Summary: Use of a balloon catheter to block the flow of blood through an artery or vein.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Closure of two atrial septal defects using two separate Amplatzer ASD devicesRobin J Pinto
Glenmark Cardiac Centre, Flat No 10, Nandadeep, Ground Floor, 209 D, Dr Ambedkar Road Matunga E, Mumbai 400019
Indian Heart J 57:251-4. 2005..We report a patient who had two moderate-sized atrial septal defects in whom transcatheter closure of both the defects using two Amplatzer septal occluders was performed successfully...
- Reduction of arteriohepatovenous shunting by temporary balloon occlusion in patients undergoing radioembolizationLourens Bester
Department of Interventional Radiology, University of New South Wales, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, New South Wales 2010, Australia
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:1310-4. 2007..This endovascular technique used to reduce arteriohepatovenous shunting allows otherwise untreatable patients to undergo radioembolization...
- A pilot study to assess whether glucagon-like peptide-1 protects the heart from ischemic dysfunction and attenuates stunning after coronary balloon occlusion in humansPhilip A Read
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Circ Cardiovasc Interv 4:266-72. 2011..We investigated whether GLP-1 protected the heart from dysfunction caused by supply ischemia during percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric fundal varices with hemorrhageMikiya Kitamoto
First Department of Internal Medicine, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:1167-74. 2002..This study was performed to evaluate the clinical efficacy, feasibility, and complications of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for patients with hemorrhage from gastric fundal varices...
- Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric variceal bleeding and risky gastric varices: a 10-year experienceTomohiko Akahoshi
Departments of Surgery and Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1702-9. 2008..We investigated the long-term effects of B-RTO on rebleeding, prevention of first bleeding, mortality and occurrence of risky esophageal varices (EVx)...
- Selective balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varix with preservation of major portacaval shuntNorifumi Nishida
Department of Radiology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3, Asahimachi, Abeno bu, Osaka, Japan 545 8585
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:1155-7. 2006
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration improves liver function in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertensionYasunao Miyamoto
Department of Medicine II, Division of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:934-42. 2003..However, the effects of B-RTO on liver function remain unknown...
- A modified metallic coil embolization technique for pulmonary arteriovenous malformations using coil anchors and occlusion balloon cathetersKensaku Mori
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 31:638-42. 2008..To evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of a modified metallic coil embolization technique for pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (PAVMs) using coil anchors and occlusion balloon catheters...
- In vitro comparison of four cerebral protection filters for preventing human plaque embolization during carotid interventionsStefan Muller-Hulsbeck
Department of Radiology, University Hospital, Kiel, Germany
J Endovasc Ther 9:793-802. 2002..To evaluate in an in vitro bench-top model the efficacy of 4 filtration devices designed for cerebral protection during carotid angioplasty...
- The short-term effects of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration, for treating gastric variceal bleeding, on portal hypertensive changes: a CT evaluationSung Ki Cho
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 8:520-30. 2007..We wanted to evaluate the short-term effects of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO) for treating gastric variceal bleeding, in terms of the portal hypertensive changes, by comparing CT scans...
- Infusion of 50% glucose solution before injection of ethanolamine oleate during balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliterationT Yamagami
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo, Kyoto 602 8566
Australas Radiol 51:334-8. 2007..In three patients, embolization of collateral vessels with coils was unnecessary. There were no complications. In conclusion, retrograde infusion of 50% glucose solution assists in effectively carrying out BRTO...
- Multidetector CT anatomy of drainage routes of gastric varices: a pictorial reviewHiro Kiyosue
Department of Radiology, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama machi, Yufu City, Oita 879 5963, Japan
Radiographics 33:87-100. 2013..Familiarity with and assessment of these draining routes of gastric varices are important for selecting treatment options and interventional techniques...
- Efficacy of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration, percutaneous transhepatic obliteration and combined techniques for the management of gastric fundal varicesHirotaka Arai
Department of Gastroenterology, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:3866-73. 2006..To evaluate the effect of three interventional treatments involving transvenous obliteration for the treatment of gastric varices, and to compare the efficacy and adverse effects of these methods...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of complex gastric varices assisted by temporary balloon occlusion of the splenic arteryHiro Kiyosue
Department of Radiology, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama, Yufu City, Oita, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 22:1045-8. 2011..contrast medium, were treated by balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO) and temporary balloon occlusion of the splenic artery. The gastric varices were completely filled with sclerosant in all but one patient...
- Initial experience of intracranial aneurysm embolization using the balloon remodeling technique with Scepter C, a new double-lumen balloonB Gory
Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, CHU Dupuytren, Limoges, France
Interv Neuroradiol 18:284-7. 2012..010 to 0.012 inches. We describe the first case of aneurysm embolization using the BRT with the new double-lumen balloon catheter, Scepter C(®), navigable on a 0.014-inch wire, and discuss the benefit of such a device...
- Development of thrombus in a systemic vein after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varicesRika Yoshimatsu
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Korean J Radiol 13:324-31. 2012....
- Three benefits of microcatheters for retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varicesTetsuo Sonomura
Department of Radiology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama 641 8510, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 18:1373-8. 2012..To evaluate the usefulness of the microcatheter techniques in balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO) of gastric varices...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices with gastrorenal shunt: long-term follow-up in 78 patientsTeruhisa Ninoi
Department of Radiology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:1340-6. 2005..Our aim was to evaluate the long-term clinical results after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) for gastric varices with spontaneous gastrorenal shunt...
- Giant high-flow type pulmonary arteriovenous malformation: coil embolization with flow control by balloon occlusion and an anchored detachable coilMasayuki Kanematsu
Department of Radiology, Gifu University Hospital, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Korean J Radiol 13:111-4. 2012..a delivery wire (an anchored detachable coil), was first placed in the feeding artery under flow control by balloon occlusion, and then multiple microcoils were packed proximally to the anchored detachable coil...
- Haemodynamic changes in the liver under balloon occlusion of a portal vein branch: evaluation with single-level dynamic computed tomography during hepatic arteriographyY Komada
Department of Radiology, Center for Advanced Medical Technology, Sendagi, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Radiol 62:579-86. 2007..To assess haemodynamic changes in the liver under temporary occlusion of an intrahepatic portal vein...
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation with cooled electrodes combined with hepatic arterial balloon occlusion in hepatocellular carcinomaTakahiro Yamasaki
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minamikogushi, Ube, 755 8505, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:171-8. 2005We have reported that percutaneous radiofrequency ablation (RFA) with balloon occlusion of the hepatic artery (balloon-occluded RFA), using an expandable electrode, increases the coagulation area...
- Comparison of technetium Tc 99m hexamethylpropyleneamine oxime single-photon emission tomograph with stump pressure during the balloon occlusion test of the internal carotid arteryNoriaki Tomura
Department of Radiology, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1, Hondo, Akita City, Akita 010 8543, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:1937-42. 2005..We compared the stump pressure during occlusion of the internal carotid artery with single-photon emission CT (SPECT) using technetium Tc 99m hexamethylpropyleneamine oxime (HMPAO)...
- [CT-guided aortic balloon occlusion in traumatic abdominal and pelvic bleeding]U Linsenmaier
Institut fur Klinische Radiologie, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen
Rofo 175:1259-63. 2003To introduce a new interventional method for CT-guided aortic balloon occlusion in patients with life-threatening abdominal or pelvic bleeding.
- Bilateral vertebral artery balloon occlusion for giant vertebrobasilar aneurysmsM Sluzewski
St Elisabeth Ziekenhuis, Hilvarenbeekseweg 60, 5022 GC Tilburg, The Netherlands
Neuroradiology 43:336-41. 2001..in six consecutive patients with a giant vertebrobasilar aneurysm treated by bilateral vertebral artery balloon occlusion. Five patients presented with headache and signs of brain-stem compression and one with subarachnoid ..
- Determinants of prognostically relevant intracoronary electrocardiogram ST-segment shift during coronary balloon occlusionStefano Fausto de Marchi
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Am J Cardiol 110:1234-9. 2012..disease, the following simultaneous quantitative measurements were obtained during a 1-minute coronary balloon occlusion: intracoronary ECG ST-segment shift (recorded by angioplasty guidewire), mean aortic pressure, mean distal ..
- Temporary balloon occlusion of the common hepatic artery for administration of yttrium-90 resin microspheres in a patient with patent hepatoenteric collateralsArmeen Mahvash
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 1471, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 23:277-80. 2012..At 9 months after treatment, the patient had no gastrointestinal side effects and showed a partial response...
- The prevalence, risk factors, and clinical outcome of balloon rupture in balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varicesSae Jin Park
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University Medical Research Center and Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 21:503-7. 2010..To evaluate the prevalence, risk factors, and clinical outcome after balloon rupture during balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO)...
- Balloon occlusion of the ascending aorta without hypothermic circulatory arrest in valve surgery for patients with a porcelain aortaTomonobu Abe
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Social Insurance Chukyo Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Heart Surg Forum 13:E251-3. 2010..The optimal approach in such patients is unknown. Four valve surgeries were performed with balloon occlusion without hypothermic circulatory arrest...
- Prediction of improved liver function after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration: relation to hepatic vein pressure gradientHideo Uehara
Department of Surgery and Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27:137-41. 2012..The aim of this study was to examine the changes of the hepatic vein pressure gradient (HVPG) after B-RTO and determine the relation between the changes of HVPG and liver function...
- Head to head comparison between the conventional balloon occlusion method and the non-occlusion method for optical coherence tomographyHideaki Kataiwa
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Int J Cardiol 146:186-90. 2011..The current OCT system, however, has a serious limitation in that the image acquisition method requires a soft balloon occlusion to avoid signal scattering from red blood cells.
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices: outcomes and complications in 49 patientsSung Ki Cho
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Ilwon dong 50, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:W365-72. 2007..Our aim was to evaluate the clinical outcomes, techniques, and complications of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for treating gastric varices with spontaneous gastrosystemic shunts...
- Transcatheter obliteration of gastric varices: Part 2. Strategy and techniques based on hemodynamic featuresHiro Kiyosue
Department of Radiology, Oita Medical University, 1 1 Hasama, Oita 879 55, Japan
Radiographics 23:921-37; discussion 937. 2003..The majority of gastric varices can be treated successfully with a combination of these techniques. However, accurate assessment of the variceal hemodynamic pattern is the most important factor in ensuring successful treatment...
- Endovascular coil trapping for ruptured vertebral artery dissecting aneurysms by using double microcatheters technique in the acute stageY Kai
Department of Neurosurgery, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo, O, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 145:447-51; discussion 451. 2003..We evaluated the efficacy of coil trapping for the ruptured VA dissecting aneurysms using the double microcatheters technique...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varices: the relationship between the clinical outcome and gastrorenal shunt occlusionKenichi Katoh
Department of Radiology, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
BMC Med Imaging 10:2. 2010..The purpose of this study is to retrospectively evaluate the technical aspects of B-RTO and the recurrence of gastric varices after treatment with this procedure...
- Transcatheter closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defects: early and long-term resultsGianfranco Butera
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and GUCH Unit, Policlinico San Donato, Instituto Ricerca E Cura A Carattere Scientifico, San Donato Milanese, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:1189-95. 2007..We sought to analyze safety, efficacy, and follow-up results of percutaneous closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defects (pmVSD)...
- Multimodal treatment of ruptured dissecting aneurysms of the vertebral artery during the acute stageJun ichiro Hamada
Department of Neurosurgery, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
J Neurosurg 99:960-6. 2003..The goal of this study was to implement an algorithm for and assess the multimodal (endovascular and microsurgical) treatment of patients with ruptured dissecting aneurysms of the vertebral artery (VA) during the acute stage...
- Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for the treatment of gastric varices and hepatic encephalopathyT Fukuda
Department of Radiology, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:327-36. 2001..To evaluate the long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) for the treatment of gastric varices (GV) and hepatic encephalopathy...
- Balloon occlusion of the distal coronary sinus facilitates mitral isthmus ablationKelvin C K Wong
Oxford Heart Centre, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Heart Rhythm 8:833-9. 2011..Mitral isthmus ablation is challenging. Blood flow in the coronary sinus (CS) may act as a heat sink and reduce the efficacy of radiofrequency ablation...
- Transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale (PFO) in patients with paradoxical embolism. Periprocedural safety and mid-term follow-up results of three different device occluder systemsM Braun
Internal Medicine II, Department of Cardiology, Technical University of Dresden, Fetscherstr 76, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:424-30. 2004..The aim of the present study was to evaluate three different occluder systems in respect to (a) the safety and practicability and (b) the mid-term risk of recurrent thromboembolic events...
- Short-term complications of retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices in patients with portal hypertension: effects of obliteration of major portosystemic shuntsR Shimoda
Gastroenterology Division, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, Maebashi, Japan
Abdom Imaging 30:306-13. 2005..Thus, B-RTO is a safe and effective management of fundic varices. However, short-term hemodynamic change after B-RTO may cause gastric mucosal damage. Pulmonary infarction and pleural effusion are potential complications...
- Retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices associated with large collateral veins or a large gastrorenal shuntKazuya Sugimori
Gastroenterological Center, Yokohama City University Medical Center, 4 57 Urafune cho, Minami Ku, Yokohama 232 0024, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:113-8. 2005..There have been no complications or recurrences of gastric varices in any of the patients during the follow-up period...
- Development of thrombus in the major systemic and portal veins after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for treating gastric variceal bleeding: its frequency and outcome evaluation with CTSung Ki Cho
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Ilwon dong 50, Kangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:529-38. 2008....
- Therapeutic effect of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration on portal-systemic encephalopathy in patients with liver cirrhosisT Kato
First Department of Internal Medicine, Gifu University School of Medicine
Intern Med 40:688-91. 2001..Additional B-RTO was required and effective in 2 of them. CONCLUSION: B-RTO is an effective treatment for chronic recurrent hepatic encephalopathy with an angiographically proven portal-systemic shunt...
- Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale: impact of device design on safety and efficacyM Schwerzmann
Cardiology, Swiss Cardiovascular Centre Bern, University Hospital Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Heart 90:186-90. 2004..To compare the safety and efficacy of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale (PFO) with the Amplatzer PFO occluder (Amplatzer) or the PFO STAR device (STAR) in patients with presumed paradoxical embolism...
- Carotid perfusion CT with balloon occlusion and acetazolamide challenge test: feasibilityRajan Jain
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, University Hospital UH B2 A209, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Radiology 231:906-13. 2004..Patients with asymmetric blood flow and abnormal response to the acetazolamide challenge test may require a revascularization procedure to protect them from delayed ischemic stroke...
- Outcomes after transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale in patients with paradoxical embolismVerna Harms
Cardiovascular Research, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, Washington Seattle University, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:1312-5. 2007..In conclusion, transcatheter patent foramen ovale closure is associated with a low recurrent stroke rate in long-term follow-up...
- Temporary balloon occlusion and ethanol injection for preoperative embolization of carotid-body tumorMichael Horowitz
Department of Neurosurgery, Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian University Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 81:536-8, 540, 542 passim. 2002We report on the preoperative embolization of a carotid-body paraganglioma by temporary balloon occlusion and ethanol injection. Complete devascularization was achieved without complication...
- Indications for the closure of patent foramen ovaleMichael J Landzberg
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Service, Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Heart 90:219-24. 2004
- Role of balloon occlusion for mononuclear bone marrow cell deposition after intracoronary injection in pigs with reperfused myocardial infarctionPaschalis Tossios
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur Heart J 29:1911-21. 2008..To test the utility of balloon occlusion, mononuclear bone marrow cell (MNC) retention after intracoronary infusion without balloon (IC/noB) was ..
- Endovascular treatment of aneurysms in the cavernous sinus: a systematic review on balloon occlusion of the parent vessel and embolization with coilsIrene C van der Schaaf
University Department of Neurology, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stroke 33:313-8. 2002b>Balloon occlusion of the parent vessel and endosaccular coiling are both frequently used for treatment of intracavernous aneurysms of the carotid artery...
- Experience with transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defects using the Amplatzer septal occluder: a single centre study in 236 consecutive patientsG Fischer
Department of Paediatric Cardiology and Biomedical Engineering, Universitatsklinikum Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Heart 89:199-204. 2003..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defects (ASD) with the Amplatzer septal occluder...
- Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric fundal varices: hepatic deterioration links to portosystemic shunt syndromeMasafumi Kumamoto
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:1129-35. 2010..It is well known that a large portosystemic shunt develops during portal hypertension. In this study, we studied the long-term effects of a large splenorenal shunt (SRS) on liver function and survival...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric variceal bleeding: its feasibility compared with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntYoung Ho Choi
Department of Radiology, Seoul City Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 4:109-16. 2003..Changes in the Child-Pugh score before and after each procedure in each group were statistically analyzed by means of Wilcoxon's signed rank test...
- Resolution of right heart enlargement after closure of secundum atrial septal defect with transcatheter techniqueH W Kort
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis Children's Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 38:1528-32. 2001..Decrease in RA area is inversely proportional to age at time of ASD closure. Long-term follow-up is required to evaluate the clinical impact of persistently increased RA size...
- Transcatheter closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defect: is the risk of heart block too high a price?Ian D Sullivan
Heart 93:284-6. 2007..The late development of heart block in paediatric patients following device closure of a perimembranous ventricular septal defect may be a cause for concern...
- Use of the Amplatzer muscular ventricular septal defect occluder for closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defectsM Szkutnik
Department of Congenital Heart Disease and Pediatric Cardiology, Silesian Center for Heart Disease, Zabrze, Poland
Heart 93:355-8. 2007..Experience with the use of the Amplatzer muscular ventricular septal defect occluder (MVSO) to close selected PmVSDs is presented...
- Efficacy of a proximal occlusion catheter with reversal of flow in the prevention of embolic events during carotid artery stenting: an experimental analysisT Ohki
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Vasc Surg 33:504-9. 2001..In addition, pressure measurements relevant to the clinical application of this device were obtained from 10 patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy...
- Prophylactic balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varices in compensated cirrhosisYoshitaka Takuma
Department of Internal Medicine, National Hospital Organization Iwakuni Clinical Center, Yamaguchi, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:1245-52. 2005..We investigated the effectiveness of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) for the treatment of gastric fundal varices...
- Emergency balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varicesHirotaka Arai
Department of Gastroenterology, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, 3 20 14 Asahi cho, and Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, 371 0014, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:964-71. 2005..We evaluated the efficacy of emergency balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) performed within 24 h after initial hemostasis for the prevention of rebleeding from ruptured gastric varices...
- High-flow arterioportal fistula: treatment with detachable balloon occlusionS Akpek
Department of Radiology, Gazi University, School of Medicine, Besevler, 06510 Ankara, Turkey
Abdom Imaging 26:277-80. 2001..Proper selection of the technique and embolic material is very important for the success of the procedure. We present a case with high-flow arterioportal fistula treated with transarterial embolization using detachable balloons...
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma with hepatic arteriovenous shunt after temporary balloon occlusion of hepatic veinJong Hyeog Lee
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Ajou University College of Medicine, Woncheon dong, Paldal Gu, Suwon Si, Gyeonggi do 442 721, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:377-82. 2007..The purpose of this study is to assess temporary balloon occlusion as a means of preventing pulmonary complications during TACE of hepatocellular carcinoma with AV shunt.
- Application of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration to gastric varices complicating refractory ascitesTetsuya Fukuda
Department of Radiology, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7 5 2, Kusunokicho, Chuoku, Kobe, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:64-7. 2004..Although further experience is needed, our experience points to the likelihood of the amelioration of ascites after B-RTO...
- Randomized evaluation of the TriActiv balloon-protection flush and extraction system for the treatment of saphenous vein graft diseaseJoseph P Carrozza
Section of Interventional Cardiology Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:1677-83. 2005..Exton, Pennsylvania), a balloon-protection flush and extraction device, with an embolic protection group during treatment of saphenous venous grafts (SVGs)...
- Percutaneous, minimally invasive retrieval of a dislodged and impacted device from the abdominal aorta, four months after closure of an atrial septal defectPhilipp Wagdi
Department of Cardiology, HerzZentrum Hirslanden, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Cardiol 102:1111-2. 2008..In conclusion, this case confirms that bouts of elevated intrathoracic pressure can lead to device dislocation and that it may be possible to successfully retrieve a device percutaneously, even months after implantation...
- Percutaneous closure of ventricular septal defects in children aged <12: early and mid-term resultsGianfranco Butera
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Istituto Policlinico San Donato, Via Morandi, 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Italy
Eur Heart J 27:2889-95. 2006..The aim of the article is to study the safety, efficacy, and follow-up of percutaneous closure of muscular ventricular septal defect (mVSD) and perimembranous ventricular septal defect (pmVSD) in children...
- Effect of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration on the natural history of coexisting esophageal varicesYong Sung Choi
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:974-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine whether the natural history of coexisting EV is affected by BRTO...
- Patent foramen ovale closure in patients with cryptogenic thrombo-embolic events using the Cardia PFO occluderChristian Spies
Section of Cardiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Eur Heart J 27:365-71. 2006..We report our experience with three generations of the Cardia patent foramen ovale (PFO) occluder in patients with cryptogenic thrombo-embolic events (TE)...
- Proximal intracranial internal carotid artery branches: prevalence and importance for balloon occlusion testJason W Allen
Departments of Radiology, Neurology, and Neurosurgery, New York University, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosurg 102:45-52. 2005..identifiable skull base arterial branches that potentially serve as collateral conduits during a balloon occlusion test (BOT) of the internal carotid artery (ICA)...
- Use of Amplatzer duct occluder to close severely hypertensive ducts: utility of transient balloon occlusionAmbuj Roy
Department of Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Sciences Center, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Indian Heart J 57:332-6. 2005..Increasing experience with the Amplatzer duct occluder has made non-surgical closure of even large patent ductus arteriosus simple and safe. However, data on the use of this device in severly hypertensive ducti is sparse...
- Assessment of atrial septal defect size with 3D-transesophageal echocardiography: comparison with balloon methodTony Abdel-Massih
Unité de Cardiologie Pédiatrique, Hopital des Enfants, Toulouse, France
Echocardiography 22:121-7. 2005..Our aim was to compare the BSD and 3D-TEE methods to measure the ASD size before transcatheter closure...
- Surgical management of the atherosclerotic ascending aorta: is endoaortic balloon occlusion safe?Bartolo Zingone
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Trieste, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1709-14. 2006..The safety and the effectiveness of endoaortic occlusion have not been documented in this setting...
- Erythropoietin during porcine aortic balloon occlusion-induced ischemia/reperfusion injuryFlorian Simon
Abteilung Thorax und Gefäbetachirurgie, Sektion Anasthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitatsklinikum, Ulm, Germany
Crit Care Med 36:2143-50. 2008..Therefore, we investigated whether erythropoietin attenuates porcine aortic occlusion ischemia/reperfusion injury...
- The long-term outcome of patients with bleeding gastric varices after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliterationNobuhiko Hiraga
Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Programs for Biomedical Research, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:663-72. 2007..The purpose of our study was to evaluate the long-term outcome and complications of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) in patients with hemorrhage from gastric fundal varices...
- Sympathetic stimulation using the cold pressor test increases coronary collateral flowS F de Marchi
Swiss Cardiovascular Center Bern, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 131:351-6. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: During balloon occlusion, collateral flow increased due to collateral recruitment independent of external sympathetic stimulation...
- Prophylactic perioperative hypogastric artery balloon occlusion in abnormal placentationD D Kidney
Department of Radiology, University of California Irvine Medical Center, 101 The City Dr, Orange, CA 92868-3298, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:1521-4. 2001OBJECTIVE: The aim of this paper is to describe and evaluate the technique of prophylactic balloon occlusion of hypogastric arteries in abnormal placentation...
- Effects of intra-aortic balloon occlusion on intestinal perfusion, oxygen metabolism and gastric mucosal PCO2 during experimental hemorrhagic shockR J Cruz
Division of Applied Physiology, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur Surg Res 36:172-8. 2004..Our objective is to determine the impact of aortic occlusion, during hemorrhagic shock, on splanchnic mucosal perfusion and to correlate these findings with other systemic and regional markers of splanchnic ischemia...
- Single arterial occlusion to locate resistance in patients with pulmonary hypertensionP Fesler
Dept of Physiology, Erasme University Hospital Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Eur Respir J 21:31-6. 2003..components based on double exponential fitting analysis of the pulmonary artery pressure decay curve: after balloon occlusion in 36 patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH); at baseline and during the inhalation of 20 parts ..
- Patent foramen ovale: paradoxical embolism and paradoxical dataHarold P Adams
Mayo Clin Proc 79:15-20. 2004
- Removal of a left atrial thrombus adherent to a patent foramen ovale occluderPeter Krieg
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1539-41. 2007..In an emergency procedure, the device and the left atrial thrombus were removed, the septal defect was closed, and a coronary artery bypass grafting was performed. The patient was discharged from the hospital in stable condition...
- Transcatheter device closure of atrial septal defects in the elderly: technical considerations and short-term outcomesL Swan
Toronto Congenital Cardiac Centre for Adults, Division of Cardiology, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Canada
Int J Cardiol 107:207-10. 2006..The aim of this study was, therefore, to assess the safety and efficacy of device closure in patients >60 years...
- A modified Cook sheath for closure of a large secundum atrial septal defectChristian Spies
Section of Cardiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 70:286-9. 2007..However, the initial case report was complicated by malfunction and longitudinal splitting of the sheath. We describe the successful use of a modified delivery sheath for closure of a large atrial septal defect with a deficient rim...
- Transcatheter closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defect with amplatzer membranous occluderS R Anil
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Apollo Children s Heart Hospital, Hyderabad
Indian Heart J 57:698-703. 2005..We report the early and mid-term results of our experience with the new asymmetric Amplatzer membranous ventricular septal defect occluder...
- Crowded atrial septumBernhard Meier
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 70:274-5. 2007
- Emergent surgical retrieval of embolized atrial septal defect closure deviceChristopher J Knott-Craig
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:319-21. 2008..We present a case of an atrial septal defect closure device that embolized to the aortic valve and left main coronary artery ostium, which required emergent surgical retrieval in an unstable child...
- Contemporary clinical management of atrial septal defects in the adultGianluca Rigatelli
Rovigo General Hospital, Section of Congenital and Structural Heart Disease Interventions, Viale Tre Martiri, 45100 Rovigo, Italy
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 5:1135-46. 2007....
- Implantation of a Occlutech Figulla PFO occluder in a patient with patent foramen ovale and history of embolic strokeRadosław Kręcki
Medical University of Łódź, Bieganski Hospital, Łódź, Poland
Cardiol J 15:380-2. 2008..The novel Occlutech device described above features easy manipulation, good safety and some constructional innovations that enable the time of antiplatelet prophylaxis to be shortened, thus potentially minimizing procedure related risk...
- Resolution of migraine by transcatheter patent foramen ovale closure with Premere Occlusion System in a preliminary series of patients with previous cerebral ischemiaGianluca Rigatelli
PFO Related Syndromes Management Program, Cardiovascular Diagnosis and Interventions Service, Rovigo General Hospital, Italy
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 70:429-33. 2007..We present the results of transcatheter closure of PFO with the last generation Premere Occlusion System device in a preliminary series of young adults with migraine and previous cerebral ischemia...
- [Endovascular treatment of coronary arterial fistulae in children and adults]P Brenot
Service de radiologie cardio vasculaire, Hopital Marie Lannelongue, 133, av de la Résistance, 92350 Le Plessis Robinson
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 100:373-9. 2007..The choice of material of embolisation should be adapted to the anatomical conditions which determine the success rate and the absence of complications...
- Transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defect using the Amplatzer Septal Occluder: initial results of a single medical center in TaiwanMing Chih Lin
Department of Pediatrics, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 46:17-23. 2005..In conclusion, transcatheter closure of secundum ASD using the Amplatzer Septal Occluder is safe and effective, with a very low complication rate...
- Atrial septal defect in adultsMartin Rosas
Adult Cardiology Department, National Institute of Cardiology of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Timely Top Med Cardiovasc Dis 11:E34. 2007..The safety and efficacy of a transcatheter occluder system was superior to surgery with regard to some complications, although this difference was not significant in young adults (<40 years)...
- Challenging closure of a patent foramen ovale via a superior approachRavinay Bhindi
Department of Cardiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Oxford, OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Invasive Cardiol 20:E18. 2008
- Therapeutic cardiac catheterization for congenital heart disease--a new era in pediatric careK Uzark
Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 16:300-7. 2001..This report describes these interventional procedures, outcomes, potential complications, and implications for nursing care...
- Self-fabricated fenestrated Amplatzer occluders for transcatheter closure of atrial septal defect in patients with left ventricular restriction: midterm resultsB Peters
Dept of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 95:88-92. 2006..We describe technical preparation of the standard occluder, the specific implantation technique, and the initial and the intermediate term results up to 24 months...
- Multiple Amplatzer septal occluder devices for multiple atrial communications: immediate and long-term follow-up resultsSawsan M Awad
Section of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 70:265-73. 2007..We report on the feasibility, effectiveness, and long-term outcome of transcatheter closure of multiple ASD's using multiple ASO devices...
- Transcatheter closure of a residual shunt after surgical repair of traumatic ventricular septal defectJae Hwan Lee
Int J Cardiol 124:e34-6. 2008..Six months later, we performed a successful transcatheter closure of the residual VSD with an Amplatzer muscular VSD occluder...
- Clinical outcomes three years after PLAATO implantationMikhael F El-Chami
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 69:704-7. 2007..It appears to be protective against stroke in intermediate follow-up studies. Hypothesis: The PLAATO system is protective against stroke and is safe in long-term follow-up...
- Long-term impact of transcatheter atrial septal defect closure in adults on cardiac function and exercise capacityAlessandro Giardini
Pediatric Cardiology and Adult Congenital Unit, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Int J Cardiol 124:179-82. 2008..The long-term impact of transcatheter atrial septal defect (ASD) closure on right ventricular (RV) remodeling and exercise capacity is unknown...
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI before and after transcatheter occlusion of patent foramen ovaleOliver K Mohrs
Darmstadt Radiology, Department of Cardiovascular Imaging at Alice Hospital, Dieburger Strasse 29 31, 64287 Darmstadt, Germany
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:844-9. 2007....
- Feasibility and clinical impact of transcatheter closure of interatrial communications after a fenestrated Fontan procedure: medium-term outcomesJaana Pihkala
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, The Variety Club Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories, The Hospital for Sick Children, The University of Toronto School of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 69:1007-14. 2007..This study was to review an institutional experience with transcatheter closure of Fontan fenestrations and its impact on clinical care...
- Retrograde aortic perfusion dislodges a dislodged Amplatzer deviceZubair Luqman
Division of Congenital Cardiac Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:698-9. 2008
- Predictors and clinical outcomes of residual shunt in patients undergoing percutaneous transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovaleAlan Zajarias
Cardiovascular Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Invasive Cardiol 18:533-7. 2006..To determine echocardiographic characteristics that may identify patients likely to have residual right-to-left shunt after percutaneous closure of a patent foramen ovale (PFO)...
- Chymase-Mediated MMP Activation in Ishemia Reperfusion InjuryLOUIS JOSEPH DELL'ITALIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..chest animal model, the proximal left anterior will be occluded using percutaneous coronary intervention balloon occlusion for one hour and reperfusion for two hours...
- Bifunctional Redox Catalyst &Organic Nitrate for Limb ReperfusionANDREW LURIE SALZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In a large animal model of acute LIRI (n=6 minipigs per group) induced by an endovascular balloon occlusion of the femoral artery for 6 h, we will establish the dose-response of parenteral CM (0, 10, 30, 80 mg/kg/day ..
- Systemic molecular therapy for muscular dystrophyHansell H Stedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of gene transfer to muscle during systemic, retrograde infusion in the setting of profound hypothermia and balloon occlusion of the great vessels...
- Improving safety and efficacy of gene therapy with HDAdPhilip Ng; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have developed a balloon occlusion catheter method of delivering helper-dependent adenoviral vectors preferentially into the liver of nonhuman primates...
- HDAd-mediated gene therapy for hemophilia BNicola Brunetti Pierri; Fiscal Year: 2009..This method entails the use of balloon occlusion catheters to deliver HDAd preferentially to the liver of nonhuman primates...
- Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary HypertensionTIMOTHY MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The fragments will be subjected to liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy with data-dependent MS-2 data acquisition, followed by computer-assisted sequence analysis. ..
- Study of Carotid Occlusion and Neurocognition (RECON)RANDOLPH MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Measuring the Efficacy of Endovascular Treatment of AAAPeter Faries; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Ischemic Spasticity: Modulation by GAD65 Gene DeliveryMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SPINAL NEURAL ACTIVITY--ROLE IN POST ISCHEMIC INJURYMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2001..The role of HSP72 expression in protection will be tested by examining the effects of antisense pretreatment on HSP72 expression and the same three measures of ischemic damage. ..
- Ischemic Arrest, Cytokines, and Organ DysfunctionJames Niemann; Fiscal Year: 2008..In aim 3, the effect of anti-TNF therapy on long-term survival and neurologic outcome will be evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ischemic Paraplegia: Modulation by Stem Cell ImplantMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mechanisms of Scar-Free Healing in the Fetal ArteryDARRELL CASS; Fiscal Year: 2008..His long term objective is to apply this knowledge clinically in both children and adults to limit vascular inflammation, neointimal hyperplasia and scarring. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..SA3 will compare local measurements of recruitment by PET with the global measures of recruitment by NO uptake kinetics and lung mechanics. ..
- Pediatric Thin-Film TiNi Catheter-Based Heart ValveDaniel Levi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II studies will focus on accelerated wear testing, long-term in vivo animal testing, and manufacturing issues. ..
- Hepatoma derived growth factor and vascular smooth muscle cell proliferationAllen D Everett; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose here to determine the mechanism regulating the activity of this protein to provide the basis for the future design of new drugs to treat cardiovascular disease. ..
- Visualizing the Substrate for Sudden Cardiac DeathVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Randomized trial of doxorubicin beads for arterial embolization of hepatocellularKaren Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study is designed to determine the incremental value of arterial chemotherapy, as well as to validate an automated imaging method of assessing response to treatment. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Substrate Mapping & Ablation of Ventricular TachycardiaVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..