Genomes and Genes
Summary: Surgical reconstruction of the breast including both augmentation and reduction.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications359 found, 100 shown here
- Long-term oncological results of breast conservative treatment with oncoplastic surgeryM Rietjens
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Breast 16:387-95. 2007..53%). Patients with tumours larger than 2 cm were at greater risk of local recurrences and distant metastasis. Long-term oncologic results of BCT with oncoplastic surgery are comparable with the results of BCT randomized trials...
- Juvenile gigantomastia: presentation of four cases and review of the literatureS B Baker
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Ann Plast Surg 46:517-25; discussion 525-6. 2001..Two patients, ages 10 and 12 years, were treated at a young age with reduction mammaplasty, and both of these girls required secondary surgery for treatment...
- Breast reconstruction after surgery for breast cancerPeter G Cordeiro
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1590-601. 2008
- The oncological safety of skin sparing mastectomy with conservation of the nipple-areola complex and autologous reconstruction: an extended follow-up studyBernd Gerber
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Ann Surg 249:461-8. 2009..To find out if skin sparing mastectomy (SSM) and nipple sparing mastectomy (NSM) with immediate autologous reconstruction as safe in oncological terms as modified radical mastectomy (MRM)...
- Current trends in breast reconstruction: survey of American Society of Plastic Surgeons 2010Raffi Gurunluoglu
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
Ann Plast Surg 70:103-10. 2013..We conducted a retrospective survey of American Society of Plastic Surgeons to ascertain the current trends in breast reconstruction (BR)...
- The safety of autologous fat transfer in breast cancer: lessons from stem cell biologyRobert A Pearl
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, West Sussex, United Kingdom
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 65:283-8. 2012....
- Do patients and providers agree about the most important facts and goals for breast reconstruction decisions?Clara N Lee
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7195, USA
Ann Plast Surg 64:563-6. 2010..5%, 95% CI: -47, -3). For all 3 of the facts about immediate versus delayed reconstruction, women placed a higher priority on these facts than providers did...
- Fat injection to the breast: technique, results, and indications based on 880 procedures over 10 yearsEmmanuel Delay
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leon Berard Center, University of Lyon, Lyon, France
Aesthet Surg J 29:360-76. 2009..In particular, it has been feared that breast augmentation with autologous fat could lead to the formation of calcifications and cysts that might hinder mammagraphic examinations for detection of possible breast cancer...
- Prospective trial of adipose-derived regenerative cell (ADRC)-enriched fat grafting for partial mastectomy defects: the RESTORE-2 trialR Perez-Cano
Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Surg Oncol 38:382-9. 2012..This single-arm, prospective, multi-center clinical trial enrolled 71 patients post-BCT with defects ≤150 mL...
- Complications in postmastectomy breast reconstruction: two-year results of the Michigan Breast Reconstruction Outcome StudyAmy K Alderman
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, The University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0340, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:2265-74. 2002..It was concluded that (1) immediate reconstructions were associated with significantly higher complication rates than delayed procedures, and (2) procedure type had no significant effect on complication rates...
- A prospective study using color flow duplex ultrasonography for abdominal perforator mapping in microvascular breast reconstructionKatrin Seidenstucker
SANA Hospital Düsseldorf, Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Interdisciplinary Breast Center of Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Med Sci Monit 16:MT65-70. 2010..We hypothesize that color flow duplex ultrasonography is a reliable method for mapping the abdominal perforator anatomy and avoids the complications associated with other methods...
- Development of a surgical algorithm and optimized management of complications - based on a review of 706 abdominal free flaps for breast reconstructionStefan Langer
SANA Hospital Düsseldorf, Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Breast Center Academic Center of Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Med Sci Monit 16:CR518-22. 2010..Our institutional experiences with 706 lower abdomen based free perforator flaps are reported with special interest in presenting a therapeutic algorithm for efficient decision-making...
- The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the technical delivery of postmastectomy radiotherapySabin B Motwani
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:76-82. 2006..To quantify the impact of immediate breast reconstruction on postmastectomy radiation therapy (PMRT) planning...
- The role of the latissimus dorsi flap in reconstruction of the irradiated breastScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1-9; discussion 10-1. 2007..The role of the latissimus dorsi flap with a prosthesis in reconstruction of the previously irradiated breast is examined in this retrospective review of one surgeon's 10-year experience...
- Fat grafting to the breast revisited: safety and efficacySydney R Coleman
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10013, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:775-85; discussion 786-7. 2007..As discussions of fat grafting to the breast are surfacing all over the world, it is time to reexamine the opinions of the 1987 American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons position paper...
- Factors associated with local recurrence after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction for invasive breast cancerHeriberto Medina-Franco
Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Ann Surg 235:814-9. 2002..To examine the incidence of local recurrence (LR) and factors associated with it in a population of patients who underwent skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM) and immediate reconstruction for invasive carcinoma...
- The value of preoperative Doppler sonography for planning free perforator flapsR E Giunta
Department of Plastic Surgery, Behandlungszentrum Vogtareuth, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:2381-6. 2000..8 cm. The results show preoperative Doppler sonography to be useful for locating the position of individual perforating vessels, making it much easier to find them during the operation...
- Breast reconstruction in the elderly: preserving excellent quality of lifeJohn A Girotto
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutes, Baltimore, MD 21286, USA
Ann Plast Surg 50:572-8. 2003..The older patients maintained superior scores (better outcomes) over the younger patients in the subscales influenced by one's mental health...
- Computer-based learning module increases shared decision making in breast reconstructionBernard T Lee
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:738-43. 2010..We hypothesize that a computer-based learning module for breast reconstruction increases patient involvement in the decision-making process...
- Reporting clinical outcomes of breast reconstruction: a systematic reviewS Potter
Surgical Research Unit, School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:31-46. 2011..Breast reconstruction after mastectomy for cancer requires accurate evaluation to inform evidence-based participatory decision making, but the standards of outcome reporting after breast reconstruction have not previously been considered...
- Determining the oncological risk of autologous lipoaspirate grafting for post-mastectomy breast reconstructionGino Rigotti
Unità Operativa Chirurgia Plastica e Centro Ustioni, Azienda Ospedaliera di Verona, Piazzale Stefani 1, Verona, Italy
Aesthetic Plast Surg 34:475-80. 2010....
- Analysis of complications and patient satisfaction in pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous and deep inferior epigastric perforator flap breast reconstructionAdeyiza O Momoh
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Plast Surg 69:19-23. 2012..5% vs. 80.7%, P = 0.0113). Understanding the differences in complications and satisfaction will help physicians and patients make informed decisions about abdominal-based autologous breast reconstruction...
- Quality of life after postmastectomy breast reconstructionMary J Nissen
Park Nicollet Institute, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 29:547-53. 2002..To explore women's expectations about postmastectomy reconstruction and factors affecting their quality of life after reconstruction...
- Autologous breast reconstruction with the extended latissimus dorsi flapDavid W Chang
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 443, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 110:751-9; discussion 760-1. 2002..In conclusion, the extended latissimus dorsi flap is a reliable method for total autologous breast reconstruction in most patients and should be considered more often as a primary choice for breast reconstruction...
- Comparison of implant-based immediate breast reconstruction with and without acellular dermal matrixAndrew J Vardanian
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 128:403e-410e. 2011..Its performance profile remains equivocal. The authors studied whether adding it in implant-based immediate breast reconstruction improved outcomes when compared with non-acellular dermal matrix reconstruction...
- Interactive digital education aid in breast reconstructionLior Heller
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:717-24. 2008..A prospective randomized study was conducted to assess its effectiveness...
- Breast reconstruction with deep inferior epigastric artery perforator flap: 3.0-T gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging for preoperative localization of abdominal wall perforatorsVictoria Chernyak
Departments of Radiology and Plastic Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Radiology 250:417-24. 2009..0-T gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for localization of inferior epigastric artery (IEA) perforators before reconstructive breast surgery involving a deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) flap...
- Reduction mammaplasty provides long-term improvement in health status and quality of lifeL Blomqvist
Department of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:991-7. 2000..of this study was to assess health status and quality of life in macromastia patients undergoing reduction mammaplasty. From January of 1997 to June of 1997, the Department of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, at Stockholm Söder ..
- The use of acellular dermal matrix in immediate two-stage tissue expander breast reconstructionKatie E Weichman
New York University Langone Medical Center, Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 129:1049-58. 2012..This study was performed to analyze complications associated with its use in immediate two-stage, implant-based breast reconstruction and to subsequently develop guidelines for its use...
- Improved safety of autologous breast reconstruction surgery by stabilisation of microsurgical vessel anastomoses using fibrin sealant in 349 free DIEP or fascia-muscle-sparing (fms)-TRAM flaps: a two-centre studyChristoph Andree
Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Interdisciplinary Breast Centre, Sana Kliniken, Gerresheim Hospital, Dusseldorf, Germany
Breast 17:492-8. 2008..We routinely perform free DIEP flap and fascia-muscle-sparing (fms) TRAM flap procedures using fibrin sealant to stabilise anastomosed vessels, thus avoiding some of the difficulties associated with microsurgical anastomoses...
- Improving outcomes in bilateral breast reconstruction using autogenous tissueStephen J Vega
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:487-90; discussion 490-1. 2006....
- The impact of skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in patients with Stage III breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and postmastectomy radiationRoshan Prabhu
Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:e587-93. 2012..The purpose of this study is to compare the outcomes of women with noninflammatory Stage III SSM with IR vs. non-SSM-treated women who underwent neoadjuvant chemotherapy and adjuvant radiation therapy (XRT)...
- Experience with reduction mammaplasty combined with breast conservation therapy in the treatment of breast cancerScott L Spear
Division of Plastic Surgery, Division of General Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:1102-9. 2003..to a specific group of breast cancer patients--women with macromastia--who would benefit from reduction mammaplasty. Eleven women were identified from the senior author's (S.L.S...
- Breast cancer detection using magnetic resonance imaging in breasts injected with liquid siliconeH L Peng
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 104:2116-20. 1999..We think that MRI is potentially valuable in the evaluation of the breast lesions; it plays an important role in the detection of breast cancer in breasts augmented with liquid silicone...
- The efficacy and safety of DepoFoam bupivacaine in patients undergoing bilateral, cosmetic, submuscular augmentation mammaplasty: a randomized, double-blind, active-control studyJohn D Smoot
Departments of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Aesthet Surg J 32:69-76. 2012..Breast augmentation can result in significant postsurgical pain...
- Concurrent adjuvant chemotherapy and immediate breast reconstruction with skin expanders after mastectomy for breast cancerO Caffo
Medical Oncology Department, St Chiara Hospital, Trento, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 60:267-75. 2000..The present study reports our experience in the use of concurrent adjuvant chemotherapy and immediate breast reconstruction with skin expander after mastectomy for breast cancer and the acute cumulative toxicity of the treatments...
- Measuring and managing patient expectations for breast reconstruction: impact on quality of life and patient satisfactionAndrea L Pusic
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 12:149-58. 2012..Specifically, we consider how systematic measurement and management of patient expectations may improve patient education, shared medical decision-making and patient perception of outcomes...
- Blood transfusion requirements in elective breast reconstruction surgerySammy Al-Benna
Department of Plastic Surgery, St John s Hospital at Howden, Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Breast 19:475-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the utility of this MSBOS in clinical practice by assessing its performance in a validation set of patients...
- Breast reconstruction with the deep inferior epigastric perforator flap: history and an update on current techniqueJay W Granzow
UCLA Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 200 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 465 Los Angeles, CA 90095 6960, USA
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:571-9. 2006..We discuss our current techniques and specific issues related to the surgery. We present the results of 1095 cases of free tissue transfers from the abdomen for reconstruction of the breast...
- Morbidity of microsurgical breast reconstruction in patients with comorbid conditionsKatrin Seidenstuecker
Sana Kliniken Düsseldorf, Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Interdisciplinary Breast Center of Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 127:1086-92. 2011..This study has investigated the relevance of these conditions...
- Scars and perforator-based flaps in the abdominal region: a contraindication?Adrian Dragu
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University of Erlangen Nürnberg Medical Center, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Can J Surg 53:137-42. 2010..To date, little research has been conducted on the regeneration potential of the abdominal wall's superficial vascular, perforator and choke vessel system after surgery using a vertical approache...
- Outcome comparison between free and pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstruction in the obese patientS L Moran
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY 14642, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:1954-60; discussion 1961-2. 2001..Surgeons should use the technique with which they are most familiar to obtain consistent results...
- Usefulness of breast-volume replacement using an inframammary adipofascial flap after breast-conservation therapyTomoko Ogawa
Department of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery and Breast Surgery, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Mie, Japan
Am J Surg 193:514-8. 2007..We believe this to be a useful surgical modality for the reconstruction of BCT in the inferior portion breast cancer...
- Comparison of immediate and delayed free TRAM flap breast reconstruction in patients receiving postmastectomy radiation therapyN V Tran
Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:78-82. 2001..These findings indicate that, in patients who are candidates for free TRAM flap breast reconstruction and need postmastectomy radiation therapy, reconstruction should be delayed until radiation therapy is complete...
- Patient-reported aesthetic satisfaction with breast reconstruction during the long-term survivorship PeriodEmily S Hu
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, The University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Mich 48109 0340, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:1-8. 2009..The authors' goal was to evaluate long-term patient-reported aesthetic satisfaction with expander/implant and autogenous breast reconstruction...
- The effect of radiation on pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstruction: outcomes and implicationsScott L Spear
Division of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:84-95. 2005..The authors recommend that TRAM flap breast reconstruction be postponed in those patients known or expected to receive postmastectomy radiation...
- Skin-sparing mastectomyGiles H Cunnick
Department of Breast Surgery, St George s Hospital, Tooting, London, United Kingdom
Am J Surg 188:78-84. 2004..It facilitates immediate breast reconstruction using an implant or myocutaneous flap, resulting in excellent cosmesis...
- Critical analysis of reduction mammaplasty techniques in combination with conservative breast surgery for early breast cancer treatmentAlexandre Mendonça Munhoz
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1091-103; discussion 1104-7. 2006Although reduction mammaplasty is a well-described technique for aesthetic purposes, there are few previous reports regarding its application and clinical outcome following conservative breast surgery reconstruction...
- Improving breast cancer surgery: a classification and quadrant per quadrant atlas for oncoplastic surgeryKrishna B Clough
Department of Surgery, The Paris Breast Center, L institut du Sein, Paris, France
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1375-91. 2010..OPS is based upon the integration of plastic surgery techniques for immediate reshaping after wide excision for breast cancer. A simple guide for choosing the appropriate OPS procedure is not available...
- Outcomes of bilateral mammoplasty for early stage breast cancerF Caruso
Surgical Oncology Department, Humanitas Centro Catanese di Oncologia, Via Dabormida 64, 95100 Catania, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:1143-7. 2008..Long-term oncological follow-up of oncoplastic breast surgery...
- Postmastectomy reconstruction of the breast using the latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flapDennis C Hammond
Center for Breast and Body Contouring, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546, USA
Cancer J 14:248-52. 2008..This procedure is presented as an excellent option for those patients who present for breast reconstruction after mastectomy...
- Postoperative complications in prosthesis-based breast reconstruction using acellular dermal matrixAllen S Liu
Division of Plastic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 127:1755-62. 2011..The authors' aim was to determine whether acellular dermal matrix use in immediate prosthesis-based breast reconstruction is associated with higher rate of complications...
- A multi-institutional analysis of the socioeconomic determinants of breast reconstruction: a study of the National Comprehensive Cancer NetworkCaprice K Christian
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, and Department of Breast Medical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Surg 243:241-9. 2006..To determine the rate of postmastectomy reconstruction and investigate the impact of socioeconomic status on the receipt of reconstruction...
- Infectious complications following breast reconstruction with expanders and implantsMaurice Y Nahabedian
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:467-76. 2003..29 times higher than when no lymph nodes were removed. No significant association between implant infection and age, diabetes, tobacco use, tumor stage, timing of implant insertion, or chemotherapy was found...
- Oncological and cosmetic outcomes of oncoplastic breast conserving surgeryK S Asgeirsson
Nottingham Breast Institute, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:817-23. 2005..Partial breast reconstructive techniques may improve cosmesis and patient satisfaction without compromising the oncological outcomes...
- Oncologic safety of skin-sparing mastectomyS Eva Singletary
Ann Surg Oncol 10:95-7. 2003
- Practical guidelines for repair of partial mastectomy defects using the breast reduction technique in patients undergoing breast conservation therapySteven J Kronowitz
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1755-68. 2007..The authors previously compared the local tissue rearrangement, breast reduction, and latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction techniques for repairing partial mastectomy defects and showed the benefits of breast reduction...
- Effect of obesity on flap and donor-site complications in free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap breast reconstructionD W Chang
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:1640-8. 2000..Patients who are morbidly obese are at very high risk of failure and complications and should avoid any type of TRAM flap breast reconstruction...
- Assessment of cosmesis after breast reconstruction surgery: a systematic reviewShelley Potter
Academic Surgical Research Unit, School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Ann Surg Oncol 18:813-23. 2011..This review summarises current methods for assessing cosmesis after reconstructive surgery and makes recommendations for future practice...
- Multidetector-row computed tomography in the planning of abdominal perforator flapsJ Masia
Plastic Surgery Department, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona, Sant Antoni M Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:594-9. 2006..This information allows reduction of operating time and safer performance of surgery. The multidetector-row computer tomography is a highly effective tool in the preoperative study of abdominal perforator flaps...
- Oncoplastic breast surgery for cancer: analysis of 540 consecutive cases [outcomes article]Alfred D Fitoussi
Departments of Surgery and Biostatistics, Institut Curie, Paris, France
Plast Reconstr Surg 125:454-62. 2010..Synchronous plastic and oncological surgery is undertaken to improve the security of excision margins and yield high-quality aesthetic outcomes when conventional breast-conserving therapy either anticipates poor results or is not possible...
- Immediate reconstruction using thoracodorsal adipofascial flap after partial mastectomyYuko Kijima
Department of Surgical Oncology, Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences 8 35 1, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, Japan
Breast 18:126-9. 2009..Here, we describe a simple technique for reconstruction of the defect on the outer upper part of the breast with early breast cancer using thoracodorsal adipofascial flap...
- Is mastectomy still justified--and if, in which patients?Werner Audretsch
Onkologie 29:243-5. 2006
- A detailed analysis of the reduction mammaplasty learning curve: a statistical process model for approaching surgical performance improvementMatthew J Carty
Harvard Combined Plastic Surgery Residency Program, Division of Plastic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:706-14. 2009..In-process analyses that allow rapid feedback to the surgeon based on surrogate markers may provide a powerful method for quality improvement...
- Satisfaction and quality of life in women who undergo breast surgery: a qualitative studyAnne F Klassen
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, 3A 1200 Main Street W, Hamilton, ON, L8N 3Z5, Canada
BMC Womens Health 9:11. 2009..We aimed to describe how breast conditions and breast surgery impact on patient satisfaction and quality of life...
- Postoperative morphine requirements of free TRAM and DIEP flapsS S Kroll
Department of Plastic Surgery at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 107:338-41. 2001..It was concluded that the use of the DIEP flap does reduce the patient requirement for postoperative pain medication and therefore presumably reduces postoperative pain. It may also slightly shorten hospital stay...
- Oncological safety of skin sparing mastectomy followed by immediate reconstruction for locally advanced breast cancerWoosung Lim
Department of Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Surg Oncol 102:39-42. 2010..The purpose of this study is to examine the oncological safety of SSM followed by immediate reconstruction for locally advanced breast cancer...
- Effect of obesity on flap and donor-site complications in pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstructionScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D C 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:788-95. 2007..This study examined the effect of obesity on complications in patients undergoing pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstruction...
- Immediate breast reconstruction can impact postmastectomy irradiationNaomi R Schechter
Departments of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 28:485-94. 2005..The purpose of this study was to qualitatively assess the effect of immediate reconstruction on the design of postmastectomy radiotherapy fields at our institution...
- Factors determining shape and symmetry in immediate breast reconstructionDonald A Hudson
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Plast Surg 52:15-21. 2004..015, Mann-Whitney U test). These factors need to be considered when planning breast reconstruction to optimize the aesthetic result...
- Assessment of immediate conservative breast surgery reconstruction: a classification system of defects revisited and an algorithm for selecting the appropriate techniqueAlexandre Mendonça Munhoz
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Brazil
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:716-27. 2008..The objectives of this study were to establish a classification system for partial breast defects and to develop a reconstructive algorithm...
- Local recurrence of stage 1 and 2 breast cancer after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction in a 15-year seriesT J Meretoja
Department of Plastic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, P O Box 266, FI 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:1142-5. 2007....
- Late results of skin-sparing mastectomy followed by immediate breast reconstructionT J Meretoja
Department of Plastic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Surg 94:1220-5. 2007..Concerns persist that SSM might increase the rate of local recurrence as the surgical approach is less extensive. Patients who had SSM and IBR over 10 years at a single institution were reviewed...
- Aesthetic outcomes in breast conservation therapyHoward T Wang
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Aesthet Surg J 28:165-70. 2008..Traditionally, only patients who have undergone total mastectomy have been referred for reconstruction...
- Immediate breast reconstruction after mastectomy increases wound complications: however, initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy is not delayedMelinda M Mortenson
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento 95817, USA
Arch Surg 139:988-91. 2004..The indications for chemotherapy in breast cancer are expanding and wound complications following mastectomy may delay the initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy...
- True incidence of all complications following immediate and delayed breast reconstructionStephen R Sullivan
Polyclinic and the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:19-28. 2008..To determine methods that optimized results with minimal morbidity, the authors examined their results and complications based on reconstruction method and timing...
- Breast amputation correction of a horse bite using the lipomodeling techniqueChristophe Ho Quoc
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Centre régional Léon Bérard, Lyon, France
Aesthet Surg J 33:93-6. 2013..In our experience, fat transfer was a safe and reliable technique that provided a good and stable aesthetic result, improving the volume and shape without additional scarring or implant devices...
- Randomized clinical trial of single-dose antibiotic prophylaxis for non-reconstructive breast surgeryJ C Hall
School of Surgery and Pathology, Royal Perth Hospital, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Br J Surg 93:1342-6. 2006..The aim of this randomized clinical trial was to determine whether a single intravenous dose of 2 g flucloxacillin could prevent wound infection after primary non-reconstructive breast surgery...
- Human acellular dermis versus no acellular dermis in tissue expansion breast reconstructionJoseph W Parks
Plastic Surgery Group of Memphis, Tenn, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 130:739-46. 2012..Recently, concerns have arisen about an increase in postoperative complications with its use...
- Preoperative imaging for DIEA perforator flaps: a comparative study of computed tomographic angiography and Doppler ultrasoundWarren M Rozen
Jack Brockhoff Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Research Unit, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:9-16. 2008..This is the first study to formally compare preoperative Doppler ultrasound with computed tomographic angiography for imaging the DIEA...
- Pneumothorax as a complication of breast augmentationJohn M Osborn
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento, California, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1122-6; discussion 1127-8. 2005..Pneumothorax is a recognized complication of breast augmentation which, until now, was thought to be rare. The authors hypothesize that it is more common than generally appreciated...
- Does partial expander deflation exacerbate the adverse effects of radiotherapy in two-stage breast reconstruction?Burcu Celet Ozden
Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
World J Surg Oncol 10:44. 2012..The optimum protocol for expander volume adjustment with respect to the timing and application of radiotherapy remains controversial...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of complications associated with acellular dermal matrix-assisted breast reconstructionGoretti Ho
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Ann Plast Surg 68:346-56. 2012..The purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine an aggregate estimate of risks associated with ADM-assisted breast reconstruction...
- Giant hamartoma of the breast treated by the mammaplasty approachFernando Hernanz
ANZ J Surg 78:216-7. 2008
- Mammographic findings after breast augmentation with autologous fat injectionJenny Carvajal
Colombian Society of Plastic, Aesthetic, Maxillofacial and Hand Surgery
Aesthet Surg J 28:153-62. 2008....
- Obesity alters rat abdominal flap survivalRonald E Reyna
Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Am Surg 72:764-71; discussion 771-2. 2006..This study is the first to introduce a promising animal model for examining the effect of obesity on increased flap-related complications in breast reconstruction using autologous tissue...
- The information needs of women who have undergone breast reconstruction. Part II: Information giving and content of informationLisa Wolf
Breast Care, Royal Marsden Hospital, Downs Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5PT, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 8:315-24. 2004..Those involved in imparting information to women about such surgery should be aware of the type of information that is considered relevant, the manner in which it should be delivered and timing factors that implicate on the process...
- Immediate post-mastectomy breast reconstruction followed by radiotherapy: risk factors for complicationsDidier Cowen
Radiotherapy Department, Timone Hospital, rue Saint Pierre, 13005 Marseille, France
Breast Cancer Res Treat 121:627-34. 2010..Three factors may be used to select patients likely to benefit from this technique with a low failure rate...
- Analysis of nipple/areolar involvement with mastectomy: can the areola be preserved?Rache M Simmons
Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 9:165-8. 2002..Most patients undergoing SSM desire reconstruction of the nipple/areolar complex for symmetry. These data explore the possibility of preserving the areola in selected mastectomy patients...
- Reduction mammaplasty is a functional operation, improving quality of life in symptomatic women: a prospective, single-center breast reduction outcome studyJerome D Chao
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 110:1644-52; discussion 1653-4. 2002....
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomyZdravko Roje
Division for Plastic Surgery and Burns, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Center Split, Split, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:113-23. 2010..The result should confirm that breast reconstruction after mastectomy is justified, especially in young women, as well as how essential is team work involved in breast cancer operation and breast reconstruction after mastectomy...
- Recurrence following treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ with skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstructionAldona J Spiegel
Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:706-11. 2003....
- Reduction mammaplasty in a developing country: a guideline for plastic surgeons for patient selectionPius Agbenorku
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, School of Medical Sciences, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, PO Box 448, Kumasi, Ghana
Aesthetic Plast Surg 36:91-6. 2012In Ghana and most developing countries there has been no standardized study of reduction mammaplasty (RM) in patients with symptomatic macromastia (SM), despite its debilitating effects...
- The effectiveness of surgical and nonsurgical interventions in relieving the symptoms of macromastiaE Dale Collins
Department of Surgery, Section of Plastic Surgery, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:1556-66. 2002..In this population, conservative measures such as weight loss, physical therapy, special brassieres, and medications did not provide effective permanent relief of symptoms...
- Bilateral breast reconstruction with DIEP flaps: 4 years' experienceLubos Drazan
Clinic of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Faculty Hospital St Anna, Berkova 34, 61200, Brno, Czech Republic
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:1309-15. 2008..There was 100% flap survival and no microanastomoses revisions. In 11 patients (10%) the surgeon preferred to convert the DIEP into a mini transverse rectus abdominis muscle (miniTRAM) flap in order to provide adequate blood supply...
- Acellular dermal matrix slings in tissue expander breast reconstruction: are there substantial benefits?George N Collis
Division of Plastic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Ann Plast Surg 68:425-8. 2012..This study suggests inferolateral ADM slings in expander-based breast reconstruction allow for significantly increased initial fill volumes and may offer an aesthetic advantage; however, its use is costly and increases complications...
- Histologic findings in normal breast tissues: comparison to reduction mammaplasty and benign breast disease tissuesAmy C Degnim
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 133:169-77. 2012..for the Cure Tissue Bank at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center (KTB), (2) women who underwent reduction mammaplasty (RM) at Mayo Clinic Rochester, and (3) the Mayo Clinic Benign Breast Disease Cohort Study (BBD)...
- Breast Reconstruction with the free TRAM or DIEP flap: patient selection, choice of flap, and outcomeMaurice Y Nahabedian
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Baltimore, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 110:466-75; discussion 476-7. 2002..The incidence of lower abdominal bulge is reduced after DIEP flap reconstruction (p < 0.001). The DIEP flap can be an excellent option for properly selected women...
- Viability and sensation of the nipple-areolar complex after reduction mammaplastyMaurice Y Nahabedian
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann Plast Surg 49:24-31; discussion 31-2. 2002Reduction mammaplasty with nipple-areolar transposition on a medial pedicle was designed as an alternative to amputation and free nipple graft for women with severe mammary hypertrophy...
- Tamoxifen increases the risk of microvascular flap complications in patients undergoing microvascular breast reconstructionBrian P Kelley
Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77230 1402, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 129:305-14. 2012..Some centers have implemented protocols to temporarily stop tamoxifen before microvascular breast reconstruction. The authors sought to determine whether this practice is warranted...
- Current techniques in preoperative imaging for abdomen-based perforator flap microsurgical breast reconstructionDavid W Mathes
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 6410, USA
J Reconstr Microsurg 26:3-10. 2010....
- P53-dependent responses to toxicants in parous and nulliparous breastD Joseph Jerry; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Breast Cancer GWAS: Function and Environmental InteractionsMichael A Newton; Fiscal Year: 2013..This model will also provide functional information underlying genetic/environmental risk that could lead to strategies for risk reduction to this disease. ..
- CpG Island Methylator Phenotypes in Breast CancerTim H M Huang; Fiscal Year: 2011..This type of epigenetic studies will be useful for identifying patients with resistant-CIMPs for alternative therapies in the future. ..
- A spatially-modulated scatter imaging system to detect tumor-associated stromaWENDY ANNE WELLS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Biological role of modifications to C/EBPbeta-1 and -2Linda Sealy; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important insights into how misregulated C/EBPbeta isoform expression may contribute to the development of metastatic mammary carcinoma. ..
- BREAST TUMOR PROXIMAL STROMA INTERACTION AND AROMATASESerdar Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2000..We believe that these studies will provide new insights into the role of peritumoral adipose stroma in supporting tumor growth. ..
- GENETIC ABNORMALITIES EARLY ON THE PATH OF BREAST CANCERCarol Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..Studies are outlined with the first identified candidate, p57KIP2. These investigations should illuminate genetic events instrumental in the initial steps of breast carcinogenesis. ..
- Polycyclic Hydrocarbons and CYP1B1 in Breast CancerColin Jefcoate; Fiscal Year: 2005..The correlation with CYP1B 1 expression and activity will provide insight into the relationship of the mouse model to human breast cancer. ..
- Microarray Analysis of WoundsAMY COLWELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize these genes can be used to modulate the biology of adult wound healing. This first step will form our basis for developing treatment to induce scarless healing. ..
- Evaluating Expectations for Breast ReconstructionAndrea Pusic; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Regulation of Human Breast Cancer DormancyNANCY DEMORE; Fiscal Year: 2008..These genes could be pharmacogenomic targets for future treatment strategies. ..
- Genomic Methylation: A Mechanism to Alter Tumor PhenotypeBernard Futscher; Fiscal Year: 2009..2) Define further the mechanism by which reversal of genetic and epigenetic lesions synergize to reactivate silenced genes. 3) Identify new genes that are controlled by 5-methylcytosine in breast cancer. ..
- Osteoporosis Prevention in Early Stage Breast CancerDawn Hershman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF MICROSATELLITE INSTABILITY IN BREAST CANCERJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2002..The knowledge gained through this exploratory work will establish the basis for more in dept studies in the role of mismatch repair in breast cancer. ..
- 3D Adipose Tissue Generation and Functional VerificationCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Primary Hormonal Therapy for DCIS of the BreastEUN SIL HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2008..If patients could safely be spared from cancer progression while avoiding the morbidity of surgery and radiation for DCIS, the full benefit of early breast cancer detection could be realized. ..
- Microarray Technology to Profile CpG Island MethylationBernard Futscher; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) Develop and implement a public database for the dissemination and mining of the CGI array data ..
- Genomic Markers of Breast Cancer Prevention Induced by hCG in Women at High RiskJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2008..This knowledge will serve as the basis for establishing novel genomic signatures as intermediate biomarkers for larger preventive clinical trials at the completion of this project. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Breast Cancer Tissue ResourcesJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Immunopathogenesis of HIV-1 Infection: Role of MethamphetamineMadhavan P Nair; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Changes in sexual function following bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is innovative, as it will provide new and important information on the long-term effects of bariatric surgery on these important areas of quality of life. ..
- HEROIN AIDS ENCEPHALOPATHY--NEUROPATHOGENESIS MECHANISMSMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2005..Further studies will elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying the immuno- and neuropathogenic effects of heroin use in HIV-l infection, and may yield novel therapies for the treatment of heroin using, HIV-infected patients. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Pancreatic CancerDonghui Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such information will be valuable for the primary prevention of this deadly disease. ..
- Epigenetic Remodeling by Environmental ArsenicalsBernard Futscher; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Obesity, Body Image and Weight MaintenanceDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies have been selected to further develop my knowledge of the treatment of obesity, and the training program has been designed to facilitate my development as an independent investigator in the field of obesity. ..
- Genomic Basis of Reproductive History on Breast CancerJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- AIDS encephalopathy and HIV disease: role of opioidsMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Communication Between Patients and their ProvidersPATRICIA PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Retrospective validation of putative breast cancer predictive molecular markersIndira Poola; Fiscal Year: 2008..Detection at the precancerous stage and treatment could lead to fewer incidences of breast cancer and deaths from it. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Telephone Counseling: Men w/Prostate CA & PartnersTerry Badger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will be analyzed through descriptive statistics, a series of two-way mixed design ANOVAs and individual regression analyses. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neoadjuvant Cytokine Immunotherapy by PLA MicrospheresMichael Sabel; Fiscal Year: 2007..I will pursue this area of investigation as a full-time faculty member, with full commitment from the Department of General Surgery and the Division of Surgical Oncology at the University of Michigan Medical Center. ..
- CIS-Initiated Calls: Can We Enhance Information Services for Latino Patients?Celia Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epigenetic Changes Induced by Estrogens and Xenoestrogens in Breast CancerJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeting AKT as a novel therapy in pancreatic cancerRichard Bold; Fiscal Year: 2007..These results will provide mechanistic as well as pre-clinical data in support of our hypothesis and will allow for the development of novel therapy of human pancreatic cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cocaine/Immuno and Neuropathogenesis of HIV-1 InfectionMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies may lead to novel anti-HIV therapies such as targeting the CD4 independent, virus attachment receptor, DC-SIGN, or devising inhibitors of TDO and DC-SIGN or stimulating costimulatory molecules. ..
- GENETIC & ENVIRONMENTAL RISK FACTORS FOR BLADDER CANCERMalcolm Pike; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate goal of this research is to assess individual bladder cancer risk for the purpose of preventive interventions. ..
- VASCULARIZATION IN TISSUE ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTSCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..does TEC-recipient inosculation play in TEC vascularization? (b) What are the biological functions of CD144, principally with regards to its role in inosculation and its regulation by the unique TEC microenvironment? ..
- 4-Hydroxyestradiol Receptor in Breast CancerJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2005..This plan is in line with goals 1 and 3 of the Breast Cancer Progress Review Group to better understand the biology of the normal mammary gland and of precancerous lesions. ..
- Global Summit on International Breast Health-ImplementationBenjamin Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting 2007 Implementation Guidelines will serve as a practical medical tool providing functional real world examples of "how to implement" best practices with limited health care resources. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Influence of Uncertainty and Communication on AdjustmentPATRICIA PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed K07 Research Award would allow Dr. Parker to transition into an independent researcher in cancer prevention with a focus on psycho-oncology and physician-patient communication. ..
- Developing a Tool to Improve the Quality of Breast Cancer Treatment DecisionsSarah Hawley; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project has direct relevance for improving the quality of cancer care for all women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Postoperative dietary counseling after bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study could have a significant impact on the postoperative care of these individuals. ..
- Breast Cancer Care and Survivorship in Underserved WomenRose C Maly; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Incidence & Outcomes of SSI After Breast Cancer SurgeryMargaret Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2008....