Genomes and Genes
Summary: The removal of secretions, gas or fluid from hollow or tubular organs or cavities by means of a tube and a device that acts on negative pressure.
Publications311 found, 100 shown here
- Closed tracheal suction systems for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumoniaI I Siempos
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, 9 Neapoleos Street, 151 23 Marousi, Athens, Greece
Br J Anaesth 100:299-306. 2008We have assessed the evidence that closed tracheal suction systems (TSS) prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP), using a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Comparison of interface pressures with pin and suction suspension systemsTracy L Beil
Human Performance Laboratory, St Cloud State University, St Cloud, MN, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 41:821-8. 2004..For this study, we measured limb interface pressures during ambulation with pin and suction suspension systems. No pressure differences were seen between the modes of suspension during stance phase...
- Reamer-irrigator-aspirator indications and clinical results: a systematic reviewGeorge Cox
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Academic Unit, Clarendon Wing, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Great George Street, Leeds, LS1 3EX, UK
Int Orthop 35:951-6. 2011..Since its inception its indications have expanded to include the treatment of long-bone osteomyelitis and as a harvester of bone graft/mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs)...
- Comparison of the efficiency of five suction light traps under field conditions in South Africa for the collection of Culicoides speciesG J Venter
ARC Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Private Bag X5, Onderstepoort 0110, South Africa
Vet Parasitol 166:299-307. 2009..The primary monitoring tools used for the collection of Culicoides midges are various models of suction light traps...
- [A prospective randomized study of wound drainage versus non-drainage in primary total hip or knee arthroplasty]B Mengal
, CHU du Sart-Tilman, , Belgique
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 87:29-39. 2001..A total of 256 patients undergoing primary THR (152) or TKR (104) were randomly allocated to undergo either suction drainage or no drainage of the wound: there were 76 drained and 76 non-drained THR's, 52 drained and 52 non-..
- The effect of endotracheal suction on regional tidal ventilation and end-expiratory lung volumeD G Tingay
Department of Neonatology, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Intensive Care Med 36:888-96. 2010To examine the impact of different endotracheal tube (ETT) suction techniques on regional end-expiratory lung volume (EELV) and tidal volume (V(T)) in an animal model of surfactant-deficient lung injury.
- Transfusion drains versus suction drains in total knee replacement: meta-analysisSheraz R Markar
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, 235 Euston Road, London NW1 2BU, UK
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 20:1766-72. 2012..The use of autologous blood transfusion drains in orthopaedic surgery has been the subject of debate for several years. The aim of this meta-analysis was to review the use of autologous blood transfusion drains in total knee replacement...
- Suction-modified Bergström muscle biopsy technique: experience with 13,500 proceduresMark A Tarnopolsky
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street W, HSC 2H26, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Muscle Nerve 43:717-25. 2011..Bergström needle muscle biopsies have been used by exercise physiologists for over 35 years but have been less accepted by neuromuscular clinicians due to size concerns...
- Selective suction and pressure-regulated retroinfusion: an effective and safe approach to retrograde protection against myocardial ischemia in patients undergoing normal and high risk percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplastyP Boekstegers
Department of Internal Medicine I, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 31:1525-33. 1998We sought to study the safety, feasibility and efficacy of selective suction and pressure-regulated retroinfusion to protect against myocardial ischemia in patients undergoing normal risk and high risk balloon angioplasty.
- Impact of thrombus aspiration on myocardial tissue reperfusion and left ventricular functional recovery and remodeling after primary angioplastyFrancesco Liistro
Cardiovascular Department, San Donato Hospital, Arezzo, Italy
Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2:376-83. 2009..We hypothesized that manual thrombus aspiration during primary PCI would favorably influence tissue-level myocardial perfusion and left ventricular (LV) functional recovery and remodeling...
- The use of a closed-suction drain in total knee arthroplasty. A prospective, randomised studyC N A Esler
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals, Bournemouth, England
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:215-7. 2003..randomised 100 patients undergoing cemented total knee replacement to receive either a single deep closed-suction drain or no drain...
- Thrombus aspiration followed by direct stenting: a novel strategy of primary percutaneous coronary intervention in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Results of the Polish-Italian-Hungarian RAndomized ThrombEctomy Trial (PIHRATE Trial)Dariusz Dudek
Department of Interventional Cardiology Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Am Heart J 160:966-72. 2010..The aim of the present study was to assess impact of aspiration thrombectomy followed by direct stenting...
- Bispectral index variations during tracheal suction in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients: effect of an alfentanil bolusElsa Brocas
Department of Anesthesiology and Surgical ICU, University of Paris 7, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 28:211-3. 2002To evaluate the impact of an alfentanil dose on bispectral index (BIS) variations during tracheal suction in ICU sedated patients.
- Oronasopharyngeal suction versus wiping of the mouth and nose at birth: a randomised equivalency trialJohn Kelleher
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Lancet 382:326-30. 2013Wiping of the mouth and nose at birth is an alternative method to oronasopharyngeal suction in delivery-room management of neonates, but whether these methods have equivalent effectiveness is unclear.
- Blood loss in major liposuction procedures: a comparison study using suction-assisted versus ultrasonically assisted lipoplastyF R Karmo
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of General Surgery, at St Joseph Mercy Oakland, Pontiac, MI, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:241-7; discussion 248-9. 2001..Proponents of a newer ultrasonically assisted lipoplasty technique have claimed many benefits over traditional suction-assisted lipoplasty...
- Minimized cardiopulmonary bypass combined with a smart suction device: the future of cardiopulmonary bypass?Mario Stalder
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Berne, Switzerland
Heart Surg Forum 10:E235-8. 2007..The aim of this paper is to give an overview of the literature and to present our experience with the MECC-smart suction system.
- Suction versus water seal after thoracoscopy for primary spontaneous pneumothorax: prospective randomized studyAdel K Ayed
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University and Chest Diseases Hospital, Safat, Kuwait
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1593-6. 2003The objectives of the study were to review our experience of video-assisted thoracoscopic apical pleurectomy and to evaluate whether suction or water seal is superior in the postoperative treatment of primary spontaneous pneumothorax.
- The role of closed-suction drainage in preventing epidural fibrosis and its correlation with a new grading system of epidural fibrosis on the basis of MRIOrhan Sen
Department of Neurosurgery, Baskent University, 01250 Adana, Turkey
Eur Spine J 14:409-14. 2005In this study we aimed to evaluate the role of closed-suction drainage on the extent of epidural fibrosis (EF) after lumbar disc surgery and to define a new grading system of epidural fibrosis in these patients, based on magnetic ..
- Ablation of apocrine glands with the use of a suction-assisted cartilage shaver for treatment of axillary osmidrosis: an analysis of 156 casesWen Horng Wu
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Kuang Tien General Hospital, Hungkuang University, Taichung, Taiwan
Ann Plast Surg 62:278-83. 2009..26 males) whose ages ranged from 10 to 62, with an average age of 23, were treated for axillary osmidrosis with suction-assisted cartilage shaver under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis...
- Treatment of cellulite with a bipolar radiofrequency, infrared heat, and pulsatile suction device: a pilot studyRungsima Wanitphakdeedecha
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Cosmet Dermatol 5:284-8. 2006..Very few therapeutic options have proven effective in the treatment of cellulite...
- Kinematics of suction feeding in the seahorse Hippocampus reidiGert Roos
Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Antwerpen, Belgium
J Exp Biol 212:3490-8. 2009Fish typically use a rostro-caudal wave of head expansion to generate suction, which is assumed to cause a uni-directional, anterior-to-posterior flow of water in the expanding head...
- The influence of physiotherapy and suction on respiratory deadspace in ventilated childrenEleanor Main
Centre for Nursing and Allied Health Professionals Research and Physiotherapy Department, Institute of Child Health, 7th Floor, Old Building, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, Great Ormond Street, London WCIN 3JH, UK
Intensive Care Med 30:1152-9. 2004To assess and compare the effects of respiratory physiotherapy and suction on deadspace volumes, carbon dioxide elimination (VCO(2)), end tidal CO(2) (ETCO(2)), and arterial partial pressure of carbon dioxide (PaCO(2)) in ventilated ..
- Monitoring and controlling intramedullary pressure increase in long bone instrumentation: a study on sheepPaul N Smith
Medical School, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Orthop Res 26:1327-33. 2008..This study investigated the effect of an intramedullary suction system, recently developed in our laboratory, on the pressure and fat extravazation in isolated bovine bone and a ..
- Outflow control for avoiding atrial suction in a continuous flow total artificial heartPaul S Olegario
Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Artif Organs 27:92-8. 2003..However, continuous flow pumps are more prone to atrial wall suction than pulsatile pumps are...
- Randomized controlled trial of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle sampling with or without suction for better cytological diagnosisRajesh Puri
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:499-504. 2009..The aim of our study was to compare two different techniques of EUS-guided sampling of solid masses, using either non-suction or suction with a 10-ml syringe.
- Suction-curettage with combination of two different cannulae in the treatment of axillary osmidrosis and hyperhidrosisW O Kim
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Anaesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:1083-8. 2008To investigate the efficacy and safety of suction-curettage with a combination of two different cannulae for treatment of axillary osmidrosis and hyperhidrosis.
- Excision with primary closure and suction drainage for pilonidal sinus in adolescent patientsF Serour
Department of Pediatric Surgery, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, P O Box 5, Holon 58100, Israel
Pediatr Surg Int 18:159-61. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of excision with primary closure and closed-suction drainage in adolescent patients, between 1990 and 1999, 34 consecutive patients aged 13-18 years (mean 16...
- Treatment for axillary osmidrosis with suction-assisted cartilage shaverJennifer C Lee
Department of Dermatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 199 Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Br J Plast Surg 58:223-7. 2005..This study is to evaluate the effectiveness and advantages of treating axillary osmidrosis with suction-assisted cartilage shaver...
- Corpus callosotomy with the CO2 laser suction device: a technical noteSteven Falowski
Department of Neurosurgery, Rush University Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 90:137-40. 2012..Patients with symptomatic generalized epilepsy who are not candidates for resections may be considered for corpus callosotomy...
- Management of chest tubes after pulmonary resection: a systematic review and meta-analysisShaun M Coughlin
The Department of Surgery, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont
Can J Surg 55:264-70. 2012We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the effect of suction with water seal, compared with water seal alone, applied to intra pleural chest tubes on the duration of air leaks in patients undergoing pulmonary ..
- The ProSeal laryngeal mask airway and the laryngeal tube Suction for ventilation in gynaecological patients undergoing laparoscopic surgeryH Roth
University Hospital Mannheim, Institute of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Manheim, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:117-22. 2005ProSeal Laryngeal Mask Airway (PLMA) and Laryngeal Tube Suction (LTS), supraglottic airway devices allowing gastric drainage, were compared in this prospective, randomized study for airway management under conditions with elevated intra-..
- A prospective, randomised trial of pneumothorax therapy: manual aspiration versus conventional chest tube drainageMehmet Parlak
Isala Klinieken, Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Groot Wezenland 20, 8011 JW Zwolle, The Netherlands
Respir Med 106:1600-5. 2012..However, only a few studies reported a direct comparison of both methods. Our aim was to re-evaluate this with a randomised trial in a single centre in the Netherlands...
- A comparison of the suction laryngoscope and the Macintosh laryngoscope in emergency medical technicians: a manikin model of severe airway haemorrhageT Mitterlechner
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Emerg Med J 29:54-5. 2012The use of a suction laryngoscope that enables simultaneous suction and laryngoscopy was evaluated...
- Postoperative situation after axillary suction-curettage: an endoscopical viewF G Bechara
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:304-6. 2006
- Surgical treatment of hydatid cyst of the liver: drainage versus omentoplastySeyed Reza Mousavi
Department of Vascular and General Surgery, Shohada e Tajrish Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Ann Hepatol 4:272-4. 2005..Liver is the most common site of infection and several methods of surgery have been described to treat this common disease. In this study we aim to compare the results of two common methods of surgery; simple drainage versus omentoplasty...
- No trade-off between biting and suction feeding performance in clariid catfishesSam Van Wassenbergh
Department of Biology, Universiteit Antwerpen, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Antwerpen, Belgium
J Exp Biol 210:27-36. 2007It is generally assumed that biting performance trades off with suction performance in fish because both feeding types may place conflicting demands on the cranial musculo-skeletal system...
- Time management and nectar flow: flower handling and suction feeding in long-proboscid flies (Nemestrinidae: Prosoeca)Florian Karolyi
Department of Integrative Zoology, Faculty of Life Science, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Naturwissenschaften 100:1083-93. 2013A well-developed suction pump in the head represents an important adaptation for nectar-feeding insects, such as Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera and Diptera...
- Closed suction or penrose drainage after partial nephrectomy: does it matter?Ricardo Sanchez-Ortiz
Department of Urology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
J Urol 171:244-6. 2004Prospective studies in the general surgery literature have shown fewer wound related complications with closed suction drainage than with open passive drainage...
- Advanced suction detection for an axial flow pumpMichael Vollkron
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cardiosurgical Research, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Artif Organs 30:665-70. 2006..Finally, in a multidimensional optimization process of the entire suction detection system, 7 individual indicators were adjusted by using 17 independent threshold values...
- In vitro evaluation of endotracheal tubes with intrinsic suctionKarla I Mujica-Lopez
Department of Pediatrics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Chest 138:863-9. 2010..Endotracheal tube (ETT) intubation impairs mucus clearance, which can lead to respiratory compromise. We compared three ETTs that have intrinsic capacity to aspirate secretions pooling above the cuff...
- Subcutaneous closed-suction drainage does not affect surgical site infection rate following elective abdominal operations: a prospective randomized clinical trialE Kaya
Uludag University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery and Biostatistics, Bursa Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 110:457-62. 2010To evaluate whether subcutaneous closed-suction drainage (SCSD) would decrease the SSI rate in elective abdominal operations.
- Bilateral seroma after suction-curettage for axillary hyperhidrosis in a transaxillary breast-augmented patientF G Bechara
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Dermatol Surg 33:731-3. 2007
- Closed suction drainage versus no drainage following pelvic lymphadenectomy for gynecological malignanciesU D Bafna
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore, India
Int J Gynecol Cancer 11:143-6. 2001..Sixty nine patients had closed suction retroperitoneal pelvic drainage (Group A) and 74 patients had no suction drainage and no pelvic ..
- A new insight into suction and dilution effects in capillary electrophoresis coupled to mass spectrometry via an electrospray ionization interface. Part I-Suction effectMeriem Mokaddem
Laboratoire d Electrochimie et Chimie Analytique, UMR7575 CNRS ENSCP Paris6 Paris, France
Electrophoresis 29:1957-64. 2008..is to provide quantitative information, which is quite a difficult task, as it is linked, among other factors, to suction and dilution effects...
- Comparison between autologous noncultured epidermal cell suspension and suction blister epidermal grafting in stable vitiligo: a randomized studyA Budania
Department of Dermatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Br J Dermatol 167:1295-301. 2012..Autologous noncultured epidermal cell suspension (NCES; a cellular grafting technique) and suction blister epidermal grafting (SBEG; a tissue grafting technique) are important established surgical modalities for ..
- Use of closed-suction drains to treat generalized peritonitis in dogs and cats: 40 cases (1997-1999)M G Mueller
Department of Surgery and Medicine, The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 219:789-94. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine outcome of dogs and cats with generalized peritonitis treated by means of closed-suction drainage. DESIGN: Retrospective study. ANIMALS: 30 dogs and 10 cats with generalized peritonitis...
- The influence of a suction device on fixation of a cemented cup using RSAA John Timperley
Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW, UK
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:792-8. 2009..No improvement of fixation was proven from the measured translations and rotations of the socket in the suction group...
- Effect of closed endotracheal tube suction method, catheter size, and post-suction recruitment during high-frequency jet ventilation in an animal modelJ Michele Hepponstall
Neonatal Research, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria 3052, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 47:749-56. 2012High-frequency jet ventilation (HFJV) is often used to treat infants with pathologies associated with gas trapping and abnormal lung mechanics, who are sensitive to the adverse effects of suction.
- A micro circulating PCR chip using a suction-type membrane for fluidic transportLiang Ju Chien
Department of Engineering Science, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Biomed Microdevices 11:359-67. 2009..A novel liquid transportation mechanism utilizing a suction-type membrane and three microvalves were used to create a new microfluidic control module to rapidly transport ..
- Manual suction versus femtosecond laser trephination for penetrating keratoplasty: intraocular pressure, endothelial cell damage, incision geometry, and wound healing responsesRomesh I Angunawela
Singapore National Eye Centre, 11 Third Hospital Avenue, Singapore
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:2571-9. 2012To measure real-time intraocular pressure (IOP) during trephination with a manual suction trephine (MST) and the femtosecond laser (FSL), and to assess endothelial cell damage, incision geometry, and wound healing response with these ..
- Initial clinical experience with the admiral oxygenator combined with separated suctionE De Stefano
Department of Cardio Vascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Perfusion 23:209-13. 2008..Patients were divided into 3 groups. Group 1 had valve surgery without separation of suction, Group 2 had coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) with direct blood aspiration and Group 3 had coronary artery ..
- Evaluation of the revised laryngeal tube suction: the laryngeal tube suction II in 100 patientsR Mihai
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal United Hospital, Bath, UK
Br J Anaesth 99:734-9. 2007We prospectively assessed the performance of the laryngeal tube suction mark II (LTS II).
- Counteraction of aortic baroreflex to carotid sinus baroreflex in a neck suction modelT Kawada
Department of Cardiovascular Dynamics, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, 5 7 1 Fujishirodai, Suita, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:1979-84. 2000Although neck suction has been widely used in the evaluation of carotid sinus baroreflex function in humans, counteraction of the aortic baroreflex tends to complicate any interpretation of observed arterial pressure (AP) response...
- Comparison of a closed (Trach Care MAC) with an open endotracheal suction system in small premature infantsL Cordero
Department of Pediatrics, Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus 43210 1228, USA
J Perinatol 20:151-6. 2000To determine whether ventilated, low birth weight infants treated with closed versus open tracheal suction in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) differ as to airway bacterial colonization, nosocomial pneumonia, bloodstream infection (..
- Effects of aspiration thrombectomy on mortality in patients with acute myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention: a meta-analysis of the randomized trialsCharan Lanjewar
Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai, India
Indian Heart J 61:335-40. 2009..We performed a meta-analysis of randomized trials evaluating AT during primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) to determine its impact on mortality and morbidity...
- Wall suction applied to needle muscle biopsy - a novel technique for increasing sample sizeMark M Melendez
Department of Surgery, Stony Brook University Medical Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8191, USA
J Surg Res 142:301-3. 2007..To evaluate the effectiveness of a novel technique to obtain adequate sample size using wall suction applied to needle muscle biopsy, we collected samples from subjects in on-going clinical studies for gene ..
- Fibrin glue in thyroid and parathyroid surgery: is under-flap suction still necessary?Manish Patel
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 85:530-2. 2006The introduction of fibrin sealants has brought into question the necessity of routinely placing suction drains...
- Chest drainage suction decreases differential pleural pressure after upper lobectomy and has no effect after lower lobectomyGonzalo Varela
Service of Thoracic Surgery, Salamanca University Hospital, Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:531-4. 2010To our knowledge, no reports have been published describing the effect of suction on pleural pressures after different types of lobectomy...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B diagnosed on suction rectal biopsy in infancy: a report of 2 casesMinzhi Yin
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Road, Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia
Pediatr Dev Pathol 9:56-60. 2006b>Suction rectal biopsies in a newborn and a 10-month-old infant presenting with intestinal obstruction showed marked increase in neurons and nerve bundles in the submucosa...
- Large needle suction aspiration of permanent fillersYushan L Wilson
Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Toronto School of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Laryngoscope 121:2146-9. 2011..We describe here an in-office technique to remove permanent injectable fillers that achieves consistent, natural results with minimal risk of scarring...
- Keratinocytes in the depigmented epidermis of vitiligo are more vulnerable to trauma (suction) than keratinocytes in the normally pigmented epidermis, resulting in their apoptosisA Y Lee
Department of Dermatology, Eulji University School of Medicine, 280 1 Hagye 1 dong, Nowon Gu, Seoul 139 711, Korea
Br J Dermatol 151:995-1003. 2004..However, in autologous epidermal grafting, depigmentation of the donor (normally pigmented) site from a suction blister is rare, even in cases displaying failure of repigmentation at the recipient (depigmented) site.
- Effect of suction ring application during LASIK on goblet cell densityJose Luis Rodriguez-Prats
VISSUM Instituto Oftalmologico de Alicante, Spain
J Refract Surg 23:559-62. 2007..To study the effect of LASIK surgery on conjunctival goblet cells as one of the proposed mechanisms for dry eye occurring after LASIK...
- Closed suction drainage versus closed simple drainage in the management of modified radical mastectomy woundsE R Ezeome
Department of Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
S Afr Med J 98:712-5. 2008To compare the outcomes of modified radical mastectomy wounds managed by closed wound drainage with suction and without suction.
- The feasibility and safety of routine thrombus aspiration in patients with non-ST-elevation myocardial infarctionPieter J Vlaar
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, Thoraxcenter, Groningen, The Netherlands
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 72:937-42. 2008..To investigate the feasibility and safety of manual thrombus aspiration in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) for non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI)...
- Requirement for 100% oxygen before and after closed suctionFatma Demir
School of Nursing, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Adv Nurs 51:245-51. 2005..This paper reports an experimental study to determine whether giving 100% oxygen for 1 minute before and after closed suctioning is required...
- Routine suction of intercostal drains is not necessary after lobectomy: a prospective randomized trialChristos Prokakis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Patras University, School of Medicine, Patras, Greece
World J Surg 32:2336-42. 2008The decision to proceed to simple underwater seal drainage or apply active suction to the underwater seal after lung resection is mostly based on surgeon preference...
- Closed versus partially ventilated endotracheal suction in extremely preterm neonates: physiologic consequencesA M Tan
KK Women s and Children s Hospital, 100 Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 229899, Singapore
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 21:234-42. 2005..compare the severity and incidences of desaturation and bradycardia between the partially ventilated endotracheal suction method (PVETS) and closed tracheal suction system (CTSS) in extremely preterm neonates...
- Closed suction surgical wound drainage after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsR Clifton
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Peterborough District Hospital, Thorpe Road, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire PE3 6DA, England, UK
Knee 14:348-51. 2007..We have performed a systematic review of the literature for randomised trials that related to the use of closed suction drains following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery...
- Study of acetylcholinesterase activity in rectal suction biopsy for diagnosis of intestinal dysganglionoses: 17-year experience of a single centerMaria Merces Santos
Pediatric Surgery Laboratory LIM 30, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 24:715-9. 2008Although the utility of the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) histochemistry on rectal suction biopsy in diagnosing Hirschsprung's disease (HD) has been documented, few reports address a great number of biopsies and patients...
- Continuous needle vented foley catheter suction for urinary leak after radical prostatectomyAlireza Moinzadeh
Section of Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Urol 171:2366-7. 2004..After the failure of other conservative measures we successfully overcame this problem using a Foley catheter needle vented suction technique.
- Disposable laryngeal tube suction--a randomized comparison of two insertion techniques performed by novice users in anaesthetised patientsRichard Schalk
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Management, J W Goethe University Medical School, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt M, Germany
Resuscitation 76:364-8. 2008..The product line has recently been expanded by the disposable laryngeal tube suction (LTS-D)...
- Thrombus aspiration during primary percutaneous coronary interventionTone Svilaas
Thorax Center, Department of Cardiology, Triadegebouw, Gang LM1 004, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 358:557-67. 2008..However, the embolization of atherothrombotic debris induces microvascular obstruction and diminishes myocardial reperfusion...
- Transurethral ureterorenolithotripsy using new automated irrigation/suction system controlling pressure and flow compared with standard irrigation: a randomized pilot studyEric Lechevallier
Department of Urology, Hopital Salvator, Marseille, France
J Endourol 17:97-101. 2003To compare in a random fashion an automated irrigation/suction pump system with the standard pressurized technique during transurethral ureterorenolithotripsy.
- Randomized study comparing endoscopic ultrasound-guided Trucut biopsy and fine needle aspiration with high suctionH Gerke
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
Cytopathology 21:44-51. 2010..Fine needle aspiration with high suction (FNAHS) has been proposed as a method to obtain histological tissue cores while affording the flexibility to ..
- Foam pore size is a critical interface parameter of suction-based wound healing devicesYvonne I Heit
Division of Plastic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 129:589-97. 2012b>Suction-based wound healing devices with open-pore foam interfaces are widely used to treat complex tissue defects. The impact of changes in physicochemical parameters of the wound interfaces has not been investigated.
- Direct thrombus retrieval using the reperfusion catheter of the penumbra system: forced-suction thrombectomy in acute ischemic strokeD H Kang
Department of Neuroradiology, Daegu Gyeongbuk Cardiocerebrovascular Center, Kyungpook National University, Republic of Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:283-7. 2011..Here we describe and discuss the technical details and results of our preliminary experience...
- Prospective randomized trial compares suction versus water seal for air leaksR J Cerfolio
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35924, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1613-7. 2001Surgeons treat air leaks differently. Our goal was to evaluate whether it is better to place chest tubes on suction or water seal for stopping air leaks after pulmonary surgery...
- Effect of closed endotracheal suction in high-frequency ventilated premature infants measured with electrical impedance tomographyMariëtte B van Veenendaal
Department of Neonatology H3 144, Emma Children s Hospital AMC, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 35:2130-4. 2009To determine the global and regional changes in lung volume during and after closed endotracheal tube (ETT) suction in high-frequency ventilated preterm infants with respiratory distress syndrome (RDS).
- Suction or non-suction to the underwater seal drains following pulmonary operation: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsBo Deng
Thoracic Surgery Department, Institute of Surgery Research, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, PR China
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 38:210-5. 2010The decision to proceed to simple underwater seal drainage or to apply active suction to the underwater seal following pulmonary operation is a controversial one...
- Haemodynamic changes during neck pressure and suction in seated and supine positionsS Ogoh
Department of Integrative Physiology and Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
J Physiol 540:707-16. 2002..Acute changes in carotid sinus transmural pressure were evoked using brief 5 s pulses of neck pressure and neck suction (NP/NS) via a simplified paired neck chamber that was developed to enable beat-to-beat measurements of stroke ..
- Subcutaneous versus intraarticular indwelling closed suction drainage after TKA: a randomized controlled trialEun Seok Seo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Joint Reconstruction Center, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 166 Gumi ro, Bundang gu, Seongnam si, Gyeonggi do 463 707, Korea
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:2168-76. 2010..TKA can involve substantial bleeding, and the issue regarding whether vacuum drainage should be used during TKA continues to be debated as both methods have disadvantages...
- Suction vs water seal after pulmonary resection: a randomized prospective studyM Blair Marshall
Section of General Thoracic Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Chest 121:831-5. 2002To evaluate whether suction or water seal is superior in the management of chest tubes after pulmonary resection.
- Clinical and angiographic predictors and prognostic value of failed thrombus aspiration in primary percutaneous coronary interventionMaarten A Vink
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JACC Cardiovasc Interv 4:634-42. 2011..This study sought to investigate which factors are associated with failure of thrombus aspiration (TA) and if this has prognostic implications...
- Suction technique to improve cement penetration under the tibial component in total knee arthroplastyKate Stannage
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Warwick Hospital, Lakin Road, Warwick, UK
Knee 10:67-73. 2003..This paper examines the recently described method of preparation of the cancellous surface of the tibia using suction cannulae in the proximal tibia and stem recess during pulsatile lavage and component fixation...
- Nephroureteral stent on suction for urethrovesical anastomotic leak after robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomyGaurang Shah
Department of Urology, State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Urology 73:1375-6. 2009..After failure of conventional measures, we successfully managed this problem using a nephroureteral stent placed on intermittent suction.
- Regulated tailored suction vs regulated seal: a prospective randomized trial on air leak durationAlessandro Brunelli
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 43:899-904. 2013..The objective of this study was to compare the air leak duration of two regulated chest tube modes following pulmonary lobectomy...
- Development of a suction device for stabilizing in vivo real-time imaging of murine tissuesKazunori Shimizu
Institute for Innovative NanoBio Drug Discovery and Development, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Yoshida Shimoadachi, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 112:508-10. 2011..In this study, we propose a suction device for stabilizing live imaging, which was used to demonstrate fluorescence detection of circulating blood ..
- Flexion compromises ventilation with the laryngeal tube suction II in childrenJin Tae Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Jongnogu, Seoul, Korea
Paediatr Anaesth 19:153-8. 2009..as to the influence of the head and neck flexion, extension, and rotation on the ventilation with laryngeal tube suction II (LTS II)...
- Using a laryngeal tube suction-device (LTS-D) reduces the "no flow time" in a single rescuer manikin studyChristoph H R Wiese
Department of Anaesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Emerg Med 41:128-34. 2011..In 2005, the European Resuscitation Council and the American Heart Association published new guidelines for Advanced Life Support. One of the points was to reduce the time without chest compressions in the first phase of cardiac arrest...
- EUS-guided fine needle tissue acquisition by using high negative pressure suction for the evaluation of solid masses: a pilot studyAlberto Larghi
Section of Endoscopy and Therapeutics, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:768-74. 2005..The objective was to evaluate the feasibility and the yield of EUS-guided FNA tissue acquisition (EUS-FNTA) by using high negative pressure suction.
- Oronasopharyngeal suction versus no suction in normal, term and vaginally born infants: a prospective randomised controlled trialSadettin Gungor
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:453-6. 2005This prospective randomised controlled trial aimed to compare the effects of oronasopharyngeal suction with those of no suction in normal, term and vaginally born infants and was performed at a Turkish tertiary hospital from June 2003 to ..
- Comparison of the effect of closed versus open endotracheal suction systems on the development of ventilator-associated pneumoniaA Topeli
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara 06100, Turkey
J Hosp Infect 58:14-9. 2004The aim of this study was to compare the effect of closed versus open endotracheal suction systems on the development of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)...
- Conversion from suction catheter to guidewire for difficult tracheostomy tube changeJ M Brown
Anaesth Intensive Care 32:842. 2004
- A randomized comparison of sublingual and vaginal misoprostol for cervical priming before suction termination of first-trimester pregnancyN Vimala
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, AIIMS, New Delhi 110029, India
Contraception 70:117-20. 2004..One-hundred pregnant women between 6 and 12 weeks of gestation opting for termination of pregnancy by suction evacuation were included in this study. The women were randomly allocated into two groups...
- Microbiology of sinus puncture versus middle meatal aspiration in acute bacterial maxillary sinusitisSander Joniau
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Sint Jan General Hospital, Bruges, Belgium
Am J Rhinol 19:135-40. 2005..Therefore, the diagnostic usefulness in clinical practice and patient enrollment in studies of ABMS is hindered and alternatives for maxillary sinus puncture are being investigated...
- The role of frozen storage in preserving adipose tissue obtained by suction-assisted lipectomy for repeated fat injection proceduresO Shoshani
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Rambam Medical Center and Israel Naval Medical Institute, IDF Medical Corps, Haifa, Israel
Dermatol Surg 27:645-7. 2001BACKGROUND: The injection of autologous free fat obtained by suction-assisted lipectomy for the correction of soft tissue defects is a common procedure in plastic surgery...
- Assessment of left ventricular diastolic suction in dogs using wave-intensity analysisZhibin Wang
Qingdao University Medical College Hospital, Qingdao, China
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H1641-51. 2005Two apparently different types of mechanisms have emerged to explain diastolic suction (DS), that property of the left ventricle (LV) that tends to cause it to refill itself during early diastole independent of any force from the left ..
- Superficial dermabrasion and suction blister epidermal grafting for postburn dyspigmentation in Asian skinJin Sik Burm
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mokdong Hospital, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea
Dermatol Surg 33:326-32. 2007..OBJECTIVE We tried to evaluate an alternative surgical method of superficial dermabrasion and suction blister epidermal grafting, its efficacy, and its outcome, for the treatment of postburn dyspigmentation ..
- Modification of suction-induced hemolysis during cell salvageJonathan H Waters
Department of Anesthesiology, Magee Womens Hospital of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Anesth Analg 104:684-7. 2007The efficiency of red blood cell collection during cell salvage is dictated by multiple variables, including suction pressure...
- Diagnosis of ventilator-associated pneumonia: focus on nonbronchoscopic techniques (nonbronchoscopic bronchoalveolar lavage, including mini-BAL, blinded protected specimen brush, and blinded bronchial sampling) and endotracheal aspiratesShigeki Fujitani
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
J Intensive Care Med 21:17-21. 2006..Pending future studies, use of endotracheal aspirates without the use of quantitation seems to be a reasonable approach for clinicians who are not committed to an invasive procedure...
- Randomized clinical trial comparing axillary padding with closed suction drainage for the axillary wound after lymphadenectomy for breast cancerJ M Classe
Department of Surgery, Rene Gauducheau Comprehensive Cancer Centre, Nantes Saint Herblain, France
Br J Surg 93:820-4. 2006After axillary lymphadenectomy for breast cancer, a suction drain is routinely inserted into the axilla to prevent seroma formation. This drain is an obstacle to reducing hospital stay after breast-conserving surgery...
- Novel device for improving standard CPR outcomesKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ErgoPad has been shown in Phase I studies to be significantly better than the current suction cup version of the ACD CPR device as it is lighter in weight, adheres better to the chest, allows the rescuer&..
- Novel bundled mechanical and pharmacological CPR platformAnja Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2012..ACD CPR utilizes a suction cup to actively lift the chest wall during the decompression phase to enhance the refilling of the heart in ..
- Regeneration of stereocilia of cochlear hair cellsDavid Z Z He; Fiscal Year: 2010..The hair bundles of outer hair cells in a designated area of the organ of Corti will be removed by a small suction pipette...
- Self-Sensing Physiologic Control of a Rotary Mag Lev LVADJAMES FARLEY WALTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..to cardiac output changes through the use of differential pressure and flow estimators all while avoiding suction. The specific goals of this project are to design, implement and demonstrate physiologic control of the MiTiHeart(..
- Development of a nanosecond pulsed electric field system to treat skin cancerRICHARD LEE NUCCITELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..We have developed a new suction electrode design for use on much thicker human skin and have demonstrated the efficacy of this new design on the ..
- A Digital Feedback Clamp Instrument for NeurophysiologyYing Sun; Fiscal Year: 2011..tip is very small, commonly sub-micron, in contact with a part of the cell membrane surface, and a small suction is applied to seal the membrane to the pipette tip...
- PHARMACOLOGY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF RETINAL GANGLION CELLSAndrew T Ishida; Fiscal Year: 2013..and elicited spikes will be recorded in the nerve fiber layer with MEA electrodes and in the optic nerve with suction electrodes...
- Viscoelastic Properties of Human Facial SkinMARK WILLIAM BEATTY; Fiscal Year: 2012..information regarding the feel of skin) will be measured by a device that is placed against the skin and applies suction for 18 seconds...
- Actuated, Low-Stress, Endotracheal Tube Cleaner to Improve Neonate Lung FunctionROGER BROOKS BAGWELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..To remove mucus, the ETT is suctioned with a suction catheter, potentially after being flushed with saline...
- Molecular architecture, function and biogenesis of the ventral disc in Giardia inScott C Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The "Conformational Change" model proposes that conformational changes of the ventral disc cause suction-based attachment...
- Self Regulating Continuous Flow Total Artificial HeartKiyotaka Fukamachi; Fiscal Year: 2013..speed and its fail-safe automatic modes of providing adequate and balanced ventricular outputs, while avoiding suction of tissues and atrial pressure imbalance, 3) Perform in vitro system characterization, human blood hemolysis, and ..
- Biomechanics of early mammalian cardiogenesisIrina Larina; Fiscal Year: 2013..as a peristaltic pump nor as a classical Liebau pump with a single point of compression, though it utilizes suction mechanism and functions via resonance of contractile waves from multiple sites...
- Synchronous Valveless Pulsatile Support Device for the Failing HeartRICHARD WARREN SMALLING; Fiscal Year: 2013..surgical implantation and de-airing procedures, optimal hemodynamic performance, ECG sensing and synchronicity, suction detection, pump auto-regulation, pressure sensing and control;and (4) Conduct three 30-day chronic animal tests ..
- Stabilization Device for Transseptal AccessMARK CHRISTIAN SVENDSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will validate the ability of a novel, deflectable transseptal access catheter (TSAC) that utilizes vacuum suction technology to provide improved catheter localization and stabilization, easier puncture of the FO, and thus ..
- MINIR-II: Minimally Invasive Neurosurgical Intracranial RobotJ Marc Simard; Fiscal Year: 2013..rigid plastic body with cable driven joints, hollow inner core for routing cablin and electronics, irrigation and suction capability, and tumor removal capability, 2) Develop and characterize a multi-piece mold capable of molding ..
- Watching a vertebrate brain learn and behave in a virtual environmentFlorian Engert; Fiscal Year: 2011..The fish are allowed to control these stimuli via activity in their motor-neurons recorded by a set of external suction electrodes...
- Watching a vertebrate brain learn and behave in a virtual environmentFlorian Engert; Fiscal Year: 2013..The fish are allowed to control these stimuli via activity in their motor-neurons recorded by a set of external suction electrodes...
- Minimally Invasive Navigated Brain Hematoma Evacuation with Ultrasound MonitoringMichael Y Oh; Fiscal Year: 2010..A locking guide will be used to provide a stable orientation of the brain probe. Gentle suction can be applied to the aspirator to promote evacuation...
- Transduction Mechanism in Olfactory Receptor NeuronsKing Wai Yau; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have noticed this phenomenon in the course of previous experimentation. The experimental approach will involve predominantly suction-pipette recording from single ORNs of frog and WT or genetically engineered mice.
- PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF PHOTORECEPTORSTIMOTHY KRAFT; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will investigate the single cell photocurrents with the suction electrode technique to examine the changes that take place throughout the course of the retinal degeneration and ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL CONTROLLER FOR ROTARY BLOOD PUMPSGill B Bearnson; Fiscal Year: 2011..Protocols for clinical tests are described to evaluate anti-suction control for false positive detection as well as affirmative response to suction events...
- Coaxial Everting Membrane Catheter Bronchoalveolar LavagWilliam Krause; Fiscal Year: 2006..We propose to compare the CEMBAL catheter with the CombiCath(r) and a standard suction catheter in a bench-top model to demonstrate the ability of the catheter to retrieve uncontaminated samples...
- CHEMORECEPTOR ACTIVITY OF THE CAROTID BODYCarlos Eyzaguirre; Fiscal Year: 1990..purpose we will use: a) small (1-2 mu m) fire polished electrodes, visually directed toward a nerve ending to suction part of its membrane into the electrode for whole terminal recordings; b) Artificial synapses between sensory ..
- REGIONAL MECHANICS OF LEFT VENTRICULAR ANEURYSMJulius Guccione; Fiscal Year: 1999..isolated arrested normal hearts, will be determined using our novel approach to mechanical testing ("epicardial suction"), which leaves the ventricular walls intact and introduces a complex (bending and shearing) mode of deformation ..
- Pulsed Electron Avalanche Knife: Intraocular Microsurg.Daniel Palanker; Fiscal Year: 2006..electro-adhesive manipulation of tissue and microinjection will also include illumination, irrigation and suction. It is miniaturizable to a 25 gauge size and can be incorporated into an endoscope...
- Mechanisms Defending Fat Mass in Human after LipectomyRobert Eckel; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Suction lipectomy (liposuction) is the most frequently performed esthetic procedure in the western world today; yet, there are no data to demonstrate that the regional removal of adipose tissue mass persists or that adipose tissue ..
- Physiological Adaptive COntrol of Continuous Flow Ventricular Assist DevicesJoshua P Cysyk; Fiscal Year: 2013..The speed is set high enough to provide adequate circulatory support but not too high as to cause suction and ventricular collapse...
- DYSPNEA, AIRWAY RESISTANCE AND PRESSURE WITH SUCTIONINGCarol Thompson; Fiscal Year: 1993The most frequent initial nursing intervention to treat dyspnea in mechanically ventilated patients is tracheal suction, yet research to direct these care decisions has just begun...
- Development of a Miniature Hydrodynamically Suspended Intrathoracic Tesla PumpGerson Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, a pressure sensor that has been developed for the larger system can be incorporated in the miniature Tesla, thereby providing a means for implementing suction control.
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..waste water (DWW) stream during the removal of amalgam from the oral cavity through aspiration with high vacuum suction. These toxic compounds are discharged into the sanitary sewer system and eventually into the environment, to be ..
- Light Adaptation in Vertebrate Rod PhotoreceptorsCLINT MAKINO; Fiscal Year: 2005..From suction electrode recordings on single rods of amphibians, we have obtained evidence that there is a component of light ..
- ENDOTRACHEAL SUCTIONING IN NEWBORNSBarbara Turner; Fiscal Year: 1993..delivery method (MRB vs ventilator) and level of hyperoxygenation (10% vs 20% increase in FIO2) to prevent suction induced hypoxemia, bradycardia, hyper/hypocarbia and increased ICP...
- NEUROMUSCULAR ACTIVITY OF THE PHARYNX DURING SWALLOWINGJeffrey Palmer; Fiscal Year: 1991..The first is precise video-radiographic measurement of pharyngeal wall motions using radiopaque suction cup markers...
- PHYSIOLOGY & PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ESOPHAGEAL MOTILITYRaj Goyal; Fiscal Year: 1993..We will use a number of different in vivo and in vitro systems to record membrane potentials by indirect (suction electrodes) and direct (single cell intracellular) methods, so as to learn about the nature of the neural ..
- Microneedle Array for Catheter Drug DeliveryShuvo Roy; Fiscal Year: 2004..The other approach will investigate a novel suction catheter that would house the microneedle during transport...
- MECHANISMS OF SYSTOLIC AND DIASTOLIC CARDIAC DEFORMATIONEdward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2001..Second, it is thought that relaxation contributes to filling by generating suction, which augments inflow from the left atrium...
- UV LIGHT INDUCED EICOSANOID FORMATION AND METABOLISMJoseph Morelli; Fiscal Year: 1992..To corroborate the in vitro studies, human forearm skin will be irradiated in vivo, and suction blister fluid will be evaluated for the presence of individual eicosanoids identified in vitro...
- OTIC PROBE FOR NEUROCOCHLEAR INTRAOPERATIVE MONITORINGRafael Delgado; Fiscal Year: 2003..The probe will also have treatment capability in the form of irrigation and suction to present medications to the round window and inner ear...
- Microfilaments in Giardia Attachment and VirulenceHEIDI ELMENDORF; Fiscal Year: 2006..of the microfilaments under the dorsal surface of the plasma membrane (to generate negative pressure and a suction force under the ventral surface of the cell) and of microfilaments around the perimeter of the ventral disk (to ..
- Adipose Derived Cell Therapy for Myocardial InfarctionJohn Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Suction-assisted lipoplasty (liposuction) is a common procedure allowing rapid collection of relatively large amounts of ..
- MECHANICAL REMOVAL OF PERIODONTAL GRANULATION TISSUESTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 1990..The proposed surgical device will consist of a modified bur running in a suction tube...
- PROPERTIES OF LIGHT MODULATED ION CHANNELS IN THE RETINAANITA ZIMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..involve patch clamp studies on CNG channels expressed in Xenopus oocytes, but specific aim 3 will also involve suction electrode and patch clamp recording on intact rods...
- Nanofluidic Probes for Recording/Stimulating CellsAlbert Folch; Fiscal Year: 2002..The cell membrane will be sealed against the aperture(s) by applying gentle suction to the channels...
- INNOVATIVE PUMPING SYSTEMYEHUDA TAMARI; Fiscal Year: 1992..The tubing can be used with standard roller pumps to eliminate their inherent dangers of excessive suction, air embolism, thrombosis, damage to the vessel's intima and/or pumping air to the patient when a decrease in ..
- MECHANICS OF DIASTOLIC SUCTIONMartin LeWinter; Fiscal Year: 2001..to understand the significance and mechanism of left ventricular (LV) restoring forces (RFs) and mitral inflow by suction. A RF is present and suction occurs when end-systolic volume (ESV) is less than equilibrium volume...
- TOPOGRAPHICAL ANALYSIS OF RHODOPSINMUAYYAD AL UBAIDI; Fiscal Year: 1999..Electroretinography and suction pipette single cell recording will be used to determine the effects of transgene expression on phototransduction ..
- MORPHOLOGY AND CYTOPHYSIOLOGY OF SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSIONJOSEPH PYSH; Fiscal Year: 1980..Methods will include post-ganglionic recordings using suction electrodes, conventional electron microscopy, extracellular tracer techniques using horseradish peroxidase or ..
- MECHANISMS OF SYNAPTIC MODULATION IN SYMPATHETIC NEURONSMark Simmons; Fiscal Year: 1991..Second, a suction electrode in the whole cell recording configuration will be used to control membrane voltage and record ionic ..
- Coupling & Reconfiguration of Rhythmic Motor NetworksStephen Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., 2-D and 3-D multichannel extracellular, intracellular, and suction electrodes)...
- Self-Sensing Physiologic Control of a Rotary Mag Lev LVADJames Walton; Fiscal Year: 2007..method of controlling pump output while avoiding the detrimental conditions associated with negative flow or suction/cavitation at the inlet...
- NURSING MANAGEMENT OF OPTIMAL ENDOTRACHEAL ASPIRATIONMARA BAUN; Fiscal Year: 1980..18 and 30 kg will be utilized in order to determine respiratory and cardiovascular responses to various levels of suction, hyperinflation, and hyperoxygenation...
- MOLECULAR FORCES IN BLOOD/VASCULAR CELL ADHESIONDavid Needham; Fiscal Year: 1999..a microbead probe is chemically glued to a red blood cell or a synthetic lipid bilayer vesicle held by micropipet suction, driven by microprocessor-controlled piezo translation, and detected optically by digitized video images (..
- A Scalable Cell Culture Perfusion SystemALAN KRIEGSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..All that is required is a pneumatic drive system to provide pressure and suction. We propose to test the feasibility of such a valve based system in this phase one project...
- SELF REGULATING PUMP CHAMBER FOR THE ROLLER PUMPYEHUDA TAMARI; Fiscal Year: 1992..applications: short term cardiopulmonary bypass for arterial pumping; left or right ventricular venting; coronary suction; long term pumping for extracorporeal membrane oxygenator (ECMO) or left and/or right heart bypass...
- EXTRA-CORPOREAL MEMBRANE ARTIFICIAL LUNGJose Venegas; Fiscal Year: 1992..which reduce blood trauma and thrombosis, thus allowing reduced heparinization; and 3) to provide a limited suction level and self-pumping capability to the membrane lung, eliminating the need for the gravity-fed bladder/roller ..
- PROCESSING OF ROD SIGNALS IN MAMMALIAN OUTER RETINADAVID SCHNEEWEIS; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, suction electrodes will be used to study rods, so that the transfer characteristics of the rod/RBC synapse may be ..
- AUTOMATED PERFUSION SYSTEM FOR CARDIAC SURGERYRobert Hart; Fiscal Year: 1999..It will integrate the functions of blood pumping, flow control, protection against air embolism, and cardiotomy suction in one package at low disposables cost. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICTION: NOT AVAILABLE
- SARCOMERE LENGTH AND UNIFORMITY IN ISOLATED HEART CELLSKENNETH ROOS; Fiscal Year: 1990..cells at rest or during paced electrical contractions in either a free state or when constrained by vacuum suction microelectrode pipettes...
- LOW-COST VIDEOSIGMOIDOSCOPE SYSTEM WITH DISPOSABLE COREBrian Kelleher; Fiscal Year: 1993..low-cost imaging sensor; designing a low-cost video processor (with light source); integrating the air, water and suction functions into one unit; and developing an inexpensive video photography system...
- Light Adaptation in Cone PhotoreceptorsFREDERICK SOO; Fiscal Year: 2007..A suction electrode technique is used throughout, which allows recording from individual, intact photoreceptors.
- Biomechanics on Neutrophil Rolling on the EndotheliumJin Yu Shao; Fiscal Year: 2006..The microvillus mechanics will be studied with the optical tweezers, combined with the micropipette manipulation system. ..