autologous blood transfusion
Summary: Reinfusion of blood or blood products derived from the patient's own circulation. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Successful blood conservation during craniosynostotic correction with dual therapy using procrit and cell saverKara Krajewski
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:101-5. 2008..As a blood conserving strategy, we studied the use of 1) recombinant human erythropoietin or Procrit (to optimize preoperative hematocrit) and 2) Cell Saver (to recycle the slow, constant ooze of blood during the prolonged case)...
- Autologous blood transfusion after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, prospective study comparing predonated and postoperative salvage bloodSteven T Woolson
Stanford University Hospital, Stanford, California, USA
J Arthroplasty 18:243-9. 2003..Postoperative blood salvage was as effective as predonated autologous blood in preventing the risk associated with allogeneic blood after TKA...
- The reduction of preoperative autologous blood donation for primary total hip or knee arthroplasty: the effect on subsequent transfusion ratesClaude Couvret
Department of Anesthesiology and Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospitals of Tours, Trousseau Hospital, Tours, France
Anesth Analg 94:815-23, table of contents. 2002..0001). We conclude that incorporation of patients' individual factors improves the efficiency of transfusion for total hip and total knee arthroplasty surgeries...
- [Autotransfusion in prosthetic hip surgery]Stephan Rossner
Anestesiavdelingen, Volda sjukehus, Postboks 113, 6101 Volda
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:1328-9. 2006..The aim of the present study was to compare homologue transfusion with mechanical autotransfusion perioperatively in prosthetic hip surgery...
- Autologous blood transfusion in total knee replacement surgeryD Thomas
Morriston Hospital, Swansea NHS Trust, UK
Br J Anaesth 86:669-73. 2001..036). Total patient costs were Pound Sterling 113 greater in the autotransfusion group. We conclude that in this type of surgery post-operative cell salvage is a safe and effective method for reducing allogeneic blood use...
- Oral or intravenous iron as an adjuvant to autologous blood donation in elective surgery: a randomized, controlled studyV Weisbach
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Hemostaseology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Transfusion 39:465-72. 1999....
- Platelet-rich plasma: evidence to support its useRobert E Marx
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine and Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:489-96. 2004
- Low doses of dexamethasone constantly delivered by autologous erythrocytes slow the progression of lung disease in cystic fibrosis patientsLuigia Rossi
Institute of Biological Chemistry G Fornaini, University of Urbino, 61029 Urbino, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 33:57-63. 2004..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the administration of low doses of glucocorticoids in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) by using autologous erythrocytes loaded with dexamethasone 21-phosphate...
- Safety and advantage of perioperative autologous blood transfusion in hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinomaK Kitagawa
Digestive Surgery, Kyoto Kujo Hospital, Japan
Anticancer Res 21:3663-7. 2001The safety and advantages of perioperative autologous blood transfusion (ABT) were evaluated on hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Experience of autologous blood transfusion in an obstetrics and gynaecology departmentG O'Dwyer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Br J Obstet Gynaecol 100:571-4. 1993To demonstrate the potential and effectiveness of autologous blood transfusion in an obstetric and gynaecological practice.
- Cost effectiveness of autologous blood transfusion--a developing country hospital's perspectiveO E Nnodu
Department ofPathology, National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi, Lagos
West Afr J Med 22:10-2. 2003..We conclude that homologous blood transfusion in this hospital is significantly more expensive than autologous transfusion mainly due to greater infective morbidity in homologous blood recipients...
- Autologous blood transfusion--a reviewTeddy Charles Adias
Department of Medical Laboratory Science, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
S Afr J Surg 44:114-6, 118. 2006..This review presents an analysis of autologous transfusion. We conclude that autologous transfusion should form part of a strategy to minimise the risk associated with allogeneic transfusion in Nigeria and other developing countries...
- Fusions and transfusions. An analysis of blood loss and autologous replacement during lumbar fusionsR G Johnson
Robert H Dedman Memorial Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:358-62. 1989..Multiple-level PLF with instrumentation and all 360 degrees procedures required cell saver and two units of predeposit. Two patients received homologous blood...
- Preliminary reports of autologous blood transfusion in a plastic surgery unitP B Olaitan
Burns and Plastic Unit, Department of Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria
Trop Doct 36:20-1. 2006We commenced autologous blood transfusion at the plastic surgery unit of the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria in January 2001. Forty-three patients who have so far had autologous blood transfusion up to June 2004 are reviewed...
- Autologous blood transfusion during emergency trauma operationsCarlos V R Brown
Trauma Services, University Medical Center Brackenridge, 601 E 15th St, Austin, TX 78701, USA
Arch Surg 145:690-4. 2010....
- Cell salvage in obstetricsJ Allam
Magill Department of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Management, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:37-45. 2008..Current evidence supports the use of cell salvage in obstetrics, which is likely to become increasingly commonplace, but more data are required concerning its clinical use...
- Detection and removal of fat particles from postoperative salvaged blood in orthopedic surgeryGemma Ramírez
International Multidisciplinary Autotransfusion Study Group GIEMSA, Department of Hematology, University Hospital Virgen de la Victoria, School of Medicine, University of Malaga, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Transfusion 42:66-75. 2002....
- Coronary artery surgery: cardiotomy suction or cell salvage?Kelvin Lau
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Brompton Hospital, and NHLI at Imperial College, London SW3 6NP, UK
J Cardiothorac Surg 2:46. 2007..There is therefore no indication for the routine use of cardiotomy suction in on-pump coronary artery surgery...
- Postsurgical pleurodesis with autologous blood in patients with persistent air leakJ J Rivas de Andrés
Thoracic Surgery Service, Hospital Juan Canalejo, A Coruna, Spain
Ann Thorac Surg 70:270-2. 2000..Persistent air leak after operation on the lung is one of the most common problems encountered by thoracic surgeons. We present 6 patients who underwent pleurodesis with autologous blood for persistent air leak after operation...
- Coronary surgery without cardiotomy suction and autotransfusion reduces the postoperative systemic inflammatory responseMartin Westerberg
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Ann Thorac Surg 78:54-9. 2004..We compared inflammatory activation, myocardial injury, bleeding, and hemoglobin levels in patients undergoing coronary surgery with or without retransfusion of cardiotomy suction blood and mediastinal shed blood...
- Early versus late replacement of autotransfused blood in elective spinal surgery. A prospective randomized studyT J Albert
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:1071-8. 1993..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Circulating particles during cardiac surgeryHenrik Jonsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Center for Heart and Lung Disease, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 8:538-42. 2009..Particles are found in shed blood at all times during cardiac surgery, and when this blood was retransfused an increase was seen in particle concentration in the heart-lung machine...
- Detection of fat particles in postoperative salvaged blood in orthopedic surgeryManuel Muñoz
Transfusion 44:620-2. 2004
- Autologous blood patch in persistent air leaks after pulmonary resectionAndrea Droghetti
Thoracic Surgery Division, Carlo Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:556-9. 2006..Persistent air leak is among the most common complications after pulmonary resection, leading to prolonged hospitalization and increased costs. At present there is not yet a consensus on their treatment...
- Autologous blood transfusion for cardiopulmonary bypass: effects of storage conditions on platelet functionIan R Ramnarine
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 20:541-7. 2006..A factor in the uncertain benefits of intraoperative autologous blood transfusion may be the effects of storage on platelet function...
- Autotransfusion of washed shed mediastinal fluid decreases the requirement for autologous blood transfusion following cardiac surgery: a prospective randomized trialM J Dalrymple-Hay
Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 15:830-4. 1999..Transfusion reactions, infection risk and cost should stimulate us to decrease this transfusion rate. We test the efficacy of autotransfusion following surgery in a prospective randomized trial...
- Autologous blood pleurodesis for persistent air leakK Athanassiadi
Thoracic, Cardiac, Transplantation and Vascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 57:476-9. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the results of blood pleurodesis in patients with persistent air leak...
- Intraoperative autologous blood transfusion for hemoperitoneum resulting from ectopic pregnancy or ovarian bleeding during laparoscopic surgeryTakashi Yamada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hirakata City Hospital, Osaka, Japan
JSLS 7:97-100. 2003Our purpose was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of intraoperative autologous blood transfusion during laparoscopic surgery for hemoperitoneum in benign gynecologic disease.
- In vitro immunosuppressive activity of soluble HLA class I and Fas ligand molecules: do they play a role in autologous blood transfusion?M Ghio
Departments of Internal, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Transfusion 41:988-96. 2001....
- Indications and contraindications of cell salvageJonathan H Waters
Department of General Anesthesiology and Clinical Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Transfusion 44:40S-4S. 2004
- Management of patients with ectopic pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneum by laparoscopic surgery with intraoperative autologous blood transfusionAkihiro Takeda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu Prefectural Tajimi Hospital, Tajimi, Gifu, Japan
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:43-8. 2006To evaluate the feasibility and safety of surgical laparoscopy with intraoperative autologous blood transfusion for ectopic pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneum.
- A prospective, randomized platelet-function study of heparinized oxygenators and cardiotomy suctionGregory A Nuttall
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 20:554-61. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine if substitution of a heparin-coated oxygenator and salvaged autologous blood for cardiotomy suction would improve platelet function...
- Pericardial suction blood separation attenuates inflammatory response and hemolysis after cardiopulmonary bypassChristian A Skrabal
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Rostock, Schillingallee 35, 18057, Rostock, Germany
Scand Cardiovasc J 40:219-23. 2006..We investigated various indicators of inflammation and blood cell activation associated with CPB and re-transfusion of PSB during cardiac surgery...
- A prospective randomised comparison of cardiotomy suction and cell saver for recycling shed blood during cardiac surgeryAnita E Jewell
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:633-6. 2003..Recycling shed blood with cardiotomy suction is an important source of cerebral fat microemboli. A cell saver may reduce this...
- The inflammatory response to recycled pericardial suction blood and the influence of cell-savingStaffan Svenmarker
Department of Surgical and Perioperative Science, Umea University Hospital, Sweden
Scand Cardiovasc J 37:158-64. 2003..To investigate the inflammatory and cellular response attributed to conventional cardiotomy suction vs cell-saver during cardiac surgery...
- Current applications of platelet gels in facial plastic surgerySumeet Bhanot
Section of Otolaryngology, Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Facial Plast Surg 18:27-33. 2002..When applied to bony reconstruction it provides adhesion for the consolidation of cancellous bone and comminuted fracture segments...
- Smart suction device for less blood trauma: a comparison with Cell SaverX M Mueller
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery and Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:507-11. 2001..This study was set-up to compare this recently designed suction system to a Cell Saver system in order to investigate their effects on blood elements during prolonged intrathoracic aspiration...
- Hemodynamic effects of cardiotomy suction bloodMartin Westerberg
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:1352-7. 2006..We investigated the effect of cardiotomy suction blood on systemic vascular resistance in vivo and whether cell-saver processing of suction blood affects the vascular response...
- Strategies for minimizing blood loss in orthopedic surgeryJoseph D Tobias
Department of Child Health, Division of Pediatric Critical Care, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, 65212, USA
Semin Hematol 41:145-56. 2004....
- Effect of substituting allogenic blood transfusion with autologous blood transfusion on outcomes after radical oesophagectomy for cancerMasashi Takemura
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 11:293-300. 2005..The oncologic benefit of avoiding allogenic blood transfusion in oesophageal cancer resection has not been studied...
- Efficacy and cost considerations of intraoperative autologous transfusion in spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis with predeposited bloodT A Siller
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:848-52. 1996..Blood requirements for this procedure can be met less expensively and more reliably by merely donating one's own blood...
- A study of an educational intervention to decrease inappropriate preoperative autologous blood donation: its effectiveness and the effect on subsequent transfusion rates in elective hysterectomyM H Kanter
Department of Pathology, Kaiser Permanente, Woodland Hills, California 91365, USA
Transfusion 39:801-7. 1999....
- Hemodilution as a method to reduce transfusion requirements in adolescent spine fusion surgeryL A Copley
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:219-22; discussion 223-4. 1999..Cell saver was not shown to be effective, and its selective use is recommended...
- Combined use of autologous transfusion techniques to avoid allogeneic transfusion in spinal fusion surgery with instrumentationK S Park
Department of Anaesthesiology, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, South Korea
Int J Clin Pract 58:260-3. 2004..In conclusion, an AT is effective for preventing the exposure of allogeneic blood in spinal fusion surgery. The combined use of multiple AT techniques may further improve its efficacy...
- The use of autologous blood in the surgical treatment of spinal disordersM Oga
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:1381-5. 1992A program of autologous blood transfusion in 101 patients who underwent spinal surgery was analyzed. Autologous transfusion was achieved by intraoperative blood salvage using a cell saver and with predeposited blood...
- Quality of red blood cells using autotransfusion devices: a comparative analysisCyril J Serrick
Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
J Extra Corpor Technol 35:28-34. 2003..In conclusion, although all cell-saving devices use the same theory of centrifugation, the actual quality of the washed RBC product differs widely from one device to another...
- Erythropoietin response to anaemia is not altered by surgery or recombinant human erythropoietin therapyL T Goodnough
Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Laboratory Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110
Br J Haematol 87:695-9. 1994..We conclude that preoperative recombinant human erythropoietin therapy and/or surgery do not adversely affect the postoperative erythropoietin response to anaemia...
- Transfusion management in pediatric and adolescent scoliosis surgery. Efficacy of autologous bloodD J Murray
Department of Anesthesia, Washington University School of Medicine at St Louis Children s Hospital, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2735-40. 1997....
- Autologous blood transfusion in radical hysterectomy with and without erythropoietin therapyMonica Hyllner
Departments of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Obstet Gynecol 99:757-62. 2002..To investigate whether preoperative treatment with erythropoietin facilitates the collection of a sufficient amount of autologous blood in a short period of time...
- Preoperative autologous blood donation by elderly patients undergoing orthopaedic surgeryG Gandini
Servizio di Immunoematologia e Trasfusione Ospedale Policlinico, Via delle Menegone, 10 37134 Verona, Italy
Vox Sang 80:95-100. 2001..To assess the feasibility of a programme of predeposit in elderly patients undergoing elective orthopaedic surgery...
- Efficacy of autotransfusion in spine surgery: comparison of autotransfusion alone and with hemodilution and apheresisR E Blais
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2795-800. 1996..Autologous transfusion of all blood products was significantly increased...
- Effect of autologous blood donation in patients undergoing elective spine surgeryL T Goodnough
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:172-5. 1992....
- Reducing allogeneic transfusion in cardiac surgery: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of antifibrinolytic therapies used in addition to intra-operative cell salvageP Diprose
Department of Anaesthesia, Southampton University Hospitals, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Br J Anaesth 94:271-8. 2005..This prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigated practices to avoid transfusion in patients undergoing first-time cardiac surgery...
- [Indications for blood transfusion during orthopedic surgery]O Habler
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Intensivmedizin und Schmerztherapie der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt
Orthopade 33:774-83. 2004....
- Safety and efficacy of perioperative cell salvage and autotransfusion after coronary artery bypass grafting: a randomized trialGavin J Murphy
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1553-9. 2004....
- Acute normovolemic hemodilutionDavid Murray
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Pediatric Anesthesia, Saint Louis Children s Hospital, 660 S Euclid, Box 8054, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Eur Spine J 13:S72-5. 2004..In contrast to autologous pre-donation, autologous blood removed during acute normovolemic hemodilution is usually stored and re-infused in the operating room...
- Effects of standardized acute normovolemic hemodilution on intraoperative allogeneic blood transfusion in patients undergoing major maxillofacial surgeryO Habler
Clinic of Anesthesiology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:467-75. 2004....
- Risks associated with blood transfusion after total knee arthroplastyMatthew R Bong
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York, New York, USA
J Arthroplasty 19:281-7. 2004..A patient with a preoperative hemoglobin >150 g/L or who is younger than age 65 with a preoperative hemoglobin >130 g/L may not benefit from pre-donation, and a high rate of wastage may result...
- Haemodilutional effect of standard fluid management limits the effectiveness of acute normovolaemic haemodilution in AAA surgery--results of a pilot trialL Wolowczyk
Department of Surgery, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 26:405-11. 2003..To evaluate the impact of standard fluid management on the effectiveness of ANH as a blood conservation method in elective open AAA repair...
- Preoperative autologous blood donation for cardiac surgery in childrenNarutoshi Hibino
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ehime Prefectural Central Hospital, 83 Kasuga, Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 16:21-4. 2008..Preoperative autologous blood donation appears to be safe and effective in reducing homologous transfusions, even in children weighing less than 15 kg...
- Blood management for patients with hemoglobin level lower than 130 g/l in total knee arthroplastyYukihide Minoda
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka City University Medical School, 1 4 3 Asahimachi, Abeno Ku, 545 8585 Osaka, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:317-9. 2004..We introduced intra- and postoperative blood salvage with the Cell Saver for patients with a baseline hemoglobin level lower than 130 g/l and analyzed the frequency of allogeneic blood transfusion...
- Influence of early re-infusion of autologous shed mediastinal blood on clinical outcome after cardiac surgeryEdmundas Sirvinskas
Kaunas University of Medicine, Institute for Biomedical Research, Kaunas, Lithuania
Perfusion 22:345-52. 2007....
- [Rational use of blood cell products in orthopedics and traumatology]S M Knöller
Department für Orthopädie und Traumatologie, Klinik für Orthopädie des Klinikums der Albert Ludwigs Universität Freiburg
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 142:109-14. 2004..The risk of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B and C viruses as well as the development of costs has changed the use of homologous blood cell products...
- A randomized controlled trial of cell salvage in routine cardiac surgeryAndrew A Klein
Department of Anaesthesia, Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, CB23 3RE, UK
Anesth Analg 107:1487-95. 2008....
- Transfusion medicine : support of patients undergoing cardiac surgeryL T Goodnough
Department of Medicine and Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 1:337-51. 2001..The guidelines for the use of autologous blood transfusion are controversial and it does not appear to be cost effective compared with allogeneic blood ..
- The influence of allogeneic red blood cell transfusion compared with 100% oxygen ventilation on systemic oxygen transport and skeletal muscle oxygen tension after cardiac surgeryStefan Suttner
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anesth Analg 99:2-11. 2004..This improved oxygenation status was most likely due to an increase in convective oxygen transport with a large driving gradient for diffusion of plasma-dissolved oxygen into the tissue...
- A mathematical model of cell salvage compared and combined with normovolemic hemodilutionJonathan H Waters
Department of General Anesthesiology and the Department of Biostatistics, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Transfusion 44:1412-6. 2004..Mathematical models have been used to describe the factors that affect cell salvage (CS) and normovolemic hemodilution (ANH). Here, the CS and ANH models were used to compare these two techniques alone or in combination with each other...
- Delayed intraoperative hydration limits blood loss during radical retropubic prostatectomyBenjamin J Davies
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232, USA
Urology 64:712-6. 2004..To evaluate the effects of limiting hydration during prostate mobilization on intraoperative blood loss...
- Complications related to blood transfusion in surgical patients: data from the French national survey on anesthesia-related deathsYves Auroy
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Military Teaching Hospital Percy, Clamart, France
Transfusion 47:184S-189S; discussion 201S. 2007
- [Risk factors for transfusion in primary knee arthroplasty]A Biarnés Suñé
Departamento de Anestesiología y Reanimación, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:18-24. 2006..Transfusion is becoming safer but is not free of risk. It is important to establish a good approach to transfusion management and calculate real losses. Risk factors for transfusion should be identified...
- [Reduced allogenic transfusion requirements through reinfusion of processed shed blood]M Munoz
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:65-7; author reply 67. 2006
- [A case of economizing on blood products for which both the patient and the anaesthesiologists paid dearly]J M Desmonts
département d anesthésie réanimation chirurgicale, CHU Bichat Claude Bernard, université Paris VII Denis Diderot, Paris Cedex 18, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:753-7. 2007
- Risks, benefits, alternatives and indications of allogenic blood transfusionsC Madjdpour
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Minerva Anestesiol 72:283-98. 2006..This information will help the physician to judiciously use RBC transfusions when they are indeed indicated...
- [Foreign blood saving measures in orthopedic surgery]P Reize
Orthopadische Universitatsklinik, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tubingen
Orthopade 36:537-43. 2007..For various reasons, we do not recommend the transfusion of wound drainage. This article describes the various methods for bloodless medical care...
- Blood managementLawrence T Goodnough
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, M C 5626, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:695-701. 2007..We provide an overview of the principles of blood management: the appropriate use of blood and blood components, with a goal of minimizing their use...
- [Transfusion requirements in primary knee arthroplasty: impact of using postoperative blood salvage]M Muñoz Gómez
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:587-8; author reply 588-9. 2006
- A new practical technique to reduce allogeneic blood exposure and hospital costs while preserving clotting factors after cardiopulmonary bypass: the HemobagKeith A Samolyk
Address for correspondence Keith A Samolyk, CCP, LCP, Global Blood Resources LLC, PO Box 383, Somers, CT 06071, USA
Perfusion 20:343-9. 2005..Infusion of the Hemobag concentrate appears to recover safely substantial proteins, clotting factor and cell concentration for all types of cardiac procedures, maintaining the security of a primed circuit...
- Clinical efficacy of postoperative autologous transfusion of filtered shed blood in hip and knee arthroplastyD Strumper
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Transfusion 44:1567-71. 2004..For this purpose, the effect of reinfusion of drain blood, via a postoperative wound drainage and reinfusion system, on the need for allogeneic blood transfusion was evaluated...
- Intraoperative use of platelet-plasmapheresis in vascular surgeryAmira M Safwat
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
J Clin Anesth 14:10-4. 2002....
- Effects of cell saver autologous blood transfusion on blood loss and homologous blood transfusion requirements in patients undergoing cardiac surgery on- versus off-cardiopulmonary bypass: a randomised trialGunaratnam Niranjan
Cardiothoracic Department, St George s, Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:271-7. 2006..In this randomised controlled study we investigated the effects of autologous cell saver blood transfusion on blood loss and homologous blood transfusion requirements in patients undergoing CABG on- versus off-CPB...
- [Risk factors for the determination of transfusion requirements during implantation of hip endoprostheses]J Sauer
Chirurgische Klinik, HELIOS Kliniken Schwerin
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 142:673-8. 2004..We have carried out an observational study to determine the pre-operative risk factors for transfusion in patients undergoing implantation of a hip prosthesis...
- Intraoperative blood salvage: fluid replacement calculationsJohn C Drummond
Department of Anesthesia of the University of California, San Diego, USA
Anesth Analg 100:645-9, table of contents. 2005..5 and 8.0 (respectively) times the volume of the IBS recovery. These volumes may be larger than have been appreciated by some clinicians...
- Influence of body core temperature on blood loss and transfusion requirements during off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: a comparison of 3 warming systemsC K Hofer
Institute of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Triemli City Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:838-43. 2005....
- Blood conservation in pediatric anesthesiaB Craig Weldon
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University School of Medicine, 3200 Erwin Road, P O Box 3094, Suite 3425 DN, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Anesthesiol Clin North America 23:347-61, vii. 2005....
- Partial bowls using the Haemonetics Cell Saver 5: does it produce a quality product?Cyril J Serrick
Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
J Extra Corpor Technol 37:161-4. 2005..However, there is a reduction in red blood cell recovery...
- Transfusion free surgery: single institution experience of 27 consecutive liver transplants in Jehovah's WitnessesNicolas Jabbour
The Division of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery and Transplantation Surgery, University of Southern California University Hospital and Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:412-7. 2005..In this article, we provide an effective strategy to accomplish orthotopic liver transplantation without transfusion...
- Blood transfusion requirement prediction in patients undergoing primary total hip and knee arthroplastyS Guerin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St Mary s Orthopaedic Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Transfus Med 17:37-43. 2007..0001). The pre-operative haemoglobin level of the patient was the only variable to independently predict the need for blood transfusion after primary hip or knee arthroplasty...
- [Autotransfusion of red blood cell from cardiopulmonary bypass circuit blood after cardiac surgery]Tadas Lenkutis
Clinic of Cardiac Surgery, Kaunas University of Medicine Hospital, Eiveniu 2, 3007 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 38:213-6. 2002....
- Orthopedic Surgery Transfusion Hemoglobin European Overview (OSTHEO) study: blood management in elective knee and hip arthroplasty in EuropeNadia Rosencher
Cochin Hospital, 27 rue du Fbg St Jacques, 75014 Paris, France
Transfusion 43:459-69. 2003..The purpose of this study was to assess current practices in blood management in elective orthopedic surgery in Europe...
- The use of intraoperative autotransfusion during cranial vault remodeling for craniosynostosisAnand K Deva
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, N Y U Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:58-63. 2002..In the context of unproven cost benefit and increasing similar evidence from other comparative studies, emphasis should be directed to other medical and surgical strategies to minimize the need for perioperative blood transfusion...
- Blood-transfusion requirements and blood salvage in donors undergoing right hepatectomy for living related liver transplantationJürgen T Lutz
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Anesth Analg 96:351-5, table of contents. 2003..Transfusion of banked blood can be avoided in most patients when intraoperative cell salvage, preoperative autologous blood donation, and intraoperative hemodilution are combined...
- Acute isovolaemic haemodilution in two Jehovah's Witnesses presenting for major intracranial surgeryS D Amanor-Boadu
Department of Anaesthesia, College of Medicine, University College Hospital UCH, Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 31:79-81. 2002..Postoperative PCV were 42% and 25%. The latter improved to 30% over the following two weeks with oral haematinics. The two cases are discussed in the light of the experience gained...
- A mathematical model of cell salvage efficiencyJonathan H Waters
Department of General Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue E31, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1312-7, table of contents. 2002..This mathematical model suggests that CS can be a highly effective blood conservation method when red blood cell collection is optimal...
- [Giant hemangioma of the tongue: combined use of perioperative blood conservation procedures]P Lang
Klinik für Anästhesiologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany
Anaesthesist 51:470-4. 2002..6 g/dl. In the face of an increasing lactacidosis 2 units of packed red blood cells were transfused on post surgical day 1...
- Study of five cell salvage machines in coronary artery surgeryJ F Burman
Department of Haematology, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP, UK
Transfus Med 12:173-9. 2002..Cell savers are a valuable adjunct to coronary artery surgery, but careful monitoring of coagulation is required when the volumes of either bank blood or salvaged blood are large...
- [Preoperative hemoglobin as the only predictive factor of transfusional needs in knee arthroplasty]J A García-Erce
Servicios de Hematologia y Hemoterapia, Hospital Universitario Miguel Servet, Pa Isabel La Católica, 1 3 50009 Zaragoza
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 49:254-60. 2002..To study transfusion requirements in total knee anthroplasty (TKA) in order to estimate needs and consider possible ways to improve principled management...
- Transfusion medicineArnulf Lorentz
N Engl J Med 347:538-9; author reply 538-9. 2002
- Acute normovolemic hemodilution and intraoperative cell salvage in aortic surgeryFrancesco Torella
Academic Surgery Unit, Education and Research Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 36:31-4. 2002..The objective of this study was to report current transfusion requirements and outcomes in patients undergoing elective aortic surgery with autologous transfusion...
- [Use of erythropoietin in radical prostatectomy]D Pacik
Urologická klinika FN Brno Bohunice
Rozhl Chir 80:443-7. 2001..This enhances the patient's safety in relation to risks ensuing from administration of allogenic blood...
- Blood loss in patients for total knee arthroplastyHiroshi Fujimoto
Study of Biofunctional Recovery and Reconstruction, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 11:149-54. 2003..In patients with Hb between 11.0 and 12.0 g/dl preoperative blood deposition may be planned after consideration of general condition and complication. Patients with Hb lower than 11.0 g/dl should undergo preoperative blood deposition...
- Erythropoietin therapy and preoperative autologous blood donation in children undergoing open heart surgeryV Sonzogni
Department of Anesthesiology, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy
Br J Anaesth 87:429-34. 2001..7%) and to 24 out of 39 (61.5%) in Group 2. Treatment with subcutaneous EPO increases the amount of autologous blood that can be collected and minimizes allogenic blood exposure in children undergoing open heart surgery...
- TRANSFUSION-RELATED VIRAL INFECTIONS AND IMMUNE RESPONSEGirish Vyas; Fiscal Year: 1990..The program complements and strengthens the academic commitment of UCSF faculty to excellence in teaching, research and service in transfusion medicine...
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO IMPROVE AND EXTEND PLATELET STORAGESherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Decision Rules for Multiple Endpoints in Clinical TrialsAJIT TAMHANE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CD4 Immune Reconstitution in SIV InfectionFrancois Villinger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results of these studies will form the basis for future immune reconstitution strategies in human HIV infected patients. ..
- Customizing Family's Sympton Management Skills Post HSCTDeborah Eldredge; Fiscal Year: 2006..The effect size for the efficacy of SAM-Skill will be computed for each outcome variable. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immune Thrombocytopenia and Low-Level Mercury ExposureJodi Segal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Segal with the necessary support for successful completion [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Curcumin/Bioperine in Multiple MyelomaSaroj Vadhan Raj; Fiscal Year: 2005..Knowledge gained from these studies may provide useful information on how best to use these natural products in the treatment of cancer. ..
- Endocytosis in cardiac myocytesIon Jovin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The discoverry of polypeptides that guide macromolecules to specific cellular organelles or compartments can have profound implications for understanding microbial invasion and for refining gene therapy. ..
- Bioengineering Methods to Study Blood SubstitutesAnthony Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Hepatic Arterial Flouridine and IV Bevacizumab for Primary Hepatic MalignancyWilliam Jarnagin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, several important clinical issues are addressed by the proposed correlative studies, the results of which would be of broad general interest in clinical oncology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..