taipei, Taiwan 11217, ROC
Hepatology 39:746-53. 2004..b>Antibiotic prophylaxis can prevent bacterial infection in such patients, but its role in preventing rebleeding is unclear...
- Imaging studies after a first febrile urinary tract infection in young childrenAlejandro Hoberman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh 15213 2583, USA
N Engl J Med 348:195-202. 2003..We investigated whether imaging studies altered management or improved outcomes in young children with a first febrile urinary tract infection...
- Adherence to perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis among orthopedic trauma patientsKristopher M Lundine
Division of Orthopaedics, Health Sciences Centre, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Surg 53:367-72. 2010The goal of this study was to assess whether patients receive their antibiotic prophylaxis as prescribed...
- Effectiveness of antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trialsYan Fang Ren
Eastman Dental Center, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1909-21. 2007We conducted a synthetic quantitative review of the published clinical trials on the effectiveness of antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery.
- Non-compliance with recommendations for the practice of antibiotic prophylaxis and risk of surgical site infection: results of a multilevel analysis from the INCISO Surveillance NetworkKatiuska Miliani
Regional Coordinating Centre for Nosocomial Infection Control C CLIN Paris Nord, Paris, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:1307-15. 2009The aim of this study was to determine which surgical antibiotic prophylaxis (SAP) practices alter surgical site infection (SSI) risk.
- Abdominal surgical site infections: incidence and risk factors at an Iranian teaching hospitalSeyd Mansour Razavi
Community Medicine Department, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BMC Surg 5:2. 2005..This study aimed to determine the risk factors affecting abdominal surgical site infections and their incidence at Imam Khomeini, a major referral teaching hospital in Iran...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for transurethral prostatic resection in men with preoperative urine containing less than 100,000 bacteria per ml: a systematic reviewWei Qiang
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
J Urol 173:1175-81. 2005We determined whether antibiotic prophylaxis can reduce the risk of postoperative infective complications in men undergoing transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) who have preoperative urine with less than 100,000 bacteria per ml.
- Timing of perioperative antibiotics for cesarean delivery: a metaanalysisMaged M Costantine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0587, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:301.e1-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to summarize the available evidence on timing of perioperative antibiotics for cesarean delivery...
- Prophylactic antibiotics in hip and knee arthroplastyJohn Meehan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Davis, 4860 Y Street, Suite 3800, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:2480-90. 2009..Hospitals with antibiogram data that reveal high Staphylococcus resistance should consider use of vancomycin as a prophylactic antibiotic...
- Effects on spectrum and susceptibility patterns of isolates causing bloodstream infection by restriction of fluoroquinolone prophylaxis in a hematology-oncology unitT Saito
Department of Infection Control and Prevention, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Kawahara cho, Shougoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:209-16. 2008..0078). Restriction of fluoroquinolone prophylaxis affects the etiology of BSI and reduces the proportion of drug-resistant organisms...
- Current debate on the use of antibiotic prophylaxis for caesarean sectionR F Lamont
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
BJOG 118:193-201. 2011..However, recent evidence supports the use of pre-incision, broad-spectrum antibiotics, which result in a lower rate of maternal morbidity with no disadvantage to the neonate...
- Intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis and early-onset neonatal sepsis patternsRodney K Edwards
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0294, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 11:221-6. 2003To compare the relative effects of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis regimens on patterns of early-onset neonatal sepsis.
- Adherence to guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis in general surgery: a critical appraisalC E Tourmousoglou
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:214-8. 2008..To evaluate the adherence of general surgeons to guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis. This study was held from January 2000 until October 2000 in a General Surgery Clinic in a hospital in Athens, Greece...
- Bisacodyl rectal preparation can decrease infectious complications of transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsySeong Soo Jeon
Department of Urology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Urology 62:461-6. 2003..To assess whether rectal preparation before transrectal ultrasound (TRUS)-guided prostate biopsy could decrease the rate of infectious complications and to find any possible risk factors affecting the development of complications...
- Consensus document on the use of antibiotic prophylaxis in dental surgery and proceduresJosé Luis Gutiérrez
Spanish Society for Mouth Surgery, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E188-205. 2006The goal of antibiotic prophylaxis in Odontology is to prevent the onset of infections through the entranceway provided by the therapeutic action, therefore it is indicated providing there is a considerable risk of infection, either ..
- Single-dose versus multiple-dose antibiotic prophylaxis for the surgical treatment of closed fracturesGerard P Slobogean
Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Acta Orthop 81:256-62. 2010Recent meta-analyses have suggested similar wound infection rates when using single- or multiple-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in the operative management of closed long bone fractures...
- The timing of antibiotics at cesarean: a randomized controlled trialGeorge A Macones
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis, 63110, USA
Am J Perinatol 29:273-6. 2012..Either preoperative antibiotic therapy or antibiotic administration after cord clamp is a reasonable clinical method for reducing the risk of postcesarean infectious morbidity...
- Intrapartum antibiotics for known maternal Group B streptococcal colonizationArne Ohlsson
Departments of Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University ofToronto, Toronto
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD007467. 2013..Administration of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis (IAP) during labor has been associated with a reduction in early onset GBS disease (EOGBSD)...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis before surgery vs after cord clamping in elective cesarean delivery: a double-blind, prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trialArmin Witt
Division of Feto Maternal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Arch Surg 146:1404-9. 2011Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis during elective cesarean delivery at term to reduce postoperative maternal infectious morbidity is generally used but may not be effective on the basis of the available data...
- Impact of the NICE guideline recommending cessation of antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of infective endocarditis: before and after studyMartin H Thornhill
University of Sheffield School of Clinical Dentistry, Sheffield S10 2TA, UK
BMJ 342:d2392. 2011To quantify the change in prescribing of antibiotic prophylaxis before invasive dental procedures for patients at risk of infective endocarditis, and any concurrent change in the incidence of infective endocarditis, following introduction ..
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for bacterial infections in afebrile neutropenic patients following chemotherapyAnat Gafter-Gvili
Department of Medicine E, Beilinson Hospital, Rabin Medical Center, 39 Jabotinski Street, PetahTikva, 49100, Israel
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD004386. 2012..Trials have shown the efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in reducing the incidence of bacterial infections but not in reducing mortality rates...
- Nonconcordance with surgical site infection prevention guidelines and rates of surgical site infections for general surgical, neurological, and orthopedic proceduresBarnaby Young
Infectious Diseases, Communicable Disease Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433, Republic of Singapore
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4659-63. 2011..Elective general surgical, neurological, and orthopedic procedures requiring antibiotic prophylaxis from a 3-month period were retrospectively studied to determine concordance with SSI prevention guidelines ..
- Changing antibiotic prophylaxis for primary joint arthroplasty affects postoperative complication rates and bacterial spectrumA Sprowson
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Woodhorn Lane, Ashington, Northumberland NE63 9JJ, UK
Surgeon 11:20-4. 2013..As part of the C. difficile improvement plan in our Trust, antibiotic prophylaxis for primary arthroplasty was changed from cefuroxime to gentamicin...
- Prevalence of MRSA in emergency and elective patients admitted to a vascular surgical unit: implications for antibiotic prophylaxisB Muralidhar
Nuffield Department of Surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:402-7. 2006..Data was obtained from departmental Morbidity and Mortality records and the computerised laboratory medicine information system...
- [Current perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis]P Kujath
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Schleswig Holstein Campus Lübeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck
Chirurg 77:490, 492-8. 2006..Operation-specific recommendations according to guidelines of the Paul Ehrlich Society are given...
- Adding amikacin to fluoroquinolone-based antimicrobial prophylaxis reduces prostate biopsy infection ratesDeepak Batura
Department of Urology, Northwick Park Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 107:760-4. 2011..To examine the efficacy of adding amikacin to fluoroquinolone-based antimicrobial prophylaxis in preventing transrectal ultrasonography-guided prostate biopsy (TGB) associated infections...
- The effects of cefazolin on cirrhotic patients with acute variceal hemorrhage after endoscopic interventionsHuang Wei Xu
Division of Hepato Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, 123, Ta Pei Road, Niao Sung, Kaohsiung 833, Taiwan
Surg Endosc 25:2911-8. 2011The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) guidelines recommend that antibiotic prophylaxis should be instituted in any patient with cirrhosis and gastrointestinal hemorrhage, and that oral norfloxacin, intravenous ..
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for urinary tract infections after removal of urinary catheter: meta-analysisJonas Marschall
Division of Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
BMJ 346:f3147. 2013To determine whether antibiotic prophylaxis at the time of removal of a urinary catheter reduces the risk of subsequent symptomatic urinary tract infection.:
- Prospective assessment of the efficacy of single dose versus traditional 3-day antimicrobial prophylaxis in 12-core transrectal prostate biopsyKamil Cam
Department of Urology, Duzce University School of Medicine, Duzce, Turkey
Int J Urol 15:997-1001. 2008To prospectively evaluate the efficacy of single dose antibiotic prophylaxis in 12-core transrectal ultrasonography (TRUS) guided prostate biopsy.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis practices in dentistry: a survey of dentists and physiciansCarmen Lauber
J Can Dent Assoc 73:245. 2007..A survey was conducted to determine prescribing practices of general dental and medical practitioners regarding the use of antibiotics for prophylaxis...
- Effect of a change in policy regarding the timing of prophylactic antibiotics on the rate of postcesarean delivery surgical-site infectionsAnjali J Kaimal
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:310.e1-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of a change in policy regarding the timing of antibiotic administration on the rates of postcesarean delivery surgical-site infections (SSI)...
- Comparison of single versus multiple doses of antibiotic prophylaxis in reducing post-elective Caesarean section infectious morbidityA Shakya
Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 8:179-84. 2010Puerperal sepsis is frequently in Caesarean section. Antibiotic prophylaxis may have significant impact in reduction of infections and thus the need to study its role in sepsis prevention systematically.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for preventing wound infection after breast surgery: a systematic review and metaanalysisTalar Tejirian
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:729-34. 2006
- Comparative efficacies of amoxicillin, clindamycin, and moxifloxacin in prevention of bacteremia following dental extractionsP Diz Dios
Department of Special Needs, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Santiago de Compostela University, Santiago de Compostela 15872, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2996-3002. 2006..As a consequence, MXF prophylaxis is a promising antibiotic alternative for the prevention of BDE when beta-lactams are not indicated...
- Prevention of surgical site infection after breast cancer surgery by targeted prophylaxis antibiotic in patients at high risk of surgical site infectionNicolas Penel
Département de Cancérologie Générale, Centre Oscar Lambret, France
J Surg Oncol 96:124-9. 2007..The present before-after study evaluated a preventive strategy for high-risk patients...
- Does reoperation predispose to postoperative wound infection in women undergoing operation for breast cancer?Cam Ly Tran
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Am Surg 69:852-6. 2003..The incidence of wound infection is increased with reoperation after operative biopsy compared to operation after core biopsy and is further increased when the initial biopsy involved lymph node dissection...
- [Antimicrobial prophylaxis for caesarean delivery: before or after cord clamping? A meta-analysis]E Boselli
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Universite de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, Lyon, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 28:855-67. 2009..The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effect of preoperative rather than after umbilical cord clamping antimicrobial prophylaxis for caesarean delivery on maternal and neonatal infectious postoperative morbidity...
- Antibiotic pharmacodynamics in surgical prophylaxis: an association between intraoperative antibiotic concentrations and efficacySheryl A Zelenitsky
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3026-30. 2002....
- Use of antibacterial prophylaxis for patients with neutropenia. Australian Consensus Guidelines 2011 Steering CommitteeM A Slavin
Department of Infectious Diseases, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 41:102-9. 2011..The group also provides recommendations for monitoring and surveillance of emerging resistance in those centres that have adopted FQ prophylaxis...
- Perils of quinolone exposure in cancer patients: breakthrough bacteremia with multidrug-resistant organismsGopi Rangaraj
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control, and Employee Health, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Cancer 116:967-73. 2010..The objective of this study was to determine the effect of antibiotic use (including prophylaxis) on the emergence of multidrug-resistant (MDR) breakthrough bacteremia in cancer patients...
- Clinical significance of primary vesicoureteral reflux and urinary antibiotic prophylaxis after acute pyelonephritis: a multicenter, randomized, controlled studyEduardo H Garin
Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Pediatrics 117:626-32. 2006..and renal parenchymal damage among patients with acute pyelonephritis and to determine whether urinary antibiotic prophylaxis reduces the frequency and/or severity of UTIs and/or prevents renal parenchymal damage among patients with ..
- Severe trauma is not an excuse for prolonged antibiotic prophylaxisGeorge C Velmahos
Division of Trauma and Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Southern California and Los Angeles County USC Medical Center, 1200 N State St, Room 9900, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Arch Surg 137:537-41; discussion 541-2. 2002..For critically injured patients, a limited course of antibiotics is as effective as a prolonged course in preventing sepsis and organ failures...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in percutaneous nephrolithotomy: prospective study in 81 patientsH Serkan Dogan
Department of Urology, Section of Infectious Diseases, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Endourol 16:649-53. 2002To compare single-dose and short-course antibiotic prophylaxis protocols in percutaneous nephrolithotomy.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections in children: risk factors and association with prophylactic antimicrobialsPatrick H Conway
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
JAMA 298:179-86. 2007..The evidence regarding risk factors for recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI) and the risks and benefits of antimicrobial prophylaxis in children is scant...
- The impact of a change in antibacterial prophylaxis from ceftazidime to levofloxacin in allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantationK A Guthrie
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:675-81. 2010b>Antibiotic prophylaxis has been used during the initial phases of myeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) for more than two decades. However, the optimal regimen in terms of both cost and clinical effectiveness is unclear...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis after variceal hemorrhage reduces incidence of early rebleedingJürgen Pohl
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Ruprechts Karls University, Heidelberg, Germany
Hepatogastroenterology 51:541-6. 2004..This study aims to evaluate the role of new onset infection in the initiation of early rebleeding after variceal hemorrhage in patients with liver cirrhosis and the effect of prophylactic antibiotic treatment...
- Fluoroquinolone prophylaxis in patients with neutropenia: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trialsH Imran
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of South Alabama, 1504 Springhill Avenue, Mobile, AL 36695, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:53-63. 2008..Prophylaxis with levofloxacin may reduce febrile episodes in neutropenic hematology patients and stem cell transplant recipients...
- Pediatric urinary tract infectionsSteven L Chang
Department of Urology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, S 287, Stanford, CA 94305 2200, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 53:379-400, vi. 2006..The main objectives in management include prompt diagnosis, appropriate antimicrobial therapy, identification of anatomic anomalies, and, in select patients, long-term follow-up...
- Physician knowledge and adherence to prescribing antibiotic prophylaxis for sickle cell diseaseKeele E Wurst
University of North Carolina School of Pharmacy and School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7630, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 16:245-51. 2004..physician knowledge of and adherence to sickle cell guidelines; and (ii). the types of educational programs about sickle cell disease desired by physicians...
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons practice guideline series: Antibiotic prophylaxis in cardiac surgery, part II: Antibiotic choiceRichard Engelman
Baystate Medical Center, Division of Cardiac Surgery, 759 Chestnut St, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1569-76. 2007
- Antibiotic prophylaxis using third generation cephalosporins can reduce the risk of early rebleeding in the first acute gastroesophageal variceal hemorrhage: a prospective randomized studyChung Hwan Jun
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:883-90. 2006Bacterial infection may be a critical trigger for variceal bleeding. Antibiotic prophylaxis can prevent rebleeding in patients with acute gastroesophageal variceal bleeding (GEVB)...
- Viridans streptococcal (Streptococcus intermedius) mitral valve subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) in a patient with mitral valve prolapse after a dental procedure: the importance of antibiotic prophylaxisBurke A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 39:64-72. 2010..Some strains of viridans streptococci are inherently more virulent (eg, S. intermedius) and clinically resemble S. lugdunensis or S. aureus...
- Compliance with antibiotic prophylaxis in children with sickle cell anemia: a prospective studyEnio Latini Bitarães
Fundação Mineira de Educação e Cultura Faculdade de Ciências da Saúde FUMEC FCS, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 84:316-22. 2008To prospectively assess compliance with antibiotic prophylaxis among children with sickle cell anemia.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in neutropenic patients: new evidence, practical decisionsLeonard Leibovici
Department of Medicine E, Beilinson Campus, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Cancer 107:1743-51. 2006New evidence shows that antibiotic prophylaxis in neutropenic patients reduces mortality, febrile episodes, and bacterial infections...
- Antimicrobial postexposure prophylaxis for anthrax: adverse events and adherenceColin W Shepard
Centers for Desease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1124-32. 2002..Adherence of <60 days was not consistently associated with adverse events...
- Improvement of intraoperative antibiotic prophylaxis in prolonged cardiac surgery by automated alerts in the operating roomGiorgio Zanetti
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the CDC Eastern Massachusetts Prevention Epicenter, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:13-6. 2003..To assess the impact of an automated intraoperative alert to redose prophylactic antibiotics in prolonged cardiac operations...
- Effect of presumptive co-trimoxazole prophylaxis on pneumococcal colonization rates, seroepidemiology and antibiotic resistance in Zambian infants: a longitudinal cohort studyC J Gill
Department of International Health, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 86:929-38. 2008..To ascertain the microbiological consequences of WHO's recommendation for presumptive co-trimoxazole prophylaxis for infants with perinatal HIV exposure...
- Ciprofloxacin prophylaxis in patients with acute leukemia and granulocytopenia in an area with a high prevalence of ciprofloxacin-resistant Escherichia coliLucia Gomez
Infectious Disease Unit, Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Cancer 97:419-24. 2003..Infection remains the major cause of morbidity and mortality in patients with neutropenia, and the beneficial effects of oral prophylaxis remain controversial...
- Timing of antimicrobial prophylaxis and the risk of surgical site infections: results from the Trial to Reduce Antimicrobial Prophylaxis ErrorsJames P Steinberg
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Emory University Hospital Midtown, 550 Peachtree St NE, Rm 5 4403, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Ann Surg 250:10-6. 2009..The objective of this study is to determine the optimal timing for surgical antimicrobial prophylaxis (AMP)...
- Is antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery a generally effective intervention? Testing a generic hypothesis over a set of meta-analysesRussell J Bowater
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ann Surg 249:551-6. 2009....
- Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of Lyme disease: an updated systematic review and meta-analysisStephen Warshafsky
Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1137-44. 2010The clinical value of antibiotic prophylaxis in preventing Lyme disease remains uncertain, owing to a meta-analysis lacking sufficient power to demonstrate efficacy and a more recent trial showing effectiveness but lacking precision...
- Investigation of bioterrorism-related anthrax, United States, 2001: epidemiologic findingsDaniel B Jernigan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1019-28. 2002..Continued vigilance for cases is needed among health-care providers and members of the public health and law enforcement communities...
- Immunoprotective monoclonals to B. anthracis sporesALISON O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..A remaining health concern is that the people who received antibiotic prophylaxis may still present with inhalation anthrax after conclusion of their therapy as dormant viable spores ..
- Molecular Basis of E. coli Adhesins in Bladder DisordersScott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2013..chronic recurrences and increasingly are left with few treatment options other than costly long-term antibiotic prophylaxis Indiscriminate use of antibiotics is leading to increased resistance to first-line empiric therapie such ..
- Modulation of host immune defense by Pneumocystis beta-glucansEVA MARIA CARMONA PORQUERA; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the immunosuppressed patient, PcP can only be prevented with antibiotic prophylaxis. Unfortunately, most of the cases occur in patients in which prophylaxis was never instituted...
- Development of a Univalent Vaccine Against Group B Streptococci InfectionStephen K Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2010..Disease Control and Prevention include screening all women during the third trimester for GBS and giving antibiotic prophylaxis during labor to GBS positive women...
- Anti-Autolysin Passive Immunity for MRSA OsteomyelitisJOHN LINFORTH DAISS; Fiscal Year: 2010..greatest concern in patient care, desite the fact that improvements in surgical technique and aggressive antibiotic prophylaxis have decreased the infection rate for most procedures to less than 1-5%...
- FOCUSJEFFREY LEE CARSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..of samples for type and cross match, use of whole blood instead of packed red cells), failure to use thromboembolism prophylaxis, incorrect antibiotic prophylaxis, wrong site surgery and femoral shaft fracture.
- Cesarean Section Optimal Antibiotic Prophylaxis (C/SOAP) TrialAlan Thevenet N Tita; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by investigator): The Cesarean Section Optimal Antibiotic Prophylaxis (C/SOAP) study is a large pragmatic multi-center randomized clinical trial designed to evaluate the comparative effectiveness and safety of ..
- Genetic Variations and Development of Vesicoureteral Reflux and SequelaeDAVID SULLIVAN HAINS; Fiscal Year: 2010..by analyzing DNA from patients enrolled in the RIVUR study (a randomized control trial analyzing antibiotic prophylaxis in children with VUR)...
- Hemostatic-antibiotic Combination for Prevention of MRSA Surgical Site InfectionsTimothy C Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., MRSA or MRSE), as an adjunct to systemic antibiotic prophylaxis. This application describes the formulation development, in vitro validations, biocompatibility testing, ..
- Duration of Intrapartum Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Group B StreptococcusJessica L Illuzzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..of group B streptococcus (GBS) from colonized mothers to their newborns can be attenuated by intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis. The optimal duration of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent neonatal GBS colonization and ..
- FOCUS Data Coordinating CenterMichael L Terrin; Fiscal Year: 2010..of samples for type and cross match, use of whole blood instead of packed red cells), failure to use thromboembolism prophylaxis, incorrect antibiotic prophylaxis, wrong site surgery, and femoral shaft fracture.
- Endocarditis virulence in Streptococcus sanguinisTODD O KITTEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Prevention of endocarditis relies primarily on antibiotic prophylaxis for at-risk patients prior to dental procedures that are likely to result in bacteremia...
- Case BMT CTN: Antibacterial Prophylaxis in Post-Engraftment Allogeneic HCTHillard M Lazarus; Fiscal Year: 2013..selection and emergence of multi-drug-resistant bacteria could be a detrimental consequence of extended antibiotic prophylaxis. 3...
- A Before and After Study of the Effect of Ceasing to Give Antibiotic ProphylaxisMartin H Thornhill; Fiscal Year: 2013..AHA) guideline committee recommends that patients at highest risk from developing IE should be given antibiotic prophylaxis (AP) before invasive dental procedures, with the aim of killing bacteria that enter the circulation...
- Village Integrated Eye Workers TrialThomas M Lietman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prospective cohort studies have suggested that antibiotic prophylaxis Is effective at reducing corneal ulceration, but a community randomized clinical trial is necessary to ..
- EFFECT OF CRANBERRY CONSTITUENTS ON UTI PATHOGENESISScott Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because of the rise in antibiotic-resistant bacteria and the deleterious effects of long-term antibiotic prophylaxis, alternative therapies for UTIs are needed...
- Limited Competition for Continuation of RIVURSAUL PHILIP GREENFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2012..Treatment remains controversial and includes observation, long term antibiotic prophylaxis and surgical correction...
- Randomized Intervention for Vesico-Ureteral Reflux (RIVUR) TrialMing Hsien Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Primary study aims are to determine if the use of antibiotic prophylaxis (i) reduces the incidence of UTI or delays the time to recurrent UTIs in children with VUR, (ii) increases ..
- Peptides surface modification to prevent stent blockageJoseph Leung; Fiscal Year: 2006..including use of different plastic materials, changing stent designs, biocide impregnation and systemic antibiotic prophylaxis. However, none of these methods have produced significant clinical benefits...
- Preclinical Development of an Absorbable Antibacterial Bone Hemostatic AgentTIMOTHY FISHER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Ostene is fully resorbed within 1-3 days, a more appropriate time frame for antibiotic prophylaxis compared to the collagen sponge, which remains at the site for 2-3 weeks...
- Targeting protein synthesis in AMLARTHUR FRANKEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..binding and inducing cytokine release from patient monocytes have occurred, necessitating steroid and antibiotic prophylaxis. Further, some patients failed to show leukemic cytoreductions...
- RX FOR DENTAL PATIENTS AT RISK FOR ENDOCARDITISDonald Sadowsky; Fiscal Year: 1990The use of antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of endocarditis in patients at risk is well established...
- CELL BIOLOGY OF MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM INFECTIONEric Brown; Fiscal Year: 2002..While antibiotic prophylaxis has had some major impact on MAC disease, therapy remains difficult and both prophylaxis and therapy ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Medications Used in Congenital Heart SurgeryJENNIFER S contact LI; Fiscal Year: 2010..agents used during surgery, afterload reduction in the post-operative setting, and peri-operative antibiotic prophylaxis. Our overall hypothesis is that the linking and analysis of existing large pediatric data sources can ..
- Reservoirs of Antibiotic Resistance--BioinformaticsMichael Feldgarden; Fiscal Year: 2006..tools and the research activities that they facilitate will have applications in the management of antibiotic prophylaxis and therapy in human disease, animal husbandry and horticulture and in management of genetically modified ..
- Chemokine regulation of immune cell recruitmentTerry W Wright; Fiscal Year: 2010..While the incidence of PcP has decreased due to antibiotic prophylaxis, it remains the most common AIDS-defining illness as well as a significant cause of disease and death in ..
- CONSEQUENCES OF GROUP B STREPTOCOCCAL PROPHYLAXISAnushua Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2004..The research builds on Dr. Sinha's NIAID-funded work to investigate the impact of maternal antibiotic prophylaxis against neonatal group B streptococcus on non-GBS infectious outcomes of both infants and mothers...
- World Workshop in Oral Medicine IVPeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proceedings will be published as evidence-based recommendations for best clinical practice in Oral Medicine as well as providing suggestions for future basic science and clinical research. ..
- Bacteremia from Dental Extraction vs. Oral HygienePeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION: (provided by applicant): The use of antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent distant site infections (DSI) from oral pathogens remains a controversial issue in clinical practice...
- STATISTICAL METHODS IN AIDS RESEARCHRonald Brookmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2001..The methods will be applied to the ALIVE study. ..
- Statistical Models for AnthraxRonald Brookmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..This work will depend on results from specific aims 1 and 2. ..
- Vascular Access in Hemodialysis PatientsMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant will assist the trainees in acquiring the conceptual skills, research experience, and motivation required to pursue a successful career in Academic Nephrology. ..
- Mechanisms of Tandem Repeat Deletion in Group B StrepKAREN PUOPOLO; Fiscal Year: 2006..The training goal of this project is to prepare the applicant for a career in bacterial genetic research by providing didactic education and the opportunity to develop laboratory expertise in this rapidly evolving field. ..
- Artificial Cornea Based on Photolithographically Patterned, Biomimetic HydrogelsChristopher N Ta; Fiscal Year: 2010..3. Determine the skirt design for optimal stromal tissue integration by evaluating in vitro and in vivo stromal wound healing within photolithographically patterned, microperforated hydrogel arrays. ..
- HEMODIALYSIS VASCULAR ACCESS CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary endpoint will be fistula thrombosis within 6 weeks, and the secondary endpoint will be the ability to use the fistula successfully for dialysis within 6 months. ..
- Parathyroid and Thymus Transplants in DiGeorge SyndromeMARY MARKERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Indirect allorecognition as a mechanism of graft rejection will be assessed by ELISpot. The third aim will assess safety and tolerability. ..
- International Conference on Tobacco Induced DiseasesDenis Kinane; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular biology of cancer/xenobiotics gene polymorphisms; 16. Cessation Techniques; 17. Harm Reduction; 18. Addiction therapy; 19. Rates of success; 20. Swedish snuff is healthier than tobacco smoking? Poster Session ..
- FLAGELLIN GLYCOSYLATION AND VIRULENCE OF P. AEROGINOSAReuben Ramphal; Fiscal Year: 2005..The existence of a central gene product involved in these could prove to be of great significance in controlling virulence. ..
- DETECTING NEONATAL SEPSIS USING MOLECULAR TECHNIQUESJEANNE JORDAN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- GERIATRIC CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTSTEVEN HALBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., clinical trials, case control, cohort research, etc.), and the faculties' commitment to collaborative research. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEUROIMMUNOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERSTanya Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2005..This award, along with support from the University Florida Brain Institute and the Department of Psychiatry, will enable the candidate to build a strong foundation of research skills needed to become an independent investigator. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF ADRENAL DEVELOPMENTEdward McCabe; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, we will elucidate mechanisms and identify candidate genes for pathologic processes as varied as adrenal cortical aplasia, hypoplasia and tumorigenesis. ..
- SUBCLINICAL CMV INFECTION AFTER MARROW TRANSPLANTATIONWilliam Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award will support my first step towards obtaining my long-term career goal, which is to be a proficient clinical investigator for infections in the immunocompromised host. ..
- Staff Hand Hygiene and Nosocomial Infections in NeonatesElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Therapy for Liver Cancer by Targeting Energy MetabolismJean Francois Geschwind; Fiscal Year: 2007..This translational study combining the use of radiological and basic science research tools is both necessary and fundamental to firmly lay the groundwork for clinical trials. ..
- Group Testing in the Presence of Error with Application to HIV/AIDSMichael Hudgens; Fiscal Year: 2007..While the methodology is motivated by detection of acute HIV, our results will be directly applicable to other infectious diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF HEREDITARY PANCREATITISDavid Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2008..The HP and familial pancreatitis studies are especially important because of the statistical power of family studies and the ability to detect modifier genes in a uniform background of susceptibility factors. ..
- Impact of Hand Hygiene Guideline on Infections and CostsElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Leukemia Immunotherapy After Allogeneic TransplantCRAIG MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of TCR Repertoire Following Thymus TransplantMARY MARKERT; Fiscal Year: 2008..These findings will have application to thymus and bone marrow transplantation for immunodeficiency and cancer. ..
- Dose Study of thymus TransplantationMARY MARKERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided. ..
- Interdisciplinary Research:Antimicrobial Resistance(RMI)Elaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the final year, plans for a sustainable Consortium on antimicrobial resistance will be formalized. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NAPS2 Continuation - Genome-Wide Association Study of PancreatitisDavid C Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the genetic basis of pancreatitis will lead to new treatments, and help remove the stigma that chronic pancreatitis is only a disease of drunkards. ..
- Fatigue and Cytokines with Heart FailureAnne M Fink; Fiscal Year: 2010..S., and fatigue is the most debilitating symptom associated with HF. Findings from the proposed study will contribute to the development of future interventions to manage fatigue in HF patients. ..
- Bacterial Vaccine Antigen DiscoveryLAWRENCE PAOLETTI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 2). Findings from these studies utilizing this unique approach to vaccine antigen discovery could be directly applied to other bacterial pathogens. ..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prediciting Severe Neonatal HyperbilirubinemiaRon Keren; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Urinary Biomarkers for Steroid Resistant Nephrotic SyndrRobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that data from the current study will improve our diagnostic and therapeutic strategy and may provide clues to the pathogenetic significance of the identified biomarkers. ..
- PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA FLAGELLAR BIOGENESIS PATHWAYReuben Ramphal; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..