Summary: A state of consciousness in which the individual eliminates environmental stimuli from awareness so that the mind can focus on a single thing, producing a state of relaxation and relief from stress. A wide variety of techniques are used to clear the mind of stressful outside interferences. It includes meditation therapy. (Mosby's Medical, Nursing, and Allied Health Dictionary, 4th ed)
Publications333 found, 100 shown here
- Meditation experience is associated with increased cortical thicknessSara W Lazar
Psychiatric Neuroimaging Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Neuroreport 16:1893-7. 2005Previous research indicates that long-term meditation practice is associated with altered resting electroencephalogram patterns, suggestive of long lasting changes in brain activity...
- Cortical thickness and pain sensitivity in zen meditatorsJoshua A Grant
Departement de Physiologie, Université de Montréal Centre de recherche en science neurologiques, Montreal, QC, Canada
Emotion 10:43-53. 2010Zen meditation has been associated with low sensitivity on both the affective and the sensory dimensions of pain...
- Using self-report assessment methods to explore facets of mindfulnessRuth A Baer
University of Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Assessment 13:27-45. 2006..are components of an overall mindfulness construct and that the factor structure of mindfulness may vary with meditation experience...
- Attention regulation and monitoring in meditationAntoine Lutz
Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior, Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 12:163-9. 2008b>Meditation can be conceptualized as a family of complex emotional and attentional regulatory training regimes developed for various ends, including the cultivation of well-being and emotional balance...
- Age effects on gray matter volume and attentional performance in Zen meditationGiuseppe Pagnoni
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, 101 Woodruff Circle, Suite 4000, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neurobiol Aging 28:1623-7. 2007Zen meditation, a Buddhist practice centered on attentional and postural self-regulation, has been speculated to bring about beneficial long-term effects for the individual, ranging from stress reduction to improvement of cognitive ..
- Neural correlates of attentional expertise in long-term meditation practitionersJ A Brefczynski-Lewis
W M Keck Laboratory for Functional Brain Imaging and Behavior, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53226, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11483-8. 2007b>Meditation refers to a family of mental training practices that are designed to familiarize the practitioner with specific types of mental processes...
- Differential engagement of anterior cingulate and adjacent medial frontal cortex in adept meditators and non-meditatorsBritta K Hölzel
Bender Institute of Neuroimaging, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 421:16-21. 2007This study investigated differences in brain activation during meditation between meditators and non-meditators. Fifteen Vipassana meditators (mean practice: 7...
- Mechanisms of white matter changes induced by meditationYi Yuan Tang
Department of Psychology, Texas Tech Neuroimaging Institute, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:10570-4. 2012..In our work, we found that a form of mindfulness meditation, integrative body-mind training (IBMT), improved FA in areas surrounding the anterior cingulate cortex after 4-..
- The underlying anatomical correlates of long-term meditation: larger hippocampal and frontal volumes of gray matterEileen Luders
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7334, USA
Neuroimage 45:672-8. 2009Although the systematic study of meditation is still in its infancy, research has provided evidence for meditation-induced improvements in psychological and physiological well-being...
- Meditation states and traits: EEG, ERP, and neuroimaging studiesB Rael Cahn
Department of Neurosciences and Medical School, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychol Bull 132:180-211. 2006Neuroelectric and imaging studies of meditation are reviewed. Electroencephalographic measures indicate an overall slowing subsequent to meditation, with theta and alpha activation related to proficiency of practice...
- Investigation of mindfulness meditation practitioners with voxel-based morphometryBritta K Hölzel
Bender Institute of Neuroimaging, Justus Liebig University, 35394 Giessen, Germany
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 3:55-61. 2008..were predicted to show greater gray matter concentration in regions that are typically activated during meditation. Results confirmed greater gray matter concentration for meditators in the right anterior insula, which is ..
- Meditation, mindfulness and cognitive flexibilityAdam Moore
Liverpool John Moores University, School of Psychology, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Conscious Cogn 18:176-86. 2009This study investigated the link between meditation, self-reported mindfulness and cognitive flexibility as well as other attentional functions...
- One year pre-post intervention follow-up of psychological, immune, endocrine and blood pressure outcomes of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) in breast and prostate cancer outpatientsLinda E Carlson
Department of Psychosocial Resources, Tom Baker Cancer Centre Holy Cross Site, Alberta Cancer Board, 2202 Second St S W, Calgary, Alta, Canada T3B 0W7
Brain Behav Immun 21:1038-49. 2007....
- Meditation experience is associated with differences in default mode network activity and connectivityJudson A Brewer
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20254-9. 2011..We investigated brain activity in experienced meditators and matched meditation-naive controls as they performed several different meditations (Concentration, Loving-Kindness, Choiceless ..
- Meditation training increases brain efficiency in an attention taskElisa H Kozasa
Instituto do Cérebro, Instituto Israelita de Ensino e Pesquisa Albert Einstein, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Neuroimage 59:745-9. 2012b>Meditation is a mental training, which involves attention and the ability to maintain focus on a particular object...
- Effect of compassion meditation on neuroendocrine, innate immune and behavioral responses to psychosocial stressThaddeus W W Pace
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Winship Cancer Institute, 1365C Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:87-98. 2009b>Meditation practices may impact physiological pathways that are modulated by stress and relevant to disease...
- Mental training enhances attentional stability: neural and behavioral evidenceAntoine Lutz
Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Neurosci 29:13418-27. 2009..with dichotic listening task performance and electroencephalography, that training attention, as cultivated by meditation, can improve the ability to sustain attention...
- Enhanced response inhibition during intensive meditation training predicts improvements in self-reported adaptive socioemotional functioningBaljinder K Sahdra
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Emotion 11:299-312. 2011..Data were collected from participants undergoing 3 months of intensive meditation training in an isolated retreat setting (Retreat 1) and a wait-list control group that later underwent identical ..
- Regulation of the neural circuitry of emotion by compassion meditation: effects of meditative expertiseAntoine Lutz
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e1897. 2008..To investigate these questions we assessed brain activity using fMRI while novice and expert meditation practitioners generated a loving-kindness-compassion meditation state...
- Short-term meditation training improves attention and self-regulationYi Yuan Tang
Institute of Neuroinformatics and Laboratory for Body and Mind, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116023, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17152-6. 2007Recent studies suggest that months to years of intensive and systematic meditation training can improve attention...
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction for stress management in healthy people: a review and meta-analysisAlberto Chiesa
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Altern Complement Med 15:593-600. 2009Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) is a clinically standardized meditation that has shown consistent efficacy for many mental and physical disorders...
- Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditationRichard J Davidson
Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Psychosom Med 65:564-70. 2003..in biological processes that are associated with reported changes in mental and physical health in response to meditation have not been systematically explored...
- Effects of level of meditation experience on attentional focus: is the efficiency of executive or orientation networks improved?Davina Chan
Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States
J Altern Complement Med 13:651-7. 2007..present investigation examined the contributions of specific attentional networks to long-term trait effects of meditation. It was hypothesized that meditation could improve the efficiency of executive processing (inhibits prepotent/..
- Intensive meditation training improves perceptual discrimination and sustained attentionKatherine A MacLean
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, USA
Psychol Sci 21:829-39. 2010..improvements in sustained attention with training (approximately 5 hr/day for 3 months), which consisted of meditation practice that involved sustained selective attention on a chosen stimulus (e.g., the participant's breath)...
- Long-term meditation is associated with increased gray matter density in the brain stemPeter Vestergaard-Poulsen
Center for Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Neuroreport 20:170-4. 2009..evidence of structural differences in the lower brainstem of participants engaged in the long-term practice of meditation. Using magnetic resonance imaging, we observed higher gray matter density in lower brain stem regions of ..
- Yogic meditation reverses NF-κB and IRF-related transcriptome dynamics in leukocytes of family dementia caregivers in a randomized controlled trialDavid S Black
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 38:348-55. 2013Although yoga and meditation have been used for stress reduction with reported improvement in inflammation, little is known about the biological mechanisms mediating such effects...
- Mindfulness meditation for oncology patients: a discussion and critical reviewMary Jane Ott
Nursing and Patient Care Services, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 5:98-108. 2006The purpose of this article is to (1) provide a comprehensive over view and discussion of mindfulness meditation and its clinical applicability in oncology and (2) report and critically evaluate the existing and emerging research on ..
- Activation of the anterior prefrontal cortex and serotonergic system is associated with improvements in mood and EEG changes induced by Zen meditation practice in novicesXinjun Yu
Department of Physiology, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Psychophysiol 80:103-11. 2011To gain insight into the neurophysiological mechanisms involved in Zen meditation, we evaluated the effects of focused attention (FA) on breathing movements in the lower abdomen (Tanden) in novices...
- A randomized, wait-list controlled clinical trial: the effect of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction program on mood and symptoms of stress in cancer outpatientsM Speca
Department of Psychosocial Resources, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Alberta Cancer Board, Canada
Psychosom Med 62:613-22. 2000The objective of this study was to assess the effects of participation in a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction program on mood disturbance and symptoms of stress in cancer outpatients.
- Increased default mode network connectivity associated with meditationJoon Hwan Jang
Department of Psychiatry, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Lett 487:358-62. 2011Areas associated with the default mode network (DMN) are substantially similar to those associated with meditation practice. However, no studies on DMN connectivity during resting states have been conducted on meditation practitioners...
- Mental training affects distribution of limited brain resourcesHeleen A Slagter
Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior and Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e138. 2007..Here we show, using performance in an attentional-blink task and scalp-recorded brain potentials, that meditation, or mental training, affects the distribution of limited brain resources...
- Mindfulness meditation for the treatment of chronic low back pain in older adults: a randomized controlled pilot studyNatalia E Morone
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pain 134:310-9. 2008..of this pilot study were to assess the feasibility of recruitment and adherence to an eight-session mindfulness meditation program for community-dwelling older adults with chronic low back pain (CLBP) and to develop initial estimates ..
- Short-term meditation induces white matter changes in the anterior cingulateYi Yuan Tang
Institute of Neuroinformatics and Lab for Body and Mind, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15649-52. 2010..Thus IBMT could provide a means for improving self-regulation and perhaps reducing or preventing various mental disorders...
- Brain mechanisms supporting the modulation of pain by mindfulness meditationFadel Zeidan
Departments of Neurobiology and Anatomy and Biomedical Engineering, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, and Psychology Department, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233, USA
J Neurosci 31:5540-8. 2011..For centuries, meditation has been thought to influence such processes by enabling a nonevaluative representation of sensory events...
- Long-term meditators self-induce high-amplitude gamma synchrony during mental practiceAntoine Lutz
W M Keck Laboratory for Functional Brain Imaging and Behavior, Waisman Center, and Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, 1500 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:16369-73. 2004Practitioners understand "meditation," or mental training, to be a process of familiarization with one's own mental life leading to long-lasting changes in cognition and emotion...
- Human anterior and frontal midline theta and lower alpha reflect emotionally positive state and internalized attention: high-resolution EEG investigation of meditationL I Aftanas
Psychophysiology Laboratory, State Research Institute of Physiology, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Timakova Str 4, 630117, Novosibirsk, Russia
Neurosci Lett 310:57-60. 2001..Our results propose selective associations of theta and alpha oscillating networks activity with states of internalized attention and positive emotional experience...
- Attentional processes and meditationHolley S Hodgins
Skidmore College, USA
Conscious Cogn 19:872-8. 2010..Together, results show that regular meditation is associated with more accurate, efficient, and flexible visual attentional processing across diverse tasks ..
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction in relation to quality of life, mood, symptoms of stress, and immune parameters in breast and prostate cancer outpatientsLinda E Carlson
Department Psychosocial Resources, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Psychosom Med 65:571-81. 2003This study investigated the relationships between a mindfulness-based stress reduction meditation program for early stage breast and prostate cancer patients and quality of life, mood states, stress symptoms, lymphocyte counts, and ..
- Influence of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction intervention on rates of skin clearing in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis undergoing phototherapy (UVB) and photochemotherapy (PUVA)J Kabat-Zinn
Stress Reduction Clinic, Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655 0267, USA
Psychosom Med 60:625-32. 1998This study tests the hypothesis that stress reduction methods based on mindfulness meditation can positively influence the rate at which psoriasis clears in patients undergoing phototherapy or photochemotherapy treatment.
- A pilot study of a yoga and meditation intervention for dementia caregiver stressLynn C Waelde
Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
J Clin Psychol 60:677-87. 2004..patient family caregivers (eight Latinas and four Caucasians) participated in a six-session manualized yoga-meditation program (called Inner Resources) designed to help caregivers cope with stress...
- Catecholamine levels in practitioners of the transcendental meditation techniqueJ R Infante
Nuclear Medicine Service, , Avenida Menendez Pidal s/n, E-14004 Cordoba, Spain
Physiol Behav 72:141-6. 2001With the aim of evaluating the sympathetic-adrenal medulla system in subjects practicing transcendental meditation (TM), their plasma catecholamine levels were determined at two different times of day...
- Impact of Transcendental Meditation on cardiovascular function at rest and during acute stress in adolescents with high normal blood pressureV A Barnes
Department of Pediatrics, Georgia Institute for Prevention of Human Diseases and Accidents, Building HS1640, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
J Psychosom Res 51:597-605. 2001This study examined the impact of the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program on cardiovascular (CV) reactivity in adolescents with high normal BP.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction in relation to quality of life, mood, symptoms of stress and levels of cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) and melatonin in breast and prostate cancer outpatientsLinda E Carlson
Department of Psychosocial Resources, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Alberta Cancer Board, 1331 29 Street NW, Calgary, Alta, Canada T2N 4N2
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:448-74. 2004This study investigated the relationships between a mindfulness-based stress reduction meditation program for early stage breast and prostate cancer patients and quality of life, mood states, stress symptoms, and levels of cortisol, ..
- Blood pressure response to transcendental meditation: a meta-analysisJames W Anderson
Division of Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Am J Hypertens 21:310-6. 2008Prior clinical trials suggest that the Transcendental Meditation technique may decrease blood pressure of normotensive and hypertensive individuals but study-quality issues have been raised...
- Self-report mindfulness as a mediator of psychological well-being in a stress reduction intervention for cancer patients--a randomized studyRichard Bränström
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institute, Radiumhemmet, 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Behav Med 39:151-61. 2010..There is increasing recognition of mindfulness and mindfulness training as a way to decrease stress and increase psychological functioning...
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction for chronic pain conditions: variation in treatment outcomes and role of home meditation practiceSteven Rosenzweig
Office of Educational Affairs, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Psychosom Res 68:29-36. 2010....
- Intensive meditation training, immune cell telomerase activity, and psychological mediatorsTonya L Jacobs
UC Davis Center for Mind and Brain, Davis, CA 95618, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:664-81. 2011..2004). Buddhist traditions claim that meditation decreases psychological distress and promotes well-being (e.g., Dalai Lama and Cutler, 2009)...
- Mindfulness-induced changes in gamma band activity - implications for the default mode network, self-reference and attentionAviva Berkovich-Ohana
The Leslie and Susan Gonda Goldschmied Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Israel
Clin Neurophysiol 123:700-10. 2012There is a growing scientific interest in mindfulness meditation (MM), yet its underlying neurophysiological mechanism is still uncertain...
- Comparison of cognitive behavioral and mindfulness meditation interventions on adaptation to rheumatoid arthritis for patients with and without history of recurrent depressionAlex J Zautra
Department of Psychology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 1104, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:408-21. 2008..participants and randomly assigned to 1 of 3 treatments: cognitive behavioral therapy for pain (P); mindfulness meditation and emotion regulation therapy (M); or education-only group (E), which served as an attention placebo control...
- Meditation can reduce habitual respondingHeidi Wenk-Sormaz
Fresh Yoga, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 11:42-58. 2005Although cognitive aspects of meditation underlie much of its clinical application, very little research has examined meditation's cognitive consequences...
- BOLD signal in insula is differentially related to cardiac function during compassion meditation in experts vs. novicesAntoine Lutz
Laboratory for Functional Brain Imaging and Behavior, Waisman Center, University of Wisconsin, 1500 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Neuroimage 47:1038-46. 2009..Guided by the finding that heart rate increases more during blocks of compassion meditation than neutral states, especially for experts, we examined the interaction between state (compassion vs...
- A 15O-H2O PET study of meditation and the resting state of normal consciousnessH C Lou
Kennedy Institute, Glostrup, Denmark
Hum Brain Mapp 7:98-105. 1999The aim of the present study was to examine whether the neural structures subserving meditation can be reproducibly measured, and, if so, whether they are different from those supporting the resting state of normal consciousness...
- A randomized controlled trial of mindfulness meditation versus relaxation training: effects on distress, positive states of mind, rumination, and distractionShamini Jain
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program, Clinical Psychology, San Diego, CA 92103 0804, USA
Ann Behav Med 33:11-21. 2007Although mindfulness meditation interventions have recently shown benefits for reducing stress in various populations, little is known about their relative efficacy compared with relaxation interventions.
- "I felt like a new person." the effects of mindfulness meditation on older adults with chronic pain: qualitative narrative analysis of diary entriesNatalia E Morone
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Pain 9:841-8. 2008To identify the effects of mindfulness meditation on older adults with chronic low back pain (CLBP), we conducted a qualitative study based on grounded theory and used content analysis of diary entries from older adults who had ..
- A pilot study of yogic meditation for family dementia caregivers with depressive symptoms: effects on mental health, cognition, and telomerase activityH Lavretsky
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 28:57-65. 2013This study examined the effects of brief daily yogic meditation on mental health, cognitive functioning, and immune cell telomerase activity in family dementia caregivers with mild depressive symptoms.
- Can meditation slow rate of cellular aging? Cognitive stress, mindfulness, and telomeresElissa Epel
University of California San Francisco, Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1172:34-53. 2009..In contrast, mindfulness meditation techniques appear to shift cognitive appraisals from threat to challenge, decrease ruminative thought, and ..
- Effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction in mood, breast- and endocrine-related quality of life, and well-being in stage 0 to III breast cancer: a randomized, controlled trialCaroline J Hoffman
The Haven, Effie Rd, London SW6 1TB, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 30:1335-42. 2012..To assess the effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) for mood, breast- and endocrine-specific quality of life, and well-being after hospital treatment in women with stage 0 to III breast cancer...
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction versus pharmacotherapy for chronic primary insomnia: a randomized controlled clinical trialCynthia R Gross
College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Explore (NY) 7:76-87. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the potential of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) as a treatment for chronic primary insomnia...
- Open hearts build lives: positive emotions, induced through loving-kindness meditation, build consequential personal resourcesBarbara L Fredrickson
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 95:1045-62. 2008..with working adults (n = 139), half of whom were randomly-assigned to begin a practice of loving-kindness meditation. Results showed that this meditation practice produced increases over time in daily experiences of positive ..
- The effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on sleep disturbance: a systematic reviewNicole Y Winbush
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Explore (NY) 3:585-91. 2007....
- Compassion meditation enhances empathic accuracy and related neural activityJennifer S Mascaro
Department of Anthropology, Emory University, 207 Anthropology Building, 1557 Dickey Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 8:48-55. 2013..randomized, controlled and longitudinal design to investigate the effect of a secularized analytical compassion meditation program, cognitive-based compassion training (CBCT), on empathic accuracy...
- Mindfulness meditation training alters cortical representations of interoceptive attentionNorman A S Farb
Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest, 3560 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M6A 2E1
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 8:15-26. 2013..Furthermore, meditation practice compliance predicted greater posterior insula and reduced visual pathway recruitment during IA...
- "Thinking about not-thinking": neural correlates of conceptual processing during Zen meditationGiuseppe Pagnoni
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, Untied States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3083. 2008..Zen meditation, in particular, is traditionally associated with a mental state of full awareness but reduced conceptual content,..
- Effectiveness of transcendental meditation on functional capacity and quality of life of African Americans with congestive heart failure: a randomized control studyRavishankar Jayadevappa
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 224, Ralston Penn Center, 3615 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 2676, USA
Ethn Dis 17:72-7. 2007To evaluate the effectiveness of a Transcendental Meditation (TM) stress reduction program for African Americans with congestive heart failure (CHF).
- Cerebral blood flow changes associated with different meditation practices and perceived depth of meditationDanny J J Wang
Almanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 191:60-7. 2011Our goal in this study was to advance the understanding of the neural pathways of meditation by addressing the cerebral blood flow (CBF) responses associated with two different meditation practices performed by the same individuals and ..
- Coherence between emotional experience and physiology: does body awareness training have an impact?Jocelyn A Sze
Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 1650, USA
Emotion 10:803-14. 2010..The present study poses a question bridging the two domains; namely, whether training in Vipassana meditation or dance, both of which promote attention to certain kinds of bodily sensations, is associated with greater ..
- The Toronto Mindfulness Scale: development and validationMark A Lau
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and the University of Toronto
J Clin Psychol 62:1445-67. 2006..In Study 1, participants were individuals with and without meditation experience. Results showed good internal consistency and two factors, Curiosity and Decentering...
- Mindfulness meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: a naturalistic 12-month follow-upJason C Ong
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Explore (NY) 5:30-6. 2009A unique intervention combining mindfulness meditation with cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) has been shown to have acute benefits at posttreatment in an open label study...
- Effects of mindfulness meditation training on anticipatory alpha modulation in primary somatosensory cortexCatherine E Kerr
Harvard Osher Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Brain Res Bull 85:96-103. 2011..Here, we investigated whether alpha modulation can be enhanced by "mindfulness" meditation (MM), a program training practitioners in sustained attention to body and breath-related sensations...
- Differential effects on pain intensity and unpleasantness of two meditation practicesDavid M Perlman
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Emotion 10:65-71. 2010..We compared the regulatory qualities of two different meditation practices during noxious thermal stimuli: Focused Attention, directed at a fixation cross away from the ..
- A randomized controlled trial on effects of the Transcendental Meditation program on blood pressure, psychological distress, and coping in young adultsSanford I Nidich
Center for Natural Medicine and Prevention, Maharishi University of Management Research Institute, Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa, USA
Am J Hypertens 22:1326-31. 2009..Psychological distress contributes to the development of hypertension in young adults. This trial assessed the effects of a mind-body intervention on blood pressure (BP), psychological distress, and coping in college students...
- Lower lipid peroxide levels in practitioners of the Transcendental Meditation programR H Schneider
Center for Health and Aging Studies, Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa 52557 1028, USA
Psychosom Med 60:38-41. 1998..stress has been shown to increase oxidative stress, we conducted an exploratory study to investigate the effects of stress reduction with the Transcendental Meditation program on serum lipid peroxide levels in elderly subjects.
- Changes in EEG and autonomic nervous activity during meditation and their association with personality traitsTetsuya Takahashi
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, Matsuoka cho, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
Int J Psychophysiol 55:199-207. 2005b>Meditation is the attainment of a restful yet fully alert physical and mental state practiced by many as a self-regulatory approach to emotion management, but the psychophysiological properties and personality traits that characterize ..
- Short-term autonomic and cardiovascular effects of mindfulness body scan meditationBlaine Ditto
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Ann Behav Med 32:227-34. 2006..Recent research suggests that the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program has positive effects on health, but little is known about the immediate physiological effects of different components of the program...
- Brief meditation training can improve perceived stress and negative moodJames D Lane
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 13:38-44. 2007To test a brief, non-sectarian program of meditation training for effects on perceived stress and negative emotion, and to determine effects of practice frequency and test the moderating effects of neuroticism (emotional lability) on ..
- Impact of transcendental meditation on ambulatory blood pressure in African-American adolescentsVernon A Barnes
Georgia Institute for Prevention of Human Diseases and Accidents, Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Am J Hypertens 17:366-9. 2004..was to determine the impact of stress reduction on blood pressure (BP) in adolescents by the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program. African-American adolescents (aged 16.2 +/- 1...
- Loving-kindness meditation increases social connectednessCendri A Hutcherson
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 2130, USA
Emotion 8:720-4. 2008..Is it possible to self-generate these feelings? In this study, the authors used a brief loving-kindness meditation exercise to examine whether social connection could be created toward strangers in a controlled laboratory ..
- Frontal midline theta rhythm is correlated with cardiac autonomic activities during the performance of an attention demanding meditation procedureY Kubota
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Shogoin Kawaharacho, 606 8507, Kyoto, Japan
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 11:281-7. 2001..In the present study, a standard procedure of Zen meditation requiring sustained attention and breath control was employed as the task to provoke Fm theta, and simultaneous ..
- Effects of mindful and non-mindful exercises on people with depression: a systematic reviewHector W H Tsang
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong
Br J Clin Psychol 47:303-22. 2008..The purpose of this study is to examine the effectiveness of mindful and non-mindful physical exercises as an intervention in managing depression or depressive symptoms based on a systematic literature review...
- Enhanced brain connectivity in long-term meditation practitionersEileen Luders
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7334, USA
Neuroimage 57:1308-16. 2011Very little is currently known about the cerebral characteristics that underlie the complex processes of meditation as only a limited number of studies have addressed this topic...
- Impact of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) on sleep, mood, stress and fatigue symptoms in cancer outpatientsLinda E Carlson
Department of Oncology, Department of Psychology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Int J Behav Med 12:278-85. 2005..Mindfulness meditation has demonstrated clinical benefits for a variety of patient populations in other areas of functioning...
- Central and autonomic nervous system interaction is altered by short-term meditationYi Yuan Tang
Institute of Neuroinformatics and Laboratory for Body and Mind, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:8865-70. 2009..This changed state probably reflects training in the coordination of body and mind given in the IBMT but not in the control group. These results could be useful in the design of further specific interventions...
- Loving-kindness and compassion meditation: potential for psychological interventionsStefan G Hofmann
Department of Psychology, Boston University, MA 02215 2002, United States
Clin Psychol Rev 31:1126-32. 2011Mindfulness-based meditation interventions have become increasingly popular in contemporary psychology...
- Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction intervention on psychological well-being and quality of life: is increased mindfulness indeed the mechanism?Ivan Nyklicek
CoRPS, Department of Psychology and Health, Tilburg University, P O Box 90153, 5000, LE Tilburg, The Netherlands
Ann Behav Med 35:331-40. 2008..Although several studies have reported positive effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) intervention on psychological well-being, it is not known whether these effects are attributable to a change in mindfulness...
- Effects of meditation on frontal alpha-asymmetry in previously suicidal individualsThorsten Barnhofer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, UK
Neuroreport 18:709-12. 2007This study investigated the effects of a meditation-based treatment for preventing relapse to depression, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT), on prefrontal alpha-asymmetry in resting electroencephalogram (EEG), a biological ..
- Effects of a randomized controlled trial of transcendental meditation on components of the metabolic syndrome in subjects with coronary heart diseaseMaura Paul-Labrador
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles 90048, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:1218-24. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of transcendental meditation (TM) on components of the metabolic syndrome and CHD.
- Meditation with yoga, group therapy with hypnosis, and psychoeducation for long-term depressed mood: a randomized pilot trialLisa D Butler
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 571, USA
J Clin Psychol 64:806-20. 2008This randomized pilot study investigated the effects of meditation with yoga (and psychoeducation) versus group therapy with hypnosis (and psychoeducation) versus psychoeducation alone on diagnostic status and symptom levels among 46 ..
- Effects of yoga and meditation on clinical and biochemical parameters of metabolic syndromeDeepali Khatri
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 78:e9-10. 2007
- Increased dopamine tone during meditation-induced change of consciousnessTroels W Kjaer
John F Kennedy Institute, Gl Landevej 7, 2600, Glostrup, Denmark
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 13:255-9. 2002..PET we demonstrated increased endogenous dopamine release in the ventral striatum during Yoga Nidra meditation. Yoga Nidra is characterized by a depressed level of desire for action, associated with decreased blood flow in ..
- I think therefore I om: cognitive distortions and coping style as mediators for the effects of mindfulness meditation on anxiety, positive and negative affect, and hopeSharon Sears
Fort Lewis College, CO USA
J Clin Psychol 65:561-73. 2009This study examined cognitive distortions and coping styles as potential mediators for the effects of mindfulness meditation on anxiety, negative affect, positive affect, and hope in college students...
- Evaluating distance education of a mindfulness-based meditation programme for chronic pain managementJacqueline Gardner-Nix
Department of Anaesthesia, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Telemed Telecare 14:88-92. 2008..05) than the Distant site group. The results suggest that videoconferencing is an effective mode of delivery for the Mindfulness course and may represent a new way of helping chronic pain patients in rural areas manage their suffering...
- Mindfulness meditation alleviates depressive symptoms in women with fibromyalgia: results of a randomized clinical trialSandra E Sephton
University of Louisville and James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:77-85. 2007..The objective of this study was to test the effects of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) intervention on depressive symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia...
- Distinct neural activity associated with focused-attention meditation and loving-kindness meditationTatia M C Lee
Laboratory of Neuropsychology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS ONE 7:e40054. 2012This study examined the dissociable neural effects of ānāpānasati (focused-attention meditation, FAM) and mettā (loving-kindness meditation, LKM) on BOLD signals during cognitive (continuous performance test, CPT) and affective (..
- Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysisMadhav Goyal
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
JAMA Intern Med 174:357-68. 2014Many people meditate to reduce psychological stress and stress-related health problems. To counsel people appropriately, clinicians need to know what the evidence says about the health benefits of meditation.
- Meditation or exercise for preventing acute respiratory infection: a randomized controlled trialBruce Barrett
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1100 Delaplaine Ct, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Ann Fam Med 10:337-46. 2012This study was designed to evaluate potential preventive effects of meditation or exercise on incidence, duration, and severity of acute respiratory infection (ARI) illness.
- The effect of meditation on brain structure: cortical thickness mapping and diffusion tensor imagingDo Hyung Kang
Department of Psychiatry, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 8:27-33. 2013A convergent line of neuroscientific evidence suggests that meditation alters the functional and structural plasticity of distributed neural processes underlying attention and emotion...
- Meditation experience predicts introspective accuracyKieran C R Fox
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e45370. 2012..It has been hypothesized that introspective accuracy may be heightened in persons who engage in meditation practices, due to the highly introspective nature of such practices...
- The contribution of mindfulness practice to a multicomponent behavioral sleep intervention following substance abuse treatment in adolescents: a treatment-development studyWilloughby B Britton
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Subst Abus 31:86-97. 2010..Within the context of a multicomponent, mindfulness-based sleep intervention that included mindfulness meditation (MM) for adolescent outpatients with SUDs (n = 55), this analysis assessed the contributions of MM practice ..
- Polysomnographic and subjective profiles of sleep continuity before and after mindfulness-based cognitive therapy in partially remitted depressionWilloughby B Britton
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, 185 Brown St, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychosom Med 72:539-48. 2010To examine whether mindfulness meditation (MM) was associated with changes in objectively measured polysomnographic (PSG) sleep profiles and to relate changes in PSG sleep to subjectively reported changes in sleep and depression within ..
- Mind wandering and attention during focused meditation: a fine-grained temporal analysis of fluctuating cognitive statesWendy Hasenkamp
Emory University, Department of Psychology, 36 Eagle Row, Suite 270, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neuroimage 59:750-60. 2012..fluctuations between mind wandering and attentional states derived from the practice of focused attention meditation. This model proposes four intervals in a cognitive cycle: mind wandering, awareness of mind wandering, shifting ..
- Developing an observing attitude: an analysis of meditation diaries in an MBSR clinical trialCatherine E Kerr
Harvard Osher Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Psychol Psychother 18:80-93. 2011..Progress in MBSR may rely less on the valence of participants' experiences and more on the way participants describe and relate to their own inner experience...
- Neural mechanisms by which chronic stress regulates inflammation in asthmaMelissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Training in mindfulness meditation will be evaluated for its ability to impact the effects of chronic stress on the factors that underlie asthma ..
- Iyengar yoga for adolescents and young adults with irritable bowel syndromeSubhadra Evans; Fiscal Year: 2013..I have a long-standing interest in mind-body techniques such as yoga and meditation, and intend to scientifically examine the benefits I have noted in my personal practice...
- A Mindfulness-Based Approach to the Treatment of Obesity and DiabetesCarla K Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, the purpose of this study is to evaluate the impact of a mindfulness meditation-based intervention compared to a standard diabetes education intervention among overweight/obese adults aged 35-..
- Feasibility and Preliminary Efficacy of Yoga in Head and Neck Cancer SurvivorsSheila H Ridner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hatha Yoga includes basic practices of postures (asanas), breathing (pranayama), relaxation (pratyahara), and meditation (dhyana)...
- RCT of Stress Reduction in the Secondary Prevention of CHD in African AmericansRobert Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2010..Previous controlled clinical studies have demonstrated that stress reduction with the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program is associated with reductions in CHD risk factors, surrogate CHD endpoints and clinical ..
- Meditation and Exercise for Prevention of Acute Respiratory InfectionBruce P Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Background: Preliminary evidence suggests that meditation and exercise may work through interacting psychological and physiological pathways to stimulate the immune system and reduce infectious ..
- MBSR Symptom Cluster Trial for Breast Cancer SurvivorsCecile A Lengacher; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study will formally evaluate an intensive meditation- based stress reduction intervention to determine if it is efficacious in improving psychological and physical ..
- TLR4 Signaling in alcoholic liver diseaseGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Identification of the specific elements and cell-specificity of the TLR4 signaling pathways in meditation of alcoholic liver disease will provide novel therapeutic targets for future drug development...
- Development of a Yoga Intervention for Antenatal DepressionCynthia L Battle; Fiscal Year: 2012..other forms of hatha yoga, prenatal yoga involves breath control (pranayama), physical postures (asanas), and meditation (dhyana)...
- Metabolic and Immunologic Effects of MeditationFrederick M Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2012..The overall goal of this project is to test whether a meditation based intervention that can shift stress hormone patterns, when added to a diet and exercise program, improves ..
- Administrative Supplement: MBSR and Anxiety: Therapeutic and Neuroendocrine EffecElizabeth A Hoge; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research Career Development Award with a focus on developing expertise in the study of mindfulness meditation for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), in addition to identifying neuroendocrine and ..
- Treatment of Cocaine Addiction with Integrative MeditationKevin W Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our clinical experience and pilot studies suggest that Integrative Meditation (IM) from Chinese medicine may help clients engage in treatment, reduce cravings/ withdrawal symptoms, and ..
- Meditation and Exercise for Preventing Acute Respiratory Infection (MEPARI-2)Bruce P Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Preliminary evidence suggests that 8-week training programs in meditation and exercise lead to reductions in incidence, duration and severity of acute respiratory infection (ARI) illness...
- Effects of Mind-Body Interventions on Metabolic Syndrome RiskJENNIFER JOAN DAUBENMIER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Dr. Daubenmier's research has shown that yoga and meditation practices are associated with greater psychological well-being, less disordered eating, greater weight loss, and ..
- Biobehavioral Effects of Tai Chi Chih Among Elderly Breast Cancer SurvivorsAnita Y Kinney; Fiscal Year: 2010..to be a moderate- intensity aerobic exercise that consists of a combination of slow, deliberate movements and meditation. Despite the widespread popularity of Tai Chi throughout the world, its efficacy has never been scientifically ..
- Smartphone Delivered Meditation for BP Control Among PrehypertensivesFrank A Treiber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Psychological stress is a risk factor for future EH and CVD. Stress reduction via meditation has shown promise in reducing blood pressure (BP) but adult studies have not determined optimal dosage level nor ..
- Mindfulness Based Weight Loss MaintenanceRUTH QUILLIAN WOLEVER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Interventions utilizing mindfulness meditation show promise in treating unhealthy eating behaviors and other obesity related problems, including mood, blood ..
- THE BAROREFLEX MECHANISM: TRANSLATION TO AUD TREATMENT AND PROGNOSTIC MODELSMarsha E Bates; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to use data from four ongoing clinical trials to evaluate the efficacy of two established (aerobic exercise, meditation) and one new (heart rate variability biofeedback) intervention and determine whether the BAR is a common ..
- Yoga for women with breast cancer undergoing radiotherapyLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..ancient Indian science, incorporates stress-reduction techniques including regulated breathing, visual imagery, meditation, and various gentle stretching postures...
- Molecular effects of mind-body intervention on GC sensitivity and immune functionJEFFREY MILUSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Mind-body interventions, such as meditation and yoga, may have important effects on the immune system in part through the effects of these interventions on ..
- Effectiveness of Yoga on Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Patients with Pre- and StagMARSHALL A HAGINS; Fiscal Year: 2012..the most common yoga practice is defined by three integrated elements: physical postures, breath control, and meditation. Yoga adherents suggest that the integration of these elements produces greater health outcomes than would be ..
- Portable Mantram Meditation for Veterans with Military Related PTSDJill E Bormann; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have developed and tested a method of portable, concentrative meditation called the Mantram Repetition Program (MRP) in Veterans with PTSD and found it effective for symptom management ..
- Efficacy of Yoga as an Alternative Therapy for Smoking CessationBeth C Bock; Fiscal Year: 2013..10-13 Moreover, features of yoga, including a focus on breathing, mental concentration, meditation, stress reduction and enhanced mood are likely to have special relevance for smokers who are trying to quit...
- A Multisite Randomized Controlled Trial of Mindfulness Meditation Therapy for PTSMark B Hamner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Complementary and Alternative Medicine practices, such as meditation, may fill this void...
- Biobehavioral Effects of Qigong During Treatment for Rectal CancerLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2010..or spiritual health incorporates stress-reduction techniques including regulated breathing, visual imagery, meditation, and various gentle movements...
- Quantification of Outcome Measures for Mind Body InterventionsHerbert Benson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The original proposal consists of a randomized, controlled trial of meditation and yoga compared with an attention control group in stressed but otherwise healthy subjects...
- Research Training: Complementary &Integrative MedicineGloria Y Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..The training program focuses on mind-body therapies (including yoga, tai chi, meditation, and placebo phenomenon), Asian medicine (including acupuncture and Ayurveda) and dietary supplements (including ..
- MBSR for fibromyalgia: A dose-finding studyAther Ali; Fiscal Year: 2013..MBSR is a standardized mind-body intervention that involves meditation, patient education, and group support. The eight-week MBSR protocol involves 2...
- Skills to Enhance Positivity in Suicidal AdolescentsShirley Yen; Fiscal Year: 2013..transient) PA in community and depressed adults: meditation, gratitude, and savoring...
- Neuroimaging biomarkers of Mind-Body treatment response in chronic visceral painKirsten Tillisch; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mind-Body treatments such as meditation, yoga or hypnosis have been shown to improve subjective symptoms in several persistent pain disorders including Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)...
- Meditation Interventions for Treatment of PTSD in VeteransKelvin O Lim; Fiscal Year: 2013..MVAHCS) has taught Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), a group-based intervention focused on mindfulness meditation, to veteran clinical populations since 2001, and pilot data from veterans diagnosed with PTSD is promising...
- Reducing Stress in HIV-infected Youth Through Mindfulness TrainingERICA MARIA SMIT SIBINGA; Fiscal Year: 2011..Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) is a structured 8-week program of instruction in mindfulness meditation that has been shown to improve psychological and quality of life outcomes in adults with chronic diseases...
- Urban Mindfulness and Addictions ResearchThomas M Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mindfulness-based meditation and other contemplative practices have been the focus of intensive research at the intersection of neuroscience, clinical psychology, and addiction research...
- Mind and health: developing a neural marker for mindfulness, a pathway to healthJean A King; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A recent review commissioned by NCCAM concluded that the research on meditation practices is characterized by poor methodological quality and that more rigorous science is needed before firm ..
- Dismantling Mindfulness: Contributions of Attention vs. AcceptanceWilloughby Britton; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Meditation, particularly mindfulness meditation, is one of the most popular Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) therapies for alleviating emotional stress, depression and anxiety that are ..
- Mindfulness: a novel approach for the management of diabetes-related distressLaura A Young; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypothesis guiding this proposal is that modulation of the stress reaction through training in mindfulness meditation will lead to Improvements In physiologic and psychological outcomes in patients with T2DM...
- Training Researchers in Clinical Integrative Medicine (TRIM)Judith T Moskowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Integrative medicine approaches, including meditation, yoga, tai chi, massage, and other practices are widely used by Americans in the hope of obtaining health benefits...
- Imaging Cerebral and Sub-cerebral Correlates of Meditative StatesERIC LEE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our first project area is to assess and compare the dose-response relationships of mindfulness and compassion meditation, studying subjects that are part of a large (N=360) research trial (NIH 1R01AT004698-01) beginning at Emory ..
- Tai Chi Effects on Chronic Insomnia in Breast Cancer Survivors: Immune MechanismsMichael R Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preliminary studies show that TCC, a slow moving meditation, contributes to improvements in subjective sleep quality, sleep amounts and sleep efficiency...
- Brain Activation in Women Treated with Mindfulness-Based Relapse PreventionM Kathleen B Lustyk; Fiscal Year: 2010..MBRP is an innovative treatment that incorporates mindfulness meditation with traditional cognitive- behavioral relapse prevention (Bowen et al., in press)...
- Brain Connectivity and Mindfulness Training in Youth with Bipolar Disorder NOSKiki D Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Teens (MBSR-T) intervention, designed to increase daily mindfulness, meditation skills, and awareness of emotional dysregulation in response to stressors...
- Wisconsin Center for the Neuroscience and Psychophysiology of MeditationRichard J Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CERC)-The Wisconsin Center for the Neuroscience and Psychophysiology of Meditation-for a second five-year period...
- Mechanic pathways of mindfulness meditation in post-traumatic stress disorder.HELANE O WAHBEH; Fiscal Year: 2012..neuroscience and collecting and analyzing electrophysiological data, 3) biostatistics, and 4) mindfulness meditation. The long term goal of the research training plan is to discover the mechanism of action of meditation therapy ..
- Executive Function Development in Preschool ChildrenSandra A Wiebe; Fiscal Year: 2013..Structural equation modeling will be used to test the a priori direct and meditation relations among preschool executive control, behavior in the 5->7 shift, and functional outcome...
- Paradigm and attentional manipulations to improve P300-based BCIEric Sellers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Second, we will use mindfulness meditation and induction (MMI) to increase users'attentional focus...
- Enhancing HIV treatment adherence in Bangalore: The Chetana studyMARIA L EKSTRAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..other culturally-relevant topics designed to enhance physical and mental health among PLHA, including yoga/meditation, nutrition, legal services, and assistance accessing local resources...
- A New Translational Tool for Studying the Role of Breathing in Meditation.Margaret Ann Chesney; Fiscal Year: 2013Abstract Breathing exercises, alone or as a component of mind-body interventions such as meditation and yoga, have potential for amelioration of a wide range of acute and chronic disorders...
- Effects of Mindfulness Training on Impulsivity &Inhibitory Control in SmokersZEV DAVID SCHUMAN OLIVIER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Data from mindfulness-oriented treatment studies suggest at-home formal meditation practice is the most important variable in attaining positive clinical outcomes...
- Improving Treatment Adherence in HIV-Positive Youth Through Mindfulness TrainingERICA MARIA SMIT SIBINGA; Fiscal Year: 2013..MBSR is a program of meditation techniques to enhance participants'mindfulness, or present-focused, non-judgmental awareness...
- Mechanisms of MeditationCharles Raison; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The increasingly widespread use of meditation for stress-related emotional and medical conditions highlights the urgent need to rigorously evaluate mechanisms through which the benefits of practice ..
- The Effects and Mechanisms of MBCT on Depressive Symtoms and Depression RelapseAMANDA SHALLCROSS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Some research on CAM treatments for depression suggests meditation to be a promising intervention...
- Applying Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy to Treatment-Resistant DepressionSTUART JAMES EISENDRATH; Fiscal Year: 2012..MBCT is a group-based, 8-week intervention that uses mindfulness meditation as its core therapeutic ingredient...
- Integrating Behavioral Skills with a Mobile Biosensor for At-Risk Teen MothersNoelle R Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2013..positive parenting and includes innovative mobile technology components: PSP trains AMARs in mindfulness meditation and social cognitive skills in group sessions and integrates a state-of-the-art biosensor wrist band and smart ..
- Longitudinal effects of mediation on empathic behavior and neural activityJENNIFER STREIFFER MASCARO; Fiscal Year: 2010..and controlled, longitudinal paradigm to assess whether a program that trains mindfulness and attention (MAT) meditation affects empathy...
- RCT of hatha yoga for persistent depressionLisa A Uebelacker; Fiscal Year: 2013..Yoga involves breath control (pranayama), physical postures (asanas), and meditation (dhyana). Yoga may be appealing, relatively inexpensive, and easy to access for many depressed patients...
- Adaptation and Evaluation of a Family-Based Mindful Eating Intervention for OverwJeanne Dalen; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Meditation-based mindful eating programs may represent a unique and novel scientific approach to the current adolescent ..
- Research and Mentoring in AA-related Mechanisms of ChangeJ Scott Tonigan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our work indicates that increased prayer and meditation "drive" the salutary actions of spiritual practices although the underlying reasons for this effect have yet to ..
- Advancing Physiological Signal Analysis for Mind-Body ResearchBarry S Oken; Fiscal Year: 2013..The analysis techniques will aid development of: a physiologic measure of adherence to and quality of meditation interventions;a measure of interelectrode EEG correlation based on information theory that is likely more valid ..
- Effects of mindfulness meditation on somatosensory cortical maps in chronic painCatherine E Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a protocolized CAM therapy based on Buddhist meditation practices: practitioners cultivate non-judgmental attention to the breath and sensory feelings as a way of ..
- Effectiveness of a Mind-Body Program for Older Adults with Chronic Low Back PainNatalia E Morone; Fiscal Year: 2013..increasing function and reducing pain among older adults with CLBP, and 2) to evaluate the impact of mindfulness meditation on NP in older adults with CLBP...
- Brain Mechanisms Supporting the Modulation of Pain by Meditation and PlaceboRobert C Coghill; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mindfulness meditation has been found to significantly improve pain symptoms in experimental and clinical settings, but lack of ..
- Augmenting Mindfulness Training Through Experience-driven Neurofeedback Devices (Judson A Brewer; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Meditation is the second most frequently used mind-body therapy in the US, with demonstrated clinical benefits for stress, ..
- Mechanisms of Meditation in Hypertension in BlacksRobert Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2010..conducted by the Center team have demonstrated that stress reduction intervention with the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program is associated with reduced blood pressure levels compared to health education control (HE) ..
- Cardiovascular Effects of lyengar YogaRaymond Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2006..this country, as well as because its multimodal approach, combining postures (asanas), breathing (pranayama) and meditation, lyengar yoga is a particular form of classical therapeutic yoga which relies on tightly scripted asanas which ..
- MBSR Intervention to reduce stress in AD caregiversLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2009..by applicant): Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a mind-body technique that incorporates mindfulness meditation, yoga, and cognitive reappraisal with the goal of self-managing the psychological and physical distress ..
- A Wireless Wearable System to Measure Adherence to Mind-Body ProtocolsPaul Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In a study protocol that uses mind body interventions such as meditation, yoga and tai chi, the small wireless sensor packages are worn on the body...
- A Culturally-Tailored Weight Loss ProgramMichael Simon; Fiscal Year: 2005..The tools used to achieve this will include meditation, readings, and the recording of thoughts...
- Biobehavioral Effects of Yoga During Cancer TreatmentLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2007..ancient Indian science, incorporates stress-reduction techniques including regulated breathing, visual imagery, meditation, and various gentle stretching postures...
- Coping with Breast Cancer and Treatment: An E-Learning Course for Skills and StraKELLY CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2009..CBSM interventions use well-validated cognitive behavioral techniques such as relaxation and meditation training, cognitive restructuring, and communication skills training to increase active, adaptive coping and are ..
- Meditation for High Blood PressureJames Lane; Fiscal Year: 2003..Among these interventions, meditation training has shown the greatest promise as an adjunctive behavioral treatment for lowering blood pressure...
- Yoga, Health, and MeditationFrederick Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2004..Yoga and related meditation practices represent one of the most important complementary and alternative medicine systems used in Asia and ..
- RACIAL/ETHNIC DIFFERENCES AND THE ECONOMIC OF CAM USEKe Xu; Fiscal Year: 2006..chiropractics, massage therapy, herbal remedies, spiritual healings or prayers, nutritional advice, acupuncture, meditation/imagery/relaxation, homeopathy, traditional medicine, biofeedback training, hypnosis and others. [unreadable]
- MIEL: Meditation and Massage in End of LifeDavid Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..On the basis of prior literature, meditation, and specifically Metta meditation, is promising as an intervention uniquely suited to meet spiritual needs at ..
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction & Myocardial IschemiaDavid Sheps; Fiscal Year: 2007..Further, some studies have reported positive results with coronary risk factors using meditation and yoga...
- Analysis of Nitric Oxide During Meridian PracticesSheng Xing Ma; Fiscal Year: 2007..theory and guiding principle for therapies related to mind-body interactions such as acupuncture, Qi Gong and meditation. Investigators have demonstrated in both humans and animals that acupoints/meridians possess characteristics of ..
- BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTION FOR HERPES ZOSTER RISK IN AGINGMichael Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2003..TCC is a slow moving meditation comprised of twenty separate standardized movements for use in elderly populations...