Summary: A system of therapeutics founded by Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), based on the Law of Similars where "like cures like". Diseases are treated by highly diluted substances that cause, in healthy persons, symptoms like those of the disease to be treated. The dilutions are repeated so many times that there is less than one molecule per dose and it is suggested that benefit is from the energetic life force of the original substance.
Publications318 found, 100 shown here
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of classical homeopathy in generalized anxiety disorderOmer Bonne
Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah University Medical School and the Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Psychiatry 64:282-7. 2003b>Homeopathy is commonly used for the treatment of medical and psychological conditions. Such prevalent use, however, is not supported by robust, methodologically sound research...
- Methodological difficulties in homeopathic treatment of children with ADD/ADHDHeiner Frei
J Altern Complement Med 12:104; author reply 104. 2006
- Homeopathy for anxiety and anxiety disorders: a systematic review of the researchK Pilkington
School of Integrated Health, University of Westminster, London, UK
Homeopathy 95:151-62. 2006To conduct a systematic review of the clinical research evidence on homeopathy in the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- Homeopathy for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a pilot randomized-controlled trialJennifer Jacobs
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:799-806. 2005The aim of this study was to carry out a preliminary trial evaluating the effectiveness of homeopathy in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- The use of homeopathic combination remedy for dengue fever symptoms: a pilot RCT in HondurasJ Jacobs
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Homeopathy 96:22-6. 2007..The small sample size makes conclusions difficult, but the results of this study do not suggest that this combination homeopathic remedy is effective for the symptoms that are characteristic of dengue fever...
- Homeopathy for depression--DEP-HOM: study protocol for a randomized, partially double-blind, placebo controlled, four armed studyUbiratan C Adler
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics CharitÃ© University Medical Center D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Trials 12:43. 2011b>Homeopathy is often sought by patients with depression. In classical homeopathy, the treatment consists of two main elements: the case history and the prescription of an individually selected homeopathic remedy...
- Death by homeopathy: issues for civil, criminal and coronial law and for health service policyIan Freckelton
Crockett Chambers, Melbourne, Australia
J Law Med 19:454-78. 2012..However, recent years have seen a series of meta-analyses that have suggested that the therapeutic claims of homeopathy lack scientific justification...
- A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathyE Ernst
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Sport and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 54:577-82. 2002b>Homeopathy remains one of the most controversial subjects in therapeutics. This article is an attempt to clarify its effectiveness based on recent systematic reviews...
- Patient satisfaction and side effects in primary care: an observational study comparing homeopathy and conventional medicineFlorica Marian
Institute for Evaluative Research in Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Bern, Stauffacherstrasse 78, Bern, Switzerland
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:52. 2008..The main objective of this study is to investigate patient satisfaction and perception of side effects in homeopathy compared with conventional care in a primary care setting.
- Evidence of clinical efficacy of homeopathy. A meta-analysis of clinical trials. HMRAG. Homeopathic Medicines Research Advisory GroupM Cucherat
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Hospitals of Lyon and University Claude Bernard, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:27-33. 2000..To establish, using a systematic review and meta-analysis, whether there is any evidence from randomised controlled clinical trials of the efficacy of homeopathic treatment in patients with any disease...
- Running an NHS community homeopathy clinic - 10-year anniversary 2001-2011Stella Bawden
The Cornwall Road Medical Practice, 3 Frederick Treves House, St John Way, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 2FD, UK
Homeopathy 101:51-6. 2012An outcome series was conducted over a five-year period of patients attending a community NHS homeopathy clinic in Dorchester, Dorset. 273 new patients were seen...
- Animal models for studying homeopathy and high dilutions: conceptual critical reviewLeoni Villano Bonamin
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, University Paulista, Brazil
Homeopathy 99:37-50. 2010..The objectives are to analyze methodological quality of papers and reported results, and to highlight key conceptual aspects of high dilution to suggest clues concerning putative mechanisms of action...
- A systematic review of how homeopathy is represented in conventional and CAM peer reviewed journalsTimothy Caulfield
Health Law Institute, University of Alberta, Canada
BMC Complement Altern Med 5:12. 2005..Some suggest that publication biases occur in mainstream medicine, and may also occur in CAM. Homeopathy is one of the most widespread and most controversial forms of CAM...
- Homeopathy: what does the "best" evidence tell us?Edzard Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom
Med J Aust 192:458-60. 2010To evaluate the evidence for and against the effectiveness of homeopathy.
- Quality assessment of physical research in homeopathyClaudia Becker-Witt
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite Hospital, Humboldt University of Berlin, D Berlin, Germany
J Altern Complement Med 9:113-32. 2003..To assess the evidence of published experiments on homeopathic preparations (potencies) that target physical properties (i.e., assumed structural changes in solvents)...
- The conclusions on the effectiveness of homeopathy highly depend on the set of analyzed trialsR Ludtke
Karl und Veronica Carstens Stiftung, Essen, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 61:1197-204. 2008..We performed a sensitivity analysis on various other meaningful trial subsets of all high quality trials...
- The placebo-controlled trial as a test of complementary and alternative medicine: observations from research experience of individualised homeopathic treatmentE Weatherley-Jones
Medical Care Research Unit, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK
Homeopathy 93:186-9. 2004The authors' experience of conducting clinical trials in homeopathy and analysing data from these has drawn attention to a fundamental problem with the interpretation of results from placebo controlled trials in homeopathy: It is not ..
- Assessing patients' preferences for characteristics associated with homeopathic and conventional treatment of asthma: a conjoint analysis studyJ Ratcliffe
Health Economics Research Group, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Thorax 57:503-8. 2002....
- Translating a nonlinear systems theory model for homeopathy into empirical testsIris R Bell
Department of Psychiatry, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 8:58-66. 2002..In this paper we apply this theory to classical homeopathy and outline an empirical approach for testing the resultant hypotheses...
- The rat in basic therapeutic research in homeopathyR van Wijk
Faculty of Biology, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Homeopathy 98:280-6. 2009The Similia Principle, the basis of homeopathy, implies that substances initiating symptoms when applied to healthy biological systems can be utilized as remedies to treat a diseased system with similar symptoms...
- Characteristics of visitors to homeopaths in a total adult population study in Norway (HUNT 2)A Steinsbekk
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Homeopathy 97:178-84. 2008..To study the characteristics of people visiting homeopaths in a total adult population in Norway...
- Homeopathy in rural Australian primary health care: a survey of general practitioner referral and practice in rural and regional New South Wales, AustraliaJ Wardle
Australian Research Centre in Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Health, University of Technology Sydney, 235 253 Jones Street, Ultimo, NSW 2007, Australia
Homeopathy 102:199-206. 2013b>Homeopathy has attracted considerable recent attention from the Australian conventional medical community...
- Assays of homeopathic remedies in rodent behavioural and psychopathological modelsPaolo Bellavite
Department of Morphological Biomedical Sciences, University of Verona, Italy
Homeopathy 98:208-27. 2009..Finally, some methodological issues of animal research in this field of homeopathy are discussed...
- Homeopathy for childhood and adolescence ailments: systematic review of randomized clinical trialsUmut Altunc
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom
Mayo Clin Proc 82:69-75. 2007To assess the evidence of any type of therapeutic or preventive intervention testing homeopathy for childhood and adolescence ailments.
- Complementary and alternative medicine in children: an analysis of the recent literatureJohn Snyder
Baystate Children s Hospital, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 24:539-46. 2012....
- What is homeopathy? An introductionPeter Fisher
Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine, 60 Great Ormond Street, London WC1N 3HR, UK
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 4:1669-82. 2012b>Homeopathy is based on the idea of 'let like be cured by like'. It was founded by Samuel Hahnemann in the late 18th century, although similar concepts existed earlier...
- Plausibility of homeopathy and conventional chemical therapy: the systemic memory resonance hypothesisG E Schwartz
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721 0068, USA
Med Hypotheses 54:634-7. 2000....
- Homeopathy and rational therapeuticsJohn Smyth
Eur J Cancer 41:7-8; discussion 9-11, 12-4. 2005
- 'An innocent deception': placebo controls in the St Petersburg homeopathy trial, 1829-1830M E Dean
Department of Health Sciences, Seebohm Rowntree Building, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK
J R Soc Med 99:375-6. 2006
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis study results of questionable relevance to homeopathyDónal P O'Mathúna
Ann Pharmacother 39:736-8. 2005
- The safety of homeopathic productsPeter Fisher
J R Soc Med 95:474-5; author reply 475-6. 2002
- Homeopathic Arnica montana for post-tonsillectomy analgesia: a randomised placebo control trialA Robertson
ENT Department, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Homeopathy 96:17-21. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of Homeopathic Arnica in reducing the morbidity following tonsillectomy...
- Complexity science and homeopathy: a synthetic overviewP Bellavite
Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, University of Verona Ospedale Policlinico, Piazza L A Scuro, 37134 Verona, Italy
Homeopathy 92:203-12. 2003b>Homeopathy is founded on 'holistic' and 'vitalistic' paradigms, which may be interpreted--at least in part--in terms of a framework provided by the theory of dynamic systems and of complexity...
- Against homeopathy--a utilitarian perspectiveKevin Smith
Abertay University Contemporary Sciences, Baxter Building, Dundee, Tayside DD1 1HG, UK
Bioethics 26:398-409. 2012I examine the positive and negative features of homeopathy from an ethical perspective...
- Method for appraising model validity of randomised controlled trials of homeopathic treatment: multi-rater concordance studyRobert T Mathie
British Homeopathic Association, Luton, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:49. 2012A method for assessing the model validity of randomised controlled trials of homeopathy is needed...
- Classical homeopathy in the treatment of cancer patients--a prospective observational study of two independent cohortsMatthias Rostock
Tumour Biology Center at Albert Ludwig s University Freiburg, Germany
BMC Cancer 11:19. 2011Many cancer patients seek homeopathy as a complementary therapy. It has rarely been studied systematically, whether homeopathic care is of benefit for cancer patients.
- Homeopathy: clarifying its relationship to hormesisEdward J Calabrese
Environmental Health Sciences Program, School of Public Health, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Hum Exp Toxicol 29:531-6. 2010..Of note is that this model uses exposures within a measurable predicted hormetic range, unlike most forms of homeopathy. This experimental framework (along with a pre-conditioning model developed by Bellavite) provides a possible ..
- Is homeopathy really 'morally and ethically unacceptable'? A critique of pure scientismLionel Milgrom
Programme for Advanced Homeopathic Studies, London
Bioethics 26:501-3; discussion 508-12. 2012In this short response we show that Kevin Smith's moral and ethical rejections of homeopathy(1) are fallacious and rest on questionable epistemology...
- Making medicine indigenous: homeopathy in South IndiaGary J Hausman
Department of Anthrology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Soc Hist Med 15:303-22. 2002Historical studies of homeopathy in Europe and the USA have focused on practitioners' attempts to emphasize 'modern' and 'scientific' approaches. Studies of homeopathy in India have focused on a process of Indianization...
- Homoeopathic versus conventional therapy for atopic eczema in children: medical and economic resultsClaudia M Witt
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charité University Medical Centre, DE 10098 Berlin, Germany
Dermatology 219:329-40. 2009..One of five children visiting a homoeopathic physician is suffering from atopic eczema...
- Homoeopathic versus conventional treatment of children with eczema: a comparative cohort studyT Keil
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center Berlin, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Complement Ther Med 16:15-21. 2008..To assess, over a period of 12 months, whether homoeopathic treatment could influence eczema signs/symptoms and quality of life (QoL) compared with conventional treatment...
- Does a homeopathic ultramolecular dilution of Thyroidinum 30cH affect the rate of body weight reduction in fasting patients? A randomised placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trialJ M Schmidt
Krankenhaus für Naturheilweisen, Munich, Germany
Homeopathy 91:197-206. 2002..To test whether an ultramolecular dilution of homeopathic Thyroidinum has an effect over placebo on weight reduction of fasting patients in so-called 'fasting crisis'...
- A review of the use and role of low potencies in homeopathyRobert Jütte
Institute for History of Medicine, Robert Bosch Foundation, Straussweg 17, D 70184 Stuttgart, Germany
Complement Ther Med 13:291-6. 2005The issue of potency choice in homeopathy has always been controversial...
- Homeopathy service in a National Health Service community menopause clinic: audit of clinical outcomesClare Relton
School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S1 4DA, UK
J Br Menopause Soc 11:72-3. 2005Sheffield's National Health Service community menopause clinic has run a homeopathy service since 1998...
- Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis using homeopathic preparation of common allergens in the southwest region of the US: a randomized, controlled clinical trialLinda S Kim
Southwest College Research Institute, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Tempe, AZ 85282 1751, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:617-24. 2005Studies using homeopathy have reported beneficial effects from treating allergy-related conditions.
- Basophil models of homeopathy: a sceptical viewMadeleine Ennis
Respiratory Medicine Research Group, Centre for Infection and Immunity, Microbiology Building, The Queen s University of Belfast, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BN, Northern Ireland, UK
Homeopathy 99:51-6. 2010..After standardization of a number of parameters, it is recommended that a multi-centre trial be performed to hopefully put an end to this "never-ending story"...
- Adaptive coping strategies and attitudes toward health and healing in German homeopathy and acupuncture usersArndt Bussing
Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Witten Herdecke, Herdecke, Germany
Explore (NY) 6:237-45. 2010Although acupuncture and homeopathy both have a theoretical background that refers to immaterial forces difficult to verify, they are nevertheless used and accepted as effective treatments by many individuals.
- Different forms of administration of biotherapy 7dH in mice experimentally infected by Trypanosoma cruzi produce different effectsFabiana Nabarro Ferraz
Basic Health Science Department, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Parana, Brazil
Homeopathy 100:237-43. 2011..To evaluate the effects of different forms of administration of the blood trypomastigotes biotherapy 7dH in mice experimentally infected with Trypanosoma cruzi...
- From Hahnemann's hand to your computer screen: building a digital homeopathy collectionLisa A Mix
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 99:51-6. 2011..the unique manuscript of the sixth edition of Samuel Hahnemann's Organon der Heilkunst, the primary text of homeopathy. The manuscript volume is Hahnemann's own copy of the fifth edition of the Organon with his notes for the sixth ..
- Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomised controlled clinical trialG T Lewith
Medical Specialties, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, Hampshire SO16 6YD
BMJ 324:520. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of homoeopathic immunotherapy on lung function and respiratory symptoms in asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite...
- Usage of alternative medical systems, acupuncture, homeopathy and anthroposophic medicine, by older German adultsArndt Bussing
Quality of Life, Spirituality and Coping, Center for Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Health, University of Witten Herdecke, Gerhard Kienle Weg 4, 58313 Herdecke, Germany
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 9:847-56. 2011..This study intended to analyze the usage of specific CAM practices among a population of older German adults with health insurance coverage...
- An exploratory study on scientific investigations in homeopathy using medical analyzerNirupama Mishra
Regional Research Institute for Homoeopathy, CCRH, Mumbai, India
J Altern Complement Med 17:705-10. 2011..An attempt was made to explore autonomic response of selective homeopathic medicines, in healthy persons, using Medical Analyzer System (Electronics Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India)...
- Homeopathic arnica for prevention of pain and bruising: randomized placebo-controlled trial in hand surgeryC Stevinson
Department of Complementary Medicine, University of Exeter, UK
J R Soc Med 96:60-5. 2003..The results of this trial do not suggest that homeopathic arnica has an advantage over placebo in reducing postoperative pain, bruising and swelling in patients undergoing elective hand surgery...
- For homeopathy: a practising physician's perspectiveRichard Moskowitz
American Institute of Homeopathy, USA
Bioethics 26:499-500; discussion 508-12. 2012This article is a rebuttal to Kevin Smith's 'Against Homeopathy,' which was posted on 14 February 2011.(1) It contends that his argument rests entirely on the assumption that homeopathic remedies are nothing but placebos...
- A preliminary audit investigating remedy reactions including adverse events in routine homeopathic practiceE Thompson
Bristol Homeopathic Hospital, United Bristol Healthcare Trust, Cotham Hill, Bristol BS6 6PD, UK
Homeopathy 93:203-9. 2004..Some remedy reactions may be regarded as adverse events. AUDIT QUESTIONS: Do such reactions occur within our unit, and if so, how frequently? Do patients regard these events as "adverse"?..
- Homeopathy for the treatment of menstrual irregularities: a case seriesP Cardigno
Homeopathic Clinical Research, Scientific Department FIAMO Homeosynesis Medical Association, Colorno, Italy
Homeopathy 98:97-106. 2009..A preliminary study to evaluate the usefulness of homeopathic treatment in the care of menstrual irregularities...
- A darker shade of green: medical botany, homeopathy, and cultural politics in interwar GermanyMichael G Kenny
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada
Soc Hist Med 15:481-504. 2002..This article traces the historical background to the Madaus research: first, the role of homeopathy in the introduction of Dieffenbachias to western medicine; secondly, the social context of German 'alternative' ..
- Methodological implications of nonlinear dynamical systems models for whole systems of complementary and alternative medicineIris R Bell
Department of Family and Community Medicine, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85719 5052, USA
Forsch Komplementmed 19:15-21. 2012..g., Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, and homeopathy. The worldview hypotheses that underlie NDS and WS-CAM (contextual, organismic, interactive-integrative - Pepper,..
- Advances in homeopathy and immunology: a review of clinical researchPaolo Bellavite
Department of Pathology and Diagnostics, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 3:1363-89. 2011..paper reviews the clinical research carried out over the past three decades to evaluate the effectiveness of homeopathy for the treatment of respiratory allergies, common upper respiratory tract infections, otorhinolaryngologic ..
- The truth about homeopathyE Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 65:163-4. 2008
- Mice as a model for homeopathy researchAnisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh
Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani, Kalyani 741235, West Bengal, India
Homeopathy 98:267-79. 2009Mice (Mus musculus) have been used as a model for homeopathy research in relation to cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and carcinogenesis in our laboratory for the last three decades...
- A systematic review of the quality of homeopathic clinical trialsW B Jonas
Samueli Institute for Information Biology and Department of Family Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 1:12. 2001..In addition, no review has used established and validated quality criteria allowing direct comparison of the allopathic and homeopathic literature...
- Healthcare provided by a homeopath as an adjunct to usual care for Fibromyalgia (FMS): results of a pilot Randomised Controlled TrialClare Relton
School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK School of Healthcare, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Homeopathy 98:77-82. 2009..To assess the feasibility of a Randomised Controlled Trial (RCT) design of usual care compared with usual care plus adjunctive care by a homeopath for patients with Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS)...
- Efficacy of homeopathic arnica: a systematic review of placebo-controlled clinical trialsE Ernst
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Arch Surg 133:1187-90. 1998..The efficacy of homeopathic remedies has remained controversial. The homeopathic remedy most frequently studied in placebo-controlled clinical trials is Arnica montana...
- Homeopathy for menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors: a preliminary randomized controlled trialJennifer Jacobs
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:21-7. 2005To carry out a preliminary trial evaluating the effectiveness of two types of homeopathy for the treatment of menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors.
- Diagnoses and treatment in homeopathic medical practiceC Becker-Witt
Institut für Sozialmedizin, Epidemiologie und Gesundheitsökonomie, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 11:98-103. 2004..Despite increasing interest in complementary medicine worldwide, there has been no systematic large-scale documentation of medical homeopathic care...
- A qualitative study of patient's views on the consultation at the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital, an NHS integrative complementary and orthodox medical care unitStewart W Mercer
Section of General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Community Based Sciences, University of Glasgow, 4 Lancaster Crescent, Glasgow G12 0RR, Scotland, UK
Patient Educ Couns 53:13-8. 2004..In conclusion, patients attending the GHH highly value the holistic approach, and view time, empathy, and the therapeutic relationship as being of key importance...
- Reporting data on homeopathic treatments (RedHot): a supplement to CONSORTMike Emmans Dean
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York, United Kingdom
J Altern Complement Med 13:19-23. 2007When homeopathy is tested in clinical trials, understanding and appraisal is likely to be improved if published reports contain details of prescribing strategies and treatments...
- Depression research in homeopathy: hopeless or hopeful?Iris R Bell
Homeopathy 94:141-4. 2005
- Elements of effective communication--rediscoveries from homeopathyChristiane S Hartog
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 77:172-8. 2009Patients are increasingly attracted to homeopathy despite the unproven effectiveness of homeopathic remedies. Clinical benefit of homeopathy may be due to communication...
- Polarity analysis, a new approach to increase the precision of homeopathic prescriptionsHeiner Frei
Swiss Association of Homeopathic Physicians and Institute for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, KIKOM, University of Berne, Switzerland
Homeopathy 98:49-55. 2009The Swiss randomised controlled trial of homeopathy for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) was a rigorous test of homeopathy...
- Complementary medicine in pediatrics: a review of acupuncture, homeopathy, massage, and chiropractic therapiesCora Collette Breuner
University of Washington Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington
Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 32:353-84. 2002
- The defining role of structure (including epitaxy) in the plausibility of homeopathyManju Lata Rao
The Materials Research Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Homeopathy 96:175-82. 2007The key stumbling block to serious consideration of homeopathy is the presumed "implausibility" of biological activity for homeopathic medicines in which the source material is diluted past Avogadro's number of molecules...
- Homeopathic care for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children: a pragmatic, randomised, controlled trial comparing individualised homeopathic care and waiting-list controlsAslak Steinsbekk
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, MTFS, N 7489 Trondheim, Norway
Complement Ther Med 13:231-8. 2005..To investigate whether individualised treatment by homeopaths is effective in preventing childhood upper respiratory tract infection (URTI)...
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) studies of homeopathic solutionsS Aabel
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Department of General Practice, University of Oslo, Norway
Br Homeopath J 90:14-20. 2001The efficacy of homeopathy is controversial. Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) has been used to study homeopathic solutions, showing provocative results. We examined the reproducibility of one of the allegedly positive studies...
- Is homeopathy a clinically valuable approach?Edzard Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
Trends Pharmacol Sci 26:547-8. 2005b>Homeopathy is a popular but implausible form of medicine. Contrary to many claims by homeopaths, there is no conclusive evidence that highly dilute homeopathic remedies are different from placebos...
- An observational study of patients receiving homeopathic treatmentM Van Wassenhoven
Unio Homoeopathica Belgica, 132 chaussée de Bruxelles, 1190 Brussels, Belgium
Homeopathy 93:3-11. 2004..Observational studies have recently contributed useful information to the debate about the utility of homeopathic treatment in everyday practice...
- Laboratory research in homeopathy: conJohn R Moffett
Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 5:333-42. 2006..b>Homeopathy is an alternative medical practice often applied to less critical human diseases but one that has also been ..
- Research on homeopathy: state of the artHarald Walach
University College Northampton, School of Social Sciences, UK
J Altern Complement Med 11:813-29. 2005In this paper, we review research on homeopathy from four perspectives, focusing on reviews and some landmark studies. These perspectives are laboratory studies, clinical trials, observational studies, and theoretical work...
- The feasibility of a randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial of homeopathic treatment of depression in general practiceT Katz
Lower Clapton Group Practice
Homeopathy 94:145-52. 2005Depression is common in general practice and lack of concordance is an important problem in its treatment. Homeopathy has few side effects and is generally associated with good compliance...
- Evaluation of a GP practice based homeopathy serviceKaren Slade
Coventry City Primary Care Trust, Christchurch House, Greyfriars Lane, Coventry, CV1 2GQ, UK
Homeopathy 93:67-70. 2004This study aimed to evaluate the effect of a GP-led practice-based homeopathy service on symptoms, activity, wellbeing, general practice consultation rate and the use of conventional medications...
- Hormesis is not homeopathyMenachem Oberbaum
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 206:365; author reply 365-6. 2005
- Outcome and costs of homoeopathic and conventional treatment strategies: a comparative cohort study in patients with chronic disordersClaudia Witt
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Complement Ther Med 13:79-86. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of homoeopathy versus conventional treatment in routine care...
- Plant models for fundamental research in homeopathyL Betti
Homeopathy 92:129-30. 2003
- Homeopathic practitioner views of changes in patients undergoing constitutional treatment for chronic diseaseIris R Bell
Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5153, USA
J Altern Complement Med 9:39-50. 2003..To identify areas that classical homeopathic practitioners would want to see evaluated in a patient self-report questionnaire sensitive to change during constitutional treatment...
- Homeopathy in cancer careMoshe Frenkel
University of Texas, Houston, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 16:12-6. 2010b>Homeopathy is a controversial system of care that is practiced extensively in Europe, Asia, and South America primarily for functional and minor ailments. In this review, published studies on homeopathic remedies and cancer were examined...
- Homeopathy and placebo--synonym, similar or different?Frank Zimmermann-Viehoff
Abt fur Psychosomatik und Psychotherapie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Forsch Komplementmed 14:247-8. 2007
- Homeopathy has clinical benefits in rheumatoid arthritis patients that are attributable to the consultation process but not the homeopathic remedy: a randomized controlled clinical trialSarah Brien
Complementary and Integrated Medicine Research Unit, Primary Medical Care, Aldermoor Health Centre, Aldermoor Close, Southampton SO16 5ST, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 50:1070-82. 2011..To assess whether any benefits from adjunctive homeopathic intervention in patients with RA are due to the homeopathic consultation, homeopathic remedies or both...
- The importance of empathy in the enablement of patients attending the Glasgow Homoeopathic HospitalStewart W Mercer
Department of General Practice, University of Glasgow
Br J Gen Pract 52:901-5. 2002..Patient enablement in general practice is known to be limited by consultation length. However, the processes within the consultation that lead to enablement are not well understood...
- Towards standard setting for patient-reported outcomes in the NHS homeopathic hospitalsElizabeth A Thompson
Bristol Homeopathic Hospital, Bristol, UK
Homeopathy 97:114-21. 2008..We report findings from a pilot data collection study within a programme of quality assurance, improvement and development across all five homeopathic hospitals in the UK National Health Service (NHS)...
- Effect of homeopathy on analgesic intake following knee ligament reconstruction: a phase III monocentre randomized placebo controlled studyA Paris
INSERM, CIC003, CHU Grenoble, Grenoble F 38043, Grenoble, France
Br J Clin Pharmacol 65:180-7. 2008The efficacy of homeopathy is still under debate and a recent meta-analysis recommended further randomized double-blind clinical trials to identify any clinical situation in which homeopathy might be effective.
- Homeopathy for depression: a systematic review of the research evidenceK Pilkington
Research Council for Complementary Medicine, London, UK
Homeopathy 94:153-63. 2005To systematically review the research evidence on the effectiveness of homeopathy for the treatment of depression and depressive disorders.
- Conceptions of health, illness and treatment of patients who use homeopathy in Santos, BrazilC M Patriani Justo
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, Department of Preventive Medicine, 1341, Borges Lagoa Street, 04023 034 São Paulo, Brazil
Homeopathy 97:22-7. 2008To investigate the conceptions of health and illness, the reasons for seeking homeopathy and continuing treatment, compliance and the meaning of the relationship between religiosity and health for patients who adhere to homeopathy.
- Hormesis may provide a central concept for homeopathy developmentSimonetta Bernardini
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 211:84-5; author reply 86.. 2006
- Practitioner empathy, patient enablement and health outcomes of patients attending the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital: a retrospective and prospective comparisonStewart W Mercer
General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Community Based Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:498-501. 2005..This study demonstrates the importance of prospective studies in assessing potentially causal relationships between consultation quality and health outcomes and suggests a key role for patient enablement...
- Summary consensus statement of the PEK review board regarding the PEK process and the PEK productsHarald Walach
University of Northampton, School of Social Sciences, Samueli Institute for Information Biology, Boughton Green Road, Northampton NN2 7AL, United Kingdom
J Altern Complement Med 12:347-8. 2006
- A critical overview of homeopathyWayne B Jonas
Samueli Institute for Information Biology, 121 South Saint Asaph Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:393-9. 2003b>Homeopathy is a 200-year-old therapeutic system that uses small doses of various substances to stimulate autoregulatory and self-healing processes...
- A homeopathic ointment preparation compared with 1% diclofenac gel for acute symptomatic treatment of tendinopathyChristian Schneider
Klinik für Ganzheitsmedizin, Herrsching, Germany
Explore (NY) 1:446-52. 2005..The incidence of tendon injuries and tendinopathy has risen substantially in the past decades...
- An overview of two Cochrane systematic reviews of complementary treatments for chronic asthma: acupuncture and homeopathyR W McCarney
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College, Room 4 06, Paterson Centre, 20 South Wharf Road, London W2 1PD, UK
Respir Med 98:687-96. 2004Acupuncture and homeopathy are commonly used complementary treatments for chronic asthma...
- Exploring attitudes toward, and knowledge of, homeopathy and CAM through focus groupsAdrian Furnham
Department of Psychology, UCL, London
Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery 8:42-7. 2002..Results showed participants had self-confessed ignorance about homeopathy and also that their ideas and beliefs were not internally coherent...
- A pilot, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of individualized homeopathy for symptoms of estrogen withdrawal in breast-cancer survivorsElizabeth A Thompson
Bristol Homeopathic Hospital, Bristol, UK
J Altern Complement Med 11:13-20. 2005To pilot an investigation of individualized homeopathy for symptoms of estrogen withdrawal in breast cancer survivors.
- Complex Isopathic Drug Development for NeuroprotectionWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2003..the area of toxicology called "hormesis" and is the theoretical basis for the observed effects in some types of homeopathy (specifically isopathy)...
- Polysomnography in Homeopathic Remedy EffectsIris Bell; Fiscal Year: 2007Classical homeopathy is a 200-year old system of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), which claims that a substance that can cause symptoms in a healthy person (provings) can cure similar symptoms in a sick person (Law of ..
- RACIAL/ETHNIC DIFFERENCES AND THE ECONOMIC OF CAM USEKe Xu; Fiscal Year: 2006..chiropractics, massage therapy, herbal remedies, spiritual healings or prayers, nutritional advice, acupuncture, meditation/imagery/relaxation, homeopathy, traditional medicine, biofeedback training, hypnosis and others. [unreadable]
- Patient & Provider Perspectives on Homeopathic TreatmentIris Bell; Fiscal Year: 2004..This project is part of the Pi's long-term interactive homeopathy research program on patient-centered issues and psychophysiological markers of homeopathic remedy effects...
- Whole Health Access: A Local Referral Network PlatformALLEN TIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..mechanisms, but there are many health problems for which patients seek complementary or alternative treatments (homeopathy, chiropractics, massage therapy, etc.) that also offer success, or at least better quality of life...
- Arizona Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Training ProgramIRIS ROBERTA BELL; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), homeopathy, naturopathy, indigenous healing traditions, and contemporary integrative medicine...
- A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF NON-SCIENTIFIC MEDICAL USEBernice Pescosolido; Fiscal Year: 1980..styles used, past and present, to manage illness but focus on medical systems including "Western" medicine, homeopathy, chiropractic, herbalism and acupuncture...
- Developing Patient-Centered Measures for Outcomes of CAM TherapiesCheryl K Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. homeopathy, energy or spiritual healing, acupuncture), report what can be called transformative experiences, as described ..
- AUTOMATED ARCHIVE OF AMERICAN TRADITIONAL MEDICINEMichael Jones; Fiscal Year: 2000..medicine, a term that covers folk medicine, home remedies, self treatment, alternative medicine (chiropractic, homeopathy, holistic healing, etc.), curanderismo, hoodoo, and related forms...
- Integrating CAM into a Family Medicine Residency ProgramANN SKELTON; Fiscal Year: 2003..physician residency faculty leaders in four areas of CAM: acupuncture, manipulative therapies, herbal remedies/homeopathy, and mind-body interventions. 3...
- ASTHMA--ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE CENTERMERRILL GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2000..These rely on modalities including herbal medicine, ethnomedicine, nutrition, and homeopathy. UC Davis is uniquely positioned to study these issues and develop a national outreach program based on ..
- NEUROPROTECTION WITH GLUTAMATE AND ARNICA MONTANAWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2000..This phenomenon is the theoretical basis for the observed effects in homeopathy. While paradoxical dose effects been demonstrated across multiple cells types and phyla they have not yet been ..
- Individual Differences in CAM Patient-Centered Outcomes: Research & MentorshipIris Bell; Fiscal Year: 2009..in CAM related fields, including biofeedback, nutrition, dietary supplements, environmental medicine, and homeopathy. Her current focus is patient-centered, rather than disease-centered, whole systems of complementary and ..
- Advances in Allergy, Asthma and ImmunologyLeonard Bielory; Fiscal Year: 2002..The tentative schedule provides for the Overview of CAM; Overview of Herbal Medicine in Asthma; Overview of Homeopathy in Allergies; Overview of Probiotics in Atopic Dermatitis; Medico-Legal Aspects and Adverse Reactions...
- EFFECTS OF LOW-DOSE CADMIUM ON PROSTATE CELLSWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2000..This strategy is also the theoretical basis for the observed effects in homeopathy. The homeopathic literature has for decades reported the use of cadmium for the treatment of cancer...
- HOMEOPATHY--CLIENT CHARACTERISTICS AND HEALTH OUTCOMESMichael Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1993..from the Applicant's Abstract): This descriptive study proposes to answer questions related to the practice of homeopathy and characteristics of 130 patients that would provide data for future randomized, controlled studies of ..
- BIOMARKERS OF HOMEOPATHY IN FIBROMYALGIAIris Bell; Fiscal Year: 2001..Classical homeopathy, a controversial alternative therapy, claims to provide such an integrative intervention to treat the totality ..
- Placebo: Physician or Pill? RCT in a commom cold modelBruce Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Meditation and Exercise for Prevention of Acute Respiratory InfectionBruce P Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we want to investigate the influence of stress, optimism, anxiety and positive and negative emotion on immunity and resistance to respiratory infection. ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..
- CD8 T Cell Replicative Senescence: Impact on Aged HumansRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- FLUOXETINE AND BEHAVIOR THERAPY IN SOCIAL PHOBIAJonathan Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Effective treatments can be a long way towards reducing the societal burden associated with the disorder. ..
- CD8 T Cell Replicative Senescence & HIV DiseaseRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2008..This novel approach to analysis of the immune exhaustion in HIV disease may yield promising strategies for immunotherapy to retard or prevent progression to AIDS. ..
- MECHANISM OF PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROMERoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, our findings may contribute to the understanding of pain mechanisms related to other chronic pain disorders. ..
- Conference on the Biology of AgingRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2007..The dissemination of information that is useful for maintaining the health and vitality of this age group will have a significant impact on the quality of life of a large number of Americans. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- KAVA KAVA IN GENERALIZED ANXIETY: A DOUBLE-BLIND TRIALJonathan Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2001..It will also contribute towards providing an answer to what is rapidly becoming a major public health question, namely what can we reasonably expect herbal treatments to offer? ..
- MAINTENANCE FLUOXETINE IN POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDERJonathan Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Health services and cost implications of such findings remain considerable, given the morbidity associated with PTSD. ..
- Controlled Trial of an Herbal Therapy for ADHDWendy Weber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The Feasibility of Assessing the Prevalence of RicketsJames Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition to assessing possible methodologies for the larger project, the preliminary study is designed to yield standalone results with important implications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUP STUDIESThomas McLean; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Osteopuncture for OA-Associated Knee Pain & DisabilityDebra Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, mechanisms of action will be explored, and the impact of osteopuncture on health care costs determined. ..
- T Cell Replicative Senescence & Bone Loss During AgingRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- A RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL OF ECHINACEA IN CHILDRENJames Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Functional Impact of PENS for 65+ Chronic Low Back PainDebra Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Computerized Assessment of Cancer SymptomsJANET CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Methodology of Phase I and II trials of anticancer CAMAndrew Vickers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CD8 T Cell Interaction with Bone Cells in HIV DiseaseRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- VENLAFAXINE FOR HOT FLASHES FOLLOWING BREAST CANCERJANET CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., t-tests, linear regression, GEE, mixed model). Study findings will significantly contribute to the scientific basis of hot flash management in women following treatment for breast cancer. ..