Summary: A drugless system of therapy, making use of physical forces such as air, light, water, heat, massage, etc. Treatments are often diet- and nutrition-oriented with attention given to the patient's personal history and lifestyle. (From Cassileth, Alternative Medicine Handbook, 1998, p329)
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Rise in popularity of complementary and alternative medicine: reasons and consequences for vaccinationE Ernst
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, 25 Victoria Park Road, EX2 4NT, Exeter, UK
Vaccine 20:S90-3; discussion S89. 2001..The best way forward, it seems, would be a campaign to clarify the risk-benefit profile of immunisations for both users and providers of CAM...
- Naturopathic treatment for ear pain in childrenE Michael Sarrell
Pediatric and Adolescent Ambulatory Community Clinic of the General Health Services, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatrics 111:e574-9. 2003..The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy and tolerability of naturopathic versus traditional treatment for the management of otalgia commonly associated with AOM in children...
- [Complementary medicine: phytotherapy and soyaisoflavones as phytoestrogens]J Melzer
Universitatsspital Zurich, Departement Innere Medizin, Abteilung Naturheilkunde, Zurich, Schweiz
Zentralbl Gynakol 126:138-47. 2004After a introduction concerning complementary medicine, naturopathy and phytotherapy a general view of soy isoflavones as phytoestrogens will be given...
- Naturopathy and the primary care practiceSara A Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1100 Delaplaine Court Madison, WI 53715 1896, USA
Prim Care 37:119-36. 2010b>Naturopathy is a distinct type of primary care medicine that blends age-old healing traditions with scientific advances and current research...
- [Changes in quality of life during acute inpatient naturopathic treatment--results of the Blankenstein model]A M Beer
Modellabteilung für Naturheilkunde Klinik Blankenstein, Herdecke
Gesundheitswesen 63:242-7. 2001To check the possibilities and limitations of naturopathic treatment in in-patient care, a department of naturopathy was set up as a model project at the Hospital Blankenstein, Hattingen, in January 1997...
- A study of costs and length of stay of inpatient naturopathy--evidence from GermanyTobias Romeyke
University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology, Opernring 5 2, Vienna, Austria
Complement Ther Clin Pract 17:90-5. 2011Classical naturopathy in an acute, inpatient, internal medicine setting is rare in Germany. Procedure 8-975 regulates the structures and processes for providing naturopathic complex therapy in German hospitals...
- A qualitative study of naturopathy in rural practice: a focus upon naturopaths' experiences and perceptions of rural patients and demands for their servicesJon L Wardle
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Public Health Building, Herston Rd, Herston 4006, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 10:185. 2010Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use--of which naturopathy constitutes a significant proportion--accounts for approximately half of all health consultations and half of out-of-pocket expenditure in Australia...
- [Evaluation of inpatient naturopathic treatment--the Blankenstein model. Part II: Effective strength and health status of patients over the course of time]T Ostermann
Lehrstuhl für Medizintheorie und Komplementärmedizin der Fakultät für Medizin, Universitat Witten Herdecke, Germany
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 9:269-76. 2002..and limits of naturopathic treatment within the field of inpatient care, in January 1997 a model department of naturopathy was established at the Hospital Blankenstein, Hattingen...
- Regulation of complementary/alternative medicine: a Canadian perspectiveH Boon
University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Complement Ther Med 10:14-9. 2002..naturopathic practitioners, acupuncture/TCM practitioners) are regulated in some provinces, but not others. Harmonization of regulations and scopes of practice for CAM practitioners across Canada is one of the biggest future challenges...
- [Evaluation of in-hospital treatment with naturopathic methods - the 'Blankenstein model'. Part I: Patients and therapeutic concepts]A M Beer
, Klinik Blankenstein, Hattingen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 8:6-13. 2001BACKGROUND: In January 1997 the department for naturopathy with 60 beds has been established at the Catholic Hospital St. Elisabeth, Blankenstein, and was taken into consideration in Northrhine-Westphalia's plan of hospital budgets...
- On the use of classical naturopathy and complementary medicine procedures in hospitals and clinics practicing gynecology and obstetrics in Germany. Results of a questionnaire surveyA M Beer
Department of True Naturopathy, Blankenstein Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Witten Herdecke, Witten Herdecke, Germany
Gynecol Obstet Invest 55:73-81. 2003Classical naturopathy and complementary medicine procedures are used in all industrial countries, the only difference being the extent to which they are used...
- The drive for legitimation in Australian naturopathy: successes and dilemmasHans A Baer
University of Melbourne Carlton, Vic, Australia
Soc Sci Med 63:1771-83. 2006..Ironically, naturopathy and various other complementary medical systems are taught in many public tertiary institutions...
- Role of naturopathy and yoga treatment in the management of hypertensionS N Murthy
INYS Medical Research Society, Jindal Naturecure Institute, Jindal Nagar, Bangalore, India
Complement Ther Clin Pract 17:9-12. 2011The primary aim was to study the effect of naturopathy and yoga interventions in treatment of mild to moderate hypertension.
- Education in naturopathy and western herbal medicine in Australia: results of a survey of education providersPauline McCabe
School of Public Health, La Trobe University, Bundoora 3086, Victoria, Australia
Complement Ther Clin Pract 14:168-75. 2008Questions about the risks and regulatory requirements of naturopathy and western herbal medicine (WHM) in Australia prompted research by the Department of Human Services Victoria...
- Self-care dimensions of complementary and alternative medicine use among older adultsKristine Votova
Department of Sociology, University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Gerontology 53:21-7. 2007..There is a lack of understanding about the patterns and rates of CAM use among older adults owing to a lack of research on specific types of CAM...
- Naturopathic medicine and type 2 diabetes: a retrospective analysis from an academic clinicRyan Bradley
Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, USA
Altern Med Rev 11:30-9. 2006..Accurate descriptions of naturopathic medicine as a whole system of medical practice are rare in the literature and non-existent for type 2 diabetes...
- Cost-effectiveness of naturopathic care for chronic low back painPatricia M Herman
Department of Psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 14:32-9. 2008....
- Characteristics of visits to licensed acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, and naturopathic physiciansDaniel C Cherkin
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle 98101, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 15:463-72. 2002..Despite growing popularity of complementary and alternative medical (CAM) therapies, little is known about the patients seen by CAM practitioners. Our objective was to describe the patients and problems seen by CAM practitioners...
- Naturopaths practice behaviour: provision and access to information on complementary and alternative medicinesCaroline Smith
School of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
BMC Complement Altern Med 5:15. 2005..The aim of this study was to examine the practice behaviours of naturopaths in relation to both the provision of and access to information on complementary and alternative medicines (CAM)...
- Characteristics of pediatric and adolescent patients attending a naturopathic college clinic in CanadaKumanan Wilson
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 115:e338-43. 2005..We also determined factors associated with the use of CAM products and vaccination status...
- Description of clinical risk factor changes during naturopathic care for type 2 diabetesRyan Bradley
Bastyr University Research Center, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:633-8. 2009..Publications suggest a high incidence of health promotion counseling in naturopathic practice, yet clinical data on risk factor changes are not available in the literature...
- Naturopathic and Western herbal medicine practice in Australia-a workforce surveyA Bensoussan
The Centre for Complementary Medicine Research, University of Western Sydney, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith South DC, NSW 1797, Australia
Complement Ther Med 12:17-27. 2004..This study aimed to examine the nature of these practices and this currently unregulated workforce in Australia...
- The Herdecke Questionnaire on Quality of Life (HLQ): validation of factorial structure and development of a short form within a naturopathy treated in-patient collectiveThomas Ostermann
Faculty of Medicine, University of Witten Herdecke, Germany
Health Qual Life Outcomes 3:40. 2005..The validation has been carried out in relation to other questionnaires including the SF-36 Health Survey, the Mood-Scale Bf-S, the Giessen Physical Complaints Questionnaire GBB-24 and McGill's Pain Perception Scale SES...
- Practice patterns of naturopathic physicians: results from a random survey of licensed practitioners in two US StatesHeather S Boon
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BMC Complement Altern Med 4:14. 2004..S., little is known about the practice of CAM providers. The objective of this study was to describe and compare the practice patterns of naturopathic physicians in Washington State and Connecticut...
- Visiting family physicians and naturopathic practitioners. Comparing patient-practitioner interactionsHeather Boon
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can Fam Physician 49:1481-7. 2003..To explore similarities and differences in patient visits with family physicians (FPs) and naturopathic practitioners (NPs)...
- A survey of attitudes towards paediatric vaccinations amongst Canadian naturopathic studentsKumanan Wilson
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont M5G 2C4, Canada
Vaccine 22:329-34. 2004....
- NaturopathyMichael J Smith
Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Clin North Am 86:173-84. 2002..Although the exact role has yet to be determined, the eclectic approach taken by naturopathic physicians may be of benefit in this evolutionary process...
- CAM: naturopathic dietary interventions for patients with type 2 diabetesErica B Oberg
Bastyr University Research Institute, Kenmore WA 98128, USA
Complement Ther Clin Pract 17:157-61. 2011..To test feasibility, acceptability, and preliminary effectiveness of a naturopathic dietary intervention in patients with Type 2 diabetes...
- The sociopolitical status of U.S. naturopathy at the dawn of the 21st centuryH A Baer
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Arkansas, Little Rock, USA
Med Anthropol Q 15:329-46. 2001..Nevertheless, U.S. naturopathy as a professionalized heterodox medical system faces several dilemmas as it enters the new millennium...
- Complementary and alternative medical treatment of breast cancer: a survey of licensed North American naturopathic physiciansLeanna J Standish
Bastyr University Research Institute, Kenmore, Wash, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 8:74-6, 78-81. 2002..Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use is on the rise in the United States, especially for breast cancer patients. Many CAM therapies are delivered by licensed naturopathic physicians using individualized treatment plans...
- "Neurocranial restructuring" and homeopathy, neither complementary nor alternativeKimball C Atwood
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:1356-7. 2003
- Issues in credentialing CAM providersCynthia A Parkman
California State University, Sacramento, USA
Case Manager 15:24-7. 2004
- Complementary and alternative medicine in multiple sclerosis: survey of licensed naturopathsLynne Shinto
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:891-7. 2004..This paper describes the treatments and treatment outcome measures used by licensed naturopathic physicians in the United States who treat people with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- CAM is gaining strength around the worldStephen Young
MedGenMed 6:39. 2004
- Natural remedies and nutraceuticals used in ethnoveterinary practices in inland southern ItalyA Pieroni
School of Life Sciences, University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
Vet Res Commun 28:55-80. 2004..Pharmacological and toxicological considerations relating to possible applications of the recorded traditional knowledge in modern evidence-based veterinary medicine are also discussed...
- High sensitivity 1H-NMR spectroscopy of homeopathic remedies made in waterDavid J Anick
Harvard Medical School Mailman Building 123, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 4:15. 2004..High sensitivity proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy has not previously been used to look for evidence of differences between UD remedies and controls...
- [Implementation of the new Federal Medical Licensing Regulations for doctors in the interdisciplinary subject "Rehabilitation, physical medicine, naturopathic treatment" by the German medical faculties]W Mau
Institut für Rehabilitationsmedizin, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
Rehabilitation (Stuttg) 44:129-33. 2005..Further improvement of general teaching conditions is necessary in order to utilize all the opportunities offered by the new Federal Medical Regulations...
- Functional chronic pain syndromes and naturopathic treatments: neurobiological foundationsFrauke Musial
Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Forsch Komplementmed 15:97-103. 2008..Further clarification of the mechanisms of action of reflex therapies will support their clinical evidence and add to our understanding of the neurobiology of complementary medicine...
- Perioperative anesthesia clinical considerations of alternative medicinesAlan D Kaye
Department of Anesthesiology, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th Street, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Anesthesiol Clin North America 22:125-39. 2004..There is a need to conduct additional scientific clinical trials to study the anesthetic responses to commonly used nutraceutical agents...
- Selected CAM therapies for arthritis-related pain: the evidence from systematic reviewsKaren L Soeken
Complementary Medicine Program, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Kernan Hospital Mansion, 2200 Kernan Drive, Baltimore, MD 21207, USA
Clin J Pain 20:13-8. 2004..The purpose is to examine what is known about the efficacy of selected complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies for pain from arthritis and related conditions based on systematic reviews and meta-analyses...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine in Germany - a survey of patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseStefanie Joos
Department of General Practice and Health Services Research, University of Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Complement Altern Med 6:19. 2006..Previous studies have suggested an increasing use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The aim of our study was to evaluate the use of CAM in German patients with IBD...
- Integrative perspectives. Integrating Bach flower remedies into a therapeutic practiceMary Ann LaTorre
Perspect Psychiatr Care 42:140-3. 2006
- Integrative tumor board: metastatic renal cell carcinoma: integrative physician's perspectiveKeith I Block
Medical Director, Block Center for Integrative Cancer Care, 1800 Sherman Ave, Suite 515, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 3:44-6. 2004
- [Naturopathic therapy for acute otitis media. An alternative to the primary use of antibiotics]T P U Wustrow
HNO Gemeinschaftspraxis, Munchen
HNO 53:728-34. 2005..First line antibiotic treatment of uncomplicated acute otitis media has been questioned...
- Esoteric healing traditions: a conceptual overviewJeff Levin
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Explore (NY) 4:101-12. 2008..Finally, the implications of this survey of esoteric healing are discussed for clinicians, biomedical researchers, and medical educators...
- [Complementary therapies]H Matthes
Z Gastroenterol 41:52-3. 2003
- Alternative cancer therapies can be dangerous. "Natural" and "herbal" are not synonymous with "safe"Carolyn D Runowicz
Health News 9:1-2. 2003
- Tuareg ethnoveterinary treatments of camel diseases in Agadez area (Niger)N Antoine-Moussiaux
Tropical Veterinary Institute, University of Liege, 20 Boulevard de Colonster, B43 4000 Liege, Belgium
Trop Anim Health Prod 39:83-9. 2007..This broadmindedness allows the introduction of modern veterinary medicine. Factors such as the lack of real production objectives constitute limits to this progress, however...
- Utilization, patient satisfaction, and cost implications of acupuncture, massage, and naturopathic medicine offered as covered health benefits: a comparison of two delivery modelsD Stewart
Advantis Tucson, Ariz, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 7:66-70. 2001..The high level of satisfaction with CAM services and self-reported decrease in the use of pain medications suggests the need for prospective studies examining the effect of CAM treatments...
- [Symptoms in the absence of an organic cause? Utilize the powers of mother nature--it pays]H S Fuessl
Geschäftsführender Schriftleiter MMW Fortschritte der Medizin, Bezirkskrankenhaus, Haar
MMW Fortschr Med 148:25. 2006
- Training in and use of diagnostic techniques among CAM practitioners: an Australian studySandra Grace
Department of Health and Chiropractic, Macquarie University, New South Wales, Australia
J Altern Complement Med 12:695-700. 2006....
- Credentialing complementary and alternative medical providersDavid M Eisenberg
Division for Research and Education in Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies, Osher Institute, Harvard Medical School, Suite 22A, 401 Park Drive, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:965-73. 2002..The suggested framework balances the desire to protect the public from dangerous practices against the wish to grant patients access to reasonably safe and effective therapies...
- [Does there exist one specific "view of man" in naturopathy / complementary medicine?]Jörg Melzer
Institut für Naturheilkunde, Depart für Innere Medizin, Universitätspital Zürich, Ramistrasse 100, 1091 Zürich, Switzerland
Forsch Komplementmed 13:210-9. 2006..Practitioners and users of naturopathic therapies claim that one of the assumptions underlying their work is a holistic "view of man"...
- Naturopathic medicine: what can patients expect?Nancy Dunne
American Association Naturopathic Physicians, Washington, DC, USA
J Fam Pract 54:1067-72. 2005
- The real alternative medicine: reconsidering conventional medicineMark A Hyman
Altern Ther Health Med 11:10-2. 2005
- Ethnobotanical notes about some uses of medicinal plants in Alto Tirreno Cosentino area (Calabria, Southern Italy)Maria Lucia Leporatti
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Università La Sapienza P, le A, Moro, 5 Roma, Italia
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:34. 2007..In the area studied medicinal plants still play a small role among farmers, shepherds and other people who live far from villages and built-up areas...
- Braised liver with herbs: the risks of naturopathic hepatoprotectionLuca Miele
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:344. 2005
- The scope of naturopathic medicine in Canada: an emerging professionMarja J Verhoef
Department of Community Health Sciences, The University of Calgary, Alta, Canada
Soc Sci Med 63:409-17. 2006..The future of naturopathic medicine will depend on how effectively the profession will use available strategies to overcome barriers to statutory self-regulation...
- Survey of parents on the use of naturopathic medicine in children--characteristics and reasonsBrenda Leung
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Complement Ther Clin Pract 14:98-104. 2008..Most parents reported combining naturopathic and conventional care for their children. Study limitations, in particular, selection bias, were discussed...
- Natural health products: new labels, new credibility?Wayne Kondro
CMAJ 170:941. 2004
- Thomas Rau, MD: pioneer of Swiss biological medicine--the future of natural healing. Interview by Mark Myman and Syzanne SnyderThomas Rau
Altern Ther Health Med 13:68-74. 2007
- Joseph Pizzorno, ND: advancing the field of natural medicine. Interview by Karolyn A. Gazella and Suzanne SnyderJoseph Pizzorno
Altern Ther Health Med 12:54-60. 2006
- Traditional systems of medicineKamala Shankar
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, 3801 Miranda Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94404, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 15:725-47, v. 2004..This article reviews some of the most commonly practiced traditional medical systems. A common factor noted in several traditional systems is a holistic approach to the well-being of a person's body, mind, and spirit...
- A pilot and feasibility study on the effects of naturopathic botanical and dietary interventions on sex steroid hormone metabolism in premenopausal womenHeather Greenlee
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 7th Floor, 722 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10028, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1601-9. 2007..Overall, in this pilot study, the naturopathic interventions had no substantial effects on estrogen measures. Early-follicular phase androgens decreased with the botanical supplement...
- Bioactive natural compounds for the treatment of gastrointestinal disordersSubrata Ghosh
Department of Gastroenterology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, U K
Clin Sci (Lond) 104:547-56. 2003....
- [National socialism health policy and the Aachen region reflected in the "West German Observer"]Jürgen Schreiber
Institut für Geschichte, Theorie und Ethik der Medizin, RWTH Aachen
Sudhoffs Arch 94:214-42. 2010..a few articles were about classic Nazi medical topics like "Erbgesundheit" (racial hygiene) and even less about naturopathy. The frequency of articles containing medical issues was very inconsistent, but only in 1934 there was a ..
- Insurance coverage and subsequent utilization of complementary and alternative medicine providersWilliam E Lafferty
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Box 357660, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:397-404. 2006..Since 1996, Washington State law has required that private health insurance cover licensed complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) providers...
- The use of complementary and alternative medical providers by insured cancer patients in Washington StateWilliam E Lafferty
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Cancer 100:1522-30. 2004..In this study, the authors evaluated CAM provider utilization by cancer patients in a state that requires the inclusion of alternative practitioners in private, commercial insurance products...
- [Evaluating traditional Chinese medicine as applied in the Clinic at Steigerwald. Part 1: Methods of assessment]Christian Schmincke
Klinik am Steigerwald, Gerolzhofen, Deutschland
Forsch Komplementmed 15:89-95. 2008..In the 'Klinik am Steigerwald' (Gerolzhofen, Germany), founded in 1996 and providing accommodation for 44 patients, European physicians apply methods of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)...
- The role of the state in the social inclusion of complementary and alternative medical occupationsMerrijoy Kelner
Institute for Human Development, Life Course and Aging, University of Toronto, 222 College Street, Suite 106, Toronto, Canada M5T 3J1
Complement Ther Med 12:79-89. 2004..regarding the efforts of five complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) groups (chiropractic, traditional Chinese medicine/acupuncture, naturopathy, homeopathy and Reiki) to take their place in the formal health care system.
- Delphi-derived development of a common core for measuring complementary and alternative medicine prevalenceLaurie L Lachance
Center for Managing Chronic Disease, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:489-94. 2009..the inclusion of herbal medicine, acupuncture, homeopathy, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), chiropractic, naturopathy, osteopathy, Ayurvedic medicine, and massage therapy in the core practitioner-based CAM list, and for ..
- ['Biomedicine' in anthropological literature. The career of a concept between analysis and polemics]Walter Bruchhausen
Medizinhistorisches Institut, Universitat Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str Bonn, Deutschland
NTM 18:497-522. 2010..The rather ate German reception included replacing the term Schulmedizin born of older controversies on naturopathy, as well as naming the more somatic part of illness and medicine-as opposed to psychic or social aspects-and ..
- Implications for education in complementary and alternative medicine: a survey of entry attitudes in students at five health professional schoolsAnne R Nedrow
Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:381-6. 2007....
- In the interest of all who value their purse and their health: a brief history of the ''Vereniging tegen de Kwakzalverij''--Society Against Quackery--of the NetherlandsCees N M Renckens
Dutch Society Against Quackery, Netherlands
Eval Health Prof 32:343-8. 2009..medicine, of which Chinese acupuncture, homeopathy, manipulative therapy, anthroposophical medicine, and naturopathy are prominent targets...
- [Complementary therapy in palliative medicine]J Hübner
Palliativmedizin, supportive und komplementäre Onkologie, Universitäres Centrum für Tumorerkrankungen, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60595, Frankfurt am Main
Internist (Berl) 52:36-41. 2011..In contrast to the methods of conventional medicine naturopathy as a holistic system has positive meanings for patients and their family...
- [Alternative medicine therapy in dermatology: dimensions, chances and approaches to an integrative understanding]M Augustin
Universitäts Hautklinik Freiburg
Forsch Komplementarmed 6:1-4. 1999..Clinical experience has shown complementary procedures, especially the classical naturopathy, to be promising supplements to conventinal therapy...
- Status of credentialing alternative providers within a subset of U.S. academic health centersAnne Nedrow
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:329-35. 2006..Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) clinical services are increasingly provided within conventional health care settings...
- Disclosure to physicians of CAM use by breast cancer patients: findings from the Women's Healthy Eating and Living StudyGordon A Saxe
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Moores UCSD Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention and Control, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0901, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 7:122-9. 2008..Therefore, this study investigated the extent of nondisclosure in a large cohort of cancer patients...
- Integration of complementary and alternative medicine into German medical school curricula -- contradictions between the opinions of decision makers and the status quoBenno Brinkhaus
Institut für Sozialmedizin, Epidemiologie und Gesundheitsökonomie, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 12:139-43. 2005..The aim of this study was to survey key decision makers at German medical schools with regard to their views on CAM and to examine the extent to which CAM has already been integrated in the German medical school system...
- 'Becoming accepted': The complementary and alternative medicine practitioners' response to the uptake and practice of traditional medicine therapies by the mainstream health sectorMarlene Wiese
Flinders University, Australia
Health (London) 14:415-33. 2010..non-mainstream practitioners from five traditional systems of medicine - Traditional Chinese Medicine,Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy and Western Herbal Medicine...
- Exploration of the use of complementary and alternative medicine among Turkish childrenCandan Ozturk
School of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University, Hemsirelik Yuksekokulu, Inciralti, Izmir, Turkiye
J Clin Nurs 17:2558-64. 2008..This study explored the use of complementary and alternative medicine among Turkish children and the factors affecting their use...
- Prevalence of nonmusculoskeletal complaints in chiropractic practice: report from a practice-based research programC Hawk
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, Davenport, Iowa 52803, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:157-69. 2001..To identify patient and practice characteristics that might contribute to people's seeking chiropractic care for nonmusculoskeletal complaints...
- Contextualizing integration: a critical social science approach to integrative health careJon Adams
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 32:792-8. 2009..practice and issues surrounding biomedicine and complementary/alternative medicine (including chiropractic, naturopathy, massage, acupuncture/oriental medicine, etc) and traditional medicine...
- Classification of complementary and alternative medical practices: Family physicians' ratings of effectivenessChristopher J Fries
Department of Sociology, 317 Isbister Bldg, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB
Can Fam Physician 54:1570-1. 2008..Physicians attributed little effectiveness to homeopathy or naturopathy, Feldenkrais or Alexander technique, Rolfing, herbal medicine, traditional Chinese medicine, and reflexology...
- A Dutch view of the ''science'' of CAM 1986--2003Cees N M Renckens
Dutch Society Against Quackery, Hoorn, Netherlands
Eval Health Prof 32:431-50. 2009..the results of this research, grouped by therapeutic category (that is, acupuncture, paranormal therapies, naturopathy, manual therapies, homeopathy and anthroposophical medicine...
- Postmodern values, attitudes and the use of complementary medicineF V O'Callaghan
School of Applied Psychology, Griffith University Gold Coast, PMB50 Gold Coast Mail Centre, Gold Coast, Queensland 9726, Australia
Complement Ther Med 11:28-32. 2003To examine the relationship between postmodern values, demographic variables and people's attitudes towards and use of acupuncture, aromatherapy and naturopathy.
- A review of complementary and alternative medicine use for treating chronic facial painCynthia D Myers
Pediatric Pain Program, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, 90024, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 133:1189-96; quiz 1259-60. 2002..The authors compiled information on the prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine, or CAM, use, as well as on reports of randomized clinical trials of CAM modalities used to treat chronic facial pain...
- Human resources for health in IndiaMohan Rao
Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Lancet 377:587-98. 2011..and mainstreaming doctors and practitioners who practice traditional Indian medicine (ayurveda, yoga and naturopathy, unani, and siddha) and homoeopathy to work in these areas while adopting other innovative ways of augmenting ..
- Naturopathy/herbalism consultations by mid-aged Australian women who have cancerJ Adams
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medical Practice and Population Health, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 14:443-7. 2005..various studies have explored the prevalence of CAM use among cancer patients, little is currently known about naturopathy/herbalism use by patients with cancer in Australia...
- Non-pharmacological management of nasal polyp: a case reportRajiv Rastogi
Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy, 61 65, Institutional Area, Janakpuri, New Delhi 110 058
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 53:380-2. 2009..e. neti kriya and naturopathy with good result...
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice degree: lessons from the history of the professional doctorate in other health disciplinesDeonne J Brown-Benedict
Seattle University, 901 12th Avenue, Garrand 306, Seattle, WA 98122 1090, USA
J Nurs Educ 47:448-57. 2008..doctorate in optometry, osteopathy, public health, pharmacy, physical therapy, audiology, chiropractic, and naturopathy. It reveals similar struggles to professionalism and the consensus drawn from doctoral development in these ..
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of complementary and alternative medicines for diabetesD Kumar
Department of Community Medicine, Government Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32 A, Chandigarh, India
Public Health 120:705-11. 2006....
- Pediatric vaccination and vaccine-preventable disease acquisition: associations with care by complementary and alternative medicine providersLois Downey
Harborview Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Box 359765, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:922-30. 2010..Primary exposures were use of chiropractic, naturopathy, acupuncture, or massage practitioner services by pediatric enrollees or members of their immediate families...
- [Using interaction-intensive therapeutic nursing measures and "home remedies" in nursing care. An explorative study as a plea for integrated nursing practice]E M Ulmer
Fachbereich Pflege und Gesundheit, Fachhochschule Frankfurt am Main University of applied sciences, Nibelungenplatz 1, D 60318 Frankfurt Main
Pflege 14:191-205. 2001....
- Use of herbal supplements and nutritional supplements in the UK: what do we know about their pattern of usage?M R Ritchie
The Herbal Medicine Research Unit, School of Life Sciences, Napier University, Edinburgh EH9 2TB, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 66:479-82. 2007..in nutritional therapy and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies, such as herbal medicine, naturopathy and homeopathy, in which therapists may provide dietary advice and advocate the use of food or herbal ..
- [Mind-body medicine as a part of German integrative medicine]G Dobos
Stiftungslehrstuhl für Naturheilkunde der Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Stiftung, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:723-8. 2006..field of integrative medicine in Germany draws upon, others being mainstream medicine, traditional European naturopathy and non-European methods like traditional Chinese medicine...
- Limited use of complementary and alternative medicine in Israeli head and neck cancer patientsYoav P Talmi
Departments of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Laryngoscope 115:1505-8. 2005..The use of complementary or alternative medicine (CAM) is growing among cancer patients. A Medline search failed to reveal any dedicated report of CAM use specifically in patients with head and neck cancer (HNC)...
- [Alternative medicine in ophthalmology?]W Behrens-Baumann
Universitatsaugenklinik, Otto von Guericke Universitat, Magdeburg
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 223:726-34. 2006In an overview new data from the literature regarding alternative/complementary medicine are presented. Naturopathy, acupuncture and homeopathy as well as new findings in placebo-research and their correlation to alternative medicine are ..
- [Comparison of treatment expenses of naturopathic and orthopedic in-patient treatment]K R Wiebelitz
Abteilung fur Naturheilkunde, Klinik Blankenstein, Hattingen
MMW Fortschr Med 151:159-68. 2010In health services research comparative studies between orthopaedics and naturopathy are necessary. They allow evidence based decisions between individual therapeutical alternatives as well as decisions on health politics, e.g...
- Building bridges: qualitative assessment of a clinical faculty exchange between a naturopathic and an allopathic medical training programRachelle L McCarty
Bastyr University Research Institute, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA, USA
Explore (NY) 7:249-53. 2011..What are the perceived benefits of a clinical exchange experience designed as part of a program to promote acceptance and use of evidence-based medicine (EBM) in naturopathic clinical practice?..
- [Non-pharmacologic measures in pain therapy. Application in 25 German hospitals]A Ewers
Paracelsus Medizinische Privatuniversitat, Institut für Pflegewissenschaft, Strubergasse 21, 5020, Salzburg, Osterreich
Schmerz 25:516-21. 2011..If and to what extent non-pharmacologic methods are applied within pain therapy in German hospitals has as yet been unknown...
- Economic evaluation of naturopathy for low back painPatricia Herman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hypothesis #2: A naturopathic package of care is more cost effective to the employer than usual care for the treatment of low back pain. ..
- Arizona Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Training ProgramIRIS ROBERTA BELL; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), homeopathy, naturopathy, indigenous healing traditions, and contemporary integrative medicine...
- Support for Research Conference on CAMRichard Rose; Fiscal Year: 2002..John's Wort (TBD). Session #2 (4 hrs.) on alternative medical systems will include naturopathy (Stephen McKernan, DO), vedic medicine (Robert Schneider, MD), Native American medicine (James Cannon, PhD, and ..
- Competitive Continuation of Insurance Financing of Integrative MedicinePaula Diehr; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since the United States is the world's number one consumer of medical care, this study on the addition of new CAM benefits and the consequences is important. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fish oil & alpha lipoic acid in mild Alzheimer's diseaseLynne Shinto; Fiscal Year: 2004..Compliance of fish oil supplementation will be assessed by red blood cell membrane fatty acid analysis. ..
- Race and Herbal Medications Among Medicare RecipientsWilliam Lafferty; Fiscal Year: 2004..African- Americans already report lower satisfaction with their medical care and frequently leave the doctor's office with unanswered questions, therefore, special educational programs may be useful. ..
- Use of Complementary and Alternative Medical (CAM) Providers by Cancer PatientsPaula Diehr; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will increase the understanding of the role CAM should play in providing supportive care for cancer patients. ..
- CAM Approaches to Air Pollution Related Health EffectsJason Allen; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term objective of this research is to rigorously examine potential CAM interventions in augmenting adverse health effects induced by pollutants that pose a substantial ongoing public health burden. ..
- Modeling Adherence to Psychotherapy for DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed research is one component of an ongoing comprehensive program to understand and increase consumer demand for effective depression treatment. ..
- Preventing CVD in Native Populations: Traditional LivingCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- Developing Patient-Centered Measures for Outcomes of CAM TherapiesCheryl K Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Choices: Family Physicians Treat Overweight ChildrenCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Children will be eligible for participation who are above the 90th percentile of BMI for age, and who can have the regular participation of at least one parent or guardian. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pilot Trial of Peer Support for Bipolar DisorderGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- Controlled Trial of an Herbal Therapy for ADHDWendy Weber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Naturopathic Treatments: Effects on Estrogen MetabolismHeather Greenlee; Fiscal Year: 2003..Data will be collected and analyzed on changes in estrogen rations and hormone profiles. ..
- POPULATION-BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. 12-18 mos) Incremental cost and cost-effectiveness of each intervention program compared to care as usual. ..
- North American Naturopathic Medical Research ConsortiumLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- METHODS IN COMPLEMENTARY/ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE & HIV/AIDSLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Center is seeking funding to complete analysis of both the AMCOA and Bastyr-Johns Hopkins MACS studies. ..
- Advances in CAM Clinical Research MethodologyCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..